Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) COMPLETE, 07/23/17

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 27

Post by April »

Carolyn:
Well Amy let the cat out of the bag.......now Max knows the truth about Maria's trip.
To say he was disappointed she lied is an understatement.
I wonder how much longer they will be together??
Max was a lot calmer about it than a lot of guys would have been. A lot calmer than he himself would have been if something like this had happened a couple years ago. But Maria needs to be more honest with him if she wants their relationship to work. She's kept a lot of secrets and told a lot of little lies to him lately, and eventually, if that continues, he's not going to be so calm anymore. :?
Maria's meeting with Tina didn't go well at all.......matter of fact she has no respect for Maria.
She really doesn't. No respect for her whatsoever. So basically Maria's words went right in one ear and out the other.

Sara:
Wow...Tina is ANGRY. Really angry. I think Maria going to see her was the right thing but man...ow.
Yeah, that was a pretty brutal scene to write (but oh so fun. ;) ) Tina is angry at a lot of things, I feel, not just Maria. I think she's angry about a lot of things that have happened in her young life. And Maria showed up there and basically became a verbal punching bag.
I also think Maria and Michael will never truly be friends until they hash out everything they went through and their feelings. They are still skirting around it but I think this last talk was really honest and it amazes me that they are just now talking about it.
They do need to talk more about things. It's been such an awkward, uncomfortable thing coming back into each other's lives that they haven't done so yet, but hopefully now that they're getting used to each other again, they can get some of their issues out on the table.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback!

Part 27

Liz got into her car after a long day of work, happy to be off her feet. She put her seatbelt on and glanced in the rearview mirror at her daughter, who was curled up in her car seat, pacifier in her mouth, sleeping.

“You ready to go home, baby?” she asked, thinking that it must be nice to eat and sleep and play all day.

Mental note, she thought as she stuck the key in the ignition, wean her off this pacifier. As cute as it was, Scarlet was almost two years old now, and at this point, sucking on that was more of a habit for her than anything else.

Liz twisted the key, but the car sputtered and growled a bit, never quite springing to life. She pumped the brake a few times and tried again. Still nothing.

“Crap,” she swore. Car problems. The last thing anyone needed.

She tried one more time just for the hell of it, but once again, no luck. Instinctively, she took out her phone to call Alex, though she doubted he’d have any more of an idea what to do than she did. After just two rings, it kicked straight on to voicemail.

“You’ve reached Alex Whitman. I can’t take your call right now, but--”

She hung up and thought through her options. There was always Doug, but he wasn’t the grease monkey type. And neither was Sean, who was probably too busy canoodling with this new girlfriend of his to come help her. So that pretty much left one person.

She dialed Max’s number, and he picked up on the third ring. “Yeah?”

“Hey,” she said. “It’s me.” She hated to ask, because she knew he was at the end of a long, tiring work day of his own, but she couldn’t just sit there and wait for some stranger to come help her out. “I need a favor.”

Thankfully for her, Max was on his way home from work and was only a few blocks away, so he was able to be there quickly. He didn’t seem to mind having to stop and help her, and it was probably made better by the fact that he got to see Scarlet. She woke up a little bit when she saw him, then went right back to sleep again.

“So it just wouldn’t start?” Max asked as he looked under the hood.

“No.” Liz gently bounced Scarlet as she walked around outside the car, alternating between patting and rubbing her back.

“Hmm.” He poked around at a few things, and she wondered if he had any idea what he was doing. Sure, Max had a blue collar job now, but he’d grown up in white collar life style. He didn’t seem super mechanical. But he looked the part. Having been on the construction site all day, he had smudges of dirt on his arms and his shirt.

“Thanks again for coming,” she said. “I know you probably just wanna get home.”

“Well, so do you,” he said, jiggling something under the hood.

“I just feel bad for calling you.”

“I don’t mind,” he said. “You know I’ll always be here.”

She smiled appreciatively, happy that that was the case. Because a few years ago, it hadn’t been.

“Oh . . .” Liz half-cried, half-groaned as another contraction gripped her body. She felt like her insides were being twisted around and chewed up. And like her back was being cut in half. She just wanted to push already, but the nurses and doctors kept telling her she wasn’t dilated enough.

Her mom had left the room to go get something to eat, which meant she had no hand to squeeze. And she was adamant about not having her dad in there with her. As much as she loved him, it would just be too weird for her to push out a baby with him standing next to her. She was about to call him in, though, because this whole suffering through a contraction alone thing just wasn’t going to work.

Alex was out there, too. She could always call him.

As the contraction subsided and sweet, beautiful relief set in again, she found herself crying. Not because of the pain, and not because she was scared of what it would feel like when it came time to push. No, she was crying because . . . because she was alone in this. Really, as much as Alex would be there for her and her parents would be there for her, she was going to have to do this alone. A single parent. A single mother. All by herself.

She reached over to the bedside tray and picked up her phone, mentally debating whether or not she should call Max. She found his name on her contact list, and she wanted to reach out to him, no doubt about that. She just wanted to let him know that it was all happening, that he was about to be a father again. But they hadn’t spoken since he’d left Roswell, and he’d been such a mess back then. What if he was still a mess now? Maybe she was better off on her own.

Squeezing the phone, she shut her eyes and continued to cry, figuring she had the right to cry all she wanted to today. But suddenly, there was a knock on the door that alerted her. When her eyes snapped open, she almost couldn’t believe what she saw.

“Max,” she gasped, wondering if she was seeing things. He was like a mirage. There was no way he was really there.

He was, though. He came into the room with balloons and flowers and set them down on the table. “Hey,” he said, coming towards her hospital bed. “How you holdin’ up?”

“Not so good,” she admitted. “It’s really painful.”

“Just think of the end result,” he told her. “I hear we’re gonna have a daughter.”

She smiled tearfully. “Who told you?”

“Your mom. She called my mom, and my mom called me, told me it was happening today.”

“Well, the doctor said it might not happen until tonight,” she cautioned. “Or maybe even tomorrow. I’m gonna have a long labor.”

He pulled a chair up beside her bed and reached out to hold her hand. “I’ll be here,” he promised.

She studied him curiously, wondering where he had been, what he had done while he was gone. He clearly wasn’t the same lost boy he’d been when she’d last seen and spoken to him. “Are you done doing drugs?” she asked. She couldn’t be around someone who was an addict; she couldn’t let her child be around that.

“I’m clean,” he promised. “I went and got help, like I said I would. I’m doin’ better now.”

She breathed a sigh of relief, gently squeezing his hand. “Thank God.” She wasn’t under any false pretense that they would get back together or anything, but if he could be a good guy and be a good father, then that was what she wanted. “I’m so glad you’re here,” she confessed.

“Well, I missed out on this with Dylan,” he said. “I’m not gonna miss out on this with . . .” He trailed off and scratched the side of his head. “Do you know what you’re gonna name her?”

“I haven’t decided,” she said. “I really like Hannah and Emma and Scarlet.”

“Scarlet,” he pinpointed immediately. “I like that one.”

“Scarlet,” she echoed, testing out the full sound of it. “Scarlet Parker.”

He smiled, seeming to take no offense that she didn’t intend to use his last name. Of course she couldn’t, not after he’d just reappeared after months of absence.

But it was still comforting that he was here.

Max jiggled something else around, pulled on something, then shut the hood. “I’m gonna try it,” he announced, getting behind the wheel. With one leg hanging out the door, he stuck the key in, turned it, and . . . the car roared to life!

“Oh my god!” Liz exclaimed. “You fixed it!”

“Look at that,” he said. “I’m a mechanic.”

She laughed, and much like the car, so too did Scarlet start to come to life on her shoulder. She reached her pudgy little arms out for her dad, and Liz handed her over to him.

“You hear that? Daddy’s mechanical,” Max said, bouncing her up and down on his knee. “Yes, he is.”

Liz quickly whipped out her cell phone and took a picture. Just in case something happened and Max wasn’t around someday, whether he slipped back into old habits or he and Maria just moved somewhere else, she wanted to make sure Scarlet had lots of photos so she always knew how much her daddy loved her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael had to drag himself through work that afternoon. Luckily there wasn’t football practice, because he couldn’t muster up any energy or enthusiasm. Not today. Not after . . .

“Hey,” Sarah greeted cheerily when he walked in the door. “How’d your test go?”

Test? He’d had a test today? Oh, yeah. He wasn’t even thinking about it now. “It was fine.”

“Think you aced it?”

“Oh, yeah.” He wasn’t trying to sound cocky, but . . . hell, he was confident.

“Of course, of course,” she said. “Okay, what do you want for dinner? Cajun chicken pasta or chicken alfredo?” She held up a jar of alfredo sauce in one hand and a packet of Cajun seasoning mix in the other. “We have to get rid of this chicken one way or another.”

“Either one’s fine,” he said, setting his jacket on the back of one of the chairs.

“Hmm . . . chicken alfredo,” she decided. “Easier to make. You wanna cook it with me?”

He sauntered towards her, trying his best to looked sexy as he promised, “Oh, we’re gonna get cookin’.”

“God, you can turn, like, everything into something sexual.”

He shrugged unabashedly. “It’s a gift.”

“I guess.” She turned on the right front burner to high, reached under the oven to take out a big two-handled pot, and brought it over to the sink to fill it up with water. “So are you gonna help?” she asked.

“Yeah, if you want.” He wasn’t sure how much help he’d be, but he could do simple stuff, like stirring.

She cast a curious glance at him over her shoulder, and when she had the pot all filled and brought it back to the stove to set it down on the burner, she knowingly asked, “What’s wrong?”

By now, he knew he could tell her what had happened today without her getting mad, but he still didn’t want to. “Nothin’,” he muttered. No need to burden her with his problems.

“Well, when you say it like that, it really sounds like something.”

He sighed, resigned to telling her about what had happened. He wasn’t doing a good job of hiding it, and she wouldn’t give up until she knew. “I think I was a jackass today,” he admitted, wishing he could go back in time and say a few things differently. Or maybe just not say them at all.

“To who?” she questioned.

“Maria.” He waited a moment, gauging her reaction. There really wasn’t one. “If you don’t wanna hear about it . . .”

“No, I do,” she said. “What happened?”

He shrugged, downplaying it. “I just said some stuff.”

“Such as?”

“Well . . .” If he just got right down to it, she’d wonder why the hell they’d been talking about their relationship in the first place. So he figured he’d give her the full, but abridged, story. “She went to see Tina yesterday,” he explained. “I asked her to talk to her about what it’s like to be such a young mom, ‘cause I just thought it’d be good for her to hear from someone who’s been through it, you know?”

“Right.”

“I mean, she’s not listenin’ to me or my mom.”

“Right, she’s being stubborn,” Sarah agreed.

“Yeah. But apparently Tina wasn’t too receptive to that, and she ended up chewing Maria out.”

Sarah cringed. “Oh, no.”

“Yeah, I guess she was sayin’ all this stuff about Maria and how she never really . . . loved me.”

Sarah reached out to touch his arm, as if to comfort him. “Well, that’s not true.”

“I know it’s not, and I told Maria that. But then I kinda . . . said something I shouldn’t have.”

“What?”

For some reason, when he thought it over now, it sounded a lot harsher than he’d intended it to. “I said it was obvious that, back when we were together, I loved her more than she loved me.”

Sarah gave him a look of disbelief and removed her hand from his arm. “You said that?”

“Well, it’s true. She broke up with me.”

“That doesn’t mean anything,” she argued.

“Yes, it does. Why am I the only one who sees it that way?”

“Michael . . .” She paused for a moment, only long enough to tear open the fettucine box and dump the noodles into the now boiling water. “Don’t you get it? You hurt her feelings. I’m sure she must’ve been upset.”

“Yeah, she left cryin’,” he told her.

“Well, I can see why. That was such a mean thing to say.”

He wrinkled his forehead in confusion, still not seeing how he’d been wrong to say it, though. Sometimes the truth hurt.

“You totally discredited her feelings and offended her,” Sarah said.

“I didn’t mean for it to come off like that. I thought I was just stating a fact.”

“Oh, Michael . . .” She shook her head. “I’m sorry, but you’re so wrong.”

“Why? It’s just my opinion.”

“Okay, tell me this: Why did Maria break up with you and leave Roswell?” Sarah blatantly asked. “Was it because of everything that happened with you and Max and Dylan?”

He shifted uncomfortably, thinking back. “Partially.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, there was other stuff along the way,” he mumbled, “but that was like the catalyst.”

She looked at him expectantly, silently urging him to continue. But he didn’t want to. Talking about the guy he used to be wasn’t always fun for him. That was why he stuck to the simple things like Snowball king.

“She always worried about me,” he told his girlfriend, knowing that she was probably very happy that he was finally opening up about something. “Because she thought I wasn’t ready, and everyone was tellin’ her I wasn’t ready. And maybe I really wasn’t ready, but . . . I don’t know. She didn’t wanna hold me back in life.”

And of course Sarah, insightful girl that she was, then posed the obvious but difficult question. “Do you think she would’ve?”

He’d thought about that a lot over the years, and honestly . . . his opinion had changed. “No,” he said. “Not on purpose.” Truth was, back in high school, he’d never really given a whole lot of thought to the future. He’d been the type to live for the day, for the moment, and just do whatever he was feeling without thinking about the consequences. Those traits didn’t really fly in the real world.

“Why do you think she felt like she was holding you back?” Sarah quietly asked.

“Well, I mean, I was gonna hold off on college when I was with her,” he acknowledged, “ ‘cause money was gonna be pretty tight. And I had it in my head that I’d just go out and find some manual labor type of job and work for a year or two.” When he thought about it now, it sounded awful. It sounded like something he didn’t want to do, because he loved college, and he loved what he was doing there. “I mean, I don’t know if I’d be doin’ quite this well if I was still with her, I guess.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Sarah said as she stirred the noodles beside her. “She left you . . . for you.”

Yeah. She had. He couldn’t dispute that.

“Sounds like she loved you a lot to me.”

“You think?” The fact that Sarah, who was the smartest and most mature person he knew, was taking Maria’s side on this made him second-guess himself, made him consider the possibility that maybe he really was wrong.

“Yeah,” she said. “I mean, I can’t imagine how much strength it takes to do something like that, to make that kind of sacrifice. If someone told me I had to leave you, even if I knew it was in your best interest . . .” She trailed off and shook her head, looking sad at the mere thought of it. “Michael, it would be the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”

He took in and let out a heavy breath, starting to grasp the full range of what an ass he’d been today. His opinion on the whole thing probably was wrong. He hadn’t been able to understand that before, but as usual, Sarah found a way to explain it so that he could understand. “So what do I do now?” he asked her.

“Apologize,” she answered simply. “That’s really all you can do.”

He nodded and said, “Yeah, you’re right,” but he wasn’t sure an apology would be enough for Maria. He’d really hurt her feelings today, and there was no guarantee that she’d get over it.

Quit thinkin’ about Maria, he told himself. He had to focus on other things, too, like the beautiful, insightful girl who was making him dinner tonight. “Hey, speaking of love . . .” he drawled, putting his arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

“I know,” she said. “You love me.”

He really did. Bending his head down, he kissed her, hoping she never forgot that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Maria got home, Max wasn’t exactly . . . affectionate. Clearly he was still a little perturbed at her for lying to him about her whereabouts yesterday, which she understood and couldn’t really blame him for. It created an awkwardness that Maria wasn’t quite used to, though, as he and Dylan spent the majority of the evening in Dylan’s room, doing homework and then playing a little, while she tried to make spaghetti for dinner. Spaghetti. Such a simple thing, yet somehow, all the noodles ended up getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Just when she was beginning to think that her day couldn’t get any worse, the doorbell rang, and when she opened it, Isabel was standing on the other side.

“Oh, great,” she muttered, fighting the urge not to just slam the door in her face.

“Nice to see you, too, Maria,” Isabel greeted sarcastically. “You look awful.”

“Thanks.” That was just what everyone longed to hear after an especially crappy twenty-four hours. She noticed a foil-covered casserole dish in Isabel’s hands, and immediately she feared the worst. “Please don’t tell me that’s food.”

Isabel beamed. “Lasagna. I made it myself. I figured it was time to have a family dinner.”

“We’re not a family, Isabel,” Maria adamantly reminded her.

“Max and I are.” Isabel frowned and tried to peek inside. “Where is he anyway?”

“He’s in the shower,” Maria lied.

“So what aren’t you in there with him? I thought you two were supposed to be a couple again.”

What the hell was she even getting at? Her train of thought had become so twisted at this point. “Couples don’t have to shower together all the time.”

“Jesse and I do.”

“Well, you and Jesse are a very special couple. Goodbye, Isabel.” Maria shut the door right in the other girl’s face, not even feeling the slightest bit bad about it. Not after the day she’d had.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even though they still had a lot of drills left to run, Michael decided to call it quits on practice when he saw cars pulling up out by the field. These parents were impatient, and the kids could only focus on one thing for a short amount of time. Practice didn’t need to be any longer.

“Alright, guys, well, it looks like your parents are here,” he said, ushering them into the huddle. “Good practice, guys. You’re gettin’ a lot better.” They had a game on Saturday that would probably be disastrous, but it would be a little less disastrous than the last one apparently had been.

“Can we go?” Charlie asked. He was the one kid in the bunch who had the worst attitude.

“Before you go, Coach Kyle has something for you,” Michael told them. “Kyle?”

Kyle wheeled himself further into the huddle, balancing a large box on his lap, and the boys made room for him. “Anybody who’s part of this Bulldogs team has to look the part,” he said, “so with that in mind . . .” He reached into the box and pulled out a small green t-shirt with the bulldogs logo on the front.

“Cool!” the kids exclaimed. There was a lot of “Whoa!” too.

“Grab a shirt on the way out,” Kyle instructed them. “Good job, guys.”

They practically mauled Kyle, each one of them more eager than the next to get their hands on their official Bulldogs shirt.

“Hey, what do you say?” Michael reminded them.

They all praised, “Thank you!” at once.

Once they all had their shirts, most of them scattered off to their parents’ cars, but Dylan and Luke stayed behind, begging Kyle to help them more with their pass plays.

Michael headed off the field and met up with Tess on the track. He wasn’t sure how long she’d been standing there, but she had to have been there long enough to see Kyle hand out the shirts. “So what do you think of that?” he asked, motioning towards her fiancé, who was now politely trying to tell Dylan and Luke that it was time to go home.

“I caught the tail-end of practice,” she said. “He looks like he’s having a good time.”

“He is.” It was encouraging to see some spark in friend’s eyes again, even if it was only temporary. “So are you gonna tell him?”

Tess nodded nervously. “Mmm-hmm.”

“When, like tonight?”

“No.”

“Tomorrow night?”

“Sometime this week,” she decided. “How about that?”

“Well, you’d better tell him soon,” he advised. He could only keep a lid on this secret for so long.

“Why? Am I showing?” she fretted dramatically, touching her stomach.

“Oh, yeah.”

She gasped, looking down at her body.

“I’m kidding,” he assured her.

“Shut up,” she snapped, giving him a playful whack on the shoulder. “God, you’re an ass.”

He snickered, looking forward to how much hell he could give her when she started to gain weight and waddle around. He really couldn’t do that with Tina, and when it happened for Sarah someday, he wouldn’t be able to do that with her, either, because he’d have to live with her. But he could tease the hell out of Tess and get away with it.

“Well, we have to meet Sarah for physical therapy,” she said as Kyle started to wheel himself away from the field, “so I have to take him.”

“Okay. See you later.”

“Bye, Coach Kyle!” Dylan and Luke called.

“Bye, guys,” Kyle said, stopping to give Michael a fist-bump as he left. “See ya, man.”

“See ya.” Michael hung back with the boys as other cars started to drive away. But one of them had just pulled up, and that one car was driven by Maria.

Thank God, he thought. He’d really been banking on her being the one to pick Dylan up and not Max. Now maybe he could get some stuff off his chest.

She got out of the car, tipped her sunglasses back on her head, and called, “Alright, Dylan, let’s go,” all the while paying no attention to Michael. “Luke, are we givin’ you a ride home, too?”

“Yeah,” Luke replied. “Bye, Coach.”

“Bye, Micho,” Dylan said as they walked past.

“Bye, guys.” He watched them going, wondering if that was what he and Kyle used to look like. The quarterback and the receiver, even at a young age.

How am I gonna do this? he thought. He didn’t want Maria to leave, but she was just standing at the car, ready to go. If he didn’t say something, she’d take off, and he’d have to wait until tomorrow to clear his conscience. Waiting one day had been hard enough; he didn’t want to wait for another one.

“Hey, Maria,” he called just as the boys were climbing in the back seat. “Can I talk to you?”

She looked reluctant, but at least she didn’t just ignore him. She stood there holding the door open for Dylan and his friend, even when they had already both gotten in, and then she motioned for them to hop back out. “Why don’t you guys go play around a little more before we leave?” she suggested.

“Really?” The boys didn’t need to be told twice. The scampered back out of the car and ran back to the field. Luke immediately picked up the football again and said, “Dylan, catch it!” He launched it into the air, and Dylan ran as fast as his little legs would carry him. It was a little over-thrown, so he didn’t really have a shot at it. But he lunged anyway and laughed as he picked himself up off the grass.

Exactly like me and Kyle, Michael thought. They used to stay late after football all the time when they’d been young like this.

Maria slowly came to meet up with him on the track, her arms wrapped around herself, her expression a deflated one. “You don’t have to apologize,” she mumbled right away.

“What?” Sure he did. Even if Sarah hadn’t opened up his eyes to how wrong he’d been, he still would have felt bad for making Maria cry.

“You’re entitled to your own opinion,” she said dryly, almost as if she’d rehearsed this. “It’s fine. We don’t have to agree.”

“No, we don’t.” And there were plenty of things they’d never agree on—namely, Max. “But I was wrong when I said that. And I am sorry.”

She looked like she was trying to force a smile, but it didn’t materialize. “Thanks.”

“It’s just . . .” He sensed she wasn’t really believing him, or understanding just how bad he felt about yesterday, so he kept going. “We all know I’m not the most emotionally mature guy. So sometimes it’s really hard for me to see things from someone else’s perspective.”

“That’s fine,” she reiterated. “I don’t expect you to understand where I was coming from. Apparently no one does, so . . .”

She sounded so defeated. God, he hated knowing he’d been the one to make her feel that way. “Maria . . .”

“Look, whatever. It doesn’t matter. I don’t even care anymore,” she said, dismissing the whole issue as she stuffed her hands in her pockets and tried to turn and walk away.

“Hey, would you listen to me?” he said, grabbing her arm gently to pull her back. She looked down at his hand curiously, and he quickly moved it away, taking a step back. “I’m trying to say something here.”

She looked at him expectantly, impatiently, and in that moment, he started to panic. Because he had no idea how to say what he wanted to. What he needed to.

Come on, don’t freeze up, he coached himself. He wasn’t going to stand there like an idiot. No way. He had her attention, so he had to do something with it.

“When you left town,” he started in, “I was pissed. And . . . devastated.” He hated how dramatic that sounded, but hell, it was true. “ ‘cause I felt like you were giving up on us.”

He noticed her tense, and subtly, she shook her head.

“That was just . . . how I saw things back then,” he said. “I couldn’t see it any other way. But as time wore on, I started to understand why you did what you did. You had reasons, and as much as I hate to admit it . . .” He gulped, acknowledging a hard truth, one he had never wanted to own up to. “They were probably valid. It’s sort of a bitter pill to swallow, but . . . even though I’d made a lot of improvements by that point, I still had a long way to go. So I still could’ve ended up like my dad.” Just picturing that man, let alone thinking that he could have ended up like him, made Michael’s blood boil. “And I know you didn’t want that for me, and I sure as hell didn’t want it for myself.”

Her face had started to soften. She still looked . . . skeptical, in a way, but he could tell that she was listening to every single word he said, taking it in, absorbing it.

“But I wanted you,” he said, allowing himself to remember just for a second how strong that desire had been, how all-consuming. “So I just didn’t care about the risk.”

She breathed in sharply, and her face softened even more.

“But you left,” he said. “You left so that I could go to college and figure out what I wanna do with my life and make something of myself. And I did.” He wasn’t done by any means; clearly it was still an ongoing process. But it was one that he felt optimistic about, excited. “I’ve done all that, and I have all that, and more,” he said, thinking of Sarah and her unwavering, unconditional support. “I probably have way more than I deserve. And that’s because of you.”

She blinked as tears entered into her eyes.

“You loved me enough to let me go,” he realized. “I didn’t get that before, but I do now. So I guess what I’m trying to say is . . .” He searched his brain for the right sentiment, and it came easily this time. “Thank you.” It felt surprisingly good to get that out. “And I’m sorry for not sayin’ it sooner.”

Her lips parted slightly, and she just stared at him, managing to keep those tears of hers inside. But he could see so much relief on her face, like this was all she’d been wanting to hear for the past two years.

“That’s it,” he said, “so . . .” He flapped his arms against his sides, hoping it was enough. He didn’t want her to be feeling sad about this anymore.

She breathed a loud sigh, but it wasn’t a defeated one this time. “Dylan, Luke, we’re gonna leave now,” she told the boys.

“Do we have to?” Dylan complained, but he obediently put down the football and started sulking towards the track.

Turning back to Michael, Maria whispered a quiet “Thank you,” of her own. He almost felt like he shouldn’t even accept it, because after being a total jackass, he didn’t deserve any gratitude. But maybe—just maybe—he’d made up for it now, by reconsidering his own viewpoint, by admitting that he was wrong.

“Bye, Coach,” Luke once again said on his way to the car. But this time, instead of saying goodbye, Dylan grabbed onto his legs and hugged him. It surprised him. And delighted him. He messed up the little guy’s hair, the way he always used to do, and sent him on his way.

The whole interaction didn’t go unnoticed. Maria saw it. And slowly, hesitantly, it made her smile.

TBC . . .

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 27, 06/18/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

So glad Max helped Liz with her car trouble......
And so cute when Dylan hugged his coach's leg.
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 27, 06/18/16

Post by sarammlover »

WHOA! Michael was completely honest with Sarah!!! Good. And she gave him some really good sound advice. And he took it. Good for him.
Great update. When is Isabel going to get a clue? Ever? EVER? Also, I liked the Liz and Max situation there....I still think there is hope for those two. I don't think Max and Maria are a good couple, BUT I also really really like Michael and Sarah together......I don't want Maria and Michael back together....I know I keep saying that. You have just created an amazing character in Sarah.....
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 28

Post by April »

Okay, if you are a fan of Brendan and Majandra and you haven't checked their Twitters lately . . . you really need to. Just sayin'. ;)

Carolyn: Yes, Dylan's a cutie. And of course Max came to help Liz. He really has been there for her.

Sara:
Also, I liked the Liz and Max situation there....I still think there is hope for those two.
Well, we'll see. They seem to be on very good terms right now, don't they?
I don't think Max and Maria are a good couple, BUT I also really really like Michael and Sarah together......I don't want Maria and Michael back together....I know I keep saying that. You have just created an amazing character in Sarah.....
I know, and that was the goal with Sarah, to be honest.

Thanks for reading!

Part 28

When the sun went down and Leanna still wasn’t home, Alex started to get a bit concerned. He rarely ever made it home before his wife, and whenever he did, she usually called to tell him where she was.

He sat down on the couch with his computer, working on a research paper for one of his own classes, but he couldn’t focus. So he called his wife. It took her quite a few rings to pick up, and when she did, all she said was, “Hey.”

“Hey.” At least he knew she was okay and wasn’t in some ditch somewhere. “Where are you?”

“Oh, a couple girls from Zumba wanted to get some drinks, and they invited me along,” she answered. “So I’m out with them.”

“Oh.” That sounded like it could go a while. “Gonna be a late night?”

“I think so,” she said. “Don’t wait up for me.”

This wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. Now he could focus and get this paper done. Sometimes, her nagging made it hard to be productive. “Alright, well, have fun.”

“Oh, I will,” she said. “Bye.”

“Bye--” The word was barely out of his mouth, and she’d already hung up. Oh, well, he thought, setting his phone aside. As bad as it sounded, he was sort of looking forward to a night by himself and the peace and quiet that would go along with it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess came out of the bathroom slowly, feeling like she would throw up again if she even so much as started to walk too fast. She held one hand to her queasy stomach and accidentally bumped into Kristin, who was standing right outside the door.

“Hey, Tess, are you bulimic?” her fellow coach asked.

Tess stared at her in disbelief. “What?” Who on earth would ask somebody that?

“I’ve heard you throwing up a lot this week. And you’re small, but not like anorexic small. More like the kind of small where you’d be fat if you didn’t throw up so much.”

Tess grunted and shook her head, astonished. “You are such a bitch.” This was pretty classless, even of Kristin. And what the hell was she doing harassing her about this anyway? Wasn’t she supposed to be the head coach? Shouldn’t she be out on the floor with the girls actually coaching instead of having her equally bitchy sidekick yell at them?

“I’m not saying it as a criticism,” Kristen continue on in what was in fact a very critical tone. “Actually, maybe you could give Stephanie some pointers. She needs to lose a few pounds before my wedding.”

Tess felt her stomach lurch, but she quelled the nausea as best she could, because she didn’t want Kristin to get wise to the real reason why she was vomiting. “Do you even hear yourself? You are seriously one of the worst people I’ve ever met in my entire life.”

“Oh, honey . . .” Kristin looked at her as if she were an insignificant insect. “Don’t be jealous.”

“What is there to be jealous of?” Tess shot back.

Kristin grinned smugly. “Well, for starters, how about the fact that my fiancé actually wants to marry me?”

As much as Tess wanted to spew out some snappy comeback . . . that got to her. And Kristin knew it would get to her; that was why she’d said it.

Because she didn’t have anything witty or insulting to say in return, she moved past Kristin, figuring she’d pass it off as being a bigger, better person, and headed back out to the tumbling mat to try to rescue these poor young cheerleaders from Stephanie’s tyranny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Where the hell’s Maria? Michael was getting impatient. He wasn’t about to sit through Music Appreciation if he didn’t have to.

“If you do decide to take Music Appreciation 2,” the professor was saying, “counterculture influence is certainly something we’ll elaborate on in that class.”

Thankfully, right as Michael was about to fall asleep, Maria walked in late. He perked up a bit.

“But to understand the music of any decade,” the professor went on, “you must understand the music that preceded it, grasp its influence. And with that in mind . . .” He clicked on a Youtube video, and Elvis Presley’s drowsy “Love Me Tender” began to play.

Maria inconspicuously sat down beside him. The professor’s eyes were closed as he got lost in the music, the way he often did, so he probably didn’t even notice that she was late.

“I grabbed your test for you,” Michael told her, handing it to her. The front page was just a cover page, so he didn’t know the grade. And even though he’d been tempted to peek at what it was, he hadn’t.

“Oh, I don’t even wanna look,” she groaned, taking it from him. She peeled back the first page, and her entire body just slumped. So apparently it wasn’t so good. “What’d you get?” she asked.

Oh, you don’t wanna know, he thought, showing her the ninety-eight percent on his own test.

“Oh my god,” she muttered. “Seriously?”

He smirked, snickering quietly.

“I can’t even look at you right now,” she grumbled. “I wanna rip your face off and throw it in the river.”

“Whoa.” That was quite the colorful insult. “Graphic.”

She rolled her eyes, but the slightest beginnings of a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

The song droned on, and Maria eventually forgot about her test, sat back in her chair, and relaxed a bit. Unlike him, she actually seemed to appreciate this song.

“Ugh, the fifties,” he complained.

“What’s wrong with the fifties?” she challenged.

“It’s all poodle skirts and chastity. No thanks.” At least during the sixties, shit got interesting.

“My grandpa always used to say it was a simpler time,” she recollected.

“Simple’s boring.” If she hadn’t shown up, this song would have put him to sleep.

Mercifully, the class actually ended ten minutes early that day, which meant that Michael had an additional ten minutes to un-hear everything he’d just been forced to listen to. He’d never understood why people called Elvis the king. Kurt Cobain . . . now that was the king right there.

Even though they didn’t have any test to study for today, he and Maria didn’t part ways when they left the class. He wasn’t sure whether he was walking with her or she was walking with him, or maybe if they were just walking with each other. But he had no real destination in mind.

“So are we good then?” he bravely asked her. They could talk about music and the fifties and shit until the cows came home, and then they could talk about the cows; but none of that mattered to him. Making sure that he hadn’t irreparably damaged their fragile friendship did.

Much to his relief, she replied, “Yeah. I really appreciate everything you said yesterday, too. It made me feel a lot better.”

“Well . . .” He didn’t want to be a sap or anything, but he wanted her to know he’d been telling the truth. “I meant every word.”

“I know you did,” she said, her eyes drifting away from the sidewalks and over to the grass. “Who is that?”

He looked over his shoulder and saw Fly coming in his direction, Frisbee in hand. “Oh, that’s my friend Fly,” he told her.

Fly?” she echoed curiously.

“Yeah, we play Frisbee a lot. He gets really into it; he’s like a dog.”

“In more ways than one,” she said. “He’s giving me the eye.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll protect you,” he promised humorously. “No, he’s harmless. Come on.”

Of course, though, she was reluctant. “I don’t know . . .”

“Come on, it’s fun.” He headed out onto the grass and gave Fly a Pistol Pete greeting by mimicking guns with both hands. Fly did the same to him.

“Yo, chico, who’s this?” he eagerly asked, eyeballing Maria. “She looks way better than you.”

“Yeah, no shit. Fly, this is Maria,” Michael introduced. “Maria, Fly.”

“Hi,” Maria said.

“How you doin’, sweetheart?” He held out his hand.

“Oh.” She reluctantly shook it. “I’m good. How about you?”

“Better now.” He grinned, but thankfully, he didn’t push the flirting with her—maybe he sensed that she was off-limits—and returned his attention to Michael instead. “We playin’, man?”

“Sure.” Michael set his backpack down and took the Frisbee from him. Fly immediately trotted off in the direction he had come.

“I almost didn’t wanna shake his hand,” Maria admitted. “I don’t know where it’s been.”

“His crotch, mostly,” Michael replied.

She gave him a horrified look.

He chuckled. “Relax, he’s a good guy. He’s just kinda . . . horny.”

“Like all guys.”

“He’s, like, what I would be if I didn’t get laid so much.”

“Oh, okay, that’s . . . interesting.” She brushed her hair out of her eyes, looking a bit frazzled suddenly as she declared, “I should go.”

“No, stay,” he said. “Chill out for a while.” This was what college kids were supposed to do: waste time doing meaningless activities. He didn’t do nearly enough time-wasting himself.

“I can’t chill out. I have . . . stuff to do today,” she said, but her voice was quiet, unconvincing, and she wasn’t walking away.

“Hey, Fly!” Michael yelled once his friend had put sufficient distance between them. “Try to catch this for once!”

“Throw it straight, mothafucka!” Fly shot back.

Michael launched it, straight, perfect path, catchable for anyone who had any amount of coordination at all in their body. But Fly, of course, could be counted upon to trip over his own feet as he was backing up for it and fall instead. “Damn!” he shouted, slamming his fist against the ground. He picked himself back up, though, and went to retrieve it.

“How’d you come across this guy?” Maria asked, reluctantly setting her purse down next to his backpack.

“Ah, he and Monk and Steve were in my freshman year history class,” he said. “We all bonded over our shared love of Braveheart.”

“Are they nicer than the guys you hung out with in high school?” she asked.

“Everyone’s nicer than the guys I hung out with in high school.”

“True.”

“Hey, Fly!” he called. “Throw it to Maria.”

“No, I can’t catch,” she said.

“That’s okay, he can’t throw.” As if to prove his point, Fly tried to toss it back, but it landed almost ten feet short of Maria, and she didn’t reach for it. “See?”

“Now I have to throw it back?”

He nodded.

“This isn’t gonna be pretty,” she said, walking forward to retrieve it. When she bent down, her shirt inched up in the back, and her jeans moved down a bit, and he couldn’t help but notice . . .

MG. Right where he remembered it.

She let out a little grunt as she tried to throw it back to Fly. It actually wasn’t that bad of throw, and Fly came close to catching it, but it just didn’t get enough air. “I suck,” she said as she walked back to him.

He wanted to say something—something about Fly or Frisbee—something that didn’t really matter. But if that was all he could talk about, then he felt speechless.

“You still have your tattoo,” he noted quietly, trying not to sound as surprised as he really was.

Immediately, she reached behind her back and pulled her shirt down. “Yeah,” she said, attempting a casual, nonchalant smile. But it didn’t really fully form, and she ended up seeming more alarmed than anything that he’d seen it. She averted her eyes.

He looked away, too, trying to concentrate on . . . what the hell was he supposed to be doing? Frisbee? Chilling out? It kind of seemed pointless now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Saturday rolled around, it was game day, time for the Pound Elementary Bulldogs to face off in an away game against the Cardinals of Artesia. There were only four teams in this county-wide youth football program, and each played each other once before facing off next week in the championship game. The Bulldogs were still looking for their first win, while the Cardinals hadn’t yet suffered a loss.

“This isn’t gonna be pretty,” Michael predicted as he watched the kids warm-up on the field. Most of them were taking it pretty seriously, but a few were screwing around. All it took was for Michael to give them one stern look, and then they started stretching.

Beside him, Kyle was more optimistic. “I don’t know, they might surprise you,” he said. “Luke’s pretty good; he’s got a strong arm for a little kid. And Dylan . . . well, he had a good coach at a young age.”

Michael watched as the two of them switched from stretching to jumping jacks, and then the other boys switched, too. Dylan and Luke were definitely the leaders of the team. “Yeah,” he said, “But the rest of ‘em can’t do shit.”

“Hey, you and I almost made it to state with a team that couldn’t do shit,” Kyle pointed out.

“True.” Had it not been for Kyle and him, the Comets probably wouldn’t have won any games that year.

“Besides, they’re in elementary school,” Kyle reminded him. “All that matters is that they have fun.”

“Wow, you definitely don’t sound like your dad right now.”

“Yeah.” Kyle sighed heavily, a reminiscent look coming over his face for a moment. “I remember when he used to put so much pressure on me. Do you remember that? Even back when we were kids.”

“Yeah, but you still loved the game,” Michael said.

“I loved it because I was good at it, and because I got to play it with my best friend.”

“Aww, Kyle . . .” Michael bent down and gave Kyle a hug. “I love you, too, man,” he said in an exaggeratedly feminine voice.

“Oh, okay,” Kyle said, just sitting there instead of hugging him back. “This is weird.”

“Feels good in here,” Michael joked.

“You’re freakin’ me out.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As she and Tess climbed up the bleachers, Sarah eyed Michael and Kyle curiously. “What are they doing?” They were locked into some bromance embrace or something.

“Who knows?” Tess said, paying no attention. “I always said if Michael and Kyle were gonna go gay, it’d be with each other.”

Sarah laughed a little, taking a seat on the top row of bleachers. She scooted over enough to make room for Tess and looked out on the field at all the little boys. They weren’t all suited up yet, but they had on the green team t-shirts Kyle had designed. On the sidelines, Michael and Kyle had finally stopped groping each other now, and they were back in coach mode, eyes on their young players, watching intently while they warmed up.

“So is this what it was like back in high school?” Sarah asked. “Feeling all proud while they were on the field?”

“No, that was better,” Tess said, “because Kyle wasn’t in a wheelchair, I was a cheerleader, and I wasn’t pregnant.”

“Hmm.” Sarah glanced down at her best friend’s stomach, noting the jacket. It was warm out for November, so the jacket was probably something Tess had self-consciously worn to cover up a bump that wasn’t even quite noticeable yet. “So are you gonna tell him about that today?” she questioned.

“Depends on how this game goes,” Tess responded quickly. She, too, looked out on the field, and her eyes widened suddenly. “Oh my god. Is that . . . Dylan?”

Sarah followed her gaze. “Yep.” The adorable little blonde boy appeared to be one of the kids in charge. “He’s really cute.”

“He’s really Maria’s son,” Tess pointed out.

“Yeah, I know.” That wasn’t a big deal to her.

Tess laughed lightly and shook her head. “Oh, and you continue to handle all of this way better than I would.”

“Michael loves coaching him,” Sarah said.

“Well, why wouldn’t he? This is the kid who used to call him Daddy.

“He doesn’t anymore,” Sarah said, not taking any of Tess’s snappiness to heart. Hormones.

“You sure?” Tess questioned.

“Yeah. Michael told me he just calls him by his name now. And I think he calls Max Dad.”

“Speak of the devil . . .” Tess’s eyes drifted down to the bottom of the bleachers. “That’s Max.”

Sarah looked in the same direction, and indeed, there were both Max and Maria, each of them with a soda bottle from the concession stand in their hands. “I know,” she said.

“Oh, that’s right, you met him on Halloween,” Tess recalled.

“And he and Maria came over for dinner,” Sarah added.

“What?” Tess shrieked. “Where was I was then that happened?”

“Probably finding out you were pregnant.” Sarah shrugged, understanding why Tess had been preoccupied lately.

“So you invited them over for dinner, huh?”

“Yep. Max!” she called, waving her hand high in the air to get their attention. “Maria!”

“And now you’re inviting them to sit with us,” Tess mumbled.

As they waved back, Sarah motioned them to come on up. The more the merrier. They could start a whole Bulldogs cheering section.

“Oh my god, Sarah, do you see who’s with them?” Tess gasped, pointing out a petite brunette woman with a child in her arms.

“Who’s that?” she asked.

“Liz Parker. She’s the first girl Michael had an affair with. He wasn’t in love with her, though.”

As much as Sarah wasn’t particularly thrilled with the less-than-faithful aspects of Michael’s past, she wasn’t going to hold it against him. Or this girl, for that matter. They were probably all very different people now. “Is there anyone in this state he hasn’t slept with?” she pondered as Max, Maria, and Liz all headed up the bleacher steps.

“Me,” Tess said proudly. “Although he did hit on me when we first met. But I totally ignored him and went straight to Kyle.”

Sarah smiled. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m glad.”

“Yeah, it’d be hard for us to be best friends if Michael and I had ever hooked up,” Tess agreed.

“Well, I don’t know. Maria and I seem to be doing fine.” Sarah smiled widely when they others made it to the top. “Hey!” she exclaimed.

“Hey,” Maria returned, smiling a little. That smile started to look nervous, though, when she said, “Hey, Tess.”

Tess didn’t say anything, so Sarah subtly nudged her with her knee, eliciting a reluctant, “Hi.”

“Hey, Sarah. How are you?” Max greeted.

“I’m good,” she replied. “How about you guys?”

Max stuck his hands in his pockets and inhaled shakily. “Nervous for Dylan. He really wants to win today, and I think he’s gonna be pretty upset if they don’t.”

“Oh, they’re gonna win,” Sarah declared confidently. With Michael and Kyle, they had the best, most knowledgeable coaches they could ever ask for. “Here, sit with us,” she said, gesturing to the open bleachers below them.

“Alright, sure,” Max said, giving Maria a gentle push to urge her inward. Maria scooted the farthest over, and Max sat in front of Sarah. The dark-haired girl took a seat in front of Tess, holding her . . . child? . . . on her lap.

“Oh, Sarah, this is Liz,” Max introduced, “and my daughter Scarlet.”

“The famous Scarlet,” Sarah said, recalling how Max had raved about her at dinner. For the first time, she got a closer look at the little girl. Dark, curly hair, chocolate-brown eyes, long lashes . . . she was a stunner, even at this young age. “She’s beautiful. Hi, Liz. I’m Sarah.”

“Michael’s girlfriend, right?” Liz said.

“Right.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“You, too.” Sarah smiled at the cute little girl, who seemed to be struggling to keep her eyes open. When she looked at Tess again, though, Tess was giving her a weird look. “What?” she asked.

For a moment, Tess didn’t say anything, but then she shook her head and warned quietly, “You’re way too nice for your own good.”

Sarah smiled and rolled her eyes. It wasn’t the first time she’d been told that. But since being nice had always worked out for her in the past, she wasn’t going to change a thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess looks different, Maria thought. Her hair wasn’t as shiny, and her makeup wasn’t as flawless. She still looked pretty, though, just . . . wearier? It was pointless to ask her what she’d been up to these past few years, because with Kyle in a wheelchair, it was pretty obvious. Besides, Maria got the sense Tess had reverted to not being her biggest fan, so conversation was probably out the question.

Max talked to Liz a lot, and Sarah and Tess jabbered with each other. That left Maria feeling like she was kind of on her own there, and quite honestly, that was fine. She wouldn’t mind just being able to sit and focus on the game her son was about to play in.

She scanned the field for Dylan as the boys started to scatter from their warm-ups, and she found him bouncing jubilantly towards Michael. Even from this far up in the bleachers, she could hear him ask, “Did I do good?” and then watched him beam with pride when Michael assured him that he had. What followed that exchange was some sort of secret handshake she’d never been privy to, but one she recognized from back in the day. The whole handshake ended with them both putting their arms in the air and exclaiming, “Whoa!” and that made Dylan laugh.

Maria turned her head to look at Max, wondering if he’d just watched the same thing she had. But he was talking baby-talk to Scarlet, trying to get her to stay awake as Liz bounced her up and down a bit.

Maria didn’t say anything to disrupt them, deciding that maybe it was a good thing Max hadn’t seen what she just had.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The boys circled up, each of them barely able to stand upright with the weight of his uniform, pads, and helmet. “Bulldogs on three,” Michael told them, and they all put their hands in the circle. “One, two, three!”

“Bulldogs!” they yelled, and then they trotted out onto the field.

“Here we go,” Michael said. “Fire it up! Good start now.”

It wasn’t a good start.

By rule, there was no kickoff, so each team always started on the fifty yard-line. They still had four potential downs to advance ten yards, and all the other regular rules applied, except that tackling was to be ‘within reason’ and ‘kept to a minimum.’ But Michael’s team couldn’t tackle. They couldn’t block. They couldn’t run. They couldn’t do much of anything, actually. They never made any progress on offense, and on defense, they let the Cardinals score on their first possession. Great.

Trying to keep the team’s spirits up, Michael did a lot of clapping his hands on the sidelines for plays that didn’t really deserve applause, and offered up a lot of encouragement. “Alright, good try,” he found himself saying a lot. “Keep workin’.”

The only good news was that the Cardinals quarterback started to get sick around halftime, so he had to leave the field. Wasn’t good news for that kid or his parents, of course, but it was good news for the Bulldogs. Neither team could score after that, so the score remained 6-0.

At halftime, which was only five minutes, he tried to rally the troops. “Okay, guys, I’m seein’ some good things, and I’m seein’ some not so good things,” he said. “You guys gotta remember those plays we drilled. You can’t just be runnin’ all over the field.”

Most of them continued to run all over the field. During the third quarter, Michael could tell that it was starting to frustrate Dylan and Luke and some of the other kids who were actually there to play.

Fourth quarter rolled around, and time kept ticking down. The urgency of the situation started to set in when they got back on offense with only three minutes left. There were timeouts in youth football, but other than that, the clock kept running. If they didn’t score something on this possession, they were leaving Artesia with a big goose egg.

“We gotta do somethin’ about this,” Kyle said. “Luke!” He motioned his young protégée over to the sideline, and Michael gave the refs a signal for a timeout.

“Yeah, Coach?” Luke said, sounding out of breath. The poor kid had really been trying.

“I want you to take that ball and run it,” Kyle told him. “Tuck it in, and just sprint downfield, and get it in that end zone. You can do it.”

Luke kicked at the turf with his sneakers—they weren’t allowed to wear cleats at this age. “I’m scared,” he mumbled.

“What’re you scared of?” Kyle asked.

“Gettin’ hit.”

“So you get hit,” Kyle said. “Then you know what happens? You get back up again. Do you know how many times I got hit when I ran the ball?”

Luke shook his head.

“Lots, man. And I’m still fine.”

“You’re in a wheelchair,” Luke pointed out.

Kyle looked dumbfounded for a second, almost as if . . . he’d forgotten about that. “Yeah,” he said, “but I was never as good as you.”

Slowly, Luke smiled.

“Run the ball,” Kyle told him again. “You got this.”

Luke nodded affirmatively, then darted back out onto the field.

“That was good,” Michael told his friend.

Kyle shrugged. “Just coaching.”

That wasn’t why it was good, though. He couldn’t tell Kyle that he’d just motivated that kid like a dad would. Couldn’t arouse any suspicions.

When the timeout ended, the boys got lined up again. “Set!” Luke yelled. “Hike!” Charlie snapped the ball back to him, and just as Kyle had told him to do, he took off. Past defenders. Past the other team’s forty yard-line. Past the thirty. Suddenly, there was only open field ahead of him.

“Go, go!” Michael shouted right as the miniscule crowd started to come alive and cheer him on, too.

Arms pumping at his sides, legs working as fast as they could, Luke ran that ball into the end zone, and the ref on the sideline immediately raised both arms up to signal a touchdown.

“Yeah!” Michael exclaimed, jumping up and down and doing a celebratory first-pump. “Good job, Luke!” He looked beside him, and much to his surprise, Kyle had gotten to his feet, too. And even after the excitement died down, he didn’t take a seat again.

With time still left on the clock, it came down to the defense having to hold up. And miraculously, they did. When the clock hit zero, the score was tied, six to six.

“What do we do now?” Kyle asked eagerly. “Do they do overtime?”

Michael wasn’t sure, so he jogged over to the refs to ask them what was up. Overtime, they confirmed. Just like in college football, each team would get the ball and have a chance to score more points. They would start at the twenty yard line this time to make it easier. If the score was still tied after three overtime periods, then the game would come to an end.

They did a coin toss, which the Bulldogs won, and Michael told the refs they wanted the other team to have the ball first. After he made the decision, he immediately regretted it, because the Cardinals had a nice run of their own, and they scored right away. Another touchdown, right in the first overtime period. Now Michael’s team had to do the same.

He could see the defeated looks on their faces, so he made sure to assure them, “It’s not over. It’s not over,” as they trudged back to the sideline. “You guys need to amp it up. You’re still in this. They scored, so now you gotta score again. But you’re gonna be really close to the goal, so you can do it.”

Kyle lined up the plays for them and sent them back out on the field. The first play was another run by Luke, but he only made it a few yards this time. The next was an attempted pass to Dylan, but Luke was sacked before he could even throw it and lost a few yards. There was a brief delay in the game as the refs debated whether or not the hit had been too hard for pee-wee football, but eventually they decided that it wasn’t and let the game continue.

Third down. Michael squatted, his elbows on his legs, his hands clasped in prayer position over his mouth. Come on, guys, he thought. They needed this win. They needed something to boost their confidence after such a lackluster season.

“Set!” Luke yelled. “Hike!” He ran it again, and this time, he got decent yardage. They stopped him just short of the first down marker, though, so it was now fourth down.

“Crap,” Michael swore. If they didn’t convert this time, it was all over. “Okay, timeout!”

The ref blew his whistle, and both teams trotted off to their respective sidelines.

“Did we lose yet?” Charlie asked morosely.

“No!” That kid’s downer attitude wasn’t going to help things. “You guys are gonna win, alright? You just gotta get a first down here.”

“I say we go for broke,” Kyle said, still standing. “They won’t expect it. They think Luke’s gonna run again, but we’re not gonna do that. We’re gonna throw it down to Dylan right in the end zone, get our touchdown, keep this game goin’. How’s that sound?”

“Whatever,” Charlie muttered at the same time Dylan and Luke exclaimed, “Yeah!”

“Bulldogs on three,” Michael said again as they all put their hands in the middle. “One, two, three!”

“Bulldogs!”

Michael didn’t realize how hard his heart was pounding until the kids took the field again. Maybe it was stupid to get so invested in a game that didn’t really matter, but then again . . . maybe it did matter. He used to play in these types of games all the time, and even though he’d never been as talented as Kyle, he’d always been good. Football had given him a confidence from a very young age that otherwise he might have lacked. He wanted these boys to have that same confidence, that same belief that they could actually do something well.

“Come on now,” he said, saying a silent prayer to himself. He looked at Dylan, gauging the determination on his face. He reminded him so much of himself, it was eerie.

“Set!” Luke called. “Hike!”

A perfect snap. An offensive line that was actually holding up. Luke had time to sit back in the pocket and line up his throw, and he wisely wasn’t rushing it. Dylan, meanwhile, sped past defenders, catching them off guard as he went straight for the end zone.

We’ve got this, Michael thought. We’ve got this.

The ball sailed out of Luke’s hands, and it was a beautiful throw, especially for a six year-old. It was better than some junior high quarterbacks could throw. They couldn’t have asked for a more perfect pass. And Dylan was wide open. Michael held his breath as he jumped up into the air to catch it.

And it went right through his hands.

A huge, disappointed moan came from the parents and other Bulldogs fans in the stands, and Michael and Kyle even each let out one of their own. The Artesia boys started jumping up and down and ran to their coaches on the sidelines, immediately starting a chant of “We’re number one! We’re number one!”

Dammit, Michael thought. So close.

“That’s alright, guys,” Kyle said as their players sulked off the field. “That happens sometimes.”

“Happens to us all the time,” Charlie muttered.

“Good try,” Michael joined in, looking back out at Dylan. He was just sitting there in the end zone, looking unbelievably disappointed with himself. He thought about going out there to check on him, but soon enough, Dylan got to his feet, took off his helmet, and lumbered towards the sideline.

Poor kid, Michael thought sympathetically. Dropping the game-winning pass, a pass you’d normally be able to catch? Yeah, he could relate to that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael wasn’t sure how it happened, but somehow, after the game, he, Sarah, Tess, and Kyle ended up going out to eat with Maria and Dylan. And Liz, who Michael hadn’t seen or thought about in years, and her daughter, who, like Dylan, was way too adorable to have any genetic link to Max. Thankfully, Max couldn’t join them, though, so that made the whole thing marginally more bearable.

They all agreed on a pizza place Michael had never heard of but Liz insisted was wonderful. Home-cooked pizza or something like that. Whatever. They ended up sitting on an outdoor patio in a big booth. Michael was furthest inside on one side with Sarah next to him and Tess next to her. On the other side, Maria sat furthest inward, with Dylan sandwiched between her and Liz. Liz’s daughter was in a highchair next to her, and Kyle sat in his wheelchair at the end of the table. Idle conversation dominated while they waited for their food. Sarah talked a lot to Liz, apparently fascinated by the fact that she had her own bakery and that there was finally someone else to discuss cooking with.

Michael opted to just stay quiet for the most part, and halfway listen. Even though it was better without Max here, it was still pretty fucking awkward considering he’d slept with three out of the four women at the table. If only he’d been sitting by Kyle. Then they could talk about guy stuff while the girls blabbered.

Dylan, too, was quiet. His menu had come with a picture of a monster to color and mazes and word searches on the back, so he was occupied with that. He colored well, in the lines for the most part. Not surprising since he used to draw pictures all the time.

“Hey, Mom?” he asked Maria quietly.

“What?” she said.

He set his orange crayon down and asked, “Where’s Dad?”

Michael tensed. Dad.

“He had to go to work,” Maria told him, “but he’ll be home tonight.”

Dylan nodded mutely and picked up a blue crayon to color the monster’s head.

Maria cast Michael a quick look, but he didn’t maintain eye contact for long. He looked out over the patio and pretended to people watch. Anything to look distracted.

“It’s a lot more work than I thought it would be,” Liz was saying. “And growing up, I never thought I would enter the food industry.”

“What did you wanna be?” Sarah asked.

“A scientist.” Liz laughed as though that were a ridiculous notion now. “It’s okay, though. I love what I do.”

“Mmm.” Sarah took a drink of her lemon water and declared, “If I wasn’t gonna be a pharmacist, I’d be a chef.”

“And a damn good one,” Tess added. “Seriously, her food’s amazing.”

“It is really good,” Kyle agreed.

Shit, all this talk of food’s making me hungry, Michael thought as his stomach growled.

They continued talking, and Michael felt a kick beneath the table. He gave Maria a questioning look, and she mouthed, ‘Talk to him,’ motioning with her head towards Dylan.

He nodded, understanding what she was asking of him. Dylan, who was normally talkative, was quiet and down in the dumps, upset about the loss. It was his job to help him feel better, his responsibility as a coach and a . . . whatever else he was to Dylan nowadays.

“Hey, Dylan,” he said, “I see they got a claw machine over there. You wanna go try it out?”

Dylan looked back over his shoulder at the machine and eagerly replied, “Yeah.” He started to try to climb over Liz, but Maria grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

“Be polite,” she said.

“Sorry.” He started climbing again, but this time he said, “Excuse me.”

“You’re fine,” Liz said, scooting Scarlet’s high chair out of the way so he could get out easier.

Sarah smiled at Michael, apparently sensing what he was doing, and he gave her a quick kiss. She and Tess both had to get up for him to get out, but they sat down and resumed their conversation easily as he and Dylan headed towards the other side of the patio.

Dylan immediately grabbed the joystick and tried to move the claw, but it was motionless. “It needs money,” he deduced, pointing to the coin slot.

“I got money,” Michael said, reaching into his pockets. He pulled out two quarters and handed them to Dylan. “Go for it.”

Dylan dropped the quarters into the slot, and the claw machine came to life. Though he was barely tall enough to see what he was doing, he used the joystick to maneuver the claw towards the center of the case. It dropped down and landed on a stuffed panda bear, looking for a second as if it were going to pick it up. But when it closed, it slipped right through, and Dylan came back up with nothing.

“Ah, so close,” Michael said, digging around for a few more coins. “Here, try again.” He handed over another fifty cents, and Dylan deposited that as well. Once again, he moved the claw, but this time he moved it farther over to the right. It descended and closed over an alien this time, just like the little ones from Toy Story. Dylan’s eyes lit up excitedly as the claw swung over to the other side of the case, but the alien slipped out at last minute. The claw opened to release its contents, but there was no prize there.

“I suck,” Dylan muttered.

“No, these things are just really tricky,” Michael said.

“You try,” Dylan told him.

“I don’t think I have any more quarters,” he said, checking his back pockets, too. “Nope, nothing.” He actually had two more in his front right pocket, but he was saving them until after they talked.

Dylan got that bummed out look on his face again, and his whole body slumped.

“Is everything okay?” Michael asked him. “You don’t really seem like your usual self.”

Dylan shrugged.

“Are you upset about something?” Michael asked. He’d taken enough classes and learned enough about kids to know that it was better to get them talking on their own.

“Just the game,” Dylan muttered.

“The game, huh?” Michael fiddled around with the joystick, even though the claw machine wasn’t going anymore. “You know, you played well.”

“But we lost,” Dylan lamented. “It’s my fault.”

“It’s not your fault,” Michael told him. “I know it may feel like your fault, but it’s not. You’re not the only guy on the team.”

“But I dropped it,” he mumbled, pouting.

“Yeah, so? I’ve dropped it before.”

“You have?” Dylan sounded surprised.

“Yeah. You remember goin’ to any Comets football games?”

Dylan scrunched up his face and his lips, thinking about it for a moment. Then he shook his head.

“Yeah, you were pretty young.” He’d never forget watching Dylan cry after he’d dropped that pass, though. It was such a let-down. “Well, there was this one game called the quarterfinals game. If we won that, then we would’ve moved onto the semi-finals, and then the state finals.”

“What’s that?” Dylan asked.

“It’s, like, the game you play in when you’re the best in the state.”

His eyes widened in awe. “Whoa.”

“Yeah, whoa is right,” Michael agreed. “We were a really good team, and everyone thought we were gonna get there. But we didn’t.”

“Why not?” Dylan asked.

“Well, ‘cause we were in the same kind of situation you guys were in today. We had to score, or else it was over.” He let the scene replay in his mind, even though he usually tried to block it out. “So Kyle’s got the ball, and he drops back like Luke did today, and he passes it to me. And you know, I usually caught it. I mean, I caught it almost every single time. But I didn’t catch it that night. It just went right outta my hands.”

Dylan looked down at the floor, as if he were ashamed. “That’s what happened to me today.”

“It happens to everyone,” Michael assured him. “But I remember I was so sad and so mad at myself. Do you kinda feel that same way?”

Dylan nodded sheepishly.

“Yeah? See, I get that. And it’s okay to feel that way. But it’s just a game, you know what I mean? It’s not the end of the world.”

“I guess,” Dylan said.

“You know what? You’ve got another game next week, and I bet if Luke passes to you again, you’ll catch it next time. ‘cause you’ll be really determined.”

Dylan smiled a bit. “Yeah.”

“Trust me, you’re a good player. I always knew you were a good player, even when we were just playin’ around in the backyard. Do you remember that?”

That smile expanded. “Yeah.”

“That was so fun, remember? And you didn’t care if you dropped the ball back then. So don’t get so upset about it now.”

Dylan thought about it for a moment, the nodded. “Okay.”

“Alright, good, that’s what I like to hear.” Michael reached into his front pocket again and pulled out the last two quarters. “What the . . . where’d these come from?”

Dylan’s face lit up with excitement.

“You wanna try again?” Michael asked.

“Yeah!” Dylan exclaimed. “You do it.”

“Okay.” He dropped the two quarters in and prayed this claw came up with something, because that would help Dylan feel even better.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Maria didn’t know what anyone at the table was talking about, though she admired Liz’s ability to be so friendly and so engrained right away. Liz was doing a lot of talking, and Sarah was doing a lot of talking, and Tess was eating a lot of breadsticks and cooing at Scarlet.

Maria heard her son shout, “Yay!” excitedly, and when she looked over her shoulder, Michael was getting something out of the claw machine for him. An alien from Toy Story that he would undoubtedly love. He handed it over to him, and Dylan thanked him and reached up to give him a hug. Michael squatted down and hugged him in return.

Maria smiled, glad that Michael had managed to lift her son’s spirits. She knew he would. After all, they’d always had a special bond.

TBC . . .

-April
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 28, 06/25/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Loved Max's interaction with Scarlett.
It appears Sarah and Liz have something in common.....
Great part,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 28, 06/25/16

Post by sarammlover »

Oh max and all of his conquests at one table...minus isabel of course. HA! And I think Sarah is a wonderful person. I hope the Bulldogs get a win. It is cute to see Kyle with this kids. Good for his psyche!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 29

Post by April »

Carolyn:
Loved Max's interaction with Scarlett.
He's a good father to her, so it's nice for me to write those scenes.
It appears Sarah and Liz have something in common.....
Sarah and Liz are probably going to find it quite easy to get along. They have a lot of things in common and are both pretty easygoing women.

Sara:
Oh max and all of his conquests at one table...minus isabel of course. HA!
You mean Michael, right? ;)
It is cute to see Kyle with this kids. Good for his psyche!
Yes, this has been very good for him!

Thanks for reading!

Part 29

Michael lightly traced his hands up Sarah’s spine, loving how that made her shiver, even though her skin was hot. “Ooh,” she said. “That was so fun.”

Beside her, he lay as naked as she was, both of them covered on by the sheet. “It was,” he agreed. “You couldn’t keep your hands off me.”

She snuggled in closer to his side, pressing a kiss to his chest. “I couldn’t help it,” she said. “You were so sexy today. It really turned me on.”

“I’m always sexy,” he declared.

“Yeah, but today was, like, extra sexy,” she emphasized. “You were so in your element.”

But my element is sex, he wanted to say, until he realized what other element she was referring to. “Oh, you mean coaching?”

“Yeah. And just working with kids in general,” she confirmed. “You’re so good with all those boys on the team.”

“But we lost the game,” he pointed out.

“You’re still good with them,” she insisted. “And then when you helped Dylan get over how bad he was feeling . . .” She smiled proudly. “You were counseling him.”

“Well, I am a counselor,” he said. “Or at least I’m gonna be.”

“You already are,” she said, draping one of her legs over his. “Mmm.” She nuzzled his chest, and he started to wonder if maybe she had another round in her tonight. He sure as hell did, so the fun times didn’t have to stop until 3:00 a.m.

“Did you have a good time today?” he asked, massaging her back with the arm that was wrapped around her.

“Yeah,” she said. “Liz and I got along really well.”

“Hmm.” He smiled tightly. “You’re just buddying up to all my ex-girlfriends, aren’t you?”

“Wait, Tess told me Liz wasn’t an ex-girlfriend.”

“Not technically.”

“I know exactly who she is, and exactly what you did with her,” Sarah said. “And even though I don’t condone it, I’m not gonna hold it against either of you. You’re both very different people now. You all are.”

Except Max, he wanted to say. But he refrained.

“I think Liz likes me better than Maria does, though,” Sarah went on quietly. “She talked to me more.”

“Maria likes you,” he assured her. “Everybody likes you. You’re like a little golden retriever puppy.”

Her mouth opened, and she gasped, feigning offense. “Are you comparing me to a dog?”

“Most popular dogs in the world.”

She laughed. “No, I don’t mean to say Maria and I aren’t getting along. We are. But Liz just didn’t seem quite so closed off.”

“Well . . . that’s just how Liz is,” he told her. “She’s really easy to get to know.” It certainly hadn’t taken long for him to get to know her, though it had taken a little longer for him to really get to know her. Physically speaking.

“Yeah, Maria’s a little more . . . guarded,” Sarah remarked.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “She’s just . . .” Maria was the opposite of Liz. She wasn’t easy to get to know. She had walls up, and she didn’t reveal a whole lot of information about herself until she was sure she could trust you. “She’s never really had a whole lot of friends,” he explained. “Because of her . . . circumstances, you know.”

“Right.”

“And when we were together, I remember her even telling me once that I was her only friend.”

“Aw.” Sarah frowned sadly. “That sounds lonely.”

“I’m sure she is sometimes.” He wanted to assure his girlfriend that it wasn’t anything to do with her, though, that Maria didn’t have some grudge, so he said, “She’s just more reluctant to get to know people, because she’s always felt like people don’t really wanna get to know her.”

“Well, I do,” Sarah said.

“I know you do. You’ve been pretty clear about that.”

“Then I’m gonna make her feel included,” Sarah decided, lazily tracing designs on his chest. “She should know she has friends in this town.”

He reached up and stroked her hair, baffled and amazed by her compassion. His girlfriend was really one of a kind. There weren’t many girls who invite Maria back into their lives. But at this point . . . he was fine with it. In a way, it would always be weird, but he’d be alright with it. Because whether it was him or Sarah or someone else entirely, it made him feel good to know that Max wasn’t Maria’s only friend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Insomnia. Great.

Maria lay on her side that night, staring at Max’s back. He was snoring lightly, so that meant he was fast asleep. And why wouldn’t he be? He’d had a long afternoon at work. Construction wasn’t easy.

She wanted to move in closer to him, maybe spoon up behind him, because she was cold, and it felt like there was a lot of space in between them. Truth was, he’d been pretty distant for a few days, ever since she’d lied to him about going to see Tina. It wasn’t exactly an icy cold shoulder he was giving her, but he just wasn’t talking to her as much, and he wasn’t being very affectionate.

I probably deserve it, she reminded herself, curling up tightly underneath the blankets. Her toes were freezing, but they probably wouldn’t have been if she was lying closer to Max. He was a warm sleeper.

Maybe I’ll just go out and watch some TV, she pondered. Or go check on Dylan. He’d gotten into this bad habit lately of reading comic books instead of going to bed. He snuck a flashlight in his room and everything.

In a way, it was nothing new, though. Getting Dylan to bed had never been easy.

“Goodnight, sweetie,” Maria cooed, bending down to press a kiss to her son’s head. As she was leaving the room, though, he squeaked out, “Mom?” and stopped her.

“What is it?” she asked, turning back around.

He sat up slightly, picking at the loose threads in his bedspread. She was about to tell him to just go to sleep when he asked a question that nearly bowled her over.

“Is Max my dad?”

Even though she probably should have been prepared to answer that . . . she wasn’t. Max had been spending a lot of time with them lately, and he and Dylan were really hitting it off well. But still, she hadn’t expected her little boy to be so perceptive.

“Yes,” she answered, deciding that her only choice was to tell him the truth. “He is.”

Dylan didn’t say anything for a few seconds, and she could see the wheels of his mind spinning, trying to make sense of everything.

“You can start calling him Dad,” she told him, “or you can just keep calling him Max. Either one’s fine.” She walked back over to his bed, sitting down on the side of it, stroking his hair. “Honey, are you okay?” she asked. This was a lot for young boy to take in.

He looked a little confused, but okay. But for some reason, he didn’t
sound okay when he asked, “Is Micho still my dad?”

Her breath caught in her chest, and for a second, everything hurt. Worse than that, even. It ached.
She ached.

Dylan didn’t talk about Michael as much anymore, but whenever he did, he sounded like he missed him. And why wouldn’t he? She’d never managed to give him a good explanation as to why he’d been in their lives one day, and hadn’t been the next.

“No,” she finally answered, deciding to tell the truth again. “No, he’s not.”

Dylan’s face contorted into a frown, and she actually saw tears spring to his eyes. But instead of talking to her about it anymore, he flopped back down onto his side, facing away from her, pulling his covers nearly all the way up over his head.

She pulled them back down a bit, but she didn’t say anything else. They’d talk about it more tomorrow morning. Maybe he’d feel better about things by then.

Maria looked at Max again, watching the steady rise and fall of his whole sleeping frame as he breathed in and out. Enviously, she shut her eyes, too, but she still didn’t feel tired. And she still felt cold, so she pulled the blankets up all the way over her head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Mall Monday!” Tess exclaimed as she and Sarah entered through the sliding glass doors by the food court.

“I love Mall Monday,” Sarah agreed.

“Although I don’t know why I’m getting excited,” Tess muttered, naturally veering towards the Mexican food station. “I can’t afford to buy anything.”

“Get yourself at least one new dress,” Sarah encouraged her friend. If Tess found one she liked and it was too expensive, she’d be willing to cover the cost for her.

“Maybe I should just go straight to the maternity store,” Tess speculated.

“Oh, please,” Sarah scoffed, pulling her out of the line for the Mexican food before she could officially stand in it. “You’ll probably be one of those girls who doesn’t even start showing until her third trimester.”

“I don’t know,” Tess said skeptically. “Did you see how many pieces of pizza I ate on Saturday? I was a machine.”

“Okay, but you’re responsible for feeding this whole other person in addition to yourself, so I’d say that’s excusable.”

“I guess,” Tess muttered. “Ooh, speaking of pizza . . . “ She started to make a beeline for Sbarro.

Sarah grabbed her arm and pulled her back. “You can at least wait until lunchtime, though.”

Tess pouted and complained, “But I’m so hungry.”

“You’ll be hungry at lunchtime, too.” Sarah heard a familiar voice call her name, and when she turned around, there was Maria. “Oh, good, she’s here,” she said, waving.

“Did you invite her?” Tess growled.

“Yeah.”

Tess sighed agitatedly and rolled her eyes. “Of course.”

Maria approached them, looking . . . unsure of herself. It seemed like, whenever Tess was around, she got really quiet. Which was understandable, Sarah supposed, because Tess had a big personality and could be pretty intimidating.

“Hey, guys,” Maria greeted softly.

“Hey, you,” Sarah returned. “I’m so glad you could make it. We’re having Mall Monday. Just us girls.” She smiled at both of them, but neither one of them could quite manage to smile back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Why didn’t I stay home? Maria wondered as she looked herself over in a dressing room mirror. These reflections were notoriously unflattering, and hers was no different. She was trying on a couple new pairs of jeans, and none of them looked right.

Taking them off hastily, she scrambled to think up some excuse to get her out of this little ‘Mall Monday’ excursion early. There was the good old standby of having errands to run. Or she could say she had a huge test to study for. Or class. Hell, yes. She could just say she had class.

Getting back into the jeans she owned, though, she knew she wouldn’t use any of these excuses. There was something about Sarah that made it hard to say no when she invited you to do something. She was just so damn nice.

Tess, on the other hand, wasn’t even pretending to be nice, though. She wasn’t paying Maria much attention at all. Which was fine. But Maria didn’t quite understand what she’d done to upset her so much. Existed, maybe?

She walked out of the dressing room with two pairs of jeans that just weren’t flattering and hung them back up on the ‘these won’t work rack.’ As she was doing that, one of the dressing room doors flew open, and out came Tess, high-tailing it around the corner, holding one hand to her stomach and the other over her mouth. Before Maria could even ask her if she was okay, she was out of sight. In the bathroom. And then there were the puking sounds.

“Oh . . .” Maria cringed, making a face. Hearing that really brought her back to . . .

She froze. No way. Was Tess . . . was she . . . ? She didn’t look . . . but she sure sounded . . .

Maria just stood there, dumbfounded as she heard the toilet flush. A few seconds later, Tess came trudging out, looking a lot worse for wear.

“Are you okay?” Maria immediately asked her.

“I’m fine,” Tess said, slinking back into her dressing room.

“Tess, are you . . .”

“Maria.” She shot her a sharp look. “Mind your own business.” Then she shut the door and firmly locked it into place.

Oh my god, she is! Maria realized. There was no need to get defensive about it if there wasn’t something to get defensive about.

I wonder if Kyle knows, she thought. Or Michael. He hadn’t said anything, so maybe Tess was trying to keep it under wraps.

Maria headed back out into the store, debating whether or not she should ask Sarah about it. Surely, if anyone knew what was going on, it would be Tess’s best friend. But even if she did know something, Sarah seemed trustworthy enough not to talk about it.

“Maria, what do you think of this one?” she asked, holding up a simple but elegant black dress. One-shoulder, not too high of a cut. Sarah would look as pretty in it as she seemed to look in everything else.

“It’s nice,” Maria replied.

“Have you found anything yet?” Sarah asked.

“Nothing that really looks right.” Truth be told, she wasn’t a huge shopping fanatic. It was more of a chore to her than anything else.

“There’s a green dress over there on the sale rack that I think would look great on you,” Sarah said, pointing behind Maria.

“Ooh, sale rack.” That was definitely the preferred rack for Maria. She walked over there and started looking through, but when she found the green dress . . . it just wasn’t as nice as the black one Sarah was eyeing. But it was cheaper. And green was a good color on her. She supposed she could try it on.

“Well, look who it is.”

She groaned, recognizing that annoying voice right away. Without even turning around, she said, “Isabel.”

“And Slutty Courtney!” another voice chimed in.

Maria whirled around. Oh, she remembered Courtney. The girl had come into the Crashdown only once, but she’d managed to cause a scene while she was there. “What’re you guys doing here?”

“Shopping,” Isabel replied simply.

“For wardrobe,” Courtney add, grinning mischievously.

For porn, Maria registered. Fantastic.

“Hey, I remember you,” Courtney said. “You’re that bitch who slept with Michael.”

Maria cast a glance over at Sarah, who was hanging back cautiously. But that was a mistake, because when she looked over there, so did Courtney and Isabel.

“Hey, you’re Michael’s girlfriend, aren’t you?” Isabel called over to her.

“Yeah,” Sarah replied confidently, but it was obvious that she didn’t want to get wrapped up in any conversation with those two girls.

“Oh my god, you’re gorgeous!” Courtney exclaimed, skipping over to her. “But of course you are. You’re dating Michael Guerin.”

“Um . . . thanks?” Sarah responded unsurely. Courtney then started touching her hair, asking her how she got it so soft and shiny.

“Are you here with her?” Isabel asked Maria quietly.

“So what if I am?” Then she borrowed one of Tess’s lines and snapped, “Mind your own business.”

Isabel snorted. “That’s a little weird, don’t you think? The ex hanging out with the current?”

“Just leave her alone,” Maria begged, “please.” Isabel and Courtney were such a mess, and she was used to dealing with messy things; but Sarah didn’t deserve to be swept up into any of it, not even for a moment.

“Relax,” Isabel said, “I’m not doing anything.”

But when Maria looked over at Courtney again, she noticed that she was doing something. Sarah was beginning to look increasingly uncomfortable as Courtney probed her with all sorts of inappropriate questions. Things like, “Does he still like doggy style best?” and “Would you ever do it with him on camera?”

“Okay, no,” Maria said, heading over there to rescue Michael’s poor girlfriend. She was way too pure for this shit. “We’re not doing this,” she said, putting herself in between Sarah and Courtney. “You two need to leave.”

Courtney huffed as Isabel strode over. “Why? Are we not classy enough for this place?”

“No, but you’re trashy enough for Slut Barn, so why don’t you try shopping there?” Maria suggested.

“Oh, bitch, I could so take you right now,” Courtney threatened.

Maria had no doubt about that, but she wasn’t about to back down. “Give it your best shot.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Sarah said, pulling Maria backward as Isabel did the same to Courtney. “Let’s not get kicked out of the store here.”

“I’m sorry, honey,” Courtney apologized to Sarah. “It’s too bad this skank had to interrupt our conversation.”

Much to Maria’s surprise, Sarah—sweet, innocent Sarah—got a little fire burning when Courtney said that. “You have no right to call her that,” she snapped. “And you have no right to ask me the kinds of things you were. It’s just not appropriate.”

“Ooh, it’s just not appropriate,” Courtney mimicked. “Oh, Isabel, god forbid we’re ever not appropriate.”

“Maybe we should just get Tess and go,” Sarah suggested.

“Tess?” Isabel was suddenly intrigued. “Tess is here?”

“Oh, forget them, Isabel,” Courtney said. She pointed to Sarah and accused, “This girl’s no fun, and this girl . . .” She eyed Maria with contempt. “Well, we both know she’s a man-stealing little whore.”

“That’s it,” Sarah decided, “I’m getting the manager.”

“Oh, don’t bother, we’re already leaving,” Courtney said. “But Maria knows it’s true. She’s a whore.”

“I’m not the one who does porn,” Maria shot back.

“Yeah, but I’m pretty sure you let Michael use your backdoor a couple times, if you know what I mean.” She cackled and motioned for Isabel to follow her out of the store. Isabel stayed a little bit longer, though, scanning the store as if she were trying to find Tess. But then she lowered her head and followed after Courtney like the obedient little sidekick she was.

Oh god, that was bracing, Maria thought as she stood there, her whole body tense. She tried to give Sarah a reassuring look, maybe even a thankful one, but it probably came across as more of a grimace. Because Sarah now looked uncomfortable, like Courtney’s words were making her picture something she really didn’t want to see.

Moments later, Tess came back out from the dressing room, looking put together again and not so sick to her stomach. Looking between the both of them, she asked, “What’d I miss?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Using his whole body to cover hers, Michael kissed Sarah deeply and pinned her wrists above her head with his left hand. Her body arched up off the mattress into his, and though he’d been intending to take it slow, eagerness got the best of him. His fingers itched with desire to unbutton her blouse, so with his right hand, that’s what he did. He didn’t even have to look at what he was doing to get each button undone.

He slid each side of her shirt away from her breasts, palming them greedily through the thin fabric of her bra. She had a gorgeous rack, perfectly proportioned the rest of her, and the more he touched them, the more he wanted to watch them bounce up and down; so he slid one arm underneath her and flipped them over, reversing their positions so that she was now the one on top.

“Ooh,” she said against his lips. She proceeded to kiss him a little bit more, then sat up straighter, peeling off her shirt.

“There you go,” he encouraged, reaching up to touch her breasts again. He pulled one bra cup down just far enough for her nipple to come out, and she smiled a little. But she didn’t seem totally into it.

“You okay?” he asked, lowering his hands to smooth against her stomach instead.

“Yeah,” she said. “I just like it better when you’re on top.”

“Oh, really?” That was how they usually did it—either that or doggy style—but this was always good, too. “Why’s that?”

“Because you’re so good at it.”

“You’re good, too,” he pointed out.

“But you, like, really know what you’re doing.”

“Well, we’ve been doing this for two years, so . . . so do you.”

“I know,” she said, fixing her bra so that nothing was exposed anymore.

He frowned, placing his hands on her hips. “Did I do something wrong?” he asked, sensing that this wasn’t going to progress tonight.

“No,” she mumbled. “Well, maybe a couple years ago.”

What? He found that, when she was saying something he didn’t understand, it was usually best to just tell her he didn’t understand, so he said, “I’m confused.”

“It’s nothing,” she said.

“Did something happen with Maria today?” A couple of years ago, he’d mostly done . . . well, her.

“No,” she said. “I mean, kind of, but it wasn’t her fault.”

He propped himself up on his forearms and questioned, “What’s wrong?” because he knew there was something upsetting her, regardless of this whole it’s-no-big-deal dismissal.

She sighed, playing with her hair for a few seconds before conceding to tell him. “Okay, today when I was at the mall with Tess and Maria, we ran into a few . . . unexpected guests.”

Unexpected? He ran the possibilities through his mind, and only one name jumped out at him. “Isabel?”

“And her friend.”

“Courtney.” Well, that was great. Seeing the two of them was always a lovely time.

“I swear, every time I meet someone in this town, it’s some girl you’ve had sex with,” Sarah said.

He winced. “Sorry.”

“It’s just . . . pretty prolific.” She waved if off, though, as if she were used to it. “Whatever. You’re not the same guy anymore. I get that.”

“But . . . ?” Clearly something was still bothering her.

“But . . .” She trailed off into a groan, as if she really didn’t want to go any further. “Courtney said something, and--”

“What’d she say?” Courtney had never been anything to him, just the chick he’d drunkenly lost his virginity to; so anything that came out of her mouth probably wasn’t even worth hearing.

“She just . . . well, she implied that . . .” Poor Sarah kept stopping and starting over. “She mentioned something about you and Maria having . . .”

“Sex?” he filled in. Yeah, they’d done that. That wasn’t news to anyone.

She grimaced. “A certain type of sex?”

“Oh.” Shit, he thought, knowing right away what type of sex she was referring to. The really taboo, really wild, fucking erotic kind. “Well, Courtney and I didn’t even talk back then.”

“But did you . . . you know.” She lowered her voice as if she were embarrassed to even say it. “Have anal sex with Maria?”

Oh . . . crap. This was a conversation he’d never wanted to have. But he couldn’t lie to her. “Yeah,” he answered hesitantly.

She nodded, looking down at her hands instead of in his eyes anymore.

“But I told you, I’ve pretty much . . . done everything.”

“I know,” she said, “but . . . I don’t know, I guess I thought you were talking about, like, sixty-nine and . . . maybe a little spanking.”

“Oh, I haven’t done spanking,” he lied, sitting up so he could put his arms around her and really hold her in his lap. Maybe they could do it together.

She saw right through him, though. “Nice try. Yes, you have.”

He sighed and admitted, “Okay, I have. So what, though? That’s . . .” He motioned behind his head. “That’s in the past.”

“You’re just so much more experienced than I am,” she said.

“That’s okay.” He’d been more experienced than Maria, too, more experienced than Liz and Isabel. He was used to being the one to teach these girls things.

“I know it’s okay,” she whimpered softly, “but now I wonder if I’m living up to your expectations.”

“My expectations?” he echoed, unable to help but laugh. “Sarah . . .”

“Because I don’t wanna have anal sex.”

“You don’t have to.” That wasn’t a requirement for their relationship, just like it hadn’t been a requirement for him and Maria. It had just been something adventurous and sensual that they’d tried together. And . . . well, yeah, it had been pretty downright incredible, and it was probably one of those things he’d never forget, but . . .

He couldn’t think about that right now.

“Did you guys do it like that a lot?” she asked worriedly.

“No. We only did it once.”

That seemed to make her feel better. The smallest bit of relief started to show in her eyes. “I just . . . I can’t do it like that,” she said.

“That’s fine.”

“I know you’re really daring and all, but . . . there’s just some stuff I don’t really think I’d like.”

Well, he sure as hell liked it, but he’d never mentioned it to her before, and now that he was able to gauge her reaction to it, he didn’t think he’d ever mention it in the future. “Don’t worry about it,” he said, his hands crawling up her back to touch her hair. “It’s not important to me.”

“I know, it’s just . . . sometimes I’m insecure when it comes to sex.”

“But you’re not insecure about anything else,” he pointed out.

“That’s because I know I’m really good at everything else.”

He chuckled at that. “Well, just so you know, I’m, like, a hundred-thousand percent satisfied with our sex life, so you must be really good at that, too.”

Finally, at last, that got a smile out of her. “I love you,” she said, putting her hands on his shoulders.

“I love you, too.” He pulled her in close and kissed her, carefully moving her so that she wasn’t sitting right on the growing bulge in his crotch. He couldn’t really control it. All this talk of anal sex . . . it got him reminiscing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There was this incessant knocking at the door the next day, but Isabel had no intention of getting up to answer it. She continue to lay in bed while this knocking continued for at least a full minute, and unfortunately, it got to the point where she couldn’t ignore it. When she heard a familiar voice yelling her name, she immediately became more interested.

“Isabel!”

Michael.

She sprang out of bed, eager to see what this could be about. The house felt empty as she headed downstairs, so no wonder he’d had to knock so long.

She swung open the door, and when he saw her, he immediately held his hand up over her eyes, as though she were repulsive or something.

“What?” she asked innocently. Sure, she’d just gotten out of bed, but she didn’t look that bad.

“Can you maybe put some clothes on?”

She looked down at the bra and panties she’d fallen asleep in. “These are clothes,” she squeaked out. “How’d you know where I live?”

“I just asked around. Turns out, it’s not too hard to find out where the town porn stars live.”

She rolled her eyes. “You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“Okay, you know what? You’re a fucking bitch,” he growled suddenly. His hostility was . . . alarming. “I hate you.”

“What did I do?” she asked innocently.

“You and Courtney, yesterday, talkin’ to Sarah. Does that ring a bell?”

“I didn’t say anything to her.”

“Fine, but your best friend did. You know what? Just stay the hell away from my girlfriend.”

“Which one?” she retorted.

For a second, that silenced him. But just for a second. “Funny.”

“I’m serious.”

“You don’t even know what you’re talkin’ about. Just stay out of it.”

“Well, if I hurt poor little Sarah’s delicate feelings,” Isabel said nastily, “then why isn’t she over here chewing me out? Do you always fight her battles for her?”

“She’s just got way too much class. You know, something you used to have.”

She snorted indignantly and rolled her eyes.

“She’s so much better than you.”

“Better?” Isabel challenged. Funny, she hadn’t seen Sarah on Princeton’s campus.

“Yeah, better,” he affirmed. “She’s a better girlfriend, she’s a better person. Why don’t you and Courtney just stick to making low-rent movies with your loser boyfriends, and leave those of us who actually have a future alone.”

“Oh!” She laughed angrily. “So now I have no future. And you do. Isn’t that ironic?”

“You know what your problem is, Isabel? You’re so desperate for attention. You do anything you can to make yourself relevant to the rest of us, but you just end up acting like a bitch. And nobody cares about you.”

Jesse does, she thought. Courtney and Eric do. But after that . . . yeah, the list was pretty short. Her own mother wasn’t even on it anymore.

“So stay the hell away from us,” he reiterated coldly, “and go get gang-banged or something.” He shook his head as if he were disgusted by the mere sight of her, then turned and headed across the lawn to his car.

She stood in the doorway in her underwear, watching him get in and drive away. That was the first guy she’d ever slept with right there, the first guy she’d ever loved. The guy who’d cheated on her twice and ruined her life once. And now he was the one who had a future, and she had . . . this.

Slamming the door, she ran into the downstairs bathroom and opened up the medicine cabinet. Courtney had some pills in there that she took all the time, and even though Isabel wasn’t sure what they were, she unscrewed the cap of the bottle and dropped five into the palm of her hand.

Try not to pay attention to this, she thought resentfully as she tossed her head back and shoved all five of them into her mouth.

TBC . . .

-April
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 29, 07/02/16

Post by sarammlover »

SOrry, I did mean Michael.....sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain!

When is courtney going to be thrown in jail for something...anything? She is disgusting. And Isabel....when is she going to pull her head out of her ass? Maybe after rehab?

I really hope Tess and maria find a way to be civil. This group..SO many issues!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 29, 07/02/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Just read this again after first reading it "over there".
I'm still loving Sarah becoming friends with all of Michael's ex-girlfriends.
Thanks,
Carolyn
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 30

Post by April »

Sara:
This group..SO many issues!
I feel like, every fic I write, someone makes a comment like this. :lol: They do have a lot of issues, don't they? And many of these issues aren't very easy to resolve.

Carolyn:
I'm still loving Sarah becoming friends with all of Michael's ex-girlfriends.
I think you're loving it more than Michael is. ;)

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it!

It's been a while since I suggested any music, but let me suggest the beautiful song "Some Streets Lead Nowhere" by Matthew Ryan today, which you can listen to HERE when you see :( if you'd like to.

Part 30

Good lesson today, Alex thought as he gathered up his supplies. I gotta do small group discussions more often.

“Alex?”

He looked up, and much to his surprise, there was Isabel. She had on an oversized t-shirt, jeans, and shoes that didn’t match. Her hair was all over the place, her makeup was smeared, and she was sweating.

“Isabel, where were you?” he said. “Class is over.”

“Sorry,” she said, barely able to put one foot in front of the other as she came into the classroom. “I had a . . . rough morning.”

Or a rough night, he thought, honestly repulsed by the sight of her in that moment. She looked like some girl from the street corner who had just given some guy a real fun time.

“God, what’s wrong with you?” he grumbled disappointedly. It was so sad to see her succumb to this.

“I’m just . . . tired,” she said, reaching out for him.

He swatted her hand away, but when he did that, she stumbled so far to the side that he had to reach out and catch her. “Whoa, are you okay?”

“Tired,” she repeated, her eyes falling shut.

“Are you drunk?”

“No,” she whimpered.

She looked . . . strung-out on something. “Then what--” Before he could finish the question, though, her entire body went limp in his arms, and she was falling. “Isabel!” He sat down with her, keeping his arms around her. “Isabel, stay with me.” He patted her cheek, not too forcefully, but enough to hopefully elicit some kind or reaction.

There wasn’t one.

“Isabel.” She was breathing, but she didn’t look good at all. He was really worried about her.

“Shit,” he swore, reaching up onto the front table to grab his phone. He quickly dialed 911.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabel’s throat felt dry. Like sandpaper. She wanted to say that she needed water, but her whole mouth felt like it weighed twenty pounds.

Her eyelids were similarly heavy, but she managed to open them, squinting against the bright light of . . . where the hell was she? A hospital room? She was in the hospital?

She tried to look around, but everything hurt, so swiveling her neck was painful. She spotted Alex over by the window, though, looking outside pensively, and seeing him there made her feel a little better.

“Alex?” she croaked out.

His head snapped away from the window, and his whole body relaxed as he breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank God,” he said, coming towards the bed.

“What happened?” she asked, barely able to get the words out.

“You don’t remember?”

“No.” The last thing she remembered was Michael, and how mad at he’d been at her.

“You were halfway conscious when the ambulance got you here,” he said. “You told ‘em you took some pills, apparently some really dangerous ones. So they pumped your stomach.”

She rubbed her scratchy throat, asking, “Is that why it hurts?”

“Your stomach?”

“My throat.”

“Well, yeah, they shoved a tube down it.”

She groaned, but that only made her throat feel worse. And she had a headache. And she felt exhausted. Why had she done this again?

“Just get some sleep,” he said.

She planned on it, but first, she wanted to know, “Why are you here?”

“Somehow you made it to campus, into my classroom,” he told her. “You collapsed in my arms, so I called 911.”

Of course she’d made it to campus, made it to him. There was no one better to be around when she needed help. “Thank you,” she croaked out, her eyes drifting shut.

“Get some sleep,” he repeated. She couldn’t be sure, but as she was drifting off again, she thought she felt the back of his hand against her cheek. And that made her feel better.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cheryl had been pregnant for so long that Michael could barely remember what she looked like as a normal human being. But now that she’d had her baby, he’d get a refresher. He and Sarah went to the hospital the day after the baby was born to offer their congrats and see the little guy, and as usual, Sarah was completely at ease and he was uncomfortable. He was good with kids, sure, but babies? That was uncharted territory for him.

“Oh my god, he’s so cute!” Sarah raved as he looked down at the sleeping baby boy in Cheryl’s arms. “What’s his name?”

“Nathan.” Lying in her hospital bed, Cheryl was beaming. The woman had to be exhausted, but she looked better than Michael had ever seen her.

“He’s beautiful,” Sarah said. “He looks like both of you.”

Michael patted Steve on the shoulder and said, “Congratulations, man. You made that.”

“Crazy,” Steve said. “It’s surreal. I’m a father now.”

“You’ll be a good one,” Michael assured him. Steve and Cheryl were only a couple years older than he and Sarah were, and their financial situation was . . . pretty tight. And neither one of them had finished college yet, and they were having to put it on hold next semester. So things would probably get stressful for a while, but they’d make it. They’d been together since their freshman year of high school, so there was no way they wouldn’t last.

“Do you wanna hold him?” Cheryl asked.

Sarah’s whole face lit up. “Can I?”

“Sure, go ahead.” Cheryl carefully passed the little boy off into Sarah’s arms, and Sarah gasped with delight as she got to hold him.

“Oh, look at him. He’s so perfect.”

“Great,” Michael mumbled, “now she’s gonna have baby fever.”

Steve chuckled. “Just wear a condom. You’ll be fine.”

Michael watched his girlfriend, watched that gleam in her eyes get bigger and bigger, and he imagined that this is what she would be like as a mom someday. Full of energy, full of excitement, full of love. That was just who Sarah was all the time.

“Do you wanna hold him?” Steve asked.

It took Michael a second to realize he was asking him. “Me?”

“Yeah.”

The thought of it made him nervous. “I don’t know. I’ve never really held a baby before. Except Tina once, but I almost dropped her on her head.”

“Oh, this is comforting,” Cheryl muttered sarcastically.

“Here, just hold him,” Sarah said, gently passing him off. “Support the head.”

And just like that, he had a baby boy in his arms. A baby boy who indeed was pretty damn cute. Michael thought he looked more like Cheryl than like Steve, though, which, for the kid’s sake, was a good thing.

“He likes you,” Sarah said.

Michael smiled, because Nathan started to open up his eyes. And when he looked up at him, he sort of smiled and gurgled a little.

When they left, they had to head all the way back through the hospital to the parking lot on the other side. The whole time they walked, Sarah kept talking about the baby.

“And his soft little skin,” she was saying. “Why can’t our skin stay soft like that forever?”

“I don’t know.” Her skin was pretty damn soft, though.

“And did you see those little fingers? I mean, how cute is he?”

“Pretty cute.”

“Steve and Cheryl are gonna be so good at this. That little baby just hit the jackpot.”

“Yeah.” He had two parents who loved him, and . . . well, that was a lot more than some kids had. “So seein’ Cheryl and Steve with a baby doesn’t make you wanna have a baby, right?” he questioned, just to make sure.

She gave him a look. “Michael, we’re twenty-one.”

“So that’s a no then?”

“Yes, that’s a no. Or a not yet, I guess I should say. Because someday down the line, obviously, I would want that with you.” She reached down and held his hand. “We’d make great parents.”

“Well . . .” He wasn’t so sure about that. “You’d make a great parent; I’d just try my best.”

“Oh, please, after seeing you with those football boys . . . I just know you’ll be father-of-the-year.”

“Hmm.” He remembered calling his own dad that, but sarcastically. Before he could say anything more about it, someone familiar walked out of the hospital room right in front of them, starting down the hall. Even from the back, Michael recognized him right away. “Alex.”

Alex spun around, looking surprised to see him. “Michael.”

“Hey.” Guy didn’t look any different. “Man, I haven’t seen you in forever.”

“Yeah, it’s been a while,” Alex agreed.

“How’s life treatin’ you?”

“Pretty good. Just busy with work and school, you know.”

“Yeah, same here.” He remembered then that Sarah had no idea who this was, though, so he quickly introduced her. “Oh, this is Sarah, my girlfriend. Sarah, this is Alex, the guy who tutored me in high school.”

“Oh, so you’re the one who’s responsible for making Michael as smart as he is,” she remarked.

A confused look crept to Alex’s face. “I am?”

Michael laughed lightly. “I have a 3.8 now.”

Alex’s eyes bulged in noticeable surprise. “Wow,” he said. “That’s amazing. Congratulations, I always knew you could do it.”

“Thanks.” Michael cleared his throat and asked, “So what’re you doin’ here?” Did he have a pregnant wife now, too, or something?

“Michael,” Sarah said, giving him a cautionary look.

Right, he realized. None of my business. “Sorry,” he apologized. For all he knew, Alex was there for something really private.

“No, it’s okay,” Alex said. “I, uh . . .” He trailed off, giving Michael a serious look, and then he motioned with his head to the hospital room he’d just come out of.

Michael craned his neck back and peered inside, and he was shocked by what he saw. Lying there on the bed, hooked up to all sorts of equipment, eyes closed . . . was Isabel.

What? his mind screamed. She looked . . . awful.

“Oh my god,” Sarah whispered. “Is that . . . ?”

“She took some pills,” Alex explained. “She wasn’t in class, but she came to me after, and she just collapsed. So I called 911.”

Some pills? Michael thought, horrified. That meant . . . that meant that what he’d said had set her off. She had to have taken the pills after he went to see her this morning. “Is she gonna be okay?” he asked. Despite everything he’d said, he didn’t want to see Isabel hurt herself. Or worse.

“She’ll be fine,” Alex said. “Physically, at least.”

The longer he looked at her, the more his stomach started to churn. He felt like he was going to be sick. How the hell was that Isabel Evans lying there? How the hell was that the same girl who used to wear that cheerleading uniform, who used to get up in front of the entire student body and deliver speeches? That girl had been beautiful and talented and way too good for him. This girl was unrecognizable.

“I gotta go,” Alex said. “Good to see you, though.”

“Yeah.” Michael barely noticed him leave. It took a gentle squeeze from Sarah’s hand to snap him out of his stupor and get him to continue walking, too. But he’d only taken a few more steps when he had to stop, unlink his hand from hers, and drag both of his through his already unruly hair.

“Are you okay?” Sarah asked, concerned.

He was better than Isabel but feeling guilty as hell. “That’s my fault,” he said, motioning back towards her hospital room. If he hadn’t gone over there and said anything to her, then maybe she wouldn’t have slipped over the edge.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alex called his superiors to explain why he wouldn’t be in his office today. They understood the situation and gave him the afternoon off, so he went home, feeling completely spent.

Leanna was there.

“You’re home early,” she remarked as she blended up a protein shake in the kitchen.

“Yeah, I had . . . kind of a weird day,” he told her.

“What happened?”

“Oh . . .” He could barely even talk about it; it horrified him so much. “I had a student show up late to class, and she passed out in my arms. I had to call 911 to get her to the hospital. Apparently she took a lot of pills.”

Instead of asking if this person was going to be okay, Leanna narrowed her eyes at him and asked, “Which student?”

Those eyes of hers . . . they stabbed him like jealous daggers, and he couldn’t believe it. She was going to envy a girl who just almost overdosed.

“Isabel,” he answered honestly.

Rolling her eyes exaggeratedly, she shook her head and abandoned her protein shake on the counter. “Of course,” she muttered, stopping at the front door to slip on a pair of sandals. She grabbed her keys off the TV stand and stormed out, fuming.

After today . . . he had neither the energy nor the desire to go out after her. She would just have to be pissed, because he’d done what he needed to do today.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even as she was sleeping, Isabel felt a hand holding hers. A warm hand. “Alex?” she called groggily, stirring.

“No, baby. It’s me.”

Jesse. She slowly opened her eyes, and there was her boyfriend, sitting right next to her bed, smiling at her.

“Hey,” he said. “Welcome back.”

Where did I go? she wondered.

“You really scared me, baby,” he said, reaching up to brush her hair off her forehead.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. She didn’t know why she’d done it. Taking pills was stupid. She knew that. But Courtney took them all the time, and she drank and did drugs. And nothing happened.

“I’m just glad you’re okay,” he said, stroking his thumb over her knuckles. “Promise me you won’t do that again.”

“I promise,” she said weakly. But she meant it. She wasn’t suicidal, but now everyone was going to think she was. She just . . . she wasn’t sure what she was, but it was dark, and it was complicated. She didn’t want to die, though.

“Good,” he said. “I love you, you know. You’re mi amor.”

She managed a smile, loving when he said things like that. “I love you, too,” she said. Jesse might not have been the perfect boyfriend, but for almost three years now, he’d been in her life, never abandoning her the way so many other people had done. He was all she really had.

“Alright, well, you should get some more sleep,” Jesse told her. “I think I’m gonna head home.”

“Home?” she echoed sadly. Why couldn’t he just stay there with her? If she had to stay all night, she didn’t want to be there by herself.

“Eric and I are putting some finishing touches on some new footage,” he said. “We got a lot of work to do.”

Work, she thought. Right. There was always that.

“But I’ll be back bright and early tomorrow morning to pick you up,” Jesse promised, lifting up her hand to give it a kiss. “Sleep well, baby.”

“Bye,” she said, watching longingly as he walked out of the room. And then it was just her and those uncomfortable pillows and all those intimidating machines. No Jesse. No Alex. No one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even though it practically killed him, Michael swallowed his pride and drove over to Max and Maria’s house the next morning before class. It was . . . modest. Smaller than the home he’d grown up in, but better maintained on the outside. The house was blue with white trim, and it was painted well, of course, since house-painting was one of Max’s dead-end jobs.

He didn’t want to be there, but he was, and he felt like he had to be. So he went up and rang the doorbell, hoping that it would be Max who came to the door and not Maria. Strangely enough, Max was the one he wanted to see this time.

Fortunately for him, Max was the one who opened the door. He looked like he was dressed for work on the construction site, and sort of like he was in hurry. “Michael,” he said. “Wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

“Yeah, I got your address off of Dylan’s football registration form.”

“Oh.” Max nodded and kept looking at him expectantly. “Is there something you need?”

What he needed was to feel like less of a jackass, so he mumbled, “I just wondered how she was doin’ today.”

“Who?” Max questioned. “Maria?”

“No.” Wasn’t it obvious? “Isabel.”

Max frowned, confused. “What’s wrong with her?”

“You don’t know?”

Max shook his head.

What the hell? He’d just assumed . . . “She’s in the hospital,” he told him. “She took a bunch of pills.”

Max’s whole expression registered shock. “What?”

“I thought you knew.”

“No.” Max genuinely looked worried about his sister . . . although it was hard to tell if anything with Max Evans was actually genuine. “Is she okay?”

“I guess so. Physically at least.” Michael shrugged. Isabel wasn’t okay. She hadn’t been for years now, and everyone knew it. “Look, I don’t like you. I don’t like bein’ here right now. I don’t really buy this whole you-bein’-a-changed-man thing. But you’re sure as hell doin’ a lot better than your sister is. She’s a wreck. She needs somebody. But I’m not that person, and her boyfriend’s not that person, and her best friend’s not that person. So maybe you can be that person for her. I don’t know.” He just felt like Isabel was going to disappear if nobody did anything.

“We’re not . . .” Max hung his head and mumbled, “We’re not close.”

“Yeah, but you’re still her brother,” Michael reminded him. That meant he had an inherent connection to her no matter what. “You say you’re a good guy, so maybe now’s your chance to prove it.”

Max let out a heavy sigh, and Michael wasn’t sure whether it was because he didn’t want to help or because he just doubted he could.

“Help her,” he said as he turned and left. Maybe there was one good thing that could come out of Max being in Carlsbad. And maybe this was that thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max was conflicted. On the one hand, yes, he was Isabel’s brother. But on the other hand, cutting ties with her was a strategic, deliberate decision he’d made on his own path to recovery. She was no good for him, because she involved herself in too much shady stuff. He couldn’t be around that; he couldn’t have that in his life.

Despite all that, though, he overcame his reluctance and drove to the hospital instead of to the construction site after Michael dropped by that morning. He called his boss and explained why he’d be in late, and even though his boss wasn’t exactly sympathetic, he said it was fine.

What am I supposed to do? Max wondered as he approached the information desk. How was he supposed to help someone else when he’d only recently learned how to help himself?

“Excuse me,” he said to the woman sitting behind the desk. “I’m here to see Isabel Evans. I’m her brother.”

“Let’s see . . .” She typed in some things quickly and said, “Oh, she’s checking out this morning. She might even already be gone. You can go see if she’s still here, though. Room 221.”

“Thanks.” He headed past the information desk and down to the end of the hall, following the signs that hung from the ceiling. He veered to the right, contemplating calling his mom and letting her know what was going on. She never asked about Isabel, never said anything about her anymore. It was like she was ashamed of her. But she wasn’t ashamed of him, not even after everything he’d done. Maybe if he could get her there, then maybe she’d be the right person to help Isabel. And then he’d be able to stay out of it.

When he got to the room, he walked in to find it empty. No Isabel. Nobody at all. The sheets hadn’t been changed yet, though, so she’d probably just left right before he showed up there. He was too late.

Dammit, he thought, discouraged. Even though he didn’t want to get involved, he would have done whatever he could. But really, what was he supposed to do? He’d turned his life around because he wanted to, because he’d gone out there and sought out help. But how did anyone help a girl like Isabel, a girl who didn’t want to be helped?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thursday morning, Maria was running late to class. She’d get in there before it started, but only right before. And she’d definitely had to walk fast from the parking lot to make up time.

Much to her surprise, as she was nearing Lecuona Hall, she saw Michael trudging forward, too. Usually he got there before her. College seemed to have transformed him into someone who was actually quite punctual.

She caught up to him and said, “Hey.”

“Hey,” he echoed, his voice flat.

“You look tired,” she remarked. That spark of energy that was usually in his eyes just didn’t seem to be there today.

“I haven’t slept well these past few days,” he admitted.

“I can tell.” She headed up the outside steps, but his pace slowed, and eventually, he just stopped altogether. “You coming?” she asked, turning back around.

He looked at the building as though he were absolutely dreading walking inside of it. “I don’t think so.”

She frowned. This wasn’t just tiredness. Something was bothering him. “Are you okay?” she asked as other last-minute arrivers blew right past them and scurried inside.

“Yeah,” he said. “I just don’t think I wanna sit in there today. You go ahead, though.” He stuffed his hands in his pockets and turned around, heading right back the way he had come.

Vintage Michael, she thought, skipping class. Truth be told, she’d started to wonder if this side of him even existed anymore.

Go inside, she told herself. Go to class.

Her feet didn’t move.

“Michael.”

He turned back around.

Oh god, what am I doing? she thought. Her mouth moved on its own accord. “Do you wanna go for a drive?”

He didn’t answer, but he didn’t need to. The answer was obvious in those tired eyes.

( :( )

She was parked closer, so they got in her car, and they just drove. He didn’t say anything; it was weird to see him so quiet. It just seemed like he needed to get away and think about . . . whatever was on his mind.

“Where do you wanna go?” she asked, slowing down as she approached a red light. She could either take a left and head out of town, drive off onto that relatively deserted highway that she’d taken to Roswell. Or she could take a right, and they could go somewhere in town.

“Anywhere,” he mumbled, still staring out the window.

When the light turned green . . . she just took a left.

She drove for about fifteen minutes, and when she felt like they were far enough out of town, she pulled onto the side of the road and stopped. They got out, and she sat on the hood. He paced around, still relatively non-verbal. He seemed lost in thought as he picked up a few rocks and threw them out into the dry field.

Even though she wanted to know what was going on, Maria just sat there and watched him, trying to figure it out on her own instead of asking him about it. Michael was unique in that, at times, he was an open book—his thoughts and his feelings were obvious. But at other times, he was still very much a mystery. And this was one of those times.

She knew he’d open up about whatever was on his mind when he was ready, though, and eventually, he did. He threw one last rock out into the desert and asked, “Did you hear about Isabel?”

And just like that, it all made sense. How withdrawn he was, why he wasn’t talking . . . it was because of Isabel. “Yeah,” Maria said softly. She hadn’t said anything, because she wasn’t sure if he knew. “Max told me. And he texted me that he tried to go see her at the hospital, but she was already gone.”

Michael stared off into the horizon, his face a mask of emotions. “I think she’s been gone for a while now.”

Maria looked down at her lap, saddened by the truth of that. It wasn’t hard to pinpoint when and why Isabel’s downward spiral had started, and she knew she’d played a big part in that.

Michael kicked at the dirt for a moment, then shuffled back to the car and climbed up on the hood, sitting beside her, shoulders slumped. “It’s my fault,” he said. “I said some stuff to her.”

She wasn’t going to probe about what he’d said, because obviously he already felt guilty enough about it. “You can’t blame yourself,” she said. Isabel was a big girl; she made her own decisions.

“She still blames me,” he said. “She blames both of us.”

Maria swallowed hard, nodding in understanding.

“You know, I got this great life,” he went on, his eyes focused straight ahead at nothing in particular. “Everything’s goin’ my way. But I had to walk all over some people to get here.”

“You didn’t ruin her life, though.” Plenty of girls in high school had boyfriends break up for them, and often cheating played a major role. But most of those girls didn’t resort to a life of porn and pills to overcome it.

“Ruined my dad’s life,” Michael muttered suddenly.

Maria bristled. Where had that come from? Michael barely ever said anything about his dad anymore. It seemed like a taboo subject that he never wanted to talk about.

“I don’t want Isabel to end up killin’ herself,” he said, his voice cloaked in sadness. “That’s what he did.”

It was? She didn’t understand. Hadn’t he . . . choked on his own vomit or something like that? “I thought you said he drank too much,” she said.

“Yeah. He knew he was an alcoholic and he kept drinking.” There was a bit of an edge to Michael’s voice when he said that, an anger. “So he killed himself slowly. Year after year. Day after day. Night after night.”

Maria felt a tear roll down her cheek, and she quickly wiped it away. She remembered Andy’s drinking, the toll it had taken on the whole family. Krista had been so unhappy with him, and Michael had been so . . . afraid. Afraid of becoming the same thing.

“He just checked out,” Michael growled. “And I act like it doesn’t bother me, but . . .” He pressed his lips tightly together, clenched his jaw. “It does. Every day.”

Maria wanted to reach over and put her hand on his shoulder, or give him a hug. Just something to make him feel better. But she couldn’t do any of that. Not anymore. “Well,” she said, trying to focus on something positive, “at least you know you’re not gonna end up like him.” She was so proud of this person Michael had become. He’d defied everyone’s expectations. Even her own.

“And I don’t want anyone else to,” he said. “Not Kyle, not Tina. Not Isabel.”

Kyle would be okay. Maria was sure of that. If he and Tess had a baby . . . it would be the motivation he needed to get better. Tina was on the wrong path, but she was still young and could turn it around. Isabel’s future probably looked the bleakest. Ironic, considering it had once been so bright.

A gust of wind whipped past, blowing her hair back over her shoulders and making her shiver. She inhaled sharply and asked him, “Why are you telling me this?” It seemed like the kind of thing he should be telling Sarah.

For just about the first time since they’d gotten in that car, he turned and looked her in the eye. “Because you were there,” he said. “You lived through it with me.”

Memories assaulted her mind, memories of all the things they’d lived through. All the nights they’d laid up in his bedroom and just talked about anything that was on their minds, just kept talking to drown out the arguments his parents were having.

Looking back out onto the open highway, he told her, “You’re the only one who understands.”

She felt another tear spill over her lower lid when he said that, and she wasn’t even sure why. But she didn’t bother to wipe this one away. She just let it fall, hoping he wouldn’t look over again and notice.

TBC . . .

-April