The 30th Max POV 1/1 *complete* 5/30/2024

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

The 30th Max POV 1/1 *complete* 5/30/2024

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Title: The 30th
Disclaimer: I owe nothing to Roswell or Billie Ellish lyrics
Rating: G
Category: AU without aliens
Author: Lovelypom83

Summary: taking Billie Ellish song "The 30th" and mixing Roswell into it, everything in Bold lettering is the lyrics

This story is told only told from Max's POV, more so like his thoughts. No dialog.

The 30th
By Billie Ellish

https://youtu.be/WyrZYGmoaFM?si=PTLGNXDEOpGHFxap

Sometimes, you look the same
Just like you did before the accident
When you're staring into space
It's hard to believe you don't remember it
Woke up in the ambulance
You pieced it all together on the drive
I know you don't remember calling me
But I told you, even then you looked so pretty
In a hospital bed
I remember you said you were scared
And so was I
In a stand-still on The Five, thought it was unusually early traffic
Usually, I don't panic, I just wanted to be on time
When I saw the ambulances on the shoulder, I didn't even think of pulling over
I pieced it all together late that night
And I know you don't remember calling me
In a hospital bed
And so was I
What if it happened to you on a different day?
On a bridge, where there wasn't a rail in the way?
Or a neighborhood street where the little kids play?
Or the Angeles Crest in the snow or the rain?
What if you weren't alone? There were kids in the car
What if you were remote? No one knows where you are
If you changed anything, would you not have survived?
You're alive, you're alive, you're alive
And I know you don't remember calling me
In your hospital bed
And so am I

+++++++++++++++++++×+××+++++++++++++++××+×+++++

The 30th

Max POV

Her name is Elizabeth Evans, my wife of 15 years. She's my high school sweetheart, the prom king and queen of 2012. We decided to wait to have kids, getting our careers settled first. Having to juggle both would have been nearly impossible, everyone we went to school with knew we were nearly inseparable. We spent all our time together and we didn't care what anyone said about us, I knew I was going to marry her when I was 14yrs old.

We started out as best friends, then as we grew I had this need to protect her at all costs, and here we are Married for 15 years but together for well over 20 years. We welcomed twins 2018...one boy and one girl, they aren't identical but Sophie is the splitting image of Liz and Samuel is the splitting image of myself.

Liz hated to drive anywhere, but she did when she had to...usually when I had to work. She wasn't good at multi tasking, I remember Maria kept saying to her that she had to tap into her driving alter ego in order to get things from her life done rather than waiting around for me to be able to do it with her.

I remember that morning, I was supposed to be off that day. You were hesitant about getting errands done, you had a lot on your plate. So, I took some things from you knowing how overwhelmed you can become.

With a few kisses from myself to you...and kisses on the cheek to Sophie and Sammy, you left 10 minutes before us. With a lighter load I knew you'd be okay, at least I'd hoped you'd be okay.

It was 30 weeks ago, but feels like 30 days...Sometimes, you look the same Just like you did before the accident. The same carefree girl I fell in love with. She seemed guarded now, with same smile and gleam in her eyes.

When you're staring into space, she seemed scared of reliving that day. The 30th of May, It's hard to believe you don't remember it. While it's embedded into my mind.

There's bits and pieces you remember, but it's still fuzzy. The doctors say it's normal regarding the impact of the accident, everyone saying to be thankful you were even alive.

She woke up in the ambulance, that's what the EMTs said to me. You pieced it all together on the drive to the hospital. When I found out, my heart fell--I know you don't remember calling me.

Walking into the emergency room, seeing you all bruised almost unrecognizable, but I told you, even then you looked so pretty.

In a hospital bed
, I held your hand and waited for you to wake up...silently praying for strength for you, for me.

And so was I...
that was a understatement. Maria and Michael wanted me to take a break, and get some rest. That was an impossible task, all I could was relive that morning and tried to think how this happened to you, to us. You are the safer driver, knowing you wouldn't put your life at risk.

Thinking back, I remembered being on the freeway,
In a stand-still on The Five, thought it was unusually early traffic... I had the kids with me, you wanted to drive them...but I insisted because it was on my way to the office.

Usually, I don't panic, I just wanted to be on time
When I saw the ambulances on the shoulder, I didn't even think of pulling over
Seeing the mangled range rover, it was the same model and color as yours, but yet it didn't click into place. I told myself it was just a coincidence, nothing to worry about.

Having time to think about it, your car was so obvious, I should have known instead of ignoring it.
Early that morning, after the accident...I pieced it all together late that night.

Alex and Isabel offered to sit with you once you were awake, so I could get something to eat, but I refused. Just the thought of you being in that white room without me, being fragile and so unaware. I couldn't stand it, And I know you don't remember calling me . But I told you, even then you looked so pretty. In a hospital bed.

With my head in my hands, you were resting. Family came in and out, our kids only came to visit once you became more like yourself. I didn't want to scare them, them being so little. They thought it was like a small vacation away from Mom and Dad. They had fun playing with their cousins, not really thinking about how serious this situation is.

When you fully woke up,you glared at me with tears in your eyes, unable to say anything. I wiped them away.
I remember you said you were scared, I gave you a kiss which you reluctantly took. We shared a look
And so was I, but didn't say anything. I didn't want to put doubt in your mind.

A week later, you were released. We did are best to go back to our daily routine, but it was flawed. You were scared to drive at first, which is understandable to think of all the different scenarios that might have happened, and how close I was to actually losing you. My love.

You stared outside almost reliving the moment, but made think about everything on a bigger scale,
What if it happened to you on a different day?
On a bridge, where there wasn't a rail in the way?
Or a neighborhood street where the little kids play?
Or the Angeles Crest in the snow or the rain?
What if you weren't alone?
There were kids in the car?
What if you were remote?
No one knows where you are.

With all the possible 'what ifs' hanging in the balance, I would've never seen you're smile anymore or kissed your lips, rasing our kids without a mom or going through the rest my life without my wife.

If you changed anything,
would you not have survived?

I remember the hospital calling to say you've been in an accident, and them saying you were stable and myself screaming in my head...
You're alive, you're alive, you're alive!

This changed her, her smile was present but it had faded a bit and I know you don't remember calling me. She was still my Lizzie, but slightly altered, I feel like I lost the smallest piece of her because of that day. God answered my prayers of not losing you that day, the kids made her cards and pictures of 'get well soon' and 'mom we love you'. The distant glazed look on your face is enough to torment all the questions I still have buzzing in my head.

In your hospital bed...
she looked so lost in her hospital room, once she was awake and aware of what happened, she spent most of the time looking out the window, only half paying attention to Maria, Michael, Isabel, Alex, Kyle, Serena, Nancy and Jeff. When she was talking to Sophie, Sammy, and myself is the only time she dedicated her full attention to us. Liz did it more for the kids because she didn't want to scare them, knowing how much they were already freaked out.

I remember you said you were scared, I gazed into your eyes. Holding your cheek in my hand, kissing your forehead as you held onto me for dear life. She didn't know what was to come of this situation or of me...this was new territory. But I had to hold it together for her and our family if she would have found out that I was lost...she would have been lost too. This time when she told me 'she was scared, I simply replied whole heartedly

And so am I...

In knowing this, Liz was alive and if she could survive this traumatic accident then we could survive anything as long as we had each other. Our love can carry us through anything, and this is no different.

The end.