Accept the Challenge (AU, CC, TEEN) COMPLETE [2/11]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Accept the Challenge (AU, CC, TEEN) COMPLETE [2/11]

Post by Evelynn »

-------------------------------------------------

<center>Image
Banner by Destinee</center>

Title: Accept The Challenge
Author: Evelynn
Disclaimer: I own only what my mind conjures up and intend no infringement.
Category: AU without Aliens, CC (M/L centered)
Rating: TEEN - mild language and sexual reference
Summary: Set in Once Upon a Time Land. General set-up found in prologue.
Banner Artist: Destinee

Prologue:

Philip Evans is a well-respected, wealthy merchant who owns two large shops, one in the Kingdom City, and one in a small town near Mount Roswell. Philip and his wife, Diane, have two children, eighteen year old Maxwell and seventeen year old Alexander. Both boys are very close, as well as Maxwell’s close companion, Michael Guerin. Michael is Maxwell’s age, and was left orphaned at the age of fourteen. Philip Evans then took it upon himself care for the boy. Michael is taken in and cared for as though he is another member of the family. The three boys hang closely together and they compliment each other well.

Michael is predominantly brawn. He was not as fortunate as Maxwell and Alexander as a child and did not get the privilege of a good education. He is very impatient and relies too heavily on gut instincts. He is quick-tempered but extremely loyal and trustworthy.

Maxwell takes after his mother, a very charming person. He has a huge ego and is continuously in search of a good challenge. It is questionable who is stronger physically, Maxwell or Michael, but neither will challenge the other to prove their strength. Maxwell is highly intelligent, but what stands out the most about him are his strikingly good looks. He is the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome. Girls will give a limb to catch his attention, though he tends to be oblivious to the fact.

Although Maxwell is bright, he is not as academic as Alexander. Alexander takes after his father. He is a very studious and educated young man. Alexander is fundamentally a genius. Although it was apparent in Alexander’s physique that he possesses more mental strength then he does physical, no one will dare harass him without facing the wrath of Maxwell and Michael.

Last edited by Evelynn on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 am, edited 29 times in total.
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter One:

The Kingdom City is an enormous capital of overcrowded streets filled with places to shop, eat, and sleep. There are inns, restaurants, taverns, and markets for everything one could ever need. The city is a vast place where each person is in a rush to complete one task or another in order to hurry home. It is filled with all sorts of news and excitement. At the center of all the excitement would be Maxwell Philip Evans. And the present thrill of the day was just outside the city, where townspeople gather to catch a glimpse of what mess Maxwell will find himself in today.

And were the people in for a sight. The city’s favorite young man is in his usual predicament. The Governor’s nephew, Sean Deluca, has always been attempting to outdo Maxwell in anything and everything. The two have been competing with one another since childhood. Sean has challenged Maxwell to everything, from eating contests to who could hold their breath the longest. Today is just another challenge that Maxwell cannot decline.

“It seems as though Evans is a ghost. Why not pay up now, Guerin? Your chum is obviously too chicken to even bother to show his face,” one of Sean’s goons sneers out at Michael from where they wait, just outside the city. Sean stands with an arrogant smirk on his face, his group of brainless cronies behind him.

“He’ll be here,” Michael says calmly, leaning against a tree a few feet away as he patiently waits for his friend. It was the usual routine. Sean and his gang would arrive. Michael would meet them shortly afterwards, followed by a small audience, mainly young women who would sit, watch, cheer, and try, although unsuccessful, to catch the attention of Michael, Alexander, or especially Maxwell.

“I wouldn’t blame him. No one, and I repeat, no one, meddles with the Governor’s nephew,” another goon drones out, which elicits another smirk from Sean.

“I said, he’ll be here. Maxwell never turns down a challenge,” Michael says, followed by a long sigh. Maxwell has always been fashionably late, but this was just becoming ridiculous.

“Well, he is going to wish he had stayed home after I humiliate him today,” Sean remarks conceitedly. Apparently, becoming more confident with Maxwell’s growing tardiness.

“I beg to differ,” calls Maxwell Evans from out of nowhere. He comes galloping in on Dreamer, his gallant white stallion, followed by Alexander a short distance behind. The crowd watches in awe, as always, as Maxwell rides in, slowing his pace until he comes to a stop next to Michael. The sun somehow seems to shine brighter in each exact spot Maxwell stands, making his intense amber eyes brighter, his sparkling teeth whiter, and giving his wind tossed hair a glossier gleam. He was a vision that made the men envious and the women swoon.

“Maxwell. What kept you?” Michael asks while Maxwell dismounts from his horse. Alexander, being the helpful younger brother, goes about tying the horses before joining Michael and Maxwell.

“You know me. I have to make an entrance,” he answers with a playful smirk. The women began their attempts, waving to them, blowing them kisses, and flaunting their bodies, all the while going unnoticed by each of the three.

“That’s pleasant, but let us begin, shall we?” Sean calls out as he approaches with his goons following. They stare each other down. Maxwell, with Michael to his right and Alexander to his left. And Sean, with goon number one and goon number two on either side of him.

“What’s the hurry?” Maxwell calls out with a smirk on his face, casually leaning back against the tree. “Anxious to be beaten?”

“Cocky, aren’t we? What do you say we raise that wager then?”

Maxwell shrugs. “It’s your money.”

“Fine. Let’s double it to two hundred gold pieces.” Pulling out a money pouch, Sean waves it in front of Maxwell’s face.

Maxwell straightens up. “You have got yourself a bet. Michael will hold the prize. Name your terms.”

“My horse versus yours. First one to reach Mystical Pond wins.”

Maxwell is about to accept when Michael mutters to him, “Mystical Pond? That’s over half a day’s journey.”

Sean snickers, “What? Maxie-boy, scared?”

Maxwell raises an eyebrow and is about to speak out again when Alexander warns, “I don’t know if Dreamer is up to it, Maxwell. She hasn’t been up to her usual speed lately. And two hundred gold pieces is a quite a hefty sum.”

Sean, happening to hear Alexander’s comment, smirks, looks Maxwell straight in the eye and says the words he knew Maxwell couldn’t resist, “I thought Evans men never backed down from a challenge.”

“You’re on,” Maxwell says with a look that promised he was not to be trifled with. He mounts his horse. “Alexander, run home and inform mother I will be arriving late to dinner tonight. I have a race to win.” With that, they were off.

After the two horses and their riders are out of sight and the exciting duel underway, the townspeople flow back into the Kingdom City. Michael and Alexander head back home. Diane Evans will be thrilled to know that her son was off having yet another adventure while Philip Evans would shake his head, sigh, and wonder how much he would have to pay for any damages Maxwell causes this time.

Philip lets out a frustrating sigh as he sits down in a chair. “How is that boy ever to manage the shops after I am gone if he is never here to learn how?”

Diane walks over to her husband and tries to soothe his worries. “Philip, let him be young and free while he still can. Before you realize, he will be a grown man. He will marry and settle down soon enough.”

“I have been meaning to have a discussion with him on the subject. The two of you as well,” Philip says, looking at Michael and Alexander. “You are all growing up and it is about time you began to think about marriage. There are plenty of beautiful, healthy, young women in this very city for you to choose from.”

“Father, can we not discuss this when Maxwell returns?” Alexander pleads, trying to postpone the inevitable for as long as possible. Michael simply slumps down in his chair. He knew once Philip started, it is best to just let him finish talking than to try and interrupt.

“I know you boys want to be free and have fun, but there comes a time in every man’s life when they must settle down. Now, your mother and I want you to be able to choose whom you are to spend the rest of your lives with. But if it comes down to it, I will not hesitate to make the decision for you. So I suggest that both of you boys take me seriously on this. I mean it.”

“Yes, sir,” they say together.

Philip nods approvingly at both. “Good. Now go and remind Maxwell that he is having dinner with the Governor this evening. The Governor wants to introduce his eldest daughter to your brother. I hear she is a lovely young lady. The most beautiful in the entire Kingdom City, in fact. That should get Maxwell to at least arrive on time.”

“Umm … father?” Alexander speaks hesitantly, fearing his father’s reaction. “M-Maxwell … he … he won’t be meeting with the Governor … He is riding out to Mystical Pond.”

“What?!” Philip erupts. “What do you mean?! He has known of this dinner arrangement for a week now! How could he be so irresponsible?!”

“Philip, calm down. You know what the doctor said about your heart condition,” Diane says, trying to console her husband.

After taking several deep breaths, Philip looks toward Michael. “Michael, you will be taking Maxwell’s place and joining the Governor for dinner this evening.”

Michael’s mouth opens in protest, but the look in Philip’s eyes left no room for discussion. Michael would just have to do his best to be somewhat conversational. He was not what you would call, a man of the people. That was Maxwell’s area of expertise.

Alexander snickers at Michael’s predicament. It didn’t go unnoticed by Diane. “Alexander, why don’t you join Michael? Didn’t you used to tutor the governor’s younger daughter years back? I know the governor would love for you to join him. I’ll send someone to inform him right away.”

“But … mother …” Alexander’s appeal is ignored and Diane leaves the room with a grin on her lips.

Both Philip and Michael chuckle. Both remembering, years ago, how Alexander would come home from the Governor’s house complaining about a skinny yellow haired girl, repeating over and over that he hated her with the vengeance of a thousand suns and if he never saw her again in his entire life, it would still be too soon.

--------------

Maxwell rides on faster and faster. He is far ahead of Sean. It was laughable to think that Sean was any competition for Maxwell when it came to riding. Maxwell is the best rider in the kingdom, or so he liked to boast. He had a few more miles to go. He would have already reached Mystical Pond, but Dreamer was tiring. He could feel her muscles tighten, her pace slowing, and her breathing become more labored. Dreamer will not last the final stretch. Maxwell’s competitive side begs him to easily push the horse to its limit and reach the pond before Sean, but his compassionate side won’t allow him to do so. Sighing, Maxwell slows to a stop, dismounts Dreamer, and walks her over to the nearby stream. He hopes that maybe, after a short rest, Dreamer will be able to complete the journey, but even that thought is highly unlikely.

Maxwell lets the horse drink and sits himself down on the ground. He sighs and puts his head in his hands. What is he to do? He still had ample time to reach Mystical Pond. All he needs is a horse.

And as if his prayers had been answered, he hears a low neighing sound. He looks up and sees a beautiful chestnut colored mare a short distance away. He jumps up and runs toward the creature. Perhaps he could convince its owner to allow him to borrow her for a brief moment. Maxwell is an expert at handling people. With his good looks and his boyish charm, he could have anyone eating out of his hand.

As he reaches the horse, he scans the area for a possible owner but there didn’t seem to be anyone around. He prepares himself to simply take the mare and return it later with a hefty reward to compensate for his borrowing, but as he is about to mount the horse, he notices clothes draped over the saddle. Maxwell looks the clothing over. They obviously belong to a lady, a petite one at that.

A realization comes to him. If her clothes are here, where is she and what is she wearing? Only then did he become aware of a humming a few feet away. He can tell her voice is beautiful, though she had yet to speak a word. He unconsciously drifts towards her voice like a siren’s call. As Maxwell nears the stream, he sees her. She enchants him. He cannot take his eyes off of her. There she is, bathing herself while she hums and twirls in the water. She lets out a soft giggle and Maxwell feels his heart flutter.

How can she be so beautiful? The tall grass and the water shields most of her body from him, but he can still see the smooth skin of her shoulders and neck. She has long dark brown hair that cascades down her back, deep brown eyes, and soft pink lips. She carries a naïve carefree childlike quality as she spins around in the water, giggling.

Maxwell feels his heart quiver at the vision before him and lets out a soft sigh. He hears his raven haired beauty gasp and turn around abruptly to face him. Their eyes lock and he felt as though she were looking straight into his soul. His heartbeat quickens as he feels a rush of emotions run through him. Her breath catches in her throat and Maxwell wonders that perhaps she was feeling the exact same way. Her lips slowly parts and Maxwell waits for the first sweet words to emerge from them.

“You PERVERT!” she fumes out while ducking deeper into the water, in attempts to shield herself. “How dare you spy a lady while she bathe! Have you no manners?!”

Maxwell, too stunned to even speak, can only stare at her. No woman has ever spoken to him with such condemnation before. Such fire. Such spirit. “I … I was … I,” he stutters out.

“I am well aware of what you were doing and I will tell you what you will be doing. You will turn around, walk over to that tree, and wait while I dress so that I can give you the beating of your life,” she snaps out with unmasked fury.

Maxwell nods and does as he is told while she hurriedly dresses. His mind contemplates ways in which to apologize and explain himself when he sees Sean riding towards him less than a mile away. He quickly turns around, eyes widening at the picture before him. She is only half through dressing herself and she quickly crosses her arms over her chest and glares at him.

“I’m sorry, but I must go,” Maxwell says, jumping onto her horse.

“That is my horse!” she tries to stop him but he gallops away.

“Don’t worry! I’ll bring her back!” Maxwell calls out, glancing back. He gives her a smile that makes most girls weak in the knees. It seems to simply enrage her further as he sees her let out a loud groan of frustration and anger and hurry to finish dressing. He shakes his head and concentrates on getting to Mystical Pond. She is going to one hard challenge for him to win over, but Maxwell is convinced that there is not one person out there who is not susceptible to his charm.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Two:

Governor Valenti lives with his two young daughters, at eighteen and sixteen years of age, on an estate that is one of the largest in the Kingdom City, aside from the palace itself, of course. It was a very prestigious invitation to have dinner with the Governor, and so both Michael and Alexander dress in their best outfits and promises Philip and Diane that they will make a good impression.

“Why must I go? Why can you not go by yourself?” Alexander complains as they slowly make their way through the city streets towards the Governor’s estate.

“Because, dear brother, you have a play date with the young Miss Isabella,” Michael says, winking at Alexander.

Alexander groans, “Remind me not. I still have yet to recover from my last visit and that was merely three years ago.”

Michael chuckles, “You over exaggerate. Besides, they say that the Governor’s daughters are the most beautiful in the Kingdom City.”

“Yes, well, who would dare say otherwise? After all, they are the Governor’s daughters. Should anyone utter a cruel remark regarding them, he would have them thrown in jail.” Alexander shrugs, “Besides, they are rarely allowed outside their home. How would anyone know the girls’ outwardly appearances firsthand?”

“How is the Governor’s eldest daughter’s outwardly appearance firsthand?” Michael questions, using Alexander’s own words.

“Well, I would not know. I have yet to meet her. She was always in her room. And I was always with Isabella,” Alexander says, making a face as he mentions her name.

“At least you were not dictated the duty of evaluating a girl as Maxwell’s prospective bride,” Michael says, shaking his head.

“I do not see why you did not tell father you already have interest in someone else.”

Michael stops walking and looks at Alexander. “And who, pray tell, have I interest in?”

“Maria,” Alexander shrugs out casually.

“Maria? Maria? As in, the light haired little pixie who always seems to get into trouble, Maria? The little sprite that I always seem to be saving from thugs and hooligans because she can’t seem to keep her mouth shut, Maria?” Michael practically shouts.

“Yes, that Maria. Also the one you cannot seem to keep from your thoughts. The one you retell to me countless dreams about. And the one who is, and I quote, more beautiful than the goddess of love, who shines more brightly than the sun itself, and whose spirit is as free, caressing and gentle as the wind. Need I go on?” Alexander says with a smirk on his face.

Michael finds himself smiling at Alexander’s words. They did not begin to describe how incredible Maria is. Michael’s eyes become spacey as a grin appears on his face whenever he thinks of her. But the look of longing on Michael’s face soon turns gloomy. “Yes. She’s also the same Maria who always disappears. The one that catches the attention of every man she passes. And also, the one who does not return my affections,” Michael says the last part in a whisper, but Alexander hears all the same. He pats Michael on the back reassuringly and they both start back down the street toward the Governor’s.

“AHHH … Let go of me you fiend!” comes a shriek from an alley not far from where Alexander and Michael are. They both share a look before turning to run towards the cry.

They race down the alley at lightning speed and what they see before them makes Michael’s blood boil. There stands Maria, with her hands pinned to the wall above her, her golden hair tousled, and her green eyes glaring at the man in front of her. That man happens to be Sean’s goon number two. He is twice her size and is looking at her with a smug smirk on his face and an evil gleam in his eyes.

“Let me go!” Maria seethes out through clenched teeth. Michael sees red. He storms over, grabs Maria and wrenches her from the scoundrel’s hold. Maria visibly relaxes upon seeing that it is Michael who comes to her rescue.

The goon is annoyed. Does whomever it is that interrupting with his fun not realize that he is one of Sean’s men? He turns to address his opponent. “I don’t know who you think you are but …” his words fade upon seeing whom he was speaking to. He stands face to face with none other than Michael Guerin. Fear instantly comes over the goon’s face. Michael has a look that shows he is more than simply annoyed. He looks ready to kill.

Michael voice is deep and deadly, “Now, you listen here. If I ever so much as see you looking at her again, I swear I will…” he did not get to finish as the goon ran off. Michael is about to go after him when Maria pulls him back.

In a soothing voice, Maria tries to calm him down, “Michael, do not go. He is not worth the effort.” Maria’s pleading look was one he could not help but give in to.

“What were you doing, Maria?” Michael asks, his voice full of anger yet laced with concern. He still has not released her hand and is rejoicing in the fact that she has not pulled away either.

“I do not want to discuss it, Michael,” she says, giving him a shy smile that makes him forget about the entire incident. Her lips are moving and she says something to him but Michael is not paying attention. He already has that look on his face, the goofy grin and spacey eyes. “Oh space boy,” Maria calls out in a singsong voice, waving a hand in front of his face.

“Huh?” Michael finally snaps out of his reverie, but the grin never leaves him. “I am sorry. I sort of spaced out.”

“I know,” Maria says with a smile. She secretly loves that look. “I said, how about I take you boys out to dinner as a thank you for saving me.”

Michael just now realizes that Alexander was also there. “Well, actually … we … we …” he hates saying no to her, but he could not let Philip down.

Luckily, Alexander comes to the rescue. “Michael would love to, but unfortunately, I have another engagement to attend.” Alexander starts walking off but turns around. “Oh, and Michael, have fun,” Alexander says with a wink, meaning that he will handle the situation with the Governor and with Diane and Philip.

“I suppose it is just you and me,” Maria says, linking her arm through Michael’s. The goofy grin appears on his face once more as they walk together down the street. He glares at every man who tries to look Maria’s way. Maria is his and he will stand up to the challenge of any and every person in order to obtain her. That is, if she will let him.

--------------

Maxwell reached Mystical Pond with enough time to wipe the sweat off his brow, catch his breath, and put a victorious smirk on his face as he watches Sean pant as he rode up.

“What kept you?” Maxwell asks, faking a yawn to stress his smart-aleck remark.

Sean dismounts with a smile on his face. “You sure are damn cocky after having lost.”

“Lost?” Maxwell asks with a smile. “How, pray tell, did I lose if I arrived before you did, Sean. You do realize that the person who takes the least amount of time to get here wins the race, do you not?” Maxwell says the last sentence very slowly, pronouncing each syllable for Sean to understand.

“The terms were your horse versus mine, Evans. I do not recall you starting out with this horse this morning,” Sean says, walking up to the chestnut colored mare. It backs away, apparently not liking Sean any more than the next person.

“You never stated that we had to ride one consistent horse throughout the entire race, Deluca,” Maxwell says, walking up to the horse, stroking its mane, and succeeding in calming the creature down.

“No, but it had to be your horse, Maxwell,” Sean says, standing next to the saddle.

“She is my horse. Are you not?” Maxwell asks the horse. It proceeds to nuzzle him with her nose. No female could resist Maxwell Philip Evans.

“Oh? And I suppose this satchel is yours, as well?” Sean asks, eyeing Maxwell for his reaction.

“Satchel?”

“Yes. It’s tied to the saddle right here,” Sean gives a mocking gasp, “it even has a name on it. Elizabeth, hmm? New lover of yours?”

“Of course,” Maxwell says, playing along. “The fair lady Elizabeth,” he says, with a smile.

“Well then,” Sean says with an evil gleam in his eye, “you would not mind telling me what is in the satchel?”

Good Lord! Maxwell thought. Well, if I were a raven haired beauty with deep eyes, soft, smooth skin and a feisty attitude, what would I be carrying with me? A smile forms on his lips. He knew exactly what she would carry with her. “In that there bag, my dear Sean, are many items.” He counts them off on his fingers. To pay for items she needs … “a small money pouch,” that petite of a person would eat healthy, so she has … “a fruit, and” for the personal touch … “a book.”

Sean rummages through the bag and then throws it down with a large huff. Maxwell inwardly sighs in relief and outwardly shows a smug smile on his face. Two hundred gold pieces might help Maxwell with his situation involving his beautiful Elizabeth.

Sean is just about to shake Maxwell’s hand and admit defeat when they heard another horse galloping up in the distance.

“Hey, you!” the voice is music to Maxwell’s ears, even when it is laced with fury. He looks up and sees his damsel riding down towards them on Dreamer. He cannot stop staring at her as she rides up to them and dismounts from his horse. Only then did he notice that he is not the only one who is watching her intently. Sean openly gawks at her, regarding her as though she were a piece of prized meat. Maxwell’s anger boil. No one will look upon her in such an insolent manner.

“I am Sean Deluca. You must be the fair Elizabeth,” Sean says, noticing her riding up on Maxwell’s horse. He moves to kiss her hand. Maxwell holds his temper. He does not want Sean’s lips anywhere on her. Fortunately enough, Elizabeth pulls her hand away before Sean could even touch her. Good girl, thought Maxwell.

“Yes, that is my name,” Elizabeth says warily. “How did you come to know it?”

“Maxwell here, told me,” Sean says, tilting his head in Maxwell’s direction.

“Maxwell?” Elizabeth glances over at the man who stole her horse. So his name is Maxwell, she thought to herself. Her intentions of haranguing him for running off with her horse are halted by a pleading look in his rich amber eyes. A feeling told her something is happening and her feelings are rarely ever wrong.

Seeing she was not going to give him away just yet, Maxwell takes a risk and hopes she will play along. “Elizabeth, darling,” Maxwell says, holding out his hand for her to accept. Apparently, Sean is also questioning Maxwell’s honesty. He watches intently to see if she will go to Maxwell or not.

The suspense is deafening. There is obvious tension in the air. Elizabeth closed her eyes for a brief second and makes her decision. She takes a deep breath, licks her lips, and prays the gods will forgive her for what she is about to do.

“Maxwell, dearest,” she says with a sweet smile as she accepts his hand. “What is happening?”

“Oh, nothing to worry over, love. Sean, here, just did not believe that this horse belonged to me,” Maxwell says as he places his arm around her. She tenses at first but soon relaxes in his hold.

“Of course, Fate is your horse,” Elizabeth says with a feigned light giggle. “She does not let just anyone ride her now, does she?”

Maxwell smirks at Sean. “Fine. The two hundred gold pieces are yours,” Sean says, still eyeing Elizabeth. It is obvious to Maxwell that Sean took a liking to her. Sean stares as though wishing he were the one holding her in his arm. Maxwell tightens his grip around her waist and glares at his lifelong foe. Sean glares back at Maxwell and storms off, mounts his horse, and gallops away.

Maxwell, enjoying the feel of Elizabeth in his arms, buries his face in the crook of her neck and runs his fingers through her hair. Her hair is silky and soft. Her skin is smooth. His nose is filled with the scent of flowers. He could not get enough of her.

Then, she ruthlessly pushes him away. Startled, he loses his balance and falls to the ground. He stands up, brushing himself off.

“What do you think you are doing? What happened?” Elizabeth asks, backing away from him, her anger returning.

“It was just a bet, love.” Elizabeth stiffens at his words. It did not go unnoticed by Maxwell. “Two hundred gold pieces and its all yours,” Maxwell says, smiling with all his charm.

“T-two hundred gold pieces?” Elizabeth asks, stunned.

Maxwell smiles at this. “Unfortunately, I do not have it with me. So if you will accompany me to my home, and possibly to dinner, I will gladly hand the prize money to you.”

Elizabeth lets out a low chuckle. “I do not want your money.” She starts walking towards Fate.

“Well then, perhaps dinner, just to show my gratitude for helping me today,” Maxwell says, feeling encouraged. His arrogant logic told him that since she was not shouting accusations at him, she must be growing fond of him.

She turns and looks him straight in the eye. “You should be glad I am not reporting you for theft. And as for helping you, I detested the other man slightly more than I do you. Consider yourself fortunate.” With that, she mounts her horse and rides off, leaving Maxwell staring at her retreating figure, her hair blowing in the wind.

He picks up the satchel she left behind. It even smells like her, flowers. She is going to be one hell of a challenge for Maxwell and one that he will never back down from.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Three:

Alexander makes his way down the street. He saw how Michael reacts when he is with Maria, grinning like an idiot. How could he not give Michael a little happiness and let him spend the evening with her? Alexander sighs. Things are just fantastic. Big brother Maxwell is off having the time of his life on yet another adventure. Michael is having all his dreams come true by just being in the presence of Maria. And Alexander? He is off to face the wrath of Isabella Valenti.

Alexander is dreading the inevitable, heading up the Governor’s walkway at a snail’s pace. Isabella is not a terrible person. She simply is not the type he is fond of. He is a book person. Isabel is not. While he was tutoring her, she would merely stare into a mirror and fiddle with perfume and beautifying creams.

Try as he might to have her focus on her studies, she would simply wave him away as though he were an annoying pest. She constantly chattered about hair, clothing, and boys. Alexander couldn’t believe how shallow and inconsiderate she was. And she was only thirteen at the time. Imagine how much worse she must have grown over the years.

Alexander eventually knocks on the door and is shown in by one of the servants. He is led into a study and is told to sit and wait while the Governor finishes up a discussion with his brother concerning his nephew. Alexander has to control himself from snickering too loudly while wondering how gravely Maxwell is defeating Sean Deluca at the moment.

Soon, Governor Valenti steps into the room and apologizes to Alexander for his tardiness. “It has been quite a while since I saw you last, Alexander. Let us have a talk. How are your parents? Is that brother of yours still keeping Philip on his toes?”

“That, he is. In fact, Maxwell is off in yet another competition with Sean right now,” Alexander answers.

“That nephew of mine just cannot accept defeat,” Valenti says, shaking his head disapprovingly. “That will explain why Maxwell could not come? Well, that boy is always in search of adventure,” Valenti says with a far-off look in his eyes, reminiscing upon his own life when he was younger. And of a certain brunette. He shakes his head to clear it. “I thought Michael would be joining us?”

“No, he ... he didn’t feel well.” Alexander was not the best at lying.

“Neither did my daughter. Must be something in the air,” the Governor remarks absently. “She has been in her room all day and will not be joining us this evening.”

Alexander’s face brightens. “Isabella will not be joining us?”

“No, Isabella is fine,” the Governor smiles and Alexander’s face falls again. “It is her sister that is feeling ill. You and Isabella have not seen each other in ages. I have to warn you, Alexander. Isabella has grown to be quite a young lady. I am receiving many offers for her hand in marriage. But you will be happy to know that I have declined them all. Your father has mentioned your interest in her. I knew you were a special young man the moment I saw you, Alexander. And I warn you now. You will not hurt my little girl. Is that clear?”

Alexander’s mouth drops, too stunned to utter a word. Him and Isabella Valenti … together … married? He suddenly feels nauseous.

“Is that clear, Alexander?” Valenti asks in a more threatening tone.

“Y-y-yes, sir,” Alexander squeaks out. Could the situation be any worse?

Just then, a servant enters the room. “The Judge requests your presence at his house at once, sir. He says that it is quite urgent and has something to do with his son, young Sean Deluca.”

Valenti nods at the servant and turns to Alexander. “Accept my apologies. I must go. It has been a pleasure seeing you once again, Alexander. We will talk more about the situation with Isabella at a later date.”

“That is quite all right, sir. We will simply have to reschedule this dinner,” Alexander says, standing up from his seat.

“No, that will not be necessary. Although my eldest daughter and I cannot join you, I am sure you would not mind having a lovely dinner with Isabella.” With that, Valenti heads for the door. “Oh, and Alexander?” he says, stopping just outside. “I am entrusting you to be a gentlemen and have dinner with Isabella, nothing more,” he says with a small wink and leaves. Alexander, still confused as to what exactly just happened, begin questioning how his life is becoming even more confusing.

A servant shows Alexander into the dining area and he takes a seat at one end of the table. Isabella has yet to arrive. There is soft music playing in the background and a few candles lit on the table, creating quite a romantic atmosphere. He situation he currently finds himself in makes him groan. God, he will give anything to be Maxwell at this moment. Alexander is proud of his older brother, truly. It is just that Maxwell always catches all the attention, the fame, the glory, and the women. Alexander, on the other hand, is and always has been merely accessory to the great Maxwell Philip Evans. He is so far into the background, that people hardly even notice him.

He suddenly comes to a realization. It is his own damn fault. He lets people ignore him. He lets them push him about. He is always too shy to speak up. And frankly, he is tired of it. Things are going to change. Starting this very moment, he is going to change his life. He will no longer allow others to kick him about or poke fun of him any longer. This pup is ready to bite back. Alexander Evans is reborn. And if Isabella has anything to say, he will be ready to put her in her place where she belongs.

Just then, the doors open and in she walks with her blond hair and blue eyes. He is actually disappointed at what he sees. She is pleasant, he supposes, but he had expected her to be more handsome … and taller. He stands up to greet her. “Good evening,” Alexander says politely, with a slight bow.

She appraises him with a disapproving look on her face. “You are thin for boy. You do not resemble Maxwell Evans at all in build or charm.”

That did it. The old Alexander would brush the comment aside. But the new Alexander? No. He looks her up and down with the same antipathy on his face. “Yes? Well at least I don’t bear resemblance to a gerbil.”

Her face turns red with anger. She speaks through clenched teeth. “Isabella wanted me to inform you that since it was merely you joining her for dinner, she decided to take her time in getting ready.” And with that, the short yellow haired girl turns on her heel, sending her curls flying everywhere, and storms out of the room.

Alexander is shocked yet again. His newly grown backbone quickly disappears. All he can do is stare at the doors after she slams them shut. If she is not Isabella, then who is she?

--------------

It is already getting dark when Maxwell arrives back into the city. Many of the people he passes congratulate him for yet another victory against Sean Deluca. Maxwell smiles and thanks them, but his mind is clearly elsewhere, or rather focused on someone else. He cannot push the dark haired girl from his mind. He did not know what power she possesses that keeps him so captivated by her. She is a mystery to him.

She seems to have cast her spell on Dreamer as well. Maxwell did not know what she did, but Dreamer fully recovered. Perhaps even faster than before. The brown haired angel seems to bring the best out of everyone whose lives she touches. Maxwell is so deep in thought that he does not hear his mother calling him. Diane shakes him to get him out of his daze.

“What … mum … mother … what is it?” He asks after she finally releases him.

“I have been calling you for ages,” Diane says, smiling at her son.

“Yes. I apologize, mother. I was thinking of something,” Maxwell says, heading into the stables.

“Something or someone?” Diane asks with a smile.

Maxwell looks up at her. “Mothers always seem to know everything, do they not?”

“Always. Now tell me. Is she pretty?”

“Mother! I do not wish to discuss my love life with you. After all, I am practically a man,” Maxwell says, standing as tall as he can.

Love life? Oh, she must pretty for my son to be speaking of love.”

“Mother!” Maxwell’s cheeks turn red from embarrassment.

“Oh, come along, Maxwell. You can always tell me anything.”

“I know, it is just … it is hard to find the right words to do justice to the emotions I am feeling at the moment,” Maxwell says, a far-off look in his eyes again.

“Precious. My son, the romantic,” Diane says, looking her son in the eye, seeing how much he has grown. “You get it from your father,” She adds, with pride. “Which reminds me, your father wishes to speaks with you. I tried to put in a good word for you where I could, but I do not know what god it will do you this time, Maxwell.”

“Thank you, mother,” Maxwell gives her a reassuring smile, kisses her on the cheek, and starts toward his father’s office.

A frown grows on Diane’s lips as she realizes just how much her eldest son is growing.

“Oh, and mother?” She turns to see her son stopped at the doorway. “She’s beautiful. Just like you,” Maxwell gives her a loving smile and heads in to face the wrath of his father.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Four

It is close to dark when Michael and Maria leave the restaurant. Dinner is somewhat … uneventful. Michael fidgeted the entire time. He could not seem to act normal in front of her. She would make conversation, but all he could do is stare at her.

She is just so dazzling. Her smile lights up the entire room. Her eyes hypnotize him for hours. She is just … radiant … luminous … bright … words could not describe her. If only he can stop acting like such a fool in front of her.

“Michael?” she reaches and touches his face to gain his attention. It is getting dark and she had to hurry and head home.

As soon as her fingertips graze his cheek, he feels shivers run through him and head straight for his heart.

“I … I am sorry. My mind is somewhere else,” he says, nervously running his hand through his hair and chuckling.

“Yes. I noticed.” Honestly, she did not want to disturb him. He is darling when he is lost in his own world. His eyes sparkle and his lips curl up ever so slightly. Unfortunately, it is getting late and she must head home. “I had a really nice time tonight. Thank you, again, for saving me.”

“Maria, why must you always get into these situations? You could become injured in some way. And where would that leave me?” Michael asks with concern.

“Would you honestly like to know, Michael?” she asks with a small gleam in her eyes. She takes a step closer to him and she can feel the warmth coming from his body.

Michael nods his head, not trusting his voice. His breathing becomes more labored with her near. She is so close that her lips brushed up against his as she spoke. “So you can save me.” And she kisses him.

Michael is too stunned to kiss her back or run his fingers through her hair. He is too stunned to even think. She is kissing him. Maria, his Maria. His heart pounds a mile a minute, but before he could register what happens, she is gone. He looks about and sees her wave to him with a smile on her face before she disappears around the corner.

Michael stands there, dazed, for perhaps half an hour more before he heads off. He keeps that spacey look on his face all the way home.

--------------

After the incident with the short blond girl, Alexander does not know what to do. He sits back and waits for Isabella to arrive. It gives him time to think. Why is he so frightened to see Isabella? What is it about her that frightens him so much? Something that sent shivers down his spine. Is it really shivers he remembers, or is it more along the lines of a fluttering feeling? Alexander does not have much more time to contemplate. The door slowly opens. He lets out a sigh, stands up, slightly bowing his head. “Good evening, Isabella.”

“Good evening, Alexander. May I still call you Alex?” The sweet voice reaches Alexander’s ears and he slowly starts to lift his head. He took note of her long silky legs, her slim waist, and her shapely body, all the way up to her sparkling blue eyes. He is openly gawking at the figure before him. Suddenly, he feels those all too familiar shivers coming over him again. They do not feel like shivers anymore. Yes, they definitely feel more like a fluttering feeling. It feels like something flapping, tickling his heart from the inside.

To say that Isabella is slightly uncomfortable is an understatement. She feels as though her knees are about to give way under his intense scrutiny. He stares so intently that it is begins to make Isabella feel insecure. What if he does not like what he sees? What if he still finds her plain? “I am sorry to keep you waiting. I wanted to look perfect.”

Alexander immediately snaps out of his daze when he realizes she has spoken. “You are well worth the wait. You look lovely, Isabella.” He says it with such emotion that Isabella had to stop herself from literally jumping for joy. He starts staring at her again and Isabella feels her knees weaken once more. She has to sit down.

She starts over towards her chair but Alexander rushes ahead of her to help. “Still the gentleman,” Isabella says with a remembering smile. He smiles back as he pushes her chair in and takes his own seat.

Dinner is served. Over dinner he chitchats with her about little things, how her studies are going, her hobbies, likes and dislikes. After dinner, Isabella invites Alexander for a stroll in the garden.

Alexander feels the fluttering shivers in full effect. He has yet to consider what they are. They walk in silence, taking in the beauty before them. Alexander notices rustling in the distance and sees a shadowy figure ascending up a nearby tree. He immediately goes to defend Isabella and shields her from the intruder.

“It’s all right, Alex,” Isabella says, stepping from out behind him. “It is just my sister.”

Alexander ponders. That figure, it looks familiar.

“It is getting late,” Isabella says, drawing Alexander’s gaze back towards her. “It was a wonderful evening. Perhaps we can do this again sometime soon.”

“Of course. And the pleasure is all mine,” Alexander says, kissing her hand. He then looks into her eyes, gives her a sweet smile, and departs with the fluttery shivers never once leaving him. Frankly, he didn’t want them to this time around.

--------------

Maxwell stands outside his father’s office pondering over any and all possible excuses to account for worrying his father yet again. He takes a deep breath. He will have to trust his mouth to say the right words when needed. He knocks and slowly enters.

“Maxwell, take a seat,” his father says without even glancing in his direction. “I heard about your little contest with the Deluca boy. I thought we agreed that you would cut back on your play and try and focus more on work.” Philip finally turns around and sits down in the seat in front of Maxwell.

“I know father …”

“Soon your play will be affected by your work and vice versa,” Philip interrupts. “How you are viewed socially will affect how you are viewed professionally. How you are viewed at work will affect how you are viewed outside of work. I know the people love you now for your free spirit, but will they do business with a man who is known for his no work, all play lifestyle?”

Maxwell keeps his head down and sighs. “I can only promise that I will try my hardest. I just … I don’t know if I can live the life you do. I have tasted adventure, and now I do not know if I can give that up.”

Philip sighs and looks at Maxwell. “I had my cravings for action when I was your age too. But, son, I can honestly tell you that it gets better.” Maxwell lifts his head and looks at his father with hope. “My sense of adventure never died. When I was your age, I was more reckless than you were. But then, I met your mother. And falling in love, marrying, and having a family is an adventure in its own. Do you understand what I am trying to say, Maxwell? When you fall in love, you will want more than anything to make her happy and you will try your hardest to give her the life you know she deserves. There are all the challenges in trying to please her, and it’s going to be tougher than any race with the Deluca boy. You just have to find the right girl.”

“I already have,” Maxwell whispers, but Philip hears all the same.

“Who, the Governor’s daughter?” Philip asks, noticing the far-off look in his son’s eyes. Maxwell is growing up. He is going to make one girl very happy one of these days.

Maxwell makes a face at his father’s assumption. “No. I have never even met the Governor’s daughter.”

Philip sighs. If Maxwell will only see the benefit of what a marriage to her would bring him. It will profit him in more ways than one. But Philip did not believe in arranged marriages, nor marriages for political reasons. “Who is she then?” his father queries.

“I do not know,” Maxwell says with a melancholy look on his face.

“What is her name?”

“Elizabeth,” Maxwell says the name with such longing.

“Elizabeth who? Of what family?” Philip asks, wanting to praise the girl for being able to tame such a free spirit as Maxwell’s.

“I do not know.” Sadness returns to his face.

“Then how do you know you want to spend the rest of your life with her?”

“I just do,” Maxwell says with a shrug. “Father, do you believe in love at first sight?” Maxwell looks at Philip for an honest answer.

Philip sees the pleading look in Maxwell’s eyes. “How do you think I fell in love with your mother?” Maxwell’s eyes sparkle more.

“So…” Philip decides to change the subject. “How was the race with Deluca? Did you win?”

Maxwell has a smirk on his face. “Do you even have to ask?”

Philip chuckles. “That is my boy.”

“An Evans never turns down a challenge,” Maxwell says with confidence.

Philip’s tone becomes serious again. “Maxwell, I had a meeting with Governor Valenti and Judge Deluca about you and Sean today. They do not approve of this feud between the two of you any more than I do.”

“What do you want me to do? Let him win?” Maxwell asks exasperatedly.

“I am not saying that. I just do not want it to grow to become any larger than it already is.”

“Yes, father,” Maxwell agrees with a sigh.

“Take me seriously, Maxwell. Sean Deluca already has a criminal mind. If his father were not the Judge and his uncle, the Governor, he would probably already have been imprisoned. The next time you beat him, I am not so sure that he will just shake your hand and walk away.”

“Worry not, father. I will stay out of trouble. I promise,” Maxwell says sincerely.

Philip smiles. “Have you eaten?”

“Yes. I ate some mountain berries.”

“Mountain berries? Where did you find mountain berries around here? They are only found on Mount Roswell.”

“I know,” and so is she. Maxwell sighs, bids his father goodnight and retires to his room.

On his way to his room, Maxwell passes by Alexander, who is turning in early with complaints of tickling shivers. Odd. Maxwell stops in Michael’s room to pick up the money but Michael does not even notice him enter. He just keeps gazing out the window with a goofy grin on his face. Also odd. Maxwell will have to find out what happened while he was away tomorrow. He is just too tired tonight. The day truly wore him down.

He enters his room and sits down. He pulls out her bag and empties the contents onto his bed. He has eaten the food she had packed. All that is left is the book and a money pouch.

He opens the small pouch and two silver pieces fall out. Two silver pieces? That is all the money she carries with her? You could not buy anything with two silver pieces. You could not even buy a drink with that amount. At least, not here in Kingdom City, and not at the places that Maxwell liked to frequent. He sighs and empties his prize money into her pouch. It is hers, after all.

He puts her things back into the bag and smiles as his fingers traced the small, embroidered letters. “Elizabeth …” Sighing, he places the bag in a safe spot and prepares for bed. There is just something about her that draws him in. He will have to find out what that is.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Five:

Morning at the Governor’s estate is always the same. Servants will come in, wake the girls, and tidy up their rooms for them while they prepare for breakfast. Isabella will always be ready before anyone. She will run to her sister’s room and they will talk about the exciting events from their previous day.

Isabella never really had much to talk about until today. Her dinner with Alexander was wonderful. He is more handsome than she remembers him to be. But Isabella never has more to talk about than her sister. Her sister always has some exciting story about her life on the outside.

“God, I envy you,” Isabella says with a sigh.

“Then why do you never join me?”

Isabella lets out a laugh. “I would not dare disobey father’s wishes.”

“So tell me about Alexander. Is he everything you imagined him to be?”

“That and more,” Isabella says with a smile. “And how was your day with your knight in shining armor? Did your plan work?”

“Like a charm.”

“Will you ever reveal his identity to me?” Isabella pleads, interested to who had her sister so captivated.

“I will,” is all she says before they are interrupted and informed that breakfast is ready.

Breakfast is the only time all three family members could spend quality time together. James Valenti works most of the day, leaving the girls by themselves at home.

James sits down and looks at his two beautiful daughters. They are growing up so quickly. It has been hard raising the two girls by himself, but he has managed. They remind him so much of their mother. They had her compassion and her beauty, Isabella especially. She had her mother’s golden hair and blue eyes and her gentle spirit. His other daughter, on the other hand, had her mother’s golden hair but his green eyes and his feisty character. His wife died when both girls were very young. She was murdered when she was out in the street one night. James was so afraid afterwards that he forbade his girls from leaving the house. Both understood why.

“Father? Is everything alright?” Isabella asks timidly when she notices how he is staring.

“Everything is fine, dear,” James says as he comes out of his daze. “How was your dinner with Alexander?”

“It was lovely. He says he would stop by again soon.”

“Good. I really like Alexander. He is a fine young gentleman. Very intelligent, at that.” James then looks towards his eldest daughter. “I met with Philip Evans the other day about Maxwell. He agrees that it would be splendid if you and Maxwell …”

“Father!” she throws down her napkin. “I told you many times, I am not interested in Maxwell.”

“Rosemary,” he warns. “Do not use that tone with me young lady.”

Maria pouts and sits back down. He only uses that name when he is upset. “I’m already interested in someone.”

“Who?” James demands, then changes his tone. The only way to get through to his daughter was to speak sensibly to her. “Maria, you know that it cannot be just anyone. We are highly respected in this town. Not only that, but you deserve a good life with someone who can take care of you.”

“He can, father,” Maria says pleadingly. “He will take care of me. He always has. He is not just anyone either, father. He is an Evans.”

James stares at his daughter.

Isabella emotions flare. “Maria, Philip Evans only has two children. If you do not want Maxwell, then you want…”

Maria looks over at Isabella. “No. That’s not who I meant.” But Isabella runs out of the room before Maria can explain further. Maria stands to follow her but her father calls her back.

“Explain.”

Maria lets out a sigh. “It is not Alexander, if that is what you are thinking. He is an Evans. Well … Philip and Diane did take him in …”

“Michael?”

Maria nods her head. She does not know how her father would react. Although Michael did become higher in society when he joined the Evans family, he is still a Guerin and his real father is not a man to brag of. He was the town drunk. James has arrested the man on many occasions.

“Great. Michael is a fine young man. He is loyal, loving, and he is not one to be picked on. He will take good care of you. I will have a talk with Philip soon.”

Maria cannot believe what she hears. Her father likes the idea of her with Michael.

“I will go and talk with Isabella,” he says and stands up to find his youngest daughter.

“Father?” Maria calls out. James turns back toward her. “Who is Amy?”

James begins to panic. “How do you know about Amy?”

“I do not. I just … I heard you whispering her name in your sleep. I did not understand though. Was mother’s name not Melissa?” Maria asks, confused.

James sighs with a saddened tone. “Amy does not exist anymore.” And he vanishes through the door. It is not the first time she had heard of that name. Her father mutters it many times when he has a far-off look in his eyes. Maria knows something is wrong and she is going to get to the bottom of it.

--------------

A smile graces Alexander’s lips. They hold hands, gazing up at the stars near Mystical Pond. The water is calm and peaceful and reflects the stars. It is incredible. From their point of view, they are surrounded by stars.

“It’s beautiful, Alexander.”

“Not as beautiful as you, Isabella.” She gazes up at him lovingly. He runs his fingers through her hair and looks at her. “You have captured all the stars. They glitter in your eyes.”

Isabella blushes slightly with a shy grin on her face. She looks back up at him and gasps when she sees the hunger in his eyes. She licks her lips and slowly parts them. Alexander lowers his head slowly. His heart beats a mile a minute. He can feel the warmth from her body as he leans ever closer. His hands move to hold her around her waist and she places her hands on his chest. He can almost taste her lips when, suddenly, he feels her pushing him into the water with a splash.

Alexander wakes with a start. Water is everywhere. He is completely soaked. What, in god’s name, happened? He looks up to see, standing before his bed, Isabella with a now empty bucket of water in her hands. The look on her face tells him she is furious.

“Isabella?” Alexander asks, still somewhat unsteady. “Wh-what has happened?”

“I will tell you what has happened. You courting me along while you are off seeing my sister,” she says with tears coming out of her eyes.

“Wait … what is this talk of your sister?” Alexander says, getting up to retrieve a towel in an effort to dry himself.

“Do not worry. I am not angry with my sister. The blame does not lie with her. It lies with you,” she spits out and storms from his room. She speeds down the hallway and through the house, pushing both Michael and Maxwell out of her way. They watch as a dripping-wet Alexander runs after her.

“What happened?” Michael asks Maxwell.

“I have not a clue. This day grows more and more exciting,” Maxwell says, taking a seat. He motions for Michael to follow suit.

“What do you mean?” Michael asks.

“Nothing. Aside from overhearing, this morning, father speaking with Governor Valenti. They were discussing the arrangements and details for your engagement to the lovely Rosemary,” Maxwell says casually. Michael jumps up from his seat.

“What?! Rosemary and I? Engaged? H-how could this happen?” Michael paces the floor. “Are you certain of what you heard? Are you positive she is not to be engaged to you?”

“Most definitely. I chatted with father last night and told him how I felt of such an arrangement between Rosemary and I. I, simply, have no interest in her. And, apparently, her affections towards me are mutual. In fact, she seems to be in love with you, dear Michael,” Maxwell says with a smirk.

Michael stops his pacing to stare at Maxwell. “With me? I have never laid eyes on her, not have I ever spoken one word to her in my life.”

Maxwell sighs and shakes his head. He sympathizes with his close friend. “You should have told father about Maria. You can never take his threats too lightly.”

Michael hangs his head and pleads with Maxwell. “Maxwell, you must help me find a way out of this situation. How am I to explain this to Maria?”

“Explain to me what?” Maria appears from nowhere, like always. Michael stares at her. She is beautiful, more so today than usual.

Michael is pulled out of his daze when his father and Governor Valenti enter the room. “Maxwell, would you excuse us. We have some issues to discuss with Michael.”

“Gladly,” Maxwell says, standing up from his seat. He smiles sympathetically at Michael. “Coming, Maria?”

“Actually Maxwell, this concerns her as well,” Valenti says, shooing Maxwell from the room. Although confused, Maxwell leaves, certain that he will discover the news from Michael later. At the moment, he had more important matters to deal with.

--------------

Elizabeth wakes to the sound of birds chirping in the distance. The sun shines through the window, basking her in light and warmth. She smiles.

She wonders to Kyle’s whereabouts, not seeing him in bed. Typical. He is always up before the sun even had a chance to rise. She hears feet shuffling and pans clanking in the next room and smiles again. Kyle is making breakfast. Kyle prides himself on his cooking abilities, even after all these years.

“Elizabeth, breakfast is ready,” Kyle calls in a singsong voice from the kitchen. “You should grow accustomed to waking earlier.”

Elizabeth stretches and stands to wake. Kyle is incredible. Her awful encounter with that … person, left her so … frustratingly angry. It is worse that she seems to have lost her bag, and with it what little money she has and her food for the evening. Fortunately, Kyle had food prepared and waiting for her when she arrived home. He always does. One would think him her father of sort, constantly concerned she has plenty to eat.

Last night, she reached the isolated small mountain cabin still fuming, thinking of her unpleasant day, but one look at Kyle and she cannot help but muster at least a small smile, no matter how forged, for his sake.

One cannot feel angry in the presence of Kyle. It feels immoral. He is calm, tranquil, and peaceful. He must to be, in his line of work. She will have to learn to become so too, soon, one day.

Elizabeth sits down as Kyle sets a plate before her and takes his seat. Bread, fruit, and vegetables. It is all she has ever eaten her entire life. It is all she has ever known.

She looks up when she notices Kyle is not eating. He leans forward and places a hand on her forehead. “Are you feeling alright this morning, Elizabeth?”

“Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?” she asks and Kyle removes his hand.

“I am not certain. Yesterday you looked a bit tired and last night you kept tossing and turning in bed.” Elizabeth sighs deeply. She did not sleep well last night. It is the same horrible dream over and over. She is running in the forest, being chased by something. It is always the same. Only this time, when she trips and falls, someone saves her. He gathers her up in his arms and carries her off, taking her far away from all the darkness. He has such emotional, expressive, deep amber eyes. They soothe her so that she found herself waking with a smile on her face.

Her glazed look does not help to ease Kyle’s worry.

Elizabeth places her hand over his and smiles. “I am fine.” She stands to clear their plates and Kyle leaves to the sanctuary to meditate.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Six:

Isabella runs straight back towards her estate. She can hear Alexander calling her from behind, but she keeps running. How can she face the humiliation of him knowing she cares for him while he chooses to have her sister instead? How can she possibly think that he will have chosen her over Maria? Maria is older. Maria has poise, beauty, and class. Why will he not prefer Maria? Everyone will prefer Maria. They always prefer Maria. Isabella runs into her house and straight to her bedroom, ordering the guards on the way that under no circumstances is Alexander to be allowed in. They nod their heads and leave to their posts outside the gate.

Alexander chases after Isabella. He is positive everyone is staring after him. After all, he is running about, completely soaked, in his bedclothes. But it makes no difference to him. He must find Isabella. What is she talking about? He and Rosemary? He has never even laid eyes upon Rosemary before.

Lord, can Isabella run! Those long legs of hers sure do move fast. He can not stand it any longer. He has to stop. His throat is dry. His lungs are deprived of air. And his side is cramping. No wonder people tease him for being a weakling. He cannot even outrun a girl. His breathing evens but his side still aches, so he speed-walks as fast as he can the rest of the way to the Valenti estate. As he tries to pass through the gate, the guards stop him.

“Oh. My apologies, men. You probably do not recognize me in my semi-wet bedclothes, but I am Alexander Evans,” Alexander flashes them a bright smile and tries to walk through, but was once again not permitted to enter.

“I am terribly sorry, young Evans, but Miss Isabella strictly forbids us to allow you entrance onto the estate,” says one of the guards.

Alexander can not believe it. Isabella did not wish to see him because he did something to anger her but he is not even aware of what he has done. He let out a sigh. “Women!” he mutters, shaking his head.

No. He cannot consciously leave it at that. He will not let the shivers fade once again. He must do something. Timid little Alexander is anymore. He is the new and improved Alexander. And the new and improved Alexander will not back away with out a fight.

With his mind made up, He is going to force Isabella to explain herself one way or another. And if Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb out front did not like it, then tough on them. He will simply enter through another way.

Alexander walks halfway around the estate until he finds a large enough gap between two poles of the fence. He makes certain no one was watching and slides through. “Being skinny has an advantage in this case, Miss Gerbil,” Alexander mutters as he heads off in the direction of Isabella’s window.

Isabella lies in her bed, crying into her pillow when she hears someone calling her name. She passes it off as her imagination, but it is pretty darn insistent, and annoying at that. She makes her way over to her window and sees Alexander standing down below. She crouches onto the floor, hoping he did not notice her.

“Isabella, I know you are there. I saw you. Now, tell me what is going on,” he yells up to her.

Isabella continues to sit. Perhaps if she stays very quiet, he will get bored and leave.

“I am not leaving until you at least tell me what I have done wrong,” Alexander continues.

Darn. Why did he have to be so persistent? Because then you would not feel the way you do about him if he was not, Isabella thought to herself. She sighs knowingly.

“Please, Isabella. I beg of you, are you truly going to force me to stand here in my bedclothes all day?” Alexander asks, twirling around for her to see.

Isabella chuckles. She is already giving in to him.

“After all, they are a bit old fashion, you know. I have had them for years. They are a bit short, as well. You can see my ankles. Honestly, what will people think?” Alexander mock-gasps and smiles when he hears her soft giggle from up above.

She stands and leans on her windowsill. “What do you want?”

He gets down on his knee and looks up at her. “Forgive me?”

Isabella sighs. How can she not forgive? He is too adorable for words. “You are forgiven.”

“May I ask one more thing of you, Isabella?” Alexander says, standing up.

“Yes?”

“What did I do to upset you?”

Isabella just looks at him, shakes her head, and says softly, “Come up and we will discuss the matter.” Alexander heads into the house. He has a feeling it was going to be one unbelievable story.

--------------

Michael is beyond confused. What issue could possibly concern Maria, his father, the Governor, and himself? What is happening? He glances at Maria. The sweet smile on her face tells him she knows far more than he does on the matter.

“Shall we all have a seat?” Philip suggests. He motions for Valenti to the armchair while he pulls out a chair for himself, leaving the settee for Michael and Maria.

“Am I right to assume that Maxwell has already informed you of what I wish to discuss with you?” Philip asks, looking at Michael.

Michael nods his head in agreement.

“That boy always seems to know everything that’s going on in this town,” Valenti says with a soft chuckle.

James Valenti is greatly fond of Maxwell. Maxwell reminded him of himself when he was young, back when things were simple and he had his whole life ahead of him. Everything was perfect. He was born into a very well respected family. He would take on his father’s position as Governor when he grew older. He had the perfect job, the perfect life, and the perfect girl. Perhaps, a little too perfect. Maybe … if James had not taken her with him that night … if James had not gone off and left her alone … ‘he’ might not have seen her … would not have been given the chance to ask her to dance … would not have gotten the chance to whisk her away … and she just might still be with him … maybe …

“I still do not understand how this has anything to do with Maria,” Michael says, interrupting the Governor’s thoughts. His fingers tap away nervously.

Maria keeps a knowing smile on her face. She reaches down and entwined her fingers through his. Michael visibly calms and smiles.

She turns to him, gives his hand a squeeze, and speaks calmly. “Michael, my father and Mr. Evans are here to arrange a possible engagement between the two of us. They think it best for both of us to be present in the discussion as well.”

Michael is still somewhat confused. “Your father?”

Maria smiles. “Yes, Michael. My father,” Maria says, tilting her head slightly in the Governor’s direction.

Both Philip and James watch on with curiosity. “Michael, did you not know that Rosemary is my daughter?” Jim asks.

Michael lifts and eyebrow and smirks at Maria. “Rosemary?” he questions.

Maria gave him a warning glare.

Michael chuckles. He releases Maria’s hand and places his arm around her, pulling her body to lean in closer to his. “So,” he begins, turning towards the two older men, “what part of our engagement should we discuss first?”

--------------

Maxwell needs to come up with a plan to solve his dilemma. He needs to think. And when is he his best at thinking? When Alexander thinks for him. Problem solved. He simply needs to find Alexander. But Alexander was last seen running out of the house, chasing after a girl. So Maxwell must sit back and wait for Alexander.

He waits on Whitman Road. It is one of the busiest streets in the city. Alexander will have to pass him on the way home and Maxwell can catch him then. Maxwell sits himself down beside a tree trunk and leans back to wait.

He watches the people go back and forth, up and down the street. Some wave to him. He nods at them in greeting. Almost every girl walks by promenading in front of him, winking and smiling seductively, but he seems to not notice. He only interest lies in seeing the brown haired head of two people, Alexander or Elizabeth.

The girl haunts his senses. The touch of her skin, the smell of her hair, the sound of her voice, the sparkling gleam in her eyes … Maxwell sighs … He has spent no more than half an hour in the presence of this beauty, yet she fills his every thought. He even carries her satchel with him, in hopes of seeing her once again.

He gathers the bag onto his lap and opens it. The smell of flowers fills his nose. Maxwell sighs. He is hopeless. Well, it does not look as though Alexander will show for a while yet. Maxwell might as well do a little reading.

He pulls her book out, placing the bag on the ground beside him. The book is rich violet in color, with a soft velvet-like cover. In small, gold, cursive letters at the bottom right hand corner is written Elizabeth Parker. Parker. He did not know anyone by the name of Parker. He would have to ask around later. He flips through the first few pages and begins reading something that catches his eye.

… Kyle snores. It is hard to sleep with him snoring so loudly next to me. But then, it is not as though I am able to sleep a great deal. The nightmares are recurring daily now. I am too scared to sleep. Afraid that one time, whoever it is I’ am running from in the dream might catch me before I wake …

“What are you reading?” Tess asks, plopping herself down on the ground close to Maxwell, a little too close for Maxwell’s comfort. But then, he did not feel comfortable anywhere within a mile of Tess.

“Nothing,” he says, closing the book as he moves away from her.

Tess simply edges closer, obviously not taking the hint. “Oh, what do you have here?” she asks, reaching out for the bag next to Maxwell. He snatches it away from her before she can get her hands on it.

“Did you never learn not to touch other people’s belongings without permission?” he says, scooting away from her further.

“Does that include touching you?” she asks, placing a hand on his thigh.

“Yes, it does,” Maxwell says with revulsion. “Now, please remove your hand.” Tess pouts but just runs her hand higher up his thigh.

“Well, well. What do we have here?” Sean asks in a singsong voice, eyeing Tess’s hand where she touches Maxwell. Tess removes her hand and flushes with the embarrassment of being caught.

“So,” Sean starts, “my uncle has informed me that you are not to marry my cousin. Apparently, she takes to Michael better.” Sean meant for the comment to anger Maxwell, but it only makes Maxwell smile.

“Yes. I am delighted for him,” Maxwell replies honestly.

“Precisely. I see how you have moved on to my sister,” Sean says, glancing between the two of them. Tess blushes even more while a look of disgust comes over Maxwell’s face.

“Sean,” Maxwell says in a low threatening tone. “There is absolutely nothing between Tess and I.”

Tess begins to protest, “But…”

“Tess,” Sean interrupts, “head on home. Father is looking for you.”

“Very well. Good day, Maxwell,” she says batting her eyelashes at him before she scampers off. Maxwell does his best to ignore her without rolling his eyes. He is in no way, shape, or form, attracted to the creature that is Tess.

“Since you are running about with my sister, I suppose that Elizabeth is available to call upon.”

Maxwell’s ears perk up, his face like stone, and his anger boils. “I will only say this once, Sean. I am NOT with Tess. And you are NOT to so much as look at Elizabeth. Do you hear me?”

“And who is going to stop me? You?” Sean takes a step closer to Maxwell.

“Yes, me.” Maxwell is about to throw a punch at Sean, but someone grabs his arm.

“Hold on there, Maxwell,” Alexander says, still gripping Maxwell’s arm. “Hold your horses. Remember what father says? Is Sean really worth upsetting father over?”

Maxwell weighs his options and Alexander is right. Maxwell sighs, calming his anger. “No, Sean is not worth it. Sean is not worth anything.” Maxwell glares at Sean once more and grabs his bag from off the ground.

“Come on, Alexander. I have been meaning to have a talk with you,” Maxwell says. The two brothers head off, leaving an infuriated Sean behind.

--------------

After the incident with Sean, Maxwell and Alexander find a more secluded area to talk.

“I still do not understand what you want of me, Maxwell,” Alexander says, looking at his brother. It is hard to say no to Maxwell in any way.

“Alexander,” Maxwell smiles. “You are my brother. We are family. You must help me.”

Alexander’s frustration is apparent. “Maxwell, you are the one who possesses the devious mind. I only ever restate the facts while you think up the plan.”

“Alright, restate the facts for me,” Maxwell says, listening carefully.

“Okay,” Alexander begins counting off on his fingers. “First, father wishes for you to marry.”

“I have already found her,” Maxwell says easily.

“Secondly, father wishes for you to focus more on work than play.”

“Hmm… that one is tough.”

“Thirdly, the girl you want is on Mount Roswell.”

“Then, we must find a way to get to Mount Roswell,” Maxwell says simply.

“Fourth, there is some Kyle person. What is he to her, by the way?” Alexander asks, curious to know.

“I do not know. His name is written in this book she has in her bag. I think it is a diary of some sort,” Maxwell says, picking up the bag and placing it in his lap.

“Well then, open it and let us have a look,” Alexander says, smiling.

Maxwell looks at his brother. “I cannot, Alexander. It is private. I cannot consciously invade her personal thoughts.”

“Maxwell, not only did you invade her personal thoughts when you read her diary the first time, you also spied on her while she bathed.”

“I know,” Maxwell says with a groan. “And look where it has gotten me. She was ready to murder me then, Alexander. And besides, I did not know it was a diary when I first began reading it.”

“Well, I know it is a diary and I do not mind reading it at all. So hand it to me,” Alexander says, reaching for the bag.

Maxwell pushes his hand away. “No one will be touching her things.”

Alexander lets out a sigh. “Let us move on then,” he says, giving up. “Next, Sean is angry with you and Tess wants you.”

Maxwell looks at his brother as though he has gone dumb. “Alexander Charles Evans, when has that not been a problem?”

Alexander looks at his brother. “You are right, ignore that last part. All we have left is that father wants you to work and Elizabeth is on Mount Roswell.”

Maxwell smiles. “This is simply too easy, Alexander. The heavens must love me,” Maxwell says, chuckling.

“What do you mean?” Alexander asks, looking at his brother as though he has gone mad.

“Think it through,” Maxwell explains. “Father wishes for me to be more responsible and work, correct?”

Alexander nods his head.

Maxwell continues, “He is also in need of someone to manage and keep a close eye on the second warehouse, correct?”

Alexander nods again.

“It is the perfect way to gain responsibility and please father,” Maxwell says, proud of himself.

“I still do not see how this helps with the …” Alexander begins.

“Where is father’s second warehouse located, Alexander?” Maxwell interrupts him.

Alexander smiles, finally understanding. “In the quiet little village of Zanstown, which is located at the base of Mount Roswell.”

Maxwell smirks. “Exactly. We will inform father.”

Maxwell grabs his bag and runs off excitedly towards home. Alexander simply shakes his head and watches his brother go. Maxwell is not even certain of this girl even returns his affections, yet he is already willing to throw himself off a bridge for her. He must be in love.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Seven:

“So I suppose it is settled,” Philip says, clasping his hands together. “We will hold a ball in two weeks and announce the engagement.”

Philip stands to shake hands with Governor Valenti. Maria and Michael look at one another and smile.

“I cannot believe we are to be married,” Michael whispers to her, running his fingers through her hair.

“Neither I,” Maria whispers back, throwing her arms around him, gathering him in a fierce embrace, and placing kisses all over his face. Michael holds her tightly. He is not ever going to let her go now that he has her. They stay this way until they hear someone clear their throat rather loudly.

Only then did they remember the presence of others in the room. Maria turns red and buries her head in Michael’s shoulder. Michael looks up to find the amused faces of Philip, James, and Maxwell. When had Maxwell come in? Michael was too preoccupied with Maria to notice.

“I should leave, Philip. I have some matters to discuss with my brother,” James says, shaking Philip’s hand once again. “Maria, let us go.”

Maria pouts, but does as her father says and heads toward the door, but not before giving Michael one last kiss.

“Father, I have some business to discuss with you,” Maxwell says as soon as Governor Valenti leaves.

“I would like to, Maxwell, but I am meeting with someone,” Philip says, glancing at his watch. “Here he is right now,” Philip says as a servant escorts Sean into the room.

“Hello, Maxwell. It is good to see you,” Sean says with a smirk.

“Let us meet in my office, Sean,” Philip says, leading the way. He opens the door to his office and lets Sean enter. “Your uncle tells me you wished to speak with me about a job offer…” The last few words could be heard before Philip follows Sean in and shuts the door behind him.

Maxwell stare at the closed door. No. This will not due. Sean will ruin everything. Maxwell lets out a frustrating groan.

“What is the matter, Maxwell?” Michael asks, coming from behind him and placing a hand on Maxwell’s shoulder.

“This cannot be happening,” Maxwell stands staring at the closed door.

“Is something the matter, boys?” Diane asks as she enters the room.

“My life,” Maxwell mutters as he drops himself down onto the settee.

Diane looks at her son and sighs. “Michael, run along. I need to have a talk with Maxwell.”

“I will be in my room if you need me,” Michael says, already heading up the stairs.

Diane waits until Michael leaves before she walks over to Maxwell. She sits down beside him and leans his head onto her shoulder. “Tell me what has upset you.”

“Everything, mother,” Maxwell sighs out.

“Is this about the girl?” Diane asks.

“Everything is about her. I cannot push her from my thoughts. It is complicated. And then there is Sean...”

“Sean?” she asks curiously.

“He wants her too. Of course, he does. Everyone would want her. She is simply … incredible.” He has the far-off look in his eyes again.

“Nothing but the best for my son.”

Maxwell sighs. “And he is ruining all my plans at getting her.”

“What were you going to do?”

“I need to go to Zanstown to find her. With Sean taking the job I needed as my excuse, I will never get father to allow me to go.” Maxwell leans his head on her shoulder again.

“Do not worry about your father. I will handle him. You just try to find a way to win her over,” Diane says, smiling at Maxwell.

Maxwell pulls her into his arms. “Thank you, mother.”

She hugs him back. “Just as long as you are happy.”

“I am. Or, at least, I will be.” He smiles at her.

They hear a door slam from upstairs. “What was that?” Maxwell asks, turning towards the noise.

“I have not a clue. I saw Alexander upstairs in your room earlier. He says he was looking for something,” Diane says, glancing up the stairs.

“I am going to go … and … congratulate Michael on his engagement.” Maxwell says, heading for the stairs.

Diane looks at him with such pride in her eyes. Her boys are all growing up.

Maxwell stops halfway up the stairs, comes back down, gives her another quick hug, and leaves. What is Alexander up to?

--------------

Alexander rummages through Maxwell’s drawers. Maxwell may be too noble to read the girl’s private thoughts, but Alexander certainly is not. And if it helps his brother in his quest, Alexander will do anything.

Now, where would Maxwell hide it? It is not under the bed, in the closet, or in his drawers. It is not in his chest, his desk, or his hamper.

Alexander scans over Maxwell’s room once more, trying to find Elizabeth’s satchel. Aha! There it is. Alexander dashes to the bed and pulls it out from under Maxwell’s pillow.

He empties the contents onto the bed and picks up the book. “Now let us see who Elizabeth Parker is,” he says as he lies down on the bed and flips over the first few pages.

“Alexander…”

He stashes the book under the pillow and jumps up, looking towards the door. He prepares to explain himself but relaxes when he realizes it is Michael. “Michael! What are you trying to do, give me a heart attack?”

“What are you doing in Maxwell’s room?” he asks, walking towards Alexander.

“Oh, nothing. Just … finding out who mystery girl is. That is all.”

“And how, pray tell, are you planning on doing that?” Michael asks, suddenly curious as to what Alexander is doing.

“With this,” Alexander says, lying back down on the bed and pulling the book back out from under Maxwell’s pillow. It has an unusual scent of flowers.

“What is that?”

“It is her diary,” Alexander says, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Oh, really?” Michael asks, shocked as to what Alexander is doing with it, but more curious as to finding out what was inside. “Start reading,” he orders Alexander as he sits down beside him on the bed.

“Shut the door first. I do not want Maxwell to be able to hear from downstairs.”

Michael stands with a huff and kicks the door shut. He walks back over towards Alexander.

Alexander is flipping through the pages. “Listen to this …

… Although Kyle does not agree with it, I went into the next town to try and find answers. If there is anything I have wanted more than life itself, it is this. My family. I know. Kyle is my family now. He watches out for me and cares for me. But, I want to find out where I came from…”

“What are you two doing?” Maxwell asks from the doorway of his room. Michael jumps up and Alexander hides the book behind his back.

Maxwell walks purposely towards the two. Both Alexander and Michael are scared. No one ever messes with Maxwell.

Michael begins inching towards the door. “I was just … leaving.” He runs out of the room and out of the house, as well. He did not want to be around to find out what Maxwell is going to do to Alexander. It will not be too violent. Maxwell will simply torture Alexander a little.

Alexander gulps. The way Maxwell is staring at him, he knew he is in for it. “I … I was just … leaving too.” Alexander makes a mad dash for the door but Maxwell grabs him by the shoulders and keeps him rooted to the floor.

“What is behind your back, Alexander?” Maxwell asks in a playful tone. He likes watching Alexander squirm.

“N-n-nothing,” Alexander stutters out, gripping the book tightly.

“Oh, really? You would not mind showing me your hands then, would you?”

Alexander pulls both hands out from behind his back. “See? Nothing.” He smiles nervously.

Maxwell quickly spins him around. He cannot help but chuckle at his little brother’s attempt. There, in the middle of Alexander’s back, is a very obvious rectangular bulge from underneath his shirt. Maxwell lifts up Alexander’s shirt and grabs the diary.

Alexander hangs his head low in shame. “I am sorry, Maxwell. It is just that I …”

“… Want to help me,” Maxwell finishes for him. Alexander nods his head. Maxwell sighs. His mood softens. “Alright, Alexander. I would have done the same for you. But just try to understand. I do not want you to go through her thoughts. Lord knows I am tempted, as well, to read through this,” he says, waving the book around, “but I cannot. My conscience will not allow me to do so because it is wrong to be reading her thoughts without her permission.”

Alexander nods his head in agreement. “I know, Maxwell. It will not happen again,” he promises.

“You are right it will not. Now out of my room,” Maxwell says, ruffling Alexander’s hair.

Alexander heads for the door. “Oh, and Maxwell? I hope you find her,” Alexander says to his brother with a small smile.

Maxwell sighs. “You and me both.”

--------------

Michael makes his way down the busy street. It is getting dark and people are hurrying to run last minute errands before heading off to their homes. Michael takes in his surroundings. The Kingdom City is a largely filled with markets and people. There is always some type of excitement running around. One never grows bored. Michael loves it here, but it is just a little noisy for him at times.

He always dreams of living in a nice little town, where he can start a family and not have to worry about the dangers found in a dark and crowded city at night. He smiles thinking about all that has happened today. Perhaps Maria will like a quiet little town as well.

Michael is suddenly pulled out of his thoughts when someone yanks him into an alleyway. He faces his attacker; ready to fight back, until he notices it is none other than his golden haired fiancé.

“Maria? What are you doing out? I thought you were home with your father,” he says, looking down at her.

“Incorrect,” she says. “Rosemary is at home in bed, resting early. Apparently, she was exhausted from all of the excitement of the day.”

She takes a step closer to him with a seductive smile on her face. “Maria, on the other hand, is very much energized and willing to play.” She beigns toying with the hair on the back of his neck.

Michael looks at her with a stern expression on his face. “Maria, you should listen to your father. He is in the right in trying to protect you. It is not safe out here on your own. Who knows what could happen to you out here at night.”

Maria pouts her lips. “Very well, my dear fiancé, I will run on home now. But that means I cannot do this,” she says as she pushes him against the building and attacks his lips with hers. He runs his fingers through her hair with one hand and pulls her closer to him with the other. He starts rubbing his hand all the way up her side and down again to her hip, liking the feel of her body, until she abruptly breaks the kiss, winks an eye at him and scampers off.

Michael takes a minute to gain his composure. He is about to follow her to make certain she arrives home safely, but someone blocks his way. It is too dark to see the person’s face from where he stands. But he can tell it is a woman from her shadowy figure. The shadow moves closer toward him and he instantly knows who it is.

“Hello, Michael,” the voice calls out to him sweetly. A voice he has not heard in a long while.

“Courtney,” Michael whispers out softly, hardly believing his eyes.

Courtney takes another step towards him, stepping fully into the light of the moon. “It has been a long time.”

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Eight:

Maria makes her way down the street. It is very sweet for Michael to worry over her, but he and her father need to accept the fact that she can take care of herself. She has been sneaking out and walking about on these same streets since she was twelve.

It would be very dangerous if she is not familiar with the city, but she is. She knows her way around. She knows which streets to walk on and which alleys to avoid.

It did not matter either way. Everyone knows not to mess with her. They are possibly even more scared of her now that she and Michael are engaged. She smiles at the thought. She is Michael’s. And Michael is hers. Yes, she has him wrapped around her finger. And no one will ever take him away from her.

Maria is nearly a block away from her home when she hears noises coming from an alley. She hears vulgar cursing and what sounded like a scream. Someone is in trouble! Maria runs into the alley, nit then hesitates. It is one of the alleys she is to avoid, especially at night. She hears another high-pitched scream followed by a painful yelp. She dashes in without a second thought.

If it were Maria in this situation, Michael will have come in to rescue her by now, but Maria highly doubts this girl happens to have her very own knight in shining armor to save the day.

When Maria reaches the muffled cries, the scene makes her pale. There, in front of her, is one of Sean’s goons, ripping at the clothes of a very scared and helpless girl. Maria’s anger boils. She hates to see helpless girls getting harassed by big ugly tyrants like this goon.

“Hey, idiot. Leave her alone,” Maria yells out, trying to get the goon’s attention.

“Looks like someone else wants in on the action,” the goon speaks out while turning around.

Maria sees a shiver pass through him when he sees it is she. She smiles inwardly. “Touch me and I will not stop Michael this time when he hunts you down and beats the hell out of you,” Maria threatens.

The goon knows not to take Maria’s threat lightly. After what happened the other day, if he so much as looks at Maria, Michael will pound his face in. He looks from Maria to the girl on the ground and runs away down the alley.

Maria looks at his retreating figure, making certain he disappears before she sighs in relief. Her heart is beating away. She is lucky the goon left. There is a good chance that he could have made it to where she would not be alive to be able to tell Michael.

Maria is so preoccupied with calming her nerves that she forgets all about the girl. She suddenly remembers when she hears a soft whimper come from her as the girl tries to stand.

“Are you alright?” Maria asks as she stoops down to help the girl to her feet. Maria grasps her arm to help her up, but the girl’s face contorts in pain and she pulls her arm away.

Only then does Maria notice the sore bruise on her arm. Maria gasps at the sight of it. It is already becoming purple. “I am sorry. I did not intend to further harm you,” Maria gushes out, feeling the girl’s pain.

“I am fine,” she says in a soft voice as she painfully stands. She looks Maria in the eyes. “Thank you for saving me. I was so scared.” Tears pour down her face once again.

Maria does not hesitate to gather the stranger into her arms and try to brush away her fears. The girl is so small and vulnerable, though she probably was not much younger than Maria herself. “Shh … it is alright. Nothing is going to happen. I will not let him hurt you.”

The girl feels comforted by Maria and feels soothed by Maria’s gentle spirit. “I was … I was walking and … and … and then he just … he grabbed me and I … I screamed but he … he just … he would not let go …” she breaks down again and Maria continues to comfort her. When the girl calms, Maria wipes away the rest of her tears, dusts off her clothes, and brushes her fingers through her long brown hair in an attempt to try to make her look presentable. It is not hard to do. The girl is beautiful. She has adorable doe brown eyes and precious rosy cheeks.

“I am Rosemary Valenti,” Maria says, extending her hand out for the girl to take. “Everyone calls me Maria. Call me Rosemary and you die,” Maria says playfully.

Maria is rewarded with a soft chuckle and a warm smile. “My name is Elizabeth.”

Maria smiles. “Alright, Elizabeth. Let us go get a cup of tea and you can tell me all about you. My treat.”

Elizabeth relents and follows Maria out of the alley.

“So, what brings you to the Kingdom City?”

Elizabeth laughs. “Is it that obvious that I am not from this area?”

“Honestly, yes. You are much too sweet and innocent. You are not tough like us city girls,” Maria says, flexing her arm muscles.

Elizabeth laughs. She likes Maria. Elizabeth can sense that she has a generous and caring soul. “Actually, I am looking for someone.”

Maria and Elizabeth walk down the street side by side. The way they laugh and smile and how comfortable they are with one another, you will have thought they have known each other all their lives, not just a few minutes.

--------------

Jim knocks softly on Isabella’s door before he opens it. Isabella sits at her vanity in her long nightgown. She brushes her long blonde hair, preparing for bed. She looks more like her mother each day, Jim thinks with a smile on his face and steps into the room.

“I just want to say good night before I turn in for the night, sweetheart,” Jim says, walking over and giving her a kiss on the forehead before sitting down on her bed. No matter how grown up she becomes, she will always be his little girl.

“So, how are things with Alexander?” Jim asks, looking at his daughter’s reflection through the mirror.

“Things are well.”

“Did you correct the misunderstanding between you and Maria?”

“Yes,” Isabella says, embarrassment entering her cheeks. “I cannot believe that I thought Maria was with Alexander. She is even older than he is.”

“It is alright. So long as you are no longer upset.”

Isabella sits down on the bed beside her father. “I am surprised Alexander was not angry with me. I embarrassed him a great deal,” Isabella says, giggling. “Practically the entire town saw him in his bedclothes.”

Jim chuckles. He has heard about the little incident from the guards. “Next time, just do not jump to conclusions so soon.”

“Believe me. I have learned my lesson,” Isabella says with a smile. “Alexander will, and I quote, jump off bridges, juggle knifes, and walk through fire before he ever tries to hurt me.” Isabella giggles, remembering his words from that afternoon.

“Walk through fire? That serious already?” Jim lets out a deep sigh. “I do not know if I can give away both of my daughters so quickly.”

“You have nothing to worry about, father,” Isabella says, smiling at him. “It’s not serious. I do care for him … but I am not certain if I want to spend the rest of my life with him.”

“He is a fine young man, Isabella. A bit scrawny, but he will take good care of you,” Jim says, patting Isabella on the head.

Isabella chuckles. Alexander is a bit skinny, but he has a big heart to make up for it. “Thank you, father,” Isabella says, hugging her father.

“Sweet dreams, sweetheart. I am going to your sister’s room to wish her good night,” he says, standing up from the bed.

“No!” Isabella practically yells, tugging on James’s arm. “It is just that … y-you know how cranky she is when you wake her. She will be upset all day long tomorrow.”

“I know,” Valenti says with a chuckle. “It is just that she will not be my little girl much longer. I want to enjoy what little time I have left with her.” James leaves the room, shutting the door behind him.

Isabella prays to god that Maria is already home in bed. Lord knows what her father will do if he finds his daughter sneaking out of the house.

--------------

Maxwell is lying on his bed with the contents of her bag emptied beside him. To read the journal or to not read the journal. He is tempted. He traces his fingers over the gold lettering. Perhaps he can peek. It will not hurt, right? He has already read a portion of it anyway, right?

Maxwell gives in to the enticement and picks up the book. He opens it up but then hears a knock on his door. Maxwell shoves the book under his pillow.

“Come in,” he calls out.

His father opens the door, steps in and closes it behind him. He pulls a chair up next to Maxwell’s bed and takes a seat. “Your mother told me you had something you wish to discuss with me.”

Maxwell sits up, prepared to grovel on his knees and plead with his father. “How much did mother tell you?”

“Enough,” his father says, his face unreadable.

Maxwell fears the worst. If his father knows he his primary intention is to chase after a girl, he will never allow Maxwell the opportunity to go off to find her. No matter, Maxwell has to at least try to plead his case.

“Father, I…”

“Maxwell, let me say something first,” his father interrupts. “I would like to say that I am very proud of you, son. Your desire to jump into the responsibility is enough to make me want to hand the entire company over to you.”

Maxwell’s eyes brighten. He should have known better than to doubt his mother. She will never say anything to make his father feel disappointment in him in any way. He will have to thank her later.

Philip sees the happiness on his son’s face. He did not want to be the one to squelch the bright gleam in his eyes. Philip sighs, places a hand on his son’s shoulder and looks him in the eye. “But …”

Maxwell’s hope dwindles. Why is there always a ‘but’?

“… you need more than just ambition to succeed. I need to know if I give you this opportunity, you will not toss it aside when the next exciting thing comes along. I need to know you will dedicate and apply yourself to this responsibility. This job is not just any job. It is a privilege. And I need you to see it that way. Many people want this opportunity and not just anyone can have it.”

Maxwell hangs his head even lower. He does not have a chance.

“I am not saying ‘no’, Maxwell, but it is not a ‘yes’ either. It is a ‘maybe’. You will have to show me that you deserve this, Maxwell. I will consider you for the position, just like I will consider everyone else. There will not be any preference simply because you are my son,” Philip adds with a wink.

Maxwell looks up at his father with a smile on his face. All he has to do is show his father he is ready for the responsibility. He can do that. No problem.

Philip sees the glimmer of hope return to his son’s eyes. Philip smiles. He knows Maxwell will prove he is more than prepared to take on the responsibility. His son truly is maturing.

Maxwell suddenly remembers a possible opponent that might stand in the way of his dream. “Father? You are not considering giving the job to Sean, are you?”

His father smiles at him. “Maxwell, did I not just tell you that I need someone responsible for the job?” Philip chuckles at the thought of Maxwell worrying over competing with Sean. When Maxwell is determined, Sean will not stand a chance against him. No one will stand a chance against a determined Maxwell.

Maxwell smiles. Things are looking bright. If it continues the way he plans, Maxwell will be with Elizabeth before she is aware of his intentions.

Philip sees Maxwell staring off with a far-off look in his eyes and decides it is his signal to leave. “Good night, Maxwell,” he says as he heads for the door.

“Good night, father. And thank you.”

“Anytime,” his father calls back while closing the door behind him.

Maxwell walks over to the window and looks up at the stars. They seem to shine more brightly tonight, giving him faith that everything will work out.

He grabs her journal and holds it close to his heart. “Elizabeth Parker, where are you my love?”

As if by magic, the sweet sound of her laughter fills his ears. He thinks it might be his imagination, but when he gazes down at the empty street below, there she is, in all her beauty. She has a sweet smile on her face and is practically glowing. Like an angel.

He races down the stairs, still clutching the journal tightly in his hand. He could not believe his luck.

But when he makes it outside, she is gone. He runs up and down the street, checking every turn and alley, but she is nowhere to be seen. She simply vanishes into thin air. Like an angel.

Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Chapter Nine:

Maria and Elizabeth laugh as they sit at the table, sipping their tea.

“So, Elizabeth. Tell me about yourself.”

Elizabeth smiles and warms her hands around her hot cup of tea. “There really is not anything to tell.”

“Oh, come now. I am sure there is.”

A sad look comes on Elizabeth’s face and she shakes her head. “No, there really is not.”

Maria sees the depressing mood that settles over Elizabeth and decides to aim the attention toward herself instead.

“Well, I am the daughter of the Kingdom City’s Governor. I have one sister, two years younger than I, named Isabella. My mother died when I was young. I am eighteen. I have blond hair and green eyes. And I am madly in love with Michael Guerin. He is my fiancé.” Maria smiles at the last part. She enjoys saying that. She enjoys being able to claim that Michael is hers.

“Congratulations,” Elizabeth says enthusiastically.

“Thank you. It has only been a day but I love it, to be meant for someone,” Maria says with such emotion.

“Maria, can I ask you something?” Elizabeth asks, staring down at her cup of tea. “What does it feel like … to be in love?”

Maria answers honestly. “It is the most comforting, warm, and just … the most incredible feeling ever.”

Elizabeth envies Maria. She longs to feel what Maria is feeling right now, to need someone as though they are the air you breathe, and then to have the feeling reciprocated. But Elizabeth will never be able to feel that way. She has already promised her life to another.

Elizabeth lets out a longing sigh. “It is late and I should be heading off.”

Maria leaves a few gold pieces on the table and they head out the door. “Why do you not stay with me?”

Elizabeth giggles. She enjoys spending time with Maria but she has to decline. “I would love to but I really do not want Kyle worrying over me. Knowing him, he will be waiting until I get back. I should hurry home as soon as possible.”

“Who is Kyle?” Maria asks, curious to know.

“I really should be heading off,” Elizabeth says, going to untie her horse from where she left her earlier this afternoon. She did not have to worry about anyone stealing her. Other than that one incident the other day, Fate never allows anyone ride her, not even Kyle.

“Elizabeth, your journey will take you all night and you are still injured,” Maria says, using a stern voice.

“It is all right,” Elizabeth says, trying to reassure Maria. “I heal very quickly. I need to get back to Kyle. He will not sleep without knowing I am safe.”

“We would not want to upset ‘Kyle’ now, would we?” Maria says mockingly. Elizabeth is one stubborn girl, even more stubborn than Maxwell. “It is a pity though. I know a gentleman who would be simply perfect for you. You need someone to look out for you. And he loves playing hero. He is Michael’s close friend. If you are interested, I could introduce you,” Maria says with a wink.

Elizabeth shakes her head timidly. “I am truly not interested. I cannot be interested.”

Drat, Maria thinks. Maxwell and Elizabeth will make such a nice couple. She can picture the two of them dancing together at her engagement ball. Oh, that reminds her.

“Elizabeth, before you go, I am having a ball to enounce my engagement and I would love for you to attend.”

Elizabeth is excited. She has never been to a ball. But she was not normally around so many people at once before. “I would like to but ...”

“Great. Come by my home,” Maria says, pointing towards her estate at the end of the street. “Come in the morning. Thirteen days from tomorrow morning. Just come by and I will help you with everything … dress, shoes, hair, makeup … everything.” Something tells Maria this girl lives a humble and modest life. Elizabeth probably does not own an evening gown suitable for this occasion. She seems too pure and modest. No makeup on her face at all. No curls either; just straight, flowing, soft, brown hair. It is all natural beauty.

“Alright,” Elizabeth agrees, giving Maria a quick hug before mounting her horse and leaving down the street.

Maria makes her way towards her house after they bid their adieus and go their separate ways. She pauses for a second. She has a sudden urge to be home, in her room at this very second. Call it intuition, if you will.

She runs as fast as she can down the street to her estate. She squeezes between the two poles at a large enough gap in the fence, climbs her tree, and slips into her room.

As soon as she steps inside, she hears footsteps down the hall. She kicks off her shoes and hurries under the covers of her bed.

There is a soft knock on her door before it slowly creaks open. Light enters through from the hallway and she can see her father peek his head in. When he sees that she is awake, he opens the door the rest of the way and steps inside.

“Hello, honey,” he whispers, walking up to her bed. He sits down softly beside her. “I am sorry if I woke you. I wanted to come in and say goodnight.”

“Okay. Goodnight,” Maria says, hoping he would not notice her nervous fidgeting.

He stands to leave, but then looks back down at her. “Are you feeling alright, Maria?”

“Of course,” Maria says, a little too high-pitched. “Wh-why would I not be.”

“You are sweating, dear. Perhaps you are running a fever.”

“I am fine, father. Nothing a little more rest will not cure.”

“Alright,” James says and heads out the door, but before he leaves he adds, “Maria, you really should change out of your clothes soon.” And softly shuts the door behind him.

--------------

Maxwell stands on the street in front of his house. Where can his mysterious beauty have vanished to? He is about to begin doubting her existence at all. Someone this captivating can only have been dreamt up. But then he remembers something. Still gripped tightly in his hand, is her journal.

Maybe he should take a peek in it and see what power she holds over him that keeps him standing outside in the dark and cold street with nothing on but his pajama pants. He sits down on the ground with a huff. He has no idea, on earth, what possesses him to sit in the middle of the street, shirtless, on a chilly night.

Maxwell shakes his head. He is utterly hopeless. He will do anything to find this girl. He flips open the book to a random page. It was the most recent entry. He reads …

… I was closer today. Or, at least, I thought I was. I do not understand. Sometimes, I wonder why I do not simply lose hope. Amy Parker does not exist anymore. Every town I have been to and everywhere I have tried, not one person has ever even recognized the name, except for today. Today in the Kingdom City, I asked an old woman if she knew of an Amy Parker. The lady smiled fondly, recognizing her name. The problem is that, after she admitted to having known her, the woman became suddenly frightened and changed her mind. I suppose some reaction was better than no reaction, which is the usual response …

Maxwell is so focused on her words, he does not hear a horse trotting down the road. Thus, results in him almost being trampled on.

“I apologize,” she says as she swerves Fate to stop from stomping on the man. “I did not see you there.” She stops to make sure the person is not harmed.

“It is quite all right,” he says, dusting himself off as he stands. “It is my fault. What sort of an idiot would be sitting in the middle of the road at night? I was so engrossed in my reading that I did not see you coming,” he says finally, looking toward her for the first time.

It is she. His Elizabeth. He stares at her. She seems to be moving in slow motion as she gracefully dismounts her horse and began turning towards him.

“I was not looking and …” she stops, shocked to find the identity of her wounded victim. “Oh. It is you.”

“It is a pleasure to see you again, Elizabeth,” he says, giving her one of his brilliant smiles. “Oh, and you also, Fate.” He walks up to the chestnut colored mare and begins stroking its mane. “You missed me, did you not?” Fate snorts and nuzzles Maxwell.

Elizabeth is astounded. Fate is never this friendly to anyone other than herself. What makes this person so extraordinary? But if her Fate likes him, Elizabeth must, at the very least, give him a chance. “I apologize if I came off a little harsh. It simply stunned me to see you. I never thought I would see you again.”

Maxwell smiles at her. She begins to warm up to him. It is time for him to heighten his charm. “Are you happy you did?”

“Perhaps not.” Elizabeth rolls her eyes at him.

“Are you still angry with me?” Maxwell asks with genuine emotion in his eyes.

Elizabeth sees the timid look on his face. She relents. “No, I am not. I forgive you.” They stare at each other. His eyes look so familiar, so comforting. She breaks out of her daze when Fate begins to get restless.

“I really should get going,” Elizabeth says with a sigh. She is somewhat saddened to have to leave so soon. She mounts her horse to depart.

“But, wait. We have not even begun to talk,” Maxwell pleads with her. “Come have a cup of tea with me and we can become more acquainted with one another.”

“I would love to, but Kyle is waiting for me.”

“Who is Kyle, by the way?” Maxwell knows jealous is a silly emotion to feel. She is not even his … yet.

“Oh, Kyle is just … is that my journal?” she asks recognizing the book in his hand.

Maxwell looks at the book. “Oh … yea … yes, it is … I was just … just trying … to give it back to you,” he says, handing it to her.

“You were reading my journal?” she asks in disbelief, staring down at him. “I cannot believe you would do such a thing.”

Maxwell feared this would happen. This is exactly why he told Alexander not to read it in the first place. He chances a glance at her. There is so much anger in her face. He has to correct this. He cannot let her walk out of his life again, appalled at him. This will make for two bad encounters and one semi-good one. The incident at the pond might have been bad as well if he had not gotten the chance to hold her. She felt and smelled so good.

Maxwell shakes his head to try and clear his thoughts. She is already halfway down the street.

“Elizabeth,” he calls out to her. When she turns, he drops down on his knees and pleads. “Please forgive me. I know I had no right and I will never intrude on you again. I assure you that it only happened once. Alright, twice, but the first time was not intentional. Please, do not be angry with me.”

Elizabeth looks at him. What a strange, strange person. Adorable, but strange nonetheless. She shakes her head, feeling her resolve crumble. “I am not one to hold a grudge.” A shy smile enters her face. “Until we meet again.” With that, she trots off.

Maxwell smiles confidently. “I will make sure of it, my sweet.”

--------------

He walked up to her when he finally saw her sitting under a tree. He had been searching everywhere, trying to find her. He sat next to her but she turned away from him.

“I know you are semi-angry with me still. I know, I was wrong to go spying on you like that. It is just … I love you. I do not wish to lose you.”

She turned to him. “You love me? I … I feel the same way for you,” she said timidly. He pulled her into his arms and held her tight.

“I want to make it up to you.”

She broke away from the embrace, her fingers grazed his cheek. “I forgive you. You do not have to.”

“But I want to. My brother is having an engagement ball soon. I want you to come with me. It is going to be a large event. Even the crowned prince will be there,” he said excitedly.

“I know. I have heard of it. But I do not know if I should go. I would not know how to behave.”

“Be yourself. Everyone will love you,” he pleaded.

She bit her lip, trying to make her decision.

“Please?” he coaxed, running his fingers through her soft silky brown hair.

“Alright,” she said softly. How could she refuse him? He was adorable.

When he picked her up the day of the ball, he was amazed at the beauty standing before him.

She noticed his intense gaze and felt unsure of herself. “Truthfully, how do I look?”

“Too perfect. My angel. You look absolutely perfect,” he said with such emotion.

When they entered the ballroom, the room went silent. Heads turned and everyone stared at her. She was absolutely breath taking. He walked her over to their table and pulled out her seat for her before he took his own seat.

He took her hand into his. He had everything planned. Tonight was the night. Tonight was the night that he would propose to her. She was too perfect.

After dinner was over and everyone congratulated his brother on the engagement, he took her out into the garden. He was ready. He had practiced in front of his mirror so many times before and knew everything he wanted to say by heart.

“This is simply incredible. I have not had such fun in my life,” she said, twirling around outside. “Dance with me?”

“Of course.” They danced together, their bodies close. When the song came to an end, he was about to get down on his knee, but his father came in and interrupted him.

“Son, come here for a moment. Some businessmen would like to speak with you.”

“But, father, I was in the middle of something,” he said, fuming for being interrupted.

“Oh, she can wait,” his father said with a wink.

He sighed and pleaded to her with his eyes. “I will be back as soon as I can. Sit here and wait for me?”

“Always,” she said with a smile.

He went off to talk to his father’s acquaintances. It was just the usual mingling. He did not see why it could not have waited. They wanted to know what his plans were after he took over for his father, when he was going to settle down and have a family, and they were also curious about the doe-eyed angel that accompanied him here tonight and if she was as good as she looked. Those perverted old bastards.

He excused himself when it was appropriate and went hurriedly back to join her in the garden. He was confused when he saw two men standing guard at the door.

“Excuse me,” he said as he tried to squeeze past them.

“I am sorry, but his highness directly informed us not to allow anyone to disturb him,” one of the men informed him.

“His highness?” he asked in confusion. When he looked outside through the window, there they were, the crowned prince and his angel, dancing away, their bodies close. He felt his jealousy and rage boil.

He tried to calm himself down. If the prince asked her to dance, she couldn’t refuse. It would be disrespectful. He had nothing to be afraid of. That was, until he saw the look in her eyes. It was the same look she used to give him. He saw her lean forward, lifting herself up on her toes, and kiss the prince. She kissed him. How could she? How could she do this to him?

He stalked off in anger. Tonight was supposed to be their night, but she was kissing someone else. And not just anyone else, at that, she was kissing the crowned prince. He stormed out of the estate in a hurry. He sat down on a bench outside, his head in his hands.

He saw a vision of a blurred blonde haired, blue-eyed girl sit next to him.

“Are you okay?” she asks.

His anguish evident on his face. “No.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

He shook his head. “No.”

“Do you want me to leave?”

He looked into her eyes and saw comfort in them, stability and loyalty. “No.”

She pulled him into her arms to help ease his heartache. “Everything will be alright, James.”

James jumps out of bed. Sweat covers his body. His heart pounds and his breathing is erratic.

He hears footsteps coming from down the hall followed by the creak of his door opening.

“Father, is everything alright?”

“I am fine, sweetheart. Go on to bed, Isabella.”

She steps in closer. “You had that nightmare again, did you not?”

“Yes. But I am fine now, darling. Go on to bed.”

Isabel walks over and hugs her father. She kisses him on the cheek and then heads off to her room.