I Won't Hurt Anymore! AU NA M/L Mature epi. 10/17/10

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

I Won't Hurt Anymore! AU NA M/L Mature epi. 10/17/10

Post by mary mary »

Title: I Won’t Hurt Anymore

Author: Ginger

Genre: AU N/A M/L Mature

Summary : Max has strayed once too often

As I stood at the mirror putting the finishing touches on my hair before heading on out the door to go to work I knew I should be feeling something. Anything. But there was nothing.

It was as though all of the life had been sucked out of me and the ability to laugh, cry, shout, even smile had left my body. There was nothing, absolutely nothing. I was numb…it was the only word I could find to describe how I felt. He was gone and I knew it was the best thing for me. I knew this in my head but my heart was dead.

I knew when I married him that it would come to this someday…I knew it in my head but my heart wouldn’t let him go. I knew he would be mine for just a while and I was willing to settle for just a while. So my heart told me but my head said I should have better sense. I didn’t. I wanted him so badly. I ached when we were apart. I longed for his touch, to hear his voice, to see his smile, to watch him laugh. I lived for it all but I knew deep down that it was fleeting.

I reached for my purse and keys and headed for the door when I noticed he had left his jacket in the hall closet. Why didn’t he take all of his belongings? I picked up the jacket after I put my own on and walked out the door with it over my arm. I calmly walked to the side yard where the trash can was, lifted the lid and threw the jacket in without a second thought. He should have taken his jacket, it was quite a nice leather jacket after all. Oh well, it’s gone now. I slowly walked to the garage and got into my car, still in my calm, unfeeling, uncaring haze and drove off. I vaguely remember seeing a vehicle sitting at the curb as I left but managed to ignore it as I made my way to the end of the block and headed west.

As I drove through the morning traffic my mind wandered back to the whirlwind courtship we had. It was dazzling. Dazzling being the only word that my mind would come up with. He showered me with attention like I had never had before. Phone calls, cards, notes, flowers, beautiful hotel suites for just overnight or entire week-ends. We did things I had never done before and he treated me like I was the only person on the planet. It was a fairytale and I was the princess. It was wonderful. When he proposed my heart literally jumped with joy and my head said ‘be careful’.

I refused his proposal the first time. He later threw this up into my face while trying to justify his actions but I paid him no mind. By that time I had been through enough of his smooth talk and lies to let it all fall on deaf ears. The second time he proposed I convinced myself that he truly did love me and wanted to make a life with me but my head kept telling me ‘be careful’. The second time, a year later, I said yes and we tied the knot.

Before the marriage I was always comfortable with him and loved everything about him but after the marriage all of that security and comfort was gone. It was like I was waiting for the left shoe to drop all of the time and I could never figure out why. It wasn’t any one thing that stood out…I could never put my finger on exactly what made me so uncomfortable, uneasy. You know how, when you just feel something is wrong but there really isn’t any evidence of foul play, you just know it’s there. Well that’s how it was. I would find him and my best friend just a little too cozy for a husband and best friend to be but I would tell myself that I was crazy. It happened more times than I care to count. I kept thinking about it on my way to the office, why didn’t I just confront him? Well, if I would have he would have just laughed at me. He should have been an actor, he would have won an Oscar.

When I finally did catch him red handed he still had the gall to tell me that what I was seeing wasn’t really what it looked like. I had arrived home a day early from a business trip. I stood there dumb founded and then I started laughing. Out and out laughing at him as did Tess. We both looked at each other, my best friend and me, and we laughed at the ridiculous statement that man had just made.

“It wasn’t what it looked like!”

Jesus Christ Almighty, just how else could it be interpreted? They were both naked, in our bed, wine glasses on the night stand and humping like two dogs in heat and it wasn’t what it looked like! If he hadn’t said what he did I probably would have hit him with my overnight bag.

I started to giggle as I drove into the parking lot at work…what an idiot! Him or me? Take your pick.

The only sane one in the bunch was Tess…she just wanted a good time. Didn’t make any difference whose husband or boyfriend it was as long as it was fun with no strings attached. Well Max, go have fun. Feed your ego or whatever it is your craving because this chick is out of here for good.

The sad part is I knew Tess was like that, I just never dreamed that she would use my husband. Boy was I wrong on all counts. Well, I won’t be wrong anymore, not about this and it will be a very long time before anyone will have the chance to do it to me again. If you can’t trust your best friend then don’t have one. The really sad thing is, and it is sad, I don’t blame Tess. I knew what she was like, she has always been like this. I blame me for being so stupid. I don’t even blame Max…I wanted him, I got him and I knew it wouldn’t last. Sad part is, I think deep down I was hoping that it would last. I should have listened to my head, I really did know better.

When I finally reached my desk I was almost, not all the way but almost, out of my dazed state.
I put my purse on the shelf under the right hand side of the desk and walked to the coat room to hang my jacket on a hanger, grabbed two paper cups from the dispenser and filled both with coffee. I put sugar in one and left the other black then headed back to my desk and poured both cups into the mug that I took from my desk drawer. My coworker across from me was just settling into her area and we both filled each other in on our plans for the day and started to get to work. The day didn’t drag but it could have been a little busier, it would have kept my mind more occupied and I wouldn’t have had as many little mental interruptions but all in all it was a good day.

As it slowly started to wind down my phone started ringing and I looked up surprised…I never take calls at work. Being the boss affords me these privileges and not taking phone calls is one I truly like. I am never interrupted, never, and I love it. I slowly reached over and lifted the receiver and hit the blinking light and said:

“Sue, what’s up?”

“It’s your husband on line two.”

“Tell him I’ve gone for the day.” And I hung up.

Courtney looked over at me with raised eyebrows but never said a word as she reached into her bottom desk drawer for her purse. Then she turned and looked at me and said…

“Hey, are you okay?”

I looked back at her and smiled…

“Never better.”

And you know what? I was right! As I reached for my purse I noticed my wedding rings…very expensive wedding rings…I took them off and threw them in the trash can on my way out the door. If someone found them they could keep them, if not they are where they belong right along with everything else of that mans.

“I won’t hurt anymore Max Evans.”

The End

*~*~*
Last edited by mary mary on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: I Won't Hurt Anymore! AU NA M/L Mature epi. 10/17/10

Post by mary mary »

Epilogue

Max POV

I sat out in front of our house this morning…I won’t call it a home because I don’t think that’s what it is anymore…and I watched as my wife walked out the front door with my leather jacket over her arm. I wondered what she was going to do with it as I watched her lock and check the door and thought to myself:

“She’s going to call me to come and get it and then we can have coffee and talk. I know she’ll forgive me…she has to!”

And then I watched as she walked to the side gate and opened it. She lifted the lid to the trash bin and dumped the jacket inside. I couldn’t believe she would do that!

She looks so beautiful. She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen…I know she’ll forgive me, she has to. Well, maybe she won’t but I have to try to win her back. I don’t know why I slept with Tess, I really don’t know why. She has always come on to me and I’ve flirted back, it always gave me such a rush… but then her and Liz just stood there and laughed at me. What was that? This isn’t funny.

I followed her to work and she walked into the office and went to her desk as usual. I could see through the large window and I watched as she hung her jacket and got her coffee. She greeted everyone and sat down as though nothing had happened. She has to be feeling something…she just has to. She’s acting as though she hasn’t got a care in the world. I’ll wait until later and give her a call. Giver her some time to think things over. God! It took her so long to say yes and when she did I wanted to scream with happiness and now look at us. Why did she insist I leave. We could have talked about this yesterday, but no. She threw my suitcase at me and then left the house. When she came back she had boxes, lots of boxes and told me to start filling them up and leave. She told me to make sure I took only what I came into this marriage with and nothing more. My clothes and my car. Nothing else belonged to me… the free ride was over.

I don’t know what she meant by the free ride…what free ride? Yes, my business wasn’t thriving but I had to have working capital…she should understand that. I couldn’t be putting money into a house when she was making enough to support us… I had to keep the business running. Granted it was taking longer than I thought it would but that wasn’t my fault. I will probably have to give it up now and I really don’t want to do that. It is so much fun to do all of the different things I get to do and I have met so many nice people while doing my repairs. Being a handyman has been wonderful. Granted, I was making very good money as an engineer but I was always answering to someone else. This way I get to name my own hours and get paid for doing my work instead of someone else getting paid for what I did. She should understand this…these things take time. It’s only been seven years. I just don’t understand.

And then there’s the thing with Tess. It didn’t mean anything, she knows that. She should understand…Tess has always been around and she always will be. We were just spending some time together, nothing to get excited over.

I’ll stop in and talk to John, John will understand. He and Julia split last year and he has been having a great time. I’m sure he’ll understand.

Well, I just left John’s and I’m sorry as hell I went there. The man looked at me like I had three heads. He wanted to know what the hell I was thinking and in my own home yet. He said I didn’t even have the decency to go to Tess’s place…to get caught in my own marriage bed with my wife’s best friend had to be the dumbest thing he had ever heard of. What the hell is wrong with him? He’s supposed to be on my side for God’s sake. It was nothing. When I tried to explain that to him he just looked at me and shook his head, then he asked me to leave but before I did he informed me that when this was all over he would ask Liz out. Can you imagine? My best friend telling me that he is going to ask my wife out. This is not over! It’s just a misunderstanding, that’s all. Liz will come around. I know she will. She loves me.

After I left John’s place I headed over to the “Country Kitchen” for some coffee and to talk to Jenny, my favorite waitress. She has the prettiest eyes you’ve ever seen. She’ll make me feel better.

When I got to the coffee shop Tess was there with one of her male friends having a cup of coffee and she nodded as I walked by. I found a seat in Jenny’s section and she handed the menu over to Casey and walked away from my booth as if I had the plague. Casey walked over and slammed the menu down on the table and walked off quicker than you could say hello. What in the hell was wrong with these people? They all know me…shit, they all know Liz too. We’ve eaten in here many times and they’re treating me like dirt. It wasn’t long before Tess and her friend left and then Jenny came over with a cup of coffee. She looked me square in the face and said, in the iciest tone I’ve ever heard…

”You’re not welcome here anymore Max. We can forgive Tess because we all know she’s as loose as a goose but there’s no forgiving you. You are scum so just take your business elsewhere. We could never figure out how that beautiful woman stayed with you in the first place but know this. You won’t be getting any service in here. The coffee is on the house…drink it and leave.”

And with that she turned and left me sitting there stunned. What the hell did I do? Everyone has a weak moment…you’d think I committed treason the way they are acting.

It was almost five o’clock by this time so I decided to give Liz a call and see if we could meet up and have some coffee and conversation and straighten this mess out so I dialed her number.

I told Sue, the receptionist, who I was and asked to be connected to Liz. I was sitting outside watching through the window and when Sue came back on the line and told me that Liz had left for the day I couldn’t believe it. She was sitting right there. Then I could see Courtney say something to her and she smiled and picked up her purse. I watched as she went to the coat rack and got her jacket and put it on. Then she picked up her purse from where she laid it down and started to walk out. I watched her as she did the strangest thing…she removed her rings and tossed them into the trash can. Then it hit me…she’s done. Should I go get those rings. They were worth a small fortune and so I got out of the car and headed to the office just as Sue was coming out of the door.

“Hi Max.” She said in a friendly voice and kept on going. I nodded and smiled and then went over to her desk and started rummaging through her trash can. I know what I saw but nothing was there that I wanted and then it dawned on me. Sue saw Liz throw the rings away. Should I approach her and ask for them back. She would only deny it and I had no proof…I would just have to accept the fact that my life has changed over night and I had to move on.

Oh well, if this is the way she wants to play the game then I’ll have to find a job and call it a day. She never did understand me anyway. I treated her like a god damn queen and this is what I get. I know there’s someone out there that will take me as I am but I’ll have to move out of this town that’s for sure.

I’m Max Evans and I won’t be stopped.
Last edited by mary mary on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.