Scars of White (AA, CC, MATURE) Part 49 1/29/09(WIP)

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Hey everyone! So this took a little longer than I thought it would in the beta-ing process... that I don't think I'll be able to post the following couple of chapters soon since finals are next week and I'll be traveling right after that. I'll try my best to get those up. Thank you all for your patience and your wonderful comments.

Ellie- Thank you for the feedback! I hope this part will infuse a little more hope!

Flamehair- glad I could! ;)

clueless- Thank you! I certainly hope I can.

magikhands- :oops: thanks for the wishes. And about GA-- of course-- first thing I noticed! :D [and heh heh yes "all hail the Christmas Nazi!"]

cherie- I'm glad you think evil authors rock, since I apparently seem to be becoming more and more of one as this story progresses... but I will say certain things that you've all been asking for should start happening soon!

And the agents don't have a clear idea where Michael, Isabel or Liz are. But... by increasing their manpower now for that and having still kept tabs on Kyle and Maria (as well as all the parents) they just might start to have an idea...

But then again lets see how far they get. :twisted:

Scottie- Thanks as always for your ever faithful daily check-in's (and for the wishes :oops: )! And I have to agree, I thought of her in GA than in Roswell when I looked at that banner too! It really is amusing that the characters are so similar, though I think Izzy seems to have a bit more of a temper ;).

Previously...

Her eyes were glazed as they fluttered open, but it was enough for him to connect. Within moments he was pulled into her memories, her waning life force slowly gathering strength from his. But he could still feel her life slipping away. He concentrated harder, knowing he had to save her—even if it meant losing his own. As his energy poured into her through his hand he began to feel a pull from deep within him. But then the sudden jolt of pressure in his stomach flung his mind back into reality. He took in her once again flawless skin, releasing a quick sigh of relief, “You’re all right. You’re all right.” [From The Pilot]
~ ~

The darkness began to fade around her as swirls of white light replaced it. She turned around in confusion and apprehension. *What was going on?* Just as the thought came to mind, she stood in shock. The image blurred in the swirling light appearing like a ghostly oasis. She couldn’t move, frozen in disbelief. But then she heard a voice she never thought she’d hear again call out, “Isabel?” Before she could respond the darkness came back in a forceful rush.

Her eyes blinked open refocusing on a disconcerted Kyle. Her mouth opened and closed silently, her voice still held captive by her shock. But finally it escaped to utter one devastated word, “Max?”

PART THIRTY

An hour earlier
Canada- Liz and Isabel’s house- Isabel’s bedroom

As soon as her brother’s name had escaped her lips, Isabel felt as if all the air had left her, had left the room. She sat in shock, her hands still in Kyle’s as she tried to focus on the blurry image of her brother that was already fading from her mind. Though the haunting sight began to disappear, his voice, her brother’s voice rang clearly in her mind. It hadn’t been Kyle, it wasn’t a trick…

Isabel snatched her hands out of Kyle’s now lax grip to hug herself as she tried to gain control over herself. But she could no longer think clearly. All she could think was—it was real. This was no mind warp.

Max was alive.

Her brother was alive.

And he was in more trouble than she could ever imagine.

“Oh God…” she sobbed out; her hands slipping from their wrapped position to cover her face.

Kyle felt the stinging sensation prick his eyes as he watched Isabel completely unravel before him. He gently reached out towards her shaking figure, but then her head shot up.

“We have to try again. I have to talk to him. I have to see him.” Her words raced out of her, denying her time to breathe.

“Isabel.”

“You have to help me get in again.” Her eyes wild with panic, she laid her hands out waiting for him to take it, refusing to answer his call of her name.

“Isabel.”

“You have to help me!” Her voice rose before she just collapsed into him, sobbing against his chest. Her cries seemed to breathe out the words— you have to, as her tears seeped through his shirt.

“I will, Iz. I promise. You just… you have to calm down first. We won’t be able to help him in this state.”

She couldn’t say anything as she continued to sob, the horrible truth continuing to crash into her mind and soul.

She had left Max to a fate worse than death.

~ ~ ~
“…help me!”

The best friends both turned towards the hallway hearing the muffled shout. In moments they were outside Isabel’s door about to barge in when they heard Kyle comfort Isabel.

They lightly knocked on the door, unsure if they should intrude. After a few seconds of hearing Isabel’s cries they heard Kyle answer, “Come on in.”

Slowly they pushed the door opened, their gazes filled with confusion and concern.

“Are you guys okay?” Liz finally asked in the thick silence as Isabel attempted to compose herself.

Kyle only glanced towards Isabel as if silently asking her for permission to answer.

Sniffling, Isabel answered instead. “It’s not a mind warp, Liz.”

Liz stood frozen unable to process Isabel’s hushed words. Somehow she found her voice to ask a strangled, “wh—what?”

“I saw him. Kyle and I tried together and I—”

“Wait,” Maria interrupted, not understanding. “I thought you guys tried before and it didn’t work?”

Kyle joined in then explaining, “That was when we were just mentally linked, I think we needed more power to break through whatever Max is blocking us with. The point is we finally did it. Well not completely, Isabel wasn’t able to see until…” Kyle trailed off as the memory of the agents shooting Max up gripped his mind.

“Until what?” Liz’s voice was flat as she focused all of her energy to stop the flood of emotions that threatened to overwhelm her.

Holding her gaze Kyle replied, “Until they drugged him.”

Before Liz or Maria could respond further, Isabel pleaded, “We have to contact him again, Kyle.”

“I know, Iz.” But he hesitated to do it so soon after the last. The drug was what caused Kyle to lose the connection this time and then… if the agents drugged Max who knew what they might be doing to him at this moment. Observing the precarious emotional state Isabel was in, he was extremely worried that whatever she would see, would feel; would push her over the edge.

“Kyle?” Isabel questioned again.

“Let’s get you some water first, okay?” he hedged.

Just as Isabel began to protest, Maria jumped at the opportunity to move. “I’ll get it.”

Swiftly she left for the kitchen, her own breaths beginning to spasm as the part of her heart that she believed to have died the day she bid Max goodbye seemed to beat again—sporadically, with hope.

Liz, remained in her spot, as she desperately searched Kyle’s and Isabel’s faces. Why did she feel nothing? Why was her soul just empty? How could she not know he was alive?

Memories of the first time she felt Max die flew in her mind leading her to one conclusion. She needed more than even Isabel’s confirmation of what Kyle continued to state. She needed to see him for herself, not just a projected image from either of them. She needed to feel his soul—the lost half of her own soul.

“Take me with you.”

“What?” Kyle asked in confusion, while Isabel glanced up through reddened eyes.

“When you try again, take me too.”

“Liz…”

“I need to know. I’m sorry that I can’t just believe you or even you, Isabel,” she briefly turned to face Isabel before meeting Kyle’s understanding gaze again. “I just… I need to know.” She couldn’t explain it better to them; she couldn’t express the need to relieve her soul of the deadness in its depths.

With a small nod Kyle agreed, his stomach clenching with dread on how the girls would react to whatever the agents were doing to Max this time. He tried to take a cleansing breath, centering himself as he attempted to not imagine the horrors Max was suffering. As his mind began to clear somewhat, another anxious thought came to mind—causing him to form a silent prayer, hoping that Max would still be there when they tried again.

~ ~ ~
Langley, Virginia
Warehouse- Sub-basement level- Containment Room

Gray lines swirled around him, attempting to connect before a sudden force separated them into opposite corners. He watched in fascination, trying to follow the path of a single line, easily losing track of it and then following yet another one. Once he thought he managed to catch one as it traveled across the room and he automatically lifted a hand to help trace its path, but then the unyielding bite upon his wrist dragged his mind back into reality.

He was still strapped to the table.

He was still alone.

All that was yet to come… was death.

~ ~ ~
Canada- Liz and Isabel’s house- Isabel’s bedroom

His arm around her, Kyle watched Isabel sip at the water. But her throat was too constricted to allow much passage of the refreshing liquid. She was still too distraught, her thoughts only of seeing Max. “Isabel, it may take awhile to get in. You’ll need it.”

She refused to face him, not wanting to see the complete concern she heard in his voice. She knew that if she turned to be captured by his searching blue eyes, she would fall apart once more. Because she would see no blame in their steely depths. She would see no accusation that Max was suffering because she had been too afraid to try harder—to believe.

And now, that brief second when a part of her seemed to rise to life left her shattered with guilt. And her only way to function through it was to try harder than ever. Though for nine months she had slept fitfully, plagued with grief, she knew now that each moment her brother remained in that white hell she could not rest. She could not allow herself any relief that would feed the growing pit of guilt deep in her soul.

So she remained quiet, sipping just enough to give her the strength to try again, each cool drop steeling her to what she might see.

He sighed, rubbing slightly on her arm as she continued to sip lost in a trance. He saw her lip tremble and he wished to soothe its fear with a comforting kiss. But that thought only flickered in his mind as he instantly fought the small ache in his heart. He turned to Liz in hope of distraction and to see if she truly was ready.

Liz hovered by the bed, her arms wrapped around her torso. She had to do this, but it was hard to let go of her belief that Max was truly dead. Though she never expressed it to Isabel in those first early weeks after graduation, she had tried to hope that what she felt was wrong… that somehow Max would come back to her as he had before. But as each night had passed hearing Isabel cry in defeat, the deadness within her had grown. It had begun to consume her until she’d been forced to accept it. He was gone. And so from then on she had put all her focus on creating a life for herself and Isabel, to keeping safe, to ensure his death had not been in vain. And now… to think that all those months as she had attempted to live without Max, he had been there all along.

“Liz?” Kyle quietly called out, not wanting to startle her from her reverie.

“So how’s this going to work?” Needing the distraction from her tumultuous emotions, she focused on the mechanics of what they were about to do.

“Like it has when you’ve dream walked with Isabel, just with one more person—so it may take longer to connect.” Kyle shrugged, “I’m certainly no expert on this.”

Liz was about to speak when she saw Isabel place the glass of water on the table and so instead she joined the others on the bed. She sat awkwardly, her apprehension rocketing within her.

The three shifted upon the bed until they all faced each other, their knees just touching. Then silently they communicated and their hands reached out clinging to one another. After three breaths their eyes closed.

Before Maria could release her own tightly held breath, she heard her friends gasp. Their eyes flew open and they released their hands as Kyle called out to Liz.

“I’m sorry. I…” she trailed off, her face flaming with embarrassment, disappointment and fear. It was just like all those years back when they needed to heal Michael. Her fear prevented her from coming through in a time of crisis.

“You’re not ready,” Kyle stated simply, his eyes downcast, as weariness set in.

Though filled with urgency to reenter the dream world, Isabel held her tongue. After all these months with Liz, she knew Liz would ultimately follow through—all she needed was a moment to catch her breath, to order her thoughts, to steady her heart.

Liz glanced down at her hand, seeing the bareness of her left. She examined yearning for the dreamy shine of a promised love upon her finger. Her heart pounded, the deeply buried part of her soul calling out for Max. Then with a deep breath, she steadied the rapid beat before answering, “No. I am. Let’s do this.”

She pointedly grabbed their hands, squeezing in assurance that she truly was ready. Kyle and Isabel quickly held on to each other and, after taking a minute to focus on their memories of Max, their eyes closed once more.

Liz was first, her mind already lost in the beauty of her first true brush with Max’s soul. I have to touch you. His touch was gentle as he cradled her head in his life-saving hands. Try to let your mind blank out. At his breathy instruction she readily complied, her heart unable to refuse him.

Kyle counted silently as he focused on the dim UFO center setting. He saw a hand move away and then he heard himself ask, what the hell just happened to me? Though a question he had asked often over the years, he focused only on Max’s face, praying for it to change into the pale reality.

Isabel drew on her energy letting it flow towards Kyle and Liz to connect them all. As she felt it flow easily she allowed her mind to drift to the quarry, to a moment from four years back. I’m sorry. I just…I just wanted her to know. I wanted it so bad, her tearful voice echoed.

She felt warmth surround her and the deep timbre of her brother’s voice, a voice of comfort, of security—I know. I know you did. We have each other. We’re gonna be ok, Iz. We’re gonna be ok.

Lost in their memories of Max the three waited for the connection of their minds to complete, their breaths gradually coming in sync.

Maria watched in tense silence as her three friends gripped each other’s hands tightly, their breaths shallow. Her eyes darted to the clock, nine more minutes before she was to forcibly break them apart if nothing changed. However, as her eyes watched the movement of the clock’s hands, she missed the soft golden glow that built up from the stomachs of Liz and Kyle before flickering out between their linked hands.

~ ~ ~
Kyle?

Liz?

Isabel?

The three friends called out to each other through the thick clouds of fog. Their hands outstretched, they finally felt their way until all three stood together in confusion.

“Now what do we do?” Liz asked the others.

“Umm…” Kyle turned his head searching the clouds for some insight to that question, finding nothing he turned back to the others, “Isabel?” Hoping she would have an idea.

“You guys were all focusing on a memory of Max, right?” Confused about what happened and unable to sense where in the dreamscape she was, she tried to logically think her way out of it.

They both nodded, quickly adding a yes when they realized they couldn’t see each other clearly.

“Maybe we should all focus on the same one?” She was grasping at straws, but she had to do something. Her need to see her brother, to hear his voice again clawed within her.

“Sure. Which one?” Kyle asked.

They stood in silence trying to decide on a memory where all three had been present. Finally Liz looked pointedly in Kyle’s direction. “When he healed you. It’s because of you that we’ve come this far… and it’s your strongest memory of him, right?”

“Yeah.”

“All right then, let’s try this.” Isabel took over, reaching out to hold the others’ hands.

In moments the clouds blackened until they transformed into the memory of Kyle’s healing. As the three of them stood enraptured by the glow of Max’s hand, they did not realize the edges of the dreamscape were beginning to lighten to a blinding white.

Then as the image of Max fell back, their sight was flooded by the whiteness.

~ ~ ~
“What… what happened?” Liz moaned out as she held a hand to her head.

Isabel softly grunted as she scrambled to get up, feeling completely disoriented.

Kyle however, recognized the dizzying sensation immediately. They did it. They were in. “Max?” he called out.

Max slowly turned his head, hearing the voice of the ghost. Perhaps he was the one who would take him away.

“Kyle…” he slurred out. His tongue still felt incredibly heavy.

“Max?” Two hushed voices called out as they crowded on either side of Kyle.

Through the haze of white and gray they finally spotted Max’s inert body, and instantly they ran towards him.

“Oh my god. Max!!” they shouted.

Colors of gold swirled before him. He squinted, his eyes unable to absorb the shock of a color other than white or dull metal. For a moment he believed the assaulting yellow light to have returned, then suddenly his eyes focused on a heavenly vision.

The hellish world of white fell away and the hazy filter over his eyes lifted, revealing an image of beauty. Though he could not see her soft brown hair, the clearly defined features of her face revealed the loving eyes he had longed to see and the soft, sweet lips he yearned to touch. His soul cried out, pushing further through the fog in his mind, focusing purely on her, “Li—”

The door clicked open. He jerked his head towards the sound, but could not make out the figure from the white walls. Only when a gloved hand reached for his face, pulling at his eyelids did he realize the agents had returned. He knew he should feel fear and panic, but everything seemed muted in a haze of indifference. The gloved hand continued to touch, but his eyes could not follow its movement, tired out by the still swirling lines of gray. Hoping to stop the constant dizzying motions, he shifted his head to search for the vision. But she was gone.

~ ~ ~
All three collectively gasped as they broke from the dream walk. Maria was instantly on her feet asking if they were all right.

After a minute of dazed silence they turned towards her and breathlessly responded, “He pushed us out.”

“What?” Maria immediately turned to her best friend and on seeing her stiff form, asked, “Liz?”

“He…” she trailed off as she suddenly pushed herself off the bed. “I was so wrong. I was… I was so wrong,” she whispered despondently as she fled the room.

The rest of them watched her, wanting to follow, but knowing that she needed space.

~ ~ ~
Liz and Isabel’s House- Liz’s bedroom

After quietly shutting the door she leaned against it, sliding towards the floor.

He was there.

He was there.

The thought resounded in her head, shocking all breath out of her.

She held the sides of her head, squeezing her eyes shut hoping to rid her mind of images of the white room, images she hadn’t seen in years. But one after another the images repeated themselves—the sight of ice, whiteness and his struggling form filled her mind, while his screams echoed in her ears.

Her body soon began to tremble under her effort to not cry. Her arms soon lowered to wrap around herself, as her mind dwelled on the images from Max’s first capture. And that time… had only been one day.

A sob tore through her throat at the thought. She covered her mouth, instinctually trying to suppress it. For months she had buried her feelings, afraid she would never recover if she didn’t. And now, she needed to keep a clear head if she was to help Max. But the realization that for the past eleven months Max had been suffering beyond even the horror of his first capture… left her frozen.

Her breaths were short, her mind still in utter shock. Tears slowly built up in the corners of her eyes, but they could not fall.

She did not know how long she sat there, but finally her breaths slowed and she vaguely became aware of tears slowly trailing down her cheeks. Her thoughts, though still gripped by morbid memories of Max’s torture, gradually shifted to the brief connection she had just experienced.

The sensation of being immersed in his soul had lasted mere seconds, but it had been enough to fill the void within her. Feelings of love, guilt and desire poured into the empty depths of her soul, as once again the amazing, loving soul of Max brought hers to life.

Her tears flowing freely, she sat there in awe at the capacity his soul had to bear the guilt of the world, and above all, to love.

Her petite body shuddered, her knees moving closer to her chest, small sobs escaping her. In the back of her mind she knew she needed to clear her mind, but her emotions were fighting for release. For moments she lost herself to them, indulging the tears she had held back for months.

Only the quiet call of her name brought her back, her cries beginning to lessen. Liz...

As she clung to his love and the reverent, phantom whisper of her name, she began to calm, regaining her control.

She lifted her left hand using the back of it to wipe the tears from her cheeks. As her hand settled into her lap, she gazed at it, forlornly.

She yearned to feel his soul again, to try and reconnect. But she could not do it alone and Kyle and Isabel needed some time to regain their strength.

Then suddenly her eyes widened and she scrambled to her bedside table, yanking open a drawer. Only when the ring was in sight did she hesitate, but only for a moment.

Taking a deep breath she reached out, closing her eyes.

Instantly she released her breath, her eyes opening with disappointment.

How could there still be nothing? She knew she had connected with him, time unable to dim the familiarity of his soul.

She lightly traced the edge of the ring, the memory of his earnest face easily coming to mind. Her lips lifted slightly at the sight; though her eyes still held the pain and grief she had hidden for months.

Though her mind still held doubt that what she had seen tonight had just been her imagination, her heart refused to listen to the denial. Her soul, now revived by the brief touch with his, could finally feel. But this time, instead of being plagued with grief and helplessness, hope stirred within its depths.

Opening her necklace, she slipped the ring on, allowing the symbol of love to touch her heart. Placing her hand over where it lay, she breathed slowly, concentrating on her memories of Max. Still upon her knees, she whispered with absolute determination, “Hold on Max. We’ll find you. I promise—we’ll find you.”
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Hey everyone! Fortunately this part didn't take as much time in beta-ing, so as a study break for myself I've decided to post it. So enjoy! And as always thank you all for the feedback! :D

Gnomie- Welcome! Thank you so much :oops:

Emz80m- Hey, good to see you again! And I'm actually very happy to see a 'poor Liz'-- I have been very worried that I wouldn't be able to have the girls, especially Liz as sympathetic characters.

Flamehair- aww, man those smilies bring tears to my eyes too! Where do you get them?

And as to where Michael is... this part should answer that. ;)

clueless- Thank you so much and wow, holding your breath?

DMartinez- Yeah you delurked!! Thank you! And on fixing it... give me time. ;)

*Note: There are a lot of previously's for this one, since it has been months since those parts were posted. So if you do not need it, feel free to skip over it. :)

And on with the story...

Previously...

“I can’t keep falling apart like this Isabel. We started a new life here, but neither of us is living it. As much as I wish things were different, they’re not. We need to move on.” Liz held up her hand before Isabel could interrupt, “I’m not saying we forget, just that we stop this,” she motioned to her collection. “If I stop dwelling in the past, will you stop delving into the darkness?”

Liz grabbed Isabel’s hands before she could move away, “Isabel please. I know you still try at least once a week; your eyes can’t hide that. If not for yourself, do it for me.

Isabel glanced down at their linked hands, then slowly lifted her eyes to meet Liz’s watery but steady gaze. Max always had trusted Liz, at least when his mind wasn’t being tampered with. She had come to trust Liz too, for she was pretty much the reason they were still alive and safe. So she finally decided to trust Liz on this, acquiescing with a nod and a squeeze of the hand. No more dreamwalking the dead.
~ ~

Kyle stoically stared down at the headstone still seeming freshly placed in the earth. He stood a bit off centered and a few steps away from the stone, remembering what had become of his friend’s body—his face.

“Those sons of bitches shot him a third time.” Mrs. Evans was openly crying by now and Mr. Evans did not elaborate.

Maria’s shock from the past hour’s events was beginning to wear off as it turned to anger. “What do you mean a third time? Where?” Her mom and Kyle tried to calm her down a bit, this was hard enough on the Evans without her badgering, but she fought them both off. “No! Where’s the doctor? I want to see Max. I want to see him!” She was screaming by now, and his dad had joined in to stop her.

But the struggling stopped when Mrs. Evans finally spoke. “His face. You can’t even tell…” she broke off as one more sob came out, “It was his face.”

As Maria sat before Max’s grave in silence, tears still marking paths down her cheeks, memories of the last time she was there filled her head—the funeral. She remembered feeling so lost, looking out at a crowd where the majority didn’t even know Max and wondering if she could get through the funeral without breaking down completely. Somehow she managed, the thought that ‘this’ was all she could do for him—to sing and pray his soul was finally at peace. She couldn’t let him down and she didn’t. As she began to talk to her friend, her fingers still trailing through the grass, she could hear the song she sang that day. Spend all your time waiting…
~ ~

“How much can we expect Michael to cover by himself?” Isabel’s voice had risen as her emotions of helplessness seemed to overwhelm her. Then with a sad sigh she added, “I should have gone with him.”

PART THIRTY-ONE

Canada- Liz and Isabel’s House

An hour later, Kyle had left Maria and Isabel to make coffee, knowing he wouldn’t be able to sleep and thought he might as well try and be alert. He was soon joined by Liz who had heard him rummaging around the kitchen. After quietly greeting him, she helped him find everything, and soon the two sat at the counter, staring into the murky, steamy depths of their coffee. Minutes passed, only the sound of their quiet sighs disrupting the silence.

“Why were you so sure it wasn’t true?” Kyle asked quietly, still not a hint of accusation in his tone—just a plea to understand and find out that it wasn’t because they did not trust him.

“So many things. Isabel not being able to get through—she tried for three solid months, Kyle. You didn’t see how much she was allowing herself to deteriorate. Even with alien powers she couldn’t hide the redness and puffiness of her eyes. Her grief... her hopelessness were killing her.”

“I know I didn’t see it, and I do understand how devastating it can be to not get anywhere— with no… confirmation that there is somewhere to get to. But after I saw it, why couldn’t you guys even consider the chance?” He hated that his voice wavered as he asked, his feelings of hurt taking over.

Liz sensed what Kyle was getting at and moved to reassure him, her hand upon his arm. “Kyle, it was never about it being you telling us that. It was our own feelings of… emptiness. Isabel and I shared a connection to Max, and losing that… twice… it was just so hard to accept it and once we did, it was even harder to… not.”

“Right,” Kyle nodded, understanding. He had seen Maria go through the same situation. He had spent so many days after the funeral holding her as she cried and shouted that there must have been something they missed, that she needed to see his body, despite the warnings, that the agents hanging around was proof he was alive… but once the agents left, her protests had quieted until finally they were silenced. When she had bade farewell to Alex and Max on that day, she had bade any hope that Max was alive, goodbye too. It seemed all three girls had fought until the absence sunk in too deep within their souls, too deep for them to bring their hope back easily.

~ ~ ~
Liz and Isabel’s house- Isabel’s bedroom

“I mean when they told us about Max’s body at the hospital… I didn’t want to believe them,” Maria confessed to Isabel. She leaned back in Isabel’s desk chair, staring up at the ceiling.

After the dreamwalk, Isabel had stayed on her bed, unable to move from her position. She remained silent for the moment, not trusting the strength of her voice yet and allowing Maria to talk about her own issues with believing.

“And Jim and Kyle kept stopping me from looking at Max’s body… I mean that agent’s body…” Maria frowned at the memory of Kyle receiving that flash, “…and then the last time I was questioned by the Unit, those sick bastards left me photos of that body. They weren’t particularly explicit, fortunately… but it was enough to get me to finally believe that… he was gone.” Maria’s voice lowered at her last three words, her eyes unfocused as the ceiling transformed into the memory of Max’s funeral. Images of the photos flashed as she saw the casket lowered into the ground.

After a moment she blinked twice, refocusing on Isabel’s bedroom and continued, “And so I tried to make my peace with that. I never expected that once I did, I would find out I had been right all along. That it was all a lie.”

~ ~ ~
Liz and Isabel’s House- Kitchen

“I know you’d never lie to us Kyle, especially on something like this. But the possibility that somebody might have been—”

“Mindwarping me? No, only Tess was ever given the chance.” Kyle’s voice filled with bitterness as he spoke. “I haven’t let anybody in but you guys since that. Her gift to me was that I’d never trust someone like that again, I’ll never allow myself to feel that way… to fall…” He trailed off as memories where he felt things could have been more between him and Tess took over.

“I’m so sorry Kyle.”

“Don’t be. It was my fault for thinking she was human.”

For minutes the two lapsed into silence after that, until finally Kyle asked, “Didn’t you ever wonder why Michael didn’t get the seal?”

“Huh. I actually never really thought about it. But I mean he didn’t…” Liz paused momentarily as her thoughts speedily sought a theory. She mused out loud, “It’s probably because when that system was set in place for the seal to transfer if Max were to die… it was meant to be a one time thing. I doubt they ever thought Max would come back to life and take his seal back. The occurrence was… unnatural, the system couldn’t be reset, so instead it was destroyed.”

Slowly shaking his head, Kyle muttered, “Makes as much sense as all the other alien crap we’ve dealt with.”

~ ~ ~
Liz and Isabel’s house- Isabel’s bedroom

“For me, I just could never get a sense of the connection with Max anymore. That’s what hurt the most, the fact that Kyle could, but I couldn’t. I mean… does this mean Max knows we’re there? Or have they done something to him so that he doesn’t even know any of this is happening?” Isabel laid flat on her back now, brushing stray stands from her face as she confessed her own pain to Maria.

“I don’t know which is worse to think about,” Maria softly commented.

“Just the thought that he’s still there,” Isabel whispered.

“Do we even know where there is?” Maria asked, thinking back to that list Jim had printed out for Kyle to relay to Michael.

~ ~ ~
Liz and Isabel’s house- Kitchen

“He’s still in Langley?”

“Isabel checked up on Michael earlier this week. He said he was nearing the end of the list and so far no sign,” Liz answered morosely. She began to pace by the window, her body filling with nervous energy. “I really hope he has found something…anything,” her last word was a strained whisper as desperation to find Max possessed her. For a moment she gazed out the window, her eyes searching fervently for a clue, but the night sky revealed no secret to her. Then suddenly she turned to Kyle, but upon observing how weary his entire body seemed, her question began to die in her throat, “Do you think you’re… up to… contacting him to find out?’

Not missing a beat Kyle replied, “Yeah. I’ll try now.”

~ ~ ~
The smell of tomatoes and herbs swirled in the air around him. The setting was dim, an ambience of romance creating a charged atmosphere of expectation. Kyle searched through the shadows, ignoring the faint rumble of his stomach.

Spaceboy.

He heard a lusty whisper, its echo floating in the scented steam that surrounded him. His eyes widened as he realized what Michael was dreaming about it. In a panic he yelled, not wanting to see anything that could be going on. “Michael! Yo, Guerin! Get out here, now!”

The setting changed to the open landscape beside a sprawling highway. Michael stood in front of him, angry frustration clearly etched on his face. But after a moment Michael seemed to visibly calm, and tiredly asked, “What’s up, Kyle?”

“Sorry, about…” Kyle trailed off as he realized that he better just skip over that and get on with things. “They believe me now. We managed to get in for a few moments—”

“We?” Michael echoed.

“Isabel and Liz finally agreed to try with me.”

Michael nodded. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you much more than what I told them earlier. There are four more places to check out. This place is filled with government facilities. A lot of them weren’t active—and I made sure they weren’t just appearing to be abandoned.” He released a sigh. “It’s gotta be one of these four… it’s gotta be.”

“I hope so, man. Is there anything we can do to help?”

“No. Don’t bother coming down here, it’s hard enough for just me to keep a low profile, if anybody else was here, they’d figure out and it’d be graduation all over again.” A haunted expression stole upon Michael’s face briefly, before retreating behind a stoic mask.

“Right.” Kyle knew not to push and just nodded his head. Observing the dust on the tall alien’s form and the dark circles beneath his eyes, he knew he should let him get some rest so he could complete the search soon. But he wondered, “Would you like it if I connected you and Mar—”

Michael’s eyes flashed with panic for a second before his form faded into nothing.

~ ~ ~
Langley, Virginia
By the road

Michael shot up into a sitting position, his head jerking towards the road. The speeding car he had heard drove by and his senses raged, completely alert. He watched the disappearing taillights with apprehension, wondering who would be traveling at this hour. A part of him hoped that it was something and he instinctually moved to his bike, ready to kick start it and drive after the car.

But as he once again gazed after the car, he realized he had hesitated too long. Darkness settled thickly on the road again, and his heart beat slowed with resignation at the potential loss. He sighed, and pulled out the list. Four more.

He consulted his map and soon found where the next facility was located. Folding away the list and map, jamming them into his pocket he straddled his bike and drove off in the opposite direction of the car, his mind holding one lone thought— Please let it be this one.
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Hi guys... I've been waiting to have my next post ready before I responded to feedback... but it still isn't, so I thought I'd at least let you know it is being worked on! And to just wish you all-- Happy Holidays!

Flamehair- aww thank you dear! A Merry Christmas to you too!
Also thank you for the link-- nice collection of smilies there and all so adorable.

dreamon-
where r u???
First off welcome and thank you for posting!

Second, I'm very sorry! The next part is still in beta-ing... I'm not positive when it'll be ready to post, really depends when my beta gets back to me.

clueless- :lol: thank you for checking in so much! I do hope your final went well! I certainly know the temptation of reading fanfic when I should be studying VERY well. ;)

cherie-
It's going to take a master plan to get Max out.
Exactly. You'll get to see more hints of the plan in upcoming parts... here's hoping it works!

Timelord31- Thanks, good to see you around again!

Scottie- Aww Scottie... I remember that story all too well... *sniff*
what's Michael's plan once he finds Max? I hope he doesn't do anything impulsive or hotheaded. That's like our Michael!
heh heh too true... but who knows, he has certainly grown over the years...

Ellie- Thanks for the wishes, hope you are too. And without raising expectations TOO much... I'd just like to say for the next part-- Merry Christmas. :wink: :twisted:

RhondaAnn- Welcome! Always great to see a new reader! I'm really glad you enjoyed Kyle dreamwalking Michael, I do try to have a little humor throughout this story to break up the constant angst! ;)

Very good questions about Michael... I can tell you by Part 33 you guys will know the answers to all that.
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

*sigh* I really hate myself for this... but I'm sorry the part is still not ready. My beta and I have been tweaking one scene in this next part to ensure maximum satisfaction from when you read it (you'll understand when I finaly post it...) and um from my latest revision I'm waiting for any further comments to change it or a go ahead to post. I was hoping to post by today, since I'm flying back to school tomorrow and will be very jetlagged after landing. However, whenever I do get the go ahead I will try and fight my jetlag long enough to post it. And if I don't... well within a week I'll just go ahead and post it, and hopefully you're still here and will like it. :oops:

There is one good bit of news I can tell you-- I have sent the part after this one for betaing already, so (fingers crossed) there shouldn't be yet another month long wait for you guys between these next two parts. I'm so sorry for the absolutely irregular and slow updates... hopefully now with the holidays over it'll be a bit faster.

Anyway I'd just like to thank you all for checking in so much and also welcome Misha to the story. In addition... I'd like to thank everyone who nominated and voted for me... I'm amazed and honored you would consider this story worthy of any of that... (especially with how much I make you guys wait! ;)) and that I was able to make runner-up in two categories-- particularly to one of my absoultely favorite authors and stories on this board. So just... thank you.

For:

Best Newcomer
Best Fic No One’s Reading, but Everyone Should Be

So I'm off to finish packing. I'll really try and be back here soon. And a Happy New Year to all of you-- best wishes for this year. :)
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Thanks guys for being so patient with me and checking in (clueless ;))!

jbangelo- Welcome! And wow... thank you for your comments. I'm glad that even though it's made you cry, you're enjoying it. :oops:

magikhands- Thank you! And about Michael-- next part you'll find out about Michael and what he may know... promise!!

MiY- phew glad to know! ;) And sorry that I didn't run this last revision of the scene by you, but well... hope it's satisfying enough. :?

Scottie--
Out of all the stories on the board, a runner-up win is definitely a wonderful thing to get. Heck, it's great just to be nominated! Sometimes it's more fun to be a bridesmaid!
I know!! Sometimes I still have trouble believing any of it at all! :) Thank you!

All right. After several revisions on this scene, I've finally decided to post what I have... here's hoping it's okay... there are a few sections of it that even my lovely, ever supportive beta hasn't even seen... but I didn't want to prolong the updating any longer. So enjoy guys!

Oh and by the way-- I'll be having an Author Chat at the DAS board this Wednesday [Jan 18] 8pm EST. So if you guys have time, stop by! :D

Previously...

“Open him up.”

The last words he believed he would ever hear echoed in his mind. He squinted into the bright lamp positioned above him attempting to retreat into his mind. But all he could see was the scalpel, its sharp edge glinting in the light. A film of tears mercifully blurred the sight of the surgeons as their gloved hands pushed down against his cold skin while lowering the fatal steel. Its tip easily sliced through, revealing a trail of blood—blood that to an unknowing eye would have been believed as human.

However, to those hovering over him, the sound that soon ripped from his throat would only be described as inhuman.
[From The White Room]
~ ~

As Liz drifted off her hand settled lightly upon her stomach—just like it had when her stomach had once been graced with silver.

She saw a laboratory where various scientists were working and looking through microscopes. In the center she saw one talking to a general, smiles on both their faces. The scene suddenly changed and she found herself staring at a bare chest. She slowly glanced up and saw a face, familiar to her dream world now… “Max” she breathed out, reaching a hand out to caress his face, but it remained unseeing, unmoving. Before she could touch him, the scene changed again, and suddenly she was surrounded by men in army fatigues, lined up at attention… men that all resembled…Max. That’s when she woke up gasping in shock.

PART THIRTY-TWO

1 a.m.
Side of a deserted highway

“Having car trouble?” A slick voice asked behind him. Stiffly turning he saw that the agent was punctual as always.

“Do you have the equipment?” He did not bother with pleasantries, being out there was risk enough.

The agent calmly turned his head and glanced down at an insulated briefcase by his side. “It should be more than adequate.”

Nodding sternly, the general motioned towards his car. “Let’s take a look, then.”

The two men settled into the car, casually glancing over their shoulders for any possible lurkers. Handing over the case, Felding finally broached the true subject of their meeting. “Are you sure you won’t require any further samples?”

The general’s lips lifted slightly in a satisfied smile. “We’ve achieved our first goal. This should tide us over until we can cultivate more from the new specimens. Let him rest in peace.”

Felding, not one to show any emotion in front of the general, just raised an eyebrow at that news. Internally he celebrated, having wanted to end that miserable alien’s life from the moment it was revived. No matter what they did to it, as long as it survived it was a threat. Now that it had fulfilled all its uses, he could finally complete his mission.

With a quick nod, Felding held out his hand to the general. “By the end of the month it will be done.”

“Pleasure doing business with you,” the general responded as they shook hands. He tapped the case lightly. “The offer still stands.”

Felding stiffly turned, his cold eyes staring into the general’s expectant ones.

“The end of the month, sir,” he reiterated, his unyielding gaze and flat tone conveying his refusal. He intended to retire after this was over and had no desire to join the general’s project. Without a second glance he exited the car.

In quick strides he walked to his car, ignoring the brightening headlights of the general’s car starting. In the light and the grinding tires, Felding never noticed the glowing shadow that followed him. Nor did he notice the extra layer on the backseat of his car as he drove back to the facility.

~ ~ ~
As he passed by the familiar highway marker, he knew he’d be reaching the base soon. Replacing his earpiece, and tapping against the amazing micro-technology, he spoke one word: “Hammers.”

“Yes, sir?” came the quick reply in his ear.

With a sinister smile he spoke the words he knew his colleague had been waiting to hear. “It’s time.”

The shadowy layer in the back strained to hold its form as it listened keenly.

“I’m forty minutes away. Make all the preparations.”

Through its shadowy veil it saw the agent in front nod his head slightly, the cold smile settling on his face.

“Yes.” After another pause: “Cut it open.”

A slight shiver passed over the shadowy layer in the back, noticeable enough to catch the agent’s eye.

Tapping against his earpiece to end the transmission, Felding stared hard at the rearview mirror, searching for whatever had drawn his attention. Seeing nothing, he slowed enough to safely turn his head back to scour the backseat.

Still finding nothing, he faced forward speeding up again. He raised one hand, rubbing his eyes with the back of it. It had been many long, tiring nights; perhaps the strain was finally getting to him. He silently reassured himself that soon, it would all be over.

~ ~ ~
He heard a faint beeping in his ear and then a recorded voice stating, ‘Agent Hammers calling’. Having just reached their base, he parked the car, then sat back and tapped his earpiece.

“Everything is ready, sir.”

“Excellent, I’ll be there shortly.” He glanced out his window at the dark trees, swaying gently in the night breeze. Soon, he’d be able to enjoy the peacefulness of nature, with the knowledge that the nation was safe and her government in complete control.

“One thing, sir,” Hammers’ hesitant voice returned his thoughts back to the conversation.

“Yes?”

“The surgeons asked whether any anesthesia will be required.”

“No.” There was no hesitation, no debate on the matter.

After a pause, Hammers responded, “All right, sir. See you soon.”

The recorded voice in his ear stated the transmission had ended. He tapped his earpiece and made his way out of the car.

A sudden rush in the breeze caused the trees to rustle loudly, stealing his attention.

Seeing nothing lurking among the swaying trees he visibly calmed, taking a deep breath of the cool night air. After tonight he would no longer have to remain sequestered within the depths of the warehouse. By the month’s end, not even a trace of his operation would exist.

This was how it should have ended all those years ago. Pierce was careless and shallow, turning on his own men when things fell apart.

Over the years though, Felding had realized that Pierce had been more careless than shallow… he hadn’t been ruthless enough, and because of that the alien had managed to take control, to escape. Felding had almost been ruined when the Unit was publicly shut down, but staying quiet and having powerful friends saved him. From that point on he bided his time, watching and waiting for his chance.

And then the Air Force Base just outside of Roswell had exploded.

And he had been ready to finally fix things once and for all… to ensure those aliens were stopped. Now that things were coming to an end he would be able to breathe easy, to fully enjoy spending time with his loved ones, assured that all was safe and right in his world.

There was only one last thing to do.

A cold smile appeared on his face, a part of him reveling in the thought of completing his mission. In just a few minutes that abomination would finally experience the truly painful consequence of attacking his nation—of the deaths of other agents and all those innocent civilians. His eyes narrowed in anger at the thought and straightening his shoulders he turned to enter the complex.

He never realized the presence nearby until it was too late.

“Wha-?” He cut off as he felt the burning sensation in his chest. He could not make out his killer’s form, a vague glowing outline surrounding the shadowy figure.

He felt a vise-like grip upon his heart, the beats slowing as the pressure around it increased. His right hand clumsily groped for his gun, but all it could manage to do was weakly hold onto his left arm.

The continuous rustling of the trees soon transformed into the erratic beats of his heart. It struggled against the tightening pressure, its trembling echoes filling his ears.

His eyes shut, wincing in pain, while harsh shallow breaths escaped him. Time seemed to suspend between his lessening heartbeats, his world slipping away into anguished darkness.

Stop. Please stop. His plea was silent, words he had never uttered echoing in his mind, words that he had once sneered at the prisoner for crying out, as water had rushed into the deprivation tank.

His mind drifted into the memory, interpreting the rustling leaves as the roar of the water, but instead of the prisoner’s voice, he heard only his own strangled by fear. His words filled the silences between his weakening beats creating a fading rhythm of dread.

A cold, low voice spoke.

“All this time I’ve envied you… your kind. To live in a land where free will is celebrated. But all I’ve seen you do is destroy that in others… in the men you lead… in your prisoner…”

The voice had hardened with each word, hinting at deep anger. It paused at the mention of the prisoner, letting its words hang in the air.

But the moment was brief, a grave, softly spoken promise following.

“And now… I’m going to take yours.”

His eyelids fluttered, struggling to remain open to face his killer, to fight. But he could not lift his head as the pressure increased around his waning heart.

His body conceded to the crushing pain, his muscles only able to twitch in vain struggles to move, to even remain standing.

The chilling voice spoke again, “Believe me, I’m letting you off easy.”

At the words a slight shiver stole down his spine. His control slipping away in each extended silence of his heartbeat.

He was vaguely aware that he was now on his knees. The voice sounded even closer now by his drooping head. “Know this: you’ve had the wrong man this entire time.”

Deprived of oxygen his mind could hardly form a thought, only able to react to the words with raw fear. Fear that, if he were conscious enough would have been for the lives he had sworn to protect—his family, friends and colleagues… his nation. But in this moment his fear concerned only himself—his failing heart, his life.

His fear was primal, overwhelming, and soon sent adrenalin coursing through his system, allowing him enough strength to lift his head to stare into the dark face of his murderer.

Its face was a fathomless dark abyss stretching out before him, a vision of hell that he could not escape. This was the sight he had seen only once before and even now it still immobilized him in terror.

Even in his captive state, his system continued to struggle internally, adrenalin still fueling his instinct to live, to destroy his enemy before it destroyed him.

But before he could will his body to respond, its icy voice cut through the pressured haze in his mind. “I always thought humans were merciful, that their ability to feel was their strength… yet all I’ve seen you do is punish that—relentlessly, mercilessly— the same qualities you attribute to my kind… even when Max Evans consistently proved you wrong…”

He couldn’t have been wrong, that thing was a killer…

But a small whisper in his mind asked, *What about the children in Phoenix?* The doubting question he had ignored for a year, choosing to focus on the decades of carnage instead.

Felding summoned what little strength he had to verbally protest, but its whisper caused his energy to drain away in dread.

“But me? I’m about to prove you right.”

He felt the pressure in his chest strengthen. His body became absolutely rigid, his nerves gradually deadening.

With waning adrenalin, his lips trembled with one last attempt to fight back— for breath, for dignity.

But as Felding had refused his prisoner all these months, he was given no moment to process a thought, no chance to say a word.

All he could know was pain and fear.

“Don't even bother. Even out here, there's no one to hear you scream,” the same cold voice whispered, as its body’s glow intensified.

The light blinded him, a hellish white replacing the prior darkness. Yet he could not look away, captured by his shock.

In seconds the agent’s life ended, the final squeeze around his heart stopping its last struggling beat. As he fell to the ground, his last sight was of the same swaying trees, now filled with ominous shadows.

~ ~ ~
Langley, Virginia
Warehouse- Sub-basement level- Observation Room

Felding stood in front of the observation window waiting for Hammers to arrive. He did not have to wait long for in the next moment his colleague strode in, annoyance clearly shown on his face. “What happened? Why the sudden change in plans?” After a pause Hammers added a surly “Sir.”

“I’ve been given word of the location of the others,” Felding replied nonchalantly, still gazing into the window.

“And?”

“And so, it’s become useful again… as bait.” He finally faced Hammers.

“Bait, sir?” Hammers cocked his head unable to follow his leader’s logic.

“Yes. They will definitely come once they find out, and when they do, we take care of them all in one simple act of justice.” The satisfied smirk appeared once more.

“Why is it necessary that it stays alive?” Still unable to let go of his chance to dissect the alien, he looked for an alternative plan.

“To ensure they stay exactly where they are when it happens.”

“With all due respect, I still don’t see why it’s that necessary, sir.”

“It’s not necessary that you see, agent. Complete your orders.”

“We’re practically equals, sir; you were the one who told me that.” His voice rose somewhat with indignation.

“Then act like you deserve it.” With that, Felding resumed his pensive watch of the examination room.

His fists clenched at his side, Hammers turned around and exited the observation room.

Felding soon saw his orders being carried out as the surgeons entered removing the equipment set up around Max…his king. The entire time, Max had lain still upon the operation table, his eyes closed. Oddly, instead of a metal slab as Felding had envisioned it to be in his nightmares, it was a metal frame surrounded by a trench. A small involuntary shudder ran through him as he realized what that trench was for… what it would collect.

Narrowing his eyes, he noticed that thin, wiry chains held Max down, not just at the wrists and ankles, but around his neck too. Felding had wondered if Max was unconscious, his body completely inert, until he saw Max’s reaction to the sound of the equipment being moved away.

Max’s eyes shut even tighter and his hands clutched the metal frame beneath him. He also noticed Max’s Adam’s apple bobbing painfully slow as he seemed to swallow, while trying to avoid cutting his throat on the restrictive chain.

Glancing sideways at the door he assured himself he was alone and finally allowed a flicker of emotion to appear on his face. Though he reminded himself how much he hated Max, he couldn’t take any pleasure in what he saw Max being put through. Finally, too sickened by the sight, he had to turn away.

Soon, he thought, soon his plan would be done.

The door to the observation room opened and quickly his indifferent mask returned. The man who stood in the doorway was a younger man and clearly nervous. “Um sir, was there anything else you wanted us to do?”

After a moment, Felding answered. “No. Leave it alone. There’s nothing else we need.”

The young agent bobbed his head and then left. “Goodnight, sir.”

Felding said nothing and just stared at the now closed door. For a second he considered seeing Max, but after the first time of entering Max’s cell… he wasn’t sure he could stand to see him face to face in such a state again.

He heard a faint gasp and immediately turned back.

He saw Max trying to breathe. He debated whether he should say something to Max, to let him know nothing would happen to him. His hand touched the button but not a word came out.

He began to move back, switching off the intercom as he did. Just as he exited the observation room he heard his king’s desperate voice cry out. Once again, he tried to assure himself— soon, it would all be over soon.

~ ~ ~
Langley, Virginia
Warehouse- Sub-basement level- Containment Room

It had been quiet around him, but they soon returned.

He refused to watch, just waiting for the moment his life would finally flicker out. He heard their muted steps as their protective coverings shuffled against the white tiled floor. He finally heard the clink of metal and despite his attempt to not think about it, he envisioned which scalpel they had chosen to start with.

He gripped hard at the cold wire under him, bracing for the first excruciating slice. He could almost sense the sharp tip of the large steel scalpel, the white light glinting off its hard edge.

All he could hear now were the rapid thumping of his heart and the quiet gasps of his breaths becoming harsher and shallower. Their panicked rhythm continued to speed up and soon all he could see was the knife lowering, its tip about to plunge into his chest.

A sudden constriction around his throat made him, once again, painfully aware of the chains holding him down. His eyes still closed, he willed himself to slow his breaths—the one thing he could still control.

But as he did, the image of the scalpel only strengthened and his chest prickled with fearful expectation. Any moment his past memory would become present reality, extracting screams of agony from him. He squeezed his eyes tighter trying to block out the sight that still invaded his imagination and held his breath in futile effort to bear his last torture silently.

Yet no pain came.

That is, beyond the pressure in his chest as his lungs struggled to receive air. He let in a little air, breathing and swallowing slowly, hoping to avoid the tight chain that practically choked him.

He almost opened his eyes to see why they had not started, but then he surmised that they planned to take this at an agonizingly slow pace. At that thought, he gripped even tighter to the cage-like table he laid upon. He barely felt the pain his tight grip induced as his bonds cut off his circulation. After several more slow swallows, he realized that it had become quiet again.

Though he wasn’t entirely sure his hands were moving, he willed them to slowly release their grip and try to move as much as they could. Perhaps they would notice and would make sure he stopped.

But nobody said a thing.

He stilled his hands; at least he mentally ordered the action. Then with great effort he opened his eyes, only to be instantly assaulted by the white light. With extreme care he tilted his head slightly and with a side-long glance searched for the agents.

All he saw were the same cold white tiles. They were gone.

He moved his head back to its initial position. Squinting at the light he was confused to why they weren’t ending things. Why would they tell him that it was finally going to be over, just to leave him here like that? He considered the possibility that this was part of their plan, but wouldn’t the autopsy have been faster? Weren’t they as eager as he was to rid him of his life? Or had he imagined the entire thing?

More and more he questioned what was actually happening to him and what he was just imagining. Perhaps he had just been left tied to this table. Perhaps he had dreamed of the surgeons who would mercifully end his life.

He wanted to shout for the agents to come back. That if they hadn’t attempted to already, to just start the dissection… to end his life.

But what if this was a test?

Did they want him to beg even more than he already had? To beg to be dissected alive, feeling every cut as his body was taken apart and recorded in their data books? Should he give them the satisfaction? Or could he actually hold onto one minute shred of his dignity?

He counted his breaths, trying to not think about what was happening. Then he thought he heard someone approach.

But the sound stopped abruptly and again his mind spun with questions of doubt.

With frustration he tugged at the chains, coughing immediately as the one around his neck pressed against his windpipe. Once he had regained his breath he finally shouted out, his voice hoarse and desperate, “Why are you doing this?”
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Do you have a link to the author's chat?
Ahh right... here's the link to the board and tomorrow around that time there should be a link near the top of that page directing you straight to the chat! Hope to see you there! :)

http://p196.ezboard.com/bdreamingamongstars?x=44&y=27

Thank you to Flamehair, Timelord31, clueless, jbangelo, Scottie, Misha and Ellie for your feedback! I'm relieved to hear you guys liked it and especially that Felding's death was satisfying enough!

I'll respond more to feedback next time, gotta dash! But oh! Since you guys all figured it out I might as well confirm it for you, the killer is definitely Cal Langley.
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Do we have a timeframe for the new part?
How about now? ;)

But first... many thanks as always for the feedback guys!

cherie- Thanks again for stopping by for my chat! And as I mentioned there-- it'll be quite some time before you find out more about the clones!

BDT- Hey there! Good to see your comments again. And about the car that passed by I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. ;) Oh and though it'll be some time before the clones are gone into detail I can confirm to you that yes they don't need any more samples from Max because they have all they need.

And heh heh I think I made Felding waaaay evil enough for you to not be a bad person to think that. :twisted:

confusedfool :) thanks.

magikhands- Don't worry about missing the chat, I know a number of people have mentioned to me they wished they could have made it... so if I can figure out my schedule I might try for another one. And yeah it was pretty good! But boy I honestly did not know what to expect going in to it.

And yes I know Felding deserved worse... but because he has family-- people that would notice his sudden absence... his death had to look natural. But lets see about Hammers hmm? :twisted:

And wow...
That part...when Cal was watching Max lie there so helpless, and waiting for them to kill him...it really touched me. Even if he hated Max, his king, he bothered him to see him go through this.
thanks for commenting about Cal's thoughts...

MiY- thanks always for the comments dear-- and to hear that the changes made it near "perfect" aww.. you are too kind. :oops:

And wait... not sure if I totally followed your Syriana connection? (I saw the movie)

clueless and Scottie- thanks for the bumps/checking in.

And this coming month is going to be pretty crazy for me... but I will try and post within 2 weeks if not earlier. And specifically for the next part-- I'm going to aim to try and get it posted by the end of next week. But in the meantime... enjoy.

Previously...

Jim’s face lined by the weariness of the past few years and particularly the last few months began to show signs of hope as he commented to his son and Maria, “I’ll print it out and start a search on possible bases, hospitals and abandoned facilities where he might be held in that area. Hopefully narrow the search down.”
~ ~

As the evening shadows seeped into the house Michael gazed at Liz, his grey eyes becoming a chilling shade, “I’ll find something. And when I do, I’ll come back.”

PART THIRTY-THREE

A few hours later
Langley, Virginia
On the Road

Warm rays softly bathed his dusty, chilled form as the sun signaled the beginning of another day. Unable to hold out against the persistent light Michael cracked open his eyes with a quiet groan.

Slowly he stretched out feeling every protesting ache in his muscles. He yawned as he rubbed at his eyes, then coughed at the sudden breath of dusty air. Still on the ground he bent over his knees, willing himself to fully wake up. After a moment he grabbed his folded jacket and stood up.

With one hand, he roughly shook the jacket to remove any dirt. He then waved a hand at a nearby bush. The leaves pulled back to reveal his bike, which he then draped the jacket over the seat. About to reach into one of the pockets, he spied a worn folded piece of paper on the ground. Quickly realizing it was his list, he picked it up.

He released a short breath as he unfolded the paper, squinting in the brightening light at the contents. The paper was filled with shaky lines he had drawn through listed locations that he had already checked and eliminated as Max’s whereabouts. Muddling the marks on the page further were creases from all the time he folded and shoved it in his pocket throughout his journey. Shifting his stance he flattened the sheet on his leg then brought it closer to his face to read the remaining places. However, of the three he knew he had not visited two were neatly crossed out.

The last location was marked too, but by an arrow next to it, leading his attention to a hastily written note. The ink was light and hard to read, but going over it a few times the meaning came clear.

Lowering the list he gazed out at the sprawling highway several feet ahead of him. He blinked a few times then began to fold the paper once more. He moved to his bike and pulled his jacket on. As he straddled the bike he shoved the worn sheet into his pocket.

He then placed his helmet on and gripped the handles. Taking one glance down the highway in the direction opposite of his destination he muttered, “I’m coming Max.”

He kicked the motorcycle into gear and drove off thinking, *Time to consult the crystal ball.*
~ ~ ~

Two Days Later
Canada

As he entered the quiet streets of Liz and Isabel’s neighborhood, Michael released a sigh of a relief. He was finally here.

Spying the quaint house just ahead, he eased up on the accelerator. After pulling into their driveway, he yanked off his helmet and gazed about him running a hand through his somewhat flattened hair, returning it back to its tawny brown. Taking in the darkened houses and the deserted streets he was grateful he had used his powers to silence his motor. It had certainly helped him remain inconspicuous in Virginia.

Hanging his helmet on the side of his bike, he noticed that the fuel gauge was leaning towards empty. After a quick glance that no one was around, he thought he might as well fill it up now. Holding a hand by the tank he closed his eyes in concentration and a minute later he saw that the gauge read: Full. With a tired smile of satisfaction he turned to head into the house.

He pressed the doorbell once, following with a soft knock. Waiting a few moments, he glanced at the windows, but curtains prevented him from seeing if anyone was headed towards the door. Glancing over his shoulders, he once again reassured himself that no one was around, and with a shrug, he placed his hand over the lock and quietly entered the house.

He managed to close the door with hardly a click and then stood for a moment, adjusting his eyes to the darkness. Dropping his backpack to the side, he then proceeded to find his way to the bathroom.

However, he was suddenly blinded by light and felt something hit his head.

“Shit!”

Little lights sparkled before him, his head swirling from the attack. He thought he heard frantic murmuring in the background, but before he could focus on it a strained male voice cut through. "Who the—what—Michael is that you?"

Still holding his head and wincing in pain, Michael answered. "Yes. Great seeing you too, Valenti."

Kyle tossed Liz's heavy textbook away sheepishly replying, "Sorry about that.” He rubbed his strained eyes, continuing, “We've all been on edge and barely sleeping. When we heard someone at the door and saw that it was four in the morning, well you can imagine our reaction."

Michael just grunted in reply, straightening up while still rubbing his head. So much for using the doorbell, he thought. Through narrowed eyes he muttered under his breath, "Be glad I didn't blast you."

Kyle heard him and nodded with slight relief at the thought. "I must say, the girls will be relieved to see you. Isabel's been freaking out for the last couple of days."

"I didn't sleep. I had to talk to Liz… I need to show her… I…" Michael stopped as he noticed shimmering green eyes staring at him. His voice trailed off into a whisper as he continued, "I have to know if it's true."

"Michael?" In the back of his mind he vaguely registered Kyle asking him something, and though Kyle had spoken louder, her soft voice was all that reached his ears. He stood in place, unsure if she wanted him to come closer... unsure if his own tired eyes weren't tricking him.

"Michael?" Another voice, louder and strained took over her soft one and soon Isabel came into sight. Isabel rushed towards him, her eyes wide with disbelief, her blonde hair in disarray.

"Oh my god. You're really here... you're really here." Her voice became scratchy whispers as she hugged him tightly, her eyes closing in relief. He felt her shudder against his chest, the sensation causing his shock to dissipate, and his arms slowly moved to hold her close.

He rubbed her back slightly in comfort as he quietly answered, "I'm here. I'm okay. Really." Though he spoke those words to calm Isabel, his gaze still held Maria's. She hadn't moved from the doorway, but after he spoke he could see a small smile appear on her tired, but beautiful face.

Isabel moved back to look at Michael, drawing his attention away from Maria. "I was so scared that maybe... that..." she turned her head away for a moment, but he still caught the tears beginning to glisten in her sorrowful eyes.

"I'm sorry. I just... I had to come back."

"You found something?" He jerked his head to the left, spying Liz tentatively moving closer. He observed her for a moment, seeing that since he had left she had changed. Though she looked as weary as the others, her eyes held a life to them. A life he had not seen since before graduation. Those eyes searched his now, filled with determination and hope.

Moving out of Isabel's embrace he nodded, "Yeah." He reached into his pocket, and pulled out the folded list. Glancing at it he noticed his hand was shaking slightly. Instinctively his hand clenched into a fist to still the tremors, but stopped when he noticed he was crumpling the already extremely creased list. Clearing his throat he unfolded it, smoothing it out against his leg before reaching out to hand it to Liz.

But as he did a voice broke the spell of silence in the hallway. "What is that?"

Looking up he saw Maria had moved forward now, her hair no longer hidden by shadows. His breath caught in his throat as he once again drank in the sight of her.

Before he could utter a word, Kyle spoke.

"It's the list of locations in Langley." His voice was hushed as he stared at the paper held in Michael's hand. "You know... I mean... you mean..." Kyle could no longer think coherently, the past several sleepless nights strongly affecting his mind.

Michael imperceptibly nodded, answering, "I know where he is."

Isabel and Maria seemed to gasp simultaneously, but his eyes now were focused on Liz.

Her eyes seemed to bore holes into the paper he still tightly held onto. She bit her lip as she seemed to focus all her concentration on it. Without a word he handed the list to her, realizing that she already knew why he had come back.

Delicately she reached out, her eyes closing as she just touched the paper.

She gasped and then he saw her fall.

Quickly he moved, catching her just before she hit her head against the ground. Cradling her he called out, but her eyes remained shut.

The others had crowded around her now, leaving just enough room to allow her air. Isabel reached out applying slight pressure on her neck. She sighed in relief as she moved her hand away, "She still has a pulse. Michael, tilt her head back and open her mouth."

As he did though Liz's body began to convulse, harsh coughs escaping her.

Kyle got up murmuring about getting some water. He returned a few seconds later and Michael took the glass from him, feeling stray droplets of water around it.

"Liz..." he called out again.

Only the same harsh coughs answered him.

Supporting her head he lifted the glass of water to her lips, but then her eyes fluttered open. In a panic she pushed against him and the glass, spilling some water.

Her breaths were fast and heavy now and her eyes were filled with fear.

Everyone but Michael called out to her, trying to calm her down. Michael could only stare, the dread in his stomach growing at the sight. What he had thought was right...

"Liz, are you okay? Can you tell us what you saw?" Kyle's concerned urgent words reached his ears as he saw him hold onto Liz's shaking head.

Her eyes wide she finally spoke, her voice trembling, "It's a trap."
Last edited by behrinthecity on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Hey everyone!

So I'm here a little earlier than two weeks-- finally had a break between paper writing-- so before I move on to my next assignment I thought I'd come and post. And thank you Ellie, Flamehair, jbangelo, Misha, magikhands, BDT, cherie, clueless, Scottie for your feedback! I love it! And great questions, but I shall let this part answer them for you. ;) So enjoy and see you in about two weeks! :D

Previously...

Seeing the fear and indecision in everyone's eyes Michael made his decision. "I've got a better idea. Why don't we get outta Dodge before they land on us? We leave."

Finally speaking up, Kyle asked, "And where do we go?"

Michael turned to him for a moment, then shoving his hands in his pockets he answered, "Anywhere but here. I mean, let's face it... they know who we are. It's over. ...We leave Roswell, we leave fast, and we leave as quietly as we can..." Unable to help himself he turned to Maria, his dark eyes silently conveying his regret... his goodbye. "We all go separately."
[From Graduation]
~ ~

The smell of tomatoes and herbs swirled in the air around him. The setting was dim, an ambience of romance creating a charged atmosphere of expectation. Kyle searched through the shadows, ignoring the faint rumble of his stomach.

Spaceboy.

He heard a lusty whisper, its echo floating in the scented steam that surrounded him. His eyes widened as he realized what Michael was dreaming about it.

PART THIRTY-FOUR

Canada- Liz and Isabel's House

“It’s a trap.”

She heard the tremor of fear in her voice. She could not say anything else, the same fear keeping her throat constricted.

Her mind remained miles away, the sight of flickering flames, billowing smoke, terrifyingly real.

Glass shattered and her eyes immediately shut tight, her body tensing. Strangely, she felt no sharp shards pierce her skin. Instead she finally registered the firm, but gentle touch of hands cradling her head.

Her eyes still closed a small smile began to appear on her face, her body calming at his touch. He was there... her need to believe overshadowing her usual logic, she clung to the thought. She was about to call out to him, her head already tilting upward to meet the lips she had yearned for so long.

“Liz?”

Her eyes flew open, registering light brown hair and gray-blue eyes. For a moment she stared up in confusion, searching his face, silently urging it to reveal darker strands and eyes filled with gold.

“Liz, can you hear me?” She heard her friend whisper, his hands lightly shifting on either side of her head. “Come on Parker, don’t give up on this world yet. Some of us still need you around.”

Unable to stop the brief, mirthless laughter, a huff of air escaped her, followed by a muttered, “Thanks.”

Her gaze averted under the quick respite she managed to hide the disappointment she felt at not seeing Max. But just as the thought appeared in her mind, she refocused on the truth of the situation… and dread and fear filled her once again.

Instantly her back tensed, but she forced herself to keep her emotions under control. She needed to tell the others what she saw… she needed to find a way to prevent it from happening.

Slowly she pushed herself up, vaguely aware of everyone watching her, prepared to rush to her aide. Holding up a hand, she assured them, “I’m okay… just… I was just shocked.”

“Maybe you should sit—” she heard Isabel suggest.

“No, no…” She shook her head. She could feel her limbs tingle with nervous energy and soon she began to pace.

“I… it’s just still hard to wrap my mind around it…” she murmured as she slowly stepped forward. Then she halted.

Her eyes roamed the room taking in the confusion and concern etched upon their faces and then her eyes settled on Michael. He remained the farthest back, his typical stoic mask hiding his emotions, but it wasn’t enough to hide the fear in his eyes. She noticed his gaze wasn’t on her, but the list that still remained in her hand.

She looked at it surprised she hadn’t dropped it in her panic. She eased her grip on it, before addressing everyone. “Maybe you guys should sit, though.”

No one moved.

She sighed. “Okay,” she softly spoke to herself, gathering her thoughts.

“There was an explosion.”

She saw everyone shift in place in reaction to her words.

“As soon as I touched the list I saw this building just burst into flames. I heard glass shatter.” She swallowed as her mind drifted into the unsettling image. “And the smoke… it engulfed the area… it actually felt like I couldn’t breathe there…” she trailed off as she noticed everyone exchanging glances.

“What?” She glanced at their faces, focusing on Maria as she answered.

“After you fainted… you were coughing.”

A trembling hand gradually made its way to her throat. Suddenly she felt very thirsty. Eyeing the glass of water on the table by Michael, she moved towards it.

Just as she lifted the glass towards her lips, she felt the paper taken from her hand.

Looking down, she saw it within Michael’s clenched hand.

“So what do we do?” Though he had muttered the words, she could hear the plea behind them. How do we get Max back?

But before she could answer Maria had come over and taken the sheet. Quickly reading it she gasped. “Is this why—?”

Cutting her off, Michael replied, “Yes. I had to come back, it just… it sounded—”

“What does it say?” Isabel interrupted.

Maria read out, “It’s time. In one week go here. Be careful. They’ll be expecting you.” Lowering the letter to gaze at the others she added, “It points to one location…”

“I know,” Michael softly spoke. With a weary sigh and running a hand through his hair he continued, “I would have gone straight there. I mean… it was the first thing I thought. But after all this time, I couldn’t afford to mess things up. Not when he’s already paid for my mistake. We never should have agreed to split up. And I’m not planning to, anytime soon. And… well I just had to know. I mean… I don’t know what to think about these notes I keep getting. What’s this guy’s angle?”

“I don’t know, Michael. The flash didn’t reveal anything about your mysterious ‘helper’,” Liz answered. A pensive look on her face, she added, “We can’t even be absolutely sure whether Max is really at that location.”

“So you think this is all some elaborate trap for us?” Isabel questioned.

Just as Michael and Liz were about to respond, Isabel forged on. “Because if it was… then why wait this long to do it? This person or alien could have gone ahead with this plan if it had nothing to do with Max a long time ago, and so far he hasn’t harmed you at all, Michael.”

“That’s still no reason to trust him!” Michael burst out.

After a moment of tense silence, Liz spoke. “Well, we’ll have to take it on faith that whoever wrote this note is trying to help us. Isabel has a point. If it is a trap just for us, why wait until now?”

With a frustrated sigh, Michael nodded in agreement. She knew he still wasn’t one to trust easily, but she also knew how much he wanted the words on that note to be true… to finally be able to rescue Max.

Quietly, she heard him ask, “So was there anything else you remember from your premonition?”

“Umm…” she paused as she focused on the haunting flash. “Yeah… I…I remember… the sound of squealing tires among all the destruction…” Liz trailed off, her mind seeking an explanation to the sound. At a thought, determination lit her eyes again, and she stated, “So, we’ll need to find a fast, sturdy car.”

“But they’ll see us for sure,” Isabel commented uncertainly.

“They’re already expecting us… the thing is they’re not expecting us to know about the bomb. Maybe if we went in less than a week…” Liz trailed off once more as she turned to Michael. “When did you get this note?”

“Um…” Michael checked his watch for the date. “Two days ago… Tuesday.”

With a slight nod, Liz quickly formulated a plan. “Okay…that gives us five days before they expect us to be there. We’ll need a day to get everything ready—supplies—first aid kit, food, water, energy drinks, blanket, clothes… and then we need to rest. We’re not going to be successful in fighting agents and outrunning an explosion if we’re exhausted.” Though over the years this kind of situation had almost become their norm, her tone still held the incredulity that this is what they truly faced.

She nodded slightly, beginning to believe in her plan. “We could leave early tomorrow morning. That way we’ll look like kids going on a road trip or something, to the border patrol.”

“Um… Liz, not a bad start… but what do we do when we get there? They’ll probably have more than just a bomb prepared for us.” As much as Kyle wanted to believe they could do this, he could not move past the knowledge of how ruthless this Special Unit was.

Though she still feared her powers, unable to fully accept they were a part of her, she knew she had to move past it. The first time all she could do was wait for the others when they went to rescue Max. Even when she revealed what she knew to Valenti, she had to wait for him to go into the base. But this time, she had the abilities… and she wasn’t going to let her fear stop her.

And perhaps… her new power might help them stay one step ahead of the agents… for there was no way the agents could expect them to have blueprints to the place… and all with just a touch of her hand.

“Use every ability we have.” She lifted a hand as she said this, steadily gazing at Kyle. She watched him observe her hand, his eyebrows rising, while she willfully ignored the tingling sensation of the green trails flowing to her fingertips.

“So then… we have a plan.” She heard Michael comment behind her and as she turned, her hand lowering, she saw a brief smile flicker on his face.

She returned the smile, briefly as well, answering, “We have a plan.”

Hearing a light clap, she and the others turned towards the sound. She was not surprised to see Isabel glance at her watch, beginning to take charge and organize things.

“Well before we head out, I think a meal and some rest are in order.” The suggestion hardly out of her mouth, Isabel already started heading to the kitchen.

Liz silently agreed to that, finally lifting the glass of water to her lips. As she gulped the water down she saw Kyle following Isabel, his eyes glancing at Michael as he commented with a smirk, “I’m game for anything as long as it’s not pasta.”

Falling back onto a couch, Michael growled out a threat, too tired to follow through at the moment, “One of these days, Valenti.”

Liz raised her eyebrows at that, glancing at Maria who mirrored the same action, neither girl understanding the connection.

Before either of them could speak, Michael groaned out, a hand slowly running down his face, “Don’t ask.”

Both girls just shrugged their shoulders, rolling their eyes thinking, *Boys*.

Liz then went to the hallway closet bringing out a blanket. “Here.” She handed it to Michael who gratefully accepted it, already lying across the couch.

She decided to go lie down in her room for awhile, the premonition finally taking its toll on her already weary mind. But just as she left the room, she noticed Maria hovering by Michael.

Wanting to give the two privacy, she continued down the hallway, but their whispers still reached her ears.

Michael’s low voice was tentative as he asked, “Stay with me?”

Surreptitiously she turned towards them, but she couldn’t see her best friend’s response. However, she soon saw Maria sit down, Michael’s outstretched arm curling around her.

After a moment of silence Maria crashed onto Michael’s chest, her freely flowing tears soaking his shirt as she held him close, and softly cried, “God, I missed you.”

Liz soon had to turn her head as she saw them devour each other’s lips in a passionate reunion.

Making her way to her room, her hand found its way to the ring that still delicately hung upon her necklace.

Softly, she whispered, “Please be there Max.”
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Sigh. I'm really sorry guys. Part 35 is still in the first round of betaing. I promise you though that as soon as I get it back I will try my hardest to get it posted as soon as possible. I can at least tell you it will be a long part.

Hope all is well with all of you. Thanks again for all your patience.
behrinthecity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrinthecity »

Hi everyone. First I just want to apologize again and again... how long the wait has been. Things have significantly slowed down in betaing and due to finals craze I haven't managed to give Parts 35 and 36 as much attention and revision as I wanted to. BUT... I have written this in between part that was inspired by something my beta mentioned to me after I posted Part 34. And after much convincing and reassurance I've decided to go ahead and post this. Consider it a peace offering (or perhaps bribe? ;)) to tide you until I get the other two parts out. So I'll be away for around two weeks-- with the rest of my finals this coming week and spring break right after. So I shall see you all again in early April. I hope I manage to speed things up then.

Many thanks to Scottie for doing a last check and easing my mind that the part is okay. ;)

And I'm sorry I've been bad about replying to all your lovely comments!

Flamehair- awww thank you for checking in so much and those smileys-- I love the signs especially! Sorry for making you wait so long and um... that viking smiley with the club... I hope that club isn't meant for me! ;)

Misha- Hey there... as I mentioned in the PM I'm sorry for making you wait forever for a new part... and now especially for postponing Part 36 by one more part... I hope you can enjoy it though. (And hopefully as a study break I can get over to your story to read your new post! ;))

cherie- Good good, hold on to that feeling-- belief and confidence in this plan is what is going to get the gang through it. ;)

scottie- Thanks for explaning things and for checking in! And as you've seen now.. there's no way Max could forget he's in love with Liz. If anything that's all that remains of his thoughts.

clueless- Hi! Thanks for constantly checking in and the bumps. Interesting thoughts on Cal... all I can say right now is that you'll receive your answers to that in upcoming parts. ;)

Ellie- heh heh love that term-- Spamtastic!! :D And again I'm sorry that you've had to wait even longer than two weeks. I hope this somewhat makes up for that and the subsequent wait too.

BDT- hey there! I'm glad you loved so much of the last part and I will say that you will find out more about Liz's flash by Part 36. And for Cal his part in all this will be revealed bit by bit starting with Part 35.
magikhands- I hope RL is a little better for you right now! And as you and a number of others have mentioned... A dreamer moment you shall have. ;)

suicide_eagle_rath- Welcome to the story and thank you for those comments. :oops: I hope I manage to keep that up for you.

Timelord31- Sorry again this has been so long and as said above I'm hoping to get the other two out early April. And from then on... well we'll see if I can get things on some sort of a regular schedule!

jbangelo- About Cal... you'll find out his intentions a little later. ;) And aww I hope this doesn't deter you from the story, but in terms of K/I... only really in his thoughts/dreams.

561270- Thank you for the bump. :)

Now finally on to the part... Enjoy.

A/N: This is what I call the "lost" part of what happened to Max right after we left off with him in Part 32. Also note that the actual time passing in reality is far shorter than what Max's perspective makes it appear to be.
[Also... one line taken from Sexual Healing.]

Song: Heaven (Slow version) by DJ Sammy

Previously...

With frustration Max tugged at his chains, coughing immediately as the one around his neck pressed against his windpipe. Once he had regained his breath he finally shouted out, his voice hoarse and desperate, “Why are you doing this?”

PART 34A

Blackness.

It was all he saw. Unable to feel anything, it was almost a comfort from the nightmare that had held him captive for far too long.

He drifted in and out of awareness, the blackness broken by small bursts of white light appearing as if they were shooting stars. Every so often, faint blue light crackled in the distance, but he heard nothing. He felt no warmth, felt no coldness. He had no sense of how he lay there under the midnight sky.

During his brief moments of consciousness, his sight was all that let him know he was still alive. Only the erratic sparks of the stars reminded him that he had not been blinded. He watched impassively unable to muster an emotion towards their fleeting presence—not curiosity, not yearning, not even dread.

Moments later the stars disappeared.

He did not know how long he stared into the blackness. He did not even realize he was finally resting, that the pain had stopped. But then swirls of white began to appear in the inky sky.

They continued to fly around him, accompanied by a prickling sensation cutting through the numbness of his mind. Awareness fled back to him bringing an onslaught of pain and fear, leaving him gasping for air, for relief from the oppressive emotions.

Pressure weighed heavily on his neck and he began to physically struggle, aware now of his sore body jerking in place. A hand somehow made its way to his neck, tugging at the offending item there.

At the movement, the frantic swirls of white ceased. Blackness was all he saw again.

But this time there was a definitive shape to the darkness, a few creases noticeable in its center. He gradually became aware of his fingers curled to the sides of it and then a look of consternation on his face gazing back at him from a mirror. His fingers continued to tug at the black item gracing his neck—a bowtie.

Frustrated grunts escaped him as he did. It just wasn’t fitting right.

His hands gripped on the tight tie, about to rip it off when a low voice came from behind, “All ready, Maximillion?”

His head jerked over his shoulder, his features slowly relaxing at the sight of his best friend.

With a sigh, he softly tugged at the bowtie again. “Yeah.”

“Let’s go get you married then,” Michael lightly commented, placing a supportive hand on his shoulder and giving him a proud smile.

With one last glance in the mirror, Max followed his friend, staring at the back of his black jacket. He hesitated at the sight of Michael’s form wavering.

Curiously, he tilted his head wondering what was happening, but he was given no moment to process the thought further. The entire room began to blur, shifting in wisps of muted colors, darkness threatening to shroud it once more. Fortunately, the colors solidified again.

Oh thinking about our younger years
There was only you and me
We were young and wild and free

He stood in front of a small church, oblivious to all but the heavenly vision of white approaching him. And in that moment…he forgot to breathe.

Now nothing can take you away from me
We’ve been down that road before
But that’s over now…
You keep me coming back for more

Delicate white roses were cradled in her gloved hands. Creases of silk moved gracefully behind the wrapped stems, hugging the petite curves of his love. Wisps of white lace covered her soft brown locks and shrouded her beautiful face in mist.

Baby, you’re all that I want
When you’re lying here in my arms

He focused upon her face, seeking clarity to the features he had etched into his memory long ago, the features that he had gently touched, reveling in the connection through his fingers and lips.

I’m finding it hard to believe…
We’re in Heaven

He drank her entire sight in, her features becoming clearer as she stepped closer. But the steps were not fast enough for him.

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart

In each soft, measured step he saw her image briefly transform—promises of their near future flickering to life in the shadowed creases of her white silk dress.

It isn’t too hard to see…
We’re in Heaven

We’re in Heaven

Oh, once in your life
You find someone…

Finally her small, smooth hand joined his sweaty palm. At her dazzling smile, his tongue darted out towards his dry, expectant lips. In moments he would be kissing her, but waiting for that moment…was torture. Yet, it came sooner than he thought.

Who will turn your world around,
Pick you up when you’re feeling down
Now nothing can change what you mean to me
There’s a lot that I can’t say…

They were running down the aisle, hand in hand. Just as they reached the end he scooped her up, twirling her in his arms and leaned in for a kiss—of passion and promise. A kiss that unified their souls.

Just hold me now,
Cause our love will light the way…

Lost in the sweetness of her lips he reopened his eyes to see that they were in a plush, dimly-lit hotel room. He was given no time to take in his new surroundings, though, at the sensation of gloved fingers tugging at his neck.

Baby you’re all that I want
When you’re lying here in my arms

Gently pushing him onto the bed, she whispered, her breaths tickling his neck, “It’s time for this to come off.”

I’m finding it hard to believe…

Stunned breathless, he could only bow his head forward in a short nod of acceptance, his lips quirking upward at her seductive gaze.

Her fingers twirled around the creased black cloth, pulling at its knot and moments later it was finally off.

We’re in Heaven

Breath slowly came back to him, but much remained caught in his lungs as she helped him remove his jacket. She cast it aside, turning to him with a determined glint in her amused eyes. He followed her gaze, landing upon her still covered hand pushing against his chest.

His body easily obeyed lying back on the bed. Initially, his eyes shut and his back tensed at the unexpected sensation of cold, unyielding metal before the soft, smooth sheets of the bed registered in his mind. He willed himself to relax as his…wife… began to undress him, freeing him from the constraints of the rented tuxedo.

Love is all that I need

As she trailed a finger down his now bare chest, he thought he caught a flash of silver. But yet a stubborn pout remained on her gentle face.

“I can’t do it to you.”

He held onto her hand placing it over his heart, “You already have. Here.”

It isn’t too hard to see…

A small smile began to replace the disappointed pout of her lips, but he did not wait for it to fully appear. In a breath, their lips connected once more, his desire pouring into her.

We’re in Heaven

His eyes closed as he lost himself to the sensation of Liz. But once he did, her image never returned.

I've been waiting for someone
Something to arrive

He sensed the kiss had long ended, but once more the starless night stretched out before him. It hid the precious images he desperately prayed to appear. Bring her back. Please bring her back.

But the fathomless black denied his pitiful wish. It remained around him, oppressive in its constancy. He could feel nothing, barely aware of how his body lay. All he could know was the wispy memory of her touch, fading out of existence.

Love to come along

He yearned for the gentle touch down his chest, the sight of her pout at seeing no silver light. He yearned to feel her slowly remove his clothes, each touch to his gradually exposed skin igniting desire and passion.

Then the darkness began to lift.

Now our dreams are coming true

White bled in, its brightening light still distant. For a brief moment he thought he saw her brilliant smile and shining brown eyes framed by a delicate white veil. He focused on the building whiteness, seeking her.

Through the good times
And the bad
I'll be standing there by you

The waning memory returned, granting him the exhilarating sight of them running down an aisle, hand in hand. He pushed harder to hold on to the memory, never wanting to let go.

Baby, you're all that I want
When you're lying here in my arms
I'm finding it hard to believe
We're in heaven
And love is all that I need
It isn't too hard to see…

But her hand somehow slipped from his, and yet she continued running, happiness shining from her face. He saw her white dress billow behind her, the silk filling his vision. Lost in the brightness of its material he was only vaguely aware of her calling to him—

We’re in Heav—

“Wake up, Mr. Evans.”

The voice was harsh and low, nothing like hers. He struggled slightly against the now endless whiteness, wishing to hide in his dreams, his fingers stretching out for her phantom figure. But his senses soon heightened with awareness of where he was.

Coldness seeped into his bones, and caused his raw skin to burn with icy fire. He sensed his limbs still held steadfast against unyielding metal, but something had changed.

Though he released his breaths uneasily, no binding pressure pushed against them. His eyes fluttered in relief for a moment as he drew in a deeper breath, regretting the action as his throat burned at the imprint the previous chain had left on him.

A gloved hand reached out then, lightly dabbing at his neck. He flinched at the touch, his eyes shut tight willing for the vision of Liz to appear once more.

But the harsh voice returned him to his reality. “Finish cleaning it up. Make sure it continues breathing, for at least another week.”

Staring into the bright white light above him, he let his mind drift with one hope to see the sight of silk and roses…of smiles and kisses… of heaven… of Liz.

Oh…oh…oh…
We’re in Heaven.