After the End (CC,ALL,MATURE) Part 13 - 12/07/11 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

After the End (CC,ALL,MATURE) Part 13 - 12/07/11 [WIP]

Post by PML »

Title- After the End

Author- PML

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine. It is owned by Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, and Fox. This is for entertainment only and no infringement is intended.

Category- CC- ALL

Rating- Mature (For the later parts, most of it will likely stay in the teen area)

Summary- This is a challenge story. CC challenge number 121 by the estimable Killjoy. It can be found here. Although I might have to move that link once it moves to the taken thread. Now I don’t want to ruin any surprises for the reader who doesn’t want to know, but feel free to read it if you do.

Just know that it takes place after season three. Our heroes have been on the run for more than three years and finally have found a place to settle down, if only for a little while.

But as always, things are about to change. This prologue should give you some clue as to how.

A/N- Well I should warn you the reader that this is more a teaser start than anything else. I have four stories still out there. But one has only two parts left, and another just three. But November is on the way, and that means NANOWRIMO, which I will likely participate in again. So really this story should be in full swing come December, with maybe a few parts to it before hand, depending on my level of inspiration.

After the End Prologue-

Alex smiled as he looked at his Ipod. His lovely wife, Isabel filled a third of its memory in photos. And the newest always drew his eye.

For Isabel had a tiny bump on her belly. A baby. She was going to have his baby. He was going to be a father.

It always blew him away. Isabel Amanda Evans Whitman. His wife of three years. Where had all the time gone?

“Hey, Whitman. Don’t you think you should be paying more attention to the reason we are out here?” Tess Harding asked. She walked up behind him in the shaking personnel carrier. “Although I have to admit, I am jealous of you both. Hell even Guerin has popped the question. But no, here I am wasting away.”

“Tess, you are twenty-two. I don’t think you are ripe for old spinster hood. Plus, give Kyle time. He Bonded to you, so you know its only a matter of time.” He turned off the Ipod to save power.

They hit a bump and Alex helped Tess sit down safely.

Tess sighed, “Oh, I know. He already has the ring. He is just waiting for the call. Once he is in the Majors, he’ll wine and dine me and ask me. But I am ready now, Alex. I don’t mind traveling with him across the country, or even waiting home while he busses across the US. After growing up with Kal, I don’t care about the physical things. I just want a family.”

“Yeah, but Kyle sees all the nice things you are used to, and wants to be able to give them to you himself. I can kind of understand where he is coming from. Compared to what she pulls in I make nothing. Just an extra spear carrier for the Royal Antaran Exiled Government.”

“Isabel is lucky. You accept her for who she is. Why can’t Kyle?”

Alex laughed until he wheezed, “Oh, Tess you have it all wrong. My hard part was getting through her shell. To get her to see that she could love me, and my getting her to see that not only could I love her, but I did.” He held Tess’s hand, “And thank you for helping me with that. For getting her to realize she was human too.”

“Thank you, and thank you all for accepting me when I came. I know it was a little awkward, with Aric and all. But besides that racist bastard and the tricks he tried to play on us all, you all accepted me.”

“Hey, half your problem is your too nice Tess. Even Liz has to browbeat poor Max into doing stuff now and again, just like we have to persuade you sweet ladies. But you, you just are too nice. Kyle thinks you will wait forever for him. ”

Tess’s voice was a thin wail, “That’s because I will. And I don’t want to. It’s not that the occasional sex isn’t great, I just want to be part of a family. A real family.”

One of the soldiers assigned as drivers rapped on the door, “Hey, we are here.”

Ever since last year, when Maria and Michael had nearly been killed by Skin assassins the government had made a point to make sure they were all well protected. Tess for herself, Alex because he was technically Prince consort.

Tess and Alex walked alone up the rock face, still amazed at the defensive positions that now dotted the landscape.

The Granolith could and did protect itself, but the Feds did not want to chance its loss to some alien group. The US was a full signatory to the Roswell Accords, and like the seven other signatory governments had received privileged technology transfers.

They were going to protect their golden goose.

Alex asked Tess, “So why are we here anyway?”

Tess sighed, “Liz and Serena said they saw some sort of shadow on their long range sensors. The Granolith should be able to refine those numbers. I wish the stuff Serena has cobbled together was more robust, but the strides she has taken mixing Antaran and human technology in such a short time….”

Alex frowned, “You don’t think Khivar has sent anything this far out do you? Latest estimates after the last clash of Imperial forces with Alliance forces show him having a lot fewer ships than we thought. But it he sent something out here…. I know the USAF has some short range stuff, and the Japanese and Indians have cobbled together some impressive stuff. But seriously we are NOT ready for prime time, Tess. SO tell me we don’t have some Imperial warships headed out way.”

“Don’t be silly. It’s what three months by fast cutter, a battleship would take twice as long. And that’s one way, Alex. He would have to be willing to give up a serious chunk of firepower for a LONG time to do that. Its too risky.” Tess placed her hand on the rock surface. A silver hand print formed and the rock door moved aside as always.

The two guards stopped behind them and guarded the door even as the rock closed behind them.

Then the Earth shook. And again.

And Alex gasped in extreme pain as he felt Isabel die. He fell to his knees and sobbed.

Tess was at his side immediately, “Alex what is wrong?”

Alex looked at her. A picture of abysmal sorrow, “Isabel is just gone, Tess. She’s dead.”

Tess shook her head, “Alex, that’s not possible. Roswell is probably better protected than Washington, DC at the moment.”

“Trust me, Tess. She is dead.” He shook himself off and tried to get to his feet.

The Earth shook again. Harder this time. Dust fell from the ceiling.

“Alex, what is going on?”

Alex was playing around with a laptop like device that he was pulling a cord out of the pod chamber wall to connect to. “God, I hope I am wrong.” He started booting it up, “Tess go to the door and let our guards in. Being outside is a deathtrap right about now.”

Tess stumbled to the door as the ground continued to shake. She placed her hand on the rock.

It was hot to the touch and no matter how she focused it would not open. “Alex, the door is broken.” She ran back to him.

She was intensely worried by the stream of constant profanity that was coming out of his mouth. “Alex? What is going on?”

“The end of the fucking world, Tess. Khivar did it. He took the damn risk. He sent a fleet here and he is battering us to the stone age or beyond. One by one he is….”

Tess didn’t hear him as she felt a searing pain roar through her. “Kyle!”

Alex looked at her in sorrow. “I am so sorry Tess.”

“Why? He wasn’t even involved in our work. He was just a stupid baseball player!” Tess sat down and sobbed.

Alex’s face was grim. “Tess, Khivar isn’t taking any chances. I give even odds the human race is extinct tomorrow. I don’t know if he’s going to bother to conquer us or if he’s just going to try to kill us all. Holding on to us would be so hard…..”

“He’s just going to kill all your people, all my people?”

“Yes. Yes, Tess, that is what he is doing right now.” Alex turned in on himself, pondering the imponderable. Mankind dead in one day.

“We have to keep him from getting the Granolith.” She shook Alex’s arm. “We can’t let him have that too.”

Alex nodded and walked firmly across the room. “One thing I can say about some of the advisors the Pentagon sent us, is that they always say you need to plan for even the most ridiculous outcomes. And we did.” He opened a chamber and pulled out a crystal.

Tess recognized the form. Aric had possessed one that had been preprogrammed to build a ship and send them to Antar. “What does it do?”

Alex looked up at her. “It destroys the Granolith. And s decent amount of the surrounding countryside, so it was never made for actual use. Serena made one, just to be sure.” Alex walked over to Tess and handed the crystal to her.

“That was kind of dangerous don’t you think? What if an enemy had used it?” She looked at the crystal with a mix of fear and loathing.

“Tess it is keyed to you hybrids. No one else can use it.” He looked up at her trustingly.

The roof shook again, dust and rocks falling down.

“I don’t have a Seal anymore Alex. I passed my coronet to Liz.”

“But you are still one of them, Tess. We can’t let my species die in vain.”

Tess looked at him, “You do realize, the door is jammed. We won’t be able to get out of the blast radius. We will die.”

“Does it truly matter? Without Isabel, without any hope…. Does it matter?”

Tess thought for a moment. All the world outside was being destroyed. “No. No it doesn’t.” So she walked into the Granolith Chamber. She slid the crystal into the control panel, watching as it slid in. She looked up and saw the alien figures mark on the wall. “How long is the timer.”

“Sixty seconds.” He walked over and grasped her hand. “It has truly been a pleasure to know you Tess Harding.”

Tess cried out, tears still falling down her cheeks, “This isn’t supposed to be happening, Alex. It isn’t supposed to end this way!”

“Maybe not, but it is.” He gave her hand a kiss. And watched as the alien figures he had only begun to learn to read flew by.

“Oh, Alex, thank you. Thank you and all your people. I am so sorry. I am so very sorry!”

Alex smiled through his tears, “It’s not your fault.” And he held her close as the numbers wound down and…..

The world grew unbearably bright and there was a massive sound like the ripping of a million sails all at once.

And then there was darkness….

And peace.
Last edited by PML on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 15 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Prologue 10/03/10

Post by PML »

Wow. I am amazed at all the feedback guys. Thank you. I hope to keep this interesting. Although as I noted in my first part, I will be participating in NANOWRIMO, so November will be light on the parts for me. I might be doing a Roswell story again, but if I do, it will be fairly AU. Shrug, we'll see.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Its also possible that Serena did not fully understand what the crystal could do.

cameramandc- Thanks.

mary mary- Thanks. Something did indeed happen. Something horrific. But something that leaves them with some interesting possiblilties.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. I will neither confirm nor deny your guess. But SOMETHING happened.

jojotheorange- Thanks.

Roswellian117- Thanks

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

Ti88- Thanks.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

After the End part 1

Isabel-

Isabel looked over at the man who lay bundled up with a blanket with her.

Kyle Valenti. What on Earth or any other world had happened to put the two of them together?

Not that they were an item. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

But the six of them had been on the road for over three years now. There had been a few times when it seemed that they would be caught, or that one or another of them would simply disappear.

Somehow they had all clung together. And while their life had been far from romantic, they really had simply been out pacing the law along with helping people.

Sometimes when you helped people, they helped back. Like this house. The rent was cheap, even if only on the off season. But it was snug and comfortable and housed all of them. And it was fully furnished.

Isabel even had her own room. Now if she could get her own bathroom, she truly would be in heaven.

She shook her head. Still even now that she had access to complete privacy, she found herself hanging out with Kyle.

Part of it was their agreement. She had to watch his sports and he had to watch her movies.

And it worked.

It had kept them sane.

Because Liz and Max had each other. A relationship sweet enough to send you into diabetic shock sometimes. Sure they had their share of domestic disputes, but the way they would just look at each other…..

Michael and Maria were as bad in their own way. When they weren’t together, Isabel tended to spend a lot of time with Maria, and Kyle with Michael. But it was amazing how much time those two spent together. Personally, Isabel was amazed either of them could actually walk half the time.

That… frequency… could make things awkward.

No. Isabel missed sex. She missed it a lot.

But Kyle Valenti? Not quite ready to go there.

Still it was better to spend time with him than to be alone. Isabel was so tired of being alone. That one precious and awkward night she’d had with Alex before he died…..

She simply could not stand being alone anymore.

Kyle shook his head, “What do they see in that man? If I were half as lucky as….”

There was the sound of screaming.

Liz’s screaming.

Trouble.

She rushed to the door, and Kyle grabbed his pistol.

They might need it in the next few minutes. Or hours. Or days.

Liz’s predictions were always solid. But simply seeing an image of the future didn’t always make their lives easier.

With one last glance at the popcorn and the movie still playing on the TV, Isabel left to find out what her sister in law had seen.

And if it was time to move yet again.

-------
Max-

Max stared at his beautiful wife and watched as she slept.

It still amazed him. Liz Parker Evans was his wife.

His wife…..

Never had he thought he would ever be so lucky. Even now, on the run, he still was filled with wonder that she had chosen him. Even with all the pain from the high school era behind them….

He watched as she twitched. He didn’t disturb her. She was Seeing something.

He quietly got up and got dressed. He set out something for her to quickly put on as well.

Sometimes they didn’t get much of a warning.

Liz shot up screaming.

Max handed her the clothing he had gotten her.

She was shaking as she put it on. As soon as it was on she clung to him. “It was so horrible Max. So horrible.”

“What was it, dear?”

Liz clung to him and said, “I just want to say it once. The others will be here in a few minutes.”

“Do we need to flee?”

Liz’s voice was small, “I don’t know where we could go. No where is safe. Not anymore.”

-------
?????

The technician heightened the low light function on the hidden camera. He watched from the other views as the others trooped to their leaders’ room.

Liz Evan’s precognitive function was perhaps one of the most fascinating of their talents. Hopefully it didn’t have them skittering off again. It had made catching them very difficult.

In fact it was only that they held onto them so tenuously that they could even manage what little input they had.

But they had done so much better than those old Cold War boys.

They simply didn’t have any finesse.

He lifted up his phone, “Hey, Tom. Get the SAC on the line, she might want to see this…..”

-------
Alex-

Alex did something he never expected to do.

He opened his eyes.

Tess still clung to him, even in her unconsciousness.

Alive. They were both alive.

The Granolith didn’t turn or shine anymore. It was still.

So maybe they had accomplished what they had tried to do. But why was he still alive?

He looked up and saw the crack in the ceiling of the Granolith Chamber. And above it a bright blue sky.

How many of his people were left? Was his race extinct save for himself and Tess?

Alex saw something that brought a tear to his eyes. Just one tear in the countless thousands that had come before, but this one was a tear of joy.

Contrail lines. Somewhere high above a jet was flying.

They weren’t alone.

He rocked Tess for a long time, and wondered what had happened. How they had beaten off Khivar. And how bad the casualties had been.

But for now, it was enough to simply know one thing.

They were not alone.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 1 10/13/10

Post by PML »

Well I have another part for this. Just to get it established before November hits. Hope you enjoy.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. Yeah, what Liz sees is not pleasant. They both know quite a bit about the Granolith, or think they do. As far as they were aware, that crystal was supposed to destroy the Granolith. Obviously something unexpected happened.

Ellie- Thanks. Both of your questions should be a little better answered by this part.

Ti88- Thanks. SAC stands for Special Agent in Charge. And those watchers have plans for our friends.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended

After the End part 2

Liz-

They had all moved to the living room for a quick conference. How many times of the last few years had the huddled together like this in expectation of the needs of a sudden move.

Only if her vision was right this time, where could they possibly hide?

Max patted her shoulder and handed her a cup of hot chocolate. Her taste buds had never changed. She did like spicier foods now, but that was more catering to Max’s needs than her own.

No Tabasco in her hot chocolate.

Liz sighed. She was stalling. And already she could see the worry growing in Maria’s eyes. The first couple of years had been hard on her and Michael. But lately they just seemed to click. Their arguments had lost the bitter tang they had carried and now were playful.

They had found their balance along the road. And Liz was happy for them. She just hoped they still had more time.

Liz raised up her hand. “Sorry guys. It’s just hard.”

“Do we need to pile back into our cars? Back to the road?” Michael asked softly. Funny for a man who had once advocated fleeing as the first option, he had more than even Max seemed willing to set down roots here.

It was nice to see. Michael had gained so much maturity in the last few years, even before they had had to flee Roswell.

“No. We don’t at least I don’t see how that will help.” She sighed and smiled at Max for encouragement.

He smiled softly back.

She turned to face her grim face friends. “I saw the end of the world.”

“What?”

“Excuse me? I thought we escaped that!”

“Huh?”

Liz raised her hands, “Please let me tell you what I saw.” This was so hard. Harder than she had thought. But the coldness of her death , the feeling as her un-tethered mind flickered and died. As she felt her soul join the mass migration of an entire planets life.

Liz started again. “We, we were having a picnic. We were so happy. All of us, except you Kyle, were there. And you Michael, it was the funniest…. No. I can’t say it. Max, Isabel, all of you. Grab my hands. You all have to see this. But its too, too hard for me to tell.”

Max was holding her hand, “Are you sure, Liz?”

Liz nodded, tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

Kyle said quietly, “Is that even possible.” He looked over at Isabel.

Isabel nodded slowly. “I did it once in Roswell for Max. Brought that kid’s parents into his dream for Christmas. I think, no I know I am familiar enough will all of you now.” She looked among them, “It will be like a day dream. One that all of us are part of.” She focused on Liz, “You will need to concentrate on that memory. Or who knows what we will all see.” Her voice turned wry, “And there are some things I really don’t want to experience.”

Liz nodded, “Right.”

One by one they all joined in and became one in Liz’s dream.

Flash
Liz was so happy. Maria had been so very nervous when she had confided the news to Liz. She was pregnant.

She was happy for her friend. Michael had blossomed over the last couple of years into someone so very different from the paranoid loner he used to be. And if she was right, Maria was about to get a surprise herself.

Michael walked over and started to give Maria a box.

Isabel hissed in a stage whisper, “Like we talked about!”

Michael shot Isabel a glare, and then landed on his knees right before a beaming Maria. “Maria will you….”

Max looked away towards a brilliantly glowing object glowing in the sky, one of several. “What the….”

There was a very bright flash and a noise so incredibly loud it could not be heard.

And then nothing.

Liz suddenly felt very strange. Cut off. Her thoughts were weird almost alien.

She was standing amidst a dust cloud of hot ash raising into the sky. She could see nothing, hear nothing. But she felt so very cold. So very cold and lost.

Off in the distance she could feel her friends leaving her. Dead. Their souls leaving this existence.

They were not alone. Massive numbers of sundered souls were sent screaming into the afterlife, torn from the calm everyday lives by some awesome force.

Again and again it struck. Until the poor battered Earth could take no more.

Liz felt as the very fabric of space ripped. As the Earth was torn asunder and all the life it had borne. So much more than man had been aware of. So much richness and value.

All gone.

Liz stood there. Trapped amongst the ashes of the dying world. She began to see more clearly as the rock and dust were flung away.

How long she stood there, she didn’t know. Trapped in some timeless bubble she remained in the now desolate vacuum that had once been Lowell Park.

Long enough to witness the Moon be bombarded and ruined by debris of her once vibrant world.

Cold.

So very cold and alone.

And she died. The last survivor of planet Earth.

She felt as the last flickers of her soul gave out and she began to dissipate into nothingness.

Just before she was totally gone, she felt Max and her friends come to her. To take her home. And warmth….
End Flash

Liz opened her eyes. All her friends were staggered by what she had seen.

Maria was crying into her hands. Deep heavy sobs.

Michael was patting her on the back, a stricken look on his face. He handed Liz a pregnancy test strip. The little plus sign said it all.

Liz just looked at Maria and Michael in shock.

Isabel’s face was pale. She asked Michael, “Did you?”

Michael absently patted his chest pocket.

Only Kyle shook his head. “Look guys. It wasn’t anywhere close to here. It was Lowell park. It just gives us one more reason not to go home,” he finished glumly.

Max said silently. “Maria? Can I, can I check?”

Maria just nodded still sobbing.

Max reached over and touched her shirt above her abdomen. His hands glowed. And he nodded. “She’s pregnant. Its perfectly healthy and seems to be growing normally.” He place a hand on her shoulder. “I want to check from time to time. Okay?”

“What is the point, we are all going to die.” Maria said harshly.

Isabel walked over and gave Maria a hug., “We don’t know that. It was Lowell Park. I mean, me and Max used to play there when we were little. There were a few changes, but it was Roswell. I even thought you saw the old water tower Liz. So we just avoid Roswell and we will be fine.”

Liz said quietly, “I hope so.”

And the discussions carried on for hours.

-------
?????- SAC Kat Archos.

Archos kept her face calm as she listened to the video being streamed to her office. Liz’s abilities were impressive. Impressive that some in the office thought they should actively capture them.

But they had only gotten this close to them by being careful to not be a threat to their well being. And Archos was not about to alter her plans now. Not until they had a firmer grasp on the hybrids.

She spoke into the linked microphone, “Thomas, do we have any proof that Deluca is pregnant?”

His response was quick, “We were at more than fifty percent sure, but you wanted us to be sure.”

“And Parker?”

“Hard to say. Her cycle is a little less regular than Deluca’s. But the drugs should take hold on her soon.”

Archos smiled. Her plan was to let them hole up here and then approach them when Liz and Maria were heavy with child. Neither Max or Michael would leave their mate, and they would be…. Very approachable and amenable to any deal that kept their loves safe. Now if only she could find some one to fill Isabel’s belly.

But she could do nothing to threaten them or Liz’s strange gift would warn them. She would only have to hope Kyle would finally make his move or Isabel could become a very dangerous loose end.

“Thomas keep monitoring their conversation and take it up with the good doctors if what Liz saw is possible or likely. Or if it was just a random bad dream.”

“We’ll keep you posted, Chief.”

She sat back and relaxed for just a few moments. And then it was back to the mountains of paperwork that seemed to make Washington run.

She had already proved her worth by reeling them in. Now she would show what fools those Army and Air Force goons were.

And then maybe she could have her old life back along with her name.

-------
Tess

Tess woke to being cold and thirsty. She looked around in fear. Had he been taken from her? She had always feared being alone.

She had nearly died when she had hatched. Kal had told Aric to find out what had happened to her as the other hybrids had been accounted for. But Aric had gotten involved in another petty squabble with a local FBI agent and she had been forgotten.

She had been dehydrated and near death when Kal had shown up and saved her.

Tess simply could not stand to be alone. She reached out with her powers and felt him not more than fifteen feet away.

It was fuzzy because of all the heavy rock but she could still sense him.

She felt her hysteria begin to subside and she looked instead at the Granolith. It looked nearly dead, but Tess could see the slightest flicker near the bottom.

How much power had been expended doing whatever Serena’s little crystal had done. It obviously had not destroyed the Granolith itself. And as far as she could tell, the bombardment could easily have done all the damage.

She used her powers and reached out further, to the local biome. And found it the usual desert barren. Not rich in life, but more going on than you might think at first glance.

Had the Granolith somehow healed the local area? Had it raised some sort of defensive shield that kept the world from being blasted into the stone age?

It was supposed to contain more power than most stars. Capable of building a space craft and transporting its contents well over a thousand light years in little more than twenty five hours.

That was serious power.

A confused Alex walked around the corner.

“Alex what is going on? Was Khivar repulsed?”

Alex looked at her and shook his head, “I don’t know. But there is no sign of development out here Tess. None. And yet I saw cars driving along the old highway. Just driving along like they had no care in the world.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. They shut that road down to civilian traffic when the built the new Roswell highway west of town.”

Alex’s face was scrunched up, “Well if I had to guess it’s a question of either where or when. Possibly both.” He handed her a water bottle.

“Alex you aren’t making any sense.”

“Come on we need to get to the road and hitch a ride to Roswell.”

“But Roswell was destroyed!”

Alex shook his head, “Not here it wasn’t. Grab your stuff. I will explain on the way.”

And so they began the trek to Roswell.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 2 10/17/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading along.

TI88- Thanks. There were a lot of similarities to that particular point in time. Michael was going to propose to Maria that night in this time line too. May or may not happen now. As for November, I am going to try my hardest to post to this at least once. But more than that.... Wish me luck, (Luck to you as well.)

Ellie- Thanks. Yep. That about sums it up in a nut shell.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Poor Maria and Michael. They were so happy....

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. Hopefully I answered a point or two of yours in this post.

Leila- Thanks. Isabel and Kyle will really need each other in the coming days, yes. As will Tess and Alex.

DIsclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

After the End part 3

Kyle

Kyle listened to the arguments for a while before he simply had to leave. He had not been one of the people at that picnic that Liz had dreamed of.

Why?

And why did he have these odd feelings. Why could he feel a sense of… happiness fill him?

How could he look at them, his best friends and revel in this odd feeling of cheerfulness while they talked about their doom?

He sat down on his bed in his room.

How sick was he anyway?

Why hadn’t he been part of that picnic? Had he betrayed them somehow?

It wasn’t like he could have possibly survived the experience. The planet itself had been torn asunder. Surely he would have died as well.

Kyle felt as his face curled in a smile. He closed his eyes and listened to what seemed like a faint buzz of static. But somehow it made him feel better.

Somehow that little buzz made him feel cherished. Loved.

And it confused the hell out of him.

Why now?

Kyle heard a rap at his door. “Come in.” He opened his eyes and watched as Isabel walked in.

She was so beautiful. So very beautiful.

He had wanted her for years, had hungered for her on many a night. And yet she had become a trusted friend. One that he valued to the point that he was afraid to make any move. He could not risk the friendship that had built up over the years.

Isabel looked at him intently, “So what is up, Kyle? You seemed distracted back there?”

“Yeah. So does Michael really have a ring for Maria?”

“Keep it quiet or I will fill your dreams with nightmares, but yeah.” Isabel sighed, “Maria probably knows too. I doubt Michael could keep a secret from Maria for long. Still that bonehead is going to do it right. Maria deserves it.”

“You coached him,” Kyle didn’t even hide the smile.

“Damn straight! Left alone…. I hate to imagine just what he would do. But you know Michael. He’s gotten better, but he still has the occasion foot-in-mouth disease moments.” She sat on a chair that had seen better days, turning it to face him.

“Hey, according to you all guys have that.”

“Yes, but Michael’s made it an art form.” Isabel shook her head, “Enough stalling. Now spill, Kyle. What is the problem.”

“You did notice I wasn’t with you guys.”

Isabel shook her head, “Kyle…. I know you too well. That isn’t it.”

He stared at Isabel. There really wouldn’t be any point in hiding it. She could keep it secret from their friends. He could trust her.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “I have felt strange ever since Liz screamed earlier.”

Isabel closed the distance and used her weak powers of healing to see if Kyle was okay.

Kyle glared at her, “I’m not dying. I just feel strange. Like there’s a sort of static just outside my hearing.”

Isabel looked down at him. “Do you have any strange feelings? Anything like what Liz said she felt like when her powers came in? Because….”

Kyle shook his head, “Nothing like that. Its more like a radio station just turned on. Like some sort of connection just went live or something. And Isabel, “ His look faintly pleading, “Don’t tell the others. They have enough to worry about.”

Isabel looked a little stunned, “Yeah, the a baby on the way and the end of the world. That’ll fill their quota of worrying. But Kyle don’t underestimate how much they care for you. We all do.” Isabel shook a little, “Maybe more than we thought.” She sat heavily next to him.

He placed an arm around her. “Hey what is wrong?”

“I feel something too. A connection. It feels spooky, but good. Very good.” Isabel licked her lips.

“A connection? But with whom?” Kyle’s heart started to speed up a little. She couldn’t mean….

Isabel looked scared. “Well there are two possibilities. And if you are willing I would like to test for one of them.”

This was a dream come true. Why did he feel a sense of foreboding? Of wrongness?

Isabel kissed him softly and he drew her in for a fuller kiss.

It felt so good. A better kiss than he had had in a while. He had talked with Liz and Maria and while it had been a little awkward had worked out that kissing their hybrids had always been different from kissing other boys.

So had kissing Tess. There had just been something more…..

And so it was with Isabel. He could feel that electric tang, that explosiveness working its way through his body. He was very reluctant, but he pushed her away.

Because as the kiss deepened he had gotten a deeper and deeper feeling of wrongness. An odd feeling he was betraying someone or something. Very strange, but very powerful.

Isabel was crying as she backed away. Crying and worried. She stood up and moved to the door.

“Isabel, I am your friend. I don’t want this to change that.” He let his heart speak for him, “I do love you, you know. Just not in the way I thought. Life is funny like that. First Tess and then you.” Only he knew that his losing his lust for Tess had been her doing. Her mind warps.

There were still nights he dreamed of her. Of the plans they had made after Vegas, of the soft firmness of her body. Those memories were buried under the bitterness of her betrayal, but they lingered.

Oh how they lingered.

Isabel stopped at the door, her face harried. “Thank you Kyle. I think I will need every friend I can muster in the days to come.”

“Why?”

Isabel’s face had a touch of horror to it. “Kyle there are only two men who I might care like that, care enough for a connection to form. You and…. Khivar.”

“Khivar. I thought you booted him off when you with Jesse?”

“I did. But…. I am not with Jesse anymore and….” She shook her head violently. “Kyle there is a tiny part of me that remembers the old me. Remembers the part of me that was Vilandra. And that bit loves Khivar. She was mad at him last time, but if he comes again…. I don’t know if I could fight him off. Or if I should.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The end of the world, Kyle. Maybe it was Khivar. Maybe, maybe he would leave us alone if I go to him. I, I just don’t know. I need to think on this. Please, please don’t tell anyone.” She looked away and bit her lip.

Kyle focused his eyes, “As long as you confide in me. I promise to confide in you. The other four have each other. We might not be a couple, now or ever. But… We are friends. And we can trust the other. Deal.”

Isabel just burst into tears and flew into his arms.

And Kyle comforted her.

-------
??????

“Well, damn. So close,” said Agent Thomas. He looked at the other two couples in their own respective rooms. Each was comforting their significant other.

Too bad couple three was turning out to be platonic.

Damn.

He turned to one of the newer agents making notes from some of the other equipment. “Hey, Bronsky, go down and see if the files have anything on a Khivar. Send me up any of the data and cc it to SAC Archos.”

“Sure thing.”

Agent Thomas looked at the screen with Isabel and Kyle There had to be some way of filling that belly. If Kyle wouldn’t or couldn’t do it…. There had to be a way.
-------
Amy Deluca.

Amy felt everyone of her forty-five years as she drove along the old highway.

A few years back it would have been Maria making this delivery for her.

Her daughter. So much pain there. Was she safe? Was she warm?

Was she loved?

Jeff Parker had shared Liz’s Journal so she knew now what her daughter had been doing, a little of it, those last few years of high school.

And Amy had been worried about drugs!

Amy had known that her daughter had been sexually active after Alex’s death. But she simply hadn’t the heart to stop her daughter from getting some kind of comfort.

Alex’s death had all but crushed Maria. You could see it in that last year of school. She had been so unfocused.

Her one chance at random success was bobbled.

Not that Amy had been nearly as much help as she had wanted to. But Maria had been so unapproachable that year. Had all but shut her out.

She was driving along when she saw the two people hitch hiking out in the middle of no where. Part of her went out to them, it was a long way to civilization.

But it simply wasn’t safe to pick people up these days. Maybe she would call Jim.

It had taken her a few years to finally forgive him, but that one drunken night where they had shared everything both of them had learned…. Apparently they had kept him in the dark about a lot too. Particularly that last year.

Amy and Jim had been close ever since. And a Deputy still had horrible hours. But not as bad as the Sheriff had. She wasn’t sure they relationship would ever move further than it was now.

But it was pretty comfortable now. She no longer felt the drive to marry now that Maria was gone. And outside of some talk of moving in with each other to save money, they hadn’t really broached the subject.

The girl was a blonde who looked vaguely familiar. The boy was a tall and strapping young man in what looked almost like an army uniform. Almost.

Cute couple.

She stopped the car.

Impossible. He was dead.

But Amy was good with faces. She always had been. And she would know that face anywhere.

She backed the Jetta up. And looked, seriously looked at the two young people as they walked up to the car.

The girl was the spitting image of Tess Harding. She had been a thorn in her daughters side until she had disappeared the summer after Alex had died. And Alex Whitman. He looked older and fitter.

And according to Liz’s journal Tess was just as dead as Alex.

Where they haunting this highway? Her next visit to Vivian wasn’t for another two weeks! How could she survive until then taunted with this whole image.

Alex’s face split in a grin, “Hey, Mrs. Deluca. Do you mind giving us a lift into Roswell?”

“Dead. Both of you. Dead.”

Tess said, “I’m sorry?”

“Oh, you don’t even know. They say it happens. I am so sorry. I hope you both can move on soon. Alex just remember to forgive Tess. That must be why you are both together. Need to let go of the hate and just move on.”

Both of them looked at each other.

Tess cleared her voice, “How is Maria? I haven’t seen her today.”

Amy’s eyes filled with tears. “You don’t know? YOU caused them to be found out. THEM. It’s all YOUR FAULT. Maybe its not good for my soul, but I don’t know if I forgive you, even if Alex somehow can.” She fired up the Jetta and drove off.

One hand wiped a few tears as she drove away. She pulled out her phone. Still to far for a good connection. She needed to talk with Jim.

She needed him to hold her and tell her it was going to be okay.

Even if it wasn’t.

And she doubted the world would ever be right again until she held her Maria in her arms again.

Which meant never.

Damn the poor connection.

She made the call.

------
Tess

Tess stared off at the retreating car. She looked over at Alex. “What was that all about?”

Alex looked a little grim and a trifle unsettled. “It does answer our question though. The tags on Amy’s car were March 2006. I don’t know the specific day, but time wise its too close for there not to be development out here.”

“What are you saying? Why could she possibly have said those things to me? I thought she was my friend!” Tess could feel her face heating, feel the tears welling in her eyes.

Alex nodded, “I told you there were three possibilities. That we traveled in time. That we traveled to a different world. Or both. Well we might have moved a little in time. But not by much. Not with Mar 2006 tags on the Jetta. Even if she was late getting them replaced, plus or minus a year isn’t much in terms of time travel.”

“So…. We are on another world?” She looked at him disbelievingly.

“Yes. An alternate timeline. One in which we both died. And you possibly at fault for it.” He place one hand on his sensitive friend.

“But I would never do anything to hurt you guys. Your are my family!”

He looked at her pitying. “In our world yes. But here….”

“I can’t honestly believe I could be brought to do something like that. She all but accused me of killing you. You’re my body guard when one of the others isn’t available. It just doesn’t make sense!” Her wide blue eyes implored Alex.

Alex nodded. “I believe you. Lets go, Tess. We need to get to Roswell and find out what has gone wrong.”

Tess’s voice was adamant, “And fix it!”

Alex nodded, “If we can.”

They continued their walk to Roswell.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 3 - 10/22/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. Trying to get this story as established as I can before November strikes. Post during November will likely be rare, but I will try to do at least one or two.

Yasmania- Thanks.

Ellie- Thanks. Poor Amy. Yeah I think that as soon as she gets home she'll probably knock a few back. And see if Madame Vivian doesn't have an earlier slot.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. We'll get an Isabel POV in the next chapter. She's not taking the possibility too well. The agents have a series of plans. Wheels within wheels. Because Liz's gift always seemed to keep them one step ahead. They are trying to think outside the box. More than this I cant say. You were right about Amy. That part was fun.

After the End part 4

Michael

Michael followed a solemn Maria into their bedroom. She was still crying from time to time, but the sobbing had stopped. “Sorry Maria. Sorry being with me sucks.”

Maria waved her arms. “Don’t say that. I chose this. I knew the risks. I mean even protected, given the amount of times. I mean, you’d need Liz to do the math, but….”

“Yeah. Still. This thing is big.” He walked behind her and held her tightly. “And I do want this. I won’t lie to you. It’s too early and dangerous, but the thought of another person like you, another part of you alive and walking on the Earth.” Michael shivered in anticipation. “It’s selfish. But, Maria. You are so special to me.”

“Don’t lose that ring, Spaceboy.”

“What,” Michael spluttered.

Maria looked up at him, “Like you and Isabel can keep a secret from me? No, I know. And yeah, today’s a bad day.” Her face looked drawn and scared, “And no picnic proposals either. We wait until Liz sees more.”

Michael nodded. He hated waiting. Of not knowing and not being able to go out and find information for himself. Michael looked away and sighed. “I am so sorry I dragged you into all this. I love you so much and you have to suffer so much because of me.”

Maria turned to face him, her arms encircling him. “Michael.” She sighed softly and moved one hand to press against his cheek. “Michael I chose you. Just as you chose me.” She smiled slightly, “You stayed for me, and I left for you. We belong together. And that is all.” She gave him a quick kiss.

Michael opened his mouth and she put her hand over it.

“Let me finish, Michael.” She shook her head, “Oh, yeah, sure our life isn’t perfect. I didn’t expect it to be. But I love you and you love me. We will work this out somehow. Liz and Max will think of something. You know them.” She pulled her hand away and squeezed him tight, placing her head against his chest.

“I love you Maria. And I…”

Again the hand came up, “Not yet. Not until we know it is safe. You know how crazy the abyss can get. Maybe you just say those words and the world ends. My mom probably would think it would.”

Michael nodded. “So what then? What can I do to make it better.”

She placed her head against his chest again. And said plaintively, “Just hold me Michael. Just hold me.”

------
Liz-

Liz looked over at Max who sat blankly on the bed. “So what do you think it all is? Khivar? Maybe Nicholas somehow?” Liz shivered, “Some other enemy we don’t even know about?”

Max sat on the bed and calmly said, “I don’t know. I wish I could contact Kal somehow. He might know. I had access to him and I didn’t ask any of the right questions.”

“Maybe one of us could contact him somehow.” Liz sat down next to him.

Max shook his head, “I doubt he would help us. I ruined his life Liz. He had spent so long learning to get even the smallest of sensations and I robbed him of it. Of fifty years of practice. All in my selfish attempt to find my son.” He looked over at her. “I wasn’t even going to say good bye to any of you. Just hop in and go.”

Liz reached over and held Max. She murmured into his ear. “Both of us had our moments Max. Sometimes I think it’s a miracle we have gotten this far. But both of us have grown these last few years. We’ve had to. You aren’t that eighteen year old boy.”

Max sighed. “I doubt that would change Kal’s opinion of me. Supposedly that’s what Zan had been like all the time too.”

Liz sat back. “Well there has to be a way we can find out.”

“The communication orbs are still buried back in Roswell.” Max laughed, “I should have listened to Michael and just used a safety deposit box.”

“Yes, well none of us are headed to Roswell anytime soon. No point in even thinking about going there. Too dangerous.”

Max sighed and then smirked and looked at her intensely. “Well that leaves just one thing.”

“What?”

“Prompting another flash.”

“MAX! How can you even think of sex at a time like this!” She pulled back from him. Although in truth, the idea had its merits. She looked at his warm brown eyes. And shivered slightly.

Her husband. Hers and hers alone.

He smoothed the hair away from her face and chuckled. “How can I not when you are just sitting there looking so sexy.”

“I look a wreck.”

He moved closer and gave her a minty flavored kiss. “You always look sexy to me, Liz.” He nibbled a little on her neck.

She sighed and let him work.

He mumbled between his kisses, “Besides you know it has worked before. Even if it fails, what do we lose?’

She giggled slightly and gripped his head in her hands and moved it so she could kiss him. It was so true.

Even if she didn’t get the a flash, she’d still get the mind blowing sex.

And who knew? Maybe she would see something as well.

She really couldn’t lose.

-------
Alex-

Alex just stood there and stared down at the carved grave stone. “Beloved son and friend. May your song always be sung.” Dated April 29th, 2001.

Right after Junior/Senior Prom. Right after his and Isabel’s relationship took that extra last step. Three days before he was completely bonded to her.

Those heady days they hadn’t really understood the depths they were swimming in. Just how long lasting that bonding could be.

Alex for one had never regretted it one bit.

He didn’t even now. Not even now that she was dead. He just wished they had had more time.

Apparently here, in this world they had had even less.

He looked up at Valenti, “How?”

Valenti looked at him grimly, “For a time I thought it had been suicide. So many little things pointed at it. Most of your friends only thought it had been a tragic accident.”

Tess said softly, “What happened?”

Valenti’s eyes tightened whenever he looked at Tess. A combination of well hidden grief and hurt when he looked at her.

Valenti might have been able to hide it from most people, but Alex had worked with him more often than not. Trying to make sure his friends had the best security often meant working with the local police.

It had been a shock seeing Valenti as only a Senior Deputy. There was a story there he was sure.

But the man had been tight lipped when he had picked them up. And had suggested they come here first. That it would answer much.

Valenti sighed, “Alex drove his car headlong into a Semi. Trust me when I say I looked over everything I could at the time to make sure it was anything but self caused. The whole issue caused a rift in the group of friends. One that took a long time to heal.” He looked away, “It was Liz that guessed the truth. Or maybe her gifts came earlier to her than we thought. I don’t really know. But she knew something was off. That you would never do that.”

Alex’s voice was soft, “Not unless selling my life would save the others.”

Tess curled her arm around Alex’s. She stared at Valenti in disbelief. “You mean some of them believed it? He was in the early stages of bonding. It’s just not possible. And, and this Alex. Alex, you would never do that to us. Never.” She pulled him closer. “We need you too much. All of us girls. Isabel owns more of you sure, but still…. Liz, Maria, and I…. We need you. So don’t think this is something you have to copy, understand! Not even with Isabel dead.”

Valenti was looking at Tess strangely again, almost as if disbelieving what he was seeing.

What exactly had happened in this world?

Valenti’s next words were worried, “Isabel is dead?”

Alex shook his head, half watching Valenti, half staring at the grave marker. “Not your Isabel…. She is alive and well.” Alex could feel her clearly through his bond. As strong and sharp as it ever had been before.

This could be a problem.

But one for another day.

Tess looked up at Alex, as if trying to make sure he was okay. She nodded briefly. “So who was the bastard that tried to make Alex look like a suicide.”

Valenti just looked at Tess quietly for a moment. “You were.” And he walked away.

Tess’s mouth opened. And closed. She looked up at Alex and then at the grave.

And burst into tears.

Alex stood there and looked after Valenti. The man had told the truth. The truth at least as he knew it.

In this world he had been killed by Tess Harding.

By Tess of all people.

Truly this was another world.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) A/N - 11/01/10

Post by PML »

And finally, back. My Nano story took longer than expected to finish to complete completion. (Some 80-90k words or so.) I did hit the required 50k in time so I am happy about that. But now its time to go back to my older stories. There is one question I do have for my readers. Horizon was writen in single POV's instead of the grouping I am doing now. That let me post more often but smaller parts. What would you prefer? Keep doing what I am doing now or change it?

Ellie- Thanks. And yep to both. As you will see in this very part...

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Some things never change....

xmag- Thanks. I saw that, it was well done. I hope you continue to enjoy this story.

timelord31- Thanks.

cindy52- Thanks. I hope you continue to enjoy.

After the End part 5

Tess-

Tess was finishing up the set up of her new laptop. There were a few more applications she had to set up on Alex’s, but she had the time.

When she was done she would start searching for some of the contacts she had known through Kal in the alternate world. Both she and Alex needed new identities.

They hadn’t discussed what they were going to do now. Whether they were going to try to contact the local resistance forces or if they should simply try to find the others. They simply didn’t know enough of what was going on.

Alex was out looking now. Using his powers to search out what had really happened those fateful years when in this world Alex had died, and Tess had fled.

Tess blinked back sudden tears. They had eaten a quiet lunch after the cemetery and the whole vibe she had gotten from Valenti…. So very heart breaking. He had loved Tess and Tess had broken his heart.

And he did not trust this new Tess at all. He didn’t pointedly distrust her, but she could tell when someone was guarded against her. Amy had briefly dropped by. And her look had been mildly poisonous.

In truth, she was going to ask Alex if they could simply find a motel room after tonight. Between the two caches of money that they had found they had enough to get by for a little while. Once she had access to one of Kal’s hidden accounts, their money problems would be over.

And they would need that money to pay the contacts to make new realistic identities.

So much work and they didn’t even know why they were here. Or even if they were permanently here or if they would suddenly disappear like wisps of smoke or…..

Tess was scared. She wasn’t going to deny it. She had spent a decent amount of effort in her last life trying to be liked. From what Kal had told her, she had been a spiteful bitch on Antar. A full queen bee type with a massive sense of entitlement.

She had done her best to be different. To be a better person with this new life.

Apparently this world’s version didn’t get that memo.

She closed her eyes and tried to stop the tears. She hated being weak, hated useless tears.

But Tess had lived with Valenti for a long time. Parts of her were scattered around, parts of her and parts of Kyle. She had trained her senses to find and pick up the slightest tell tale wisps of memory. How could she not do it now?

Tess knew. Tess knew what had happened, and the emotional state the other Tess had been in. Bitter, so bitter. Driven to do things she hadn’t ever truly sat back and thought through.

And it had been too late when she had. Tess remembered crossing a threshold and watching from Kyle’s vantage point Tess holding a dying Alex…..

It had happened. IT was real. She had been evil. She, Tess Harding had been thoughtlessly careless with the lives of her friends. Had ruined their lives. Had given the Granolith to Khivar! For what?

To die by suicide destroying a local Air Force Base? Basically ensuring that the local authorities would hunt down and kill her friends?

Destroying the last fragile chance they had of a normal life. A life they had apparently chosen.

‘How do I fix this?’ Tess wondered. ‘How do I repair the damage my other self caused?’ She opened her eyes and wiped a couple of tears away.

She hugged herself close. She hated being lonely. And now she felt so very much alone.

She had Alex, sure. But she just needed someone somewhere from this world that would not call her evil. Someone who might love her, or care for her.

Or simply not HATE her.

She stared at the phone. There was one chance. Although she didn’t know how much the other self had spent with the other protector.

In her life, it had been Kal Langley who had raised her. Oh, he had been a distant somewhat cold man. But he had cared for her in his own way. Just as he had watched all of the hybrids from a distance.

She was dialing a private number of his before she even realized she had even picked up the phone.

Was she really doing this?

The beep came for her message.

“Hi, um. Kal. You may or may not remember me. I am, I am Teresa Harding? I, I am one of your charges from, you know? From back home? Only not really, because I have come from pretty far and I…. I don’t like this world Kal. Everyone hates me here. Where I came from I took your advice, and it looks like she didn’t. Did you not talk to her? Did you not love her like you did me? Oh, Hell, Kal, did you care for any of us in this world like you did in mine?”

Tess took a quick breath, “Please call me back. Please. I need someone who lives here who doesn’t hate me. You raised me to love everyone, and I want that back. I want it back, Kal. Can you, can you call me? Can you tell me, tell me you remember me? That this is all a big mistake, and this other Tess was a, a changeling or something. Some trick by Khivar?”

The second beep finished he conversation right as she mentioned Khivar. She closed her eyes and let her tears flow.

One of the laptops beeped, its program done. She readied the next program and set the phone carefully on its cradle and waited.

She was pretty sure she was going to wait in vain. But she needed this. She needed this so very bad.

And so she waited.

-------
Alex

Alex had been doing some basic investigative work. Trying to figure out exactly what had gone wrong for his alternate friends. If only to figure out how he could help them.

He had run into something that had hurt him though. Hurt him very bad.

It shouldn’t. This Isabel wasn’t his. She wasn’t.

But she had moved on so fast. Forgotten Alex so fast.

And she had loved him. Alex could feel that as he thumbed through one of Isabel’s old yearbooks.

He had started at the library. Gathering information the old fashioned way. Then he had come across the marriage announcement for Isabel Evans and Jesse Ramirez. In November of 2001.

Her Alex had only been dead for a little over six months. He had needed to know more.

So he had come here. To the old Evans’ house. It was amazing how much stuff the parents still held onto from their missing children. So many pictures.

Breaking in was easy with his powers. And it was close enough to his world that he knew the password to the safe, even the login to the computer.

July 4th barbecue was the earliest he could find with Isabel and Jesse together. And he didn’t like the smile she had when she looked at him.

Had he truly been forgotten so fast? Would his Isabel have done the same.

He stared at the picture and angrily said, “You will ALWAYS be mine. Always.”

------
Kyle-

Kyle was doing what he always did when he was worried. Or at least what he had started to do once the romance of fleeing the Feds had worn off.

Kyle was preparing bundles that each of them would use if they needed to flee. Refilling the water, making sure the rations were fresh and rotated. New batteries for the flashlights, everything in prime condition for when they might need it.

He oiled and conducted any needed maintenance on any of their gear. From the three guns he had made sure they possessed, to the tents and sleeping bags.

Some items he flagged to be replaced, others to be repaired with the hybrids magic.

Each of the exiles had come to pick up some task that helped the group. Maria had become their navigator. How she had squealed in happiness at the new GPS they had gotten her for Christmas. But Kyle made sure she still had her maps.

Max was their leader and with Liz pretty much planned everything. Max also did a lot of the essential shopping. That had surprised Kyle. Almost as much as his growing friendship with the quiet alien.

They had bonded over an interest in philosophy of all things. Sure, Max joined in on watching sports with Michael, but he didn’t really have the passion. And Michael was more than the slacker he had portrayed at school. But he was always sarcastic with his answers.

Max actually discussed it with Kyle. And Kyle had a lot of questions. But then so did Max.

It was so strange how things had changed. They were like a little family now. Tight.

And now the world would end.

Kyle stopped what he was doing. He closed his eyes and meditated just a few moments. All he could do is be prepared. To do his best.

Buddha wept, he missed his old man.

He looked back upstairs to where he had put Isabel to bed. The others would be fine, but Isabel….

No, she was a big girl now. She would be fine without him. He needed this.

So he grabbed one of the pay as you go cell phones they had accumulated, bought in another city. Charged with minutes so it would be ready if they needed it.

For extra security he was going to leave for a little bit and dispose of the phone, but they had extra. Kyle had made sure of it.

Tonight he was going to talk to his dad.

There was almost a, a compulsion to it. A desperate need.

He drove for a while until he got to the Interstate and found the closest rest stop.

He then dialed a number. In his haste and need he dialed the wrong one. Not the cell phone number they had carefully set up for extra security. No he dialed his father’s home line.

It rang once before it was picked up. Only it wasn’t his father who answered. It was a soft and sweet voice he only heard in suppressed dreams.

Tess said, “Kal? Is that you?”

Kyle closed his eyes. Tess. He recognized that voice. Once again the strange mélange of feelings he had for her washed through him. Only for the first time it ended on a different emotion.

It didn’t end on bitterness. It ended on need. On want.

On desire.

He stared off into the distance, unaware that he could have drawn a line straight from his gaze to her. How long would it take to drive to Roswell?

“Kal…. Please answer me! Tell me you remember me! Tell me you care or, whoever you are. Tell me who, who you are!”

Kyle couldn’t help as his heart began to speed up and he felt a tiny trickle of perspiration roll down his cheek. He had to keep telling himself that this had to be some sort of a trick. Tess was dead. And if she wasn’t… If Tess had somehow survived, she had never truly been on their side.

She had only ever meant trouble.

Sexy beautiful trouble.

It had taken years, but he could remember both of the times he had slept with her. Vegas had been the first. A few days later had been the second and last time.

Although they had never had intercourse. They had done everything short of that.

Tess had been worried about getting pregnant.

Hah!

It had all been a ploy. It had to have been.

But he had felt her love for him. Had felt her need and desire. Her reluctance to let him go.

And then he had felt the shadows weave into his brain. And Prom. When all of it had ended.

Ended forever. And she fulfilled her damned mission.

He could hear her crying, “Please say something! Anything! I am tired of everyone hating me. I promise I will try to fix what she has done. Just please say something. Please say you don’t hate me.” Softer, “Please tell me you love me.”

Kyle stared at the phone. He should simply close it up. Should end this conversation before it got him into even more trouble than it likely already had.

But he couldn’t. He couldn’t just leave her like this. Leave her crying and in despair.

His voice was harsh and full of so many emotions he couldn’t even begin to name. “I could never hate you Tess. Although Buddha knows I should. Although, I don’t think he’d want me to, but I think he’d make an exemption or something. Trouble Tess. That is all that you are. Trouble.”

The voice on the other end stopped sobbing and wondrously said with such love and fragile tenderness it made his heart break. “Kyle? Kyle! Your alive. Oh, Thank God you are alive! I felt you die, Kyle. I felt you, I, I…. I feel you now. I, I don’t know. But I am sorry for what she did to you, and, and I am sorry.”

“SOrry is not enough Tess. Not for what you did. But….. “ His heart pounded as the truth came out of him, “I still love you. Damn me but I do. Good bye.” And he hung up the phone before she could respond.

He stared at it for some few minutes.

But in the end he disposed of it on a south bound truck.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel’s dreams were troubled. She kept seeing the same billowing black curtains that had haunted her dreams before her wedding.

And a part of her was waiting anxiously. Sure, she was angry with him. Angry and mistrustful. But to feel his hands on her again….

Isabel shook her head. She was not her. Not Vilandra.

But her body thrummed with need. Pounded with desire. Her body ached with it.

She could distantly feel her whole body tense up with anticipation.

Waiting for it. Waiting for him.

Her lover.

Her destroyer.

Khivar.

And a man came out of the shadows. He was not clad in the same body, and in truth felt different. There was a hardness and anger she hadn’t felt last time. And a desperate desire that matched hers.

Gone was the suave certainty. The arrogance.

Now there was passion.

And a further shock.

For the body was that of an older and muscular Alex. He glared at her, grasped her tightly by the arm and he said, “You will ALWAYS be mine. Always.”

It was wrong. So very wrong. But it felt so very right.

She stepped into his embrace and kissed him. She could feel his shock and his anger switch suddenly to passion.

They tore at each others garments, needing to touch, needing more.

Fire. They were on fire.

For a moment he pulled away, just slightly, “No I….”

She felt her mouth twist with displeasure, “I am yours. Take me, for I shall surely take you….”

His eyes were bright with passion, “Mine.”

“Always…..”

-------
?????

Agent Thomas looked from monitor to monitor. Until he saw flickering lights coming from Isabel’s room. He activated the lowlight sensors and saw her face in the throws of passion. Flicking the sound from record to active listening he heard her grunts and moans.

He shook his head. That looked like a NICE dream. For one guilty moment he thought of himself being the partner on the other side of the dream. And shook his head.

The hybrid might be a fashion plate, but he loved his wife. Still…..

He activated the full sensor suite to record everything. There was so much they didn’t know about these hybrids…. He monitored her body temperature.

Over one hundred eight degrees. In a normal human she would be dying. Instead she was crying out in passion, flickers of light gleaming from underneath the covers.

And muttering words.

They really needed to find out who this Khivar was.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 5 -01/06/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading along.

Timelord31- Thanks. Good question.

Ellie- Thanks. He should. But will he?

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

mary mary- Thanks. And thanks for the tip, its exactly what I was asking for.

jojotheorange- Thanks

chanks_girl- Thanks. He really should tell them. But well he knows how they feel about her. As for Isabel, it will be interesting when she realizes who was in her dream.

cindy52- Thanks. I am also looking forward to it. Isabel will actually muse on Jesse in this chapter. Thanks.

After the End part 6

Alex

Alex fell back onto the couch utterly spent. His body was still trembling and he was full of a warm glowing lethargy.

So very strong. She had be SO very strong.

Isabel had pulled him in. He had made the connection. But how could he know that she was dreaming. That she had been waiting.

Waiting for Khivar.

She had thought he was Khivar, had called out his name. And Alex’s too. She’d mentioned that more than once. In regret and anger that Khivar had stolen his form.

But more so in passion.

Alex was confused and worried. Why would she not even mention her human husband Jesse? Not once did she utter that name. And yet she had married him so quickly, had fallen for him so fast that fateful year of his alternates death.

Worse from Alex’s stand point was his own actions. He hadn’t tried to clear up Isabel’s confusion. He had just taken her.

Guild seared him. He had been in this world little more than a day and yet he had already cheated on his dead wife. A woman carrying his unborn child. A woman he had sworn to protect and love.

Alex stood up, very much aware of how badly his clothing was sticking to him. He was sopping wet.

How was he going to explain this to Tess?

The main door to the house opened.

Alex tensed. He tried to move stealthily, but his body was still shaking from the intensity of what had he had just shared with Isabel.

It had been so very real….

Diane Evans walked into the room carrying a bag of groceries. She dropped them and made for the door.

Alex used his powers to shut the door on her.

She pounded on it in frustration.

Alex began using his powers to make him a little more presentable. There was a slight chill as he made the moisture evaporate from his clothes.

He would have to deal with the sweat stains later. But he was not going to confront the mother of his beloved soaked to the skin from an erotic dream of said daughter. No matter how realistic, and in its own way real, it had been.

Diane whirled and glared at him, fumbling in her purse for something. “What are you doing in my house? Who do you work for?”

Alex couldn’t help but smile. Diane was one of the nicest people he had even known. He’d occasionally had issues with Isabel’s father, but never with Diane. Seeing her again, even under these circumstances was a pleasure. More so than the Sherriff had been, whom he’d never been very close to in his world.

Diane pulled out what looked like a small black egg, almost like a stylized car alarm device. “I warn you, I do know how to use this! Keep you hands where I can see them!”

Now this was a surprise. A palm blaster. A lethal last line of defense item used by the many Antarans who couldn’t blast. It was similar to the Healing Stones in that it drew its power from the user. Diane might be able to fire one maybe two shots before collapsing in exhaustion.

But it could kill or stun an enemy that had not other means of defense against. Say against a Skin.

So there had to be an Earth Resistance willing and able to help the Evans at least.

Good.

For a moment a wash of red flashed before his eyes. Memories of his wife, his unborn child, his friends, his family.

All gone. And why? Because some evil would be interstellar warlord was losing and decided to destroy his enemy by destroying his hiding place. His jaw ached and he could feel a buzz of uncontrolled energy surge through him.

Diane’s voice was fearful as she reiterated her threat, “I tell you I will use this unless you tell me who you are working for! Is it Khivar? Or Nicholas? You have powers, you’re not a Federal Agent.”

Alex said through grit teeth, “You don’t recognize me, Mrs. Evans? In my world I came over here often, I think I must have done the same for a time as well.”

“You look familiar, but I don’t have time for games. Tell me.”

“I work for the Throne of Antar in Exile. For your son, Mrs. Evans. I worked for Max.” Alex opened his eyes, to look at the frightened woman.

“Max?” Her voice quavering. “You say you worked for him. Is he okay?”

“I don’t know, Diane. Sorry, on my world we were on first name basis.” He rubbed his face, “I am sorry Mrs. Evans, I don’t know if your Max is okay. I take the Sherriff has not yet talked to you?”

“The Sherriff? What would Sherriff Hanson have to say to me?”

Alex sighed, “So much is the same. And so much is different. At some point I will have to find the turning point for out two worlds. But for now, lets leave it at the fact I am from a different Earth. One if which I lived. One in which Tess Harding hadn’t killed me.”

Diane’s eyes were searching. “Alex? But you are….”

“Dead. Yes, Valenti showed me the grave earlier today. I wanted to talk to someone I trusted who still lived here, and well it let me look through your scrap books too. I want to know what happened. Why did your Isabel and Max have to flee Roswell? I read confused things in the paper, but… You were there.”

“Why are you here?”

Alex’s voice was grim, “My world was destroyed. I know your daughter is alive. And I want to make sure the same thing that happened to my Isabel, doesn’t happen to this one.”

Diane nodded, “You loved her.”

Alex’s voice was harsh, and guilt lashed through him, “Yes. Yes I did. And I will do anything to protect her. She will never be mine, not like the other…. But in my beloved’s memory, I will not allow what happened to happen again. I swear it!”

Diane put down the stone. “Help me with my groceries, and I will fix you a cup of coffee. And we can talk.”

Alex nodded and helped carry the fallen groceries into the kitchen. Where he learned much.

And yet remained confused. Liz had robbed a convenience store with Max? Max and Tess had slept together?

So many questions.

He would have to find the alternates of his friends and find out the answers. And see how he could protect them.

He had failed on his world. He would not on this one.

-------
Liz

Liz lay in Max’s arms. Dreaming.

Most of them were pleasant dreams. But one wasn’t. One was important if she could only remember it.

Liz rushed into a room she thought she’d never see again. The opening to the Granolith Chamber was higher, and she had to clamber down a ladder to confront Alex. But he was there.

Waiting.

Alex was standing next to the Granolith, a small boy in his arms. The Granolith was spinning quickly, the lights brightly flashing. But Liz could see it visibly slowing down.

It had already been used.

His face was exultant. “You are too late. Jack was able to send the signal. It is finished. You are all safe. Finally safe.”

Liz looked Alex. “My God…. All those people…. What have you done!”

Alex shook his head and ruffled the small shy boy’s golden hair. “I did what I needed to do. And Liz, it worked…..”

Liz woke up suddenly.

Max grabbed her and held her close, “Did you see something? Or just another nightmare?”

Liz wrapped her own arms around Max, enjoying his warmth. She gave him a soft kiss, which lead to a much more passionate one.”

Max reluctantly pulled away, “Liz…. What did you see?”

Liz rolled onto her back. “I don’t know Max. It felt real. Like I was seeing something. But, Alex was there.”

“Oh, Liz…..”

“I know. I haven’t seen any visions of him lately. I don’t know. It was something about the Granolith and this little kid and…. Max it had to just be a normal if odd dream.” She caressed her forehead, “This whole apocalyptic dream I had before, I think it has thrown me out of whack.”

“Hmmm. Okay, so now what? Do you want to go back to sleep? Or….”

“Mr. Evans! What are you implying?”

Max simply kissed her. And memories of the odd new dream began to fade. She said a quick internal prayer for Alex, and left her sad past behind her.

And enjoyed the present.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel tested the water of her bath with her foot. Just about perfect. The scented bubbles designed to calm.

And she needed every tiny bit of calmness now.

What had gotten into her? She had all but called on Khivar to take her as his? No, wait, she had done it. She had told Khivar to come and claim her!

She shuddered. Only partly in horror and revulsion, because the dream had gone on to the most awesome dream sex she’d ever had.

No change that, it had been the best sex she’d ever had. Even if it had only been a dream. Which she supposed was kind of sad. But parts of her were still fluttering with aftershock of that last orgasm.

Her clothes had been soaked as had her bedding. She’d actually taken it off and thrown it on the floor before coming into the bathroom. She had actually walked naked to the bathroom, holding her towel and robe at arms length to not contaminate them.

Her room was a wreck too. She had never had that problem with Jesse, but apparently her powers had gone a little wonky while she had been playing with her dream lover.

And it had felt so real. Her whole body ached, partly in need, but mostly just ached. It felt a little different than if she’d actually done the act or…. Isabel blushed, acts. More as if her muscles had just gone taunt with tension than dealing with the aftereffects of lots of friction.

But there had been some physical effects. There were a couple of almost burn mark looking bite marks. Luckily the iridescent glow seemed to be fading.

She remembered clawing his back a couple of times. Hope she’d left marks too.

What was she going to do?

This was Khivar!

Khivar as in the alien warlord that had killed her and her family in the first place. As in the alien she had nearly left Jesse and Max and Michael over.

Sure she had suspected that Khivar HAD been the one to kill her. But she had known he had loved her, and well coming to claim her after so many years had to mean something hadn’t it? She could still feel echoes of it even now.

But this new improved Khivar….

She would have left all of them for him, even after what Michael had said. There just seemed to be a point at which their souls directly connected….

Isabel sat up quickly in epiphany. This is what drove Max. And came to drive Michael. This feeling. Enough to get alien loving Michael to stay in Roswell just to be with the girl he loves. Even knowing that she might leave him some day. Or to drive Max to risk his life and those of his family simply to keep the girl of his dreams alive one more day. Knowing as he did that she would never truly accept him.

Isabel shivered. She had never truly felt that. Not completely. She had loved Jesse. But…. Part of it had simply been that he was safe and normal and embodied a lot of what she had wanted her future husband to be. She HAD loved him. And he had loved her.

He had. She had known that for truth by simply watching his dreams. Even after he had found out what she was, he had been willing to do almost anything for her.

But she had known there were limits. That what they shared was not even close to what Max and Liz had. Or what Maria and Michael now had. It hadn’t been a strange hybrid kind of love, partly fueled by the Abyss that stole so much of the normality away from them. No her love for Jesse had been normal, as had been his for her.

And it wouldn’t have lasted. She knew that. Whatever magic had been there in their bond would not have survived the troubles that followed. Isabel would have and could have lived a happy normal life with him. It would not have been perfect, it would have been normal. She would have been content.

But this…. Had she faced this that long ago day in San Diego, rather than an arrogant assumption that she would follow him…. No she would have said good bye Earth, hello Antar.

Which come to think of it, might still happen.

What would the others think? Moreover what did she think? This was Khivar…. How old would he be now? Would that matter or did they have ways to make people young again just like they could bring them back from the dead?

What would life be like there? What would……

Khivar. She had sworn she would never let herself fall for him again. That this would never be a factor.

Maybe then she should stop it before it began….

One of Kyle’s knives that he kept hidden in any room he hadn’t stashed a gun flew to her hand.

Yes maybe she should just end it. End her strange and blighted life before she was induced to betray her brother and family again……

She lifted the blade to one wrist and….. Set it down.

She sighed. Suicide just wasn’t in her. She was too much a survivor. Maybe if she could take Khivar with her…. Maybe if there were a way she could make her death useful. But this was simply silly and melodramatic.

She tossed the knife onto the counter and reheated her water.

Nice warm soothing water. Nice pretty sweet smelling bubbles.

It would have to do.

Her mind continued to wander over the possibilities for hours. Reheating the water and refreshing the bubbles as necessary.

She was not leaving until her mind was at ease. Or she turned into a total prune, in which case Khivar wasn’t going to be interested, so problem solved right?

Michael called up that he had cooked hamburgers and did she want one?

In truth Isabel did. Michael could still cook a mean burger. And Isabel was hungry. But she was still rattled and she was NOT leaving the tub.

Memories of how badly torn up her room was, made her squirm. And the still sweaty bedding…

Not leaving the tub. Probably never.

So she told him she would be down later and to save her at least one.

Maria tried briefly to coax her out. Trying to find out what was wrong.

The door remained closed and barred. Isabel even using her powers to keep the door shut.

Maria eventually stomped away grumbling about Princess’s…..

Isabel couldn’t help but smile. Something’s never changed. And despite their friendship, Maria still occasionally tossed the Amidala comments her way.

She sighed waiting for the inevitable Max or Liz visit. She just needed to soak up all the happiness she could. Didn’t her family understand that?

Kyle didn’t knock. He didn’t give her any warning of his presence at all. He just rapidly opened the door and walked in.

He didn’t even look at her. His eyes were a mix of haunted and wild. But still…. Here she was, Isabel Evans naked except for a few bubbles….

Shouldn’t he at least look? I mean this was KYLE for goodness sakes…. Was she losing her touch or, she looked at her fingers. Had she already withered away under the hot water?

Kyle closed the door behind him. “Isabel, I need to talk to you.”

“Apparently so, seeing as you barged in on me while I am bathing. And I DO NOT WANT TO BE DISTURBED!”

Kyle nodded distractedly, “Yeah, but you’re the only one I can trust with this. You have to promise me, promise me that we can talk about this and you won’t tell the others.”

“Kyle.” Something was definitely wrong. He was pacing back and forth, his mind completely somewhere else. She’d never actually seen him like this before. Maybe the closest had been when she had told him to not to tell Max and Michael about Khivar until after she had left for her honeymoon. He’d been pretty excitable then.

This was worse.

“What?” Kyle looked at her. His face starting to actually see the situation he was in.

Isabel lifted her chest a little out of the water. Enough so that the tops of her breasts were visible above the bubbles, and she artfully lifted one of her legs to give him a view of her thigh. “Do you see anything going on here? Something you shouldn’t be seeing at the moment.”

Kyle nodded, his cheeks flaming, but his eyes drinking her in. “I am a dead man.”

Isabel nodded. “Quite possibly. Only…. What has you so riled up.”

Kyle averted his eyes, his nervousness returning. “You have to promise you won’t go all nuts over this. That you will listen and that you won’t tell anyone about it unless I agree, okay?”

Isabel looked at the man who had become one of her best friends, if not in the way she had thought they were drifting toward. In fact, if she were honest to herself, had this situation happened a week or so earlier, it might have had a different outcome.

But after that dream with Khivar….

Isabel cleared her throat. “Okay. But, Kyle, I have a few things I need you to do for me first.”

Kyle muttered, “I am going to pay big for this aren’t I?”

Isabel smiled, “Go into my room and toss all my bedding into the washer and start it for me. Luckily I have extra sheets. Don’t worry I don’t trust you to put them on right. Just toss the other ones in the laundry.”

“Right.”

Isabel’s stomach grumbled, “And Kyle, can you also grab a couple of those hamburgers Michael was making for me? You know how I like them. Add in enough other stuff to make it a dinner. I haven’t eaten in hours.”

Kyle looked back at her. Really looked at her. “Something’s wrong with you too.”

Isabel gulped, “Yeah. Meet me in my room after you’ve grabbed enough for both of us. Take your time getting the dinner ready, say ten to fifteen minutes?”

“Okay.”

She looked up and met his eyes, her worried brown meeting his worried blue grey. “And I will expect you to keep silent on what I tell you too, okay?

Kyle nodded, “I’ll get it started. See you in fifteen.” He opened and closed the door.

Isabel reluctantly activated the drain. The water did not take all her troubles away.

But she felt a little better. A little less sore.

And while Kyle would never be her lover, he made a hell of a confidant. She got up and toweled herself off. Time to find out what was causing Kyle to spin like a top and to spill her own guts.

For a brief wistful moment she thought of Alex. He would have listened to her too. For a brief moment she wondered if the relationship she had with Kyle was the one she would have had with Alex. Or if that moment after Prom would have truly blossomed into something more….

Isabel went to her room and waited for Kyle.

-------
?????

Agent Thomas sighed. He had seriously been getting worried about that girl. That moment with the knife…. He wasn’t sure what he would have done.

The longer he spent watching these kids the more he saw them as well, slightly odd kids with unusual abilities. It was hard to think of them as being a threat to the Government, let alone world peace.

No he could understand the need to study them. Just…. There had to be a better way.

He activated the cameras in the other rooms to view what the others were up to.

Another not so normal day in the ‘Hybrid House’ as they had all taken to calling the place.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 6 -01/23/11

Post by PML »

Thank you again to everyone who is following along.

mary mary- Thanks. Yep, Agent Thomas is a nice guy. Most of these agents watching the Podsquad are.

Mt Gazer- Thanks. All I can say is they will be confused about the whole issue for a little while.

Leila- Thanks. Ah, information and the characters of Roswell. How many times woudl their lives have been so much easier if they had only shared what they had known....

Timelord31- Thanks.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. That flashlet maybe important. Or possibly not. Liz didnt see enough of it to see if it was real or just a dream.

Natalie36- Thanks.

Ellie- Thanks. Jack will play an important role. Assuming it was a flash and not a dream. As for being called Khivar... the man who just destroyed his whole world.... Yeah, ouch.

After the End part 7

Alex

Alex quietly walked into Valenti’s house. Talking with Diane had been illuminating.

Isabel had loved his counterpart. Simply too late. His death had been one of the reasons she had opposed her rapid marriage to Jesse, certain that she was on the rebound.

Alex wasn’t so sure. He had gone to the apartment that Isabel and Jesse had shared, unused at the moment. And he had felt for impressions.

Isabel had cared for Jesse. Quite a lot actually. Alex wasn’t sure it was true love, but she had loved him. And he her.

Alex was simply confused. He wanted to hate her for how quickly she had forgotten him, but he wasn’t sure he could maintain his anger.

Not after this afternoon.

Although that had its own problems.

Khivar? She had thought him and eagerly gave herself to him as Khivar?

Tess greeted him softly, “Hello.”

Alex looked up. His friend seemed in a strange mood. Both elated and at the same time depressed. “Ok, what happened.”

Tess looked at him and said, “I talked to Kyle. I mean, I did everything I was supposed to. We should have the money wired to our accounts in a few days. I’ve contacted the people who will give us identification.”

“And this involves Kyle how?”

“He called. Wanted to talk to his father I think. But I was here. I don’t know. I…. “ She looked away, “It was so good to hear his voice.”

Alex nodded. “Ok.”

“Okay? Just okay? I have contacted one of the local group and its just okay?” Her eyes tightened as she took a good look at him. “What did you find out?”

“Quite a bit.” He sat down at the table. “I am not as mad as I was with her before. Or rather, I simply don’t know.”

“Why did they leave? Did you find anything about that?” Tess asked.

“Pretty much the reason Jim said. There was an investigation into the whole incident. A few people got fired when it was found that the Air Force had dragged in a bunch of armed men into a high school graduation. Apparently the incident caught the national news for a few days before blowing over. But…”

“What?”

“The Special Unit almost certainly still exists and is hunting our friends. Could have some of them for all I know.”

Tess frowned, “We can’t let that happen.” She shook her head, “This world is so messed up.”

Alex cradled his head in his hands. “Tell me about it.”

“Okay, spill, Alex. You are trying to keep something from me and its not going to work. So rather than have me play twenty questions and truth searching you, why don’t you just tell me. You know I will find out, sooner or later.”

Alex looked over at Tess and glared. It was true though. It was a very useful skill she had. She could act as a human or rather hybrid, lie detector. She could sit there and sift with simple questions and work her way to exactly the piece of information she wanted.

No one as far as he knew was immune. She had managed to pull information out of the best enemy agents without even directly entering their heads.

In many ways it was her scariest power. Because you simply could not hide. Tess would break you and find out what you were hiding. It was only a matter of time.

Alex shuddered as he remembered the last time it had happened, Tess’s soft California accented voice slowly talking to their prisoner. Slowly and calmly dismantling his defenses.

“I got sucked into a dream. I have never felt so much power….”

Tess leaned forward, “Isabel?”

“Yes. It was here.” His voice had a tinge of bitterness, “She thought I was Khivar.”

“Ouch. So how badly did she hurt you?” She laughed, “I bet she apologized once she knew you weren’t really Khivar.”

“I didn’t have a chance.”

“That bad, huh?”

He gave her a withering look and his voice was dry, “It was the best sex I have ever had. It felt so real, Tess. It felt all of it.”

Tess looked at him oddly. Reached over and pushed down a part of his collar. She looked at him and nodded. “Okay, buster, remove your shirt.”

“Huh?”

Tess’s eyes were speculative, “Alex you have a power burn hickey on your neck. I want to see if there are any other marks.”

“I am not going to undress for you Tess, I like you but….”

Tess’s voice was dry, “Oh, don’t be a baby. Just your shirt. I’ve seen you go swimming after a long weekend with Isabel before. I am just curious, aren’t you?”

Alex stood up and turned. He grumbled and lifted up the back of his shirt. He turned back when he heard Tess hiss.

He tried to turn around but Tess held him straight.

“Hold on, I want to make sure she didn’t actually hurt you.”

He felt Tess’s hands softly touch his back and tiny trickles of healing energy float in.

“Okay, turn around. I don’t think I need to see more. God I don’t believe I want to know about any other marks.” She sat back down at the table with a thump. “I honestly have never heard of something like that before.”

“I was pressing along my Bond with her. And…. Tess she’s not mine. She isn’t. I can feel that. But the Bond. It’s, it’s just as strong. Or, or maybe even stronger. And I don’t know why.”

Tess’s voice was soft. “We need to go to them. We have to.”

“I don’t know. I, I don’t know if I can control myself when I see her next. I basically jumped her…. Tess, what kind of monster does that? I mean I felt my wife DIE….”

Tess patted his hand softly, “But we are alive. And so are they. We were brought here for a reason Alex, I am sure of it.”

“But why?” Alex’s implored Tess.

“I don’t know. But then we won’t until we get there.”

Alex nodded. He stood up and walked toward the bathroom, “I am going to take a shower and then go to bed early.”

“Pleasant dreams.”

He turned to face Tess and said, “That is what I am afraid of.”

Alex took his shower and tried to forget what he had experienced that afternoon. But how? How could he possibly forget the wonder and bliss?

As he closed his eyes he was uncertain if he wanted Isabel to dream walk him or not. But he did sleep.

And he did dream.

----------
Maria

Maria sat on the couch and stared at the television. There wasn’t really anything on, but at the moment she needed something to remove her mind from her current situation.

Topsy-turvy as usual. It just wouldn’t end. Just when she would start to think things had finally calmed something new would come up.

The idea that her baby might never be born because the entire world would crack like a plate was frightening. Almost as much as the fact that she was pregnant and on the run from the government.

Michael handed her a plate with a hamburger and fries, made the way he knew she liked it. He smiled at her and gave her a peck on the forehead. “Max and Liz just grabbed a couple of burgers and went into their room. Have you seen Isabel?”

Maria shook her head. “Let me get her. I haven’t seen her all day. Or Kyle for that matter.”

“Kyle’s truck is gone. He’ll be back, but he must have had something to do.”

“Do you think?”

Michael shook his head. “I don’t think its going to happen, Maria. It has been three years. They are good friends, but I don’t think anything more will happen.”

Maria sighed, “I just want them to be happy. Like you and me or Max and Liz.”

Michael shrugged. “We got lucky. They didn’t. We can only hope that their luck changes.”

Maria stood up and gave Michael a kiss, “I will go check on her. You are going to make extra?”

Michael shrugged, “Reheating them with our powers they taste fine, the only taste evil if they aren’t cooked first.” He walked back to the kitchen.

Maria looked down at her plate and grabbed a fry. She quickly gobbled it down. She was really quite hungry. More than she had thought She looked at the stairs and had a bite of her hamburger.

She really should see about Isabel. She raced up the stairs and to Isabel’s room.

It was not what she expected. The room was a complete wreck. It never looked like this. Never.

But here it was.

And the bed was stripped of linen. All laying on the floor in a neat pile. The room smelled of sex and an odd electric tang.

Maria’s heart was beating fast. She couldn’t see any clothes littered anywhere. And as far as she knew no visitors had come in.

They always had to let the others know if someone not of the group was in the house. Otherwise they might see things better not seen. Her hand went to her mouth as she held back a squeal.

She didn’t know. Not for sure.

But if she and Kyle…. And Kyle might still have issues with being with an alien woman. Because there were differences. All the humans had talked about it. Even if only Kyle knew from first hand knowledge.

Moreover there was a … feel to a room when one of the hybrids, or Liz for that manner had climaxed. It was like a…. residue. One you could feel.

Or she could anyway. But then she was becoming a hybrid expert. She placed her hand on her belly. In more ways than one.

She could feel it here. She felt a little flutter through her system. And smiled.

Her highness had needed that. So very tense. And Kyle…. Well she couldn’t imagine it was anyone else, but Kyle had been getting kind of on edge lately. This should help them.

Now how to manage the transition.

She walked to the bathroom and heard the soft splashing of water. Isabel in her bath, Kyle in his truck driving….

Yep both of them trying figure out what was going to happen now.

She couldn’t help a tiny little laugh escape. This was exactly hat she needed. Something light and fluffy to make it no seem so dark.

She knocked on the door, “Isabel, honey, Michael made some burgers. I haven’t seen you downstairs all day. You have to be starving.”

Silence.

“Is there something wrong? You know you can tell me anything.”

Silence. A bit more splashing.

“Please Isabel, I am getting worried about you? How long have you been in there.”

“Not long enough. Now go away. Have him save me a few burgers, but I will be out when I am out. So just go!”

“Once a princess, always a princess….” Maria mumbled as she began the trip downstairs.

Michael was sitting next to her spot, “Well?”

Maria worked her way around the coffee table and picked up her plate. She ate a bit of her hamburger. It was a little cold. She held it over to her lover.

He just glared a little and heated up her hamburger. “Now are you going to tell me?”

“Maybe.” She had another bite of the hamburger. So very good.

“Maria….”

“Isabel had mind blowing sex. That much is not in doubt.”

“Kyle?”

“Do you know anyone else in the house?” Maria smirked at him.

“You do realize he’s been gone all day.”

“Yep. Thought about that.” She took another bite.

“And?” Michael said, one eye raised.

She set the burger down and prepared to stake her claim. “Look, Isabel has been holed up in the bathroom all morning. For the same reason Kyle took a drive. They have been dancing around a will they won’t they vibe for what three years now? You know how broken Isabel was once she found out Jesse had moved on. Or how much Isabel kept Kyle from falling apart on his fathers birthday last year…. I think that they simply needed time to think. To sort things out and make their jump to coupledom.”

Michael popped a fry into his mouth. “Maybe. We’ll have to see though. I am not so sure.”

“Well I know that…”

Kyle burst into the house. “Where is Isabel?”

Michael said, “Upstairs.”

Maria said, “Taking a bath.”

Kyle looked a bit frazzled and distracted, “Right. Upstairs. Bath. Got it.” He ran up stairs.

Maria shot a triumphant look at Michael as they heard Isabel scream a bit at Kyle. And then the door closed.

Michael’s eyebrows shot up.

Maria giggled, “Told you.”

A few minutes later the water was draining from the tub and a frazzled Kyle was running about down stairs. He started by taking a load of sheets to the washer.

Maria finished her burger and walked over to him. “So, long night huh?”

Kyle said, “Yeah.”

“Want to talk about it? You know I am here for you.”

Kyle had a complete deer-in-the-headlights moment as he simply stared at her blankly, “Um, no, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

She tried to put her most persuasive voice to use, “Kyle… You know sooner or later you will have to tell us. Why not just tell us now.”

Kyle ignored her and walked into the kitchen.

“Hey, you don’t get to ignore me like that!”

Kyle turned to face her, “Maria, stay out of my business. Yeah, you are right, I will have to tell you folks sooner or later. I don’t want to, but it’s going to happen. Okay? Happy? But NOT. RIGHT. NOW. Understand Maria, not right this moment. I need to talk to Isabel. I, Buddha preserve and protect me, I need to just get my head around all this. You have no idea how much I didn’t see this coming.” He laughed bitterly, “I should have, but now. So give me a little space and you will get your damn answers.”

“Sheesh. I though meditation was supposed to calm people down. I still have some of that calming oil I picked up in Fort Collins….”

Kyle shot her a glare. Quickly prepared a few hamburgers and trimmings, enough for a small army. Or one of the guys.

Where did they put it all? If she ate like that she would puff up like a balloon!

She watched him stalk up the stairs and into Isabel’s room. Slamming the door.

How like a guy.

She nodded sagely. He was probably just worried about what this would do to his friendship with Isabel. “What I wouldn’t do to be a fly in that room right now.”

Michael looked up and chuckled evilly. “That can be arranged.”

“MIchael, I don’t want to be a bug. So if you have developed some twisted alien power….”

Michael put a finger to her lips and dragged her off to a utility closet. He gave her a kiss and said, “Bring back memories.”

Well this wasn’t quite what she had in mind. But it WOULD take her mind off of Kyle and Isabel. “Mmmm, fond memories. Although we DO have a room all of our own now.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and gaining leverage gripped him with her legs rubbing him just so….

Michael grunted and Maria could feel a reaction to her efforts. She kissed him deeply.

This was fun.

There was a conversation she could distantly hear but her heart was beating much too loudly to make out the details. Besides she was focused on Michael now. Rubbing her belly against his lower chest and jeans.

Michael was mumbling against her neck, “Baby, as much as I want to keep going, we can always finish this later.”

She nibbled on the spot on his neck right above the shoulder that always made him react….

Distantly she heard what sounded like Isabel and Kyle arguing about something. About Tess.

Trust that blonde to still be messing up his head.

She removed her top. She’d gone braless today since she wasn’t going anywhere and the last few weeks her nipples had hurt after being confined.

Michael smiled and fondled one breast while kissing the other. He paused and removed his mouth and his hands.

She looked up at him and frowned. He moved her legs aside and unbuckled his pants.

Since she was now standing she used the leverage to start pulling his shirt up. Both of them giggling slightly as the got in each others way. She kicked away her own jeans.

Both of them stood before the other. Naked and radiant in each others eyes.

Maria looked up at him. “I should get some protection.”

Michael laughed, “I have already knocked you up, baby. What more can I do?” He picked her up and placed her on a step ladder. “Besides I always wondered what it feels like without one, you know.”

Kyle said distantly, “Look it wasn’t like I planned this.”

Isabel answered, “You know we weren’t supposed to use those unless it was an emergency!”

Kyle answered angrily back, “And the end of the world isn’t an emergency?”

Maria looked at him in wonder, “You can hear them.”

Michael chuckled as he walked over to a tool box and opened it. Inside amongst the other tools were a couple of vials. “It’s a little primitive in here. But we will make do.” He held up a vial, “This is that body gel you liked so much, right?”

“Oh, Michael…. Yes. That is perfect. Where did you get all this?”

His voice was dry, “Well I had planned on having a special night with you after I proposed, but since that’s been postponed….”

Isabel sighed, “Do you think it was really her? I mean, really? She’s what vanished forever several times now.”

Kyle’s voice held a trace of doubt, “I am pretty sure. And that Bond thing, what we both feel. Well, if I had a small one with her, its somehow grown.”

Isabel said, “Yeah, but how?”

Kyle sighed, “I don’t know.”

Maria said softly, ‘Well what do we do? I want to hear this. Don’t you?”

Michael walked over and gave her a kiss. “I trust you to get all that I need out of it. Well most of it anyway. So you try and focus on the conversation.”

“What will you be doing?”

He opened the vial, “Making love to you. We will save the loud stuff until later.” He cocked his head to the side, “Or if we are about to get caught. Seriously this is the best excuse to be in here that I can imagine. Now just lean back on that towel….”

Maria felt the tingle of the gel on her shoulder, and as he rubbed it onto her breasts. It was hard to focus on what they were saying above. Hard not to focus on the bliss that Michael was teasing her with.

There was a long pause where the only things she could hear was the sound of their breathing her own pounding heart.

But Kyle and Isabel continued to talk. And Michael continued his glorious distraction.

Maria could only hope she didn’t miss too much.

But there was no way she was going to tell Michael to stop. She felt her skin coat with sweat and her muscles tense.

No. There was no way she was going to let Michael stop. Not now not ever.

Maria continued to listen, her mind half consumed by bliss.

But she did listen. And what she heard was MUCH different from what she expected.

------
Isabel

Isabel frowned and picked at her burger. She didn’t know what to think about Tess being back. She hated the girl for what she had done to Alex.

But Isabel had had nightmares of what could have been. Isabel had sentenced Tess to be turned over to the government. To be tested on like a lab rat for the rest of her life. To be used to breed more hybrids perhaps….

Better they had just voted to kill her.

If Tess showed up again, odds were good that is what Isabel would do. But looking at Kyle….

Kyle loved the evil blonde. He somehow thought she could be saved. Maybe.

Isabel said quietly, “It doesn’t change that she killed Alex.”

Kyle looked away, “No, it doesn’t.” He quietly finished off his first sandwich and moved to the next. “So you had something you needed to talk about.”

Isabel sighed, “Yeah, and it’s as bad.”

“What. Surely it can’t be as bad as Tess coming into our lives again.”

Isabel’s laugh was bitter, “But it is. I slept with Khivar.”

Kyle was silent. He set his plate down and started pacing the room

“Kyle?”

“And by Khivar, you mean, Khivar?”

Isabel looked down, “Yeah.”

“And you slept with him? What did he use that wormhole thing and pop in and fuck you senseless.”

Isabel wiped a tear from her eye, “It was a dream okay? A dream Kyle.” Her voice was soft as she began crying, “It was only a dream.”

Kyle stopped pacing and looked at her. “One mighty strong dream. You know, when you had me put your sheets in the washer, I thought you were going to tell me you found someone. That someone new had come into your life and that I was going to be replaced.”

“Kyle….”

“No, please, let me talk. Buddha wept, you are as screwed as I am. Khivar? And you are sure it was just a dream?”

“I didn’t exactly break out my CSI kit and test for semen, but I am pretty sure I went to sleep alone last night.”

“Yeah. I left after I did a safety check on everything. The doors were locked.” He looked at her expectantly, “You don’t think you sleep walked and let someone in or something?”

“And then dreamed that I slept with him, come on Kyle! My life is hard enough to believe in in the first place.” Angrily she took another bite of the sandwich. Perfect. Kyle knew exactly how to dress her burgers. Of course it HAD taken a little while and a few detailed diagrams, but he had gotten it eventually.

Kyle walked over to where he had set his plate and sat down. “I don’t know what we have done, but its almost like the both of us are being punished.”

Isabel only grunted and attacked her fries. She had been hungry.

“So what was the sex like? With your dream Khivar.”

Around a couple of Tabasco dipped fries, Isabel said, “It was the best I ever had. I was screaming my head off in my dream. Calling out to Khivar, hell I even called out to Alex once or twice.”

“Huh,” Kyle said his mouth partly full of a bit of his sandwich, “I never thought you ever thought of Alex like that.”

Isabel looked away. “You know I did actually. There near the end. I mean we made out a bit after Prom and all. But there wasn’t really any place special for more than that. And Alex was tired, kept making me promise I wouldn’t leave him like a little lost puppy again.” She nodded to herself, “I would have gone further, maybe slept with him that night if he had been more aggressive. God, I wish I had been. But I had broken his heart so many times, it was like he was afraid of me.”

“And then it was too late.”

Isabel let out a long wistful sigh, “Yeah. I see him sometimes. It’s just my thoughts, my memories of him. But I ask for advice, ask for reassurance. And he is there.” Her smile was sad, “Not this time. No, this time it was Khivar in his body. An older trimmer Alex.” She sighed, “He was really yummy and sexy.”

Kyle’s voice was dry, “Apparently so. I am just curious where she has been for all this time. And why I feel her.” He looked over at Isabel. “Do you feel Khivar?”

Isabel nodded. “I’m not ready to talk about this to anyone. I really, really don’t know if I could look into either Michael or Max’s eyes…. Not after this.”

Kyle’s voice was soft. “We are going to have to tell them sooner or later. You know that.”

Isabel nodded, “I won’t tell them about Tess, if you don’t tell the about Khivar.”

“Yeah, but face it. At some point we will have to let them know.”

Isabel nodded, “But not yet.”

Kyle nodded, “Not yet.”

They finished their lunch and planned their afternoon. It would be hard to lie to the others. Better if they just spent their time together.

It would be safer that way.
Last edited by PML on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 7 -02/08/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. And thanks to Mt. Gazer for her beta magic.

Ellie- Thanks. Yes and they know it. But denial is such a force in their lives. Particularly those two, and their forbidden loves. It won't last, thankfully. A part or two more.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. For Isabel its a personal horror of her possibly betraying everyone she loves. That simple. Kyle has the same fear regarding Tess.

mary mary- Thanks.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks again for your help. Quite a dream, I would say. Hope you continue to enjoy.

After the End part 8

Alex

Alex walked back into the hotel room. He was so very tired. The last week or so, sleep had been very stressful.

Every time he went to sleep she was there. And what happened there was so very pleasurable.

Too bad she still thought he was Khivar. And he knew, simply knew, she wasn’t his wife.

Once more the guilt poured through him. What was he going to do? Whenever he realized that he was dreaming, that she was really there, she would kiss him.

She simply wouldn’t let him talk. And from the little he had gotten from Diane, Valenti, and Amy; these versions of the hybrids didn’t have much contact with their alien allies.

His had. He’d had dreams, dreams that had become shared sex dreams, of his travels to other worlds. Of his time training and traveling in space.

He’d kept himself sane during those periods by dreaming of, and with, his Isabel too. It was only natural, only seemingly right for him to reach out and make love to his wife…..

Only when he woke up, he would remember. Remember that his wife was dead. Dead with his unborn child still inside her. Shattered by the very being this current Isabel considered her dream lover.

And it had taken him a tiny bit to realize that this Isabel very much thought of him as a demon lover. That she would eventually be damned. That he would force her to turn on her friends, and become a puppet for his pleasure.

Tess looked up, removed the earphones from her ipod, and smiled at him. She was still wearing her Astro‘s hat, the team her Kyle had wanted to play for. “Boy you sure look tired, maybe you should get some rest.”

“Tess….”

Tess looked at him closely, “Seriously do you realize just how scared of you she really is? That it would be ever so kind if you just let her know the truth. That you are an Alex from another world. Then you can both go on to the pointless angst I know you both will indulge in. Followed by a brief realization that you both can have another shot. Then, I don’t know…. You can have her for real. You know, real sex with a warm body? And not just having the impulses plugged into your brain. Its stickier, but a hell of a lot more fun.”

“Tess….” A thought came to him, “Have you been dream walking me?”

“You bet. Kyle too. Not going to try with Liz or Max, not with the history my alternate shared with them. Michael and Maria are kind of boring really. With him it’s sports and sex. With her it’s singing and sex. Seriously, you would think they could think of something else. Oh, and apparently Maria is pregnant. Or she’s gone baby crazy. That is possible too. Lots of babies cropping up. But I think pregnancy is most likely since Michael has started to be joined by a kid at the games.” She shook her head, “Amazing how different and not different they are at the same time.”

Alex grabbed a chair and sat down. “Are you sure what we are doing is right? I mean, maybe we should just leave them alone. They aren’t really our friends.”

Tess snorted, “Come on, Alex. That is ridiculous. Of course we go to them. Even if they are not directly our friends, they are the closest we are going to find in this world. And that doesn’t count these Bonds we have. There has to be a reason they are so strong. Mine to this Kyle is probably stronger than it was back in our world. And yours with this Isabel, simply off the scale.” Tess waved her arms expansively. “I say we go to them now, rather than find ourselves making excuses and finding ourselves there anyway, only NOT ready. So let’s assume we are going and just go already.”

Alex stared at her, “You have spent a bit too much time in Maria’s head I think.” He turned away, “But you are probably right.” Alex sighed heavily, “You’ve seen my dreams; she doesn’t give me a lot of time before she does lip lock.”

Tess cackled merrily, “You my dear, are just as bad. Makes this Kyle’s dreams seem almost serene.” She looked off fondly, “Now there is a man who has changed.”

“You sound like you approve. I thought you loved Kyle.”

Tess nodded, “I did. I do. And that makes it hard. But…. I almost think this Kyle is closer to me in a lot of ways.” She laughed out loud, “Although his knowledge of Buddhism is very shallow, its funny to watch. But he tries. I don’t know. I look forward to talking with him.”

“You at least weren’t married to him.”

Tess walked over and put a hand on his arm, “The vows go, until death do us part. She’s gone Alex. Just like my Kyle. Gone.”

Alex stood up, “So what? We just forget them? Just move on with the copies from another universe?”

Tess’s eyes were bright, “No. I could never forget him. And this Kyle, sweet as he seems to be, will never be the same person, will never fill that same void. But I think there is a reason we are here. And I think that these Bonds are here for a reason as well.”

“Destiny? From you, Tess?” Alex chuckled nervously. “I thought you hated the very thought of Destiny any time Nasedo brought it up.”

Tess stood proudly, her eyes still glittering with unshed tears, “I will not have anyone try to control my life. It is mine, and whatever those people who created me wanted me to do…. Well they should have consulted me first. I am no royal brood mare, not here and not there. I just wish….”

“Wish what?”

“That the Tess in this world had known that too. I can see that she wanted a normal life. But Nasedo…. He poisoned her. And she thought she didn’t have a choice. And the few choices she did make, the few chances she took…. They were foolish and bad, Alex. She thought she could play both sides off with the Book. She didn’t even think what it might do to you. I mean seriously, how could she be so, so STUPID?”

Alex reached out for the slight girl, “They will hate you. You know that don’t you?”

Tess held onto Alex back, “Even Kyle. Oh, God help me, even Kyle will hate me. But we have to, Alex. Even if we tried to escape it, you know we would just be dragged to them.”

Alex said quietly, “You have the finances and ID’s worked out?”

“Yes.” Tess said in a small voice. It was obvious she was crying at this point, trying to pull what comfort she could from the last true friend she had. Perhaps the last one she would ever have.

“Then we leave tomorrow.”

Tess pushed him back, tear stained blue eyes glaring into his. “You WILL tell her, right? You will make sure she knows that it is not Khivar coming to claim her. Just a mortal Alex. That will frighten her enough.”

“I will tell her. I promise.”

They stood there for a while, trying to draw comfort. They would soon be greeting people who would look and act mostly like those they had known and loved. And yet they would be completely different.

It would be hard. Very hard.

But Tess, was right. It needed to be done.

-------
Michael

Michael watched as Maria glared at Kyle and Isabel. Both of them simply ignored her and swept out the door.

For a picnic.

Michael looked out the window. It wasn’t quite snowing, but it was cold. Very cold compared to the days when they had been in Roswell. Good chance for a storm later too.

Not a picnic. Both Kyle and Isabel had been skittish since the talk Maria and he had listened in on. The one where Isabel had claimed contact with Khivar, and Kyle with Tess.

He turned to face his lover, “So what do you think? Are you ready to tell Max yet?”

Maria glared out the window as Kyle and Isabel pulled away. “I will find out what they are up to! As for Max, be real. Sure he’d want us to tell him anything we know, but what do we know? Nothing. Both of our friends are mental cases? We knew that.”

“You are testy this morning.”

Maria frowned, “I can’t seem to keep anything down. I haven’t thrown up yet, but it has been a close call.” She looked back out the window, “And there is something going on there. Have you seen how Isabel has looked lately.”

Michael shrugged, “She’s looked pretty good the last few days.”

Maria turned and hit him softly, “Michael, not even you are that blind. The woman is practically GLOWING! You don’t get that look out of a bottle, trust me I have tried.” She shook her head, “The woman is unaccountably happy. The sort of happy glow you only get when you’ve had mind-blowing sex or are pregnant. Both of which mean she and someone have been getting busy. I mean, before they left….. She was washing her sheets…. AGAIN! That’s what? The fifth time this week?”

“Maria, they are not a couple. Look, and even if Isabel is doing someone, Kyle certainly doesn’t seem to be having fun. And knowing how he has made a few comments, he certainly wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to sleep with her. He’s almost as pathetic as Alex was in that regard.”

Maria’s eyes welled. She hugged Michael. “Alex. God I miss him.”

Michael just held his girlfriend warily. The last week had been interesting. Maria was always mercurial in her moods. Lately she had become even more so.

So he held her tightly, and comforted her as she cried again for her long lost friend. His mind was on what Kyle and Isabel might be up to.

He almost hoped Maria was right. That Kyle and Isabel were now regularly doing the nasty upstairs. But he doubted they would be so furtive about it. It wasn’t like the others didn’t know more than they likely wanted to about their sex lives.

No. Something was happening. He needed to know, if only to make sure that it didn’t endanger Maria.

Or the others too. He still saw himself as a protector of them all. But Maria took center stage for him now.

As she had for sometime.

And so he comforted her.

------
Max

Max was sitting reading the latest Bryce McCain novel. Max had never really been into Science Fiction when he was growing up. His life had been Sci-Fi enough for him.

But Liz had always liked his novels, and her enthusiasm had rubbed off a little onto him. Added in was a certain amount of respect for the author, who had been one of several voices asking what had happened at Roswell. Why had the military deployed armed men and snipers at a small high school graduation?

Max sighed. He could never go home again. That much was certain, and not just from the visions that Liz saw. Some of the rumors that had come out over the whole incident had him accurately portrayed as an alien.

Sure everyone shot that down, but all it would take was one more nut like Everett Hubble and things would go completely off the rails. No, he and his family could truly never go home. No matter how much he wished it.

Usually it was over missing his parents or Liz missing hers. But today his thoughts were of Amy. Maria really needed her.

Max took a look at the time. Just about time to pick up Liz from her job at the library.

He frowned again at the diminished prospects they all faced because of whole alien abyss taking over their lives. Liz should be graduated by now, or working on her masters. Not helping out part time at a small local library.

Max sighed and put the book down. He got up and exited the master bedroom. Michael and Maria were seated on the couch. Maria looked a little pale.

Max walked over, “Do you mind if I check, Maria?”

Maria shook her head.

Max placed his hand close to Maria’s belly and used a whisper of his power to check. He nodded. The fetus was growing normally. It wasn’t anything like he had felt with Tess. There he had connected almost immediately and the baby had grown much too fast.

Michael asked, “So what is the verdict doc? Do we need to hop the next flight to Antar?”

Michael’s comment had been accented sarcastically, but Max knew him well enough that Michael was truly concerned here. As was he himself. Because while Liz hadn’t actually said anything, Max had been feeling hormone shifts in his lover’s body over the last few days.

It was a dicey thing that even one of their group was pregnant, now with two…. They would carry on, and they would make it. But things were going to get tough.

Hopefully, they would be able to actually make a life here. And not just for the winter. Maybe they couldn’t go back to Roswell. But maybe they could make a new home.

Max smiled, “The baby is fine. No problems that I can tell. Maybe what happened with Tess was all a sham. I can’t see any reactions like I did with her.”

Maria nodded, “Trust Tess to screw with our minds.” She exchanged a glance with Michael.

Michael raised an eyebrow and shrugged.

Something was going on. “Anything I should be aware of?”

Michael was looking intently at Maria as he said, “No, I think we have it all under control. But you can be sure we will let you know as soon as we find anything out. Right Maria.”

Maria giggled. “Right.”

Max looked at her intently. Something was indeed going on. But he didn’t really have the time for this at the moment. “Okay, well I am off to pick up Liz. You guys need anything?”

“We’re good.”

Max sighed and walked out to the car. And prayed that whatever secrets those two were hiding didn’t come back to bite them later.

-------
SAC Kat Archos

SAC Archos sat at her desk in Washington. She longed to be off in Wyoming, longed to be on site. But she needed to be here to monitor the constant political fluctuations that could spell doom for her program.

And with it, any hope she could reclaim her old life.

She started the video conference, “Agent Thomas. You look a little under the weather.”

He smiled, “Just been doing some video work, ma’am.”

“Well, I hope it is good news, agent. Do we have confirmation on Parker?”

“Yes, ma’am. And more. Isabel is also pregnant. Hormone levels rocketed late in this week.” He shook his head, “Who the father is we have no clue. But unless it’s some strange hybrid thing, it’s definitely not her monthly cycle. And well, I have a theory. Not something I am happy with as to who the father might be, but you will have to bear with me.”

“So it wasn’t Valenti? I know that boy has been following her quite a bit.” Of all the people she had been chasing, Kyle Valenti had changed the most. Definitely not the arrogant jock he had been sophomore year.

But then again, they all were different from who and what they had been. Even she herself had changed.

Agent Thomas shook his head, “Before I turn this over to the science guys, who will explain some of the technical things they are doing to study all this….” There was true admiration, “I have to admit, this is a well thought out experiment. You even have the townsfolk as controls. And yes, there is some notice of a baby boom here. It will be a good thing to shut down our, um, additions to the local tap water.”

“Ok, so what do you have to show me?”

Agent Thomas nodded, “Okay, so you know about the odd electromagnetic displays that occur when the hybrids get excited? Namely those effects when they are sexually active? Well, Isabel had the mother of all electromagnetic events about a week back. She was alone at the time, so it had to be a dream…. The only thing is, we have heard her repeatedly claim to be able to enter other’s dreams. And right after that event she claimed it had been with an entity known as Khivar.”

“Right, this was in the last report. Go on, Agent.” She motioned impatiently.

“Now from the bits I have been able to cull from recorded conversations, Khivar was their big enemy from their homeworld. One that apparently had a relationship with Isabel, or as she was known then, Vilandra.”

“Okay, where did you learn all this?”

“Kyle and Isabel have been talking about this a lot. Isabel thinks she is being dream walked, that’s their term, by Khivar. And that he is going to try to co-opt her against her friends. Apparently he tried this before her wedding to Jesse Ramirez but failed. This time she doesn’t have a love interest to hold her against him.”

Archos adjusted her glasses to read part of the report that was in front of her. “So she believes all he has to do is show up and she’s off with this space overlord?”

“Essentially. But it gets more interesting when you see this.” A small popup screen appeared with video of Isabel floating under the covers, lights flaring through the blankets.

SAC Archos rolled her eyes at the sight of the moaning hybrid. “And you are showing this to me why?”

Agent Thomas hit a few keys on his end and everything changed. There was a ghostly figure there, acting on Isabel’s body. The spectral being could only be seen at the points in which it made contact with Isabel’s form.

“And the points where Isabel touched it...” Kat watched in silence as the video played. “Something was actually there. Acting through the blankets, not physical at all.”

“It took the tech guys all week to rig this up. I told you they deserve a raise or kudos of some sort. They have been able to detect echoes of the hybrid’s powers.” He shook his head, “It isn’t real time yet. This took a long time, and well it should be possible to rework it so we can edit out her body as well and just watch the forces interplay. I have one of the techs working on that now.”

“This is good work, Agent Thomas. Keep it up.” She pursed her lips, “I will see what I can do to shake a little more resources your way. Now switch me over to the techs, maybe they can give me some insight as to how this is happening.”

Agent Thomas nodded, “Yes, ma’am. Just I do want to point out that our experiments would go much more efficiently if we had direct access to these kids. What they can do is marvelous. And we could learn so very much from them….”

SAC Archos shook her head, “They would run. Unless we set it up where they have no choice at all, they will simply run. And if the others caught them….. No their experiences with us tell them we can’t be trusted.” She nodded to herself, “If I were in their shoes, I would run too.”

“But we mean them no harm….”

Archos smiled, “Figure out a way to prove that Agent, and I will let you make contact. Until then….”

Thomas smiled at her and nodded. He hit a few more buttons and she was talking to her next conference. One of the techs trying to give her a quick run down on what he was doing and why he needed more resources….

Even though this man was dull as dirt, SAC Archos smiled throughout the presentation. She was still thinking of Agent Thomas, and his enthusiasm.

She could only hope the man never had it crushed out of him as thoroughly as she had.

SAC Archos continued her work.

-------
Isabel-

Isabel was confused. She was worried and frightened at how much of a hold these dreams of ‘Khivar’ were. But more she was worried at just how damn euphoric she was feeling lately.

There was a large part of her now that looked forward to her dreams. That positively searched for any sign of ‘Khivar,’ just so she could jump him. And if it never quite reached that ridiculous plateau she had hit a week ago, it was still pretty damn good.

Dream sex with ‘Khivar’ was better than anything Jesse had ever given her. And yes that was sad.

If the man showed up, there was a good chance Isabel wouldn’t be able to control herself.

She didn’t look forward to the possibility of betraying her friends though. So she simply never gave him the opportunity to speak.

Her dream lover seemed to go along with it.

She was however starting to believe that it wasn’t really Khivar, though. Sure no one else had ever made her feel like this before. It was something she had never shared with her brothers, and certainly not with her husband, but the passion had definitely been higher for Khivar.

Of course, she hadn’t trusted him worth a damn either. That was what made her send him packing the first time. She knew in her heart she could trust Max and Michael. Khivar not so much. Just a whisper of the possibility that he might have betrayed her….

Yeah, Isabel was pretty sure that Khivar had killed her on Antar. Unlike the boys, she was pretty sure her death had been an accident. Possibly brought on by a double cross. Say, Khivar promising not to kill her brothers while fully meaning to do so.

Isabel couldn’t remember any of it, but she had a pretty good idea what had happened.

So why did she want to trust this new guy?

She wanted to open up to him. Wanted all of him.

When she had confessed that to Kyle he had told her that he would watch over her. That he would protect her while she talked with Khivar.

And so she would know the truth.

He had admitted to dreaming of Tess on and off since his phone call to her. Of wanting and needing her.

Of course, his dreams had been different. The two of them talking. Of her saying she wasn’t the murdering bitch that the Tess they knew was.

And if this was a different Tess, maybe this Khivar was different too. She did not want to think who he reminded her of. Of who he looked like.

Because Alex was dead.

She drifted into her dream state and felt along the Bond that linked her to her dream lover.

He too, was asleep. Asleep and waiting for her.

’Khivar’, who might indeed not be Khivar, was wearing some sort of uniform and staring up at the sky.

She looked up at the starlit sky. It wasn’t Earth’s…

Isabel gasped as she saw where they were. They were on a cliff staring out into space. Below her so very distantly were tiny lights. Cities? Homes? She didn’t know.

‘Khivar’ clasped his arms behind him and sighed. He did not turn around. “Arilan. I spent over a year here. A year spent without my lovely wife, learning how I could protect her. Trying in my very own limited way to be worthy of her. I didn’t realize just how limited my time with her would be.”

His voice…. It was so very familiar.

She said softly, “Alex? Are you? Are you Alex?”

He remained gazing at the unfamiliar stars, “Yes. Not your Alex, but Alexander Whitman never-the-less.” He turned to face her. He drank her in, obviously in love with her. And she could see traces of guilt and anger lurking there.

Isabel could not help her body from beginning to shake. This was impossible. Alex was dead.

It was just impossible.

The need was still there. The desire that had propelled this whole mess was all but driving her into his arms. She could see the strain in him as well.

He wanted her. Badly.

But how could he let her have believed that he had been Khivar. Her hand flicked out and slapped him hard. She glared at him. How dare he!

His smile was not pleasant. The desire was flickering deep in his eyes, but anger, deep wells of anger were there too. “Sorry, Princess. I am not your alien lover. Just Alex. Just forgotten and despised Alex. How long did you wait before you were sleeping with Jesse? Was my alternate’s body even cold before you let him have you?”

“I LOVED YOU! Don’t you dare think any differently! I just ran out of time. I thought you would always be there…” her eyes glittered with unshed tears. “And then that bitch Tess stole you away. She killed you just when I finally was ready.” Isabel backed away. This was too much. She could feel her heart speed up and pound.

Alex sneered, “Tess. Of course it was someone else’s fault. And not yours. Not the Golden Princess. Were you honest with your Jesse? Did you come clean with him, tell him what you were? Or was he just another Grant. Someone normal who would take care of you. Take care of all the messy real world things and give you a sense of normalcy. How long did you think you could hide, Isabel? How long did you think your real life, which has always contained the seeds of the past, would leave you alone?”

She needed to go. Needed to be gone. This was too much. Too much. Too quickly.

She traveled through his memories, traveled through his thoughts in the need to escape. The very notion of waking to this bitter truth seemed too painful to bear. And so she fled.

Alex followed her. Calling after her.

In the end, Isabel fled to the very corner of his mind. To a place he simply couldn’t directly see. A place beneath his conscious and sub-conscious mind. She was safe here.

As she hid, she rested. She was in the spot where life met soul. Safe from any stray thought or memory. She could feel bits and parts of her own essence move to the hidden vibrations that surrounded her.

But his soul cried out to hers and hers to his. And she could feel them plait and become ever closer.

No. She wasn’t safe here. The longer she lingered the closer and deeper the Bond between them would come.

It felt good though. Warm. She could feel the loneliness slowly bleed out of her….

No. No! Not like this.

Again she fled. This time to an upper strata where she was safe from the Bond deepening.

Or safer anyway. She wasn’t sure she would ever be safe from Alex. Not this one.

They were soul mates. Somehow. Perhaps they hadn’t been. Perhaps he had been with his Isabel in a way that she had never been with her Alex. She didn’t know.

But both of them were now linked. Deeply.

It frightened Isabel.

In the future she would wonder why the simple idea of waking up never occurred to her. Of why she was still drawn in.

She did her best to remain hidden. To be stealthy as she walked amidst his thoughts and dreams.

And she found him.

In what could be the worst possible time.

Prom. She found both a red clad Isabel and a tuxedo clad Alex dancing at that dreadful Prom…..

Only, there were differences. Tess and Kyle sat with some of Kyle’s jock friends in the corner with their dates. Max and Liz were firmly together. Just looking at them you would know that they would never be apart by their own choice.

Different. Better in so many ways. So very less bitter.

And Alex seemed calm. Not jittery at all. Confident in her.

The dream Isabel seemed happy. Genuinely happy. And in love.

She watched them dance. Watched as Michael and Maria temporarily switched partners. How she wished she could hear them. But Isabel was still so afraid. Afraid that she would attract his attention from his dream.

So she watched as they danced the night away. As the night ended and they walked towards Alex’s car, she felt drawn along. So she followed.

She remembered the brief drive. Remembered the kiss in the car. Although she didn’t remember all the heavy petting that went on.

Weren’t they afraid of what the parents might think?

Apparently so, because a laughing whisper to Alex had him start up the car. And they drove.

She didn’t remember this. Isabel had remembered briefly considering the make out spots around Roswell. Had considered trying to tempt him into something more.

But her Alex had been so very determined to take it slow. To have her prove herself to him.

Isabel sat in the back seat of the car as the two love-birds drove on. Isabel made a phone call. To Tess of all people. They talked of make-out places. Trying to make sure they didn’t all meet each other in some hidden spot.

Dream Alex quietly said to dream Isabel, “So where?”

She hung up her phone, “The Quarry. We have the quarry. None of the others will be there.”

“Just you and me and the stars. Perfect.” Alex glanced over at her, “So when is your curfew? When do I need to get you home.”

Dream Isabel’s answer was throaty, “I am eighteen, Alex. I don’t have a curfew.”

Alex shook his head, “Don’t play with me like that. When do I need to get you home before the huntsmen get sent after me.”

“Alex, they trust you. We honestly don’t have a curfew. They just made me promise to be careful. To be safe.”

Alex was silent for a moment. “They trust me huh? They do know me right? Know that I am totally besotted with you? And that I am a teenage boy? Not a safe mix.”

“They trust you, Alex. They really do. You are different than the other boys I dated.” She flipped her hair back, “To them I would just be another notch. One they would claim even if they didn’t even score a kiss. You are the real thing, Alex. And they see that. You are my Liz.”

“Great. I was so planning to ravage you my beauty, but now. Now I will have to restrain myself. Now I must live up to the trust that has been emplaced in me. To not ruffle a single petal of the flower that is my dearest Isabel….”

Dream Isabel flopped back in her seat, “Oh, God, Alex. That is sooo cheesy.” She leaned against him, “And you had better be prepared to manhandle me back, because I certainly plan on manhandling you. And if you don’t….”

A quick glance, “Or what?”

“I tickle you to death.”

“Well then I guess I will just have to manage.”

The real Isabel sat quietly in the back as the two continued their banter. Continued all the way until they reached the abandoned quarry.

She wanted to flee, but couldn’t bring herself to. This could have been her. This should have been her. She should have been the girl in the front seat awkwardly making out with Alex.

She followed them when they got out of the car. Watched as first the tarp and then and air mattress was placed down.

What exactly did they plan on doing here?

Alex went back to the trunk of the car to grab something. Blankets as it would turn out.

Isabel, the dream Isabel had other plans. Most of the quarry was pretty rocky, and the water inaccessible. But there was one spot that was used occasionally if illegally by the locals to swim.

Surely her dreamself didn’t mean to….

Isabel, watched as the younger version of herself quickly stripped off her dress, using her powers to push all the buttons out at once. She stood there a moment, clad only in her bra and panties. And she took one step towards the reservoir.

The dream Isabel looked back and saw Alex grabbing the blankets and nodded to herself. The bra and panties joined the dress on the ground and Isabel sprinted for the water. She was almost waist deep by the time Alex came back.

He called to her. “Isabel?”

She turned and posed for Alex. “Don’t you feel like having a swim.”

Alex just looked at her and swallowed. “You are naked.”

“Tonight Alex. I want it to be tonight.” She backed a little deeper into the water. “There are condoms in my purse. We can use them later,” She smiled back up at him, “But first a little swim?”

Alex was quickly undressing.

The real Isabel turned away. And sobbed.

She couldn’t stay here. Not now. Not now that she knew what was going to happen.

It could have been her. She had been trying to think of ways to entice him. But he had been so frightened of her, so certain she would break his heart again.

Instead her Alex died.

No she couldn’t face this.

So Isabel tried to flee from two young lovers. But no matter how hard she ran, no matter in which direction… She always ended up at the shoreline. Always watched as the two frolicked in the water. Watched as the passion came to them and they crawled upon the shore.

She bore witness as lightning caressed the quarry and the lake. As two souls joined and became one.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: After the End (CC ALL, FF, Mature) Part 8 -02/20/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. Thanks to Mt Gazer for the beta help.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Things are about to get a little scary for some of our friends.

Ellie- Thanks. Yep. Maria is pregnant. So is Liz. And if Liz is right, so is Isabel. How, well thats an interesting question isn't it? (I do have an answer and it will be forth coming. Its even hinted in this part, though I would be amazed if you fully caught it and its implications.)

Timelord31- Thanks.

Mary Mary- Thanks.

Mt. Gazer-Thanks. Part of this Alex's problem is that part of him was always lingering with Isabel and vice versa. So he reaches out without a thought. GLad you liked the Gazer bits. More of those in future parts if not so much in this one.

After the End part 9

Liz

Liz lay there fitfully sleeping. She had come straight home and gone directly to bed.

The last few days she had been exhausted. No matter how much she slept, the fatigue just kept creeping up on her. But her dreams had been troubled of late.

Flux. It was all in flux somehow and for whatever reason her talent had suddenly gotten sharper. Every night she had seen something, a fact she had only shared with Max.

Because some of what she saw was mutually incompatible. She’d had visions of them being captured. Of Maria’s baby lost. Of Maria lost in childbirth. Of Liz and Maria quietly knitting baby socks together, both of their bellies swollen.

Liz woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a baby’s cry. It took a half second for her to realize who it was

Mikayla. Sweet little Mikayla of the soft smiles. She had her father, Michael, wrapped around her tiny finger. Maria was more resistant but not by much.

Liz looked over at Max. Sound asleep. Or pretending to be. She checked the clock. It showed 2 am.

Liz sighed, “Of course. Baby bonding hour.”

She rolled out of bed. She stood up and headed for the crib near the corner, where David had already pulled himself up. He cooed softly, but his gaze already was looking at the living room. Looking to where he would meet his friends.

It had started naturally. One of the babies would cry and wake the other. They would often need to be changed and or fed about the same time, and well since one of the girls was up, they usually visited with the others.

Liz briskly settled down David, changing his diaper, again. A bottle tonight. These meetings always went better with them using bottles, although Maria usually made a pro forma argument.

But then these meetings had changed over the last couple months. Before the babies had simply enjoyed the other’s company. Lately though something had changed. Maybe Isabel’s twins had taught the others something. Some sort of twin speak they were now privy to.

Something had happened, and now every night at two am, the little ones would wake up eager to meet their ’siblings.’

Maria had even joked that they were quadruplets born of different wombs.

Liz wasn’t quite so sure, but something odd was happening. Something that you couldn’t look up in a baby book. Nope no special chapters on hybrid babies.

Thank goodness they didn’t have powers. Yet. All of them were watching for it. For that first moment. Max said that they should be able to. That their brains were wired for it, even if their blood looked totally normal.

Or mostly anyway, there were a couple oddities with the twins, but nothing that was truly odd. Bright golden babies they were. Bright gold hair, an odd gold hazel mix for eyes, the two twins of Isabel looked like mirrors. If they didn’t realize you were watching they could be a little eerie. Watchful and analytical. If they knew, one would capture your attention. Bury you with a calculated adorableness or just as calculated sullenness that would attract your attention.

And that was the key. The other would be watching. Observing. Just a little eerie.

How much of this was normal? And how much of their experience with these special wonders was because of their part alien nature?

She walked out holding David in her arms, carrying him to the playpen that all the babies shared for these odd nights. Maria was nursing Mikayla. She smiled at Liz and nodded at David. Who gravely nodded back at her. But his eyes were searching. Mikayla stopped feeding and turned ever so slightly. She whimpered up at her mother.

Maria chuckled, “That is just so freaky.” She turned Mikayla so she could see her friend.

Mikayla let out a milk scented gurgle of happiness and waved her arms.

Maria rolled her eyes. “I take it the meeting is about to be adjourned?”

There was the sound of footsteps on the stairs. There was a small plaintive wail. Isabel grumbled, “We are almost there you two, calm down.” Isabel came down bearing her two girls. “You two are so lucky to just have one. Its not like either of them is patient either.”

More happy arm waving and squealing from Mikayla.

Cassie and Vicky just shared glances and looked up at their mother.

Isabel had to laugh. She set them in the playpen where they impatiently waited for the others.

Liz set David in. He gurgled a thanks up at Liz. At least that’s what Liz assumed it was. David was a bizarrely polite baby. Still just as messy and pig headed. But he would usually say his equivalent of please or thank you. The food would still go flying, but you usually had a split second before he started throwing things.

Maria put Mikayla in the now crowded crib and the three women moved back to talk. This whole scene usually lasted about an hour while the babies tired themselves out and then it would be back to the whole sleeping thing. Which Liz was looking forward to.

A few minutes later, Maria called their attention back to the playpen. All four children had moved into a close circle, sitting up (more or less), and holding hands.

Where their hands touched was a tiny golden glow.

Isabel’s voice was hushed, “They’re connecting with each other….”

Liz woke up abruptly. Her dreams had been so very strange lately. So very strange.

Max sat up next to her. “Another dream?” He reached over and held her.

Liz nodded and placed her head on his chest. “I think I am pregnant Max.”

Max grumbled an assent.

Liz looked up at him, “You knew?”

“Not knew, but I can feel something changing inside of you. I didn’t want to probe too deeply, not without you asking. But it felt a bit like what is going on in Maria, so….” Max shrugged.

Liz was silent for a moment.

“Liz? Is there more?” Max asked.

Liz sighed, “If my dreams are correct…. Isabel is pregnant too.”

------
Agent Thomas

Agent Thomas was working on some paperwork when he heard Agent Sullivan splutter, “How does she do that?”

Agent Thomas got up and walked over to the screens that were monitoring Hybrid House. Max and Liz were cuddling together in their room. Maria and Michael were still sleeping.

Neither Isabel nor Kyle had returned. Thomas frowned. He could only hope that the team he had placed to watch them had managed to keep up with them.

That slipperiness of these kids was the whole reason for this set up after all.

Agent Sullivan was simply shaking her head. “How can she know that? Seriously.”

“What is it Sullivan?”

“Liz just flat out said Isabel was pregnant. She has what, nothing to go on? Unless Motormouth told her what she suspected.”

“Liz is just like that. These kids can do improbable things. Just keep watch on them and record everything. You have the Spooky working?”

Sullivan nodded.

“Send the data to the techs. Maybe they can see something….”

“Yes, sir.”

Thomas went back to his desk and his paperwork. Sullivan might not realize just how important the work they were doing might be. Thomas hadn’t thought of some of the knockoffs to be gained from watching some super kids. But Cassidy had.

And if Cassidy was right, these kids could give them the stars.

Thomas smiled and got back to work.

------
Kyle

Kyle was seated in the dugout of the baseball diamond by West Roswell High. He had played here so many times. Had once thought he might actually be good enough to go professional.

Maybe even join the Majors.

Instead he got involved in the Alien Abyss. He wasn’t as bitter about it as he once had been. Sure his life sucked. He was being chased by the Federal Government because his friends were a little green around the gills. He didn’t even have the girl.

Basically he had nothing. Not even the powers he had been dreading about had come.

What he did have were friends closer than any of his sports buddies. That could and did count for a lot. But there were times when he wondered. If Kyle had just done what his father had asked. If he had just stayed put….

Where would he be now? Some double or triple A team? Working somewhere? Married with kids maybe? Or perhaps he hadn’t been able to keep it together, maybe he’d have dropped out of school and had his life flame out.

He didn’t know. And never would.

Part of Buddhism was letting go of the attachments that bound you to your passions. Maybe it was better he had never gotten that shot at the Majors.

Still he wondered….

Kyle smelled a whiff of perfume nearby. He turned and saw her smiling at him. She was wearing a pair of shorts that showed her legs to affect. Her shirt was a light blue and perhaps a little tight. Her eyes were a brilliant blue, her hair corn silk blonde. “What are you doing here Tess? I didn’t dial for a nightmare tonight.”

She just smiled and looked out onto the field. “I remember senior year. You worked so hard that year. Dropped playing basketball even. Devoted yourself to baseball, all because of the scholarships being dangled in your direction.” She chuckled, “I had to work so hard to make sure your studies kept up too. But you made it. We both did.”

“You didn’t go to school here Senior year.” He watched the other Tess warily, trying to figure out exactly how this was going to go wrong.

And admittedly looking at her. Damn her for being so beautiful.

She looked at him and shyly smiled, “I am not your Tess. And you are not my Kyle.”

Kyle couldn’t help but preen a little under her admiring gaze.

Stupid yes. But he couldn’t help it. She might only be a figment of his imagination, but she was still a sexy looking woman.

He could feel his mind begin to change the scenery to fit his now amorous mood. So what if it were Tess? It was only a dream.

Tess raised a hand and the changes stopped, “No. Not yet. Alex might not be able to stop himself, but I can. You are not my Kyle.” Her voice turned soft, “I still want you. My body, heck most of my mind says you are close enough. That you are Kyle and that is enough. But I, I want to know you, Kyle.” She set her arm on his shoulder, “And if we do end up making love, I want it to be real. A real first time and not some overpowering dream.”

Kyle looked at her in disbelief, “You are dream walking me. Tess can’t dream walk. What is going on here?”

Tess smiled, “Tess can so dream walk. Yours could have too if she had actually worked it out and talked with Isabel. If she’d been an actual partner, rather than an outsider with an agenda.” She shook her head, “My world was completely different Kyle. When we get to where you are staying we will discuss more of it. And maybe figure out why we are here.”

“You are coming here? As in real world here?”

“Yep. We know where you are, and well Alex could find Isabel anywhere. So please don’t try to run okay? We will make sure the Feds don’t follow us.” Tess had both of her hands on his shoulders and was staring fondly into his eyes.

“Alex? Alex is dead!”

Again she shook her head, “Your Alex is dead. Mine is not.”

Kyle’s eyes shot open. He could hear a nasally whiny sound coming over from Isabel’s bed. Both of them had been so tired that they had decided to stay from their long drive. Isabel had been calmer from the whole experience.

At least until she had removed her bra. Even then she had complained of soreness and a huge amount of fatigue.

Kyle got up and looked across the room. It was easy to see in the supposedly dark room because Isabel was glowing.

Literally glowing.

The brightest part was her lower abdomen, but her entire torso was shining. Her shirt must have been discarded at some point in the night. And the covers were bundled up on the floor.

Kyle looked away for a moment, until a whimper of pain came from Isabel.

Kyle had to help her. Somehow. Sure it was embarrassing, bypassing a lot of the privacy he had given her before.

He turned to face her and walked over, “Come on Isabel, it’s only a dream. Come on wake up.”

Her skin was hot to the touch. Tears were streaming from her eyes. There was an odd discharge coming from her breasts.

And he could not wake her. In some ways that scared him even more.

Enough to make the call.

------
Max

Max slammed the door of the car shut. It was still dark out but they needed to get to Isabel as soon as possible.

Maria slid into the passenger seat, GPS unit ready with directions.

Max glared at his friend for just a moment. Wishing he could take Michael too. But Liz was too tired, too wiped out from all her dreams. And someone needed to be there to protect her.

If they needed to carry Isabel, Kyle was already there. But if they needed a woman’s touch….

Max knew how fast the blonde girl could talk, but even he was surprised at how she had managed to pull off this coup.

He was still angry with her and Michael for hiding things. Angry too with Kyle and Isabel for hiding what might turn out to be even worse things.

Hadn’t they learned anything from their high school days?

Maria said softly, “You know she’s probably pregnant.”

Max said gruffly, “Liz thinks so too.”

Maria brightened, “Really?” She looked back at the house. “Well I will pester her tomorrow.”

Max grunted and pulled out of the driveway. “I presume the father is Kyle?”

Maria’s answer shocked him, “Well that is what I would think too. But it’s not what Isabel thinks. Or Kyle for that matter. From what I overheard they both claim to have never slept together. Still it’s more likely than what Isabel assumes.”

Max glanced over, “Who is that?”

Maria’s voice was deadpan. “Khivar.”

Max felt a thrill of fear and sped up. His sister was in trouble and they needed to help her.

Fast.