Guiding Cupid (Part 1/1, Teen, A/I CC)

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

KaraGail
Addicted Roswellian

Guiding Cupid (Part 1/1, Teen, A/I CC)

Post by KaraGail »

A/N Another little short story I wrote. Thanks as always to Trude for her constant encouragement :lol: I'm not sure if I will continue this story but who knows? :roll:

Guiding Cupid

By: Kara Gail

"Disclaimer: The characters of "Roswell" belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended."

Category: Alex and Isabel

Rating: Teen

Summary: Alex and Isabel work to get the other couples back together. Sorry no Kyle and Tess this time.

Part 1/1

Isabel Evans was currently sitting in one of the back boothsin crowded Crashdown with her brothers, Max and Michael. It was her custom, along with her brothers and many other students from their highschool, to hang out here after school. Most of the sudents came to socialize with others and have a good time, while the three aliens had their own agendas.

Max and Michael were sereptiously watching the two young waitress', Maria and Liz, as they took orders and delivered them. The girls had once been their girlfriends but were torn apart by circumstance. Both boys were effected differently from the break ups. Max went into a state of gloom and constantly wondering what he had done to push Liz away and into the arms of another man. Michael had just learned to avoid Maria when he could just so he would not have to hear another tirade on how he had been a poor excuse for a boyfriend. But even with their feelings all a jumble, and their love lives in shambles, they still came everyday to the diner to watch their girls.

Isabel also came to the Crashdown to watch someone and be near them. But unlike her brothers, her desire was a secret , that no one would have suspected. No one but she knew who exactly filled her thoughts and heart. Even now, while sitting with her brothers, her attention was currently focused on the tall, dark haired boy, that sat at the counter with his back toward them drinking his usual Orange Soda. Alex Whitman.

She still recalled that late night two months ago when she crawled through his window only to spend most of the evening pouring her heart to him. She had felt like she would burst if she didn’t talk to someone and she had known that he would always be there for her as he had been so many times before.Alex had pulled her into his arms and held her to him and offered comforting words to reassure her that everything would work out.

His words of encouragement and his constant love had made her heart swell with joy and, not knowing what possessed her, Isabel lifted her head from his shoulder and pressed her lips to his. Instantly they both seemed to experienced the connection that Max and Liz had described so many times from their own forms of intamacy.

Isabel had been able to see through his eyes the first time he saw her in elementary school as well as a few other flashes of herself over the years. In those few moments, she had come to realize how much Alex had truly loved her.

Pulling back she looked him in the eyes and said, “I want to try.”

Alex frowned in confusion, “Try what, Isabel?”

“Us” she smiled and caressed his cheek with her finger tips, “I’m ready to give us a try and let you in.”

It took a moment for Alex to process her words as he sat their stunned but then a grin split his face. Quickly he had pulled her back to him for a more thorough and passionate kiss. They had spent the rest of the night just holding each other and coming to terms with the idea of "them."

Isabel was brought back from the memory of that amazing night but could not seem to drag her eyes from Alex. A small sigh escaped her as she recalled the reason why he was over there and she was at the table with her brothers pretending he didn't exist.

At the start of their relationship they had decided to keep it a secret in order for the others not to interfere and for them to come to terms with their feeling for each other. But even as they grew more and more sure of those feeling the other 2 couples seemed to fall apart in front of their eyes.

So instead of flaunting their relationship in front of their miserable friends they had decided to keep it hidden and hope that they would find their way back to each other. After three months, Isabel was starting to worry that maybe her friends would never get back together.

With another inaudible sigh she turned back to her brothers and pretended to be interested in their conversation. All the while she physically aware of her boyfriend only a few feet away.

Alex had felt Isabel’s eyes on him and he knew that her thoughts were echoing his own. During the last two months it had crept up quite frequently in their conversations with each other. But then they would see one of their friends and it would reaffirm their need for secrecy.

He hated that they were sneaking around to be with each other. Going out on dates outside of town and accidently meeting each other at the movies or library was getting old fast for them both. All though he had to admit he did enjoy the time they spent in the eraser room at school.

Looking over his shoulder at her, Alex was once again struck, as he always was, by her beauty. He still could not believe that she had chosen him to trust and let in pass her defenses.

Since that night she had opened up so much to him, they had been able to talk about anything and everything. They had grown comfortable with each other and life was going great for them. Except for the fact that he was unable to shout it from the roofs that he was in love with Isabel Evans.

Glancing down at his watch he realized it was getting late so he looked up and called out to Liz and Maria, “I got to get home and do some homework. See you at school tomorrow.”

With a wave of his hand at them he stood from his stool, turning he caught Isabel’s eye and gave her a small nod before he left the diner to begin the walk home.

Seeing his nod Isabel knew that she couldn’t go any longer without being with Alex, if only for a few minutes. She quickly slipped from the booth and told her brother’s goodbye before following the object of her affection out the door.

It didn’t take long for her to catch up with his long stride and to fall into an easy pace beside him. Alex didn’t seem surprised that she was there but instead he just smiled at her and continued to walk.

Soon they found themselves walking through the park only to stop when they came upon a grove of trees that concealed them from prying eyes. Without a word they fell into each others arms as their lips met in a kiss that left them both breathless.

Finally, when they were in need of oxygen, both pulled back to look at each other with huge smiles on their faces.

“Missed me?” Alex joked as he pulled her tighter against him.

Isabel nodded before pressing kisses along his neck, “It’s getting harder to sneak around.”

He agreed with her, “So do we tell everyone?”

She sighed and leaned back in his brace to look him in the eyes. Isabel never got tired of looking into those gorgeous twinkling green eyes, “I want to so badly, Alex.”

He nodded as he rubbed a hand in a comforting caress across her back, “I just hate seeing them so unhappy. I wish there was something we could do to bring them back together again.”

Isabel frowned and then cried out as an idea hit her, “That’s it, Alex! That’s our solution!”

It was his turn to frown at her in confusion, “What is?”

“We need to get them back together, “She jumped up and down with excitement.

Alex couldn’t help himself and chuckled at her antics. She was just so cute in her excitement.”How do we accomplish that?”

“Easy.” she smiled at him and he almost melted into a puddle right at her feet. He often felt this way when she would turn those pearly whites in his direction, “We are going to play cupid.”

“Hmmm. I don’t know how I would look in my underwear while toting a bow and arrow.” Alex joked and laughed.

Isabel reached out and caressed his chest with her hand. She could actually feel when his heart raced at her gentle touch, “I would think you would look adorable.”

He blushed at her remark, not knowing how to respond back to it. She chuckled at Alex before continuing, “All we need is a plan and then we get them back together. Once that’s accomplished then we will finally go public.”

“Okay.” he finally managed to say to her, “Let’s get them back together. I can’t wait to be able to hold your hand in public.”

Isabel smiled whiled wrapping her arm around his neck and pulling him closer, “As long as we are still doing this in private I will be one happy girl.”

Their lips found their way back to each other and this time it was a long time before they came up for air.

Alex waited at his locker knowing that both Maria and Liz would soon meet him. Prom was only a week away and he and Isabel were still trying to get the others back together and happy but so far no opportunity seemed to present itself.

In the meantime he had gotten his tux and Isabel had hinted that he would absolutely love the dress that she had picked for the special occasion. They both had come to the agreement that if the others were not back together before the dance then they would just go ahead and reveal their secret to everyone and worry about the consequences later.

‘Hey Alex” Liz smiled as she headed toward him, “You coming to the Crashdown tonight?”

He nodded and shut his locker door, “Aren’t we all their after school?”

Liz sighed and closed her eyes, “It wouldn’t be so bad if Max didn't show up everyday.”

“So what’s going on with you two? One minute you are starring into each others eyes and then the next your avoiding each other like the plague.”

She shrugged.

“You still love him don’t you?” he prompted her.

Liz nodded and whispered so that he had to strain to hear her, “I’ve never stopped and I don’t think I ever will.”

“Then you need to talk with him and work whatever this is out.”

She looked down not meeting his eyes, ‘It’s not that easy, Alex. We just can’t be together.”

He frowned at the sadness that he heard in her voice and he realized that their was something more than what she was saying . There was something that was keeping Max and Liz from being together.

“What’s going on, Liz? What secret are you keeping now?”

Liz looked up at him surprised that he had guessed that there was something that she was keeping from them. Although she should have known that Alex knew her so well that sooner or later he would have realized that something was up.

Glancing around the crowded hallway she sighed, “Let’s not talk here, okay?”

Alex nodded, “let’s go out to the bleachers.”

An hour later, Alex knew the whole story about Future Max and the reason behind her sudden break up with the present Max, “So you are giving up your happiness because of this?”

Liz nodded, ‘I can’t be the reason for the destruction of so many lives, Alex.”

“And so you had Max catch you in bed with Kyle?” Alex asked incredulously.

“It was the only way to get him to give up on the idea of us.” Liz brushed her dark hair from her face, “Don’t you see that I had no choice?”

Alex remained quiet for a moment before speaking, “you know you may have changed the future, Liz, but what kind of future will it be? I mean with your decision you could have sped up the process or created something even more unthinkable.” he took her hand in his, “No one knows the future, Liz. I believe that we change our future every day by the choices we make so whose to say that because of the knowledge you now possess that you would make the same ones?” Alex shook his head, “I don’t think you have to give up Max because of this, Liz. If you talk to him and tell him the future changes again.”

Liz nodded knowing her friend made sense but she was also scared to find out, “I just don’t think I can take that chance, Alex.”

He sighed and ran a hand frustratingly through his hair, “I never thought of you as a coward, Liz. So go fight for what you want.”

Isabel looked longingly at the prom poster wondering what would happen when she entered the dance on the arm of her boyfriend. She smiled as she remembered the dream she had entered a few nights before of Alex’s and found him dreaming about that very thing. He was just as anxious as she was to finally come out about their relationship.

“What are you smiling about?” Michael frowned as he walked up to her before noticing what she was looking at, “So who is the lucky guy who is taking you to that shinding?”

She shrugged her shoulders making no comment then asking him, “Are you going to ask Maria?”

“Hell no!’ he barked at her before looking contrite and running a hand through his messy hair.

“Why not Michael? I know you really care for Maria and for some reason she cares for you too.”

“You know we said we would not get involved with the humans.” he whispered to her in the crowded hallway.

“Forget about that, Michael.” she shook her head trying not to think how she had broken that rule months ago, “They are already involved. We can’t go back and change that day in the Crashdown. I don’t think I would want to because that incident brought us three of the most loyal friends who would protect our secret.”

Michael gave a short nod, “Yeah and what have we given them in return? Nothing but heartache.”

“That’s what relationships are, Michael. Every couple has their ups and downs and especially you and Maria. But just think about all those good times that you do spend together. The bad times are worth it just to get to the good stuff.” Isabel hoped she got through to her big lunk headed brother.

Michael looked at the prom picture again before letting out a sigh, “Even if I wanted to ask her I couldn’t.”

“Why not?” she asked frustrated. Isabel had really thought she had convinced him to go for it with her feisty petite friend.

He mumbled something as he turned away from her causing her to frown, “What did you say?”

“I said I don’t know how to dance.” he whispered again to her.

Isabel felt her face light up as she realized that this was something she could definitely fix, “No problem we can take care of that.”

Michael turned and looked at her, “Your serious?”

She nodded, “You ask Maria to the prom and I will teach you some basic dance steps to get you through the night.”

He looked up at the poster before coming to a decision, “You got a deal.”

Alex stood in the flower shop trying to decided on the right flower for Isabel’s corsage. It took him awhile to settle on the three roses with baby breaths as well as the boutonniere for himself. He had a feeling that whatever Isabel was wearing when he picked her up would knock him off his feet so he knew he needed to make the right choices in the one task he was provided.

As he was waiting for his purchase to be arranged, Alex looked up to see Max walk in and for the usual somber Alien he was unbelievably happy. It didn’t take long for Isabel’s brother to spot him and come up to the register.

“Hey Alex. What are you doing here?”

“Last minute things for the prom.” Alex said vaguely not wanting his girlfriends boyfriend to ask anymore questions, ‘How about you?”

Max smiled again, “I asked Liz to the prom and she said yes.”

Alex returned the smile thinking that maybe his pep talk had worked, “That’s great, Max!”

The alien king nodded as he glanced at the flowers, “I still can’t believe that she agreed.”

“So you talked?”

Again he nodded as Max picked up an orchid and took in it’s exotic scent, “Yes and we talked for a long time which ended with me asking her to the dance.”

Alex smiled, “Well that’s great news for you both.”

He just couldn’t wait to tell Isabel the news. Two down, Two to go.

Isabel met Alex at the park in their spot and after a brief but passionate kiss he told her about running into Max at the flower shop.

She hugged him in happiness, ‘We did it!”

Alex grinned at her enthusiasm, “Now all we have to do is get Michael and Maria together.”

“Done.” she smiled coyly at him.

‘Done? What do you mean?”

“Exactly that.” Isabel wrapped her arms around him just loving the feeling of being so close to him, “I spoke with Michael. Made a deal. Now he is asking Maria to the prom.”

Alex frowned, “What deal?”

“It wasn’t a bribe, sweetie. I just agreed to teach him how to dance so that he could ask her.”

Alex couldn’t help but laugh out loud, “You are teaching Michael?”

Isabel nodded, “Just some basic steps. We are meeting this afternoon at his apartment.”

“This afternoon?” at her nod he looked down at his watch, “I guess that doesn’t leave us much time together.”

She shook her head in disappointment but held on to the hope that after tomorrow they could be together anytime with none of the sneaking around.

Alex nodded before wrapping his arms back around her, “Then I say we make the most of the time we do have.”

Isabel couldn’t help but agree as he pulled her into one of his mind altering kisses that left her clinging to him for support.

Liz and Maria were at the mall later that evening looking for last minute prom dresses. They were both excited since just a few days ago they had been planning to stay in that night watching movies and stuffing their faces with ice cream.

“Can you believe that Michael Guerin asked me to the prom?”Maria giggled

“I know and Max and I are going together.” Liz smiled at her best friend still surprised with how everything was turning out, ‘I am so glad that Alex talked me into speaking to Max.”

Maria nodded, “You were holding a lot in, Chica.”

For the next half hour they went through rack after rack of dresses until they finally found the perfect ones to compliment their perfect night with their guys.

“So how did you get Michael to ask you?” Liz wondered as they headed back to Maria’s car their arms loaded down with their purchases.

“Actually it was Isabel.”

“Isabel?” Liz frowned as she looked over at Maria.

“Seems they had a talk and she convinced him that he was being a jerk.”

The brunette laughed, “She’s good if she convinced him of that.”

Maria nodded thoughtfully, “Remind me to ask her how she did it for future reference.”

“So Alex and Isabel both had a hand in our happiness?”

“Yep” Maria opened the car for them and after putting their bags in the back seat they drove from the mall.

Liz sat quietly for a few minutes deep in thought, “Do you know who Alex and Isabel are going to the prom with?”

Maria looked over at Liz and shook her head, “I really haven’t seen either one too much lately.”

“Well I hate to think that they are unhappy while we reap the benefits of their match making."

“I guess we will see tomorrow at the prom.”

Isabel sat at her vanity in her room as she finished pulling her hair into the up sweep style that she knew Alex would love. He had a fondness for her neck and tonight she planned to give him plenty opportunity for placing his lips there.

“So what do you think?” Max called from her open door and she turned to find him standing there in his tux.

“You look very nice, Max” She smiled at him so happy to see him excited about the coming night, “Liz will love you.”

Max blushed hoping his sister was right. He truly wanted to make the night memorable for the girl he loved, “So....I never asked who you were going with?”

Isabel smiled again but this time mysteriously as she returned to her vanity, “You will see at prom.”

Max stood there for a moment debating whether he should press his sister for more information. Finally he gave a short nod letting her have this secret. He just hoped that Isabel hadn’t agreed to go with some brainless jock, “Well I’m off to pick up Liz and do the picture thing with her parents.”

Isabel laughed knowing that in less than an hour she would be going through the same torture with her own parents, “See you later then.”

He gave a wave of his hand before leaving her to finish primping in the mirror. He knew his sister and it would take her hours to get everything perfect before she would step outside of the house.

Once her brother left Isabel got up from her chair and made her way to her bedside. Opening the drawer to her night stand she found one of her most treasured items. A picture of Alex and herself that they had taken a few months ago on a spur of the moment picnic in the desert. He had set the camera on a timer and they had wrapped their arms around each other while gazing into each others eyes.

She had hidden the picture only pulling it out on occasion and before bed each night. Now after tonight and the prom she would keep it by her bedside for always.

Half an hour later she was finished dressing and just about to step into her satin heels when the door bell rang. Her heart raced with the knowledge that Alex had finally arrived and this was the moment they had been waiting for. Once the door opened and her parents saw who her date was their secret would no longer be hidden in the shadows.

She gave herself one more check in the mirror before grabbing her small purse and walked down the stairs. Nearly half way down she over heard Alex in the living room making small talk with her parents but once he sensed her presence he turned toward her.

Alex was blown away by her beauty as he saw her standing on the last step. She was wearing a strapless red dress that hugged every curve of her body, “Wow!”

Isabel chuckled at his response before moving toward him and pressing a kiss to his lips as he stood their still stunned. At that exact moment she heard the camera flash and pulled back to look at her smiling parents, “MOM!”

Seeing her expression caused Alex to chuckle as he wrapped his arm around her. For the next ten minutes they spent in every pose imaginable for the camera before he slipped the corsage onto her wrist. He knew he had picked the right flowers when she began to gush about how pretty they were.

Finally they were allowed to leave as he took her hand, wrapped it in the crook of his elbow, and escorted her outside. There sitting on the curb was a white stretch limo waiting just for them.

“Your chariot awaits, my lady.” He whispered as he guided the stunned Isabel down the steps and to the open door of the car where the chauffeur waited.

Isabel giggled with happiness as she climbed in followed by Alex. When the door shut they were finally alone and he brought her hand to his lips.

“You look so beautiful.”

She reached up and straightened his tie, “You look quit dashing yourself in that tux.”

Alex leaned over and placed his lips over hers for a slow lingering kiss. When he pulled back he smiled at her, “Are you ready for this?”

Isabel leaned her forehead against his knowing what he was referring too, “”I am so ready.”

He lifted her head and looked into her eyes, ‘I love you, Isabel Evans.”

She let out a small gasp at his heartfelt words. Many times over the last few months they had hinted at their feeling for each other but neither had come out and admitted it. Slowly she smiled and caressed her fingers across his cheek.

“I love you too, Alex Whitman.”

He hadn’t realized he had been holding his breath until he released a long sigh and smiled with happiness. Isabel Evans loved him. Right then he could have jumped for joy.

Instead he watched her reach over to the consol and press the button to raise the divider between them and the driver. It would be some time before they would say anything else to each other.

A few hours later after a dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in Roswell and a make out session in the back of the limo, Isabel and Alex finally arrived at the school gymnasium. They were both excited but a little nervous about their public “coming out”.

Inside, Liz and Maria sat talking with their dates both smiling with happiness over being with the one they cared for. Both of them had arrived at the same time and had instantly congregated at a empty table to talk about each other’s dress’ and the guys tuxes while Michael and Max went to get them all punch.

Returning Max set his dates drink in front of her and glanced around the crowded room, “Has anyone seen Isabel?”

Michael frowned as he sat down beside Maria, “Who is bringing her?”

The other 3 shrugged as he looked at each of them. None of them had heard who the tall bloonde would be with tonight. They all just hoped it wasn’t some guy who would just use her for arm candy.

A murmur arose above the music and all four of them turned to see what was causing the commotion. From what they could tell someone was causing quite a stir at the entrance to the gymnasium.

“Who is it?” Liz asked as she rose from her chair hoping to catch a glimpse through the throng of people.

“Oh My God!” Maria cried loudly, her eyes widening at the sight before her.

Standing together just inside the entrance, with huge smiles plastered on their faces and holding hands, was Alex and Isabel.

Max couldn’t help the chuckle that passed through his lips, “I guess we now know who they are going to the prom with.”

Alex and Isabel felt everyone’s eyes on them as they entered the room. Their hearts raced in anticipation as they stood their glorying in their “coming out.”

Isabel scanned the crowd finally spotting their friends who also were watching them, “Over there.”

Alex smiled as she gripped his hand tighter and pulled him alongside of her as they made their way through the crowd. He was a little nervous about what their friends reaction would be but knew in the end they would be happy for them.

“Hey” Isabel smiled as she came up to the table happy to see that Alex and her matchmaking attempts had actually worked and they were all together again.

“Hi” Maria grinned up at the standing couple almost bursting with questions that she wanted to ask. Instead she, along with the other three, continued to sit there in silence waiting for an explanation.

Alex hadn’t seemed to notice the stares from everyone when they had walked in a few minutes earlier, but now with their friends eyes on them, Alex had never felt more uncomfortable. Sensing his distress, Isabel leaned closer to him and wrapped a protective arm around his waist. He couldn’t help the smile that spilt his face when he felt her give him a small comforting squeeze.

“Sooo.” Liz started as she watched the couples interplay with each other, “When did this happen?”

Isabel’s face lit up once again as her heart filled with pride over being Alex’s girlfriend, “A few months ago.”

Max frowned, “A few months ago? You mean you have kept your relationship with Alex a secret for the last few months?”

She stiffened at the harshness of her brother’s tone causing Alex to wrap his own arm protectively across her shoulders. She knew that there would be questions and that she and Alex would have to answer but Isabel was hoping that maybe she could put it off for the night and just enjoy being with her friends and boyfriend. “Alex and I have been dating secretly for about three months.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Maria finally questioned looking at her male friend for answers.

Alex sighed, “At first it was because we wanted to see if a relationship would actually work between us. We didn’t want outside influences to come between us when everything was still new and fragile.”

Isabel looked over at him and gave a secretive smile as she thought of those first few weeks together. They had talked about anything and everything for hours while they spent any free moment they had together.

“Then you guys broke up and became all miserable that we didn’t feel like it was right to flaunt our happiness in front of you.” she smiled, “so we schemed and got you back together.”

They were all surprised to hear Michael laugh out loud, “That sounds just like you, Iz. You can’t be happy until everyone else is.”

Alex also chuckled, “For awhile there we were afraid getting you four together was near impossible. But we had decided if you weren’t together by tonight we would tell you anyway.”

Liz arose from her chair and place a kiss on Alex’s cheek, “I’m so happy for you.” she turned and gave Isabel a hug as well.

It didn’t take long for Maria to also jump up and give the couple her congratulations in hugs and gave a jab to Michael’s shoulder to get him to do the same. Max was the only one who stood their quietly seeming upset still over the whole episode. Alex was the one who broke the silence.

“Listen let’s not get into this anymore tonight. Let’s just enjoy the prom and our time together. There is enough time later for questions.”

Max looked at his sister and Alex noticing how they both seemed protective of the other. There was no way he would be able to say or do anything to them tonight, “Okay, but this doesn’t let you off the hook.”

Isabel smiled at her friends before taking Alex’s hand back in hers and looking him in the eyes, “Let’s dance”

Alex nodded, gave a wave goodbye to the others, and followed Isabel to the center of the dance floor where they fell effortlessly into each others arms. She rested her chin on his shoulder as they held each other tight in the middle of the crowded floor, swaying to the soft romantic music playing.

“Well that went well.” Alex murmured against her ear a few minutes later.

Isabel gave a slight nod as she looked over his shoulder at their friends who were still at the table, “I am just happy to finally let everyone know we are together.”

“You know...” he started as he pulled her closer, “now that we are in a crowd, I just want to be alone with you.”

She chuckled and rubbed a hand down his back in a caress, “I feel the same”

Alex pulled back slightly to look into her eyes, “So what do you say we get our picture take, dance to a few more songs and then get out of here?”

“I say that sounds perfect” Isabel whispered before leaning in to him and pressing her lips to his. As the kiss deepened the crowd around them seemed to disappear until it was just the two of them.

The End?