Aficionado (AU M/L Adult) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Eleven.

Liz was left to pace in the police station waiting room for at least half an hour before a man came and led her to Janssen’s office.

Without offering him a word of greeting she instantly asked, “What’s going on?”

He was unwilling to discuss information on the case and Liz realized that they had no reason not to consider that she was an accessory if they believed Max was the killer.

“Miss Parker please sit down,” Janssen said. “We can discuss this rationally if you would just—”

“As far as I know you have no proof to back your ridiculous conclusions so I suggest you forget them until you do.”

He sat back in his chair and her angry eyes roamed over his bulging figure. His stomach was so enormous that the shiny buttons of his shirt seemed to be hanging on by a single thread. Perhaps when he first joined the police force it had fitted. “Miss Parker, I expected such a well respected lawyer to be familiar with the New York Police’s procedures—”

“I don’t care about your procedures,” Liz retorted. She was fighting blindly. How could she help Max if she didn’t know what they had on him? “Perhaps you’re familiar with those of the law. A man is innocent until proven guilty.”

He was unimpressed by her. “It is correct that we are unable to hold Max Evans with unfounded reasoning, I am extremely educated in this Miss Parker—however I am inclined to insist that you keep from making a further fool of yourself when you are ignorant of many things to do with my case.”

“So you do have evidence?” Liz asked, biting her lip. “Then he’s been framed.”

Janssen laughed. “Now who is making conclusions without proof? You’re not living up to your legal reputation, I’m afraid.”

“Right now I’m not here arguing as a lawyer—as far as I know I don’t need to be. I’m here arguing as a fiancée and best friend of an innocent man. Perhaps that will evoke some sentiment within you.” She was just so terrified. Somehow she had to change his mind about suspecting Max.

All he had to say to that was, a curious, “Fiancée?”

Liz watched him open a manila folder and note something down. Obviously the news she’d just revealed.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door and a man entered, followed by Max. She caught his eyes and offered a grim smile.

Janssen stood up from his chair and greeted him. “Please take a seat.”

Liz’s anger boiled at his fake politeness. “You should be protecting him, not accusing him.”

“Liz,” Max said simply.

Sit down Miss Parker, I don’t want to ask you again.”

Only because Max tugged her arm did she finally do what the Constable asked.

“Now,” he continued, “Can I get you something? A cup of coffee perhaps?”

“No,” she replied—but then had an idea and quickly changed her mind. “Actually, yes, water will do.”

Max didn’t want anything but he was silently wondering what she was up to because he knew that she would never accept water that wasn’t Evian.

“There you go,” he handed Liz her drink and then took back his place behind the cheap desk. “Firstly, Mr. Evans I’d like to apologize for disrupting your working day, I understand that you are a busy man.”

“Yes and you are taking more of my precious time as we speak. Most people pay a grand an hour for my time, Constable, so I urge you to hurry along.”

“You must understand our suspicions,” Janssen said. “For someone who knows such a great deal about Miss Parker’s past it is—”

Max cut him off. “I know so much because it’s my past too, and most of these men you guess that I killed were friends of mine. I would like to know what reasons you have created as to why I would want to murder them.”

Just then Liz ‘accidentally’ knocked her glass of water that had been resting on the desk. It tipped and spilled its contents all over the Constable’s paperwork and she quickly shot up, after retrieving some tissues from her bag, and walked around to stand next to him. “I’m so sorry,” she said, while dabbing at the paper…and trying to read what he had written.

“That is fine,” he said through gritted teeth and ushered her away.

Max fought the urge to laugh.

~*~

While standing on the curb outside waiting for a cab Max asked what she had seen.

She sighed. “Not much, just possible reasons you might have for being involved in the guys deaths. Oh and they’ve been checking to see if you have alibis. I think it said something about the night Mark died—when you were on a date with that girl? Well, it didn’t look like they’d been able to find her to clear your story.” She took a moment to swallow and tuck her loose hair behind her ears. The weather was stormy and grey, it would rain soon. “Also, I only saw this briefly, but I think that beside the night of Charles and Peter’s deaths—when you’d been with me, they had ‘someone working for him?’ next to it in brackets.”

“What were their ‘possible reasons’ for my desire to kill them?” he asked grumpily.

“I don’t know,” she replied. “But I saw the word jealousy or something stupid like that.”

Max groaned. “This is horse shit.”

They didn’t talk during the ride back or while they were in the elevator. It was quite awkward because both of them were worrying didn’t know what to say to the other to make it better.

When they were back at the office they their separate ways until nearly five when they ran into each other in the coffee room. At first they didn’t speak but eventually Max stepped very close to her and while looking into her eyes, murmured, “I wish you could wear my ring.”

She looked right back and with one hand she reached inside her shirt and pulled out a gold chain. “Its right here,” she smiled softly. “It’s just closer to my heart this way.”

His eyes shone with love and he couldn’t keep himself from kissing her softly, despite the fact anyone could walk in. Liz’s arms went up and around his shoulders, urging him not to move away and to her surprise he didn’t, just swooped her up and sat her down on top of the bench.

“I need to be close to you so much right now,” she whispered, her forehead against his.

“I know,” he swallowed. “I need you too.”

His hands were on her thighs and he rubbed up and down affectionately, causing her to purr and try and press more of her body against his. When they kissed again it was hotter and completely arousing.

“We can’t do this here,” Liz managed to whisper when his hands ducked under her skirt.

“Oh my God you’re wearing garters,” he moaned. “Could you get any sexier?”

She smiled and planted long kisses on his neck. “We can’t…here…”

He replied, “I know, anyone could walk in,” just before capturing her mouth again furiously. They moaned together, grinding their lower halves in unison. It was carnal and suggestive and they absolutely could not stop.

“Someone will see us…” Liz panted. His mouth dropped to where her blouse was open and he kissed the top her breasts, flicking his tongue against her soft skin. She wound her fingers through his hair and closed her eyes in satisfaction. “It’s not…ohh, hmm, God that feels good…very professional for the boss to…”

“Hmm, not at all.”

He was so intense. Liz felt one of his hands graze the band of her panties and that was when they both stopped. “God,” she whispered. “How about I come to your office in…ten minutes?”

He nodded. “Good idea.”

She slid down onto the floor and her heels made a slight click on the tiles. Max grabbed her in a fierce hug before letting her go. “Liz, everything’s going to be okay.”

She buried her face in his chest. “How do you know?”

“Because the bad guys are always caught,” he kissed the top of her head. “I love you so much.”

They looked at each other and Liz gave him a sweet kiss. “I love you too.”

Outside the coffee room door she found Constance leaning against the wall with her eyes closed. Pain was etched all over her face. “Are you okay?”

“Oww,” she laughed. “I’m fine, just had something in my stomach disagree with me.”

“Oh, I hate it when that happens…” Liz’s cheeks suddenly went bright red. “How long have you been there?”

Constance’s went red, too. “Only a minute, I promise! It’s just you two looked so sweet; I didn’t want to interrupt you.”

Liz breathed out in relief. Sounds like she didn’t catch them too early. “Oh…ah, thanks.”

“How long have you and Max been together?” she asked curiously. “And how come you didn’t tell me? Congrats girl!”

“Ah, thanks. We’re trying to keep it quiet for a while, so would you mind…?”

“Oh, of course. My lips are sealed.”

Waiting for ten minutes to pass in her office was hell. She was getting all hot and wet and the familiar tightening of her breasts when she was aroused was enough to leave her breathless.

When it was time to see him again she practically ran to his office. His secretary wasn’t there because she usually went home at five unless asked to stay later.

As soon as she opened the door Max stood up from his desk and told her to lock the door behind her. As she was doing it he came up behind her and brushed her hair away from her neck, passionately placing kisses all over her warm skin. Liz sighed and unzipped her skirt. “Max…”

“Sweetness, I have to have you…”

She turned around and he pulled her skirt down her thighs. “Please, hurry…”

He carried her to his desk while she straddled his hips and tried to undo his belt at the same time. She wasn’t having much luck so after he put her down he removed it himself—his pants following soon after.

Liz licked her lips and happily helped him with his black boxer briefs. He made her breathless. Just looking at his dark bare body was enough to start her off in fits. There were no words to describe just how beautiful he was.

While tugging at her black lace panties he said, “God Liz, you’re so hot. You have the fucking sexiest underwear…it’s like you know exactly what makes me tick.”

She chuckled breathlessly and tugged him closer. “I can’t believe we’re doing this…”

“Hmm…”

He didn’t waste a second. He was inside of her quickly and fully, causing them both to moan out in excitement. Liz leaned back and spread her legs widely so he could stand between them and while he thrust in he bent towards her with his hands grasping her thighs.

Outside the regular office noise continued on but inside it was silent save for their hushed moans and pants. Liz felt such a longing and pressure in her groin that she knew her orgasm was not far away…

Max’s hands were grasping her flesh so tightly that it was bound to leave a mark. His movements were very quick and fierce which left her feeling very stretched and full.

“Jesus…” he moaned. “Fuck…”

Liz tried to bite her lip to keep from screaming out but could not keep her mouth closed or her eyes open. A silent scream would have to do.

She knew he had to be close because she was. A little more pressure and that would be it. As if sensing this, Max shifted one of his hands from her thigh to her clit where he gently rubbed but that was enough. His movements slowed and he whispered, “I want to go with you…”

Liz moaned and nodded.

Two deep plunges later they both let out moans—that were entirely too loud—and then collapsed in relief. Max stayed within her for a long moment, enjoying the feeling of her wet heat as long as possible.

The clock ticked and before straightening up and repositioning his pants on his hips he gave her a kiss. Then, he helped her with her underwear and skirt.

“We should not have done that,” Liz said with a chuckle. “We could get in so much trouble…”

“I think that’s part of the appeal,” he replied and then ran his fingers down her hair to straighten it. “You think you can keep from having a shower for an hour?”

“Why? I was going to go home now.”

“I have some things to finish, and then I wanted to take you to see the car I’ve got my eye on.”

“Oh…” she bit her lip. “I’ll just go use the bathroom. Come get me from my office when you’re finished okay?”

“Okay,” he wouldn’t let her go without a kiss first. “I’ll try be quick.”

“Thanks.”

Later on he ended up buying the car he wanted. Liz really liked it, though she would have preferred it in the silver rather then the black, and then they went home and she worked on her novel until late.

He was already in bed when she joined him. All the lights were off and she climbed in, feeling for his warm body. He sighed softly and scooped her up, not realizing until a few seconds later that she was naked.

“I wrote about it,” she chuckled and reached for his boxers. “And now I’m hot again. I want you to be soft this time…”

They made love again like she wanted, with him sitting and leaning against the headboard while she straddled his lap. Their bare chests and mouths pressed together…Max could taste her mint breath on his tongue when she panted.

Afterwards they lay down, absolutely exhausted. She had her head resting on his chest with his fingers lazily stroking her lower back and was just closing her eyes when a movement to her left caught her attention. Sleepily, lazily, she opened one eye. She’d expected to see Bruno crawling on the dresser or something but to her horror in the mirror she caught the reflection of a black figure standing in the door way of their room.

Her heart sped up and she blinked, thinking her eyes were playing tricks on her but the figure remained in place, staring at her blankly. All the hairs on her body stood on end heat spread through her stomach.

Max was oblivious and half asleep.

What was she supposed to do?

By now her heart was pounding roughly in her chest and the noise was so loud in her ringing ears. “Max…” she breathed out, almost inaudibly. “Max…”

She never tore her eyes away from the doorway where the person made no attempt to move or speak.

“Hmm…?” Max murmured.

Her voice revealed her absolute horror and fright. “There’s someone in the house.”

His body suddenly went rigid beneath her. “What?”

Suddenly the person turned and went to run. Max heard and was up in an instant, shoving on his pants.

Seconds later he was after them and Liz was left lying on the bed alone, shocked. She gathered the covers around her body and cautiously made her way towards the door. She had to fight the urge to turn on the light for fear of what she might see.

A second later all sounds of scuffling seized.

Swallowing her fear, she called out, “Max! Max! Oh my God!” She prayed hoping that she would hear his sweet reassurance.

However, all her prayers seemed to be in vain.

Max didn’t reply.

~*~

I'm a little bit mean aren't I? Well the good news is I'm halfway through the next part already so you won't have to wait too long. Thanks for the FB and the congratulations! :oops:

~nicola
100% Pure New Zealand Beef
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twelve

As soon as Max left the bedroom he grabbed the heaviest and sharpest thing he could find, which happened to be a candle holder. He didn’t spend a second worrying about his safety. The only thought that ran through his head was if this is the murderer and I catch him, it will all be over.

When he saw the dark silhouette of the intruder enter the office he was after them without a second thought. The window had obviously been broken and while noticing that the desk was a crazy mess, his rival snuck up behind him and whacked him hard on the side of the head. He wasn’t strong enough to knock him out, but he did sway on his feet and see black for a long moment.

His opponent took his painful distraction as the perfect opportunity to get out the window and climb down the fire escape into the pouring rain. Once Max became coherent again, he was descending after the murderer with the cold air harshly attacking his bare skin.

Max nearly lost his grip on the slippery railing but magically managed to seize something before plummeting downwards. At the end of the ladder was a dark, grimy alley that if you followed would lead you straight to the front of the building. Unfortunately for him, his feet were bare and as he sprinted towards the flickering car lights he could feel the soles of his feet collecting glass and sharp tin rubbish.

His opponent was incredibly fast and dressed from head to toe in black baggy clothing. A ski mask hid all possible forms of identification.

“Come back here you son of bitch!” Max screamed as they got to the street. He was nearly hit by a passing cab but ignored its strident horn that disrupted the peace of the night. Amazingl,y he could hear not only the slaps of his feet but those of the person he was chasing, they were frantic and careless because both knew that if they came into contact both of their lives would change drastically. One for the better, one for the worse.

Max’s pants were loud and wet and though he wasn’t gaining any distance he refused to give up. All he wanted was for Liz to feel safe and happy again, even if it meant sacrificing himself.

They both had to dodge many things, lamp posts, mail boxes, cars, and people…people with dogs that barked obsessively as they moved like lightening past them. Max must have looked a sight sprinting down the street in next to nothing with his head slick wet from the large droplets of rain.

His opponent didn’t look back once. All he cared about was getting as far away as possible. Max thought he was like a cheetah, jumping, sprinting and dodging everything in their path. At one instant he pushed a homeless man’s shopping trolley down in front of Max and, unable to stop, he smashed into it and rolled along the concrete very painfully.

He managed to get up again but it was then that he lost the race. The murderer crossed the street and three cars came zooming past, blocking Max’s view of which way he went. Dejectedly, Max stood there for a long time, looking around him, wishing and hoping that the perpetrator would magically turn up again.

“Did they steal something from you, boy?” asked the homeless man.

Max nodded. “Yes, my peace of mind.”

“I suppose for you that’s the worst thing,” was his reply.

Max helped him put all the things back in his trolley and then slowly walked home, feeling as though he was the biggest failure. Those emotions were amplified when he saw two squad cars parked outside their apartment building.

As soon as he opened the door to the apartment Liz called out, “Max?!” and came running. She was in hysterics and gave him the tightest, most suffocating hug he’d ever been given.

“You’re bleeding!” she screamed, practically in tears.

“I’m okay,” he assured her.

“You went after him. Are you insane, why would you do that? What if he had a weapon? What if you had been killed? How could I go on?”

Her hands that grasped him were shaking terribly and it took Max a long time to calm her down. He continually whispered that he was fine hoping to reassure her.

“Other than some cuts on my feet and a gash on my forehead and leg… I think I’ll live,” he added.

He could have sworn she mumbled, “But for how long?” but he couldn’t be certain.

When they got back to their apartment, they found three police officers searching the place looking for fingerprints, any evidence that might lead to the intruder’s identity.

Liz wouldn’t let him do anything until she’d gotten the first aid kit and cleaned his injuries. She fussed over Max as one of the officers questioned him.

“So you didn’t get any form of identification whatsoever?”

“No,” Max shook his head. “But the guy was shorter than me, not by much. He was slender too and quick.”

“And you didn’t hear him break the window?”

“No we were…” he swallowed. “No, we didn’t hear anything.”

“And nothing has been taken, nothing is missing?”

Liz answered that one. “No, I’ve checked. Everything’s still here.”

After they left she went to clean up the glass and tape up some cardboard over the window. Max had to sit with a towel around his shoulders and his feet soaking in antiseptic.

When she was done she came back and sat on the coffee table in front of him, her chin in her palms. “I was so worried that you’d been killed and left in some ditch somewhere.”

“Liz, we’re in New York. There aren’t any ditches.”

Her eyes were sad and she kept sniffling. “Max, whoever this guy was…he’s been watching us. Just…watching.”

He didn’t say anything.

She shivered. “Do you think he watched us…make love?”

He blinked. “I don’t know.”

“God, I’ll never forget their eyes, ever.” He could tell by her expression that she really wouldn’t. He couldn’t imagine what she’d felt when she’d learnt he was no longer in the apartment. “I’m so scared, Max.”

“Hey…” he reached out and tugged her onto his lap. She folded into him and he was struck once more by just how small and fragile she was. “Sweetness, whoever it is…they’re gonna have to get past one hell of an army to get to you. Nobody, especially me, will allow anything to harm you.”

She nodded and sighed. “How are your feet?”

“They’re fine.”

They went to bed soon after but neither one of them got much sleep.

~*~

Max was in the shower the next morning when the doorbell rang. Liz answered it in her nightgown with her coffee cup in hand. Opening the door, she was surprised to find their landlord standing there.

“I heard about the break-in,” he said. “Came to check out the window. Anything else damaged?”

“No,” she replied holding the door open for him

Unfortunately, she wasn’t thinking about the fact the Bruno was prowling around and when Mr. Clark noticed him he let out an angry snarl. “I thought I told you no pets, Miss Parker?”

Liz cursed under her breath. “He’s really very good, he doesn’t go anywhere and he doesn’t shit on the carpet…except for in Max’s closet but that’s only happened about six times.”

“Cats are not allowed,” he said very grumpily. Liz sighed. “Either get rid of him or you’re out.”

“Yes sir,” she said unhappily.

Mr. Clark was also allergic to cats so while checking out the window he was sneezing dreadfully. Every time he let one go he’d look at Liz angrily and she slinked further away from him.

Max came out of the bathroom draped with a towel on his waist and greeted Mr. Clark.

Mr. Clark greeted a snippy, “Good morning,” and then added, “I’ll send the glass company up to fix this during the day. You get rid of that cat, you hear me?”

“What..? Oh…” Max looked at Liz with amusement. “Right.”

She rolled her eyes at him.

As soon as Mr. Clark left he said, “Well, I suppose we’re moving then.”

“Are you serious?”

“He may be a cat, but Bruno is apart of the family. We can’t kick him out now, it would be immoral.” Max stepped up close to her and wrapped his arms loosely around her shoulders. “Besides…after last night…I’ve been thinking perhaps you’ll feel safer if we buy somewhere new and keep the address confidential.”

Trying to lighten the mood Liz teased him, “Don’t lie, you just want to spend more of your hefty pay checks.”

“Well this isn’t the type of apartment a man of my position should have…”

“Why am I getting the impression you’re not kidding?” she said sheepishly. “Anyway, where would you want to live? It’s not easy getting an apartment in New York, especially if you want it quickly.”

“I’m just suggesting we start looking, that’s all. You heard Mr. Grumpy Clark; we either lose the cat or lose the apartment. There’s no way I will allow poor little Bruno…”

“I’m going to get really angry if you keep kidding,” she said.

“Me, kidding? Nooo.”

“Go get dressed.”

He stepped away from her, pulled off his towel and whipped the back of her thighs with it. She yelped and ran towards the kitchen but he chased her on his sore feet and pinned her against the refrigerator. “I know that you’re looking at my package.”

“Pla!” she cried. “I so am.”

He laughed.

“I know what you’re trying to do,” she squirmed against his naked body.

“What’s that?” he brought his face up so his nose was against hers. She stared into his eyes for a long moment and then went to kiss him but he snapped his head back. “I don’t think so.”

She pouted. “Why not?”

“Because we’ll be late for work,” he laughed.

“Hmm, you’re the boss…what does it matter?” she said.

“I have to set an example for my employees and that includes you.”

“What was that little stint in the office yesterday then, eh?”

He backed away. “Bosses need to have a little fun sometimes too you know.”

“Convenient theory you have there.”

~*~

The next day, Liz was with some clients in her office when Constance came in with their coffee. The tray she was carrying started to shake in her hands and Liz asked if she was okay.

“I’m fi-ahhh!” suddenly she dropped the tray and coiled over. “Ahh!”

“What’s wrong?” Liz was at her side, helping her instantly.

“It’s my stomach, it’s so sore. I thought it would just go away,” she moaned.

Liz remembered yesterday. “You’re still in pain? You should go to a doctor.”

Her two clients looked at them concernedly.

“I didn’t want to call in sick, I thought you’d need me today,” she cried. “Oh God, it hurts so much…Ahhh!”

Liz got Penelope to take Constance to the hospital. She couldn’t leave her meeting.

Later on during the day her phone rang and she picked it up saying, “Miss Liz Parker speaking.”

“Where’s Constance?” Max asked curiously.

Liz rolled her eyes. “You couldn’t come and see me? Even at lunch time? You must be busy.”

“Very.”

“Shucks. Well, anyway, I got a call a few minutes ago from Constance; she has appendicitis and won’t be in for the next week. She’s going to be staying in a private hospital until she has recovered. It’s funny, yesterday afternoon she looked ill, I should have guessed then.”

“You’re not a doctor,” he said simply. “I’ll have to remember to send flowers."

“I’ll visit her at some point,” Liz replied. “Now, how can I help you, Boss?”

“I just want to know whether or not you’ll be going to Pilate’s this evening because we need groceries.”

Again?” Liz groaned. “That can’t be…”

“Well that’s the funny thing, neither of us can ever be bothered buying any so it can be that we have none.”

“Ohh shh,” she snickered. “I think it’s your turn.”

“I can’t go.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because I’ll be here late tonight. So you are going to pilates?”

She smiled. “Yes I am.”

“Crappity crap,” he swallowed. “Well, how about we do this then? I’ll pick you up from Pilates, we can go shopping together—how conventional married couple is that? Jeesh—and then you can make a dessert for Kyle and Hannah because they’re coming over around nine.”

“Sounds fine.”

“Goody. See ya later sweet.”

“Mmmm hmmmm.”

~*~

Couldn't stop myself from posting for another second. Hope you like! :D

Oh and a special thanks to those who came out of lurkdom for me. You know who you are, :angel:

:o The closer we're getting to finding out who the murderer is, PLEASE IF YOU HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHO IT IS, PLEASE DON'T TYPE IT, PM ME IF YOU WANT ME TO KNOW!!!l lol!!!! Some people might not know and you'll give it away!!! Or some poeple might not want to know until the end. THANK YOU! :D :roll:

Or...if you ALL do want to know and like reading other peoples predictions, tell me to shut up :oops:
Last edited by nicola on Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Thirteen

While at Pilates Liz told her friends that she and Max might be moving for security reasons. “So if you want to reach me, you’ll have to call my cell and we’ll meet somewhere.”

Why? It’s not like we’re suspects or anything,” Isabel laughed at the absurdness of it.

“Well actually…”

Maria and Isabel paused their leg movements and stared at her in shock. “You’re kidding?” Isabel spat out.

Hurriedly Liz said, “Don’t take it personally, even Max is a suspect.”

“Yes, but you must think there’s some truth to the claims if you won’t even trust us with your address!”

“No it’s not like that,” Liz cried, horrified.

“Ladies!” The Pilates teacher shushed them.

“Sorry,” Maria said and then lowered her voice and looked back at her friends, “Isabel, she’s just looking out for her safety. Liz, you’re not telling anyone your new address, are you?”

“No,” she shook her head.

The Pilates instructor continued, “Ladies, single-leg teaser, and one, two…”

“That’s a good idea,” Maria said quietly.

“Thank you, and anyway, it’s not even certain. We haven’t even discussed it properly yet…”

“I know that if Tess was here she’d be on my side. You totally believe that we deserve to be suspects,” Isabel grumbled.

“Where is Tess anyway?” Maria asked.

Liz sat up straight and stared at Isabel. “I do not! How can you think that?”

“Easily.”

“LADIES! You’re disrupting the class,” the instructor said. “Am I going to have to ask you to leave?”

“Don’t bother, I’m going anyway,” Isabel grabbed her mat, rolled it up and left in a huff.

Maria whispered, “She’s such a drama queen.”

Liz stared after her friend worriedly and then continued on with her session, though it didn’t do much to relax her.

When Max came to get her she told him that Maria had persuaded her to take a women’s self defense course. “She’s going to do it with me.”

“That’s a good idea,” he agreed. “You never know when it’ll come in handy.”

“And it’s on a Sunday afternoon, so I don’t have to worry about finding time.” Liz assured Max as they drove to the grocery store.

When they got there, the two of them forgot about their worries as they went about picking up their groceries. Max pushed the trolley while Liz stood on the bar at the other end of it crying out childishly, ‘wheeee’ when he sped up and ran down the isles.

“My turn,” he’d announce occasionally.

“I can’t push you,” she repeated. “You’re too heavy.”

He pouted. “No fair.”

They reached their apartment parkade just as Kyle and Hannah were arriving. “Oh! Great timing!” Kyle said.

“We’re good like that,” Max popped open the trunk and picked up several grocery bags.

As soon as Liz told them about the break-in the night before they went to the office to look.

“The glass was replaced today. God, what a mess. I’ll have to vacuum later.”

“That must have been terrifying,” Hannah said.

“I’m trying not to think about it.”

~*~

“I just love him,” Liz cooed.

“He’s adorable,” Hannah agreed. “I’ve always wanted a kitten.”

Bruno was stretched on her lap, purring quietly. “The bad thing about moving is that Max and I have had a lot of memories here. Right, Max?”

“Hmm? Oh, yeah,” he nodded.

Kyle ran his finger along Hannah’s knuckles and he smiled in adoration. “Maybe we should have a double wedding, no? We’ve put it off forever.”

Liz watched them with awe and then glanced at Max. He was staring at nothing, in the middle of his own thoughts. He’d gotten quieter as it got later. They’d told Hannah and Kyle of their engagement because there was no point in hiding it anymore. There were plenty of reasons to tell their friends of their engagement but mostly it was because she wanted to wear Max’s ring on her finger. She was tired of hiding it and wanted to show the world how much she loved this man.

They didn’t have a doubt in their mind that their intruder the night before was the murderer. Whoever it was, they now knew Max and Liz were not just friends.

“Speaking of weddings,” Hannah said. “Have you decided on a date or are you going to be as sluggish about it as us?”

“Well,” Liz tapped softly against Max’s cheek with the palm of her hand. “Where are you?” she asked and then looked at Hannah and rolled her eyes. “We’re waiting for this whole ‘episode’ to be over and then we’ll think about planning our wedding.”

At the mention of the murders, Hannah’s face lost some of its colour. Liz instantly wanted to get down on her knees and beg for her forgiveness.

“That’s probably smart,” Kyle agreed.

“Would anyone like some more coffee?” Max finally came to life again.

“No, we better make this the last one. We have to get back,” Hannah said. “But there’s no way you’ll be able to stop me from finishing this cake.”

“Oh go ahead,” Liz smiled. “It’s delicious isn’t it?”

Bruno woke up when Max stood up. He always followed him to the kitchen because Max never stopped feeding him. Liz thought he was getting fat.

The little bell on his collar jingled quietly as he strutted behind Max.

Liz suddenly felt cold now that Max was no longer sitting beside her. She drew her legs up against her chest and pulled the rug hanging on the back of the couch over her.

They continued talking until late in the evening. It was only when they all began to yawn that they decided to call it a night.

“Take care of yourself,” Liz hugged Kyle.

“You too,” he said.

“Maybe he’ll listen to you,” Hannah said. “He thinks invincible. He doesn’t believe he can get hurt.”

“Max is like that!” Liz cried. “God he chased after the guy last night! Who does that? Max, who does that?”

“The brave ones do that, eh?” Kyle whacked his friend on the back. “I say good for you.”

“What is it with males?” Hannah said. “You’re both going to get yourself killed.”

“No way,” Max exclaimed.

While cleaning up the dishes and putting away the groceries Liz told Max of her concerns about the night before. “How do you think the police are going to see the break in? It happened the day you were taken in for questioning, isn’t it going to seem like we set it up to put them off their suspicions?”

“I don’t know,” he replied simply and then bent down to pat Bruno’s head. “I don’t know much about anything anymore. But my gut is telling me that we should get out of this apartment and fast.”

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to sleep,” Liz agreed. “Perhaps we should guard the window all night? Wouldn’t we be a sight, half asleep on the couch watching the office like hawks?” she chuckled. “Can you imagine that?”

“I can imagine that,” he smiled unenthusiastically. “I think we should take the first apartment we can find, doesn’t matter if it’s nice or anything. It’ll only be temporary, we can move again afterwards.”

Liz opened the box of fruit loops in her hands and started eating the frosty treat out of the bag. Max came and joined her. “You are a little scared aren’t you?”

“Not for myself,” he replied unhappily.

She handed him the box and loosely wrapped one of her arms around his lower back. “If it helps, I feel much safer when I’m with you.”

“What if I can’t do anything?” He pulled away from her and went and collapsed onto a chair. “I couldn’t do anything last night,”.

“You did plenty.”

“Liz…I’m supposed to be leaving on a business trip in two days.”

She frowned. “I didn’t know about this, when did this come up?”

“I found out the other day, but how can I possibly go now?”

“For how long?” she asked.

“Three days.”

“Oh…”

Max rubbed his forehead. “The problem is it’s actually quite an important deal.”

Liz thought this was fantastic; he’d be out of the city for a few days. He wouldn’t be in danger. “You absolutely have to go.”

He laughed dryly. “Oh yeah right.”

“I can stay with Hannah and Kyle or something.”

“Are you insane? Kyle is next on the fucking list, you’d be safer anywhere other than there.”

“Don’t get all pissy,” she walked over to the dishwasher and started loading it. God why was he so stubborn? “You think I don’t know that?”

“Well act like it, for heavens sake.”

She couldn’t believe he meant that. All the worry was getting to him, with this on top of his promotion it was amazing that he’d managed to stay in control for so long. He didn’t need this.

“Look,” he spoke again, “You wouldn’t consider staying with your mother while I’m gone? She’s been calling obsessively Maybe it would give her some peace of mind if you stayed with her.”

She couldn’t dispute his suggestion. Her mother had been freaking out ever since she’d found out about the murders from an article in the paper. “I don’t really want my mother to be drawn into this but if that’s what it will take to get you to leave then I will.”

“Okay, we’ll do that then,” he said.

~*~

After Max left, Liz made good on her promise and stayed with her parent’s. She missed him when he was gone and realized how lonely and miserable she was when he wasn’t around.

She hadn’t had a decent night’s sleep since the night before the break-in. It was virtually impossible to even close her eyes. In her old bedroom, she’d lie awake staring at the streaks on the ceiling that were caused by the moon. Every little creak the house made scared her stiff, her heart pounding hotly in her chest.

By the second night she was sleeping in-between her parents.

There was one good thing that happened in his absence.

She found an apartment. It wasn’t anything fancy and was further away from the office than they would have liked, but it had an excellent security system. She called Max and excitedly told him about her find. He told her call the landlord and ask how soon it could be theirs. “Emphasize the fact that we need it quickly, okay?”

“You don’t want to see it first?”

“No, it’s not important. God we’re so lucky! Is there a parkade in the building?”

“No, but there’s a parking lot a little way down the street,” she replied.

“Perfect. I miss you.”

“I miss you to.”

After hanging up, Liz called the landlady. She informed Liz that they could move in at the end of the week. Liz breathed out a sigh of relief. Finally! Some great news. At least something was starting to go their way.

Other than Liz’s increased paranoia, the rest of the week passed by uneventfully.
One morning as she was leaving for court, she unexpectedly ran into Ryan at the elevator.

“Liz…I think I have something you might want to know.”

“What’s that?” she asked, intrigued.

Suddenly the elevator doors opened and a group of people got on. “We’ll talk later?” she asked. “Is it about my case?”

“No.”

The seriousness of his expression worried her slightly but in the bustle of the day she forgot all about it.

That night she had even more trouble getting comfortable in bed then usual so her mom, anxious to help, took her home and they stayed up all night packing her and Max’s things into moving boxes.

No one was happier about the engagement then her mother. She’d been waiting for them to get together since they were fifteen.

“This is such a beautiful picture, Lizzie.”

Her mom held up a photo of the two of them at Michael and Maria’s wedding. They were walking down the isle together, smiling enthusiastically at their two friends. “Finally it’s your turn!”

“I’m only twenty-seven momma,” Liz sipped her coffee and drew her legs up to her chest.

“Yes, thank heavens. What a horrible thing it would have been if you two were still playing around at thirty. Do you want this lamp packed?”

“Of course I want it packed, what else would I want done with it?” Liz then noticed that her mom liked it. “Oh just have it, don’t look so obvious about it.”

Nancy laughed. “Oh, I really couldn’t…”

“Don’t even pretend to fake it,” Liz rolled her eyes. “You were going to beg me for it if I didn’t offer.”

I wouldn’t.”

By the morning most of their things were packed up and ready to be moved. “While you’re at work I’ll take them to your new place, alright?”

“No mom, you’ve done enough.”

“No I haven’t,” she shook her head vigorously. “Your father will help me, he’s got the truck.”

“Max will be home tonight, we can just do it then…”

“Nonsense, he’ll want to rest. You can make him a nice dinner at the new place.”

“I can see there’s no point in arguing…”

“No there isn’t my darling.”

~*~

Ahh, it's another part. I hope you like it.

Here's a little warning that it's gonna get a wee bit angsty from here :?

Thankyou for the fb everyone, *hugs*

~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Fourteen

It now felt as though there was nothing to do but wait. The police kept hammering the threats into her brain until her skull did all but bleed. It was the obsessive paranoia that plagued her the most. Sometimes she’d get so sick of looking over her shoulder and switching the light on in the dark ‘just to check’ that she would have preferred it if her assassin was there. That way her constant fright would have been justified.

Max didn’t end up coming home on the Saturday night like he was supposed to but on the Sunday night instead. By then she’d managed to unpack most of their stuff. There was one problem though, their new place was much smaller than their previous three bedroom apartment, so a lot of boxes were sent straight to storage.

They no longer had an office, which was the greatest loss. Their laptops now resided on one side of the shortened dinner table and all of their most important legal journals were packed into a small bookshelf in one of the three ‘box’ closets.

After spending a whole day in her new home, Liz began to notice that it evoked certain feelings of claustrophobia that she didn’t know that she had within her. It was such a dark, narrow space that it took quite some getting used to.

Once the bed was in place and she’d put one wooden bedside table and dresser in the bedroom, plus a portable wardrobe (there was no way Max would be able to keep all of his things here) there wasn’t a hell of a lot of moving room. She managed to get two couches in the living room, with their flat-screen tv on the front wall and the dinning room table virtually pressed up against the breakfast bar.

All she could think when she was done setting everything out was: at least there’s a dishwasher.

She still didn’t know what Max would think of their new apartment. She had the notion that he wouldn’t enjoy it all that much, (‘a man of my salary does not live in a place like this! How will I entertain business associates?’) but she knew that he’d be relieved to finally have a safe haven that he would look past its imperfections, just like she had done. Also, there was no doubt that he would notice the small amount of entry routes, also known as windows.

On Sunday night her mother was helping her with dinner while she waited for him to walk in the door. She planned for them to have a delicious dinner by candlelight followed by a nice romantic movie. A relaxed evening would be exactly what he needed, she thought, and she’d benefit from it too.

As she waited for Max, she noticed that it was becoming increasingly late and she became concerned that he’d had trouble getting away from the airport. The apartment was being kept warm by several heaters but the food wouldn’t remain edible for too long.

Just as she was picking up the phone to call his cell the intercom buzzed. A sigh of relief escaped her when she realized it was him. She was so happy and thankful to see him that even before he could take off his coat she had literally thrown herself at him and was hugging him tightly.

“I guess that means you missed me?” he asked softly.

“I guess so,” she mumbled against his chest.

“What smells so good?”

“That would be my mother’s cooking.”

“Oh don’t lie to the man!” Nancy cried from the kitchen. “It’s all Liz’s work Max, she has hidden talents.”

“Judging by what I know of her cooking, I’d tend to believe that you’re lying,” Max replied. “Nancy…it’s good to see you.” He gave her a squeeze and kissed her cheek.

“You too,” she smiled. “I’m so proud of you for getting the promotion. Your father would be too if you got in touch with him once and a while.”

“He doesn’t know?” Liz asked, surprised.

Max sighed and rubbed his eyes, “He’s overseas. I’ll tell him when he gets back.”

“Lizzie, make sure that he does.” Nancy pulled on her coat and opened the door.

“You’re leaving.” It wasn’t a question.

“I have a grouchy husband who wants feeding waiting for me,” she replied. “Besides, I think Liz wants you all to herself tonight. I’ll see you later.”

After the door clicked shut Liz took Max’s coat and bag. “So, what do you think?”

“It’s a step down, isn’t it? You’ve made it homey though,” he smiled at her fondly. “How did you get it set up so quickly? I had this idea that I’d walk into a cold, hollow cave and have to spend the evening unpacking.”

“No decent woman would allow her man such a thing,” she replied with a chuckle. “Come on, I‘ll show you the rest—though there isn’t much.”

“The compactness will be a source of comfort, no?”

“Perhaps.”

You had to walk through the kitchen to get to the very small hallway that had the bathroom and bedroom coming off it. Liz put his bag down on their bed and then clasped her hands in front of her lower stomach.

“I like the red walls,” Max commented after inspecting the tiny wardrobe.

She laughed. “Yes…that one thing that is good.”

“It’s safe,” he said seriously.

“Ah that it is.”

He added, “That’s what’s most important.”

“Hmm.”

Suddenly he was standing in front of her again. “You look tired, not that I can say its overly surprising.”

“I’m just glad your home. Do you want to shower before eating?”

“No, I’ll shower afterwards. What are we having?’

“Mexican.”

“Fantastic.”

~*~

When Max saw that Liz was making an effort to forget about everything outside the walls of the apartment, he did too. The meal was delicious and while he showered she cleaned up the kitchen then got herself some chocolate ice cream and sat at the table to read the junk mail.

There were plenty of legal documents to go over but that was incredibly unappealing at the moment. Real life would have to wait until tomorrow.

When Max was done in the bathroom he came out into the kitchen wearing a towel and said, “I just realized I haven’t kissed you yet.”

Liz didn’t look up but she did smile to herself. “Falling back into friendly routines?”

“Never going to happen,” he assured her and was at her side in a flash.

She let her eyes roam up from his bare feet, along the dark blue towel—lingering at the slight bulge that peaked from underneath the fabric—over his muscular chest and shoulders. When she reached his coffee liqueur eyes she let out a little moan.

“Give me some sugar,” he joked and then leaned down to give her lips a soft brush with his own. Liz thought he pulled away far too quickly and said, “That’s it?” while running her tongue along her teeth.

“What’d ya expect?”

“A little more than that,” she teased. “Especially after four long days.”

“I didn’t want to tear you away from your important reading.”

“I think you’re a little more interesting than waffle irons and toasters.”

He was overjoyed. “Oh you really think so?”

They let their arousal lead them to the couch where they made slow, passionate love. Liz buried her face in his shoulder afterwards, wrapping her arms around his warm, bare body. He was all hers.

Max didn’t move from his position on top of her, simply held her tighter and closer. Feeling much the same things.

“I got some DVD’s…” she managed to get out after a while.

“Oh yeah? Anything good?”

“Not really.”

He laughed. “Good, can’t be fucked getting up anyway.”

“It is good because if you let go of me right now I might cry.”

“Oh sweetness…” he pressed his lips to the tip of her nose. “Have these last few days been really horrible?”

She hadn’t realized how upset she was until the tears flooded her eyes. “I can’t describe it…Max I’ve been so scared.”

His eyes showed how incredibly worried he was for her. “Honey, you didn’t feel safe even with your parents?”

She shook her head. “This has to end soon or the only one who they’ll be locking away will be me. In a mental asylum.”

“It’ll end soon, it will—you’ll see.”

“Really? Because right now it seems to me that if the murderer walked right up and admitted what they’d done—the police wouldn’t be able to stop them because they wouldn’t have any evidence to hold them.”

“Someone always overlooks something and this person will too.” He stroked her face affectionately. “It’s going to happen soon, I can feel it.”

“What do you think they want from me?”

“I don’t know, but they’re not going to get it as long as I’m around.”

They talked for a long time, trying to stay away from the issue that was slowly drinking their lives away in big gulps. When they were both falling tiring Liz mumbled to Max, “Don’t fall asleep before me, I don’t want to be alone.”

“I won’t,” he replied. “I’ll watch over you.”

She snuggled into him more and let her eyes drift closed. “Thank you…” she said faintly.

~*~

Just as Max and Liz were about to walk out the door for work the next morning, the phone suddenly rang. Neither of them liked answering it anymore, they couldn’t be certain that bad news wasn’t on the other end.

Heads was that it was Max’s turn to answer, tails it was Liz’s. Max reached into his pocket and flipped.

It was tails.

“Morning?” Liz picked up the receiver.

“Liz!” there was weeping. “It’s Hannah. I’m at Columbia Presbyterian, Kyle’s been shot.”

“What?” her face fell. “Oh my God. I’ll be right there.”

“I’ll go get the car, is it still in the old building’s parkade?” Max asked. “You go straight to the hospital. I’ll put you in the cab.”

Liz nodded silently, her eyes full of tears and followed him downstairs.

When they parted he kissed her and told her everything will be okay. She wanted to make sure he’d be safe. “I’ll be fine; I’ll come straight to hospital soon.”

Liz’s heart was thudding loudly in her chest for the journey to the hospital. It seemed like it was taking hours when the cab driver suddenly said, “We’re here.”

She paid him and hurried towards the entrance of the building. They were unwilling to let her go through because she wasn’t a family member so she called Hannah on her cell and told her she was there.

Kyle’s father came down a few minutes later and took her with him to their waiting room. Hannah gave her a hug instantly. “Oh Liz, I didn’t know if I should call you or not. I thought you’d want to know…in case…”

“Thank you so much, I’m so glad you did,” Liz buried her face in Hannah’s hair. “I’m so sorry that this is happening to you. It’s just not fair.”

Hannah sobbed loudly. “He was just leaving for work. He was on the side walk; waving down a cab…and…it came from nowhere. I just heard it from the front room and the next thing I knew, he was on the ground…”

Liz knew she had to put away her own terror for now. “Everything’s going to be okay,” she whispered and hoped it would be true, “He’s going to fine.”

It was a long wait before they heard anything. When an hour passed and Max still hadn’t arrived it gave them all another thing to worry about. Of course everyone else was preoccupied with Kyle’s condition but Liz couldn’t help but let her mind wander.

Eventually, she dug her cell phone out of her purse and called his mobile. He didn’t answer.

“Maybe he’s downstairs?” Hannah offered.

“I’ll go check.”

She didn’t find him anywhere but she did however, find Constance. “What are you doing here?” she asked, shocked.

“Here for a check up,” she smiled. “I’m coming back to work tomorrow. These places really are horrible, I’ve been waiting forever.”

“Oh yeah…you haven’t seen Max around have you?”

“No…” she shook her head. “Is something wrong? How come you’re here?”

“A friend of mine was hurt,” Liz replied absent-mindedly. “We’re just waiting to hear if he’ll be okay.”

“Oh that’s horrible, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Thanks. How have you been?” Liz didn’t really care about Constance at the moment but she felt it would be better for her to stay down here for a while than be upstairs panicking.

Constance rolled her eyes at herself. “Yeah, could’ve been better. I’ve been staying with my mother while I recovered but I’ll be so glad to get back to the office.”

“It’ll be good to have you back.”

WHERE THE HELL WAS HE?! Liz was so close to screaming she couldn’t take it. “I’m sorry…but I have to go. They’re probably waiting for me.”

“Okay. I’m sure your friend will get better; people recover from gunshot wounds all the time. Just depends on where they were hit.”

“Yeah you're right. The staff and doctors at this hospital are really good. He'll be fine. See you tomorrow maybe.”

“Uhuh, bye.”

Liz rounded the corner and pulled out her cell to call Max again. He didn’t pick up.

~*~

HI!!!! Okay so I hope you liked the new part. I got some hints on how to write this last night from Mystic River. Saw it at the movies, awesome actors in it, no? Anyway, since I'm a first time Mystery writer it was helpful lol!

um...didn't win anything in the awards this time but I got runner up in Most underpraised and Most improved which is quite good, yeah?

Thanks for the votes, that's so incredibly cool!

~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Fifteen

“I’m sorry; we did all we could but…”

Hannah’s loud wail kept Liz from hearing the rest of what the doctor said. She fell back onto the wooden waiting room chair and put her head in her hands, trying to block out the cries coming from the others in the room.

They were all trying to comfort each other to no avail but the relief wouldn’t come. Kyle was dead and that was that.

Liz silently wondered how she could possibly forgive herself for this when her pager beeped loudly. The noise startled her at first but in seconds she was grasping it in her hands. Embarrassed, she excused herself from her grieving friend and made her way to a payphone.

“Max?” she asked frantically.

“Yeah it’s me, how’s Kyle?” his voice was strained.

“Where are you? It’s been two hours,” she cried. “You’re not at the office are you?”

He swallowed. “I’m not at the office. I’m still at the old building—Liz, someone absolutely destroyed the car—smashed its windows, slashed the tires…hit it with a sledge hammer.”

Liz would have been fazed by this news if she wasn’t already fighting to recover from the earlier declaration. She rubbed her wet eyes and pressed her forehead against the wall.

“The police have been questioning me; I haven’t been able to leave but we’re on our way now.”

“Don’t bother,” she whimpered. “Kyle’s dead.”

“What?”

She didn’t reply. A tear rolled down her moist cheek and the taste of salt soon invaded her mouth.

He let out a loud puff of air. It was all he could manage. “How’s Hannah?”

“Use your imagination—chances are you’ll figure it out.”

~*~

They were at the funeral and it was Kyle’s mother’s turn to speak when Max suddenly felt Liz rise to her feet. He watched as she snuck through the back door and then turned his attention back to the front. It probably wasn’t the best idea to go after her right now; she probably wanted to be alone.

Someone was always looking after her now, so she never got a moment to herself to think. He thought that she’d be safe by herself for the remainder of the ceremony. He’d find her afterwards. Maria caught his eyes questioningly from the other side of the isle but all he could do was shrug.

Mrs. Valenti finished her tearful speech and then there was a moment of silence while Kyle’s favourite song was played. Max closed his eyes and sniffled. He could smell the dusty odour of the church and the perfume of many of the ladies sitting in his section.

He thought of Kyle as he knew him and of the better times they’d spent together. There was this time when the four of them had been in Liz’s car together that he’d never forget.

“Liz, let me drive. Come on.”

“You haven’t got your license,” she replied stiffly. “I don’t want to get a fine.”

“It’s not like we’ll get caught,” Kyle continued to plead. “And if we do, I’ll pay—not you.”

Michael leaned forward in his seat. “I don’t think it will matter if you give him a short turn, Liz. At least it’ll shut him up.”

Liz groaned and grumbled but gave up the fight despite her unease. She swerved the car into the curve and clicked off her seatbelt. “If you damage my car in any way, I’ll kill you.”

Kyle was already outside her door, happily leaping up and down like a little puppy. “I won’t do anything! Don’t be such a nerd.”

They went on their merry way and everything was going fine until they saw a group of police cars on the main road.

“Oh shit!” Kyle panicked. “What do I do? What do I do?”

“Nothing!” Liz cried. “They might not even stop us. Just keep driving!”

They all sat stiffly in their seats as they glided past the cops, all averting their eyes and trying to look casual. The problem was it was a check point for drunk drivers and they were pulling over everyone for a breath test so it wasn’t a surprise when a man in a blue uniform waved him in.

“Shit, shit, shit!” Michael cried.

“I can’t stop!” Kyle replied. “I can’t stop!”

“Just pull over,” Liz grumbled, knowing what was coming. “The fine might not even be that much.”

They all waited for him to turn but he never did. Max was just about to ask him what he was doing when he put his foot down and zoomed off, all of them falling back into their seats in shock.

“Oh my God KYLE!” Liz screamed. “What are you doing?!”

“I can get away,” he panted.

Michael moaned, “They’ll have the licence plate, man.”

The police chased them for several blocks before Kyle swiftly turned down a quiet suburban street. It was around two in the morning so the streets were pretty much deserted and all the house lights were off. “I’ll just pull into a house and we’ll pretend we live there okay?”

“You’re insane and we’re screwed,” Max said.

Kyle pulled up a driveway just as the police car turned down the street.

“Swap seats!” Michael howled.

Unfortunately the cop saw the switch and as soon as Liz wound down the window he asked why they’d done it.

Kyle stuttered, “Ah..ah…ah…”

“Get out of the car, son.”

The three of them watched the cop lead Kyle away and talked to him on the curb. Liz was clenching her hands on her thighs but the other two were quite amused. “Stop giggling you hyenas! We’re going to get in so much trouble.”

“No,” Michael said, “Kyle is.”

When the police cop drove off and Kyle got back in the car with his ticket they were all anxious to know what had happened.

He explained, “I got a fine for driving without a license, speeding and trespassing! A thousand dollars.”

“Oh My God,” Liz moaned.

“What are you huffing and puffing about? You don’t have to pay—I’m going to have to borrow the money off my parents,” Kyle said. “Oh Man, I’m gonna get grounded for the rest of my life!”

It was Michael, Max, Kyle’s Dad and a few of his cousins that carried the coffin out of the church and loaded it into the hearse. Everyone came outside to watch as the car drove away and then talked amongst themselves before heading off to the commemoration party.

Liz was sitting on a concrete bench with her back to everyone when Max found her. She had her legs crossed and in her right hand a half smoked cigarette rested. Her black dress and stockings succeeded in making her look even glummer.

He sat down beside her and said, “You shouldn’t be smoking.”

After a long, deep breath she replied stiffly, “It’s not going to become a habit or anything.”

He noticed that the hand holding the cigarette was trembling and that there were tear streaks on her cheeks under the rim of her sunglasses.

“If you really disapprove of this,” she continued, “then you better get rid of the flask of whisky in my hand bag.”

Despite his mood and the situation, he chuckled. It ended up sounding much like a puff of air. “Whisky, eh?”

“Hmm…” she took a deep drag and tried straightening up from her previous hunched position.

“Thank God,” he moaned and reached in for it. He unscrewed the little silver lid and pressed the hole to his lips. After a couple of deep gulps he handed it to her and she did the same. “That’s better.”

“Not really,” Liz mumbled and then reached a finger under her glasses to wipe some of the mascara from under her eyes. “Don’t you think the weather is completely wrong? We finally get a bright sunny day, not a cloud in sight and it’s today of all days.”

“I’d say that’s Kyle’s doing,” Max replied. “If he had a say, there’s no way he’d allow his guests to endure the rain. He’d do any and everything to make everyone cheer up.”

He heard her sniffle quietly. “I suppose you’re right.”

“You wanna go to the party?”

She shrugged. “If you want to.”

“I do,” he said. “I think that they’ll want us there, especially Hannah.”

“Max I don’t think I’ll be much help to her right now.” When he didn’t reply she asked, “How can you be so in control? How is it you don’t feel just…broken?”

He didn’t want to reply that he was doing this for her. After this was over he could morn the absence of his good friend but right now he’d show no weakness for her.

He also didn’t want to tell her that Sean’s body had been found in the trunk of his torn up car. He knew he’d have to tell her eventually but he didn’t know when, or more importantly—how.

There was some good news in amongst the bad. Because the forensics had discovered that Sean had been dead for two days that cleared all the suspicions that Max was involved in the murders. He’d been out of the country then and there were many people who could vouch for that. The police now believed that the murderer was aiming to frame Max—and they weren’t doing a great job of it.

“People grieve in different ways,” he finally replied to Liz’s statement.

She looked at him silently and his reflection in her black lenses greeted him. How could she not see what he was going through? He wasn’t hiding it very well because he could see it very clearly. The black lines under his eyes and the greyness of his skin said it all.

“Let’s go,” she said finally.

They walked to his new car—which he admitted was nicer than the one it had replaced. Thank you insurance.

“Max,” she said suddenly and took his hand in hers tightly. “I’m sorry for the way I’m acting. I know you need me right now because I need you just as much. You have too much to worry about without the fear that I’m going to drive myself to insanity”—her eyebrows rose with this comment—“I just want to let you know that I’m going to take a week to mourn, then I’ll be there for you, alright?”

“Sweetness, all I need is to know that you’re going to be okay.”

“I will,” she replied. “And you realize that’s exactly what I need from you too?”

Max opened his mouth to say that he’d be okay too but then shut it again. Would he really be okay?

At the party—it felt wrong to call it that—he realized just how much Kyle was like his mother. The music she played was light hearted and upbeat despite the fact that every ten minutes she was sobbing onto the shoulder of the closest person.

Liz surrounded herself with the female company so he decided to stand next to Michael on the porch and sip his beer in companionable silence. Eventually his friend said, “Mrs. Valenti makes a mean chicken pot pie don’t you think?”

“Oh yeah,” Max replied and pressed his can to his lips once more. “The potato salad’s pretty interesting though.”

“Have you tried the seasoned chicken wings?”

“Should I?”

“Yeah man, of course.” He said it as if it was a crime that he hadn’t already.

Jeremy, Alex and Brian soon joined them outside too and they all stood in a line, feet apart in a very masculine way sipping their beers and pondering the space in front of them.

It was quite a while later—after many seasoned chicken wings—Maria came out of the house with her handbag and handed Michael his jersey. “Let’s go home now,” she said.

“See you guys.”

Slowly but surely all the ladies did the same thing, coming to collect their partners and then driving away. Soon it was just Max, wondering what Liz was doing. She took a little longer and he later discovered it was because she was helping Mrs. Valenti with the leftovers.

“Ready?” she asked softly.

“Hmm,” he replied. “Let’s go.”

At home he sat her down on the couch and told her about Sean. It wasn’t right for him to keep it from her.

She took it better then he anticipated. He watched as she lowered her head to her hands and closed her eyes tightly. “There are too many people to mourn Max, how can I mourn them all at once?”

“Don’t,” he said, running his hand up and down her back soothingly. “Just worry about yourself right now.”

She leaned forward even more, now her head was on his lap. “Did you find his body before the police?”

Max nodded. “Yeah I did.”

“Was it terrible?”

“He didn’t look all bloody, if that’s what you mean. The cause of death wasn’t obvious, he looked…asleep.” He continued to rub her back up and down while trying to force away the image of Sean’s white face from his mind.

He had this feeling that the murderer, whoever they were, wanted to torture him a bit before coming with their gun, or knife, or poison. He was different from the others, he was still with Liz and they knew. They wanted him to pay for that.

~*~

Dun...Dun...Dun...Keep your eyes posted on this thread because I have a banner to show you. Just have to find the URL first lol! Hope you liked that, new part soon...Oh and new story perhaps :shock:
Last edited by nicola on Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Sixteen.

Apparently Max’s work was more important even when they were at home.

They were lying in bed going over a case, when Liz glanced at the clocked and noticed that it was past midnight. She put her files down and reached over Max to shut off the bedside lamp.

“I’ll just go into the living room if you want to sleep…” he started gathering up the folders.

“I don’t want to sleep,” she replied, pouting. “Would you rather work or would you rather get head?”

He couldn’t help but laugh. “Jesus Liz.”

“Well? I know. Tough decision,” she winked

“I have to finish this,” he kissed her lips softly. “I don’t want to but that’s life, huh?”

She was extremely displeased. “Max this is our time. I’ve helped you with it all night; can’t we just have a moment?”

“You know I’ll fall asleep afterwards and won’t finish my work.”

Liz snorted. “You certainly will.”

“Hey I resent that,” he cried. “I do not fall asleep afterwards that often.”

“I beg to differ.”

“Well maybe if you didn’t tire me out so much…” he chuckled against her lips. “If you weren’t so…fervent.”

“Ha, ha,” she suddenly lifted up the covers and crawled down his body. “I’ve decided not to give you an option…”

“Liz…I really…oh jesus, whoa….” He groaned. “Okay, okay, don’t stop.”

She chuckled and took him into her mouth fully, sucking and gliding her tongue around him pleasurably. His hands wove through her hair and clutched onto her scalp for dear life.

When he came in her mouth she licked her lips and slid back up his body. It was now that he fully gave into her, forgetting all about the work that needed completing.

“You’re the devil in disguise aren’t you?” he said.

“Hmm, I’ll be whatever you want me to be,” she winked sexily and tugged her nightgown over her head. “Please touch me, Max”

He pressed his mouth to her collar bone and kissed a trail downwards until he was suckling her nipple. “A little…demanding aren’t we?”

“I have to be sometimes,” she replied. “Especially with silly men like you.”

“Keep talking Liz and you’ll be getting nothing out of me,” he said.

“I can get the job done on my own,” she reminded him. “Just as well in fact.”

He moaned at the mental image. “Oh God, that would be so hot the watch.”

Her interest was peaked. “Oh really?”

“Oh God you have to do it now,” he shifted away from her and tossed the covers off their bodies. “I have to see this.”

“You’d seriously like that?” she asked, lying down on her back. “What would you want me to do?”

“Just what you would do normally if you were…by yourself,” he licked his lips and couldn’t help but moan loudly when her one hands slipped down in-between her thighs and the other rose to cup her breast. “I don’t think I can handle this, I think I’ll die.”

She grinned and let herself ease into a comfortable rhythm, her fingers stroking up and down and around and around. She was so wet and hot that it was easy to forget the slight discomfort of being watched so hungrily. Unconsciously, her eyes drifted closed and her mouth parted but Max clumsily spat out, “No, keep your eyes open, look at me.”

“I can’t believe you’re enjoying this,” she panted. “What’s so great about…?”

He moaned. “Oh everything.”

With her eyes locked on his she led herself to an impressive climax. As she was getting closer she rolled onto her stomach so that she was riding her hand with clenched teeth. Her toes were scrunched up and her nipples felt nice against the silky sheets.

When her walls tightened and her body gave a short spasm she heard Max’s loud puff of air, matching her own. He was sitting, still eyeing her with a boner the size of the Eiffel Tower.

“Happy now?” she asked.

“Me happy?” he managed to get out. “You looked mighty happy just then yourself.”

“What can I say?” she chuckled. “When you’re on your own it’s easy to know what you like.”

“Do you like…being on your own better?”

She sat up and crawled onto him. “No, of course not. It’s lonely that way. The satisfaction doesn’t last as long. I like being with you best.”

He couldn’t help but smile against her mouth when she gave him and loving kiss. “Have you ever…you know, while we’ve been together?”

“I don’t think so, why would I need to?”

“Why indeed,” he replied.

She laid him back and straddled his hips and he watched as she rode him. They came together and lay back, sated and complete.

“Sweetness?” he asked after a while. “Do you want a big wedding?”

“I don’t care, as long as you turn up.”

“I’ll be there,” he said. “Though I’ll admit it’s strange to think I’ll be calling you my wife. That’s…big.”

“I can’t wait,” she replied.

~*~

When Max entered his office on Tuesday morning he found that it had been ransacked. Someone must have managed to break in and completely destroy everything within the four walls the night before.

Maxdropped his brief case on the floor and stepped further in to survey the damage. He accidentally stood on a picture frame and when he looked down he saw it was his portrait of Liz that was usually kept in his top desk drawer.

“Shit,” he said and bent down to pick it up.

“Is something wrong?”

His secretary had just arrived and let out a loud gasp when she saw the state of disarray.

“Do you know who’s been in here?” Max asked stiffly.

Yahna shook her head, she was still in shock. “I left just after you, I didn’t see.”

Max’s glass desk was shattered; his antique leather couches slashed and flipped over, his paper work had been put in a metal rubbish bin and lit up. He could see the black ash and the stain on the ceiling above.

A moan escaped him.

“Who would do this to you?” Yahna asked.

“Go call the police; report the break in would you?”

While she was on the phone Max picked up the few things he may be able to save and clutched them to his chest. The only thing he could think was, “that son of a bitch is gonna pay!”

Liz was in court so he’d have to tell her over lunch. He thought of the many things he was supposed to do today and saw all of it going down the drain. At least he’d brought home most of his work last night.

The police took their time arriving. It was nearly eleven o’clock by the time they finally showed up. Some cops were downstairs getting information from the security guards as to who had come and gone last night.

Janssen even turned up which surprised Max. “Decided to do your job today?” he asked sarcastically.

He did all but roll his eyes at him. “Your case is not the only one of importance in New York, Mr. Evans.”

“Nine people are dead,” Max said simply and crossed his arms over his chest. “And I’ll be joining them soon. What are your men doing to stop that exactly? Because from what I can see…”

“There isn’t a lot we can do without any evidence. That’s why we’re here today. To answer that incessant question that plagues most murder crimes. Who did it?” He paused and quirked a brow. “We’re doing all we can for both your’s and Ms. Parker’s safety.”

They were interrupted by Yahna who popped her head into the office. “Mr. Evans there’s a call waiting for you.”

“Thank you,” he replied. “Excuse me Constable.”

After he’d dealt with the call he left the office to meet Liz for lunch. He was on the elevators and the doors were just closing when he heard Constance shout, “Hold the elevator!”

He put his hand out and the doors bounced back.

“Thanks,” she said as she entered.

They were the only two in there. After a short silence she said, “I heard about what happened to your office.”

“Hmm, with the amount of officers around I’m not surprised,” he replied.

She leaned one hip against the wall and crossed her arms. Her gaze was probing which made Max slightly uncomfortable, not to mention the smirk that suggested ill thoughts.

“Liz is in court right now?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he replied.

Her lips pressed together tightly as she nodded. “I ran into her at the hospital the other day.”

“Oh yeah?” he didn’t really care.

She waited, as if he was supposed to say something else then. “You haven’t asked about my appendicitis.”

“Oh!” he snapped out of his blurry train of thoughts. “Yeah, sorry. I’ve been extremely preoccupied. I trust everything went okay?”

“I get the impression that you don’t believe I had it?”

Max frowned. “Where would you get that idea? I’ve had no time to think of much else than…”

“Than the murders?” she asked silkily.

His brow crinkled. “Yes, because of that.”

She shrugged and chuckled. “Oh well, I understand. I can only imagine what it’s like to be looking over your shoulder, expecting the worst.”

“Mmm hmm…”

“I just don’t want you thinking that I’m looking to get time off work,” she said.

“Oh no, of course not. You’re entitled to a certain amount of sick days…”

“I love working for Liz,” she added. “We’re close friends you see.”

“I know,” Max said.

“I’d do anything for her.”

The doors opened in the lobby. “So would I,” Max quickly replied and then said goodbye.

“Wait, the other night I came around to your apartment to drop a book off for Liz and your neighbour said you’d moved.”

“Oh yeah,” he nodded. “We have.”

“Where to?”

“Ah…” Max swallowed. “We’re keeping that private. All our mail is just going to a private box. You know…for safety reasons.”

“Oh, right.”

He got to the restaurant before Liz. It was such a hot, sunny day — an irregularity for this time of year — so he got them a table outside and ordered drinks while he waited.

He saw her walking across the street ten minutes later and couldn’t help but admire the shift of her round hips under her skirt as she walked. He loved it when she wore high heels. It accentuated the sexy curve of her calves. Her clothes were supposed to make her look very powerful and threatening but he could see right past all of that.

A smile spread across her face when she saw him and she lifted her sunglasses to the top of her head. At that exact moment, gone were thoughts of the hellish morning he’s had. All he could see were her beautiful brown eyes and beguiling smile.

“Hey gorgeous.”

“Hey yourself,” he replied, leaning forward for a short kiss. “How was court?”

She took off her suit jacket before taking the seat across from him. “Oh you know…this case just seems…unwinable.”

“As your boss I must scold you for saying that. No case is unwinable.”

“Well as your friend I must tell you that you’re wrong.”

He smirked. “So you’re just my friend now?”

“Mmm hmm,” she nodded teasingly. “So anything interesting happen at the office?”

“I’ll tell you later,” he said. “Right now I don’t want to think about it.”

“Okay.”

When she leaned down to get something from her bag he couldn’t help but look down her blouse. He stared openly at the round curves of her breasts encased in the black lace of her bra. Suddenly, a shot of desire screamed through him.

“What are we eating?” she asked when she straightened up again.

He had to swallow away his sudden need for her. “Whatever you want.”

~*~

I'm sorry Kyle died guys, but it would be a little convenient if he didn't no? Hope you liked this part, let me now what you think!

~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Seventeen

“Now this is where a man of my importance should be living,” Max said.

It was late on a Thursday night and they were at one of their client’s parties. Leonard regularly needed legal support—mostly for divorces—and he wouldn’t have anyone other than Max defend him. They had a strange sort of friendship now.

“It is a beautiful apartment,” Liz replied. “There’s no comparison to our current living conditions.”

The apartment was luxurious with earth coloured walls and leather couches. It had three bedrooms, more than they needed, but Max could see himself living here very happily.

“It’s actually for sale,” said June, Leonard’s current Italian girlfriend. “Guy want-a to move furth-a out the city. You two would-a really suit this apartment, yeah.”

Liz quirked a brow at Max and then glanced back at June. “Now you’ve done it.”

“Done what?”

“Put ideas in his head.”

“We can’t move right now, it’s a big shame because I’d love to live here,” Max pouted.

Liz rubbed his lower back and then pressed her mouth to his shoulder. “Why can’t we move right now?”

“You know why…”

June said, “Oh no, Constance arrive with some person.”

“Constance?” Liz frowned. “Why would she be here?”

“She used-a date my Leonard.”

“She’s weird,” Max commented. He then finished off his glass of wine and rose to his feet. “Sometimes she makes me feel uneasy.”

“No!” Liz cried. “Constance is lovely. She’s always so kind and sweet.”

“To only those she loves,” June agreed with Max, “I don’t like her.”

“Nooo, you’re both insane. Constance! Constance hi!”

“Liz, hey!” she glanced at Max and offered a grim smile. “I didn’t know you were going to be here.”

“We were just saying the same thing,” she said. “I never knew you dated Leonard.”

“Ah…yeah, it was so long ago though. It hardly even counts.”

“It a small world,” June commented. “Max, you like-a dance with me?”

Max held his hand out for her. “Of course June. Let’s go.”

Liz turned and watched them while she talked to Constance. She smiled adoringly as Max laughed with their new friend, swaying her to the music. He was such a great guy.

“You seem much happier lately,” Constance mentioned. “Very smiley.”

Liz rested her chin in her palm. “Yeah, that’s because Max and I had a long talk about the wedding and we’ve set a date.”

“You have?” she asked. “Wow, I thought you were keeping quiet about the whole thing.”

“We don’t see much point anymore. We decided we’re just going to go to Vegas for a week—I don’t want anything fancy and we both like gambling.” She laughed and rolled her eyes. “I think that’ll be really fun.”

“Oh yeah…I suppose if you like that sort of thing.”

“What about you? How’s your love life?” Liz sipped her wine and stared at Max again. He caught her eyes and mouthed, ‘you next’.

“Well…it’s uninteresting. Although…I do have a really big crush on someone,” Constance said. “To tell you the truth, I’m head over heals in love with them.”

“Aw,” Liz put her hand on her friends arm and squeezed. “That’s so sweet. Anyone I know?”

“Yeah you know them, but I’m not willing to tell you who just yet. You might think it’s pathetic.”

“That’s unlikely, but I understand if you want to keep it private.”

Max suddenly appeared in front of her and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. “You’re coming to dance with me now. Excuse us, Constance.”

Constance didn’t say anything.

Liz allowed Max to drag her to the living room where a few other people were dancing and then wrapped her arms securely around his neck. “You look really beautiful tonight,” he murmured in her ear. “I can hardly keep my hands off you.”

She was wearing only a simple, thin strapped black cocktail dress that went to her knees.

He held her around her waist and Liz realized they must look like they were hugging rather than dancing. “You look pretty nice yourself,” she rubbed her lips against his jaw and whispered, “good enough to eat…”

“Hmm, you should remember that for later.”

“Maybe I will,” she smiled up at him.

“I have some good news for you…Harry Carmichael is going to take care of the firm next week.”

Her eyes lit up, “And…?”

In a bad attempt at an Elvis accent he said, “We’re going to Vegas baby.”

She fought the urge to squeal. “Seriously? Next week?”

“Aha,” he replied with a bright smile, “He approached me, said he knew about what had been going on and about how much work I’d been having…”

“Oh my God.”

“Said he didn’t want me to burn myself out in the first year I’m in charge.”

Liz was so happy she thought she might burst. “I can’t believe we’re getting married next week, Max! I can’t wait.” She gave him a long, hard kiss on the mouth and then buried her face in his neck.

“Me neither, Sweetness. Me neither.”

She loosened her grip on him for a second. “Wait, you have to invite your dad.”

“He’s not even in the country,” Max said.

“He is so, got back on Tuesday. Called me on my cell.”

The smile on Max’s face had disappeared now. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Because I was waiting for the right moment. I know you blame him for your mom’s death but you have to get over that.”

“Oh I do, do I?”

“I won’t marry a self-proclaimed orphan.”

“Well I’d do anything to marry you…”

She smiled and kissed him again. “Thank you my wonderful man.”

~*~

“I’m not going to be home until at least mid night tonight,” Max said. “I have a dinner meeting thing. Who would you like to keep you company? Your parents, Maria or Constable Janssen?”

“Oh the last one, please,” Liz joked. “So you’ve decided Michael and Maria are allowed to know our address?”

“No, you’ll have to blind fold them on the way there.”

“Seriously,” Liz rolled her eyes, “You think it’ll be okay?”

“They’re the only friends of yours I trust,” Max said. “Will that be okay?”

“If you come here and give me a kiss, then it will be absolutely fine.”

He walked around her desk and squatted in front of her. “I don’t really want to leave you alone with anyone.”

“Nonsense, I’ll be fine with them. They’d scare off anyone who dared enter.”

Max laughed. “Well I suppose you’re right there.”

After he’d left Liz picked up her telephone and dialled Maria’s cell phone number. She answered after the third ring. “Honey, can you come and babysit me tonight?”

Constance brought in her coffee and placed it down on the desk.

“Lizzie?” Maria laughed. “You’re too old for a babysitter!”

“Ah nah,” Liz replied. “I can’t be alone tonight, Max won’t allow it.”

“Oh…damn Liz, I wish I could but I have to work late and Michael’s already made plans with Alex.”

“Oh no.”

“What about your folks?”

“Liz, I’m not busy tonight, I can come over,” Constance suddenly interrupted.

“Maria, wait a sec,” Liz held her hand over the mouth piece, “You really wouldn’t mind?”

“No, of course not,” Constance said.

“Maria, never mind. Constance will look after me.”

“Okay sweety, sorry I couldn’t help.”

“That’s fine Maria. I’ll talk to you later.” Liz put the phone down and looked at Constance lingering in the door way. “You’re a life saver,” she said and then laughed at the irony. “Literally.”

Constance smiled. “That’s fine, I don’t mind at all.”

For the rest of the work day Liz frequently slipped into little day dreams. Only three days until her wedding! She had told Max they should personalize the ceremony by reciting their own vows but now she was having trouble writing them and wished that maybe she’d kept her mouth shut.

At lunch Isabel offered a solution. “What you should do, is completely forget about writing them and then once you get up there speak completely from your heart. No doubt you’ll be feeling nothing but overflowing happiness so it won’t be hard to think of something, surely?”

“But what if I just completely blank out?” Liz giggled.

“You won’t,” she replied. “Just think of how much you and Max have gone through together, how much you love him. And if you have trouble even there, speak of a warm memory, that’s always good.”

Liz bit her lip and thought about it. “You’re so good at this, but after so many of your own weddings I suppose it’s not surprise.”

Isabel laughed. “And I don’t regret the one of them. But I am rather annoyed you’re not having a proper gathering. I fork out for three but you—no way.”

“You can come if you want, it just won’t be as elegant as what you’re used to.”

“Most certainly not.”

~*~

Just before seven Liz and Constance arrived at the apartment. Liz was slightly worried that she hadn’t thought about concealing the whereabouts of where they were going well enough but shrugged it off. She knew now and that was that.

“You promise you won’t tell anyone the address?” she asked teasing.

“Not a soul,” Constance replied. “It’s not as nice as your last place, is it?”

Liz groaned. “Not even close. Um…do you mind if I go have a quick shower?”

After plopping down onto the sofa Constance replied, “No, shower away. I’ll just watch the box.”

~*~

I'm here! Sorry for the delay and for the parts shortness, the next one iwll be up faster and it will be longer, I promise!

Thank you so much for the nominations everyone! I saw this fic in most suspenseful and best villain, that is so cool. Thank you so much.

Also...if you haven't, check out my new fic called screen, I'd really appreciate it (*it's a wee bit quiet over there*)

hugs,
~nicola

SCREEN

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopic.php?t=6579
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Eighteen

“What’s on?”

When Liz exited her bedroom she was trying her hair with a towel. Constance turned her head and unabashedly looked from her bare feet to her flushed pink, clean face. “The OC, do you like that show?”

Liz shrugged. “I don’t watch much TV but I may have seen a couple of earlier episodes.” She put down the towel in her hands and ran her fingers through her tussled hair. “Do you want a cup of coffee or something?”

“I’m fine, thanks anyway.”

Liz made herself some herbal tea and then went and joined her on the couch. She looked around for Bruno asleep somewhere but couldn’t spot him. “You didn’t see my kitty anywhere did you?”

“Nope.”

“Hmmm…I wonder where he could be?”

“Probably sleeping under your bed or something.”

“Yeah.”

There was a brief silence and then Constance asked, “Liz, did you know that I read your novels?”

Liz licked the tea from her lips and lowered her mug to her lap. “No, I didn’t. Do you like them?”

“I love them,” Constance replied.

“Wow, I had no idea. I’m flattered.”

“I think they’re…” she thought for a moment, “expressive and very… creative. They’re much more than just…”

Liz chuckled, “Smut?”

Constance smiled. “Yeah, I suppose so. Do you ever worry that you’ll get some kind of sad, perverted male stalker?”

“Not really. But I suppose the trouble I’m getting now could be because of my novels. I’ve considered it…just depends on whether pen names work or not.” She folded her legs and with her free hand, rubbed her cold toes. “It’s not surprising that you know they’re my novels, all of my friends do.”

“Hmm, I’ve been reading them since your first one was released.”

“That long?” Liz’s eye brows rose. “Really?”

“Yeah, but I didn’t know they were yours until I started working for you.” Constance kicked off her shoes and turned her whole body to face Liz. She drew her legs up to her chest and didn’t tear her eyes away from her face for anything.

“I wonder how many people read them modestly and how many people are open with it,” Liz said.

“I read them openly, what’s to be ashamed about? Everyone thinks and does sexual stuff; it’s a part of life.”

“Yeah,” Liz nodded, “But not everyone has such an open view on what goes on in the bedroom…or the bathroom…or anywhere for that matter.”

Constance laughed. “Yeah, and that’s why they’re called Prudes.”

Liz smiled into her coffee and turned her gaze back to the TV screen where, some curly haired guy was making out with some dark haired girl. She watched for a moment and sipped her tea peacefully when suddenly Constance shocked her by asking, “How many people do you think touch themselves while reading your novels?”

“Ah…I don’t know,” she answered hesitantly.

“Does the thought of that bother you?”

Liz glanced at Constance’s amused face. “No, I suppose I’d be flattered. If my imagination can affect people in that way—in any way—it’s not a bad thing.”

It was silent for just a breath and then Constance said, “It affects me in that way…I would be lying if I didn’t, you know…after reading one.”

Liz couldn’t look at her then. She was embarrassed for what she was admitting. It would seem that Constance was a very open person but Liz didn’t think they knew each other quite well enough to discuss such a thing. After debating on what to say for a minute she settled with, “Ah, as I said, I’m flattered. I’m glad you enjoy them, that’s what they’re there for.”

Constance scratched her head and studied Liz’s squirming with enjoyment. “Are you cold? You have goose bumps. You can lean on me if you want; body heat is the best source of warmth.”

“I’m fine thank you.”

“Can I lean on you?”

Liz swallowed. “Ah, alright, if you want. I could get you a blanket.”

“No need.” Constance leaned forward and rested her head on Liz’s shoulder with her body snuggled into her arm. A little chuckle escaped her. “You smell clean…”

Liz didn’t say anything, she felt slightly uncomfortable with this arrangement.

“Anyway,” Constance said, “What I wanted to ask was…what about you? How do you feel when you write your novels?”

Through stiff lips Liz replied that her writing didn’t do much for her. Unless her inspiration was Max, but she didn’t tell Constance that.

“Oh, well that’s a shame…”

“I suppose it is really.”

Liz hoped she’d drop it then, and thankfully she did. They watched the show for a while and everything was fine, when suddenly Constance snaked her arms around Liz’s waist and pressed her lips to her neck. In a low, husky tone that Liz had never heard Constance use before she said, “You know what right now reminds me of…?” she dragged her lips down Liz’s jaw and swiped her tongue against her skin. “That scene in ‘Under my Sheets.’ That’s got to be my favourite book.”

“Constance, what are you doing—?” Liz tried to shift away but Constance held her tightly.

“It’s a huge fantasy of mine to do something like that…with you,” she whispered.

“I’m not inter—”

Suddenly Constance slipped a hand up Liz’s shirt and reached for one of her breasts. “You must secretly desire it as well, to have thought up such a vivid…”

“No Constance, I don’t. I’m with Max.”

She began fondling her chest and so Liz, completely taken aback, quickly ripped herself away from her and stood up.

“I think you should leave.”

“Liz…don’t get angry. I’m sorry; maybe I was a bit forward…”

Maybe? Of course you were.”

“I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” Constance tried to explain herself, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. It’s just…”

Liz suddenly remembered the conversation at the party the other day. “It’s not me that you…have a thing for is it?”

Constance nodded.

“I had no idea.”

“Of course you don’t, you’re to happy with Max,” there was much bitterness in her tone.

“How long have you…?”

Constance wrapped her arms around her chest and looked down at her feet. “A while. For some reason I thought you might feel the same way. Some how.”

Liz sat back down besides her—leaving quite a distance between them. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t. I’m not…”

“I’m not a lesbian either; I’ve never felt this before.”

Liz could see that she was embarrassed. “Why me?”

“Why not you? You’re perfect.” A loud sigh escaped her and she reluctantly rose to her feet. “Are you sure you don’t feel something?”

Liz hesitated. “Ah…I couldn’t do that to Max.”

Constance knelt in front of her and, in one last attempt at persuasion, leant forward and kissed her passionately on the lips. Liz, for unknown reasons, let her have her way for just a moment and then pulled back.

“He wouldn’t know. And if you couldn’t lie, then don’t. I bet he would like it.”

“I’m sorry…no,” said Liz.

“You want to, I can tell. It’s so obvious. Look, I wouldn’t expect a relationship if you don’t want. Just a one time thing.”

Liz bit her lip. “I would be lying if I said the idea doesn’t…intrigue me a little. But that doesn’t mean I’d do it.”

This news saddened Constance but it also gave her a little bit of hope. “Just think about it, heck talk to Max about it if you want.”

After a few more moments she left. Liz remained on the couch for a long time, staring blankly at the television and then went to bed.

~*~

“Something happened last night…”

Max looked up from the magazine he was reading and glanced at Liz. They were on the aeroplane heading for Vegas, in business class, and they’d be landing in ten minutes.

“Yeah?” he asked in surprise.

“Constance…she…”

“When did you see Constance?”

Liz tucked her hair behind her ears. “She came over, Maria couldn’t so she offered. I didn’t think it would matter.”

“Liz,” Max looked horrified, “Why? You know how I feel about her.”

“I know, but she was there and I was desperate.”

Max wasn’t happy. “So what happened?”

“She came onto me.”

Liz watched his expression with pursed, amused lips. “Like…how?” he asked, obviously wanting more of a detailed mental image.

“Um, well…”

She explained everything that had happened and then waited for him to offer his opinion. The first thing he said was, “You told her it aroused you?”

She nodded.

“Does it?” he asked in amazement.

Liz didn’t think it was that big of a deal. “Oh come on, any one in their right mind would be intrigued…I just thought you should know what happened.”

“Oh my God, you want to try it don’t you?”

Liz bit her lip. “Max, I’m with you. It’s still cheating even if it is with someone of the same sex.”

“What if I don’t mind?”

Her eyes widened. “No! I couldn’t do that. It’s…weird. Besides, Max she thinks she’s in love with me. If I did anything like that I’d be leading her on.”

Max put a hand on her knee and squeezed. “I’m not going to try and convince you Liz, I just don’t think it would be a good thing for us to be married with you curious about something like that.”

“I don’t want to talk about this anymore,” she said. “I’m not curious, forget I ever said anything. I just want to marry you and be with you for the rest of my life.”

“No complaints here.”

He gave her lips a soft kiss and then went back to reading. Liz however, found it impossible to entertain herself. “Max…have you written vows?”

“Yes,” he replied without looking at her. “Have you?”

“Ah, sure.”

They hired a Cadillac from the rental company in the airport because Max had always wanted to ‘cruise’ down the Sunset Strip in one. After loading their things into the trunk they went on their way with the top down and the dessert sun beaming down on them.

Liz put on her sunglasses and turned the radio up loud. She was glad Max had had this idea, it was very nice.

“Do you want to get something to eat?” he asked suddenly.

His grin was contagious. “Let’s just get room service. I want to get to our room and the plans I have can’t be carried out in public.”

“Oh really?”

“Hmm…” she leaned over and gave his cheek a quick peck. “I love you, you’re perfect.”

“I love you.”

~*~

They were staying at the Greek Isles Hotel and Casino which had a chapel that was already expecting them for the next day.

On their way to their room they went and peeked inside to see what it looked like. It had ‘classic Greek and Italian-themes of soft neutral colors, hand painted murals, columns, and floral arrangements’.

“We’re practically in Greece,” Liz joked. “Who needs to go to the real place?”

Max chuckled. “Ah…sure, exactly the same.”

In their room they threw down their bodies on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. “Want to go in the Jacuzzi?”

“Nah,” Liz said and crawled on top of him. “Right here is fine.”

He smiled against her lips. “How about we order the room service first so that it’ll be here later…”

“Okay,” she said with a smile.

While he was on the telephone with the desk downstairs Liz went to the bathroom and freshened up. When she was done he was waiting for her, his legs dangling over the side of the bed. “Come here…” he murmured.

She crawled on top of his lap and with her legs on either side of his hips they kissed. Max’s hands were just weaving through her hair when he asked teasingly, “You’re not thinking about Constance are you?”

She pulled away in shock and looked at him with horror. “Max! You don’t actually think that do you?”

“No,” he laughed, “Of course not. But I can’t promise I won’t be thinking of the two of you together during.”

“You actually think during?” she asked with amusement.

“Only sometimes.”

“As I suspected.” She cupped his face. “I think I need to make something clear. What I felt last night when Constance…came onto me, it was pure intrigue and arousal. What I feel for you is eternal love, you know that right?”

He smiled. She didn’t need to explain herself; he knew that she wasn’t thinking about a relationship with the girl. He told her that. “Sweetness, I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel like that with other people but it means nothing, I know that. What I’ve got at home is so much better.”

“Exactly, I’m just curious. Anyway, I felt something else at first, it was unease. She…frightened me.”

Max ran his hands up and down her back. “I know, I’ve always this vibe about her. Maybe it was the whole her in love with you thing.”

“Maybe.” Liz licked her lips. “But I don’t know but there was this whole…possessive angriness about her at first.”

“Do you think she could possibly be the…?”

“I’m having such a hard time even considering it; she’s so sweet and kind. That’s how I’ve always known her.”

“Remember what Janssen said?” he stroked her cheeks, “we have to forget everything we think we know about the people close to us.”

“I suppose so. I mean, I had no idea she felt like that about me.”

“Exactly.”

~*~

Heyhey, thanks for the patience guys. I hope you liked this new part, oooohhh it's getting close to the big climax!!! :twisted:
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Eighteen.

A young Liz stared across the lunch room table at a young Kyle and his current girlfriend. They were kissing quite grotesquely and she made a dramatic disgusted noise before shooting Max a glance that said, “Why can’t they just leave?”

He was feeling much the same and, in a way that made Liz giggle, elbowed Kyle in the side and then apologized profusely as if it had been an accident.

Kyle looked annoyed, especially when the girl said, “I’ve got to go anyway sweetie, I’ll see you tonight?”

“Yeah, of course,” he replied.

Once she’d gone Liz asked why he always had to be so public with his ‘affection’.

“Why not?” he asked with a grin. “Just because you’re jealous.”

“I so am not,” she hissed, “You’re just annoying for always necking in front of everyone, like you’ve got something to prove.”

“Yeah man, what’s up with that?” Max asked.

“You guys don’t know what you’re talking about, just shut up.”

“Why don’t
you?” Liz asked immaturely. “And while you’re at it, quit necking in front of us. It makes me want to barf.”

“Jealous.”

“You wish!”

Max sighed. “God, you guys are annoying.”

“I’m leaving,” Kyle stood up, “I’ve got cooler people to hang out with anyway.”

“Yeah, people who like to neck in front of each other? You’d fit right in!”

Max chuckled, “Liz, you’re so lame.”

“I know,” she replied, “but I’m not as lame as him.”

“That’s true.”

“Actually…I’m glad he’s gone, because there is something very important I wish to discuss with you and I couldn’t do it with them present.”

“Oh yeah? What?”

“Maria and Angelo, did you know that they had sex? And Kyle had sex with his girlfriend too,” she hissed, “It’s like it’s some kind of fever.”

Max’s eyebrows rose, “So?”

“You’ve never done it before have you?”

He averted his eyes. “Well, no…not exactly. But I’ve done other stuff.”

She sighed. “I’ve never done it either. But I was wondering…”

“What?”

“I think we should do it.”

Max had just finished sipping his drink and her statement caused him to choke. After he’d finished coughing and pounding his chest he cried, “What? Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “Why not?”

“Best friends don’t have sex.”

“Well they should. Maria said it’s really awkward the first time anyway. I wouldn’t be embarrassed with you.”

“Wouldn’t it be weird? Like weirder than normal?”

“No,” Liz shook her head. “Come on! I want to know what it’s like!”

Max thought about it for a long moment. “Ah…I guess. I mean, I suppose if you want to…”

“Yay!” she cried.

“I remember that,” he purred and buried his face in her neck, “I was so shocked, I couldn’t believe you were actually serious.”

“Hmm…” Liz sat up and stretched her arms over her head. “I’m just full of surprises aren’t I?”

She went to get a glass of water, strutting across the hotel room in the nude. Max rolled onto his stomach and watched her with his chin resting on his arms. He felt his cock swell at the sight of her seductively curvy and alluring body. “Liz…”

She turned to look at him as she poured water from a glass jug into a cup. “Yeah?”

“You haven’t written your vows yet have you?”

She froze. “What gives you that idea?”

“I know you very well,” he replied, “and I don’t think you have.”

She hurled herself back onto the bed to explain herself, “I will, I just haven’t had a chance yet, that’s all…”

“Liz,” he laughed. “If you don’t want to, don’t. I don’t care.”

“I do want to. I’m just having a little trouble…and don’t think it’s because I don’t love you and there aren’t any words, it’s the opposite. I love you too much and it’s hard to express it articulately.”

“Sweetness, I don’t care if you ‘express it articulately’. I don’t want you to be concerning yourself, I want this week to be completely carefree.”

“I’m sorry. I really am.”
He cupped her cheeks and drew her mouth down on his. “There’s nothing to be sorry about. Apart from the fact that you haven’t got me inside of you right now, which is where I desperately want to be.”

“Again?” she smiled. “My goodness.”

“I can’t stop touching you.”

She tossed the covers off him and draped herself over his hard body. He moaned in delight and wrapped his arms around her. “Better?” she asked.

“Oh yes.”

Max ran his fingers up and down her spine seductively, realizing he wanted to do the same thing with his tongue.

“Some kind of weird massage, eh?” she asked when he lowered his mouth.

“It’s me wanting to taste your soft skin.”

She closed her eyes and murmured quietly, feeling very relaxed and ready.

His hands came around to play with her nipples.

She shuddered. “I want to ride you.”

He moaned and readied himself on top of the ruffled blankets. “Fuck, yes…”

Seconds later she was straddling him with her hands resting on his chiselled chest. Her grinding started off slowly; absorbing him as she torturously lifted and lowered herself on him. “You like that?” she asked.

Her only response was a loud groan.

As her arousal grew, she became bolder in her movements. What started out as a long sensuous grind became a frantic, erotic ride. She moved like she would on a mechanical bull, holding on for dear life. Her head was thrown backwards and her hands moved to rest low on his thighs, next to his knees. Their pants were loud in the quiet hotel suite.

Max watched her supple breasts bob with her body and he wanted to touch them. She was too far away from his grasp so he simply held her knee’s tightly and grinded his teeth as he neared completion.

Liz always came when she was on top. She felt empowered which had always served as an aphrodisiac to her.

“Oh Max!” she cried.

“Don’t stop…jesus!

“Ohhhh! Ohhh!”

Sweat beaded on her skin and he watched with fascination as one slid down in the valley between her breasts, right down to her navel. He came soon after that, followed by her.

“Oh my God…”

She lay down on her back beside him and then rolled onto her stomach to bury her face in the pillows. He closed his eyes and tried to swallow away his harsh breathing but could not. The image of her was bright behind his lids.

They were quiet for a long time, simply recovering. It was him that finally said, “Wanna go gamble?”

“Yes,” she replied instantly, “I was just thinking about that.”

“Thanks.”

She turned her face to look at him and smiled. “That and you.”

“I should think so. Gimme’ a kiss.”

~*~

“Here comes the bride,” Max sung, “All dressed in whiiiiiiite.”

“If you continue to do that, I’ll have to hurt you,” Liz said as they walked toward the elevators.

He smirked. “Just trying to get in the wedding mood. Which I admit, you don’t seem to be doing at all. Why don’t you want a proper dress?”

“Because if I’m going to have a proper dress, we may as well have a proper wedding, which I don’t want. It’s all a bunch of unnecessary hoopla.” She sighed and rested her head on his shoulder. “All I care about is being legally bonded to you by the end of the day.”

“Yeah, but what can I do to help you feel the ‘cheer’?” he asked.

“You already did everything,” she looked up at him adoringly, “I think maybe an expensive hair appointment and a massage would be nice. How about you go meet the parental units alone and I go do that?”

The elevator shuddered as they reached the ground floor. Together they stepped out onto the noisy casino floor. “I want you to do that if it’ll cheer you up, but on the other hand how could I possibly entertain your mom and dad, plus my dad—all on my own?”

“You’ll do fine,” she reached up and kissed him. “Pretty please? This way I’ll look extra-pretty for you this afternoon.”

He cupped her cheeks. “You’re always extra-pretty, sweetness. I’ll let you go, if you promise me one little thing.”

“Depends…”

“We can go straight back to our room after the ceremony. I don’t want to hang around, eating or whatever. I just want to be alone with you.”

“Just one glass of wine with mom and dad and then I’m all yours.”

“I think I can last one glass…”

She smiled. “So you should. I’m going to leave now…I’ll meet you at the chapel, say at three-thirty?”

“How romantic, you could have just said, ‘I’ll meet you at the office, say about nine o-clock?’ A wedding, really isn’t all that special to you is it?”

“You’re special to me,” she replied, “I’ll see you later. Love you.”

“Hmm, I love you too.”

While getting her hair done, Liz desperately tried to conjure up vows, but they still wouldn’t come to her. “I’m screwed,” she told the hairdresser.

“Nah, you’ll do fine. This is Vegas, who’ll notice?”

Now that one part of her was prettied-up, she kind of felt like she wanted the other half to be prettied-up too. But not to the extent of a normal wedding, maybe she’d just stroll by the dress shops on the way back to the Greek Isles…

~*~

Everything went off with a bang. With their three guests all watching adoringly, Liz and Max stood in front of each other at the altar, their hands joined in front them, and pledged to spend eternity together.

“There isn’t a time in my life that I can’t remember you being beside me. When I die and whoever’s up there asks me what I’ve done with my existence, I want to say that I spent it loving and breathing you. You’ve been my best friend since we were young and now you’re going to be my wife while we’re old. I can just see us, arguing over who has more wrinkles and whose large white underwear that is on the floor. No one gets me like you, no one believes in me like you and no one will make me happy like you.”

Max slipped the wedding ring onto her finger and studied her tearful face.

“We’re going to last forever.”

“Knock on wood,” she whimpered.

He chuckled. “Yeah.”

“I think we will too. You don’t know how worried I’ve been about not knowing what to say right now, and everyone’s assured me it will be fine. They were all right. How hard can it be to tell you what I feel? I’ve always been able to tell you everything.”

She smiled and ducked her head shyly.

“I just want you to know that, I want to hold your hand under the dinner table, like my parents did. I want to argue over whose turn it is to cook. I want to race around the supermarket on trolleys with you. I want to laugh at your bed-hair and cry when you cry. I want to celebrate our wins and overcome our losses. I want you to be my partner, I want you to be my best friend, and I want you to my husband. But most of all, I want you to be the one that survives.” Tears spewed down her cheeks as she thought about all her ex’s. “Max, do you hear me? I want you to be the one that survives.”

“I will be,” he replied, drawing her closer.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

The priest cleared his throat. “This is the part when you say I do.”

Liz laughed and they both said in unison, “I do.”

~*~

Sorry it took so damn long guys, I've been proccupied :D ! Hope you like it,

~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Nineteen.

Max awoke to Liz shaking his arm gently. He reluctantly opened his eyes and sat up in his chair. “Are we there?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “Come on, the faster we get off here, the faster we can get our things and go home.”

It was around ten in the morning and the two stumbled towards the baggage claim with droopy eyes. They’d been up all night enjoying the rest of what Las Vegas had to offer and then boarded their plane around eight.

Neither of them had wanted to leave, especially since they knew what they would be coming back to—constant worry, panic and fear. However, they knew it was inevitable. They couldn’t hide out forever, even if it had been bliss to clear their heads of everything.

Ten minutes passed and most other passengers around them had claimed their things by now. Liz rested her head on Max’s arm and let her eyes slide shut for a few moments. “I bet yours is last,” she grumbled.

“Knowing my luck, yes. It will be.”

Only Max’s bag never came and soon they were the only two standing waiting. Max sighed and called out to one of the ladies at the counter. She simply shrugged at his inquiry and said they’d probably be out in a moment.

“Fuck the fucking fuckers,” he gritted his teeth.

Liz opened her eyes and watched as he marched up to the counter and started talking rather aggressively with the staff until they finally picked up their little while telephone and looked into the matter. She slumped down onto her suitcase and propped her chin on her hand. It looked like things were going to take a while.

Fifteen minutes later, Liz was still sitting patiently on her suitcase while Max continued his tirade. Even after Liz had called out, “Max, here it is,” he continued to growl and bark like an angry dog.

Finally he came and got his bag, took her hand and marched them towards the taxi stand. During the ride home they nearly fell asleep again but thankfully the noise of the traffic was enough to keep them conscious.

Almost immediately after entering their home, they removed their shoes and tossed their bags in the corner. Liz couldn’t even manage a word before snuggling into her pillow and Max had to tuck the blanket around her little frame. Soon after, he joined her in slumber.

At around six in the afternoon they were woken up the loud, insistent ringing of the telephone.

Stumbling into the kitchen, he fumbled around like a hung-over drunk before finally finding the phone.

“Ah, yah?” he answered, unable to form a coherent sentence.

“Oh good, you’re home. It’s me Maria.”

Max frowned hoping that the conversation would be short.

She wanted them (as in he and Liz) to come for dinner around eight. He was very tempted to say no but she was incredibly persistent. No tomorrow will not do.

“You have to pick up Bruno anyway. I’ll see you then.”

Max made his way back to bed where his sweetness was breathing softly against her pillow. She looked so inviting, maybe he’d just snuggle into her for a little while and wrap his arms around her…and kiss her shoulder… and stroke her stomach…

Her stirring woke him an hour later. “Oh shit a brick,” was the first thing he said, “We’re supposed to be at Maria’s!”

She was alarmed but still too sleepy to make any loud exclamations. “What? No…I’m staying right here.”

“I promised. We can’t get out of it. You know they just want to congratulate us on binding ourselves together in perpetual wedding bliss.”

“Eh…”

“Which action was that directed at, perpetual wedding bliss or Maria’s?”

“Both if you make me get up.”

His eyes twinkled devilishly. “Come on, we’ll share the shower.”

They did end up going but they were late so the surprise party participants weren’t as excited about yelling welcome as they had been half an hour before.

“Oh Maria, a party!” Liz hugged her friend. “You didn’t have to go to so much trouble.”

“Someone had to,” she commented wryly. “Just look at the table of presents.”

“Wow.”

All their friends, family and colleagues were there. It seemed like there wasn’t a single person missing.

“Oh Max,” Liz said, slipping her hand into his tenderly, “don’t we have the best friends in the world?”

“And the best enemies,” he mumbled, spotting Constance. “Look who it is.”

She peered at her secretary and got caught in the act. Constance smiled grimly and raised her wine glass in congratulations and then looked away, leaving Liz feeling extremely embarrassed and uncomfortable. “Remember,” she said softly to Max, “we don’t have enough to suspect her yet.”

“I changed my mind, I think we do.”

“I’ll suspect you in a minute mister. Do you want a drink?”

“I’m coming with you, if you think you’re getting a moment alone then you’re wrong.”

Max,” she said with a pointed look. “These are our friends.”

“These people could all be frauds. Don’t argue with me, I’m not going to change my mind.”

He stayed by her side for the whole evening, just like he’d promised. He acted like an over-cautious bodyguard, suspecting everyone and every little move they made. Even in a warm, cosy and sweet smelling place like Maria’s he managed to make everything seem dangerous.

“Shouldn’t it be me who’s worrying? You’re the one who’s mostly in danger.”

“That’s not how I see it.”

Despite his mood it was a wonderful evening. Liz loved being the centre of attention and everyone seemed to want to talk to them about the wedding and their week in Vegas.

Constance seemed to avoid them which was fine because they both didn’t really want to talk to her anyway. Well…Max did, but not with Liz present. And he had to keep his plans quiet because Liz would not be happy if she knew that he was going to say.

Eventually they caught a cab home with bags and bags of gifts and a jumpy kitten that seemed very happy to see them again. It even snuggled up in-between them on the bed, much to Max’s distaste.

The next day was a work day so back to the office they went. Their relationship as boss and employee continued because being husband and wife was prohibited between the hours of eight and six, or so they had agreed. Max tried to make this very clear but Liz made it a point to continually kiss his fresh toothpaste mouth the whole elevator ride up to the fifth floor.

“See you for lunch?” she asked cheerfully when it bounced to a halt.

“It will have to be a late lunch, I’m busy until two. Can you wait that long?”

“For you, yes,” she said in a completely love-stricken way.

He smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist for a quick squeeze. “I like this mood you’re in. Keep it up.”

“Okay.”

While in the coffee room half an hour later, Liz got cornered by a very upset Constance. She’d had her back to the door for just a moment and then Constance was behind her standing uncomfortably close.

“Did you think about what I said?” she asked desperately.

Liz swallowed. The milk carton was crushed up against her chest. “Constance, I just got back from my wedding. What do you think?”

“Did you tell Max?”

“Um…well, yes. He is my husband now after all.”

“Are you trying to rub it in my face?” her forehead crinkled in hurt. “I take it he isn’t happy with the idea.”

“It wouldn’t matter either way; nothing’s going to happen between us. I’m sorry.”

Liz didn’t know whether she should be scared or not. She tried to get past her secretary but she kept her in place without too much strain. “Liz…it’s not like this is an easy thing for me.”

“I know, but I can’t compromise my happiness for yours. You realize that don’t you?” she paused and then added quietly, “You wouldn’t do anything incredibly stupid I hope.”

“What are you accusing me of?” Constance asked in horror.

“Nothing, I’m just saying…I think it wouldn’t be very smart for you to continue pursuing this. You should try and move on.”

Constance gritted her front teeth together for a long moment and then stepped back and hurried out of the room.

Liz made her coffee and then on the way back to her office went past Max’s to see if he had time for a quick word about what had happened. Unfortunately, his secretary informed her that he was in an important meeting and wouldn’t be out for at least another hour and a half.

“That’s fine; I’ll catch up with him later,” she said.

~*~

“So have there been any breakthrough’s on the case?”

Constable Janssen took a moment to answer. “We think we might have something. But it’s not concrete enough to go on.”

“Oh really? Well what is it?”

“I’m not at liberty to say. But don’t worry you’ll be one of the first people to find out if we find out who it is.”

“Okay,” he wasn’t happy, but what could he do? “I want you to look into someone as a possible candidate. Her names Constance O’Hara.”

“What reason do we have to suspect this woman?”

“Well she—” Max looked up and saw Liz heading back to the table. “I can’t say right now. I’ll get back to you.”

He’d just slipped his cell phone back into his pocket when Liz arrived. “Who were you talking to?” she asked with a smile.

“Doesn’t matter. God you look gorgeous, give me a kiss.”

She sat down and let him plaster pathetically sweet kisses across her plush mouth. Even after he’d given it a rest he remained close to her, fiddling with the diamond pendant hanging around her neck. “I can’t believe I’m married to you,” he said. “I’m so lucky.”

She favoured him with more bashful smiles. He really couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. In the candlelit restaurant she seemed to glow as seductively as the little flickering flames did. Her hair was down and curled like shavings of creamy chocolate and her lips were painted a deep, lush red that matched the colour of her blouse. He wanted to suck them; surely they were as sweet-tasting as they looked?

She was just delicious.

I’m lucky,” she said. “You obviously don’t know how beautiful you are. Everyone’s wondering what I’m doing here with you. Where’s his supermodel girlfriend, they’re all asking,” she added teasingly, as her fingers sensually caressed his hand.

He chuckled. “She’s right in front of me. Do you want some more wine?”

She smiled and nodded. “Yes, I do. Fill me up.”

As he poured her glass of wine, under the table, Liz slipped her shoe off her foot and ever so slowly slipped her foot up the leg of his trousers.

The instant he felt her foot, Max gave a little start, almost spilling the wine.

“Liz,” he hissed, his teeth clenching together. Her seductive stroking was slowly driving him insane. It was taking all his willpower not take her then and there on the table in the middle of a crowded restaurant.

They lingered over dessert, not in any hurry to leave.

“That place seems to breed anxiety,” Liz commented when the conversation turned to their new apartment. “

When I think home, I think our old apartment.”

“I miss it too,” Max said coolly. “But we had to move on eventually.” He took a swipe at her peaches and cream with rich chocolate sauce as a dip.

“It would be easier to handle the loss if our new home was a little nicer.”

“Yeah, that’s true.”

She took the napkin and dabbed the corner of his mouth with it. “You have cream…right there…”

“Let’s go home,” he finally said, covering her hand with his. “I want to be alone with you.”

“Okay.”

On the cab ride home, she rested her head on his shoulder as she watched the passing traffic. She thought about how silly it had been, him buying a car. They’d barely used it. But if it made him happy…if it compensated for their living conditions…she supposed she was okay with it.

His hand stroked her palm and it made her want to snuggle even closer to him. She hoped they would always be like this.

“How about you go and take all of your clothes off and I’ll just check the messages?” she asked when they walked in the door.

“Only if you promise to be quick,” he smiled and put some music on. Tony Bennett’s, “The way you look tonight” began to play. She got what he was trying to say and offered him a dreamy look.

He began backing towards the bedroom, unbuttoning his shirt…softly he started to sing along with the tune…

Liz was just pressing the button on the answering machine when there was a loud bang. Her head shot up, just in time to see the smile on Max’s mouth fade and the sudden loss of colour in his cheeks as he fell forwards. He was just reaching the floor when a shadow come out from behind the door way.

~*~

oohhh so impatient aren't we? haha, hope you like this. If the cliff hanger doesn't kill you, the next part might. haha

~nicola