The Evans:Rake's Betrothal(AU,M/L,MATURE)Pt10-06/16/04[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The Evans:Rake's Betrothal(AU,M/L,MATURE)Pt10-06/16/04[WIP]

Post by A Rose Is True Blue »

Title: The Evans: A Rake's Betrothal
Author: Me :-D Erin, A Rose Is True Blue
Rating: MATURE
Category: AU M/L
Summary: It's a historical romance. The first in the series (The Evans). I'm going to be writing a fic for each couple (Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Alex/Isabel, and Kyle/Tess). Max, Michael, Alex, and Kyle are all Evans... and this is the story of Max and Liz. They've been betrothed since Liz was born, but have never met. What happens when they finally do.... but under false names?
Disclaimer: All right, I own nothing. Roswell belongs to Melinda Metz, and Jason Katims, and I guess I owe credit to every single historical romance I've ever read, LOL, because I never even knew what the word 'rake' meant until I read stuff by Stephanie Laurens, and Johanna Lindsey and so on...
Dedication: For Jess, who gave me tons of historical romance author's names... and Lindsay who listened to me bitch and whine and complain. LOL. I love you two! OH! And for Elena who I barely talk to anymore, my klutz buddy.

Okay, I think I did enough babbling, yeah?

The Evans: A Rake's Betrothal

Prologue

1801, London

The Marquis of Calverton, Lord Phillip Evans was content. He was married to the woman he loved, and had four sons to show for it, plus another baby on the way. He had no debts, and was doing pretty well for himself and his family. Whistling, he opened the door to the master bedroom, expecting his wife to be asleep. He had arrived home from Bath earlier than he had expected, and had hoped to surprise his wife. Instead, he found her dressed and waiting for him in the middle of the room.

Upon seeing him, Diane stood up and walked over to him, a bright smile on her face. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her towards him for a kiss. Grinning, Diane whispered against his lips, "Good morning."

"It is indeed," Phillip replied. He rubbed her stomach. Diane was already in her eighth month and Phillip was desperate for a girl. Kneeling down his kissed her stomach, causing his wife to laugh.

"I heard your carriage pull up this morning," Diane stated, explaining why she was up and dressed. When Phillip didn't explain why he came home early, Diane nudged him, "And why are you home so early? I expected your business in Bath to take longer than a week and a half."

"I missed my family," Phillip replied kissing Diane again, "and it didn't take me as long as I thought it would." Phillip led Diane out of the room and towards the dining hall. He had breakfast ordered, and held the chair out for Diane, before taking his place next to her. His butler, William, delivered the paper and tea before leaving the two alone again.

Diane sighed when Phillip said nothing to her. She had stayed up all night wondering how she would bring up the topic of a betrothal between, Maxwell, their oldest son, and Elizabeth Anne Parker, the newly born daughter of the Count and Countess Somerset. Lord Jeffrey Parker, and his wife, Lady Nancy Parker were well know throughout the ton (London's elite society, filled with prominent lords and ladies), and respected. For that alone, she was intent on having an agreement between the Evans and Parkers. She was snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of her husband's voice.

"-Are proud to announce their daughter, Elizabeth Anne Parker, was born on Sunday..." Phillip grinned, "Well, I think we ought to make a visit and pay our respects later on in the day."

Diane grinned at her luck, "I was just about to suggest it. You know Phillip...I've been thinking a lot about a betrothal for Max."

"As have I," Phillip replied, "I was considering talking to Lord Gregory Fields about his daughter, Emily, but when I was in Bath I ran into Jeffrey Parker's solicitor. He told me what kind of dowry Elizabeth would have, and Emily Fields dowry paled in comparison."

"Has Lord Parker taken any offers for a betrothal?" Diane asked, feeling hope rise within her. At the shake of her husband's head, she grinned brightly, "Excellent!"

"If we leave after breakfast we can make it there by lunch, and back by dinner," Phillip stated, pushing the paper away, "I'll send a note to Johnson's and tell him to meet us at the Parker's." Henry Johnson had been the Evans' solicitor since he had taken over the business from his father. For years Henry had dealt with the marriages and wills of the Evans family and Phillip felt he could trust him with his life.

As she watched her husband walk away, Diane took a small sip of her tea. If her sons were anything like their father, they would grow up to be hellish rakes. Settling one of them down would at least be a comfort to her. The less scandal in their family, the better. Yes, and Elizabeth Parker was the ticket to less scandal. That, she was certain of.

Lord Jeffrey Parker stood back and watched as his wife rocked their daughter to sleep. She felt his gaze and looked up, smiling, "She's beautiful, isn't she?"

"Exactly like her mother," Jeff replied, coming closer to the chair. Nancy smirked, "Now, you're just trying to compliment me. She has all of your features."

"I would hope not! The doctor said she was a girl," Jeff joked.

Nancy swatted him with the back of her hand, "You know what I mean. She has your hair, and eyes."

"But she has your lips," Jeff countered, stroking his wife's cheek.

Smiling Nancy put her hand on top of his, "She's healthy. That's all that matters."

"Soon, she'll be betrothed," Jeff, stated. He rubbed his eyes; "I've received numerous notes requesting a meeting to set up a betrothal for Elizabeth."

Nancy nodded, "Any one of interest?"

"Plenty, but I heard a tip from my solicitor that Phillip is interested," Jeff replied.

"Phillip Evans? The Marquis of Calverton?" Nancy asked. Jeff nodded. The Evans and Parkers were friends, Nancy and Diane had gone to school together, and had their coming out ball together, but over the years the two women hadn’t remained as close as they used to be. Looking down at her daughter, Nancy could think of no better match for her than with an Evans. Sighing, Nancy hugged Elizabeth to her, "I thought he was still in Bath."

"He is. Which is why I haven't replied to the other notes. If he doesn't send one by the end of the week I'll know he's lost interest."

"With our daughter? Never," Nancy stated with a slight tease in her voice, keeping up her positive attitude. She stood and placed Elizabeth in her cradle, and joined her husband at the door. He gave her his arm and led her down the stairs towards the sitting room. Picking up her sewing, Nancy sat on the couch while Jeff waited for Miles Anderson, his solicitor, to arrive and discuss marriage betrothals. He heard a carriage arrive and stood, grinning at his wife, "I'll meet him in the study," he stated.

Nancy nodded and watched him leave the room. Sighing she got back to her sewing and heard Joseph, their butler, announce the presence of the Marquis and Marchioness of Calverton. Stunned, Nancy stood and greeted them. She curtseyed to Phillip as he bowed to her, before turning and exchanging curtsies with Diane. She grinned, "This is a surprise. How pleasant of you to come."

"We came to pay our respects to you and Jeff,” Diane gushed, dropping all formalities, “How delighted you must be at the birth of Elizabeth!"

"I would bring her down for you to see, but I only just got her to sleep," Nancy explained. She sat down on the sofa and nodded towards the tea tray Joseph had just brought it, "Would you care for some tea?"

Phillip declined, "I was wondering where Jeff was. Is he in?"

Smiling, Nancy indicated for Joseph to show Phillip where Jeff was, "He's in his study."

Nodding, Phillip bowed once more before leaving the room. Quickly, Diane sat beside Nancy and grabbed her hand in excitement, "Has Jeff talked to you about the thought of a betrothal between Maxwell and Elizabeth?"

Nancy nodded, "We had only just spoken of it before you arrived."

"Good. You do think he'll agree to the betrothal, don't you?" Diane asked.

"Surely. He was counting on it to happen before the end of the week. He hasn't even replied to any of the other notes of betrothal," Nancy replied. She smiled at Diane, "I have a feeling everything is going to work out just the way we want it to."

Diane smiled back at Nancy before going for a cup of tea.

By the way guys, I'm sorry it's short. I have a few more parts written, but I wanted to see if people liked this and were actually interested. So, let me know.

-Erin
Last edited by A Rose Is True Blue on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:06 am, edited 15 times in total.
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Lindz: You know what sucks? LOL, the only times you get online is like... 11 ish to early morning for me. LOL. But, get your slacker ass back to writing (haha, not that I can talk because this is the only fic I've updated). *hugs* Thanks for being my beta ish. LOL. I seriously appreciate all of your feedback!

dream on: Judith McNaught? I've never read her. I'll definitely have to check her books out though! LOL, and I've never been called kiddo before. Haha, it was kind of cool. :-) Thanks for reading this and giving it feedback!!!

Sabby: Thanks for actually reading this fic, even thought I wasn't all subtle about it. LOL. I was like "I posted a new fic. *COUGH* Read it!!! *COUGH*" LOL. And I'm glad that you like it! Especially how they talk. Some times I have a hard time with that. Thanks for your feedback! *hug*

Elena:
JBehrsGurl wrote:Whats with the mommies and their tea huh?
LOL! That was so funny!!! I always get funny little comments from you, and it always makes me all happy when I read your feedback.

Eve: You don't really like these fics? And mine appealed to you? *faints* LOL. Wow. Thanks! That's so awesome. Thanks so much for saying that!!!

Lynn: I know! I love historical pieces. I only remember reading them from Mia Nora, and you though. *sigh* Aren't they fun? LOL. And thanks for the vote of confidence about my writing. I hope this update is soon enough. LOL, *hug* thanks for the feedback!

Katia: Your feedback rhymed. LOL. I loved it. Thanks so much for feedbacking!!!

Isis: Ooo... another period pic lover! Whoo! *high five* We could start a fanlisting. LOL. Thanks for your feedback! It was great!

starlady: I agree, Diane's assessment was a little naive, but I can't blame her because what mother back in the 1800's wanted scandal? Especially when she'd gone through it herself with her husband. Hehe, I'm not saying anything else. Thanks for your feedback!!! You noticed the Diane comment, before anyone else!

Stephanie: Oo.... I like that! You'rea already stuck! YES! My job here is done! Haha, no, I'm kidding. Thanks for the feedback! :-) And, how did you come up with your screen name?

All right guys, I felt sort of bad with just leaving you with the Prologue... I should have at least posted Chapter One... and that's what I'm here to do! LOL, let me know what you think. I was going to wait and post it for awhile, (you know that theory where if you keep something away for awhile, when you do get it's twice as good?) well yea, screw that! LOL. Here's Chapter One... I'm glutton for punishment. LOL, I know! :oops:

Chapter 1
Seventeen Years Later
1818, London

Pulling her cloak tighter around her, Lady Elizabeth Anne Parker looked around Hyde Park cautiously. It was early in the morning, a few hours before anyone would be up, going about the usual routines of the day. She looked back towards the carriage approaching and grinned when her cousin, Lady Maria Sophie DeLuca raced out to meet her in an unladylike fashion.

"My mother almost caught sight of me!" Maria laughed, taking the reins of one horse out of her cousin's hands. She put one foot in the stirrup and then swung a leg over to the other side, riding like a man. Had anyone else been there it would have been quite a scandal, especially with the riding pants that Elizabeth and Maria wore.

Sighing, Elizabeth followed suit and was soon at the same height of Maria. Turning, Maria waved off Thomas, her guard, and turned back to face her cousin, "I'm guessing you would like me to die of curiosity, like the cat, my dear Liz?"

Liz flashed her a grin and shook her head, laughing. Her brown tresses shook as she laughed and the sun flashed upon it. She sighed, "No. I wanted to talk to you, is all."

"Causing a scandal by sneaking out, and wandering the park unsupervised was the best way to talk to me?" Maria teased. Her emerald green eyes flashed, and she smirked. Her golden blonde hair had been placed up quickly as she had rushed from the house.

Liz bit her lip, "My coming out was last night."

"I know, cousin, I was there," Maria reminded her, "you were a hit, just like I said you would be."

"Did you notice that my betrothed wasn't there?" Liz asked, hope evident in the sound of her voice.

"You've never seen the man, how could you know he wasn't there?" Maria replied with a bit of sarcasm.

Liz snorted, "He would have been introduced to me the second he walked into the house had he been there, knowing my mother and his own." She shrugged, "Maybe he has lost interest and persuaded his parents to call off the betrothal."

"I think you've been dreaming far too much, Liz," Maria replied, "he was sailing with one of his brothers. Mother heard it from Diane Evans, herself."

"Drat. How shall I ever get out of this betrothal mess?"

"Easily," Maria stated, quickly gaining her cousin's attention, "You can't."

"Thank you, Maria," Liz replied cynically, her face darkening, "You've given me much hope." She urged her horse on faster.

Sighing, Maria pressed her horse to catch up with Liz. When she did she grabbed her cousin's arm, "Look, this is the way I see it; betrothals can't be broken off unless the betrothed is dead, or already married, and he'll be disowned. Now, since he's not been disowned or previously married, that's out of the question. Unless you're willing to actually take a person's life?"

"Of course not, Maria!" Liz groaned, yanking her arm away and throwing her face in her hands, "I just feel so...caged."

Rubbing her back, Maria murmured comforting sounds. After a while Liz sat up and saw Maria's grinning face, "What?" she asked.

"I heard he looks like a God!" Maria stated, causing a laugh out of Liz.

"But does he have a heart of gold?" Liz asked.

"He's got pockets full of it." Maria replied, "If it doesn't work out, you could always take on a lover."

With that, she sped away form her cousin, leaving her looking after in shock. Liz shook her head and raced after Maria.

50 miles off the coast of London
On the ship called Belle Notte

He ran a hand through his dark hair and sighed, leaning against the railing, and over looking the deck. He felt someone come up next to him and he nodded to his brother.

"Thinking, dear boy?"

"Dear boy?" Lord Maxwell Phillip Evans turned and cast a glaring look upon his brother, "I'm two years older than you, lad."

Laughing, Lord Michael Henry Evans, clapped his brother on the back, "I won't tell anyone I act older than you if you don't tell the younger ones about our trip to Venice."

The younger ones were Alex and Kyle, fraternal twins, both two years younger than them, and their sister Courtney, who was the baby of the family and already married off to a Duke.

"Michael, all of London knows we went to Venice," Max replied.

"I don't mean us going...I meant what was going on while we were there...the wenches, the-" Max rolled his eyes at his brother and looked away again as Michael rambled on.

"They aren't that much younger than us, Michael," Max reminded him with a grin.

With a shrug, Michael leaned over the railing and looked admiringly at his boat. He then remembered why he had come over to his brother in the first place, "You do know the date, don't you?"

"Of course, why?"

"You know why. Your betrothed's coming out was last night, wasn't it? Mother will be furious with you for missing it," Michael stated.

"I'm marrying the girl, Michael, I'll have to see her everyday for the rest of my life. Missing one night won't kill me."

"Aren't we cynical today?" Michael laughed sarcastically, "If I ever become as cynically depressed as you, do me a favor and join me in the ring at Knighton's Hall. If you don't beat me to death, then shoot me please, and put me out of my misery." Knighton's Hall was a boxing hall in London where Michael, Max, Alex, and Kyle often went when they had the chance to.

"I think you and I do need to have a visit to Knighton's. You've been getting too smart mouthed for my taste, you ass," Max replied, hating Michael for the fact that he wasn't tied into a marriage.

"Think about it this way, Maximillion. You don't have to woo her, she's already yours. You don't have to ask, she's already yours. And, she'll be waiting for you every night, keeping your bed warm. It's not that bad of a deal."

"Oh yea?" Max asked, "Then why aren't you betrothed?"

"That's simple. I'm far too attractive. Mother knows the women will flock to me like bees do to honey, and I'm too kindhearted to turn any of them away. Along with the fact that there's just too many women to choose only one." With that, Michael winked and walked away, leaving his brother with his thoughts.

Liz sighed and looked at her appearance in the mirror. Abigail, her personal maid, had curled her hair and pulled it up on her head, twirling it around into the elegant new style in the ton. Tiny rubies were placed in her hair, and matched her ruby earrings, necklace, and bracelet. All had been a gift from her father on the day of her seventeenth birthday, claiming it just "seemed right" when he bought them. Fingering them, she knew it was really the fact that they would be the last birthday presents he ever bought his daughter, and presented them to her in their own house. In a few weeks she would be married to a man she had never seen, and didn't love.

Her dress was a dark red, make out of silk, sent in from Japan. It was an off the shoulder dress that fit tight all the way down to her abdomen, before flaring out and going down to the floor. Liz put her slippers on while she made her way to the door, and grabbed her shawl and purse off of her bed. She met her mother in the hall and they both hurried towards the coach downstairs. They were already late.

"Elizabeth, I want you to remember that if Max approaches you to-" Liz cut Nancy off.

"I know, Mother. If my betrothed approaches me I'll be courteous."

Nancy sighed at the look of boredom on her daughter's face, "Why are you not excited?"

"I just..." Shaking her head, Liz looked away, "Forget it, Mother. Of course I'm excited."

Nancy shot her husband a look, but he only shrugged in reply. When the coach became silent once more Nancy turned to her daughter again, "How is Maria?"

"She's fine. I asked her over for breakfast tomorrow. We wanted to go to the theater later on. Is that all right?"

"Of course, fine," Jeff assured her. "Just be sure to be back in time for the ball at the Evans."

Liz already hated the idea of going to the ball. She'd have to talk to Maria about covering for her. She was planning on being sick the next afternoon when she arrived home. Maria could easily blame it on whatever she had eaten and such. If she didn't have to see Maxwell Evans until the day of their wedding, she could live with that.

They arrived at the house of the Valenti's who always threw a masquerade ball at the beginning and end of the season. Since the season had only begun, there had been no theme to the ball. Hopefully, Max wouldn't be at the masquerade tonight or wouldn't see her with her mask-

"Damn!" Liz mumbled. She sighed and looked at Nancy, "I seemed to have forgotten my mask, I'll just go back and-" She stopped when she saw her mother holding up a sequined mask with shades of red all across it. Liz attempted to smile brightly as she took her mask and followed her parents through the door. Immediately she spotted Maria and made her way towards her, ignoring the fact that her mother had wanted to have her announced.

Maria grinned and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from the people around them, "I have some good news for you, and some bad news for you."

"Give me the good news," Liz replied.

"Max hasn't come," Maria replied. Seeing the way Liz's face lit up she quickly added, "But he doesn't usually have himself announced."

"Bloody hell."

"My thinking, exactly," Maria sympathized.

Liz searched the crowd for her parents, hoping that Max would be talking to them, she'd see his face, and could avoid him for the rest of the night. After a few moments of no success Liz turned back to her friend, "What am I going to do?"

She looked at Maria's face after not getting an answer, and spun to see who she was staring at. Liz automatically took a step back at how close the man was. He gave her a grin and leaned back a little, the light catching on his amber eyes. After a moment of looking at her he held out his hand, "Allow me the first waltz?"

-Erin
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

<center>Author's Note</center>

Katia: Haha, thanks for the feedback! And, Tess *might* make an appearance in the fic, but no worries, she won't get between Max and Liz. This is the first fic in my series [The Evans], and there will be three other fics [Number 2: Michael/Maria. Number 3: Alex/Isabel. Number 4: Kyle/Tess.], and all of the guys are brothers. :-D LOL, I just hope people enjoy this fic enough to read the other fics, despite couples. You know??

Lindz: Heya! *hugs* Thanks for being my beta, and actually liking this fic. That really rocks!! Love you!!!

Caelan: Thanks for the feedback!!! :-)

roswellluver: Thanks for reading this!

sunrise102: Lisa Kleypas? I've never read her! I'll definitely check her books out! Thanks for the feedback!!!

marteloise: You're hooked?? WHOO!!!! *does happy dance* LOL. To answer the Tess question, look at what I said to Katia...

starlady: I read tons of period fics. LOL. I'm (or was) in love with them. I sort of haven't read any lately. But, my favorite authors are Stephanie Laurens, and Johanna Lindsey. Who do you like? I think I liked them best because of how they wrote out the relationships between family members, and had series which involved members of the family so each of them had their own story. Like, The Malory's (Johanna Lindsey), and The Cynsters (Stephanie Laurens). That's how I got this idea. I was like, "Wait! What about The Evans?!? *Jaws theme*" LOL. You should definitely check out their books! And, authentic?!? You're too sweet!!!!

Lynn: *hugs* What's up?? I'm so glad you're reading this!! LOL. Yeah, I do read some Ancient Greece/Rome books. I haven't read many lately though. :-( Have you read any good ones?

BehrObsession: Thanks for your feedback! And, I'm glad you like period pieces! I had no idea there were so many people who did! LOL.

Stef: SHH!! Don't give away my secrets!! LOL!!!

Eve: I know... arranged marriages must of SUCKED! LOL, although if I got Michael, Max, Alex, or Kyle... I don't know how bad I would have complained! ;-)

Roswell'sAngel: Hmm.... *taps foot* Happy ending? Never heard of it! LOL, I'm kidding. Y'all will just have to stick around to find out!!! I love the quote in your sig by the way!

rosbuffyangelfanatl: Whoo! We all love period pieces! *high five* Thanks for the feedback!

AznGurl87: Everyone wants it to be Max who asks her to dance! I think I should make it be some old guy instead! LOL. Kidding. Go ahead, skip the Author's Note to find out. hehe. I'm just rambling anyways!

cozzzzmo: Thanks for the feedback!

dream on: Thanks for the bumping!! It kicks ass. LOL, I get all happy!!!

Jess79: I'm glad you like the way I made Max. I didn't want him to lose the "I'm sexy and irresistable" charm he had (which he never could) but I wanted him to see so... I don't know. I don't want to say hard. Just... extremely confidant? LOL. I think that fits.

Michelle17: You're about to see what happens!! :-D

Kay, enough of my babbling. Here's the part...

WHERE'D IT GO?!?!

I'm a big dork. LOL, I know. It's right there.

Chapter 2

Max stood watching the members of the ton dance around him. He had always found balls to be incredibly boring. He would rather spend the time outside with a female...or better yet in a bedroom upstairs with a female. Instead, he found himself waiting for the Parkers to arrive.

The moment he arrived at his flat he had found a note left by his mother threatening his existence if he didn't make the effort to meet his betrothed at the masquerade being held that night. Michael had found the entire situation incredibly hilarious, increasing Max's anger at his betrothed. Why could she not have been betrothed to someone else? Someone who wasn't him-

Max's thoughts were cut off as he heard the Parkers announced. He looked up at them quickly; searching for the girl he was soon to marry. Seeing that it was only Lord and Lady Parker, Max grinned and began to leave. He had done exactly as his mother had asked. He had gone to the masquerade intent on meeting his betrothed, but she had failed to come. For that alone he decided that he was grateful to her.

Stopping in his tracks Max noticed a beauty standing across the room from him. The rubies in her hair shone, and the smile on her face was intoxicating as she talked with another woman. The dress she wore showed off all the right curves, and Max was tempted not to sweep her off of her feet and out of her clothes. This one he had never seen before. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. He watched her for a few more moments, wishing she would turn her head and look at him. At that thought he saw her searching the crowd. When she turned in his direction he studied every inch of her face as he could. Her eyes reminded him of a doe's. They were the same chocolate color as her hair and Max curled his fingers at the itch to run his hands through it.

When she turned away from him again, Max made his way towards her until he was standing right behind her. He heard her ask, "What am I going to do?", and looked towards the friend. She had been watching him as he approached and now froze.

Turning to see who had distracted her friend, Max got an even better view of her face. His eyes searched hers for a moment before he slightly relaxed and offered his arm, "Allow me the first waltz?"

Liz looked at his arm and then shot her cousin a look. Maria gave Liz a look and then shrugged. Liz boldly took his arm, letting him lead her to the dance floor as the waltz began. Max pulled Liz closer to him than she had ever danced with a man.

"Tell me your name," Max commanded, a smile on his face.

"Is that a question or a command?" Liz asked, teasing him.

"Does it matter?"

At the intense look in his eyes Liz blushed and turned away, "It all depends on what you are going to do with my name."

"I'll choose to adore it for as long as the sun shines down upon London," Max replied.

Laughing, Liz shook her head, "Words of a rake. I have been warned to never give my name to a rake."

"By who?"

"A rake, of course," Liz replied with another laugh. Grinning, Max danced Liz away from the center of the ballroom and closer to the terrace.

"If I give you my name, there would be no problem in you giving me yours, now would there?"

"And who said I wanted your name?" Liz asked.

The smirk on her lips told Max that she was teasing him. He pulled her closer to him. The feel of her skin against his set Max's fingers on fire. He desired her more than he had any other woman and he intended to have her.

"Don't you?"

"I haven't decided yet," Liz replied. The rest of the dance was done in silence, neither noticing anyone else around them. When the dance ended, Liz found herself staring into his eyes intently, both of their masks allowing them little else to see besides their eyes and lips.

"Thank you for the dance,” Liz said stepping back from Max’s hold.

He reluctantly let her go; yet he put a hand on her back and began to lead her towards the terrace. At Liz’s hesitation he motioned with his hand, “Shall we stroll?”

Looking up into his eyes, Liz knew that she should decline and go back to Maria. In the back of her mind Liz scorned her betrothed once more. She longed to be one of the girls in the ton who spent time laughing over suitors and picking the husband of her choice. Before she could reply, Liz noticed Maria out of the corner of her eye. Her words came back to Liz from the morning in the park. "If it doesn't work out, you could always take on a lover."

Raising a brow Liz smiled up at the burning amber eyes, “Of course,” and moved forward away from the crowd.

Max placed her hand on him arm and led her outside. There were other couples strolling along, and as they passed the others they nodded and smiled.

“I have made up my mind,” Liz stated.

Sending her an amused look, Max raised his eyebrow.

“I wish to know your name. Have you changed your mind in deciding to give it to me?” The corners of Liz’s mouth rose up in a smile.

“That would be impossible,” Max, replied. As he was about to introduce himself he bit his tongue. It was common knowledge that Lord Maxwell Phillip Evans was the betrothed to Lady Elizabeth Anne Parker. This sprite would risk no scandal between his or Elizabeth’s family by associating herself with him, as he would have liked.

“The Viscount of Lydham; Lord Evan Carmichael at your service,” Max stated with a teasing tone. Liz grinned, “It’s a pleasure.”

“Not the only one you will be receiving, I assure you,” Max said.

Liz raised an eyebrow, and shook her head at the words of the rake. She had expected no less except a gentleman’s company. Already he intended to bed her? He didn’t even know her name. Then again, as her Uncle Martin always liked to remind her, a rake did not woo a girl because of her name. It was her physical beauty or the thrill of a challenge that drew a rake in. Liz wondered whether she was the beauty or the challenge? Maybe she was both. Evan could possibly even know who she was, and intended to be the first to enter Liz’s bed. The thing was; Liz wasn’t sure she minded.

“And do I not get the pleasure of knowing your name?” Max asked. It was then that Liz realized she had been ignoring him for the past minute.

She looked up at him, “Again I ask what you will do with my name upon learning it?”

For a few moments Max didn’t reply. When he did his words caused a shiver down her spine. “This.”

His eyes burned into hers and Liz could feel her skin heating up. She noticed his gaze traveling down the length of her body, before returning to gaze upon the low cut of her gown, up to her lips and then to her eyes. Liz was holding her breath, as he neared closer. His hands landed onto her waist and pulled her closer; closer than was allowed in society.

Liz managed a look around and realized that they had steered off of the terrace into a small lodge in the wall where no one was bound to come. She looked back at Max as his hands moved behind her and grasped her even closer. She was up against him firmly and she could feel the hardness of his body against hers.

Max lowered his face until his lips were half an inch away from hers. Then he descended upon her and his lips met hers. It was as the world had suddenly stopped. Liz felt warmth spreading through her and arched up against Max’s lips. His tongue came out to taste her, to demand entrance. Liz refused to grant the demand, which increased Max’s attack. He took a step toward her and had her against the wall. Liz wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. He brought one hand up to caress her cheek and then it moved towards her hair.

Liz pulled her lips away and regained her breath. She reminded herself of where she was, and waited for Max to step back and let her pass. When he didn’t she looked up at him and found him staring down at her lips. She licked them quickly with her tongue, but before she knew it his lips were back on hers again and she didn’t have time to close her mouth. His tongue was massaging hers, and he bit on her lower lip gently, giving it a soft tug. He released it and gave her one more smoldering look before stepping back. The look in his eyes sent a blush to Liz’s cheeks. They had turned dark with desire.

“You are far too forward, Lord Carmichael,” Liz stated.

“Am I hearing a complaint?” Max teased, watching as Liz relaxed once he gave her space. There was clearly passion between them and Max’s lust grew to have her. Tonight.

Liz made sure her hair was still in place before stepping back him, refusing to answer his question. She walked away from him and stopped when she neared the corner that would lead her back to the ballroom. She turned to look at him and as their eyes met she quickly looked down.

“Lady Beth Martin,” she replied, “That’s my name.” She tore her gaze away from him and hurried onto the path.

Max watched her go, a grin on his face. He would be seeing much more of Beth Martin, he was sure of that.
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

<center>.:Author's Notes:.</center>
I am freakishly crazy. I just updated Goonies Never Say Die (which is in the Conventional Couples Section ;-) ) which hasn't been updated in like a month...and I felt like updating this. :rolls There is something wrong with me! LOL, I like being two chapters ahead of myself and I haven't even finished Chapter 5 yet... (sorry Lindz), but I felt like giving you guys something! I think the reason is because I've never had such a positive response to a fic before, and I really enjoy writing this one... so Chapter 4 is longer though, I promise. Anyways, inidividual replies first then the part, although you can switch it around for all I care. LOL.

Eve: :-D Max, Max, Max... *sigh* Please don't hate me at the end of this chapter okay? LOL! Remember, a lot of men, especially rakes, slept around with women, and had mistresses (even when they were married) around this time. Just remember it's a Dreamer fic, and I am a Dreamer. LOL.

roswellian137: About their lies...I honestly have NO idea how long they will go on. I have *so* many different ideas floating around in my head and I plan out a different ending for each one and I'm arguing with myself on what seems best and feels right. *reads what I just wrote* Oh man...I sound completely psycho don't I? :oops

sunrise102: I'm glad you like the idea of Liz and Max giving different names. (I was surprised that so many people did). And you hit the nail on the head as to why I wrote it so that they did. I wanted to try something I had never heard of anyone writing, and this was one thing that came to mind. Max and Liz both strongly resent each other for tying the other down, and no matter what the first feelings between them were, if they found out who the other was moments after meeting they'd quickly try to each hide or get rid of what they were feeling... LOL, do I make sense??

Katia: When I read what you wrote...about reading this entire series I seriously almost started crying! LOL, that's so cool! *hug* Thanks so much!!!!

Amber: SHHH!!!!! LOL, you are giving secrets away!!! LOL! *covers Amber's mouth* Say no more. Haha. But, I will say that yeah, Liz and Max... *cough* Beth and Evan, will continue to see each other. It's going to get REALLY complicated after Chapter 4, you'll see why! Anyways, it's weird that you are replying to this, because I'm so used to bumping YOUR fics and stuff! LOL

roswelluver: Sparks definitely are flying!!! Thanks for feedbacking!!!

rosbuffyangelfanatl: Whoo! A trouble making lover! Whoop! Always good! Haha!

Michelle: You know what's always cool? When some people like a character and others dislike the same character :-D. I don't know, I just find it so awesome! Thanks for posting feedback and actually reading this! LOL

Sara: You just might see Liz tell Max his advances are a bit boring...or that he isn't the first rake to try it...and he doesn't really have one certain mistress. He has plenty of different women that he goes to and Tess isn't one of them. If she does make an appearance in this installment of the series, she and Max won't be having any smoochies or flirting. LOL! I promise. I'm still working on how Tess will play her part in the sceme of things though.

Angelic: I'm glad that you like this!!! Thanks for posting feedback!

Lindz: Thanks for beta-ing this girlie. Sorry that Chapter 5 isn't in your inbox. If it makes you feel any better, it isn't in MY inbox either :-D

starlady: Gentle Rogue was the first book of Johanna Lindsey's that I read, and I bought. LOL. I still have it, and read it occasionally. It's one of my favorites! LOL. And, about the Stephanie Laurens books...they only have like...3 of her books at my library, and any other library near me! It sucks! LOL, so if I want to read any more of the Cynster ones I have to buy them! *shrug* LOL, it's cool though! Oh, and I will check out Judy Garwood! Haha, yeah it's cool to find a kindred soul too! *high five*

Caelan: There's going to be more of everything you liked! LOL, maybe not in this chapter or Chapter 4... but possibly Chapter 5!!!! Thanks for the feedback!

BehrObsession: Well, I have to say that they unmasking of Beth and Evan to Max and Liz won't be for quite awhile. I don't want it to happen too soon, and I have to talk to Lindz and see if this one idea I really wanna do will pan out! LOL

SarahWhitman: Psh, who isn't longing for love and adventure? LOL, we're all there with ya! haha, and yeah, I was hoping people would see the plus sides of Max and Liz hiding their identity from each other...like MAYBE falling in love never knowing that they would have gotten together eventually anyways. I hope I didn't give anything away.

isis: Gah! LOL, your compliments are too nice; Take em back! ;-) LOL! Thanks for feedbacking this. Hope I don't disappoint people. LOL

Nova: Awesome! Thanks for posting feedback!!!!

Lynn: Haha, yeah, you know I figured you were going to do an Ancient Greece thing when you asked me about it! LOL. And you really think I'm doing a good job? Aw! LOL I knew I liked you! *hug*

the better twin: Thanks for your feedback! Hmm... to answer your question read what I wrote to roswellian137, Amber, BehrObsession, and Sarah Whitman. Hope that helps!!!

Nicola: It's so weird SO many people actually like this. LOL, I swear, I've never had so many people like one of my fics THIS much. And I feel bad now, because I started reading your fic, and I haven't checked for updates. Right after this (and sleep) I'm on my way. And yeah, Max is a bit naughty...lol, he'll get worse! LOL, and I wouldn't have him any other way! ;-)

Alien614: Aw! Thanks!!!! I'm glad you read this!!!

Kay, here's the part, I'll shut up now!

Chapter 3

When Liz reappeared in the ballroom she was immediately asked to dance. Noticing her cousin shooting her looks, she accepted and was swept up by the son of a friend of her father’s. Out of the corner of her eye Liz saw Evan enter. He searched the room and his eyes met hers. Something in his eyes caused Liz to look away, into the eyes of her dancing partner who was smiling down at her. When she turned back Evan was gone. She looked around the room for him but saw no sight of him.

The song ended and Liz curtseyed to her partner. She walked through the crowd of people towards Maria, standing with her hands on her hips. She cast a look around before pulling Liz from the ballroom and through the halls of the house. They entered an empty room and Maria spun around before Liz could speak.

“You caused quite a spectacle of yourself,” Maria said.

“A spectacle? Maria, what are you talking about?” Liz asked, frowning.

“You danced with that…rake…closer than propriety allows, and then you disappeared for over half an hour!” Maria stated, throwing her hands in the air.

Sighing, Liz sat in a nearby chair, “I don’t know what I was thinking.”

Maria sat across from her, leaning back in the chair with a sigh of her own, “I can imagine that you weren’t thinking.”

Looking at her cousin, Maria leaned forward, pulling a handkerchief from her reticule. She wiped the edges of Liz’s lips, “If he was to ravish you, he should have at least cleaned you up a little.”

Gasping, Liz pulled a tiny mirror out of her own reticule, “Was it so obvious?”

“No, I’m sure I was the only one who noticed,” Maria replied.

“Are you disappointed in me?” Liz asked, putting the mirror away.

Looking confused, Maria straightened, “Disappointed?”

“For letting him kiss me…” Liz said. At Maria’s raised eyebrow she added, “And for kissing him back?”

Smiling, Maria grabbed her cousin’s hands, “Who is he?”

“Other than a rake?” Liz grinned, “He’s Lord Evan Carmichael, the Viscount of Lydham.”

Searching her cousin’s eyes Maria said, “Am I correct in thinking you didn’t mind when he kissed you?”

Maria’s answer was the spreading blush on Liz’s cheeks, “When did you tell him?”

“Tell him?” Liz asked.

“That you were betrothed. Did you tell him before the kiss or after the kiss?” When Liz didn’t answer but looked away, Maria paled. “You did tell him…didn’t you?”

“You were the one suggesting that I get a lover!” Liz replied in her defense.

“I didn’t mean to make a lover of the first rake you ran into, and certainly not months before your wedding. You haven’t even met Lord Evans yet. Give him a chance before you decide to become a rake’s mistress,” Maria stated.

Liz stood up, “Maria, for the first time in my life I feel like a girl who’s future is undecided! Why shouldn’t I explore other revenues before I am to be married?”

“Because for you there are no other revenues. You are betrothed. You cannot break the betrothal you know this. You also know that I more than anyone else understand why you wish to be free to be wooed, and kissed by rakes, but you cannot do this! At least not until you are married and can be free to get a lover.”

“I want to marry the person I love Maria. How can I do that in a betrothal?” Liz asked.

“You may fall in love with Maxwell, Liz. You never know,” Maria said.

Sighing, Liz kneeled by Maria, and placed her hands upon Maria’s knees, “I will never know with Lord Carmichael either.”

Maria placed her hands on her cousins and shook her head. Lifting Liz’s hands she brought them to her lips and kissed them affectionately, “Promise me something.”

“Anything within reason,” Liz replied, “within my reason.”

“Get to know your Lord Carmichael. If he is a rake, which I have no doubt that he is, he will try to get you into his bed as soon as he can. Do not let him. Have boundaries. Do not push past your limits unless you want to,” Maria pleaded.

Liz considered the plea, and then nodded, “I promise.”

“And Liz?” Maria asked, “Keep it quiet.”

With a grin Liz stood up, “I will.”

Maria threw a piece of her hair behind her shoulder before placing her arm through Liz’s and escorting her out of the room. As they entered the ballroom Maria gasped and twirled looking at her cousin, “I almost forgot to tell you!”

“Tell me what?” Liz asked.

“Lord Maxwell Evans was here,” Maria stated. Liz paled at the words, fearing that he had seen her on the dance floor. She looked to where her parents stood, afraid that they would be angry for her missing her betrothed.

“Is he still here?” Liz asked, looking at all of the males she didn’t know curiously.

“I didn’t see him. I only heard from Grandma Claudia,” Maria said. Liz looked towards the back of the room where most of the older ladies and men sat and talked. Sure enough Claudia Parker was seating, her cane by her side. Liz had not known that her grandmother was going to be making an appearance tonight. Usually, Claudia avoided masquerades.

“Shall we?” Liz nodded to where Claudia sat and the two made their way towards her.

Max made his way towards the house of one of the ladies he often spent nights with. After seeing Beth dancing with the man he had headed out of the ballroom and straight here to his townhouse, where he immediately called on Viscountess of Wilden, Lady Vanessa Whittaker. She had been unhappily married for over six years and Max only called on her when he felt in the mood. Knowing that her husband was at a club Max often went to, he sent a message to Vanessa telling her to make excuses for her absence that night and to come to his townhouse. He knew she would come, she always did.

Max lit a fire in the fireplace to warm up the room. He had drinks nearby, and as he poured himself a glass the red liquid reminded him of Beth’s dress. Sighing, he downed the drink and poured another. Before he was done with the third glass there was a knock on the door. With a smile he opened the door for Vanessa.

-Erin
And guys, I didn't put in the sex scene between them just for you!!!! ;-) Kidding, I didn't write any sex scene! *throws up* GROSS! Whittaker and Max?? Psh! I'll include Max and Liz sex scenes though!!! ;-) haha. LOL
Last edited by A Rose Is True Blue on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Xsara: Thanks for the feedback! Maria is only concrned about propriety so far for Liz's sake. She'll be more of the Maria we love soon!

Katia: Max isn't so much of a bastard...he's just a rake. :-D LOL. Thanks for the feedback! Oh, and I went to your site, Realm of True Love... awesome!

Steph: I changed the last part! LOL. Your review actually helped me. I had been wondering whether or not to have Liz think of Max as Evan and Max think of Liz as Beth throughout the fic until they figure out who the other is. And I didn't want to confuse people so I just thought to leave it as Max and Liz. Anyways, thanks for always leaving feedback to this fic, I always love reading it! :-D

roswellluver: Thanks for reading!!!!

Eve: Liz is going to do her best with Max...er Evan. ;-) Thanks for the feedback!

Michelle17: Thanks for the feedback!

sunrise102: It will humble Max whether he falls for her before or after she falls for him ;-)!

Chica616: You read Goonies??? YAY! LOL. I always get happy hearing that. And you liked the part?? Whoop whoop! LOL, anyways, thanks for the feedback. And Tess won't be a problem for Liz and Max! So no worries.

Sarah Whitman: Thanks for the feedback! And I've decided to call Liz 'Beth' when Max thinks of her and Max 'Evan' when Liz thinks about him!

Meredith G: It is Vanessa at the door. :-( Sorry. LOL, but at least I didn't write a nookie scene between them. That would have been bad, right?

Ash_maxliz: I'm glad that you posted feedback! I'm even more happy that you've been reading this! :-D

BehrObsession:
BehrObsession wrote:Great part. What is it with men anyway? Max meets Liz and succumbs to her charms. He can't have her, so he goes off to hump the first easy woman he can think of. Hmmfff! I hope that 'Evan' keeps thinking of 'Beth' and can't get it up for Vanessa. Post more soon.
HAHAHA! LOL, that had me laughing!!! Thanks for the feedback!

Raychell75: Isabel and the others will definitely be in this fic. They won't have big major parts yet, but you'll see a lot of the other characters in Chapter 5! Isabel, Maria, and Tess will each have a fic based on them. I'm glad that you made an exception of reading period fics! LOL, it's a good idea!

Alien614: Yup, Max and Vanessa. It is completely sad. Yup. Don't worry, it won't last. She's not Liz. :-)

tiredmuse: Haha, I haven't really planned it out yet, but I know Liz will meet Michael before Maria meets him, and that will be interesting.

starlady: Psh, lol, if you aren't visiting the board as much I can send you parts if you're that interested. LOL.

Caelan: LOL. Oh man, haha, raise your hand if you want Max/Liz nookie.

Isis: *faints* You love this story? Guess what? LOL, I love your feedback!

cherie: You called my story a gem! No one's ever called a fic of mine a gem! LOL, yes, I freak out about the little things. :-D Thanks for the feedback! Oh, and I love the quote in your sig. So true.

<center>Kay all, here's the 5th part, 4th Chapter!!!!</center>

Chapter 4

Lying in bed that night, Liz couldn’t get to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, he was there. Why Lord Evan Carmichael was so special, Liz had no idea. She only knew that she wished that she were still at the masquerade, still on the terrace, and still in the company of Lord Carmichael.

Shaking her head, Liz sat up and moved from the bed and towards the chair by the window. From there she looked down at the street. Being that it was so early in the morning, there was hardly anyone on the streets. Liz caught a glimpse of a carriage of one of the ton, but dismissed it as someone arriving late from a party. Sighing, she kept watching the street, and eventually her eyelids drooped and she fell asleep.

<center>***</center>

"What will my excuse be?" Liz asked of her cousin, while the both of them walked through Hyde Park. Maria had arrived at Liz’s house earlier for breakfast and then the two of them had stopped at the park before they were going to head over to the theater.

"Excuse?" Maria asked, raising an eyebrow.

"For missing the ball tonight…at the Evans," Liz replied.

Maria froze beside her, "Surely you are joking?"

"Of course not," Liz said, "I was hoping you would help me come up with an excuse as to why I should miss it."

"You can’t miss it. You have to meet Maxwell," Maria looked at Liz as if she were truly insane.

"I’d rather not," Liz said icily.

"So when will you meet him? The day of your wedding?" Maria asked sarcastically. When she saw the look in her cousin’s eyes she groaned, "I was joking."

"Maria, please. I thought you understood," Liz said.

"I thought I did too," Maria replied. She sighed and grabbed a hold of Liz’s shoulders, "Liz, I love you, and I see why you are interested in Lord Carmichael… he certainly isn’t the worst person I’ve seen, and I saw the way you two were dancing last night… but he is not your future. Do you understand that?"

With all of her heart Liz wished she did. And she thought that she had up until she had met Evan last night. Everything she had thought was impossible, everything she wished she could do but couldn’t because of her arranged marriage… everything she’d ever wanted now seemed within her grasp for the first time. And she wasn’t about to unclench the fist that held all of her dreams. She was going to try to get out of her marriage if it was the last thing she did. And she was going to find out what Evan Carmichael saw in her, and maybe… just maybe… he wanted the same thing she did. If not, then she’d have a little fun before she was forced into marriage.

"Liz?"

Liz looked up at her cousin’s concerned glance, "Maria… if you do me this one favor tonight, I promise you I will owe you forever-"

"Liz, no," Maria stated firmly.

"Maria, just hear me out-"

"No!" Maria threw her hands up in the air, "This is ridiculous! I should have never told you to take on a lover. This is what started everything…"

"Maria," Liz snapped, shutting her cousin up, "Just help me, okay? I just… I want to see Evan again, that’s all. Please, cover for me. Please. I have been there for you when you needed me, and now I’m asking you to return the favor. Please."

Maria sighed. The look in her cousin’s eyes was breaking Maria’s heart. For as long as she could remember, she had tried her hardest to never flirt with men of the ton in front of Liz because Liz had never been able to truly do it herself. Now Liz had a chance. Besides, what was the harm in giving Liz one night? She may be a virgin, but her cousin was no debutante fool. Liz knew what went on behind closed doors, especially if one of the members was a rake. Just in case, Maria would check up on her.

"Just tonight, Liz," Maria replied, "Just tonight."

"Thank you!" Liz lunged at her friend, not at all ladylike. She left out a wild left and hugged her cousin tighter, "Thank you, so much!"

"I have no doubts that I will regret this later," Maria teased. "Now, come on, we have to go get you extremely sick some how."

"Why do I have a feeling you will enjoy every moment of this?" Liz joked.

<center>***</center>

"Thank you for bringing her home so quickly, Maria," Jeff said.

Maria smiled, "It’s all right Uncle Jeff. Nicholas promised to take me to the theater anyways." Nicholas was the oldest of Maria’s brothers, and also the most protective of her. Her father, Martin DeLuca owned a shipping business in which all of her brothers owned a ship and participated. Maria and Liz had both received a ship of their own, but weren’t allowed to ship out unless one of Maria’s brothers were with them, or unless their husbands were. The latter wouldn’t happen for quite some time as far as Maria was concerned, at least in her case. Unfortunately, Liz’s case was completely different.

"When is Nicholas coming to town?" Jeff asked.

"I’m not sure. From what his letters have said, any time from a few days to a week or two. Either way, Mother acts like he’s seconds from walking through the door, and has his room cleaned every day. You know how she is," Maria replied, with a roll of her eyes.

Jeff laughed. He did know how Amy was. He had spent over eighteen years watching out for her, and keeping all men away from her when Martin DeLuca, his best friend, proposed marriage. Surprise was an understatement of how he had felt at the time. Although he was even more surprised when Amy accepted.

"I know, Maria Sophie, I know."

Maria grinned. He was the only one who called her Maria Sophie. She coughed really loudly, a signal to Abigail in the hallway to deliver Maria’s message to Liz, that things were in the clear.

"So, tell me how the rest of your brothers are. How are they faring?" Jeff asked.

"As well as any rake fares. You and Father really set bad examples for them," Maria said with a frown.

"Come now, they aren’t as bad as we were," Jeff laughed.

"No, they’re worse. Believe me. I’ve had the fortune of walking in their bedrooms at the most inappropriate times. Which is, of course, why Father gave me my own wing. The nights are more quiet, trust me."

"We set the bar too high for all of them to cross at their age! I must be older than I thought," Jeff joked.

Nancy laughed, "You aren’t so old."

"Yes, he is," a voice said from the doorway.

Maria smiled, "Hello Mother, Father."

"Amy!" Jeff stood up and moved towards his sister for a hug, "Obviously Martin is lacking in his duties of taking care of you." He moved towards his oldest and best friend. The two hugged and slapped each other’s backs, "Martin, old man, you were supposed to teach her what she is and isn’t supposed to say to injure a man’s pride."

"He did," Amy replied, "you’re my brother though, so you don’t count."

"Strange how that only applies to you and Uncle Jeff and never me and Nicholas, Grant, Pierce, Brody, or Sean," Maria told her mother.

"Oh hush. When you’re married and have children of your own you’ll understand my rules," Amy laughed, sitting on the couch next to Nancy.

"Where’s Lizzie?" Martin asked.

"Resting," Nancy replied, "She became dehydrated when she and Maria went out."

"It wasn’t my fault," Maria replied instantly once her mother turned to look at her.

"Of course not, dear," Amy said. Maria sighed, "You’re impossible."

"And you will never be married at the rate of annoyance your attitude is building up to. Not that it’s a problem with me, you can live at my house until the day you die if you’d like."

"I’d rather be a nun," Maria mumbled.

"That’s my girl. Staying away from the rakes of the ton," Martin stated, grinning at his youngest.

"Well that’s rich. Of course I’m staying away from the rakes of the ton. I’m either their sister, or they’re all out of town," Maria said, "and how is it that my brothers can flirt with whomever they like but if I so much as dance with a gentleman too closely he ends up bruised at Knighton’s Hall the next day?"

"They’re just protective of you, you know that," Amy said, "and I thought you and Liz were used to that by now. It’s been that way since you had your coming out last year."

"How can you get used to overbearing brothers? Or in Liz’s case overbearing cousins?" Maria asked. "Uncle Jeff, were you extremely protective of Mother?"

Amy snorted, "Was he ever. At least you get to dance with gentlemen. And he always wondered how I fell for Martin! He was the only male I was allowed to talk to."

"So if you had been able to talk to other men you wouldn’t have fallen for me?" Martin asked.

Maria groaned. Her parents always did this. This was how they flirted. God, she had to get out of here, "I’ll go check on Liz."

"Oh! Right, why we’re here," Amy said, motioning for her daughter to sit back down. She looked over at Jeff, "You know how last minute Mother is. She sent out invitations for a house party beginning Monday and ending in two weeks."

Jeff closed his eyes and groaned, "She always does this. Who did she invite?"

"All of us naturally, along with the Valentis, the Hardings, the Troys, the Evans‘, the Banks‘, and the Andersons. All of the usual guests," Amy replied.

"We won’t be able to stay the entire two weeks," Nancy replied. "The Evans won’t be able to either. We’ve already arranged to make plans for Max and Liz’s wedding around the time of the second week. We didn’t plan on having the discussion at a house party."

Maria bit her lip, "Well, maybe the house party is a good idea. It’ll give Max and Liz a chance to get to know each other. And Grandma Claudia will look after Liz, as will I."

"And the boys as well," Amy added.

"ALL of them?" Maria asked, swiveling around to stare at her mother.

Amy grinned, "All of my babies are coming home."

"Great," Maria said, not enthusiastic in the least.

"Should we ride in the carriage together? We can meet here, early in the morning," Martin suggested.

"All right," Jeff agreed, "Liz won’t be going to the Evans tonight then. I’d rather she rest if she isn’t feeling well."

"I’ll tell Liz," Maria stated. She quickly left the room. Man, Liz was going to die!

<center>***</center>

Liz stopped pacing as soon as Maria stepped through the doorway. "How’d it go?"

Maria grinned, "You don’t have to go to the ball tonight."

Liz froze, "Really?" A smile spread across her face, "You are the best! I won’t forget this, Maria, I promise-"

"There’s more," Maria said quickly. She began to twist the sides of her dress, "We’re all leaving London in the early morning to go to Parker Hall for a two week house party."

Liz stood still staring at her, the smile frozen on her face.

"So, I did what I told you I would. I helped you get out of going to the ball. Unfortunately you’re going to have to spend two weeks with Max Evans whether you fake sickness or not," Maria stated.

-Erin
Sorry if it took so long guys!
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

<center>Author's Notes</center>

roswellluver: Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm working on making Maria still be Maria yet sort of like a mentor ish for Liz.

~VooDoo~: I love historical romances too!!! :-D I just hope this one isn't <i>so</i> bad. LOL. Thanks for the feedback, and I should make Xsara cookies or something....lol she's bringing me 'customers'.

Xsara: Hey! LOL, you're bringing in readers! Wow, lol, thanks. I didn't know you liked this enough to tell others to read it. Anyways, thanks for the feedback and for being interested in this.

Eve: Thanks for the feedback! Liz definitely won't be running anywhere. LOL. And when she does meet up with Max...yes, it will be interesting. :-)

cherie: The two week house party will start in Chapter 6. I'm so excited with your feedback!! LOL, that you love my characters, and that you still think this is a gem. Whoop! LOL. Thanks for the feedback, it's a real booster!

Caelan: Hahaha! Yeah, I am going to have some dreamer loving in Chapter 6. And technically Max gets to spend two weeks with Liz in Liz's grandma's house. LOL, that's always fun too. Plus, both of their parents will leave a week early so it's a week with no parents. Thanks for the feedback!

BehrObsession: Well the unveiling of Beth and Evan won't happen <i>so</i> quickly...I'm going to try to draw it out for awhile. LOL. Thanks for the feedback!

Katia: I'd love to have my fics on your site! :-D So are you liking the parents so far? I'm trying to involve them as much as I can and find out if it's working really well. What do you think? Thanks for the feedback!

Jess79: Glad you loved it! Thanks for the feedback!!

Steph: I was wondering where you were! :-D I hadn't seen you around. How've you been? (Thanks for sticking around!!!)

Michelle17: I don't want to leave either!! LOL, but I'm glad you don't want me to either. Thanks so much for the feedback!!!

Here's the part. :-)

Chapter 5

The road grew even and Liz was grateful that the bouncing had stopped. For over two hours it had given her a headache, although she seemed to be the only one not enjoying the ride. Martin and Jeff were riding outside along with the carriage. Amy, Nancy, and Maria had fallen asleep against each other an hour back, and Liz was the only one currently awake.

Lord Maxwell Phillip Evans. Liz sighed. When she was ten she had first learned about her betrothal, her engagement. She and Maria had walked in on Lady Diane Evans and Nancy talking about it. Later, after Diane had left, Nancy had told Liz all about Max. What he looked like, what kind of man he was…he was six years older than her after all, what he was like around his brothers, what school he went to. For Liz, a girl of ten who had dreams of falling in love, it was perfect. She had been excited, and couldn’t wait to meet Max. Maybe it was wrong that she had envisioned him as perfect, that she had seen him as the man of her dreams.

She had waited for him to come and meet her, to introduce himself, to get to know her. She waited for weeks, then months, then years. When she had turned fourteen she had finally realized he wouldn’t be coming to form a friendship with her. After talking with a few of the stable boys she and Maria were friends with, she finally realized what she was to Max Evans. She was nothing more than a burden, someone weighing him down. While she had fantasies of a love that would last a lifetime, he had dreams of other women, of a life he could never have. So Liz had tried to give it to him. The Evans’ pushed her to spend weeks with them on vacations; she declined. Her parents would invite them over for dinner, or a ball; Liz would make sure she had plans made ahead of time. She had hoped her parents, or his would get the message. Neither was interested in the other.

Liz had never counted on Max becoming a burden to her. She and Maria had spent years wishing they could attend balls and parties. Most of the other court ladies had waited until they were eighteen to have a coming out in the ton. Maria, had her coming out ball when she was seventeen, and Liz had been allowed to attend it. Of course, Maria’s next ball, her first official ball, she couldn’t go to without Liz, so Liz had been allowed to attend that one as well. And the one after. And the one after that. And, of course, the one after that as well. Soon, Liz received invitations to balls and parties as well. At every ball, and at every party Liz and Maria drew groups of men. Maria flirted openly, as did Liz, until she was called on it by her mother. She couldn’t lead men on, her mother had said, she was already promised to someone. And with time, Liz grew a resentment for Max Evans. She soon hated their betrothal and loathed him. Whether it was because he had ruined the fun of the ton engagements, or whether he had never even bothered to see her, Liz didn’t know. She just knew that if and when they did meet, she’d honestly tell him what she thought about their betrothal and him.

“Daydreaming, Lizzie?”

Liz jumped up, “Uncle Martin, you scared me.” Maria had the same features as her father. His golden blonde hair, his bright green eyes, his full lips, his smile, and his sense of humor. Liz could tell why Amy had fallen for him, and she couldn’t blame her at all. He was handsome, and he and Amy were perfect for each other.

“Puss, I’ve been sitting next to this window for over ten minutes,” Martin laughed, “and I have to say I’m more curious than a cat to know what kept you from noticing me.”

Liz grinned, “Just thinking about Lord Evans.”

“Call him Max, puss, or I’ll start thinking you’re talking about Phillip,” Martin groaned, “now what about your betrothed? Still thinking of ways to break it off are you?”

With an innocent look on her face Liz looked over at her Uncle, “When I said Lord Evans, I meant Lord Evans…Phillip. I must admit the reason I am most unwillingly to marry Max is…well, I’m in love with his father.” As if she was embarrassed she swung her head to the side, “I can’t stop thinking of him to be truthful.”

Silence. She looked at her uncle and noticed him sitting with a shocked expression on his face.

“Look, Lizzie,” Martin started uncomfortably, “maybe I should wake your mother up-”

With a dramatic sigh Liz placed both her arms on the windowsill and rested against them, “I was jesting, Uncle Martin. Yes, I’m still thinking of ways to break the betrothal.”

“I ought to put you over my knee for giving me a scare like that puss! I honestly thought you were in love with Phillip.”

“He’s married,” Liz replied with a scrunch of her nose, “and he’s old. Like Daddy…and you.”

“I really ought to put you over my knee now. See if I help you with your plans now, Lizzie,” Martin threatened, pulling his horse back and slowing his pace.

“No! Uncle Martin, please, I could use any suggestions you have, and well…I do have something else I could use your advice on,” Liz said.

“Not until you say you’re sorry,” Martin replied, a foolish grin on her face.

“I’m sorry Uncle Martin, you aren’t old. In fact, you are one of the most handsome men in the ton and any women would be clawing for your attention if you didn’t love Aunt Amy so much and if they knew she wouldn’t spill wine on their dress the moment they approached you.”

“And now I need to hear my apology, love, for I’m crushed,” Amy joked, having woken up. She pushed Liz towards the window, “Go and ride that wild horse for the rest of the journey.”

“Look what you made me do Uncle, you made Aunt Amy mad at me,” Liz teased. Martin shot her a wink and then called for the carriage to stop. Jeff rode up with Monty, Liz’s prize stallion. Jeff’s own horse, Gingold, was the father of Monty and Letty, Maria’s horse. Both the girls had been around since Monty and Letty were born and they had been nothing but trouble to Jeff until they were promised them. Amy had been wary of the choice of horse for the two girls but had been reassured when she saw how both stallions were around Liz and Maria.

“All right Liz?” Jeff asked once she was sitting side saddle on Monty. She nodded, but longed to race him the rest of the way to Parker House. She knew that was impossible though, for she wasn’t in her riding habit and Monty’s other saddle was with the rest of the luggage.

The carriage began to move once again and Jeff moved towards the carriage window, talking to Amy.

“Well puss?” Martin asked from beside her.

Liz looked at him and grinned, “I’m open to all suggestions, Uncle Martin.”

“First tell me what you don’t like about the lad.”

Liz sighed, “I honestly wish I could, but I’ve never met him.”

“Do you want to?”

“Not as long as we are betrothed to each other…it’s just so frustrating Uncle Martin! I want…to be in love. I want to have fun. I want to choose my husband. And I want him to be interested in me. Max has known about our betrothal since he was nine. Nine! Granted, I was three at the time, but he’s had fifteen years to get to know me so we could both decide whether or not we’d get along with other, if we could love each other, or if we were in love with each other,” Liz blushed and played with Monty’s reins, “I know I’m coming off like a foolish girl but, it’s what I want.”

“You’ll have an excellent opportunity to get to know him now, Lizzie,” Martin replied, lifting her chin, “and you aren’t a foolish girl. Despite what my sons might say about it.”

Liz laughed, “They don’t all make fun of me and Maria. Ambrosia isn’t the least mean.”

Martin let out a laugh. When Amy was pregnant with Brody she had thought he would be a girl. She had her heart set on the name Ambrosia, and was disappointed when Martin had told her that they couldn’t name their boy Ambrosia…that it wasn’t right. So, Brody had been the first words out of her mouth. Poor Brody, he had been mercilessly teased by his brothers for it, and after making sure Liz and Maria weren’t asked to dance at all, they joined in on the ‘fun’. Ever since he had stopped being so protective they only called him it when he was in a particularly good mood.

“But you are right,” Liz said, getting back to the topic at hand, “this will be the opportune time to get to know Max and have him fall in love with me. I just don’t know if that’s who I want to fall in love with me anymore.”

She glanced at Martin to see his reaction. She bit back a groan. One thing that Maria had not inherited from her father was his gift with hiding how he felt. At the moment she couldn’t read him.

“Who do you want to fall in love with you?” Martin asked, his voice unruffled.

“A rake.”

“A specific rake then?”

Liz laughed, “Yes. A handsome, charming, specific rake.”

“Of course, that kind of rake,” Martin replied. He smiled at her, “His name, puss?”

“Uncle Martin! You know that I’m smarter than that! The second I’d give you his name, you would shoot him the moment you saw him.”

Martin shook his head and raised an eyebrow, “Not the moment I saw him. After he kissed you, puss. Then I’d give your father the right to shoot him, after I took him to Knighton’s Hall-”

Liz blushed and moved her gaze to the ground. Martin noticed and whistled, “He is a rake then. When was this? At the masquerade?”

“Yes,” Liz looked up quickly, “we weren’t seen, and I’ve already gotten a speech from Maria-”

“Maria? My daughter? That Maria?” Martin asked, faking shock, “We did raise her well.”

“Uncle, your suggestions would be heavenly, now.”

“Set the rake straight, puss. Like I’ve always told you, if you lead a rake on, you’ll find you’ve lead yourself into a corner,” Martin said, “Until then, you’ve got your fiancée to worry about.”

Liz watched as Martin rode away towards the front of the group. In a few hours they would be stopping for lunch and continuing on until they reached a place to stop for the night. Then it would be straight on til Parker Hall. Plenty of time for Liz to worry about Max…and Evan. Who was she kidding? There wasn’t enough time in the day.

“Lizzie?” Jeff called.

“Coming,” Liz replied, clicking her tongue and urging Monty on, “I’m coming.”
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Eve: Thanks for the feedback! The encounter is coming up between Beth and Evan. Not Max and Liz, just yet. LOL, if that wasn't a confusing reply, I don't know what is.

BehrObsession: LOL, yes, it is fortunate for Liz to have Martin to talk to. Pretty soon though, Maria's brothers are going to show up and she'll have them to talk to. :-)

Michelle17: Thanks for the feedback!

Elle: I'm glad you're enjoying it!

roswellluver: She meets Evan in this chapter! Thanks for your feedback!

Katia: I really love your feedback. LOL, it's always so fun and eoncouraging. I will definitely include the parens in this fic. Mostly this part is just an Evan/Beth scene. I have two ways that I'm deciding on going with this fic and the scene is needed either way. Oh, by the way, I emailed you! It took me forever :oops: but I did email you. Thank you for sticking around and for your feedback, really, I appreciate it!

Pegleg: They are going to recognize each other. LOL, if you met Jason Behr, and he was wearing a mask, would you still be likely to forget him? ;-) Thanks for the feedback!

PunkSk8ter: Thanks for the feedback! :-D

AznGurl87: Liz and Max (Beth and Evan) meet up again in this chapter! Thanks for your feedback, I'm so glad you were interested enough in this fic to catch up in it. LOL.

Isis: Your feedback blew me away. You said my fic was wonderful then you guessed one of my plot lines. LOL, you're too good. I'm sorry that I didn't hurry with this chapter, but I swear the next one will follow within a week or two. Thanks for sticking around!

cherie: You and Isis both are figuring out my plot line. LOL. Thanks for the feedback!

sunrise102: Haha. Your feedback had me cracking up. But no, Max doesn't ditch out on the party. His mom would probably kill him. While Liz and Max won't be meeting, Beth and Evan definitely will. :-D And, yes, I'd love to have Max fall hard too. Did you get over the flu yet? I just got it again and I've had the sniffles. It sucks! LOL.

Alien614: Thanks for the feedback!

care bears: You'll just have to wiat and find out what happens when Max and Liz meet! :-P Thanks for the feedback, and the bump. I AM sorry I took so long. You're feedback has me writing like crazy though!

funquejunque: I came back! Granted months late. But, I did come back. I *hope* there are fireworks in this part.

Clari: Thanks for your feedback. Here's the new part! :-D

Antarian Pixie: Thanks! I'm glad that you like this! Feedback always makes me appy. Especially feedback where people actually enjoy what I'm writing! :-)

CoLliNLoVeR: Thanks for the feedback!!

SarahWhitman: I was going to do two parts instead of one, but then I wouldn't have made them all that long. LOL. So, instead I just did this one and then started on the next chapter. Thanks for the feedback!

Anna: I love your avatar! LOL. And yeah, 'sexyness' is right! LOL, thanks for the feedback.

Now, on to the Chapter. And guys...really, I am sorry about the wait. Not gonna happen again. Promise. If it does happen, I promise a big ass nookie scene. LOL.

Chapter 6

“Why are you in such a bad mood?”

“When has he ever not been in a bad mood?”

“I’m not one of his mistresses, I can’t really say.”

“You’re all in my carriage, and my foot won’t be aching after it kicks you out,” Max replied grumpily. Kyle James Evans was sitting next to him, while Alexander Charles Evans sat next to Michael across from them. Last night had been the first time Max and Michael had seen the ‘younger ones’ in months. They hadn’t had more than two words pass between them when Alex and Kyle had informed them that they would be staying at Parker Hall for the next two weeks along with their parents and other guests. Elizabeth Parker among them. It was now that Max was regretting saying yes.

“Cheer up, old man, you get to spend an entire two weeks with your betrothed…and it isn’t like she’s not a beauty. She has the looks of a goddess. From what I remember I couldn’t take my eyes off of her,” Kyle stated.

Alex grinned, “Yes, she is beautiful.”

“You’ve yet to see her?” Michael asked Max. He was the only one of Max’s brothers who hadn’t seen Liz yet, “It’s been eight years and you haven’t seen her?”

“I knew traveling with the three of you was a bad idea,” Max groaned, twisting in his seat to face the window.

“Yes, you’re starting to make me feel as depressed as you,” Kyle joked. When Max didn’t reply Michael, Alex, and Kyle all exchanged looks.

“Is the lass so bad?” Michael asked of Kyle and Alex. Max turned his head back slightly back around, his attention on the conversation at hand. While he had never met Liz, or shown any sign that he wanted to, he had to admit to being curious about what kind of person she was. Kyle and Alex knew how he felt about her and how any attempt their mother or father made talking about her was useless so they had never mentioned her before.

“Hardly. Most of the ton mamas are out for any eligible gentleman for their daughters. It‘s been worse lately and you‘re lucky to walk into a ballroom and not have a least five push their daughters towards you,” Michael and Max shared a disbelieving glance that Kyle caught, “and it being that Alex and I have been the only ones to go to any of the ton gatherings we should know.”

“Now, before we left for Venice the two of you had no trouble avoiding the ton when you wanted to,” Michael replied with a smirk on his face.

“Yes, lads, blaming others isn’t really your style.”

“Well before you left for Venice the Season hadn’t even gotten into full swing,” Kyle said bitterly, “and if we hadn’t attended the coming out of Elizabeth Parker, our older brother’s betrothed…well our lives would have been on the line. Bad enough you weren’t there.”

Max scowled at his younger brother, “I was occupied.”

“Well you missed out,” Alex stated. He grinned, “Liz is ever the sweetheart. Made sure the ton mamas stayed away from us and kept them busy in conversation if we did decide to dance once or twice with their daughters. Or in Kyle’s case, take them on a walk to the conservatory.”

Kyle grinned. Alex continued. “If she wasn’t with us her cousin, Maria DeLuca, was. Feisty one she is.”

“They aren‘t like most of the other court ladies either. They won‘t be fooled by any charms - rake or otherwise. They know their way around the ton.”

As Alex and Kyle continued to describe the change in ton court life since Max and Michael had been traveling, Max tuned them out. He had been thinking of nothing but Beth Martin all morning and the narrative of Maria and Liz made the thoughts of trying to think of something else disappear. He leaned back towards the window with a sigh. He had kissed virgins before, had tempted them to toe the line their mamas had set for them, and had never left them wanting. He had never dealt with one like Beth Martin. She kissed as if she had been kissed before, and he wasn’t at all sure she hadn’t. He knew nothing about her at all in fact.

Feeling agitated, Max tapped on the top of the carriage. It came to a halt and he called for his horse.

“Going for a ride?” Max could hear the sarcastic tone in Michael’s voice. Max stepped out of the carriage and turned back to look at his brother, “I’ll see you at Knighton’s.”

Max shut the door and turned to the footman holding the reins of his horse. His jaw clenched when he heard the laughter from inside the carriage. It took him less than a minute to get atop his horse and head away from the path and into the surrounding fields.

---

“Beautiful,” Liz mumbled, a smile on her lips. She had been sitting on the bench beneath the willow tree for over half an hour. She was overlooking Spider Lake, a part of the land of Parker Hall and she was completely content. When she was a child, she had loved coming here with her cousins. They had spent hours playing in the lake or in the woods nearby it. It was a calming place for her, one where no one else spent much time.

Her party had arrived over an hour ago, but Liz had opted to ride Monty around the grounds instead of taking a nap as her mother would wish. She had heard a carriage pull up awhile ago, but had not bothered to greet it. Surely, when Max Evans arrived, she would be informed. The only real good thing about his coming was that his brothers, Alex and Kyle, would be with him. Alex and Kyle’s obvious love for life, good spirits, and humor had won Liz into believing not all Evans were bad. She was, in fact, looking forward to seeing the two of them again, along with the second oldest Evans - Michael. She and Maria had not heard much about him, only that he was the most rebellious of the family. There were rumors of him being a pirate which Alex and Kyle had laughed off. To be truthful, Liz wished he were, much as it wouldn’t help. At least there would be a reason for the Parkers to not want to be associated with the Evans. No matter how hard she tried though, it would never happen, her engagement would not be broken.

“Well, I must say I am surprised, I didn‘t expect to see you here.”

She froze. The voice had sent shivers up her spine, and there was a feeling of excitement in her. Slowly, she stood up from the bench and looked at the figure in front of her. She couldn’t help but look him up and down, taking in the way his trousers hung to his muscular thighs, and the way the sight of his hands sent a shiver down her spine. Looking into his amber eyes, she saw amusement in them and fought hard not to blush.

“Lord Carmichael, I believe the surprise is entirely my belonging. I had no idea you would be here.” Liz held out her hand as Evan reached for it. The moment his lips touched her knuckles she remembered the feeling of them pressing against her own. The memory had her licking her lips before reaching for her hand back.

“Are you disappointed I am here?” Evan asked. Looking into his eyes, Liz was sure she’d get lost in them. They were so intense. Most men she could read easily, but not Evan. She got too wound up in looking at him to really see what he was feeling. Whenever she did try to read him, he put up a mask that was hard for her to get through. He was an enigma, one Liz desperately wanted to explore but knew she couldn’t.

“How have you been, Lord Carmichael?” Liz asked instead, ignoring his question.

He offered her his arm, “Shall I tell you while we stroll?”

---

Max watched her consider him. He had been sure upon arriving that his entire two weeks would be spent wooing Elizabeth Parker. He had been informed she was on the grounds and he had set out to find her. Instead he had been pleased to see Beth Martin. He had not been lying when he had said he was surprised to see her there, he had been. Now he would be able to mix his family business with his own pleasure…and Beth’s of course.

“I would be delighted,” Beth replied. She moved forward to place her hand on his arm. He took the opportunity to cover her hand with his and pull her body closer to his. Her thigh touched his. He felt her quick intake of breath. For a moment a smug smirk covered Max’s face before he began to lead Beth along a path through the woods. The past times he’d been here, forced by his parents to meet Elizabeth who had never showed up, he’d discovered a small summerhouse a little off of the path. At one ball he’d found it quite useful.

“I thought we were heading back towards the house.”

“We are. We’re just walking through the woods first. You don’t mind do you?”

---

“Not at all,” Liz said. She had in fact been hoping not to have to return to the house immediately. It was nice to not have to worry about Max, her betrothal, and what her life would be like once she married him. With Evan, there were times when she thought about Max, but most of the time she was happy. Blissfully happy to be in the presence of a gentlemen who didn’t treat her as if she was already married, and untouchable. And to be truthful to herself, she was highly attracted to Evan. She knew she shouldn’t be. He was a rake - there was a chance he had five other mistresses just waiting for him. But when he kissed her, the rest of the world had fallen away, and he had filled her mind until she had seen him again…and thinking about him had made her happy. She wasn’t about to throw her chance of happiness away.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Evan asked, looking down at her. Liz licked her lips, drawing his attention to them for a moment.

“Do you know the name of that lake?” Liz asked, leaning slightly against his arm. His forefinger was tracing circles on the hand that was on his arm.

Evan obviously hadn’t been expecting that question. His lips quirked and he replied, “Spencer Lake.”

“Right. I think I’m the only one who calls it Spider Lake,” Liz grinned. They were moving farther away from the lake and deeper into the woods. “One of the first times I ever came here, I wanted to go into the lake. I had lost one of my front teeth, though, so my pronunciation was a bit off. My cousins teased me endlessly when I called it Spider Lake instead of Spencer Lake.”

Evan laughed. Liz was immediately caught on his mouth. She bit her bottom lip at the ache to have them on hers. She didn’t know what was wrong with her. She was in the woods with a rake. Telling said rake childhood memories. Wishing said rake would kiss her. Ravish her. It had to be the fact that in a few months time she would be married to a man she didn’t know. That this was an act of rebellion. Yes, that was it. And why not indulge in it? A few kisses would do no one harm. And Liz did so enjoy Evan’s kisses.

No, bad idea. Liz’s conscious seemed to have taken on the voice of Maria. She wouldn’t be indulging herself, she’d be indulging Evan. Urging him on. Inviting him to ravish her. Besides, she had only had one kiss from Evan. How was she to know that she would enjoy all of them? That could have been a lucky night for him. What Liz should do was tell Evan she was not going to be a conquest of his and turn back around towards the house.

Opening her mouth to do just the thing, Liz paused.

So, instead she said, “Seeing as how I know nothing about you, Lord Carmichael, and you now know one of my childhood memories please, tell me something of your childhood.”

---

Max noticed the small path veering off to the side. It was the one that led to the summerhouse. He began leading Beth that way.

“My first time on a horse I was four. It was a pony, at my mother’s insistence, but I was still terrified. Once I got on him, I was fine. Until a bird flew close by, and scared the pony. As it was galloping I fell off into a nearby pile of mud. Lucky for me, my brothers were too young to even remember it.”

Beth’s laugh was loud and infectious. Max turned around to see her smiling widely. “Well, did I laugh at your childhood story?”

“I’m sorry,” Beth replied, “you’re right. I shouldn’t be laughing at your misfortunes as a child funny as they are.” There was still a smile on her face.

“My mother didn’t think it was quite as hilarious. She would have tried to keep me from riding altogether if she could have.”

Beth smiled. “I started riding when I was nine. My father was the one who wanted me to wait until later, but I was determined to ride. It was a pony as well. I never fell into the muck though,” with a smirk at Max she added, “must have been just yours.”

Max sighed, “I knew I shouldn’t have told you that. I should have just said I was an expert at riding since I was born.”

“Ah, yes, but then I would have thought you were arrogant.”

---

Moments later the summerhouse came into view. Surrounded by flowers and vines, it had a beautiful look to it.

Liz smiled at the sight, “I haven’t been here in years. This is my favorite part of the land.” She opened the door and set off down the hall before stopping in a room that contained four glass doors which led back outside. There was a daybed in the corner, two couches across from one another in the middle, a table nearby and two chairs near a fireplace.

She felt Evan’s presence behind her. “Brilliant place of seduction, Lord Carmichael.”

“As it so happens, this is my favorite part of the land as well. Seduction never even came into it.”

With a brow raised, Liz looked at Evan. He stared back with a mask of honesty on his face. She saw nothing else to do but accept his reply so she turned back to look at the window.

“Do you see that tree over there?”

She could feel his body behind hers and his breath on her neck. Her breath caught in her throat and she only hoped her voice wouldn’t sound strangled when she replied. “There’s more than one tree, you’ll have to be more specific.”

“The branches curl up at an odd angle. It’s one of the tallest trees,” One hand landed on her waist while the other moved up, caressing the side of her breast before moving on and stopping at her fingers. He lifted her hand with his and pointed to the tree. “There.”

The hand quickly pulled her back against him. She fought back a gasp.

“The tree?” Liz questioned.

Evan shifted his grip on her hand and drew it back down. Soon both of his hands were at her waist, slowing rubbing, caressing, feeling.

“It used to be my favorite part about the view.”

There was a burning feeling in the pit of her stomach as his hands drifted up, undoing the buttons of her dress as he went. She forgot to ask him what his favorite part of the view now was.

---

Max’s hand dove behind the cloth of her dress to rub along the silk of her chemise. Beth leaned her head back against his shoulder as he palmed her breast. He felt her nipple harden beneath his hand and she arched her back against him, only pressing her deeper into him. A groan filled the room. She turned her head to look at him, brown eyes burning with passion, desire, innocence.

Bending his head, Max took her mouth in his, still teasing her breast through her chemise. Silk was the only thing separating him from her flesh. He fondled it, wanting to explore her, to know every beautiful inch of her.

Her mouth opened in welcome and Max pushed deeper, wanting to taste all of her. Her tongue met with his in a dance all their own. He broke the kiss and turned her in his arms. Beth’s eyes met his. He had never wanted anyone more. He had to have her. She moved her hands up his back and into his hair where she pulled his head down boldly back to hers.

Max’s hands set back to work. Her arms fell from his shoulders in order for him to pull her gown down to her waist. He untied the laces of the chemise, wanting to see her breasts, feel them. His mouth lowered towards hers again. Her mouth opened again, his tongue plunged in. She wrapped her arms around him once more before the kiss was broken for him to move the chemise down.

In the distance the bell to get ready for lunch gonged. Max ran a hand through his hair, and moved to pull her chemise back into place, followed by her gown.

“We must go.” There was true regret in his voice. For some reason, Beth Martin had wedged a place in his mind. He figured it as pure want and lust. It wasn’t just on his part for he could feel the attraction from Beth as well. The ache inside him to have her was too consuming, too powerful. He wanted her in his bed. Tonight.

---

The betrothal was off. Or it would be. It was only a matter of time now. Liz waited in her room, pacing. Maria was supposed to meet her in her room before they both went down for lunch. Liz was debating on either telling her the plan or not telling her the plan. While Maria was recently a voice of DeLuca wisdom, Liz wasn’t sure she needed someone telling her that it wouldn’t work.

Most men of the ton wanted virgin brides. Maxwell Evans, was a man in his prime, a rake. He spent most of his nights in the beds of other women, who he probably had to share. Most likely he’d expect a virgin wife. What if Liz wasn’t a virgin? Max could easily call off the engagement leaving not only Liz, but himself, happy and free.

Evan, was one of the only men Liz had ever felt so highly attracted to. Had the gong not gone off while they were in the summerhouse, she hadn’t a clue what would have happened. Well, she knew what would have gone on, she just didn’t know how far she would have let it go.

Still, she didn’t mind going to Evan’s bed. She was eager, in fact. Her father and uncle had once told her that men were extremely possessive about their women, they didn’t like other men to touch what was ‘theirs’. Max might get disgusted enough about Liz sharing her bed with another man that he might not even want to be married to her. From what she had been told, he already didn’t. Surely if any good reason not to marry her appeared, he would take it. Yes, surely.

After that, after the betrothal was called off, she’d have the choice of being Evan’s mistress or looking into the ton for a husband of her own choosing. All she had to do was somehow get Max to find Evan in her bed and have him quietly call off the engagement. Taking into consideration Evan’s status as a rake, what had happened in the summerhouse, and the strong attraction the two had it wouldn’t be hard to get Evan into her bed. How hard could it be to get Max to discover them? All she had to do was write him a note asking him to meet her in her rooms to discuss their betrothal and he would show up.

None of that was hard. What was hard was trying to plan how she would manage to get a moment alone with Evan that night to invite him to her room, keeping her parents away from her room, and spending the evening away from Max Evans in case he brought up the betrothal which would make her note entirely pointless.

There was a knock on Liz’s door. Taking a deep breath Liz knew it would be Maria.

“Come in!”

Biting her bottom lip nervously, she knew that she would need Maria’s help. But how the devil was she supposed to convince her?!

-Erin
What did you think? Worth the wait?
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Katia: Hey chica. How's it going? Did you get my emails? And in this part, Max and Liz do find out who's who. :-D Although I leave it off horribly. Thanks for the feedback. You know I love it.

sunrise102: I'm sorry that the names confuse you! LOL, they won't anymore... well at least not after this part they shouldn't. My spoiler said that one of the two (or both) would find out who the other really was. So, the names shouldn't be too big of a problem. (I will admit that I felt a bit bipolar writing it. I kept thinking 'Beth, Evan, Liz, Max...it's a big freaking foursome!'). I'm glad the flu went away. I just got a cough recently, so I totally know what you mean! Thanks for the feedback!

kittens: Thanks for the feedback!

Kay: Haha! Thanks! I'm glad you liked the little nookie ness. It was my first time really posting a little bit of NC-17... (not full NC-17 though) and I didn't think it turned out so well. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!!

roswellluver: Thanks for your feedback! You've lost some of your posts though (so have I)... is it because of the pruning? It's what I thought, but I thought it was just me.

cherie: Liz's plan does backfire bigtime and the facade doesn't last long. It'll be over by the end of this part. Thanks for the feedback!

Itzstacie: The good news is that they realize who the other is in this part. The bad news is you don't really see how they "meet" until the next part. Thanks for the feedback! Oh, and I like your signature pic!

Milla: LOL. Yup. If Evan goes to Liz's bed, then Max will be there as well. So confusing, I know. LOL, bare with me! :-) Thanks for the feedback!

BehrObsession: You got it! Huge surprises in store! LOL. Thanks for the feedback!

SarahWhitman: Max and Liz will be introduced at lunch, and yeah, you're right... Maria isn't likely to help.

Eve: LOL. Well, Max isn't a real serious guy. He's a rake... or to us now, a player. He sees Beth as just another girl. You'll have to read more to find out what Max's reaction is though.

Michelle17: Thanks for the feedback!!

AznGurl87: You caught up! WHOO! :-D LOL, yeah, Beth and Evan... er Max and Liz... MAN, this IS totally bipolar or schizophrenic... thanks for the feedback! And the bump!

TrueDestiny: You love my story? Yay! A new part coming up! Thanks for the feedback!

Pegleg/Michelle: I wanted to draw it out as long as I could, but the only way I saw to do that was have Liz think Michael was Max... but it would have been way too confusing. LOL. Anyway, there will be angst between the two, or at least a little bit of heartache or else it'd be over like that *snaps fingers*. Thanks for the feedback!

BelieveInTrueLove: Max and Liz do come face to face in this part. Although you don't get to see the meeting really, until the next part. Liz is sort of just thinking of anything to get her out of her betrothal with Max, so no she isn't thinking clearly. The nun comment had be laughing though! The two week house party isn't just for the Parkers and Evans. Nancy and Jeff and Philip and Diane were going to discuss the engagement party details and so forth during the time that the party had been set, but Claudia Parker had invited others. I think I mentioned it in Chapter 5 (everyone who had been invited). And Max and Liz have never met before. Thanks for the feedback!

Mariiska: I'm glad you found this! Welcome! :-D Max and Liz will discover the truth, this chapter is more of a pre-truth ish chapter. LOL, if that made any sense. Thanks for the feedback!

care bears: Thanks so much for the feedback!!! I'm glad that you were able to find this, even if it took awhile! ;-)

Okie dokie guys, this did take longer to post than I hoped, but it's only twelve days since I last posted! So hey... that's an improvement, right?? So, I'm really into writing this fic. LOL, so I'm writing Chapter 8 right now, and hopefully I can post in a few days to a week! :-D You guys are great!!! Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy this chapter!!

Chapter 7

“Are you bloody mad?”

“Apparently.”

There was silence. Maria finally shifted in her seat, “I don’t mean to be harsh, Liz. You know I love you. You’re more my sister than my cousin. We’ve grown up together… but I think you need to seriously consider what I’m going to tell you, no matter how much you will dislike what I say.”

Liz’s lips thinned, but she nodded and remained sitting. Maria got up and began to move around the room. She stopped and looked hesitantly at Liz. “No interruptions?”

Once more Liz nodded. Maria resumed walking around the room gripping the sides of her dress before nodding to herself and sharply turning to face Liz. Finally she turned back towards Liz.

“You need to wake up.”

Liz raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth to reply but Maria held a single hand up. “Think about your plan for a moment. Max finding Lord Carmichael in your bed means disgrace not only for your parents, but for the rest of your family as well. It will cause scandal which can only result in the Parker and DeLuca name to fall to ruin, and be dragged through the mud. Your father could disown you. Think about that. Imagine yourself walking down Mansbury Street. Your parents are at the end of it. They notice you, you notice them and go to speak with them. Instead they ignore you and move on to their carriage without a word in your direction. Would you be able to handle that?”

Liz looked away from her cousin, tears beginning in her eyes.

“You have known Lord Carmichael for less than a week. Has he already asked for your hand in marriage? Has he promised to wed you? If not, you have no real assurance from him that you will be anything to him besides his mistress. Do you think if he were not to wed you, that any other man would… with the burden your name would carry?”

“I cannot marry a man I do not love, Maria.”

“How do you know you love Evan? Or for that matter that you could not love Max? You haven’t even given Max a chance, Liz! You have exchanged more words with his brothers than you have with him-”

“He never tried to get to know me!” Liz replied in her defense.

“He did. Not right away, granted, but over the summers he visited Parker Hall, and you were invited more than once to vacation with the Evans’. You declined each invitation. There are two partners in a dance, Liz. He was dancing alone.”

“Then you marry him!” Liz shouted, angrily standing to her feet. “I do not love him! I don’t know him! How can you stand in front of me and be so cruel? You know how I feel about this, how much this betrothal kills me inside.”

Maria stood silent, her eyes downcast. She looked up, tears brimming in her own eyes. “I don’t mean to be cruel, you know I don’t. I’m trying to help you Liz. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if you were ruined. Please, for me, end this. Give Max a chance.”

Something in Maria’s voice had Liz raising one eyebrow. “Why do I have the feeling that you have more to say to me?”

“Maria?” Liz asked, when Maria said nothing.

“If you continue in this madness,” Maria took a deep breath and straightened her back, “if you continue pursuing Lord Carmichael and this plan of yours you will give me no other choice but to go to your parents.”

“You would betray my trust in you?”

“If you left me no other choice,” Maria replied. She willed her voice not to break. She knew Liz wouldn’t be happy with what she had to say, and she only hoped her cousin would forgive her one day… but what she was doing with Lord Carmichael would not end in happiness. Liz would be a disgrace in society, never invited to the most prominent balls or functions. Maria knew what she was doing was right, Liz would realize that one day. She truly hoped so.

“It seems you have left me with only one choice,” Liz stood. “I will talk to Evan after lunch, and then approach Max.”

Liz walked to the door and placed her fingers around the handle. She tilted her head, “And Maria?”

“Yes?”

“In my heart I know you mean well, but it seems I cannot forgive you your words now. Leave me be.” With that she walked quickly from the room, closing the door behind her. The halls were quiet, only the sound of Liz’s heels echoed off of the walls. Yet she was positive all those inside the house would be able to hear her heart breaking. In all of ten minutes she had lost Evan, her best friend and closest confidant, and all of her dreams. She felt no more than a shell… one beaten and broken and left to be ridiculed by society.

---

“Where is she?” Max mumbled. He’d been sitting at one of the circular tables in the large dining room, with Michael and his mother the other occupants, for over twenty minutes and Beth had yet to appear. He hadn’t meant to ask the question aloud.

Michael, nearest to him, looked up towards the doorway Max had been watching since he had entered the room.

“She is talking with her cousin, but I’m doubting you are talking about Elizabeth.”

Max sighed and leaned back in his chair, “There are moments I wish that you had stayed at sea.”

Michael grinned. “No, you don’t. My company is the best to have. Unlike Mother and Father I know what you’re thinking.”

“Ah, yes. And what am I thinking?”

“That you’d rather be upstairs in your room with a certain beauty at your side. The only thing I don’t know is who this beauty is.”

“And you won’t find out, you ass.” Max hissed. He only glared at Michael before turning to talk with his mother, across from him.

“Tell me how your meeting with Elizabeth went.”

Max almost winced. Had it been a six foot seven inch man in front of him, grilling him about his fiancée he wouldn’t have winced… but with his mother he feared his life. He’d never seen her truly angry until he and Michael had joined the guards along with Alex and Kyle. Michael was sent to sea while Max, Alex, and Kyle were sent to the front. He’d only just returned before he and Michael had traveled to Venice. Diane Evans had not been pleased.

Like most of the women of her time, she had been married young, when she was sixteen. Philip Evans, had been more than twice her age and one of the most eligible rakes in London. He was the Marquis of Calverton, with many high standing cousins. All mamas of the ton were set on fixing him up with their daughters. Diane’s mother had been fruitless in her attempts for Diane to win over Philip’s attentions. Diane’s father, on the other hand, insisted on her marrying a friend of his. Constantly, they fought over who she should marry. In a sudden act of rebellion, and many glasses of champagne, she had allowed a rake to take her to bed. Later that night she had been amazed to discover Philip Evans next to her. Having been compromised, the only solution was for Philip and her to marry. Two weeks later, she was Lady Calverton. Now, at the age of forty one, she merely looked thirty five with wispy blond hair, hazel eyes, and a kind face.

Max twisted his glass of wine in his hand. He looked up at his mother, “I couldn’t find her, so I spent my time in the stables overlooking the horses.”

“Did you ask the stable boys if they had seen her?” Diane asked. “They would have known if she had been walking about the grounds.”

“Actually, Mother, I took up Elizabeth’s time.”

Max looked at his brother who was leaning casually back in his seat. Michael smirked, “I was interested in Elizabeth, especially after the compliments the younger ones had to say for her, and having not met her myself, wanted to see if she was truly all heart.”

Diane raised a single eyebrow. “And was she as expected?”

“That, and more.” There was amusement in Michael’s eyes. Diane shook her head, “Poor girl. I should have forced you all to get to know her sooner, so she would be well aware of what she was marrying into.”

“We aren’t married yet,” Max said sourly.

Diane sighed, “Oh Maxwell, are you still on that again?” She shook her head, and took a bite of her salad. “Elizabeth is a lovely girl, with no scandal to her name. I don’t see why you are so firm in your decision of disliking her before meeting her. You know your father and I only want what’s best for you and your future. Elizabeth will make a lovely wife.”

“At times I’m sure this woman doesn’t exist, with how perfect she’s made out to be,” Michael whispered to Max. He sat back up in his chair and gave his mother a bright smile.

“I’m not even curious as to what you just said,” Diane stated.

“I just told my dear brother he should give his betrothed a chance before he completely discards her.”

“I’m glad you have such a positive outlook on the situation, dear,” Diane picked up her fork again. “You’re father and I are considering a match between you and Elizabeth’s cousin.”

Michael choked on the wine he was drinking. Max grinned.

“What?” Michael asked, still coughing.

Diane raised an eyebrow, “Michael give her a chance before you completely discard the girl, would you?”

With a laugh, Max clapped a hand on his brother’s shoulder.

“You’re joking, of course.” Michael was staring hard at his mother. After a moment she rolled her eyes, “I’m joking.”

“Good,” Michael relaxed back into his chair.

“Would it be too presumptuous to ask if my betrothal was a joke?” Max asked.

“You’re the oldest son Maxwell. You need to start a family.”

“Mother, there are men older than me who are still unwed. Father married you when he was thirty five. I’m twelve years younger than that.”

“You have no reason not to settle down. You’re in business with your father, you have a house and land of your own, and-” Diane shifted to the side in her seat and looked towards the doorway. “You’re fiancée just walked in.”

Max sighed and resisted the urge to slump down into his seat as he had when he was a child. Instead he glanced at Michael, “Tell me if she’s worth looking at, dear boy.”

Michael turned to look at the doorway. There, was one of the most beautiful women Michael had seen in all of his travels. “You, Maxwell, are one of the luckiest rakes to ever be trapped in a betrothal. She’s breathtaking.”

But she’s not Beth. Max had to bite his lip to stop himself from saying it. He completely relaxed his face instead and turned to look at, meet and greet his future wife. “That is Elizabeth? Elizabeth Parker? My fiancée?”

“Yes,” Diane replied. Philip had been the first to greet Elizabeth as she had walked into the door and was leading her over to the table Diane, Michael, and Max occupied.

“She’s beautiful, Maxwell, get the frown off of your face and smile or else you’ll intimidate her.”

Michael’s words barely registered in Max’s mind. He had seen Beth in the doorway, not Elizabeth. Yet his mother, who had met Elizabeth before, had recognized her. He couldn’t explain it, nor could he write it off. But, it had to be impossible. In some twisted act of fate, the woman he had desired so strongly, the woman who had so entranced him, intrigued him, who he wanted as his mistress… was his fiancée.

He was hit with so many questions. Did she know who he was? If so then what game was she playing with him? But no, Beth- no, Elizabeth had not known who he was. If she had she would have told him her real name, for she would have nothing to hide from her future husband. Then what had she been doing? Had she been looking for a lover? Why had she changed her name? That was a dumb question. Obviously, the same reason he had changed his name… so no one would recognize the name and its connections. So Beth- Elizabeth had been looking for a lover. Why? She would be married to Max within months. She must know he would never put up with her having a lover.

Strange. A week ago, Max would have gladly let his wife be a mistress to someone of her choice, but the thought of Elizabeth with anyone sent a feeling through Max’s entire body. Jealousy. Then again, lately the thought of Elizabeth… Beth… Elizabeth, sent all kinds of feelings through him. Those, he would have to figure out later. Now, Elizabeth was standing across from him, a grim expression on her face, with hint of shock in her eyes.

For some reason, Max was angry. Angry that she would kiss a man she barely knew, despite the fact that it was him, when she was already betrothed to someone else. Angry that she dared let another man touch her, when she was already betrothed to someone else. To him.

-Erin

I know, I'm evil for leaving it there!
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

<center><b><I><u>Author’s Notes</u></I></b></center>
Hey guys! I’d really love to reply individually to each of you, but I can’t. I can only stay on so long or else my computer gets wonky and freezes up. I was going to take it in but I realized it might be a long time before you guys got an update. So, I waited to finish this chapter, which I made 9 pages, because I took so long to get it out. Thanks for waiting, I really appreciate it. Hopefully, when I take my computer it will just take like… a day to fix.

Anyways, if it does take awhile to update again I hope you guys understand why. Plus, I just found out my grandma died. So… things aren’t all that great now. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the update. Bye guys, and again thanks for waiting.

Chapter 8

Liz placed a smile upon her face as she opened the doors leading to the rest of the party. All she wanted to do was go back into her room, lie down on her bed, and never move again. She quickly looked around, taking in all those she knew and those she didn’t, trying to pinpoint Max… and Evan.

“Elizabeth!”

Liz turned. It was Philip Evans, her future father in law. He reached out for her hands and smiled widely. It wasn’t that he was a horrible man. In fact, he was incredibly sweet and charming. Liz frowned. In fact, she liked all of the Evans aside from Max, for obvious reasons, and Michael since she’d never met him.

“You look beautiful,” Philip kissed her cheeks and stepped back, smiling at her.

“And you look handsome,” Liz replied, smiling brightly. “How have you been? And Lady Calverton, how is she?”

“She is well. She’ll insist you call her Diane, but she’s well.” Philip tucked her hand into his arm as her parents approached.

“Where’s Max?” she asked quickly, hoping to get a word in before her parents talked Philip’s ear off. He pointed to a table in the corner, “In the middle.” He grinned as Nancy and Jeff approached.

“Philip!” Nancy greeted. Jeff shook hands with Philip and smiled at his daughter, “Lizzie.”

Liz let her parents carry the conversation as she searched out Max. The table Philip had pointed to held three people. She paled. Diane Evans, Evan Carmichael, and who she thought to be Max. But, that couldn’t be right. She narrowed her eyes and stepped a little closer. Phillip had said Max was the one in the middle. Evan was in the middle. She must of heard wrong.

“Which one is Max? The one on the end?” Liz asked, interrupting her parent’s conversation.

Philip looked over at the table again. He laughed, “Oh no. You didn’t get a chance to meet Michael, did you? He’s at the end. Max is sitting in between him and Diane.”

Liz almost fainted. All she heard was that Max was sitting in the middle. In the middle, where Evan was sitting. In that instant everything began to connect. Evan Cari]Michael[/I]. Max Evans, Michael Evans, and wasn’t Viscount Lydham the title of one of his father’s cousins? Her stupidity really had no limit.

Liz almost shook her head in disgust, yet there was another feeling in the pit of her stomach. Evan Carmichael had been hers. Her plan for happiness. Her escape from society. Her choice for marriage. True, she wasn’t sure that Evan had plans to marry her, but she had chosen him. Had kissed him. Had let him kiss her… A blush crept into her cheeks as the scene in the summerhouse entered her mind. Humiliation first took her over, followed by anger. Max Evans had deceived her! They might not have met, but he had been at the masquerade. Her parents must have pointed her out to him and he had to have decided to play with her. The nerve! He was going to get an earful from her.

Liz looked over to Evan- Max, and was surprised to see his face pale, full of shock as he looked from his mother back to her group. A small amount of doubt crept into her mind that he had just found out who she was as well. Max had approached her minutes after she had entered the ballroom. She hadn’t been announced, nor had her parents had the time to have talked to him and point her out while greeting the Valenti’s, the hosts of the ball. Was it possible that he hadn’t known who she was? She felt the anger flow out of her when she realized, yes, it was possible.

“Liz?”

She jerked her head back towards her parents and Philip. She smiled, “I’m sorry. I was away for a moment. What did you say?”

“Philip offered to accompany you to the table.” Liz squirmed under her mother’s curious gaze. She forced a bright smile to her face as she turned to Philip. “I would be honored.”

“Good!” Philip grinned down at her and squeezed her hand comfortingly. He nodded to Nancy and Jeff before leading Liz away.

Liz thought of every plausible excuse to get away. She forgot her pelisse in her room. She needed her purse. She needed to speak with her aunt for a moment. Nothing would have worked.

“How’s business?” Liz asked. It wasn’t common for girls to speak of business matters, or anything relating to business, with gentlemen. Liz, was an exceptional case. Martin and Jeff had always been open in business talks since she had been young so she wasn’t one to shy away from business discussions. She actually found it all interesting.

“Very well for this time of year. Truth be tell, I’ve been letting Max do all of the work for me lately to relax. He’s been doing an excellent job,” Phillip replied with a large smile. Liz forced herself to smile again. Funny, she’d been doing that more in the past ten minutes than she had her entire life.

“Ah, Elizabeth, dear!” Diane stood seconds after Michael and Max when Liz approached. She felt her tongue swell as Diane embraced her in a familiar hug.

“Lady Cal-” Phillip nudged Liz. She swallowed, “I mean, Diane. It’s good to see you again.”

“You as well. You look lovely, Elizabeth.”

“Liz, please.” Liz insisted.

“You’ve already met Michael,” Diane said nodding to the man standing next to Max.

Phillip looked down at Liz. “I thought you hadn’t met Michael-”

“It was only a brief meeting,” Michael interrupted holding his hand out for Liz to place hers in. Confused, she looked from him to Diane and Phillip. She and Michael had met briefly? When? Where had she been? It wasn’t for a moment before the answer dawned on her and she felt color rising in her cheeks. She’d been in the summerhouse. With Max. Well, that was a sentence she’d never thought would have been in her mind.

Realizing that Michael was waiting she slowly put her hand in his, a little wary of him. What had Max told him about her? She watched Michael as he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it slowly. Her gaze drifted to Max when she heard him growl lightly. His amber eyes were fixed on her hand, before they looked up to meet hers. His eyes narrowed, his jaw flexed and tightened, and he moved his arms up to cross over his chest in a defensive pose.

With a shiver, Liz looked drew her hand back to her side, curtsying to Michael after he bowed.

“Of course, this is Maxwell,” Phillip stated. His voice was harsh, harsher than it had been with Liz. She looked up to see a look pass between Phillip and Max.

“It’s wonderful to meet you,” Max replied holding his own hand out for Liz’s… the one Michael hadn’t already kissed.

It took everything Liz had in her to smile and offer him her hand. As soon as he held it she felt all the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She saw the scene in the summerhouse all over again. Max gripping her hips, caressing her skin, unbuttoning her dress…

Max’s lips lowered to Liz’s skin and heat raced through her body. As he pulled away their gazes met and his eyes narrowed. He tightened his grip on her hand before standing fully straight.

Liz gulped before pulling her hand back and rubbing it against her dress, “It’s nice to meet you too.”

There was tension in the air as Max stared blankly at Liz. “You’ll eat with us this morning, of course?” Michael asked. He didn’t wait for her reply before pulling out a chair, the one he’d been sitting in previously, and motioning for her to sit down in it. Phillip let go of his hold on Liz’s arm and she slowly moved towards the seat. When she sat in the chair Michael pushed it forward and sat next to her.

“How gentlemanly of you Michael,” Diane said dryly as both she and Phillip sat, “but do stop trying to one up Max in front of Liz, will you dear?”

“I’m always this polite and charming, Mother.” Michael winked at Liz, and placed an arm on the back of her chair. She raised an eyebrow and moved a little forward slightly uncomfortable. She could feel the burn of Max’s gaze on her and her every move. She was at a loss at what to say to him, how to act in front of him. He wasn’t just Max anymore - he was Evan Carmichael too. She’d known what she was going to say to Evan, that she had to end it all. She even knew that she was going to try a relationship with Max since as far as everyone was concerned he was her future. Now that Evan and Max were one and the same, Liz was absolutely clueless. And she hated it.

---

An hour later, Liz searched for a reason to head back to her room. She’d already tried tipping her glass onto her dress and using it as an excuse to change, but Max had caught the glass before it’d even hit the table. All Liz had accomplished was darkening her cheeks to a deeper red.

Now, Liz didn’t care if she did make it obvious she just knew that she had to get out of the current discussion. Her and Max’s upcoming wedding.

“Nancy and Jeff were thinking of having the wedding here, but I think Evenley Manor would be more suitable. Every Evans has been married there for years,” Diane reported.

Liz fought back the urge to loudly yawn and slump down in her seat. Instead, she forced herself to at least appear interested in the conversation.

“We can discuss all of that next week, Diane.” Phillip replied.

“I know that, I just thought I could get Max and Liz’s opinion on the matter. It will be their wedding after all. They should at least enjoy it.”

Next to her, Max shifted in his seat and sighed. “Well, if it is all such an inconvenience, Elizabeth and I shall have to bear with the idea of not marrying at all.”

“Maxwell!” Diane snapped, shooting Liz a sympathetic groan. “That was incredibly rude of you. I insist you apologize at once.”

Liz sat up completely straight and exhaled, “That’s completely unnecessary, Diane-”

“No, what’s unnecessary is Max’s attitude. He has been complaining for far too long,” Phillip snapped. He was glaring at his son who suddenly had an angry look on his face and a snarl on his lips. Before he could make a remark Liz stepped in.

“Actually, I’d have to say I agree with Max.”

“What?” For the past five minutes Michael had been sitting quietly to the side, watching his brother and parents with a small smirk on his face. Now he, along with Diane, Phillip and Max, were staring at Liz.

“I agree with Max on the premise of our… marriage arrangement. I’ll admit I haven’t been thrilled about it at all either.”

“Well, that’s a bit of a shock,” Max stated.

Liz swiftly turned in her chair to face him. “Now, why would that be a shock to you? Wait, let me guess… is it because every other woman you meet is all too eager to carry your name, title and children? Well, let me be perfectly clear in informing you that I am assuredly not one of them!”

Max’s face hardened. His amber eyes turned a dangerous shade of dark brown, almost black. His voice was sharp and clipped. “That is not at all what I meant, and-”

“What did you mean then? You know, maybe if you weren’t so completely arrogant-”

Arrogant?!?”

“- self involved, egotistical, haughty, conceited, bigheaded, supercilious and condescending, you’d realize not every woman thinks you’re attractive-”

“Where in the hell do you get off? You‘re-” Max snapped. He broke off at the look of shock on his parent’s faces. Tables near them had begun to watch the two fight. Alex and Kyle were already on their way towards them. With a growl he pulled Liz up by her arm.

“What are you doing?” Liz snapped, trying to get her arm out of his grip.

“You are making a scene!”

“You’re the one who had to make a comment. I’m not happy with this arrangement anymore than you are, but at least I’m doing everything I can to make my parent’s happy! You on the other hand are acting entirely selfish and immature!”

“You don’t know me so don’t,” Max shook Liz’s arm, “judge me.”

“Oh I don’t, Sir riding champion?”

“And I’m sure you know absolutely everything there is to know about riding,” Max hissed back.

Liz was all too aware they weren’t talking about riding horses. Angry and insulted she pulled her hand back as if to slap Max. Within a second her wrist was once again in Max’s grip.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Max murmured in a low, dangerous voice.

“Let go of my wrist,” Liz demanded.

“So you can try and hit me again?” Max asked.

Let. Go.” Liz pulled again.

“I don’t know what your plan was when we first met, Lady Beth, but what happened is now over.”

“Me?” Liz gasped. “What about you? Out of the two of us who would likely change their name in order to trick, charm or seduce someone the most likely candidate would be you!”

“But you did in fact ‘trick, charm and seduce’ me,” Max replied. “Which brings me to wonder why.”

“Why what?” Liz snapped.

“Why would you let any man take you to a summer house knowing what he intended while also knowing you were engaged? What were you hoping to achieve in becoming my - Lord Evan Carmichael’s - mistress?”

“That wasn’t my goal. I didn’t want to be anyone’s mistress.”

Max raised an eyebrow, “What were you hoping for then? Marriage?”

“Is that so unbelievable?” Liz snapped. “I want to marry for love. I want a man who will love me, and only me.”

“Yet you were already engaged to me.”

“And you I had never met. My parents wish to see me happy. They also wish for there to be a connection between your family and mine. If that makes them happy then it is my duty as their daughter to ensure that they are. And it’s your duty as your parent’s son to do the same. I wasn’t willing to accept it. Now, I am. I don’t see a marriage to you being at all successful. Still, in a few month’s time I will be your wife, whether I believe in it or not. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go apologize to your family for the scene we caused.”

Max wondered why she wasn’t walking away until he glanced down to see her wrist still in his grip. He looked back up at her. Something went through him, something that didn’t quite want Liz to leave just yet. He shook it off. “Like you said, we will be married in a few months time. I’m willing to forget what happened between us earlier when we were both in the dark concerning who the other way. What I’m not willing to overlook is if this happens again. Until our marriage, no man is to be encouraged-”

Encouraged?!?” Liz spat. “I don’t know what you’re trying to insinuate but aside from you, I haven’t ‘encouraged’ anyone else-”

“Well, let’s keep it that way, then shall we? You are my fiancée, yet the ton hasn’t seen either of us together… ever. I’ll make sure to correct that and after this party accompany you to any balls or social events you choose to go to.”

“A chaperon then, how quaint.” Liz said sarcastically.

“I’ll come to escort you to dinner tonight,” Max replied, ignoring her statement. He dropped her wrist and then nodded, as if giving her permission to leave.

“Maybe you should write a copy down of your rules for me, should I happen to forget them,” Liz mumbled, brushing past Max. She clenched her hands into fists at her sides. Of all the extremely possessive, stupid, annoying things to do… he gave her rules! RULES! They weren’t even married yet and he wanted her to follow rules. What did he expect of her? To not speak to any men at all? That was utterly ridiculous! She shook her head, if he just expected her to follow his rules, he had another thing coming. She had a few rules of her own for him!

---

When later that night someone knocked on Liz’s door, she expected to open it and find Max leaning against the doorway, smugly staring at her. Instead, it was someone entirely different. A grin crowded her face and she invitingly opened her arms. They rushed into them and lifted her into the air.

“What are you doing here?” Liz laughed, kissing his cheek.

“Yes,” a voice drawled causing both to look up at the intruder, “what are you doing here?”

TBC…

Kidding. I was going to leave you there but because I was gone for so long (*kicks computer*) I’m going to keep going.

Liz looked up at Max. The look on his face made it completely clear to her that he wasn’t impressed with her already breaking a rule of his. Finding a man in her room was probably the last thing Max had been expecting. She was lowered to the ground and turned to face Max.

“Max, I’d like you to meet the Viscount of Johnston, Lord Nicholas DeLuca. He’s my cousin.” Liz had at least hoped that last part would cause Max to relax and act less defensive. He stayed as he was. She had an intense urge to slap him. She turned back to Nicholas, “Nicholas, this is Lord Maxwell Evans the Duke of Colvister and my fiancé.”

“The Duke of Colvister? I thought his father was the Count of Calverton,” Nicholas replied, staring fiercely at Max, his arms crossed over his chest.

“Three of my uncles have any children of their own. My brothers and I are each the heirs to their titles and fortunes. Kyle, will be taking over my father’s title and estate, while I take on my uncle’s.” Max explained. He finally stepped forward with his hand extended to Nicholas. They shook hands for only a minute, but Liz saw the look pass between them.

Looking from her cousin to Max, Liz shook her head and turned back to Nicholas. “What are you doing here? I thought you weren’t coming until tomorrow.”

“I got in early. Brody, Grant and Sean are in their rooms. Pierce won’t be arriving until sometime tomorrow. I just wanted to see how my favorite cousin was doing.” Nicholas wrapped an arm around Liz and smiled down at her than looked up at Max, “What I am wondering is what you were doing here?”

“He was going to escort me to dinner,” Liz explained. She didn’t like Max, true, but if they were in fact to be married she didn’t want her parents worrying that Max was being killed by their nephews. Although, she wouldn’t mind seeing Nicholas scare Max a little with the way Max intimidated her sometimes.

Nicholas looked Max over before nodding. “In that case, I’m going to see Maria. I’ll see you at dinner Lizzie.” He bent down to kiss her cheek before removing his arm and leaving the room.

Tension filled the air and Liz picked up her pelisse. “Before we go down to dinner I wanted to say something to you-”

Max lifted his arm, “We’re already late. Why not tell me on the way to dinner?”

Gritting her teeth Liz nodded and placed her hand on his arm. Once they left her room, she closed the door and began to walk with Max down the hallway. “I’ve thought about your rules. The way I see it, is we’re both in this marriage together… fate only knows why, and I believe if I have to follow your rules it is only fair if you follow mine as well.”

Max almost stopped in his tracks to stare at Liz. Instead he merely shot her a curious gaze.

“If I am to not ‘encourage’ anyone until our wedding, I think it only fair that you do the same. After our wedding, should you so choose to have a mistress it will be up to you.”

“Fine,” Max agreed, completely not counting on giving up any of his mistresses.

“And should I want to become the mistress to someone else, it will be up to me as well-”

“No.”

Liz looked up at Max, shocked by his sharp response. “Excuse me?”

“No. When we are married I won’t share my wife.”

“But I’m expected to share my husband just because it is the way of the ton? Well to me that’s unacceptable.”

“I want children, my children. Our parents expect you to be the bearer of them, and I won’t accept a child that is not mine because you want to be a mistress to someone else. Is that understood?”

“So you expect me to watch as you drift from bed to bed and always come back to me waiting in the one I can never leave?” Liz asked bitterly. Max said nothing. She fought back any tears in her eyes, “Okay, so after we have children. After you have children of your own… then?”

“There’s no need to even discuss it now.” Max replied.

“Yes, it is!” Liz stopped walking. “After I give you children will you let me do as I wish? If I want to become someone’s mistress once you and I have children… will you let me?”

Max looked down at her, “Do you not want children of your own? Do you not want to me a mother?”

“Of course I do. And I will love and care for our children if we have them, but just because I have children doesn’t mean that I can’t be happy does it?”

“No, it doesn’t.” Max said.

“So I’m waiting for your answer,” Liz said impatiently.

“After we have children, and if you are unhappy, then yes… I will let you do as you wish.” Max replied. Liz nodded and began to walk with Max again although now he seemed different to Liz, and she didn’t know what it was.

---

The talk of mistresses, affairs, rendezvous’ and children brought something out in Max. Something that made him think of the picture of Liz, pleasure all over her face, in the summerhouse. Or the way she looked after he kissed her for the first time. The thought of another man seeing that drove him crazy, and he’d never felt so angry before.

He couldn’t even look at Liz without seeing her with someone else, and he clenched his jaw. Well, he’d just have to make sure that when they were married she was satisfied, satisfied enough to not want to leave their bed.

Once they reached the rest of the party, Max had seated Liz with her family before making his way to his own. He didn’t take part in the conversation, only watched Liz throughout dinner. He’d never been so confused in his life and he didn’t even know why.

It wasn’t until later when he and many of the other men at the party adjourned for drinks and cigars in the study that he’d realized why he was so confused. When he’d thought Liz was Beth he’d wanted nothing more than to take her and ravish her in his bed. Now, knowing who she was he hadn’t been as attracted, or so he thought. It was only when he’d seen her with her cousin that he’d grown jealous… and possessive. The feeling of wanting her again had come at him strong.

It just confused Max as to what he was going to do about it. Seduce Liz? Convince her he was worth marrying? He sighed. That was when the butler had interrupted with a note for him. He’d taken it and stepped off to the side before frowning and calling his father over.

“What is it, son?” Phillip asked.

“The Masley case I’ve been working on isn’t going as well as I thought it was. It should have been finished by now,” Max ran a hand through his hair, “hopefully I can get everything straightened out within a week or two.”

“You’ve just met Liz, Max!” Phillip said, “I’ll handle the case.”

“You have to plan the wedding, remember? Besides, this is my case. I have to finish it. There’s still time for Liz and I to get to know each other before the wedding,” Max replied, “And I’ll find her as soon as I’m done.”

“Well, I’ll make sure everything’s ready for your journey home in the morning,” Phillip said.

Max nodded, “All right. I want to leave at dawn, the sooner I can finish everything the better.” He rubbed his eyes. “I’ll try to talk to Liz tonight and explain but I’ll have to leave her a note if she’s sleeping.”

“Talk to your mother as well if you can Max. If you can’t, I shall tell her your goodbyes.”

Max smiled his thanks at his father, and didn’t glare at him when Phillip ruffled his hair as he had done when Max was young.

---

Max walked through the halls of the west wing of the house where Liz’s room was. He stopped outside of her door, and turned the knob slightly. Her room wasn’t locked. He’d have to talk to her about that. It wasn’t safe to leave your door unlocked at a house party, despite the fact that it was at her family’s house.

The room was mostly dark except for a light burning beside the bed. The empty bed. Max looked around the room for Liz and saw her in a chair besides the window, asleep. Well, that explained the door being unlocked. He moved towards her, and bent over to pick her up. She moaned a little and then settled comfortably in his arms, burying her face in the crook of his neck.

Pulling back the covers to her bed, Max placed Liz down and pulled them over her. She snuggled deeper into the bed and a small smile over came her face. Max was warmed at the sight for some unknown reason and he wanted nothing more than to take her into his arms. Instead, he reached one hand out to rest on her forehead and tuck a stray piece of hair behind one ear.

He almost sat down on the bed beside her when he saw the clock. Almost one in the morning. He rubbed his eyes and then went over to the desk he had seen before. He quickly wrote a quick note to Liz before glancing at her one last time, and blowing out the candle near her bedside.

-Erin
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

<center><u>Author's Note</u></center>

You guys are so completely wonderful, I can't believe it! Things have been so crazy that summer is just so awesomely appreciated right now. Anyway, I tried to make this chapter longer... so it's 10 pages. I've already started on the second chapter. So far I've got five pages, I want to get 10, so expect that this week. :o) Thanks guys!

<b>Pegleg:</b> Thanks for saying you love this story! I'm just sorry I took so long. All of your questions will be answered in this chapter. Well, at least most of them. Thanks so much for your feedback!

<b>roswellluver:</b> Thanks for your feedback!

<b>kay_b:</b> I can honestly say that at this point I'm not planning on writing another sex scene with Max and another woman. If that does happen though, you can bet that Liz will have someone else too. Thanks for your feedback!

<b>Katia:</b> There will be more jealousy in the Max/Liz category - most likely in the next chapter. I'm so glad you liked it! :oD That always makes me happy! Sorry it took so long though. Thanks so much for your feedback and your well wishes!

<b>Elle:</b> Thanks for the feedback and the hug! :o) You're wonderful.

<b>sunrise102:</b> Max will fall hard, I promise. ;o)

<b>begonia9508:</b> Liz is going to make sure that everything between her and Max is fair in the courtship/marriage. Thanks for the feedback!

<b>AznGurl87:</b> Thanks for the feedback and I'm really glad you liked it enough to read it from start to uh... well not finish... but now at least. Thanks!

<b>TrueDestiny:</b> *cringe* Well, okay so this wasn't exactly a quick update but um... don't throw anything at me ( ;o) ). Thanks for the feedback!

<b>BehrObsession:</b> Thanks for your sympathies! I appreciate them! :o) And, yay! I'm glad someone sort of touched on the power thing - yeah, Liz has plenty of power over Max altough she might not quite realize it so soon. Thanks for your feedback!

<b>Behrsgirl77:</b> You do get to see what the note says! LOL, thanks for your feedback!

<b>isis7777:</b> Well, my computer isn't completely fixed, but it's letting me type so YAY! Anyway, thanks so much for your feedback. I can't believe you love this fic! That always makes me happy when I read that. :oD

<b>Lindz:</b> I love you chickee! :0) Thanks for reviewing this. Where the heck are ya, punk?

<b>cherie:</b> I'm sorry I didn't hurry back, but thanks for the feedback!!

<b>PhoenixFlames:</b> Yeah, there are going to be plenty more double standards... but I guess for this fic there have to be. :oP Thanks for your feedback!

<b>SarahWhitman:</b> Children as in plural - yes. That is a long time for Liz to be unhappy isn't it? Could you imagine if we lived in the 19th century and had to follow their rules. Holy Mackenzie, I think I'd die! Gah. Thanks for the feedback, and your well wishes. It made me smile. So, thanks!

<b>...« B »...:</b> I debated whether or not to have Max stay at the house party but then I decided not to, to give Max and Liz time to think. Thanks for your feedback!

<b>kittens:</b> Well it seems that everyone loves your suggestion about Liz getting to sleep with everyone of Max's brothers if he cheats on her - I like that rule too. ;o) Thanks for your feedback! (And suggestion).

<b>Cherry Bomb:</b> Thanks for the bump!

.... Chapter on next post....

-Erin