A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Adult) (COMPLETE)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Adult) (COMPLETE)

Post by PML »

Winner Round 14

Title- A Kiss to Build a Dream On

Disclaimer- I do not own Roswell, and mean no infringement. It is owned by Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, UPN, WB, etc.

Category- CC, K/T

Rating- Mature.

Summary- This story is brought out of a challenge issued to me by the illustrious Chrisken. He won my services in the last Support Stacie Auction. In truth it probably will not be as long as many of the other stories I am working on. (I promised 10k words.)

It is set after Max in the City, but before A Roswell Christmas Carol. Tess learned much in New York. And she has a choice to make.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On prologue

Kyle-

Kyle lay on the couch and stared up at the ceiling. He knew that ceiling very well. He hadn’t quite gotten to the point where he’d counted all the little bumps in the ceiling, but he did note a section of cobweb in the corner.

He’d already done his calisthenics and now was waiting to use the shower. Which depending on the day could take a while. Tess didn’t really keep a schedule. Kyle might have five minutes or fifty, with five being much more likely.

Kyle sighed and settled himself deeper into the couch.

Tess Harding bothered him. In so many ways. He liked her. Of that there was no doubt. And he dreamed of her.

In fact he spent way too much time thinking about her. About what he felt about her. And about all the conflicting signals he got from her. One moment they’d be on the verge of a make-out session. The other she’d pull away to do homework or watch a movie or meet with Max.

It was the last that really bothered him. Max Evans. The man had so much of what he wanted. He had taken Liz from him. And now he was what exactly? Was it taking Tess away from him if they had never really been together?

Was stopping something from developing really in the same league?

“Kyle Valenti! GET THE HELL IN HERE!”

Tess. An angry Tess. A possible threat to his very existence. Kyle knew very well that she could kill with a touch. Or twist his mind into a pretzel.

She had a video tape of him wandering around the house clucking like a chicken.

So part of him wanted to just lay here and wait it out. Or go for a run. That might be wise.

But that wasn’t what he was going to do. Because when she was angry she was smoking hot.

Then again she usually was. But when she was angry she let down her guard just a little. And for a few moments you could see the real Tess.

Kyle lived for those moments. Anger wasn’t the only way. Anything that made her feel, something to break through the detachment. The recognition that Kyle was only human.

That never really left her. And it made him wonder if that was why she could never really start anything with him.

Kyle walked over to the bathroom. There was a little steam coming out of the warm humid room. He looked over and saw Tess. And yes she was furious. And hot.

She was wearing a towel wrapped on her head. Kyle really didn’t understand the why of that. The woman could just wave her hand over her head and it would be dry. Why bother doing anything else? She was also wrapped in a bath robe. It had been hastily wrapped around her, and he could see a tiny amount of cleavage from the top.

Too bad he wasn’t taller. He’d have a better view.

Tess glared at him and pointed toward the toilet. “Kyle, you are a guy. And therefore genetically a idiot. But surely you can remember this. This is a toilet seat. When you are done doing your business, it is lowered. Always, end of story. And yes, it is always raised before you go about spraying everything.”

Tess made a grand gesture, her robe opening just a little more.

Kyle couldn’t keep a small smile from his face. The left side had opened just a bit more than the right. While the whole breast wasn’t exposed, he could see the edge of the areola. His gaze slipped further down, and yes the opening was heading toward promising territory.

He’d never actually seen Tess naked before. Oh, he’d seen her pretty close. Her usual nighttime attire was one of his old shirts and panties. She lived here. It wasn’t that hard to catch a glimpse or two.

Still a robe wearing Tess, fresh from the shower, with the robe opening? Definitely a dream sequence.

A good one. Might as well enjoy the show.

“Are you paying any attention to me? I almost fell in. If I ever do I am going to slag….”

“Me with your laser beam eyes.”

“What!? Are you mocking me? Are you in such a hurry to meet Buddha, buster?” Each comment was punctuated with a poke to his chest.

He tried to stand his ground, even as she continued to lace into him with her words. Insulting his race, his gender, himself personally.

But he really wasn’t paying attention. Each time she hit him the robe opened just a little bit further. Until it just hung from her shoulders.

Beautiful. She was so beautiful. He looked back up to her blue eyes. Surely she had to notice. There was an element of puzzlement in her demeanor as she continued her tirade. Kyle usually at least tried to fight back.

She looked down. And blushed.

Kyle had never seen her do that before. Never. He just looked at her square in the face and smiled at her. He was so dead.

She closed up her robe. But the rage Kyle had expected wasn’t there. It was a mixture of confusion and several other emotions he couldn’t quite catch.

Well he was still probably dead anyway. But still it was worth it. Something to tell the guys at school.

Only he wasn’t sure that he would. That camaraderie didn’t mean as much to him as it used to. Not as much as Tess did. And the ridicule she might have to face, the snide comments….

No.

But why?

Because he loved her. He loved her and didn’t want her to face those comments and slurs.

It was too bad she was so out of his league in so many ways.

So both of them stared at each other for a few moments, looks of confusion, touched with a small dose of passion.

And Kyle kissed her. Not a demanding kiss, but not a chaste one either. He wasn’t about to try to take advantage of her. But he wanted her to know without a doubt he was interested.

He hadn’t meant it to be a serious kiss, but it became one. And he could… feel… something. Something not normal. He had kissed girls before, but it had never been like this.

For that matter he’d kissed Tess before, long ago right when she had gotten here. And it hadn’t been so… intense. He felt as if he could almost sense something, see something out of the corner of his mind…..

She broke the kiss and firmly closed her robe. Her eyes were a little smoky as she looked up at him. She opened her mouth to say something and shut it. She just looked at him with those clear blue eyes.

Kyle himself was shaking. He felt hot and flushed, sweat pouring out of every pore. He wanted her more than anything. But he wanted her to want him too. There was no doubt she knew the effect she had on him, he’d been poking into her belly.

That reaction was probably why she had broken away from him.

He stared at her, his heart pounding. He just looked at her and tried to calm his breathing.

Tess broke the silence, “I guess I should finish getting ready for school.”

Kyle nodded and reluctantly walked away from the bathroom.

“Kyle?”

Kyle slowly turned around.

Only Tess wasn’t in the bathroom anymore. She was right behind him. And she wasn’t holding her robe closed either. Rather it was draped for effect.

Kyle had a completely unimpeded view of her fabulous body. He looked back up to her eyes.

They were searching his. And in them was a desperate longing. And…. And he wasn’t quite sure.

“Tess?”

“I changed my mind.” The robe fell to the floor and she rushed and kissed him. He over balanced and landed on his back on the floor and a naked straddled above.

If this was a dream, he didn’t want to wake.

She kissed him. All coherent thought fled as flashes and images soared through his mind.

And they made love right there on the living room floor.

Needless to say they were late for school.
Last edited by PML on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 46 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 0- 09/27/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone who is following this story.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Kyle already assumes he's a dead man. Why not enjoy his last moments to the fullest?

jbangelo- The POV's will alternate between parts. At least that is how they will start. I hope you continue to enjoy.

nibbles2- Thanks

spacegirl23- Thanks.

Chrisken- Thanks. It seemed the place to start.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 1

Tess-

Tess set her head on the steering wheel of her SUV.

Why?

Why was she so weak? She had promised herself. Promised that she wouldn’t sleep with Kyle again.

Twelve times she had failed to keep herself away from him. Twelve times. And at the end she had to erase his memory of the event.

Poor Kyle never knew he’d had her. Each time she gave in to some advance or, or just the desire to be with him was the first time for him.

But if his mind could not recall, his body did. He knew exactly where to touch her, how to rev up her engine and send her over the edge.

And more.

If she had been human, maybe that is all it would have been. Just two horny teens having sex. Using their close proximity and the lack of parental supervision to the fullest advantage.

Two beautiful sexy animals making love.

But she was Antaran. Her powers added a whole new level of intimacy, for both of them, even if the human couldn‘t fully comprehend what they were feeling. And they came with a price.

Antarans trended towards monogamy heavily.

Because of the bonds that formed with any strong emotion. It was more than just emotion, it could link the two minds and eventually their souls together.

Kind of made break ups tough. There were ways around it. To just concentrate on the physical. To not feel for the other.

But in that she had failed. She had failed utterly.

And because of it she may have doomed not only herself, but her people, her world. They expected, no demanded she do her duty. To complete in this life what she had failed to do in the last.

Produce and heir to the throne. Tie forever her people to the Royal Line.

Duty. She had to harden her heart and do her duty. She had to win Max over and produce and heir and present it to her people on Antar.

How she was supposed to do that, Aric wasn‘t clear. But then she wasn‘t sure he really knew.

But it was what she had been raised for. What she had been MADE for….

And she was beginning to feel like she had once again failed.

A ripple of euphoria and pleasure soared through her. An aftershock.

It took all her will to not cry out in exultation at the feeling. At the pure crystalline joy.

She was sitting in the parking lot at school and people would talk.

So she sat there and shuddered and sighed.

A few tears formed and slid down her face. Each time she had failed and seduced, or allowed Kyle to seduce her, these sensations had gotten more intense.

She was Bonding Kyle.

And that could not be allowed to happen. She had to promise herself, swear that she would never touch him again.

No matter how it made her feel.

Concentrate on Max. Max.

But the dreams she’d had, dreams she’d subsisted on for so long…. They were faded and pale.

Was it too late? What would Aric do?

Maybe it would be better if she arranged for a different living situation. As Tess Harding she had money. She could get an apartment. Could live alone…..

Tess shuddered in fear. She was a secretive and private person, but she could not bear to be alone. And who would sooth her nightmares? Who would she talk to and tease?

No she was better off where she was. She just had to hold to her promise.

She had to.

Tess got out of her SUV and went forth to brave high school. To forget for a moment the weight that lay on her shoulders. Her duty.

She remembered discussing her grades with Michael last summer. He’d wondered why she had cared. She hadn’t really answered him. Not truthfully.

The truth was it let her pretend, if only for moments at a time that she existed as something other than vessel to hold the Heir to the Throne. That there was more to life than Duty.

Time to be Tess Harding. To be the girl Kyle thought she was.

To be the girl she had once despised, but now secretly wished were real.

Tess walked into school.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 1- 10/07/09

Post by PML »

Thanks as always to those following along this story.

chanks_girl- Tess is in complete denial. But it will not last, don't worry. And she will cause waves doing it, ones that will ripple through the group.

spacegirl23- Poor Kyle is totally confused. He loves Tess. But as far as he can tell his love is unrequited. And likely to remain that way. Of course, this is Kyle. So each time an opportunity arrises, he takes full advantage.

jbangelo- well, I hope that I can acquit both of them satisfactorily. Thank you.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 2

Kyle-

Kyle had gotten off to a slow start. He’d ended up missing all of first period. It had been a while since he’d over slept.

Good thing there had not been a test in Geometry this morning.

But the morning was over now. And it was lunch.

So why was he eating alone?

Over to one side he had his old friends. The Jocks, and a could of hangers on. Plus the occasional Cheerleader pack dropping by to chat. But mostly just the guys.

Last year they were his friends. Hell, who was he kidding. Last year they were virtually his family.

Only now he didn’t feel comfortable with them. They seemed shallow. Everything was the next game or the next girl. And they would lie and boast about both.

He still spent a great deal of time among them. Was still one of them. Sort of.

He didn’t really fit in with them anymore. What was worse he knew it. And it sapped his confidence. Once he had been a leader among them. Now he wasn’t quite an outcast, but neither he nor they could quite pin out where he fit in the little hierarchy.

And then there was the other group. Kyle looked over and saw Liz, Maria, Alex, and Tess all sitting together. Well, there was a little pocket surrounding Tess. She didn’t quite fit in with them either.

Something they shared.

Perhaps the only thing.

No, she was undoubtedly waiting for Max.

Max Evans. His personal nemesis. All the girls wanted him. Sure he ignored most of them. But the two Kyle liked best. Liz and Tess.

Sure, Liz was just a friend now. But last year, he had thought it was love. It hadn’t been, at least not in the romantic sense. But they had slowly forged a decent friendship.

No. It was Tess now. Max might not want her, might be stuck in the damnedest love triangle Kyle had ever seen….. But Tess was always after him.

Destiny. God he hated that world. Or maybe that should be Buddha…..

Kyle sighed. Did it really matter. He wasn’t enough for her. All his attempts had been all but stillborn. The few times he had thought he had cracked her shell, events had conspired to push her away. To push her towards Max Evans.

What was the point.

He was about to look away, when Tess’s eyes caught his. For a moment he thought they lost their cool detachment. For just a moment, he thought he felt a connection to her. Could feel a driving passion.

Like all good things it ended. He heard Maria cry out Max and Michael’s names in that loud enthusiastic voice of hers.

And Tess looked away. The detachment just as firm.

A trick of the light. Mixed with wishful thinking.

He lowered his head to the table. Why did fate play with him so?

“Hey! Kyle? Are you okay? I didn’t see you in Geometry this morning.”

He looked up. Vicky Delany. The girl he’d picked up on the rebound from Liz. They’d had two pretty good months last year. Hot and passionate months. But they’d both decided that they would never work long term. So they had split.

They’d gotten together again, briefly this last summer. She’d just broken up with Doug Hoag. And he’d just been pulled back from the brink of death. Neither had been focused on the long term.

Sex. That week had been about the sex. Enough so that he realized that he was actually alive, and she had built up enough confidence to move to the next guy. To try again.

It was, now that he thought about it, the last time he’d gotten lucky. Somehow he doubted that was why she was here. Last he heard she was back in her on again, off again relationship with Doug.

“Yeah, I overslept. Forgot to set the alarm.”

“Oh. Um. Can I ask you a favor?”

Here it comes. “Sure. Anything to see you smile, Vicky.”

“Aw, that’s sweet.” She moved her hands to his collar. “I need someone to go with me to Jan’s Christmas party. Can you go with me. I mean, not as a date, but you know as a friend. I really don’t want to go alone, but I want to go.”

“Not as a date, huh.”

Okay. Should he be insulted by this? Or was this just a normal thing?

“Well not unless you want it to be. I mean, that would be fine with me. It’s just all the reasons why we didn’t click last year, well their still there. And too many of the other guys just want to get their hands on my body.”

Vicky did have a reputation for being easy. For putting out.

Heck, it had been one of the reasons he’d asked out last year. Liz was fairly prim, and he’d wanted a little more…. Action.

And he’d gotten it.

“So I’m just a safe port in the storm. Nothing to fear here? Harmless? Tamed? Vicky, remember last summer. I am one of those guys. I want to take off your clothes and ravish you. Again.” Kyle shook his head. “If you want someone safe, try Whitman over there. He’s safe.”

Vicky looked over at the groups table. “No. No way. I am not crossing Isabel Evans. Kind of a shame too. He’s sort of cute in an innocent nice way.” Her gaze became almost a leer. “Not muscular, but flexible. I could think of a few things I could teach him…. Be kind of fun. But Isabel would kill me. My rep has taken enough hits.” Vicky shuddered. “That girl is scary.”

Kyle looked over at Alex. “Huh? Isabel’s dating some older guy. You’d probably do wonders for his self confidence.”

Vicky shook her head. “Isabel doesn’t share. She may not be dating him, but trust me when I say that Alex might as well have a label stuck to him saying ‘Property of Isabel Evans.’ I’m kind of surprised none of her rivals have tried to make a move on him.”

“Okay, so maybe Alex is out.” His eyes drifted towards Tess. They always seemed to now. She was just so lovely…..

“You really want her don’t you? Tess?”

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Are you going to ask her out, or…?”

“No point. She doesn’t want me.”

Vicky sighed. “Kyle, if it makes you feel better, I don’t think your harmless. If I’m not involved with anyone and you want to hook up, just let me know. You’re fun. You make it fun for the girl too. Not everyone is so considerate.” There was a trace of bitterness in her voice.

Of course he did. It dramatically increased the likelihood of there being a second opportunity.

He looked in askance at her tone. Vicky was by nature a sweet, bouncy girl. There shouldn’t be any bitterness there.

It was just wrong.

He looked and he noticed that her makeup was a little heavy. He reached up and touched one of her cheeks.

Vicky flinched back in pain.

“Who did this? Did Hoag do this?” That bastard was a dead man.

“Kyle, I can take care of myself.”

“Yes.”

“Yes, what.”

“Yes I will go.”

“Because of my cheek…. Kyle, I need you to promise you won’t do anything. That you won’t start a fight over me. It’s not that important.”

“He hit you.”

Vicky looked away. “We’re over. Permanently over.”

“Does he know that?”

“I told him in no uncertain terms.”

So he was safe in more ways than one. He was going to make sure Vicky didn’t get hurt. “Okay. Vicky, I promise not to cave his face in today. But if he starts something…. If he hurts you again….. I can’t promise I will let it pass again.” Kyle snapped his fingers. “How about my father? If you told him…..”

“No, no, no. I just want it to be over.”

Kyle looked at her. “Okay. But I want you to know I think you are making a mistake. And I want you to promise you will tell my dad if it happens again. Promise?”

Vicky smiled sadly, “Sure. But really, I’m pretty sure he knows its over.”

Kyle wasn’t sure if he wanted Hoag to drop it or not. He remembered last year, when Liz had admonished him about his friends. That they were not good guys.

Well she was definitely right about Doug Hoag.

“Alright, it’s a deal.” He stuck a hand out, a slight smirk on his face.

She engulfed him in a hug. She felt good in his arms. It brought back memories.

But…. She didn’t quite… fit… as well anymore. It was hard to explain.

Vicky whispered into his ears, “I was serious, Kyle. If you want me, if you want to hook up…. Just let me know.”

Kyle felt his heart jump. How could he not say yes. How could he not enjoy again the favors he’d enjoyed just last summer.

But while the idea excited him. It also felt wrong.

Very wrong.

He gave her a little kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you Friday for the party.”

Vicky’s smile was intact, but she looked past his shoulder. Back at the table where his new friends sat. A brief flash of jealousy moved across her face. “I’ll call you tonight.” She pulled away.

“Sure.”

Vicky left with a small smile.

Kyle watched her go. Why had he not taken her up on her offer? They might not have much in common, but she was fun in bed.

He felt a pressure on the back of his skull. He looked behind him and met the cool blue gaze of Tess.

Why wasn’t he enough for her? Why didn’t she want him?

Maybe he would take Vicky up on her offer after all. If only he could understand why if felt so wrong.

Kyle finished up his lunch, still in contemplation.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 2- 10/14/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along.

spacegirl23- Thanks. The presence of the aliens in his life changed it dramatically. This time period would be during that intermediate period when he was straddling both his past and his future lives.

chanks_girl- Thanks. About that comment on Isabel, I thought you would like it. It fits her personality. (And is a possible plot point as you will see.)

jbangelo- Thanks. Kyles nature is to advise and protect. As for Tess, she is in the odd situation of both being incredibly jealous and in denial.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 3

Tess-

Lunch passed mercifully quickly. Although none of the other hybrids had made a showing.

Sometimes they would leave campus to eat lunch. And aliens only lunch.

It was a sign of their trust, or their acceptance of her that she was never invited.

Not once.

No. She got to eat lunch with the Three Musketeers. She envied their friendship, and wished from time to time that they would finally accept her.

But they didn’t. And it wasn’t likely either.

Destiny. Her damned Destiny. A reminder to all of them of the fact that each of them loved someone who had a life, a destiny that did not include them in it. Not in the future anyway.

The day would come when she and the others would leave. They would go home. And leave the humans behind.

To her mind it was more merciful to never give in, never to allow her human lover to grow dependent on her. Lest when she left…..

She looked over at Kyle. Funny how their eyes would often meet. And for one second she let herself dream. Let the mask slip. And let herself feel the nascent bond between them.

No. She couldn’t keep feeding it. She could not let it continue to grow.

It would hurt her. Hurt her badly. But she had to let it fade. Let it die.

Kyle was not her Destiny. Not her past nor her future.

A tiny voice said, but maybe he could be your present?

No.

No. It would not be fair to either of them. Because she could love him. She could. All it would take is a moments relaxation, a moments neglect of her knowledge of her duty.

She turned from him and tried to concentrate on her ‘friends’ comments. Liz was openly cheerful, her old face according to gossip. But Tess was a good read of character. Secretly Liz was brooding about Max.

Tess had considered Liz all but throwing Max at her a wonderful opportunity. Except that Max had been crushed by the experience. Crushed beyond all recognition. He simply wasn’t the same anymore.

Broken.

As was Liz.

Oh, they carried on like it wasn’t an omnipresent reality between them. Liz had slept with Kyle.

Only she hadn’t. Tess knew that for certain. Both through his pillow talk confessions and through flashes.

But why she had done it Kyle didn’t know. Nor did Tess.

It had seemed such a godsend. But now, Tess was not so sure. Her feelings toward Max had matured. She liked him. He was a good friend. He still didn’t fully trust her, but he liked her.

A marriage to him would contain no fire, but it could endure.

Tess momentarily entertained a thought where she and Max married, but had Kyle and Liz as lovers on the side.

How she wished it could be that easy. Even if she could manage to convince the other three on that plan, Aric would never allow it.

Aric. It was funny that she hadn’t even known her surrogate father’s name until she had thought he had died. But he had left her documents and money to protect her and the others in the event of his death.

She still hadn’t shared her largess with the others. What would be the point? At the time they hadn’t trusted her. She had kept it hidden, as a secret asset if she needed one.

A stash that would let her run if the whole situation became unbearable. And there had been times when running away had seemed the only possible course. She’d almost packed up and left only a few months ago.

Only Kyle and Max had kept her. Max had needed her. No one had ever truly needed her like that before. Had truly needed her sympathy and understanding.

That night when Max had sat with her on that bench, his dreams of Liz shattered, had been the true beginning of a real friendship.

And New York had shown her that was all that it would be.

But she would be damned before she would abandon him. To let him suffer. The things he had told her….

Which brought her to the second Musketeer. Maria. Tess found her annoying. And as far as she could tell her advice was usually suspect. But there was more to her than a dizzy attitude and aromatherapy oils.

Maria had the ability to make people open up. Oh sure, the best case would be Michael. But she’d also worked on Max.

Tess would never have been able to get nearly as much out of Max had Maria not gotten there first. Tess knew how hard a nut Max was to crack. Last year he would have told her nothing. He didn’t trust her and that was that. He wouldn’t even extend feelers to see if she could understand or sympathize.

He would just assume that she couldn’t.

Maria had changed that. Maria had taught Max what she had probably taught Liz and Alex, and in due time would teach Michael, that talking about a problem may not always solve it, it could lessen the burden. And that may allow one to see solutions that otherwise might elude them.

And for that, Tess could not hate the girl. She admired the ditzy blonde. To bad the girl hated her with a passion. Loyalty to Liz.

Just as well. Maria was also a bundle of neuroses and insecurities.

Which led her to the last Musketeer. Alex. Alex was also insecure and had his share of quirks.

But unlike the other two he knew who he was. He knew who he was and what he was and was mostly happy with that.

Alex had a solid honest core that probably drew Liz and Maria to him. If Liz was the brain, and Maria the heart, then Alex was the soul.

That honesty drew Isabel too. It was why she kept dancing around Alex, leading him on enough that he wouldn’t ever fully leave her orbit, but never letting him get close enough. Never close enough to see the mass of neurotic impulses and OCD that was Isabel Evans.

Tess could see the draw, but it wasn’t quite what she was looking for…..

Her eyes looked over at Kyle.

He was talking with Vicky Delany. An old flame.

Tess deliberately made her face still. Aric had drilled it into her. Drilled the necessity of keeping her thoughts off of her face.

It could not stop the thoughts in her head however.

That stupid cow!

She saw as Vicky companionably placed a hand on his shoulder. As they talked pleasantly. Vicky was sweet and stupid. And she was easy.

Kyle had slept with her before. Tess had had flashes of that as well.

And she was a free woman now. Her breakup with Doug Hoag had been spectacular. And very public.

Maybe she was looking to rekindle something? Or was she going to use Kyle like she had earlier this summer. A safe haven and a good lay. Something to while away the hours while she looked for her next conquest.

Kyle’s eyes flickered back to hers.

Tess kept her demeanor calm.

She would not kill the hussy. She would not riddle the girls brains with nightmares and delusions.

No matter how tempting it would be. No matter how EASY it would be.

DIDN”T SHE KNOW THAT KYLE WAS HERS!

That tiny voice was back. Asking her why Vicky should know. Not even Kyle knew. She had made sure of that.

Maybe this would be a good thing. If Kyle had someone else, it would help Tess stay away from him.

But I don’t want to!

Tess blinked at that momentary burst of self honesty.

What of duty? What of Destiny?

What of Aric?

No. She had to stick to her original plan. She had to follow the path laid down for her before her birth. No matter how onerous it now seemed to her.

Maybe Max would take her up on his offer. A public marriage with private consorts.

Maybe. But maybe not.

No giving up Kyle would be hard. But it had to be done. Maybe this would be for the best.

At the same time, Tess should keep an eye on Kyle. Make sure that the situations that lay before him were to his benefit.

That meant she needed a date for Jan’s party.

But who.

Her gaze swiveled immediately to her table. Alex.

He was safe and wouldn’t expect all that much from her. And he might just do it as a friendly favor.

Besides it might do him good to be seen in the company of a beautiful woman. Give Isabel something to think about.

Because Alex would not always be there for her. Someday he would tire of being thrown back with unspoken promises.

Maybe she could help Alex and protect Kyle.

Excellent.

Besides she’d never really been to a Christmas party. It sounded fun.

So as the little band broke up to go to their separate classes, Tess followed Alex.

“Alex! Hold up for a moment!”

“Hmm. Tess? How can I help you?”

That was another thing about Alex. He was always polite. Tess wasn’t sure that he liked her anymore than his two gal pals, but at least he tried.

“Alex. Um. I have a favor I need to ask.”

“Okay. I don’t really know how I can help you.”

Tess looked at him. “IneedyoutotakemetoJan’sChristmasParty.”

Alex looked at her with a surprised smile. “Okay. Now that was worthy of Maria.”

Tess just glared at him and started to turn away. She had just made a total fool of herself. She used Aric’s training to keep her face from flushing.

She was only partly successful.

“Tess. Hold up. I’m not a hundred percent sure what you said, you said it so fast. But for a moment it sounded like you were asking me out on a date.”

“Not a date. I need to go to Jan’s party. I need someone to go with me.”

Alex winced, “And you, of course, assume that I’m available.”

Tess just looked at him. The poor fool was waiting on Isabel. Couldn’t he see that as long as there was no challenge Isabel wouldn’t truly chase him?

Alex just winced again. He shook his head. “Have you even been invited? That’s a pretty exclusive party.”

“I will be.”

Alex looked at her. Just looked at her.

Tess shivered slightly under that perceptive gaze. What did he see when he looked at her?

Alex’s face curved into a smile, a sympathetic one. “Okay. Assuming you score an invitation, I will go with you. On one condition.”

“What kind of condition?”

“That you go out on a date with me tonight.”

“Excuse me?”

“Tess. Not a romantic date. Just as friends.”

“But why?”

Again that measuring stare. “Because I have feeling I don’t really know you. You’ve always kept your distance from us lowly humans….”

Tess winced.

“And I would like to know what has changed.” He shook his head. “I would like to be your friend. If you would only let me.”

Tess looked at him and softly said, “Okay.”

“Senor Chows okay?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll call you after school to set up the rest of the details. But lets say around 7?”

Tess nodded.

Alex reached out his hand to Tess.

Tess grasped it.

“See you then,” Alex said. And he left.

Tess was suddenly aware that eyes were on her. It would be going around school now.

Alex Whitman had asked Tess Harding out.

And she had said yes.

Tess was thoughtful as she walked to her next class.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 3- 10/22/09

Post by PML »

Sorry about the lack of regular posting on this story, but I am participating in Nanowrimo. So any posts for any of my stories other than A Teardrop of Fire will be sporadic at best. Tonight however, after banging away a solid four thousand words on Teardrop, I find myself unable to sleep and pounded out a respectable number for this story.

I am going to be exhausted tomorrow.

Hope you folks enjoy the next part.

chanks_girl- Thanks. I'm glad you like this Tess. Alex is kind of counting on a reaction from Isabel. But he also really wants to understand Tess.

jake17- Thanks, Carrie. I hope you continue to enjoy. thanks for the bump.

jbangelo- Tess has the advantage of being the outsider looking in. Not a fun place to be, but it can give a perspective that others might not have. The date happens next part. And it will be fun.

killjoy- Glad you like it so far. As for Tess's mindwarps, she has the power, it would be second nature to redo things all the time. She still believes that she must, not want by this point, but only must reclaim Max. And having Kyle around, particularty a Kyle that she loves would make that complicated at best.

Hope you continue to enjoy.

spacegirl23- Thanks. I also really liked the friendship dynamic they started with on the show, and wished they had kept working with it. Maybe even incorporating the Pod Squad in such moments.

What makes it even worse for Tess is that she has to hide it. She has to pretend that she doesn't really want Kyle. And try to make everyone believe it. Including herself. Needless to say she is not entirely successful.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Tess is wavering, but will it be enough. Tess has no clue that Mindwarping can be dnagerous. Not a clue.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 4

Kyle-

Kyle woke up. He felt…. Good. Sated.

Of course, he really couldn’t see why he felt that way. I mean a nap is nice and all, but this was ridiculous.

He closed his eyes and pictured various women, both classmates and playmates. Hey it passed the time.

It always came back to one girl. One single unattainable beautiful girl.

Tess. Why did it always have to be Tess? Why were all of his dreams, and that meant all of them consumed by the woman? It had gotten to the point where he felt like he could FEEL here as she moved around the house.

Like right now he could feel her, hmm, that would be around the bathroom…. And the shower is running. A smile drifted across his face at the mental image of a showering Tess….

Images coursed across his mind, flickering images filled with emotional and physical sensations. He lay there, mouth agape as they rolled across him.

And vanished.

But for just a moment he remembered. Remembered coming home. Remembered making a snack and discussing what Tess should wear for her date with Alex.

A date with Alex. Alex? What the…..

Tess wouldn’t say exactly why, just that he had asked her. And she had said yes.

Did that mean that if he asked her, she would say yes. His heart begged him to ask the question. Because if she was on the market, he was definitely going to pursue her again. But she had seemed so determined to land Max…..

--------

So he asked her…..

“NO. It would be too hard for me to resist.”

“Resist what?”

“This……” And she kissed him.

Kyle just stared at her. Had he died and gone to Heaven.

Wait. Did he still believe in Heaven? Kyle’s mind wandered trying to fit this into his half understood Buddhist afterlife scenario.

Tess just looked at him, her lips lightly bruised from their long passionate kiss. “Does it count that I want to quit, but it is the same day and I’ve already not quit? Or is it okay because I’ve already given in. And tomorrow is tomorrow and so today would be okay.”

Kyle just stared at her in confusion. He wanted her. He felt like she wanted him somehow. But that was insane!

She was after Max and she was going on a date with Alexander Whitman of all people and where did that leave him?

Tess was nodding to herself. “I think its still okay, don’t you?”

“Is it bad for you?”

“It’s something I want. Something I’ve tasted and I want to keep. But something I can’t keep. And it hurts, Kyle. It hurts more everyday. Each day I give in only will make it hurt more in the end.”

“Then maybe you shouldn’t. Is this some kind of alien drug or something? I mean I know Max went bonkers on booze, is there some pill or something that drives you nuts? I mean withdrawal symptoms are no fun.”

“A drug? I guess you could say that. The more I have it the more I want it. But I can’t keep…. I can’t keep…..” Tess began to cry.

And Kyle held her. He swore that he would protect her from any harm.

He had never believed in unrequited love. Had never understood why Michael and Isabel and Max were always so broody and boring.

And he still didn’t get the boring part.

But the brooding. Now that he understood all to well now.

They loved someone they did not believe they could ever have. And if by some chance they did, they had the foreknowledge that it was doomed from the start.

Oh, yeah, he understood now. All too well.

He looked at the girl in his arms and wished…. Wished so hard that she could be his. That she would give up this insane quest that seemed to cause her more pain than it could possibly be worth. That she could somehow see him and how much he loved her and…..

‘Wait this is stupid. I love her. She might love me. What is the worst thing that can happen?

‘She turns my brain into a puddle.

‘Okay, there is that. But right now, my brain may as well be sloshing on the floor for all the good it is doing me. I am holding the woman of my dreams, who is bereft for whatever reason, and she doesn’t even know that I love her.

‘If after I tell her she wants me to leave her alone I will. But I’m not going to be like Max and obsess about a girl who doesn’t know I exist until she almost dies. No, I will tell her.

‘But she’s so sad. Is now really the time to let her know?

‘Well it’s not like I’m going to tell her I want to have my wicked way with her right here and now. I just need to show her I care. And that I’m interested if she did ever want to work her way into my eager hands.’

“Tess?” He pulled back slightly, still holding her but far enough away that he could get a good look at her face. “Tess if there is anything that you need, anything at all, please let me know. I, I love you.”

Buddha save him, are there any harder words to say?

“You love me,” Tess said quietly. “You don’t even know what is going on, what I’ve done and you still love me.”

Kyle looked down at her face, at the beautiful blue eyes that seemed full of emotion. So many that he couldn’t quite read.

Tess pushed him away slightly and turned around. She started to walk towards the bedroom….. “Oh, screw being strong today. Let’s just get it over with and maybe I won’t be late for my date with Alex.” And she removed her blouse. “Do you mind helping me with the bra?”

Part of Kyle’s mind was numb with shock. The rest, well the rest was quite ready and willing to take advantage of the situation. Removing the bra was easy.

Some guys had problems with it, but really it was pretty simple. Of course Kyle had practiced.

The one thing sports had taught him is that while practice would not always make him perfect, it did reduce the chance you’d totally embarrass yourself.

And Kyle Valenti made love to Tess Harding for the first time…. For the fourteenth time.

-------

Kyle shook his head to clear it. For a moment there he thought he remembered something. Something important.

Well, whatever. It was gone now.

Kyle looked up as Tess came out of the bedroom. She looked great. Not so dressed up to seem anything more than casual, but still….. Tess always looked great. Those jeans, and that blouse really made her eyes…..

Stop it Kyle. There is not point remember?

“Hey, Tess, you look great. Have fun.” Those last words has sounded a little stilted, but he’d at least been able to force himself to say them.

Tess just smiled at him and walked into the laundry room. Cleaning her sheets. Again.

That was what, the tenth or eleventh time just this month. Strange.

She walked out, her cheeks had a faint blush to them, almost a glow. “Hey Kyle, could you toss those sheets into the dryer for me? You said you would do anything for me.”

“I guess.”

“Thanks. And Kyle, I’ll see you later.”

“Right. Bye. Have fun.”

Tess walked over as if to give him a kiss. She stopped five feet away. “You really don’t have time for this Tess. Be strong. Come on you promised yourself.” She visibly steeled herself and said, “You too.”

Kyle turned on the TV. He then felt as Tess crossed the distance and planted a quick kiss on his forehead.

It felt like lightning coursing through his system. And it felt so good. Strange but good.

He looked over at Tess. A Tess who was visibly wavering. She stopped. “Okay. Bye now.”

Kyle watched at Tess left.

He ignored the feeling that he could still sense her presence after the door. Or that he could feel her growing fainter as she got further away in her car.

But the truth was, if you had asked Kyle to point out where Tess was anywhere in the world. He could.

He just didn’t know it.

Yet.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) A/N- 11/21/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story. Note that Aric IS Nasedo. Nasedo was the name given to an alien that helped Riverdog. It was then applied by the hybrids to Aric. He never told them his name and there was never a real reason for Tess to.

chanks_girl- Tess is falling very hard and doing the best she can to convince herself that she is not. That connection is something she is trying to deny. Because forming a deep connection to Kyle pretty much ends any chance of getting Max. (Or in truth, wanting anyone but Kyle)

Kyle on the otherhand sees another doing something he desperately wants, (Just because he can't conciously realize what has happened due to Mind warp, part of him still recognizes the connection. And wants Tess. Bad.)

Earth2Mama- Tess was raised to duty. That she was literally created to fit one specific role. It will be hard for her to see that there can be another role for her. And all those mindwarps are NOT healthy.

But at this point no one knows that.

killjoy- Tess doesn't realize that the mindwarps can damage someone. She has never lived in one place long enough to warp someone to death. Or if she did they moved away before the damage became obvious. She simply doesn't know.

jake17 Thanks

mary mary Thank you.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 5

Tess

Tess did not want to admit how hard it was climbing into her SUV and driving away. She could feel him slowly growing more distant. A part of her wanted to cry.

Get a grip Tess its only a few miles. Sheesh. What would I do if I had to go to Antar tomorrow?

Light years, Tess. Not just measly miles.

That might kill her she thought. Okay. Somehow she needed to detox herself from Kyle. Needed to reorient her focus on Max.

Aric would be back in town soon. He would not be pleased that she was playing around with the humans rather than focusing on something productive. Like making babies with Max. Preferably lots of babies, but at the very least the old heir and spare.

The man was a Monarchist to the core. He had served Antar for decades and expected her to do the same. What was that old Victorian saying? Lie back and think of England, or Antar in her case.

She pulled up to Senor Chow’s and saw Alex sitting on the hood of his car waiting for her. As she pulled up he was at her door smiling at her.

Why did he always seem so happy, so positive? Couldn’t he see how dark and dreary the real world was? The man was perceptive, why couldn’t he see?

“Hi Tess.”

“Alex.”

Alex smiled and looked her over. “Looking as good as ever.” He cocked his head to the side. “There’s almost a glow to you, you must have been looking forward to this more than I thought.”

‘Or I just had sex. Hot passionate sex that I could have had seconds on, but instead I’m here with you. Because I need to be strong…..

Damnit!’

“It has been a while since anyone has taken me anywhere that wasn’t a group activity.”

“Huh. I would have thought you’d get a ton of dates. I know you did last year.”

“What is the point? Max is my Destiny. It doesn’t matter what I think or want, it is what is. What I was made for.”

Alex nodded slightly as if adding it to a mental file on her. If he started rattling inane psychobabble at her she was going to…. Well nothing. But get really annoyed.

She had in truth been looking forward to this. It really had been a while since she’d been on a date, even a friends only date.

She closed her eyes slightly as they walked into the restaurant. What would Aric think?

Would he punish her, or punish Alex? Her deepest fear was that he might hurt Kyle. And he would if he found out that she was sleeping with him.

And he would find out if she kept it up. Today had to be the last day. It had to be.

She slumped into her booth, her energy suddenly gone. Visions of making out with Max, with talking with the over cautious fool…. No not a fool, just much to concerned about small stuff.

Like nagging both Isabel and her for using their powers as much as they did. Didn’t he realize how much people edit out of their lives without her even needing to mind warp?

“What is wrong? Tess? It’s like you went from cloud nine to the pit of despair in record time.”

“Its nothing.”

Again the perceptive glance and the slight nod. Alex began to regale her with a complex and funny story about his misadventures with Liz and Maria.

Just light fluff. But Tess could feel it working. She could feel her mood lightening.

All through the early part of their dinner he kept her amused with the small anecdotes, calming and soothing her.

Then he asked her about her life. Her misadventures growing up.

Tess didn’t even really notice how quickly it had all turned onto her, onto her own life. She found herself telling Alex things she’d never told anyone. Oh they were edited to keep the alien content low.

Just because it seemed safe and no one was listening it was still a public place. People will often ignore you doing the impossible, but if they hear the semi plausible but ridiculous scenario and they’ll believe it. Humans are strange.

So she told him all about her life on the road with Aric. About his constant promises and gifts. His constant attempts to buy her love. But she had long known he had scant real affection for her.

She was a duty and a responsibility. A task to be undertaken. None of the others understood, they had only seen him as Nasedo. As a ruthless alien willing to do anything to protect them.

And that was part of Aric, a part that had been there all along but that she had ignored. Oh, she had always known that he was not her true father. That her true father lived on another world. And that her place was there, with her real family.

But that some of her family, her closest friends and loves were trapped on Earth with her. And all she needed to do was to….

“So you really expected them to just recognize you right off the bat? For Max to just leap into your arms?”

“Yes. I really did. And you know, they could sense something about me. I know that they could. I mean I could feel it, why couldn’t they?”

“Why didn’t you just approach them directly rather than go about your rather indirect methods. That part of you making Isabel and Michael think they were going to have a child….. It really wigged Isabel out.”

“I just couldn’t understand how they couldn’t just sense me. So I sent out more blatant signals….”

“You mind warped them.”

Tess shook her head. Then stopped. “Well maybe just a little. But there are preprogrammed signals in us. Things that are supposed to make us do certain things. I mean they obviously worked in the Dupes case.”

“And look how well that turned out.” Alex reached out and held her hand, trying to persuade her to his view…

Tess just looked at him. It was true. That group had followed Destiny. And it had destroyed them.

“Excuse me? What the hell do you think you are doing Tess?”

It was Isabel. And she was NOT amused.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 5- 12/08/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Hope you enjoy the scene.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Isabel is in an interesting place at the moment. This is set in late December season 2.

Tess has a decision to make. She will need all the friends she can get to make the right one. And not the easy one.

Alex is an expert in calming people down.

jake17- Thanks. Aric is going to show up at some point soon. And he will not be happy about events in Roswell. Plus Kyle is going to start showing affects soon.

As for Isabel, well I hope you enjoy the scene. Just remember its a Kyle POV....

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 6

Kyle-

Kyle looked carefully at the pool table and planned his shot. He nodded to himself. An idiot could make this shot. And he would win.

Kyle liked winning. Particularly where money was involved.

He prepared to take his shot, mind and body mostly in balance to make the perfect shot. But a tiny bit was paying attention to the couple sitting halfway across the restaurant.

Nice of Senor Chows for providing him a reason to be here.

It wasn’t like he didn’t trust Alex. Because he did. The man was fixated almost entirely on Isabel, the poor fool. And even if he wasn’t the man was a complete gentleman.

His friends likely called Alex pathetic. He wasn’t very athletic and he wasn’t taken very seriously by the girls of West Roswell.

In truth, Kyle himself once thought so. And Kyle had been wrong. He was more than willing to admit it, if only to himself. The man had a solid steel core and he was the epitome of loyalty.

He just wasn’t aggressive enough. At least not in the eyes of many of the jocks at West Roswell. And most of them had never spent enough time with him to realize what a great guy he was.

Someone you could actually trust. Unlike some of Kyle’s own so-called friends. He’d heard them talking behind his back, slandering him and making fun of his new beliefs.

He’d try to hid his switch to Buddhism for a reason, but these things do slip out.

No he was fairly sure that Alex wasn’t about to put the moves on Tess.

That didn’t mean that Kyle didn’t fear that Alex would steal her away from him. Alex might. Just look at Liz or Maria. They loved the boy.

More to the point, look at Isabel. Isabel might deny it, but she was attracted to Alex. Which was like the sun shining at night, but there you go. Alex had won her over.

Oh sure, Alex was being put through the wringer like every other teen that had set his eyes on Isabel. She was gorgeous.

Not as pretty as Tess, but then he might be biased.

“Are you going to take the shot?” asked his sometime friend, Malamoot.

“Yeah, just hold on will you.”

“I still can’t believe you still haven’t landed that blonde hottie over there. I mean, your doing something wrong if Whitman is serious competition.”

“He’s not competition.” Kyle lined up the shot.

“Then why are we here? Why this particular pool table? Come on man, I know you’ve been slipping lately, this is just sad.”

Kyle took the shot. And smiled. Perfect. “Pay up.”

Malamoot grumbled and fished into his pocket. He stopped momentarily. “Hey, that’s Vanessa! I’m going to say hi.”

“Like a moth to a flame. Are you that eager to be shot down?”

“Hey, at least I’m willing to try. Have you even asked Tess out? Why not at least put an attempt out and try a quick line or two with Claire, will I set up my future rendezvous with Vanessa….” Malamoot began to walk over to the two girls sitting at a booth.

And where Claire and Vanessa are their ringleader is often not far behind.

He spotted Isabel saunter confidently over to the table where Alex was pleading with Tess about something. And holding her hand tightly.

Kyle watched as Isabel began to speak. He was too far away to hear what was being said, but he could tell it was scathing.

How?

Well first it was an unhappy Isabel. Unhappy Isabel only had two modes. Whine and Scathe.

She vastly preferred scathing commentary to whining.

Now Alex can placate just about anything. Kyle had seen Alex calm Maria down from full tantrum mode. And that was an act of God in and of itself. If anyone could sooth Isabel it was him.

And definitely not Tess. Tess could bite her tongue. She could.

But she typically didn’t. Didn’t see the need, didn’t care about the pain she could inflict.

Both of them were very smart and very caustic.

‘Maybe Alex and I should have our heads examined?’

No, Kyle couldn’t hear. But he could see. Could see as Tess’s face switched from pensive but happy, to annoyed and enraged.

This could get messy. Even if they didn’t use their powers there might still be need of body bags. And if they used their powers…..

He needed to stop this. Tess had been enjoying her evening. How Kyle knew, he couldn’t say, but he knew it.

And now it was being threatened by ruin.

He didn’t even realize he’d made his decision until he was almost at their table. “Hey, Isabel. Tess, Alex. Funny meeting you here.”

Tess’s glare and look of disappointment was hard to take. Isabel’s demeanor of disdain and contempt almost as bad.

Alex looked at him like he was salvation incarnate.

Being a peacemaker did help his karma, right?

“What are you doing here Kyle?”

“Is there a reason you are bothering me Kyle? Isn’t there something else you could be doing? Like keeping that simian reject of a friend away from my friends. I think you should do that now. Bye, Kyle.” Isabel turned to lash at Tess again…..

Alex wisely remained silent.

“Isabel, we are going now. Just you and me. Let’s leave these two friends to enjoy their dinner together. We’re making a scene.”

Isabel stood up straight and loomed over him as much as she could. “And exactly why should that bother me?”

“Look, Isabel, under normal circumstances I would just pull Alex out of the line of fire, pop some popcorn and watch you two claw each others eyes out. Hell, I could sell seats. Particularly if I could add Jell-O to whole scene. Or mud. Not to mention you’re both kind of over dressed, but I expect that in between the hair pulling you would both be kind enough to rip your cloths in suitable places. Yep, I’d make a pretty penny.”

Tess looked both disgusted with him…. And amused. But then she knew him.

Isabel on the other hand just looked at him with such contempt….. “Who the HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MISTER!”

Kyle blinked. “Last I looked I was Kyle Valenti. A friend. Someone who is trying to help you keep attention away from you.” He looked around the restaurant.

Everyone was looking at them.

Isabel looked around. Her demeanor did not change one bit. But Kyle could tell that she was worried.

What would this do for her rep?

Kyle looked over at the booth Isabel had come from. And looked at Vanessa and Claire, who along with Malamoot were watching the whole show.

It would be the talk of school tomorrow. Heck, it could be the talk of the town.

Isabel Evans fights Tess Harding over Alex Whitman.

Yeah, there was something no one at school would have expected. Or stop talking about.

Vanessa seemed shocked and worried. But Claire…. Claire had a glimmer of satisfaction on her face.

Isabel had been set up.

And from the look on her face, she knew it. Probably trying to figure damage control as she stood there.

“Come on Is. We should go.”

Isabel nodded slightly and said softly. “Let me get my purse.”

Tess looked up at him. A twinge of annoyance still stood in her eyes. But it was swamped with layers of amusement and gratitude. “We should be going to. Thanks for dinner, Alex.”

Kyle gave her a quick kiss. And pushed her back into her seat. “Tess, enjoy the rest of your night. There’s no need to go home now.” Kyle turned to Alex. “Both of you do something, see a movie, play a round of miniature golf. Have fun.”

Alex looked at him gravely, and with a bit of surprised respect. And nodded.

Tess looked up at him, emotions swimming behind her impassive eyes. “We are going to talk when I get home, buster.”

“I love you, too.“ Kyle gave her another kiss, this one a little less… platonic.

There was a moment when he felt a rush. Images flashed behind his eyes only to vanish as fast.

Kyle just shook his head. His heart was pounding and he felt dizzy. “Bye.”

He started walking toward the door where Isabel was waiting for him.

Malamoot was still sitting in the booth with Claire and Vanessa. Watching them.

Another wave of dizziness and disorientation swept through him. Must maintain focus. Can not disrupt the rest of Tess’s evening.

It had been too long since she’d just had fun. And he wanted her to enjoy the evening, even if it wasn’t with him.

Because he loved her.

Kyle and Isabel left Senor Chows.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 6- 12/16/09

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

jake17- Thanks. Kyle really loves Tess. And while it might not net him anything tonight... It will pay dividends in the end.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. It would have turned into a physical fight without Kyle. Worse is that Tess's internal turmoil is starting to take a toll on her. There is a good chance she would have used her powers and that Isabel would have responded in turn. Now that would have been the talk of the town don't you think.

If you were Alex, what would you have done? As Stockman points out, Kyle's actions were borderline suicidal. Particularly since he knows what they can do.

stockman- As far as I am aware of Buddhism doesn't promote suicidal behavior. Kyle was simply concerned that things would get out of hand between those two. And he would have been right as well. Poor confused Kyle. You have a good grasp on this version of mind warps. It is a bit of both, actually. And yes it could prove awkward if he breaks out of the warp at the wrong time.

I think he would find it, um, stimulating to say the least. Lots of cold water highly advisable.

Alex did not know that Isabel knew where he would be. But it wasn't like it was a big secret either.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Could have gone either way. Without Kyle's intervention there would have been a fight. And Tess is not as stable as she seems at the moment for a variaty of reasons. there is a good chance powers would have been used. And that would have been bad.

We'll find out more about Isabel next part. Kyle was there partly to make sure that nothing bad happened while Tess was enjoying herself. And he's not too shabby at pool. Kyle was one of the few characters on the show that actually had fairly consistent positive growth throughout the series.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 7

Tess-

Tess found herself still hyped up, still ready for a fight.

Several of the other patrons of the restaurant were rubbing their heads as if they were confused or had a sudden headache.

Tess reigned in her power. She wasn’t like Michael. Light bulbs didn’t pop when she lost her temper. Her powers were those of the mind. Of the Soul.

When she lost control tempers could flare or people take sudden fright.

Tess had no clue what could happen if Isabel ever lost control. Tess had never seen her lose control at all.

The bitch. Always riling others up for playing with what she considered hers, even when she neglected them. Perhaps especially then. The whole guilt factor.

Isabel did not share.

Tess closed her eyes. That is how Ava had been on Antar. The popular Queen Bee type. With her own coterie of friends she had dominated the social scene in the Capital. It had been her popularity along with her father’s money and influence that had made her the obvious choice to marry the King.

Or so Aric has told her. How he had chuckled when he found out that Whitaker had thought I was the Vilandra hybrid. He had said that he had raised me right.

Not that Vilandra hadn’t liked having fun. She hadn’t tried to rule over everyone like Isabel does. Didn’t need to be seen as the top dog. Vilandra had lacked Isabel’s insecurity.

Vilandra had just assumed that she was one and hadn’t cared what others thought.

Tess rubbed her forehead.

Of course in this life it had been Tess who had been raised Royal. That might have made a difference.

Not that she was feeling all that special of late. Her sense and desire to pursue Destiny had faded. In part because Tess had watched Michael and Isabel with their human friends. Had watched as they pulled away and felt the pain.

Pain that Tess had caused. Necessary maybe, but pain none the less. And now with Kyle she was feeling it keenly herself.

Tess had never felt less like a reborn Queen than she had this week. The need to place her duty above her desires had never seemed so difficult.

Particularly when Kyle was so damn noble and wonderful to her, while she had ripped away what he had claimed had been some of the best times of his life.

Alex finally spoke, “He really cares for you. If he had been with Isabel, I don’t know that I would have done the same thing.”

Tess opened her eyes.

Alex had a very thoughtful look on his face. “Placing your needs above his. Yeah, he loves you.”

“I almost wish he didn’t”

“Why?”

Tess squirmed a little in her seat. She was saved from answering as their dinner was served. There was a light hum of conversation around them. Part of it undoubtedly about them.

Taking a bit of her sweet and sour burrito she sighed. She was glad Isabel had backed off. That Kyle had intervened.

His idea of a cat fight had not been far off.

This had been such a pleasant evening and she’d had damn few of them lately.

Alex was quiet a little longer. Watching her.

What was he thinking? That was the problem with Alex. He was so damn smart and he was good with people. Had he actually let those conversation points die, or was he merely waiting for another opportunity to inquire about her.

But he meant well. That always made it worse.

It was quiet for a few moments longer before he began to regale her with some funny story about Maria and their usual singer for his band. And it didn’t stop there. He had other funny stories and she felt as the tension that had built up with Isabel began to fade.

But all good things had to end. And so did their dinner. Tess stared at the empty plate a looked up with wide eyes at Alex.

Would he begin the questioning now?

“So what do you want to do now Tess? We can call it a day if your tired. Or a movie?”

Did Tess want to go home? Could she face Kyle right now? Or worse, could she face him not being home yet. Of his spending time with Isabel.

Sudden fear laced through her. Isabel really wasn’t the sort to do idle conquests. Despite all the innuendo among some of the jealous Isabel haters at school, Isabel didn’t deliberately cause trouble for them.

But she could. She didn’t as a rule. It wasn’t who she was.

But Isabel was so damn beautiful and relentless. That remained the same between her and Vilandra.

Isabel could steal Kyle’s affection. Particularly since Kyle didn’t realize how much he meant to Tess. Sure he loved her, but so much of what made him love her was hidden from his conscious mind.

Tess had heard some of Kyle’s friends talk about Isabel.

Before this she only had to worry about Vicky.

“Tess are you okay? Do you need to go home?”

Memories surfaced. Talking to Isabel about various people both of them had dated. And there had been one thing that Isabel had always had a glowing look on her face whenever she talked about Alex.

“Dancing.”

Alex quirked up one eyebrow. “Dancing? Doesn’t that risk the ‘friends only’ aspect of this date?”

“You asked what I wanted to do. Dancing.” It had the extra bonus that Tess might manage to tire Alex out of his questions.

Alex shrugged and they left.

And they went dancing.

Two glorious hours later Tess wondered why Isabel had ever let Alex go.

Worlds best dancer, probably not. But for a teenage boy in Roswell, the man could dance. And for a guy who wasn’t known for his athleticism he seemed tireless.

Tess wanted to his Isabel in the head with a rock. Didn’t she realize what she was missing here?

Alex himself looked flustered and unsure. Confused. The stories dried up and he was muttering to himself.

Tess would be worried, but a quick use of her powers could tell her that Alex was enjoying himself.

A magical evening for both of them. Friends.

And maybe more.

They both sat on the front of her SUV and gazed at the stars.

“It always amazes me that you all come from so far away.”

“And someday we will need to go back.”

“Why?”

“Duty.”

“Duty to a world that has abandoned you? Left all of you to your devices while your enemies hunted you for years? It has been over fifty years. Do you really think they are waiting for you to return.”

“Yes. They are. Why else did they have that stupid Summit?”

“I still don’t see…..”

“Alex. This speech, maybe it would work on Isabel. Not me. I was raised by Aric.”

“Aric?”

“That was Nasedo’s real name. At least that is what he referred to himself as. There might even be another Protector somewhere out to the west.”

“Another Protector?”

“Yeah, but apparently he makes Aric seem positively domestic. He’s abandoned us in truth. Lives life as a human now.”

“Is that so bad?”

Tess opened her mouth and then closed it. There had been a time when she had felt only contempt for humans. Echoes of Aric’s disdain for them.

That had changed. The group of people she’d been among these last few months…. Sure most of them ignored her or didn’t care for her. She wasn’t part of them.

But she wanted to be. She wanted it bad. Because if she were one of them she could keep Kyle. Could just live out her life on this primitive world.

The only world she had ever truly known. Tiny flashes and impressions….. Did she really wonder why the others were so leery of harping of Destiny?

Certainly most of the aliens didn’t seem to think highly of her. Not even her enemies took her to be much.

Tess began to shake and tremble. First one tear and then another.

But then what was she truly? Just the King’s arm candy. The Royal broodmare.

For the first time she really looked at what she had been fighting for. And she really wasn’t sure what it was. She thought back on that glorious day last May, when she had heard her vision of Destiny reinforced. When the Queen Mother had talked to her children.

Max the King. Isabel the Princess. Michael the warrior and betrothed to Isabel. And Tess the young bride.

Her importance had come solely from her relationship with Max. A relationship that he didn’t remember and didn’t really want to resume. They were friends.

And that was all.

It would take a lot of work, a lot of painstaking meticulous work to shift him from his current obsession with Liz. She could do it. Tess had already started. Already begun the process of becoming indispensable to Max.

It would take months, perhaps years to win Max totally.

Tears began to slip down her face. She held herself tight.

Alex was making sounds. Probably mouthing platitudes that he would actually mean, but still in the end meaningless.

Tess had always prided herself on her realistic outlook on life. On seeing what was actually there.

Only she’d been as deeply delusional as the others. Pushing a Destiny she didn’t really know if she wanted anymore.

Tess had been a fool. And she’d known it since she’d come back from New York. Where she had truly learned how unimportant she really was.

Aric had saved her, but only as a means to an end. To find out that he had actually been awake when she had been tortured by Whitaker, but that he had been busy Protecting the others to rescue her. The only reason he had rescued her in New York was because Max might get hurt rescuing her himself.

If Max hadn’t tried to save her, there was a good chance Tess would be dead right now. Dead or worse.

Alex was holding her. Trying to sooth a completely distraught Tess.

Slowly Tess regained control of herself. Felt as she calmed down in Alex’s warm embrace. And so her next action seemed totally appropriate.

She kissed him.

After a moment he kissed back.

Nothing. She felt nothing. She backed herself away. “Sorry.”

Alex just shook his head. “Don’t be. I was wondering, wondering if…..”

Tess cocked her head at his questioning, “Wondering what?”

“If it was Isabel, or if it was just that she was alien.”

“What?”

“Every time I kiss her…. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like fireworks going off. There’s a sense of rightness. Of, of…” He looked at Tess sheepishly, “Of destiny. Like we were made to be together.”

“And with me?”

Alex just smiled sadly.

Tess nodded. “I actually was wondering the same thing. You’ve been so wonderful and this has been such a great night. And, and you were holding me. It just seemed the right thing to try.”

“But I’m not Kyle.”

“What does Kyle have to do with this?”

“Everything I think. I think you are in love with him.”

“I can’t let myself be. I simply can’t”

Alex smiled, “But you are. I think I should take you home now. Both of us are going to be exhausted at school as it is.”

“Wednesday, ugh.”

Alex nodded. “Seriously though, why is it so bad that you’ve fallen for the Sheriff’s son. It’s not like neither of them know who and what you are. There is no need for pretence.”

Tess looked at Alex. At her friend. Could she trust him?

Not about Kyle. He’d go nuts if he found out what she’d been doing with Kyle. Not the sex probably. But the mind warps. Yeah, she couldn’t tell anyone about that.

But she thought she knew Alex enough that he would keep probing until he got an answer that satisfied him. Maybe not the full truth, but enough to keep him wary about probing more.

“Alex, I can tell you something, but you have to keep it in total secrecy. You can not tell anyone. There is a reason I can not love Kyle.”

Alex was dead serious. “Tess if our friends are in danger, I can’t hold something from them.”

“They are not in danger from this. Not directly. He can’t really hurt anyone like that anymore.”

“Who?”

“Promise first, Alex.”

Alex looked highly annoyed. “Fine. But if I think it endangers our friends I can not promise to hold my tongue. Baring that, I promise that I will not speak of it unless you tell me it is okay.”

Tess closed her eyes. She really needed to tell someone about this. Kyle didn’t count. She kept stripping his memory, and it just wouldn’t be the same. No she wanted someone other than herself thinking about this situation.

Maybe Alex could see something she couldn’t.

“Can you at least promise that you will tell me before you blab it out to everyone else?”

Alex nodded.

“Aric is alive.”

“Who is Aric?”

“You called him Nasedo. He is alive and Protecting his charges. And making sure his plan is still working.”

“Plan?”

“Destiny. He is a big believer in Destiny. Remember your promise.”

Alex was quiet as he got into Tess’s SUV.

Tess could almost hear the wheels turn in his head. He remained quiet as she drove him back to his car. After a few quiet good nights they departed and Tess made her way home, wondering if she had done the right thing.

Could she trust Alex with this?

It was almost midnight as she came back home. The Sheriff wasn’t home, but Kyle was. She braced herself for an onslaught of questions and possible accusations.

She slowly walked into the house. Kyle was sleeping on the couch.

Just sleeping.

She walked over and gave him a kiss on the forehead. And shivered at the trail of electric fire that worked along her nerves at even such an innocent kiss.

She loved him. She had bonded him. That much she was too late for. She couldn’t avoid that now.

But what could she do? Aric WOULD be coming back to Roswell at any time. And he would not be pleased.

The man had been so happy after they had returned from New York. He’d been so sure that she had turned a corner with Max.

And he’d been right. They were now friends.

Did Tess really want to change that. Did Tess really want Destiny?

She wasn’t sure. But what else could she do?

Tess watched Kyle sleep for a very long time. Thinking and pondering. Wondering if she could really change. If she wanted to change.

And if she did, how to counter Aric.

Even after she finally lay down, these thoughts filled her mind. And her dreams.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 7- 12/26/09

Post by PML »

Thanks as always to everyone following along. Hope everyone had a great New Year's.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Tess is very confused at the moment. She has accepted her place in Destiny at face value for such a long time. And now she is not sure what she wants. Well, she knows what she wants. She just doesn't know if she can have it. Here is hoping she makes the right decisions.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Tess has a lot to think about. She has taken so much of what Aric told her as if it were set in stone. She simply hasn't thought it through. And now she will have to. She is very confused.

jake17- Thanks.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 8

Kyle-

Kyle looked over at Isabel. Her mouth was compressed in thought as she left Senor Chows. “So, coffee?”

“Hmmm?”

“Coffee. You know, that black stuff that wakes those of us who are mere mortals. I vaguely remember seeing you imbibe some as well. Unless you plan on returning and smiting your rival with your mighty powers.”

“Kyle…..” Her voice was thick with annoyance, but her gaze was still lost in thought, staring back into the restaurant.

“So, coffee?”

“Yes. Get me out of here.”

Both of them got into the car and drove towards the Crashdown.

Isabel spoke up as the pulled up, “Not here please. I don’t want to see any of our friends. Not at the moment.”

“Um, okay. How about the Denny’s off Main and Lowell? Or would you prefer me to just take you home.”

Isabel shook her head. “Denny’s will be fine.”

Kyle drove them there. He started to get out of the car. Isabel was still staring off into space. “Isabel? Are you okay?”

“Um, yeah. Are we there yet.”

“Do you want me to open your door for you?”

Isabel glared and got out of the car. “What is with you tonight?”

“I was wondering the same about you. You do realize you were set up?”

“Yes, but I, I don’t…. I don’t understand why I did what I did.”

“You were jealous.”

Isabel tossed her head in disdain, “I don’t get jealous. I make others jealous of me.”

“Right. How silly of me. I take it you have another set of clones out there? That was the girl I saw there looking every inch about to cause a major scene over Alex holding Tess’s hand.”

Isabel opened her mouth. She closed it and looked away, staring up at the sky.

“So look at me an honestly tell me that you weren’t jealous there.”

“What were you doing there yourself?”

“Making sure she had a good evening.”

“You expected me to show up and ruin Tess’s night?”

“No. But, well, damn it! She’s had it rough these last few months!”

“And I haven’t?” Isabel glared at him.

“Do you know what she went through in New York? She hasn’t mentioned it all, but sometimes when she sleeps…. She has these nightmares. And, and, I just thought she needed something good to happen to her.”

Isabel just looked away.

“So, yeah, maybe you’ve had it tough. Hell, we all have. Fighting off the Skins wasn’t my idea of fun, Isabel. This little alien invasion has inverted my life!”

“Kyle, go inside get us two large coffees. To go.”

“Um, okay. I was kind of hoping to get something to eat. Growing boy and all…..”

“Fine, Kyle. But get it to go.”

“To-go. Got it. Um, did you want anything.”

“I’m really not hungry.”

“Okay. Are you sure, I mean I spring for it and…..”

“Kyle….”

“Right.” What is it with blondes and a short temper anyway?

Kyle was half way through the door when images flooded his mind. Images of Tess.

Of him and Tess.

And then it was gone. He felt flushed and aroused. And his head pounded, sharp streaking pains all across his head.

His vision blurred for a second and he nearly fell. He caught himself on the door handle.

Another customer looked at him.

“Uh, sorry, just tripped.”

Kyle’s vision straightened out and the pain stopped as suddenly as it had begun. He shook his head. That had been worrisome.

Why was he in here again? Oh, yeah, he was hungry. The waitress got him a table and he sat down. He looked at the menu.

He told her he would start with coffee…..

Isabel. She was going to kill him. He quickly ordered a burger and fries and two coffees to go. He waited nervously, expecting Isabel to rush in at any minute. He grabbed his food and the coffee and hurried to his car.

Isabel was inside of his car doing something.

Hopefully not anything too destructive. Kyle had a little money saved up, but not enough if Isabel went on the warpath against his car.

Kyle rushed up. “Um, sorry that took me so long.”

Isabel looked up and blinked at Kyle. “Okay. Um, I hope you don’t mind that I reorganized your CD collection. It just was such a jumble and I…..”

“You reorganized my CD collection?”

“Yes, it should be so much more efficient. I started with alphabetical and followed similar artists by date of release and you know there are a couple of these I would like to borrow and copy.”

“You can copy CD’s?”

“Simplicity.”

“Uh, sure, just give me the old ones back.” He handed her the coffee. And a solid dozen sweeteners and pulled out a bottle of Tabasco from the dash. “I take Tess to eat some nights.”

Isabel smiled and began adding sugar. Lots of sugar.

Why these aliens didn’t die of diabetic shock always amazed him. He’d actually seen Tess put frosting on top of a glazed donut.

“So where do you want to go?”

“How about the Observatory. It’s usually dead this time of the night on school nights. We need to talk.”

“Yeah, that’s fine.” Kyle was quiet as the drove. He was aware of Isabel stealing some of his fries from his bag. He had done this before with Tess. He’d gotten two orders of fries and a couple of burgers. Worse case scenario he’d eat both of them. Most likely he’d just get one of each.

He sometimes wondered if the food didn’t count if it was from the guys plate.

He stopped in front of the Observatory. “Okay. We’re here. So what did you want to talk about?”

“A couple of things. Just want to get them straightened out. First why did you sleep with Liz?”

Kyle blinked. He hadn’t exactly expected that one. He should have. But he hadn’t. He needed to think fast….. “Um.”

Isabel nodded. “That’s what I thought. Why did you pretend to sleep with Liz?”

“Pretend, why would I pretend?”

“I don’t know. That is why I’m asking.”

“How did this go from you basically going berserk on Tess over Alex of all people to my love life?”

“Because if you truly love life you will answer me.”

Kyle just glared at her. “Because she asked me to. Because I’m her friend.”

Isabel nodded thoughtfully. “She could trust you. Trust you to strip down but not take advantage of her. Yes, I can see it now.” Her eyes were angry when the flicked back to his face, “Do you realize how badly you have screwed up my brother?”

“I can’t honestly say there’s a lot of love there, Isabel.”

“You owe him your life.”

“He’s the reason it was in danger in the first place.” The two of them glared at each other.

“Why?”

“I told you. She asked.”

“No, why did she ask?”

“I don’t know. She never told me. I just thought she wanted to push him away. He’d been badgering her for a while, you know. To resume their relationship.”

Isabel just sighed and got out of the car.

Kyle followed pulling the bag out. “So I got another hamburger, are you sure you don’t need something…..”

Isabel looked at him strangely and shook her head. “Yeah, I kind of made a dent in your fries. I guess I was hungrier than I thought.”

“Don’t worry, I got two orders.” He set his hamburger and fries down and handed Isabel hers.

Both of them ate for a few minutes. Isabel studied him. A few more quiet moments later she broke the silence. “So how long have you been in love with Tess?”

“In love with Tess?” Images flickered through his mind. And vague impressions. He faced back towards town. And if you had drawn a line from his where his eyes stared you would have seen Tess even now dancing with Alex. His heart felt both very full and very tight. Full of joy and despair.

He loved Tess so much and he knew that he couldn’t have her.

He closed his eyes. He was not going to cry. Not here. Not now.

Kyle longed to lash into Isabel, to make her feel just a little of what he felt here and now.

“There is no point in hiding it. It was pretty obvious before, but tonight.” Isabel shook her head sadly. “You know, it would be better if you just forgot her. We are too dangerous to love. Our enemies will never stop. And then…..” She stopped and looked away.

Kyle could see the flicker of a tear in the dim light of the Observatory’s light.

Kyle tried to keep his voice light, but he couldn’t quite manage it. “So is that why you and Alex…..”

“No. Maybe a little. But no.”

“Then why?”

“Because I love him and, and. I, I can’t keep him. And I…..” Isabel began to cry.

Kyle just stared at her.

Isabel was crying. He hadn’t thought that could happen. Isabel caused tears, not shed them.

He awkwardly held her.

She felt nice in his arms. He’d always known that she would. He had never even thought about chasing her.

Out of his league. The beauty of a rose with all the thorns to match.

Just like Tess. Only Tess was so much more approachable.

That just made it worse.

Kyle’s heart began to ache. And the tears he had fought so strongly began to fall down his own cheeks.

A few moments later Isabel backed off. And looked away. “God, we are so pathetic.”

“Yeah.”

Isabel looked at him firmly, “I’m not with Alex because he scares me. He’s not supposed to be someone I want. He’s smart and he’s funny, but he’s, well he’s kind of ordinary. And he makes me feel, feel almost normal. But I’m not normal. I will never be normal.”

“I think Alex understands that.”

“My name was Vilandra.”

“What?”

“My name. On Antar. My name was Vilandra. And I’m the reason we all died. Me. I betrayed them all because I feel in love. I, I can’t trust myself. Not when I feel like this, not when I….” She broke back into tears. She looked up at him and in between sobs said, “And I want it so much, but how can I trust myself?”

It took a few hours to get the whole story as she knew it. And she didn’t know much. Just who she had been and that she had been the betrayer. That it had been that reason Whitaker had taken Tess. She told him how she had tried to draw Nicholas off. And the disastrous consequences.

Learning that it had been at Lonnie’s instigation that Rath had killed Zan….

Isabel was deathly afraid of herself. Of loving anyone or anything. Even herself. Because she was afraid.

Kyle did his best. He wasn’t great at touchy feely stuff. But he tried to soothe her.

She had watched him as he drove away.

He had so much to think about. So very much.

He staggered to the couch and collapsed. His dreams were vivid and strange. And he did not wake until morning.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 8- 01/02/10

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Earth2Mama- thanks. Both Tess and Isabel are on the cusp of sharing thier secrets with their loved ones. Tess believes that Alex is trustworthy, and Isabel that Kyle is loyal. But if either of them had freaked out or gone nuts over the news, likely their loved one would never know. Baby steps for both of the hybrid girls.

As for Tess, she is trying to be a good girl and is afraid of Aric showing up unexpectedly. (Don't worry, it won't last long.)

killjoy- Thanks. Those mindwarps will have an effect soon. They are the reason he keeps staggering from time to time. They are affecting his focus and coordination.

chanks_girl- Thanks. You know that is something that I think they did not cover enough. It wasn't just that they were aliens, they were adolescent aliens, and just as subject to all that brings. The problem is that who can she truly confide in? The best person would be Alex and, well there is a lot of guilt there for her. A/I is definately a secondary couple for this story.

As for the kiss, I could see a very confused Tess doing that. And make no mistake the girl is totally confused right at this moment. She needs that teen talk as much as Isabel.

jake17- Thanks. Isabel has a large compassionate side to her that she desperately hides. Remember that she would likely be very familair with Kyle. They probably never went out but they likely hung around the same crowd. She believes she can trust him. She is right. as for Kyle.... well he's got a lot to think about. Isabel's confession made the whole past lives thing very real for him.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended-

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 9

Tess

Wednesday morning was sweet torture for Tess. Kyle had offered to talk to her about the previous night, but she had demurred.

And had given him a single kiss in thanks.

Her body wanted more. Much, much more from him. But there were two reasons she didn’t just jump him before school.

First, she was going to try cold turkey. To just try and stop needing him. To forget how he made her feel.

She had to get used to it. Aric would be home soon.

He had actually emailed her saying he would be due in on Friday. But he was unpredictable and quite capable of showing up early just to see if she was doing what he wanted her to be doing.

And making love with Kyle would not be a good thing in his books.

He could be watching her right now. Right this very moment.

He had a variety of very impressive tricks that made him very dangerous. He could be invisible. He couldn’t move when he was cloaked, but he could remain so still no one could see him. And he could move through most solids.

Nicholas had never seen him coming when he had attacked the Skin from the wall behind him.

No, Tess was very much afraid that Aric was in Roswell at this moment. She might be wrong, but why risk it.

So it was time to get used to not being with Kyle.

The Bond would remain, of course. There were supposed to be ways to eliminate them, but she was fairly sure that Aric would choose the easiest.

And killing Kyle was not an option for Tess.

She would just stay away.

Her second reason was more basic. While Aric might be in town, the Sheriff was very much a presence this morning. Somehow she was sure that he wouldn’t approve of her and Kyle going at it like bunnies.

So instead she made breakfast and generally had a quiet and nice morning.

But saying she was on edge when she showed up for school was an understatement. And she had to get control of herself and her emotions soon, because it was beginning to affect her fellow students. And the shrill bickering that was causing was beginning to give her the worst migraine…..

And her whole plan to avoid Kyle….

It wasn’t working.

She found that she was drawn to him like a magnet. Luckily she could do some of Aric’s hide in plain sight tricks or the gossip swirling around the school this morning would be even more lurid.

She and Isabel might have well have had a power duel on the floor of Senor Chows for what the students of West Roswell thought. Two of the prettiest girls fighting over Alex Whitman? Kyle Valenti acting as peace maker?

Tess and Alex dancing the night away and slipping off to some lovers lane or something. Isabel and Kyle dropping off the face of the Earth for the rest of the evening. Half the rumors had them at some no-tell motel.

Which had better not be true or there would be one very DEAD hybrid!

Tess deliberately stopped gnashing her. Her eyes drifted away from Kyle and his friends….. Kyle was surprisingly popular this morning. Of course, if the talk was of him defrosting the Ice Queen, he would be.

She was pulled out of her reverie by the sound of the voices dying away. Tess looked up.

Isabel was looking right at her. And she was NOT happy. She was all but radiating a cold implacableness, a glacier about to crush a tiny house underfoot.

In fact by the effects on her fellow schoolmates, she was radiating a sense of intimidation. Which combined with Tess’s uncontrolled power lashing about their unshielded minds made it a wonder that none of them had headed for the hills.

A quick sidelong glance by Isabel noted the crowd and her face got even colder. If that were possible.

What temperature did you reach after you past Absolute Zero? She’d have to ask Liz.

Tess shook her head. Those damn flashes from Kyle. Affecting her reactions.

“Tess. We need to talk.” Chipped frozen nitrogen could not have sounded colder. Isabel reached out her hand and grabbed one of Tess’s.

“Uh, Isabel, where are we going?”

“To talk in private.” Isabel glared in all directions. “Don’t all of you have something else to do!”

Again that wave of icy implacableness lashed out against those watching them. People began to drift away, quite a few of them in fear.

This was a side of Isabel that Tess had heard about but not seen. Not in its entirety.

Tess saw Kyle look at Tess and gulp. His gaze flicking to Isabel and he began walking over. Tess shook her head.

A stubborn look flashed across his face. Tess angrily waved him away. Wincing inside at the hurt look that she saw there. The slight slump of his shoulders as he walked away.

Tess shook her own head as Isabel lead her away.

This was no time for feeling guilty about hurting Kyle’s feelings. Tess looked up at Isabel.

And was shocked. Underneath the anger there was a sense of fatigue and exhaustion. What was wrong with the girl?

Tess was surprised at their destination. The Second Floor Eraser Room.

Isabel opened the door. Perhaps it was locked. Perhaps not. It didn’t matter, it opened at Isabel’s touch.

Both Tess and Isabel stood there as Michael and Maria continued their make out session. The two of them were obviously completely oblivious to the fact that they were no longer hidden from sight.

Tess looked up at Isabel, amused. What would Isabel think of her Antaran Chosen making out with Maria?

If Tess had been expecting jealousy or anger, she was mistaken. Fondness mixed with envy. A quick flash of envy yes, but not at Maria per se……

Maybe Tess wouldn’t have caught the subtle nuances if she weren’t privy to her own version. Isabel wasn’t envious over Michael’s affection for Maria. She was envious of the girl’s brazen ability to enjoy it. At Michael’s ability to manage to gain enjoyment out of his human counterpart even while the specter of alien doom still hung over his head.

Maybe, maybe that is what Tess should embrace. Should enjoy her Earth years to the full to carry her during the Antar portion of her life.

Funny how once she’d thought she’d enjoy Antar so much more, but if it meant being without Kyle…..

Isabel cleared her throat.

Nothing.

She did it a second time. Louder.

Not quite loud enough to completely drown out Maria’s moan of pleasure as Michael’s hand slipped up her blouse…..

Tess looked up at Isabel, a bit of nervous laughter slipping from her lips. Isabel looked back at her and rolled her eyes. There was a small smile on her lips though.

Tess had a quick thought. She mouthed, ‘Let me.’ to Isabel.

Isabel shrugged.

Tess closed her eyes for a moment, connecting with Maria and Michael’s minds. And remembering a voice that would no doubt cut through the clutter.

Tess said, “What are you two doing?” In Amy Deluca’s voice. Oh, in reality Tess had said it quietly, but Tess actually liked Amy Deluca. Complete flake, but she was who she was and didn’t accept any crap from anyone.

Watching Amy and the Sheriff semi-flirt was actually amusing. If only one of them would make the first move!

Hmm….. Maybe…. A thought for later.

Oh the look of complete horror that swept over Michael and Maria! Both of them separated quickly, Maria buttoning up portions of her blouse.

Their looks on seeing Isabel and Tess staring at them were not amused.

“You two are so going to pay,” said Maria.

Michael just settled for a glare.

Isabel was all smiles, “Okay, well that is take care of. Now you two go find some other place to maul each other and myself and Tess here can have a chat.”

Michael’s glare remained strong but his mouth moved into a smirk, “You and Tess? In the Eraser Room? Mind if I watch?”

Maria hit Michael on the arm and began to pull him away, “There is always the janitor’s closet on First floor…..” Her gaze flicked to Tess and it was cold and full of hate. It moved onto Isabel, “I expect details, Iz.”

Isabel nodded gently and began to move Tess into the Eraser Room.

Michael’s voice was salacious as he said, “Yes, details would be nice.”

Maria hit him again and they left.

Isabel closed and locked the door. Her gaze was thoughtful. “You do realize that Michael will probably retaliate for today?”

Tess shrugged, “It was funny. And if he goes too far, we’ll see how he likes clucking like a chicken.”

Isabel nervously giggled.

Tess looked up at her. Isabel never seemed nervous. At least not about normal things. Some of the alien stuff had been a bit much for Tess and she had been prepared for it. “So why did you bring me in here? You know it is going to cause even more tongues to wag.”

Isabel shrugged. She looked at Tess, “So what did you do to Alex?”

“What? I didn’t do anything to Alex.” A moment of panic came. Could Alex have told Isabel about Aric? “Why did he tell you something?”

“No that’s just it. He said he had a wonderful time. Dancing…. Why did you have to choose dancing?”

“He’s a good dancer.”

“Yes, he is. But he is MINE! Don’t you get that?”

Tess looked up at Isabel, “Isabel, what the hell are you talking about. He’s nobody’s. He loves you, yes, that is very true. But, Isabel, think of what you have done to that poor boy. You give him just enough to keep his hopes up and no more. He sees what you are doing. You risk making him hate you for it. Worse yet, you risk someone else understanding what a good catch he really is and snatching him from you.”

“Like you,” Isabel growled.

Tess just smiled up at the larger girl, “No. He’s a great guy, but not for me. We did kiss, but….” Tess felt a sudden surge of fear.

The look on Isabel’s face as she mentioned that she had kissed Alex……

And Tess began to feel a slight breeze.

Vilandra’s greatest strengths on Antar had been in molecular manipulation and telekinesis. Dreamwalking without a lot of specialized equipment was unheard of.

That was why Tess had been so surprised when Isabel had mentioned the ability.

Still those night raids were not her true center of strength. And when one lost control the mind naturally began to express the strongest abilities first. Isabel was moving the air.

That was harder to do that it might seem. Large amounts of air was heavy, not to mention hard to grip.

Tess activated her own powers and plugged them into Isabel’s skull.

She wasn’t about to be flattened by an enraged Isabel. She’d mind warp the girl first.

But she wasn’t about to preemptive strike. Not when she was on such thin ice in the group. If push came to shove, all of the others would back Isabel.

Except for Kyle.

Even Aric would back the others over her.

Never had she felt so all alone.

And Tess began to cry.