What's Your Favorite Type of Fic to read?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Serenah
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Serenah »

1. Do you like AU or Regular fics?

I prefer Canon, but sometimes I like to read AU- I just tend to avoid those "without aliens" for the same reason everybody else already mentioned. For me Roswell was always a metaphore of young people alienation and loneliness though so I find some of those stories ( like for example "Broken Wings" by Max&LizBeliever) very interesting despite the lack of "alien stuff".

2. Are you into CC or UC? Tell me your favorite couple.

Definitly CC and my favourite couple is Max&Liz. But there are some UC fics like "The Solstice Series" which I really enjoyed..I guess my real problem with that genre is a lot of authors tend to bash some characters just to justify certain UC couple being together :? And this is something I can't stand.

3. Do you like crossovers and slash fics?

I don't read crossovers- I don't watch to much television besides Roswell I've only watched "Angel" and I don't think that those two series have a lot in common :wink: two total diffrent worlds. As for Slash...this is not my thing but I have to admit that some of those fics are amazing..like for example "Boys of the summer" RosDeidre. Just lovly :P

4. If you have a rating preference, what is it?

I don't really pay attention...but sometimes I find those neverending making love scenes a little boring :oops: so I guess...maybe R?

5. What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?

The first stories I read were on Crashdown- they were short and I don't remember titles. The first long, "serious" story I read was "Flagellation" by Majesty on Schurry site. This one was def. M&L centric, very beautiful, intense and dark ( like all Majesty's stuff). It still remains one of my favourites.

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?

Nope I don't write fanfictions.

7. Who's your favourite character and why?

Max Evans and Liz Parker. Even though Max was completly trashed in seson 2 and the first half of 3 he still remains my favourite because I can't forget how wonderful he used to be ( I love his shyness and sensitivity) and how wonderfull he might have been later :sigh:
And Liz...the first episode I saw was "Leaving Normal" and it made my fall in love with Liz immediately. She was smart, she was sensitive, she was strong...not so typical for tv heroines :roll:

8. What's your favorite quote from a fic?

Hm...I don't remember :cry: I have to think about this.

9. What's your favorite fic and why?

"Antarian Sky" by RosDeidre. It is completly diffrent...and that magical, poetic, nostalgic atmosphere is simply irresistible. "Innocent" Mockinbird39- I think I don't need to motivate that one 8) and "Homes Series" EmilyluvsRoswell- because this is everything Roswell should and might have been.

10. How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?

Year and half. Before that I visited Boardello and Schurry site. Now I come here almost everyday.

little off-topic :oops:
but pure slash just seems wrong when only Roswell characters are involved. None of them seem gay to me, especially not Kyle!
Funny thing- I read somewhere an article, that Roswell' fans wanted to see Kyle turning into gay and sent mail with that kind of request to show's creators. Don't know is it true though but I saw similiar comments on Amazon.
And def.- I read an interview with one of the Roswell's produc.- I guess with K.K Brown- and he said that they were going to make Isabel lesbian. They had that idea after "Four Squere" and those Tess and Isabel scenes in the kitchen.
Well... :wink:
Last edited by Serenah on Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shinigami
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Shinigami »

I don't really have a prefernece here. I look at the fic itself,not so much whether its AU.

CC. Max / Liz. UC I'm fine with, too, though.

Crossovers, no. I have read a few threesome fics that blew my mind, but slash isn't my bag.

I like any rating, but IMO, its easier to be more realistic with a PG-13+ rating, not to mention more creative.

5. What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?

Uh. I think I first read "The Night The Dreams Died" on fanfiction.net, but I really can't be sure.

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it?

I read with a passion, being one of those people who can shot through a decent-sized book in a few hours. I also write, and I humbly think i have good talent. My main downfall is my lack of inspiration to write. Seems I don't get the "mood" often enough. Parallel and Healing

Not my best work, I'll admit.

7. Who's your favorite character and why?

Max. I think he's a lot like me. Quiet, lonely, often confused, unafraid to put someone else's safety over his own, and he can have a hell of a temper.

Can't think of one. Sorry. :P

"Full Circle" by Tasyfa. I liked the way she merged the characters together, easily improvising the characters for situation that the show didn't quite put them in; also, the excellent sex scenes, I'll admit, and the flow of the story.

10. How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?

A few weeks. I usaully pop in several times a day. [/url]
Absence of proof is not proof of absence
Ms. Anonymous
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ms. Anonymous »

I prefer AU fics to Canon. I guess bc it's more variety.

2. Are you into CC or UC:
I'm into CC but sometimes I venture into the UC section for any fics with Zan/?

3. Do you like crossovers and slash?
I rarely read crossovers or slash :oops:

I can get into anything that's not PG.

5. What was the first fanfic you read...?
The first fanfic I read was... I can't even remember. It was that long ago but I do remember reading it at the Crashdown :lol:

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it?
A bit of both. Lately, I've been just writing: 'The Many Changes of Love' and it's sequel 'Through the Rain'. I admit I'm not as good of a writer as I wanna be...but if you want to take the chance? I warn you both fanfics are kinda angsty.

I would have to say Liz. Despite everything that she had gone through, she had always managed to think of someone other than herself. She was so self sacrificing... even when it meant jumping off of bridges or giving up the love of her life.

8. What's your favorite quote and why?
I'm sorry. I can't answer that one. I don't remember :roll:

I can't seem to remember that either :lol: Every time I seem to read a fanfic I can really enjoy something happens where as I can't read it anymore.

Ok, let's think back... I think about four years. I found this site on the Crashdown.com in the links :lol: I enter this site every other day...several times a day. It depends on my mood :lol:
Fred
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Fred »

I really prefer aliens in my Roswell fics

I am mostly CC but there are some UC I can understand. I really don't have a favorite (though friends might say M/L because that is what I tend to write) but honestly - I like all CC pretty well but am intrigued by a few UC.

Crossovers are fine if I know the show and if the reason their worlds are intersecting makes sense - not really into slash.

any is fine but if I were to read a NC-17 story I would get bored if it is just sex - I need a story line to keep my interest.

The first fic was only a few months ago - sometime in the spring (guess that's longer then a few months ago now) - it was M/L - at the Crashdown - The Road Not Taken - can't remember who it was by - only 2 or 3 parts - kind of dark - I really liked it because it was a different view.

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?

I write more than I read because I'm easily influenced and I don't want anyone else's ideas entering my stories.
You can follow the links in my signature if you want to read my stories. Any one of them (except Without You) can be read in about 10 minutes.

I don't have a favorite - to me each of the characters are pretty boring by themselves - they need some of all of the others to make them interesting.

don't have one because I have no long term memory - but there have been a few lines that made me laugh or cry - those are the good ones

I don't think I've read enough to make a judgement on this

on this site - probably since Jan of this year - I come by as much as I can but lately that isn't too often - I try to come by at least once every few days
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

I like both, probably read more regular than AU, but since I started writing AUs I tend to frequent that board more often than I used to

CC definitely, and complete dreamer here ;)

Crossovers, yeah, they can be cool, although too many seem to be abandoned half way through. :cry: ; Slash, not particularly...find it very difficult to read with the exception of a few poeple who I've read a lot of their stuff in RPs

Don't really have one

Honestly? :oops: ; I can't remember what it was, but I know I thought it was great and it would have been on Crashdown most likely since that was the place I found first.

Both definitely, that's why my reading gets so behind sometimes, and the other way round too. Two fics that I'm posting, the links are in my sig of course, but plenty of others in the works. Basically I have too many that ae started, and that's why my stuff doesn't get updated as much as I would like... Plus I have some original stuff that I like to work on too...and the whole thing of work and uni (although uni's not so relevant at the moment) :|

Liz I think, but Why...? Now that's a tough one, I guess she's just the sort of character I like, and I think I can get inside her mind better than most of the other character so I guess I relate to her more

Quotes - now you're asking...  Right at this moment in time I can't think of one. I've read so many great ones I guess...

Baby I'm amazed by you - just so many great bits to it; Also A New Breed.  Both ones which I read very early on on Crashdown but have re-read over and over

This site um...pretty much since I joined. I was a forced lurker at first, my comp wouldn't keep me signed in for love nor money so I just couldn't post grrrr. As for how often I come, at the moment, at least once a day, but that's more often for RP and checking bits and pieces than for concentrated reading...don't have the time for that all that often... :(
Last edited by KatnotKath on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
rigel
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by rigel »

I prefer AU, you can have everything in there.

Def. CC but sometime read UC too. My fav. CC couple is Max/Liz and Max/Maria for UC.

Never read crossover, tend to confuse about non-Roswell characters. Read slash if it have a good story line.

PG-13 to NC-17.

Can't really sure but maybe 'Beautiful', it's Maria/Brody pairing. Crashdown? PG? (not sure) but it's a great story.

Just read.

Max. Because he always tried to do the right thing and help people even if he made a lot of mistakes.

Umm.. there's so many I can't remember specifically.

I've read so many wonderful fics but my recent fav is 'These shattered pieces' by RavenSprite. it wrote beautifully and have angst and fluff in the right amount.

I've been reading about 6 months and I come almost everyday.
Lessie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lessie »

Do you like AU or regular fics?
I love AU, both to read and write, but canon fics are great too.

Are you into CC or UC? Tell me your favorite couple.
I'm a Dreamer all the way. Max and Liz are my number one. I also like Maria and Michael and Alex and Isabel. Also don't mind to read some K/T, Zan/Liz, I/K. I'm not into the whole UC couple scene though.

Do you like crossover and slash fics?
I love Crossovers when they're written well and I like the other show. Don't like slash at all.

If you have a rating preference what is it?
I love anything with a good s/l. Ratings don't matter.

What was the first fanfic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating and what did you think of it?
Honestly, I don't remember. Although I know it was Dreamer and at the Crashdown. It was NC-17 I think.

Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?
I do write fics. I'm currently co-writing one with Emma titled Last Night on Earth. I'm also writing my own called To Weave for the Sun. Both are AU and I'd love for you to check them out. I'm also thinking of starting a new project, but still need to think it out more.

Who's your favorite character and why?
That would have to be a tie between Max and Liz. Max was the sweetest boy, sincere and shy, something that I love to see in men. And so many other things. Plus above all he loved a girl so much to risk everything for her. Liz because she was strong, loyal, self-less and I can relate to her in many ways. She fell in love with an alien king and despite everything she loved him more than anything else.

What's your favorite quote from a fic?
I have many, but one stands out and that is But love had returned her memories to her, love had returned her life to her in When the Past Comes Crashing Home by Emma.

What's your favorite fic and why?
I can't pick. There's so many that are absolutely amazing. I love them all.

How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?
I've only been here since October, but I love it here. I try and come every chance I get.
Last edited by Lessie on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
People accuse me of being arrogant all the time. I'm not arrogant, I'm focused. I don't make demands. I don't tell you how it should be. I'll give you f***ing options, and it's up to you to select or throw 'em away. That should be the headline: If you're insecure, don't f***ing call.
-Russell Crowe
StarGazing101
Addicted Roswellian

Post by StarGazing101 »

Regular, preferably.

Mainly CC, but I do venture into UC once in a while. Fav. Couple? Alex and Isabel without a doubt. They were most realistic to me.

I like crossovers as long as I know the show or as long as the author gives a detailed background on it beforehand and yes, I do read slash sometimes.

I'll read all ratings, but my rating preference is R. I don't know why. It just is.

I cannot remember for the life of me what the first fanfiction I read was, but I do remember that it was on Crashdown and that it was a Michael/Isabel.

I read and write. Access to my stories is in my signature.

I can't decide on just one, but my favorite characters are Isabel, Alex, and Kyle. Alex because he was realistic and was so down to Earth. I just love Alex. Isabel because she's a bit like me with being closed-off and I just completely understood her character. Kyle because he's quirky and funny: he wasn't the stereotypical jock portrayed in most shows in a high school setting.

Another character I came to love was Tess. She was such a shades of grey character! Too bad the writers didn't take a different angle with her.

Can't think of one.

Don't have one... yet.

I've been reading fanfic since summer 2000 and lurked for about a year and a half on many different boards. I joined this board in December 2001. I come here often, but not to read usually; not like I use to.
Last edited by StarGazing101 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
polar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar »

Mainly Regular,but will read AU if it has aliens.

UC all the way.Major Polarist here.CC tends to bore me(no offense of course to people who do like it.Afterall I was a dreamer only a few months ago)

Do you like crossovers and slash fics?

Not into crossovers and don't really read any slash,though I do like reading some Michael/Liz/Isabel fics if I can find any.

If you have a rating preference, what is it?

Well I'll go for any,but I tend to like epics with NC-17 ratings :)

What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?

Hmm way back way in '99 I read my first Roswell fic(well around my first,it's the only one I still remember)it was a Candy fic,unsure of rating though I'm thinking NC-17 and at the time I liked it,but since I no longer care for M/M I'm sure I would feel differently.

I'm just a reader.I tend to over-analyze my stories and I would never be brave enough post them.

Female character most definitly has to be Liz.She seems to be the most down to earth character and I can relate better to her then any other female on the show,even though I didn't always liked what she did.

As for the guys,well,It's a tie between Michael and Kyle.

Honestly can't think of a qoute right now.

Oh boy,just one?Ok,Fumbling Towards Ecstasy Series by Dimensia

It's Cannon(other then the UC couple) and I love how she incorporates Michael and Liz's growing feelings toward one another into the happenings of the show.She also does a brilliant job with Michael's character.

Hmm,I would say since July,only joined not that long ago.Well I generally check this site about every few days.
ana julia
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: What's Your Favorite Type of Fic to read?

Post by ana julia »

It's the same but AU fics have to be AWSOME to create that magic that makes a fic unforgettable (Regarding Max is the first one that comes to my mind, A walk in the park, Aficionado and the best of all Rope the wind)
Are you into CC or UC? Tell me your favorite couple.
I loved Finding Ulysses but I'm 100% dreamer and really, despite the fact I can stand L/Mi it'll never be the same.
I can tolerate them only if Max is dead but I couldn't stand it when Liz was dead.
Anyway I don't like UC but if I have to read it I only read L/Mi.
Do you like crossovers and slash fics?
Not at all. The only crossover I liked was Rope the Wind
If you have a rating preference, what is it?
NC-17, but if it's a good story I will always prefer suggestion to the whole narration.
What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?
Wherever you'll go (Mc Gees), To have and to hold (Pathos) and Solar Eclipse
Because many dreamers recommended it and I wanted future fics.
I lost trail with them because they aren't to actualised, but I've gone crazy with THATH (it's still one of the best I've read, very realistic), I've died of tender with WYWG (with Max and Hope) and I've suffered so much with Liz in SE that I can't recover :lol:
Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?
I've never written but I'm starting to think about it. I've only given the idea of The way love goes but then Dee created a whole amazing universe of her own.
I really miss her so I'll try to write to make the hole smaller; but first I'm not good and then I don't speak eanglish so it'll be awfully difficult to make the narration bearable.
But if I do it it's definitely be angsty, dreamer and future. And with infidelity (I love it, maybe because I've never cheated or been cheated)
Who's your favorite character and why?
Liz and Max. It depends on the fic. I identify with Liz but Max is THE MAN, so...
What's your favorite quote from a fic?
They say something like this:
"A love like that should have been given another opportunity" Liz visiting Max in jail with Sophie in Innocent

I don't remember too well but it's the phrase Max tell Liz while they are about to make love again in The way love goes , regarding the fact she was the last woman he mde love with.
What's your favorite fic and why?
Innocent. It has definitely everything. And the charm that evokes it makes me dream. Furthermore the characters are featured in an excellent way. Very profound.
Growing throught it again. It's soooo rich. The analysis of the situations is absolutely perfect.
Rope the wind. The most romantic thing I've read.
How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?
Since I've discovered it (August 2003).
I come every day, twice a day.

I hope your curiosity has been well satisfied :lol: It's been a pleasure to read the other answers and to express what I like.
It kind of make you feel important :D and not taken for granted. :oops:

Anita
Last edited by ana julia on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.