Vertigo. Mi/L Mature. Authors note: pg 18. 18/08/07 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Vertigo. Mi/L Mature. Authors note: pg 18. 18/08/07 [WIP]

Post by kerri240879 »

Title: Vertigo.
Author: Kerri
Category: Mi/L even though it won’t appear so at first.
Rating: Come on…. this is me guys! Adult!!
Disclaimer: Yadah yadah…I don’t own…blah blah… but you bet ya ass I own Lena.
Feed back: Yes, please. This is my first Polar fic, so it would be appreciated. I'll only be updating once a month or so guys, so be patient ok!!
Banner: Jenny.

Summary: After Tess falls pregnant and the pod squad leave, the gang is left to pick up the pieces. How do they react when they come face to face with those who haunt their dreams after nearly eight years?

Authors note: Alex did ‘die’, and Tess and Max do bump uglies, and we go from there. Season 2 has all happened. The bar is based loosely on the movie coyote ugly. No infringement is intended. Just a note though…Max isn’t nice at all in this fiction ~ think end of season 2 Max…but worse. But I do promise you all this ~ he will redeem himself by the end.

For four very special woman ~ Nat, Lisa, Stacie and Ann. Thanks for kicking my ass when needed, and for being sounding boards, and for introducing me to the wide world of polar fiction. Four special women, who I count amongst my closest my friends. And to Jenny, for once more agreeing to be my beta…. we all know how twisted and scary my mind is, a place Jenny visits frequently. I haven’t killed her yet, but I’ve given her several heart failures along the way ~ you rock babe, above any other. ;)

Prologue:

Vertigo:
The sensation of dizziness. An instance of such a sensation. A confused, disoriented state of mind.

A group meeting had been called, and they gathered together slowly in two separate groups. Kyle and Liz sat side by side, their heads close together as they spoke quietly over a problem Kyle was having in science class. They didn’t see the others approaching, and were blissfully unaware that their lives were about to be turned inside out as they talked. Liz explained the problem slowly, her head touching Kyle’s as he finally nodded in understanding.

“Thanks Liz…you’re a life saver,” Kyle murmured, snapping his book shut and removing his pencil from between his lips, where he had been chewing on it while Liz spoke.

They both winced at his choice of words, and Kyle picked Liz’s hand up and gave it a gentle squeeze. Turning her hand over, he laced his fingers through hers, a sign of friendship and support as she gave him a small smile. Sadness had dulled her eyes, Kyle knowing he and Maria would both give anything to see them sparkle once more.

“You ok Liz?” Kyle asked quietly, Liz shaking her head in response.

“No…not really Kyle.” She lowered her gaze and plucked at the grass with her free hand, her shinny hair swinging forward gently and hiding her from view, something she had become an expert of lately. Hide in plain sight…you can’t get hurt that way.

“Oh ohhh…I feel an ice cream moment coming on,” Maria whispered, shooting Kyle a look that spoke volumes. She had been sitting in front of them, watching her best friend closely.

That was the only warning Liz got, Kyle tackling her onto her back, and tickling her ribs as she started laughing helplessly. Maria laughed at Kyle’s expression as he gave Liz’s ribs a scrupulous working over, leaning back against her hands comfortably as Liz shrieked. It was the first time in day’s…weeks really, that Maria could remember feeling like this…since Alex…

It was a throat clearing that had them looking up, their laughter dying down when they saw the four aliens standing nearby. Isabel looked completely shell shocked. Michael looked as if he was ready to commit murder. Tess looked triumphant yet nervous, and Max…Max looked like he was going to be sick. Liz scrambled out from under Kyle, and smoothed her hair down as she sat up, guilt visible in her wary gaze.

“What is it?” Maria asked quietly, sensing that this meeting was going to get nasty. It was the way all of their meetings had ended lately.

Max glanced at Tess, and stepped closer to her side. The movement didn’t go unnoticed by anyone in the group, and Maria blindly groped for Liz’s hand.

“Ummm…things changed…the night of prom…” Max began haltingly.

“We get it Max” Kyle interrupted. “Both Liz and I saw you and Tess kissing. You’re together now…. So why the public announcement about it?”

Max blanched at Kyle’s statement, and Tess lowered her eyes.

“Its more than that” Max stammered, unable to lift his gaze. “We…we spent the night together…ummm…Tess’s pregnant.”

Max lifted his gaze then, and watched as Liz swallowed, hurt radiating from her every fibre as she deliberately turned her gaze from his. Max frowned slightly, but before he could open his mouth to remind Liz that she had slept with Kyle, and that they were no longer friends, Maria spoke up, her own eyes shooting angry sparks.

“Ok…so…Tess and you are gonna be parents…can we like…go now? Or we having a party to celebrate just how fucked up this is?”

Max shook his head as he glared at Maria for her heated outburst, and looked towards Michael and Isabel for support. Michael scowled at him, before spitting out the news none of them were prepared for, showing just how angry he was at the situation.

“The kid can’t survive here…we’re going home.”

Part 1.

“Alrighty Jamie…. ya’ll get home safely now ya hear?”

Liz looked up as the double doors shut with a thud, and she sat down with a soft groan. The sun was due to rise in an hour or so, sending it’s pale light spilling through the wide bay windows, and dust particles spinning. She massaged her aching temples lightly with her fingertips, and sent a half hearted glare in the direction of the source of her headache.

“Do me a favour Kyle…. hide that damn karaoke machine!”

Kyle started laughing, and nodded his head in agreement.

“That was just down right nasty last night…. I think if I’d heard one more rendition of Sweet Home Alabama, I would have gotten up and punched the Alabama right outta Jamie’s mouth!”

Liz started laughing at the thought of that image, and she collapsed weakly onto the barstool. It was when the music kicked in for at least the twentieth time that night that she turned around, a genuine smile breaking out over her face when she saw whom the culprit was. Kyle held his hand out to her, snorting with laughter as he sang the offending song of choice. It was the same occurrence every time they held a karaoke night. Jamie would hog the microphone, and this song would be all he sang. But now that the bar was empty save for staff, Liz didn’t mind the song. After all, it was almost her national anthem now.

Kyle grabbed her around the waist, and dipped her backwards over his arm, Liz snorting with laughter as he almost threw her upright, sending her hair swinging around her face in silken waves. He sighed softly as he drew her into his arms, Liz smiling as she rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. Yeah…she was home.

“How’d ya’ll do tonight? Many guys grabbin at ya ass Lizzie girl? Or did grasshopper here frighten da horny bastards off?”

Liz opened her eyes and smiled slightly, her eyes trained on the woman who had spoken. Ava sat on the bar comfortably, leather clad legs stretched out, and a devilish smirk on her face as she twirled some of her hair around her finger, all the while chewing madly on a piece of gum. Ava wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, causing Kyle to groan out loud. Liz couldn’t help smiling, and gently withdrew from Kyle’s arms as she joined Ava at the bar.

“Nope…I stayed behind here tonight…you should know that Aves…it was you after all, shaking your butt on the counter, remember!”

Ava smirked again, and winked at Kyle as he started to clean up the stage area.

“True dat lady, but I also know that da guys here come for three things…and three things only…”

“Some damn fine entertainment, all da scotch they can handle, and to get a glimpse of my fine ass,” Liz finished dryly in a bad imitation of Ava’s thick accent, both girls starting to laugh as Ava clucked her tongue against her teeth.

“Ya know it baby! So when are ya gonna give ‘em some suga hey suga?”

Kyle grinned as he joined them. “Why would she Aves, when you’re up there every night, shakin what ya alien makers gave ya?”

Ava flipped Kyle the finger, and leant closer to him. “Suck on it Buddha Boy. Don’t ya’ll be envyin da booty…might lower ya status to an ant.”

Liz choked on her laughter, Ava snorting outright as Kyle glared at her.

“Just coz ya worship ya man’s booty rather than the divine teachings of Buddha doesn’t mean that karma won’t run full circle Ava!”

Ava raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow, and nodded slowly, her eyes sparkling with mischief as she slid a glance Liz’s way.

“Riigghtttt…. coz da bronze man’s gonna gimme an orgasm when I go to bed latah on right Kyle…uh huh…can ya hear me now Lizzie girl?”

Ava ran her hands up over her breasts, and tilted her head back as she let out a throaty moan, her eyes sliding shut as Liz hid her grin.

“Ohhhh…ohhhh…Ohhh Buddhhaaaa….”

Liz doubled over with laughter as Kyle snorted, stomped his foot, and stamped away, muttering under his breath about certain blonde alien chicks and their smart assed mouths as he went.

“Latah lova…ya’ll give Buddha a big smooch for me now” Ava called out after him, Liz gasping for breath as Kyle turned around and shot the blonde a filthy look, before continuing up the stairs to the private rooms above the bar.

Liz shook her head in wry amusement as Ava slid from her stool and under the bar, grabbing two shot glasses on her way. Liz sighed softly, watching as Ava poured them both a shot of single malt whiskey, and lit the top of both glasses with a lighter. Blue green flame flared brightly for a moment, before circling the rim of each glass lazily. Blowing the flames out, Ava slid a shot glass over to Liz, the two girls clinking glasses.

“To a damn good night,” Ava murmured.

“To karaoke,” Liz returned.

“Alli-oop,” Ava cracked, before both girls downed the shot.

Liz winced as the whiskey slid down her throat, warm and soothing the whole way. Life sure had turned out strange. If you had asked her ten years ago what she would have been doing at the age of twenty-five, she would have smiled and said, “Working in molecular biology, and having babies with Max Evans.” Well…that plan had shot out of the atmosphere eight years ago. Molecular biology had taken a back seat to having part ownership of a bar in the dirty south. Having babies was shelved, the replacement being the friendships she had formed. And Max…

Max Evan’s was a bad dream she had suffered from every night. Liz winced as she set her glass down with a solid thud on the polished oak surface of the bar. Her memories assaulted her, turning her eyes blind with tears as she remembered the callous way Max had treated her after Alex had died. His blatant refusal to listen to her pleas for understanding regarding the set up with Kyle. The names he had called her…hatred burning in his eyes. Yeah…life sure had turned out strange.

“Yo Lizzie girl…where ya at?”

Liz looked up at Ava, and had to blink as she stared into the face of the girl whom she hated with every fibre of her being, yet loved more than anyone else too. Two girls, both from the same dead queen…yet complete opposites in personalities. Love and friendship shone in Ava’s eyes…along with understanding. She knew where Liz had gone in her mind all right…and it called for desperate measures.

Picking up the whiskey bottle, she pushed the call button under the bar, signalling to Kyle that he was needed, and steered Liz into a seat at a table. Pouring them both another shot, Ava set the bottle down with a thud, and stared at Liz silently as they downed their shots. Liz’s eyes slid shut as the straight whiskey burnt her throat, and when she reopened them, Ava’s eyes had turned sad. Ava poured again, and then ran her finger over the rim of the glass, sending a pure sound echoing around them.

“Do ya remember when we first hooked back up girl?”

Liz nodded slowly, her eyes trained on the girl who had saved her and the human’s in more ways than one.

“I thought ya were gonna scratch my eyes right outta my head…I swear, I’ve nevah been so damn scared in my whole life as I was right then. Ya were lookin at me and Zan as if ya’d seen a ghost…starin at me with hatred, and at Zan with love and hope in ya eyes…then ya realised it was me, and I swear girl, I’ve never seen someone so broken as ya looked right then…ya remember?”

Liz nodded slowly, Ava indicating she should take her shot. The two girls touched glasses and drank, and Ava resumed her tale as she poured them another.

“It wasn’t all bed of roses after that though was it? I was fightin with Zan over da mind warp in regards to da truck, and he was tryin to explain himself…Maria was spirallin down a bad path, Kyle was shit scared of me, and you…you were forced to face ya worst nightmare when Zan and me finally got our shit together, and hooked back up…I honestly thought I’d lost da only friend I had when that happened.”

Liz sighed softly. “It just reminded me of…them. But then I realised that you…”

“…Wasn’t Tess. And Zan wasn’t Max. And that we wanted nothin from ya’ll, but friendship. And that’s all I wanted girl. So here we are…eight years on today…and ya still lookin at me like I’m her.”

Liz sighed heavily at Ava’s words, and lowered her gaze in shame. Ava was right…she and Zan had been a lifeline for the others…helping when first Liz’s, and then Kyle’s powers manifested. Helping them to not only control them, but to understand them. They had taken on Michael’s old apartment, and had basically hidden for the final year that the others had been in school, before the five of them had taken off the day after graduation…and none of them had been back to Roswell since.

Zan and Max might have looked the same, but they too were direct opposites in many ways. The punk look was the first clue. The second was the difference in powers. While Max had been the healer, Zan could only heal slight wounds. Nothing major. His main power was destruction…more along Michael’s powers than Max’s. And Ava could dream walk, not mind warp like Tess. She could change money and simple things…again… nothing major. It was Zan who could warp…

They could both drink, where as the others had gone completely haywire when they had even had a sip. And while they looked like the others on the surface…inside…again, polar opposites. Ava was gentle and kind, with a fun loving sense of humour. She and Kyle blatantly picked the shit out of each other, but at the end of the day, they had become friends. It had taken nearly three years, but friends they were. It was only Ava that Kyle could talk to about Tess, and she listened with a sympathetic ear, and shoulders strong enough to bear his burdens.

And Zan…Liz sighed. He was ice cold on the outside. The only people he let in were Ava, Kyle, Maria and Liz. Mistrust shone in his eyes and there was a hardness to him that Max had never had. It rang true, along with the scars from living on the streets. From almost dying at Lonnie and Rath’s hands. From having to heal the old fashioned way…from nearly losing Ava…but when he did let you in…you had a friend for life. One who would give anything and everything for you…without wanting anything in return.

Eight years had changed them all. Maria had left them though…she was married now, and living with Lucas in New York City. Her music career was solid, and she was finally happy. She had laid Michael’s ghost to rest after the fifth year anniversary. It had been hard for her to let Lucas in, but he had been patient with her, wearing down her walls slowly. Life was beautiful for her now, and the others wished her nothing but happiness.

Kyle…Liz smiled slightly. Kyle had been a man whore. He’d nailed anything female in those first few years, chasing tail and getting happy. But then he’d turned back to Buddha, and turned his life around. He had helped out with the bar, and had settled down. He and Zan had formed a solid friendship, and could be found most days, tinkering with cars or bikes, or discussing life in general. While Kyle had been uneasy around Max, with Zan he was finally at ease.

Liz sighed…she’d changed the most. Her mother had never forgiven her for giving up her dreams, and while that had shocked Liz, her father’s support had been the biggest shock of all. It had been him who had fronted the money she needed to buy into the bar. Her father who made the trip every year, to make sure she was ok. Her father, who had not turned from her when he discovered her biggest secret, and who had listened with a gentle smile, and an open heart.

Ava’s gentle voice tore Liz from her musings, Liz forcing herself to look Ava in the eye.

“Lookit Lizzie…we’re friends yeah?” Liz nodded; and let herself relax as Ava laid a gentle hand over hers.

“Then why have ya been wiggin on me for da past week or so? Ya lookin at me like I’m Tess again…like I’m gonna warp ya or somethin. Did I say somethin to upset ya’ll? Or is it somethin else?”

Liz took a deep breath, and squared her shoulders.

“Have you been dream walking me Ava?”

Ava reared back as if Liz had slapped her. Her eyes widened in distress, and her face paled as she stared at Liz in shock.

“God no!!! I’d never do that to you Liz! How could ya even think…god.”

Liz bit her lower lip as she reached out and covered Ava’s hand with her own. She hadn’t meant to upset her friend, but she’d had to ask all the same.

“I’m sorry Aves…really I am. It’s just…since I changed, I can tell when someone’s using their powers…. you know this. And for the last few weeks I’ve felt this…presence…I wasn’t sure if it was you or not. I had to ask…I’m really sorry Ava. I know you’d never hurt me…you or Zan.”

Ava reached blindly for the bottle, and took a deep swig, not bothering with niceties such as using a glass. When she sat the bottle back down, she reopened her eyes, and stared straight at Liz.

“Where…when…how often…and what da hell are they doin in ya dreams? What are you doin in ya dreams?”

Liz sighed again, and spoke quietly. “It started three weeks ago…. just a faint brush of my mind. They don’t do anything, they just watch. I’m always dreaming about this place, and the bills we pay, and everyday shit. You taught me to keep myself closed off, so I do, even in sleep. Kyle’s the same. After that first brush, it happened a few days later, and then a few days after that.”

Liz grabbed the bottle, and took a mouthful herself, needing to settle her nerves now that it was out in the open.

“Not last time, but the time before, I caught sight of someone. My dream plane was like a thick bubble, and this…person…was standing on the outer edge watching me do the books. It’s hands were pressed against the bubble’s membrane, and I could…. feel them Aves. They were so sad…so lonely. The guilt they felt…and the shame. That’s why I thought it was you.”

“So you ain’t pickin up on no malice then…just these feelin’s. What else?”

Liz looked towards the stairs, and spoke softly. “The presence is getting stronger…it’s female. She wears her pain like a cloak, because she isn’t aware that I can pick up on her feelings in there. But then last night…someone else joined her in the dream world. It was male. All he could feel was anger and pain and doubt. Fear. He just stood behind her and watched. They’re both strong, but he’s definitely the stronger of the two.”

“Like me and Zan?”

“Yeah.” Liz looked up then, and looked straight at Ava. “I really am sorry Ava. But I had to ask. The only two aliens I know live with me…I just had to be sure.”

“Had to be sure of what?” a new voice asked.

Liz looked up and smiled slightly as Kyle settled down onto the bar stool between her and Ava, nudging Ava’s shoulder gently with his own to let her know his act before had just been a joke too.

“Someone’s been dream walkin Lizzie girl here…she asked if it was me or Zan, which it ain’t…”

The threesome fell silent at that, staring at each other uneasily. It was Kyle who broke the silence as he reached for the half empty bottle. Taking a mouthful, he set the bottle back down and spoke softly.

“Isabel could dream walk.”

“Isabel’s on Antar…she’s probably dead Kyle. They probably all are” Liz said quietly.

“Like we’re supposed to be a dead?” a wry voice asked softly.

Liz spun on her stool, a warm smile breaking out over her face as she stared at the door. Zan winked at her, his cocky attitude in full-blown smart-ass mode as he blew Ava a kiss. Liz could only stare at him for a moment, her heart constricting slightly. No…Max would never measure up to the man before her now. It wasn’t the attitude, or the tatts, or the wildly scruffy look…it was the heart of him. And the fact he had risked his life to save the man standing at his side.

Turning slightly, Zan took the hand of the man beside him, and tucked it into the crook of his elbow. When he squeezed slightly, Zan crossed the room slowly. This was their biggest secret, and one that none of them had trouble keeping. The only people outside of the group at the bar who knew were Maria and Lucas, Jim and Jeff. It was also the reason why they had left Roswell so quickly, and why none of them had been back since.

Reaching out, Liz took the man’s hand, and led him to his seat, as Zan grabbed Ava’s hair in a playful handful, and tugged her head back for a kiss. Kyle and Liz watched as the blind man set his cane by the table, and removed his wire-rimmed glasses. Bright green eyes stared blindly across the room, but his voice was warm and tinged with amusement.

“Liz Parker…have you been keeping secrets again? Is that anyway to treat the surviving members of the Scooby gang?”

Liz heard and felt the slight admonishment behind his words, and reaching out, took his hand in her own. Lacing their fingers together, Liz felt her burden lift, and smiled as she stared into his unseeing eyes. Blind or not, at least he was still here…still with her.

“No Alex…you’re the only secret I have left.”
Last edited by kerri240879 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:36 am, edited 16 times in total.
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 2.

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback!

“No…Max…please…no…”

It was only whispered, but it woke him with a start anyway. He felt his companion shift beside him, still locked within the safety of his arms. Blinking slightly, he closed his eyes again, only to wrench them open again when his companion stiffened, and then gave a muffled scream. Her arms and legs flailed as she fought his ever tightening embrace, trying to escape both the prison of her dreams, and the nightmares that would plague them both for a long time to come.

“No…get away from me!!!”

Reaching out, he snapped his fingers at the dying fire, and watched as it flared to life. The warmth of the flames and the flickering light snapped her awake, and she lay gasping in his arms; her eyes squeezed shut as she fought her tears. Calloused fingers traced her jaw gently, and a tired voice whispered her name as the gentle caress continued along her cheekbone.

“Isabel…wake up…it’s only a dream. You’re safe. I won’t let anyone hurt you…I won’t let them hurt you again…wake up Isabel.”

Isabel opened her eyes slowly, fear still lurking in their dark depths as she stared up at him. Tears she had fought for so long spilt down her cheeks, and his name tumbled from her lips with a sob.

“God Michael…how could he do that to us?”

Michael sighed, and lay back down on the hard ground, pulling Isabel closer to his body. He felt her roll onto her side, her long tangled hair covering his shoulder as she laid her head over his heart. Wrapping his arms around her tightly, Michael sifted his fingers carefully through her hair, and felt her start to relax.

“I don’t know Isabel…I just don’t know. All I do know is that he changed long before we left earth, and it only got worse when we got to Antar. But we’re safe now …I promise. I’ll kill him before he gets a chance to hurt you again. You know this.”

Isabel nodded numbly, and sighed as she felt Michael brush a kiss over the crown of her head. He spoke the truth…he always had with her. In the eight years they had been gone, Michael had been the one source of truth and strength with her. Gone was the broken little boy she had known for so long. In his place stood a man, hell bent on protecting her with his life if necessary.

It had started in the granolith chamber, when Michael had paused, unsure of whether he actually wanted to go through with it or not. He’d never gotten to make that choice ~ Max had used his powers on him, and had forced him into the cone of the granolith. That had been the beginning of the end for them all. Michael had never forgiven Max for that…. and neither had she.

Once on Antar, even with Tess’s treachery in plain light, Max had chosen her over them, due to his son. It was Max who had killed Kivar, and had retaken the throne. The people had been happy to have their king and queen back, and Max had forgiven Tess, believing her lies in regards to Alex. The final straw had come when he had told Isabel that Alex wasn’t important…only his son was. And that he was beginning to love Tess…his wife. So basically…deal with it.

Michael had found Isabel standing on the edge of a cliff, swaying slightly in the breeze as she stared across the barren land. A photograph had been fluttering in her limp fingers, and only his long strides had saved her from simply letting go, and falling to her death. The photo had been of the group on prom night ~ Max and Tess’s faces had been burnt away, yet it was a link to the past Isabel so desperately wanted to return to. So they began to make plans.

It had taken them a further three months to finalise their plans ~ iron out any problems. And in the dead of night…they simply left Antar. Destination? Home. It had been Larek who had helped them in the end, after witnessing his king’s heavy-handed approach to dealing with his sister’s misery. Larek who had healed the split lips, and swollen eyes. Larek…who had smuggled them off Antar, and into the deep space. Michael would always be indebted to him.

They had arrived on earth nearly four months ago. Hitching into Roswell, they had hidden from view, watching for any detection of their friends. When none had been found, Isabel had dream walked Liz…only to discover they weren’t even in Roswell anymore. Without alerting anyone to their presence, they had set off into the night, a bike bought with paper changed to look like money and a backpack of threadbare clothes their only possessions. They slept in camping grounds, and continued to make their trek across the states, with Isabel dream walking Liz to try and find them every few days.

Michael sighed as he remembered the dream he had watched with Isabel the night before. He hadn’t told Isabel about this part of the dream…. she had faded from his side before she had seen it. They had both seen the bar Liz had been doing paper work at. They had both seen her lift her head warily. It had been then Isabel had faded, fearing Liz would sense them. But Michael had stayed, and what he had seen had shocked him to the core. Alex had appeared by Liz’s side, the two dancing slowly to music only they could hear, talking softly as they swayed in the darkened bar.

“Michael?”

Michael broke his train of thought, and stared up at Isabel as she propped herself up on her elbow, and stared down into his eyes. She smiled sadly, and bending her head, pressed a quick kiss to his cheek.

“I just wanted to say thank you…for coming back with me. For looking after me…up there. I’m sorry it turned out the way it did.”

Michael nodded, and watched as she knelt up. Looking around, Isabel gestured towards the shower block. Michael nodded again, and together they walked towards the showers. Pausing by the woman’s openings, Michael stared into the darkened block, and with a quick glance around the slightly crowded grounds, followed Isabel inside. They took a shower stall each, one that was side by side, and shed their dirty clothes.

Michael heard the water start in Isabel’s stall, and smiled slightly as he rummaged through the bag containing their gear. Finding what he was after, he tapped lightly on the wall separating them.

“Isabel…”

“Hmmm?” came the soft groan. Michael smirked, and bending down, slid the bottle in his hand under the stall. He heard Isabel groan again, and pictured her opening her eyes…. looking down…and…

“Oh god Michael…if I didn’t think of you as a brother, I’d offer my body as thanks!” she cried, causing Michael to smirk again as he started his own shower.

Chicks…he didn’t get them. Never had, never would. He’d known and loved Isabel like a sister in two lives now…and he still didn’t understand why a bottle of two in one shampoo and conditioner could cause her to coo like she was right then. Soap…now that was a luxury he’d never take for granted again…but shampoo? That’s what soap was for…Michael looked down when he felt the thud of a bottle against his foot. It was the bottle he had handed Isabel earlier…

“Don’t think, just use it Michael…and if you’re finished with the soap, can I have it please?”

Michael grunted in surprise. “Hang on,” he mumbled, quickly dragging the soap across his body, and watching as the dirt swirled down his chest, and into the drain hole. A few minutes passed by in silence as he finished cleaning his skin and face, before he knelt slightly and held the bar of soap out to Isabel in her side of the stall. Wet fingers brushed his own as she took the soap, Michael shaking his head once more as he stared at the bottle at his feet.

“What the hell,” he mumbled, pouring some of the liquid into his palm. The once full bottle was half empty, telling Michael Isabel had washed her hair twice…something she had done all the time on earth. The clean smell of the forest hit his nostrils as he washed his hair, causing him to close his eyes and sigh softly. It was only Isabel’s laughter that had the groan stopping before it started.

“I heard that sigh Michael…smells good doesn’t it? Like it’s real now…we’re home.”

Michael didn’t try to stop the grin that split his face. Home. Now that was a sound he could get used too. He heard Isabel starting to stamp her feet, and taking note, grabbed his own dirty clothes and dropped them over the drain hole. The clothes got wet immediately, Michael stamping on them to get the dirt out as the water started to cool.

Turning the water off, Michael waved his hand over his body, drying the drops that clung to his skin. Rummaging through the bag once more, he hung their only towel over the edge of the stall between him and Isabel, before dragging on a pair of semi clean jeans. When he looked up again, the towel was gone. Returning to his soggy clothes, he picked them up, and took them to the sink. Dumping them in the basin, he finished washing them, before leaving them on the counter for a moment. He heard Isabel curse and then burst into tears, and spun towards the locked door of her stall.

“What?” he asked, only to thump heavily on her door when she didn’t answer. “Isabel…you know I’ll kick that door down if you don’t answer me…I’ve done it before. Now what the hell is wrong?”

“Nothing Michael…. just give me a few minutes” she pleaded quietly.

Michael scowled slightly, and simply swiped his hand over the lock. The door swung open an inch, Michael stopping it before it went any further. He heard the rustle of cotton, and knew Isabel had wrapped the towel around her body, so he pushed the door open completely. Isabel sat on the wooden bench, the towel covering her nakedness, with tears running down her face. Her cheeks were red with embarrassment, and her hair hung in heavy wet strands around her shoulders as she looked at the floor.

“What’s wrong?” he asked softly; worry beginning to cloud his eyes as he sat down on the narrow bench beside her.

Isabel twisted her fingers slightly, before she spoke, her voice halting every few words, showing the complete depth of her humiliation.

“You know how we never…mated…or any such thing together on Antar? I stopped getting my…my periods while I was up there…and now…now I’m home again…and…”

“Ohhhh…”

Michael wasn’t sure what caused him to blush: The fact he was sitting beside a naked Isabel discussing their lack of romantic tendencies towards each other, a fact that had pissed Max and Tess off more than anything, or the fact that he now realised what had upset her. She had her period. They didn’t have any girly products with them…. which meant…he’d have…to…damn.

Isabel started crying again, burying her face in her hands as she shook her head. “I’m sorry Michael…I didn’t even think…”

“Isabel…shut up will ya? We didn’t know this would happen…I’ll be back in a minute ok?”

Michael made her lock the door, and walked out of the room, his head spinning as he muttered under his breath. Looking around the camping ground, he thanked his lucky stars when he saw a young man tending to his own campfire. Approaching him hesitantly, Michael cleared his throat. Five minutes later, the two men parted company, both of their faces red, while the guy’s girlfriend simply laughed.

“When your friend’s dressed, why don’t you join us for breakfast?” she offered, Michael nodding as he mumbled his thanks and fled, a tampon concealed in his pocket.

They did join the couple for breakfast, and learnt their names were Joanne and Rick, and that they were travelling the states on a working holiday. They sat back after a hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausages and toast, sipping their coffee as Joanne beckoned to Isabel, the two girls disappearing behind the camper van. When they reappeared, Isabel was blushing, but her hand was clenched in Joanne’s. After helping clean up their mess, the two groups parted company, Michael and Isabel heading for the bike.

Packing up their belongings, they both looked up as the van bounced past them with a toot of its horn, Joanne and Rick both waving their goodbyes as they headed out onto the road. A quick wave of Isabel’s hand had their clothes dry, Michael shaking the bike slightly to listen for the level of fuel they had left. A wave of his hand had it doubling, and he smiled slightly as he watched Isabel conceal a packet of tampons in the outer edge of their bag, thinking that he wasn’t watching.

“Hey Michael?”

He turned towards her, watching as she dragged a comb through her clean hair, the early sunlight bouncing off the strands and sending it shimmering like gold as she shook her head. Standing up Isabel strapped the bag to the back of the bike, her eyes lowered as she spoke.

“Thanks…you know…for…well…everything.”

Michael smirked slightly, and tossed her a helmet, before yanking his own on. Sliding onto the bike, he simply patted the seat behind him in invitation, Isabel smiling as he turned to start the engine of the bike. He’d do anything for her, as she would with him, damn the consequences to hell and back. He was all she had left of her family…Max could go to hell…a place he had tried sending her to with his own hands. Michael wasn’t really one for words…. more along the lines of actions. Take the shampoo. Simple, but it meant so much to her, and he’d known that.

Climbing onto the bike, Isabel wrapped her arms around his waist, and was rewarded with a quick squeeze of her hand within the larger confines of his own. Hands that had spilt Max’s blood to save her life…hands that would spill it again in order to protect her. The bike bouncing over a pothole had her breaking out of her dark thoughts, and she caught Michael’s eye as he looked back at her in the mirror.

Michael winked, and turned to the left, letting the powerful engine leave their combined demons behind, open space beckoning to them as Michael kicked the bike into a higher gear. Isabel started laughing as she felt the power jolt through her body, and she opened her arms wide, her laughter echoing between them as Michael tilted the bike left and right, swerving in wide arcs across the centre line as the sun kissed the highway as the dawn of a new day broke over the horizon.
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 3.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kyle bounced down the stairs a few hours after they had polished off the entire bottle of whiskey, singing under his breath as he turned the coffee maker on. Glancing at the clock, he saw that it was close to three in the afternoon. The bar didn’t open again until seven that night, so he had several hours to kill. The house was quiet, Kyle knowing where all of its occupants were.

Liz had been curled up under her covers in a ball in the middle of her bed, Kyle knowing better than to go within ten paces of her on afternoons like this. It had been him after all, that had peeled her overly drunk body off the top of the bar, and slung her over his shoulder for the five-minute walk to the house they all shared. Kyle smirked slightly; Liz still hadn’t learnt to hold her alcohol.

Ava was also still asleep, Kyle almost slamming her door when he had peeked in on her. She had been facing the doorway, only a scrap of black cotton sheet covering her ample chest from view, but the rest…Kyle whistled softly. Her makers sure had known what they were doing when they made that body! Oh well…he’d never seen the dragon tattooed on her inner thigh before…karma was a bitch, and one he planned on using against her later that night…ant indeed!

That left Zan and Alex. And if he knew those two as well as he thought he did, they’d be in one of two places. Either the garage, or the small shop set up above the bar. A quick check showed an empty garage, Kyle setting out on foot for the bar. He could hear music playing upstairs as he opened the wide double doors, a smile crossing his lips as he recognised the song. It was one Zan played whenever someone brought up Max, or the things he had done in the past to hurt them all.

Jogging up the stairs, he leant against the open door, a smile crossing his face as he took in the scene before him. A young woman sat straddling a chair, her naked lower back facing towards the door. Zan was sitting on a stool behind her, one hand splayed across her back, the other holding the tattooing gun as he nodded his head in time with the loud music. Kyle could make out the ever so faint glow as Zan numbed her skin slightly, his slight healing power the main reason why he was the most sought after tattoo artist in the whole of Houston. It rarely hurt.

Kyle smiled slightly as he took in his friend’s appearance. Black hair that had once stood up in heavy spikes, the tips bleached blonde and then dyed bright blue, now hung in loose waves around his face and collar. Sexy messy man was how Ava described him best. Baggy jeans that were torn at both knees, and his ever present silver chain hanging around his right hip. Heavy black army boots. No shirt in the sweltering summer heat. Numerous tattoos covering his upper body. The punk jewellery. And the spare cigarette behind one ear.

“Zan…can I take a break?” the girl asked, Zan nodding as he set the gun on the table at his side.

“No worries Lena…ya aiight?”

Lena nodded, her long hair held out the way of her back by a clip. She stood up slowly, and turned towards Zan, a small smile already curling her lips. Her smile faded however, when she saw Zan was already standing, a shirt held open at shoulder level, and a cocky smirk on his face. The shirt blocked her body from view, Lena pouting as she let him slide the sleeves over her arms, leaving her back bare, and the sexy red bra she wore covered.

“Five minutes…ya don’t want da pain settlin in yet.”

Lena nodded again, and pressed her body against Zan’s as she headed for the toilet. Zan rolled his eyes, and turned towards the door, ready for a break himself. He smirked when he saw Kyle, the two guys shaking hands. They headed for the small balcony that over looked the main street, and found Alex asleep in his chair, his glasses folded on the table and his cane standing within reach. Kyle paused when he saw the fatigue on Alex’s face, and motioned to him as the two men sat down.

“How is he today?”

Zan scowled slightly as he lit his cigarette, the silver Zippo in his hands well used. It was scratched and dented, but Zan refused to part with it. It had been the first gift the humans had bought him, and one he treasured above all others.

“Tired…he’s been doin da eye exercisers da doctor suggested to him flat naker lately. Da poor bastard wore himself out. I didn’t have da heart to wake him.”

Kyle sighed softly when he saw the guilt in Zan’s eyes. Reaching out, he grabbed Zan’s clenched fist, and lowered his voice.

“He doesn’t blame you for the fact that he’s blind Zan. If it weren’t for you, Nikolas would have killed him a long time ago. It’s because of you that he’s even alive. We buried a Skin, remember? One who looked like him…we thought we’d buried a friend. Don’t you remember how much hell broke loose the day you rocked up with him?”

Zan continued to scowl. “I’m just da dupe Kyle…if I had half da healin powers king fuck up had, Alex would be able to see. He wouldn’t walk with a limp…it wouldn’t have taken me nearly a year just to bring him out of da damn coma he was in. He wouldn’t be in da constant pain he’s in…I’d be able to help him.”

Kyle smirked. “Alrighty, that’s it. I’m confiscating your Metallica CD’s. You and Michael are exactly the same. When pissed off at Max, you both listen to King Nothing…I thought I recognised the tune when I came in.”

Zan snorted, but looked at Kyle when Kyle grabbed his hand again.

“You might be the dupe as you so cruelly put it…but your more of a man than that ass wipe will ever be. Alex loves you and Ava Zan. And if you don’t snap out of it…. I’ll tell him that you’re blaming yourself again. Remember what happened last time?”

Zan rubbed his jaw in wry memory. “Yeah…he knocked me onto me ass… he asked why it was that I was more like Michael than Max…both of us as stubborn as all get out, and thick headed to boot. I never did get what he meant by that, or how da hell he knew where my damn head was.”

Lena re-entering the room interrupted their conversation, Kyle joining them as he watched Zan continue on with the tattoo. Zan had almost finished the line work, and was putting the finishing touches to it as Kyle watched. A very feminine pink and purple butterfly with its wings out spread, combined with some black swirls finished off the tattoo Lena now sported on her lower back.

Zan made one more pass with the gun, before switching it off, and setting it aside. Wiping her back with an antiseptic towel and spreading some healing cream over the fresh work, Zan covered it with some plastic wrap, and stretched slightly. Lena stood up, admiring the way his chest rippled as he stretched, and the way his jeans rode low on narrow hips.

“Sooo….whatcha doin later on tonight?” she asked, her voice shaking as she tried to sound seductive as she straightened up. Zan smirked, his gaze becoming heavy as he lowered his head slightly. Kyle hid his grin as Lena stepped closer to him, her own gaze becoming wide eyed.

“After workin here all night? What am I doin? Fucken my girlfriend…why?”

Lena blushed scarlet, and stepped away in shock. “Who’s your girlfriend?” she squeaked in surprise.

Zan smirked again, sick to death of being hit on by women who knew exactly whom his girlfriend was. He was tired of the games they played, and the reasons they played them. But this time, with Lena…it felt different, so he lowered his temper, and spoke as plainly as he could.

“Ava…ya know…da chick ya man stares at every time he’s in here. Johnny is ya man ain’t he?”

Lena nodded in humiliation, Zan sighing softly as he leant back against his stool.

“Look Lena …ya sweet aiight? But I don’t step to women who ain’t available, and I don’t step out on Aves…we been together for a long time…I ain’t fucken that up over a piece of ass…no matta how cute that ass is. Aiight? Pass that on to ya friends, coz I’m gettin tired of bein hit on by ‘em. Aves shakes what she’s got on da bar coz it’s her job…but she comes home with me. Ya’ll heard da expression ‘sex sells’? That’s all it is. She ain’t steppin out on me…she ain’t steppin to ya man. So don’t go lowerin ya standards coz he wants into my woman’s pants. Kick his miserable ass to da curb, and get yaself a real man…it just this one ain’t interested. Aiight? We cool?”

Lena nodded, deciding to return to the bar that night to apologise to Ava, and to see the girl in action herself. After that…. it was curb time. She was sick of being treated as an after thought. Looking back up at Zan, she opened her mouth to apologise, but Zan simply waved his hand.

“Don’t aiight? Ya ain’t got nuthin to apologise for. It ain’t ya fault ya man thinks he’s a playah….ya a sexy girl Lena. Ya wanna coffee before ya go? It’ll give ya time to get ya head togethah…”

Lena nodded again, and joined Kyle and Zan at the small table they had just been sitting at. Lena stared at Alex for a moment, and then turned her attention back to Zan.

“How long have you and Ava been together for?” she asked quietly, all traces of the sex kitten she’d been trying to project gone. Zan smiled then, a genuine smile as he leant back against his chair.

“Since we were kids…’bout fourteen or so…so….’bout eleven years.”

Lena blinked in surprise, her cheeks turning a delicate pink. “That long? You’ve only ever been with…no…never mind, it’s none of my business.”

Zan smirked then. “I’ve been with a couple of others…but Aves has only ever been with me. Da last time I stepped out on her was when we were seventeen, and I’ll nevah forget da look on her face when she found out. I hurt her badly, and it took her a long time to forgive me for that…I love her Lena. I know what it looks like when she’s workin…when all da girls are workin. But that’s da way da bar works. If da patrons think they have a chance with da girls, they spend more money…but all da girls here are in relationships except for Lizzie, and she ain’t up on da bar anyways. Get it?”

Lena clapped her hands together in amusement. “Yeah I do actually. It isn’t a secret that this bar is one of the most successful, and it isn’t because of the prices or the fact that it’s got such a great atmosphere…that’s a great way of bringing in the revenue. How cool! Hey listen Zan…are there any jobs going here?”

Kyle grinned then, joining the conversation. “Yeah there is. Why?”

Lena blushed then, and lowered her eyes. “I live with Johnny, and I work at his dad’s office. I know how he treats me…I know he…steps out…to borrow a term, so if I want to…”

“…. Kick his ass to da curb, ya gonna need a new job, and a new place to live right? That’s what da whole sex kitten routine was about before right?” Zan interrupted.

Lena nodded silently, causing Kyle to laugh softly. “Zan has a share in the bar Lena, as do I. But it’s Liz who does the hiring and firing, and you still have to pass muster with Ava if you want a job…if you can’t sing, dance or if you aren’t over twenty one…forget it. It’s not just Zan; even though half the chicks that hit on him, think it is. Those two women run a tight ship…it isn’t us you have to impress…. it’s them.”

Lena nodded again, her eyes down cast. In that moment, she reminded both Kyle and Zan of how Maria had been in that first year, and the two men shared a look. Glancing at his watch, Kyle stood up and walked back inside. Picking up the phone, he rang the house, and sighed softly when a shitty tempered Liz answered the phone after the ninth ring.

“If this isn’t about alien’s landing on earth, or the twelfth apocalypse and the fire breathing horses approaching, ya’d better have a damn good excuse for waking me up Valenti!”

Kyle winced, causing Zan to start laughing as Kyle mumbled an apology, but explained the reason behind his call. Ten minutes later he hung up, his ears red from the blasting Liz had given him, and turned to face the others.

“Liz is getting up…. we’re to meet at our place. That’s all she said…but I think she broke the phone when she hung up on me Zan.”

Zan snorted with laughter again, Lena turning wide eyes to Kyle. “Is it safe to come with you?”

Kyle just sighed softly. “She got drunk this morning after we closed up the bar, that’s why she’s so shitty tempered. Liz is normally a morning person…just not when she’s drunk. It’s then that she’s down right scary…. all five foot nothing of her. And don’t you laugh Zan…she knows you’re with me.”

Zan scowled, and stood up then, his height allowing him to tower over Kyle. “Aiight Buddha Boy…you’ll keep.”

Kyle grinned, and bent down to shake Alex. Alex simply mumbled something under his breath, and closed his eyes tighter. His hand rose to rub at his temple, showing that even in sleep, he was in pain. Kyle scowled slightly, and shook him again, both he and Zan biting their lips in concern when Alex moaned softly, before his eyes fluttered open.

“What…. is that you Zan?” he mumbled hoarsely.

“Nah man…its Kyle. Come on Don McLean…lets go sing us some nasty assed song about pie hey?”

“Mmmkay…coming cricket.”

Zan snorted with laughter at that, and grabbed Alex’s cane and glasses, before he and Kyle helped Alex down the stairs and out the front. After locking up, they set off towards home, Zan and Lena sharing looks of amusement as the other two men sang a slightly off key version of American Pie. When they reached the house they all shared, Lena stopped in surprise, and stared up at the three-story apartment building.

“I’ve heard about this place…it looks like an apartment building outside, but it isn’t on the inside…you guys live here?” she asked in shock.

Zan nodded, and ushered her inside, where he promptly slammed into the slender girl who had stopped short, her mouth once more agape as she stared at her surroundings in complete and utter shock.

“Oh my god…how do ya’ll afford to live here! I mean…this place is the Buckingham palace of freaken Texas! How do ya’ll keep it clean? Hire a fucken army of servants?” she exclaimed.

Zan, Alex and Kyle all started laughing at her shocked statement, which caused Lena to flame red with embarrassment. This only caused them to laugh even harder, bringing Liz out of the dinning room to see what the ruckus was about. Lena could only gape at the shorter girl, her head spinning as she started to gasp for breath. Liz took pity on her flustered state, and walking over, took her by the arm and led her into the dining room.

Pushing the shocked girl into a chair, Liz shoved Lena’s head between her knees, her voice brisk as she instructed the poor girl to take deep breaths. When she was satisfied with Lena’s breathing, Liz gently pushed her backwards in her chair, and peered into her glassy eyes. Liz shook her head with a small smile, and sat down with a gentle grace that was all her own, and the two girls regarded each other silently for a moment. Lena blushed again under Liz’s gentle scrutiny, and spoke softly.

“I’m sorry about that…great way to impress a potential employer,” she mumbled, causing Liz to laugh softly.

“Don’t worry about that…Lena isn’t it?”

Lena nodded, and held her hand out. Liz smiled slightly and the two women shook hands, before Liz sat back again and regarded Lena. The girl was beautiful; there was no doubting that she’d definitely fit in looks wise with the other girls. Large brown eyes, and dark brown hair that swung below her shoulders in what could only be described as beautifully curled confusion. A mouth she knew would sell tequila slammers by the dozen, especially if those lips were the ones holding the lemon and lime wedges. Oh yeah…she’d fit right in.

Lena blushed as Liz’s scrutinizing gaze travelled lower, studying her as if she were a specimen under a microscope. For a girl who was shorter than Liz was, she certainly had legs that were a mile long. Slender waisted. Curved hips. Toned arms, and when Liz finally raised her gaze, a delightful blush staining her cheek that would drive all men wild, reminding them of any first time experiences they had partaken with in youth. Liz couldn’t help it, she started to laugh.

“Oh yeah, they’re gonna love you! Can you sing or dance?”

Lena blushed again, causing Liz to start laughing once more. “Yes…dance I mean. I can’t sing at all…. I tend to sound like a person being tortured. Not nice…I’m liable to drive the patron’s away.”

“Ohhh…I like her! Sassy sista!” a new voice exclaimed, causing Lena to turn around slowly.

Ava was leaning against the door jam, a smirk stretching her lips into a cheeky grin. Lena swallowed hard, and looked Ava over quickly, wondering what it was that had caught and held Zan’s attention for so many years. Curly blonde hair that stood out in a halo around her face and shoulders. And that cheeky grin on her face. She was stunningly beautiful, and as she entered the room to join them, Lena knew she was genuinely nice as well.

Ava curled herself into one of the chairs, and looked Lena over with a frank curiosity, before stating rather bluntly, “I’ll tell ya what…you don’t try da shit ya tried with Zan again, and we’ll get on fine…is that gonna be a problem? Coz I ain’t into sharin, and Zan ain’t lettin me go…so what do ya say Lena? Wanna give it a go?”

There was only one thing she could say, and it bought smiles to all of their faces. “I’m sorry ‘bout that…I’m not really interested in Zan…and as I’m as blunt as you? Hell yeah.”
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 4. Thanks as always for the feedback guys.

Lena stretched slightly as she smiled at her two new friends. Ava excused herself, and wandered out to join Zan, leaving Liz and Lena to talk together. Liz had filled out the appropriate paperwork with her, and had explained the ins and outs of working at the bar. The rules, the regulations, and the expectations that came with working there. The pros and cons. The downsides and the upsides. Lena yawned, and rubbed at her temples. There was so much to learn!

“The bar is our income. It’s what keeps this roof over our heads, and pays the bills. I won’t have any trouble in the bar…not from anyone. If you have a problem, you come to one of us, and we’ll help you sort it out. If you’re having trouble with a patron, tell one of the guys…if you can’t find them, tell Bear, and he’ll escort them to the door.

“Your clothes are provided for, because it’s a look that we are after. I won’t have my girls looking like sluts on the bar, but you want the men to dream, so you up play the fantasy for them. If there is a particular item of clothing you want to wear to the bar, we’ll talk. Ava wanted some leather chaps to go with her jeans, so I ended up buying the girls a pair each. I don’t mind doing that, because it added sex appeal, which raised the roof on drinks for a month…the pants paid for themselves in the end.

“Personal shit stays out of the bar…I won’t have the atmosphere interrupted if you and your boy are having a lover’s spat. All the girls are in serious relationships, but you wouldn’t know it looking at them. We try and get the girls to keep their partners at home, but if they do want to come, the partners are also informed that it’s only a job, and that they are there by invitation only…an invitation that can be revoked at a moment’s notice.

“The hours are long. You start at seven pm on your nights, and you don’t leave until the bar is clean the following day. The hours can suck big time, but the pay is worth it, and the friends you make are important as they keep you grounded on your days off. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are our biggest trade days, so unless you are getting married or attending a funeral, don’t even ask. You get one of those days off a month, and it’s a rotating roster for those days.

“The bar is split-level, as you know. The top half is for private functions, and Zan runs Antarian Ink out of there during the day. I know he just finished your new tatt, so if anyone asks after it, make sure to sell his business as much as you can, without sounding like you are advertising it ok?

“Tips go in the jar behind the bar, and are divvied up at the end of a shift. That money is tax free, and yours to keep. Payday is Wednesday, and the rate varies depending on what day you work. The only difference is, is that your rent will come out of your pay before you even get it. I’ll charge you $100 a week, and that’s for everything…. food, bills and all that other shit that comes with it.

“House wise, the only rules I have are this: don’t bring anyone home here. If you want down time, go to their place. Too many people stare at Alex, and I won’t have him feel uncomfortable in his own home. He’s our main priority at the moment, because he’s been a bit sick lately, so please respect that, and everyone else’s privacy, as we will with you. And that’s it…any questions?”

Now they sat in silence, Liz watching Lena as she chewed her lower lip before voicing her first question.

“Those rules are fine Liz. I agree with them, but I have to ask…. how much training do I get?”

Liz grinned then. “You’ll work behind the bar with me until you are sure of the drinks and prices, and you’ll train with Ava for a full week as well, until you know what she expects of you up on the bar. You won’t go up until you are comfortable. Cool?”

Lena heaved a sigh of relief, causing both girls to start laughing as she blushed. Facing Liz once more, she spoke again.

“How did you come to own…all of this?” she asked, gesturing to the elegant dining room.

Liz sighed sadly. “My grandmother owned this place. She died when I was sixteen, and when I turned eighteen, it was revealed that she had left it to me in her will. She bought it as an apartment building, and had all the renovations done herself. It had been a three-story apartment block, but she had it gutted, and turned into what it is now. It was very risky for her to do, but she stuck to her guns, and turned it into a multi million-dollar property. Do you want the tour?”

“In a minute…what about the bar?”

Liz smirked then, a devilish glint entering her eye. “The six of us came out here straight out of high school. We’d been here a month when Zan started Antarian Ink, and he was running it out of the bar as he is now. His…uncle owned the property, and when Zan asked what he wanted for it, the price was too good to resist. Cal was happy to unload the bar onto us, and we all bought into it. My dad fronted the money for us, and Kyle’s dad fronted the money to turn a rundown bar into what it is now…Vertigo.”

“Why did you name it Vertigo?”

Liz smirked again. “Have you ever felt like you were spiralling out of control? That life was making fun of you, and that there was nothing you could do about it? That’s what our last year at home was like for all of us…hence the name.”

“Who was the sixth person?”

Liz smiled then, a genuine smile that lit up her eyes. “My best friend Maria. She was the original idea’s person behind making Vertigo what it is today. Because of her idea, when we opened Vertigo a year after buying it, it was an instant success. We were able to pay my dad and Jim back within two years…and we owned the bar outright. Never say that Maria Deluca isn’t a smart woman, because she is.”

“Maria…Deluca? You know her!”

“Yep…Ms. Soulful song bird…that’s our Ria. She lives in New York now with her hubby, but she still comes down here every few months. We’re family you see…all that we have left.”

Lena picked up on the underlying sadness in Liz’s words, and stuck out her hand. “How about that tour now?” she asked gently, wanting to change a subject that obviously hurt the small brunette. Liz nodded gratefully, and the two women began the tour, Liz gesturing and talking quietly as they went.

The lower level of the house was open planned. The floors were polished wood that gleamed under the skylights. When standing in the foyer, you could see through the roof three levels up, and the sight was magnificent. This floor housed the kitchen, lounge room, dining room, laundry and guest bathroom and toilet. A wide empty room save for a mirrored wall was the workout studio, where the girls got together to plan dances for the bar.

The second level was also polished floorboards, a theme that had been followed through right throughout the house. The bedrooms on this level were all wide and spacious. Four rooms in total, as well as two separate bathrooms at the end of each large L shape. Another room to the left of the house revealed a pool table, and several electronic game units, Liz explaining about boys and their toys as they walked up the staircase to the third level.

This level revealed another four bedrooms and another two bathrooms, along with a large room that housed a piano and several guitars. Bookshelves lined one wall, and when a large bay window opened, you could see out over the small, yet immaculate back garden. The window housed a wide window seat, and the window ledge was wide enough to almost serve as a small table.

“This is where I write…where Maria used to write her songs…where Zan designs, and Alex dreams. Where Kyle sometimes meditates and where Ava watches the sun rise. This room is probably the most important in the whole house,” Liz revealed softly.

Lena nodded, and studied the room silently. The lighting was beautiful, and the room fairly pulsed with life and creativity. Drifting over to the piano, she ran her finger along the gleaming wood gently, and turned to face Liz when the gentle tapping of a cane echoed along the wooden floors. Liz turned to face the door, her whole face brightening when Alex walked carefully into the room. Lena watched them silently as Alex turned towards Liz, almost as if he had sensed her presence.

“Liz?”

“Yeah Alex…it’s me. Have you met Lena yet?”

Alex shook his head, and held his hand out. Crossing to him quickly, Lena took his hand in her own, and was surprised when Alex squeezed her hand, and ran his thumb over the back over her hand slowly. When he released her hand moments later, Liz was studying him carefully.

“Nice to meet you Lena…she’s going to be a fiery addition to our group Liz…it’ll be fun watching her with Kyle.”

Liz snorted softly. “Yeah, I thought you’d say that…what are you doing now Alex?”

Alex gestured towards the room in general. “Just thinking…it’s her birthday soon.”

Liz’s whole demeanour changed, her shoulders sagging, and her eyes taking on a shadowed look.

“Yeah…I know Alex. Twenty-six this year…same as you. Do you want to talk later?”

Alex shook his head, and walked slowly towards the piano. Sitting down, he rested his cane against the keys, and touched one of the keys gently. He sighed when the pure note rang out, his shoulders sagging slightly as he lowered his head.

“I just want to think is all Liz…remember…I’ll be down for dinner later ok?”

Liz nodded, and with a silent gesture to Lena, they left Alex alone. The silence was broken when Lena asked softly who slept where.

“Zan and Aves are on the second floor next door to Alex, and Kyle and I share this floor. Maria and her husband stay on the second floor in Maria’s old room when they stay here. Where would you prefer to stay…second or third?”

“Ummm…third floor if that’s ok with you guys…which room is which?”

Liz gestured for Lena to follow her down the hallway. Knocking once on a closed door, Liz pushed it open to reveal Kyle’s sanctuary. Lena could only stare in shock. His bed rested against the window, and was neatly made. The room was free of clutter, and the lingering scent of fragrant candles hung in the air. A squat statue of Buddha sat in one corner with a woven grass mat resting under it. Liz gestured to the statue and spoke with a small grin.

“Kyle takes his Buddhism seriously. He meditates daily, and seeks inner peace. It’s good for him…tames his soul I guess.”

Lena nodded, and followed Liz along the corridor to the third room. Pushing it open, Liz stepped inside, Lena immediately knowing this was Liz’s room. It was neat and tidy, with colourful photos decorating the walls and dresser surface. Framed certificates in business and gaming hung on the wall, along with awards for music. Walking closer, Lena gazed up at them in surprise.

“Maria’s won these awards hasn’t she?” she asked quietly.

Liz nodded and reached out to run her finger over the glistening CD that rested in the polished oak frame, along with the front cover of the album. There were three in total, Liz gesturing to each wistfully.

“When Maria won her first award, she had one made for each of us as thanks for pushing her into taking up her music again. When she won her second, she had one made for Alex and I. Same as with her third. She has the originals, but it’s her way of sharing her glory and success with us. So many people think Maria’s a diva, but she hasn’t changed from the girl I grew up with. Maybe older, and definitely slightly jaded, but she’s still the same girl I worked with ten years ago…. who I’ve known for over twenty years.”

Lena picked up a spinning photo tree, and stared at it in wonder. Three silver framed eight by ten frames were suspended within the tree, housing a photo on each side. Lena turned the tree slowly, and examined each photo carefully.

The first was of three little children, Lena guessing them to be in the fifth grade. They were holding hands, all of them wearing large smiles. The second one was of the same trio, aged sixteen. Lena grinned when she recognised Liz, Alex and a pixie-haircut-sporting Maria. They were in the same pose, but in this shot, Alex towered over both girls.

The third was of graduation day, but in this one, Alex was missing, and a younger Kyle stood between Maria and Liz. Sadness was visible in their eyes, even though they smiled for the camera. The fourth was of senior prom, a dolled up Liz and Maria standing with Kyle. As with the previous shot, all three were cloaked in sadness.

Alex appeared in the fifth shot, along with Kyle, Maria and Liz. The four of them were tangled up and asleep in the backyard of this house. Liz and Maria were using Alex’s stomach as a pillow, with Kyle using Maria as a pillow himself. Zan was standing in the background with a hose in his hands and a smirk on his face, the water caught in mid arc, Lena knowing Ava had taken the photo just before it had hit Kyle square in the face.

The last photo was of Ava and Zan. It was a candid shot, showing them curled up together in a hammock in the backyard, Ava asleep on Zan’s chest while he wrapped one of her curls around his finger. It showed serenity on his face that had been missing from his eyes before. Love shone in his eyes, and he was cradling Ava in his arms with a gentleness that belied his rough appearance.

“You guys have known each other for a long time,” Lena stated quietly, setting the photo tree down carefully.

Liz nodded with a far away look in her eyes, and walked out, Lena following her down the hall again towards Kyle’s room. Opening the door, Liz gestured to the room, and spoke softly.

“You can take this room if you want…if you need any help getting your gear, let Zan or Kyle know, and they’ll go with you. I’m going to go and get dinner ready…I’ll see you down at the bar later. It’s Ava’s night off, so you can come with her and see how things are run…dinner’s on the table at 6.30.”

Lena nodded silently, and watched as Liz walked away. There was an underlying sadness to this group, leaving Lena to wonder what had happened in the past to cause them all to be like this. Whatever it was, it had to bad. Maybe they’d tell her in time…but for now…she was finally free. Free of Johnny and his idiotic ideas of how women should act…she was finally safe.
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. All of your questions will be answered in each chapter. I tend not to give anything away, and yes, it drives people nuts! :lol: This will be it for me until my baby is born, so enjoy for now, and thanks again for your continual support and I'm glad you are all enjoying it.

Part 5. ‘I would do anything for love’ ~ Meatloaf.

Zan sat on the kitchen bench and watched as Lena and Ava worked together to get the dishes done. Lena washed, while Ava dried and put away. Ava bent down to put a pot away, Zan tilting his head sideways as he stared at her long legs and her ass, which were encased in a pair of skimpy black shorts. He smirked slightly as he checked his girlfriend out, only to outright grin when Ava twisted from the waist and looked back at him.

“Enjoyin da view from back there Zan?”

Zan made a smooching noise at her, before chuckling softly. Lena turned around and started wiping down the benches, Zan hopping down from his perch when she reached him. He stepped towards Ava silently as she bent down to put the last pot away, crowding in on her as she stood back up. Pressing his body up against hers, he slid his arms around her waist, and nuzzled her bare shoulder.

Lena watched them silently, not wanting to intrude on such an intimate moment. Zan was only wearing his torn jeans again, his upper body and his feet bare. He towered over Ava in height, yet he had curled his body around hers so she didn’t feel intimidated. One arm was wrapped around her waist, and his other hand was running up and down in gentle strokes along her rib cage.

Ava purred softly in his embrace, and rested her head back against his shoulder. Tilting her head slightly, Ava pressed a gentle kiss to the side of Zan’s jaw, and breathed in the heady scent of his skin. Zan sighed softly, and lowered his forehead to her shoulder, her very presence calming him as he shuddered slightly. Ava turned within his embrace, and looked up at him with troubled eyes.

“Ya aiight baby?”

Zan shrugged and let her slip free of his arms, before turning to face Lena who looked away quickly.

“Whatcha doin tonight Lena? Ya wanna go to da bar, or do ya wanna grab ya stuff while Johnny’s not at home?”

Lena sighed softly and lowered her gaze. Ava frowned slightly, and came over to her side. Sliding a gentle arm around Lena’s shoulders, Ava gave her a quick hug.

“Why don’t you and Zan get ya stuff Lena? I’m gonna chill at home tonight with Alex anyways…go get ya stuff, and I’ll help ya set ya room up k?”

Lena nodded again, and walked away to get her shoes. Zan hung back when Ava pinned him in place with a single look, and knew he had some explaining to do.

“It’s Isabel’s birthday in a couple of days…Alex’s been on edge all day, and I heard him up in da music room before. He was tryin to play da piano again.”

Ava sighed heavily, and glanced towards the doorway.

“Aiight…you go with Lena…I’ll deal with Alex.”

Zan raised his eyebrows, and Ava blushed. “Ya know I was da one who got him playin da guitar again…now it’s time to branch out. He’s blind Zan…not dead. He’s just forgotten that…trust me baby…I know what I’m doin.”

Zan nodded, and lowering his head, pressed a soft kiss to her full lips. Ava murmured softly against his mouth, causing Zan to groan softly, and sink further into the kiss. Cradling her head in the palm of his hand, he used his free arm to anchor her body against his, his fingers splayed against the middle of her back.

Sucking her lower lip gently between his, he nipped the fullness softly, and then ran the tip of his tongue over the bite mark. He hissed slightly when the tip of Ava’s tongue touched his, sinking further into her mouth once more. Their tongues met once more, stroking a fire that wanted to burn freely between them. Only Lena coughing softly broke the moment, Zan lingering slightly over Ava’s lips, before letting her go completely.

“Sorry…”

“Don’t Lena. It’s cool aiight? Ya ready to go?” Zan asked without turning, his eyes lingering at Ava’s mouth.

“Yeah…if you are.”

Ava stood up on tiptoe and kissed him gently, before pushing him away. “Go…I’ll see you both in a few hours…Zan…give me those hours ok? Take Kyle’s truck.”

She watched as Zan shoved his socks and shoes on, his body disappearing into a black tee shirt, and then they were gone, leaving her alone to help Alex deal with his grief and pain. Before she could move however, the phone rang, Ava snatching it up and nestling the cordless phone between her cheek and shoulder as she opened the fridge for a can of Coke.

“Yo…talk to me,” she cracked, a smile breaking out over her face when she heard who was on the other end of the phone.

“Still the same cheeky brat I left behind hey?”

“Maria babe! What’s shakin lady lova? How’s that hot man of yours?” Maria started laughing, Ava swinging herself up onto the bench and getting comfortable.

“Lucas is great Aves. I’m doing well too…I’ve decided to take a break for a few weeks, and head down to see everyone. How about you? Zan still as sexy as always?”

“Phfft…ya know it baby doll! So when are ya getting here? Ya gonna sing some at da bar, and shake ya butt for old times sake, or has Lucas put ya on da old ball an’ chain?”

“No! God Aves, I’m married, not dead! And like you can talk! Ms. ‘I’ve been with Zan for over ten years.’ You guys are practically married anyway. When are you two going to make it official?”

Ava snorted. “Zan…married? Me? Married? Ain’t gonna happen lady…I enjoy da sinner’s life too much for dat shit!”

“Riigghtttt…. uh huh…. you are talking to the queen of denial baby! Pull the other leg Ava…it plays jingle bells…so where is everyone tonight?”

“Liz and Kyle are at da bar, Zan’s helpin Lena get her shit together to move in here, and Alex is up in his room, thinkin about Isabel’s upcomin birthday.”

“Shit…is he ok? Wait…whose Lena?”

“Lena’s da new girl who works for us…she’s in a bad situation at home with her soon-to-be ex-boy, and she’s movin in here…she and Kyle are gonna set da place on fire Ria…they just don’t know it yet.”

“Liz and Alex both pick that up?”

“Uh huh…gonna be as funny as all get out…”

“K…now Alex…what the hell’s going on down there Ava?”

“Ya know I was helpin Alex relearn playin da guitar…he’s been sittin at da piano a lot lately, hittin random keys an’ shit. I’m worried Ria…he’s slippin down deep this year…deeper than ever before. I ain’t said nothin to Liz ‘bout it, coz she worries enough for everyone, but he’s even startin to scare Kyle…I heard him up da other night, talkin to himself. He talks to her like she’s still here…like she’s still alive. It’s been goin on for da past few months now.”

Maria sighed deeply, Ava hearing bedsprings creak as Maria stood up. A sudden crash in the background had Ava jumping, and gripping the phone tighter.

“Ria?”

“I’m packing Ava…I’ll be on the first flight I can get. Can you pick me up…and not tell the others I’m coming? Maybe this will help…but in the meantime? Get him to sing…anything…but if it’s one song I know that will help yank him up or drop him to the bottom so he can learn to get back up, is a song by Meatloaf.”

“Meatloaf? What da fuck?”

“This isn’t common knowledge Ava, but he and Isabel slept together on prom night…that song was playing, and I know whenever he’s really bad, he hums it. Get him to sing it…teach him to play it on the piano. Anything. But get him to do it…damn…my poor chickyman…Ava?”

“Yeah Ria?”

“Hold him tight for me ok? Really tight. He pretends he doesn’t need anyone, but he does. He needs to know he’s still loved…that he’s still important.”

“What’s da song?”

“’Anything for love’…Kyle will deny all knowledge, but he has a copy stashed for emergencies in his tranquil sounds CD cover.”

“Ya shittin me!”

“No I’m not…now this is how you’re gonna do it….”

Twenty minutes later Ava sighed heavily, and spoke in a low voice.

“Aiight girl, but it’s your head if he tries rippin mine off…ring me when ya get ya flight info, and I’ll pick ya up at da airport.”

“K…thanks for telling me Aves…I’ll see ya in a day or two.”

“K…latah.”

“Bye.”

Ava hung up the phone thoughtfully, and moved towards the staircase silently. Staring up towards Alex’s room, she could see that his light was on. When they had first moved in together, Maria had taught Ava how to play the piano and the guitar, the two girls playing together frequently as their friendship blossomed and solidified. Now all she had to do was scan the song into her brain, and let the man come to her himself. Walking up the stairs to Kyle’s room, she found the CD, and held her finger over the centre of it. The lyrics and melodies filtered through her mind, causing Ava to sigh heavily when she heard some of the words.

“Damn Alex…I hope Ria’s right,” she muttered, returning the CD to its place and slipping into the music room.

Picking up a blank CD, she transferred the song onto the CD, leaving out the lyrics and piano as Maria had instructed her to do. Placing the CD on the top of the piano, she sat down. Running her fingers over the keys lightly, the gentle tinkle rang out through the silent house, blending with the sounds of the CD, after Ava touched it with her powers. Ava continued to play the song over and over again, nodding her head as she got caught up in the more powerful parts of the song. A simple wave of her hand had the lamps in the room flaring to light, as an hour slipped by quickly.

Kyle and Liz returned from the bar early as Ava continued to get lost within the song. It had been slow enough for them to leave, and after a conversation between them regarding Alex’s earlier mood, they had decided to come home and talk to him. When Kyle heard the music, he stopped Liz from going upstairs with a gentle tug of his hand. Looking up the staircase, Liz smiled as she watched Alex make his way up towards the third floor slowly.

Kicking their shoes off, they followed him at a safe distance. They came to a stop on the second floor when Alex slid down the wall outside the music room, and tilted his head back against the wall. The song had just restarted, and Liz covered her mouth with her hand when Ava hit a wrong key, causing Alex to wince. That continuos mistake had him standing back up, and feeling his way inside the room, Kyle and Liz following him once more.

The song faded out, and Alex spoke quietly, causing Ava to jump. “You’re getting the third part wrong.”

Ava smiled slightly, once more thanking Maria silently, and stood up slowly. “Which part? Can ya show me?”

Alex gestured helplessly with his hands. “I can’t see the keys Ava.”

“Don’t matter none…ya just sit with me, and when I get it wrong, ya tell me, and tell me how it should sound. Ya know ya better at this than me…and I wanna learn this song. Ria said da piano section was one of da easiest to learn, so I wanna get it right for when she comes out next. Can ya help me?”

Alex stared blindly across the room, Ava biting her lip as she waited. Both she and Maria had felt bad for lying to him about this, especially when Ava knew she had deliberately made the same mistake in order to get him up there. It was only when Alex sighed heavily and nodded, that Ava realised she had been holding her breath. Crossing over to him, she took his hand, and led him across the room.

“Hang on…” she said quietly, releasing his hand and grabbing the piano bench. Turning it around length ways, she took his hand again, and told him what she had done, Alex straddling the seat, and leaving enough room for her to sit between his legs. Ava sat back down, and rested her fingers on the keys. She smiled when she felt Alex touch her arms, and then run his hands down until they rested near her hands.

“OK…start again,” he mumbled. Ava nodded, and began the song over once more. Alex closed his eyes, and listened carefully, feeling the tiny tremors as Ava ran her fingers over the keys travel up his hands and along his arms. He didn’t hear Kyle and Liz slip into the room, and sit down by the window, their hands clasped together as they watched him fight his natural urge to sing out loud. He was too lost in his memories and the feelings that the song was evoking within his lonely soul.

“Stop…that’s where you’re getting it wrong. Move three keys to the left with your right hand…that’s the one…and with your left hand, it’s one key over…yeah…try again.”

Ava nodded, and began once more. Alex made her run through it several times, before he finally dropped his hands.

“You got it…I might go to bed now Ava…”

“Do ya know da lyrics to this one Alex? I know most of ‘em, but not all…can ya sing it for me, so I can hear how it sounds?” she interrupted softly.

Alex froze against her body, Ava holding her breath again as he shook slightly. When he finally sagged, Ava knew Maria had been right. Without waiting for confirmation, she began the song over once more, ignoring the tears that threatened when she heard Alex begin to sing ever so quietly behind her. But those tears spilt over when his shaking hands came to rest over hers again, Ava knowing just how much she could help him now.

And I would do anything for love; I’d run right into hell and back
I would do anything for love, I’ll never lie to you and that’s a fact
But I’ll never forget the way you feel right now, oh no, no way
And I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that, hahh...no I won’t do that

Ava smiled and began to nod her head slightly as she continued to play. Her smile grew when she felt Alex skim his hands down over hers so that his fingers rested along hers, allowing him to feel the growing power of the music. She never saw him close his eyes, or the tears that burnt within the closed lids. But she knew Kyle and Liz both could feel the pain within him, now burning brightly for all to feel.

And some days it don’t come easy, and some days it don’t come hard
Some days it don’t come at all, and these are the days that never end
And some nights you’re breathing fire, and some nights you’re carved in ice
Some nights you’re like nothing I’ve ever seen before or will again
And maybe I’m crazy, oh it’s crazy and it’s true
I know you can save me; no one else can save me now but you

Alex began to relax behind her slightly, his voice starting to become more powerful as he sang. By the window, Liz sat with tears streaming down her face, and Kyle continued to blink rapidly. This single act of Ava’s had opened old wounds that had festered for too long…and as the pain mingled within them, and swept away with their tears, they were left feeling the fallout…and the beginning of how to heal together…as a group.

As long as the planets are turning, as long as the stars are burning
As long as your dreams are coming true, you better believe it
That I would do anything for love; oh I would do anything for love
Oh I would do anything for love, but I won't do that...no I won't do that

An image of Isabel’s face flashed behind Alex’s closed eyes, causing his tears to well with more intensity in the sightless depths. In response, his voice rose again slightly in level, Ava not bothering to fight her tears anymore. Alex was the glue that held them all together, and as he began to slowly unravel, she did too, hating her dupe with an intensity that scared her to the very depths of her soul.

I would do anything for love, anything you’ve been dreaming of
But I just won’t do that
I would do anything for love, anything you’ve been dreaming of
But I just won’t do…

The memories continued to play out behind his eyes, Alex watching as Isabel turned to face him in dazzling sunlight, a smile crossing her face, and love shining in her eyes as she held her hands out to him. He reached for her, and swept her into his arms, Isabel’s laughter echoing in his ears as he spun her around, her hair covering both of their faces as she rained kisses down upon his face.

And some days I pray for silence, and some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the God of sex and drums and rock ’n roll
And maybe I’m lonely, that’s all I’m qualified to be
There’s just one and only, one and only promise I can keep

The memory of her asleep in his bed the morning after prom, her hair spread across his pillows. The way her skin had gleamed, and her eyes heavy with sleep and love as she lifted her head to look at him. The scent of her hair had lingered for several days afterwards, and then that scent along with his life was gone…. thanks to Tess. Anger cut a deep path straight through him, and it reflected in his voice when he began to sing at his full potential. His life had been stolen from him…

As long as the wheels are turning, as long as the fires are burning
As long as your prayers are coming true, you better believe it
That I would do anything for love, and you know it’s true and that’s a fact
I would do anything for love, and there’ll never be no turning back
But I’ll never stop dreaming of you every night of my life, no way
And I would do anything for love; oh I would do anything for love
I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that, no no no I won’t do that

Ava swallowed hard, and then raised her own voice in song. She couldn’t sing as well as Maria, but her voice was throaty, all traces of her accent gone as she sang. She had to get through this without choking…but all she wanted to do now was cry. Cry for a love lost to the heavens, and the aftermath that Tess had left in her wake.

Will you raise me up, would you help me down?
Will you get me right out of this godforsaken town?
Will you make it all a little less cold?

The laughter in his voice was apparent, but he continued to sing with her, his eyes opening and sparkling with something that had been long missing ~ purpose.

I can do that, oh oh now I can do that

Ava couldn’t help but grin, and continued on with the song. She could hear his laughter, as well as feel it…it was pure, and it had been missing for far too long now.

Will you cater to every fantasy I’ve got?
Will ya hose me down with holy water, if I get too hot?
Will you take me places I’ve never known?

A gentle squeeze of his thighs along hers told her that Alex knew what she was up too, and that he was ok with it. That he would forgive her if she would forgive him.

Now I can do that, oh oh now, I can do that

That left only one thing to do, and Ava took a deep breath, as she got ready to do her final part. It was a risk…but one she was willing to take.

I know the territory, I’ve been around
It’ll all turn to dust and we’ll all fall down
Sooner or later, you’ll be screwing around

Ava removed her hands out from under Alex’s gently, and watched his face closely as he played out the last few bars on the piano unassisted. The look on his face said it all…he was feeling it. Ava waved her hand over the CD, stopping it in place as the single piano notes rang around them, mingling with his voice.

I won’t do that, no I won’t do that
Anything for love, but I won’t do that.

In the silence that followed, Ava turned within Alex’s arms, and looked up at him silently. His Adam’s apple bobbed several times, and when he spoke, his voice was thick with sadness and loneliness. Grief.

“I just miss her so much Ava…I dream about her all the time now…and it’s like she’s still here…I can feel her all around me …I love her Ava…and I…. I never got to…I just feel like I’m dying inside Ava…God…I love her so much… I never got to tell her that…”

Ava didn’t speak; she just wrapped her arms around him, and rubbed her cheek gently against his. When he lowered his head to her shoulder, his tears wetting her skin, Ava said a second silent thanks to Maria for knowing just how much this song meant to him. There was only one thing she could say, and it was whispered against his head as he cried silently.

“She knew Alex…and I think we both know that she loved ya too.”

A days journey away, in the silence of the night, Isabel sat in the darkness, with tears streaming down her face. Staring up at the night sky, she tilted her head back slightly when a cool breeze brushed an intimate kiss across her skin, causing her to smile slightly. Memories of Alex were keeping her up, as they did every night. Her voice was low when she spoke; her words caught on the breeze and swept away, but she was still left with the depth of emotion that saying that single word always evoked.

“Alex…”
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 6.

Many thanks guys regarding your warm wishes and congrats regarding Isabel's safe arrival. We are both doing well, and she is just beautiful...sigh...a little something as thanks. Love to you all.

The silence of the night was occasionally broken by the rattle of a truck rumbling down the highway, or the chirp of an unidentified creature, but those sounds brought no comfort. Alone with her memories, Isabel waited for the sun to rise, the predawn light sending shadows dancing around her as she sat by the dying fire, her skin pimpled with goose bumps in the cool night breeze. Michael was curled up nearby, his hands serving as a pillow, and his warn denim jacket serving as the only warmth he would allow himself.

Isabel tilted her head back forlornly, and stared up at the unforgiving night sky, dawn still too far away to bring any semblance of warmth to the cold glare of the stars. Somewhere out there, her brother was probably throwing a royal tantrum, wondering how she and Michael had slipped away from his domineering behaviour, and Tess’s triumphant gaze. Fuck him. She hoped he got a headache trying to figure it out.

She never thought she would dislike Max, yet there were moments, on nights like this, when she did. Isabel could pinpoint the precise moment any love she had lingering for Max died. When the love she had for him had started to wither away along with her very soul. His callous behaviour after Alex’s death had only worsened as the months slipped by, until all that was left was the man he was now. Long live King Max.

She could understand and forgive his killing Kivar. The alien had been a tyrant, and the people of Antar had rejoiced when his reign was over, and Max’s was beginning. At the end of the day, it had been Max or Kivar, and Isabel was glad her brother had won. But the cost had been at hers and Michael’s expense. The people had wanted the Royal Four to fall into line, and marry as they once had been.

Max had agreed, he and Tess marrying a few months after landing in this alien land, but both she and Michael had refused. Max had backed off after Isabel had tearfully reminded him of Alex, but that reprieve had only lasted days before her brother had started to try and enforce his will again. Isabel had locked herself in her room for a week after an argument, only to have her brother break her door down, and order her to get over her childish behaviour, and start acting like the princess she was meant to be.

It had been the following day that Tess’s full treachery had come to light, Isabel and Michael listening as she tearfully held her swollen stomach, and had told Max that she hadn’t realised the mind warps would weaken Alex’s mind as much as they had, and that she had panicked when he had died. She had staged his death and mind warped Kyle into helping her, and that it had been Nasado’s plan all along. Kivar’s plan…she had just been a pawn.

Rage like she had never felt before had flowed through Isabel’s veins, and she had raised her hand against Tess in anger, fully intending to kill the blonde where she stood. Her blast had never hit its target, but Max’s fist had. He knocked Isabel to the ground with a thud, her jaw bone cracked and his fist bleeding as he stood before her with anger in his eyes, and his shield humming between him and Tess, holding back both Michael’s rage and Isabel’s disbelief and tears.

His shield had flickered out moments later, and he had stared down at her with horror in his eyes at his behaviour. Michael had already been kneeling by her side, his arm around her shoulder as he helped her into a sitting position. Max had swooped down to heal her, but when Isabel had visibly flinched at his raised hand, he had fled, leaving Michael to try and heal the broken jawbone.

Isabel absently rubbed at her jaw line. Michael had tried, but his healing powers weren’t then what they were now. She kept the dull ache in her jaw a secret, not wanting her brother to feel an ounce of guilt over what Max had done, and what he had been unable to fully or correctly heal. It served as a reminder that Max had fallen from grace in her eyes.

Isabel sighed heavily, and leant her chin on her knees as she waited or the sun to rise. It hadn’t been the only time Max had hit her, but it had been the only time he had looked as if he regretted it. The threats when she and Michael still refused to marry. The pleading, followed by days locked in her room, where Max had forcibly thrown her. Dragged to her room like a naughty child, her hair clenched in his hand, and his palm print standing out in stark relief against her pale cheek.

The beatings Michael tried to hide from her. More severe than Hank had ever dished out; Michael had hardened every time Max had used his powers on him, trying to enforce his will. It only served to heighten Michael’s animosity towards his one time brother and king and to heighten his desire to return home. It bought forth a memory from deep within her, causing tears to once more spring to her eyes, and slip down her cheeks unheeded as she closed her eyes and let the images play out behind closed eyes.

The earth had appeared in the distance, both Isabel and Michael pressing close together at the small window, and gazing towards the floating blue sphere in wonderment. As they drew closer, they could make out the cloud cover, and the immense spance of water that made up the earth’s surface, as well as the landmass. Isabel caught her breath, and groped for Michael’s hand blindly. He squeezed her hand gently in return, and slid his free arm around her shaking shoulders gently as she let out an involuntary sob.

“Oh God…we made it Michael…have you ever seen anything so beautiful in your entire life?”

“No.”

“Me either…oh god…I just want to see Mum and Dad…Kyle…Liz…Maria…visit Alex…what about you? Are you looking forward to seeing Maria again?”

“Kind of.”

“Kind of! She’s your girlfriend Michael!”

“No she isn’t Isabel. She hasn’t been for a long time.”

“What?! But you guys…you know…she would have waited for you Michael…we haven’t been gone that long.”

“Isabel…it feels like it’s only been maybe two years or so…but it’s been nearly eight years. Larek told me of this before we left…he had to ensure we didn’t make the mistake of visiting the wrong people. We’re dead to them Isabel. We have been for a long time now. Maria will have moved on by now…I made sure of that.”

“Eight years…. Michael…it can’t have been…I mean…that’s so long…what do you mean you made sure?”

Michael sighed heavily, and sat back down in his seat. Looking up at Isabel, he spoke slowly.

“The last thing I told Maria before I kissed her goodbye, was that if I wasn’t back after five years, that it either meant I wasn’t coming back or that I was dead. That I didn’t want her waiting for me when I couldn’t guarantee that I would be returning. I wouldn’t do that to her. I loved her too much for that Isabel.”

“Loved?”

“Loved…I’ll always love her Isabel. But being up there? It changed me…it changed us both. And she deserves a guy who can love her with everything he is…I’m just not that guy. Not anymore. Maybe I never was. But I know when I get back…she won’t be mine anymore. And I’m ok with that. Because I’ll always be grateful that I got some time with her…that she got to see me…before it was too late.”

“Being up there”
had changed them all. Michael had retreated behind walls made of ice, that had put Isabel’s icy exterior of the past to shame. The only person he showed any warmth to at all with was herself. Tess’s true nature had emerged, showing her for the manipulative person she was. Isabel shivered at the thought of her one time friend’s cold eyes. No…. Tess was more alien than any of them combined.

And Max…Isabel sighed and lowered her head sadly. What was happening to her brother wasn’t just his fault. It was everyone’s. They had turned away from him when he needed their support, and this was the result. Tess had sunk her claws into him, and fed his insecurities, until his paranoia was all that remained. Max had told her himself that his sleeping with Tess had nothing to do with a mind warp, but his loneliness. And that alone spoke volumes.

He had been alone and in pain over a combination of things. Alex’s death. The final death of his relationship with Liz. He had been so sure that by going to prom with Liz, that they could rekindle any remaining spark to their relationship, and finally put the past behind them. But it hadn’t turned out that way. He had ended up kissing Tess, and Liz had left alone, turning into the embrace of another man. It was then that Tess had put her plan into action. And it had destroyed them all.

Isabel tilted her head back again, her eyes clear and dry for the moment. She had changed too. She didn’t smile so much anymore, and she hadn’t really laughed in a long time, save for yesterday morning. Her memories cloaked her mind no matter which way she turned, Alex’s face haunting her even in sleep. She still blamed herself for his death, but it was in the past, and no matter how much she wished it were different, she couldn’t bring him back, just as Max had been unable too.

It didn’t mean she loved him any less. Quite the opposite – her love for him had developed and matured. No longer magnetism or a crush. A need to feel human. What she felt for the lanky boy now was pure and untainted. She had let him in, and let him see her. She could still remember the look that had crossed his face when she had done that at prom.

“How can you not see what I see? How can you not see that the face everyone else sees is only a part of you? That it’s what’s inside of you that makes you who you are? That you have never been more beautiful to me than you are right now? And it isn’t the dress you are wearing, or the way you have your hair – I can see you…all of you…and I think you are the most amazing thing I have ever seen.”

“Oh Alex…if you saw me now, you would be so ashamed of me,” she whispered sadly. “I left Max alone on a planet full of beings who want to ‘help’ him rule, and in the clutches of a woman who killed you. In her own twisted way, I really do think Tess loves him, but the cost…oh god the cost was you. And it far outweighs anything that Max said or did to me up there.”

“Hello Isabel.”

She looked up slowly, and smiled sadly when she saw his lanky frame unfold as he sat down beside her. Reaching out, she picked his hand up, and laced their fingers together tightly, ignoring the tears that burnt her eyes as they spilt free. He hadn’t changed a bit.

“You’re still not here are you?”

“You know better than that…I’m always with you.”

“But you’re not Alex…not really. You haven’t been for a long time…and I miss you so much.”

“I miss you too.”

“I’ve missed talking to you like this, and being able to see your face…I’m going crazy aren’t I? I never saw you up there, but down here…I see you all the time.”

“No Isabel…you’re not. I told you a long time ago that I’d be there whenever you needed me. That I make up a part of you now. That if you needed me, all you had to do was remember.”

“It was horrible Alex. The land was so cold and alien…all ice and jaggered cliff tops. The castle itself was made of glass and stone…it crept deep within you, and was chilling. And the people…not little grey men like you would believe, but tall beings, with long limbs. They were white…their eyes were the only colourful thing about them…ice blue like Tess’s eyes were. They seemed to glide rather than walk…and they never blinked. Never…Max has changed so much Alex.”

“In what way?”

“He’s cold like the land…like the people. The only thing that ever brought a smile to his face was the thought of Zan’s birth…but he couldn’t survive up there. Tess’s lie to get us up to Antar backfired, and Zan died within months of being born. He was completely human…and it destroyed Max. His skin is paler now…he has no warmth at all. If she had stayed on earth, and not lied about the gestation period, Zan would have been seven now. But she lied…and he died…and so did Max.”

“How did he react?”

“He had her thrown in a prison for the criminally insane just before we left…and he pushed even harder for Michael and I to get together…he needed an heir to the royal throne. When we refused the final time, it was in company…and Larek saw Max for what he is now.”

“And what is he Isabel?”

“A tyrant…but I love him because he is my brother, but I knew if I stayed…if I didn’t ask Michael to come home with me, that they would end up killing each other, and that I would end up alone again. God! How selfish am I Alex?”

Isabel lowered her eyes once more, too afraid to look at her one time lover, and see the condemnation she was sure she would see in his eyes.

“You aren’t selfish Isabel. You’ve grown up…become a woman. And you preserved two lives, instead of just one. You can’t blame yourself for Max…not anymore. Now you need to live…you both do. You’re going to need your strength in the upcoming days Isabel…they’re waiting for you.”

“Who? Alex?”

Isabel looked up, her tears drying as she caught sight of the first rays of dawn spilling over the horizon. Alex was gone, but as she lifted her hand towards her heart, she felt the tingling warmth on her palm where his hand had rested with hers. And the warmth filled her slowly as she remembered his final words to her.

“They’re waiting for you…”
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 7. ‘Lithium’ ~ Nirvana.

Just for you Karen... :lol:

Alex and Liz sat together in her office the following morning, planning and chatting quietly about Alex doing a possible set in the upcoming weeks. They had cried together last night, the sudden storm of emotion taking them all by surprise. Ava had been quite shaken by her part in opening the old wound, but Alex had reassured her that he felt no animosity towards her. Not for her deed or for wearing Tess’s face.

Ava had cried then, one of the very few times any of them could remember her breaking down. She had fallen asleep in Alex’s arms; both of them too overcome by emotional fatigue to do anything but cling to one another. Alex had woken at first light however in his own bed, Ava curled up in his arms, and her head resting on his chest.

He hadn’t known how they had ended up there, but he had known it was Ava for two reasons. The scent of her hair, and the soft snoring that came from near his door, where Zan had slept sitting upright. That had shaken Alex. Not that it was an issue of trust for Zan, because it wasn’t. But in the knowledge that his friend had been worried enough to watch over them, in case either one needed an outlet or an ear.

The ringing of the phone interrupted Alex and Liz, smiles crossing both of their faces when Maria’s loud voice floated through the receiver. Alex sat back in the office as Liz and Maria spoke, only to shake his head when Liz asked him if he wanted to speak to Maria. Taking up his cane, he carefully made his way upstairs, one hand gripping the banister tightly, and the other feeling his way along the smooth floors with his only method of sight. He paused at the second floor and took a deep breath, before proceeding his way up to the music room, where he shut and sealed the door tightly.

Feeling his way along the wall, he sank into the softness of the window seat with a sigh, and tilted his face up. The warm rays of the sun warmed his skin, yet his world remained dark. Only his memories gave him a light in his dim world now, and even those were hazy. The memory of last night’s confessions echoed around him, a ghost of a smile crossing his face as he settled more securely into his seat.

He knew why Ava had pulled the stunt she had. The same as he knew Maria had been the instigator, and that he would no doubt be seeing her later on in the week. It was love. Love and fear for him. He was grateful, but at the same time, he had learnt to keep his friends out of his head, keeping the main portion of anger, guilt and grief buried down deep. There were days when it was all that kept him going. A floorboard creaking alerted him that he was no longer alone in the room, and he turned tired eyes towards the door.

“Zan…what are you doing in here man?”

Zan didn’t question how Alex had known it was him. There was no point. He always knew. Crossing the room, Zan sank down beside Alex, and spoke quietly.

“We’re brothers yeah? You and me?”

Alex’s eyes narrowed, yet he nodded his head and waited patiently. He could hear Zan picking at the hole in his jeans, a sure sign his friend was still unnerved about something. This troubled Alex, as he knew there was very little that ruffled Zan. Reaching out, his hand closed over Zan’s, stilling the other man’s movements. Zan looked up, and stared into eyes that looked straight through him. Eyes that were waiting for an answer.

“Well then, I’d be a seriously fucked up comrade if I didn’t ask ya what was troubling ya now…wanna get da fuck outta here?”

Alex nodded and stood up, his hand automatically finding Zan’s elbow as they started for the door. They made it all the way to the front door before they were sprung, Liz’s voice floating out through her office door as Zan’s hand closed around the door knob.

“Where are you two going?”

“Secret men’s business suga…and as ya ain’t havin da appropriate…anatomy…ya ain’t knowin either…we’ll be back latah k?”

Liz’s laughter followed them out the door, Zan smirking when he felt the slight tightening of Alex’s hand at his elbow.

“Woman hey man? They gotta know…”

“Fuckin everythin,” Alex finished dryly, Zan’s soft snort of laughter causing his own face to break out into a smile.

“What do ya think she’d say if I started callin her mama?” Zan cracked softly, only to laugh out right when Alex stopped still and grinned, the look on his face down right cheeky.

“Don’t even get me started Alex…my ears are still ringin from da last blastin they got when she over heard us shit stirrin her. Now…where ya wanna go?”

“Anywhere but here Zan…”

“Aiighty man…anywhere comin right up.”

Alex heard a door creak open, and reached out. His hand encountered the opening of the Bronco door, and he couldn’t help but grin as Zan simply left him alone as Alex hoisted himself into the cabin of the truck. His door slammed shut, Alex’s sharp hearing letting him know Zan was walking around the front of the truck so he could climb in his own side. Sure enough an echoing slam sounded moments later, followed by the powerful engine starting.

Zan shifted the truck into reverse and backed out of the driveway, Alex feeling his friend’s presence as Zan held onto the seat head as he watched where he was going through the rear window. As Zan shifted into drive, Alex wound his window down and sighed softly, the wind starting to pick up and ruffle his hair as Zan took off down the road, the truck slowly gaining speed as they searched for ‘anywhere.’

Alex lent his head back against his seat and closed his eyes. He let his mind form a picture of Zan as he had once seen him. His fallen angel…not that he’d call Zan that out loud…it would embarrass them both. The sudden blast of music had Alex jumping slightly in his seat, but he nodded his head at Zan’s choice, his fingers beginning to tap out a static rhythm on his leg as Zan began singing along. The lyrics blended slowly, and Alex unwittingly returned to the day Zan and Ava had saved his life….

His back ached from being forced to sit for so long. The straight back chair’s rails dug into his spine, yet he was unable to move. The wire twine had long ago cut into his wrists where they were bound to the arms of the chair, and the dried blood caked his skin. Yet he didn’t feel the pain any longer…he didn’t feel much of anything.

I'm so happy 'cause today
I found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay
Cause so are you

Memories of Isabel, Liz and Maria were beginning to leave him. He didn’t understand why he was still here. He had decoded the book…what was the book for again? He couldn’t understand why Isabel was letting them hurt him still…when had she joined forces with Nikolas and when had she and Michael hooked up? ‘Have I done something wrong?’ That was the only pain he felt… the pain in his heart from Isabel’s deception…every kiss she shared with Michael in front of him…every touch…’Huh? What’s going on?’

Broke our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care
And I'm not scared
Light my candles
In a daze cause I found God

‘Why are they freaking out? Why was Nikolas screaming for Lonnie…who is Lonnie?…to go? Go where? Where is here anyway? What’s that noise? Is that screaming? Was that a gun? Who has a gun? Why are they shooting it in here? Is this the end? The end of what? Why can’t I remember? Max? When the hell did you go all…freaky looking? Why do you have Tess with you? It’s her fault I’m here! No! Get away from me you bitch! It’s a trick! You aren’t here to help me…it’s a trick…’

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

‘I won’t fall for this…why are you mind warping them? How can you mind warp with your eyes open? Why does Max have his eyes shut? I’ve got to admit…its kind of funny watching Michael and Isabel look for you guys…but why are they calling you Zan, Max? Zan’s dead…I’m dead…are you dead too Tess? Did I die, and go to hell? Is that why you’re here? To remind me of what you took from me? What did I do that was so bad, that I’m stuck here…I just want to go home…’

I'm so lonely
That's okay I shaved my head
And I'm not sad
And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard
But I'm not sure
I'm so excited; I can't wait to meet you there
But I don't care
I'm so horny but that's okay
My will is good

‘Why is Max holding a gun? Why can I see you guys, but they can’t? Hang on…you aren’t Tess…Ava? Look out! Why can’t you hear me! I’m screaming here you punked out space cadet! Listen to me! Why did I just call you that? What the hell is mind warping? I’m going crazy aren’t I? Look out! Oh my god…that is one big assed knife…oh god…you just…ok…. definitely not Tess…I almost feel for you man…I know how it feels to be kicked there…I can’t imagine the pain it would cause having that knife…. ohhhh…. sadistic woman…I think I love you….’

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

‘Hehe…writher on the ground like the bitch you are Nikolas…hehe…now that’s my type of woman…that had to hurt you son of a bitch…those boots look heavy…hehe…go Ava, go Ava, go Ava…. hehe…kick him again! Awww…. spoil my fun…you had to up and die didn’t you asshole…God…. when did I become such a sadist?’

I like it - I'm not gonna crack
I miss you - I'm not gonna crack
I love you - I'm not gonna crack
I kill you - I'm not gonna crack

‘What’s Max doing? How come you called him…Rath…he’s Michael, not…Jesus Christ Max! You just shot Michael! How could you do that? Maria will never forgive…hang on…when did you learn to blast like that? Why is Isabel still calling you Zan? I’m going insane… Oh my god…you aren’t Max…who is Max anyway? Why did Michael just explode into a ball of flame…my god that smells bad! Ohhh…I’m going to be sick…Isabel can see you now…’

‘Why are you calling her Lonnie? She looks just like Isabel…oh…I remember you now…Opie hey? I can see the differences now…Isabel would never beg like that…she’d die like the ice queen she is…silently and defiantly…my beautiful girl…how dare you wear her face...change…change…I remember you now…Lonnie…Valandra…not my Isabel…. I can’t watch this…close my eyes…oh god…you really shot her…no…. I’m not opening my eyes now…. my god…you look just like him…the same eyes…no…colder…’

I'm so happy 'cause today
I found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay
Cause so are you

‘I can hear more skins coming…look out…ohhh…Kyle would be preaching about the beauty of your fighting right now…the fluid grace of it…quoting Buddha and all of that…who is Kyle? Is he my friend? I think he is…football? Basketball…Captain Kyle…his daddy is the sheriff…he used to scare me…’

Broke our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care
And I'm not scared
Light my candles
In a daze cause I found god

‘I feel like I’m watching a Matrix movie…Ava is just as deceptive as Tess…I thought she was as gentle as a kitten when I met her…but she’s tougher than Isabel…but then you grew up on the streets didn’t you? How do I know this? Slide around in a full circle on your knees…point a gun…hit your target every time…bang bang, your dead…I don’t know who is scarier…you with a gun, or Ava with a knife…ok…you with a knife and a gun is one scary assed package…’

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

‘Go team go…look at that…you killed them all…ouch! Watch the hands man, they don’t have any feeling right now! How long have I been here for? A long time…I don’t remember…HEY! Don’t pat my face like that…I’m not a dog! Oh…sorry…you’re trying to get me to wake up right? Sorry…Zan…. isn’t going to happen. Nikolas put the whammy on me.’

‘Well duh! Obviously I can’t talk numb nuts! I know how to, I just can’t remember how…no…if you take this thing off, I’m gonna go away…Nikolas made sure to have a back up plan…I heard them talking..…No…no…’

“Yo Alex, where ya at man?”

Alex blinked as he snapped out of his memories, his voice showing signs of strain when he spoke.

“I’m just thinking Zan. I’m ok.”

“Whatcha thinkin ‘bout?”

“The day we met.”

Zan sighed softly, and reached out to grip Alex’s knee tightly. When he spoke, his voice was low, yet it rung with the truth.

“Ya remember don’tcha? What I did that day…to Lonnie and Rath?”

Alex nodded slowly. “I remember…you had mind warped Rath, and one second he was alone, the next he was facing you, with the barrel of a gun right between his eyes. You gave him a moment to realise who was going to kill him, and then you pulled the trigger. He hadn’t even hit the ground he simply…disintegrated…it was pretty gross Zan…the smell I mean…and watching Ava fight…jesus…I’m glad she’s on my side…I think she put Nicolas’s stomach through his back when she kicked him…and the knife…”

Zan snorted softly, and nodded. “She knows how to fight dirty our Aves does hey?” Alex smiled slightly and continued to speak quietly.

“Then you turned on your sister…did you know I thought it was Isabel and Michael? She made herself look like Isabel…it’s how they got to me in the first place…after Tess’s mind warp wore off, and I woke up, she was lying by my side, and I thought it was her…I’m glad she was wearing her own face when she died Zan…that she didn’t look like Isabel.”

“I thought I’d killed ya when I took da contraption off ya head…da one that kept ya a veggie…ya just slumped…kinda went to mush in da chair…I could see ya were tryin to talk to me…to Aves…she’d gotten da wires off ya wrists, and was holdin ya up, and then ya kinda…died…I guess…Alex?”

Zan glanced at Alex out of the corner of his eye, and watched as his friend turned blind yet knowing eyes towards him.

“Yeah man?”

“I’m sorry I can’t help ya any more than I have…that I can’t help ya to see…”

Alex snorted softly, and turned his gaze towards the front of the truck.

“It isn’t your fault Zan…the doctors have already said there is nothing wrong with my eyes…they think it’s psychological…kind of like I’ve seen something I shouldn’t have, and this is my mind’s way of blocking it out…keeping me from remembering what it was. That it was something so horrible, that I’m not able to recall it…I dunno man. All I do know is this – I could see…now I can’t. That thing Nikolas had on my head paralysed me, and sent me blind…that isn’t your fault.

You saved my life…you gave it back to me when Tess had stolen it. I know how long it took you to bring me out of the hole I was in…I never told the others this Zan, but I could hear everything. I just couldn’t speak…I couldn’t make my presence known. I could still see for a bit back then. I watched your face loom over mine every day, and I watched as you pushed yourself to collapsing as you tried to heal me. Every day for a whole year Zan…the further out of the hole I came, the less I could see. Then the day the light went out for me, I was able to say Liz’s name. I would rather be blind Zan and able to live, than to see and be as good as dead anyway.”

Alex looked over at Zan and when he spoke again, it showed Zan the faith Alex had in him, and the strength of their friendship.

“I can sort of see now Zan…not images…but feelings. Auras if you like. When I look at you, I can’t see your face, but I know it’s you all the same. I can tell where you are…and how you are feeling. Do you know why I trust you so much? Because when I look at you, I see the love you have for Liz, Kyle, Maria and myself. The trust you have…and at the end of the day man? I trust you with my life…I’d put my life in your hands in a heartbeat…because I know you would die to protect us.

“Don’t think you aren’t good enough for us Zan…because sometimes bro? We aren’t good enough for you. But we’re family…and at the end of the day? That means more than being able to see…I’m here because of you…and for that alone, you will always have my loyalty…my trust…my respect…and my friendship. You are the man Zan…don’t you forget it…coz I sure in hell won’t.”
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 8.

For Lisa and Nat. Y’all rock in so many ways, that I don’t know where to start. Thank you both for everything you have done for me this past seven months. And to everyone else, thank you so much for your patience and kindness during my time away. Love to you all.

“We are now approaching George Bush Intercontinental airport. Please make sure your tray table are in their up right position, and your seat belts are secure. Thank you for flying with us, and we hope you enjoyed your flight. Have a nice day now.”

Maria tugged her hat lower over her eyes and clutched her glasses tightly in her hand as she felt the plane begin its decent towards the ground. Her stomach rose up into her throat, and she swallowed hard as nausea made her stomach roll violently.

“Damn I hate to fly” she muttered softly, and closed her eyes she gripped the arms of her chair as the plane swooped down and landed with a thud. She muttered a soft curse, and swallowed once more. She stayed in her seat as passengers began to file off the plane, and spent that time making sure her honey curls were tucked up under her cowboy hat, before slipping on large glasses that covered half her face.

She waited until the plane was nearly empty before she stood up and stepped off of the plane. Disguise firmly in place, she walked quickly towards the luggage carousel to collect her bags. The airport was busy, Maria keeping her eyes trained firmly on the ground as she quickened her step. Within fifteen minutes, she had her bags in hand, and was stepping out into the sweltering heat of Houston.

"So far, so good" she muttered softly, her eyes darting left and right as she waited for Ava to pick her up.

While she was glad that her singing career was firmly on track, she was still wary of the paparazzi, and all the trouble that came with them. In New York, they waited outside of her home, and hid in her garage and went through her trash, looking for any information on her past. That was something that they never found. They knew she was from Roswell, but that was all. She was good at covering her tracks, and with Jim’s help, had buried most of her past.

Glancing at her watch, she sighed softly, and scanned the curb once more for any sign of Ava. She heard the honk of a horn, and glanced over her shoulder. It was with a sigh of relief that she saw Ava's cheeky grin flash. Lifting her bags, Maria headed for the truck, and threw her bags into the back of it. Climbing into the cabin of the truck, Maria slammed her door shut and looked at Ava with a grimace.

"I forgot how hot it gets here in summer,” she said by way of greeting as she removed her hat and tossed it on the floor between her feet.

Ava clucked sympathetically, and slid the truck into gear. Maria dramatically braced herself against the dashboard, causing Ava to level her with a look. Ava gave soft laugh as she took off out of the car park at neck breaking speed. Ava sang off key as she drove, her fingers tapping the steering wheel, and her blonde curls bouncing as she nodded her head in time with the music. The familiarity of Ava's boundless energy had Maria relaxing and closing her eyes with a sigh. Ava glanced at her, and spoke quietly.

"Talk to me Ria. What's troublin ya now?"

Maria opened her eyes and glanced over at Ava, once more taking the petite blonde in. She shared a bond with Ava, one that had been unexpected, and at the start? Unwelcome. But Maria had seen the goodness with in the troubled alien, and Liz had trusted her without question. So Maria had lowered her guard sightly, and that was all that Ava needed to crawl into Maria heart, and gain her loyalty. That and what was troubling her now.

"How's Alex Ava? I mean...what happened the other night?"

Ava sighed and glanced at Maria quickly.

"He broke Ria. Broke completely. He cried himself to sleep in my arms, and he disappeared this morning with Zan. He's so tied up inside, full of anguish and rage. He loves her ya know?"

"Who? Isabel?"

"Yeah...he misses her so much. He told me he loved her. Ya shoulda heard him sing Maria...god...I hate Tess for what she did. Not only to him, but to all of ya."

Maria glanced over at Ava in surprise, and watched as Ava’s jaw clenched in barely controlled fury. Maria reached out to touch Ava, and was surprised when Ava recoiled slightly.

“Don’t Ria. Don’t touch me. Not now. I’m too angry. Da bitch shares da same DNA as me. She looks like me…she sounds like me. How da fuck can ya even look at me?” Ava’s voice broke, and she started to slow down, her eyes blinded with unexpected tears.

Maria sighed, and reaching over, gently steered them off of the road and onto the shoulder of a sweeping bend. Ava let her hands slip from the wheel, her head falling back against the seat with a thud as she closed her eyes and scrubbed at them with the heels of her hands. Maria watched Ava try to compose herself for a moment, before she slipped across the bench seat, and pulled Ava gently into her arms.

Ava sighed as she rested her head against Maria’s shoulder, and closed her eyes again as a shudder swept through her body. She felt Maria run one hand down over her back, while the other rested against the back of her head. They sat in silence for a long moment, and when Maria finally spoke, her voice was hushed.

“Do you remember the first day you and Zan arrived in town? It was late, and you parked at the back of the Crashdown to keep your arrival hidden. Liz opened the back door once we had closed to put the rubbish out, and you called her name and stepped out of the shadows. It was the sound of breaking glass that bought Kyle and me running, and we could only stare at you as you stood under the streetlight.

“You looked terrified Ava. You hadn’t really changed all that much. Your hair was longer, but it still had the pink streaks in it. The black was gone though. You looked like a little raga muffin. Torn jeans, those clodhoppers you wear, and this tiny little black top. You had bruises on your arms, and your lip was split, and you were shaking in the cold. But you never lowered your eyes…not once.

“Kyle raised his voice, and stepped forward, and it was then and only then that Zan stepped forward, and it became obvious who you were…and who you weren’t. Liz was staring at Zan as if she had seen a ghost, which in a way, she had. Her heart was in her eyes and you saw it, because you spoke quietly, and told her who you were…just incase. That you needed our help. You knew the others were gone…you told us later that Nikolas had admitted it to you before you killed him.

“Kyle wasn’t having a bar of it though. ‘Why the hell would we want to help aliens who look like those who hurt us the most?’ Zan stepped away then and opened the car door, and when the light went on Ava? We could see Alex. Alive. Liz and me started crying, and Kyle charged over to make sure, and when he was? He cried too. And at that point, we had no choice but to trust you. The months went by, and we watched as Zan tried to save Alex. Day after day. And he succeeded.

“So yes. You look like Tess. You sure as hell don’t sound like her though. And you are nothing like her. You are good and kind and loving. You bought Alex back to us, not even knowing how much that would heal us all. Not even knowing if you could save him. You could have left him to die Ava. You could have left him in that warehouse and disappeared with Zan. But you didn’t.

“You recognised him. You remembered his face. And you bought him home, all the way from New York. We thought he was dead Ava. Had done for nearly six months. Michael, Isabel, Max and Tess were gone. It was only the three of us, surrounded by memories and ghosts. And here we were, faced with the past. Faced with the horror of what had happened to Alex. And you still could have gone then. But you didn’t.

“You stayed. You helped heal Alex. And while healing him, helped us all plan on what to do. We couldn’t tell anyone but Jim. It was Zan who contacted Cal. Cal who got us the bar at such a great price. So it’s because of you guys that we have Alex back. That we have the bar. The bar, which launched my singing career.

“So I don’t want to hear anymore of that shit come out of your mouth Ava. Tess is a demon spawn hell dog, who if I ever see again, I will personally tear each and every one of those blonde curls out of her head. You on the other hand? You are my best friend. You and Liz are the only women I trust in life Ava. And I love you like I love Liz.”

Ava was quiet for a moment, and then her voice reached Maria’s ears, her statement causing Maria to burst out laughing.

“Cornball much? Are we havin a hallmark moment?”

Ava pulled back and wiped her eyes, the laughter between them dying down. When she spoke her voice was soft, and it trembled slightly.

“I ain’t ever had friends before y’all came into my life. Zan aside. He and me had our own shit to sort out. And I used to watch you and Liz together. I was so jealous Maria. Y’all were so in sync with each other; it was like ya could communicate without words. I’d go to bed at night, and pray that I’d one day know what it was like to have friends like that. Put it this way…do ya remember this?”

Ava gripped Maria’ hand with in her own, and closed her eyes, Maria smiling as the memory played out behind her eyes.

“How do I look Maria?”

Maria sighed as she watched Liz slick some pale pink lip gloss onto her lips and fluff her hair out as they stood outside the front of Michael’s old apartment, where Zan and Ava were staying with Alex.

“Liz…this is a monumentally bad idea babe. That’s Zan in there…not Max. Max chose Tess chica…they left the planet remember?”

Liz’s face crumpled slightly. “But he looks just like Max Maria. I have to know…I have to know if we share the same connection.”

“He’s with Ava Liz. It’s obvious how much he loves her.”

“What? Do you think he’s following destiny too?”

“I don’t think destiny has anything to do with it Liz. Why don’t you talk to Ava?”

“I…I don’t know what to say to her Maria.”

“Start with the fact that you think you are in love with her boyfriend because he reminds you of Max.”

Liz’s eyes filled with tears again, causing Maria to sigh and pull her into her arms.

“You don’t know how I feel Maria. I loved Max…and he left me.”

“Yeah? Well I loved Michael. He took my virginity Liz, and left me too. Believe me babe, I know how you feel. Look…just talk to Ava Liz.”

“Ok.”

Liz reached out and opened the door, only to freeze in place when she looked within the dimly lit apartment. Zan and Ava were standing toe to toe arguing, to angry at each other to realise they had an audience. Ava jabbed Zan in the chest with her finger, her cheeks flushed with anger.

“Ya fucken lied to me Zan! Ya tell me ya love me, yet ya fucken lied to me for months man! Ya were cheatin on me to push me away? Bullshit! Ya were out on da prowl, getting laid and then comin home and expectin me to put out too!”

“I had to keep ya safe Aves! I had no choice! It was either that, or…”

“Or what! Trusting me maybe! I woulda helped ya Zan, but noooo…ya had to go all noble and shit! Well fuck ya! I’m done. I’m goin back to New York. YOU can fucken well rot! Go tap some other booty, coz this one ain’t interested…or should I go fuck some stud hey?”

“Over my dead body!” Zan roared.

Ava exploded, her hand flipping out to slap his face, but Zan caught her wrist in his hand and yanked her into his arms. Ava fought him, even as he picked her bodily up off the ground and walked a few steps forwards, allowing him to slam her non too gently up against the wall by the kitchen table. One hand bracketed her wrists and dragged them up over her head, pinning them against the wall, his free arm anchored around her waist tightly.

Ava hissed and stared up at him, tears starting to fill her eyes. The anger seemed to drain out of Zan’s body, his hand gently relaxing the grip he had on her wrists. When he released her wrists, he slid that hand to her cheek, forcing her to tilt her chin up and look at him.

“I love ya Aves…can’t we just leave da past in da past, and concentrate on da future? Ya all I want…ya all I ever wanted.”

Ava bit her lip even as one tear slipped free, Zan gently wiping it away with the pad of his finger. His fingertips gently traced her cheek, feathering down over her jaw and tilting her face back up when she lowered her eyes.

“I love ya…I always have Aves.”

Even as doubt flickered with in her eyes, Zan bought her closer to him and dropped his head down to kiss her. Ava held herself ridged for a moment, but then with a small sob, wound her arms around his neck, and let him drag her under into a storm of emotion. Zan snarled softly against her mouth, and yanking her back into his arms turned them as one, and lifted her into his arms. His free arms swept out over the table, sweeping its surface clear as he sat her on the edge and pulled her closer. It was only when he dragged his tee shirt over the back of his head and dropped at his feet that Liz burst into tears and Maria found her voice.

“Jesus man! Even with the tire tracks, you are ripped!”

Maria started laughing as Ava let her hand go, the memory fading away slowly as the two girls faced each other. Ava sighed softly.

“I didn’t have to pray after that…I guess what I’m sayin is this. I love ya Maria. Even with ya diva attitude. And I’ve really missed ya.”

Maria smiled and raised one eyebrow.

“Cornball much? Are we havin a hallmark moment?”

Laughter filled the cabin of the truck again, and swirled around then as Ava started the engine and headed towards home. Their laughter filled the house and echoed late into the night, it’s occupant’s unaware that their lives were about to be turned upside down once more.
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 9.

For all y’all ladies who love the sexiness that is Michael over at P.A. Y’all made me feel really welcome, and for that I thank y’all. And Sel? I know you're lurking babe…;) Have I convinced you yet? One more thing: Pooh ~ Hugs babe. Told you I’d get it up for you…. eventually….;) And your piglet sends you a smooch.

Also guys, thanks for your patience and I’m sorry for any boo boo’s. I just wanted to get this one up, so it hasn’t been beta’d ok? Cheers.

Lena watched the last of the patrons slip through the door, and sighed softly. She rested her head against the wall, her eyes sliding shut as she let the pain in her feet slip through fully, and her ears adjust to the stillness now that the music was turned down. Gentle hands gripped her upper arms, and led her forward, Lena opening her eyes enough to see that it was Kyle who was leading her towards a table. She sat down with a soft moan, and let her body slump as she leant forward and rested her head on the tabletop.

“Ya ok Lena?” she heard Ava ask, and numbly shook her head.

Ava laughed softly, and sat down beside the tired girl. “It gets easier babe. Da lateness of da nights, da music, da noise. Da pace. Da guys hittin’ on ya, and da girls glarin’ at you. Ya learn to ignore it.”

Lena raised her head and looked at Ava. “I’m that damn tired, that I could honestly curl up on this seat, and never move again.”

Ava smiled sympathetically, and rested her hand gently over Lena’s. “Ya wanna know a secret?” she said quietly.

Lena nodded, Ava leaning forward slightly. “I still get tired, and I’ve been doing this for nearly seven years now.”

“Seven years?”

“Uh huh. Da gang picked up and shot through from home a few days after graduation when they were all eighteen. It took us a year to get da bar up and runnin, and here we are…and my feet still kill at da end of da night.”

Lena smirked then. “You only have to look at the shoes you are wearing to understand why Ava” she teased gently.

Ava looked down at her shoes and then grinned. Holding her foot out, she admired the boots she was wearing, and flexed her foot. The toes were pointed, the heels six inches long, and the maroon leather slightly worn. But they had been the first pair of boots she had bought with her pay, and they looked damn good on her. And when she told Lena that, the two girls started laughing, before settling down to discuss boots vs. high heels in good humor.

Over at the bar, Zan heaved a rack of glasses out of the dishwasher, and began putting them away as Kyle loaded up the next rack. They watched Lena and Ava together in silence, Zan wisely hiding his smirk and the comment he had on the tip of his tongue when he saw Kyle’s gaze lingering on Lena. His face was sober when Kyle glanced over at him, but the two men knew each other too well not to know when the other was hiding something.

“What?” Kyle asked softly, his wary gaze flittering over to the two girls.

Zan smirked, but shrugged his shoulders. “What what?” he asked, the lights in his eyes dancing with cheekiness.

Kyle rolled his eyes, and went back to loading the dirty glasses. Zan kept quiet, and bided his time, Kyle finally throwing down the rag he was using in one hand, and turned to face his friend.

“OK you asshat…what’s so bloody funny?”

Zan snorted. “Nothin’ cricket.”

“Bullshit man. You’ve been throwing me looks all night. Spill your guts.”

Zan rolled his eyes with a dramatic sigh, and turned to face his friend. “Ya loosin’ it dude. I dunno what da hell ya on ‘bout.”

“Uh huh…you are so full of shit Zan, that it is quite literally dripping down your face. What?”

Zan sighed, and looked Kyle straight in the eye. “Take a picture man. Coz da way ya starin’ at Lena, ya gonna bore holes in da side of her face.”

Kyle was mortified to feel his face flush, and abruptly turned away. Zan frowned at his friend’s unusual response, and reached out to clamp a gentle hand on Kyle’s shoulder.

“Kyle? I’m just shit stirrin’ man. Ya aiight?”

Kyle gave a jerky shrug of his shoulders, and lifted the heavy rack of dishes into the dishwasher. As he placed the dish washing powder into the machine he spoke, his voice quiet yet ringing with truth.

“She’s beautiful, there is no doubt there Zan. But the last girl I liked who was beautiful, turned out to be a psychopath, who tried murdering one of my best friends, and who has probably killed the other half of my friends. Yeah, so OK, I never got along with Max, but they got a raw deal there man. Add in that Lena’s just come out of a relationship, and I’m not going there. Can we just leave it alone?”

Zan nodded, and turned back to finish putting the glasses away. It was only when he went to go upstairs to prepare his inks for that day’s wok that he spoke again.

“I’m sorry man. I never meant to hurt ya feelin’s or none. I’ll keep this between us kay?”

Kyle glanced at Zan and nodded, his eyes showing Zan that he wasn’t angry or hurt, but that he appreciated the apology all the same. Zan smirked, and nodded, before continuing towards the second level, knowing that Alex was already up there, sitting at the table on the balcony, waiting for the first rays of dawn to warm his face. Ava winked at Lena and followed her man, Lena leaving her table and heading over to join Liz and Maria. Maria glanced at Lean as she slumped down in her seat, and gave a sympathetic cluck.

“Go home honey! Get some shuteye! The first shift is always a headache. We’ve just got to balance the money and then lock up ok?”

Lena glanced at Liz hopefully, and smiled in relief when Liz nodded in agreement. She stood up and waved goodbye to Kyle as she headed for the door, the group calling out goodnight as the doors shut behind her with a soft click. Maria turned back to Liz, and rested her hand over Liz’s.

“So what do you think of her Liz?” she asked softly.

Liz shrugged. “Alex said that still waters run deep Maria. She’s been badly hurt by this Johnny, but she has a good heart. A pure heart. Kyle’s hesitant, but there is an attraction between them. He won’t stay hesitant. They will help each other heal. She’ll help him move on from Tess’s treachery, and he’ll help her laugh again. It sort of reminds me of how it is between Zan and Ava.”

“What? Smoking hot?” Maria cracked, the three friends laughing softly as Kyle came over to join them.

“What’s so funny?” Kyle asked, Maria snorting as they shook their heads in reply.

They were saved from answering when Kyle demanded an answer however, when the front door creaked open, their gazes turning towards the door as one…

Earlier….

The bike rolled to a stop, Michael putting the kickstand with a groan as he turned the bike off. Tugging his helmet off, he twisted slightly to look at Isabel, whose fear was palpable.

“Is this the place?” he asked gruffly.

Isabel managed to nod, her eyes trained on the wide glass doors. She jumped when Michael touched her, turning frightened eyes towards him.

“What if they hate us Michael? What if they don’t want us there?” she whispered.

Michael shrugged. “I don’t know Isabel. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t know if they will be the same or different. I do know that there is only one way to find out.”

Isabel could only nod, Michael scowling slightly as he stretched. His body was cramped, and he was tired. All he wanted to do was get it over with, so he could get some sleep. Holding his hand out to Isabel, he helped her off the bike, and steadied her as she swayed slightly on her feet. When she was finally steady, they walked to the curb, only to stop when Isabel froze again.

“Michael…”

He turned to face her, and took both of her hand within his.

“No matter what…we’ll always have each other” he muttered softly, Isabel nodding in relief as she let him tug her gently across the road.

They stood out side the darkened bar together silently, and stared through the windows in silence, taking in their first glimpses of their friends in a long time. At the closeness the three shared. And it was with a deep breath that Michael stepped over to the door and pushed it open, gently tugging Isabel inside after him.

Time slowed to a crawl as Michael watched Kyle, Liz and Maria turn to face them, the happiness on their faces fading to shock as they stared at each other across the room. It was only when Maria turned white and her eyes rolled back in her head that time snapped back for Michael, and he watched as Maria fainted, sliding non-too gracefully from her chair, and hitting the floor with a thud, that snapped them all back into focus. But it was their reaction that shocked him the most.

“You’re dead! He fucking killed you!” Kyle cried, as he scrambled from his chair, his hand held out in anger as Liz slid from her seat to the floor and gathered the prone Maria into her arms. Maria moaned, opened her eyes, and looked up at Michael, her eyes filling with tears as she began to sob.

“What? What the hell are you talking about Valenti?” Michael asked in confusion, Isabel whimpering slightly as she slipped behind him slightly.

“Don’t play fucking games Rath…how’d you survive? Change your face man! Don’t look like them!” Kyle cried out, his anger and pain coming off of him in waves as a light bulb above his head shattered as his powers grew.

“Kyle! What the hell are you talking about?” Michael cried, his confusion and anger growing by the second. He took a step towards Kyle only to freeze in place when the very distinct sound of a shotgun being cocked echoed in his ears. Isabel moaned, Michael turning around very slowly to face the voice that spoke.

“Move another step in that direction man, and it will be da last thing ya ever gonna do”

Michael could only stare at the man before him, who held the shotgun pointed at him at chest height.

“Max?” he asked weakly.

Zan smirked. “Ya wish…. Michael.”

Kyle jerked, and slowly lowered his hand. “Michael?” he whispered weakly, his eyes starting to dart between Michael and Isabel, and the top of the stairs. But it was too late, Michael and Isabel turning as one to stare upwards. They saw Ava first, and knew who she was immediately. But when they saw the man at her side, Michael stumbled backwards; only to watch as Isabel took a step forward in a trance like state, her face paling by the second.

In the next five minutes, confusion would explode, accusations would fly, and tears would fall, and it all started when Isabel spoke weakly, before fainting at Michael’s feet.

“Alex?”
kerri240879
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kerri240879 »

Part 10.

Hey guys, I am soooo sorry about the time between updates lately. My old computer died on me, and I've only just gotten word set up on my new and shiney bright computer, so that I could start writing again.

Keep this line from chapter four in mind ~ House wise, the only rules I have are this: don’t bring anyone home here. If you want down time, go to their place. Too many people stare at Alex, and I won’t have him feel uncomfortable in his own home."

I've deliberatly not said what Alex looks like for a reason. You know the others have changed slightly, but I've let you form your own picture of what Alex looks like now....this is how I see him after what he went through.

This ones for Pooh ~ I know how much you love Isabel and Alex darl...I hope I do them justice. But as Natalie and Lisa will tell you, when I make a promise like I am about to make, you'd better believe it'll happen....get some tissues before you read on. You will cry :)

Reality came back to her slowly. A flicker of heavy eyelashes. Her fingers flexed by her face. Stage by stage, she became aware that something was happening. What it was she didn't know, but the importance of it was beating in her heart. Raised voices filtered through the heavy mist in her mind, making it hard to open eyes that were refusing to open easily. The pain was still there, something real and tangible that she could cling to.

But the pain was no longer just in her jaw. It was in her head too, searching fingers finding the large lump on the back of her head. Isabel forced her eyes open, and groaned softly as her vision blurred momentarily, strength and sheer will fighting back the nausea that threatened to rise as she closed her eyes again. The voices continued to echo, Isabel letting her head rest back against the cushion she had raised it from. Confusion was swirling, so she simply lay there, letting the voices wash over her, and tried to make sense of why Michael was fighting with Liz....

Isabel sat upright, her heart hammering as tears gathered in her eyes, and slid down her face unheeded as it all came back to her like a freight train through her mind. They were home. They were with friends. And sitting against the wall across from the couch she was lying on, sat Alex. Disbelieving eyes took in the changes in him. This was no apparition from her heart, a need to escape into her memories. This was real. He was real.

Real, like the cane resting by his side. Real, like the day’s growth that darkened his jaw. Real, like the scar that ran from temple to chin. Real, like the tousled waves of his hair, messy from shaking fingers running through it as she slept. Real, like the nervous drum of his fingers on the tiles. Real, like the awareness that she was awake, as green eyes that were clouded over with blindness turned towards her, searching for what she didn't know.

"Alex?"

It tumbled from her lips on a choked sob, as she tumbled from the couch and started to scramble on her knees towards him. Isabel stopped however, when he held his hand out, and a soft blue shield spread between them. Her breath hitched in her throat, causing more tears to slide down pale cheeks, as she knelt there, Alex keeping her from touching him with the shield.

"Are you really Isabel? Or is it you Lonnie? Did you survive and come back to fuck with my mind some more?"

Isabel could only stare at him through the shield, at the pain in his voice.

"Answer me!"

"It's me Alex...Isabel....when did you get powers? How can you do that?"

Her voice had a tremble to it, Alex closing his eyes as he rested his head against the wall.

"That's what Lonnie said last time. That she was Isabel. I believed her. Why should I believe you?"

Isabel stared at the man the boy she loved had become. At the scar that ran down his face. Searching eyes drifted down his body, and saw the other scars that marred his arms. There would be others too, she knew. Scars on his heart. Kneeling up slowly, she pressed her hands against the shield between them, and felt the soft pulse of warmth beneath her hands.

"When we woke the morning after prom, I was lying on my stomach. You woke up before I did, and you were lying on your side, running your fingers up and down my back...."

"She knew that too," Alex interrupted.

Isabel winced, wondering what had happened to Alex, and how he had survived in the first place. But she pressed on anyway, determined to finish her tale.

"When I woke up, I lifted my head to look at you, and you smiled. There was none of that morning after shyness that I had heard so much about. There was just you and me, and we lay in bed together, without having to say a word. We took the day for ourselves. We had breakfast in bed, and you made me laugh when you dropped jam off of your toast, and onto the sheets. You were more worried about that stain, than the one we had made when you took my virginity.

"You called it a badge of honour. That you were honoured to see it, while I had been mortified. I offered to remove it with my powers, but you said no. We spent the rest of the morning exploring each other and laughing. Lunch in the backyard, and dinner at the Crash Down, and the following day? You died Alex. You left me. And something in me died with you. We buried you Alex. I danced with your ghost beside your grave."

Alex closed his eyes again, and shook his head slowly. "No...you danced with me in my dreams."

Isabel started crying again, her hands pressing against the wall between them. But still he wouldn't let her through.

"Lonnie and Rath came back. Lonnie pretended to be you....she pretended to be hurt. She rang me, and told me that Max had hurt her...that she needed my help. They caught me by surprise on the highway. They left a body in my car that wore my face. And it was Zan and Ava who found me six months later, and brought me home. My powers come from Zan healing me. For a whole year, everyday he poured everything he had into me, and in doing so, saved my life."

"What did they do to you Alex?"

It was whispered, the pain in those words fracturing his heart slightly. But he knew she deserved to know the truth.

"Nikolas mind raped me for six months straight. Lonnie looked like you...not like she looked when she first came to Roswell. She and Rath would kiss and have sex in front of me. They made me think it was you and Michael. Rath got off on flicking used cigarettes into my lap. Putting them out on my arms. Tess was the worst out of all of them..."

"Tess?"

Alex snorted. "It was Tess who came up with the idea of mind warping me into decoding the book. When I came out of her warp, she was surprised when I told her that I would have decoded it for her if she had only asked. But she had broken me with the warps. Broken my mind. My body healed Isabel. My mind? That's still playing tricks on me. Because I know you aren't really here. You can't be. You left the planet. You were to die up there. Tess told me...the three of you were to die. And it's my fault...I wasn't strong enough for you."

Isabel could only watch as he slowly lowered his hand, the shield flickering once, before melting away. Alex sighed softly, and rested his head on his drawn up knees.

"This is my punishment for not saving you. I'm to be haunted by what I want most in the world, the one thing I can't have. And anyway...who would want me? A blind man..."

Isabel shuddered, before crawling the remaining distance between them. Stopping in front of him, she sat back on her feet, and spoke quietly.

"You think I'm a ghost?"

Alex shrugged, only to still when he felt a warm hand slide through his hair.

"If I'm a ghost, how can I touch you? If I'm anyone, how can I want you? How can I look at you, and still think you are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen? Do you remember saying that me Alex?"

Alex looked up at her slowly before uncurling his body and kneeling up himself. His hand trembled as he raised it, reaching out blindly to touch her. He heard her giddy sigh, a heart beat before his hand touched silky hair. Isabel closed her eyes as his thumb scraped gently along her jaw, even as tears rolled slowly down her cheeks. She knew those hands. Had dreamt about them. The length of his fingers, and the roughness of his palms.

With her eyes closed, she could only feel. So she gave herself over to the sensation of having those gentle hands slide along her throat. Questing fingers sliding along her neck under her hair. Fingers sliding through her hair, awakening tiny nerves under her skin, and setting her body aflame with happiness.

Those wide palms flattening out across her shoulders, and tracing her collarbones. Sliding up her throat, and cupping her face. Thumbs sliding through the tracks her tears had left behind, followed by the whisper soft dance of his breath skipping across her cheek as his lips touched her jaw line.

Isabel raised her own hands, and gently touched his shoulders, her hands hanging on tightly as his lips trailed up her face. When he kissed her closed eyes, Isabel started to cry in earnest, her eyes flickering open to stare at him. Tears sparkled against his eyelashes, even as he stared blindly into her own eyes.

"You're really here?"

In answer, Isabel slid her hands up his shoulders to his face, and drew him closer. She repeated what he had done to her, trailing soft kisses along his jaw, across his cheek, before brushing her lips across his for the first time. It was meant to be a small kiss. An affirmation. But Alex's hand caught the back of her head, and his other arm slid around her waist, dragging her closer to him.

A small kiss, that was the first of many. One that caught their breath, and stole it away. A remembering of texture. Of taste. Of coming home to each other. The taste of each other's tears. A sharing of pain. And when he finally drew away, his voice was soft.

"I think I've loved you my whole life."

Isabel laughed softly, even as she rested her forehead against his.

"Even when I was a duckling?"

"You've always been a swan to me."

Laughter mixed with tears, and a kiss shared that was as sweet as it was bitter. They had miles yet to go, but it didn't matter. She was home.