Burning Embers (CC, M/L) Prologue 11/20/07 COMPLETE

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Dream Weaver
Addicted Roswellian

Burning Embers (CC, M/L) Prologue 11/20/07 COMPLETE

Post by Dream Weaver »

Banner By me

Title: Burning Embers
Author: Dream Weaver
Category: CC M/L
Rating: Teen

Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to Roswell or the characters. Please don't sue......

Set three months after Departure. Everything happend up until then except all the aliens left with Tess and Liz, Kyle and Maria were unable to stop them, leaving them to pick up the pieces of what was left behind and the knowledge of Alex's killer.

The world is nothing without him, yet Liz Parker knows that in order to live her life and move on she has to set the past right. What happens when a chance message is sent over the divide? Will it be heard by the one she so desparately seeks?

Note: This is a story I am writing for the Exception Challenge at RH....Warning it is dark and angst filled.

Part One

The sun slid behind the clouds causing dusk to set on the world. The hint of fall kissed the air with a slight breeze that whipped through the trees causing the drying leaves to flutter to the ground. It was the time of the year when Mother Nature shadowed the earth with the illusion of a dying world, something that only made the time pass more slowly as the days shortened.

Dead…this word described so much these days and the young girl could only frown at the changing of the seasons. She moved slowly, almost in a trance as she finished her daily routine. Life seemed to only pass her by now as the girl was tortured by what had become of what seemed like such a promising year. This year was supposed to be a year of new beginnings not a year for catastrophic disasters.

As she flipped the light switch off, she glanced out the window and could only wince at the day as it concluded. This had been the way it had been for what seemed like years when in fact time had only stolen three months away. Her life had lost all meaning and every day that passed only made the longing of what would never be continue to be embedded on her heart and in her very soul.

The others seemed to feel it too. The time they spent together was always filled with silence and tears. The only sense of normal they had left to hold onto was their memories and that couldn’t keep them warm at night. Where once there was everything now only held nothing and life seemed to no longer hold a purpose for any of them. Life as they had led it for the past several years was gone and no matter how they tried, they could not go back and would never forget.

She sighed as she made her way listlessly towards her room before grabbing the cold knob that matched the feel of her very core. A shiver ran down her arm causing goose bumps to emerge on her delicate skin. She felt numb and void of anything these days yet this slight gesture made her hope that maybe…just maybe she could find a way to make it though the rest of the evening.

She entered the door to her room, only finding the moonlight spilling through it, setting the illusion of peace and comfort. But for her this room only made her feel trapped, confined to a life she could no longer pretend was normal. She frowned as she turned away from the window, stripping away her work clothing, which only felt like shackles to her. It pained her that her life no longer held anything she could consider happy. It devastated her that in her heart she knew she’d never be able to live without the breath and light that was stolen from her those many months ago.

The girl sat on the end of her bed as she grabbed her robe and slid it around her slim form. The cotton fabric that should have held comfort only felt like sandpaper against her skin and she sighed. Why did this have to be her life now? What had she done to deserve this existence? Was she not worthy of happiness? Or had the sacrifices’ of the past year been truly for nothing?

A single tear fell towards her cheek and she gritted her teeth biting back the loneliness that plagued her. She turned her gaze forward and as she looked out through her window and onto her balcony, an unspeakable pain pulled at her heart. She had not been able to set foot on that balcony, not after that night when her world was obliterated. Her mind told her that she needed to pull herself up and try to live, if nothing then for her family and her friends, but the harder she tried to let go, the more she sunk deeper into despair.

Realizing that she had been holding it, she took a deep breath in hopes to calm her emotions for what was to come this evening, but she couldn’t help the feelings of emptiness that swelled through her heart. She knew that something needed to change but would this be the right thing to do? Would this free her to finally accept the repercussions of her past choices and the consequences of so many mistakes in her life? Or would it rip away every fiber of her being and condemn her to a life of nothingness.

She stood on shaky legs and made her way forward, stopping at her dresser. She looked down to find a pair of haunting eyes looking back at her through the picture there and could only stare at it as she did every time she was in this room, which caused a flicker in her dead soul as it reacted to that picture. She couldn’t help but pick it up as memories of a happier time bombarded her mind. Another tear cascaded down the brittle skin of her cheek, threatening to break open the very flood gates that she so desperately tried to contain.

She caught her reflexion in her mirror and frowned. The dark circles only grew larger around her eyes and her face more pale and gaunt with the passing of the last few months. Most days she had to force herself to even get out of bed and eating was also hard when she never had an appetite. She knew that she needed to take better care of herself, but she couldn’t find the strength to. There was nothing left for her now.

She turned away from the stranger in her mirror before she gently sat the picture down. It was still hard to find the strength to turn away from that picture. And even in sleep those amber eyes haunted her dreams. There was no escape for her. She opened a drawer and grabbed out a pair of jeans and a long sleeved tee-shirt which she gently slid over her shivering body after disposing the robe onto the floor. Then with shaking hands she opened the top drawer of her dresser and began to remove the items that she had been collecting for the final reprieve to release herself from the shackles of the past in hopes to finally begin to heal and move forward. After gathering everything up, she bent down, placing them in a knapsack on the floor.

She hated that the time had finally come to sever her ties with her past, the only happiness that she had known in her life. She feared that performing this task tonight would forever dissolve a connection that she felt was the only thing that kept her breathing some days. The faint flicker of an essence that she so desperately clung to in hopes that someday it would be rekindled. But that yearning was only hindering her from mending her broken spirit and her barren existence. She knew that she had to move forward with her life, if not for herself but then for the others, even if it would destroy her in the process.

A familiar ring tone broke through the silence and through her thoughts and the girl grabbed her cell phone off her dresser. “Hey….” She said sadly.

The female on the other end sighed. “Are you getting ready?”

The girl grunted. “Yea, I guess I am really going to do this huh?” She could feel the hint of tears fighting to remain in her eyes.

“Chica, this is for the best. Please believe that. It may seem crazy, but I believe that this will gain you closure if nothing else. “The girl sighed before adding quietly. “We want our friend back.”

There was a hint of tears in her friend’s voice that brought a slight whimper from the girl. “I can’t believe I am doing this. I can’t believe I am even contemplating this. After everything that we went through, it feels like I am only giving up.” The tears began to fall on her cheek as the sobs once more returned.

The female also began to cry. “I promise you that they would not see it that way.” She paused to wipe away her own tears. “They wouldn’t want us to be like this. HE wouldn’t want you like this.”

He…….his face flashed into her mind. His smile always made her weak in the knees. His eyes were something to get lost in. His touch made her tingle and only crave more of him. His soul made her fall in love with him as the bond they made completed her. In reality what she was about to do could ultimately destroy that very bond and she couldn’t even imagine a life without that very connection.

“What if in doing this I destroy everything?” She whispered into the phone.

The female could only sigh. “Let’s just pray that that doesn’t happen. I’ll be here if you need me.”

The girl smiled sadly. “I know. I will call you soon. I love you Ria.”

Maria smiled as the silent tears fell for her friend. “Right back at you babe.”
Last edited by Dream Weaver on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
My all Genres RPG and Fanfiction board: Champagne Wishes and Cocktail Dreams
The Champagne Wishes Luna Lounge Discussion Board: Champagne Luna Lounge
My personal writings, RPG's, and fanart board:Dream Weaver's Web of Fantasy
Dream Weaver
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Dream Weaver »

AN: Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. Ok there is only a few parts after this one. Thanks to thetvgeneral for BETAing this! Hope you all don't kill me for what I am about to do.

Part 2

The silence was deafening. It was hard to believe that everything that had happened to her over the past few years had led up to this moment. The drive to the desert was nerve wracking as time stood still. Liz Parker was starting to second guess her decision. Was this really the right thing to do? Or had her friend really gone crazy this time? She knew Maria meant well but sometimes the depths that Maria went to seemed completely insane and she was starting to think that this idea was one of them.

She pulled the SUV off the highway and onto the path leading to where this entire saga had unfolded. Where everything had begun as well as ended for the small group of West Roswell High students. A place for a rebirth of a Royal Family and the ending of what Liz Parker knew as normal. Nothing had ever been the same following the day that Max Evans saved her life at the Crashdown.

She pulled to a stop before turning off the engine and sat quietly inside gazing up at the night sky. This sky haunted her. It used to hold such mystery and comfort for her. Now she only saw it for what it was. So many stars and celestial bodies resided in the desert sky and she could only stare at it angered that on one of those small dots held her very heart and soul….her life's happiness.

She reached for her knapsack and made her way out of the SUV, locking the door behind her before making the hike towards the reminisces of the pod chamber. None of them had ventured out here since that night that the Royal Four left for Antar. They had fled Earth, taking with them the very spark that held the group together, leaving behind three devastated humans, who could only sit and wonder what had become of their loved ones not even knowing if they were even still alive.

After watching the ship depart, the three of them left that night, not only knowing that they had lost pieces of their souls but also with the unbelievable knowledge that in letting the aliens into their lives, they had helped kill Alex. The three remaining members of the I Know an Alien Club had decided that it was too hard to come back to this place and the pain was still too raw. But here she was tonight climbing towards the past and facing those demons, not knowing what awaited her. For deep within her she knew that her decision ultimately caused everything to unravel.

So with a heavy heart she made her way on the hard rocky surface to the base of the formation that housed and protected the Royal Four for so many years. She took a deep breath as she began to climb. Where a path once existed now was littered with large boulders and debris, but Liz, determined and curious, made her way through the devastation. Once at the top, she switched on her flashlight and scanned the wall, hoping to recognize something that would tell her where the entrance used to lie, but there was noting but a sheet of rock. She cursed quietly to herself feeling hopelessly defeated.

Maria had told Liz that this was the only place that the plan would work. That she needed to come back to the source of all the pain in Liz's heart and the closest place that connected her to Max. She knew that it was a long shot and didn't even know if anything had still survived the explosion that sent them home, but she was willing to try. She also doubted even if the pod chamber still existed that she could gain access without one of the royal seals that only the aliens possessed.

"This was a stupid idea." She said to herself before she sat down pressing her back against the rock. She could feel the hot tears burning the edges of her eyes and anger began to swell in her. She stood up before pounding on the rock formation as the tears continued to flow. "Why?" She cried out into the rock before she pressed her palm hard on the surface. A sudden tingle in her hand shook her slightly causing her to remove her palm. She gasped at what she saw in its place. A glowing hand print was now visible on the rock and she held her breath as she placed her hand down to find the rock entrance open to her.

Shock raced through her body. No one was supposed to be able to open this chamber unless they were one of the Royal Four. She was baffled and confused. She never in her wildest dreams expected to actually get in. She reached down to grab her knapsack before entering the chamber carefully, her guard up, not sure what to expect. Once inside she turned, waiving her hand on the glowing print, sealing the door behind her.

She allowed her eyes to adjust to the darkness before she scanned the chamber with her flashlight. Rocks were scattered through the opening and she carefully made her way through the debris. She looked towards the right and gasped as the pods still hung unharmed on the cave wall.

A feeling of sadness filled her as she gazed at Max's pod. It was hard even now to think about all the sacrifices that he had to make in his short life. The thought of all the time she lost with him killed her. Some days she cursed the day she agreed to the plan that Future Max had set forth to make happen. In changing their destinies with that one simple act she single handedly destroyed the lives of everyone. Maria lost Michael, Tess murdered Alex and she lost Max. She had known that in staging the illusion of her sleeping with Kyle that she would push Max away, she just never in a million years thought that that choice would cause such devastation and cost her Max completely.

She turned towards them feeling slightly faint as she made her way forward. She gently pulled back the layer of Isabel's pod to peer into the Granolith Chamber. Where an eternal illumination used to be was now only darkness and Liz had to shine the flashlight in to get a better view before she stepped through the opening.

The dense air made it slightly hard to breath and Liz coughed as dust filled her lungs. All around the chamber laid the inner lining yet the walls still guarded the hidden secret that remained here from the outside world. In the center of the room the now dead shell of the Granolith sat quietly and Liz walked ahead tears falling from her eyes.

Facing the contraption that had ripped away her soul hurling him through space caused more pain than she could have foreseen. She placed her hand on the cold housing secretly praying for something to happen as it did with the opening of the Pod Chamber but she was distraught when the device remained silent under her touch. She bit back the urge to break down right there on the spot. "Keep it together for the task at hand." She repeated to herself as she slid her quivering hand away from the lifeless chamber before sitting down on the floor. She sat the flash light down before beginning to carefully remove the supplies from her knapsack.

First she removed the red and pink pillar candles and two silver bases, placing them gently on the ground. She pulled out a folded piece of paper and an envelope first then a small vile. She placed them down carefully before pulling out a tiny book and moved the knapsack to the side before folding her legs Indian style in front of the two candles.

Fear began to shake her psyche as the moment was finally at hand. She felt the tears slowly begin to roll down her eyes. The realization of what she was about to do was pulling at her heart, whispering to her not to go through with this, not to let go, while her mind was screaming to her to free herself from all the restraints that Max Evans had placed on her very essence. She took a deep breath before opening the book to the page that she had marked last night.

She had already prepared the first part of the instructions. She had written a letter to Max. She felt completely stupid doing so but it was part of what was needed to perform the task at hand. She reached into her pocket and retrieved the lighter and carefully lit both candles, watching blankly as they both flared to life.

The flames were casting haunting shadows in the cavern and if she concentrated on those shadows she could almost see all of them gathered around the Granolith as if the memory of their departure itself was embedded into the very essence of this place and Liz shut her eyes begging the images to dissipate. It was hard enough to go through this but to also be haunted by his face was just too much. She took a ragged breath before she opened her eyes finding the cavern empty with only herself remaining.

She picked up the folded letter in her hand and her bottom lip began to quiver. Giving up Max had been hard, but there was always hope that one day things could be different. In doing this, Liz felt like she was slamming shut the door on any hope that Max Evans would come back to her and be hers again. Once she completed this, there would be no going back and she would finally have to let go of her fantasy and of her happy ever after.

She wiped away the falling tears as she opened up the letter. She had written it several days ago in preparation for tonight and had finally dropped her shields and poured her heart out to him. She now had to read the letter again as she visualizes the words and allow all the emotions of her past to bubble to the surface. She took a deep breath and began.
Dream Weaver
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Dream Weaver »

AN: Ok guys this part starts with the letter. The spells used you might recognize. Two are similar to two used in the series Charmed and are not mine. The other is from a book I had so those are not mine. Thanks again to thetvgeneral for BETAing for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
keepsmiling7
tinie38
ken_r
flyawayraven
paper
begonia9508

Part 3

Max:

I don't even know where to start. I know this is crazy but you know Maria. I can't ever say no to her or her crazy ideas. It's just that life's been extremely hard Max. Summer gets shorter every year it seems or maybe it has been the fact that we don't have you guys here. She has really been crazy since Michael has left. She has been dabbling in the world of Magic these days hoping to find a way to reach you guys, especially Michael. It's funny how one person can change another. Michael kept her grounded. She feels lost without him. She even talked me and Kyle into having a séance at Alex's grave a few weeks ago. Well, let's just say that she was again disappointed that nothing happened.

Kyle has really been going through a lot. There is so much to tell you about what has happened to him. He has however been filling his time with Vicky Delaney, which shocked even me. I guess he is looking for anything to take his mind off of everything. For months now he has been haunted by ghosts. He wakes up every night with vivid nightmares that plague him and the horror and pain that he relives in those nightmares Max is heart breaking. It's really hard for him and it breaks my heart that again my decisions affected him. I never meant for any of this to happen.

You see, Maria found this spell. She says that this will help free me. Maybe she has lost her mind. But what if she is right? What if in doing this my life can get back to normal? What if in doing this my soul will begin to heal? I guess what I want to say is I am terrified. I am scared at what all this madness has done to my life. I am angry that after everything that has happened and all the choices I made to help and benefit you that I only made life worse for everyone and destroyed everything that I held dear. I am scared Max, scared that I will never be able to forgive myself and I guess my biggest fear these days is what not having you in my life will mean and that I will live forever only partly alive without you.

I know that this is all confusing. I know that none of this makes sense. Hell it doesn't even make sense to me half the time but I am trying to come to terms with what I have done. Every day is a struggle yet I can't seem to let go. There is so much I wanna say and so much I need to confess to you. Maria says that in writing this letter that I can release my guilt and sadness even if you will never read this, that this spell will allow me to find peace. I just don't think that I will ever find peace again.

This entire chain of events is my fault. Everything that led up to all of you leaving was my doing. Please believe me when I say that I have and always will love you. That is how all of this came to be and all of the madness in all our lives began. Do you remember the night you came to my balcony with the mariachi band? Well you may not understand this Max, but you came to me or rather a future version of yourself did that night. You came from the year 2014 through the Granolith. My future self and your future self sent you back to change the past, correct what we felt caused the end of all of us.

They came to Earth Max, your enemies came to destroy you and in the process all of us. Since we had been a couple, Tess had fled Roswell and we were never able to find her. When your enemies came you didn't have Tess there and the four square you needed to defeat them was not intact. Future Max was so distraught. Everyone was dead. Just 25 minutes before Future Max came to me, he held Michael in his arms...dead. Isabel had died 2 weeks before that. He begged me to help him put things right to prevent the horror that would fall on us if we continued on our paths. All our lives depended on me doing one thing. Our future selves believed that the key was for Tess and you to be together and you asked me to make you fall out of love with me.

I tried so hard to push you away. I told you to be with Tess as I was so desperate to save you and everyone I loved. I can't tell you how hard it was to try and help Tess hook up with you and when you found out you were so angry but you still held onto me and our love. My heart was breaking the entire time and I had no one to lean on. I was crushed that night in your room, when I told you that I didn't want to be put in the position of being in danger all the time. I wanted to be there by your side, fighting with you, loving you, but I knew that in being selfish I would kill everyone that we held dear. I didn't mean it when I told you I wanted a normal boy because there will never be another man that will hold my heart like you do.

I had to choke back the tears of my despair when I told you that I didn't want to die for you Max and that I wanted you to let me go. I ran like hell from your house because I almost threw myself at your feet to ask you to love me forever. But you kept pursuing me even after that and I had no other choice. I knew the only way to push you away was to make you hate me so I enlisted the help of Kyle so that it looked like we had slept together.

The look on your face killed me. All the lies pierced my heart and shattered me. I would have died by your side; I owed that to you after you sacrificed your life to save mine. I wanted to have OUR wedding and OUR children. The worst part about that night was that…that night we were supposed to cement our relationship. We were supposed to make love for the first time and knowing that was torture.

I am sure you are wondering how I know that. You see the hardest part about everything is that Future Max told me of our future. We had a beautiful wedding Max. Alex, Maria, Michael, Kyle and Isabel were all there. We were 19 and we had a wedding at the Elvis Chapel in Las Vegas. So you see that flash you had in Vegas was real. I don't know how but you saw us there. We got our happy ending Max…that is until your enemies came and destroyed all of us. Without Tess by your side you were defenseless.

So I destroyed your heart and sent you into the arms of Tess changing the future. But I didn't know at the time that that one decision would make things go horribly wrong. My sacrifice was hard to deal with. I was emotionally dead and I had a hard time dealing, then Alex was killed. He was not supposed to die. I knew in that moment that things were horribly wrong. That's why I was so desperate for the truth.

Then you slept with Tess. You didn't know it but since I hadn't slept with Kyle I still dreamed that I would be your first. Do you know how destroyed I was when she turned up pregnant? It was all my fault. And again my choice had destroyed everyone. I didn't even think it could get worse from there but it did. You had to leave Earth to save your son.

You said goodbye and my heart shattered into a thousand pieces. But a realization finally hit me about Alex's death. I had been at Maria's and noticed that Amy had been drumming her fingers then she freaked out as she had flashes about the night Brody held us all at gunpoint. Then it dawned on me that Kyle had been doing the same thing so I started to suspect maybe Tess had mind warped Kyle. But Maria and I never expected to uncover what we did that night.

Kyle remembered. God, I am in tears now just remembering it, but Tess killed Alex. She had sent him to Las Cruses to decode the destiny book. She had been mind warping him for months and killing him slowly. He finally remembered and came to confront her. She tried to mind warp him again to make him forget but she fried his brain. Kyle watched in horror as Alex died. Then that evil Bitch mind warped Kyle. God, that heartless witch made him carry Alex's body and put it in her car. He thought he was carrying her luggage.

We tried so desperately to stop you guys. We screamed and banged on the rocks till our hands were black and blue and our throats were raw but we were too late. You were gone and we were left behind. And I was left with the guilt that in changing our paths I destroyed everything and let that murderous slut kill Alex and make off with my very heart and soul.

I cry every night at what I have done. I die every day knowing that somewhere you are with her and she got away with killing Alex and destroying us all. Do you believe in ghosts?If you would have told me yes I would have thought you to be crazy, but now I live with ghosts, reminders of what could have been if I would have only let you in. Those ghosts haunt everything that I am now.

If I would have only trusted in you and our love maybe we would have figured things out together. Alex would be alive and you would be here. Kyle wouldn't have to live with the constant memory of Alex and his part in his death. Isabel and Alex would still have each other and Maria would have Michael. Mostly I would still have you. I wouldn't feel empty and alone, void of all emotion except misery and regret. I will never be able to forgive myself for what I have done. I just hope that someday….somehow everyone else can forgive me.

I guess now the only thing I can try to do is let go. Let go of the past and try and move forward. But in order to do that, I need to let you go. Please know that this is not something that I want to do but I need to do for the sake of living. My heart is screaming at me even now as I write these words and the falling tears from my devastated eyes stain the paper to not let go, but if I am to survive another day, then I have to do that without the memory that haunts my life and my dreams. The memory of what could have been and the memory of my happy ending with you. I can't keep hoping that you will return because the reality is that you probably never will and I am the reason for that. I have to accept that.

Please don't blame yourself. If anyone is to blame, then it's me. I have always and will always hold you in my heart Max Evans. Severing our connection will never take you away from that place in my heart that you captured with your undying love and no matter where I go in life I will take you with me. It's because of you that I lived and learned how to love. You were the best thing in my life Max and for those things I will love you until my last breath on this Earth. Goodbye.

Eternally Yours;
Liz

As the words filled her mind and the tears fell from her eyes her heart ached for the longing that would always be there in her heart for the one that she was about to let go of. She folded the letter once more before placing it gently inside the envelope and licked the bitter backing to seal it. She took the vial and opened it carefully spilling a few drops of the incense onto the flame of the red candle causing a lingering smell of jasmine in the air.

She took a few ragged breaths as she tried to calm her nerves, reminding herself that this was for her sanity and that somehow Max would understand. She closed her eyes, filling her mind with the words in the letter as she recited the beginning spell.

My love is strong, my spirit weak
It is an answer that you seek
A question burns within this fire
So that you may hear my heart's desire.

A pop shook her out of her thoughts as her connection to Max filled her up, almost choking her and the tears fell like waterfalls as she continued:

Life to life and mind to mind
Our spirits now will intertwine
We meld our souls and journey to
The one who's thoughts, we wish we knew.

She felt a jolt in her soul as she gently placed the sealed envelope containing everything she had poured out to Max over the flame,
setting it on fire. She gently laid it down on the hard ground as it burned and it was almost like she could see him in that flame. A vision of a very ragged Max standing in front of a fire place. She shook off the feeling knowing that it was just the casting of the illusions of the flames and her mind was just hoping to see something. It wasn't real and she would not allow her heart to interfere with the task at hand.

She swallowed her fear and looked towards the Pink Candle. Just as before she placed a few drops of the jasmine incense onto the flame causing it to flare to life. Swallowing back her anguish she closed her eyes willing her mouth to recite the words to finish this.

"From this day forth,
My heart will be free.
To find love and,
Happiness, eternally"

A cry of utter despair filled the cavern as Liz Parker finally allowed herself to break down as the candles and the letter continued to burn.
Dream Weaver
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Dream Weaver »

Ok guys......I will warn you now...this is the prologue to the story and it will only make more questions. BUT never fear.....I am working on a sequel to this. I just can't leave it here! I just can't! So be on the lookout for the sequel I will hopefully be able to get it going and posted in January....maybe sooner but with the holiday I don't want to push it.

Thanks to all of you who read this and to these people who left feedback:
Natalie36
ken_r
begonia9508
Timelord31
Flamehair
tinie38

and to my BETA thetvgeneral.....thanks again girl!

Prologue

Out of the Flames a letter appeared to a Future King on a distant planet. Curiously he picked it up, gasping as he recognized the handwriting and with shaking hands opened it to reveal a letter. As he read the words that poured out with such despair and longing, what was left of his heart shattered.

A connection long forgotten flared to life sending mass panic through his body as he saw her sitting in front of a candle. His soul broke as he watched the love of his life in utter anguish. He began to scream her name, desperate for her to hear him, to answer, but there is no reaction or recognition in her eyes.

He watched through panic filled eyes as she picked up crumbled bits of paper from the burning embers next to the candle as she leaned in, tears falling from her eyes, towards the candles. She gently blew out the red candle's flame which sent a searing pain through his heart as he felt their connection begin to dim.

He screamed out to her calling her name as the haunting words of Liz Parker whispered in his ears. "I love you Max....Goodbye."

"NO!!!!" He screamed as he watched her blow out the pink flame and instantly she is gone and their connection is severed. He reached out to find her and only found emptiness where she used to lie.

Defeat filled his very soul as that part that remained of her no longer existed and the now beaten king fell to his knees in agony where is sister found him hours later, still clutching the crumbled letter, still muttering her name.

THE END........for now.
Watch for the sequel coming soon!