Movie discussions

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Lady_vixen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lady_vixen »

I went and saw an IMAX movie today. Deep Sea 3D. First of all, you have to be in to that sort of thing if not you will be bored. It was real cool to see all these sea creatures up close and in ways that most of us will never see. The 3D thing kind of gave us a headache/dizzy feeling but all and all it was worth it. They also have Alien Adventure coming up at the end of this month. Looks way cool by the preview.
WomanofMystery
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by WomanofMystery »

Superman Returns is coming on here in Britain here and the trailer for it seems to be on all the time. No matter what programme you're watching the trailer will show up at least once during the ad breaks.
At first I thought 'that film looks cool' then it started to annoy me and now I want to scream every time I see the trailer. It's just annoyed me so much that I don't want to see the film anymore. Has that happened to anyone else?
WASH: I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

Ok. I have not voiced my opinion on movies in a while, namely because I have not felt too strongly about any recently. And if I have then it has slipped my mind, but I digress, anyway, I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean on opening night.

Honestly, I didn’t like it as much as the fist one. To say that there weren’t funny moments in the movie would be a lie. There were some funny scenes but I guess because unlike the first one, I was prepared for the character of Jack and rather then finding him being outlandishly funny I found him somewhat played out and cowardly. And…I don’t think he had enough lines. (shrugs)

Anyway, Will, I liked. He had some cohunes, but he was a good character. But my like for Will made me not like Elizabeth because in this one she seems to have ambiguous developing feelings for Jack. My question is:

Why? Why would you like a man, a pirate who is completely shellfish and for himself? Pardon my redundancy. Then there is Will who is an all around good guy and did A LOT of daring things for the sake of her. I just didn’t like the way it was done.

~Chad~
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

RosDude My wife and I are boycotting the movie because we heard about the Elizabeth and Jack BS from friends. It's Hollyweird writing at its worst. What's next? Soap opera buccaneers? "Pirates of the Caribbean: As the Black Pearl Turns"?

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
FSU/MSW-94
Forum Moderator

Post by FSU/MSW-94 »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:RosDude My wife and I are boycotting the movie because we heard about the Elizabeth and Jack BS from friends. It's Hollyweird writing at its worst. What's next? Soap opera buccaneers? "Pirates of the Caribbean: As the Black Pearl Turns"?

Rick
I haven't seen the movie yet, but this just had me LMAO :lol:

Also, I did finally see Superman Returns and I found it to be very good. It was kind of long, but I liked the new actor, Brandon Routh I think is his name as superman. I loved how his eyes seemed to convey so many emotions. I felt he did a really great job with his non-verbal emotional scenes. Kevin Spacey as Lex was hilarious at times. Anyway, I felt it was worth checking out. :D
La'Shon

Round 9 & Round 11
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

I saw The Devil wears Prada and loved it! Meryl Streep was great in it and i actually didn't dislike Anne Hathaway. Overall a funny movie, i'd see it again.
My Fics
Hardhat: Don't eat the tuna salad in the cafeteria. It made me throw up.
Suit: Food poisoning takes a while. How long did it take to make you sick?
Hardhat: About 5 seconds. All I can figure is, someone must've put fish in it - I'm allergic to fish.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

I just saw Click with Adam Sandler, I loved it, it wasnt what I expected at all, especially from Adam but overall I would see it again. :)
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

This is for you clever diehard romantics out there. Missus KK and I just got back from our second trip to see "The Illusionist" this weekend. By all means, get your butts off the couch and go to see it. You won't be disappointed.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

I myself have not been to see The Illusionist, but I’ve only heard good things and it’s on my movie to see list. I did however have the displeasure of seeing The Covenant last week.

What a waist of a movie ticket. The plot was wholly and a bit repetitive, and if you’ve never read The Crucible, or knew nothing about the Salem Witch trials you would have a hard time quite understanding this movie.

I’m actually pretty sure the movie would not have been that bad if its mediocre plot weren’t chalked full of horrendously beautiful guys that couldn’t act their way out of a paper bag, along with a lead actress that was so damsel in distress, by the end of the movie you were rooting for her to get it.

The graphics didn’t help. There were several scenes in the movie where it would be raining in the scene, but not on the characters. Or it would be raining, pan camera, not raining. There was one particular scene where the main girl and guy were driving through desolate woods, (which she described as being beautiful.) I believe she actually had the line: “Oh it’s so beautiful, I wish I had my camera” (and I wish I had my money back.) As they were driving, with the top down no less, it started to rain over the shot of the woods, and once we were back to them, no rain. Kind of a silly thing to complain about but it just happened so many damn times in the movie it’s hard not to. Then at the end, they tried to get all Matrix, Neo versus Agent Smith, and it completely paled in comparison.

After sitting for my hour and forty-five minutes I was then informed by one of my friends that this was based on a book series, which explained the less then wrapped up ending, and I told myself that I would read this book just to see if it was as crappy as this movie, All in all I give this movie a D. D for “Damn, I should have went to see something else.”

~Chad~
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

I've watched it so many times in the theaters, and since it came out on DVD last month, but Brick with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Emilie DeRavin has to be my favorite movie of the year. Love it!

Evelynn