The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Re: The Official "Complain About Life" Thread

Post by Earth2Mama »

RosDude wrote:Someone broke into my car and stole a bunch of CDs and took my kid's car seat.

I shit you not!

A baby car seat!

Who the uckfey takes a car seat?

I'm pissed. Not so much about the CDs (there's always itoons for that) as I am about the damn car seat.

~Chad~
I don't blame you. My brother's got two (for his 4 yr old and 18 month old). Those things are expensive!

My complaint of the day ... all this friggin' rain here in NYC!!! My pants were plastered to my legs, my weather-proof boots were soaked leaving my socks wet and my feet cold and clamy. UGH! I should have stayed the hell home today.

Give me snow anyday! Seriously, I'd rather walk in a blizzard then deal with the rain.
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

Okay so I need to vent for like five seconds before I explode on someone but what the hell is with freaking medical savings account. Do they not realize that half the people in US right now are freaking broke anyways. Not only do they want me to pay $300 a month but then they want me to cover the cost of my own medical insurance up to $9,500!!!! I'm sorry but that's close to what we make in a year. My husband goes yeah if you had a job it would be great and I'm like uh yeah if I didn't want a single penny to myself and we wouldn't have to pay for daycare. Seriously what happened to hmo's and normal insurance. ARGH! And while I'm on that, hello, can we please jump on the bandwagon and get a national medical insurance plan, give me the extra taxes just make sure that if I break my leg and have to go the emergency room I'm covered!
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

valentinebaby wrote:Okay so I need to vent for like five seconds before I explode on someone but what the hell is with freaking medical savings account. Do they not realize that half the people in US right now are freaking broke anyways. Not only do they want me to pay $300 a month but then they want me to cover the cost of my own medical insurance up to $9,500!!!! I'm sorry but that's close to what we make in a year. My husband goes yeah if you had a job it would be great and I'm like uh yeah if I didn't want a single penny to myself and we wouldn't have to pay for daycare. Seriously what happened to hmo's and normal insurance. ARGH! And while I'm on that, hello, can we please jump on the bandwagon and get a national medical insurance plan, give me the extra taxes just make sure that if I break my leg and have to go the emergency room I'm covered!
Not all of us want the gov't running health care telling us what doctor we have to see or if we can have a treatment or not.Besides....other than the military...show me one thing the gov't runs that's worth a damn? Give me the private sector any day.
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

killjoy wrote:Not all of us want the gov't running health care telling us what doctor we have to see or if we can have a treatment or not.Besides....other than the military...show me one thing the gov't runs that's worth a damn? Give me the private sector any day.
Okay true. But there are some plus sides to it. It would just be nice not to have to deal with it and wanting to rip out your hair half the time trying to figure all this crap out.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

valentinebaby wrote:
killjoy wrote:Not all of us want the gov't running health care telling us what doctor we have to see or if we can have a treatment or not.Besides....other than the military...show me one thing the gov't runs that's worth a damn? Give me the private sector any day.
Okay true. But there are some plus sides to it. It would just be nice not to have to deal with it and wanting to rip out your hair half the time trying to figure all this crap out.

Definitely has plus sides... I've grown up with the UK National Health Service (NHS) and I wouldn't trade it for a US-style system if you paid me :).

I have never had a doctor tell me what treatment I can or cannot have; I can choose my doctor if I like (up until now you had to register with a doctor within your local area, but now they are changing it so you can register wherever you like. Even so, there are about 10 different doctors I could chose from in my area if I so wished); I have never had to wait more than 2 days to get an appointment (unless I choose to book it for a particular day) and I have not been kept waiting more than 20 minutes to see a doctor once I have arrived for my appointment. When I go to visit the doctor, I am usually in and out of his office within 10 minutes and I don't have to pay a penny for it. I will never have to worry that I might go bankrupt/lose my house for the sake of paying for healthcare, nor will I have to worry about not being insured if I lose my job or run into financial trouble.

For the first 18 years of my life, I got completely free healthcare - free doctor's appointments, free hospital treatment, free prescriptions, free vaccinations, free eye tests, free glasses, free dental care, free orthodontic care etc.

In the last 8 years, I have spent (upfront, out of pocket expenses (converted into dollars to make it easier)):

Prescriptions: $30 (the majority of the prescriptions I get are free and the ones that aren't are only $11 each)
Dental care: $200 (8 check-ups, 4 fillings)
Eye tests: $50 (5 tests, but I had vouchers for free eye tests/half-price eye tests)
Glasses: $300 (three pairs of glasses)

So, in total, 26 years of perfectly good healthcare has cost me (out of pocket) about $600. I've only been paying taxes for 4 years, so I haven't had to pay all that much out of my income so far either.

(P.S. Sorry, the whole healthcare debate gets me quite defensive as a lot of the recent US media coverage of the NHS has been inaccurate and the system is being made out to be much worse than it actually is. Not to say it doesn't have its flaws, but it's nowhere near as bad some US campaigns would have you believe).
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

Heavenli24 wrote:Definitely has plus sides... I've grown up with the UK National Health Service (NHS) and I wouldn't trade it for a US-style system if you paid me :).

I have never had a doctor tell me what treatment I can or cannot have; I can choose my doctor if I like (up until now you had to register with a doctor within your local area, but now they are changing it so you can register wherever you like. Even so, there are about 10 different doctors I could chose from in my area if I so wished); I have never had to wait more than 2 days to get an appointment (unless I choose to book it for a particular day) and I have not been kept waiting more than 20 minutes to see a doctor once I have arrived for my appointment. When I go to visit the doctor, I am usually in and out of his office within 10 minutes and I don't have to pay a penny for it. I will never have to worry that I might go bankrupt/lose my house for the sake of paying for healthcare, nor will I have to worry about not being insured if I lose my job or run into financial trouble.

For the first 18 years of my life, I got completely free healthcare - free doctor's appointments, free hospital treatment, free prescriptions, free vaccinations, free eye tests, free glasses, free dental care, free orthodontic care etc.

In the last 8 years, I have spent (upfront, out of pocket expenses (converted into dollars to make it easier)):

Prescriptions: $30 (the majority of the prescriptions I get are free and the ones that aren't are only $11 each)
Dental care: $200 (8 check-ups, 4 fillings)
Eye tests: $50 (5 tests, but I had vouchers for free eye tests/half-price eye tests)
Glasses: $300 (three pairs of glasses)

So, in total, 26 years of perfectly good healthcare has cost me (out of pocket) about $600. I've only been paying taxes for 4 years, so I haven't had to pay all that much out of my income so far either.

(P.S. Sorry, the whole healthcare debate gets me quite defensive as a lot of the recent US media coverage of the NHS has been inaccurate and the system is being made out to be much worse than it actually is. Not to say it doesn't have its flaws, but it's nowhere near as bad some US campaigns would have you believe).
I don't mean to sound like a traitor but THIS is what makes me want to move to the UK. I know everywhere has their flaws but like I said I'd rather be paying more in taxes to know that if I broke my leg I'd be covered. And to be honest, I'm so frustrated right now with all this medical care crap I feel like crying. And if we did have a national health care plan I wouldn't feel like that.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

valentinebaby wrote:I know everywhere has their flaws but like I said I'd rather be paying more in taxes to know that if I broke my leg I'd be covered.
Yeah :). I moved to the US as a grad student in 2008 and was covered by the university's health insurance. However, when I was looking through the different insurance plans for students, one plan estimated that if you broke your leg, it would cost you about $5,000 out of pocket to get treatment.... which meant that if I was on that plan and broke my leg, it would be cheaper to get on a plane, fly to the UK and get it treated on the NHS than to head to the university hospital less than a mile away from my apartment :P!
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

Heavenli24 wrote:Yeah :). I moved to the US as a grad student in 2008 and was covered by the university's health insurance. However, when I was looking through the different insurance plans for students, one plan estimated that if you broke your leg, it would cost you about $5,000 out of pocket to get treatment.... which meant that if I was on that plan and broke my leg, it would be cheaper to get on a plane, fly to the UK and get it treated on the NHS than to head to the university hospital less than a mile away from my apartment :P!
Pretty much my husband's is $9,500 for the whole family and I'm like damn so the only way they're going to cover me in a year is if I have my spleen removed or a kidney transplant, cause even a broken bone doesn't cost 9k. Oh god don't even get me started on dental either.
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Post by Earth2Mama »

O.k. What is up with straphangers?! Seriously, either move your asses to the back of the bus to let people get on or the get the hell off. I literally had to walk over people this morning in order to get on the bus so that I could get to work on time. There was no one in the back of the bus, yet all these people were crowded in the front just because they wanted to be the first one's to get off the bus at their stop.

ARGH! :x
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
valentinebaby
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by valentinebaby »

Earth2Mama wrote:O.k. What is up with straphangers?! Seriously, either move your asses to the back of the bus to let people get on or the get the hell off. I literally had to walk over people this morning in order to get on the bus so that I could get to work on time. There was no one in the back of the bus, yet all these people were crowded in the front just because they wanted to be the first one's to get off the bus at their stop.

ARGH! :x
Haha Do you live in Seattle? That's one of my pet peeves too that and when the bus is obviously crowded and people are using the strap hangers and all these jerks are taking up more than one seat cause they don't want anyone to sit next to them and they glare at you as you approach their seat like don't even think about it. People are so rude.