Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Chapter 28 03/31/12 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 10 2/10/08 AN 2/27/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys, thankyou for being patient with me, I'm feeling better now so hopefully I can get right back into writing this and getting more out for you soon!! I won't do feedback this week because some of you raise interesting points and some of them are answered or explained in this part.

Roswell3053, thanks for the fed-ex, much appreciated!! lol :lol:
So here's the next part....enjoy
Elle xx

Previous Chapter.
“What are these?” Brian growled out as soon as she stepped into the apartment. She took one look at the papers in his hand and mentally kicked herself; she had left the college prospectuses on her desk that morning.
“They’re the colleges’ I’ve applied to.” She answered shortly and he tore them in two before she could say anything further. Staring at the torn pieces fluttering to the floor she felt the ball of fear roll in her stomach, what’s he going to do about it? He can’t stop you from going, it’s your future and the sooner he’s out of it the better. The voice in her head told her as she flicked her gaze up to his strangely calm face.
“You aren’t going to college.”

Chapter 11

“What?” Her full attention was on her uncle standing before her.

“You aren’t going. You’re going to stay here and work for me.”

“No I’m not.” She snorted indignantly.

He reached out quickly and she pulled out of his reach but wasn’t quick enough as his hands clamped down on her left wrist. He manoeuvred his hand so that he was bending her hand back; putting strain on her wrist, on its way to breaking point.

She cried out, the pain shooting its way up her arm and he leaned towards her,

“You will do as I say! You are in my care so you will do what I want you to do, say what I want you to say and be what I want you to be.” His voice snarled in her ear and his stale breath tickled her cheek as she gasped from the pain.

“Everyone knows…I want to go…what am I supposed…to tell them?”

“You tell them you’ve changed your mind, you want to stay here and learn to run the restaurant your parents left you. Got it?”

She nodded, her vision blurry from the pain going through her arm. Just then the phone rang they both looked at it, and then Brian leaned over and answered, still holding her hand in its painful position. He grumbled a hello then looked at Liz before holding the mouthpiece against his shoulder.

“It’s Tommy, you tell him anything and I’ll snap your wrist.” He growled out the warning before shoving the phone in her other hand.

“Hello?” Her voice was shaky and she hated that Brian could see how much this was affecting her. I have two choices, do as he says and be miserable because I won’t be going to college but won’t get punished as much or ignore him and get the worst beating of my life and maybe not survive it.
She thought glumly as Tommy’s familiar voice floated down the phone at her. Would Tommy believe me if I told him what was happening? Of course he wouldn’t, he knows how much trouble you’ve been getting into, and he’ll just think you’re being difficult because you made it no secret that you didn’t like your uncle. The little voice said in the back of her head, strangely it was beginning to sound like her fathers’ voice.

“How are you?” Tommy interrupted her thoughts and she blinked back the beginning of tears. How am I? I am being abused by our uncle! Why did you leave me here with him? I thought you were supposed to protect me without our parents here? She wanted to scream at him.

“I’m fine.”

“Are you getting excited about college? I bet you and your friends are all applying to the same one.”

“Yeah about college…” She trailed off and looked into the cold grey eyes of her uncle as he tightened his grip on her wrist and she winced.

“I’ve decided not to go.”

“Not go where?”

“To college, I’m staying in Roswell.”

“What? Why? You’ve always been dead set on going to college, why have you changed your mind? Has something happened?”

Has something happened? She thought as her father’s voice spoke from the back for her mind, This is your chance to tell him, see if he’ll believe you, are you willing to risk it? If he doesn’t believe you, what will you do when your uncle comes after you? She glanced up into her uncles eyes and saw the intent there and she knew he’d hurt her if she opened her mouth.

“I’ve just thought about it a bit more and thought it would be better to learn everything about the restaurant since I’ll be taking it over in a few years.”

The pressure eased up on her wrist and she was able to talk without wincing.

“Ok but you can go to college and still have a couple of years after to learn everything about the restaurant. You don’t have to give up on your dream Liz.”

“I know but I’ve made my decision Tommy.”

“Liz…”

“Seriously, don’t start trying to convince me Tommy, I won’t change my mind.” She closed her eyes against the pain in her heart as she spoke to him and finalized her future into the care of her abusive uncle with no friends to take her mind off it.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Liz was seated at the table with Isabel eating lunch when Michael and Max sat down with them.

“Where’s Kyle?” Liz asked and Michael nodded and looked behind her,

“Hitting on the new girl, where else?”

Liz turned to see him standing very close to a red head who was so caught up in the attention Kyle was giving her that she didn’t noticed anything else.

“He disgusts me.” Isabel shuddered and returned to her lunch. Liz just laughed,

“He’s…”

“Disgusting? Repulsive? Stupid?” Isabel offered with hope in her blue eyes and everyone laughed at her as Liz shook her head,

“Unbelievable was what I was going for. I thought he was chasing Pam?”

“Obviously old news.” Max said quietly beside her and she turned to kiss him softly.

“Hey you.”

“Hi.” He kissed her again and Michael slammed his hand on the table, causing them to jump apart.

“No physical contact in front of the sibling.” He ordered and Max rolled his eyes,

“I see, so it’s different when I walked in on you and Daisy getting physical that time.”

“I’m older, so I get privileges.” He shrugged and Max stood up,

“Whatever, I’m going to get a soda, anyone want?”

“I’ll come with you, Kyle’s making me sick.” Isabel jumped up and they wandered off, leaving Michael and Liz alone.

“Hey Lizzie what’s with the watch?” He asked frowning, Liz never wore watches and now she was sporting a huge black thing on her wrist.

“Oh um…” She stalled for an excuse and finally settled for something stupid,

“I just…needed it today…to tell the…time.” His question had caught her off guard but she couldn’t very well show him the finger mark bruises that were on her wrist, courtesy of her uncle. Nice one Liz, he’ll really believe that.

“I see.” He murmured, what was going on with Liz? He suddenly grabbed her wrist with the watch on it and saw the pain go through her face.

“What’s wrong? Have you hurt yourself?” He wondered out loud, turning her wrist over to undo the watch. Liz pounced on the suggestion, he’ll ever believe you now, especially now since you’ve kept it a secret for a while.

“Yeah, I think I hurt myself, I’m not sure how it happened though.”

He pulled the watch away to reveal bruises looking suspiciously like finger marks.

His jaw tightened and Liz felt nervous, she could see he was mad.

“Is Max getting rough with you?” He asked, not liking that he was asking it but he needed to know. He wasn’t stupid, he knew they were finger marks so someone had grabbed her hard enough to bruise.

“What? No!” She denied quickly. This is getting way out of hand. She pulled her arm out of his grip and rubbed it softly.

“Liz, if someone is hurting you, then you need to tell me and if it‘s Max then I need to know.” He said angrily and Liz mistook his anger as being aimed at her.

“No, no one did, Max especially didn’t! I don’t really know how I got these.” She said quietly, feeling like crap for lying to him again.

“Lizzie…”

“Michael please…” She began but was interrupted when Max and Isabel sat back down again.

“What’s up?” Max asked when he felt the tension passing between Liz and Michael.

“I’ve just remembered that I need to go to the library, I’ll see you in class.” Liz said quickly as she gathered her things, I need to get away from here before I say something stupid. She thought as she avoided looking at anyone.

She turned and ran off just as Michael called out to her,

“Lizzie wait!” She ignored him and ran all the way to the girls bathroom. Locking herself inside she sagged against the door and tried to stop the tears threatening to fall. Michael suspects something still and I told the most pathetic excuses for lies. God what is wrong with me? They are my best friends, I should tell them. I need to tell them, I can’t deal with this anymore. She ran her hands over her face and wiped away the few tears that had begun to fall.

“What did you say to her?” Max accused his brother as they watched Liz run off.

Michael stayed silent, do I tell Max about it? He’d worry but maybe he’s thinking the same thing.

“Michael?”

“Have you noticed anything weird with Liz lately?” He asked looking at his brother.

“By weird you mean…?”

“Like she’s hiding something?”

“She’s grieving for her parent’s, that’s why she’s acting different.” Isabel piped up, confused by the serious look in Michael’s eyes. Truth was that Isabel had noticed a change in Liz’s personality, something she assumed was connected to loosing her parents but it seemed that Michael was on to something.

“She’s got this bruise on her wrist, it looks like finger marks.” He muttered quietly and Max frowned, finger shaped bruises? How would she get those? Michael continued,

“I might be completely wrong but she seems to be covering herself up all the time and this isn’t the first time she’s appeared with bruises. You remember her face that time?”

“She said that was an accident.”

“Then why was she avoiding us all morning? Then when I ask her about the bruises today she got all nervous saying that she wasn’t sure how she got them.”

“She had a bruise on her side at prom, I saw it but she just told me she was clumsy.” Max said and Michael wiped a hand over his face.

“When has Liz ever been clumsy and why is she bruising all of a sudden?”

“She hides her body when she’s getting changed in the locker room.” Isabel mentioned then, are they suggesting what I think they’re suggesting? Liz would have told us if anything was happening to her, wouldn’t she?

“I think someone is hurting her.” Michael said quickly and the anger that flashed through Max’s face made Michael wish he hadn’t told anyone just yet.

“Do you think it could be her uncle?” Isabel asked after thinking about it.

“I’m not sure, they can’t stand to be anywhere near each other, let alone long enough for him to do something like that...” Max replied, how did he not put two and two together and realise that Liz was hurt, he’d seen the bruise but had believed her. Surely she would say something to him if something like this was happening.

“So what do we do?” Isabel asked Michael and he shrugged,

“Liz won’t talk about it so I think I’ll ask dad what we can do to help.” He suggested and hoped that they got to the bottom of it soon.

“Liz what are you doing here?” Max was surprised to see his girlfriend standing in his bedroom doorway.

“I came to see you silly.” She teased as she made her way over to his bed and sat down and crossed her legs underneath her.

It had been one week since her conversation with Tommy on the phone where she had told him she wasn’t going to college. She hadn’t told any of her friends because she knew what a big deal it was for them all to go to the same college, truth be told, she couldn’t stand the thought of them moving on without her and making new friends without her. Sure she’d still have Kyle here in Roswell but she’d loose Isabel, Max and Michael. Isabel would get a new best friend and Max may even get a new girlfriend because she couldn’t see them surviving a long distance relationship. As much as she didn’t want to disappoint them she had to tell someone, it was eating away at her, every time they bought the subject up she tried to act with all the enthusiasm she had before but it was killing her inside. She had to tell someone and that someone for her was Max.

“Are you ok?” He asked, sitting up next to Liz.
He was nervous about talking to her, after the conversation he and Michael had had with their dad about Liz’s bruises, things were a bit difficult. Brian Parker had been approached by his dad and the Sheriff, where they had explained that they were concerned about her as of late. According to Brian, Liz had been particularly difficult to look after, always arguing and trying to pick fights with him, he had said that he was worried about her himself because he was sure she was self harming. Max hadn’t wanted to believe him but Liz had lost her parent’s in one night, her brother had left her and she had been causing trouble quite a bit, even if she had recently calmed down. His dad had decided that they would arrange for her to see a counsellor to deal with her grief and hopefully find out what had been going on. Michael and Max were under strict instructions not to say anything to Liz until a counsellor session had been arranged.

He looked at his girlfriend as she tucked a stray piece of her hair behind her ear, he loved how her hair was, she had recently had it cut into choppy layers where it sat above her shoulders and he thought it made the cutest ponytail when she tied it back. He recognized her nervous habit as what it was when she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“There’s something we need to talk about.” She began, why this was so hard to do, this was Max, and he would understand even if he didn’t like it. Because you know you’re lying to him once again and that’s all your relationship is built on. Her dads’ voice reasoned in her mind.

“Okay.”

“Actually this is something I need to tell you and you need to listen.” She corrected, telling him they needed to talk about it would imply that he could change her mind and as much as she wanted to let him, she knew she couldn’t change her mind now.

Max frowned at her, what is going on, is she breaking up with me? She hadn’t given any indication that she wasn’t happy with their relationship so he wondered what it could be…unless she was about to tell him what was going on with her.

“Okay, I’m listening.”

“There’s no easy way to say this and I know you’ll be angry at first but this is really what I think is best for me so please don’t be mad straight away…”

Max stopped Liz’s rambling with a hand on her arm,

“Baby, what are you talking about?” He asked worried, please don’t be breaking up with me, I couldn’t handle not being with you. He silently begged her.

“I’ve changed my mind about college.” She held her breath, watching his face as he thought about her words, then when he nodded she waited for what he was about to say.

“Okay, so you’ve changed your mind about where you want to go or what courses you’re going to take?”

“What? No…I mean I’m…” She sighed, this was ridiculous, just spit it out Liz!

“I’m not going to college Max.”

The confusion written over his face quickly changed to shock as his amber eyes widened and he opened his mouth to speak several times.

“I don’t…what…why? Where’s this coming from Liz?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I didn’t say anything because I knew you would be upset but it’s what I think is best for me.”

“Throwing away your career is what’s best for you? I don’t believe that you honestly think that!” Max was angry; she could see it in the way his hands clenched on his knees.

“No I just think that with everything that’s happened, I should stay and learn everything I can about the restaurant, it’ll be mine in a few years and I want to be ready…”

“Yeah in a few years, you could have gone to college and come back before it was turned over to you! I really think you’re rushing into this Liz…”

“Max, it’s what my parents’ wanted; they want me to have the restaurant…” He cut her off.

“Yeah they also left you money for college so they obviously wanted you to go there first! I can’t believe you’re being this…this…reckless, this is your future you’re going to ruin.”

“Don’t talk about me like I’m an idiot and can’t make decisions for myself Max!” She snapped angrily, how dare he tell me that I’m being reckless, he has no idea what I’m going through, that I know what this is going to cost me.

“Well you’re being an idiot Liz and as your boyfriend I’m not going to let you make a huge decision like this without thinking it through properly, you should speak to Tommy and your uncle about this.”

Max argued back, trying to keep his voice down, as much as he hated arguing with Liz he wasn’t going to let her ruin her life just because she felt that she owed it to her parents.

“I have spoken to them and they support me! If you feel that way and you can’t support my decision then don’t be my boyfriend anymore!” She jumped up from the bed and walked out of his room.

All the way down the stairs she couldn’t believe what she had said, don’t let me go that easily Max, I didn’t mean it, come after me! She screamed in her mind as she neared the front door. Glancing behind her she didn’t see any sign of Max, sighing, she opened the door and left.

Max stared at where Liz had disappeared out of his bedroom door. Picking his phone up he dialled a familiar number and waited.

“Hello?”

“It’s Max.”

“Hey what’s up?” Isabel’s perky voice replied on the other end.

“Did you know Liz has decided not to go to college?”

The silence that greeted him confirmed that he was the first to know.

“She was just here and we had a fight about it.” He confessed and he heard a sigh,

“What happened?
************************************************************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 10 2/10/08 AN 2/27/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys, thankyou for being patient with me, I'm feeling better now so hopefully I can get right back into writing this and getting more out for you soon!! I won't do feedback this week because some of you raise interesting points and some of them are answered or explained in this part.

Roswell3053, thanks for the fed-ex, much appreciated!! lol :lol:
So here's the next part....enjoy
Elle xx

Previous Chapter.
“What are these?” Brian growled out as soon as she stepped into the apartment. She took one look at the papers in his hand and mentally kicked herself; she had left the college prospectuses on her desk that morning.
“They’re the colleges’ I’ve applied to.” She answered shortly and he tore them in two before she could say anything further. Staring at the torn pieces fluttering to the floor she felt the ball of fear roll in her stomach, what’s he going to do about it? He can’t stop you from going, it’s your future and the sooner he’s out of it the better. The voice in her head told her as she flicked her gaze up to his strangely calm face.
“You aren’t going to college.”

Chapter 11

“What?” Her full attention was on her uncle standing before her.

“You aren’t going. You’re going to stay here and work for me.”

“No I’m not.” She snorted indignantly.

He reached out quickly and she pulled out of his reach but wasn’t quick enough as his hands clamped down on her left wrist. He manoeuvred his hand so that he was bending her hand back; putting strain on her wrist, on its way to breaking point.

She cried out, the pain shooting its way up her arm and he leaned towards her,

“You will do as I say! You are in my care so you will do what I want you to do, say what I want you to say and be what I want you to be.” His voice snarled in her ear and his stale breath tickled her cheek as she gasped from the pain.

“Everyone knows…I want to go…what am I supposed…to tell them?”

“You tell them you’ve changed your mind, you want to stay here and learn to run the restaurant your parents left you. Got it?”

She nodded, her vision blurry from the pain going through her arm. Just then the phone rang they both looked at it, and then Brian leaned over and answered, still holding her hand in its painful position. He grumbled a hello then looked at Liz before holding the mouthpiece against his shoulder.

“It’s Tommy, you tell him anything and I’ll snap your wrist.” He growled out the warning before shoving the phone in her other hand.

“Hello?” Her voice was shaky and she hated that Brian could see how much this was affecting her. I have two choices, do as he says and be miserable because I won’t be going to college but won’t get punished as much or ignore him and get the worst beating of my life and maybe not survive it.
She thought glumly as Tommy’s familiar voice floated down the phone at her. Would Tommy believe me if I told him what was happening? Of course he wouldn’t, he knows how much trouble you’ve been getting into, and he’ll just think you’re being difficult because you made it no secret that you didn’t like your uncle. The little voice said in the back of her head, strangely it was beginning to sound like her fathers’ voice.

“How are you?” Tommy interrupted her thoughts and she blinked back the beginning of tears. How am I? I am being abused by our uncle! Why did you leave me here with him? I thought you were supposed to protect me without our parents here? She wanted to scream at him.

“I’m fine.”

“Are you getting excited about college? I bet you and your friends are all applying to the same one.”

“Yeah about college…” She trailed off and looked into the cold grey eyes of her uncle as he tightened his grip on her wrist and she winced.

“I’ve decided not to go.”

“Not go where?”

“To college, I’m staying in Roswell.”

“What? Why? You’ve always been dead set on going to college, why have you changed your mind? Has something happened?”

Has something happened? She thought as her father’s voice spoke from the back for her mind, This is your chance to tell him, see if he’ll believe you, are you willing to risk it? If he doesn’t believe you, what will you do when your uncle comes after you? She glanced up into her uncles eyes and saw the intent there and she knew he’d hurt her if she opened her mouth.

“I’ve just thought about it a bit more and thought it would be better to learn everything about the restaurant since I’ll be taking it over in a few years.”

The pressure eased up on her wrist and she was able to talk without wincing.

“Ok but you can go to college and still have a couple of years after to learn everything about the restaurant. You don’t have to give up on your dream Liz.”

“I know but I’ve made my decision Tommy.”

“Liz…”

“Seriously, don’t start trying to convince me Tommy, I won’t change my mind.” She closed her eyes against the pain in her heart as she spoke to him and finalized her future into the care of her abusive uncle with no friends to take her mind off it.

*********************************************************************************************

Liz was seated at the table with Isabel eating lunch when Michael and Max sat down with them.

“Where’s Kyle?” Liz asked and Michael nodded and looked behind her,

“Hitting on the new girl, where else?”

Liz turned to see him standing very close to a red head who was so caught up in the attention Kyle was giving her that she didn’t noticed anything else.

“He disgusts me.” Isabel shuddered and returned to her lunch. Liz just laughed,

“He’s…”

“Disgusting? Repulsive? Stupid?” Isabel offered with hope in her blue eyes and everyone laughed at her as Liz shook her head,

“Unbelievable was what I was going for. I thought he was chasing Pam?”

“Obviously old news.” Max said quietly beside her and she turned to kiss him softly.

“Hey you.”

“Hi.” He kissed her again and Michael slammed his hand on the table, causing them to jump apart.

“No physical contact in front of the sibling.” He ordered and Max rolled his eyes,

“I see, so it’s different when I walked in on you and Daisy getting physical that time.”

“I’m older, so I get privileges.” He shrugged and Max stood up,

“Whatever, I’m going to get a soda, anyone want?”

“I’ll come with you, Kyle’s making me sick.” Isabel jumped up and they wandered off, leaving Michael and Liz alone.

“Hey Lizzie what’s with the watch?” He asked frowning, Liz never wore watches and now she was sporting a huge black thing on her wrist.

“Oh um…” She stalled for an excuse and finally settled for something stupid,

“I just…needed it today…to tell the…time.” His question had caught her off guard but she couldn’t very well show him the finger mark bruises that were on her wrist, courtesy of her uncle. Nice one Liz, he’ll really believe that.

“I see.” He murmured, what was going on with Liz? He suddenly grabbed her wrist with the watch on it and saw the pain go through her face.

“What’s wrong? Have you hurt yourself?” He wondered out loud, turning her wrist over to undo the watch. Liz pounced on the suggestion, he’ll ever believe you now, especially now since you’ve kept it a secret for a while.

“Yeah, I think I hurt myself, I’m not sure how it happened though.”

He pulled the watch away to reveal bruises looking suspiciously like finger marks.

His jaw tightened and Liz felt nervous, she could see he was mad.

“Is Max getting rough with you?” He asked, not liking that he was asking it but he needed to know. He wasn’t stupid, he knew they were finger marks so someone had grabbed her hard enough to bruise.

“What? No!” She denied quickly. This is getting way out of hand. She pulled her arm out of his grip and rubbed it softly.

“Liz, if someone is hurting you, then you need to tell me and if it‘s Max then I need to know.” He said angrily and Liz mistook his anger as being aimed at her.

“No, no one did, Max especially didn’t! I don’t really know how I got these.” She said quietly, feeling like crap for lying to him again.

“Lizzie…”

“Michael please…” She began but was interrupted when Max and Isabel sat back down again.

“What’s up?” Max asked when he felt the tension passing between Liz and Michael.

“I’ve just remembered that I need to go to the library, I’ll see you in class.” Liz said quickly as she gathered her things, I need to get away from here before I say something stupid. She thought as she avoided looking at anyone.

She turned and ran off just as Michael called out to her,

“Lizzie wait!” She ignored him and ran all the way to the girls bathroom. Locking herself inside she sagged against the door and tried to stop the tears threatening to fall. Michael suspects something still and I told the most pathetic excuses for lies. God what is wrong with me? They are my best friends, I should tell them. I need to tell them, I can’t deal with this anymore. She ran her hands over her face and wiped away the few tears that had begun to fall.

“What did you say to her?” Max accused his brother as they watched Liz run off.

Michael stayed silent, do I tell Max about it? He’d worry but maybe he’s thinking the same thing.

“Michael?”

“Have you noticed anything weird with Liz lately?” He asked looking at his brother.

“By weird you mean…?”

“Like she’s hiding something?”

“She’s grieving for her parent’s, that’s why she’s acting different.” Isabel piped up, confused by the serious look in Michael’s eyes. Truth was that Isabel had noticed a change in Liz’s personality, something she assumed was connected to loosing her parents but it seemed that Michael was on to something.

“She’s got this bruise on her wrist, it looks like finger marks.” He muttered quietly and Max frowned, finger shaped bruises? How would she get those? Michael continued,

“I might be completely wrong but she seems to be covering herself up all the time and this isn’t the first time she’s appeared with bruises. You remember her face that time?”

“She said that was an accident.”

“Then why was she avoiding us all morning? Then when I ask her about the bruises today she got all nervous saying that she wasn’t sure how she got them.”

“She had a bruise on her side at prom, I saw it but she just told me she was clumsy.” Max said and Michael wiped a hand over his face.

“When has Liz ever been clumsy and why is she bruising all of a sudden?”

“She hides her body when she’s getting changed in the locker room.” Isabel mentioned then, are they suggesting what I think they’re suggesting? Liz would have told us if anything was happening to her, wouldn’t she?

“I think someone is hurting her.” Michael said quickly and the anger that flashed through Max’s face made Michael wish he hadn’t told anyone just yet.

“Do you think it could be her uncle?” Isabel asked after thinking about it.

“I’m not sure, they can’t stand to be anywhere near each other, let alone long enough for him to do something like that...” Max replied, how did he not put two and two together and realise that Liz was hurt, he’d seen the bruise but had believed her. Surely she would say something to him if something like this was happening.

“So what do we do?” Isabel asked Michael and he shrugged,

“Liz won’t talk about it so I think I’ll ask dad what we can do to help.” He suggested and hoped that they got to the bottom of it soon.

“Liz what are you doing here?” Max was surprised to see his girlfriend standing in his bedroom doorway.

“I came to see you silly.” She teased as she made her way over to his bed and sat down and crossed her legs underneath her.

It had been one week since her conversation with Tommy on the phone where she had told him she wasn’t going to college. She hadn’t told any of her friends because she knew what a big deal it was for them all to go to the same college, truth be told, she couldn’t stand the thought of them moving on without her and making new friends without her. Sure she’d still have Kyle here in Roswell but she’d loose Isabel, Max and Michael. Isabel would get a new best friend and Max may even get a new girlfriend because she couldn’t see them surviving a long distance relationship. As much as she didn’t want to disappoint them she had to tell someone, it was eating away at her, every time they bought the subject up she tried to act with all the enthusiasm she had before but it was killing her inside. She had to tell someone and that someone for her was Max.

“Are you ok?” He asked, sitting up next to Liz.
He was nervous about talking to her, after the conversation he and Michael had had with their dad about Liz’s bruises, things were a bit difficult. Brian Parker had been approached by his dad and the Sheriff, where they had explained that they were concerned about her as of late. According to Brian, Liz had been particularly difficult to look after, always arguing and trying to pick fights with him, he had said that he was worried about her himself because he was sure she was self harming. Max hadn’t wanted to believe him but Liz had lost her parent’s in one night, her brother had left her and she had been causing trouble quite a bit, even if she had recently calmed down. His dad had decided that they would arrange for her to see a counsellor to deal with her grief and hopefully find out what had been going on. Michael and Max were under strict instructions not to say anything to Liz until a counsellor session had been arranged.

He looked at his girlfriend as she tucked a stray piece of her hair behind her ear, he loved how her hair was, she had recently had it cut into choppy layers where it sat above her shoulders and he thought it made the cutest ponytail when she tied it back. He recognized her nervous habit as what it was when she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“There’s something we need to talk about.” She began, why this was so hard to do, this was Max, and he would understand even if he didn’t like it. Because you know you’re lying to him once again and that’s all your relationship is built on. Her dads’ voice reasoned in her mind.

“Okay.”

“Actually this is something I need to tell you and you need to listen.” She corrected, telling him they needed to talk about it would imply that he could change her mind and as much as she wanted to let him, she knew she couldn’t change her mind now.

Max frowned at her, what is going on, is she breaking up with me? She hadn’t given any indication that she wasn’t happy with their relationship so he wondered what it could be…unless she was about to tell him what was going on with her.

“Okay, I’m listening.”

“There’s no easy way to say this and I know you’ll be angry at first but this is really what I think is best for me so please don’t be mad straight away…”

Max stopped Liz’s rambling with a hand on her arm,

“Baby, what are you talking about?” He asked worried, please don’t be breaking up with me, I couldn’t handle not being with you. He silently begged her.

“I’ve changed my mind about college.” She held her breath, watching his face as he thought about her words, then when he nodded she waited for what he was about to say.

“Okay, so you’ve changed your mind about where you want to go or what courses you’re going to take?”

“What? No…I mean I’m…” She sighed, this was ridiculous, just spit it out Liz!

“I’m not going to college Max.”

The confusion written over his face quickly changed to shock as his amber eyes widened and he opened his mouth to speak several times.

“I don’t…what…why? Where’s this coming from Liz?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I didn’t say anything because I knew you would be upset but it’s what I think is best for me.”

“Throwing away your career is what’s best for you? I don’t believe that you honestly think that!” Max was angry; she could see it in the way his hands clenched on his knees.

“No I just think that with everything that’s happened, I should stay and learn everything I can about the restaurant, it’ll be mine in a few years and I want to be ready…”

“Yeah in a few years, you could have gone to college and come back before it was turned over to you! I really think you’re rushing into this Liz…”

“Max, it’s what my parents’ wanted; they want me to have the restaurant…” He cut her off.

“Yeah they also left you money for college so they obviously wanted you to go there first! I can’t believe you’re being this…this…reckless, this is your future you’re going to ruin.”

“Don’t talk about me like I’m an idiot and can’t make decisions for myself Max!” She snapped angrily, how dare he tell me that I’m being reckless, he has no idea what I’m going through, that I know what this is going to cost me.

“Well you’re being an idiot Liz and as your boyfriend I’m not going to let you make a huge decision like this without thinking it through properly, you should speak to Tommy and your uncle about this.”

Max argued back, trying to keep his voice down, as much as he hated arguing with Liz he wasn’t going to let her ruin her life just because she felt that she owed it to her parents.

“I have spoken to them and they support me! If you feel that way and you can’t support my decision then don’t be my boyfriend anymore!” She jumped up from the bed and walked out of his room.

All the way down the stairs she couldn’t believe what she had said, don’t let me go that easily Max, I didn’t mean it, come after me! She screamed in her mind as she neared the front door. Glancing behind her she didn’t see any sign of Max, sighing, she opened the door and left.

Max stared at where Liz had disappeared out of his bedroom door. Picking his phone up he dialled a familiar number and waited.

“Hello?”

“It’s Max.”

“Hey what’s up?” Isabel’s perky voice replied on the other end.

“Did you know Liz has decided not to go to college?”

The silence that greeted him confirmed that he was the first to know.

“She was just here and we had a fight about it.” He confessed and he heard a sigh,

“What happened?
*********************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 11 3/8/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi all!! I'm SOOOOO sorry for the long wait for the next part. I never intended for it to be this long but unfortunately I had an accident and couldn't check this next part for errors etc...ahh how I wished I had a beta to do it for me lol!!
:lol: So...that's my excuse for making you wait so long, that and the fact that I was in the wonderful world of painkillers for two weeks so wasn't in the best frame of mind...anyhow....thanks for all the bumps and feedback, I won't go into any feedback right now, I'll give you the next part and hope you guys are still enjoying this! :?

Chapter 12

Liz sat on a bench in the park, it was always her favourite place when she was growing up and it helped her to think clearer when she was there. She had been there for the last hour and guessed that by now Max had called their friends to tell them her decision.

“I thought I’d find you here.”

Isabel’s soft voice startled Liz as she sat next to her, stretching her long legs out in front of her.

“Are you okay?” She asked Liz who snorted,

“Get to the point Izzy, Max called you didn’t he?”

“Yeah, he’s worried about you.”

Isabel told her and wondered why Liz was all hostile all of a sudden, this wasn't like Liz, but then again most recently, Liz hadn't been herself anyway.

“I don’t need people to be worried about me, I need people to support my choices, especially my boyfriend.”

Liz was angry and hated that she was taking that anger out on Isabel but Max’s reaction had pissed her off.

“I understand that but it’s just come out of no where Lizzie, we thought everything was set.”

“Well I’ve just sort of decided now.”

“Is that why you’ve been quiet when we’ve talked about it the last couple of weeks?”

Liz glanced at Isabel, her perfect features drawn up in concern for her and her long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail.

“You’ve noticed.”

“Of course, you’re my best friend Lizzie, how could I have not noticed? Why didn’t you say anything?”

The hurt was evident in her voice and Liz felt awful but inside she was thinking that Isabel still hadn't noticed something else that was going on with her so evidently they were the bestest best friends.

“I knew how upset you’d all be, we planned this and now I’m backing out and we’ll be separated. I guess I just didn’t want you guys to change your minds either.”

Isabel gave a nod and stared out over the park. Liz took her hand in her own.

“I’m sorry I didn’t say anything earlier, it’s the best thing for me right now, and I’m not ready to leave home yet so soon…”

There, she did it; she’d used her parents’ as an excuse to cover her lies, she was low. She felt low.

“Oh Lizzie, I understand, you don’t have to explain yourself to me. I am upset that you aren’t coming with us but I will support your choices one hundred percent!”

She grabbed Liz into a hug and Liz squeezed her eyes shut and tried to ignore the voice in the back of her head that kept shouting, coward, liar, coward, liar!

***********************************************************************************

Liz looked up from her book when she heard the tapping on her bedroom window. Max smiled shyly at her through the window as she got up and opened it.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to upset you earlier.”

He rushed out as he climbed through her window and stood facing her. She was dressed in a pair of old jeans and tank top and Max hadn’t seen anything more beautiful in his life.

“Say something.”

He coaxed gently, pleading with his eyes for her to forgive him.

“It wasn’t an easy decision Max.”

“I didn’t think it was.” He agreed.

“I don’t want to loose you or Michael or Isabel.”

She whispered, feeling a lump in her throat.

“You won’t.”

He stepped forward and lifted her face to look at him,

“I love you Max.”

She whispered again and he smiled,

“I love you too. Forgive me?”

He asked as he began closing the gap between them. She nodded as his lips brushed hers.

“That…was…intense…” Liz panted as they came down from their high. Max was resting lightly on top of her as he nodded; sweat shining on his face as he smiled down at Liz.

“Yeah…it was…”

He was cut off by Liz’s door opening and as Max quickly tried to pull the cover over Liz, she saw the murderous look in a pair of cold grey eyes as they took the scene in.

“Get out.”

Her uncle growled out at Max as he was making sure Liz was fully covered. She felt her blood run cold at the sound of his voice.

“Sir, I didn’t want…we…”

Max tried to explain but Brian took a step closer and snarled at Max,

“I said get out.”

He turned to Liz then and pointed at her,

“Make sure he leaves then get out into the living room.”

He stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Liz scrambled to get dressed, pulling a pair of jeans and a tank top on quickly as Max dressed himself.

“Max hurry up, I don’t want to get into any more trouble because you’re still here.”

She snapped and he looked at the terrified expression crossing her pretty face. Oh god, he's going to hit the roof.

“I’m sorry Liz, he never usually comes up here when he’s running down stairs, I checked before I came up.”

“It’s ok, really, he’s just mad, I’ll handle it.”

She assured him as she pushed him out the window, trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach. She was going to be punished for this.

“Call me later and let me know what happens.”

He kissed her quickly and she nodded,

“I’ll come over later, around eight?”

“Sure. I love you.”

Then he was gone and Liz turned to look at her bedroom door. It was now or never but there was no escaping what was about to happen.

She made her way into the living room and came face to face with her uncle, holding a beer bottle in one hand and swaying on the spot.

“I wonder if my brother knew he was raising a whore as a daughter?”

He said viciously and Liz tensed. Just ignore him like always she told herself as he began to stalk towards her.

“So you think you can whore yourself in my house?”

He snarled and she took a deep breath, let him think this is his house, if you talk back you’ll only make him worse.

“How many guys do you bring back here a week? Three? Four? More? You must be the school slut.”

He laughed at himself and Liz felt her anger rising.

“Well, I can’t blame you really; having a slut for a mother just proves that saying, ‘like mother like daughter’ huh?”

Liz’s head snapped up at the mention of her mother,

“Don’t you dare talk about my mother like that!”

She growled out, her anger rising through her body to bursting point.

He grabbed her throat quickly and she instinctively grabbed at his hand as he began squeezing.

“Don’t speak to me you whore!”

He shouted and she gasped for breath as he let go but the relief she felt was short lived when his hand swung back towards her and cracked against her cheek. Liz lifted her hand to her face as she stumbled and cried out when a fist connected to her stomach, causing her to double over in pain. She was pushed roughly to the ground and once on the floor he began to kick at her. Liz knew he wasn’t going to stop anytime soon because he wasn’t being careful of where he was hitting. He didn’t intend for Liz to be alive for people to notice what happened to her. The thought terrified her as she thought about never seeing her friends again. Curling up into a tight ball, she put her hands over her head and tried to separate herself from the body that was receiving the kicks. Just out last him, then you can get help.

Several minutes later they stopped and Liz felt like her whole body was on fire. She uncurled herself slowly, listening to try and pin point where he was standing, pulling up onto her hands and knees she felt her tears roll down her face.

Then she heard it, the sound of a belt being undone and she turned her head quickly to find him taking his belt off. Fear pounded through her body at the sight and she tried to crawl towards the door, a mantra forming in her head, got to get out, got to get out, got to get out… The sudden white hot pain that ripped across her back caused her to scream, then it came again and she collapsed onto her front as her uncle used his belt against her back. Don’t make this easy on him! Her dad’s voice shouted through her head and she nodded meekly. She forced herself to roll over and kicked out blindly, connecting with something. She heard a growl and she used the few seconds she had to pull herself up from the floor, as she straightened up a hand slapped across her face again and she fell back into the wall, feeling the blood drip from her lip.

Pulling herself up she opened her mouth to scream, someone has to hear me, she thought, but before she could the glass beer bottle her uncle has been drinking from, appeared from his side and smashed into her head. Liz’s world went black.
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 12 3/30/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

OK so I thought I'd be nice and post a part now, it's not as long as the other parts but it was done and I didn't want to make you wait ages for a longer part.
Although I have to say that I'm getting married soon so I don't have as much time to write as I used too, I especially am having trouble with keeping check for my mistakes and such so I apologise in advance!! :)
Feedback.
Natalie36 hmm yeah...
Alien_Friend Thanks and yes she is going to be broken inside and out I would imagine...who wouldn't.
keepsmiling7 well...aliens landed and....lol you didn't think I'd tell you before I posted did you? haha just kidding...you'll find out now
ken_r Thanks I think.... :?
raemac I am feeling much better thanks!! Yeah poor Liz.
Addicted2AmberEyes Thanks, everything is getting better. In reply to the comment on how Liz could be living this kind of life, many childrena nd teenagers live a life much worse, it's heartbreaking to know that.
tinie38 I agree
begonia9508 Sometimes it's not that easy. Thanks though.
L-J-L 76 Wow you don't hold back on the questions do you!! Um...some will be answered shortly...some you'll have to wait ages for.
Emz80m Thanks and your questions will be answered in this part and the next few parts.
roswell4life Well he thought she was ok, she wanted him to leave. Oh no you put an angry face up...don't be mad!!
roswell3053 Thankyou and you'll find out soon.
veronica Yeah sorry about that...at least you haven't had to wait long for the next part...lol

Chapter 13

“Have you tried calling her?”

Michael asked impatiently.

“Yeah three times now, there’s no answer.”

Max replied, he was worried; it had been over two hours ago since he had left Liz at home and he hadn’t heard from her.

“Well, maybe she’s grounded and isn’t allowed to answer the phone.”

Michael offered, trying to soothe Max’s concern.

“Yeah, he did catch you banging his niece after all, that’s definitely a grounding.”

Kyle added and Isabel swatted him,

“Shut up Kyle!”

“Well it’s true! What do you think dad would do to you if he caught you banging some guy in your room when he was home?”

Isabel couldn’t say anything to defend Max, Kyle was right, her dad would go crazy.

“Exactly, he’d get his gun out and kill the guy and you’d get grounded for life.”

Kyle used her silence as his point.

“She still should have been here by now; if she’d been grounded she’d have snuck out from her balcony.”

Max argued he felt that something was wrong; Liz wouldn’t just not turn up without any word. She’d at least call.

“Let’s give her fifteen minutes and if she’s not here by then, we’ll go over there.”

Michael reasoned and Isabel nodded,

“Yeah maybe she just got held up and is on her way now.”

Liz opened her eyes and saw the front door. She frowned and winced from the pain, what am I doing on the floor? She thought, then remembered what had happened and froze.

Where is he?

She listened and could hear a faint snoring from behind her. Lifting her head she closed her eyes against the pain and dizziness it caused. Taking a deep breath she opened her eyes and her gaze was immediately drawn to the blood on the floor where she’d been lying.

Lifting a hand to her head she felt the warm stickiness and when she pulled her hand away it was completely red. Fighting down the rising sickness she wiped her hand on her jeans and used the wall to pull herself up.

Everything ached and hurt.

She took another deep breath and felt the sharp pain from her ribs. She reached out and pulled the door open, not giving the apartment one last look, she had to get away.

She needed Max.

She slowly made her way down the steps on the side of the building, her whole body feeling disjointed and fighting the dizziness that kept making her vision blurry. She forced herself to walk faster, although she was stumbling more, as she made her way down the alley behind the restaurant that provided the short cut to Max’s.

All the way she struggled to stay conscious, her vision frequently going black from the pain everywhere. She could feel the gash in her head was still dripping with blood. The voice in her head the whole walk there said, don’t give up, you’re stronger than this, just a bit further and you’re free.

She stumbled along the road that lead to Max and Michael’s house and felt the battle to stay awake get harder and harder.

“Almost…there…got…to…keep…moving…Liz…I’m…strong…Max...soon…”

She mumbled as she neared the house. When she was closer she saw Isabel, Max and Michael standing at the end of the drive by Michael’s car talking. Max then turned and ran up the drive and disappeared inside. Jerking forward she shouted out to Isabel and Michael but it came out in a croak, she cleared her throat then tried again.

“Izzy, Michael!”

They turned and saw her stumbling towards them in the dark. Liz felt relief flood through her body as she tried to get to them quicker.

Michael shook his head. Max is going to love this, he’s here worrying about Liz and she’s out getting drunk. Were his thoughts as he called back to her,

“Liz are you drunk?”

“Michael…”

Liz called as she stepped into the light cast by a lamp post,

“Help…me…”

She whispered as she gave in to the dizziness and drowsy feeling fighting for control. The black veil fell over her eyes as the last thing she saw was the ground rising up to meet her.

************************************************************************************

“Oh god Michael!”

Isabel shouted as Liz slumped to the ground but not before the light showed them the blood covering her face and clothes.

Michael ran forward and knelt by Liz’s limp form,

“Shit, Liz…can you hear me…?”

He called to her as he leaned down to feel for a pulse and check she was breathing. Satisfied she was breathing but weakly, he lifted her up in his arms and called to Isabel who was rooted to the spot.

“Go get my parents and Max!”

She took off running up his drive and into the house as Michael followed quickly. Looking down at Liz he felt his anger rise inside,

“Jesus Liz, who would do this to you?” he whispered as he entered his house.

Isabel ran towards the house and once inside she screamed for help,

“Max! Philip, Diane, come quick!”

She heard Michael enter the house not long after her, god what’s happened to Liz, who would hurt her like this?Maybe she was attacked on the way over, maybe she was mugged or… she could finish that thought as her stomach turned and she almost lost her dinner.

As he cleared the doorway, Isabel was screaming for Diane and Philip and Max. Philip was the first to appear from the living room, frowning at Isabel but then his eyes landed on his eldest son carrying a body in his arms.

“Michael?”

He asked worried and Michael rushed up to him.

“It’s Liz, I don’t know what happened.” He explained and Philip visibly paled,

“Dear God.”

Then Diane and Max appeared at the same time from up stairs.

“What’s all the screaming about?”

Diane asked, and then she saw Philip and Michael and Liz.

Max froze, the body lying in his older brother’s arms wasn’t Liz, it couldn’t be, he tried to convince himself. Breaking out of his frozen state when he heard Michael say it was Liz he rushed down the stairs as Philip asked Diane to call an ambulance.

“What happened?”

He asked his brother as he hesitated with his hand hovering over Liz’s bloodied face. What had happened to Liz? Who had done this?

“I don’t know, she just appeared outside and collapsed.”

Michael replied as he followed his dad into the living room, laid Liz on the sofa and stepped back as Philip barked orders at Isabel to get some clean towels. Isabel ran off, worry etched across her face for her best friend, to get clean towels.

“Did she say anything?”

Max continued to question as he knelt down by his girlfriends’ limp body as his dad tried to clear her hair away from the gash in her head that was still oozing blood.

“Nothing.”

Michael replied again, his eyes never left Liz, lying helplessly in his living room even as his mind replayed the moment she stepped into the light and collapsed. She was suffering while they were sitting around, she was suffering when they could have been there to help stop it, and Michael couldn’t stop thinking that if they had just gone to find her…

“She must have said something, anything, like who did this to her?”

Max sounded frantic and angry all mixed into one, Michael understood where his brother was coming from but he didn’t know anything. If Liz had uttered one word about who had hurt her this badly then he’d have been out the door looking for them by now.

“Max she didn’t say anything! I don’t know anymore than you do!”

He snapped and Max’s face fell,

“Who could do this to her Mike?”

He moved his gaze back to Liz as Isabel raced into the room, handing the clean towels to Philip. He took them and held one against her head.

“They’re on their way. I called the sheriff too.”

Diane announced a few seconds later, moving behind her husband to look down at little Liz Parker, lying unconscious on her sofa.

“Will she be alright?”

Isabel’s voice sounded small and she was twisting her hair around her finger in a nervous habit as her gaze flicked back and forth from Liz to Philip and Diane.

“I don’t know how extensive her injuries are, we’ll have to wait for the ambulance.” Philip replied gravely.

“…you were fourteen and you pretended to be my girlfriend for that party because you knew that I felt uncomfortable going alone when I knew she‘d be there…”

Michael’s voice drifted through the fuzzy shell she was encased in as she began to become more aware of her surroundings.

“You just…wanted…an excuse…to date…me.”

She mumbled as she opened her eyes and found Michael staring at her incredulously.

She glanced around quickly, seeing the bare white walls and the machines beeping next to her bed. Hospital, she recognized the hospital room.

Michael looked up when he heard her rusty voice, she’s awake? He felt the relief sweep through him at the sight of her open eyes.
There you go, how was that?? :)
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 13 4/8/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hey all! So I have a small part for you! Are you surprised?! :lol:

Feedback!

ken_r Thanks and I do worry about all the children and teenagers out there that are subjected to this kind of...situation (for lack of a better word), it upsets me to know that this does happen. Thankyou for your honesty.
keepsmiling7 Thank you and I agree, Brian should go to jail.
Alien_Friend You'll find out in this part whether she tells the truth or not...I'm not giving anything away... Thanks for the congrats! I'm excited too! :lol:
L-J-L 76 LOL you always have a thousand questions and I won't answer them because it'll give stuff away...you'll just have to keep reading.
Natalie36 hmmm that's the big debate right now...will she tell or won't she...next part gives the answer!
Emz80m Yeah if I was reading this I guess I'd be throwing things at the computer and shouting at Liz to tell someone... :wink:
roswell3053 Yeah there's a reason he wasn't in the room with her when she woke up. Don't worry, it's not because he doesn't care, you see what I mean.
begonia9508 I get what you mean but sometimes it's harder to see what's right in front of your face when you don't want to believe it or think it's not possible. In this case, it's not because her friends don't care about her, it's just that it's the last imaginable thing they could think that could happen to her. They're so busy trying to protect her and help her that they aren't see what's happening behind closed doors...make sense? I hope that did? Thanks anyway!
raemac Thanks! Yeah you could assume that is what would happen...not that I'd tell if you were right of course but a great guess...you'll find out in this next part if you're right.

Thanks for all the great feedback, I hope you guys are still enjoying it!!

Chapter 14

“Lizzie? How are you feeling?”

“Sore.”

Her throat felt dry but all she could think about was that she was alive.

“I’ll go get the doctor, hang on.”

He stood up, releasing her hand and just as he began to turn away, he turned back, leaned down and kissed her forehead softly,

“I’m so happy you’re…awake.”

Then he left.

She frowned, did he mean to say alive? Was she that close? The thought settled inside her with a cold feeling, had she almost died? Did he almost kill her? Neither thought was making her feel better but she was relieved from thinking any more when someone opened the door.

“Max all we’re saying is that you’re exhausted and need some sleep. You’ve been here all night waiting, taking a couple of hours to go home and get some rest isn’t going to change anything. She’ll be fine, we will stay with her and if anything changes then we’ll call you.”

Diane argued with her son in the waiting room.

“Mum she’s my girlfriend, I’m not going to leave her, I can sleep later.”

Max argued back, he knew his mother was just looking out for him but he wouldn’t leave Liz.
The only reason he had left her hospital room is because his father had threatened to forcfully remove him if he didn’t take a break. It had taken that and Michael to promise not to leave her side for him to agree to a short break, then his mother had ambushed him in the waiting room.

“What if she’s still unconscious later Max? You’ll just sleep tomorrow? It’s always going to be later Max, you aren’t going to be able to help her when she wakes up if you’re passed out from exhaustion.”

Diane tried to make him see sense but he was being stubborn.

Max opened his mouth to argue again when Michael skidded to a stop outside the waiting room.

“She’s awake.”

“What?”

Max said dumbly, his mind not catching up and putting two and two together.

“Liz, she’s awake.”

Michael repeated and smiled at him. He knew how worried his brother had been about Liz and was glad she’d woken up because he wasn’t sure how much more waiting Max could take.

Max began to jog out of the room, following Michael towards Liz’s room. As they got to the door, the doctor and Sheriff Valenti were talking.

“She’s awake? Can I see her?”

Max begged, not caring how he sounded, he just needed to see her. The doctor gave a tight smile but held her hand up.

“I don’t think she’s going to be ready for visitors straight away, I’d like to check her over and the Sheriff has some questions for…”

“But she’ll be upset, she’ll need me! I can help her.”

Max argued and his dad put a hand on his shoulder,

“Let the doctor do her thing Max. Just wait a few minutes.”

Max whirled around to face his dad, angry that he didn’t see how important it was for him to be there for Liz.

He’d failed her once already.

“Wait a few minutes? That’s all I’ve been doing and the one time I leave her, she wakes up! She’s going to want me in there! I need to be in there!”

As he was arguing with his dad he didn’t notice the doctor and Sheriff quickly and quietly enter the room without him.

There was the sound of arguing outside her door, then a doctor walked in with Sheriff Valenti, they closed the door behind them.

“Elizabeth, I’m Doctor Collins, how are you feeling?”

“Sore.”

She mumbled and Sheriff Valenti, Jim, stepped forward.

“Liz, I need to know a few things ok?”

He waited for her to nod her head and when she did he took a deep breath.

“Do you remember what happened?”

She simply nodded, feeling her breathing become quick from knowing where he was going with the questions.

“Do you know who did this to you?”

He asked quietly and she closed her eyes to keep any tears from falling as she nodded.

“Who did this to you Liz?”

“I can’t...”

She whispered, avoiding his eyes, if her uncle had meant to kill her then he would be pissed when he realised she was ok. Jim sat down next to her bed and ran a hand over his face.

“Lizzie, listen to me, you don’t have to worry about anything anymore, we’re going to keep you safe. I am going to keep you safe so this never happens again. Do you understand me?”

She nodded and he continued.

“I can’t keep you safe unless I know who did this to you though, do you understand that? I need to know who did this so I can deal with it. You don’t have to be afraid anymore. Please Lizzie, let me take care of you like your parents’ would have wanted.”

Maybe it was the desperation in his familiar eyes or the mention of her parents or the undeniable need of wanting this whole thing to be over, but Liz found herself looking into his eyes and knowing he would keep her safe.

“It…it was…my…it was my uncle.”

She whispered and saw the anger flash in his eyes before he sat up straight and gave her hand a squeeze. She felt like the whole world had been lifted off her shoulders. She was free from him now.

“Thank you Liz. I just need to ask you a few more things.”

And so the questions began. After Liz had collapsed and Diane had called an ambulance, Jim was called, and when he’d left the Evan’s as Liz was being transferred into the ambulance he’d gone straight to the restaurant to inform Brian Parker. Jim had already known who had done it, he’d just wanted Liz to admit it out loud for herself. From the vague details supplied by Jim, he’d let himself into the apartment above the restaurant and found Brian asleep on the chair in the living room with blood on him. He’d seen the blood on the carpet where she’d been unconscious and had seen all the evidence he‘d needed. That was all he’d tell her.

Nearly an hour later Liz was about to come face to face with her friends but first had to see Diane and Philip.
Diane fussed over her as Philip stared, worry etching his aged face,

“Liz, how are you feeling?” He asked quietly.

“A bit sore but okay I think.”

She avoided making eye contact with them, they think I deserve it, I know they do, she thought to herself as they cast glances at each other over her head.

“Everyone is really worried about you sweetheart.”

Diane added, hoping the mention of her friends would perk her up a bit.

“Are they here?”

“Yes, they’re waiting outside.”

Liz wanted to see the familiar faces of her friends but was scared of the reaction she was going to get from them.

“I’ll go get them.”

Diane left the room.

The secret was out, Jim now knew she had been physically abused by her uncle and she assumed her friends knew too. Now all she had to do was survive their questions, in truth, she’d much prefer to have another round of questions by the Sheriff than face the accusing stares of her friends.

OK so that's where I'm leaving it for now, i know it's short but it was the only place I could stop it without it being way longer than normal.
I'll give you guys something to try and figure out for the next part...when she sees her friends, one will go balistic, one will be angry and hurt, one will be understanding and the other won't give any emotion away at all. Want to take a guess at who will react in those ways? :D
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 14 4/16/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi all!! Got this new part done for you!!

Feedback

roswell3053 LOL I should have known someone would quote that!! Thanks.
Alien_Friend Thanks for trying to work it out!! You got two right but I won't tell you which two!! Thanks.
Natalie36 Don't forget that Maria, Alex and Tess aren't in it yet.
keepsmiling7 I'm glad you're glad. Maybe she's afraid of how they'll see her now, or if they'll blame her...don't forget she's in a very messed up state right now.
begonia9508 I knew you'd be glad she finally told them who did it! Yes you're right, the pictures that the sheriff undoubtedly took will be enough proof with her confirming everything.
Emz80m Thanks
L-J-L 76 Lots of questions again huh?
Blink1lit I'm hoping that's a good 'holy crap!' LOL!!

Chapter 15

They gathered about her bed, Michael stayed back running his hands through his brown hair, Kyle stood next to Isabel just in front of Michael, the tears evident on Isabel’s pretty face as she twisted her hands. Max came to stand closer to her bed but not too close. She couldn’t tell what he was thinking. She slowly looked from one to the other and Kyle was the first to talk.

“What happened?”

She knew what he was talking about but she wasn’t ready, there wasn’t even a ‘how are you feeling?’ first.

“Can we talk about something else please?”

She asked uncertainly, hoping they’d take the hint and leave it alone. She squirmed on her bed, pain crawling up her back where she was hit with his belt. He won’t hurt me anymore, he’ll be kept away from me now, and it’s over. She told herself as her friends looked at her. Kyle’s eyes held a blazing anger as he watched her.

“No, we can’t talk about something else.”

He said through gritted teeth and Michael warned him,

“Leave it Kyle.”

He could see that if they pushed her into telling them then she’d just isolate herself off from any of them.

“I don’t want to talk about it Kyle.”

She said again and this time Kyle exploded,

“I DON’T GIVE A DAMN IF YOU DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, WE NEED TO KNOW BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON YOU NEVER TOLD ANY OF US WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WE NEED TO KNOW WHY!”

Liz stared at Kyle with wide eyes, Kyle was actually mad at her for not telling them, was this the same Kyle? Kyle who usually jokes everything serious away…that Kyle couldn’t possibly be the same Kyle shouting at her now.

“Easy Kyle.”

Philip warned and Kyle turned red,

“I can’t believe you never said anything, I just don’t understand how you…why couldn’t you say something? Didn’t you trust us?”

Liz glanced at Isabel and the hurt was evident in her eyes, she was upset that Liz had kept this a secret too. Max’s gaze was empty.

“I trust you…I just…believed him when he said you guys wouldn’t have believed me.”

She admitted, tears forming in her eyes.

“So you listened to him rather than tell us, you know us better than that Liz, we would have…”

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell us Lizzie, we’re best friends, we would have helped you.”

Isabel chimed in, interrupting Kyle, Liz started to get annoyed. I wanted to tell you but you wouldn’t have believed me, I did deserve this because I’ve been a terrible daughter.

“What do you expect me to have said? ‘Oh by the way Izzy, my uncle uses me as his own personal punching bag every night.’ When should I have dropped that bombshell? You know, he was right, I did deserve it! I’ve been running around having a great time and not even acknowledging the fact that my parents are dead!”

Liz’s voice was rising and Isabel began to shake as tears trailed down her pale cheeks.

“You can’t mean that! You never deserved this and you aren’t my best friend if you’re thinking like that because my best friend never would have thought she’d deserved to almost be killed! You still could have told me.”

“When could I have told you Izzy? I’ve been avoiding the fact that they’re dead for weeks so when did I have a chance to realize that what was going on was wrong and that I should tell you?”

So she was lying, she had thought about telling them but Isabel was making her angry right now.

“You know what? I don’t know who you are anymore Liz, I thought you could tell me anything but obviously not, and using your parents’ deaths as an excuse is pathetic!”

Isabel’s cold words stung Liz but before she could say anything, Isabel fled from the room, her sobs echoing in hallway. Kyle turned to follow his sister and Max stepped forward.

“Just go.”

Liz whispered as she felt the tears threatening to fall.

“Liz…”

Max began but Liz turned away from him and raised her voice,

“I said go Max, just get out of here both of you.”

The tears fell down her face as she heard the retreating footsteps of Max and Michael, then the soft click of the door as they left. Breaking down into hysterical sobs she mentally kicked herself for treating them the way she did. What kind of a friend am I? They are the only thing I have left and I push them away.

“Sweetheart calm down.”

Diane soothed her and Liz shook her head,

“They hate me.”

“They don’t they’re just upset.”

“I don’t want them visiting me anymore.”

She tells her quietly. I’m becoming one big problem for them, they don’t need my messed up life to deal with, they’ve got lives of their own to get on with, starting with college, where I won’t be a part of it. It’ll be easier to just keep them away now.

“Liz…there’s no need…”

“I don’t want to see them anymore!” She said coldly then turned away from them.

“That wasn’t our Liz in there.”

Kyle spoke quietly on the way back from the hospital.

“How could she think that we wouldn’t help her?”

Isabel sobbed, why doesn’t my best friend trust me?

“Isabel, I don’t think it’s a matter of not thinking we’d help her, I think she’s genuinely confused right now. Her emotions are running high and she doesn’t know how she’s supposed to feel, we all know she hasn’t grieved for her parent’s properly yet, she’s just confused.”

Michael spoke soothingly and Max looked at his brother, since when did Michael get all shrink like on them?

“How did we not see that he was hurting her?”

Isabel sobbed again and Max reached over to rub her shoulder.

“We never doubted her when she told us they were caused by accidents, she’s never lied to us before, we weren’t to know.”

He reasoned, keep telling yourself Max, after seeing that bruise on her, you just ignored it because of what was going to happen between the two of you.

“I said some horrible things to her, she’s never going to forgive me.”

Isabel said quietly and no one answered her, in reality they were all beginning to see that their Liz was no longer there, instead was someone who was keeping secrets from them, and they didn’t know this person as well as they knew Lizzie Parker.

“Can I come in?”

Michael’s deep voice made Liz turn her head to look at him standing in the doorway.

“What are you doing here Michael?”

She turned her gaze back to the magazine in her lap.

“I came to see you.”

“I told your parents that…”

“…you didn’t want to see us, I know but I’m not letting you do this.”

He cut in as he pulled a chair next to her bed.

“What exactly am I doing?”

She raised her eyebrows at him as he leaned his elbows on the edge of her bed.

“You’re pushing us away and I’m not going to let you do it. We’re best friends, all of us, Max is your boyfriend, I’m not just going to sit here and let us all fall apart. We are here for you, you don’t even have to tell us what happened or what’s been happening but we’ll be here if you do.”

His tone left no room for argument and Liz found her eyes filled with tears again.

“I was so scared Michael and all I could think about was that I wouldn’t see any of you again.”

She whispered, not sure why she was telling him this but feeling better at having the words leave her mouth.
His eyes never left her face as she told him how scared she was, but she still couldn’t bring herself to tell him everything.

“You all hate me don’t you?”

She asked wearily and he sighed,

“We don’t hate you but we’re upset with you, especially Isabel. I think she blames herself a bit for not noticing that something was going on.”

“It’s not her fault, I didn’t want anyone to find out and I didn’t mean what I said to your parents. The last thing I want is to be alone right now.”

“Then tell them that.”

“What do you mean?”

“Call them, tell them you didn’t mean it and I’m sure they’ll forgive you.”

She nodded and he passed her the phone from the table beside her bed. Dialling the familiar number she waited until she heard his voice.

“Max it’s me.”
Want to guess how Max will react on the phone?? :twisted:
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 15 4/23/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys!! Thank you soooo much for all the feedback, it motivates me when I see all the replies!! :D
So I've written quite a bit ahead of the story so far and right now I have no idea when it's going to be stopped. So you'll be happy to know (or unhappy depending on whether you want it to go on longer.) that it's looking to be quite a long fic. :?

Feedback
Natalie36 :twisted: Yeah I know, getting good at it aren't I?
trulov Wow you're really mad! You'll find out how Max reacts in this next part, and I agree, they are probably angry because of their own guilt. Thanks for picking up on that.
keepsmiling7 You're right, she does need them righ now and I'm glad you picked up on the fact that she hasn't grieved yet.
Emz80m Thankyou. Yep they were a bit horrible, weren't they? Especially Kyle. Didn't particularly enjoy writing Kyle like that...
ken_r I agree, some times they do think that it is deserved, which is a very sad and lonely place to be.
begonia9508 Thanks! Finally someone who sees that her friends just didn't want to see what was happening.
roswell3053 On my way!! :D
roswell4life How do you think Liz would have reacted if they had all be all nice and sympathetic about it when she thinks she deserved the way she's been treated? I'm just curious because really, only Kyle and Isabel seemed to really pick on her, Kyle more so obviously. Michael and Max didn't say much if nothing at all, which could be perceived as worse, so how do you think she would have felt if they'd reacted differently? :)
Alien_Friend I'm glad you were happy with Michael. I like Michael as a more level headed person. Thanks.
L-J-L 76 :shock:

Previous Chapter
“Call them, tell them you didn’t mean it and I’m sure they’ll forgive you.”
She nodded and he passed her the phone from the table beside her bed. Dialling the familiar number she waited until she heard his voice.
“Max it’s me.”

Chapter 16

“Hi, are you alright?”

The uncertainty in his voice broke Liz’s heart, had she blown it with Max? Had she pushed him away too far for him to come back?

“I’m fine…actually no I’m not…I’m sorry I acted like that this morning.”

She waited as silence greeted her on the other end, after several long seconds she heard him sigh,

“It’s okay Liz, you’re under a lot of pressure, and I get it.”

“I didn’t mean to tell you to go away, it just…I didn’t want you to see me cry.”

“I’ve seen you cry loads of times.” He half joked and she smiled anyway,

“You know what I mean. I don’t…I mean…I don’t want to be alone.”

She sighed, admitting her feelings was harder than she thought.

“So…do you feel up to some company?”

Smiling into the phone she relaxed with relief.

“I’d love some.”

“I’ll be over in a minute; you want me to pick the others up on my way?”

“That would be great.”

“Right, see you in a bit.”

“Max? I love you.” She added at the end as they hung up.

Blowing out her breath she smiled a little at Michael,

“That went better than expected. Now for the hard part.”

She dialled Isabel’s number and waited as it rang.

“Hello?”

Kyle’s deep voice drifted down the phone. Liz felt her heart beat quicken, why was she feeling more nervous speaking to Kyle than Max?

“It’s Liz.”

“Hey how are you?”

He sounded normal, no tones of resentment sounded on his voice and Liz hoped he didn’t hate her.

“I feel like the worlds biggest idiot.”

She confided half joking but knowing that it was the best way to get a reaction out of Kyle.

“Well I didn’t want to be the one to tell you…”

He joked back, instantly making Liz feel at ease. Maybe being stuck in this town while everyone is at college won’t be so bad with Kyle still around. She thought with a small smile on her face.

“Well you know what they say…” She teased.

“What’s that?”

“It takes one to know one.”

Kyle’s laugh floated down the phone and Liz giggled back, liking how easy they fell back into their bantering.

“Ouch Liz and here’s me thinking you were calling to confess your undying love for me.”

“In your dreams Kyle.”

“So what are you calling for?”

“I’m calling to apologize, I’m sorry I acted the way I did Kyle.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

He sounded the same and Liz frowned, why isn’t anyone angry with me?

“But…”

“Seriously Liz, I understand that it was hard to tell anyone and I don’t know what that bastard did to make you feel that way but I wish we could have stopped it long before it got like this. If anything, I should be apologizing to you for shouting like I did, you weren’t ready to talk about it and I was pushing.”

“I guess that makes us even then?”

Liz tried to joke whilst trying to hold her tears back. What did I do to deserve such understanding friends like these? She thought but then her fathers’ voice echoed in her mind, you don’t deserve them, you’re piling your problems on them and they don’t want it, they’re just being tolerant of you.

“I guess so.”

Kyle agreed as Liz shook her head to shut the voice up, Michael frowned at her by her side.

“Can I talk to Izzy?”

“I’ll see if she’s around.”

Liz listened intently as Kyle moved around, and then heard some murmuring as Kyle covered the phone with his hand. A few seconds later he came back on.

“She’s gone for a walk.”

“Right, well can you ask her to call me when she gets in?”

Liz knew Kyle was lying, Isabel was there, and she just didn’t want to talk to Liz.

“Yeah I will.”

He promised and she said goodbye before hanging up. Isabel’s the only one who is showing how they really feel about you, she hates you. The voice whispered in the back of her mind.

“Hey.”

Max’s deep voice spoke up from the doorway, causing Liz to turn her head to look at him and Michael to turn around from his spot beside Liz’s bed.

Suddenly she didn’t know what to say and felt suddenly aware of her cuts and bruises on her face.

Max still couldn’t believe that his Liz was the same Liz that was staring back at him from the hospital bed. Her face had a bruise across one cheek and another on the other side across her jaw. Her lower lip was swollen and had a cut on it near the corner of her mouth; there was also a cut on her cheekbone just under her eye. The worst injury by far that was visible was the gash on her forehead that was bandaged up. He still couldn’t understand why he never noticed what was happening to her all this time, you’re supposed to protect her, she’s your girlfriend and you let this happen right under your nose!
Max cleared his throat from the tightness threatening to take hold as he strode towards her and stopped next to Michael, Kyle behind him.

“I’m so glad you’re alright.”

He admitted quietly and leaned down to brush the softest kiss across her lips, worrying he might hurt her. She watched him the entire time, afraid he’d then turn and leave but he stayed right where he was. She looked past him to Kyle and when he gave her a smile and a nod she then searched for someone else.

“Where’s Izzy?”

“Um…she didn’t want to come.”

Kyle admitted and Liz nodded, what did I expect? She hates me, of course she wouldn’t come. She tried putting on a brave face for them when really, inside she was in pieces at the thought of having lost her best friend.

“I feel like I’m invading their house!”

Liz protested to her brother, who had come back when Diane had called to tell him Liz was in hospital. He had never been so scared in his life, he had just lost both parents and he hadn’t thought that Liz would survive either.

She had and now he was trying to make her feel safe, he knew he should be the one to protect her but he hadn’t exactly done a good job so far and figured she was better off with the Evans’.

“They offered for you to live with them so don’t worry about it. I can’t exactly take you home with me.”

“That’s just it, you can, I’ll get a job…or you could transfer closer to here so I can still be with my friends.”

She knew she was whining but she didn’t care, he was her brother and she needed him to be close. She just didn’t understand why he couldn’t see that she needed him.

“Liz please, we’ve talked about this, I think it’s best for you to stay here for now so you don’t have to worry about getting a job just yet or transferring schools.”

“Tommy…”

“Elizabeth stop.”

He snapped and she turned away from him to look out of the window of her new bedroom. See, even your brother doesn’t want anything to do with you; even he doesn’t want to be around you.

Over the next few days Liz felt like pulling her hair out, Isabel avoided her at all costs and the guys, well they treated her like a china doll and Liz hated it. She understood their concern for her but she felt suffocated and awkward, especially when she would walk into a room and all conversation would stop.

They talked about her a lot.

The bruises started to fade slowly, the finger marks around her neck went faster than the ones on her face and her cuts healed nicely but too slow for Liz.

Everyone in town talked about her and pointed when they saw her, so Liz stopped going out. The boys saw her withdrawing and continuously tried to coax her out but she refused to go. She caught them talking about college a few times but they’d stop when she appeared, she knew they just didn’t want to be insensitive in front of her but she hated being treated like a child.

Liz was slowly suffocating in something she didn't know how to get out of.
******************************************************************************************

OK so I really couldn't write the last part how I wanted, it just wasn't working. Hope it didn't suck too much!!
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 16 5/2/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi all!! As I mentioned before, these next couple of months are going to be crazy for me, leading up to my wedding, so please be patient with my updating. I have got another 60 pages typed and almost ready to post so I should be able to drop an update and run but I may not be able to check through them as closely for mistakes etc. (here's me wishing once again that I had waited for a beta! lol) So I'm apologising in advance.

Um so someone offered to do a banner for this but now says that they can't do it so if anyone else wants to have a go, I'd love it. :D

Thanks for all the great feedback!!

Alien_Friend I'm glad you didn't think it sucked!! LOL!
ken_r OK so her brother is feeling guilty, toward the beginning he was jealous of her close relationship with her friends. Something that he didn't have, despite being her sibling. Now he's really all she has left and he left her with an abusive uncle, even though he didn't know that. He's feeling guilty that he left her in that situation when he's supposed to protect her. Now he just thinks she'll be better off with the Evans'. Hope that makes sense and it's addressed in this next part.
roswell3053 I agree, I think she does too!! Thanks!
Natalie36 Yep she would benefit from that.
L-J-L 76 ONce again :shock:
Emz80m Yep Isabel is being a harsh bitch. She's not always going to be like that though, it was merely emotions. Yeah her brother has made a turn around from the beginning, but he is blaming himself for her being hurt. It's explained a bit better in this next part.
begonia9508 Thanks, I'm happy you didn't think it sucked. Hmmm you may be right... :wink:
ythaler Thank you!
Blink1lit Thanks, here you go.

Chapter 17

The night before Tommy was due to leave to go back to university, Liz walked downstairs to get a glass of water when she heard talking from the living room. Sneaking towards the doorway, she listened intently as the voices became clearer.

“I just can’t leave her here alone.”

Max’s voice was full of sympathy.

“She won’t be alone son, she’ll be with us and Kyle will still be here.”

Philip’s deep voice replied back. Liz waited for the reply.

“It’s not the point, she’s in a vulnerable state right now, and I just don’t think she can handle anyone else leaving right now.”

“So this is my fault because I’m going back to school?”

Tommy’s angry voice sounded closer than the others.

“That’s not what I’m saying, you have to go back, we know that but she isn’t coping as it is and I just refuse to leave her to deal with it alone.”

Max sounded annoyed and Liz’s anger began to rise, what do they know about how I’m coping, no one’s asked me at all! They can’t just assume that I won’t be alright without them! She fumed inside but then her father’s voice answered, Max is only staying because he feels responsible for you, putting all your problems on them is causing them to put their lives on hold for you. Is that what you want? To be the one they blame for ruining their lives because they stayed for you? She frowned, no that’s not what I want but I haven’t asked them to stay for me!

Michael voice interrupted the voices arguing in her head,

“If you feel so strongly about this Max then maybe take a year out, stay with her and go next year.”

“This is ridiculous, you cannot put your career on hold, Liz will be fine here with us and you’ll see her when you come home!”

Diane’s voice reasoned to her sons. Liz had heard enough, she barged into the room causing all the occupants to jump at her sudden appearance.

“What’s going on?“

She asked quietly and everyone looked at everyone else. Tommy answered,

“Not much, what are you doing out of bed?”

“I heard arguing.”

She replied and they all looked guiltily away.

“We weren’t arguing, what did you hear?”

Tommy asked again and she looked over at Michael and Max.

“Not much, something about college.”

She gave a shrug, pretending that she hadn’t heard any of the conversation. If that’s how they want to play it then fine, two can play at this game.

“We were discussing what you were going to do when I go back to school.”

He lied and she tried to mask the hurt. Your brother is lying to you, he doesn’t want you to know anything. He’s just trying to control you.

Tommy felt low for lying to his sister, it was the last thing he wanted to do but he didn't want to upset her. She was already in this situation because of him, because he had left her alone with their uncle. Some big brother he was.

“You don’t need to discuss me, I can take care of myself!” She replied hotly.

“Liz don’t get so worked up, maybe you should go back to bed and get some rest.”

Tommy said soothingly but Liz shook her head.

“I’m fine! Stop treating me like a child.” She snapped.

“Liz come on, we've talked about not working yourself up…"

Tommy tried again and Liz glared at him.

"Stop it, just stop, I can't take this anymore! You want to know what’s getting me worked up? You leaving me! You don't care how it's making me feel, no, you just care about going back to school!"

She felt her voice rising but couldn't stop it. Just ask him to stay! The voice screamed but her father's voice once again argued, yeah and make him hate you even more, make him give up his career for you just so you can feel safe.

"Liz I have no choice! I have to go back, I have responsibilities there!"

Tommy all but shouted at her, loosing his temper, why was she making this harder than it had to be, she'd be fine with the Evans', much better than with him.

"What about me? I'm your responsibility now!"

She screamed, feeling a tear slip down her face. She wiped at it angrily and Max spoke up softly from across the room.

"Liz you won't be alone, I'll be here with you."

She snorted and glared at him, shaking her head.

"You're only with me out of pity..."

She began and saw the hurt flicker across his amber eyes as Michael stepped forward,

"Liz that's enough, listen to what you're saying! We're all here for you and Max certainly isn't with you out of pity, what gave you that stupid idea?"

She could see he was getting mad with her and all logic screamed at her to shut up but she couldn't stop. All the months of pent up anger and resentment for herself came spewing out of her mouth at an alarming rate.

"Here for me? You've all been busy making plans to go to college and I'm going to be stuck here alone! You all pity me, poor Lizzie lost her parents' and was abused by her uncle and now can't go to college because it's too late!"

She paused and saw the guilty expressions on their faces, she'd hit the nail on the head with that last statement, to some extent that is what they'd been thinking at some point and it made her furious.

"Well you know what? I don't want or need your pity!"

She turned and raced out of the door, making a stop to pull a jacket and shoes on before pulling the front door open and jogging out into the night, as fast as her healing body would allow her.

After several minutes of jogging she looked around to see that she was running through the cemetery. Stopping in front of two graves she tried to catch her breath as tears stung her eyes. Kneeling down in front of them she shook her head as tears left hot trails down her face.

"I can't handle this anymore, I need to go, I need...I need to leave...now!"

She sobbed openly at the two stones in front of her.

"I can't stand...to hold...everyone back...but I...don't want...to be left...here alone. I can't handle the stares...whispers from...everyone...they know what...h-happened...I just need you back...I ne-need my parents...I need you!"

She heard her voice rising and found that she was angry at herself for being this vulnerable but mostly at her parents for leaving her alone like this.

"Why did you have...to leave me here...all alone? It's not fair...that you died...I need you and you said...you said you'd...always be there for me! Well I need you now so where...are you...?"

She stopped her shouting when she heard the soft footsteps behind her, turning around slightly she spotted the familiar figures of Max and Michael.

When Liz had left the room, Max sighed, he knew she was hurting and he was trying to make her feel better but it was all backfiring. She thought he didn't want to be with her and was with her for the wrong reasons, which couldn't be further from the truth. He and Michael offered to go talk to her when the front door slammed shut and Tommy had let them go after her. He knew she was more angry with Tommy right now than with any of them.
They'd followed her into the cemetery but hung back as she began to cry and talk to her parents' graves. Max saw that she needed this time since it was the first time since the funeral that she had been here. Michael felt uncomfortable watching Liz break down right before him, she didn't like to been seen like this and if she knew that they had witnessed the whole thing, she'd be mad as hell. So they waited for a few minutes out of hearing range but when she had started yelling they'd walked towards her, worried that she was doing more damage than good to her already fragile state.
Max knelt down beside her, put a hand on her shaking shoulder and whispered to her,

"Lizzie, you aren't alone, and once you stop grieving you'll see that you aren't."

Liz twisted away from him.

"That's the problem Max! I can't stop grieving, I won't ever stop grieving! I just want to be with them, I can't live without them, I just want to die!"

She sobbed harder as Max and Michael shared a shocked look. Both knew right then that Liz had been hiding her true feelings from them ever since it had started and she was worse than they'd thought. They both knew that they'd not be leaving her when she was like this, Max for certain knew he'd never be able to live with himself if he left her here now to go to college.

After a few minutes of stunned silence from the boys, Liz got her breathing under control and stood up, dusting her knees off as she went. Silently and avoiding their eyes she started the walk back to the house and all the way there the boys remained in a sullen silence whilst Liz made her choice in her head on what she was going to do next.

Liz finished piling the clothes she needed into her bag and grabbed a few other bits to shove in with the clothes. She wasn't taking a lot, just enough to keep her going for a few weeks, she zipped the bag up and pulled the letters out from under her pillow.

There were six white envelopes with a name printed neatly on each. Max, Michael, Isabel, Kyle, Tommy and Philip and Diane.

She took a deep breath as she opened her door quietly and looked out into the hall. No one was up, she was sure of that and since it was the very early hours of the morning, she knew no one would be likely to wake up any time soon. She placed her bags outside her bedroom door and crept down the hall, opening the very last door and creeping inside.

Michael lay on his stomach with his arms acting as pillows for his head. She watched him for a few seconds, taking in every curve of his face to remember him by, he was more like a brother to her than anything else and she'd miss his protectiveness for certain. She placed the envelope on his bedside table and snuck out again pausing at the door to blow him a kiss and whisper.

"Goodbye Michael, I love you."

She then made her way into the other guest room and said her goodbye to Tommy, leaving his letter next to his alarm clock.

Then she entered the room next to hers, and sighed, this was the hardest person she'd be leaving.
Max was asleep on his back, covers kicked off and only wearing his boxer shorts, he looked so peaceful snoring lightly. Liz felt the tears in her eyes as she place the envelope onto the pillow next to his head.

She leaned down and kissed him lightly on the lips, being careful not to wake him. Closing her eyes against the tears threatening to spill she let her lips linger lightly on his for longer than she had meant to. How am I supposed to live without him? I love him so why am I leaving him? She thought as she pulled away, because he's better off without you, the other voice argued in her head as she pulled her lips away and looked at his face in the dark.

"I love you so much Max."

She whispered and then left the room without glancing back.
She picked her bags up on her way to the stairs and carefully walked down them, pausing by the front door, she laid another envelope on the table with the telephone and let herself out.
She had called ahead for a taxi to pick her up at the end of the road and it was waiting for her as she ran towards it. Jumping in she gave the driver his instructions and closed her eyes against the urge to look back at the house.

A few minutes later the driver pulled up in front of Kyle and Isabel's house, jumping out she quickly slipped the two letters into the mail box and jumped back into the taxi. 10 Minutes later she was watching Roswell's lights growing smaller and fading as she got further away.

She sighed, this is it, I'm gone and I'm not going back. Ever. She thought as she felt the tension ease from her shoulders, knowing that they'd be forced to move on without her and would be saved from the mess her life was destined to become.
Max was jolted awake by the voice of his brother.

"Max get up now! She's gone!"

His older brother shouted and Max sat up wiping his eyes.

"Mike, what are you shouting about?"

"It's Liz, she's gone."

Michael said again to his brother, why wasn't it getting through Max's head, Liz is gone and we need to find her now.

"What do you mean? Where's she gone?"

Max was a bit more alert and he was recognising the alarm in Michael's voice. What was Michael going on about? Liz had gone where?

"She's gone, Max, I don't know where she is. Read this."

He thrust a piece of paper into Max's hand and dread washed over him in cold waves. He ripped the letter open and read,

Dearest Max,
If you're reading this then you know I'm gone now and I know you'll be worried about me. Please don't be, I'll be fine.
I can't handle being around anyone anymore, especially after everything that has happened, it's not fair on you and it's not fair on me.
You all deserve better than what I can give you, especially you Max, you deserve a girlfriend who can love you with no doubts that you love her back and right now, I'm not that girl. I'm not saying that I don't love you because I do and I always will but you feel guilty for everything that I've been through and that is not a good place to be when you're in a relationship.
I bet you'll blame yourself for my leaving now but I do not intend for you to feel that way, I am in no way blaming you Max. You've been nothing but wonderful and I was so lucky to have had you as long as I did.
I'm moving on now and I don't know if I'll be able to face you again, even after I deal with my demons but please don't look for me, you won't find me and it would just cause everyone more pain.
You'll always be in my heart.
I love you.
Lizzie.
xxx

Max looked up at his brother, seeing the concern written all over his face.

"Oh god Michael, where is she? What have I done?"

So how was that?? Understand her brother a bit better now? It's all just one great big guilt fest huh?
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 17 5/12/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi all! Thanks for being patient, here's a new part!!

Feedback!

ken_r I understand what you're saying. Guilt isn't always rational or something that can be easily understood. Thankyou.
roswell3053 Yeah this is just a way for Liz to deal with it, as you said, everyone deals differently. Thanks though.
begonia9508 Yep, this is just what Liz needs, at least she knows what she needs in order to find herself again, some people don't always get that insight. Of course Max wouldn't agree with the letter, he doesn't want Liz to leave...maybe he'll find her?? Maybe not?? :wink: Thankyou, I'm glad you "love" this story, I love writing it so...
Alien_Friend Exactly!! They were going around in a guilt ridden circle!! Something had to happen. Yeah maybe Liz will heal when she's away, but who knows for sure? Oh I forgot, I do!! :lol: :wink: I get what you're saying about Tommy, but that's their relationship, they aren't close so it's harder for him to just tell her and vise versa. Thanks and yes I will be jumping in time, all will be explained in this next part.
Natalie36 it was wasn't it?
ythaler Thank you and even writing it, I got upset with the cemetery bit. Thanks so much! Hope you keep leaving me great feedback!
sylvia37 Hmmm I never noticed that the letter seemed like that, interesting point. I promise that is not what I had in mind when I had Liz write it. Interesting, no one has connected the summary and what was happening in this part of the story like you just did. Yes Max is obviously going to blame himself, that much we know. You'll just have to wait and see what happens to Max, if he did move past it or not. Thankyou for the great feedback Sylvia.

OK, so Liz has left and this next chapter jumps into their future. It's set seven years in the future when Liz is all grown up at twenty-five years old.
Just so you remember and don't get confused, as I wrote in the summary, Liz now goes by Iz or Izzy, not Liz or Lizzie or Elizabeth. So that's about it right now...hope you enjoy! Elle xxx

Chapter 18

Seven years later.

“Hey Izzy, are you alright?”

Maria shouted to heard over the pounding music as she stepped up close to her best friend. Izzy turned her dark brown eyes to her friend Maria and nodded.

“Sorry, I was just thinking.”

She replied as she poured another drink into a glass and handed it to the customer.

I was just thinking that it’s been exactly seven years since my parent’s died and seven years since I left my friends and brother and changed my name so I couldn’t be found. Although, I can’t tell you any of that because I haven’t told anyone, anything, about my old life so I just have to keep it to myself. She thought silently to herself and smiled brightly at Maria who frowned in question.

“Seriously I’m fine.”

She assured her friend as she moved to the back of her bar to clean some of the bottles away.

Izzy Hudson, formally known as Liz Parker sighed, she wished she could just tell Maria everything about her past but to tell Maria would mean she’d have to face a past she’d worked hard to forget. She just wasn’t ready to do that any time in the near future.

It was a busy night at ‘Pride’, she and Stu, her other best friend, owned the nightclub together. It was now one of the busiest nightclubs around and she loved every minute of it. Walking over to the door leading to the stock room she was stopped by Stu, his light blonde hair falling into his intense green eyes as he smiled at her.

“Darlin’ you have a stalker at the bar.”

He drawled with his southern accent. Deliberately not turning around she rolled her eyes.

“Really and how did you figure that out?”

“He’s been staring at you since he got here and I mean he hasn’t stopped looking at you.”

“Well I hope he likes the view because he’s not getting any closer.”

She laughed as he rolled his eyes at her before disappearing into the stock room. A while later she emerged from the room with several bottles to replace the empty ones, and as she put them out she danced to a particular song that she loved which the DJ had put on.

She felt a hand on her back and seconds later Stu’s husky voice sounded in her ear.

“Your stalker reckons he knows you and wants to talk to you.”

She turned her head to shout in his ear.

“Knows me from where?”

“He said he knew you when you were younger.”

“If he knows me then he’ll be able to tell you my full name.”

She replied a little uneasy, who could he be?
She quickly brushed off the idea that it was one of her friends; they hadn’t found her in seven years so they certainly wouldn’t find her now, and it was probably some guy wanting to get laid. He couldn’t possibly know my name. She assured herself.

A minute later Stu returned as Izzy was filling up the ice bucket.

“So he’s a complete crazy person honey.”

He shouted and she groaned at him.

“Do I need to get security again?”

“Maybe, he reckons your name is Elizabeth Parker and I told him he had the wrong girl.”

Izzy’s head shot up and stared at Stu, did he just say Elizabeth Parker?

She spun around and searched the occupants at the bar, scanning each face to see if she knew any of them. Then her frantic gaze settled on a familiar face, an older looking face but a familiar face none-the-less.

“I’ll take care of it.”

She told Stu and walked towards the person, taking deep breaths as she went to try and stop her shaking.

“Liz?” He said loudly and she gave him a tight smile.

“Michael.”

She replied curtly, looking into his green eyes, he looked good with his longer brown hair and he seemed taller somehow. The look in his eyes wasn’t anger, as she’d expected, but a look of relief.

“What are you doing here?”

She asked and he glanced around them,

“Can we go somewhere to talk?”

“I’m working.”

“What time do you finish?”

“At two.”

“I’ll meet you outside?”

“Sure.”

She reluctantly agreed, she knew she shouldn’t let him get close, she’d worked hard to separate herself from them all those years ago and seeing Michael in front of her now meant she was one step closer to her old life.

“I’ll see you then.”

He replied and moved away from the bar. For the rest of the night she caught glimpses of Michael standing with a crowd near to the bar, he kept looking at her and she had the feeling that he was making sure she didn’t disappear again.

When all the customers were kicked out at 2am she told Maria and Stu that she had to meet someone.

“The stalker?” Stu asked incredulously.

“Yeah, turns out he’s an old friend; I’ll see you back home later though.”

She referred to the apartment she shared with Stu.

“OK, be careful though and call if you need anything.”

He replied, kissing her on the forehead as she pulled her jacket on.

“I will.”

She kissed Maria on the cheek then walked outside.

Michael couldn’t believe it, he had been in town visiting some friends from college and they’d suggested the bar but he never thought for a second that he would run into someone from his past.
Standing at the bar, waiting for a drink he saw her serving someone at the other end, it was just a quick view of her face but he had then leaned on the bar to get a better look because she looked very familiar to him. He almost hadn’t believed it at first, he couldn’t be seeing Liz Parker here because no one knew where she was, let alone if she was alive. This girl must just look like her.

Although when she had come closer, he saw the soulful brown eyes that betrayed her emotions more than anything and knew it was her. The missing Liz Parker was standing not far from him and was very much alive and well. She looked good, he took in her appearance, she had filled out since he last saw her when she was eighteen. She was thin but curvy at the same time, her hair was long, flowing down her back and she looked healthy. She wore tight fitting jeans and a red silky halter-neck top.

When he had told the guy behind the bar that he knew her as Elizabeth Parker the guy had laughed and told him he was wrong. Then he had spoken to Liz and she’d turned around and whether she knew it or not, her eyes had lit up when she saw him. Now he was waiting for her outside the club to talk and he wasn’t going to let her disappear again.

Liz closed the door behind her and waved to the security staff. Then she spotted Michael leaning against a lamp post across the street. She made her way over to him slowly, what am I supposed to say to him? I need him to leave and keep me a secret from the others; I don’t want anyone else knowing where I am.

“There’s an all night café down the road, you want to go there?”

She asked before he could say anything. He nodded and she led the way. Once inside they ordered coffee and sat down in a booth. Michael sighed then spoke first.

“We thought you were dead.”

She didn’t say anything, what could she say?

“Have you been here the entire time?”

He asked as he stared at her.

“No. Just the last couple of years.”

“You look good Liz.”

“My name isn’t Liz anymore. I go by Izzy now.”

She glanced up into his green eyes and saw confusion run across his face.

“You changed your name? Why Izzy?”

“So no one could find me. I don’t know.”

She shrugged, she hadn’t really known why she chose Izzy, it just seemed like a good choice.

“I can’t believe you’re sitting across from me. This is insane.”

He ran a hand through his long hair and Liz smiled at the familiar gesture.

“Like wise. You look good too.”

“I’ve missed you.”

He whispered and she saw the tears spring into his eyes as he cleared his throat to get them to go away.

“I’ve missed you too.” She admitted, as painful as it was.

“Then why didn’t you come home?”

He started to sound angry and she felt bad for what she had put them through.

“I had my reasons Michael, please don’t make me do this now, it’s all in the past.”

“Things were so bad after you left…”

He began but she raised a hand to cut him off,

“I don’t want to know anything, please, don’t tell me anything.”

She knew she wouldn’t be able to hear what they’d gone through and how they’d moved on without her.

“Why not?”

“I just don’t want to hear it, it’s not my concern anymore.”

“When did you become so cold?”

He mumbled and she snapped at him,

“When my parents died and I was left to be abused by my uncle!”

Guilt flickered across his face and she sighed.

“I’m sorry, this was a bad idea, maybe I should go.”

She started to get up but he stopped her by grabbing her hand.

“Don’t leave, I won’t say anything about back home. Just…don’t leave.”

So they talked about everything else. She told him vaguely that she’d gone to school, gotten her degree in business management and now co-owned the club. He told her about himself, that he’d gone to college and was now an architect.

Liz felt strangely at ease with Michael, despite not having seen or spoken to him in almost seven years, for the first time in years she felt safe being with him.

“Look, I’d better get home or Stu is going to send a search party out for me.”

She interrupted when she’d glanced at the clock and found they’d talked for almost two hours.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

“No.”

“Liz? Can I come back and see you again?”

“I don’t think…”

“I won’t hassle you but it would be nice to see you again.”

He almost pleaded and she felt herself nod even though she was telling herself not to.

“Great.”

They made their way out of the café and she turned to him.

“Listen, can you keep this to yourself, I don’t want anyone else to know I’m here.”

He stared at her for the longest time and just when she thought he wouldn’t agree to it he sighed and nodded.

“Fine, I think that’s best, everyone has moved on with their lives and knowing where you were would open old wounds.”

“Do you promise?”

“Yes.” He said after he hesitated.

“Thanks Michael.”

He stepped forward suddenly and hugged her tightly. She froze for a second before returning the gesture then pulled away before the tears lining her eyes fell.

“So can I have your number?”

He asked uncertainly and she frowned.

“What if someone checks your phone?”

“I’ll store it under a different name. I’ll store it under your surname...what is your surname now?”

"Hudson."

"OK, I'll put it under that."

She nodded and gave him her number, then took his.

“See you around Michael.”

“See you around Lizzie.”

"It's Izzy, if you want to see me again you're going to have to call me Izzy."

"Right, sure. See you around Izzy Hudson." He watched as she turned and walked away.

**********************************************************************************************

“So…how was it?”

Stu asked from the sofa as Liz let herself in the door of their small apartment. She looked at him and he saw the tears running down her face.

“What happened?”

He asked standing up and rushing to her side. Cupping her face he looked at her with concern and she felt more tears fall, she didn’t deserve him, just like she didn’t deserve her friends back then. Then the voice of her shrink sounded in her head, you mustn’t think that you are unworthy of the people who love you. They love you for who you are and so should you.

“I need to tell you something.”

She whispered and let him lead her to the sofa where she was about to let everything out that she couldn’t keep locked away anymore.
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 18 5/22/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys thanks for being so patient, I've been crazy busy as usual!! New boss at work, the wedding in 4 weeks, new staff to train, longer hours at work etc etc...
Anyway, I'm just dropping a small part off and running because I don't have that much time so I'll leave feedback til next time!
Thanks though!!
Elle xx
By the way, there is an UC couple in this part, it's not a huge part of the story, merely and background character and an obsticle. :wink: So don't throw things at me.... :|

Chapter 19

Four months had passed since Michael had found Liz again.
He had visited Liz at least twice a month and was glad that none of his friends had suspected anything of his frequent trips. Over those four months Liz and Michael had re-established their friendship, she'd even told him about her boyfriend Lucas and how serious their relationship was getting.
He'd met Maria and Stu a few times and from what Liz could see, he and Maria had an instant attraction to each other.

She remembered their first meeting.

“So this is where I live.”

Liz said as she closed the door to her shared apartment. Before either could say anything, Maria had walked into the living room, wearing only her underwear, totally oblivious to anyone else in the room and talked to Liz whilst holding a dress in front of her.

“Izzy I can’t figure out how to get this dress on, where are these straps meant to go?”

Liz smiled, she couldn’t help it, she looked over to Michael and saw his jaw hanging open at the sight of Maria in her racy black underwear.

“Uh Maria, this is Michael.”

Liz introduced and couldn’t stop the laugh from escaping when Maria’s gaze snapped in their direction and her face turned bright red.

“Oh my fucking god, Izzy!” Maria had pulled her dress around her body to try and cover her underwear but the dress was so short it barely covered much anyway. Liz laughed into her hand as Michael tried to pick his jaw up off of the floor and tear his eyes away from Maria.

“You could have warned me you were bringing company back!”

“This is my apartment, what are you doing here?”

Liz questioned her back and Maria shrugged.

“You gave me a key and I needed a dress for tonight so I thought I could borrow one of yours.”

“Michael this is Maria.”

Liz gestured towards her best friend and Michael shook himself out of his daze as he held a hand up in a wave.

“Nice to see you…meet…I mean it’s nice to meet you.”

Michael stumbled and Liz rolled her eyes.

If she had known then how difficult it would be to get them both to admit that they liked each other then she would have just locked them in a room together and told them they couldn’t come out until the sexual tension between the two was resolved. She couldn’t be around that all day.

She'd confided in Michael after she had told Stu about her past and he'd advised her to tell her other best friend Maria too. Luckily and astonishingly, Stu and Maria hadn't hated her for lying, in fact, they had supported her decisions and treated her no differently.

Now Liz and Michael sat next to one another in Liz and Stu's apartment eating chinese food as they talked.

"Michael?"

Liz turned her head to look at him slouched down on the sofa with a noodle stuck to the side of his mouth, apparently he was oblivious to it.

"Hm?"

Came the reply as he shovelled another mouthful of food into his mouth.

"Can you...ummm...you have a noodle on your face."

She chickened out a the last minute.
Having spent more time with Michael the last few months, she had found it increasingly harder to ignore the urge to ask how certain people were. Just ask him you wuss, the worst he'll do is be really vague but then at least you'll have satisfied your curiosity. She thought as he turned to look at her with a raise eyebrow as he wiped a hand across his mouth.

"What do you want to know?"

He asked suddenly and Liz squirmed in her seat as she tried to plaster a confused look on her face.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about. What do you want to know?"

He fixed his green eyes on her and she shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. Finally surrendering to his look she sighed.

"How is everyone back in Roswell?"

She whispered, avoiding his eyes.

"Who do you want to know about and how much detail do you want?"

"I just want to know if they're alright."

"Well, everyone is fine really."

He answered vaguely and she knew that he'd make her work for it if she wanted to know more. Trying to resist to ask about a specific person with gorgeous amber eyes she focused on her brother instead.

"What about Tommy? What's he doing now?"

She fiddled with her fork, twirling it in her hand as she waited for Michael's reply.

"Not good actually."

Liz's head snapped up to look at Michael.

"You just said everyone was alright."

She accused, worry tightening in her chest. How surprised she was to feel that feeling after all these years.

"I was making sure you actually wanted to know how they were really doing. Things are bad for Tommy."

He admitted, Liz needs to know what's going on, she's the only one who can help him right now whether she likes it or not.

"Why, what's happened?"

She sat up straight, crossing her legs under her as she faced Michael. Concern etched across her pretty face and shining in her chocolate eyes. He couldn't keep it from her, she had a right to know even though she left and never looked back for them.

"He's loosing the restaurant and..."

"Whoa, wait, what do you mean? He's working in the restaurant now?"

"Yeah, he runs it, has since you left."

He watched for the connection to be made in her head. He saw it the moment she came to the correct conclusion.

"Oh my god, he gave up uni to take on the...?"

She trailed off as she glanced up into Michael's green eyes, she saw the sympathy there and shook her head as he nodded.

"No, he had plans to be an architect or something, what happened to that?"

"Do you really want to know what happened?"

Michael asked, checking one last time that this was what she wanted to know. She nodded and he took a deep breath as he continued.

"After you left, things were bad, Tommy got an authorised break from school to help find you, we looked and looked for you and then when it was obvious you weren't coming back or that something had happened to you he got an extended break from school to stay in Roswell in case anyone found you. Soon after he came back for good and your uncle was due in court but since you never turned up to testify against him he got off on a technicality…”

“He got off?”

“Yeah, his defence was based on the theory that you could have been beaten up by anyone and made it look like he had done it, since he was unarguably drunk that night, they tried the old, ’he was too drunk to do anything like this’.”

He shook his head, he couldn’t believe what they had come up with.

“But what about my injuries? Pictures were taken, surely they saw what had happened to me?”

“Yeah but they argued that you were unstable from your parents’ deaths and he was saying you’d been causing trouble before, which you had so it didn’t help any.”

He stopped and saw the disgust written over her face.

“So then what happened after he was let off?”

“He returned to the restaurant."

He paused and Liz frowned.

"How could he just get the restaurant back?"

"It was technically his since you weren't around to claim it. So the last few years Tommy has been running it with him, not that he can stand the guy, he's doing it because it was your parents' place and Tommy would die before he let Brian have it."

"So what's happening to make it bad?"

"Brian's been drinking the place under, he helps himself to anything he wants. Mostly the money and he comes back drunk and drives all the customers away. If something drastic doesn't happen soon Tommy is going to loose the restaurant."

Liz absorbed everything he had told her. Tommy's struggling with what should have been my life, he's there because of me.

"Isn't there anything he can do to get rid of our uncle?"

"There's only two solutions."

He said quietly, this is it, it's now or never and I hope she's open to the idea because it's Tommy's last chance.

"What?"

She was interested, she had a degree in business for goodness sake! There must be something she could help them with even if it was through Michael.

"Well, he can either sell before it goes under completely, but he'd have to convince Brian to sell as it technically belongs to him, or, you could come back and claim the restaurant back as it's rightful owner..."

Liz cut him off quickly.

"No! I'm not going back!"

"Why not?"

"Because I can't! It's been seven years, I can't just stroll back home and pretend like nothing has happened! Someone would get suspicious anyway, about how I knew about the restaurant being in trouble." She fought for a reasonable excuse but Michael's knowing gaze stopped her.

"I think it's time you came back and faced reality, you have a responsibility and you need to take care of it. Even if you come back, re-claim it and sign it over to Tommy, as long as Brian doesn't get his hands on it I don't care, but Tommy needs you."

"I don't owe anyone anything."

She replied stubbornly and he shrugged.

"I know but I guess I was hoping to appeal to the side of you that remembers that Tommy is your brother, and the restaurant is the only tie you have left to your parents. How would it feel to loose that too?"

"This is insane Michael, I can't go back, not after everything that's happened..."

She started as she stood up and began pacing the floor. Michael cut her off.

"It's all in the past Liz, no one lives in the past anymore, neither should you."

"I can't face everyone back there! I could barely face you when you found me! They hate me and it'll just be more trouble than it's worth."

"Listen to me, yeah they probably will hate you when they find out that you're ok, they might not want to know you anyway after everything that's happened, you don't know how they are going to react but you need to do this if not for yourself then for Tommy."

She had stopped pacing to look at him. When did Michael get so wise? She thought as she nodded.

"I'll think about it."

He smiled at her, hoping deep down that if she agreed to come back that it wouldn't blow up in their faces.
***************************************************************************************************************************************