Unexpected Circumstances(M/L,Mat) [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Authors Note: Hello guys, thanks so much as always for the great feedback. Puts a smile on my face everytime I read one. :D

Thanks to...
Zanity
L-J-L 76
BehrObsession
Earth2Mama
begonia9508
anonymousarfan
Icequeen
clueless
roswell3053
POM
Jess79
belleoftheball
RoninBehr
nibbles2
Elci
Ellie
Lady_vixen **Hello sister, give my nephew a kiss for me**
LairaBehr4
Lurkers-Hello! :D

<center>Chapter 11 </center>

Just as Max was nodding off face down on his comfortable king sized bed, the shrill ringing of his cell phone had him groaning out loud, just 15 minutes of uninterrupted quiet that’s all I need. Without looking at his cell he hit the silent mode button and covered his head with a pillow.
A smile crossed his face as he felt his eyes growing heavy, sweet, sweet silence.

Not 2 minutes later their was a knocking on his bedroom door that soon turned into pounding.

“Freaking ay, I’m coming Michael.” he sighed heavily as he made his way to the bedroom door opening it slightly.

There stood Michael holding out the cordless home phone,practially sticking it in my face before turning around and walking away without saying a single word.

Max looked at the phone and saw from the caller ID that it was Isabel calling, well better now to get it over with and tell her everything versus putting it off.

“Hey Isabel, I was going to call you later...” he never had a chance.

“You couldn’t even tell me, your own sister?” Her voice was raised and her tone very, very annoyed.

“Tell you what?” What the hell is she talking about?

“That you are getting MARRIED, I have to find out this way, you are so on my shit list Max, this is just...just.” She sighed.

“Isabel slow down, how the hell did you find out that I’m getting married?” Does news really travel that fast?

“That’s besides the point, I cant even begin to tell you how upset I am, we need to talk... I’m coming over.” Max was left with the dial tone buzzing in his ear, with a heartfelt sigh he looked at his bed and walked out of his bedroom.

<center>~*~</center>

Liz stepped out of the dressing room as Isabel was rushing out of the store talking loudly into her cell phone,Tess was standing just outside the dressing room with her mouth hanging open.

“I feel bad for you,she seems like a royal bitch and your going to be in-lawed to her, at least for a while anyways.” Tess laughed as Liz shook her head from side to side.

“I should call him, this looks so bad, it seems that she had no idea huh, he hasn’t told anyone yet I bet and her I am shopping away with his credit card, maybe he wants to call this whole thing off and that’s why she doesn’t know.” Liz was now cracking her knuckles, a habit that Tess knew she did when she was nervous.

“Stop, that sound grosses me out, and if he didn’t want to do this, I think he would have called you by now, we’ve been out for like what 4 hours?” Tess grabbed Liz’s arm and began to usher her out of the store.

“Let’s go get some coffee.” Tess pointed to a pretty little brownstone coffee shop across the street from where they were.

Once they were seated warm coffee in hand Liz relaxed some what, that was of course before Tess opened her mouth.

“So you never told me... did you guys talk about sex?” Tess licked the whip cream off her straw while raising one eyebrow suggestivley as Liz’s jaw dropped.

“No we didn’t talk about sex, there will be no sex, this is a business arrangement that’s it.” Liz was making quite a production of stirring some more sugar into her coffee much anything but look at Tess who could read her face like a book.

“A huh.” Tess grinned her blue eyes twinkling.

“I’m serious Tess.” Liz took a sip of her coffee as Tess continued to grin like an idiot.

“None, of that.... I mean of course who wouldn’t want to sleep with him, he’s gorgeous, sexy, nice...but I wouldn’t comprise this situation even if I wanted to.” She was now twirling a long strand of chocolate brown hair around her index finger over and over again.

Tess smirked and rolled her eyes.

Oh Lizzie you have no idea what your getting into she thought but maybe just maybe this is exactly what you need.

<center>~*~</center>

“Well hello to you too.” Michael barely got out, before getting pushed slightly out of the way by Isabel who was calling out Max’s name and barging into the apartment.

“Max!” Setting her purse down on the brown leather sofa of Max’s apartment she headed straight towards his bedroom down the hall.

“He’s in the kitchen, what’s going on...oh wait you heard about it right, Max getting hitched?” Michael called out.

She turned around so fast that her hair fanned out across her shoulders, the look in her eyes had him regretting he even said that.

“What?” Her eyes were narrowed now in the look he knew really meant “What the fuck did you just say?”

“Umm nothing, I gotta go, some place to be, bye.” He turned around ready to run when the sound of sniffling had him turning around.

“So everyone knew but me?” Her eyes had a glassy sheen to them, fuck I don’t know how to handle crying females.

“No it’s not like that, listen just talk to him before you start getting all hormoned out on me.” Michael took a few steps towards her and not really knowing what to do he patted her on her back.

“I’m not hormoned out okay, I’m upset that’s all” Isabel patted her cheeks with her palms.

“Max get your ass out here, your sister’s here!” Michael yelled out, he had tried his best to get the water works to stop with no progress, this definitely was not his arena of expertise.

Max walked into the living room and found Isabel starring at the floor and Michael doing some very obscene hand gestures at him.

“Isabel what’s wrong why are you crying?” Max took her by the elbow and sat her down on the sofa next to him.

“I was just trying on a dress for a friends wedding I’m walking in, and I hear this woman talking about Max Evans getting married.” Isabel was still sniffling a little bit and was refusing to look at him.

“Okay, that wasn’t the best way of finding out, I agree with you there, but really I was going to call you tonight and tell you, I was just so caught up in everything that I didn’t get a chance to, but I’m sorry you had to find out that way.” He put an arm around her shoulders and gave her a quick hug.

“So then its true, your going to do it?” Isabel finally looked up at him a look of sadness on her face.

“Yeah its in the works.” he nodded as he spoke.

“Oh Max, no... don’t do it, this isn’t the way it should be, you should get married because you love someone... not for the sake of a company, your cheating yourself and this woman who agreed to it.” Isabel was starting to become more animated.

“It isn’t ideal I know that, but this is what’s going to work for me and for her, trust me, I know what I’m doing okay?” Well maybe I don’t know 100% what Im doing but who knows what could happen Max thought but did not say out loud.

“Max when you told me about this plan of yours I didn’t think you were really serious.”

“Izzy not everyone can have what you and Alex have, this is something that I have to do, I really need your support.” he reached out and squeezed her hand briefly.

“I just really didn’t think you were going to go through with it, I guess Im shocked, understandably though.”

“I didn’t think it was going to happen either but trust me, I got it all under control, well almost all of it.” Max threw the bait out... let’s see how long it takes...

“What do you mean?” Isabel was beginning to sit up straighter.

“I could use some help you know with the wedding, I told Liz that I would take care of all the details and I really don’t want to go find a wedding planner, then its going to become this big production...” he trailed off.

“I can help, you know I love this kinda stuff.” Her eyes were now lighting up at the idea of being involved.

“Okay one request, noting outlandish, think very small, maybe 25 people tops, I have to ask Liz if she wants to invite anyone, didn’t even think about that.” Max frowned, that was kind of rude of him.

“All right, count me in, oh man when are you going to tell Mom and Dad?” She was not biting her bottom lip a look of apprehension on her face.

“That’s another thing... I was wondering if you could maybe invite us to your house this weekend, and that way I could have you there for back up when I do tell them, what do you think?”

“You owe me, but okay, I want to be there anyways when you tell them, you know what this is going to be kinda fun.” She was now getting up and grabbing her purse off the sofa.

“So we are okay, your not mad anymore right, I really was going to call you tonight and tell you.” Max was now walking her towards the door.

“I’m not mad, I was just a little hurt...but I understand now, umm maybe you should give your... fiancee... a call though, I was kind of a bitch to her friend, bye.” She shrugged her shoulders before she walked out closing the door behind her.

Max could only shake his head from side to side as he went back to his bedroom.

<center>~*~ </center>

What the hell was it now, if Tess is calling an hour after she had dropped her off at home, she was going to curse.

Liz was finally home after the torturous afternoon and early evening of shopping with Tess.

“I don’t want to go shopping again tomorrow Tess, I’m really tired.” Liz said all in one breath as she picked up the phone and began talking before Tess could even get a word in.

“So you don’t like shopping I take it?” Max’s smooth voice drifted into her ear, making her sit up in bed and grab her sheet closer to her chest. When she realized that she was covering herself up she quickly let go of the sheet. Duh Liz he cant see you!

“Max, I didn’t know it was you calling, I thought you were my friend Tess and she, well the thing is that umm...yeah I actually do hate shopping.” They both laughed.

“It’s all right, I don’t mean to call you so late, but I just talked to my sister who informed me of what happened tonight, and I wanted to say sorry.” Max turned off the flat panel TV on the wall before sitting down on the corner of his bed.

“Max, sorry for what, I’m sorry for her finding out that way, it was just so unexpected you know...was she terribly upset with you?”

Max stretched out on his bed and enjoyed hearing her soft voice, she was very easy to listen to, he gave himself a mental shake at where his thoughts were heading.

She had made it more then clear that she was in this for business and personal reasons.

He couldn’t make this out to be more then what it was, he promptly remember the other reason he called for.

“So, I was wondering if you would be free this weekend, I’d really like to introduce you to my parents and re-introduce you to my sister.”

OH no, the dreaded meeting of the in-laws, okay this is part of the deal Liz you cant say no she thought.

“Of course, what should I wear?”

Max smiled “Whatever you feel comfortable in, were actually going to my sisters house, I’m sure her husband is going to be grilling something on the Barbecue, he loves that thing.”

“All right, at what time do I need to be there?” Mental note to self Liz thought, get a bus transit schedule tomorrow.

“I’ll pick you up let’s say around 4-ish, Saturday?”

“Okay, see you then Max, take care okay?” Liz laid down once again in her bed.

“You too Liz, see you at work tomorrow, bye.”

Liz groaned after she hung up the phone, there was one big detail she had forgotten she was now engaged to her Boss.

Not wanting to think about what was going to be said at work tomorrow she closed her eyes, tomorrow was a another day right?

Maybe the word wouldn’t even get around, she placed the phone back into its cradle and shut off the small lamp by her bed.
Last edited by LovinGuerin2Much on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Long waited for this and finallyit is here!.....
Loved the part and how Izzy was pissed and I understand her reason really well.....
So looking for the meeting with the parents: they are going to have to play lovers so that his father will not suspect something!

Waiting soon for more and thanks! EVE :roll: :wink:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Authors Note:Okay first things first, you guys ROCK! Thanks so much for the feedback and the bumps, its really cool and I HAVE to be honest you guys bring up some really good points! I'm telling you I'm like "I didnt think about this or that!" lol, but its alot of fun and your keeping me on my toes. Bravo.

I hope you like this next chapter, it felt kinda different writing it, cant explain it, hope it reads well lol.

Thanks so much...

sprayadhesive
LairaBehr4
Morning Dreamgirl
Strawberry88
roswell3053
POM
anonymousarfan
begonia9508
Emz80m
Icequeen
DreamerMaxBehrian
Lady_vixen
BehrObsession
Earth2Mama
midnightstar29
jamy21
RoninBehr
katydid
clueless
Blink1lit
maya
roswck
kismet
Erina
Ellie
SarahWhitman
L-J-L 76
& any Lurkers!

<center>Chapter 12</center>

Evans Construction & Imaging - 4:32 PM

I cant concentrate, I don’t feel like working, my right leg seems to have a mind of its own and I cant stop bouncing it. Max laced his fingers together then raised his arms in the air over his head cracking his knuckles in the process of trying to relax. His office was once again feeling like a cage. He had to smile though, just weeks before this is where he thrived, were he felt most comfortable, it wasn’t like that anymore. Things seemed like they were changing.

Maria was supposed to be here by now, when I called her and asked her to come by she said she’d be here in an hour tops...its been almost two.

He got up from his leather chair and began to pace the office, there were so many things he had to do today, he had almost gone to find Liz a few times, just to make sure that she hadn’t changed her mind...thankfully moments later Maria came strolling in.

Max smiled as she dropped her huge purse down on the sofa in his office and wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

“So what’s going on? Sorry I’m late, this customer came in and boy she spent some major mula so I couldn’t just leave you know.... Oh wow you had your office re-done I love this carpet, its amazing.” Maria was now looking around now touching this or commenting about the painting on the wall.

“Yeah I had everything redone a few months ago, but listen I really need to talk to you...” Maria’s squeal interrupted him.

“Max is this real... no it cant be... this a Van Gogh?” Maria now had her nose to the portrait on the wall.

Max now had his arms crossed in front of his chest, this was hard enough to get out and she wasn’t making it any easier on him, he was wound up as a mattress spring.“Maria, it’s real, but listen...I’m getting married.” Whew it was out.

Maria turned so fast she almost knocked the picture off the wall with her shoulder which then had her turning right back around frantically to try to straighten it back to its original position.

Max was there in seconds righting it for her. When he was done Maria grabbed him by the arm and sat him down on the sofa, facing each other.

“Say that again.” Maria has this very pensive look on her face she brought her hand to her chin, her greens eyes searching his face, then back to his eyes.

“I’m getting married.” It was getting easier and easier to say. Since the night before when he had hung up with Liz, he had felt that maybe he was making the wrong decision and confusion had wracked his brain all night. Then this morning he had seen Liz walking towards the building, he remembered everything they had talked about and it made sense again.

“Holy shit, to who and how, I mean you... you... I don’t get it Max.” Maria looked very confused and upset.

Max reminded her about the girl she had given him advice about, but he also mentioned the idea that Liz had suggested, when he was done talking Maria’s eyes had narrowed suspiciously.

“What are you thinking, you looked pissed.” Max said as he brought his hand to his forehead and pushed his hair off his face.

“I’m thinking Max that this all sounds so convenient, she just happens to think this little idea up, what’s in this for her?” Maria was now pacing his office.

“Maria, come on...it took her forever just to agree to do it, besides she’s not like that at all, you’ll see.” Max grabbed her hand and pushed her back down onto the sofa a goofy smile on his face.

She crossed her arms over her chest and exhaled deeply. She did not have a good feeling about this, not a good feeling at all.

<center>~*~</center>

“Excuse me Joan, did you need something or is there a reason you practically have your ear pasted to Mr. Evans door?” Betty Max’s secretary said as she returned to her desk after having gotten a cup of coffee.

“Oh no reason at all, please excuse me.” Joan quickly walked away leaving Betty standing there in confusion.

Moments later, a small crowd had gathered around the water cooler, as Joan whispered what she had just overheard.

<center>~*~</center>

Liz felt as if she had grown a third head over night. It felt as if everyone she walked by, talked to, or called seemed to treat her differently almost a little catty even. She had been working non-stop since 7 am and now at almost 2 was when she was getting her lunch break.

Grabbing a brown paper bag, which contained a turkey sandwich she had thrown together this morning she headed for her favorite lunch spot on the balcony. Again as she walked down the hallway she felt the stares burning holes into her back. No one could know about what happened between her and Max, could they. She hadn’t breathed a word to anyone.

Finally reaching the balcony she was glad that it was empty as usual. Sitting down she began to eat and couldn’t stop thinking about this weekend and what was going to happen.

Was Max planning on telling his family at this little get together, she really hoped not, she wasn’t ready to play this game in front of his entire family. Maybe she’d give him a call tonight and see what he thought about the whole situation.

She figured that if she gave up her apartment she could send her parents the rent money, and then some.

Just this morning she had spoken to her mother and although her father was feeling a bit better, her mother was still having to pull double and triple shifts at her job to break even since her father wasn’t working. He did offer it so why not take him up on it.

Suddenly she heard whispering coming from the far corner, to where a small bench was situated right behind big potted palm trees.

“Well Joan heard something about Mr. Evans getting married, and to Liz Parker of all people, I mean come on he could have whoever he wants, I wonder what he sees in her?”

Someone answered back “Well hello, could you imagine the perks of getting with the President of this place, it has to be for the money and the face that he’s so freaking hot only sweetens the pot.” The sounds of laughter was the next thing Liz heard.

She couldn’t believe it, that’s why everyone was being so cold to her, she got up walked backed into the building not caring who it was that was talking about her outside. She knew that this was going to happen, she’d ignore them all, and work twice has hard, no one was going to be able to say that she wasn’t pulling her work load, no one.

<center>~*~</center>

Just as Maria was about to walk out of Max’s office, she came face to face with Michael Guerin, Max’s best friend for some reason she still couldn’t fathom.

“Hey Maria, how are you doing?” Michael said with a slight smile on his face as Maria took a few steps back into the office almost bumping into Max who had been walking her out.

“Hi, I was just leaving.” She had always though that Michael was cute, but he had a shitty attitude, plus she wasn’t really in the mood to be getting hit on. The whole situation with Max had left her feeling a bit unsettled.

“Don’t leave on account of me, actually I came down to see if Max wanted to go grab a drink or something want to come along?” Michael stuck his hands into his jean pockets as he waited for her to answer.

“Cant, gotta work, I’ll call you later Max.” Without another word she stepped around Michael and out of the office.

Michael watched her as she walked down the hallway, man she looked even better then she did the last time he had seen her a few months ago, plus that long tight skirt was hugging a certain part of her anatomy that he would love to get his hands on.

The sudden smack that landed on the back of Michael’s head had him scowling at Max.

“What the hell was that for?” Michael asked angrily.

“Stop looking at her like that, it just plain grosses me out.” Max turned around and grabbed his keys and briefcase.

“Where are you going?” Michael asked forgetting that for the moment he was supposed to be pissed at him.

“Out, I’ll see you at the apartment in a few hours.” Max turned around and gave him a huge grin before he began to whistle a little tune.

“Great way to treat an old friend you dick!” Michael called out as he quickly followed him towards the elevator.

“Shut up.” Max answered as he continued towards the elevator a smile on his face.

“Where are you going in such a rush anyways?” Michael asked as he stepped into the elevator with Max.

“Well since you asked, I’m going to go pick out the prettiest engagement ring I could find, wanna come with?” He knew the answer to this question before he even asked.

“Hell no, I’ll just go grab something to eat somewhere, Max why are you going to get her a ring for, seems like a waste of money if you ask me.”

“That’s why I didn’t ask you, come on man, feel happy for me, I feel happy.” Max smiled as the elevator doors dinged then opened on the ground floor.

“Whatever man, I’ll see you later.” Michael waved as he walked out of the building.

Max looked at his watch, almost 5 o’clock, he needed some help and Isabel was the perfect person to get it from.

He quickly pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and hit the memory button, he set his briefcase down for a moment and waited for Isabel to pick up.

“Hello loving sister, do you have about an hour or two you could spare for me?” Max was all smiles.

“Hey Max, sure what do you need?” Isabel who had been pulling into her driveway just getting out of work herself.

“I need help picking a ring, I have something in mind can I pick you up in lets say 15 minutes?”

Isabel held back her sigh as she put her car into park in front of her driveway. She was going to be supportive and that meant she had to be there for him, even though she still had second thoughts about the whole situation, she had to admit that he sounded happy though and it was 5 o’clock and he was leaving work. That was a big change.

“Sure I’m home now, come by and pick me up.”

“You’re the best see you in a little bit.” Max hung up and once again began to whistle as he headed to his car, maybe he’d see if Liz was free tonight for a few hours.

P.S. I got some dreamer moments coming up soon, be patient with me guys. :wink:
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Authors Note: Hehehe I'm back, I've been writing like mad since I put up the authors note earlier today. I actually managed to write for the next part too! YAY me.

Hope you like! Oh and LairaBehr4 thanks for the clean rag to wipe the goop off me! lol

Thanks to everyone reading this fic, enjoy. :D

Chapter 13:

“What do you think?” Max held a beautiful square pink diamond ring between his thumb and forefinger, as he moved his hand all the little diamonds around the band twinkled and caught rays of light.

“It’s breathtaking, it really is. You didn’t even need me here, you picked out the nicest ring all on your own.” Isabel smiled briefly.

The salesman behind her cleared his throat discreetly which had Max turning around quickly “I’ll take it, wrap it up for me please.”

The elderly salesman quickly walked away, with a huge smile on his face, the commission on that ring along would make up for all his sales combined for a month.

“How do you think the parental unit is going to take all of this Iz?” Max followed Isabel as she looked into various jewelry cases.

“Well...I think that they are going to be surprised, suspicious because it’s all happening so fast...” Isabel shrugged her shoulders, Max knew how she felt about the whole situation she wasn’t going to discourage him anymore, he needed someone to support him, and that person was going to be her.

He was thankful to her for that.

20 minutes later:

Max had dropped Isabel off at home and was debating on wither or not to stop by Liz’s apartment, he really wanted to give her the ring, but then again he didn’t want to just show up announced. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he waited for the stoplight to turn green.

He decided to just call her tonight, he could wait a few more hours plus it would give him some time to figure out how to propose in a non-weird kind of way.

<center>~*~</center>

Liz was preparing to leave the office, she glanced at her watch and saw that it was all ready 15 past 5:00 o’clock, but she was exhausted it seemed that she had worked harder today to prove a point, but in the end it had just worn her out, she couldn’t continue working like this.

Making her way to the elevator she thought back on how her day had progressed after having heard those women talking about her outside.

Stepping outside it dawned on her that after all it really did bother her, but it was bound to happen, people loved to talk and getting married to the President of the company, well she was fair game now.

The bus soon arrived and she took her regular seat behind the driver, pulling out her notebook she began to review some notes she had taken for a test she was going to be taking next week.

The words seem to blend together, she couldn’t concentrate, the harder she tried the worse she felt.

Closing her eyes she leaned her head against the window and sighed, she needed a hot bubble bath and a good book, in that order.

<center>~*~</center>

“That’s some ring you got there Maxwell.” Michael whistled as he looked at the price tag that was still hanging off the ring.

“Thanks, I think so too.” Max sat down on his leather sofa and put his feet on the coffee table.

“You’re really going to go through with this then?” Michael sat across from him in a armchair, putting his feet up on the ottoman and crossing his arms over his chest, a frown on his face.

“Yes.” Max answered simply, he was getting a bit annoyed with everyone asking him if he was sure, he was most certain that this was the way it should be, there was no turning back for him.

“Okay, I have a question for you, don’t you think that its going to look a little odd when you are around your family and friends and you and this chick are as loving and passionate for each other as 2 glaciers?” Michael began to drum his fingers on his chest.

“What are you saying?” Max raised one eyebrow as he waited for Michael to respond.

“What I’m saying is that to make this thing look real, your going to both have to play the part, and your going to have to have some public displays of affection, catch my drift?” Michael began to pucker his lips and raised his arms up as if he were hugging someone.

Max had to laugh, Michael looked about 15 years old doing that.

“Thanks for that graphic example you just did for me, and your right.” Max answered, he and Liz really hadn’t even thought of that.

“Word to the wise, practice makes perfect, so get to it, see ya.” Michael got up grinning, placed a quick pat on Max’s back and walked out of the room and to the guest bedroom.

Michael was right, for once, Max thought with a shake of his head, there was no way this was going to work if it didn’t appear genuine from the start, his father would pick up on things like that.

He needed to talk to her...tonight.

<center>~*~</center>

Liz had her eyes closed, the sounds of Coldplay were softly playing in the background, her head was resting against the rim of the old white claw foot tub.

The lavender scented bath water and ridiculous amount of bubbles had made her feel so much better.

Liz opened one eye and with her big toe managed to turn the water nozzle off.

Everything was going to work out just fine. Everything would die down at work, and Max had been nothing but a perfect gentleman. Nothing at all to worry about. Drowsing off just a little Liz smiled and sank deeper into the old claw footed tub.

A soft knocking had her sitting up rapidly in the tub, sloshing some bubble water over the rim and onto the old tile floor. Cocking her head to one side she waited to see if she heard it again.

Knock, Knock, Knock

Quickly standing up she grabbed her pink bathrobe from behind the bathroom door and rushed out to see who could possibly be at the door. She closed one eye and peered through the peephole and was very surprised to see Max standing on the other side.

Liz exhaled and looked down at herself. Her hair was soaking the front of her think bathrobe and she was now standing in a small puddle of water. She shrugged and slowly opened the door.

Max smiled sheepishly “Looks like I got you at a bad time.”

“Yes, I mean no, I...” Liz exhaled and gave him a weary smile before stepping aside “Give me a few minutes okay, I’ll be right back.”

Max nodded and made his way into her small and very organized apartment. He had to smile. It looked so comfortable and homey. As he sat down on the flower patterned sofa he couldn’t help but admire the pictures of what he assumed was Liz’s family on the coffee table.

He reached forward and picked one up, Liz had to be 5 or 6 years old in the picture, she had a huge smile on her face and was missing her front teeth. Very cute. He quickly placed it back down when he heard her footsteps.

She came back into the room now fully dressed in a pair of grey sweat pants and a white tank top. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail at the base of her neck. She still looked amazing.

Sitting across from him in a leather armchair she crossed her legs under her self.

“Sorry for stopping by with out calling but there’s something I think we need to talk about.” Max now sat forward and placed one hand on his knee.

“Okay.” Liz looked at him curiously. What could be so important that he’d just show up at almost 11 o’clock at night.

“I was talking about how your going to meet my parents to a friend of mines, and he brought up something that we haven’t discussed, so basically I have no idea how your going to feel about it.” Max began to drum his fingers against his knee.

“Your making me a bit nervous here Max, what is it?” She asked.

“Public displays of affection. If we act like total strangers in front of my family it’s going to look odd. We have to appear as if we are in love and about to be married. How do you feel about that?” Max stared into her eyes and saw the uncertainty there. Not good, not good at all.

“Wow...so ...yeah that did catch me a bit off guard, but your right.” Liz bit the corner of her lower lip softly as she soaked in what he just said. This was going to be harder then she thought. Its one thing to agree to everything that was happening, but now to have to actually kiss, hold hands the whole sha-bang. I’m only human, and Max was...Max.

“So you still want to go through with this, you haven’t changed your mind?” Max looked relieved.

“I haven’t changed my mind Max.” Liz slowly got up from the chair and sat down next to him.

“Well, then I guess this is as good a time as any to give you this.” he reached into his leather jacket and pulled out a small black velvet box.

“Oh Max, you didn’t..I cant accept this.” Liz held her hands up as she shook her head, she knew what was in that box before even opening it.

Max smiled as he opened the box and showed her what was inside.

Liz slowly reached out and grabbed the box out of Max’s hand gently, there fingers making contact for a few seconds before he let go.

“It’s beautiful, it’s the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.” Liz took the pink diamond ring out of the box and admired.

Max slowly reached out and placed his hand over her hand that was holding the ring.

“Can I do the honors?” His hand engulfed her smaller one, and made his stomach tense. He couldn’t deny it to himself anymore, she made him feel things he hadn’t expected to feel. The look on her face was worth more to him then what the ring had cost him hours before.

Liz nodded as Max grabbed the ring and her free hand and slowly placed it on her ring finger of her left hand. It was a perfect fit and looked amazing on her small delicate hand.

There face were inches within each others Liz didn’t think about what she was about to do, it felt so right, for this moment it wasn’t something arranged, it wasn’t something that she was going to get paid for doing. Right now Max was and all he wanted was to place her lips against his.

Max felt drawn to her, he slowly inched ever so close to her, there mouths were so close, he closed his eyes at the same moment that Liz did and seconds later, there lips met.

It felt amazing, her lips were so soft, she smelled so sweet, her damp hair brushed his cheek, without breaking the kiss he moved his hand across her cheek then to the back of her neck, holding her gently as there mouths explored one another for what seemed like forever.

Liz wasn’t thinking for once, she was just feeling, the softness of Max’s tongue against hers the way he caressed her neck. It felt so natural she didn’t want it to end. Moaning softly she took the kiss to a deeper place, increasing the pressure of her lips against his. He responded by biting her lower lip then laving it with small kisses.

Liz stomach felt as if there were a million butterflies flying around, she felt the most intense pull in her lower belly, something that she hadn’t felt in such a long time, it was that, that snapped her out of what was happening. What would Max think, she abruptly broke the kiss and leaned away from him breathing deeply in and out as she tried to clear her head from what had been the sweetest most arousing kiss she had ever had.

Max leaned back into the sofa and stared up at the ceiling as he tried to catch his breathe. That had been amazing, he wished it wouldn’t have ended but there was no way he was going to pressure her...

He gently placed his hand on her back “Are you okay?”

Liz shook her head without speaking, she was looking down at the ring on her hand.

“You should go, it’s late and I cant be late to work, I don’t want people talking anymore then they all ready are.” Liz got up quickly and walked to the door.

Max nodded as he got up placing the ring box on the coffee table before getting up. He wanted to kiss her again, she looked so unsure and small standing next to him, but he didn’t want to push her, if she wanted more, it would be her choice.

“Good night Liz.” Max stood on the other side of her front door.

“Good night Max, and thank you for...everything.” She slowly closed the door leaving Max standing there for a few moments, just looking at her door before he turned around and left.

Liz was now leaning against the door, admiring the most beautiful ring, in her favorite color sparking like a million tiny lights on her finger. What was she getting herself into? She couldn’t deny the little tugs she had felt for him anymore. But could she hold herself back from falling in love with her future husband?

<center>~*~</center>

Max sat in his car taking deep breaths. When he closed his eyes he could remember every touch of Liz’s lips against his. She had felt so good against him, so right and so his. He shook his head, this couldn’t be happening, this was to Liz a business arrangement.

How could they possibly have a relationship? Maybe this hadn’t been a good idea after all. They weren’t even married yet they had time to change there minds right? Maybe things could be different. Maybe he was over reacting, it had been a kiss. But what a kiss it had been.

Groaning Max leaned his forehead against the steering wheel and thought about what he was going to do.

He could not fall in love with his wife, that was for sure, because there was no gurantee that he could keep her.