Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Post by nibbles2 »

Coccy wrote: Bad Tess is canon so it makes sense that people write her in character in their fanfictions just like they do with the other characters. I even think that if well written she can be more interesting than her good version that some people write. She can be bad like in the canon but she can still have some layers (like in the canon).
Bad Tess is one thing and I have no problem with her being portrayed as a lying, manipulative boyfriend stealer in either canon or AU because that is true to her character.

What isn't canon is a dumb blonde who is extremely bitchy, blatantly looks down on humans, bullies and taunts Liz, sleeps around, and calls Max 'Maxie'. Tess was intelligent and knew what she was doing. The others trusted her. Max liked her as a friend and he developed feelings for her. She was smart, funny and likeable most of the time until she turned out to be an Alex murdering bitch.

She is an incredibly interesting and fascinating character so seeing her being reduced to a pantomine villianess is always a disappointment and has ruined many otherwise good fics for me. It's just so juvenile. :lol:
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

nibbles2 wrote:
Coccy wrote: Bad Tess is canon so it makes sense that people write her in character in their fanfictions just like they do with the other characters. I even think that if well written she can be more interesting than her good version that some people write. She can be bad like in the canon but she can still have some layers (like in the canon).
Bad Tess is one thing and I have no problem with her being portrayed as a lying, manipulative boyfriend stealer in either canon or AU because that is true to her character.

What isn't canon is a dumb blonde who is extremely bitchy, blatantly looks down on humans, bullies and taunts Liz, sleeps around, and calls Max 'Maxie'. Tess was intelligent and knew what she was doing. The others trusted her. Max liked her as a friend and he developed feelings for her. She was smart, funny and likeable most of the time until she turned out to be an Alex murdering bitch.

She is an incredibly interesting and fascinating character so seeing her being reduced to a pantomine villianess is always a disappointment and has ruined many otherwise good fics for me. It's just so juvenile. :lol:
I agree that some people tend to use stereotypes in their fanfictions. They pick only one side of a character and they make it huge basically creating a parody of that character (makes me remember Tess' version in Summer of 47). Because they don't like that character so they don't care to really develop his/her layers.
But, again, it happens with all the characters not just Tess.
What about all the candy ff with bias toward Liz or M&L?(and unlike Tess it's not that M&L were "an obstacle" for M&M in the canon). It also happens in polar ff where Max is suddenly transformed in the abusive stalker and rapist. Same goes for other uc Liz fanfictions. Same goes for rebel fanfictions where Liz and Tess basically switch roles. Yet i've read Dreamer fanfictions with an absolutely positive portrayal of Tess.
I don't need to tell you how hard is for me to find decent non dreamer fanfictions (and i'd love to read some) where Max and Liz aren't transformed, for example, into the boring, silly, "all innocent and platonic" asexual/prude couple who spend all the the time staring at each other (obviously for some people the show ended in heat wave or something like that.)- when they're not like that they're evil incarnates - . Not to mention how author basically use the other characters in order to voice his/her opinion about M&L or Liz or Max.

again, double standard. :roll:
all the fans are biased. All the fans dislike some characters.
Yet it seems that only Dreamers should love everything under the sun.
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

Coccy, I don't believe that I ever mentioned anything about dreamers having to like everybody. In fact, I think I was on the anti Tess-side in my last post. I just mentioned that I find the practise of making Tess into a cartoon version of evil is childish. For the record, I also hate in when it's done to Courtney, but she was never as subtle and manipulative as Tess.
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

nibbles2
Coccy, I don't believe that I ever mentioned anything about dreamers having to like everybody.
To be honest when i talked about "double standard" i was referring to the poster i was originally replying to.
What i find funny is that the person who raised this (deja vu) discussion against the dreamers (killjoy) hates Max and Liz (and clearly stated it even in the first page of this thread LOL ) yet he always cares about what Dreamers like or not like (in another thread i remember that the problem was that we don't like to read negative/OOC portrayals of our fav characters. sounds familiar? lol) and reads Dreamer fanfictions (that are, obviously, mainly about them and not Tess. duh!) and then criticize the dreamers because they don't like Tess and they're not nice with her (duh!2).
No offense but I smell hypocrisy here and that's the main reason of why i replied, in the first place.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Coccy wrote:nibbles2
Coccy, I don't believe that I ever mentioned anything about dreamers having to like everybody.
To be honest when i talked about "double standard" i was referring to the poster i was originally replying to.
What i find funny is that the person who raised this (deja vu) discussion against the dreamers (killjoy) hates Max and Liz (and clearly stated it even in the first page of this thread LOL ) yet he always cares about what Dreamers like or not like (in another thread i remember that the problem was that we don't like to read negative/OOC portrayals of our fav characters. sounds familiar? lol) and reads Dreamer fanfictions (that are, obviously, mainly about them and not Tess. duh!) and then criticize the dreamers because they don't like Tess and they're not nice with her (duh!2).
No offense but I smell hypocrisy here and that's the main reason of why i replied, in the first place.
Ohhh I don't hate Max/Liz....I'll admit they do bore the living hell out of me. But what does crack me up is how upset people get on here over a simple comment :lol: :lol:
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

edited to make my point more clear
killjoy wrote:
Ohhh I don't hate Max/Liz....I'll admit they do bore the living hell out of me. But what does crack me up is how upset people get on here over a simple comment :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll:

what does crack me up is how much someone who doesn't like M&L and finds them boring to hell STILL read fanfictions about them (must be a torture) expecting to get something nice about a character that dreamers obviously dislike. (something that you should understand since you dislike some characters too and you don't care if they're portrayed as bad people in ff even if for them it's not canon like for Tess. )
it's not about getting upset because you don't like M&L or any other character.
frankly i don't think that your comments are so inherent to the topic. One thing is to criticize the characters and the fiction another thing is to bash the fans.

lets remember your original post
killjoy wrote:Still my major complaint is Dreamer fiction writers who can't let go of the hate when doing AU stories and have her still as some evil,jealous harpy.For example....there is a video over on Youtube,the person made a Lost video using the Roswell theme music.Even though Emilie de Ravin is ON Lost the person making the video left her off.When feedbackers called him/her on it this person stated "This is my video I'll put whoever I want on here....and besides I HATE Tess!" :roll:

Those are the type of Dreamers that get on my nerves

it seems pretty upset to me. It isn't even the first time you wrote these "complains".
a complain isn't a simple comment it's an accusation made to express feelings of dissatisfaction and resentment = something - the dreamers - is upsetting you. Otherwise you wouldn't complain about them over and over.

if M&L and the dreamers are so annoying/boring for you then why you read dreamer fanfictions in the first place? :?
it doesn't make sense unless you read them only for the parts about Tess but this doesn't make sense too because most of the dreamers obviously dislike her (or simply don't care about her)... i think that it's easier to find positive portrayals of her in the fanfictions written by Tess fans (it should be obvious. :? ).

honestly it's the hypocrisy that gets on my nerves more than anything else.
I don't even write fanfictions but I don't think that dreamer authors should get lectured continually about things that all the fans do.

in my country we say "you throw the stone and then hide your hand" (i don't know the phrase in english but it's used when someone firstly attack and provoke people and then when they reply he makes it seems that he did nothing at all or he was just "kidding". )

eta: i've read your pm but i think that i already replied here.
I think that we should take the responsibility of what we say. :roll: This is a board and inevitably what we write can be read by other people and generate reactions and if you didn't want to start a "fight" then bashing (again) the dreamers wasn't a good move to do. What did you expect?
I'm not even saying that you can't make this kind of "comments". But if you keep doing it over and over then don't be surprised by the reactions.
If dreamers upset you so much then don't be so surprised if hypocrisy and double standard upsets me.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

:lol: :lol:

Sorry can't help but to :lol: :lol: some people crack me up about how serious they get over a tv show and some comments :lol: :lol:
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

killjoy wrote::lol: :lol:

Sorry can't help but to :lol: :lol: some people crack me up about how serious they get over a tv show and some comments :lol: :lol:
You do the very same Killjoy. :wink:
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

nibbles2 wrote:
killjoy wrote::lol: :lol:

You do the very same Killjoy. :wink:
Yes I know :lol: That's why I'm not taking this discussion to serious and just having fun with it :lol:
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswellian117 »

Ok I am a lamptrimming dreamer of candy while star gazing. I love them all. But what REALLY pisses me off is when people think it was OK for Isabel to treat Alex like CRAP then at the last minute change her mind and suddenly love him!?

I'm sorry but not ah that does not fly right by me. I love Tess as a Dreamer I know that is like unthinkable BUT they honestly didn't need to turn her into a murderer. That was stupid on the PsTB part. Tess had a LOT of potential and I am sorry to say this but she had a LOT of potential with Kyle.

Back to Isabel.... why is it that there were hardly any gazer moments on the show? I would've easily believed she loved him if I had seen more LOVE!!!

Oh and as a dreamer sorry but HOW THE HELL COULD LIZ FORGIVE HIM SOOOO QUICKLY!!!!??? She should've let Max sweat it out for a bit. It would've made for much better TV if you ask me. No Max didn't cheat on Liz and yes she was wrong to pull Kyle into all of it but come the **** on!!!! They both royally screwed up and should've worked slowly on building things back up and to an innocence that was like season 1.

Onto Maria and Michael.... Oh the fighting! When was enough enough. I mean fighting sometimes is seriously alright but it seemed like that was all they did. Granted Michael didn't really know how to be a boyfriend but after Alex died he became sweet and really tried. One day they were broken up and the next thing you know they are together again sometime in the second season! Real people talk out their problems and come to some kind of a resolution, even teenagers!

There were no talks between the couples. Everything became so uber angsty and kind of depressing. I love Roswell still so so much but I just think that they shouldn't have let some of these character's fall through the cracks.

These are just a FEW of my opinions.