Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

pooklette
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pooklette »

Thanks! Duly noted, and edited in my fic. :D Can I just say that I love the find/replace feature in Word? I found and changed every instance of that word in my entire fic in less than two seconds.
The Royal Four reign once more...
Now Eight where once there were Four...

The Power of Love
The Power of Eight
The Power of the People
Eccentric One
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eccentric One »

Kath7 wrote:Hee. Now I'm having visions of Jason discussing how the hell to pronounce the name with Jason Katims: "Just say Serena. Does that work?" lol
I liked this. I am now picturing this scene too.

Who knew the character we never see and only gets mentioned in the show once (and just as a future friend) could generate this much interest.

Kara
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Kath7 wrote:Hee. Now I'm having visions of Jason discussing how the hell to pronounce the name with Jason Katims: "Just say Serena. Does that work?" lol

Hahaha. I am now seeing this in my head as well, and I'm cracking up. I'm also seeing him in the future Max costume... :D
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by 2004 »

I hate it when you can tell the author didn't even use spell check the errors are so bad!
Aimee

A Roswellian's Fantasies<center>Image</center>
Jezebel Jinx
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Jezebel Jinx »

I checked previous posts and I couldn't find what I was looking for...

What is the difference between alright and all right, if there is one?

I've done spell check and sometimes it says to change it, sometimes it just leaves it alone. So I'm lost on this. Thanks.
Sig made by AngelFaith
My Fics
Ships: Bangel~Spuffy~Polar~Jumper~Drifter~X-tremer~Awakened Dreamer~Catfighter~Naley~Rogan~Liason~Chilly~Delena~Sebasthryn~Ezria~Jaylee
Jen C
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Jen C »

Jezebel Jinx wrote:I checked previous posts and I couldn't find what I was looking for...

What is the difference between alright and all right, if there is one?

I've done spell check and sometimes it says to change it, sometimes it just leaves it alone. So I'm lost on this. Thanks.
I have wondered that myself, so here is what I found using Merriam-Webster OnLine:

Main Entry: al·right

See: ALL RIGHT
usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school were alright -- Gertrude Stein>.

Jen
Eccentric One
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eccentric One »

From the website I recommended visiting on common grammatical errors on page 3 I think:

Alright vs. All right:

The correct form of this phrase has become so rare in the popular press that many readers have probably never noticed that it is actually two words. But if you want to avoid irritating traditionalists you’d better tell them that you feel “all right” rather than “alright.”

I just love how they address grammar issues in a way that isn't too "bookish."

Kara
I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exhortation. - Sherlock Holmes
Breathless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Breathless »

I've wondered the same thing about 'all right" vs 'alright'. It sounds like alright has become acceptable except to the traditionalists. To me, alright sounds more like a physical condition: "I feel alright", and all right sounds more adverbish (?), as in "All right, where did I put my keys."

that's my 2 cents!
Behr's Bitch
Drogyn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Drogyn »

Breathless wrote:I've wondered the same thing about 'all right" vs 'alright'. It sounds like alright has become acceptable except to the traditionalists. To me, alright sounds more like a physical condition: "I feel alright", and all right sounds more adverbish (?), as in "All right, where did I put my keys."

that's my 2 cents!
Actually, I believe it's exactly the opposite.
Alright is officially not a word. It can be replaced by something in the line of 'ok' like "Alright, let's get out of here"
All right means that everything is right. To quote Herbal from Dark Angel: "It is all right, all the time".
So if you can't replace all right/alright by a simple adverb (such as 'ok') it is spelled 'all right'.
Of course, I could be wrong...
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

Ok so these two mess me up all the time. Sense and Since. It’s not a case of me not knowing when to use which one. It’s more a case of me typing too fast and automatically typing since, no matter what the case.

All definitions copied from dictionary.com

Sense:

1. To become aware of; perceive.
2. To grasp; understand.
3. To detect automatically: sense radioactivity
The boy had sense and knew just what to do when he got lost.
There's no sense in waiting three hours.
The sense of the novel is the inevitability of human tragedy.

Since:

adv.
1. From then until now or between then and now: They left town and haven't been here since.
2. Before now; ago: a name long since forgotten.
3. After some point in the past; at a subsequent time: My friend has since married and moved to California.

prep.
1. Continuously from: They have been friends since childhood.
2. Intermittently from: She's been skiing since childhood.

conj.
1. During the period subsequent to the time when: He hasn't been home since he graduated.
2. Continuously from the time when: They have been friends ever since they were in grade school.
3. Inasmuch as; because: Since you're not interested, I won't tell you about it.

I have also noticed, to, too, and two are commonly misused. The two that are confused the most are to and too, but I’m sure there are some people that confuse the third as well so I will put all three of them.

To:

a. In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city.
b. Towards: turned to me.

a. Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom.
b. To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction.
c. With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health.

3. Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality.

4. In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows.

5. In front of: stood face to face.

6. Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar.

7. Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter.

8. In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road.

9. As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune.

10. Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint.

11. In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities.

12. As compared with: a book superior to his others.

a. Before: The time is ten to five.
b. Up till; until: worked from nine to five.

a. For the purpose of: went out to lunch.
b. In honor of: a toast to the queen.

a. Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to. go.
b. Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to.

a. Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary.
b. Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.

Too:

1. In addition; also: He's coming along too.
2. More than enough; excessively: She worries too much.
3. To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent.
4. Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
5. Informal.Indeed; so: You will too do it!

Two:

1. The cardinal number equal to the sum of 1 + 1.
2. The second in a set or sequence.
3. Something having two parts, units, or members, especially a playing card, the face of a die, or a domino with two pips.
4. A two-dollar bill.
5. In two separate parts: Cut the sandwich in two.