Something Beautiful (M/L, TEEN) 2/2 May 30 COMPLETE

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Chione
Addicted Roswellian

Something Beautiful (M/L, TEEN) 2/2 May 30 COMPLETE

Post by Chione »

Something Beautiful
My beautiful banner is by Anniepoo98!

by Chione

Rating: Teen/Mature

Category: M/L

Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell. Trust me, if I did, Tess wouldn’t have existed. At all. Or she’d’ve gotten her ass kicked way early on. None of this M/T or ::shudder:: Nope. I don’t own Roswell. Just havin’ some fun cleanin’ up.

AN: Remember, at this point, Max is mid-transformation into King Max the Asshole, and Liz is mid-transformation into Bitchy Robot-Liz and so they both may seem a bit bi-polar in parts. But honestly, they’re both pretty fucked up at this point, so bear with me.

Summary: Post-Cry Your Name. Alex is dead. Liz waits outside the morgue, after Max chased after Isabel and the others left. “How do you let someone go? How do you understand that that’s all right? That everything changes? How do you find a way for that to make you feel good about life, instead of breaking your heart? The hardest thing you’ll ever learn is how to say good-bye.” --Allie, Taken, Steven Spielberg

Also, this is technically a one-shot, although I'm posting it in two parts because it's long.

-------------------------------------------------

The pavement was cold beneath my jeans, but I didn’t care. I watched the men move back and forth from the van to the building, then finally pull away to go home for the night, and I didn’t care. I just sat on the curb, staring off at something I couldn’t see, but knew was there. There had to be something. Anything that could explain to me why, how, this had happened. When had things gone wrong? Weren’t our lives screwed up enough, that now we had to deal with normal teenage problems on top of alien invasions and the end of the world?

Of all the things, a stupid car crash.

But it didn’t make sense. None of this made any sense, and I couldn’t stand it.

The others had all left, gone home for the night in groups of twos and a three. But I couldn’t bring myself to move, to stop staring at something that was dancing just beyond my grasp. Alex wasn’t dead. He was--he was Alex. And tomorrow morning, he’d burst into the Crashdown all excited to be going out with Isabel. Or carting around a new CD of the Whits for us to listen to. He couldn’t be dead. He was coming back, right? He had to. He was Alex. He couldn’t just--be gone. Could he?

I knew I wasn’t dealing with this right. Shouldn’t I be sobbing, like Maria, or screaming and crying, like Isabel? God, even Tess was crying and here I was, sitting on the ground, not a tear in my eye.

He was my best friend. How do you mourn that? How do you let that go, move on? Without him in my life, who would I be? He was such a huge part of me. . .

I didn’t have anyone, anymore. Michael’d take care of Maria, he loved her even if he denied it, and he’d been with her the whole night, ever since we learned about-about Alex. Tess had her new family, Kyle and his father, and Max too. Isabel had Max and Michael, who both loved her so much. And I, who always had friends, who always had someone, was alone.

Was this how Max felt all those years, facing the world alone? I’d glimpsed that piece of him months ago, more than a year, really, though sometimes it seemed so much longer. The piece of him that was so lonely, but would never admit it. Why had he been lonely? I suddenly found myself wondering. He’d had Michael, and Isabel, and his parents, even if they didn’t know of his otherworldly origins. He was never truly alone. Or maybe I was just bitter.

I blinked, and the world was altogether clearer, and I wondered when the tears had formed. I couldn’t feel anything. Or smell anything, or hear anything or taste anything. It was all sight, and it was all the building in front of me, that hid from the world Alex’s body. Not Alex. Just his body. Alex could be anywhere, but I’d never know it. He could be standing beside me, scolding me for being so silly about everything. Of course he wasn’t dead. He was seventeen, a whole life ahead of him. He was going to get married, to Isabel, and they’d have lots of alien/human children that Maria and I would spoil rotten. He was going to live happily ever after, because he deserved it, and so much more. He deserved a long, long life.

I shook my head, jerkily. I was being stupid. Alex was dead. Dead. And he wasn’t coming back. I knew that. I knew what death was.

So why couldn’t I cry? Why was every part of me screaming this was wrong? Alex wasn’t meant to die! Not now! Future Max had said himself that Alex was there for our wedding, at nineteen. He didn’t die at seventeen in a stupid car crash!

Alex’s death was my fault. That’s why I was alone, because it was my fault and why should anyone comfort the one responsible? It was my fault.

But if he was supposed to die in a car crash, why should my being with Max or not make any difference? None of this made any sense, but I knew, knew, Alex’s death wasn’t an ordinary accident. Whether it was something alien, left behind when Max healed me, when he changed me, or whether it was my own intuition, Alex didn’t die in an accident. Nothing about this was an accident.

Which meant there were clues, and it was up to me to figure it out. Alex would want that. Alex deserved that. I wouldn’t let him down again. He was dead because of me. No one else would die because of me. No one else.

I stood on legs that didn’t have the strength to do so, ignoring the vague feeling in my stomach that told me I was going to be sick before too much longer. I had to do something other than sit there. Crying wouldn’t help, it wouldn’t bring him back and it wouldn’t answer my questions. I needed to see the body. Not Alex. Just his body. It wasn’t Alex anymore. Then I’d now for sure he was dead, and these foolish hopes would die and I could move on. There’d be some sort of clue, or evidence too, right? There had to be something that would prove I wasn’t crazy. I wasn’t imagining things.

I needed to see the body. A distant part of me knew that was morbid. If Maria were here, she’d be freaking, breathing frantically and crying for me to just let it go. Max would be worried, trying to lead me away from what he thought would be too upsetting. Valenti or Kyle or Michael would grab my shoulders, telling me to calm down, to think clearly, that I didn’t need to put myself through that.

But they were all gone, and I had no control over my feet as they moved toward the building, the door. I needed closure. To say goodbye. Ask forgiveness.

He wouldn’t be dead if it weren’t for me. I had to see what I’d done. What I’d caused.

How I was going to get in didn’t bother me. I’d break in, if I had to. Breaking into the city morgue. Was I such a horrible, messed up person? I couldn’t even explain to myself why I had to see it, much less someone else. What if I got caught?

But I could no more stop my forward movement than I could the setting sun. The door loomed above me, black and thick and metal. Cold and dark, everything Alex was not.

I reached forward.

“Liz?”

It was Max, a voice I’d never mistake. He stepped into the shadows, approaching me with his hands buried in his pockets. A small frown of concern crossed his face.

“I called your house when I got home, and your mom said you hadn’t come back yet. I was worried.” He looked down. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have just left you alone. It’s just--Isabel. . .” he trailed off.

I shook my head wildly, praying he didn’t see the gathering tears in my eyes. I shouldn’t have been ashamed to cry, my best friend was dead. But it was my fault, and for each tear, I felt all the more guilty. What right did I have to mourn him? I might as well have killed him myself! With a little help from Future Max!

I wanted to laugh at the absurdity of my life but I didn’t have the right for that either, because Alex was gone and he’d never laugh again.

“It’s fine. I’m fine.” I managed, knowing I sounded anything but. Max had to know it was a lie, or at least the old Max would’ve. The past few months he’d been a different person. I’d lost faith in how well we knew each other.

“You’re not fine.” he stated quietly. As if it was the most natural thing in the world, he crossed the paces between us and took my hands, tugging me into his embrace. A hand came up to rub my back. “You need to cry, Liz. It isn’t healthy to be so calm, to keep it locked up. I’d really rather you fall apart like Isabel or Maria.”

“Well I’m not Isabel or Maria!” I snapped, jerking back as far as his arms would allow, which wasn’t far at all. I didn’t want to fall apart! If he wanted to play the big strong man to protect the vulnerable woman, he’d have to look elsewhere! I owed Alex too much to fall apart now.

“Well maybe you should be a little more like them!” he shouted in my face, voice tight and a tone I had only heard a handful of times. All when he was ordering people around, all when he was being an asshole of a king.

“Why are you being like this? I didn’t ask you to come here! I didn’t ask for your concern!” I shouted right back. What right did he have to interrupt my peace, what right did he have to tell me how I should be reacting? Alex was my best friend, not his! They were my emotions, my tears! Just because I didn’t seem as upset as Maria and Isabel didn’t mean I loved him any less!

I pulled my arms, trying to pry myself away from him but he wasn’t letting go. “Let go!” My tears weren’t didn’t stay gone, they poured out of my eyes as I fought against him, and I knew I was losing it. But I couldn’t stop. “Let me go!” I demanded, finally pulling back enough to glower at him through the clouds in my eyes. “Please,” I begged, “let me go. Go away.”

He shook his head. “You didn’t have to ask, Liz. I care about you, why is that so hard to understand? You shouldn’t be alone right now, and I won’t let you do anything stupid. You can’t just put this all inside of you and pretend it didn’t happen!” Something flashed in his eyes, and my heart sank in response. “Or would you rather I get Kyle?”

There was gentleness in his voice, accompanied by a sharp blade I didn’t see coming. I thought we’d moved past that. Obviously not, and obviously he didn’t give a damn what I really wanted. Something I never would’ve thought possible for the old Max, but the new Max, well, Tess had finally gotten to him. He’d been different since New York. He’d been a king.

I hated it.

“Yeah, well, he’s probably a little busy with Tess at the moment.” I shot back, determined he wouldn’t see my hurt.

Childish. It was all so childish.

And Alex was still dead.

I deflated. What was I still fighting for? What was I lying for? A better future? Not without Alex. Not anymore. My arms fell limp in Max’s grip, and I let my head drop back to his chest, hiding from his eyes and closing my own from the thick cotton of his shirt. His heart pounded against my forehead, strong and healthy. Human. Normal. What was so different about them anyway, I wondered suddenly. He didn’t feel any different. I could hear his heart, feel every rise and fall of his breathing, smell the slight hint of cinnamon and that something else I could only name ‘Max.’

Whatever the difference was, Alex died for it. I knew that, beyond any doubt, in that moment. I didn’t know how, or why, or anything other than that Alex was dead, and it was my fault. I brought him into the world of aliens, and someone had thrown him out, violently, and covered it up to look like an accident.

Was it an alien sixth sense? That change in me Ava mentioned? Or just a woman’s instinct always talked about but never really explained or understood.

My silence and stillness hadn’t gone unnoticed. “Liz?” Max questioned softly, reaching up to stroke the back of my head. Running his hands through my mused ponytail, pushing out the tie and letting my hair fall around his hand. “Liz?”

I sniffed. “Isn’t this what you wanted? For me to fall apart?”

He was silent. Then, shaking his head, he tilted my chin to face him. “No, you’re not falling apart. You’re thinking. I know that look. What are you thinking about?”

He’d believe me. Of all people, he’d believe me. I believe in you he’d said. He believed in me. “I’m thinking that this is wrong. I’m thinking about everything that happened to bring us here.” I paused, swallowing, terrified to give words to the thought. Aloud it was real. “I’m thinking Alex’s death wasn’t an accident.”

He tensed. “What are you saying?”

“I think Alex was murdered.”

The quiet night air quelled the sound of the word, but it echoed around us nonetheless. Murdered.

“Liz--”

No,” I started, anticipating his next words as if they’d been my own thoughts. He didn’t believe me. “No, don’t ‘Liz’ me. Don’t. I’m not looking for something that isn’t there. I’m not trying to make my life more exciting, or--or find the abnormal in the normal. I feel it. This stupid feeling that’s telling me Alex was killed! By someone or something. Not in a stupid car accident. I know it. I was right before, wasn’t I? I was right, when I said Topolsky was an FBI agent, and you ignored me then. I was right when I went to Sheriff Valenti for help. And I’m right about this. Maybe I don’t have any proof, and maybe I’ll never find any because whoever did this knew what they were doing. But I am right.”

“Why would anyone kill Alex?” he asked, knowing the answer and knowing I didn’t want to say it.

“You know why.” I choked out. Alex was really dead. It was my fault. “But he wasn’t supposed to die. Not yet. Not for another fourteen years, at least. He had fourteen years, and I took it away.” I whispered the last bit into his shirt. I wasn’t supposed to say that. I promised.

But it was killing me. And I didn’t care anymore about the future, or a promise. Alex was dead. I had a responsibility to him.

Max tightened his arms, hand stilling its movement through my hair. “Liz? What are you talking about?” his voice was hoarse. Strained.

I laughed. “I’m talking about the fact that I fucked with the future, and now Alex is dead. He shouldn’t be. He was there at our wedding.”

“Liz--”

I ignored him, continuing. “I know time travel isn’t possible. That’s what I said. I know it sounds insane. But we were supposed to get married, at nineteen, which is--is just too young. But we had fourteen years and then the world ended because our being together chased Tess out of town and the Royal Four, the Foursquare, was incomplete. So you--Future you--came back in time using the Granolith, which is why I knew it was important, to get me to make you--you you--fall out of love with me.” I laughed bitterly, slightly hysterical. “And I did, and it worked, but I did something wrong, and now Alex is dead. Because of me.”

He didn’t move, and I felt the stillness of his chest. Would he be mad at me, for not telling him? I didn’t care. It wasn’t on my shoulders alone anymore, and I could breathe again. I could think again.
Last edited by Chione on Mon May 30, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<center>My Stories
</center>
Chione
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Chione »

Okay, so this is the end of this. There might be a sequel, what happens next and whatnot, later, should I find the time.

Thanks for all the feedback! I really love hearing what you guys think!

And remember, tomorrow's the 31! So go nominate stuff if you haven't already!

Now, I've never written anything like this before, so please tell me how I did. Endings and resolutions are always things that I have difficulty with.

When he did speak, his words were slow, halting. “That’s why you went to Tess. That’s why you said those things.”

I nodded, fingers curling tighter in his shirt.

He continued, pausing between every word as if struggling to find the right thing to say. “You never slept with Kyle, did you.”

I nodded again, though his tone wasn’t questioning. He’d already known the answer.

“You thought the world would end if I didn’t follow my,” he swallowed, “my destiny.”

The way he said it made everything sound so trivial. As if I was just jealous, or afraid. Or maybe I was just defensive because some dark part of me wondered if that’s all it was. If I was making out my own problems with giving Max up into something much bigger. Maybe I was losing my mind, and I’d imagined Future Max.

It made more sense than the truth.

No. I’d done what I had because I had no choice. I couldn’t let the world end, and it would’ve. I did the right thing. I wasn’t doing it because I was jealous, or afraid of his destiny, or intimidated by Tess. I did the what I had to do.

“I didn’t think the world would end. I knew it would. This isn’t about me not wanting to deal with this, Max. It’s about lives. Michael’s, and Isabel’s. They were dead, dead, in that other timeline. I couldn’t let that happen. Everyone was dead.” I could still see Future Max as he explained to me what had happened to Michael and Isabel. His desperation. I wasn’t a poet or a writer. Words weren’t my specialty; I had no way of conveying all those emotions to him. What I’d seen from Future Max was only a small glimpse in to a world where things had started out so right, and gone so wrong.

“So you just walked away? You just let it go, just like that? All we had?” he paused, pulling back from me. “Oh, no wait, you did that in May. I needed you, and you just walked away.”

“And you let me. You didn’t try to stop me, or tell me you loved me, or that you needed me!” I cried. It didn’t matter though, I knew he’d need me and I had walked away. I’d seen and felt all that had happened to him, and I ran away. And still couldn’t explain why. Everything had suddenly grown so big, so out of my control and so much more than just a small town girl and her boyfriend. I reacted. And before I could take back my decision, I was on a plane to Florida. Unlike what Max probably thought, that hadn’t been something to get away from him. Staying with my aunt for the summer had been in my plans since before the shooting.

I could’ve gotten out of it though, if I’d really tried. But it hurt so much, to hear him say that it was only the four of them.

“I know I didn’t. I know I didn’t.” he whispered and looked at me sadly, hands gripping my arms tight enough to leave marks. He shook his head slightly. “But I wasn’t thinking straight. I’d just been told all this--all this stuff, and I didn’t know what way was up, and then you were walking away from me. I never thought I wouldn’t see you again for two months.”

“I’m sorry. I never meant to leave, but I’d already made plans for the summer, and then I thought if I got away, I wouldn’t have to see you fall for Tess.” It sounded so petty. But my fears had been so real. And they’d come true, hadn’t they? Recently, he’d begun to remember their past, remember Tess in their other life. What would’ve happened to me if we’d been together when that happened? It would’ve destroyed me more so than I was being apart from him.

“I needed you, Liz, not Tess. When I had nightmares, when I thought Pierce had killed you, or come back, or taken me again, I needed you. But you weren’t there.”

I tried to pull farther away and he wouldn’t let me.

“You, out of all of them, were the only one who could possibly understand! You saw what they did to me, you felt it, I know you did! And you just walked away. I tried to move on. I tried to love Tess, and I can’t!” He was no longer the calm, collected young man he always made himself be. His eyes were wild, and wide.

“What did you want me to do? Stand in your way? I’m not one of you, Max! The only thing I’ve ever done was hold you back!”

“I wanted you to stand by me! To help me! I never wanted a destiny, or to be a king! You want me to be two different people, but I can’t. You pushed me away when I tried to get you back, and you’re hurt that I stopped. You want me to go to Tess, but you can’t even look at me when I’m with her. You say you want to be friends, but you won’t let me help you. What do you want from me?” He pleaded for an answer.

We were screaming at each other, from mere inches away as his arms held me back and kept me from leaving all at once. How long had all this been growing inside us?

Too long.

But I couldn’t answer. I didn’t know how. I didn’t want him with Tess, I wanted him with me. I wanted him to be Max Evans, the boy who saved my life, not Zan, not a king. But that wasn’t my place. I didn’t have the right to go against destiny. Against what had to be.

“I did what you asked!” he continued, ignoring it as tears formed in his eyes and broke in his voice. “And now you, and everyone else, are mad at me for it! I tried to be just me, and Isabel and Michael and you and Tess pushed and pushed me to be Zan, to be a king, and you know what? I’m trying! But now that I am, all anyone can say is how controlling, how much of an ass I’m being! Well guess what, Liz, you got your wish! I am a king. And kings are controlling! It’s in the job description!”

“I wanted you to fulfill your destiny to your people!” I cried at him. Trying to make him understand. “To Michael and Isabel! And yes, God, even to Tess! I wanted you to lead them, like you’ve always done but more now because they need you! That doesn’t mean you have to change who you are!”

“Yes it does!” he yelled, clipping the end of my words. His eyes were on fire, catching mine and holding. He took a breath, calming himself and finishing. “Because who I am can’t let you go.”

There have been several instances in my life when I could think of no words to say.  I could probably count the number of times on my hands.  When Maria found out there were aliens among us, she ran and screamed.  Just like expected, pictured in a million different movies.  Me?  I asked questions.  Where are you from?  What powers do you have?  Are you alone?  How did you get here?

I even made a list.

But when Max said that, I didn’t have a reaction.  What could I say to that?  How could I contradict that, or say it wasn’t true, that I didn’t want it?

I never wanted him to let me go, any version of him.

“Max,”  I managed to croak, my voice ruined by shock and sorrow and everything the day had dropped on me up until then.  “Max, I-I know that this is hard.  I never wanted to hurt you, or make you be someone you weren’t.  I never wanted to lose you.  But we can’t ever be more than friends.  Tess has to stay, and she won’t.  She didn’t, and the world ended.  God, I-I’m sorry!  I’m sorry.”

His eyebrows turned up, tilting his head at me.  “Why?  Why do I have to be with Tess to make her stay?  We know something’s going to happen now.  We can be prepared.  And what if--what if even with Tess, we’re no match for Khivar?  For our enemies?  Then all this is for nothing, I’ll have given everything up, for nothing!”

I wanted to give in.  But I knew he’d regret it, because he did in the future.  He regretted that being with me meant the end of the world.  I couldn’t bear it to see my own Max become so desperate that he’d give up his hopes, his belief in me, in all of us.  In our love.

“Max--”

“I’ve said it before, I’ll say it now.  You’re everything to me, Liz.  All I want, all I’ve ever wanted.  I don’t know what could’ve made me think we’d be better, stronger, apart, but it isn’t true.  It never will be, no matter what happens.  You’re the reason I survived the white room, you’re the reason I’ve tried to be a king, tried to follow a destiny I will never want.”  He shook his head as if to fight off his own doubts, tipping my chin with his hands to bring my eyes fully on his.  “Please, Liz.  You told me once to have faith in those around me.  Have faith in us, Liz.  None of this is on your shoulders alone!  Have faith in me, because I have faith in you.  We’ll figure it out, I promise.  And you know what? Maybe we can’t stop it.  Maybe the world will end regardless of what we do.  Did you ever think of that?  That maybe the two of us aren’t the reason everything went bad?  There had to be other factors we don’t know about!”

“I know that!”  I shouted.  “I’ve gone over it a thousand times in my head, and I can’t come up with anything other than this!  I love you, Max!  I lied for you, I jumped off bridges for you, I risked getting shot for you, and I’d do it all again!  Do you think I want to be apart?  To watch you with Tess, moving on?  No!  You were right, last year, when you said we weren’t meant to be together.  We aren’t.”

“No.  I was wrong, you proved that to me.  I know you don’t want me to be with Tess!  If we weren’t meant to be together, why have I always been drawn to you?  More so than I’ve ever been drawn to Tess.  God, I was eight years old and I loved you.  That isn’t wrong.  This isn’t wrong.”  Then he kissed me, pulling my face to his as his hand dove for my hair, the other sliding around my waist to the small of my back, dragging me closer.

For so long I forced myself to forget what it was to kiss Max Evans.  The way his mouth moved over mine, drawing me in, into his very soul, his hands spreading their heat across every part of me he could touch, burning me in a way I never wanted him to stop.

He deepened the kiss, bringing me up on the tips of my toes and holding me there even as my knees threatened to abandon me.  God, he knew how to kiss me.

And then came the flashes, familiar and welcoming and completely overwhelming me with memories of the good times.  Our first kiss on my balcony, the strawberries, Michael’s apartment, out in the desert.  Fantasies, both his and mine, swirled behind my eyes, and I knew he’d never have this with Tess.  I’d never find it in anyone else.  Only Max and I, and only together.

We broke away slowly, not ever wanting to really let go.  I could kiss him forever and be perfectly content doing so.

I’d tried to give him up, for destiny, for the sake of the world, and the only thing I learned was that everything was worse without Max.  Because I’d pushed him away, Alex was dead.  How many other things would happen, worse things, that hadn’t happened in the timeline when we’d been together?

I didn’t want to find out.

Burying my head against the base of his throat, my crying turned to sobs that shook the both of us.  I wasn’t sure what I was crying for, Max still loved me, still wanted me.  It hadn’t really sunk in that Alex was dead.  I knew, from my grandmother’s death, it’d take awhile.  Over the days and weeks, I’d find little things that would force it bit by bit into my head until I cracked, and sobbed for days.  Then I’d mourn.  Maybe I was simply overwhelmed, with too many emotions vying for top and it was the middle of the night.  Maybe it was in anticipation of the grief I knew I’d feel when Alex’s death did hit me.

Max didn’t ask why.  He just tightened his grip around me and ran his hands through my hair.  I never understood his love for my hair, to me it was brown, straight and plain.  But he found something in it, something beautiful that never failed to capture his attention whenever he was near.

Finally, he leaned down to whisper in my ear.  “Let’s go home.  We’ve got a long day tomorrow.”

Tomorrow.  And the next day, Alex’s funeral.  A long and surreal day that was sure to be.

I nodded, letting my grip around his neck loosen.  I slide on hand down to take his, wiping away my tears with the other.  His fingers squeezed in response, and he turned to lead me home with a small, gentle smile on his face.  A smile tempered by our circumstances, the fact that our friend lay dead only feet away, but a happy one nevertheless.  Happy just to hold my hand.

Our troubles weren’t over, and after the next few days were over, we’d have a lot to talk about, things to figure out--how things had gone so horribly wrong, for one.  But that could wait.  I was through turning away from him, I promised myself.  You can’t solve the world’s problems with a kiss, but it certainly didn’t hurt.  Maybe the world would end because Max and I were together, but it wasn’t anything I could prevent alone.  Look how far that had gotten me: Alex dead and the group that should’ve been closer was shattered.  We had our work cut out for us.

But for tonight, all we had to do was sleep.

“Just promise me, Liz, that the next time my future self feels the need to inform you of future ends-of the world, you’ll tell me.  Promise me you won’t take it all on your shoulders again.”  he said, glancing at me as we walked side-by-side down the streets of Roswell.  The Crashdown was just up ahead, and I knew it’d never be what it once was to me, not after learning Alex was dead there.  That memory would haunt me every time someone came through the door to the back room.  But it was home, for another year at least, and my parents, my parents who didn’t know about Alex, would be frantic wondering where I’d gone off to.  Wondering if I was spending another night alone in the desert with Max Evans, who they’d thought was out of my life.

Reaching the door to my apartment, I looked over at Max.  “I promise.”  And I meant it.  I was tired of being strong, of doing the right thing.  I wanted to be happy.

He smiled wider, nodding in satisfaction.  He knocked with his free hand, his thumb caressing the back of my hand in comfort.  My parents didn’t know Alex was dead, unless someone had called them.  If they didn’t, I had to tell them.  If they did, I’d be met at the door with pity and tears and smothering worry.  I didn’t need that.  I wasn’t ready to talk about it, or cry about it, or fall apart.  It was too new, too fresh.  Alex would be in the Crashdown the next day for breakfast, my heart was insisting despite my head’s acknowledgment of his death.  He’ll be so excited about finally dating Isabel, it pressed on, and I had to just swallow it, wait with a futile hope for his familiar face in the morning.

My mom opened the door.  “Oh, Lizzie.”  she started, a hand over her mouth.

She knew.

I put my head on Max’s shoulder, stifling a cry.  Alex isn’t dead!  my heart shouted.  He can’t be dead!  Don’t look at me like that!

“Thank you for looking after her, Max.”  My mom turned to him after she got a poor response from me.  “Why don’t you come in?  It’s late, and there’s been too much grief today already.  I don’t want you driving home right now.  I’ll call your parents, I’m sure they won’t mind, under the circumstances.”  Max’s Jeep was still at the Crashdown from earlier, when we’d all rushed out to the morgue.

I didn’t want him driving either, and not just tonight, ever.  I remembered too vividly our accident the year before, seeing him so still and pale.  Alex had died in a car accident.

I tugged his arm when he hesitated.  “Please.” I begged.  I didn’t want him to go.  I wanted him safe, where I could still see him, reassure myself that he was there, and alive.  Maybe I’d actually sleep a little.

He sagged, following me inside and past my father, standing just beside the door with a frown at Max.  My mother ignored him, leading us through the hall back to my room.

I knew there was a catch.  Even considering the situation, they’d never let Max stay the night in my room.  Not after last year and the eraser room.  Or the night following, out in the desert until late morning.  My parents weren’t that lenient.

“Max sleeps on the floor.”  My mom stated firmly, dragging a sleeping bag from the hall closet.  She tossed a glare at us over her shoulder.  “And the door stays open.  But our couch isn’t big enough to sleep on for a teenage boy, so this’ll have to do.  I don’t expect anything to happen, but I’m not giving you the opportunity.  I know teenagers, and I know their hormones.  That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate you being here for Liz, Max, because I do.  I know you’d probably rather go home tonight, but it really is very late, and this hasn’t been a good day.  You shouldn’t be behind the wheel with such negative emotions.”

Max shook his head.  “No, Ma’am.  I actually prefer being able to stay here, make sure Liz is all right.”  He rubbed his hand up and down my arm, looking down at me and the tears in my eyes.  “It’s going to be a rough few days, but we’ll get through it.”

Mom nodded.  “It’s nice to know Liz has someone who cares so much about her.”

I blushed, wishing they wouldn’t talk about me like I wasn’t there.  Or like I was an invalid.  Max had lost a friend to, and my parents had practically lost a son.  But I knew they were just worried about me.

My parents left us alone then, with another emphasis on the door staying open, and Max laid out the sleeping bag between my bed and the door.  He glanced back and forth between the door and the window, obviously mulling over something.

“You really think Alex might’ve been murdered?”  he asked, sounding only slightly less disbelieving than he had before.

“I know it.”  I answered immediately, trusting my gut.  Alex’s death wasn’t an accident.  I didn’t have any proof, but I’d find some.  Everyone makes mistakes, and whoever had done it would’ve left something behind.  I just had to look.  I needed Max to have faith in me.

“By who?  Who would’ve killed Alex?”  he asked, eyebrows raised high.

He wasn’t going to like what I had to say, nor would Isabel if she ever heard of it.  He’d feel responsible, because he was Max and that’s what he does.  But I didn’t care.  Alex lost his life over it, if I could just get Max to see nothing everything that happens, alien or not, is something he can control.  “Look, Max, Khivar was obsessed with Isabel in your past life, right?  What if Alex was, like, in the way or something?  Or the skins, what if not all of them were destroyed--”

“You don’t know anything about Khivar, about our enemies!”  he snapped, keeping his voice low.  “Alex’s death isn’t our fault!  It was an accident!  Not everything that happens is alien-related, Liz.  Stop looking for things to be not normal!”

“Neither do any of you!  You know nothing about Khivar!  You know nothing about the skins, you don’t have any idea if the ones in Copper Summit were it, or if there are more!  You don’t even know if any skins survived Tess’s firestorm, because Nicholas reappeared in New York, and you thought he was dead!  What’s that, Max?  It means you don’t have any idea!  That’s the problem!  How are we supposed to fight an enemy, protect ourselves, when we don’t know anything?”  I retorted.  Suddenly I was angry.  He talked of trust, of faith, and he didn’t have any in me.  I’d been in this alien abyss for two years, I was there for everything.  They didn’t begin to learn anything about their past, about who they were, until I’d been shot.  I was as involved in the alien chaos as any of the actual aliens, I was every bit in as much danger, yet they acted as if we were the enemies!  They kept us, me and Maria and Alex, kept us at a distance.  They always had!  “Some trust, Max.  Some faith.  I’m trusting you when you say you won’t let the world end, you won’t let that future happen.  That’s a hell of a lot of faith.  Yet you don’t even consider that I might be right.  Why?  You said you had faith in me.  Have faith in me now. Please.  I’m not wrong, not this time.”

He shook his head, not to deny what I was saying but in frustration.  “I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have said it like that, I just--I don’t want to think Alex might be dead because of us.  I don’t want Isabel to think that either.”

“I didn’t mean it was your fault.”  I hurried to correct.  I’d never blame him, or any of them.  I just wanted to know the truth about Alex.  “It wouldn’t be, if Alex was killed by our enemies.  We’re in this, human or not.  It’s my fault you got exposed in the first place, and we’re part of your group now, we know too much about you for your enemies to overlook us.  But it wasn’t your fault, or Isabel’s.”  I laughed, not happily but in remembrance of happier times.  “Alex was the one who wouldn’t leave Isabel alone.  He was too in love with her.”

Max smiled at me, sadly this time, as he reached over to take my hand once more.  “He was, wasn’t he?  I wonder if now, knowing he’d die, if he’d take it back.  If he’d step back from her.”

I met his eyes.  It’d been a long time since we talked.  Just talked.  But I remembered Alex, only a few weeks ago, enthusiastically telling me of his experience underground with Kyle.  I remembered what he told me.  “You know what?  I don’t think he would.”  I wasn’t just referring to Alex, and he knew it as his face turned somber.  “He told me that when he and Kyle were stuck in that cave, with the alien crystals, and they thought they were going to die, he didn’t regret a thing.  Because of Isabel, and because we’re a part of something millions, billions of people don’t know, would love, maybe even kill, to know.  He said it was worth it.”

“Is it?”  he asked, the amber of his eyes glowing down at me.  There was only one light in my room on, to the side of us now as he moved to stand in front of me, just beside the window.  It made his eyes unnatural, beautiful, but bright golden.

I nodded.  “Yes, it is.”

“Why?  What good has ever come from this?”  He was sad, losing the enthusiasm he’d had when pleading with me earlier.  Then he’d been so sure of what we had, that it was good, and worth everything.  His eyes, his tone, said he didn’t think it was for me.

“Us.  This.  Maybe it’s hard, and maybe we don’t have the best track record, but aren’t the times when we’re happy?  when we’re together, and in love?  Aren’t they worth it?  I didn’t stay with you because of the excitement, because I was part of this grand secret.  I stayed because I love you, now and always, no matter how things turn out.  It won’t bring Alex back, and it won’t erase what happened in the white room, it won’t prevent the things to come, but it helps.  I gives me a reason to not give up, now that my best friend is dead.”  I could barely choke the words.  Alex.  Silly, wonderful Alex.  Sweet Alex, who knew way too much about women, who wallowing in ice cream with me and Maria when we had trouble.  Max, Maria, my parents, Michael and Isabel, the Valentis.  They were all I had left.  Alex was such a large part of me.

I had to find out the truth.  I had to know what had happened to him, not matter what.  He would’ve done the same for me.

“I have to know, Max.”  I said, hoarse from the lump in my throat, growing steadily larger the more I let my thoughts run.  “I have to know what happened to him.  I have to.”

“I know.”  he whispered, hugging me close.  “I know.  We’ll find out, I promise, whatever the answers are, we’ll find them.  I won’t let this happen again.  I won’t let anymore of us die.  Human or alien.”  He pressed his lips to my forehead in a kiss, lingering as his hand buried its way into my hair just at the nape of my neck.

“I can’t believe we have school tomorrow.”  I mumbled, leaning my forehead against his like we always used to.

“I know.  So we need to sleep, school will be hell.”  He tried to smile, his breath mingling with mine, warm on my lips.  “Come on, lets get you to bed.  I’ll be right here on the floor if you need me.  For anything, Liz.”

I nodded, grabbing my pajamas from the top of my bed where I’d left them this morning.  His eyes followed me to the bathroom, until I shut the door to change.  And when I stepped back out, dressed in an oversized t-shirt and loose pants, his eyes picked back up where they’d left off, trailing me as I slid under the sheets of my bed.  I smirked at him.

“You gonna watch me all night?”  I teased, loving the knowledge that he’d be there when I woke up in the morning.  That I got to spend the night with him, however innocently it was.

“I just might.”  he answered, voice low and entirely serious.  He walked over to his sleeping bag, watching me from the corner of his eye as he slipped off his shirt.  Grinning in amusement as my eyes automatically widened, drawn lower to his bare, muscled chest.  “You gonna watch me all night now?”

I flushed and dropped my head down to my pillow, curled up on my side facing him.  Content watching him as he folded himself in the blankets, twisting to lay on his side, facing me.  We stared at each other, only a foot or so between us. It was our favorite pastime, getting lost in each other’s eyes. Maria said it was because we were soulmates.

Alex would never have that. He’d only just begun to win over Isabel and now he was dead.

Before Max could catch the tears returning to my eyes, I twisted my head back into my pillow. I knew he knew I was crying again, and I felt his hand on my shoulder instants after turning away, and felt his warmth as he slid under the sheets beside me.

“It’s all right, Liz. It’s okay to cry.” he whispered in my hair, rubbing a hand up and down my back. He didn’t say anything else, there wasn’t anything to say. Nothing would bring Alex back, nothing would make this pain go away but time, and even that wouldn’t help, I knew. There’d be a hole in my heart, in all our hearts, forever.

Max’s chest shuddered beneath my hands as he fought back his own mirroring sobs. We both cried, laying in each other’s arms, until I felt the world slip away into calmness.

There was no where else in the world I’d rather be. There was no place in the world I’d feel as safe, as loved. I could face anything with his arms around me.

His heart beat against my ears, in time with my own, and I slept.

As she headed downstairs to start opening the cafe, Nancy stuck her head in her daughter’s room. She nearly shrieked at the sight of Max Evans in her daughter’s bed, cradling her in his arms as they slept. Only the view of their clothes, fully on and in the appropriate places, kept her quiet.

She stepped in the doorway for a closer look. Max’s face was buried in the crook of Liz’s neck, his arms locked tight around her waist. Liz had obvious remains of tears on her cheeks, but in sleep she looked peaceful. Happy just were she was.

There was something else to the picture Nancy couldn’t place. It was more than just two teens sharing a bed. Something profound. Nancy couldn’t think her teenage daughter had found true love at her age. Maybe she just didn’t want to think that. But whatever it was she was seeing, it was something beautiful.
Last edited by Chione on Mon May 30, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>My Stories
</center>