THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Epilogue - 11/6/16

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 7

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mama: Nothing Bane does is by accident. ;)

We’ll find out very soon.

Roswelllostcause: Lol, it may get more confusing but eventually it’ll make sense.

L-J-L 76: Things will become clearer before too long.

begonia9508: Lol, Bane is many things but patience with this particular blonde is not one of them.

Eva: We’re glad because there are going to be a ton of questions as we move forward.

sarammlover: Buying time may just keep them alive. We won’t have long to wait before we find out what Valkyrie’s next move is.

keepsmiling7: We’ll find out soon!

Part 7

Home of Liz Parker and Max Evans – Washington DC – December 2015

“She’s gone.” Liz stumbled into the bedroom, agitated, ripping the small walk-in closet open to find a new shirt to wear even as she was fighting her way into a pair of skinny jeans.

“What?” Max’s voice was still hoarse from sleep when he sat up in the bed slowly, squinting against the light coming from the hallway. “What time is it, babe? Why’re you already up?”

“She’s gone, Max,” she repeated, throwing his pants at him. “I was just getting a glass of water and found a note from her. You have to get up.”

He was suddenly wide awake and he jumped out of bed, getting dressed as well. “What’d the note say?”

She turned towards him while buttoning her white shirt up. “That she had to leave and she’s sorry.”

“That’s all?”

“Yeah,” Liz looked at him, worried. “Damn it, Max, we should’ve tried harder. We knew something was bothering her. What if she went to see that guy again?”

“Maybe she just went home. It doesn’t have to mean-”

“I already called. She’s not at her uncle’s place. She hasn’t been there since yesterday.”

“What about her cell?”

“Goes straight to voicemail. I already called in to locate it, but they said there’s no signal.”

He frowned. If there was no signal it could only mean one thing. Someone had turned it off and most likely destroyed it.

“I told them about her odd behavior and they’re already running checks with every local security camera to see if there’s any sign of her.”

“Okay, good,” he pulled the tee shirt over his head. “Maybe they’ll find something.” Most likely they wouldn’t, he thought. It was dark, security cameras didn’t deliver high quality feed and if someone had taken her, then he supposed they had been smart enough to do in a safe location.

“Yeah, maybe,” she agreed without any hope.

“Hey,” Max went to his upset girlfriend and took her in his arms, “they limited our job down to protection in college and while she stayed with us. We didn’t have clearance to investigate so we couldn’t protect her the way she needed to be protected.”

“I know, but she’s more than a job. She became our friend and I feel horrible enough about lying to her, but now we couldn’t even prevent something that shouldn’t have happened. It feels like we’ve failed her twice.”

He sighed, feeling the exact same way. Playing undercover college kids to secure Maria Deluca’s life hadn’t been their favorite job when they’d received the assignment. But over that time they had built a friendship with her and some days it had felt like a real life even. “We should call Reginald Halverson.”

“I already did and he was on his way to DC anyway so he should be here within the next few minutes.”

“Okay, good.” It wasn’t good because the guy wouldn’t be happy about it.

They went downstairs so Max could take a look at the note and as soon as the coffee was ready to be served Reginald Halverson hammered against the front door. The racket sounded agitated enough to make them both pause for a moment.

“He’s gonna fire us,” Liz said.

Max nodded and went into the living room to answer the door. “Yeah, I know. Maybe it’s for the best. We can put a request in to help with the case.” Although it was more likely the senator would do everything in his power to cut them from any involvement in the case. He placed his hand on the doorknob, giving his girlfriend a silent nod before opening it.

“Good morning, Senator Halverson. We-”

“How could you let her leave in the middle of the night?” the man barked, breezing into the room like a hurricane. “Was it too much to ask to keep an eye on my niece while she stayed in your apartment?”

“We weren’t allowed to-” Liz started.

“I don’t care what the orders from your office were. She was with you and common sense says it’s a bad idea to walk around DC alone at night. You should’ve stopped her.”

“With all due respect, Senator,” Max pushed himself between the man and his girlfriend, “it’s against every law we’re all fighting for to hold a person against their wishes. We weren’t authorized to take such action. Our orders were clearly stated. We were only to observe her and report anything in her regular day-to-day life that was suspect, which we did.”

“A piss poor job is what you did.” Halverson ran a shaking hand over his face, the newest events pushing his blood pressure higher and higher. “I’ll be calling your boss to let him know your services are no longer required, but first I want to know every small detail you noticed within the last few days, and I mean everything.” Maybe he could narrow potential threats down this way because he knew if his niece was in the hands of a certain someone then he hadn’t much time – maybe it was already too late.

A motel northeast of Washington DC – Maryland – December 2015

Bane watched her sleep. Her features were mobile and her movements were restless, but she slept. He had dozed off and on throughout the night, trained to sleep so lightly that the slightest sound would immediately wake him. He had been awake for the past hour, well before dawn even thought about breaking, and he had run out for a few necessities. The warning system he’d set up would immediately alert him if anyone attempted to enter or exit the room so he’d determined the short run for errands was an acceptable risk.

He couldn’t be stopping on the road at regular intervals. They had to move on to the next safe house and get there as soon as possible. If Parker and Evans hadn’t realized she was missing yet, it wouldn’t be much longer before they did, and then a report would be filed. Her uncle was a politician, a high-profile one at that, which meant before long her face would be plastered all over the news. He couldn’t risk having someone identify her and pinpoint their location.

No one knew about the safe houses. They were all set up under different identities and he’d never physically been to a single one of them. He needed to get her to the second one he had decided on, give it about eighteen hours, and then move on to the next one. He wanted to be on the move for as short a time as possible to minimize the chances that someone might recognize her once the story hit the news.

He had allowed her to sleep as long as possible but time was running out on them and they needed to get moving again. “Hey, Blondie.” His voice was raspy as he called her and with nothing more than that she began to stir. “Let’s get a move on. I wanna be on the road before the sun comes up.”

Maria frowned and rubbed her forehead against the pillow, wishing that this was all a nightmare, and when she opened her eyes he’d be gone and she’d be home in her own bed. She reached up to rub them before forcing them open and as her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting in the room she sighed. So much for that wish.

“C’mon, go wash up or whatever so you can get ready to go. Soon as you eat we’re outta here.”

Eat? She sniffed the air delicately, not wanting to give him the satisfaction, and after a moment the scent of pancakes and sausage filled her nostrils. McDonalds’ pancake platter would definitely hit the spot, but she wasn’t hungry. She refused to be hungry because he expected her to be. Her stomach had other ideas though. Against her will it rumbled and she pushed herself up as she glanced down. Ungh, she’d slept in her clothes and she had nothing to change into.

“What’s the problem now, Princess?”

She shook her head. “Nothing.”

“Good, then hurry up.”

She got to her feet and disappeared into the bathroom, washing up as much as she could before returning to her gourmet breakfast. “Where are we going now?”

“Further away from DC,” he mumbled while he checked his weapons.

She ripped the plastic off of the plastic utensils and popped the top off of the Styrofoam platter. The pancakes weren’t hot but they weren’t cold either. Although there were better things for breakfast than lukewarm pancakes with congealed syrup. “You can tell me where. I mean, it’s not like I can go anywhere or tell anyone.”

“No, but it’s better if you don’t know. That way no one can torture the answer out of you.” He went to the window and pressed himself against the wall next to if before looking outside. There was an old red truck parked outside. It didn’t seem suspicious but it hadn’t been there before either.

“So you don’t wanna tell me in case I get caught because they might torture me for information about your location?”

Bane let go of the curtain and looked at her intensely. “Exactly.”

“Well, don’t I feel special,” she muttered. “You’re not very friendly.” She poked around the paper sack and sighed when she unearthed the hash brown and several ketchup packets.

“Friendly people don’t kill others,” he told her coldly and went to pack the rest of his things.

“That would explain a lot.” She slathered ketchup all over the hash brown before taking a bite of it. “Mmm, these are the best. So why does someone want me dead? You have to know that, right?”

“No, I don’t,” he answered truthfully. “But if I had to guess I’d say someone doesn’t like you sniffing around in the past.”

“Why? Because I’m right? Because my entire family wasn’t killed by an explosion related to a gas leak?”

“I fucking don’t know.” He pulled at his hair, frustrated.

“So you kill people without asking any questions? Why? What if you’re assigned to kill some nice person just because they did something someone else doesn’t like? What if they’re a decent person with a family and a life and you kill them and take all that away from some nice family?”

He grabbed her arm hard. “Then it’s still my job. What’s the difference between good and bad? What should I look for before I make a decision? Do you think rapists or child abusers don’t have nice families sitting at home? Kids who would never believe what their dads do in their free time? There are people out there carrying the guilt for hundreds of murders and every night they come home and play happy family.”

“Well, I’m sure a certain amount of discretion needs to be used, but what about someone like me? All I’m apparently guilty of is poking around into my own past. How is that a good reason to kill me?”

“Well, Blondie, obviously there’s something that someone doesn’t want you to find.”

She sighed and finished off her pancakes. “I still don’t think it’s a good reason to kill me. It’s my past. I have a right to know why my family was killed. And yes,” she said as she shifted around to look straight at him, “I believe they were killed. It wasn’t an accident. My grandpa was too careful for something like that to happen.”

He nodded. “What about your uncle? Was he ever involved in anything illegal?”

“Uncle Reggie?” She snorted. “What the hell could he be involved in? Other than the bullshit political machine he’s a slave to I can’t imagine anything else.” She fell silent for a moment as she thought about all the meetings he went to, meetings that didn’t seem to have anything to do with politics on the Hill.

Bane snorted. “Are you kiddin’ me? Politicians are the worst kind of all of ‘em.”

“So you think he had something to do with what happened to my family?” She shook her head. “He’s a pompous ass most of the time, but he wouldn’t have done anything like that. If he had why would he bother taking me in after it happened?”

“Maybe he wasn’t the one planning it, but he could still be involved.” He shrugged, throwing everything on the table into the trashcan. “Let’s move.”

“On your motorcycle?”

“Yeah.”

“Is it gonna be a short ride? Because I hate to be the one to bring it up, but it’s kinda like freezing cold.”

“It’s not short, but it’s necessary. They’re after us, Blondie. Do you have any clue just how much separates you from death?”

“Yes, you.”

He nodded. “At least you got that right.”

She made a face at him. “You know, you should work on your people skills.”

“And you should work on your shut up skills,” he replied drily.

“Work on your shut up skills,” she mocked under her breath. “So, just out of curiosity, if someone were to come after us and capture me... would you let them get away with me? Or would you just kill me to make sure I didn’t reveal any information to them?”

“What kinda information do you have about me?”

“I don’t have any information about you!”

“Then it wouldn’t be necessary to kill you.”

“You wouldn’t come after me though, would you?” She stared at him, wanting the answer and scared of it at the same time.

He faced her directly, studying her features and taking in every sign of her body language, starting with the fast pulse showing at her throat and ending with the nervous movement of her eyes. “You haven’t given me a reason to do so.”

“So you’d just let them kill me.” She nodded to herself. Of course he would, he was a hired killer. She had let the fact that he had saved her the night before cloud her thoughts for a moment.

“If they captured you, you’d wish they’d kill you,” he growled.

“That’s sooo not the point.” She got to her feet. “Nevermind, it doesn’t matter.”

He went to a paper bag and fished a black jacket out. It wasn’t stylish but it was the only thing they had in the little store and it would keep her a little warmer on their ride than his sweater would. “Put that on and let’s go.”

Had his answer been different she might have thought his gesture had been made out of kindness, but she knew better. It was a means to an end, nothing more. She shrugged into the jacket and zipped it up before waiting for his next order.

Bane looked at her, trying to decipher what was going on in her head. She played it tough, but she had to be confused too. “I want you to stay close behind me,” he said in a monotone voice while he pulled on the bulletproof vest.

“Um, as the moving target, I’d really like to have one of those.”

“If you do what I tell you then I’ll block you from every possible danger. When we start driving, you’ll sit in front of me. We’ll change places after a few miles.”

Was that even possible? “You want me to drive?”

“Hell no, you’ll just sit in front of me.”

“Okay,” she said uncertainly. “I didn’t know the passenger could sit in front.” She shrugged when he just looked at her. Hell, she’d never been on a motorcycle until last night, how was she supposed to know?

Bane walked to the window and glanced outside one more time before opening the door and grabbing the backpack next to it. “Put the helmet on.”

Maria did as she was told without another word in spite of the desire to tell him where he could shove the damn thing. She was fed up with this entire situation, but he was the only thing standing between her and a bullet. Until he turned on her, she reminded herself.

Movement caught his attention. A silver Ford was passing on the street and turning onto the dirt road that led to the motel. He adjusted the black ball cap on his head, pulling it deeper over his face while he watched.

Shit. With a quick more he went back inside and closed the door.

“What?” she asked, hating the fear she could hear in her voice.

He switched the light off, leaving the room in semi-darkness thanks to the time. “Bathroom.”

She hurried into the room, ready to turn and tell him that she didn’t need his help when he shoved her into the bathroom.

He went past her and opened the small window. It was big enough to climb out of it and it was at the back of the building, facing the parking lot.

Valkyrie watched as Bane climbed through the window, squeezing his muscular body through the frame. She shook her head and waited for the woman to appear, lining her head up in the crosshairs. Her finger brushed the trigger but she didn’t squeeze it. She smirked at the impatience on Bane’s features as he rushed the woman while scanning the area for her. He could feel her presence, he knew she was there, but he couldn’t see her. It would be driving him crazy.

“Stay behind me,” he told the woman with him and reached behind to feel if she was there. “Head behind my back. Don’t look around, just follow.”

She followed their every move as he conducted evasive maneuvers while keeping the woman carefully hidden behind him. She waited until they were on the motorcycle, taking her time as he kick-started the machine and it roared to life. She had to find answers and to do that she needed time. She shifted the angle of her weapon, taking them out of the crosshairs, and taking a shot.

Bane felt the rush of the bullet that missed them by a few inches. Valkyrie, he thought, relieved they hadn’t sent someone else yet – but it was just a matter of time. She hadn’t planned to kill them otherwise she wouldn’t have missed the target. But how had she known about his location so quickly?

Valkyrie removed any trace of her presence on the wooded hill behind the motel and made her way back along the unmarked trail. She needed to get back to the city so she could look for some answers.

The wind was harsh and cold against them while they drove at a high speed. No one was following them, which affirmed his guess about the shooter. The small body in front of him trembled, mostly from fear he’d guess, but part of it was probably the weather as well.

He stayed on the highway for half an hour then turned off onto a small road that led towards a small town. It wasn’t on his list of safe places but they needed a car to continue. And they needed to talk, he mused. She had to tell him what she knew if she wanted him to go on. She had to tell him about the pictures or else he would end this right here and now.

Maria looked around, not recognizing the name of the small town. Population 137, she thought with a second glance at the sign to make sure she hadn’t missed a number. That wasn’t small, it was practically non-existent.

The motorbike came to a stop when they pulled up in front of a small supermarket. It was still closed, but he knew it wouldn’t take him more than two seconds to get inside. These small towns hardly dealt with many visitors, they wouldn’t bother to buy a high end alarm system.

“What’re you doin’?” Maria asked, her voice trembling as he helped her off of the bike roughly. She was freezing and she might not be an expert but she was pretty sure someone had taken a shot at them.

“We need a car,” he stated, glancing around and finding a few parked trucks close by. The whole town seemed to be still sleeping which was to their advantage.

“I don’t think they have a car rental place here and if they do it won’t open for hours probably.”

He didn’t dignify that with an answer, just dragged her towards the back of the shop. As expected, there was a door and he worked quickly to open it. There was a camera at the edge of the building, but he knew the type and as soon as they went inside he found proof. Yeah, just put up there to scare potential thieves off, there wasn’t even a recorder attached to it.

“Find some food, a few items of clothing, water, and wait here for me. Don’t move past the windows.”

“You want me to steal from these people?” she gasped.

He inhaled sharply and stuffed his hand into his pocket to pull a few bills out. “Leave it on the counter.”

“Okay.” She felt a little better with his concession. She made a face when he issued another order not to touch anything other than the things she was taking because she’d leave fingerprints behind. She placed the money on the counter and turned to move to one of the aisles. She collected the things he had sent her for, locating a backpack hanging on a display and shoving everything into it. “Hey...” She frowned as she realized she didn’t even know his name. “If you’re so worried about fingerprints, is it safe to leave the money? I mean, I don’t wanna steal from them, but the cops would look for fingerprints, right? That’s why you said to take anything I touched.”

“My bills are coated,” he answered shortly. “Stay here.” With that he left and jogged across the street towards an old green Ford truck that had seen better days. He snorted when it wasn’t even locked. Good old trusting small town people, he mused and got behind the steering wheel to prepare the vehicle to hot-wire it as soon as Blondie was ready.

When he was satisfied with his work, he climbed back out and returned to the store, going through the rows and picking out a granola bar to eat right there.

His bills were coated. Of course they were. Probably with some kind of superspy secret coating to prevent fingerprints from being left on the bills. She rolled her eyes at that thought and watched him wolf down the bar before shoving the wrapper in his pocket.

Bane grabbed another one and started to eat it immediately. His gaze darted around the room and he went for several things that could be useful at some point. Scissors, wire, band aids.

“Do you need another backpack?”

“Yeah, sure,” he muttered while he looked through the maps laid out near the register.

“Anything else?”

“Did you find any clothes?” he asked, taking a few of the maps and joining her in one of the aisles.

“Yeah, I grabbed some jeans, sweats, a few essentials.”

“Good.” He took the backpack from her. “Let’s go.”

Gosh, he was insufferable. “I’m guessing you didn’t find a rental counter for the vehicle we’re about to leave in.”

Instead of an answer he just snorted, locked the door behind them again and jogged across the street to the truck, making a waving movement with his hand when she hesitated.

“We’re stealing somebody’s car?” she asked in a loud whisper.

“We’re leaving my motorcycle, which is worth more than twice what this pile of junk’s worth.” He climbed behind the steering wheel and turned the engine on, waiting impatiently for her to get in.

“Well, can’t they trace your bike? It has a VIN number, license plates...” she fell silent when he glared at her. “Just sayin’, it’s not like they can sell it.”

He drove onto the street and returned the way they had come to get back on the highway. When he saw the little deserted street leading to a small wooded area he took a turn, driving fast and making the whole vehicle shake violently until they reached the trees. When he was satisfied that there location was hidden and couldn’t be seen from either side, he turned the engine off and faced her. “Before we go any further you’re gonna tell me what you know or I’m gonna leave you right here.”

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you. I don’t know anything!”

“Tell me where you took these pictures.”

“Why? What does it even matter?” She was so frustrated with this entire situation.

Why couldn’t she just answer one damn question? “Maybe it’ll help us figure out why they’re after you. So where and when did you take ‘em?”

“At my aunt’s wedding back in 2005.”

“What’s the location?”

“My grandparents’ home in Cape Cod.”

“Cape Cod,” he muttered, looking at her. “The day of the explosion.”

“Yeah. My cousin and I were running around, waiting for the wedding to get started, and I was taking pictures. I had gone in the house to upload the photos and make room on the memory card when the explosion happened.”

Bane nodded. “Who’s the guy in the picture?”

“He was the nephew of the man my aunt was marrying. His name was Michael Guerin.”

Michael Guerin. Was this his original name? How could it be that he had been assigned to a target who knew his past? A past he couldn’t remember. “How old was he that day? Do you know?”

“Yeah, he was sixteen.”

He swallowed. Could that really be? Had they sent him on a killing mission to take out the only person who had the answers to his past?

Maria studied his features as he stared at her, absorbing every word she said. There was no mistaking the similarities between this man and the boy she’d known so briefly, but he didn’t seem to recall anything that would connect him to Michael. “What’s your name?”

He’d had so many names through the years that he had no clue which one to give her. “Bane,” he finally said after a while, deciding it would be best if she just knew the codename assigned to him by The Circle.

“Bane,” she echoed. “That’s not a real name. What is that? Your secret spy name?”

“I’m not a spy,” he said, starting the engine again.

“And that’s not a real name.”

He sighed, slowly driving out of the small wooded area. “William Turner, Jefferson Hardy, Adam Green, Matthew Poney. Pick one, I have passports for all of ‘em.”

“Well, what’s your real name? Those are all phony ID’s.”

He thought about the pictures she had taken of him. The boy in them looked exactly like him at that age. He even had the same scar. And he was involved in an event that could explain his memory loss. “Michael Guerin, I suppose,” he finally muttered.

“You suppose?” She shifted to lean back against the door so she could look at him directly. “You don’t know, do you?”

Bane drove back onto the highway and set up a regular speed within the posted limits. “No.”

“So you don’t know anything about your childhood? Like you don’t remember?”

“Yes, alright?” he snapped.

“Hmm. Then you could be him. That’s completely plausible.” He tapped her thumb against her bottom lip for a few moments. “What’s your earliest memory?”

“Why did you take so many pics of him? Me,” he asked instead of answering her question.

So they were gonna play that game, were they? Answer a question with a question. Okay, fine. “There were plenty of other pics,” she said with a shrug. “You just happened to be the focus of that particular set.”

Bullshit, he wanted to scream but he swallowed it down. They drove for in silence for a while until he broke it with calmer nerves. “The answer to your earlier question is yes.”

“Which question was that?”

He looked at her briefly. “The one where you asked if I’d come for you if they took you.” She was the person who had just given him back his identity. Therefore she had earned the right to his protection.

“Oh.” She smiled. “I’d appreciate that. How’d you get into this line of work?”

“It’s easy when you don’t have a past.”

“So... you don’t have any family, anyone you’re close to?”

Damn, she had to trash out his patience every damn time. “This conversation is over,” he informed her and slouched down in his seat.

“I don’t know why you have to be so unpleasant.” She crossed her arms over her chest and shifted around to stare out through the front windshield. There was a crack running straight through the middle and it annoyed her for no reason other than it was there. “Obviously part of that is because you’re a loner, but your social skills are in severe need of an upgrade.”

“You know, just because I won’t kill you doesn’t mean I won’t gag you and throw you in the bed of this truck, so shut up, alright?”

“Fine. Next time you have questions about your past, just remember this moment.” She pinched her thumb and forefinger together and ran them across her lips, right to left, and then tossed an imaginary key out the window.

He gripped the steering wheel tightly before he could act on his words. How was he going to get rid of her now?

Maria reached over and turned the knob on the ancient radio, manually turning the dial in search of a station that wasn’t broken up by static. Country... no. Talk radio... no. Classical... She glanced at Michael – she wasn’t going to call him by that stupid spy name – and saw the muscle in his clenched jaw jumping erratically. No classical, although it was tempting just to irritate him. Oldies... well, they were fun to sing along with, but somehow she didn’t think he’d be joining in for that little game, so no. Hard rock... probably more in line with his tastes. She left it there and leaned back against the door again, lifting her feet to rest them on the dashboard and leaning her head against the door as she closed her eyes.
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Re: THE ASSASSIN - AU/CC/Adult - Part 7 - 3/8/15

Post by Roswelllostcause »

So what Max and Liz can't sleep when Maria spends the night? Will Michael get his memory back? Get back here!
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Oh Maria and Michael are getting on my nerves! :lol:

Michael and Maria, they are both irritating and suspicious on everything, even if I can understand the suspicious part! :lol:
And Walkyrie, is she someone from the same family because I can't understand people doing this job, especially women...

Thanks - waiting for more!

EVE :wink: :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Post by Earth2Mama »

So... The plot thickens!

Bane/Michael has told Maria that he's the boy from the picture and will keep her alive. I'm guessing so long as she has a way to connect him to his past. Otherwise, what? She's expendable?

Does he have NO conscious? I need more back story on him after the explosion at the house. How the hell did he become an assassin/contract killer?
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great chapter!!!! I can't believe Maria's uncle is being a major asshole to Max and Liz. Will Maria call Max, Liz? Will Max and Liz find Maria? What are Max and Liz going to do now?

L-J-L 76
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

mystery continues......can't wait for more,
Carolyn
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

And the word fell:
“Michael Guerin, I suppose”

Michael is indeed the man he says, a man without identity with nothing to loose/win in his life. He kills people on a daily basis but not because it's fun. It's just his work, like anything else could've been his work. He just never knew differently.

It makes me wonder how they recruited him. Did they pick him off the streets or were they there, on the scene, when the explosion happened? And Michael is just thinking the exact same thing.
He swallowed. Could that really be? Had they sent him on a killing mission to take out the only person who had the answers to his past?
The world is - like they say - small, but you know, not thàt small. And he knows it!
Take a look at Eva's world
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

Aww I feel so bad for Max an Liz. Its not like they have 100% control over Maria anyway....sad. I hope they don't get screwed in this too much. And Michael and Maria finally learning what the other knows. Good. May just help keep them both alive....maybe. HA! Great update!!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

I felt sorry for Max and Liz too........but things were out of their control.
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 8

Post by Double Trouble »

Roswelllostcause: Lol, apparently not. Good question... stay tuned.

begonia9508: Suspicion will play a big part in keeping them alive.

We can’t answer how women in general can do such a job, but perhaps we will get to an answer as to how Valkyrie got into this line of work.

Earth2Mama: At this point she is expendable. He doesn’t know how to care about another person, especially someone like Maria.

We’ll learn more about his past in time.

L-J-L 76: Thanks! Senator Halverson needs someone to blame and unfortunately he’s picked Max and Liz. We’ll check back in with them soon.

keepsmiling7: There’s more mystery to come. Yeah, there wasn’t much they could do.

Eva: Yes, you’ve pegged him exactly!

How he was recruited will be explained in time.

The world is most definitely not that small and he doesn’t believe in coincidence.

sarammlover: Nope, they sure don’t. Their role isn’t over, so we’ll be hearing from them again. Knowledge is power, right? Lol, there’s more to come! Thanks!

Part 8

Oceanside Terrace Apartments – Georgetown – December 2015

Alex turned his back to the wind howling through the breezeway that bisected the building that housed his apartment. “Damn, it’s freezing out here today!” He looked down at his four-legged companion and shook his head at the happy bark and wagging tail that greeted him. He unlocked the door and pushed it open. “C’mon, Aramis, let’s get outta the cold.”

The Beagle ran through the door as soon as he was unleashed, heading straight for the living room and plopping himself down next to the dormant fireplace. He waited patiently for his owner to stomp the snow from his boots before coming inside, his intelligent brown eyes locked on the open doorway. His head shot up when he heard footsteps approaching and he pushed himself up into a sitting position when someone he didn’t recognize spoke.

“Mr. Whitman?”

Alex turned, his mouth going dry at the sight of the beautiful woman standing there. “Uh-huh.”

She bit back a smile at his response. “Alex Whitman?”

“Yeah, can I help you?” Say yes!

“I’m Detective Reynolds and I’m looking into a security breach at the precinct.” She studied him, watching for his reaction.

He frowned. The woman sure as hell didn’t look like a cop. “I’m not sure how I can help you with this.”

“Your name came up during the investigation. We’re looking into the disappearance of certain files. Case number D-005421. Does that sound familiar?”

“Not at all,” he said slowly. Okay, she definitely wasn’t a cop. The police around here were way too busy to bother checking those old cases.

“You’re sure about that, Mr. Whitman?” She raised an eyebrow in question. “The case file in question is related to a prominent local politician.”

“I’m not much into politicians and what they do. You must be wrong.”

She pulled out a folder and opened it, revealing a black and white surveillance photo that clearly showed him accepting a file from a young officer. “Care to rethink your answer?”

Damn it. It was just his luck that a hot woman showed up at his door just to turn out to be the enemy. “Who did you said you are? Can I see your badge?”

“Of course.” She reached into her coat and pulled out a leather wallet, opening it to reveal an authentic shield and identification.

“And you probably wouldn’t mind if I called your office just to be sure.”

“No, of course not. The department number’s on my card.”

“Okay good,” he stepped into his apartment.

She waited to see if he’d invite her inside. He could call the number but it would only route him to a prearranged contact who would verify her credentials.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Alex closed the door in the woman’s face and breathed deeply. “What the hell?”

He went to the cordless phone in the living room, scratching his dog’s ears while he dialed the number for the police department – a different number than the one on her card because he knew it wasn’t the correct one.

He never had time to complete the number sequence when something cold and hard pressed into the back of his neck. “If I were you I’d hang up right now.” She reached around him to take the phone when he did as she suggested and she hit the redial button, nodding to herself when she saw the number on the small screen – not the number she’d provided. “You’re too smart for your own good, Mr. Whitman.”

He lifted his hands slowly and turned his head. “So who sent you?”

She pressed the barrel of the gun harder against the back of his neck. “I’ll ask the questions. Why did you pull that file? What are you looking for?”

“Why don’t you tell me what you already know and I’ll tell you if you’re right?” He had sworn to Maria he wouldn’t tell anyone about it and he was trying hard to keep his promise.

“How about I just blow your right ear off?”

Alex winced while his dog started to growl. “I got it for a friend.”

“Why? What’s her interest in a gas explosion?” The target was looking for answers to a question that appeared to be cut and dried. She had connected the dots but she wanted to see if he would lie about it.

“It was her family, okay? Who wouldn’t want to know what happened to them?”

“What was in the report?”

“Everything in the official police report; photos, their conclusions about what happened, death certificates…”

“What makes her think it wasn’t an accident?” She glared at the dog when it continued to bark. “Shut the dog up or I’ll shut him up for good.”

“Can I move?”

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Why?”

“Aramis won’t quiet down if you don’t let me touch him,” he explained.

She took a step back but kept her weapon trained on him. “Just shut him up.”

Alex moved onto the couch next to his dog and cradled him in his lap. “It’s all good, buddy,” he said, trying to calm his own nerves as well.

“Why does she think it wasn’t an accident?” she repeated.

Alex sighed. “Just a feeling I’d say. She can’t accept that her whole family was eliminated because of one unlikely accident.”

“There’s a young man in some of the pictures she’s apparently been studying...” She pulled the picture out and held it in front of him. ”Who is he?”

“I don’t know. Someone who was at the wedding. She was a kid when she took those pictures.”

She shook her head. There had to be more to it than that. “What’s his name?”

“I can’t remember. Michael something. We didn’t talk a lot about it. I just got the file for her.”

“I think you know more than you’re telling me.”

“I know she was suspicious about something but she didn’t tell me what it was. She didn’t want me to be involved.” His thoughts wandered to the other day when Maria had canceled their meeting at the last minute without a reason, but he kept it to himself since he had no clue if this woman was after Maria or not.

She abandoned that subject for the moment. “You’re a hacker.”

“That’s such an ugly word.”

“And what exactly would you call what you do?”

“Research?” he offered.

“To obtain restricted information?” she asked with an arched eyebrow.

“Not restricted to everyone.” This woman was not here in any kind of legal capacity. She wasn’t here because she was bothered by his actions. No, it had to be something else.

“Where’s your computer?”

“I have one in my bedroom. But I don’t use it for any of this stuff.”

“Where do you go to do your,” she shook her head, “research?”

“Different places. Internet Café and stuff like that.”

She sighed. “How do you secure the system?”

“There’s no way to explain that easily.” He looked at her. “It’s all about hiding your digital traces. There are ways.”

“Yes, there are. Let’s see your computer.”

He sighed. “Alright.”

She motioned for him to lead the way, careful to keep an eye on the dog.

The laptop sat on the little desk in his bedroom. He grabbed it, eying her skeptically when she looked at his unmade bed in disgust. “I wasn’t expecting any visitors.”

“I can’t imagine there are that many people knocking down your door.” She nodded at the laptop as she slapped the photograph on the desk. “I want to know who he is.”

He sighed. “Alright, but it’ll take a while. I need to go over some external servers to hide my tracks.”

“Fine.” She looked around the room searchingly. “I’m not computer illiterate though, Mr. Whitman, so don’t try to pull anything.”

Alex went back into the living room and set the laptop down on the coffee table while taking a seat on the couch again with his dog in his lap. “Alright,” he muttered to himself and for a good fifteen minutes he pounded the keyboard like crazy.

Valkyrie stood behind the couch, her eyes scanning everything he was doing. He was very good at hacking. She knew several of the country’s top hackers who weren’t as proficient.

A picture of the man in question suddenly illuminated the screen and he leaned back. “His name’s Michael Guerin and according to the file he died in 2005 in the Cape Cod explosion.”

Okay, they said everyone had a twin somewhere in the world, but she didn’t believe in coincidence. This situation couldn’t be explained away so easily. “What was his connection to the family?”

“He was the nephew of the man my friend’s aunt was going to marry that day.”

“Pull up a list of people attending the wedding.”

He hit a few buttons and the names scrolled down the screen.

She leaned over his shoulder and scanned the list of names. She pointed one of the names out. “That one.”

“Daniel Deluca?”

“Yes, pull his file up,” she ordered impatiently.

“He worked for the FBI,” Alex said while he looked around for the man’s information and then showed it to her.

“I know who he worked for.” The only information available was crap she could get anywhere. The man’s file had been scrubbed. “Alright, we need more than this, keep digging.”

“No,” he shut the laptop and glared at her. “I gave you something and now you have to give me something. Who are you? And why’re you interested in this?”

“I’m sorry, which one of us has a gun aimed at his head again?”

“I’m not continuing if you don’t tell me the reason,” he gritted through his teeth.

Her eyes narrowed. He had balls, she’d give him that much. Of course, that didn’t count for much once you stopped breathing. And in her line of work it wasn’t often that anyone stood up to her. “People on that side of the gun don’t generally barter for information.” Their lives maybe, but as a rule, not information.

“Well, I’m not the general type.” His nerves were shaking but he tried his best to not show it.

She was amused by him but she covered it. “You want your friend to live you’d better get me the answers I need.”

He narrowed his eyes. “What’s Maria done to upset someone like you? She’s just looking for answers about her family tragedy and your sudden appearance tells me she was right all along and it wasn’t an accident.”

“I’m just a hired gun. Whoever she’s upset goes a lot higher than me and I’d say it’s safe to assume her death is at the top of their agenda.”

He frowned. “And your interest in Michael Guerin...? He was declared dead but at the same time there was no evidence of it.”

“I suspect he’s a key component.”

It still didn’t make sense but he nodded and opened the laptop again to search for more information about Maria’s dad.

“Look for any connections to political groups outside of the Bureau.”

He kept going but every time he came up with a new lead, it ended up going nowhere. “Someone did a major job hiding this man’s life.”

“Search for any commonalities between Senator Halverson and Deluca.”

“Let’s see,” he pulled up some new files and frowned. “Well, obviously they went to some meetings together, but nothing really stands out. Different agendas, political blah, blah, blah.”

“How did the senator survive the explosion?”

“There’s no information. He told the police he went out to get some cigarettes but there were no witnesses to corroborate his statement.”

“Check any incoming calls to the house and the senator’s phone, say an hour prior to the explosion.” There had to be a reason he had survived. She didn’t believe in luck.

Alex went on, slowly developing a headache when he drew another blank. “The last call was from DC, a coworker at the time and it came in almost three hours before the explosion.”

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Let’s get back to the guest list.”

Again the names of everyone attending the wedding appeared on the screen.

None of the names raised a red flag. She went through the list one at a time, having him search certain ones, and growing increasingly frustrated when they came up empty every time. “This doesn’t make any sense,” she bit out after a while.

“Maybe if you told me what you know...”

She was in an unusual position. Never before had she provided information to an outside source. But he was highly intelligent and he had skills she could utilize. “What I know is your friend has been marked for death and time on that contract is up. Michael Guerin somehow survived that explosion along with two people from the family. Three survivors out of nearly sixty? The Deluca girl was inside the house, Guerin had to have moved from his seat to come out of that alive, and then there’s the good senator.” The way she spit out the word ‘good’ left no question as to her feelings about the man or politicians in general. “The people who put the hit out on your friend want both of them dead.”

“Both of them like her and her uncle or her and Michael Guerin?”

“There’s been no chatter about taking the senator out.”

“So do you have any clue where Michael Guerin is? Do you know him?”

“If my suspicions are correct he’s the assassin originally assigned to handle the contract on your friend. And he’s broken protocol and gone to ground with her, but I don’t know why.”

“Good grief,” Alex sank into the couch. “Why would he want to kill Maria? I mean, he kinda knows her and she hasn’t done anything to deserve this.”

“Paid assassins don’t pick the target. We’re assigned a job and we do it, we don’t ask questions.”

“Obviously he does now. Your guess is he broke his contract because of their history, right?”

“He would’ve found the photographs and he would’ve recognized himself. He wants answers and a slip like that comes at the ultimate price.”

“He doesn’t know about his earlier life?”

“There are a select group of assassins employed by...” she caught herself. “It doesn’t matter who pays our fees. There are certain individuals who have limited to no recall of their past.”

“So he discovered somehow that Maria had photos of him and that made him suspicious.”

“Her possession of these photos indicates she has information about his past. That alone makes her valuable to him.”

“And after he’s gathered the information from her?” He was worried. Not because there was an assassin in his apartment, but worried because his friend was with a man who knew nothing but how to kill.

“I don’t know.” She shrugged one shoulder. “24 hours ago I could’ve answered that question without hesitation, but he’s acting completely out of character. It won’t matter though. Like I said, a contract’s already been put out on him as well.”

“And you’re the assassin they sent to replace him,” he put the pieces together.

“Yes.” She stared at him. “But as you can see, I have questions too, and therefore it won’t be long before my actions are discovered and I also become a liability.”

“Where are your friend and Maria now?”

“He’s moving north. I don’t have his specific location right now. I’ll receive his coordinates,” she checked her watch, “within the hour.”

“And what’re you planning to do?”

“I need to get into Halverson’s house.”

“For what?”

“He requested a watch detail be assigned to his niece but he limited their actions. He knows something. I don’t know if he’s somehow involved, but at the very least he’s got knowledge of that explosion. I think to understand what’s going on the truth about that day has to be uncovered.”

“His home is highly secured.”

“I’m aware of that. The senator’s notorious for being paranoid about his security.” She nodded at the computer. “Find me a way inside.”

“You won’t find anything online about his security system. The only way would be to directly hack it.”

She smirked knowingly. “I’m aware of that too.”

“I mean locally.” He lifted an eyebrow.

“Are you saying you’re incapable of hacking his system?”

“It’s not connected to a server. Halverson made sure of it so it couldn’t be accessed from a distance. The only way to get the information and turn it on and off would be to connect a portable device to it to read those programs.”

“Would you need to be inside the house to access it?”

“I’d have to be somewhere near one of the terminals where he activates it.”

She nodded. “How much do you know about his system?”

“I’ve been there a few times. It’s good. He had it produced especially for his house so you won’t find it anywhere else.”

“Can you access a blueprint of his house?”

“Maybe, let’s see,” he mumbled while hammering on the keyboard once more. “Yeah, here’s one from 1995 before he bought it.”

“How accurate are these plans from what you saw while you were there?”

“I think they’re still pretty close. The house is historically protected as far as I can tell, so he wouldn’t be allowed to change anything basic.”

“Show me where you would need to be to access the system.”

“At any of these entrances,” he pointed to three sections on the ground level.

“What do you know about his security personnel?”

“Not a lot. They work in eight-hour shifts, changing at 6am, 2pm and 10pm.”

“We’ll need to observe them, determine what we need to access the house.” She watched him, waiting for his reaction.

Alex nodded slowly, his mind turning over his inclusion in her plan. “Is there a way to save my friend?”

“What happens depends greatly on our ability to gather information.”

“Then I guess we don’t have any time to lose.”

“What do you need to do with the dog?”

“I can ask my neighbor to take Aramis. She’s watched him before.”

“Then do it. And, Mr. Whitman? If your friend has any chance of surviving you’re gonna be a big part of it, so don’t involve your neighbor in this situation.”

“I won’t,” he agreed.

“We don’t have much time.” It wouldn’t be long before she received the notification about Bane’s location and she would have to take another shot at him.
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas