Baby, It's You (CC, Mature) - Chapter 38 (Page 12) - Completed: 07/31/2021

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Baby, It's You - Chapter 7 - 05/16/2021

Post by Parker1947 »

One hour later,

The kissing had stopped almost immediately after the kids stopped their spying and went back to their game. Liz had done what she done best and run. With Charlie planning on spending the night with his grandparents. And Micah spending night at Phillip and Diane’s home with her father, but Max had no energy for spending time in his boyhood home when he could not think of anything but a stunning brunette.

Because Liz, not unlike Cinderella, she ran from his arms.

Instead of staying. He went after her, and it was not long after as Liz trudged up the stairs because she did not want something simple as an elevator to get in the way of her mood as her mood was one of fraying emotions.

As if a simple kiss…

Okay, it was not a simple kiss. It was a torrent of passion. Something that made her see what she had missing for the last seven years. She had been trying to find it in the arms of countless men over the years since she lost her virginity. But it never worked. And she was always gone the next morning, or if not before the sun was up. And now she was seeing in a simple kiss, what she had been missing.

And he was getting on her nerves. Why cannot I get over Max? she cursed out loud because she knew she was not interrupting anyone because her neighbour was the one, she was harboring these illicit thoughts about, the person who lived in 2A. It has been seven years for goodness’ sake. He should not still have the capacity to get to me or to make me question everything I have done during these years she muttered.

“I am a scientist for heaven’s sake” as she took her thoughts out of her heard and moaning to herself as she slammed the door of her rental apartment and looked around. A building that held memories. But was totally transformed since she last lived in Roswell.

A little like her she knew; she had transformed herself from that day when Max had saved her life when a bullet almost took her life. She was forever changed on that day and turned into a girl that was far from the girl she had been before it. And it was not as simple as growing up. Because you can never be the same person you were as a child.

You grow up. You live.

And she did live. And so much good and bad had come into her life as she had come to know Max. And when she found a world, she had never expected to have found. Still, it was one that at times did turn into a nightmare, and so she had run, and she had once again transformed herself into being esteem in her chosen career.

She should be celebrating that feat…

Because not that many people could say the same thing. That they had a career they absolutely loved and worked hard to improve.

Because she knew she was going places. Only if she stayed on the track she was going. She could have everything she would want in a life. She could have glory. She could have success. She might even have that family she wanted. But she stood to lose all that if she were dragged back into old times, and by a passion that felt good, but would only bring her pain.

Because she had lost someone who had not gotten a chance to become adult. Therefore, Liz had experienced the hard times that had come with that loss, and she did not want to put her heart on the line and cause more pain.

Because fate was cruel the first time.

Why they are not the same way, now. When she was older, and did know better, and knew the ways of how the world went… “This is craziness,” she told herself as she heard the first knock on her door.

“Knock, knock” came the sound at the door.

“Who is it?” Liz asked as if she did not know who it was. She did not live here in Roswell anymore. She was a resident of the world. Anyplace other than Roswell. So, she knew no one would be visiting her, and she knew Charlie was now safely at the Deluca/Valenti household and probably in bed by now. Because he had called like he promised, and she had promised to meet him for breakfast the next morning.

Now she was alone. And capable of making a big, big mistake.

“It’s me, Max” came the voice behind the door.

“Why?” Liz asked as she reached for the door and opened it and faced her devilishly handsome ex-boyfriend. “Why would you follow me?” she asked as she wanted to slam the door again on his face.

“I live next door,” Max sighed.

“Were you not supposed to be spending the night at your parent’s place with your daughter?” Liz asked softly as she did not know the situation involving Max being Micah’s father. After all he had pledged total honestly, but there were still somethings she did not know. And they both knew it.

“Mom and Dad understand, and Micah is being spoiled” Max sighed with a slight smile. “Which of course is one of the benefits of being the only grandchild.”

“Is she Max?” Liz wondered “Is Micah their grandchild?” as she finally found some of her balance in questioning what she did not know. Which was to ask, why in the world Max was raising the little girl when she looked like she was someone’s else child, when he did have a child who was out there in a galaxy far away from their own.

“Of course, she is,” Max said as he glanced behind her and into the apartment. It was so like his, which was next door. Fate, you like to be funny do you not? “But first, can I come in?” as he would do anything to be able to go in, and spend a few more minutes with the women who held his heart Even tell the truth he thought.

“Fine,” Liz sighed as she was clearly weary, but reluctant to say no to Max. She had a hard time saying those words “But only a few minutes, okay?” she asked. “Because I am tired. Too tired of this. And I need some space.”

“In some ways you have seven years of space,” Max murmured as he did feel lousy about keeping his ex-girlfriend in the dark about weighty matters. But it was not like he wanted to acknowledge them himself and saying the words out loud would mean having to acknowledge them to Liz, because she had always been able to keep him honest. As he had been able to tell her everything, almost from the beginning and when he could not, then that usually led to the angsty period they knew so well. “I know I should not have come here because yes, you have your life. You deserve time alone. Without me raining on your parade but I also know you deserve answers to your obvious questions. To start with, yes, Micah is my daughter,” he murmured as he said the words out loud. “I have been raising her from the day she was born. She was placed in my arms at birth, and she came home with me” he sighed. “And I have been her father since that day.”

“Who is her mother?” Liz asked as if the mere thought tore at her heart. She hated thinking of any women in Max’s arms when it was here at one time especially when she had been confronted on that issue by seeing Tess with Max at one time. Which meant the memories were harsh and all too real, and not some nightmare or dream.

“A woman named Yvonne Simmons” Max said with a degree of honestly that he knew that Liz deserved because one day he would have to tell his daughter the truth, the full truth, and nothing but the truth because he would never be able to keep it from her when he knew that Micah one day would come to him wanting to know the name of her birth mother. And he would have to tell her “She was a waitress at Cow Patties. To make a long story short. She did not want Micah, and so when I gave her a chance to walk away and give me custody of Micah. She took it, and walked away…”

“Cow Patties?” Liz asked as the thought of her ex at that kind of bar was foreign to her. “You hate to drink. Why would you want to be there?”

“Maybe I picked it up as a hobby once you left me?” Max asked as Liz only looked at him wearily because it was almost like she could read his mind and know the truth. “My life spun out there for awhile when it was obvious you did not want to come back to me?”

“Max,” Liz sighed.

“It’s the truth,” Max sighed. “You might have been able to pick up your life,” he muttered even when Liz’s eyes changed to ones of extreme weariness as if she were not buying his story. “But when I lost you, and because I was at a loss to know what I wanted in my life. Since so much of my life was about being with you and especially since I did not know if I would be on this planet long-term, and almost I wasn’t,” he said simply. “I spun out of control for a time…”

“I know,” Liz sighed I remember that time she thought. “I did not go to boarding school for the sake of it being boarding school Max,” she muttered. “I went there because my life had gone totally screwy. I needed balance. I needed sanity. And even then, those first days at boarding school was a total whirlwind and ones where I needed a total adjustment because it was a total change of pace from what I was used to. They were like normal teenagers…” What a concept for a girl who was romanced by an alien she mused. “They were drinking themselves. Playing games with the headmistress who only wanted to keep them safe. Safe is what I wanted, but still, I could not help but find myself wanting to be a normal teenager for once. And so, I became friendly with my roommate, and we partied.”

“You partied?” Max asked dubiously.

“Yes,” Liz sighed. “But I quickly picked myself up, and I made something of myself. So, yes, I know something about being out of control but still I know you Max. You do not strike me as someone who would go to Cow Patties unless it was to attend one of Maria’s concerts when Jim was still a singing country musician” she asked as she did know that Jim had ultimately gone back to the station and worked himself back to being Sheriff.

You know me so well Max wanted to say but did not. “Still…”

“Still what?” Liz asked. “Why is it important to you that you make me believe something that I cannot fathom of you Max?”

“Micah is my daughter,” Max insisted.

“I am sure she is,” Liz sighed. “If you said you have had her in your home since she was born. But we both know that she looks like Charlie, and we both know the situation that we are not talking about. Micah and Charlie look too like they are twins and given that you and Michael are two vastly different people.”

“We were, were we not?” Max said softly as he hated thinking of memories of the friend.

“Yes,” Liz nodded. “I know you and Isabel love him like a brother?”

“He is my brother,” Max said automatically as he bristled at the thought of his fallen brother.

“And you would do anything for your brother, and for Isabel” Liz asked as if she was finally nailing down the true circumstances. “And you definitely would step in to make thing right when you feel like you need to do it, right?”

Max did not answer.

Oh, Max Liz thought as she could not help but see the burden in her former boyfriend. The angst, and the pain in his eyes. “Max, I am not trying to make this harder for you” Liz sighed as she hated this for him because she had the sense that this was truly eating him alive. “It’s true, is it not?” she wondered as she connected the dots. “It was Michael, this Yvonne Simmons was involved with?”

Max did not want to answer, but he knew Liz needed the truth and after all she did for him. And all he had brought to her life.

She deserved the truth.

“Yes,” Max said simply.

“So, what you and Isabel refuse to tell me is that Michael abandoned you guys and Roswell because he got this woman pregnant. Neither Michael or Yvonne wanted the baby so you stepped in and took custody of the baby because you were afraid of how special she might be one day since we all know genetics play different from child to child or family to family?” she asked. “Do I have this right?”

Only partially Max thought.

“Max?” Liz asked at the silence coming from her former boyfriend. “I know it is something that is hurting you guys,” she thought of as she could see something was obviously bugging Isabel and she was covering it with the glow of her upcoming wedding, but both she and Max were missing a part of themselves. “I think you know by now that you can trust me and that you know that I will not tell anyone if you do not want me too.”

“Would you tell Maria?” Max asked.

“If I thought it was necessary,” Liz said honestly. “Max, they shared something special once upon a time. Just like the two of us. They have history, and baggage that neither of us are telling the truth about. She and Charlie should know what is going on with Michael and to deny them that would be unfair?”

“Are you sure it would be that unfair?” Max said with a word of accusation. “When Michael did not even know about Charlie?” Max muttered as if it was the same.

“Come on Max. Would it have made a difference if he had?” Liz asked honestly. “Seriously tell me it would have. If Maria would have come back once she had found out and told him that she was pregnant, and that it was his baby. Would he have stayed by her side or wanted to?” she murmured. “Or would he have resented Maria and the baby?”

“I do not know what he would have done” Max muttered because truthfully, they did not know. “All I know is he loved her, and he wanted her back.”

“I think we do know,” Liz sighed. “As we both wish he had been different and maybe even he wishes he could have been different but truthfully Michael was not in the place to want to be a father, especially so soon after his baggage with Hank had manifested itself, and how tentative his life was shaping to be because of he had to endure by being in that kind of home and Maria knew that, and that is why she took the decision out of his hand.”

“We could have been there for Charlie” Max sighed. “You do not know what it means to be special and to be alone, without support and I want to believe it could have been different for Michael if he had known…”

Liz could only sigh at the decisions they had made that had consequences to them, and ones that were still being felt today and she felt for Max because there was something of this situation that she did not know. “You have not told me Max, what has happened?” Liz asked as she ignore what could have been if Maria had chosen differently. “Where is Michael?” she asked. “And I think we both know that Charlie is not alone out there in the world. He is not you and Isabel or even Michael. Charlie has his mother, and he has me in his life. We know what to look out for” she sighed as she thought of all the time she had spent with the little boy and knew how much of an awesome mother Maria was to her child.

“You might know what to look for, but you do not know what it means to really be inflicted by it,” Max sighed. “We both know that you are special, because of me,” he allowed because he did always curse what he had done to her life “But still you can ignore your gifts if you want to, and I suspect you tend to go with that approach in your life. Which is your right because you are not one of us. But being one of us is different.” he asked as Liz turned her head away from Max. “We should have known about Charlie?”

“Charlie is safe Max,” Liz sighed as it was unnerving how Max could read her like a book. She had disowned her gifts, and they had laid dormant, by choice. It has been so long; I do not even know what I can do she thought. For her sanity, she needed to go on with life and leave that part of her life go, and her gifts had diminished over time. “He has a fantastic life with Maria in New York, and because I am often there in the city. I can tell you myself that you do not have to worry about him. Maria loves her son, and if Charlie is indeed special, then he is in safe hands.”

Max nodded.

“You have not told me Max,” Liz asked. “You have been telling me everything other than what is going on with Michael?”

Max finally cracked. Seeing Liz so compassionate and interested in knowing, Max knew he did not have the energy to keep the façade going anymore. “He did not leave. Us, or Roswell,” Max said finally as he sat down on the couch as he finally had enough of their pacing around. “Yeah, he did not want to raise Micah, and that will sting her when she finally finds out the truth one day. Which I plan to do once day when she is old enough to really comprehend it. But back in during those beginning days. I did have plans to raise her regardless of what happened with Michael, but I did have hopes that once he saw his daughter that he would change his mind and want to be apart of her life. But before his daughter was born…”

“What happened Max?” Liz asked as she took his hand as she also sat down on the couch beside him as she could see that her former boyfriend was emotional.

“Michael did not leave Roswell…” Max muttered.

“You have said that before…” Liz asked. “So, if he did not leave Roswell. What has happened to him Max?”

“He got sick” Max said simply.

“What?” Liz asked as this was the one thing she had not assumed or guessed of the true circumstance. “I thought you people cannot get sick?”

“You would think so, and normally we do not” Max sighed as he cringed at the memories. “But apparently we can,” he muttered. “Or to Michael it could. Because Isabel and I do not know how it happened, but it did happen…”

“My god,” Liz asked. “What happened?”

“We do not know. It was simple as one day Michael fainted, and went into a deep coma” Max said softly. “And he never woke up.”

“Do you mean that he is dead?” Liz asked in horrified silence.

“No” Max was quick to reassure Liz. “I am sorry for giving you that impression. All of it is so simple. He still is in that coma and has been in one for five years and there has been nothing we could do to bring him back to us” he thought. “And nothing we have done has worked” said softly as the pain still rested in his heart.

“Oh Max,” Liz said softly as she saw the pain in Max. As she knew too well how close Michael and Isabel were to him which is why she had done some of the stuff during their relationship because she had known how close Michael was to Max and how if he had lost him than it would be no life for Michael. No matter how much he would try to move on. Which is how the future version of Max had gotten an in with her, and as a result, it had cost their relationship immensely.

“I miss him,” Max said softly. “We battled so much when he was awake. We butted heads, but you are right. Michael is my brother. We are family. He and Isabel are the only two I have that come from our original origins. I love Mom and Dad. I love Micah. She is my daughter. That will not change. Whether Michael wakes up tomorrow or never wakes up. But still to me. My sister and Michael are my family. And it has been unbearable to be unable to help Michael. To know I have a power to heal. And the one person who needed my gift is someone I could not help…”

“Why not?” Liz asked as she was at a loss to understand. “You have the gift. To heal. You were able to in the past?”

“Yes, it worked before, but it refuses to work now, which is what I do not get” Max sighed as he thought of the guilt, he faced daily due his abilities and the pain that ate at him, of those he had not been able to help. “But then, it did not work with Alex?”

“Alex was too far gone” Liz said as the mention of his fallen friend attacked her heart, and her memories of Alex flooded her brain of how much she still missed him. “With me, I was still hanging on when you got to be me in time. And the same can be said with Kyle. But you were unable to get to Alex in time…”

“Yeah,” Max murmured as it still was raw the fact, he had not been able to save Alex and the fact they would later find out who was behind the circumstances that had left to his death. It was truly raw and gut punching. And it had taken a lot to come back from that for him and Liz, and in many ways, they had been unable to, and it had cost them ultimately the end of their relationship. “I wish I could have known, or gotten to him in time,” he said of Alex.

“I know,” Liz acknowledged. “I do not blame you for not being able to do it. Because I have learned in my life so far, the same thing could be said for anyone. You can only do so much” Liz sighed. “Any gift has its limits” she sighed. “As with life. You can only do so much because what is fated to happen will happen regardless of our best efforts.”

“Unfortunately,” Max sighed.

“Max, I am sure you have done your best for Michael all this time,” Liz murmured. “The human body will always mystify us in why some people are inflicted by the worst and yet others are totally fine, and able to handle what life throws at them” she allowed. “You cannot blame yourself because I am sure you have tried everything because despite your alien genetic matter and your abilities. You are still largely human, and maybe there is something we do not know that is inflicted on your friend?”

“But it has not been enough,” Max sighed. “He has not come back to us.”

“Which is sometimes how it works,” Liz sighed. “Life in that regards sucks.”

“Yes, it does, does it not?” Max murmured as he saw the warmth in Liz’s face and was amazed by it. Such simple act. One of compassion, and there was no judgment in her eyes because Liz was not that kind of person. She wanted to help. Even when she ended up being hurt by being friendly and being supportive and Max knew he had often took that kindness for granted and he would forever be sorry for that “I am sorry for letting it pour out, and putting it onto you?”

“I asked you Max” Liz smiled. “I wanted to know, and so you told me. I could see how much burden both you and Isabel and especially you because Isabel has Kyle, but you do not have anyone who is that support. I am sorry for that and plus, I needed to know, and I wish you did not have to go through this on top of trying to raise Micah.”

“Micah helps me get through the days” Max sighed until these last few days when you walked back into life and brightened it by your simple presence.

“I bet,” Liz said as she could not help but smile once again and Max loved every minute of it. “One day, it will get better.”

“I hope so,” Max sighed but he knew he doubted it. Especially, if Michael was still in his suspended animation. He did not foresee that it would be getting better…

“You are a remarkable man” Liz murmured as she could see the burden on Max’s face and she felt for him and wished it could be better for him because Max did not deserve this pain because all he wanted to do, was to help, and be there for those he loved.

“I appreciate you Liz,” Max sighed. “Thank you for being here for me. I forgot how good it is to talk to you.”

“We were friends once upon a time,” Liz acknowledged as she knew Max needed a hug and decided to give one. And Max was stunned by the simplicity of the embrace, and one that made him remember the times before it got complicated. When they were friends. When looking at her was a breath of fresh air before that air got tainted by growing up, and pain, and angst.

“Are we still friends?” Max asked softly as he did not know whether he wanted to be in the friend zone or not because he remembered to much of how it was to be with her, and to feel her touch, and it was making him crazy to feel her, and to know how lucky he was at one time.

“We will always be friends,” Liz said softly in response as she did not know if she could back to simply being friends with this man. Whose stare sent her heart fluttering into a quivering mess and made her question all sorts of decision as she sat back from the embrace as they just stared into those eyes that had brought so much into her life since that day ten years before. God, I hopeless with this man she thought.

“Liz…” Max said in a faint tone that she almost did not hear it, but she did…

“Um, I think you should leave” Liz said softly, but neither took the chance to get off the couch and away from each other “Max…”

“What?” Max asked as he felt paralyzed as they both felt them to go into a kiss, as they foreheads touched each other, and both had a chance to pull away, but neither did as they felt the tenderness of each other as the went in for a kiss, “Oh god” they both thought as the fell against the couch, as a long-ago passion caught fire.

The next morning,

The sun was barely out but the sun that was in the sky was blaring through the windows and Liz could feel her eyes opening and she knew she had gone crazy the previous night. As she could tell that she was still on the couch laying on a shirtless Max oh god, he is sexy without a shirt she was thinking. And it was the best night of sleep I have had in months she thought as she could see that she was still only in her black bra, and her dress was on the floor.

While he still had on his pants, but no shirt.

It told her that they had stopped themselves before it went any further although with Liz without her clothes, it had gone pretty far before restraint returned to the both of them, but they had fallen asleep with her in his arms, on the couch as neither wanting to part of the other, even though they should have but still they had been in the throws of their adrenaline-fueled passion.

Thank god Charlie is still at Amy and Jim she thought. Oh god, Charlie. She thought as she remembered the breakfast date as she saw the clock on the wall. It was eight in the morning. She had to get going.

Which meant returning to land of reality. She knew she should have been waiting until Max woke up before she sneaked off. And it was not like she had not done a fair amount of sneaking in these years since she had not gone there with Max.

Right, she muttered to herself. She certainly had never gone there with Max, and if only they had, then maybe some of the deepest of their angst could have been lifted off their shoulders. That would have been nice. Not to deal with some of that crap.

But this was different. This escalating things in ways neither should be going. Especially not on this particular weekend. She needed time to think. So, she collected her dress from the floor and walked into the bedroom and collected her wardrobe for a planned run, so that she could get her mind off Max, but she knew time was not going to be her friend, as she spotted what time it was, and she winced. So, she stopped that idea in its tracks, and she called the Deluca/Valenti home to say she would be coming to pick up Charlie for their planned breakfast. But was told that she did not have to come because Amy was offering to drop off Charlie across the street before her scheduled hair appointment.

Liz took the change in stride.

As she was told that Charlie was having fun watching Jim and Kyle get ready for the wedding.

Therefore, she had a bit of time.

So, she hopped into the shower… As she could only pray that the cold water would wake her up to the reality of her situation, and make her stop playing within this fantasy world.

Mere moments later. Max’s eyes opened as he felt that his companion was now gone from his arms. As he was feeling cold, as reality came with flooding back to him too, of what they almost had done. But also, how good it was to be with the woman who he would never be able to forget. His dream girl.

Hearing the shower. Sensing that is where Liz had vanished to.

Comforted to know she was still the apartment, and that she had not ran.

Of course, he was almost tempted to go and join her, and for them to really finish what they had enough sense not to do the night before. But he was Max. And she was Liz, and he knew he could not do that to her, unless she wanted it.

And given she had left his arms. He could not help but wonder if she was regretting their time together.

Checking the clock on the wall. And knowing that he had to get back to his own room and change and get over to his place and see his daughter and help his sister on her wedding day. He was putting on his shoes as he was preparing to head over to his apartment, and have his own shower, and change before reporting to his family home when there was a knock on the door.

The water of the shower was still running, and needing the diversion that came from the dirty thoughts he was thinking of the water going down Liz, and wanting to be in there with her…

So, he thought he would be the gentlemen that he was that is a laugh he thought as he had his shirt in his hand and went for the door.

Only to hear, “What in the hell was this town thinking making this place into condos” came Maria Deluca as she whipped around after having her back to Max as she was glancing around the hallway and taking in the different atmosphere as this had been the building that had been so important to her Space boy, and to her… even if he was not her Space boy anymore. “What the hell, Max” she said as she saw it was Max she was seeing and not her best friend.

“What are you doing here. Where is Liz?”
Last edited by Parker1947 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoswellFan68
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Baby, It's You (CC, Mature) - Chapter 7 - 05/16/2021

Post by RoswellFan68 »

At least Maria didn't find on the couch together again.
totallizfan
Addicted Roswellian

Post by totallizfan »

Now that Maria has arrived, I expect there will be a solution to Michael's problem.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Liz is crazy if she thinks she can ever get over Max.
Liz deserves the truth, the whole truth.
Will Liz and Max still be friends at the wedding????
Of course Maria would arrive.........
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Baby, It's You - Chapter 8 - 05/18/2021

Post by Parker1947 »

Maria Deluca was standing and staring at the only man who her best friend could love and yet fate had not given each other the chance to have each other maybe that is not so true anymore she thought as she stood staring at Max Evans. It was the first time they had seen each other in seven years. The same length of time that had taken Liz from town limits. Because Maria had left at the same time to go to New York on the promise of her big break.

It had not happened in the manner she was dreaming. But she had stayed, and like Liz. She found her dreams in her own way, and on her own timetable. And now she was back staring at Max. Who was shirtless, and even more devilishly handsome than he had been at eighteen when she had left town in a different direction from her best friend? As she was quick to check the number on the door, and beside it, “Do, I have the right apartment. Do not tell me I got the wrong location?”

“No,” Max said snapping out of his surprise at seeing Maria in the flesh after seven years. She the same flash of fresh air she had been at sixteen. And even eighteen when she up and vanished from their town, only to make it on the stages “You have the right place” he said as he held open the door for Maria to walk right into, and so she did as she walked in and was shocked at how different this place was now, that it was made into condos.

While removing what history there was for them who had lived through the fallout from the invasion back in 1999.

“Then why are you here?” Maria asked as she continued to observe the apartment. And then turned her attention on Max. Someone who was very sexy now that he was very much an adult, she snarked to herself, and she wondered if her best friend was able to see that… which I bet she did?

“I fell asleep” Max said silently.

“I bet you did,” Maria laughed as she could imagine the scenario that had unfolded. “But that does not answer my question, but I do have a more pressing question. Of where my best friend is?”

“In the shower,” Max said simply as he did remember something about his ex’s plans for the morning. “She has a breakfast date with your son, Charlie.”

And mere fact that Max had brought up her son slammed into Maria of the weight of her secret and how everything was coming to a head, and that Max had to know the truth. Although anyone who knew Michael when looking at Charlie would know the truth Maria mused to herself “Look Max…”

Max knew what Maria had to be thinking and he did want to make it worse for her, at least not right now “Forget it, because as Liz has wisely said to me. It’s your life” Max sighed as he had more to say but wisely kept it limited. There will be other times for what I really have to say. “We all choose the directions of our lives,” he allowed because he was no different given what he was doing with his life and Micah. “Given what I have done with my life, I cannot judge what you might have done or not done” he murmured.

“Thank you for that,” Maria allowed although she knew that Max had something more to say about the matter but was restraint about it given their odd situation on this morning. “Although I sense others will be not as easy with me, and my choices.”

“You have to look out for your son,” Max said simple just like I must look out for Micah and make sure she is not hurt in this process “At the end of the day, that is all we can do.”

“That I do and thank you for not laying into me just yet” Maria muttered as she saw that Max was putting on his shirt and she was quickly coming back to the quirky nature of the newest developments to the lore of this town, and her best friend’s ability to get mixed up in the past. “So, I see that you and Liz have been making up for lost time?”

“We got to talking,” Max muttered blurring the line of what had happened although we had talked, he allowed. “All we did was fall asleep. You think forget about anything else because it did not happen.”

“Are you sure?” Maria asked with a smirk Because the evidence disputes it.

“Yes,” Max said simply as he came to realize that the water had stopped, and moments later Liz had come out of the bedroom fully dressed. Once she did, she was shocked to see Max was now awake and even more shocked to see that her best friend was now in town. And this is happening because? she asked herself because she could see her best friend glancing at her with a highly amused look on her face. If the water had not given her a wakeup call. Seeing her best friend certainly did. “Maria, what are you doing here in Roswell?”

“My director called off the weekend,” Maria murmured. “So, I grabbed the last flight out of New York last night, and therefore I have been flying all night, and once I was in the State. I grabbed a car and drove here to Roswell, as I thought I would come and spend the time with my son, and my family, and maybe even go to the wedding if they want me to attend?”

“They will want you,” Liz said softly as she came and did not focus on hot her ex was this morning. She needed to restrain from that and focus on what she did have. Because starting anything with Max would not help either of them or especially not when there was a child that Max was responsible for. “I know for a fact that Kyle has been sad you were unable to commit to coming, and I know your mother will be especially happy, next to Charlie, of course”

“Of course,” Maria nodded as she hugged her best friend. “God, this place Liz. What was this town thinking?”

“I know,” Liz said as they looked both at Max.

“The place was run down, and once it was sold by Brody prior to our senior year, it became even more decrepit before the owners decided to do something with it, and because they thought Roswell could use more space. Especially across the street from a restaurant, and main street is more alive than it has been in awhile.”

“What about the museum?” Maria asked as she thought of all the time they had spend in this place when it was a vastly different enterprise.

“It’s nearby, down the street” Max muttered.

Maria nodded as she could not help but glance at both her best friend and Max and how they interacted with each other, and Max could tell that he was being analyzed and so he decided to remove himself from the assessment. “I better go and get ready as I am right next door after all. And you know, the wedding is today.”

“Right,” the girls said with a smile as Maria could only look at her best friend and the way she was interacting with her past with some amusement although her eye went a little wild when Max indicated he was living in the next condo What a coincidence she mused to herself and then knew there is truly little that is a coincidence in our lives.

“Liz, I will see you later” Max said with a smile. “And I guess now that you are here. I will be also seeing you?” he said of his old friend Maria, as he did not even know how that would affect their lives especially since his own friend was out of the picture.

“Yes, you will,” Maria smiled as she went back to focusing on her best friend and unfortunately did not wait to know that Max was out of the door, when she quipped to her best friend. “So, I see…”

“No, you do not see Maria” Liz sighed as she knew the incoming of questioning that would be coming from her best friend.

“So, I cannot help but think that you are going to use him to get that baby you want, huh?” Maria muttered but they stopped in their place at the slam of the door, and Liz could only glare at her best friend because they did not know if Max had heard Maria’s last comment or not as she did not want to think of the possibilities that might come if Max had heard Maria’s sly comment.

Which of course Max did

As he leaned against the wall between Liz’s apartment and his… as if he had heard something that was stunning, and he did. Liz wants a baby? he thought as he made himself enter his apartment, as he looked like a ghost at the thought of Liz having a baby.

Someone else’s baby.

Because he knew that she was not looking at him despite what Maria was claiming…After all Maria was only coming into the situation late. And there was no way that Liz would want my baby he mused and bring the complications into her life when she had spent these last seven years running from how complicated they were. Despite what their actions the previous night had made it seem to be.

While back in Liz’s rental apartment “Thank you, Maria, for saying that” Liz muttered.

“Okay, I might have blurted it out and I should have been more restraint but is it not the truth” Maria asked. “You want a baby. And you have a gorgeous mystery man who would die before he did not give you something that you want. So, you would be crazy not to be thinking about it, so, are you thinking of it?

Using him to get you yourself a child?”

Liz did not answer.

The Crashdown,

Charlie was arriving because Amy was in the area for her own beauty appointment and dropped off her grandson so he could meet up with Liz for breakfast. The boy walked into the restaurant and found Micah in a booth doing her own version of waiting. So, the kids gravitated to each other. As Micah was also waiting for her father to meet her for breakfast after being dropped off by her aunt who was off taking a call, before heading off to check on the wedding set up, so Micah was taking the chance to look at the menu as she waited for her father to arrive. When she looked up, she spotted the new kid in town walk into the restaurant and come her way. I wonder what he is up to? she thought. You here for breakfast?” Charlie asked as he approached the other child.

“Yes,” Micah smiled. “I am meeting my Daddy for breakfast.”

“Cool” Charlie smiled as he sat down. “I am meeting my aunt.”

“How long are you sticking around this town?” Micah asked. “You played a cool game last night. Its not everyday I play someone who knows all the tricks?”

“I have had a lot of practice,” Charlie thought as he needed to pass time while his mother was in rehearsal and stick in her dressing room when babysitters did not work out. “I am supposed to head back home I think Tuesday or so, because it depends on when my aunt wants to leave. We are driving back home.”

“Where is home?” Micah asked.

“New York City,” Charlie muttered. “My Mom is actress. She’s on Broadway”

“Whoa, that sounds really cool” Micah murmured. “It must be fun to see her on that stage. I have seen those things on television but still I never knew anyone who into that kind of thing?”

“Well, my Mom is,” Charlie sighed. “You have a cool town here yourself. All these alien stuff,” the boy murmured because New York did not interest him as much as it being in this small town and so close to all kind of unique artifacts that he had seen in the museum that he had gone with his grandmother the day before” because Amy had taken him because she knew it interested her grandson, and because of the knowledge that his grandson needed to know. Maria might be keeping his heritage from him, but Amy knew that it was still going to be a big part of Charlie’s life once he knew enough about it.

“The tourists love it,” Micah commented as moments later Max walked into the restaurant after hopping into the shower, and then changing before coming over to meet his daughter. Sighing when he saw that his daughter was sitting with Charlie Deluca. This is some legacy you are leaving Michael. So, you better wake the hell up he muttered himself as Micah’s face lit up when she saw her father.

“Daddy,” Micah smiled.

“Hello honey,” Max sighed. “Charlie.”

“Is my aunt coming?” Charlie asked as he remembered the scene in the backyard the night before.

“I would think so,” Max smiled. “She might have a surprise for you” he said as he though of the boy’s mother who was now in town.

“Interesting,” Charlie thought as he got up. “I will go and get a booth I guess,” he said as he left Max looking back at Charlie. And Micah noticing it, and he turned back to face his daughter. “What?”

“Why were you looking at Charlie like that?” Micah Isabel Evans asked.

“It’s nothing,” Max said softly as he opened up the menu and tried to concentrate on picking out his breakfast but could only think of Liz, and the fact there were a side of his former girlfriend that he still did not know about and could be shocked to find more out by the end of this weekend.

Micah only shook her head because it was clear she was not believing her father but concentrated on picking her breakfast.

As across the street, Liz was grabbing her coat and purse. “Are we ready to go over to the Crashdown and see your son?”

“Only if you forgive me for letting that slip out?” Maria asked as she knew how much it was a tricky situation for her friend because she had what Liz wanted the most. Although it was not like Liz was interested in finding a guy and develop a meaningful connection to get the kid, she wanted but she wanted to go other methods. Ones that Maria did not have to deal with because she had gotten the child from a misguided encounter that she had before she left this town.

But she loved her son and would never regret him for a moment.

“I know you did not mean it,” Liz sighed as she thought of the quandary she was in with her life because Maria was right.

She did want a child.

But she did not want the relationship to go along with the child. She did not want the guy for more than the physical act, but she wanted the child. And she knew she could handle being a single mother even if she saw that it was hard given what she had witnessed her friend going through since Charlie was born. But she was not looking for her child’s father to be an alien.

Of course, she would not mind her child being gifted. Although she was smart herself and therefore, she could give that to her son or daughter, and enrich her child’s education in other ways. But she refused to give herself to a guy who would make her second guess, and was not the guy she had wanted at sixteen, and could not have…

If she could not have Max. Then she was not going to have the guy.

But she could have the child. And that was why she was working on it through other methods. But seeing specialists and going to a sperm bank. And right now, she was in the testing phase before she made the decision of the donor she wanted, to be able to have the child she wanted. Yes, she knew she was young, and could wait until she had the guy that meant something to her.

But she knew, there was no guy who was going to give her what Max did. As she had seen evident in the last few days, and especially these last twenty-four hours. So, she was going to pick herself up and go on with her life and achieve what she was destined to achieve. “It will get me nowhere to go there with Max…” Liz thought as she closed the door behind them, and she locked it, and they walked down the stairs instead of dealing with the elevator. “We are over…”

“I am not so sure about that, from the little I could see this morning” Maria sighed as they reached the outside as they both looked around their hometown.

“Well, that different,” Liz sighed. “We are two different people today than we were seven years. After all, look at this street. Everything is different, and so are we. So, we cannot go back to how it was ten years ago.”

“You are right about that…” Maria thought as they walked across the street as she glanced up at the place she used to work at. “Although some places never change, do they?” she wondered as she glanced over at her friend.

“No, they do not” Liz said in agreement as she opened the door in front of her, and saw him the first moment she walked in.

At this point, he was almost a homing beacon as she knew where he was. Same with him, as he turned around and saw that Liz and Maria had entered the restaurant.

Charlie was looking down at a menu at the booth that he had selected and did not immediately see this aunt and his mother had entered the restaurant. But then he decided to look up, and he stopped in his tracks, as he saw his mother. “Mommy,” he whispered. “Mommy?”

Maria stopped when she saw her son for the first time in a week. As it was the longest time that they had been apart from each other. Any other trips Liz had taken Charlie on was in the state of New York, but never this far west.

“Mommy” Charlie cried as he got up and ran to his mother.

“Oh god, Charlie” Maria whispered. “I have missed you so much.”

“I have missed you more,” Charlie said as he embraced his mother. “I mean Aunt Liz and I are having a fun time, but I missed you.”

“Me too,” Maria murmured as she hugged her son for dear life, Charles Michael Deluca. Yes, she had given her son his father’s name. She might have been keeping him a secret, but she did want to share Michael a little with the boy, so she elected to give him the name Michael at birth and now they were both in the town that had Michael in it.

Even if Maria had no idea what the true circumstances of what was going on, and Liz felt conflicted because she did know a little about it. Not everything, but some, and she should be the one to tell her best friend because she was sure if Maria was under the weight of critical information about Max. Then Maria would be the one to tell her, would she not?”

But for now, Liz watched as her friend was reunited with her son. The one person who had been the one constant in her life since they both fled Roswell.

“I needed this,” Maria told herself and was happy that she had listened to Tanya and come here. She was still wary of being in her hometown. But if Charlie were here than it was all worth it, and she could handle what came from here, as she looked up at her friend who was smiling and knew her friend wanted this to happen to herself, and maybe it would. And unlike her friend, she was not too sure to discount Max in the race to be Liz’s child father, after seeing the two of them that morning. “Thank you for being good to Charlie.”

“You should thank your mother and Jim. Since we have been here, your son has been spending a lot more time with them than with me unfortunately,” Liz smiled as he could see the happiness on Charlie’s face. And knew mother and son needed each other.

“I guess I better yes, I will thank her and Jim” Maria sighed. “But I suspect you have not eaten yet?” she asked of her son.

“I was waiting for Aunt Liz” Charlie murmured.

“Then we can eat together,” Maria asked. “Unless there is someplace you would rather be?” she asked with amusement as she saw Max looking at them, and her friend was trying too hard to stay away from looking at him.

“No, of course not” Liz murmured as Charlie giggled and Maria glanced down at her son. “Have I missed something?” she asked of her son.

“Yeah, this town has been one thing after another since we came here” Charlie murmured. “Aunt Liz seems to like Micah’s dad” he allowed as Liz immediately groaned at the invocation of Micah into the conversation.

“Who is Micah?” Maria asked as suddenly she became aware that there was a lot she did not know and that was her main motivation in coming to town and not waiting for her best friend to bring her son home to New York. Because she was becoming aware that there were winds in motion, and events being undertaken. She did not need to have her best friend’s abilities even though Liz had kept her abilities mostly dormant. Still, she knew her friend was special, but still, she did not have to be as gifted as her friend not to know something was up. She already suspected that she had to be careful about her son, that he had abilities that were not even as clarified to her at present time.

“Micah Isabel Evans” Charlie commented as he pointed Micah who was sitting with her father, and Liz continued to groan as Micah noticed that she had been pointed out, and she was staring, and Max could not help but stare at the situation unfolding…

“Max’s daughter,” Liz tried.

“You mentioned her, but you did not mention her name” Maria sighed as she glanced over at her long-time friend in Max, and the little girl who was sitting at the booth, and she had this unnerving sensation that she was seeing someone familiar in the girl, and it was not Max. Glancing at her friend, she instantly got the impression that her friend knew more than she was saying.

“I did not mention her name because I did not know it” Liz sighed or the story behind her birth as she was conflicted over whether to tell her friend the truth because she knew that Max and Isabel would prefer if as few people knew as possible. Even if Liz did not see how, it could make a difference if people, but she knew to Maria it might she thought. Because it did to her, back when, and to know Tess was still out there with Max’s son. “At the time” she conceded as Maria acknowledge as such.

A child her enemy shared with the man she loved, and she could not unless she undid all the progress she had made over the years and used Max in mission to have a child.

“Hello Maria, again,” Max said as he and Micah approached even though he wanted to stay away from the situation brewing for his daughter’s sake, and for Maria’s too because his old friend was too bright not to figure it one these moments Max thought. But the morning was getting away from them, and he had to deliver his daughter to his family home because there was a salon appointment to get to, and because Micah was a flower girl. Max had to get his daughter there or his sister and mother would have his head, so he had taken the orders to go, and now he was trying to walk away from the gathering crisis.

But they had to walk right through…

“Charlie,” Max acknowledged.

“Mr. Evans,” Charlie acknowledged.

“You can call me Max,” said Liz and Maria’s old friend. “You and Micah are friends, and we are all very close, as you will see as time goes by…”

“You are Charlie’s famous mom” Micah asked as she glanced up at Maria. “Charlie says you are on Broadway?”

“Yes, I am” Maria confirmed.

“Congratulations,” Max said, and he meant it. “We are all very proud of you and your success” as he left out but they both knew that he was meaning Michael even though to Liz, Michael could have known just how successful his former girlfriend had become in the years since she had left Roswell.

“I try,” Maria murmured as she glanced at Micah as she was assessing her. And both Max and the child knew it, and Max knew he had to get his daughter.

“That is all we can do in our lives,” Max said as he glanced at Liz, who looked away. “Anyways, time is getting away for us, and I have to get Micah to Mom and Dad’s because she’s in the wedding and needs to go to the salon with my sister and mother” he murmured. “I am sure we will be talking later at the wedding…”

“Oh, we will” Maria said softly as she watched Micah walk out with Max. And once Max was gone. Liz’s sense of balance and taking the opportunity had returned even if it meant she might have something to discuss in the coming moments. “Do not say it,” she muttered as she referred to them being in the presence of Charlie.

“Am I right?” was all Maria was willing to say in front of her son.

“I do not know what you might be thinking?” Liz tried and knew she was dealing with a losing situation.

“Do not talk to me like that,” Maria muttered.

“Like what?” Charlie asked.

And immediately Maria and Liz knew there was smaller ears watching them and eavesdropping on their conversation, and they had to be careful and so Maria short circuited her thoughts. “It does not matter right now, because what matters now is you gets something to eat because we have a wedding to go to…”

“You are staying?” Charlie asked.

“Of course,” Maria sighed as she felt sucked into the drama that always managed to find itself in her hometown. “Suddenly, I have no where to be…”

Liz could only shake her head and know that this weekend was going to be even more complicated, and that the wedding could only be a start of an angst-ridden time. Or would they get everything they wanted before they went back to their individual homes?
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Baby, It's You (CC, Mature) - Chapter 8 - 05/18/2021

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Liz wants a baby.......
Micah and Charlie are so cute together.
This is going to be some wedding gathering.....
RoswellFan68
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by RoswellFan68 »

Maybe secretly came back to Roswell because she wants Max's baby.
totallizfan
Addicted Roswellian

Post by totallizfan »

When will Maria ask the question......where's Michael?
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Baby, It's You - Chapter 9 - 05/20/2021

Post by Parker1947 »

Several hours later,

The chapel was all dressed, and the guests were being escorted or were already in their seats. Isabel in all her glory had it all arranged. And it was apparent that this time, everything would be going alright. Without a hitch. Any drama that would be occurring would be coming from the guest themselves, amongst themselves, and not intended to impact the bride or the groom at all. Of course, this time they did not have an old alien lover trying to sabotage the nuptials. This time bride was content, and happy with her choices, and there was no family drama threatening disharmony. Everyone was in their seats, waiting to see Isabel and Kyle exchange their vows.

After all, this time. Phillip and Diane did approve. And the Evans family were much closer than they were nearly eight years before.

And the bride and groom were glowing and could not wait for their new chapter together to begin.

Max was operating as Isabel’s best person, and he was now standing at the altar. And Liz had been siting with Maria and Charlie before Charlie had to head back as he was the ring bearer. As was expected. Amy Deluca had been thrilled beyond belief when she saw her daughter arriving at the chapel. Meanwhile, the groom, Kyle could only laugh when he saw his stepsister arrive because it meant one more time his simple wedding with Isabel was getting upstaged by drama that was resurfacing from a decade before.

So, he was amused by the notion and his bride Isabel could only shake her head when she was told that Maria was now in town and would be attending the wedding. Only natural she mused. After all Max and Michael’s love lives were always more angst ridden to my life.

So, now the ceremony was about to be begin, and Max only had eyes for Liz as he watched her walk into the chapel and down the aisle and take her seat in her sizzling red dress or to Max it was sizzling. To everyone else it was simple normal, and proof she was no longer sixteen. She was seven years older and accomplished and Maria who was wearing black could only be amused until she realized Michael was nowhere to be seen and it looked like he did not seem to be expected. “Where is Michael” was all Maria could ask in whispers with no answer forthcoming from her friend because they were interrupted by the music starting.

“Long story,” Liz could only say as the ceremony began as they smiled when they saw Charlie walking down along with Micah in her princess like dress so unlike the wardrobe, she had usually seen the girl in these last few days as flower girl. Max was looking at Micah proudly, and Liz’s heart fluttered eve more as he could see the love in her ex-boyfriend for his daughter.

“You’re a goner,” Maria whispered as she glanced at searing glances between Max and Liz, but her mind was whirling as it became even more apparent that Michael was not going to be in the wedding especially once she saw Phillip walking his daughter down the aisle in a dress that was very Isabel this time, for the last time he hoped.

And Isabel hoped.

As the ceremony proceeded without a hitch, and Isabel and Kyle would say their “I do’s” and kiss for the first time as husband and wife as the ceremony broke up as they would be expected at the Crashdown for an intimate reception.

With it being closed for the night.

Liz could only watch as Max and Micah walk off together for the family pictures that would take place with the reception still two hours away. As Charlie came to join them, and there was only so much they could say about Maria’s hunches.

“Where is Michael?” Maria was all she could ask as they began their walk.

“Who is Michael?” Charlie asked as they walked out of the chapel.

“It does not matter,” Maria murmured as she looked down at her son and was reminded of the complications “You do not know him, Charlie. An old friend” she muttered to the disapproving look of Liz for keeping the pretense going because they both knew Charlie was smarter than the average six-year-old.

Although this time Charlie was taking what his mother was saying.

“So, what exactly is happening between you and Max?” Maria murmured as she searched for a safer topic than her love life and secrets she had chosen to keep as they got into Liz’s car and drove over to the Crashdown where they would visit with Liz’s parents before the reception, and maybe even help, with setting up for the party.

“Nothing,” Liz muttered.

“Micah and I saw Aunt Liz kissing Micah’s Dad” Charlie murmured, and Maria burst out laughing.

“I guess this teaches me a lesson. I cannot let you come this place alone, can I?” Maria asked as they both thought of the temptations, they both faced when they came to their mutual hometown. She could not blame her friend for falling into old patterns. She might be the same if only she could achieve some answers into where her own mysterious ex was as the three of them sat in Liz’s car, and watched as the street life of Roswell roll by their windows.

“You were the one staying away from this place” Liz murmured as they drove across town.

“We both were,” Maria agreed as they arrived in the parking lot of the condo apartment across from the Crashdow, as Liz parked. “This town is so bizarre…” she muttered as she looked up the one place that had memories for them both, and how different it now was.

Which was natural given how different they were both now, as they got out and looked across the street at the shiny sign of the Crashdown.

Charlie rushed ahead…

Which only left them alone as they glanced through the bustling activity of Jeff making sure the chairs were set, and the booths and other tables were set up. But for Maria. All she could think was what she did not know about Michael, and what she wanted to know. Is it a requirement that once you pass the town limit sign that old memories flood back? she muttered to herself. “What is going on with Michael?” Maria asked as if it was the only thing on her mind, and it was. Because she knew how close Michael and Isabel were. And there was no way he would not be at his friend’s wedding.

“You do not want to know” was all Liz replied.

“Why not?” Maria asked in a growl. I knew it. “So, you do know something?”

“Yes,” Liz confirmed, and she turned to face her friend. “Do you really want to know?” she asked. “Seriously, do you want to know?”

“Liz?” Maria sighed. Do I want to know she muttered to herself? Why do this to yourself. Maria, you came for the wedding, and for your son. You do not have to meddle into the past. When Michael obviously is not around.

“Because you have been trying to stay away from this drama in our hometown. Which I do applaud you for doing. Even if you ignore the Charlie factor,” Liz allowed even though that was a pretty big caveat to be making. “Maria, I have been here two days, and I have already gotten drawn in from the first single minute I was here in town, and you do not want the same to being done for you because I know how much you wanted out of this chaos back during senior year. You told me yourself. Which is part of the reason you and Michael ended. You have managed to find a life for yourself, and you should not get drawn in and because yes, I do know what is going on with Michael, or a good portion of it even if I do not know everything and therefore, I can say with all certainly. If you knew, it would only add to the angst.” Liz murmured. “Which is something you wanted out of…”

Maria could not let it rest. The temptation was too great “Why did he did not show up at the wedding?” Maria commented as she chose to ignore her friend’s warning because she knew if she gave the same one to her friend. Liz would have ignored it too.

“No, he did not” Liz confirmed.

“Which tells me whatever is going is bad for him, and it could be bad for the group” Maria asked. “I am beginning to sense that maybe you have been right all along. And maybe I have been thinking wrong all these years. Charlie does deserve answers. And maybe Michael deserves them too…” she sighed as she knew she was feeling guilty the longer, she was in town. And it had only been hours of the fact she had been keeping her son away, and major news from her ex. “If someone only would tell my where my ex is…”

She sighed because maybe Michael did deserve to know, so he could make the decision to be involved or not… This town has a way of bringing you back to your past, whether you want to go back there or not she thought to herself as Liz could only shake her head as she knew how much it took for her friend to break away because of her lingering feelings for Michael. There is reason why there has been no one since Michael.

But the fact was she had not been saved by one of them, and therefore she had not had this bond that was so strong that it even surprised her, and she had tried to stay away all these years herself, to some success.

So, she was trying to save her friend the heartache by being drawn in once she did learn about what was going on with Michael. “Let us celebrate Kyle and Isabel night, okay. Tomorrow we can deal with anything else.”

Maria knew it was a cop out, but she allowed it as she saw Jeff so happy to see his daughter. “You could not resist us, huh?” Jeff asked of Maria whose appearance did surprise him. Someone so close to his daughter. She was almost like a second daughter because she and Liz had been friends from childhood on, and had gone out into the world together, and found success in different ways.

“What can I say, I missed the burgers” Maria murmured, and it was truth. The burgers could not be replaced, even by New York ones The Crashdown was almost like home to her, and she had missed it.

And she did not know how much until she was welcomed by Jeff. “We came by to see if you need any help?”

“We are almost there,” Jeff smiled. “You two should relax. Because neither of you work here anymore…”

“No, we do not, do we” Maria smiled. “A lot has changed” she smiled as she watched Jeff walk away as she spotted Charlie sitting at a booth, watching the commotion. “And yet the past always finds a way of drawing us back?”

“Which is why you need to pick what you want to know,” Liz advised. “You can walk away not knowing what is going on and it might be the best for you, or you can ask the questions you want, and if you do than you will be drawn back in and you will never be able to walk away again.”

“How about you?” Maria asked.

“I can always walk away,” Liz murmured as she thought of her planned exit on Tuesday or even earlier now that she did not have to take Charlie back to New York now that his mother was here and could take her son home with her whenever she chose to head home. I am a free agent in so may ways she thought to herself.

“Yeah, right” Maria commented.

“Do me favor, do not engage” Liz murmured as she thought of how much she had been drawn in on her return. “It’s much better for your sanity if you do,” she sighed.

“When you choose to not engage than I will do the same,” Maria quipped as she glanced around the Crashdown and saw all the ways things were the same because Jeff and Nancy had kept it largely the same but still, times changes in seven years, and you cannot stay the same as you were at eighteen and young. “I do understand your need to protect me. I feel the same way with you even if I suspect I am to late in that regard, but it is my life, and it always has been. So. if you refuse to tell me what is going on with Michael than I will find out my own way.”

“I know you will,” Liz murmured.

And it was a couple of hours later when Maria managed to corner Max in well, a corner and question him about his missing friend. Max had only eyes for his ex-girlfriend who was at this very moment talking to Amy and Jim or other guests. Friends she had not since she left school for boarding school, she looks hot in that dress he was thinking Red always did look good on her he was telling himself as he saw Micah spending time with her grandparents. Charlie was sneaking some alien style cookies from the desert table.

A good time was being had…

Max was happy for it because they needed happiness because there was too much uncertainly and just when he was thinking of what he wanted to do with Liz and maybe convince her to go up to her old bedroom and have fun, or just into a closet, he heard “Snap out of it, and focus” came a muttered groan and he saw that it was Maria when he did come back to reality.

“Oh god, Maria, what is it?” Max groaned.

“If you can steer yourself away from glancing at my best friend and imagining whatever dirty thoughts are in your mind, then you can fill me on what is going on with Michael, and why he was not here?”

“He’s busy,” Max brazenly lied.

“Was he so busy that he would attend his best friend’s wedding,” Maria said with a disapproving wary glance at his excuse. “Michael would be the last person who would have missed Isabel’s wedding and we both know it,” Maria asked questioning his excuse. “They were too close, for him to be busy somewhere else.”

“We all have a different life today than we did in high school” Max murmured. “You are no different than any of us, which is why you almost did not come, right because you have a job that needed you?”

“Right,” Maria agreed. “But I am here now, and Michael is nowhere to be seen, and unlike me, that is unusual.”

“Then maybe Michael really is busy” Max asked. “And it’s not that unusual” he muttered even if he had to concede that it would be if Michael could be with them than he would be here, because he would not be one to miss Isabel’s wedding.

Maria could only shake her head “We all know he would have made the time,” Maria sighed. “We both know that I was not that close to either Isabel or Kyle back in high school. My attendance outside of me being family would not be noticed at this kind of function. But we both know Michael’s absence is noticeable.”

Yes, it is Max told himself as he continued to find a way to maneuver around his old friend. ‘Leave it alone Maria.”

“Why should I?” Maria asked as she saw Max’s eyes go towards her friend once again and she tried to turn his focus back on her.

“Because you forfeited input into Michael’s life when you walked away from him and chose to start a new life. A life that did not include him, when you know as well as I do that, he would have wanted to be with you, and you wanted to walk away, and you chose to keep some secrets yourself?”

“Is this about Charlie?” Maria asked a little pissed off. “Are you not telling me what is going on because you do not like the choice I made about my own son?”

“Why would it be?” Max asked. “And no, it’s not about Charlie” he tried but it was not sitting well with Maria.

“Yes, you are. You are miffed that I kept Charlie from Michael?” Maria asked.

Max was miffed but he was realistic to know that it was a tough situation and given choices he had made himself. He did not have a lot of ground to stand on to be upset with Maria about her failure to tell Michael. “As I said before. We have a right to our own decisions and our secrets. You chose the route for you and your son, and I am not going to say it was a bad one, because I knew the factors within that choice, but you chose Maria to keep him out of it when we both know he would have wanted you.” Max murmured.

“We do not know that do we?” Maria asked. “Would he have wanted me if I told him the truth?”

“We cannot know the answer to that because you chose a different road for yourself,” Max muttered. “And you did not tell Michael.”

“And why are you raising Micah then?” Maria muttered.

“Leave it alone,” Max advised as she saw his daughter dancing with her grandfather. “You will be happier if you leave it alone. As both you and Charlie will be much happier,” he sighed as he saw that was Liz was now free and he did not want to continue this conversation much longer. “If you will excuse me, I see someone I want to get to know again because we have been rudely interrupted enough in our lives,” as he walked away from Maria before she could pull him back into a conversation he did not want to be having.

“Why is everyone leaving me out of the loop?” Maria muttered to herself and out loud.

“Maybe because you will be happier that way,” came a voice and she turned and saw that it was the groom. “After all. You stayed away from this town for seven years Maria for a reason. You have been back in town only a few hours. So, why is it so important that you know what is going on with Michael?” Kyle asked as he watched Max did find Liz in the crowd of party goers, and he was trying to persuade her to go onto the dance floor, and so far, she was denying his overtures.

This town does this to me every time Maria muttered to herself. “Everyone seems to know what is going on besides me” Maria muttered as she watched as the reception was in full swing, and everyone was happy and having a good time. Isabel was now talking to her parents, and Kyle had come by for a talk with Maria because they had not had a chance to talk before the ceremony.

“And I would say that it is obvious that you have kept plenty of secrets yourself,” Kyle murmured. “You were not always that upfront back here so, I would not look down on others for doing the same thing.”

“If this is about Charlie?” Maria asked.

“No,” Kyle said with a shake of his head “I understand why you chose the route you did. We all remember Michael back then, and unlike Max or Isabel. I suspect you knew that you might not have been able to count on Michael to be there for you at the end of the day.”

“That is not why I did not tell him?” Maria muttered. Because she suspected that he would have tried to be there for her. Whether they would have worked was a different debate because they had not been at the stage where they could have made it work for more than a few months at a time. So, how could you raise a child and expect the father to stay with you, even if Michael would have tried. But still, it was completely why she had not come home and told him about the baby on the way.

“Is it not?” Kyle asked. “Or was it because you did not want to give up your glorious new life in New York for downtrodden Roswell?”

“It was not glorious in the beginning,” Maria muttered as she knew it had been a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get where she was today. Those early days were hard, and she had not been convinced her decision had been the right one because being in show business was not for the faint of heart. You need to want it, and to sacrifice. She had stayed, and worked, and therefore she deserved to be where she was, and she was not going to regret choices she made at the time, which was the only way she could make it though the days.

“But you have made it?” Kyle asked.

“Yes, I have” Maria agreed.

“Then do not feel sorry for those you had to reject to get where you are today. I know how angst ridden those days were. How fortunate Liz was to get out of this town. Same with you. Because loving the people you loved took a lot out of you and luckily, and we all managed to make it through because not everyone did, so we should understand what fortune we were able to achieve” Kyle thought of the actions that he had done at one time to cause heart ache in their lives, and Maria sighed because she knew what her stepbrother was talking about.

“I know,” Maria sighed as she saw that Max had won his fight to get Liz onto the dance floor. “We are very fortunate.”

“Not everyone has been” Kyle conceded because he did know the circumstances. “So, we should be taking our chances when we can, and know we are lucky, and not to look for drama when you can just walk away without the pain that comes with knowing.

“So, you know?” Maria wondered of her stepbrother Of course he knows. Everyone seems to know except me.

“Maybe I do,” Kyle sighed. “You have been lucky Maria” he said with pride because he was happy. “You have been very fortunate, and we are proud of you so you should not be drawn back into temptations…”

“I know I have…” Maria conceded as Charlie came rushing over to his mother. As they both saw evidence of the past that was still with Maria because Charlie was such a dead ringer for someone so important to her past, who was now missing, and she had no answers to where he was.

“So, my advice is do not ask for trouble” Kyle asked.

“All I want to know is what is going on with Michael” Maria said as she hugged her son with the understanding of what she did have.

“Do you not think that maybe Maria does deserve to know?” Liz was asking across the room as she was on the dance floor with Max as she was trying to not get swept away by the sensation of being in his arms once again, on another dance floor. It was one of the few times they had something good take place in this place given this was the very place her life changed when she was fifteen. Now it was transformed into a wedding paradise for Kyle and Isabel. And here she was dancing with her dream guy. So, she wanted to think of something real instead of this fantasy bubble that eventually will burst.

Because the bubble for her and Max always did manage to burst. We never last…

Max could only sigh at his former girlfriend’s question because all he wanted to do was sink into oblivion and forget that the world existed, and revel in the fact that Liz was in his arms, even if it was only on the dance floor. Because time was ticking down, and before he knew it. She would be gone from his life once again, and he wanted to treasure it so that I can have memories to get be through the rotten days to come “We want as few to know a possible,” Max muttered as he knew there was a ticking clock on keeping it from Maria. And truthfully Max knew that she probably should know. Given that there was a child involved. But he did not like having the reconcile with the reality of the situation. He would rather say that Michael was out East, or somewhere else. Anyplace than where he current was, and how it was going to take superhuman strength to bring him back, and that was something he did not have.

“I get you like privacy,” Liz murmured as she glanced over at Maria who was listening to her son chattering away. “Given the circumstances, it probably is necessary, but we are talking about Maria?” she sighed. “If it, were you. Then I would want to know what is going on?”

“She walked away,” Max murmured as if he did not know he was acting a little too sore about it when it was not his relationship, but it had been his friend, and he had to witness the ashes Michael had descended into but then of course he had also been a fellow partner in said ashes due to the death of his own relationship.

“So, did I” Liz reasoned “And I have to say Max that we both know that time was rocky territory, and we were so young. We did not know what we were going to find one day to the next. It all changed so rapidly and yes, before you know, it takes a lot out of you, and even when you do become aware of what you are sacrificing, and even if you are willing in the beginning. It finally catches up to you, and you need relief. To get away from the insanity of that time…” she asked. “That was Maria…”

“Was I that way for you?” Max asked.

“A little,” Liz murmured as they continued to dance. “Our story is complicated Max. I am not complaining. I chose it, but then I walked away too because it was becoming too much. Life was not how it was in the beginning. Too much was expected of me, and I needed time. I needed to see that I could achieve normal.”

“And you did” Max murmured.

“But you changed me before I did go,” Liz said softly, and Max winced. “I do not mean that as it sounds Max,” she sighed. “You let me into a new world. And yes, in the beginning I wanted to be there because you were everything my life to that point was not, and it was not what I was expected to by my own expectations or even my father’s. So, the rush was exciting. But then it starts to pile up. We encountered our issues, mostly by our own hand or ones that were forced on the both of us. But still, you changed me, so I was in a way bonded to this tale. Even if I could walk away in the end. Maria is different. She loved Michael yes, but she was not marked, and she and Michael are complex people, different personalities and they were always clashing, and she needed to see that she could go for her dreams. Yes, she made the decisions she made. So, did I…”

“It is not easy,” Max sighed as he though of the whole situation, warts, and all “How about a I will think about it, about you know what” Max murmured as he did not want the night to get swallowed up by the past. Because this night would be all too soon over, and she would be going back to that normal life again and she would forget about him, and about them…

“Okay,” Liz smiled. “But Max, you can trust Maria you know?”

“I know,” Max allowed. “It’s not as if I do not trust either of you because you two certainly helped us along the way and we would not have gotten out of the nightmarish days without that help. So, I am immensely grateful, but it is just I do not like to think of the situation. Especially on a day like this as it becomes all too real because he was not at the wedding, and one would have expected him to be here if they knew anything about us at all. And therefore, Isabel had to get through this day without him, and Maria certainly did expect that he would be here…”

“Yes, I know” Liz allowed.

“So, I do not like reminders of what should have been, even if I cannot escape them. So, telling her would be a reminder what might of have been if the cards were not dealt the way they were…”

“We dream of what might have been all the time. But we cannot know what would have happened if only certain elements were changed. We cannot go back into the past. We can only deal with what is now. We both know that we cannot know what would have happened if Maria had stayed or had she told him about Charlie” Liz muttered.

“I know,” Max sighed. “But it feels like if events had gone certain ways than life would have been different, for all of us” he allowed, and Liz nodded as if she did not know he was alluding to them.

“I needed that time away Max,” Liz sighed as she thought of those days and while she did dream all the time of what might have been if she had decided to stay, still, she knew she needed the time away to be able to come back again. “While I wish things had been different and yes if circumstances were different, then we might have been looking at a different future, but I am not going to lie and say it did not take a lot of out of me, and when I think back to those days. I do not know if we could have been as strong because of everything that went down, without some relief. That is why I went to boarding school. I needed time away…”

“You did not come back?” Max asked a little hurt, and he had been when he realized she was not coming back once school let out. And he heard from Maria and the Parkers that she had relocated straight to Cambridge once she was given a late admission into Harvard. “You did not even come back for graduation?”

“I could not do it Max” Liz sighed.

“Why not?” Max asked.

“Because if I saw you then I would doubt my decision. The time away in Vermont allowed me to breathe again, and Harvard was what I wanted and needed. It was proof that I was not going to be defined by everything that happened, and I know what would have happened if I came home, even for a short trip to attend graduation.”

“What would have happened?” Max asked.

“You know what would have happened” Liz sighed as she thought of this weekend. Of how one look at Max and she was immediately drawn back his web and back seven years, and it was like she never left. Except that they were both older. And the chances they could take were older along with them. And she knew back then, if she had come back and it would have been only a few weeks apart and if they had seen each other than there was no way she could have gone to Cambridge and act and be normal, so she had to stay away as much as it hurt not to see her parents all the time, or to even attend graduation and get her diploma and had to wait to receive it in the mail. “Look at now…”

“Now is different” Max murmured.

“Is it, is it really?” Liz smiled as they continued to the dance the night away. “Just like now. I knew coming back would mean I would take one look at you and go back in that door that I closed when I went to boarding school, and I could not do that to myself…”

“Did you know that I waited for you” Max sighed as he thought of those days. “And still I know I drove you away with my actions.”

‘My own actions also did us in Max” Liz allowed as she did not like knowing that he was expecting her return and that she probably broke his heart when she chose not to return. “It’s not all you fault. You should not be taking all the blame and I am not going to assign it because we both were parties to what happened. It takes two. We were young and naïve, and that naivety was always going to get us in the end…”

“You think so?” Max wondered.

“Yes,” Liz sighed. “We were caught up in an ever-changing situation that was growing too big for us to manage by ourselves. We were so young, and it was so big. I loved you, but it was just too much to take in at that time. So, by removing myself from it than it allowed us both to go on…” she sighed. “It gave us both the distance we needed to make it through the day.”

“You might have needed the distance. I did not. My life stopped when you left me. I did not go on because I wanted you to be in my life” Max sighed as he thought back those times “All my plans included you in them otherwise they would not have been something I wanted to live even if I knew what I would have been asking of you…”

“We are better for what we decided,” Liz murmured. “Which is why we are now too old to foolishly try anything this weekend because Max I cannot stay and as you said before. You have Micah, and you have responsibilities in this town. So, you do have a life, and a rewarding one at that. You have something that I do not even have. Someone to love and to care for,” she thought of what she was missing her in her life. “Max, this town is not my life anymore. I have a life away from here…”

“I know you do…” Max sighed “I would not be asking you to give it up” he asked. “If I cannot give up my responsibilities, then why would I ask the same thing of you?” he asked. “I would never do that to you, yet…” he could not help but start, but knew she could not finish it because it was not going to be something he would like to be slapped down.

“So, we agree that we cannot start anything this weekend?” Liz asked but Max did not say anything in response as they continued to dance, and she could only shake her head with the risk that they were taking She was wanting to leave his embrace and he was not going to be pushing her away… “Max?”

“Do not say anything more,” Max smiled. “When you are not leaving yet…”

“No, I am not” Liz agreed.

Across the room. Maria had been visiting with friends that she had not seen since she left during senior year. Like Liz, she had graduated in absentee. With her mother picking up and keeping her diploma, instead of sending it to her daughter. Maria had not wanted it. She had graduated. It was an accomplishment. But it was not like she was a stellar student like Liz had been, and she did not have university on the horizon. She was working in the real world. Trying to fulfill her dream, and not look like a fool for running out on her life in Roswell, and from a guy who would have wanted her.

Although he would not have been ready for the commitment that would be coming once, she found out she was pregnant, thanks to a dalliance that they had before she vanished from the world of aliens, and the small town that had raised her.

So, she was watching her best friend get swept back into the past. Who is she kidding Maria mused to herself? How she is going to be able to leave Max when she leaves this town on Monday or at the most Tuesday Maria thought because she knew that her friend was expected back her newest lab in a week, after her two-week vacation absence.

The girl Maria had known these seven years had been the opposite of the Liz Parker she had known growing up. The girl Liz had been once she left this town was by day, the studious student and then scientist, and by night, the party girl whose label people would have given to Maria. But Maria would at the end of the day have a baby at home. And she was trying to make it in show business, so that she did not have to run home, and show that she was a fool.

The record deal had fallen through. But she knew she was talented. Otherwise, they would not have wanted her to enough to wish that she compromised her values, so she would find a different way of expressing it.

And it worked, and now she was back in her hometown. And she and Liz were being swept up into the past. Liz was trying to fight it Maria knew, but with her, everyone was warning Maria not to step into where she dared to go, finding out what the mystery that Michael’s whereabouts is… So, she was now watching contemplating the past that she had given up being for who she was today as she watched as Kyle was dancing with his wife.

As her stepbrother finally landing the girl that he had been pining for during senior year. And Liz was in the arms of the only man she had wanted back in high school and had denied because of circumstances and because of her own choice to walk away. Maria glanced over at her son who was watching the party with Micah.

Max’s daughter Maria thought as she saw the young girl, not so much younger than her own son. Yeah, right.

Max was not Micah’s biological father. Maria knew something about keeping secrets about children. Although everyone who knew Michael could see it full blown in Charlie that he was Guerin by blood as well as a Deluca, because he favored his birth father so much. Micah on the other hand, was a beautiful little girl and had shades of her birth mother in her different ethnic representation. So, anyone would not see what she and Liz had seen when they looked at the girl.

Because they saw the truth.

She was Michael’s. And now Maria like Liz before her wondered if Michael had abandoned the town because he did not want to be a father. Given the massive baggage Michael had because of Hank and even being an alien hybrid, it would be not far fetched for me to think this she mused to self as she wondered if Max, the golden boy, and the King of his land took over, and took in the girl, and told the world he was the father.

Because he could not be the father of the child he had, and he had let Tess take off with, And I want back into this drama? She muttered to herself and a little out loud,

“It’s a lot is it not?” said a blonde who walked up to Maria.

A stranger to everyone but Max and Isabel, which is why she was invited to the wedding as she had grown closer to them during her time in town. She was a newcomer to the town Maria knew instantly. “You are?” Maria asked stiffly because this town made her instantly wary of those who were new and seemed to know their innermost secrets.

“Serena Thomas” the newcomer murmured as she had seen Maria staring around the party and was intrigued by her. “I am a friend of Max and Isabel’s.”

“You are?” Maria asked with surprise as she knew the people, she knew in high school did not make friends easily, and certainly did not let new people in on their group, and once more Maria was reminded of how things were different today than they were back in high school when they were all newcomers to this insane drama “My name is Maria Deluca. So, you are new to this town?” she sighed. “I might have been gone a long time, but I know a face?”

“I have been here nearly five years, so not so much but I guess to you I would be and yes, I know who you are because you mother has been singing your praises and all the media that we do get in this town has been trumpeting how you are a favorite daughter of this town” Serena smiled as they observed the party together as they talked. “I am a doctor, and I am helping Max and Isabel on their project?”

“What kind of project would they have going with a doctor” Maria asked as she knew Isabel was in fashion, and Max’s career was unknown but certainly it was not in the science or medical fields despite his gifted abilities to be in the honor roll with Liz in those subjects back in school. Which is why they had the capacity to spend time together and get to know each other. “I am not a favorite daughter of this town. They never thought I would amount to much or anything than the Cheese Factory or the Pizza Pan waitress. Maybe Cow Patties, but they did not expect anything of me. The favorite daughter was Liz, because she was always destined to do something special in this world,” she smiled without a hint of resentment because she loved that Liz was conquering the world and living up to her potential. Which is what she had seen for themselves when they were in high school. With her role being the wacky sidekick to the upcoming scientist, out there making discoveries.

“We all have our specialities. And by being in this town. I know you are loved for what you have accomplished,” Serena smiled as he ignored the question Maria had started off with and Maria noticed…

“It was a lot of hard work,” Maria conceded “So, you did not say, why are you helping out Max and Isabel?”

“They hired me to help out with a friend” Serena murmured as she glanced over at Max and Liz still dancing. Still in their own world she thought. She had come to learn over the years from Isabel that there had been only one woman for Max. And it had been someone he had lost back at the conclusion of their high school careers. And now seeing the two together, she suspected this was the one who had captured Max’s heart.

As they were a captivating couple.

“I might be a little out of the game and the loop, but I am not aware of how Isabel would be involved with the medical field?” Maria murmured. “She runs her own fashion boutique, right” asked. “And Kyle is a high school basketball coach?”

“Yes,” Serena confirmed. “Glow, it caters to events like this. The elegant, and the formal. But they have everyday stuff too…”

“Then how would she be involved, and Max, while he was the brain like Liz in terms of science. Still, I have heard nothing of him going into that kind of field?” Maria asked as she was now on the hunt now that she had a scent of something, and she knew that Max’s career was always on the unexplained track when she talked to her mother or her stepfather.

“I am helping them out with their gravely ill friend…” Serena murmured without giving the name, and Maria went pale at the mention of friend because she was only aware of one friend who would get both Max and Isabel involved in the same mission to protect them. “Oh,” Serena murmured as it seemed like Maria had some recognition, despite the lack of the name. “I was not aware you knew him?”

“Who is he?” Maria gasped.

“Michael Guerin,” came Serena who knew she had stepped into it this time. She knew that Max and Isabel were keeping Michael’s illness a secret, and she was not planning on giving the name, but this woman seemed to know the gravity of the secret among her friend” and the impact of the name hit Maria like a force as she looked at her friend who was dancing the night away in her own world, and then she looked over at her son.

Charlie, she thought.

“I am sorry,” Serena murmured. “I am sorry about that… I did not know he meant something to you?”
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Baby, It's You (CC, Mature) - Chapter 9 - 05/20/2021

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Maria arrives and so the drama starts.....
She questions Michael's absence.
Yes, Charlie is smarter than the average 6 year old.
Why does the Max and Liz bubble always burst??
Serena is taking care of a gravely ill patient..........