Can you ever go back?(AU/CC/MATURE) Complete 01/29 pg 6

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Hey everyone thanks again for the feedback! I really appreciate it. And thank you to those of you who nominated Melyssa and I for this story, it is greatly appreciated. There is a line from the movie Hope Floats I don’t own it at all!!!! Thanks again and thanks to the lurkers too!

~*~Chapter 20~*~

Stephanie couldn’t believe what she saw on the floor. Max was sitting between the toilet and the shower sobbing. His sobs were uncontrollable and his head was in his hand. She immediately went to him taking a seat next to him and pulling him into her arms.

“Shhh” his head made its way into her lap and she held him while he cried. The tears were streaming down her face. She felt sorry for him, sorry that he was so confused, that he was lost and there was nothing she could do for him.

When he calmed down he stayed in her arms for some time. He knew this wasn’t how it was supposed to be, he was supposed to be a man, and he was supposed to hold her while she cried, he wasn’t supposed to cry.

He sat up and wiped his face and looked at her. Her face was streaked with tears and he reached his hand over and wiped her tears away. His hand stayed on her face and she held his hand to her cheek. She wanted so badly to kiss it like she had done so many times but she fought the urge.

She closed her eyes and kept her hand on his. She didn’t open them even when she felt his lips on hers. She had wanted this for so long, she knew it was wrong but she didn’t fight. She closed the space between them and wrapped her arms around his neck.

He ran his tongue over her bottom lip and she opened her mouth wider. Their tongues battled and they were both hungry for more.

He pulled her up his chest and ran his hand through her hair, he had wanted this, and he needed this. He needed to show her how much he loved her how much he was willing to stay with her. She needed to feel it. But, as much as he tried to pour his heart into her it wasn’t all there.

He started to remove her shirt and she pulled away. “Not here.” She kissed him again and he grabbed her hand and led her back to the bedroom.

They fell on the bed and he slowly removed her bras straps. She had already discarded her pants and shirt on the floor. He wanted her and the need and want was in her eyes as well. He kissed her passionately and hungrily.

The feel of his hands on her body was like fire. They had always had great passion and chemistry and she was reminded of that was he touched her. She arched up toward him and his hands roamed her stomach and sides.

“God you are beautiful” he kissed her neck and her collar bone. Her hand went to his head and ran her hands through his hair. His lips made their way lower and lower on her body till she felt his hands on her thighs.

God this was blissful but she knew it was wrong, and as she felt his mouth on her she couldn’t help the words that came out of her mouth.

“We can’t” she felt him stop and tense up. He raised his head and with questioning eyes he looked to her.

Her eyes were starting to tear and her look almost ripped him in half. Her hands were still on him and as he pulled up and away her hands dropped to their sides.

They both lay in the bed with the sheet wrapped around them and she blew out her breath. It would have been easy for both of them to say yes and give in to something they both wanted but knew they would end up regretting it.

He turned to look at her the tears in her eyes. He knew this was hard for her and he reached over and touched her face. “We should get dressed” she nodded her head and went to stand up.

She instinctively grabbed the sheet, it was not the first time Max had seen her naked but for some reason she was self conscious. He turned his back feeling the tension and as she closed the bathroom door he ran his hands through his hair.

The door opened and she emerged “You can go in now” he shook his head and moved past her.

“I will be out in a few.” She said nothing as he closed the door. She needed to call Emily and tell her not to wait she would call when she was finished.

“Yo” she nodded.

“Are you still in the parking lot?” she heard another voice and her eyes got wide.

“Are you with PJ?” she heard Emily laugh.

“Yeah and let me just tell you this fool is one fry short of a happy meal.” Stephanie laughed.

“Well go ahead and go I am going to stay and talk to Max.” she said a few more things to Emily and hung up in time for Max to get out of the bathroom.

“Who was that?” she jumped and put the phone down.

“Emily, she is with PJ” Max’s face said it all and she laughed.

“That is exactly what I thought. The fact she is even in the same room as PJ is a miracle.”

“Seeing as she hates him and he is just trying to get in her pants.” They both laughed and Max came and sat down next to her on the bed.

It was quite for a few moments before he got up the nerve to say something. “I’m sorry Steph” she looked at him and shook her head.

“Don’t there was nothing to be sorry about, besides I think I’m sorry is a little over used.” He shook his head.

“However I owe you an apology for moving everything out before I talked to you. That was wrong of me.” He shook his head

“It was, but I understand why you did it. If I had been you I would have done the same thing.” She looked at him. He was staring at his hands like he always did when he didn’t know what to say.

“So, this is the end of eight years?” he looked at her, he wanted her to tell him no.

“I guess so. I know you love me Max, and I know if you hadn’t given her your heart so many years ago there would have been a chance for us. But she took your heart and she still has it and I can’t compete with that. I shouldn’t have to and neither should she.” He knew there was a reason he had adored her so much. In this time where she should have hated Liz and had the right to hate her she thought about her and how she was feeling.

“She loves you Max that is evident. And I know you still love her as much as that hurts me to say it is true. We wouldn’t have worked in the long run.” She now looked at her own hands. She was no longer wearing the ring that had adorned her hand for the last year, and it felt empty.

His hand instinctively found hers and he squeezed it in his. She turned to him and smiled and she fell into his arms. As he hugged her tightly they both had tears in their eyes.

~*~*~*~*~

Maria was putting the last of her things in her suitcase while Liz sat on the bed watching. Maria knew she was thinking of Max, and she knew that it hurt Liz to know he had left without saying goodbye, but for the time being it was probably best.

“Earth to Liz?” Liz snapped her head up.

“What did you say?” Maria chuckled to herself.

“I didn’t say anything, but you were in the twilight zone.” Liz smiled and Maria sat down next to her.

“You know…he will come back” Liz played with the ruffle on the pillow.

“I don’t know Maria. Do you think there will ever be a chance for he and I. I hurt him so badly ten years ago. If I were him I wouldn’t forgive me. I was a real bitch, and not just to him, to everyone, even Stephanie.” Maria looked at Liz and for the first time she had gotten to Roswell she saw her old best friend, the one she had missed for the last ten years.

“I know you were hurt, we were all hurt. Max knows that, and I have a feeling that all would have to do is ask.” Maria smiled and she saw the hope in Liz’s eyes. “Give him time he will come around, you’ll see.”

“So you and Jeremy?” Maria had to smile; she hadn’t felt this way in a long time about anyone.

“We are going to make a go of it. I told him that it had been ten years since I had been with anyone but he said it didn’t matter, he would go as slow as I needed to.” Liz was happy for Maria. At first she had thought that moving on was betraying Michael’s name, but she realized that you cant live your life worried about what the dead would think.

“Good, I am happy for you it is time for you to be happy.” She smiled and Maria zipped up 0her suitcase. She was all packed and ready to go home.

Liz stood up and hugged Maria. “Thanks for letting me crash with you.”

“You are always welcome.” Maria pulled away

“You are too you know, anytime you want to come out to LA, the door is always open.” Liz hadn’t really ever wanted to leave Roswell, but as Maria talked about coming out to LA she couldn’t help but think she needed a vacation.

~*~*~*~

Stephanie unlocked the door to Emily’s apartment and saw that the TV was on and she heard the rustling of dishes in the kitchen.

“Em, I am back” she heard a pot drop and wondered what she was doing in there. She rounded the corner and saw Emily on the floor looking through a cupboard.

“Um, are you ok?” Emily grunted “What are you doing?”

“Ah ha I found it!” she smiled widely as she got kettle and filled it with water. Stephanie sat down at the kitchen table and watched as Emily moved around the kitchen. She was making tea and when it was finally made she set a mug in front of Stephanie.

“How did it go with Max?” Emily finally sat down and was staring at Stephanie intently.

“Well we almost had sex.” Emily’s eyes were wide with shock.

“What, how do you go to talk and end up almost having sex?”

“Yeah. It just happened but I grew a conscience and I knew that if we did it would have complicated things and that is the last thing either of us needed.” Emily’s face said it all. She didn’t know what to say. She knew that Stephanie was right, but somehow she had that hope that everything would have turned out ok.

“Wow, so…” Stephanie looked into her cup

“So, it is done, over with. It is as it should be.” The tears threatened to fall but they stayed in her eyes. “It doesn’t make it hurt any less though.”

“No it doesn’t” Emily shook her head. “It is like that movie Hope Floats” here she goes again Stephanie thought.

“Beginning are usually happy, endings are sad, but its what’s in the middle that counts. And it is true. Sure the end was sad, but look at what you all had in the middle. Remember that, cherish that.” Despite the hate for Emily’s movie addiction she had to love the fact that Emily always knew what to say.

“Thanks Em” Emily winked at her and took a sip of her tea.

“Anytime Stephers anytime!”

~*~*~*~

Max couldn’t stay in the condo another minute after Stephanie had left. He had needed to get out and P.J.’s invitation to go out and pick up women didn’t sound very tempting. So he chose to go to the bar he had met Stephanie at so many years ago.

He hadn’t been in here for a few years and when he sat at the bar memories flooded back to him. He had spent most of his nights here getting drunk when he had fist gotten here. It helped ease the pain, and if he really admitted it, that is why he was here now.

“Max, long time no see.” Max smiled at the older man across the bar.

“Hey Jimmy, how have you been?” Jim poured Max the usual and told him he was fine. He set the drink in front of Max and left Max to his thoughts.

He didn’t get through his beer when he saw the figure in the corner. He knew who it was and he thought if he ignored him he would go away. But with no such luck Michael didn’t disappear.

Max scooted his beer further on the bar and put down a few dollars for the bar tender. “Thanks Jimmy, have a good night.” Jimmy said goodnight and Max found himself hurrying out of the bar.

“Why are you running?” He jumped at the sound my Michael’s voice, but he chose to ignore him. He was a ghost a figment of his imagination.

“You know you can ignore me, but I am here because you have a problem and I am not leaving until it get solved, so either talk or don’t. It is your choice.” Max kept driving not saying a word. He would go away, he always did.

The song on the radio was old and Michael sang along with it. Max found he was quickly annoyed and turned the radio off. He hated that song anyway.

“You know this isn’t healthy and …”

“What would you know about healthy? You drove your car into a barn and killed yourself.” Michael had a smile on his face.

“Wow, angry much?”

“Yes actually, you have ruined my life.” Michael laughed and Max couldn’t figure out what was so funny.

“I ruined your life? No you did that on your own Max, no one but you.” Michael leaned back in the seat and crossed his arms.

“You got in that car. If you hadn’t gotten in that car I wouldn’t be in this mess.” Michael looked at a very angry Max.

“No one said you had to get in there with me. You could have stayed behind, but you wouldn’t do that. So stop blaming me and take some responsibility.” Max parked the car and looked at him.

“She left me Michael, Stephanie left me.” he hung his head; he didn’t know what to do.

“You didn’t expect her to stay did you, I mean sure you love her but you couldn’t give her your whole heart. Do you think she deserved that?” ok he had a point.

“She deserved a whole heart…”

“And you are kidding yourself if you say you could have given it to her. Because we all know Max that you gave that away when we were eight.”

“No, I couldn’t have given her my whole heart, you are right.” Michael smiled.

“Of course I am. But you know this is all coming from you, so you should listen.” They sat in silence for a while before Max looked over to him.

“I don’t know what to do?” it wasn’t really a question more of a statement, but he needed an opinion.

“Yes you do, but do it when you are ready. She will be there waiting for you Max.”

“Thanks Michael” right as he said the words Michael disappeared. Max looked at his watch, it wasn’t too late to find P.J. and the guys. He headed for the house to change and then he would head to the club.

~*~*~*~

Liz sat in front of the headstone and laid down her flowers. “Well, I guess this is over.” She smiled and looked to the sky. It was clear and the stars were out, it was the perfect night.

“It is only over if you are ready for it to be.” She smiled and found her way into the familiar arms she had always taken comfort in.

“I think it needs to be.” He smiled and looked down at her.

“Really?” she pulled away and shook her head.

“I think it is time to let go of a past I can’t change. I need to look to my future and do something’s I have put off. “

“Sounds like an idea, an idea that you should have used a long time ago.” She laughed at his tone and shook her head.

“Yeah tell me about it. I haven’t exactly been living in the present and that is changing. I am going to go spend some time with Maria in LA when the school year ends and then come back to teach. Or you never know I could decide to move altogether and find a job somewhere else.” Michael smiled.

“I think all of those are fine choices.” They at in silence before Michael looked over at her.

“Wow, I have to say this wedding healed all of you, whether you know now or not.” She thought of Max and how he had a new wound opened up.

“I think Max lost more than he gained.” Michael shrugged his shoulders.

“Maybe, maybe not, but he will be ok. Don’t worry Liz.” She smiled, she knew that he would be, but it didn’t stop her from worrying about it.

“So I guess this is goodbye?” she shook her head and fell into Michaels arms as he held them out to her.

“Thank you.” He smiled at her

“No, thank you. Be good Liz; take care of Maria for me. She did good in finding Jeremy, now she can be happy. I always wanted that for her.” Liz let the tear roll down her cheek and wiped it off her face.

“Goodbye Liz” she watched as he walked off disappearing into the cemetery.

Liz stood there for a few moments until the sky started to darken. She looked to the headstone and like always she kissed her hand and placed it on the headstone, “goodbye Michael”

Her fingers lingered for a moment but fell away as she walked out of the cemetery.

TBC
"You know what?House rules, Sammy. Driver picks music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole." Supernatural

"That Dude just full on obi woned me!" Supernatural
FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Ok sorry this has taken me a whole month but it was quite hard to write and my muse was missing. Thanks a bunch to Jazzy you soooo deserve a gold star!

Ellie
Icequeen
roswell3053
Vicki LVCM
Timelord31
RhondaAnn
Emz80m
begonia9508
Nicoletta
tequathisy
martine
ruthandnina
behrstars
paper
soni
Blink1lit
POM
Alien614

~*~Chapter 21 ~*~

Max looked at the clock on the microwave and took a sip of his coffee. He had been up for an hour and the day was already dragging. Thoughts of what almost happened with Stephanie plagued his mind. His heart and head were in constant battle and she was paying the price for it.

Then there was also Liz to think about. While they had ended as friends, a part of him knew that Liz expected him to come to her, hell everyone did but did he want that? He loved her he knew that much, but ten years was a long time and that love was different now, was it enough to make a happily ever after.

Rinsing his cup out, he put it in the sink and headed for a shower. He quickly got ready and grabbed his keys and headed for any place that would allow him to think

It felt like all he had done the past few weeks was contemplate his life, but it needed to be done. The choices he would make and had made would affect him forever. Ending an engagement was a big thing and Max wondered now if he let her go too easily. Maybe he should have begged her not to leave Roswell.

“Who am I kidding?” He thought. He knew Stephanie and if she was going to do something it was done. That was her style and that’s what he loved about her. Even if the choice was hard she knew what had to be done and did it.

As Max drove further away from the hustle and bustle of the city his mind just kept reeling. There were things that he didn’t understand, things he wanted to know.

He had promised himself a long time ago that he would never play the what if game, but as he drove the open road the what if’s plagued his mind.

By the time Max got home he still hadn’t figured anything out and that made him angry. He was supposed to have it all figured out. That was how he was, he had the answer for everything. And now there was nothing.

He opened the cabinet where the liquor was held and grabbed the bottle of scotch, needing to unwind he poured himself a glass of scotch. It might not solve the problems of the world but it would take them away for the time being.

The living room was dark and empty except the blue easy chair that they had picked out together. The wall was even void of the pictures and painting it once held. Noticing that the Van Gogh was gone he sighed, everything was empty, the wall, the house, his heart. He knew it was his own fault but it still didn’t stop the pain.

After taking a drink Max looked into the bottom of the glass, the liquid swirled and he remembered something Stephanie had once said about seeing your future in your liquor and laughed. There was no future, there was nothing but gold rich liquid in the glass and the hope that was once there was now gone.

This is what his life had become, and he didn’t want that. He didn’t want to live his life in his easy chair every night drinking scotch until he was too drunk to care. Max knew then he had to get out of Orlando and moving to Roswell was not an option.

~*~*~*~*~

“Ok so we got home ok and I made sure that Jeremy got into his apartment like a good date should.” Liz laughed.

“Well I am glad you were a lady and not a complete cow!”

“Shut up, he should have been the one making sure I got in ok.” Maria sneered.

“Yeah well you are the one with the bodyguard, I am sure he was sure it was safe to leave you with Bart.”

“Whatever! So when do Isabel and Alex get home?” Liz looked at the napkin where she had written all the information down.

“They are gone for two weeks so they will be home on like the 15th and I have to feed Maverick and water the plants.”

“Wow, fun, that dog is demonic.” Liz rolled her eyes

“That dog is possessed and I am already jumping for joy in my little space boots!” Maria laughed and rolled her eyes.

“This is what you get for staying in Roswell all of those years you are referring to your shoes as space boots. You really have to get out of there.” Liz took a drink of her wine and found she was annoyed.

“Yeah well I can’t exactly leave in the middle of work Maria. I don’t have the type of job where in the middle of the year I can say I am going on vacation see you later. I have to wait for the end of the year.” She was annoyed. Maria had a career in singing that allowed her to travel wherever and whenever she wished. She didn’t have that luxury.

“No one said you had to Liz. Finish work, do what you have to do and then go on vacation because it is obvious that you need one.” She had always chosen her words around Liz and now she no longer cared. She didn’t deserve to be jumped on like she had just been.

“That is all I was saying. I didn’t imply that you needed to leave work in the middle of the year. I simply said you need to get out.” She took a deep breath and she was sure that Liz was going to jump down her throat as she always did.

“You’re right; I do need to get out of here. I just have to wait another four weeks before I can do it. I am stir crazy Maria; I don’t want to be here anymore.” Maria really felt for her. Liz didn’t have the luxuries that the rest of them had and while she had made it on her own with the help of Alex and Isabel Liz couldn’t do that. Liz didn’t have that in her.

“Look what day does school get out?” Liz didn’t even have to think she already knew,

“June 2nd.” Maria laughed she hadn’t missed a beat with that one. But then she remembered when she was in school and knowing exactly when school got out and actually counted it down.

“Ok so what do you say on June 4th you fly your happy self out here for a week and we can do all the cheesy tourist stuff that everyone does in L.A. Plus I have a benefit concert that week and you can hear me sing?” she waited for her answer hoping that Liz would say yes.

“You know Maria I just…” here it was Maria blew out her breath it was the same response she had received the last eight years she had asked.

“…think that is a great idea!” Maria had to stop and think about that. Liz had just said yes, yes to coming to visit.

“GREAT!!!” there was no hiding the excitement in her voice Liz was finally coming to visit her. Ten years ago the world had left Liz Parker behind and now she was finally catching up.

~*~*~*~

Max poured coffee into his mug and snapped the top on. He had woken up late and knew that traffic was going to be horrendous.

Since he had been back his whole routine had been thrown off and waking up late didn’t help anything at all. This was his first day back after being gone and he didn’t want to be late, especially when he had such a huge favor to ask.

Looking at the clock on the microwave he grabbed his to go mug, keys and tool belt and thought of the fastest way to get to the site.

Fifteen minutes later he was there and ready to go. “Max, buddy welcome back.” John patted his back and looked extremely relieved he was back.

“Miss me?” John laughed and Max could tell it was an uncomfortable laugh.

“You have no idea; we barely finished the McGreevy job.” Max looked at him appalled.

“I left that completely set up for these guys what happened?” Max didn’t need John to answer that he already knew. He hadn’t been there and John had been with his wife and they had slacked off and waited till the very last minute to do anything.

“You know what don’t tell me I already know!” life was back to normal, at least at work. Fastening his tool belt to his waist Max put his coffee on the truck and waited for John to brief him. .

“So we need to be briefed about all of this in the trailer with Marley and then we can have our own team meeting and tell the boys where to go and what to do.” Max looked around at the empty space that was the future sight of a building he would over see and then looked to John.

“Come on lets go do this. The sooner the better” They both walked into the trailer where their boss sat looking through files on a desk.

“Max, John come in I was just going over some of these plans and thinking that some of this isn’t going to work.” Marley handed the blue prints to Max to look over. Max didn’t have a degree in engineering but he knew buildings and by looking at this there was no way this plan would work.

“No it isn’t, you can do this though.” Max took the blue pen and made a few markings and handed it back to Marley.

He looked it over and shook his head. “You really should have gone to school for this Max, you really should have.” Max said nothing but instead listened while Marley continued to tell them the plan that was at hand.

When all was finished Max told John to go without him he had something to discuss with Marley.

“So, Alesha told me this morning to invite you to dinner?” Max smiled he was sure that Emily and Stephanie had told most of their mutual friends that they were no longer together.

“I take it you both know?” Marley shook his head and gave him the look of pity that he had received from most people.

“She called when she got home. I’m really sorry Max. But Alesha figured you would need a home cooked meal.” Max laughed, that was the last thing he needed but he couldn’t turn either of them down.

“Sure why not.” Marley smiled and looked pleased and told him to be there at seven.

“You know Max if there is anything you ever need ever you know you can come to me.” Max new it was now or never

“Well, there was something else I wanted to talk to you about.” Marley looked inquisitive and Max stared at him for a moment.

This was his friend one of the many he had made in the last ten years while here in Orlando. They had spent holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and other important occasions together. This man knew a lot about him and as he sat there across from him, for the first time in many years he felt more like an employee than anything else and that almost frightened him.

“I wanted to talk to you about a transfer.” Marley looked shocked, like the wind had been knocked out him. Never in a million years would he have imagined that Max would ask for a transfer.

He focused in on him and saw the pain that resided in his eyes. Marley knew that Max had a rough past and the way that his wife had put it the past had caught up to him and there was no dismissing it this time.

“Where would you want to go, we don’t have offices in Roswell.”

“I don’t want to go back to Roswell. I need to get out of here Mar, I can’t be here anymore. I have to start over, and at this point I don’t really care where that is” Marley thought for a moment and told him he would look into seeing what he could do.

“Thanks, I really appreciate it.” Marley said nothing he just watched as Max got up and went to the door.

“You know Max…” Max turned around his hand still on the door.

“You can’t run from everything, you have to face something sooner or later.” He smiled nodded his head and quickly walked out the door.

Marley was right he couldn’t run, but making a new start wasn’t really running, it was re-building and living and that was something Max hadn’t done in a long time.
"You know what?House rules, Sammy. Driver picks music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole." Supernatural

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Hey guys! Thank you sooo much for the feedback, it was fun to read. There will only be a few more parts left after this one, I will see how it works out! Jazzy Gold Star as always!

roswell3053
Timelord31
RhondaAnn
Ellie
janesdilemma---Missed ya!
Alien614
midnightstar29
tequathisy
Emz80m
begonia9508
maya
martine
DreamerMaxBehrian
emma1126
Icequeen

~*~Chapter 22~*~

~~One Month Later~~

The past month had been rocky for Max. He had had to rebuild his life and start over. He had moved out of the condo he and Stephanie had shared and moved into a smaller one next to PJ.

He also had thrown himself into work leaving very little time for him to think. He took extra shifts, stayed late and often came in when he wasn’t scheduled. It wasn’t what most people would do, but he wanted out. He also didn’t want to have to think and staying at home with a beer and the TV was way too much thinking for him.

He was now counting the days till he made the newest change in his life. He was moving. Three weeks ago his company had given him three options for a transfer, all three equally good places to go, but not all equally good opportunities.

Out of Las Cruses, Los Angeles and Bethesda Maryland he had taken Bethesda. He had thought long and hard about the position in New Mexico but after talking to his father, Isabel, Maria and PJ each had talked him out of New Mexico.

He had made the choice not to go to LA, he would have been starting from the bottom again and he had worked hard to get where he was. While it offered the same amount of pay he couldn’t do it, he couldn’t move backwards.

Bethesda however was offering him the same position for more pay and he knew the offer was too good to pass up. So in three days time he was starting his new life.

He picked an empty box up off the floor and set it on the bed. After moving once already he really hadn’t unpacked much, but that which he did unpack needed to be re packed.

It was a task he didn’t want to do and almost thought of hiring PJ to do it. However, he knew that he would never find anything and that which he did find would probably be broken or ruined.

“Max?” he heard Emily’s voice and thanked the higher forces from above that he wouldn’t have to pack alone.

He had been surprised when Emily had stayed in touch with him. She had come over not too long after he and Stephanie broke up and found him drunk and pitiful. He had been even more surprised when she picked him up and made him get his act together.

“In the back Em.” He could hear her heels clicking and knew he was going to miss this.

“Beware Max I am not alone.” He laughed. For as much as she hated PJ they seemed to be together a lot in the last month.

“Yo, Max” he greeted them both and continued to put books into the open box.

“You know there are much more civilized ways to say hello?” Emily had a condescending look on her face and PJ rolled his eyes.

“Like you haven’t used yo before?” he waited and she said nothing. “Ha! You act proper but inside we all know…” she was curious now.

“You all know what?” she tapped her foot this was going to be good.

“That you want me.” She rolled her eyes.

“You know you should think before you open your mouth it will make you seem less stupid.” She looked to Max and then around the room. “Wow this place is looking empty.” Max laughed and shook his head.

“Yeah and if you two quite fighting and actually helped me it might look a tad bit emptier.” He watched as Emily grabbed a box and when PJ tired to she stopped him.

“Don’t touch, you destroy everything you touch. This is why you don’t have animals, plants or proper female companions.” She snatched the box out of his hand.

“She so wants me.” He looked to Max and wiggled his eyebrows as Emily walked out of the room.

“YOU WISH!” she called from the other room. Max knew he was going to get nothing done but he also knew that he didn’t want to be alone his last couple of days in Orlando and this was the best company he could think to keep.

~*~*~*~*~

Liz got out of the car and made her way toward the restaurant. She and Jeremy were meeting Maria for lunch and Liz couldn’t wait.

She had gotten in earlier in the day and Maria had sent Jeremy to pick her up. Maria had a studio appointment and she couldn’t change it even though she had tried.

Maria waved from the table she was occupying and she and Jeremy went straight to her. Maria automatically pulled Liz into a hug. This trip was a long time coming and Maria was so glad she was there.

“How was your flight?” Liz laughed, it had been her first flight ever and the worst she would probably ever experience.

“If I never fly again it would be alright. There was so much turbulence that I realized why I never chose to go anywhere.” Maria laughed and Liz looked at her.

“I’m not kidding.” They both broke into laughter and Jeremy sat there watching the two girls. It was easy to see why they were friends and he was glad that Liz had finally agreed to come out to LA. Since Alex and Isabel had moved back home Maria had felt a little lonely but with Liz here she was back to being Maria.

“So are we dating?” Maria couldn’t help but ask. She had hoped that maybe something would have happened between she and Max but she had come to the realization a long time ago that neither one of them was ready for a relationship at least with each other.

“No, I have been living the single life. It is actually nice. Isabel and I have gone out a few times and sometimes the girls from work take me out. It is nice not having to worry about a guy.” It was good to hear, Liz was finally healing and growing up.

“Wow, nice. Do we still think about Max?” she had to ask it was killing her. The second she did Liz’s face fell.

“All the time, but it is obvious that he doesn’t think about me. I haven’t heard from him since the wedding.” Maria frowned.

“Did you think you would?”

“I don't know but I realize that there isn't anything I can do to change his mind. I guess I'll have to wait and see if he wants to find me." Maria just shook her head, she didn’t want to start an argument so she let it go.

“What about work? Are you staying or quitting?” when she had last talked to Liz she had thought about leaving her job for something other than teaching.

“I thought about it and I am not sure yet. I love my kids but I am not sure that teaching was ever for me, you know?” Maria didn’t know. She was happy with the way her life had turned out, she couldn’t imagine being in Liz shoes.

“Wow, you have some heavy thinking and decision making to do” Liz laughed.

“Yeah but I would much rather be doing the alternative”

“Which is?” Maria was curious

“Heavy drinking and absolutely no thinking.” They both laughed and finished lunch. Maria caught Liz up on her life and Jeremy’s and all of the activities she had planned for the next week.

~*~*~*~

Max labeled his last box and put it by the door. In the morning the moving van would be there to load everything and Max had wanted to make sure everything was as simple as possible.

There was a knock at the door and he turned around and opened it. Standing there was PJ and Emily along with Marley, Alesha, John and his wife.

“We have come with Mr. Moo’s Chinese Food!” Emily held up the bag and swung it in front of his face.

He moved over allowing them in and apologized for the mess. “It is ok we didn’t come to see your dirt we came to see you and as long as you provide a clean table I think we are good.” Alesha looked around and she and Emily along with John’s wife Carol went to the kitchen to get the food ready.

PJ of course came with beer in hand and headed to the kitchen to put it in the refrigerator. He grabbed four and took them out to the boys leaving the girls in the kitchen. If it was one think PJ hated it was being in a kitchen when I woman was there.

“Thanks PJ.” He handed Max the beer and the four men stood around talking about Max’s departure in the morning.

“Are you sure you want to go? We can always send the other guy back?” Max just laughed.

“As tempting as that sounds I don’t think I could stay.” They all knew he wouldn’t stay. Each one had tried to talk him out of it but it was no use Max was going and that was the end of it.

“Food is ready.” Emily called from around the kitchen wall and the four men headed into the kitchen.

Max’s small table barely held them all but they made do and ate their food enjoying each other’s company

~*~*~*~
Liz and Maria walked down Rodeo Drive and Liz looked at all of the stores. They had been to Tiffany’s and stopped in at a few of the boutiques. Liz couldn’t believe the prices of some of the things but Maria didn’t seemed to be phased by it.

They had been all around the last two days and Liz had seen the Hollywood sign, a oversized Kermit the Frog, the tar pits, and other random places. It was just the vacation Liz needed.

“So you really want to go to Disneyland?” Maria thought it was funny, but she knew that at least once in a persons life they had to go to the happiest place on earth.

“I do, I have never been and it is only right.” She and Maria quickly got into the car and made their way back toward Hollywood Boulevard so Liz could see the famous Chinese Theater.

They got out of the car and made their way toward the Kodak Theater. Liz looked at everything and saw Ripley’s Believe it or Not, the Hollywood museum of Wax and other random tourist traps they had on the streets.

They got closer and there were people dressed in random costumes. She was a man dressed as Superman and a couple of Pirates.

“People are weird.” That was an understatement, but it was what it was and it made LA. That is what Maria loved.

They got to the famous theater where stars handprints and names lined the sidewalk. She looked through them and took pictures. She saw some of her favorite actors as well as actresses.

“Do you remember when we were in high school and we talked about coming to Hollywood to put our hands where Marylyn Monroe had?” Maria smiled, that memory was often times the one she remembered most.

She had put her hands here, so had Isabel and Alex but not Liz. And now as she kneeled down with her hands in the handprints.

"Some how it isnt all I thought it would be." Maria frowned but took her picture anyway.

Lis stood up she looked around at the others handprints for a moment and then they decided to head back to the house to get ready for dinner. They also had a reservation at the Viper Room and Liz didn’t want to miss that.

~*~*~*~

Max continued to stare at the empty apartment. He was actually going to miss this place and the people. He remembered trying to tell himself not to get attached to anyone. They would only leave in the end and he would be left with the pain. But he hadn’t listened to himself and here he was attached and feeling the emptiness that came with moving.

“Shake your head, your eyes are stuck.” Max’s head flipped up and looked at her.

“You watch too many movies” she shrugged and took a drink of her beer.

“My over abundance of knowledge has gotten you far Max Evans. You should be thanking not patronizing.” Max laughed and rolled his eyes.

“So are you up for a City Walk or are we not going out tonight?” PJ always went out whether or not Max. But Max knew that tonight was his last night in town and turning PJ down wasn’t an option.

“Sure we can go over there, Em you want to go?” he leaned back in the chair and looked at her.

“Nope, sorry guys I am hanging with Stephanie tonight. It is chick flick night.” Max stiffened at the mention of Stephanie’s name. Every time he heard her name he felt his heart pull, just like he did with the mention of Liz.

“You already watch way too many movies and here you are having chick flick night.” PJ rolled his eyes. He hated girl movies.

“I don’t know how you two can watch that crap.” Emily stopped beer in hand and looked at him with questioning eyes.

“Crap? This is from the man who watches Jersey Girl every time it is on the Television?” he started to deny it but then he realized that both Max and Emily knew better. He crossed his arms in defeat and started to pout.

“Awww PJ it is ok, girls dig guy flicks! But you two go and have fun. Next time Max is down or I am in Maryland we can go party” She stood up and Max stood next to her. She hadn’t thought that she would ever be saying goodbye when she first met him. But now as she stood there goodbye was what she had to say.

“Well Max, it has been fun.” She looked up at him and felt the tears in her eyes.

“It has.” He pulled her into his arms and held on to her. He never imagined become such good friends with Emily, but he was glad he did.

“Stephanie told me to tell you good luck she wishes you the best.” He nodded and told her thank you. He whispered something in her ear and she backed up and smiled.

“Don’t be a complete stranger Max, and if you don’t call every few days I will call the NCIS on you.” Max shook his head.

“Em you have to be in the Marine Corps or the Navy for that.” She huffed.

“Honey if Tony DiNozzo were real I could make that boy do anything military or not.” She raised her eyebrows a few times and Max laughed.

“Goodbye Emily!” she smiled wide and waved as he shut the door. He shook his head and walked back to the kitchen to where PJ was.

“Do you really want to go out?” PJ shook his head and looked up at Max.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but I am going to miss you. You are going to leave me here and I won’t have my boy to go clubbing with or to protect me from Emily’s harsh comments.” Max had never seen PJ this way and he sat down.

“You will be fine. I don’t think Emily will be bothering you too much, plus aren’t you coming to Maryland next week to see me?” PJ smiled.

“Got to check out the chicks and the clubs, we have to see what we are dealing with Max.” Max just laughed.

They talked for a little while longer before PJ decided to call it a night. “I’ll see you in the morning to help you move all this stuff.”

“Ok.” Max walked him to the door and shut it. He turned around and looked at the empty apartment. Somehow through all the hoops he had gone through to be happy, something was missing.

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

I apologizse ahead of time for this chapter, lol it is a filler. But bare with me just a little while longer. Thanks so much for the feedback, it means a lot to me! To the lurkers thank you and drop in and say hello.

RhondaAnn
DreamerMaxBehrian
roswell3053
Ellie
POM
Alien614
emma1126
martine
begonia9508
Timelord31
Emz80m
tequathisy

~*~Chapter 23~*~

“Are you ready?” Maria stuck her head into Liz’s bedroom door and looked around.

“I am, I am just finishing up some last minute things.” She packed up the last of her suitcase and zipped it up. She put her hands on the top of it and let out her breath.

“Not ready to go home?” Maria came to the bed and sat down beside the suitcase.

Liz shook her head and sat on the other side of the suitcase. “I really don’t want to leave.”

“So don’t, stay.” It was easy to say, but saying and doing were to separate ideas.

“I wish I could, but I need to go home.” She looked at her fingernails and started to play with her thumbs.

“Maria I have made a lot changes in my life in the last two months. I moved out of my apartment, I quit my job and I let go of something I have been holding on to for ten years.” Maria didn’t say anything she just listened.

“But I am still not happy. I thought I would do all of these things and I would change my life and I would be happy…”

“And you aren’t.” Liz shook her head and Maria knew what she was talking about and how she was feeling.

“And I don’t know how to make me happy.”

“Liz I can’t tell you what can make you happy. If I knew the secret of life I would have been happy a long time ago.” They both laughed.

“You have to figure out what makes you happy. The rest of us left to find that happiness; maybe you should leave Roswell as well.” Liz liked that idea. She was Twenty-six years old and a new adventure was just what she needed.

~*~*~*~

Max opened his apartment door and shut it with his foot. His hands were full of random crap and he wasn’t in the mood to drop it while he shut the door. He set his tool belt on the floor, threw his mail on the table and stuck the take out on the counter.

First he would eat and then he would sort through the ridiculous mail pile which he knew would make his head hurt.

Of course it already hurt from work. It was unusually hot in Maryland for the time of year and while he had lived in Florida with the never ending heat and humidity this was getting to him.

He had been working now three days and it was everything he had hoped. Yet he missed his men, men that he had learned to trust and come to really enjoy and now he had to get used to a new crew and they weren’t the boys and they needed to get used to him as well.

He got a plate from the cabinet and piled on the Chinese Food. He had found the greatest take out place just outside of where he worked and he had lived on that since Isabel and Alex had left.

They had both come to help him move in as well as his parents. He was so glad they had come, he was glad he had family around him.

Isabel had also decided that Max had needed new furniture and she along with their mother had bought him a brand new dining, living and bedroom sets.

He had needed new furniture but he was afraid to part with it. He had bought it with Stephanie and he had kept it on the hopes that one day she would come back. He knew it was ridiculous but it helped him get through his days.

Isabel had talked to him about it and made him see that she wasn’t coming back, women don’t stay for the furniture no matter how much they love it.

She had also changed his TV habits. She had gotten him hooked on reality TV and while he had hated it before he couldn’t tear his eyes away now. She also had a love for game shows and now he was addicted to Cash Cab. He never missed it.

He sat down in front of the TV and put his feet on the ottoman and turned on Cash Cab. He ate while answering the random questions the man was asking and laughing at the two girls in the cab who obviously knew nothing.

When it was over he took his plate to the sink and grabbed the pile of mail he had let sit for two days. He hadn’t even wanted to look at it, but alas bills had to be paid and junk mail thrown away.

He went through everything and at the end there was a letter for Maria. He opened the envelope and then pulled out the letter.

Don’t forget the 16th! Love ya!

He smiled and looked at his watch. She would be making her television debut in two hours and he was not going to miss it.

He got up and headed to the shower so he could watch and then head to bed.

~*~*~*~

Liz opened the door to her apartment and found that it was dark. “Note to self, get someone to turn a light on.” She shut the door with her foot and set her bag by the door.

She saw the stack of mail and papers on the counter; she went over and checked it out. Isabel had set everything in a nice neat pile and she had to smile.

She set her keys in the basket on the bar and took her shoes off. She needed to check her messages unpack and sort through the mail but she was lazy and didn’t want to do any of it.

She did however have a few phone calls to make to let everyone know she was in ok.

“Hello”

“Hey I am home”

“Oh good, don’t forget you have to watch tonight. I am going to be awesome!” Liz laughed and looked at the clock.

“I have an hour and I won’t forget, I promise.” They talked for a few more minutes before Maria had to get off to get ready to watch herself on TV.

Liz sat on her couch and looked at the pile of mail. She sorted through it and then set it in different piles. She started with the personal mail first and then to bills and then to junk.

She picked up a random piece of junk mail about moving companies and stared at it for a few moments before picking up the phone.

“This is Isabel”

“Hey it’s me.”

“HEY! How was Cali?” Liz wanted to tell her everything but there wasn’t much time if they were both going to watch Maria.

“It was great and I will explain it all to you later but are you available for lunch tomorrow?”

“I am, I have to be at work for a few hours in the morning but then I am free all afternoon.” They both agreed to meet at Charlie’s. Liz needed more advice and Isabel was just the person to give it.

~*~*~*~

Max watched as Maria sang. He had forgotten just how beautiful she sang. He had heard her at the wedding but she sounded different, she sounded beautiful.

He picked up the phone and quickly dialed her number, he had to tell her what he thought.

“Well, well if it isn’t Max Evans” he smiled

“Hi Maria, I saw you on TV.”

“And…” he laughed again, she didn’t even give him time to talk.

“It was great! When is your concert?” this time she laughed. He knew he should have known and he felt bad for not knowing.

“It is in about two months, want to come?” she was hoping he would say yes.

“Actually that sounds great.” She squealed and Max took the phone away from his ear.

“Awesome, then we will all be together again!” Max stopped. All together that meant Liz was going.

“Liz is going?” Maria sighed and Max could tell she was annoyed. He would be too if he were in her position.

“Look Max, this isn’t healthy for either of you. Either contact her and create a friendship or let her go. You cant keep doing this.” He didn’t want to admit she was right. He didn’t want to tell her that the last few weeks he had been thinking about Liz and the place she had in his life. He didn’t want to admit any of it.

“Do you have her number?”
“Finally! Sheesh I was beginning to think I had lost my touch. Do you have a pen?” Max got up and went to the kitchen and grabbed a pen from the drawer.

“Ok got one.” Maria in turn told him her number and he wrote it down and repeated it to her.

“Thanks Maria.”

“Anytime Max, now go put that number to good use. I will call you tomorrow with all the concert info so you can make your arrangements.” He thanked her and then flipped the phone shut.

He looked at the number for a long time before he set it by the house phone. He couldn’t make himself pick up the phone no matter how hard he tried.

~*~*~*~

The hostess seated Liz at a small table in the back and she sat there quietly waiting on Isabel. Isabel we never on time, she would have been late to her own wedding if she hadn’t have had a million people screaming at her.

She looked at her watch and then looked to the door. Isabel was just walking in and she was on her phone. The hostess showed her to the table and she sat down and smiled at Liz.

“Listen I have to go I am about to have lunch. I will call you later….ok love you.” She flipped the phone shut and immediately looked to Liz.

“I am so sorry.” Liz waved her off and she immediately wanted to know about Liz’s trip.

“I had so much fun Isabel, I cant remember a time when I have been happier.” Isabel smiled, that was good to hear. Liz needed some happiness and if going away was what did it she was all for it.

“So I wanted to ask your opinion?”

“Shoot.” Isabel was always good for telling her truth but in subtle ways.

“I think I want to move.” Isabel’s eyes went wide. Liz had never stepped foot out of Roswell until she had gone on vacation and now she wanted to move.

“To…” Isabel knew that answer.

“To California.” Isabel put her hands on the table and took a deep breath in.

“I think if moving is what you want to do…do it. If it is going to make you happy go for it. Have you thought about job’s or a place to live.” That was something Liz had been thinking about and Maria had helped her with.

“Maria told me I could work for her till I found something I liked or wanted and she said I could live in the pool house until I found an apartment.” Isabel smiled.

“I say do it, but plan it out and make sure it is the right thing. And whatever you do, don’t come back here.” Liz smiled and they spent the rest of lunch talking about everything from Liz moving to Isabel’s trip to Maryland.

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. After this chapter there is only one left. This part I just couldnt get and I apologize ahead of time. Thanks to everyone including the lurkers!

roswell3053
harroc83
Alien614
begonia9508
tequathisy
Timelord31
Emz80m
RhondaAnn
Martine
Ellie
Icequeen- for all your help!

~*~Chapter 24~*~

~*~Two weeks later~*~

“Don’t you think you have held onto that number long enough?” Max looked at PJ and glared.

“Why do you care?” PJ shrugged. He didn’t care, he could care less what Max did with his life, but if Max did want the number he did.

“I don’t, but if you aren’t going to use it can I have it.”

“NO!” he was quick and PJ stuck his hands up in the air defensively.

“Chill, all I am saying is that Liz is some prime land and you are letting some other man graze her.” Max looked to PJ and frowned.

“You are sick you know that.” he missed PJ’s confused look; he simply stared at the paper in front of him.

He wanted to call, he really did but he couldn’t make himself pick up the phone. He wanted to this to be easy but of course nothing was ever easy. He let his breath out and picked up the phone.

“You want me to dial the number for you? It might actually get dialed.” He flipped PJ off and PJ just laughed and walked into the other room leaving Max alone.

~*~*~*~

Liz packed up the last box when her phone rang. She looked at the caller id and didn’t recognize the number. She normally wouldn’t pick up but this time was different.

“Hello” her voice was soft and sweet just like he had remembered.

“Hey Liz, it’s Max.” she was stunned. She hadn’t heard from him since the wedding and she was glad he was calling.

“Hey!” she sounded really excited to hear from him and he let the breath he was holding out.

“How are you?”

“I’m good how about you?” they were fishing at least he was. He didn’t want that, he wanted this to be comfortable and flowing.

“I’m really good. So I haven’t talked to you since the wedding, tell me what’s been going on?” this was already weird and she didn’t want that. So she figured she would be the one to start the conversation.

“Yeah I know, I’ve been meaning to call. Things have been insane.” That wasn’t a lie, things where insane and he had been meaning to call. But he had come home to deal with his relationship with Steph and then he had moved, and had to find the courage to pick the phone up.

“I bet, Isabel said that you moved to Maryland.” He shook his head, not that she could see him but it was habit.

“Yeah I did, it just seemed right and I couldn’t pass the offer up.”

“How do you like it so far?” she had never been to Maryland she hadn’t been anywhere but LA and she wanted to know how he liked it.

“I love it. It is really different from Roswell and Florida but I love it so far. And I heard you are moving to LA?” he knew she was but he thought he would ask and have her tell him.

“Yeah I am. I fell in love with it when I went to visit Maria.”

“It really is an awesome place, a big place you can really lose yourself there.” He had been to LA a couple of times on business and had really found it easy to just get lost. It was nothing like New York City but it was close.

“I like that, I mean it is easy to get lost in the crowd and not everyone knows you or your life story like they do here in Roswell.” That was truth. Roswell was such a tight community that everyone knew everyone else and their business.

“Isn’t that the truth? That is the beauty of big cities, no one knows your business and they don’t find it out the second you do.” Liz laughed; if that wasn’t Roswell she didn’t know what was.

“Plus it gives you some experience. And you won’t ever run out of things to do. I am sure you didn’t while you were visiting.” No she and Maria had been to every place imaginable and there was never really a moments rest.

“No I won’t and I can’t wait. I will be working for Maria and that will make me get acquainted quickly. She already told me about getting lost.” He laughed, he was sure Maria had given her the getting lost speech.

“Liz you have no sense of direction you could get lost walking down an isle.” She mock laughed while making a sarcastic face.

“You are such a comedian Max.” they both laughed and it was reassuring to see that they fell right back in to their old ways.

“You loves it, you loves it.” She made a sound and they laughed again.

“You are a nerd. Are you still coming for Maria’s concert? Because if you don’t she will fly out there and cook you on your own stove.” If that wasn’t the truth he didn’t know what was.

“I wouldn’t dream of missing it, that and I don’t want to die a slow painful death by stove.”

“Smart plan, she wouldn’t hesitate to hurt you.” they both knew she would.

“Yeah she would. I still have to get my ticket; my friend Emily will book it for me I just have to tell her the days.”

“I have your ticket for the concert. She already got them and she has them at the house, I will have to get them when I get there. But make sure you are out here for at least four days.”

“That sounds good to me. I just need to book my flight so it doesn’t cost me a small fortune.” She laughed, he was right if he booked last minute it would be well over 400 dollars.

She looked at her watch and frowned, she was hoping she would have gotten more time, but she had to get to the moving company before five or they would close and she would be box less.

“Well Max, I have to get going I still have packing to do. I want to be gone from Roswell by tomorrow and they way it is looking that might not happen.” He snickered.

“It wont happen, you are such a pack rat and you SAVE everything Liz. You wont have it all packed, it would take you a month.” Again she mimicked him.

“You are just on a roll tonight aren’t you? Well for your information I haven’t saved in a while and I will be done by tonight.” He smiled and told her good luck. She thanked him and she agreed to call him when she got settled in LA.

“And Max, thanks for calling.” He could hear the smile in her voice and he had to smile as well.

“Your welcome, be safe and I will talk to you when you get there.” He hung up the phone and couldn’t contain his smile. It had gone so much better than he had thought and he was glad for that.

He looked at his watch and cursed. He had a date in an hour and he wasn’t even close to being ready. He ran straight to the shower and got ready as soon as possible.

~*~Three hours later~*~

This had turned out worst than he had thought. He had agreed to go with PJ on a double date and it just wasn’t turning out.

He wasn’t really surprised though; this was a date PJ had set up. That of course meant that PJ was only on the date to get laid.

Abby was Max’s date and everything about her was fake, this was not someone Max would ever see himself with and PJ knew that.

Her hair color was fake, her personality and he was pretty sure there were some body parts that were just as un-real.

She had been laughing and touching him all night and he was incredibly annoyed and he found himself wishing for a normal date.

He had been dating off and one since he had moved to Maryland and no one seemed to be right, not one girl matched him the way he wanted.

He looked at his beer bottle and his thoughts went to Liz. He found himself wondering what she was doing and if she thought of him.

He could remember dates with Liz from high school. Dates where they would get lost in conversation, times when they would let time go and find that hours had past.

They fit so well together and that is what he missed. Even he and Stephanie hadn’t fit that well together.

He looked up when Abby started talking but he drowned the sound of her voice. It was piercing and made his head throb.

He was anxious to go and sitting there watching PJ was not as fun as PJ had made it out to be. He looked at his watch and let his breath out. He was ready to go home.

“Hey Max we are heading out, um…” PJ knew he wouldn’t take Abby home. Max wasn’t that kind of guy and he didn’t want to leave him there when it was obvious that he was not having a good time.

“Yeah you go, I have to be up early for a meeting. Abby it was good to meet you. I wish you the best of luck in all you do.” He got up and put some money on the table.

He didn’t even wait for Abby to talk he simply walked out of the bar and headed straight for home. He had things he had to do.

~*~4 days later~*~

Liz brought the last box in from the moving truck. She was tired and she had had enough of moving.

She set the box on the floor and flopped down on the couch. Isabel and Alex had gone for food and Maria and Jeremy had gone back to the house.

She enjoyed the quiet while she had it and looked at the phone. She had thought about calling Max the last week. But things had been so busy she hadn’t really had a chance.

She flipped the phone open and quickly found his number. She didn’t hesitate in dialing and she waited patiently while it rang.

“James you better have good news about the Wilson building?” she made a face it was obvious he was waiting for a James and she was not it.

“Max, it is Liz.” He hit his forehead, she was not James and he should have checked the caller ID.

“Oh, Liz I am so sorry I thought you were one of my foremen at the site.”

“It is ok, don’t worry about it.” she knew he was embarrassed she could hear it in his voice.

“So how was the move? Is Isabel trying to get you to let her decorate?” she laughed that is exactly what Isabel was trying to do.

“Yup, she is.” Max laughed

“Whatever you do don’t let her get a hand on your furniture. She will make you broke by playing her mind games.” They both laughed. Isabel was a great designer and she made things look fantastic.

“Well I told her she would decorate, but I heard about her buying you all new furniture and told her NO on that one.” Max laughed.

“Good!” Max looked at his phone at the call beeping in, he winced. He needed to answer it but he didn’t want to. He hit ignore and went back to the conversation with Liz.

“So I got my flight out and I will be there on Thursday.” That was a whole day earlier than he had planned.

“Ok that is great.” She couldn’t contain her excitement. That meant one more day with him and she couldn’t wait.

“ Maria is setting you up at her house, so you don’t have to worry about a hotel and she is giving you one of the cars. But we can work out the particulars later.” He shook his head. He didn’t mind paying for the hotel and a rental car but he knew that Maria wouldn’t let him.

“Sounds good to me, I am up for anything.” And he was she knew he would be the easy going one while it was the others she would have to worry about.

“Good, well Isabel and Alex just walked in with my dinner. I made them buy me Chinese.” Max laughed, he knew about her obsession with Chinese Food.

“Ahh, well I wouldn’t want to keep you from the food of the God’s” she laughed, she remembered when she told him that.

“I can’t believe you remember that?”

“I remember a lot of things. But go eat your food and I will call you next week before I leave.” She told him some last minute things and stopped.

“Hey Max, Do you think when you get here maybe we can have lunch or something and catch up?” she didn’t want him to feel uncomfortable and if he said no she would not be offended.

“That would be great, we can get Chinese.” She smiled and they both said goodbye. She closed her antenna with her chin as Alex and Isabel walked in the door.

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

After writing this chapter I realized that there was no way I could end it in one chapter. So after this chapter there will be at least two more chapters. I figured that if I ended it now I would be cheating you all and that wouldnt be fair, not only that but the chapter would have been like 40 pages long! So with that thank you all for the feedback once again you are awesome!!!! To the lurkers I know you are there so thank you.

I dont have time for personals I am in a hurry but I thank each one of you!!!!

~*~Chapter 25~*~

Liz glanced at her watch for the fiftieth time and sighed. His plane was late, it really didn’t surprise her though, this was Los Angeles and nothing was ever on time.

She had learned that in her first two weeks here. When someone said 8:30 they really meant nine and she hated that. There was never any consideration for other people’s time or their own for that matter. That in itself made her miss Roswell.

They finally announced the arriving flight and she had never been more excited. It was the first time since the wedding she would be seeing him and she couldn’t wait. They had been talking regularly for about three weeks now and a steady friendship was growing, one that neither of them could deny.

She had to admit that she had wanted more. She wanted more than just a friendship, she wanted an actual relationship. But she knew she was not ready for that and neither was he.

She watched as he emerged from the hall and smiled. His hair was longer again, he had toned up and she had to admit that he looked good. Maria had said that his break up with Stephanie was hard on him, but she couldn’t see any of the effects that Maria had mentioned.

He caught a glimpse of her watching him and he smiled and waved. She smiled back and waited patiently as he made his way through the crowd of people. “Hey Liz, you look great.” He kissed her cheek and she smiled.

“Thank you, you do too.” He smiled and thanked her and they went to retrieve his baggage.

“So it is only you and me today. Maria and Jeremy are not coming back from New York till tomorrow and Isabel and Alex won’t be here till Saturday.” Max knew about Isabel and Alex. She had called and told him that Alex had to work on Friday and she had to meet a client and there was no way that either could get out of it.

“Sounds good to me, I don’t mind.” He didn’t. It probably would have bothered him at one time, but now he wanted to get to know who she was now and if that meant he would need to spend time with her so be it.

“Well then you have two choices, Maria gave me the keys and told me to put you up in the house, all alone or you can spend the night in my guest room till she gets home tomorrow?” she was hoping he would stay with her, but she understood if he didn’t.

“You don’t mind?” she shook her head, she wouldn’t have offered if she did.

“Nope.” Then it was settled. They picked up his bags and headed for Liz’s car. They needed to get on the freeway before the heavy traffic started.

~*~*~*~

Liz pulled up in front of her condo and got of the car. Max followed making sure to get his bags out of the trunk. He followed her up the path and he came to stop at the last condo on the right and watched as she opened the door.

She let him in first and he looked around the spacious place. She was right, Maria had found a great deal and Isabel had done a great job decorating it. “This is nice.” He kept looking around as she thanked him and closed the door.

“I will show you to the room.” She went in front of him and made her way to the back room. She opened the door to reveal a very neat work space that also harbored a bed and dresser.

“It isn’t much, but that bed is really comfortable.” He walked in and set his bags against the wall, he didn’t want them to be in the way.

“The bathroom is right next door, my room is across the hall and the hall closet has towels and extra toiletries if you need any.” He shook his head signaling that he understood.

“Thanks Liz.” She smiled and figured she would leave him to get settled. She started to head out of the room when he asked her if she wanted to go to dinner.

“Yeah that would be great. I know a great place, but we should probably get going seeing it will take us an hour to get there.” He looked at his watch, it was already five and he knew they were going to hit traffic.

“Let me just change.” She smiled and decided she should do the same.

When they were both ready Liz grabbed her purse and her car keys and they headed for the little place in Laguna Beach that she really enjoyed. Sure it was farther than the places around her house, but it was also quiet and had a wonderful atmosphere.

“Wow, this is almost worse than D.C. traffic.” He loved traffic, it was when he felt most calm, but right now in this he was not enjoying it.

“Yeah well it has really taken some getting used to. Roswell doesn’t have traffic, and this is hell incarnate.” Max laughed. He had been driving in traffic since he had left Roswell and actually didn’t mind it. But of course for someone who had never experienced traffic this was less than desirable.

An hour and a half later they made it to the restaurant and the hostess greeted them and sat them quickly.

“This is really nice.”

“Isn’t it? I have only been here three weeks and I think I have been here at least ten times. Max laughed, that was one thing he knew was glad hadn’t changed, her food habits.

“Why do you laugh?”

“Some things never change; it is just nice to see.” She blushed. She wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not, but he assured her it was.

The waitress came and they both ordered and the real conversation began. “So have you been dating?” Max looked up at her.

“Um…” he wasn’t sure what to say, but he decided that it didn’t matter and he told her that he had.

“Was it hard? I mean after you and Stephanie had been together for so long was it hard to date again?” she didn’t mean to pry, she just wanted to know.

“It was, just like it was hard to date after you too. In fact it was two years before I ever went on a date. This time, I don’t know. When I moved to Bethesda I couldn’t stay at home and sulk, I had to get out.” He looked at her as she shook her head. It almost gave her some comfort to know that he hadn’t dated.

“How about you?” she smiled. She had gone on one date since she had ended things with Kyle. The date didn’t turn out that well and she had decided to start liking being single.

“One date, and let me tell you he wasn’t worth the trouble that I put into it.” They both laughed.

“But I am enjoying being single, it is different but fun.” He was glad to hear that. Isabel had said that she had had a hard time being single, she was just that type.

“Well good, as long as you are enjoying it that is all that matters.” She shook her head and their food was brought.

They continued their meal talking and laughing. Max told her about work and the men he worked with while she told him about working for Maria and how the last week she had contemplated going back to teaching.

“If you did that Maria would be lost, you apparently are a much better assistant than the last girl.” Liz laughed she had met the last girl and to say she was better was an understatement. Liz wasn’t quite sure how anything had ever gotten done.

“She would get over it.” Max laughed. He certainly liked the new Liz. She was becoming bold and he really enjoyed seeing this side of her.

They finished dinner and decided to go to get ice cream and walk along the beach. They spent the night talking and laughing and trying to get to know each other once again.

~*~*~*~

Maria opened the door to Liz’s condo and called out for Liz. She closed the door and Max came out of the back with a towel draped over his shoulders and she gave him a questioning look.

“Where is Liz?” he shook his head.

“No hello Max, I am so glad you are here, you look great! Instead all I get is where is Liz?” she smiled.

“HI MAX!!! I am so glad you are here, you are looking very delectable with that towel around your neck.” They both laughed and she gave him a hug.

“So it really is good to see you, but where is Liz?”

“She went to your house; she had some papers and stuff she had to sign.” Maria shrugged.

“Well, ok that gives me more time with you anyway. I was afraid she was going to monopolize my time. So go get…some more clothes on because we are going out.” Max shook his head and headed to the back and Maria waited in the living room for him.

Maria made sure that she called Liz and told her that she was taking Max out. Liz told her to have fun and she would see them later for dinner. They still had reservations at Spago’s and she knew that Maria wouldn’t be late.

Maria had errands to run and she took Max all through Hollywood and L.A. She first had to stop by Capitol Records and drop some papers off so she drove there first.

“So tell me, how was your first night, alone, with Liz.” She certainly wasn’t subtle about anything.

“It was fine, we went to dinner and we talked, and it was fine. How is the relationship with Jeremy?” she smiled brightly. He couldn’t remember a time when her face lit up that way.

“I know what people think. People think that he is only there to be my other assistant and that he is more like an errand boy than a boyfriend. But they also don’t see the other part to us. I do just as much for him as he does for me. If he tells me he is out of soap I will run to the store and get it. I picked his parents up from the airport last week when he couldn’t. We work well together, balance each other out.” She sighed. She had never dreamed she would fit as well with anybody as she had with Michael. And the fact that she fit with Jeremy sometimes scared her.

“Well, I don’t care what they say, as long as you are happy. I am happy for you.” She smiled at him and then asked him how he had been.

“You know it is hard Maria. I feel like I am letting go of those eight years as if they were nothing. I really feel like if I move on quickly then I am saying that those eight years with Stephanie were nothing.” Maria knew exactly how he was feeling. She knew more about that then he probably realized.

“And you feel like since you are starting this friendship with Liz, and you are scared?” he shook his head, that was exactly what he was feeling.

“Max no one can take those eight years away from you. Liz cant, I can’t, Stephanie cant, no one can. And no one can tell you they didn’t mean anything because it is apparent that they did. But you ended that relationship three months ago and moving on is in your own time frame. But do you want my opinion.” He laughed if he told her no he would get it anyway. When he said nothing she smiled.

“You are getting smart in your old age Maxwell. I know that I push, and I push because I know that you and Liz are meant to be together. But I also want what is best for both of you and right now….that isn’t a relationship. You both are healing, from different things of course, but healing. Friendship is the best and only place to start.” This is why he loved Maria. She always gave it to him straight even if he didn’t want to hear it.

“If that friendship blossoms into something more than so be it, but right now friends is the best way to start.” He knew she was right and they continued to talk about everything under the sun while she finished her errands.

Max had been waiting to talk to someone about Liz for a long time. He had Emily and PJ but they were fond of Stephanie and while they knew that none of this was Liz’s fault they didn’t know her enough to make judgment about her.

Maria was that person, the person who could tell him what he needed to hear and she of course always gave him the advice that he needed.

~*~*~*~

Four hours later they were all sitting in Spago’s having a wonderful meal, a great bottle of wine and good conversation. It had been a long time since they had had this type of conversation without hostility somewhere.

Maria loved seeing Liz so full of life and actually living. It had been ten years since she had seen this side of Liz and she knew that Max had something to do with that.

When dinner ended Maria and Jeremy had decided to go to the movies and Max and Liz declined. Neither one of them wanted to intrude. While they knew they would be more than welcome to go, something about sitting there watching Maria and Jeremy was less than appealing.

Max and Liz decided to go back to her house and just hang out. It was something they hadn’t done in a while and both of them were looking forward to it.

“Want me to make some of my famous margaritas?” Liz asked

“Since when were they famous?” Max joked with her. It felt nice to be this carefree with her.

“Just shut up and hand me the ice and tequila.” Anyone looking at them would know that they were familiar with each other and were once intimate.

They were still in sync with each other even after all these years.

They made enough to serve five people generously and thank God for them they could hold their liquor.

“Oh man remember that time Isabel went totally ape shit on me cause I told Alex she used pimple cream?” Max laughed trying to get the words out.

“Yeah I do, I was on the phone with you when she came into your room.”

“Do you remember when we got busted making out in the girls locker room?”

“How could I forget? I was grounded for like a month.”

“But we still saw each other.” Max winked at her. Those were some of the best times of his life. Getting into harmless trouble and being with Liz. That is the way he liked to remember her. For the first time since his breakup Max wasn’t missing Steph. He wasn’t wishing she was here instead of Liz and that was a step in the right direction he thought.

“Well I’m going to head to bed. I have a few last minute things to do for Maria in the morning.”

“Alright.” Liz got up and rinsed the cups out in the sink.

“Liz?” Max walked in behind her getting her attention.

“What’s up?”

“Thank you.”

“For?” She looked at him puzzled wondering what he meant.

“For just being you. I missed this side of you, it’s nice to see you enjoying life again.” It sounded like an insult but it wasn’t. He meant it with all honesty.

“It’s nice to be living again.” They both laughed. Soon the situation got awkward. A part of Max, however small, wanted to kiss her. The situation felt right, it was your typical Hollywood movie set up but he couldn’t bring his legs to walk toward her, to take the four little steps and pull her lips to his.

“Well I’m going to turn in myself as well.” He had chickened out. A part of him was mentally kicking himself but another part was telling him that it was too soon.

“All in due time.” He thought to himself as he walked to the guest room. Liz Parker was warming her way back into his heart, now he needed to find out if she was interested.

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I am almost finished with the final part and with all hopes it will be up sometimes soon. You all are awesome! The song of course is not mine. It is Heaven by Bryan Adams

roswell3053
Vicki LVCM
Timelord31
begonia9508
Emz80m
maya
tequathisy
RhondaAnn
Ellie
Alien614
paper

~*~Chapter 26~*~

Max rolled over and stretched. The wonderful smell of coffee filled his nose and he inhaled deeply. The sounds of the radio being blasted filled his ears and a smile spread across his face.

It had been months since he had woken up to the smell of coffee and the sounds of music. He liked it and he knew he could get used to it and that should have scared him, but it didn’t.

He got up and headed to the kitchen. He rounded the corner and there she dancing to the music. Her long tee-shirt and boxer shorts rode up slightly as she waved her arms in the air.

He leaned against the wall and watched her as she danced in circles with the spatula in her hand. He took in the sight of her and studied every inch of her as she moved to the music. He also recognized the tee-shirt.

He could remember exactly when he had given it to her, where and why and it brought a smile to his face. After eleven years she had kept the shirt and he was sure it was probably gone by now.

She turned around and came face to face with Max and shrieked in embarrassment. Max couldn’t help but laugh, she looked like a kid that had just been caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

“Please don’t stop on account of me.” She rolled her eyes and poured him a cup of coffee.

He took a sip and made a sound telling her that it was good. “This is wonderful, I forgot how good your coffee was.”

“See that is what being away ten years will do to you.” She smiled and turned her attention back to the pancakes she was making.

“You are making my favorite.” She turned again and smiled, she hoped they were still his favorite. Every Saturday he would come into the Crashdown and order pancakes and coffee.

The tension and the uncomfort from the night before were gone and Max was actually thankful for that. He didn’t really feel like waking up and dealing with the tension.

“Have a seat and these will be ready in just a second.” He took a seat at the table facing her and she quickly put the pancakes on a plate and walked over and set them on the table.

She sat across from him and they both began to eat. Max couldn’t stop looking at her in his shirt though. Something about her wearing it reminded him of when they were sixteen.

“I can’t believe that you still have that shirt.” She looked at him and looked at her shirt and a smile spread across her face, she was embarrassed though.

“I couldn’t part with it.” He smiled at that.

“What if I want it back?” her head jerked up and she put her arms around her chest.

“Well, you can’t have it. It has been mine the last eleven years and I have slept in it the last ten so you aren’t getting it back.” He took her words in and thought about it. She had worn his shirt to bed at night, for the last ten years she had wrapped herself in him.

At one time that might have scared him, but for some reason it brought the butterflies to his stomach.

“Well in that case, I would hate to rob you of it.” She threw her napkin at him and he smiled.

They both continued to eat and when breakfast was over he did the dishes for her. She went to get ready; they had to be at the airport in an hour to pick up Isabel and Alex.

~*~*~*~

They arrived at the airport just as Isabel and Alex were at the baggage claim. Isabel ran to Max and went straight to his arms. She hadn’t seen him in two months and while they talked on the phone all the time seeing him was different.

“How much have you missed me?” he laughed

“Tons, and you better have missed me that much too” they laughed and he squeezed her closer to him.

“No, not really” she smiled and they pulled apart and Max shook Alex’s hand while Isabel and Liz hugged.

“Thanks for coming to get us.” Max told him it was not problem and helped Alex with the bags while Liz and Isabel gossiped.

When they got back to the house they called Maria and she and Jeremy were at rehearsal. She told them she would be by when it was over.

Isabel and Liz decided to head to the Beverly Center. They both wanted new outfits for the night and decided that they needed to go now before they ran out of time.

~*~*~*~

Maria called Liz and told her what time the limo would be after the others. She also gave her a list of things she needed done before the concert and Liz looked at her watch.

She would have to go now or nothing would be done and Maria would throw a fit. She looked at the other three and gave them the run down of everything that would be happening tonight.

“The Limo will be here at five, whatever you do don’t make him wait she will have my head on a platter for dinner if you do.” She looked at Isabel and Max tried not to laugh. Isabel was notorious for her lack of consideration when it came to time and they all knew it.

“Also do not forget your tickets. They are in the top drawer next to the stove.” She picked up her purse and keys. “I have some errands to run and I will meet you there.” They all agreed and watched as Liz headed out the door.

Isabel took this opportunity to get some quality time in with Max while Jeremy came over and watched the game with Alex.

Isabel put her arm through Max’s as they walked down the sidewalk to the little shopping center down the road from Liz’s condo.

“So, sleeping at Liz’s, that is a big step.” He smiled.

“Yeah I guess.” She gave him a suspicious look.

“What changed? Because I know that last week you were still worried about seeing her.” Max stopped and sat down on the bench outside of the Crate and Barrel.

“You know, I am so tired of fighting her.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean for the last ten years I have been fighting her. I have been trying to forget her, her memory, who she once was and who she became. I have been fighting it for ten years.” Isabel said nothing she just kept listening.

“I realized when I got here that I had to let go. I had to let go of what she once was, what she could have been and stop blaming her for my break up with Stephanie. Even if Stephanie had never showed up in Roswell, we wouldn’t have lasted. I loved her, I always will but she was right. Sometimes love just isn’t enough.” Isabel kept her arm in Max’s and just watched him.

“I just got tired of fighting my feelings of her and trying to stay clear of her. It was exhausting and when she asked me to stay I couldn’t turn her down.”

“As long as you are happy, that is all that matters.” He smiled at her.

“Content, I am content and maybe one day soon it will be happiness.” That was a good way to be. She knew that Max would find his happiness and she knew it was with Liz, they both just needed to realize it.

“Well have you two talked?” he shook his head, they hadn’t talked. There were plenty of times, plenty of moments but nothing was ever said.

Isabel knew by his silence that he hadn’t talked to her. “You two need to talk. You won’t get anywhere if you don’t.”

He knew she was right, they did need to talk and he figured it would have to happen sooner, because later would be too late.

~*~*~*~

The limo pulled up at the exact time Maria said he would and they were all ready to go. Max of course had been teasing Isabel about being ready early.

“Wow you are actually on time! You weren’t even on time to your wedding, Alex this needs to go in the world records book!” Isabel glared and threatened Alex with her eyes.

They all got into the limo and enjoyed the ride to the concert. They talked about which songs they wanted to hear and what they would do afterwards, they were all extremely excited.

When they got to the Hollywood Bowl it was starting to fill. They looked around the stands and saw all of the people. Max was glad for that, Maria deserved this and he was glad there was a full crowd.

They were taken backstage where they met up with Liz and Jeremy. Maria had requested that they join her backstage before the concert. She was nervous and maybe her friends would calm her.

Maria was in a large room sniffing her cedar oil and Max laughed. Same old Maria, nervousness was not her thing. He could remember when she sang at the Valentines Day concert, cedar oil was what she lived on till Michael calmed her down.

Max thought back to that day and he remembered Michaels words to her. He looked at Maria and went over to her.

He pulled her into a hug and into her ear he whispered, “You will be great, you will shine and the whole world will know what we all know.” He felt her squeeze him and he smiled.

“That was just what I needed Max.” she pulled him tighter and when she finally let go the tears were in her eyes.

Max had just given her what she had sought for so long. He had given her back her courage; he had given her a piece of Michael.

They all were going to watch the concert from the front row and as they made their way to their seats Max purposely stayed close to Liz so he could sit next to her.

He felt like he was sixteen again and going to the assemblies at school where he had to find a way to sit next to her.

She grabbed his hand and smiled as he squeezed it. This just felt right for her and for him it was new and exciting but just like her it felt right, it felt like home.

When the concert started it was everything they had thought it would be. Maria was so full of energy and the crowd was enjoying the songs.

She had scheduled a certain song into the concert a while back. She had tried to do it without Liz finding out, but she had. She had begged Maria not to sing it; it would have been too much for her especially with Max there.

Maria had agreed but as she stood on the stage staring at two of her best friends holding hands she saw it and she had to sing it.

“This is for my three bests.” Liz looked at Max as the music started, she wanted to see if she could read the expression on his face.

Oh - thinkin' about all our younger years
There was only you and me
We were young and wild and free

He looked to Liz and he squeezed her hand, this was their song, the song they had danced to the fist time they had ever danced and he held out his hand to her.

Now nothin' can take you away from me
We've been down that road before
But that's over now
You keep me comin' back for more

She took his hand and right there in the middle of the isle they held each other and danced. It didn’t matter that there were hundreds of people around them, to them they were the only ones in the room.

Baby you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

At this moment they were back to being sixteen and madly in love. He could clearly remember the feeling and his heart longed for it. He longed for that time so long ago when life was simply and they were in love.

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

She had her head against his chest listening to his heart beat. This was what she had wanted this, needed and wished for the last ten years.

Oh - once in your life you find someone.
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feelin' down

He looked down at her as she looked up. There it was again, the desire to kiss her. He watched as she bit her bottom lip. He couldn’t resist and their heads moved closer.

Ya - nothin' could change what you mean to me
Oh there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
Cause our love will light the way

As he captured her lips with his own the sparks flew. He couldn’t resist deepening the kiss and as he did so he felt her put all of her force into the kiss. This was what they had been waiting for, longing for.

Baby you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

They stood there kissing in the aisle while people watched. Isabel and Alex had smiles on their face and Maria had to finally stop watching.

I've bin waitin' for so long
For somethin' to arrive
For love to come along

Now our dreams are comin' true
Through the good times and the bad
Ya - I'll be standin' there by you

As the song finished Max finished the kiss. It was one of the more magical moments in his life and he didn’t open his eyes. The smile on his face was to large to hide. He opened his eyes to see Liz, her eyes still closed savoring that kiss.

The kiss was everything she had thought it would be and more, it was it, and it was everything she had ever dreamed, but something still wasn’t right and she knew he could feel it too.

~*~*~*~

The limo pulled up to Liz’s condo and let Max and Liz out. Isabel and Alex had been dropped off at Maria’s with Maria and Jeremy, leaving Max and Liz alone with uncomfortable silence.

It was amazing to Liz how one kiss, a kiss that meant everything could make everything so uncomfortable.

They entered the condo and neither one of them said anything. Max knew he needed to talk to her, he didn’t want her to think the kiss meant nothing to him, but he needed some time to think.

He turned around to see her still standing by the door. She hadn’t moved from the door, she stood with her purse and keys still in her hand. She wanted to say something but she didn’t know what to say.

“I know we need to talk, and I promise we will. I just want to take a shower first.” She nodded her head, she could live with that, she would have to.

“Ok” she watched him walk to the back and she took a deep breath and let it out. This was more frustrating when they had fist started dating.

She went to her room and got changed. She put on a pair of pajama bottoms and Max’s old tee-shirt and went to the living room to wait on him. Her stomach was doing flip flops, she knew they wouldn’t be going away anytime soon.

She sat there for sometime before Max came back to the room. She could smell him from the couch, the smell of soap and his natural scent. It was intoxicating and she inhaled deeply.

He watched her as she did and smiled. He loved that look on her face and he moved closer to her.

“So…” she looked at her the edge of the throw pillow and played with the frayed thread.

He knew it was now or never, he had to talk to her, clear the air and he inhaled deeply and blew the his breath out.

“That kiss really meant something to me Liz. You have always meant something to me, that didn’t change just because I moved away. It didn’t change when I fell in love with Stephanie and it won’t change either.” She just looked at him, she really didn’t like to hear him talk about Stephanie, but she knew that she was a part of him, and she always would be.

“I was so mad at you and for the longest time I hated you. I am not going to lie to you, I promised you I never would. You broke my heart that day in the cemetery.” He didn’t mean to hurt her, that wasn’t his intention but she needed to hear this. There was no way to move past it if they didn’t.

“And when I stopped hating you I moved on. There was no way I was going back and you weren’t looking for me, so I let go. I kept you in my heart, but I let you go.”

“I never let you go.” He knew that and it almost pained him. He knew that even with Kyle she had never let him go.

“I know. But I let you go and I moved on with Stephanie, but there wasn’t a day that went by where I didn’t think about you. I still loved you Liz, and I knew I always would. It was a fact.” There was no denying that he was and would always be in love with Liz, it had just taken him time to figure out what everyone else had already known.

When I came to town and everything happened with Stephanie I blamed you.” she put her head down, she had done more than her fair share of damage.

Max knew it probably sounded like the blame game but it was anything but that. He needed her to understand, he didn’t want this to fester and be at the back of every other conversation.

“But there came a point where I let that blame go. I realized that for more than half of my life I have been fighting you. That time is done,” She looked up at him. What did that mean?

“I have always loved you Liz that won’t ever change.”

“It won’t for me either, ever. I am so sorry about everything I said to you. I said some pretty disgusting things that night things I am really ashamed of.” He looked at her and while he didn’t want to stop her he had to say it.

“Don’t say you are sorry, sorry won’t fix it. It is over and done and we can move past this.” She looked up with no expression on her face.

“Can you ever go back, Max? Back to the way things were before Michael died.” He smiled and scooted closer to her. He thought his kiss earlier had conveyed that to her, but maybe it hadn’t.

“Maybe not back, we are too different. But we can start over, make a fresh start and see where it takes us. ” She smiled and he pulled her into his arms.

“Thank you.” he still had a hold of her.

“For what?”

“For being you, you are a great man Max Evans.” He simply smiled and kept her in his embrace. This was their moment, a moment they had waited ten years for.

FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Well, this is it! FINALLY! Melyssa and I would like to thank you for the time and support you put into this fic and to us! While Melyssa was unable to finish this story with me she sends her thanks. For those of you that stuck with me after Melyssa left I am always greatful. Jazzy thank you for looking parts over for me and pushing me to get this finished! You ROCK! I want to thank everyone for their feedback and to the lurkers for reading, I know you are out there! *Also there is one line from the Princess Bride in here to show Isabels mocking tone*

~*~Chapter 27~*~

Max knocked on the door to Isabel’s condo and waited patiently. He could hear her shuffling and talking to herself and he could hardly contain the amused smile that graced his lips.

“Max, what are you doing here?” there was a hint of annoyance in her voice and Max simply looked at her.

“Well hello to you too. I mean I at least expected a ‘hello Max, come in sit down stay awhile, I so glad you are…” he found the door immediately slammed in his face. He was a little taken back when the door flew open and Isabel stood there with a stupid smile on her face.

“MAX!” she pulled him into a hug “I am so glad you are here. Come in, sit down, stay a while!” Max pulled back from her.

“Hello to you too smart ass” she laughed and moved out of the way to let him in the house.

He immediately noticed all of the cleaning products, broom, vacuum and mop sitting in the corner. He turned around and immediately gave her the ‘what are you doing?’ look.

“Midy is here, I am not doing anything” she had her hands in the air as if she were being arrested.

“Well if you hadn’t…”

“Gotten up on the ladder” her head was moving in a mocking way. “Yes I know, if I hadn’t gotten up on the ladder, I wouldn’t have fallen, I wouldn’t be in this house, and I certainly wouldn’t be checking every 15 minutes as to whether or not I am bleeding” that was almost too much information for him, but he looked at her with sympathy. He knew this was hard on Isabel, she was driving herself crazy.

At Christmas she had announced that she and Alex were going to be parents in July. It was something that no one was expecting, not even them, but alas everyone was more than happy for them. Two days after Christmas she fell off of a ladder while hanging a picture and fell flat on her back.

The doctor said that she would be ok and everything looked normal. However, he said she needed to take it easy and if she started to spot to go straight to the hospital.

“I just wanted that picture hung. If I had waited for Alex it would have been done when the baby came if we were lucky” Max had to laugh. Alex was known for telling Isabel he would do and then months later it was still not done.

“This is why we are hiring Melanie to do the nursery.” Max shook his head and picked up the book that was lying on Isabel’s ottoman.

“What to Expect When You’re Expecting” he flipped through the pages and lowered it.

“Does it really give you all the information you need to know?” she didn’t have to look up from the laundry she was folding.

“I guess, I just bought it so I have only read like three pages of the book” Max let it drop and picked up the People magazine instead. It was more interesting than a random baby book, more gossip and certainly more entertaining.

Isabel studied him closely as he skimmed through the magazine. She had to ask it was starting to nag her. “What are you and Liz doing for tonight?” he lowered the magazine and shrugged.

“I don’t know we hadn’t discussed it. I mean are you and Alex doing something special?” she shook he head.

“No we are spending it in the house. That wasn’t the plan, but we figure as long as we are together ringing in the New Year it doesn’t matter where we spend it.” Max saw the love that flashed in her eyes. She was truly in love and it radiated from her. She was happy, he was happy and all Max could think was that he wanted that, he wanted that more than anything.

He knew that he wanted that with Liz, there was no question about it, but it was just a question of whether or not she wanted the same thing. The last few months had been going really well for them. They had agreed when he left L.A. to renew their friendship and it has escalated to so much more. They talked nightly, he had flown out to see her, she had flown to see him and things were going well.

However, they had yet to define their relationship and that scared him. While he knew how he felt about her, how did she feel about him.

“MAX!” his head snapped up

“What?”

“I have been calling your name for the last few seconds.”

“Sorry, I was just thinking…”

“About Liz?” he nodded, he didn’t have to say anything to her, she picked up on it plus she was Isabel, she knew.

“Still haven’t talked yet?” she rolled her eyes and sat next to him on the couch.

“Every time I start to something comes us, you fell, Maria needed to go back to LA and needed Liz to go with her, something just always comes up.”

“You both need to sit down and define the relationship, you both are killing us.”

“Well, glad to know it isn’t just me that is tortured.” He was sarcastic and Isabel felt for him. He had already been through so much and now here he was struggling with the one thing he knew he wanted but couldn’t do it.

“Max, you won’t know how she feels until you talk to her. But I know that I can say she is probably just as scared as you and dreading this very conversation. The last three months have been great for both of you. This is a new year, make the most of it” Max put his hand over Isabel’s and smiled at her.

“Thank you” she wrinkled her nose and shrugged her shoulders. “You really are the master!”

“You know—since I am the master of fixing your problems you could do something for me” Max rolled his eyes. He was almost afraid of the request.

“Watch it with me?” he nodded his head.

“NO” her eyes were pleading.

“You know I can’t watch it alone and Alex refuses to watch it with me and Liz and Maria won’t either” I sigh as if I am in pain. It took years for me to even be able to look at that movie and not cringe.

“Isabel…”

“Please?” who would have thought Isabel would turn into a beggar when she got pregnant.

“Fine, but you mention one word, we are turning it off” there is a hint of mischief in her eyes and I point to her. “I meant it”

“Anyone got a peanut” I knew she would do that. I simply shake my head and go put the movie in and sit next to her as she becomes engrossed in The Princess Bride.

~*~*~*~*

When Max got back to the house he saw Liz’s rental car in the driveway. It had taken him a while to get used to the fact that Liz, over the years, had become a permanent fixture at his parent’s house. It was nothing for her to go over and simply go in the house.

He walked into the kitchen and Liz, Maria and his mother were sitting at the table discussing something.

“Hey sweetie” Diane smiled as Max walked over. He gave his mom a kiss on the cheek and then he kissed the top of Liz’s head. It was something that had become normal for them.

“How is Isabel?” Max walked from behind Liz and sat next to Maria.

“I think she is trying to pretend like she is ok with being home, but she just made me watch the Princess Bride with her and she cried through the whole movie” Maria and Liz began laughing and Max shot them both glares.

“Awww Max, I know you hate it but it meant something to her” His mom knew just how much he hated that movie. Isabel had tortured him with it when they were younger.

“So what is plan for tonight?” he picked up the paper Maria had slid across the table. Diane quietly excused herself when Jeremy came back into the room to finish finalizing the plans.

“Well, we were going to go to Leonard’s but since Isabel can’t go out we were thinking of simply spending it at her house.” Max shook his head that actually sounded like a great idea.

“It wouldn’t be the same if we went without them you know?”

“I think it is great. What are you planning on doing?” Maria’s grin got wider as she began to tell Max the plan. Since Alex was taking Isabel to dinner they would go in and decorate and then surprise her when she came home.

“So we have all decided then?” Maria looked to Jeremy, Liz and Max. They all shook their heads in agreement and Maria smiled.

“Good, then we have things to do” she handed each of them a list and proceeded to explain what each list was.

“Max you have food, and Jeremy you can go with him because you have the utensils. Liz and I are going to get the party supplies and we will meet you at Alex and Isabel’s at nine. And please be on time.” Max laughed and shook his head.

When Max and Jeremy got outside Max laughed. “I always knew someone had to take over.” Jeremy looked at Max in confusion

“Take over what?” Max laughed

“The position of Ice Queen, since Isabel is out of commission Maria has stepped up to the plate” Jeremy looked at him puzzled.

“You mean she wasn’t always like this?” Max just laughed and patted Jeremy on the shoulder.

“Come grasshopper you have a lot to learn” Max and Jeremy headed to the Grocery Store, the sooner they got their work done the faster they could get to Isabel’s.

~*~*~*~*~

At nine everyone was back to Isabel and Alex’s and were on their way to decorating for the festivities. Max and Liz were in the living room while Maria and Jeremy were in the kitchen. Max had been observing Maria and Jeremy and remembering the conversation he and Maria had at the wedding.

“Do you think those two have something?” Liz looked toward Max and shrugged.

“I don’t know. I mean they are always together and she adores him, he adores her and despite the fact that she seems…”

“Insane?” Liz threw the roll of tape at Max. He caught it and laughed.

“She isn’t insane. She is under stress and when she is under stress the pushy side of her comes out. She is so worried about the awards and she has to be in the studio next week to work on the voice for the Disney Movie. It is a lot for her and apparently this Isabelian complex is working for her.”

“Isabelian?”

“That was good wasn’t it?” he shook his head and they both went back to decorating.

“He bought her an I-pod for Christmas” Max looked at her confused. What did an I-pod have to do with anything.

“Um…” Liz smiled.

“According to Maria an I-pod means love” Max shook his head. Maria certainly had an interesting way of looking at things. He just simply shook his head and continued to watch Liz as she hung the decorations.

“I just don’t see why…” the front door swung open and a flustered Isabel walked into the house. However she stopped short when she saw Max and Liz on ladders, Maria carrying a tray of food and Jeremy whistling. She looked at all the decorations and the tears started to form in her eyes.

“Happy New Years!” she looked at all of them, smiles on their faces and the tears ran down her face.

“We wanted to get it done before you got home, but obviously it didn’t work. But since you can’t go paint the town red and party till you dropped, we figured we would celebrate with you here.” She immediately hugged Maria and then Liz. She really had thought she was spending New Years alone with Alex and now here her friends were sacrificing their New Years to be with her.

“Thank you” she whispered in Max’s year when she hugged him.

“Anything for you, plus you didn’t think I could spend New Years without you?” he kissed her cheek and she wiped her eyes.

After some time Alex put a CD on. “I want to dance with my wife” He held out his hand and as she took it he pulled her close to him.

They danced slowly holding each other close and talking quietly. It wasn’t long before Maria and Jeremy had joined them. They were all dancing to Isabel and Alex’s wedding CD.

Liz excused herself after a while and headed out to the back yard for air. She knew she needed to talk to Max but what would she say. She didn’t want to be that girl, she didn’t want to seem like she wanted more than he did.

It wasn’t long before the backdoor opened and she heard him take a deep breath.

“I love the air here” She shuddered as the wind hit her and Max stepped closer to her.

“It certainly is beautiful, you can’t get a view like this from Maryland or LA” she smiled, the view was the best thing about this place. Max looked to her as the light hit her face and reflected off of her eyes. She was beautiful and his heart sped up at the sight of her.

Max turned to Liz and put his hand out. “Dance with me?” She looked at him a little confused.

“There is no music” he smiled and took her hand. He swung her toward him and pulled her close.

“Who needs music” he spun her around and her hair twirled into her face.

“Well, when did you become such a Fred Astaire?” he smiled and winked at her.

“That is my secret” he pulled her toward him and she let her breath out.

“Stephanie taught you?” it really wasn’t a question, she knew the answer, he didn’t have to say anything. She was a subject he was not going to bring up, but since she had he couldn’t lie to her.

“Yes, about two years ago. We took ballroom dancing lessons.”

“I know you loved her, and I am sorry for anything I played in that” she really was. It had taken her a long time to realize that she had played a part in the end of their relationship.

“Don’t take so much credit. I did it on my own. Yes I loved her but never like I loved you. When it came down to it Liz when I looked at my future and saw the one person that I wanted to share everything with, it wasn’t Stephanie, it was you. It was always going to be you and Stephanie knew that.” There was more to tell her, he took a deep breath and started again.

“Earlier Isabel told me that it didn’t matter that she had to ring in the New Year at home just as long as it was Alex that was beside her. I have been thinking about that all night. You are that person Liz. You are the one who I want to be with no matter what. The world just seems right when I am with you” she pulled back and looked up to him with tears in her eyes.

“Me too” she pulled his head toward her and she captured his lips. The kiss was passionate and long and when they pulled apart smiles graced both of their lips.

“So where does this leave us?”

“I think this leaves me thinking you talk too much” he kissed her again and as his hand wrapped around her waist she felt her body melt into his. This was heaven for her. This is what she wanted, and she knew, finally this was what he wanted.

She pulled back and while this was just they way it was supposed to be, there was something that was still on her mind. “Max, what about the distance?”

“I think we can worry about the distance later. Right now lets just enjoy the moment” she put her head back on his chest and they swayed to the music that wafted outside.

Max had been right, there was no going back, and they weren’t the same people. It had taken three months for them to get to know each other, to find all of the good things again. Now in this New Year they would get to know each other more, find the love they had once had and start fresh. And for Liz that was better than going back.

When Liz opened her eyes she caught a shooting star flash across the sky, “Thanks Michael” she closed her eyes again and a smile spread across her face. It was because of Michael that she was there, right now in the arms of the man she loved. It was Michael who had made it possible.

When Max stopped humming his song they separated and Max took her hand. “Let’s go ring in the New Year.” They walked hand in hand back into the condo.

They joined the group and as the six friends came together to start the countdown everyone took a look at each other. These were friends, lovers, siblings but yet they were more. They were one unit brought together in times of tragedy, dullness and happiness. These six friends made each others world right.

“Happy New Year!”