Leap of Faith (AU,ML,Mature) Completed

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

You guys are awesome!!

FSU/MSW-94 – Thank you for letting me bounce the ideas off…even though my muse decided to go off in her own direction towards the end. Hey, I still got there just a different route.
Earth2Mama - Sweetie, I think you missed a part :wink:
guelbebek
jamy21
sprayadhesive
begonia9508
roswell3053
clueless
Ellie
alizaleven
frenchkiss70
candycane14

Behrsgurl*87
Martine
Dreamer06
LairaBehr4
Flyawayraven
BehrObsession

IzzyEvans2201_PuertoRico
Orphyfets - *waves* – glad you took the time to read and happy to see you are enjoying this. Thanks!
mareli
Michelle in Yonkers - *waves* to you too…hope it didn’t take too long to catch up, but I’m thankful nevertheless. I know what you mean about M&M, but well you’ll just have to read and find out. Thanks!
Mariael311
Queen Fee
Alien614

Lorastar – I’ve actually met several friends from online, in person. It was a fun experience to say the least, and we got to watch on a big screen Jason’s bear booty…good times indeed! *waves* by the way
Crusty Nut
Oz – First of all welcome…secondly sorry for the lack of sleep and third…glad you’re enjoying this. Thank you!
Lurkers

Okay guys…I spent the greater part of two days working on this update. Mainly because I’m trying to pack and fill out loads of paper work, all the while trying to avoid the cult chanting of my neighbors upstairs. Did I mention I can’t wait to move??

Anyways, thank you for the incredible feedback, it means so much to me, because not only do I put so much time into the updates, but I put a lot of myself into these characters. Hope you enjoy…and there are only 3 parts left :(

Chapter Eleven

<center>Feels Like Tonight</center>

“Did I do good?” he asked, just above a whisper, heatedly against her neck. She nodded against him, pulling him closer, loving the feel of his body pressed against hers.

“I think I deserve something for keeping my mouth shut.” The teasing in his voice caused a laugh to bubble forth and he pulled back at the sound, eyes narrowed.

“Come on Maria, say it,” he pressed on, pulling her back against the wall. They only had a few minutes before Liz came downstairs. She loved teasing him. It was so easy.

“Michael, I don’t know what you think you earned. I will say this much though, thank you for not telling Max and giving Liz the opportunity.”

Michael pulled away and looked down at her, his eyes almost piercing hers. She couldn’t help the shiver that traveled up her spine. What was it about Michael…whatever his last name was, that made her feel things she’d never felt with anyone else?

“I thought about what you said and I realized that Liz wasn’t a malicious person, at least she didn’t seem like it, and I figured whatever it was, was a good enough reason for her not to tell Max about Jeremy. Now, about that kiss.”

Kiss?

“What ki—” Maria never did finish that sentence, Michael’s lips descended upon hers and she couldn’t help but sigh against his mouth. No one ever kissed her the way he had.

Maria wrapped her arms around his neck, dug her fingers into his hair and willed her heart to slow down. It was going too fast, too soon and she knew it was senseless, since, after all, she was leaving town in a little over a week.

“Michael,” she panted as she broke their embrace; he however decided he hadn’t gotten enough of her, and began kissing the side of her neck.

“You know, I think you talk too much. We have other, more important things we could be doing with our free time,” he muttered against her neck as he bit gently into the skin. Maria couldn’t help but smile and let him continue on his quest, what harm could come from it?

It wasn’t as if this was anything serious.

<center>****</center>

“So where are you and Michael going?” Liz asked from the living room. It was a quarter to six and Max was due with Trevor in twenty minutes. She was nervous but anxious all the same.

“Honestly, I’m not sure.”

“Don’t give it up on your first date.” Liz said with a bright smile plastered on her face.

“Don’t feed me my words of caution. I know how to handle guys like Michael.” Maria sounded convincing enough, but Liz knew better. Knowing that Max and Michael were best friends, led her to believe that Michael wasn’t anything like the kind of guys Maria was used to dating.

“Really? So that hot and heavy make-out session I walked in on this afternoon, was…?” Liz stood and crossed the room to stand behind Maria, who was perusing herself in the mirror, near the door.

“Liz, that was nothing. I mean, so we made out. It’s not my fault I’m irresistible to the man.” Maria blushed and Liz eyed her carefully.

“You really like him don’t you? Already, I know it’s soon, trust me there’s something about the guys of Roswell that get under your skin.” Liz said speaking from her own experience with Max.

It might have been too soon, but that didn’t mean she could turn off her feelings. How could she, when it’d been so long since she’d felt anything at all?

Maria sighed and walked over to the couch, dropping herself onto the arm of it and nodded her head in assent.

“What does he think about it?” Maria lifted one shoulder in response.

“So, this could get complicated. I think you should have fun though,” Liz said the words, but had a hard time believing they left her mouth.

Maria must have felt the same way because she looked up at her friend in cautious disbelief.

“Don’t look at me like that. I’m trying really hard to be normal, whatever that means. And today, I guess, when I saw you and Michael I realized for the first time that I wanted that. Even if it’s only for a little while, I still want it. Is that weird?” Liz asked, unsure of her feelings, not for the first time.

“Liz, what you’re feeling for Max is normal. Granted it takes some people months to decide how they really feel about someone, but you and Max have a different dynamic working.”

“Different how?” she asked clearly not understanding Maria’s theory on life, once again.

“Liz, Max has a son, you have a son. You both went through trying times, maybe you more so than he, but without splitting hairs, it was still hard. You both don’t have time for the normal games people who are on the dating scene play. This is real life for you guys. Real feelings. You can’t tamper with that, it’s like a…a…sacrilege or something!” Maria waved her arms in the air dramatically.

Liz nodded her head, realizing that Maria was right, even if she didn’t understand everything she’d said. She and Max both had children, and they were old enough, lived through enough, to not lie about how they really felt. They didn’t see the point in covering up their feelings and pretending to play the game, as Maria had so eloquently put it.

Liz already knew Trevor, and Liz knew that Max would not bring her into his son’s life under false pretenses.

“Now, how do I really look?” Maria stood and twirled around in her plum colored, knee length dress, with matching heels.

“You look great! Although, I don’t think you’ll be wearing the dress for very long.”

“Liz!” It was Liz’s turn to blush at her own words.

“I can’t help it! He looked like he was swallowing your face!” Liz couldn’t help but break into laughter at the expression on Maria’s face.

“You know Liz, you’ll learn that when a guy looks like he’s swallowing your face, it’s not such a bad thing.” With that Maria winked at her and then turned to walk out the front door.

Before she left though, she peeked her head inside and said, “Liz?”

“Yeah?” she called back.

“Don’t let Max swallow your face tonight.”

“Maria!”

“What? I’m just warning you, because when he looks at you, I get the impression he wants to do more than just swallow your face!” With that the door slammed closed and Liz placed her hands on her cheeks, willing the burning blush to subside.

Did she really want Max to kiss her, the way Michael was kissing Maria?

Liz thought that over for a minute before she realized she was thinking inappropriate thoughts. Of course she wanted Max to kiss her, but like that?

No.

It would be too soon.

There was that word, or rather words, again, she thought.

Max knew her entire life story, and she knew most of his, which meant that they did know each other enough.

But to kiss that intensely required a lot of feelings, didn’t it?

Frustrated with her line of thinking and her lack of experience, she pulled herself up to check on dinner.

At least with cooking, she knew she couldn’t go wrong.

<center>****</center>

Max watched her across the table. Dinner was great, everything was great, but was it wrong to want more?

He thought for a moment, he truly was selfish. He wanted more with Liz, this soon. He didn’t care anymore. Time was just that, time. It’s length and significance lied in the eye of the beholder.

To him, Liz was everything he’d wanted in another person.

She needed time, his mind reminded him.

Time was one thing he was willing to give, for her. Just her. Only her.

“Daddy, what’s that green stuff that looks like trees but they’re not brown?” Trevor asked and Max couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Little man, you know what that is.”

“It’s broccoli. Do you not like that?” Liz asked, trying to hide her smile. Max wondered what was going on in her mind.

“Grandma only gives me peas and what’s those other things? They’re long and green too,” Trevor paused looking up to Liz for an answer.

“Those are green beans, honey. How about I put a little something on the broccoli for you?”

“What?” he asked, as any curious child would. But Max knew his son. His mother had tried it all to get him to eat broccoli. He didn’t like it. Never did in fact.

Liz excused herself from the table and went to the stove, pulling a pot off and then pouring a clear, thick liquid into a small cup. Returning to the table a minute later, not only was Trevor curious as to what Liz had, Max was equally intrigued.

A moment later Liz was pouring the unknown liquid over Trevor’s broccoli and then urged him softly to try it.

Trevor eyed the broccoli indecisively, but then dug his fork into it and took a bite. It was sweet; it didn’t taste anything like it did all those other times his grandma made him eat it.

“Do you like it?” Liz asked Trevor, but turned her smiling eyes to Max, who sat in astonishment as his son devoured the vegetable every child hated at one time or another in their lives.

“It’s sweet,” Trevor responded between bites. For the remainder of dinner he sat in silence eating.

“Maybe I need to get that secret recipe from you.” Max said later that evening, as he helped Liz wash the dishes. She’d insisted that he need not help, but he liked spending time with her, so he offered to dry.

“Oh, you think I would just give it to you, if you asked?” Liz tried not to blush at her flirting, Max could tell, but it made him fall even more for her.

“I think if I’m patient you’ll give me everything I want.” Max said, and then realized the multitude of meanings his words could take on.

“I didn’t mean that…I mean…I did…but….” He stumbled over his words but Liz turned and eyed him carefully, pining him with a glance that caused the air to rush from his lungs.

“I know what you mean. But, I think I’ll save that secret for our cooking lesson.”

Max smiled, she wasn’t upset, and she didn’t read more into the implications of his words. Although, a part of him, a very big part of his being wanted everything with her, he would be patient just as he’d told her.

They stood facing one another, not a word passing, and he wanted to pull her into his arms, he physically ached for it. It wasn’t sexual, he thought, it was more than that. It was the simple, unadulterated fact that he craved to be near her.

The shrill of Jeremy awakening from his long nap pierced the air between them.

“Excuse me. Looks like someone wants their dinner now.” Liz smiled and moved around Max. He took a deep breath, taking in her scent. Light, fresh, and a hint of baby powder, he smiled.

He decided to wait for Liz in the living room where his son was watching cartoons, while he waited patiently or rather as patient as he could be for Liz’s dessert to be served.

“Is the cake done?” he asked the second Max walked into the room.

“Not yet. Trev, daddy has to talk to you about something for a minute.” It was now or never, Max had yet to tell Trevor about Jeremy. He was sure, however, that it would all go over well.

“Is it about the baby crying? Cause I didn’t do anything.” Trevor played with the sleeve of his father’s shirt.” Max pulled Trevor into his lap and lowered the television.

“I know you didn’t. But it’s about the baby, Liz’s baby.”

“Liz has a baby? That means he’s smaller than me, right?” Max couldn’t help but chuckle softly.

“Yes, she does champ. And yes, he’s smaller than you. He’s only three months old, so he’s very little. And his name is Jeremy.”

Max watched his son, gauging his reaction, when he received none he wasn’t sure what he’d expected. Was he upset? Did it not make a difference? Maybe, Max thought too far into Trevor’s feelings for Liz. Maybe he just liked her, but there was no attachment, yet.

That wasn’t such a bad thing at all. In fact, it allowed his relationship with Liz to take the slower pace she needed.

In that next moment Liz entered the room, Jeremy perched up on her shoulder and she looked to him hesitantly. Max smiled with assurance at her and inched over on the couch, making room for her, and her son.

<center>****</center>

She was nervous, really nervous. It wasn’t as if Max didn’t know she had a son, he’d already seen him, but this was different. The environment and circumstances were different.

When she’d taken a seat next to him and Trevor on the couch, she immediately felt at ease. How did he make her feel so comfortable with just a smile, she wondered giddily.

“Is that your baby?” Trevor asked from his place on his father’s lap.

Liz turned Jeremy in her arms, so that he faced both Max and Trevor. “Yes. Trevor meet Jeremy.” Trevor’s eyes lit up at the sight of the small bundle in Liz’s arms.

“Oh, he’s so little, daddy said he would be little, but he’s really little. Can I hold him?” Trevor asked anxiously, looking first to Liz then to his father.

Max looked at Liz for permission, to which she nodded her head.

“How about you sit between your father and me, that way I can put Jeremy in your lap to hold him?” Liz said as Max moved Trevor into position. His eyes were fixed on the baby.

Liz then placed Jeremy in his arms, as Max guided Trevor on how to hold the baby. Trevor’s face grew serious for a moment before he looked up to Liz in question.

“What’s wrong?” she asked softly.

“Does he drink milkshakes too?” Liz screwed her eyebrows together in confusion, but shook her head.

“No, he’s still too small. He can’t have those for a little while.”

“Oh. Okay,” Trevor said and then looked back down at the baby and smiled.

“Daddy, he’s smiling at me.”

Max leaned over his son and looked down, and sure enough Jeremy was smiling up at his son.

“He’s never seen a baby up close, let alone held one before.” Max spoke to Liz above his son’s head.

“I figured as much. Up until three months ago, neither did I. I can understand his…his…”

“Awe?” Max finished for her.

“Yes. Exactly.” Liz smiled shyly and then since her heart had decided it wanted out of her chest, she looked back down and focused her attention on Jeremy and Trevor.

An hour later, Trevor was settled on the living room floor, playing with the toys he’d brought over with him. Liz and Max were settled on the couch; Jeremy sat in his seat at the foot of the couch. Max placed his arm behind her and she relaxed against him, watching a re-run episode of Friends.

“I missed all the seasons, so this is the only time I get to catch them. They’re not in order so half the time I’m trying to figure out who is with who, but I like it anyway.” Liz said as she tried hard to focus on the television and not Max. His scent and warmth drew her in, causing her to lose most of the logical parts of her mindset. She really wanted him to kiss her, as inappropriate as it would have been with Trevor sitting right in front of them.

“I can honestly say I’ve only seen a handful of episodes.”

“Not masculine enough for you?” she quipped lightly and he laughed. He really did have a beautiful smile.

“No. Not if you think Sponge Bob is more masculine than Friends,” he responded with a smile tugging on his lips.

“Uhm, no I’d say I’ve got you beat there.” She tilted her head up to face him, and fought to unglue her eyes from his lips.

What the hell was wrong with her!

Max leaned in a moment later, she froze and thought, he was going to kiss her! He was finally going to press his warm lips, because she knew they’d be warm, to hers. She would finally get to feel…

“I think he was a little jealous of Jeremy,” he said breaking her from her reverie.

She snapped up and leaned back a little to regard him. “Why do you say that?” she asked just as softly.

“Because he asked about the milkshake. There was a little territorial hint to his voice when he asked. I know my son, and if you’d said Jeremy could, then Trevor would have had a problem with it.” Max smiled down at her and she swallowed thickly, not taking in the full severity of what he’d just told her.

If she had, she would have realized that Trevor wasn’t the only Evans that had already fallen for her.

<center>****</center>

“What do you mean it won’t start?” Maria asked as the rain clouds rolled in above them. They were at least an hour from Roswell and in the middle of the desert, and now Mrs. Harding’s car wouldn’t start. So much for a shopping extravaganza, she thought with mock amusement. She knew better, it was New Mexico, not New York; the word fashion was not in the vocabulary.

“Maria, I think when I’m referring to the car, it should be pretty self-explanatory when I say ‘it doesn’t start’.” Liz rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Well, what are we going to do? I missed class when they were discussing auto mechanics. Can we just call a tow truck?”

“Maria, not only do we not have any telephone reception, I don’t know where we are.”

“What?! You pulled over here, how could you not know where we are? I mean it’s the desert! I’m from Jersey; we have buildings and green grass, not…well…whatever the hell the desert has! Oh God! We’re going to get stung by those scorpion things and the snakes, there are snakes out here, oh hell and now it’s getting dark and it’s going to rain. We are as good as dead out here…” Maria continued to ramble on. She didn’t like the outdoors, she never went camping and she sure as hell didn’t take detours in the middle of the desert.

“Maria, in case you forgot, you were the one that wanted, ‘Out of Roswell’.” Liz got out of the car and waved her hands around.

“Is this far enough?” she let out brashly, and then began to laugh at the look on Maria’s face.

“And what, may I ask, is so funny? I see nothing humorous about being lost in this wasteland.” Maria crossed her arms over her chest, but looked at Liz now laughing against the side of the car, and couldn’t help but join in the hilarity of the situation.

“Don’t try and blame me, I didn’t tell you to pull off and use the restrooms in the middle of nowhere. If we’d just continued on we would be somewhere at least you knew.”

“Honestly, Maria who would have thought we’d find the only abandoned rest stop? I should have just pulled over. So now what? Do you have any ideas?” Liz asked, propping herself up on the hood of the car.

“Since we have no reception. I think we should try walking a little, lock the car up and if it starts to rain, we haul ass back here and wait until…well let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Maria didn’t want to think about spending the night in the car, in hopes that someone drove by before tomorrow. People did drive down this road, didn’t they, she wondered with a chill running up her spine. They had better.

Liz nodded and they proceeded to lock up the car, making sure the windows were all closed and then took off on foot quickly, hoping one of their cell phones would get reception within the next few minutes.

So much for a girl’s day out, next time they stay within the city limits of Roswell, Maria thought as she followed a footstep behind Liz, praying the rain didn’t come too soon.

<center>****</center>

Max knew he just saw Liz two days ago, and spoke to her that very morning, but would it hurt to see her again tonight?

He thought not.

Which is why he was on his way with both Michael and Trevor to the Crashdown. They’d just left his parents house after dinner and Max and Michael both decided they needed a little snack.

“So, how are things with Maria?” Max asked as he pulled into the parking space in front of the diner.

“They’re going. She’s leaving though, so ask me in a few days and I’ll be better able to answer that.” Michael joked and Max couldn’t help but laugh.

“Daddy, is Liz going to be here?” his son called from the backseat.

“Yes, she is.”

Michael turned to regard him. “How are things going in your neck of the woods?” Max couldn’t hide his smile.

“They’re going really good.”

At Trevor’s insistence they exited the car a moment later and walked through the front doors. Max quickly scanned the place but didn’t see Liz. Maybe she was in the back getting something, he thought with a smile. He couldn’t wait to see her.

They took a seat, in their now usual booth, he wondered if there was a reason why it was always empty. Maybe Liz had it reserved for him and Trevor, he thought with another sappy smile. He needed to get himself together.

“Hi, my name is…”

“Where’s Liz?” he couldn’t help but ask abruptly. He looked around again, and still no sign of her, where the hell was she? She’d told him just that morning she’d be working.

“Oh, ah, Liz isn’t here right now. Can I get you something to drink?”

Max narrowed his eyes in confusion and turned to Michael who looked equally as confused.

“Actually, is Patricia around?” The waitress eyed him curiously but nodded her head.

“I’ll go get her.”

“I wonder what’s up.” Michael took the words right out of his mouth. A minute later though Patricia came through the swinging back door, with Jeremy in her arms, looking a little distraught. Max’s heart sped up, something wasn’t right.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, standing, with Michael following his movements a second later.

“Maybe we should go to the back.” Mrs. Harding didn’t say another word, but suddenly the feeling of dread swept over Max. He tried to shake it off. In fact, the second, he, Michael and Trevor reached the back room; his heart literally froze in his chest.

“Max, this is…”

“Jim, what’s wrong?” Max asked one of his best friend’s father, and Sheriff.

“Right now we’re not really sure. Liz and Maria apparently left about nine hours ago, shopping, but no one has heard from them since.” Max swallowed thickly, willing his heart and mind to just slow down. There had to be a logical explanation for it. He turned to Michael, but Mrs. Harding was already leading Trevor upstairs with Jeremy in her arms.

“What do you mean? Have you called her cell phone? What about Maria’s?” he fired out the questions, even as he himself pulled out his own phone to call.

“Max, we did. Right now we have an APB out on the car and them. I’m sure they just ran out of gas or maybe the car broke down.” Max knew Jim was only trying to help but Max didn’t like it. He turned to Michael and asked him if he knew where they were going exactly.

“No. I mean, Maria mentioned a few stores that she’d found online and…” Michael and Max both froze and apparently had the same thought.

“The computer. It would have a history of wherever Maria looked at wouldn’t it?” he asked Michael, who knew far more about computers than he did.

“Yeah. Where’s it at?” he asked as Max turned and bolted up the stairs. He knew Liz only had one computer, and it was the laptop.

Knowing that he needed to keep in control and that he was probably panicking for nothing, he stopped just outside the door. He couldn’t let Trevor get upset, so he waited and then opened the door. No one was in sight though, but Liz’s laptop sat in the corner on her desk.

“Let me get to it.” Michael said breezing passed him. Max felt helpless, what if Michael didn’t find anything? What if they were lost or…no, he wouldn’t let his mind wander any further than them being lost and out of gas.

Yes. That was all it was.

“Can’t you go any faster?” Max asked, knowing that Michael was trying his best.

“Maxwell, relax. They’re women. They probably lost track of time and their cell phone batteries died out.” Michael said, and that made him feel infinitely better. In fact, that was more than likely the scenario.

After about ten minutes, Michael had pulled up the entire browsing history for the past three days.

“Okay, look, she went to this site twice, then she did a directions search. If I go there, it might have saved her last look up address.” It was the best shot they had, he thought as he turned and saw the Sheriff and Mr. Harding now standing in the room.

“You give me the address and I’ll send units to check there and the surrounding areas.” Jim Valenti said and Max felt better by the second. He’d known the Sheriff for seven years, ever since he’d opened his business.

“Got it! Looks like they would have taken the old highway, straight through, but…” Michael paused, once again causing Max to become unsettled. He wasn’t sure his nerves could handle much more of this.

“What?”

“They are doing construction on it. I thought Kyle mentioned that.” Max turned to the Sheriff.

“That’s right. They shut down the end, there’s a detour that leads you straight back to Roswell’s city limits. And there are only two rest stops there. If they did go that way, then we shouldn’t have any trouble finding them.” Both the Sheriff and Michael looked satisfied with the scenario.

Max however wouldn’t feel better until he saw Liz again. Not until he knew nothing happened to both her and Maria.

<center>****</center>

“It’s freezing in here. I thought this was the desert? Isn’t it supposed to be hotter than hell ninety-nine percent of the time?” Maria said hours later as they huddled together in the back seat of the car.

They had walked for half an hour before the rain began to pelt down on them; they had no choice but to head back. It was not only raining but also dark. It was bad enough being lost and having the shelter of a car, but being lost out in the middle of the desert with no shelter, was much worse.

“Maria, it gets chilly in the desert. The sun isn’t shining twenty-four hours a day. Now, we just need to hope that someone comes tonight. I might just freeze to death.” Liz said from under the blanket they’d found in the trunk of the car earlier.

“I’m hungry,” Maria grumbled and Liz couldn’t help but laugh.

“Again, I must be funnier when I’m starving.” Maria quirked up her eyebrow in confusion.

“I’m sorry. This is just bad, and I feel awful but honestly this is something that would never happen to me, if I wasn’t with you.”

“So now I’m bad luck?”

“No, Maria, you’re not. I have had so much fun with you, not just today, but ever since you got here. I never had that. I have no sisters or brothers, no one I could call a friend. So even though this sucks, and I really want to just hold my son and snuggle under the covers of my bed, I can’t be upset.” Liz smiled genuinely at her friend.

“You sure someone isn’t missing from that picture?” Maria asked knowingly and Liz blushed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Liz said, thankful the night sky hid her burning cheeks.

Maria dug through her purse and triumphantly pulled out a candy car and waved it up in the air.

“You’re making a draft!” Liz groaned out.

“I have sustenance!”

“You do? Where?” Liz pulled the covers from her head to see the brown wrapper of probably the best candy bar on the planet earth, a Snickers.

“You’re going to share that right?” Liz asked in a sweet voice.

“I think, you owe me an honest answer,” Maria teased.

“Are you kidding me? You’re going to let me starve if I don’t talk about Max?”

“Ah, I didn’t say that, but since we’re on the subject of Max, why don’t you tell me if he’s kissed you yet?”

“No,” she mumbled out and then made a grab for the candy bar.

“Ah, ah. He hasn’t swallowed your face yet? Well hell Liz, am I going to have to teach you everything?” Maria’s voice carried a smile Liz was sure she had on her face, even though she couldn’t see it.

“No. I’m not sure I’m his type.”

“His type? For what?”

“You know…kissing and stuff.” Liz shrugged in the dark.

“Kissing and stuff…well by stuff what exactly are we talking about?” Maria pulled the blanket off of them, revealing both their faces.

Liz looked out the window trying to avoid the subject. Maria wouldn’t hear of it, instead she reached out and tilted her head back to face her.

“Are you saying that you want to, well, do more than kiss with him?”

“I don’t know. But I can’t even get to the kissing part,” Liz tried not to whine, she truly did, but she was frustrated.

“I talked to my therapist and everything. I asked her if my feelings were typical.” Liz had decided to go back to therapy to try and work through her latest feelings. Mainly they had everything to do with Max.

“And she said?”

“Yes. She said that based on what I told her about Max, and about this entire situation that my feelings were on target. What does that mean?” Maria shrugged.

“I asked her the same thing. She said that just because I went through what I went through didn’t mean that my heart or my mind shut down. Maybe, she said, it has a lot to do with the fact that I wasn’t awake for most of my attack. I thought that was a good thing, so now I’m just stuck.”

“Stuck how sweetie?” Maria asked, pulling Liz’s head against her shoulder.

“I want things with Max, but only him. I don’t think that’s normal. Why him? Why after all this time, was it him? I could have met anyone online, Maria. Anyone. But it was him, and then it turns into this whole other experience when I find out he’s the guy that I saw from the diner. What are the odds?” It wasn’t a question and she was thankful Maria didn’t try and answer it.

“Liz, have you talked to Max about this?” She shook her head.

“I don’t know how. And you know he’s really easy to talk to, and I’m afraid I’ll say too much. What if, for him, this is going too fast? He said that we could take it as slow as I need to. And I do, need to take it slow. But I was thinking more like syrup than molasses.”

“I think you should just talk to him. I’m telling you, Max is crazy for you. Whether you want to admit it, or see it, it’s there. You’d have to be blind not to notice. And Trevor, bless his heart is in love with you.”

“You think so?” Liz smiled at the thought of Trevor. He held a very special place in her heart and life already.

“I know so. Liz, I know this isn’t easy and you can’t just pick up and act like you’re life before doesn’t matter. It’s who you are, it’s a big part of you and so I can understand the constrictions it puts on you. But, I really think you should just go with what feels right. We spend our whole lives trying to figure things out, so whether you choose today, or tomorrow, or next year, the struggle won’t end, and it won’t get easier.”

“When did you get so smart?” Liz asked teasingly.

“Please girl, I was born this way. And besides, every now and then we all have to throw caution to the wind, and go with the flow.” Maria smiled and Liz snatched the candy bar from her hands.

“Give it back! You still haven’t told me how you’re going to get Max to swallow your face!”

“I’m not telling, because I don’t have a plan and I don’t want to have my face swallowed! I just want a kiss! And I’m hungry!” Liz grumbled out as she tore at the wrapper, Maria however dove over her to snatch it back.

They struggled for a few minutes until the headlights of an oncoming truck illuminated the interior of the car, distracting Maria.

“We’re saved!” Maria shouted as Liz sunk her teeth into the sweet, chewy bar.

A minute later, the truck stopped, both Max and Michael climbed out.

“Oh, Juliet, it’s Romeo!” Maria said in a singsong voice as she climbed over the drivers seat as Max knocked on the window.

“Are you guys okay?” he asked, somewhat breathless.

Maria answered by opening the door, the rain poured in. Max kneeled down by the car to look for Liz.

“Don’t worry she’s back there. She stole my candy bar and is now devouring it,” she said and Liz just smiled and waved at Max. Then Maria added, “Without sharing!”

“I can’t help…you…got the…door,” Liz said between chewing. She was thirsty now and Max looked really good wet. Did she just think that? Obviously lack of food works wonders on the mind, she thought with a smile.

While Michael pulled Maria from the car to check over her even though she insisted she was fine and didn’t need a ‘pat down’, Max climbed into backseat with her.

Max eyed her for a minute, then she asked, “What, do I have chocolate on my face?” He couldn’t help but smile and pulled her into his lap.

“You had me so worried, you know that?” She shook her head and said, “Sorry.”

“Next time you go somewhere, you take my car,” he rushed out, pushing her hair away from her face. The candy bar she’d just eaten, long discarded somewhere on the seat beside them.

“Max, the car just stopped working and we…”

“I don’t care. I was so damn worried about you. I didn’t even know where you went for sure, and…it was hours. I felt like…like…” She watched him search for the words and then he paused and looked directly at her.

And then, just like she’d seen in the movies a thousand times, only this time was better because it was happening to her, he cupped her cheek, dragging his thumb over it gently, and then without any other warning he closed the distance between them and then…

Stopped

Liz was about to protest, openly, but instead Max pinned her with a serious look. She swallowed audibly.

“Is this too fast for you?” he asked and bent his head even closer to hers. She shook her head and waited until she felt his lips press against hers. Waited until she felt her first real kiss.

And then it came, sweet, moist, warm, and perfect.

It wasn’t until Max placed his hand at the base of her neck, tilting it so that he could slide his lips over hers, deeper, that she realized he was trying to swallow her face.

Suddenly, she thought getting her face swallowed wasn’t so bad after all, not bad at all.

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N- Okay everyone, the update is finally here, it's been done for a week but I haven't had any time to post it. I am working on 5 days until I move so things are very hectic for me. So all I can say is keep your eyes open for my random updates within this next week. That will be on both this story and the final chapter of Magic. Thank you all so much for the feedback and if I didn't need to run out of the house in about an hour I would thank you all personally!! Just know, I appreciate it and thank you for reading and sticking with me!!

Enjoy!!

Tanya

Chapter Twelve

<center>All I Need</center>

“Did you think about what I said last night?” Michael asked as Maria moved around Liz’s bedroom packing her suitcases.

“I did.”

“And?”

“Michael, what do you want me to say?” He wanted her to say she would stay; he wanted her to miss him, damn it! Was that too much to ask?

He’d talked Max’s ear off last night about today. Maria was leaving to go back to Jersey and they hadn’t known each other long enough for him to ask her what he’d asked her, but he couldn’t change the way he felt.

He was a self-proclaimed bachelor, he was not interested in getting involved in a serious relationship, but that was before Maria.

Michael stood and pulled her into his arms, wrapping them around her waist. He buried his head against her neck and breathed in her scent. He would miss her, he truly would. She was unlike anyone he’d ever met in his life and damn her for coming into his life. He was doing fine, dating any girl he wanted, having a good time and not looking for anything serious.

He pulled away and framed her face in his hands and took back every single word of it. It had only been two weeks, two short weeks that he’d known her, but it was enough for him.

He slept with girls he’d just met, so what was the difference if he wanted something more with someone he hadn’t slept with and only just met?

“Maria, I know…I don’t know…” he was at a loss for words.

“Michael, I know what you’re trying to say. I do. But I have a life back home, and a job and…” she paused and looked around the room and he followed her gaze to Liz’s dresser. There sitting right on top were pictures they’d taken on Thanksgiving. They’d had a really great time that day and the pictures were something Liz wanted to help her remember.

“I’m going to miss Liz and Jeremy, and Trevor and Max,” she looked at him seriously and said, “But most of all, I’m going to miss you.” Michael swallowed thickly before pulling her against him, his lips pressing roughly against hers; he didn’t want her to leave.

They were intense together and he was afraid that if she left, she’d never come back, not the same way. Of course she’d still remain Liz’s best friend, but what if she found someone else? What if she decided that while they were apart, she really didn’t have any true feelings for him?

What the hell was wrong with him? He never, in his entire life, cared if a woman had feelings for him or not. He pulled his lips away, ran his hands up her back and tilted her head up to stare directly into her green eyes.

“What?” she asked, breathless.

“Is this something? I mean, are we something? Or do you just go home and forget?” he asked, feeling unnaturally uncomfortable in his own skin. His feelings for her were too strong, too much, too soon.

“Michael, I—”

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Liz said as she swung open her bedroom door. Maria scrambled out of Michael’s grasp.

“No, that’s okay. We were just talking.”

“Right. Sorry. I just wanted to let you know that Max said we’d have to leave in about twenty minutes to get you to the airport in enough time.” With that Liz slipped back out the door without another sound.

“Maria…”

“Michael. Regardless of how I feel, I’m leaving. I have to leave.” Michael nodded his head in understanding. She had feelings for him, but with hundreds of miles between them, what could either of them really do about them?

“Do you need some help?” he offered coming to stand in front of her.

“Yes, that would be great.” She smiled up at him, and he felt, for just a fraction of a second, what it felt like to have his heart broken.

<center>****</center>

“Are you okay?” Max asked Liz as he pulled her into an empty booth. Things between them had been progressing nicely and Max couldn’t help but get his hands on her every chance he got. He wanted her to know that he really did care about her, and that he wanted to be there for her.

“I’m okay. I’m going to really miss her, you know?” Liz turned to him and offered up a small, strained smile.

“Hey, cheer up. You’ll see her again.” Max smiled but read something in her eyes, he wasn’t quite sure he’d be happy to know what it meant.

“What’s wrong, Liz? Really,” he asked pulling her hands across the table, holding them firmly.

“Max, can we just talk about it later?”

“Talk about what?”

“Later.”

“Liz, what aren’t you telling me?” he asked, concern and fear grew with each passing moment within him.

Then she said the words that made his heart sting.

“I wasn’t going to stay in Roswell. It was never my intention,” she rushed out.

“So what are you saying? You’re…leaving?” he tried not to sound angry, but he was, furious in fact.

“Max, let’s just talk about this later. After Maria leaves, okay?” He didn’t like it, he didn’t want to agree with it, but he nodded despite it.

“I think Liz is going to move,” he said to his best friend and hour and a half later.

“What? Max, what makes you think that?”

“She said that she wasn’t going to stay in Roswell. But I don’t know if she meant now, or before.”

“I asked Maria to stay,” Michael blurted out, filling the silence.

“You did? I thought you said you would wait.”

“I tried, but God, I saw her last night and I just couldn’t let her go without saying it.”

“Michael Guerin on his knees for a girl. I knew I’d see the day, I just didn’t think it would be so soon.”

“This is not a joking matter. She’s getting on that plane in ten minutes and I might not ever see her again.”

Max looked at Liz and Maria hugging goodbye and thought, she might just leave me, and I don’t know if I could handle it.

Max turned to his friend, placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it, knowing for the first time in Michael’s life, he cared more about a girl than himself.

“This is it.” Liz said from beside him as they watched Michael and Maria kiss goodbye.

“Yeah.” He wanted to offer more support but he couldn’t help but wonder what was really going on in her mind. So he pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently, he reared back and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“It’s going to be okay.” He smiled and let out a shaky breath when she wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her head against his chest.

He hoped everything would be okay.

<center>****</center>

“Is Jeremy with Patricia?” he asked, thinking after they left, that he wanted to find out what was on her mind as soon as possible. Michael had driven his own car to the airport, leaving Max and Liz alone.

“Yeah,” she responded, somewhat distant. Max hoped it had everything to do with Maria’s departure than the conversation they were about to have.

“Do you mind if we go to my place? Trevor is with my mom today.”

“No, that’s fine. Besides, I’m interested in seeing where you live.” He couldn’t hide his smile.

“Now I feel all this pressure,” he quipped lightly.

“Why? Are you saying you didn’t prepare your home for guests?” she smiled, a gleam in her eyes. She enjoyed teasing him, he didn’t know why, but she did.

“Actually, that is the one thing I can do around the house, quite well, I might add. My mom made sure I knew how to work all the appliances too before she left me with Trevor.” He laughed thinking back to when he finally moved out of his parents’ house with his son.

“That must have been different for you.”

“What do you mean?’

“I just mean, being on your own. Of course your parents were close enough but still you were on your own with Trevor.”

“Yes, I guess it was a transition but Trevor was young enough not to notice when I messed up.”

“Did you?” she asked, curiosity playing across her features.

“Hell yes. I still do. I told you Liz, I don’t think we’ll ever be done raising our kids and by the end of it all, they are going to teach us more than we teach them. I don’t understand the cycle but I try not to interfere with it.”

“I know what you mean. Jeremy is already four months old. I know he’s still little but I feel like, where did the months go? One minute I’m bringing him home from the hospital, and then next he’s growing out of his clothes. I don’t think I can keep up with that. Honestly, I don’t know how some people do it.”

“Do what?” he asked, as he pulled down his street.

“Having more than one kid. I have a hard enough time with one, and some women have three or four.” She shook her head and he nodded in understanding, although he felt anything but.

“Are you saying you wouldn’t want anymore kids?” he asked as he pulled up his driveway.

“I don’t know,” she answered offhandedly as she peered up at his home.

“Max, this place is amazing. I didn’t think they had houses like this in Roswell.” She beamed brightly at him.

“Thank, Liz. But I assure you there are some, not many but a few.” Max was having a difficult time concentrating on what she was asking, his mind was elsewhere; back at the diner wondering if Liz was leaving or not.

Max showed her into the living room and she turned and said, “Do I get the grand tour or what? It’s not very often, if ever, that I get to see something like this.” Her smile melted his resolve. He reached out his hand to her and gave her a quick tour of his home.

Twenty minutes later they were sitting comfortably on his couch, but Liz had grown quite. Max wasn’t sure what to make of anything, but now was as good a time as any to ask her.

“Do you want to tell me what you meant before? About leaving,” he asked, turning to face her. He watched her body tense, and then she turned facing him.

“Remember when I told you that my car died during a storm? That’s how I ended up here, at the Crashdown I mean.” He nodded.

“My plan wasn’t to stay here, it never was. I was going to save up as much money as I could and move east. I was trying to put as many miles between California and myself. I was running from my past but I was pregnant. I didn’t have a choice, so I took my savings and put it in the bank but with Jeremy came bills and expenses I wasn’t ready for. Up until I met you I still had the same goal,” she paused taking a deep breath but her eyes had lost contact with his.

Max moved closer, reaching for her, and she willingly allowed him to pull her into his lap. He pushed her hair over her shoulders to get an unobstructed view of her. She was beautiful, fragile and strong all at the same time. He loved her, he knew he had tried to fight it, but with each passing day, the feelings he had for her grew stronger.

“And your goal now? Does it involve me at all?” he said in a whisper.

She smiled and kissed his lips, the first kiss she had initiated since their first. Max cupped her cheek in his hand and drew her closer, kissing her deeper, pouring every ounce of feeling he had for her into it.

“I don’t want to leave, Roswell,” she responded minutes later, her breathing still uneven.

“Why not?” he asked, trying to fight back his smile.

“Honestly, ever since Maria arrived I realized that I belong here. I may not have a glamorous life, but it’s comfortable. I’m not cut out for the fast paced world and I don’t want to be. That was my life, before, but not now. I’m different now. I want different things than I used to,” she explained and he leaned back against the couch, watching as different emotions crossed her face.

Max wondered if her staying had anything to do with him. He knew it was too soon for her to base a decision on her life around him, but he did hope that maybe, if only for a little, he influenced her decision. Either way, he was thankful to know she planned to stay in Roswell for a long time to come.

He couldn’t help but ask though, “What do you want now? Do you want to go back to teaching at all?”

She hesitated for a moment and then slid from his lap and stood. She didn’t look at him; instead she crossed the room and ran her hands over the picture frames above the fireplace. Max waited patiently; he knew some things for her were difficult to talk about and he would give her all the time she needed.

<center>****</center>

“I want things I shouldn’t want, not this soon. And I do want to go back to teaching, but with Jeremy I don’t know if I ever will be able to. I don’t know how I feel about that, but he’s worth it.” Liz turned on her heels to face Max; it was the first time she’d made eye contact with him in a while. She wondered what was on his mind. She wondered if he cared as much for her as she did for him, this soon, this fast.

Liz watched as Max came to stand before her, there was an unknown look on his face and in his eyes. Was it relief, happiness or something else, she didn’t know.

“What?” she asked, just above a whisper as she tilted her head up to regard him.

“I want things I shouldn’t want either. I want things with you that I’ve never wanted with anyone else. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but it feels right. Everything with you, Liz, feels right. Time doesn’t matter. I want you to know that I’m here for you, that I’m not going anywhere and I want to help you,” he paused and shook his head. “I want to help you, not because I don’t think you can do things for yourself and your son, but because I want to help you. I care about you and I care about your son. Liz, nothing makes sense about you and I, not in the grand scheme of things, especially the way I feel about you, this soon, this fast,” he paused when she smiled, she’d just been thinking the exact same thing.

“What are you saying, Max?” she asked, tears springing to her eyes. She didn’t want to cry but his words, his feelings, touched a part of her she thought was dead to any man.

Max took a step forward and drew her into his arms. She peered up at him and he leaned down closer, his lips brushing her ear as he whispered the words that made not only her body, but also her heart, mind, and soul, melt.

“I’m saying, I’m happy you’re not leaving, me and Trevor.” Liz couldn’t contain her happiness as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down, so that their lips met.

It was time, she thought, that she learned the technique Max obviously mastered so well; face swallowing. And later she would call Maria so that she could hear just how proud her best friend was of her for finally taking the plunge.

TBC…
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - And so here goes...the second to last part. I had a difficult time writing this and the ending mainly due to the fact that after the Epilogue to this story and the last chapter of Magic, I know I won't be writing anything for a while *tears* but I need it *lol*

The Epilogue to this story and the final chapter of Magic WILL be posted on Monday, after that as you know I will not be posting/writing for a few months. I will however be online as soon as the company gets their act together :wink:

I hope you enjoy and thank you so much for the feedback it means so much to me!

Tanya

Chapter Thirteen

<center>Just To Be With You</center>

Three Months Later

“Daddy, can Liz be my mommy?” Max paused mid stride at his son’s question. That was not what he was expecting to hear out of his son’s mouth. In all honesty, he was thinking about Liz but not in the capacity his son obviously was, at that particular moment that is.

He turned and came to kneel down in front of his son; he placed his hands on Trevor’s shoulders and said, “Why are you asking me that?”

“Because you kissed Liz, and Josh says that his mommy and daddy kiss all the time.” Well that was logical, he thought, but why didn’t he think better of his actions in front of his son?

It was only last night that they’d thought Trevor was asleep on Liz’s bed in the other room, when he’d walked in on them making out on the couch. He couldn’t help the smile that tugged at the corners of his mouth, thinking about Liz and her lips.

After the night that she and Maria broke down in the desert, after the first taste of her, he couldn’t keep his hands or his lips to himself. He yearned to feel her under his fingertips, against his lips and his body. They hadn’t moved any further than outside the clothes groping, but that was more than he could’ve asked for from her. He wanted to make sure he was moving at her pace, not his.

Trevor however, walked in right at the moment he’d pulled Liz into his lap and had his hands wrapped around her body, pressing her as close as he could while he devoured those sweet rosy lips of hers.

Liz was mortified and he could admit now, he was as well. They had been so careful, but that night was different. Liz had shared with him a nightmare she’d been having for months about Jeremy. Her fear that he would grow up one day and resent her for ultimately killing his father, plagued her mind. Max had discussed it with her in detail and after their conversation she felt even more satisfied with her original thoughts of not telling Jeremy how he truly came to be.

Apparently, Liz had discussed it with her therapist thoroughly, but to Max; it seemed she wanted another parent’s honest opinion. And she’d told him she trusted his opinion and wanted to know what he really felt about it. He had told her how he felt, which was that the coward, whoever he was, was not nor was he ever Jeremy’s father. He explained that creating a life didn’t necessarily mean they earned the right to be called a parent. Max took his situation with Cassie as an example, she might have helped to create Trevor but she never was or would be his mother. There was nothing wrong with that, and he would be able to handle it, but Trevor would ask questions, just as he knew Jeremy would.

Therefore, he could somewhat understand Liz’s predicament. He explained that Jeremy was still young and if Liz did eventually get married, then the man she married would be Jeremy's father, because Max knew Liz would never be with a man that didn’t accept her child.

Max of course had left out the part about him not wanting Liz to marry anyone that wasn’t him, not that he was ready for such a step, but that didn’t make his thoughts any less true.

Liz’s fear was that he would question her or possibly find out later on and think that she resented him in some way. Max however, reassured her that Jeremy would know that she loved him enough to keep him despite the circumstances of how he came to be. And that she would love him for the rest of his life, and cherish him because he was her son and that was all that mattered.

Now, he thought with mild amusement, looking into his son’s curious eyes, if he even knew what the hell he was talking about.

This was not a conversation he was prepared to have with his son. He wasn’t quite sure how to answer the question and luckily the phone rang distracting Trevor enough to let him off the hook, for now.

<center>****</center>

BigG: You’re a tease.

PixieJrsyGirl: Am not. I can’t help it that you find me irresistible. Besides, it’s not my fault that you have such a vivid imagination.

BigG: I don’t need to have an imagination with you. I remember every single detail.

PixieJrsyGirl: Really? Every? I wonder if that’s just your special talent or if I should actually feel special.

BigG: Feel special because I’ve never told another girl a quarter of the things I’ve told you about.

Maria stared at the screen for a few silent moments. She couldn’t help the smile that stretched across her face. Liz was right; Michael did miss her. She wondered though, how she herself had fallen so deeply for Michael already. They had been keeping in touch over the past few months, and with every conversation or e-mail they learned so much more about each other.

It went against all her natural instincts. Michael was a dangerous endeavor, yet he offered her something no other man had ever, unconditional acceptance.

The thought of it almost made her want to cry, and that was not her style. She only cried when it was warranted, not for any other frivolous reason; yet the thought of not seeing Michael made her tear up.

It was not only frustrating but also damn near close to being an obsession; the pull he had on her. He had even tried to convince her that he would pick up his business and move to see her. She thought he was insane and had told him as much; to which he said he didn’t want to lose the only good thing he’d found in his entire life.

Maria knew Michael was not a sap, not in the least. However, there were certain times, times when she knew he doubted himself, where she would get a full glimpse of the type of soul he had. It was those moments of weakness for him, moments when he wasn’t playfully teasing or making fun, that she felt she was witness to his transformation.

He had a reputation, which she knew very well because they had discussed it in great length, but she couldn’t fault him. Michael’s family was Max’s. His parents turned their backs on his antics early on; he floated through his life without a single care. Or so one would think until they really got to know him. After all, he cared for Max and Trevor deeply and would do anything for either of them. That, right there if nothing else, revealed his true character.

That character is what kept her going back for more. Maria wanted more, but the distance was driving her insane. Thankfully, she and Liz had come up with a solution. Now all she had to do was wait for the perfect moment.

BigG: Did you get lost? Or did your imagination run wild again and lead you to fantasize about me and you and that lonely bed of yours?

PixieJrsyGirl: You wish baby. Before I forget, a little birdie told me your birthday is coming up.

BigG: First of all, I told you and I’m not a damn birdie. Second of all, yes you know it is, two and a half weeks. Nothing special.

PixieJrsyGirl: It’s special don’t say it’s not. I’m sending you a present.

BigG: Unless it’s you in a red bow, I don’t want it.

PixieJrsyGirl: Aww, poor baby. Well, I promise you’ll want this gift. Now, it’s nearly two in the morning, I need my beauty rest. We’re having a big sale tomorrow, have to be at the store early.

BigG: I still think you should open a store here, the girls in Roswell need fashion help, or so I’m told by you.

PixieJrsyGirl: *wink* don’t you know it! Have a good night. I’ll call you tomorrow.

BigG: You better. Night Maria.

Maria stretched her back as she waited for her computer to turn off. Tomorrow was going to be a really busy day, but not for the reasons Michael thought.

Tomorrow she would begin to pack up her little store, and ship out her merchandise to a small town called, Roswell.

<center>****</center>

“So Maria really does own a clothing store?” Max asked as he stirred spaghetti sauce Liz had just helped him make.

“Yes. I think it’s great. She didn’t want to tell me right away, but when I asked how she got off work for so long, she had no choice but to tell me her secret. She said it was her duty to help the fashion misfits of Jersey one soul at a time.” Liz smiled at the thought of Maria, and how she couldn’t wait until she moved to town. Michael would be surprised and although Max was his best friend she’d decided to let him in on the plan.

“I have to tell you something, but you have to promise not to tell Michael,” she said as she jumped up on Max’s counter. She loved his kitchen; it was not only spacious but also completely modern. Liz had no qualms about cooking him dinner when they were at his place. Of course Max had no problems letting Liz cook for him and Trevor, she thought with a sense of pride.

Max had given so much of himself to her. Not only his time but his patience, understanding and trust. She felt, if her cooking made him happy, then who was she to deny him?

In fact, there was so much she wanted to share with him and although they still hadn’t been dating for even six months, she knew that Max was the only one for her. He challenged her, he cared for her, and most of all he understood her. It was important to her that Max knew where she was coming from, and where she wanted to go and who she wanted to be. He respected her and even though they had had their share of disagreements, they were always able to talk it out and compromise. It wasn’t easy, it wouldn’t get easier, but in the end she knew it was worth it; he was worth it.

“I love secrets, but you better go check around the corner because Trevor might be lurking around.” Liz eyed him and then let out a little laugh; he looked adorable. The apron he was wearing was hers and it had big red roses on it, not becoming at all on him.

She loved him.

It wasn’t a revelation that came easy. In fact, it took until two weeks ago for her to truly realize that what she felt was love. Not like she loved her son, or Trevor or even Maria. What she felt for Max was completely different. She was lying in bed with him, he was fast asleep and she listened to him breathing and in that moment she realized how safe she felt. Safe, in every sense of the word. Max hadn’t told her he loved her, but he showed her in everyway how he felt; with every touch, every kiss and every look, she knew how much he loved her.

That night though she realized it was okay for her to be happy. It was okay to be afraid because Max was there, he would always be there. It was a comfort but also a necessity in her life. She needed him, not just because he was the first man she ever truly allowed herself to trust unequivocally, but also because it was her choice.

Max was her choice and her choice alone. She could have walked away. She could have never given him a chance. She could have said no, but she didn’t, she couldn’t. Her heart and her mind knew it was a complete impossibility.

Liz didn’t get to choose her father, she didn’t get to choose how Jeremy came to be, but she did get choose Max. And that, to her, was what confirmed to her mind what her heart already knew about Max months ago.

Liz now knew, her happiness was in her control.

“Maria is going to be surprising Michael for his birthday,” she said as she reentered the room after checking to make sure Trevor was out of earshot. Liz watched as Max placed the spoon he was holding down, and turned to regard her.

“Are you serious? He’s going to be ecstatic!” Max said as he swiped his hands on his apron and walked towards her. He stepped between her legs and she leaned down to kiss his lips.

“I think they are really great for each other. I know Maria can’t wait to see him—

“And you. Michael misses her, hell half the time he’s grumpy and the other half of the time he wants nothing to do with her; it’s just his frustration. Michael has never had to wait for anything. He always went after it. Maria was the only one to make him sweat.”

“Do I make you sweat?” she asked, knowing already after several conversations with Max what that meant.

“Liz, I think you should know by now what you do to me.” He reached up and framed her face in his hands, she loved when he kissed her that way, it was tender and sweet. She didn’t know how, but Max knew when and where and how to kiss her at the right times.

“Anyway,” she said as he pulled away. “You can’t tell him, but she’ll be here and well do you remember what we talked about last week?” she hedged on uncertainly. Max had asked her to move in, it was a big step, and he told her he’d understand if she needed more time.

Liz’s first inclination was to say yes, she loved seeing him everyday. But she was unsure, so she’d asked him why he wanted her to. His response caused yet another wave of tears to well up in her eyes.

“Because I hate waking up without you, and I hate going to bed without you, I hate walking around this house and turning the corner and knowing you’re not here. I want you with me all the time. I want to rock Jeremy to sleep and kiss his cheeks after I make him laugh. I know it’s fast, Liz. I know it. But I need you; Trevor and I need both of you.”

That confirmed her answer. However, she’d told him she needed a little more time to think it over. Now, though, with Maria’s arrival she knew it was the perfect time to bring it up again.

“Of course I remember.” He stared right into her eyes, causing her to blink away and then back again. His stare was always so intense when it was on her.

“I told Maria that she could have my apartment because I would be moving out…to live with you.” Liz watched the expression on Max’s face turn from pensive to excited in a matter of seconds.

“Really? You want to live here?” he asked, she couldn’t help but laugh at his expression, as if he didn’t believe her.

She shook her head, “I do.”

“You know that you don’t have to stay in my room, you know there are three other rooms for you to choose from,” he rushed on and she nodded her head in understanding, but responded, “I like our current arrangements just the way they are.”

Liz never got to tell Max that she loved him; she was too busy being lifted off the counter and into his arms.

<center>****</center>

“Well daddy? Did you hear me?” Trevor asked his father once again when he received no response.

Max however stood frozen in place. His son had caught him off guard today of all days, he and Liz’s five-month anniversary. He was getting ready to drop Trevor off at his parent’s house and now he wasn’t sure what to do.

“I heard you Trev. Maybe we need to sit down for a minute before we leave.” Max lifted Trevor in his arms and carried him over to the dining room table. He took a deep breath and tried to find the right words to explain to his son why Liz couldn’t be his mother right now.

“Trev, I know you don’t understand a lot of things right now, but I think you know that Liz loves you a lot. You mean so much to her, just like you do to me,” he paused and tried to gather his thoughts. He watched as his son eyed him curiously and nodded his head.

“Does she not want to be my mommy?” His expression was enough to make Max’s heart break. He reached up a hand and ran it through his son’s thick, dark hair.

“Trev, I won’t lie to you. I don’t know if she will be your mother in the future. I can tell you that whether or not Liz and I get married, she will always be a part of your life and she will always love you. I’d love her to be just as much as you do.”

“Josh says that you have to ask her. Did you ask her daddy?” he asked, clasping his hands in front of him, in hope. Max smiled, if only it were that easy.

“Little man, I…”

“I think that maybe not now, but sometime in the near future, I would love for you to call me your mother,” came Liz’s voice from the doorway. Max turned quickly and met her loving gaze.

He had yet to tell her how much he loved her, but he promised himself not another hour would pass before he said it.

If he didn’t already love her with everything in him, that moment, her words, would have sealed his fate.

She approached them slowly and after taking one last smiling glance at him, she moved in front of Trevor.

“I know your dad already told you, but I want you to know from me, that no matter what I will always love you.”

“Even if daddy never asks you to be my mommy?” Trevor asked and Max had to look away from his son. It was too much for him to take in. Not only was he staring at pure innocence but he was faced with the truth that, even though he was Trevor’s father and no one could take his place, his son wanted a mother.

And he wanted Liz more than he’d wanted anyone in his entire life.

Liz nodded. “Even if your daddy never asks me. I will never leave you.” And that was all the reassurance his son needed. Max realized in those few minutes, his son never had anyone walk out of his life; there was never any threat of it. Liz however was someone new, and he’d formed a relationship with her, and he knew, even at his age that she might not be around forever.

“Okay.” Trevor said and then reached out his arms to Liz. She leaned in and wrapped her arms around his tiny body and Max watched the exchange with a heavy heart and teary eyes.

“I love you, Liz.” Trevor said as Liz pulled him up into her arms, and then he turned towards his father and repeated the sentiment.

“I love you too, Trev.” Liz however was at a loss for words, so instead she placed a kiss on his head and then leaned in and kissed his cheek. Max watched as she pulled back and smiled at his son and said, “I love you too Trevor.”

Max had excused himself a moment later and told Liz he’d meet her and Trevor in the car.

<center>****</center>

“Are you okay?” Liz asked from her spot beside him. Max had driven to a secluded part of the desert, laid a blanket and insisted that she sit beside him. She was comfortable with the silence, staring up at the clear sky, but now a few minutes had past and Max hadn’t said a word.

“I’ve never been better,” he responded, reaching in his jacket pocket and pulling out a small white box.

“Max—”

“I love you, Liz. I love every single thing about you.”

“Max, I…”

“—you don’t have to say it back, I just…

“I love you too, so much.” Max turned to her and pulled her into his arms, she smiled against his lips as he cupped her cheek and drew their lips together. His kiss was hesitant, which it never was, but tender as always. He teased her mouth with his tongue, sliding it gently against hers, offering himself up to her and she eagerly accepted.

Liz was overwhelmed by his kiss; it was different, almost as if their souls were touching through such a simple act. “I love you, baby…” he gasped out before pulling her closer, sipping from her lips, and making love to her with his mouth.

“Happy anniversary,” he said to her after pulling away, but keeping her tucked under his arm protectively.

“Happy anniversary, Max.” Liz snuggled closer and reached for the box, lifted the lid and looked inside.

“You know he asked me if you would be his mother before. He was distracted so I didn’t have to answer him, but I didn’t know how to say no, because even then I didn’t want to. Liz, I know we have time and I know you still have things to get through, but I want you to know that these past few months have been nothing short of amazing. I never thought I would find someone like you. You can take as long as you need because I’m not going anywhere.”

“Max, it’s so beautiful. Thank you.” Liz pulled the platinum heart necklace from its pillow and held it up for a better look. She swiped the tears from her eyes when he placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Welcome baby.”

Liz turned to him and waited until he placed the necklace around her neck before speaking.

“I’m not perfect, and I have a lot of insecurities and I have no doubt that we’ll argue over them, but I want everything with you. The good and the bad, because I think the good will definitely outweigh the bad in every instance with you,” she said and allowed him to wipe the rest of her tears from her face. He’d turned towards her completely and cupped her hands in his.

“Thank you for letting me into your life, because I know how hard that must have been, but I have to tell you something. You don’t have to comment, in fact, I’d prefer if you didn’t, okay?” Liz listened and nodded, wondering what he would say next.

“I would have went with diamonds but I know you would have said it was too much, since I got you the earrings for Christmas. But I want you to know that line won’t work forever on me, because one day, Liz, I’m going to pull a box from my pocket and rest assured there will be a diamond inside of it.”

Liz had no response, so she did the only thing she could think of; jumped into his lap to show him how thankful she was for having him in her life.

<center>****</center>

“How does it feel to be a year older?” he asked his best friend.

“I’ll let you know tomorrow. You know she probably forgot to mail my present, that’s just like Maria.” Max hid his smile behind his hand. He knew that Liz was on her way from the airport with Maria, just in time for Michael’s party.

“Nah, you just need to give it time. So how are things with Maria?”

Things would be better if she was in the same damn zip code as me. Other than that, they’re good. I hate this feeling,” Michael said sagging his shoulders and taking a seat on Max’s porch step. Max dropped down beside him, placed a hand on his shoulder in commiseration.

“You feel helpless.” Michael nodded.

“Restless.” He nodded again.

“Yes, yes, all of that and then some. Does it go away?”

“I’m afraid it grows from there. But don’t worry you’ll survive.” Max smiled at his friends bewildered face but turned when the sound of a car coming to stop in front of them drew his attention to the street.

“Looks like Liz is here,” he said standing.

“Where did she go anyway?” Max smiled; obviously Michael hadn’t looked up to see who was sitting in the passengers seat.

“I think, forgive me if I’m wrong, that she was picking up your birthday present.” Max watched as realization dawned on his friends face, right before he jumped to his feet and practically ran to Maria’s side.

Max thought with a smile, today was the first day of his best friends new life. And when Liz moved around to the front of the car and caught his gaze, he thought about how lucky he was to have found the woman he would ask to be his wife for the rest of his life.

TBC...

Sorry for any mistakes, I will come back and fix them!
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - And so this is really it, the ending to this story. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me, your feedback has been nothing short of amazing!! And as you all know, I will be taking a hiatus from writing for a while. I don't really have a time frame for it, but when I know, you'll know :wink: (and hopefully some of you will remember me at that point :?) Thank you for letting me entertain you for a few minutes at a time.

I hope you enjoy this last part, sorry it took me so long to finish it *lol*

*hugs*
Tanya

Chapter Fourteen

<center>Where It All Leads</center>

Seven Months Later

“Show me, Max.” His heart thrummed in his chest. It might not have been his first time, but it sure as hell felt like it. Everything with Liz, including making love, felt like the first time.

He wrapped his body around hers, drawing her as close as possible. He sealed his lips to hers, stole her breath away and hoped to God he was able to please her.

With their bodies aligned Max looked into Liz’s eyes as he joined them as one for the very first time…

<center>****</center>

“Max,” she breathed against his neck.

“Yeah?” he asked, turning to his side and taking her with him.

“I think…that we should try that again really soon.” Max couldn’t hide his smile at her words.

“You’re okay right?” he asked while stroking her arm softly. He’d never been as satisfied sexually in his entire life or felt more fulfilled then he did the moment he joined his body with Liz’s. She was more than he could handle and not enough all at the same time.

Liz turned towards him and smiled, “I’m great. Thank you for being so patient and…” Max pressed his lips against hers.

“Thank you baby. You know now that I’ve had you I won’t be able to get enough,” he joked lightly trying to assuage his nerves. They might have made love already, but that didn’t stop his fears from settling in his heart.

What if they didn’t work out, he thought. What if she decided in a year or two or even three that she didn’t love him the same way he loved her? His mind challenged his heart, but when she rolled over onto his stomach and placed a kiss at the base of his neck, he knew his doubts were unjustified.

Liz loved him. And it wasn’t just love, it was completely unconditional. Liz knew him better than anyone else. Thankfully, he thought, he knew her better than anyone. She allowed him to see a part of her that no one ever got to see. Her secrets, her desires, her dreams, were all shared with only him. That’s how he knew that he and Liz were forever.

Max knew it wouldn’t be easy, nothing in life was, he knew that first hand, but being with Liz and going through all the ups and downs, was worth it for him.

“Max, you need to stop the lines, they don’t work on me.”

“Lines? Liz, you know me better than that. I would never use a line on you, sweetheart.” He smiled and placed a kiss on the tip of her nose, as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Since when do you call me sweetheart?”

“All the time.”

“No, I believe I call Trevor that.”

“Well, maybe you’re right but you are a sweetheart.”

“Again,” she paused and slid back down beside him. “Another line. You know Max I’m not sure you’re being sincere anymore.”

“No?” he asked, knowing she was teasing him.

“No. In fact, I think you owe me an apology.”

“For what?” He rolled onto his back as she began to kiss the side of his neck, up over his jaw and finally his lips.

“Give me a minute, I’m sure I can think of something,” she whispered out hotly against his chest.

“Oh really?”

“Yes. And if not, you could just apologize for something I know you’ll do wrong in the near future. That way you’ll be one step ahead of the game.”

“Liz, you don’t play fair,” he said rolling them over and pinning her to the mattress.

“No, Max…I don’t. But you know what?” she asked, running her fingers through his thick disheveled hair.

“What, Liz?”

“You love me anyway.”

Max smiled and leaned in closer, whispering against her lips, for her ears only to hear; “I love you more than you’ll ever know, Liz.”

And with that, he watched as she cried, the good happy tears he loved to see her shed…just for him.

<center>****</center>

3 Years Later

“Mom, where’s my glove?” came her son’s bellowing voice, followed by the telltale sound of him barreling down the stairs.

It had been two years since she’d adopted Trevor, and two years since Max had adopted Jeremy.

It had also been a total of three years that she and Max had been together and not married, or even engaged.

But that was okay, she didn’t need a ring on her finger to know that she and Max would last forever.

It honestly wasn’t a big deal, in fact, she was happy with her life. She had two beautiful children and a great boyfriend who she was madly in love with, what more could she ask for?

Nothing, she told herself.

Not a damn thing.

So what if Maria and Michael had been married for a year? So what if they were already expecting their first child?

She was happy, happy as a clam. Liz never did understand that phrase but she was happy nonetheless.

Liz knew Max was nervous, Maria had told her as much, which she’d told her Michael had shared with her. Liz also knew that Max had planned to ask her several times, but for whatever reason never did.

But she was fine with that. Just fine.

“Sweetheart, did you check the garage? I’m sure you left it on the shelf right outside the door!” she called out.

“Mommy, I want juice!” came her other son’s voice from beside her, when did he get there, she wondered.

“Okay pumpkin, you want some apple juice?” Liz swiped her hands on her apron and bent down to her son. She smiled at how messy his hair was and proceeded to run her fingers through his chestnut-brown hair.

“No, I want soda!” Jeremy pouted and crossed his arms like his big brother always did.

“Pumpkin, you can’t drink that, how about some chocolate milk?” she asked, reaching out and lifting her son, placing him on the counter in front of her.

“No.”

Liz smiled at her son, this was practically a family tradition…sort of.

“Not even if I make it a different color for you?”

Jeremy’s eyes lit up, “What color mommy?”

“Hmm, let’s see. How about green?”

“No.”

Liz placed a finger against her chin, pretending to ponder the idea of what color to offer her son, knowing full well that he wanted orange.

“Red?”

“No, mommy!” Liz reached out and tickled his sides, causing him to squirm against her chest, as she held him securely on the counter.

“I know! How about orange?”

“Yes!” Jeremy clapped his hands and launched himself at his mother. Liz swiftly carried him across the room and placed him on a chair.

“Give mommy a minute to make it for you.”

“Liz!” came Max’s voice from the front door. She was glad he’d left work early enough so they could all ride together to watch Trevor’s baseball game.

“In the kitchen!” she called back.

“Mom!” came Trevor’s agitated voice from the doorway, where his father was now standing behind him at.

“Trevor, did you look?”

“Yeah, it’s not there.”

“Okay, let me get your brother some milk and then I’ll help you look for it.”

“Look for what?” Max asked.

“His glove.”

“My glove, Dad. I can’t find it anywhere.”

“Okay, how about since your mom is so good at finding things, she help you and I’ll make the milk?”

“Sounds good.” Liz smiled and kissed Max on her way out of the door.

Together her and Trevor searched the house, and once they’d found it, she received a big hug and kiss for her effort.

Liz paused at the bottom of the stairs, her two sons and their father were sitting at the kitchen table, and she realized that her life really was perfect.

Two years ago, Max had brought up the conversation of her going back to being a teacher. It was not one of their most pleasant conversations but in the end, she realized why he wanted her to think about it.

Time wasn’t something anyone had control over, and he didn’t want her thinking five years down the road that she should have taken the opportunity and ran with it. She loved him for that but more for his own sacrifices. He worked hard at his job, but he worked even harder keeping their family, as unconventional as it might be, together.

Watching her family now, she realized, she was glad she put off the decision of going back to work. She would have missed out on her sons growing up, and even though some might have said she could have done both, she knew deep down the precious time she missed out on, she would have never gotten back.

And because Max worked hard Liz was sure to take as many pictures and record as much of them growing up for him, for all the times he missed out on. Thankfully, she thought with a smile, he didn’t miss Jeremy’s first words, or his first steps.

Life, as she knew it, didn’t come with a manual, neither did parenting but even still she wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Teaching would always be there, but the time away from her family wouldn’t ever be able to be recovered.

Liz took another step and made her way into the kitchen to join her family. She’d decided in that moment, she didn’t need a ring from Max because she already had everything she could ever possibly want.

And it was all because of him.

<center>****</center>

“When are Maria and Michael getting here?” Max asked from his place on the couch. The kids where in bed and their friends were coming over for their weekly movie night.

“They just called, they are about ten minutes away.” Liz walked into the room carrying a tray filled with soda, candy and popcorn. Max reached out and helped her with the tray and waited until she was seated beside him.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and placed a kiss against her temple. Max watched as she sipped her soda and grabbed a handful of popcorn, she never could wait when it was piping hot, he thought with a smile.

Tomorrow was their anniversary of their first meeting…online. It was also the day he would finally ask her to be his wife. It had taken him long enough, he knew, but the timing never seemed right. Liz never talked about it, but he wasn’t dumb, he knew she wanted to get married just as much as he knew she was keeping something from him.

He had intended to wait until after Maria and Michael had left, but the feeling that she was upset about something was gnawing at him too much to wait.

“Liz, can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Is there something wrong? Or…I don’t know something you want to tell me?” he asked, gauging her reaction, but she gave none. Just sipped her soda and then placed the glass on the table.

Then she turned to him and smiled, brighter than normal.

“Max, there’s nothing wrong. I’m just…late.”

“Late? For what?” he asked.

“You know…late.” He looked at her still not understanding and then…it all sunk in.

“You’re late. So that means…you’re…” His words were muffled when she placed a finger against his lips.

“I haven’t taken a test, we’ll do it tomorrow okay?” He nodded.

“Are you okay with it, if I am?” she asked cautiously and he leaned over and kissed her lips, stealing her breath.

“Does that answer your question?” She nodded and smiled.

Max took a deep breath and knew that if Liz were pregnant, words wouldn’t be able to express his joy.

He also knew if she was he would have to postpone asking her to marry him once again.

He didn’t want Liz thinking he was only asking her to marry him because she might be pregnant, how would that look?

Not good, he thought.

That was fine, there would be other moments just as special.

Liz snuggled closer to his side, and he ran his fingers down her arm, just the way she liked.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, both taking in the thought of having a child together, one that was a part of each of them.

“You know Liz, we are the most unconventional couple out there.”

“I know.”

“I have to ask you one thing Liz, just one, and I’ll never ask you again.” Max tried to hide the teasing from his voice. He was sure Liz knew better though.

“Okay, go ahead,” she said, tilting her neck to regard him.

“If I wasn’t so good looking, would you have even typed back a response?”

“Don’t be so full of yourself!” She slapped his chest playfully.

“To answer your question though, I think I would have, but I don’t think I would have let you have a private chat with me. I’m a good girl after all.” He smiled as she winked, and he dragged her into his lap, fighting every sensation to make love to her.

“Yeah, who told you that lie?” he asked, kissing at her neck softly.

Liz leaned back, causing him to stop his ministrations and look her in the eye. She appeared serious as he awaited her response.

“Oh, this guy I met online a few years ago and I decided for once in my life to take a leap of faith and see where it led me.”

“How’s it going so far?” he asked.

“It’s going…pretty damn good.”

<center>THE END
</center>
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.