Running From the Past [AU M/L ADULT] ~{COMPLETE}~

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

3 years later

Nathan held onto his uncle’s hand as they made their way into RestHaven Cemetery. In his other hand he cradled a bouquet of wildflower’s and a single white rose. He followed his uncle as they made the trek to the back of the cemetery. Sean stopped in front of the familiar headstone, his hand tightening around his nephews before he fell to his knees. Nathan followed as his uncle sunk down onto the dewy grass. He watched in silence as Sean placed the bouquet of tulips at the base of the black marble headstone. He didn’t say anything as his uncle closed his eyes and said a silent prayer to his aunt. In the past year in a half, he had heard many stories about the aunt he was named after. It saddened him that he never got to meet her, but her memory was strong in his household.

Once he was finished, Sean turned to Nathan, giving him a teary smile. “Aren’t you going to say hi” he asked? Nathan said a soft hello, before placing the bouquet of flowers next to the tulips. He then turned his attention to the headstone beside his aunt’s.

Eliza Kristine Parker
1978-2003
Beloved Sister
and Friend

Nathan ran his hand over the tiny Cherub angel sitting on top of the headstone before placing the white rose at the base. Pulling back, he wiped the palm of his hands on his jeans as he stared at the headstone. It was weird being there. He couldn’t believe it had been three years since he had been kidnaped, his adopted parents murdered, watched his uncle kill a man in front of him, and met and lost Eliza Parker the same night.

Sean sat in silence beside him. He knew his nephew was reflecting on the events that happened more than three years ago. He had seen first hands what the damages of seeing someone die in front of him had did to him. Heck, he was a grown man, and still sometimes woke up in a cold sweat. Nathan ran his fingers over her name, a small smile touching his lips before dropping his hands in his lap.

“You ready” Sean finally asked a few minutes later.

“Yeah” Nathan stood, clasping his hand into his uncle’s.

“Come on, we have a long flight ahead of us” Sean shuddered thinking of the long plane ride they were in for. Nathan giggled at his uncle, but nodded eagerly. Saying their final good byes, they made their way to the awaiting taxi.

~~~~~~~~~

“Daddy!” Nathan rushed through the doors, causing all the occupants in the restaurant to stare at him. Max turned from his conversation with one of his associates just in time to catch his son as he burrowed into him.

“Hey big guy” he smiled, spinning him around. “Did you have a good time with uncle Sean” he asked, finally noticing Sean a few feet away.

“Umm hum, he took me to see the Statue of Liberty…and I got to go to the very top…and then we ate ice cream and the world’s best pizza and…”

“Whoa, whoa…slow down buddy” Max laughed, knowing his son was spending way too much time with Maria. Nathan took a deep breath before launching into another one of his rambling sections. Max just listened on with happiness. He hadn’t seen his son in two weeks and missed him deeply.

“Guess what” Max grinned once Nathan finally finished the tales of his vacation?

“What?” he asked, his eyes lighting up with childish innocence.

“I got a surprise for you…come on” Max lead him to the back of the restaurant, Sean following closely behind them.
~~~~~~~~~~

Beth looked up from nursing her newborn daughter as the door to her bedroom crept open. She smiled brightly when her son’s chubby face peered in, her husbands a few seconds later.

“Hey sweetie, welcome home” she held out her hand to him, and Max helped him climb onto the bed.

“Good” he said distractedly as he stared at the small bundle cradled next to his mom. Noticing his distraction, Max placed a hand on his son’s shoulder.

“Nathan, meet your little sister Grace…Grace, say hi to your big brother” little Grace released her mother’s nipple to turn wide eyes to her big brother.

“Hi Gracie” he smiled, running his finger over her tiny fingers. Gracie gripped his finger between her tiny fist, her baby gurgles echoing around the room.

“Guess that’s her way of saying hi” Max chuckled, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“She’s so tiny” Nathan whispered in awe as he watched his sister returned to finish nursing. Laying down beside her, he stroked her soft ebony locks. He had been waiting anxiously for the arrival of his little sibling from the moment his parents had informed him they were going to have a baby. Now that she was finally there, Nathan vowed to always protect her.

Beth ran her fingers tenderly over her son’s cheek before doing the same to her daughter’s, a motherly glow masking her face. She couldn’t believe that she was now a wife to a wonderful husband and mother to two beautiful children.

Beth wasn’t delusional, she knew that the life she now lived came at an enormous price. The past three years weren’t all peaches and creams. After she had killed Frankie, she had spent the next week in the hospital in critical condition from the fatal stab wound she had suffered at his hand. Once she was finally released, things only seemed to grow even more complicated. The Feds had been waiting outside the hospital to take her into custody, once they realized she was back in town. They had gotten wind that the infamous Frankie Delucci was found dead in his estate, and since her name was just as dirty as his, Eliza Parker was the next best thing and was facing years of imprisonment.

She had gone straight from the hospital bed to a holding cell, all before her wounds could heal properly. She had been in federal custody for a week and hadn’t been able to see Nathan or Max. So she had been surprised when Phillip Evans had walked into the interrogation room one day when the feds were getting irritated with her lack of cooperation.

“I think that will be enough of that” Phillip Evans roaring voice sounded around the small room, causing all the occupants to jump in surprise.

“Who are you” one of the agents asked?

“I’m Ms. Parkers lawyer, and I do believe you’re violating my client’s rights to an attorney” he raised an intimidating eyebrow at them. The two agents narrowed their eyes, but knew that he was right. They’ve been holding Eliza for the last week without given her a chance to contact an attorney. They were indeed violating her rights. Standing, they straightened their ties and left the room without a word. Mr. Evans waited until they left the room before his whole demeanor changed.

“How are you doing dear” he asked gently, sitting down next to Liz?

“Mr. Evans” Liz stood in surprise, “what are you doing here” she asked?

“Max called me” he informed her. Setting down his briefcase on the table to regard the woman that had captured his son’s heart. At the mention of Max, Liz felt her heart constrict tightly.

“How is he” she asked softly, guilt weighing heavily on her shoulders for what he had went through because of her?

“He’ll survive” he answered simply, “the most important thing at the moment is getting you out of here” he said, switching into his element.

Liz took her seat once again and regarded him with a watchful eye, “unless you can perform miracles, I don’t see that happening anytime this century” she replied dejectedly, knowing that she was up shit creek without a paddle.

“You let me worry about that” he smiled warmly. Patting her hand comfortingly, “now, lets get down to business.”

~~~~~~~~

“Are you crazy” Phillip shouted as he stood up roughly, knocking over his chair in the process? “What you’re asking of her is suicide” he glared angrily.

“Look,” Agent Wade addressed, “Mr. Evans I don’t have to tell you the list of charges your client is facing . . . ” he pointed out, “her name is listed in over half the documents seized from Delucci’s place, not to mention the murder of Frankie Delucci and several others that her hands are dirty with.”

“Frankie was self defense, you and I both know that” Phillip defended.

“Be that as it may, what about the others . . . were they self defense as well” he raised a challenging eyebrow at them? Liz lowered her eyes guiltily, knowing that none of the people she had killed had been in self defense but instead cold-blooded murder.

“Mr. Evans, I’m not an uncompassionate man, I know what Ms. Parker has been through . . . about her parents . . . her cousin Danny . . . Natalie,” he turned to Liz, “I can understand that you’ve had a hard life and was forced to do unthinkable things to survive, I understand, I truly do, but lets face the facts here, you’re looking at life without parole here . . . I’m offering you a way out.”

“No, what you’re offering her is certain death,” Phillip growled, “you’re asking her to be a snitch . . . to rat out people who won’t hesitate to put a bullet in her head all so that you could make a name for yourself in exchange” he snapped.

“Mr. Evans, we are fully prepared to take every precaution to ensure Ms. Parkers safety” Agent Wade responded calmly, not at all offended by his heated words.

“Safety,” Phillip snorted, “please, Federal protection isn’t worth shit and you know it . . . she’ll be safer walking into a lions den dressed in raw meat then with your people” he stared hard at the agent, while Liz sat quietly as the two went back and forward.

Agent Wade scooted his chair from the table, “That’s the offer on the table Ms. Parker, you can either take it or leave it . . . it’s up to you” with that said, he buttoned his jacket and left them to their thoughts.

~~~~~~~

Against Phillip’s advise, she had accepted the Feds deal and helped them bring down the second largest money laundering and drug ring in New York.

~~~~~~~

Three months later

“So what now” Liz asked Agent Wade as he sat at the large oak table in the center of the room.

“We get you a new identity, place you in witness protection . . . it won’t be so bad” he tried to assure her upon seeing her forlorn expression. Liz nodded sadly, knowing that she would never get to see her son grow into a man. Never get to watch his smiling face as he recited spelling words or kick a winning goal in soccer. Her thoughts then turned to Max. She wished they’d have met in another life . . . one that wasn’t full of complications. But that wasn’t the case, and she was now forced with leaving the only man who had loved her fully and showed her that she was special and deserved to be treated as such.

The door to the room opened, but she paid the visitor no mind. “Ms. Parker,” Agent Wade called to her, drawing her attention from the window, “the car is here to take you to the airport.” Sighing heavily, Liz pushed away from the wall, and followed the two agents out the room.

~~~~~~~~

Max stared motionlessly at the scene as the anchor man continued his coverage on the evening news.

“...once again, our top story this evening is the murder of Eliza Parker earlier this afternoon . . . it is yet confirmed, but eye witnesses say that Ms. Parker was leaving the court house where she had just finished testifying against the Ramirez family, who were known for their many counts of drug trafficking and was gunned down outside the courthouse. Officials believe that this was a retaliation for her testifying . . . ” Max felt his mother and father sit down beside him, placing comforting hands on his shoulders. He had returned to Roswell after everything had happened upon his mother’s insistence.

“Max” his mother’s concerned voice penetrated his mind, “are you okay” she knew it was a stupid question, but what was you suppose to say in situations like this? Max didn’t answer, he just stood up and went to his old room.

~~~~~~~~~

Six months later

Max dragged himself out of bed at the persisting knock on the door. Looking at the clock which read 6:30 A.M., he groaned. He had just gone to bed three hours prior. Wondering who could be at his door so early in the morning, he searched for something to put on. It couldn’t be his mother, because she would just use her key and let herself into his apartment. Pulling on a pair of sweats, he trekked barefooted to the door. Not even bother looking through the peephole, he swung the door open, only to stumble back in shock.

Beth smiled self conscientiously, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, “Hi, I’m Beth Reynolds and my son and I just moved in across the hall and I was wondering if you could help me move some things upstairs” she smiled. Before she knew what was happening, Beth found herself being pulled into a bone crushing hug. She held onto him tightly, relishing the feel of him in her arms in nearly ten months.

“How . . . what . . . I . . . ” Max was beyond words. He couldn’t believe that she was actually standing here when he had attended her funeral six months earlier.

“It’s a long story . . . one I would like to tell you . . . if you’re willing to listen” she bit her lip nervously.

“Of course . . . come in” he ushered her inside, her hand still clutched tightly in his own.

~~~~~~~~

The whole thing had been a set up. Agent Wade knew Phillip had been right. There was no way she would be safe after testifying against the Ramirez family and putting away the head man Angel. Angel was just as ruthless as Frankie and wouldn’t stop until Eliza was dead. So when he had gotten word from an informate that Angel had a hit out on her, he had set things in motion. He had arranged for the whole scene at the courthouse. To everyone else in the world, Eliza Parker had been killed outside the courthouse, but only Agent Wade and herself had known the truth. He had her remain low for a while, making sure it was safe and the Ramirez family believed she was truly dead. That was why he had arranged for the funeral and everything to make the whole thing believable.

He had also managed to return Nathan to her without questions asked. She had been grateful and had asked him why he had helped her when she had done so many terrible things.

“I believe you have a beautiful soul Eliza, but you were dealt a bad hand in life . . . think of it as a second chance” he had only smiled before climbing into his car, leaving her and Nathan to stare after him.

After that, she was left with the decision of what she was going to do now. She knew she couldn’t stay in New York and returning to LA didn’t seem appealing. There was only one place she had ever want to be. So she had retrieved the money she had hidden in the storage and headed for Roswell where she knew her heart was.

When she had showed up on his doorstep, she didn’t know what to expect, but she needed not to worry because Max had listened openly as she relieved every detail of her life as Eliza Parker and once she was done, he had only held her close, whispering how much he loved her. They had married a year later and Phillip had arranged for Max to adopt Nathan and they have been living a beautiful life every since.

“I think they’re asleep” Max’s voice and gentle caresses across her cheek broke her out of her wandering thoughts. She looked down and sure enough, both their eyes had drifted close and their daughter’s small snores reached their ears.

“I think Sean wore our boy out” Max chuckled, laying down behind her. Sean had opted to stay in New York, but wanted to be apart of Nathan’s life. Since he knew Liz could never return to New York, he would visit often. The last two weeks had been the first time Nathan had been back in New York, and Sean had wanted his new memories to be full of fun to erase the bad memories he had of the place.

“Mmm hmm” she smiled, stroking the top of her children’s head, drifting into her thoughts once again.

“Hey,” Max said gently, noticing the tear sliding down her cheek, “what’s wrong?” He turned her gently around to him. Placing his finger under her chin he raise her eyes to his. Beth hadn’t realized she was crying until he ran his thumb over her cheek.

“Nothing,” she smiled.

“Then why the tears” he probed?

“They’re happy tears Max” she assured him, “I just never thought this would be my life . . . I never thought that I would ever have Nathan back . . . ever have someone love me to no ends . . . ” she answered solemnly.

“Hey . . . if anyone deserves to be happy, it’s you Love . . . ” he kissed the tip of her nose.

“I am Max . . . I’m very happy” she returned his kiss with a little more heat. The ringing of Max’s cell broke through their haze, and he quickly answered it before it woke the children.

“Okay . . . I’ll be right down” he said before hanging up.

“What’s wrong” she asked at the annoyed faced.

“Nothing for you to worry about” his smile returning, “I have to go downstairs and make sure everything is in order for when everyone arrives” Michael, Maria, Alex and Kim were all coming down to welcome Grace to the family. Michael and Maria had married six months prior and still ran the ‘Swirling Cherry.’ Although the Cherry had lost its number one dancer, they still pulled in a nice size income. Alex and Kim were engaged to be married the following fall and had purchased a house together in the suburbs of LA.

“I thought everything was fine” she asked, raising out of the bed. Seeing what she was doing, Max quickly moved to her side.

“It is . . . ” he said, placing her feet back in the bed, “but it’s the first time everyone has been here since we opened . . . I just want everything to be perfect” Max had dropped out of medical school a few months after he returned to Roswell and instead pursue his love of cooking, and he and Beth had opened a restaurant ‘Parks Place.’

“I want you to just lay down and rest” he pulled the covers over the three of them, placing a sweet kiss upon her lips. Max straightened, smiling down at his family.

“Hey,” she called out to him as he approached the door. Max stopped, giving her his attention. “I love you” she said seriously.

“I love you too,” he returned wholeheartedly. He gave her a sexy wink before making his exited. Beth laid her head against the pillow, a smile touching her lips. She could remember a time when she thought she would never utter those words to any man, let alone hear them returned to her with such love and devotion.

The events that happened at Frankie’s estate had died with Eliza Parker and only two people know what truly happened that night three years ago. Beth planned to keep it that way. That part of her life was dead and buried, she was now Beth Evans . . . mother to Nathan and Grace . . . wife of Max Evans and she was happy for the first time in years. It had taken a lot to reach said happiness. She had lost her parents and sister in the process and they were forever in her heart, but she had gained a new family that loved her unconditionally. She was no longer running from her past. Instead, she was ready to embrace the future with Max and their children.

The End

A/N.....sorry it took longer then I excepted to get things set up at our new place and I couldn't post on Friday like I promised. I hope the ending wasn't a disappointment. I'm sad to see this fic end, but happy that I've actually finished. Well, now that I'm finished, I guess you all can except my new fics out soon, maybe even later tonight.

I'd like to thank those of you that stuck through with me on this story and all the lurkers out there as well. I really appricate you all and you make it worth it.

XOXOXOXOXO

LS.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love