What was your "Breakthrough Fic"?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

jbangelo
Administrator

Re: What was your "Breakthrough Fic"?

Post by jbangelo »

Mine was To Sunrise from Indigo. Why? I dunno... because it's the longest story I've written? :lol: To this day, it's the story I had the most fun writing.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

For those of you who claim you don't have a breakthrough fic, I'm sure you do. :) I think a breakthrough fic could also be something that helps you breakthrough barriers in your writing. For instance, I wrote a fic years ago called Beautiful, which a lot of Candies have read; but I would consider it to be a breakthrough in my writing, not so much in the number of people who read it or the amount of feedback it got.
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

Great topic.

Mine would have to be Happy.

At the time it was written, most of the fics I'd written had been on the light side. It's definitely the most intense fic I've ever written. I know of at least one reader who the subject matter hit home personally with. I don't think I've ever felt more like I'd done a good job as a writer than when that person shared with me how close the story was to them, and how much they enjoyed it.

Even though I'm sure it is probably not the greatest thing I have ever written, it is the fic I'm am most proud of.

~Chad~
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Mine was definately my first fic, ALPHA & OMEGA.

Other fics of mine might have been more popular, but that fic really helped introduce the readers to me, and I still get really nice feedback from it after several years.
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

This is a great question. It is always interesting as a writer to reflect back on what "hit" for you and also why that might have been at the time?

For me I have three stories that I sort of consider my "what the heck was it about this one that hit a nerve?" fics.

The first one where I actually felt like people were into the story was Out of the Woods, the first part of my trilogy. I think the mystery of why Max and Michael were acting so out of character was what drew people in.

A couple of years later, Between the Sand and Stone really seemed to hit a nerve, I think because people were so frustrated by the character destruction of Max on the show. I tried to write a story that explained it, brought back the Max that we had all fallen in love with, but which also didn't sweep what had happened on the show under the carpet. It didn't work for some (a very good friend of mine - the one I was really trying to get back on "Max's side" is an example of someone it didn't work for - in spite of all my attempts to convince her otherwise), but I think it did work for a lot of people because they trusted me. I've always been known as a die-hard dreamer (and to some a Max "apologist" :wink: ), so people were willing to go on the ride with me.

Lastly, Burn for Me was one that I consider a really big leap for me. It was written so differently from everything else I'd ever written, it involved the DUPES of all things (I hated the dupes, with the possible exception of Ava), and it killed off characters! And, yet, it took off. To this day I'm not sure why. Possibly because it was quite clearly the first story I wrote where I knew exactly where I was going when I started (even if took way longer than I anticipated to get there - 24 parts instead of the ten I had originally envisioned!).
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

Hmm, good question. I still think I'm breaking through, but the first fic I wrote, kept and completed on the board would be Abduction. It just fit very closely to who I am and that would be my world of weirdness. It's never about how many people read your fic or comment because at the end of the day you are writing for yourself. So I look back and I'm satisfied. Because so many times I've just wanted to throw in the towel with fanfiction because I get so frustrated. Then I have to take some time to reflect and figure out what it is I'm doing. And in Abduction I feel like I just touched the surface of where I wanted to go. I was so afraid of the potential in it, I clammed up and just contracted everything together. I like it though. I like leaving uncertainty in the ending.
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Janetfl »

Oh that's an easy one for me. I never atempted to write a fic until I found this board so my first ever experience in writing was I'm Lost Without You.

I believe that story got me noticed on the board. The feedback was amazing and I earned quite a few loyal readers from that story. Although I have to say that I have improved on my writing since then and some of my more recent work, in my opinion, is better written.

JAN :mrgreen:
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
Anniepoo98
Forum Moderator

Post by Anniepoo98 »

This is a really great question. I think for me, my first breakthrough fic, writing wise, was These Dreams. It was the first story that I really started playing around with characterizations and plot twists.

As far as response wise, my other breakout story was 24. The response this story blew me away because I really wasn't expecting it at all. If anything, I thought that most people might not like the story because it was darker than anything I had written before. Plus, I knew that I was going to kill off a major character and I didn't expect it to go over well. The fact that that people read the story and liked it despite all of that really meant a lot to me.
maipigen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by maipigen »

Well...err, considering I've only written two Roswell fics, I guess my "breakthrough" one has to be The Antarian Timetravellers. It's still a work in progress and it's gonna be a long time (I think) before it's completely finished, but yeah - that fic got me back into the Roswell fandom and introduced me to this site as a sideeffect (a good one:)).

I've always felt more comfortable being a reader so writing this fic sort of frightens me on some aspects - mostly because it's one of the more popular ones that I've ever written and posted on the Net. I just hope people will continue to like it and I'll have fun and meet more great people in the process:)

Happy writing and reading to All:)
Ditte Mai

WON:
Favorite Newcomer:)
Best Fic No One’s Reading, but Everyone Should Be
Best New Fanfiction

How did that happen?
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

dreamer19 wrote:I still think I'm breaking through
I believe I'm in the same situation. The first fic I wrote was "Incomplete". It wasn't my first piece (that was the ficlet "Feels like home to me") but it was my first real story containing more than one chapter.

In many ways it was a revalation: I never had written before (not even in my mother language), let alone let someone read it too. The fact that I found a great beta in BB helped me with my English grammar and spelling. Not only did she correct the text, I learned a lot to improve my writing.

Honestly I can say I could've done more with "Incomplete". It was certainly material that could be used for a very long running fic. The fact that it was my first fic and that I was a bit insecure about the time and the energy to complete it, made me choose to keep it short.

At the moment I'm writing "Twined roads". Will this one be my real break through? I don't know, ask me within a year or so. We'll see...
Take a look at Eva's world