Affairs of the Heart (AU,M/L,ADULT) Ch 12 - AN 09/26 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Affairs of the Heart (AU,M/L,ADULT) Ch 12 - AN 09/26 [WIP]

Post by Applebylicious »

Title: Affairs of the Heart
Author: Lindsay
Category: AU M/L and other CC
Rating: ADULT
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to The WB, Melinda Metz, and UPN.
Summary: Liz Parker is a brassy young stripper in New Orleans. Max Evans is a smart law school student too focused on his studies to enjoy his young life. Until he meets the beautiful Miss Parker and learns a thing or two about love.
Author’s note: Okay, Not So Little is finished and I'm bringing up the next fic in my loooong list. :wink: I hope you guys enjoy! Um... after this is Forbidden Desires and then If I Was Your Girl. Any other requests, me dears?

<center>banner by Jen</center>

<center>Part One</center>

As he thoughtfully observed the raucous environment around him, Max Evans wondered for the hundredth time just how he had let himself be talked into this.

This, of course, being a rowdy night out with the guys.

In celebration of his twenty-third year of life, his best friend Michael Guerin had decided it was time to shake Max out of his normal routine of studying and experience the youthful vitality New Orleans had to offer.

He had been sitting at his desk, dutifully scanning his notes on municipal court and juvenile law when Michael had burst into his expensive apartment.

“Maxwell, put the books away, because tonight we’re hitting Bourbon Street and I won’t take no for an answer!” he chortled, walking over to his friend.

“No,” Max muttered, turning the page in his text and jotting down important information.

“Dude, it’s your birthday!” Michael exclaimed, giving Max an incredulous look. “All you do anymore is study! Come on, my treat! Let’s go have a couple of drinks.”

Max sighed, propping his head on his palm as he blinked at the boatloads of information in front of him. “Mike, I HAVE to study. I have the bar coming up soon, remember? I need to pass it if I’m ever gonna get out of school.”

“No, what you NEED is to get laid,” Michael smirked.

“Michael, we’ve been through this before, I don’t have-“

Michael held his hand up, interrupting his friend. “I know, I know. You don’t have time to get into a relationship. You have to keep your focus… blah, blah, blah! Look, Max, I’m not talking about getting married or anything. I’m just trying to get someone to play with your dick!”

Max rolled his eyes and decided to ignore that comment. Unfortunately, Michael continued talking.

“You, my friend, are in desperate need of some female attention. And I know just the place… they don’t call New Orleans The Big Easy for nothing, ya know!”

With those words, he stepped forward, gray eyes gleaming. “Now, Maxwell… don’t make me use these on you, man! It’ll be a lot easier if you just come willingly.”

Max looked up and saw his friend dangling a pair of police issue handcuffs in front of his face.

Michael was a rookie officer on the New Orleans PD TACK team. The adrenaline-pumping career was the perfect compliment to his already fast-paced lifestyle.

He had come to New Orleans looking for adventure and so far seemed to find it in spades.

Whereas Max enjoyed the historical sights and cultural aspect of the city, Michael preferred the bare-breasts and colored beads of Mardi Gras.

Realizing he had no choice, Max conceded defeat and reluctantly closed his book. “Fine, whatever! I’d rather back down now than find out what other twisted ways you have thought of to get me to go with you.”

Michael grinned. “Smart move, Maxwell. And they say rich kids have no brains.”

It was true.

Max’s father, Phillip Evans, was a well-known honest-to-God oil tycoon down in Roswell, New Mexico.

Growing up only known as Phillip’s Boy had put a damper on Max’s burgeoning education.

Everyone assumed he got his good grades because his daddy was rich or because his daddy paid of the teachers. No one believed he had actually studied his ass off to get his scholarship to Tulane University.

His parents were shocked that he would choose Tulane over the offers from Harvard and Duke, but Max loved the south.

Not to mention his appetite for Creole food.

So he'd ignored the ranting of his disapproving family and admitted to Tulane University of Law.

On his arrival in New Orleans, he had met Michael, who was fresh out of the police academy.

Being a native of the Pelican State, Michael had quickly taken Max under his wing and taught him the ropes of Cajun Country.

A sudden lurch jerked Max out of his thoughts, and he realized that his taxi had come to a stop.

He got out the cab and found himself on Bourbon Street, standing in front of what looked like a nineteenth-century Creole townhouse.

Of course, more careful observance would lead to the realization that it wasn’t just any old house.

A brightly-lit sign decorated the front, the words Maiden Voyage winking at him. The silhouette of a nude woman wrapped around a pole gave the finishing touch.

God, what had he let Michael talk him into?

“That’ll be five bucks,” the cabby announced. Giving Max a toothy grin, he wiggled his eyebrows. “That place has given me some very fond memories, if you know what I mean! Best club in the Quarter!”

Max smiled politely and dug ten bucks out of his pocket. “Um… keep the change,” he handed the bill to the cabby and waited for him to drive off before turning back to the building.

Giving a deep sigh and wondering how long before he could make his escape, he pushed open the doors.

As he entered the smoky, sweet-smelling club, he was met with the sight of scantily clad women dancing provocatively to a sexy Latin beat.

Several women eyed him appreciatively as his eyes searched the crowded room.

Finally spotting Alex Whitman, Kyle Valenti, and Jesse Ramirez sitting at a table in front of the main stage, Max made his way over.

“Max! Glad to see Michael didn’t have to tar-n-feather your ass to get ya down here,” Kyle grinned, pulling a chair out for his friend.

“Nope, just threatened me with bondage,” Max replied, slapping Alex on the back as he took his seat. “So where is Guerin? He better be here or I’m kicking his ass from here to Baton Rouge.”

“He’s over at the bar trying to pick up the bartender,” Jesse explained, nodding his head in Michael’s direction.

The friends all groaned good-naturedly at Michael’s playboy ways.

“One day that kid’s gonna catch something,” Max muttered, watching as his friend wrote something down on a napkin and passed it to the smiling blonde behind the counter.

As he made his way to the table, Max scooted over to make room. “Well, fellas! I’ve already made my plans for later this evening,” Michael wiggled his eyebrows lasciviously.

“Hmm… what line did you feed her this time, Mike? Let me guess…” Max ran his hands through his short raven locks, mimicking Michael’s voice. “Excuse me miss, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to place you under arrest.”

“But what for officer?” Kyle bantered back with a breathy sigh, fluttering his eyelashes in a womanly fashion.

“Well, it’s clear that you’ve stolen my heart. But if you’d accompany me to my place later on tonight, I might consider letting you go on good behavior,” Max finished, wiggling his brows suggestively.

The group cracked up as Michael folded his arms across his chest. “Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, Maxwell. Don’t worry… I have special plans for you this evening.”

Max raised an eyebrow challengingly. “And those plans would be...?”

Michael grinned and shook his head. “All in good time, my friend. But for now… let’s get this boy shit-faced!”

A chorus of hell yeah sounded around the table and Michael held his hand up, signaling a nearby waitress.

She sauntered over, smiling sexily at Max. “What can I get you boys?”

“Well, I’ll have an Absolut Royal Fuck - minus the pineapple juice,” Michael drawled in his charming southern accent. “Boys?”

“I think I could go for a Horny Bull,” Alex shrugged.

“I second that one,” Kyle laughed.

“Make mine a Raging Hard-On,” Jesse replied, winking flirtatiously at the buxom blonde.

“And for you, sugar?” she asked, directing her comment to Max.

“Are those actual drinks?” Max asked in disbelief. “Whatever happened to plain old vodka-tonics and shit?”

“Get birthday boy here a Long Island,” Michael smirked. “Oh, and a shot of Crown Royal. That should be enough.”

“You got it,” the waitress winked, giving Max one last hungry look before sashaying away.

“Man, she wanted your ding-dong bad, man,” Alex laughed, watching an oblivious Max.

“What are you talking about?” Max shrugged. “She was just doing her job.”

“Yeah right, sugar,” Kyle winked, putting emphasis on the last word.

“Hey, shut up guys,” Michael interrupted. “I want to say something about my dear old friend, Max, here on his twenty-third birthday.”

The guys groaned again as Michael stood up, clearing his throat.

“Excuse me, everyone, may I have your attention please,” he called to the room.

Everyone turned and locked their eyes on Michael as his friends – minus Max – hooted.

“Michael, sit down, shit!” he hissed in embarrassment.

“It’s my buddy here, Maxwell’s, 23rd birthday!” he continued, placing his hand on Max’s shoulder, while Max covered his face in his hands.

“Hey, baby!” a female voice called from the back. “I’ll help you celebrate!”

Max’s face turned red as catcalls sounded through the room.

“I know he appreciates the offer, Miss. Maybe we’ll get back to ya,” Michael laughed.

Just then, the waitress brought their drinks out and placed them on the table. Michael reached down and picked up his shot glass, holding it in the air.

“In honor of Maxwell, I invite everyone to join me in a toast, and buy my buddy a drink so we can get him completely plastered!”

With that, he downed the drink and a cheer went up, while everyone chugged back his or her own drink.

Michael gave a bow and sat back at the table, ignoring Max’s glare.

“What the hell was that about?” Max demanded.

“That was me helping to get you in the mood. You know what they say, friends don’t let friends watch naked women sober!” Michael joked.

“Yeah, well, I’m not planning on getting trashed so just lay off,” Max muttered.

“Come on, Max! It’s your 23rd birthday! That only comes once in a lifetime,” Alex teased.

“Yeah, live a little tonight, man! Tomorrow you can go back to being Mister Serious Law School Student,” Kyle added, shoving the shot of tequila towards Max.

Max looked at his friends’ expectant faces and sighed. “Fine, give me the damn thing.”

He picked up the glass and gulped it down, feeling the heady alcohol warm his throat. Wiping his mouth, he turned to his friends with a grin.

“Get me another!”

A cheer went up from the table, just as the waitress came back carrying a plate full of tequila shots.

“Compliments of the house,” she explained, setting the tray down and smiling flirtatiously at the guys.

“To Max! May he experience the true perks of New Orleans tonight!” Michael called, picking up a shot.

His friends did the same, followed by Max.

They all downed the shots then wiped their mouths.

“Who’s ready for another?”

<center>************************************</center>

Six shots later, the boys were starting to feel quite a nice little buzz.

They sat watching a lithe, red-haired dancer slide languidly down a shiny brass pole.

Max sipped on his Long Island Iced Tea, making a face as he tried to focus on the dancer’s seductive form.

“Ya know, this doesn’t really taste like tea,” Max slurred slightly, picking his glass up and seriously contemplating the ingredients.

Michael snorted, picking up another shot from the center of the table. “Oh, don’t worry… it’s in there. Drink up,” he snickered.

Max shrugged and took a deep gulp, smacking his lips as he swallowed. “Mmm… pretty good.”

“Is that her real hair or is it a wig?” Alex asked, watching as the woman ran her hands slowly up and down her body.

“I think it’s a wig,” Kyle responded, closing one eye in an attempt to focus. “It’s too red.”

“I like redheads,” Jesse announced suddenly. “I also like brunettes. And blondes.”

“Just hand me a pair of nice, perky tits and I’m good to go,” Michael smirked. He was the least drunk of all of them, having built his tolerance up over the years.

“What about you, Max. Blondes or brunettes?” Alex burped. “Or redheads?”

Max thought for a second, conjuring up his dream girl. “Brunettes. With long, silky hair and big brown eyes.”

“I thought you were more of a blonde, blue-eyed man, myself,” Michael said, watching Max shake his head.

“Yeah, what about Tess?” Kyle snickered.

“Hey, is she still following you around, man?” Alex asked sympathetically.

Max groaned. Tess Harding was a fellow law student who he had made the mistake of agreeing to take out once.

Ever since their date, she had been hounding Max for another, showing up every where he turned.

“Yeah, I’ve tried to let her down gently but she doesn’t seem to get the idea that I’m not interested,” Max replied.

“That’s because she’s a dumb blonde. You gotta stamp it on her forehead or something. Get a tattoo that says, Get Lost She Devil!" Michael trumpeted.

Max frowned. “That’s not very nice. And she’s not dumb. She’s just… well…”

“Annoying as hell?” Jesse added.

Max nodded. “Yeah.”

Just then, their attention was brought back to the stage as the lights in the club dimmed.

Lil Kim's The Jump Off echoed through the building as several girls strutted out on the stage, clad in shiny black leather trench coats and stilettos.

They took their places on the stage, bumping and grinding each other, tantalizingly fingering the clasps on their coats as they performed their sexy moves.

“Whoo-hoo!” Michael hooted, raising his fist in the air as he downed another shot.

Suddenly, another woman strutted on stage, wearing an outfit similar to the others, only her coat was bright red and so were her heels.

Her long chocolate hair was piled messily on top of her head, tendrils cascading around her face.

Her lips were full and red, taking on a pouty characteristic as she pursed them dramatically.

She walked to the center of the stage, the spotlight shining on her exclusively. The other dancers lined up behind her as she stopped and gave the audience a hot look.

The girls began to dance to a routine, mirroring the lead brunette’s moves as she ran her hands down her body lavisciously.

Suddenly, all the girls ripped their coats open at the same time and tossed them to the side.

The men cheered as the coats revealed the costumes underneath.

The other girls were wearing what resembled a one-piece thong bathing suit, with a wide slit down the middle, their ample breasts practically spilling forth.

The brunette, however, was dressed in a skintight red corset, tied together with a flimsy ribbon at the middle. Along with it she wore a crimson thong and matching garters which held her thigh-high stockings up.

“Dayum!” Kyle whistled, taking note of the girl with wide eyes. “That has to be the finest chick I’ve ever seen!”

“Look at those legs,” Michael exclaimed, licking his lips.

Max stared in shock as the perfect image of his dream girl began to grind her body against a curvy blonde.

Her smoky brown eyes caught his and he swallowed as she stepped away from the girls and walked to the edge of the stage, right in front of Max and his friends.

His eyes widened and he barely heard his friends cheering as the girl stopped right in front of him.

She was within touching range. If he only slid his hand out he could run it up her smooth legs…

Three of the other girls had begun doing a sexy pole dance as the brunette danced; her eyes fixed on Max.

She gave him a sultry smile as she bent at the waist, giving him a perfect view of her breasts encased in the tight corset.

Her fingers played with the ribbon clasp, teasingly pulling it apart.

Max unconsciously licked his lips and leaned forward, drawn to her magnetism as she practically seduced him in front of a crowded room.

Suddenly, her smile turned downright wicked as she knelt down and crawled the remaining few inches of the stage on her hands and knees.

Rocking back on her toes, she thrust her pelvis in the air - directly in front of Max’s hot gaze.

She held a perfectly manicured hand out for Max and raised her eyebrows. Max glanced at his friends, who all wore expressions of shock and excitement.

Michael met his eyes and gave him a wide grin, nodding his head.

Max turned back to the woman and placed his large palm in her smaller one.

She slowly slid his hand up her tight stomach, brushing lightly against her breasts as she placed it on the ribbon.

Giving him a nod and sexy smile, she pursed her lips, staring him in the eye.

Max slowly untied the clasp, his breath hissing as more of her was shown to his hungry eyes.

The corset popped open, releasing the most perfectly formed breasts he had ever seen.

She leaned forward and caught his full lower lip between hers and sucked it gently before releasing it with a pop.

The crowd of men hooted and hollered as she raised herself to her feet, straightening her legs and slowly rolling upwards from the waist giving the crowd a view of her thong-covered ass.

Max stared at her in a daze, reaching up with trembling fingers as he touched his lip.

She faced the crowd again and leaned on one hip as she brought her hands to cup underneath her boobs, creating more than enough ample cleavage.

She caught Max’s eye once more and winked, before reaching down to ruffle his raven hair playfully.

The song ended and the other girls hurried off stage as the brunette pulled the clip from her hair, allowing her deep brown hair to spill over her shoulders in a silken waterfall.

A single spotlight illuminated her and a pole, which was positioned slightly off center of the stage.

A slow, seductive beat pounded through the club as she slinked over to the pole, shaking her hair while grasping the pole with her left hand.

Quick as a flash she leapt up, wrapping a long leg around the pole as she slid down, her head held back with abandon.

Max watched enthralled as she proceeded to grind against the pole, rubbing her body as the sexy music matched her thrusting motions.

Max knew he was hard. Painfully so.

Add to that fact that he was half-drunk, well, his mind began to wander.

Instead of riding that pole the way she was, in his mind, she was riding him.

Their bodies writhed together, sweat gleaming on their flushed skin as she rode him to completion.

So involved was he in his little fantasy, that he didn’t even notice the dance end, or the lights come back on.

At least, not until his friends began slapping him on the back proudly.

“You, Max Evans, are one very lucky dude,” Kyle shook his head, reaching over and snatching a remaining hot wing from the center of the table.

“Yeah, that fine piece of woman was totally hitting on you!” Alex mocked frowned. “She didn’t even notice the rest of us men folk here.”

“Get real, Whitman,” Michael smirked, looping an arm around his best friend’s neck. “Max and I are the only men folk here!”

“I… I gotta go to the…” Max jumped up, trying to conceal the tent in his chinos as he turned towards the bathroom.

“Not so fast, Maxwell,” Michael grabbed his hand. “I still gotta give you your birthday gift.”

Max wasn’t sure what to make of the strange glint in his friend’s eye, but he sat down cautiously. “What is it?”

“Come with me and I’ll show you,” Michael replied, standing up and beckoning for Max to follow him towards the back of the club.

Max shot his friends a hesitant glance and they all shrugged their shoulders, as in the dark as he was.

He followed Michael through the bar and into the back, where there were several small rooms.

Michael shoved him inside one and locked the door before Max had the chance to react.

“Michael! What the hell are you doing? Let me out of here!” Max pounded on the door in frustration.

“You can thank me later, Max. For now, try to enjoy yourself,” Michael laughed, then turned back towards the main room.

Max gave the door another good pound, then sighed deeply. What the hell was his friend thinking?

Locking him in a dark room? This was his idea of a gift??

Max turned around and took better inventory of the room he was currently standing in.

It was small and cozy, dimly lit by a lamp that flickered across the room.

There was a large chair in the center of the room that closely resembled a throne. It was extremely wide with a tall arch in the back and was covered with a soft, silk-lined pillow.

There was no other furniture in the room.

Max was a little taken aback. Exactly what kind of prank did Michael and his friends have in store for him tonight?

As if on cue, a soft husky voice sounded to his right.

“Why don’t you make yourself comfortable?”

Max’s head jerked in the direction of the female voice and his eyes widened when he glimpsed the brunette from earlier leaning against a door that he could have sworn wasn’t there moments before.

She stared at him in amusement as he struggled to put together a sentence.

“I… you… huh?”

Giggling, she sashayed towards him, the way a lioness would stalk her prey.

Max found himself backing up until he bumped into the chair. Sinking down into it, he watched with wide eyes as she continued to head in his direction.

He suddenly acknowledged what she was wearing, or rather, not wearing.

She was clad only in a flimsy white robe that ended mid thigh and a white thong underneath.

He could make out the shape of her dark brown nipples through the transparent material and he swallowed heavily, bracing his legs as she stalked closer.

Finally, she reached him and stepped between his spread legs, resting her hands on either leg.

Max finally found his voice, although it came out sounding extremely hoarse. “There… there must be some mistake…?”

She cocked a perfectly shaped eyebrow, allowing a small smile to grace her lips. “You are Max Evans?”

Max Evans? Who was that?

“Uh… yeah, yeah I’m him,” Max managed weakly. “But…”

She placed a finger on his lips, silencing him from further attempts at speech. “Then there's no mistake. It’s your birthday, right?”

At Max’s nod, she continued, “Well, your friend Mr. Guerin has requested a special Maiden Voyage lap dance for you, and I am here to deliver.”

“La… lap dance?” Max croaked. Oh God. Someone stop the insanity. “You mean you’re gonna-“

“Why don’t you just try to relax, Mr. Evans,” she breathed, a feline smile on her face.

Max didn’t know whether he wanted to kill Michael for putting him in this embarrassing situation or fall down and kiss his feet.

But as she lowered herself onto his lap, wrapping her legs around his middle, he decided the only one in danger of dying was him.

Of immense pleasure.

Max stared in helpless arousal as she shed herself of her robe, revealing her breasts to him once again.

Only this time, there wasn’t a crowd of horny men watching them.

He took a deep breath as he noted her dark nipples jutting out, as if begging to be touched.

She began a slow rocking motion on his lap, grinding herself into his already aroused dick.

He was sure she must feel the effect she was creating, but she either didn’t or just didn’t care.

Groaning as she ground deeper into him, he gripped the armrests in a death hold as he struggled to keep his eyes from rolling to the back of his head.

She stared into his eyes as she ran her hands up his tanned arms and back down to his clenched fists.

She took his hands into her own and gently unclenched them, bringing them to rest on her swollen breasts.

Hissing sharply as he felt her hot flesh beneath his palm, he bit his lower lip trying to keep control. “I… I thought I wasn’t allowed to touch you? Isn’t that a rule?”

Her lips quirked into a dangerous smile. She leaned forward and breathed into his ear. “I won’t tell if you don’t…”

“Ah…” he moaned as she licked the hollow of his ear then blew softly.

She rocked back and forth more insistently now, wrapping her arms around his neck as she pulled back to look into his eyes.

His nostrils flared as she licked her lips and he brushed his finger over her nipple, eliciting a small moan from her.

Yes…” she cried as he squeezed and molded her soft flesh with his touch.

Oh shit,” he rasped huskily as he felt the first tremors of release spring forth from him.

She rocked her hips one last time, grinding deeper than ever before into him, and Max fell over the edge.

“Oh God…” he groaned, feeling his cock pulse as he ejaculated, completely soaking the front of his chinos.

His head fell back against the chair, his hands hanging limp at his sides as he panted and swallowed for breath.

The brunette smiled and leaned forward once more. “Happy Birthday, Max.”

With that, she slid off his lap and picked up her robe, giving him one last glance before disappearing from the room.

Max watched her leave, wanting to call out and ask for her name, for her to stay, but he was too out of breath.

As he became aware of the sticky substance inside his pants, he sighed and glanced down, wondering how he was gonna hide this one from his friends.

<center>TBC......</center>

Author's Note: Here are the ingrediants for the drinks mentioned above, in case any of you are fond of mixing beverages! They're all delicious. :wink:

HORNY BULL
1 shot tequila
1 shot rum

ABSOLUT ROYAL FUCK
1 oz Crown Royal
½ oz Absolut Kurant
½ oz peach schnapps
1 splash cranberry juice
1 splash pineapple juice

LONG ISLAND ICED TEA (one of my personal faves wink wink!!)
½ oz vodka
½ oz tequila
½ oz light rum
½ oz gin
1 dash Coca-Cola
twist of lemon peel or lime
Last edited by Applebylicious on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:38 am, edited 22 times in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Zans Desire wrote:Glad to see this one back too! I actually tried horny Bull and Absolut Fuck! Thier both delicous!
LOL, Aly! Those drinks are good... hmm... I'm feeling a craving right now, as a matter of fact.
ZansLove wrote:Ok, I can't believe I totally forgot about this one! I can't wait to see where it goes. Your talent just amazes me.

Please come back with more - soon!

Chelsie
Chelsie!! *hug* You're back! Yay-ness! And my talent... psha! You make me blush. :oops: :wink:
lovalien wrote:Glad to see this one back

I can't wait for the rest

PS: Have you ever finished Poolside pleasure somewhere? Because I can't find it ( ecxept what's on the archive ) and I loved it
No, Poolside is a WIP. I might be taking it back up, but not for awhile yet. I'm glad you like it though!
Smac wrote:I haven't seen this story before and it really started off with a bang!Can't wait for the next part.I love your banner,by the way.
Thanks! I love it too... Jen is amazing, is she not? :D
Itzstacie wrote:nice to see this story back too, and I remember why I loved it because I was laughing- I work at Tulane University Medical School.
Ooh really? My best friend goes to Tulane for law. I'm using him for reference on this one, LOL!
heartless3369 wrote:[quote="
Author’s note: Okay, Not So Little is finished and I'm bringing up the next fic in my loooong list. :wink: I hope you guys enjoy! Um... after this is Forbidden Desires and then If I Was Your Girl. Any other requests, me dears?
i actually do have a request! I don't remember the name of the story but it was about Liz wanting to start boxing in a gym. Max was already there and (I think) Jim Valenti was the trainer. I really liked that story! Normally, I'm a lurker but I read all of your stories and I'm so happy you're back! Thanks for writing! :D[/quote]

LOL, actually the story you are thinking of, Invincible, isn't mine. It's written by the wonderfully talented Lynn aKa Sugarplum17. But I've relayed your request to her, and hopefully she will pick that one back up because it is a great story.

Okay, thanks for all the feedback! Here's another part for you all to enjoy! :D

<center>Part 2</center>

Max rubbed impatiently at the wet spot on the front of his pants, his mind miles away as he ran over what had happened minutes before.

Turning on the faucet in the tiny bathroom, he was shocked out of his thoughts when he misjudged the force of the water and it shot out like a jet stream, soaking his pants further.

Shit! Shit, shit, shit!” he cried, twisting the faucet off and looking down at the huge wet spot in his chinos in disgust. “Now what am I going to do?”

He grabbed several paper towels and began dabbing at it, only succeeding in leaving little towel spots behind.

Sighing in resignation, he threw the towels in the garbage and turned to head out the bar.

As he exited the bathroom, he caught sight of his friends laughing it up with one of the waitresses, obviously plastered.

There was no way he was going out there to humiliate himself, he thought, staring down at his pants.

His eyes spotted an exit to his left and he headed towards it, realizing that he had to get home and study.

His friends didn’t look like they missed him, anyway.

As he opened the door, he saw that it led to the alley behind the bar. The street was empty, save for a few dumpsters.

Closing the door after himself, he started the long walk back to his apartment, when he heard voices coming from behind one of the dumpsters.

“I told you I’d have the money by the end of the week!”

Max frowned at the familiar female voice, stepping closer to the dumpster to peer over it.

His eyes widened as he was met with the sight of the gorgeous brunette.

She was wearing a knee-length sweater dress and a pair of heels, her purse clutched tightly to her chest.

A tall, dark-haired man in black was towering over her petite form, backing her into the wall of the building.

Max instantly felt his hackles rise and took a step forward.

“And I told you that I wanted that money by today, didn’t I?” the man snarled.

The brunette sighed, trying to appear annoyed, although her shaking hands gave her away.

“Listen, Angelo. Ella got sick and I needed the money for hospital bills, all right? I promise, I’ll have your rent by the end of the week.”

She made a move to walk away, but the man savagely grabbed her wrist and hauled her back against the building.

“And you listen here, Liz. I don’t give a shit about your problems, all right? If you can’t give me the money now, then you’ll just have to pay in other ways.”

Liz’s eyes narrowed. “What other ways?”

Angelo smiled, his dark eyes menacing. “You know what other ways, prediletto.”

He reached out and grabbed her to him, forcing her lips against his despite her shriek of protest.

He was pushing her to the ground when all hell broke loose.

Max exploded into action, vaulting over the dumpster and yanking on Angelo’s shirt.

“What the –“ Angelo cried as he was thrown up against the wall.

He stared into the gleaming amber eyes of the shorter man and sneered. “Who the hell are you?”

Max didn’t answer, only pushed him harder against the wall. “Didn’t your mother ever tell you about how to treat a lady?” he demanded in a low voice full of anger.

Angelo laughed. “Yeah, well show me a lady and then we’ll talk.”

Max smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “Right. Well, let me make it clear for you then. If I ever see you harassing this woman again, I’ll give you a black eye to match that shirt of yours. Got it?”

Angelo snorted, obviously not backing down. “And who the hell are you? Her brother?”

Max’s eyes flicked to where Liz was shakily rising from the ground, her dark eyes fixed on him.

“I’m a friend. And if you mess with her again, I’ll be your worst nightmare.”

“Whatever man. You better get your hands off me or else I’ll call the cops,” Angelo replied smugly.

Max released him, giving a little push as he did so. Turning to Liz, his eyes softened. “Are you alright?”

Just then, he felt something hit him in the back of the head and he turned around to find Angelo towering over him with a raised fist.

Before the man could strike again, Max had grabbed his hand and twisted it at a painful angle behind his back.

“Let me fucking go, you prick!” the man gasped as Max tightened his grip.

“I don’t think so,” Max snarled.

“Why the fuck are you protecting that little piece of trash anyway?” Angelo taunted him in a low voice. “She’s just out for the dick anyway. Or didn’t you know?”

For some reason, his words fueled a fire inside Max and he swung out, his fist connecting solidly with the man’s cheek.

With a loud crash, the man fell to the ground heavily from Max’s punch.

Max stared down at him in disgust before turning back to Liz.

She was staring at him with wide eyes.

He gave her a small smile and reached his hand out to her, expecting her to take it and give him one of those gorgeous smiles of hers.

To his surprise, her eyes darkened and her lips curled into an angry frown.

What the hell are you doing?” she yelled, turning to where Angelo lay on the ground unconscious.

Max blinked in surprise. “Huh? I um… I was just…”

Her hands rested on her hips as she glared at him. “You were just what?”

“I was trying to help you,” he finished meekly.

“By knocking my boss unconscious?” she exploded. “Are you out of your mind?”

Max’s eyes widened as he looked back at the man on the ground. “He’s… that’s your boss?” he asked in surprise.

“Yeah, that’s my boss,” Liz mocked. “And thanks to you, I’m probably going to get fired!”

“I’m sorry… but he looked like he was hurting you,” Max tried to explain his actions, his mind racing.

“Well, that’s my business!” Liz snapped. “I don’t need some rich boy to come and save me! What, do you think I owe you something now?!”

Max felt himself beginning to get angry. “Now wait just a minute, I was trying to help you! I wasn’t trying to put you in debt or something! And as for your job, I don’t see why you care all that much! You could do better than shimmying around on some stage to the delight of a bunch of horny guys!”

As soon as the words came out of his mouth, Max wished he could take them back.

But before he could apologize, she slapped him hard against the cheek, her brown eyes blazing.

“Go to hell! You don’t know a damn thing about me! How dare you come here with all your rich friends to my place of business and have the audacity to make that kind of remark to me! Just who do you think you are?”

Max couldn’t help but notice the way her cheeks flushed with anger and the way her breasts heaved against her chest as she yelled at him.

The sight of her was turning him on.

“And furthermore, you have the nerve to spy on me and knock out my boss? Are you crazy? Angelo knows people! Big, bad, mean people! His grandfather was in the Mafia for God’s sake!” she continued. “Do you have any idea what you’ve done?”

Max opened his mouth to answer, when a groaning sound distracted him.

They both turned to where Angelo lay on the ground, keening in pain.

“You better leave,” Liz snapped, turning to kneel by her boss. “You’re not welcome here anymore. Do you understand?”

Max stared at her as she fussed with the young man’s hair, pushing it out of his face to uncover a burgeoning lump under his eye.

“Liz? Liz… is that you?” he moaned, his eyes fluttering.

“It’s me, Angel,” Liz murmured in a tight voice. “It’s time to get you home. You’ve had enough tonight.”

She stood back up to find Max watching her with grim lips.

“Is he… is he your boyfriend or something?” he asked in a hurt voice.

Liz paused, her eyes flicking between the handsome man in front of her and the writhing one on the ground. “No, he’s not my boyfriend,” she admitted finally. “But you have to get out of here… now!”

Max held his ground as she tried to push him out of the way. “What’s going on, Liz? Why are you letting him treat you like this? The job can’t be that great.”

“It’s the only one I can get, all right?” she snapped, her face flushing in embarrassment. “Unlike you, I don’t have a rich family to pay for my college and everything else. I have to work for my money and this happens to be the only way. How many places do you know of that would be willing to hire an ex-stripper with no High-school diploma?”

Max was taken aback. “You mean you never…”

“Graduated high school, that’s right,” Liz finished grimly. “Still want to talk me up to some fancy law firm?”

“There are ways to get one, you know,” Max replied. “You could take some online classes and try for a GED, or…”

Liz’s sharp laugh interrupted him. “You just don’t get it, do you Richie Rich? I don’t have the money for that kind of stuff. Not to mention the time. Why don’t you go on back to your fancy apartment with your fancy clothes and leave me alone!”

Max frowned. “What’s wrong with you? Why do you keep bringing up money issues? I’m just trying to help, not badmouth you!”

“Just get out of here, all right? I have to go back to my demeaning, worthless job of shimmying around for horny guys for cash!” Liz retorted, spinning on her heel and helping a dazed Angelo to his feet.

“Liz! Liz, wait! I didn’t mean that! Please…” Max called, watching as she half-drug her boss back into the club.

She turned towards him as she reached the door. “You’re not welcome here. Don’t come back. If you do, you’ll regret it,” she murmured, her eyes softening briefly before becoming shuttered.

She let the door slam behind her and Max stared at it for a moment before slamming his fist into the dumpster next to him.

“Dammit! You are a fucking idiot,” he groaned to himself.

<center>TBC..........</center>
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

wearydreams2003 wrote:Ahh! You so have to come back and post more soon. I really love your fics! They just seem to draw me in! Thanks for writing and I'll be expecting more asap! Lol

Sarah
Sarah, I'm coming back to post now... please don't hurt me. :D
Eccentric One wrote:
Applebylicious wrote:after this is Forbidden Desires and then If I Was Your Girl. Any other requests, me dears
Just to make it simple...how about every story you ever started? :lol: Okay, fine.... "Love is Blind" would be good. Actual plot there. Same with "Soccer Sweeties." "Poolside Pleasure" would be good for PWP (although, if you want to continue a PWP, I'd definitely vote for more "Working Overtime".)

Kara

Kara, Love is Blind is definitely on my list. Damn, did I forget to mention that? *smacks self* Waaay too many fics. Jeebus. Um... Soccer Sweeties is a possibility, Poolside... hmm... maybe. If I do it, it will only be a short story. As for WO, I'm thinking of just making it a series. Maybe a few vignettes or something...
Evans3 wrote::shock: It is back! One of my favorite story! I always wonder what happened to this story....and what happened to you too!?!?!?!?!?!

Now all of sudden, I am seeing all old stories coming back to alive again and I am jumping for joy. What made you come back after all those times? I mean no offense to you but I am so happy to see you back online again.

I love this story...of course with other stories of your. Heheh. Keep posting please!

Wendy
Thanks Wendy! :D As a matter of fact, you can thank Kara for enticing me back to the world of Roswell fanfic. She told me you all were missing me, and I was pretty much shocked. Anyway, I decided to come back to finish some stories up... and the rest is history! :wink:
JBehrsGurl wrote:holy crap! i can't believe it's letting me post! hahahahaa! you cunt you didn't tell me!!!!!!!
Elena! What the fuck are you doing here?! AHAHA! You crazy cunt... I've tried calling you a bazillion times and for some reason I'm not getting through. I'll try again later. We have mooches to talk about! Love you girl! :D

<center>Part 3</center>

“He punched Angelo?!”

Liz nodded, sipping lightly on her Cosmopolitan as she recounted the last few minute's events to Maria DeLuca.

Her best friend’s jaw was hanging open and she actually stopped wiping down the bar. “And now Angelo’s unconscious?”

“Not anymore, I took him to the apartment and gave him some ice. He’ll have a black eye tomorrow, for sure,” Liz sighed, fingering the rim of her glass.

Maria shook her head in amazement. “I can’t believe it. The guy looked so harmless here with his friends. Never thought he’d take on Angelo.”

“Yeah, well, believe me – he doesn’t have a brain in that pretty little head of his!” Liz fumed.

She turned to find Maria smirking at her. “What?”

Maria gave her a knowing look. “You like him, don’t you?”

Liz’s mouth opened in protest. “What?! I… I most certainly do not!”

“Mm hmm… I saw you during that little number you had on stage. Since when do you let random guys feel you up?” Maria asked, her green eyes sparkling teasingly.

Liz flushed slightly, unable to meet her friend’s eyes. “Since… never, all right?”

Ha! Just what I thought!”

“But that doesn’t mean anything,” Liz replied quickly. “So he may be cute… but he's way too egotistical for me. I mean, first he had the nerve to eavesdrop on me and Angel, then he knocked him out!”

“What, the Prince Valiant thing didn’t work for you?” Maria joked.

Liz scoffed. “Please. Do I look like a damsel in distress? What he did was way out of line!”

“Right… defending your honor. I can see the problem there,” Maria replied wryly. “Liz, if I know Angelo, and I think I do, then whatever happened out there was no innocent conversation. Am I right?”

Liz didn’t meet her friend’s gaze. “It… it was harmless enough. Angel just wanted the rent for last month and I told him I’d have it at the end of the week.”

“Yeah, and what did he say to that?” Maria demanded. “I’m supposing he didn’t take it very well.”

“Well, I explained about Ella and he told me he didn’t care about my problems and I’d better get the money or be prepared to pay in other ways,” Liz sighed.

“What other ways?” Maria prodded.

“I’m not sure. I think he meant… you know,” Liz replied uncomfortably.

“That asshole!” Maria exclaimed, her expression livid. “And you let him get away with that, Liz? What the hell is wrong with you?!”

“Hey, I didn’t let him get away with anything, alright? I had everything perfectly under control, then Boy Wonder jumps in and decks him,” Liz snapped. “Now I’ll be lucky if Angelo doesn’t fire me or send his family after Max.”

“You don’t think he would, do you?” Maria gasped.

“I don’t know. Now I’ve got to do damage control because of this guy. God, why couldn’t he have just stayed out of it!” Liz rubbed her forehead uneasily.

“Maybe because he likes you,” Maria replied. “I mean, he sure was eyeing you during your little… performance.”

“Likes me? Yeah right, Maria! Did you happen to notice his clothes? He was wearing friggin' Prada! I don’t think I would register on his radar.”

Maria’s eyes narrowed. “Just what is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that he's a rich snob who wouldn’t think of me as anything more than an easy lay! Just like every other guy that comes in here,” Liz said vehemently.

“Elizabeth Parker! That is not true! Why would you say something like that?” Maria demanded.

“Please, Maria, I’m a stripper. I know exactly what these guys think of me. Remember Sean?”

Maria cringed. “Okay, but Sean was a world-class jerk! Not every guy is like my cousin. Or Angelo for that matter. Why you put up with him is beyond me!”

“You know why, Maria,” Liz replied quietly.

Maria snorted. “Yeah, for Ella. Not that I understand that one.”

“Angel… he’s good to us. I know you don’t think so, but you don’t know him like I do. He’s been there for me through everything,” Liz explained softly.

“Yeah, so have I, Liz, but I don’t treat you like some sex-slave!”

“He doesn’t treat me like a sex-slave,” Liz insisted. “I’m not sure what that was about. I think he’d been drinking.”

She ignored Maria’s skeptical snort and continued. “Besides, I owe him a lot. How many guys do you know would take in a penniless woman and a two-year-old and not ask any questions? Not to mention the fact that he gave me a job... got me back on my feet.”

“And now he’s expecting stuff from you,” Maria protested. “I’m telling you… I’ve never liked that guy! He and his whole family… they’re off.”

“Uh huh… and I suppose you work for him because…?” Liz trailed off, her eyebrows rising.

“Because this happens to be the best bar in New Orleans,” Maria finished. “But I wouldn’t hesitate to quit if he ever treated me the way he apparently has been treating you! Has he done this before?”

“I told you, I think he’d been drinking. He acts different then.”

“Yeah, well, that’s no excuse! God, I have half a mind to go tell him exactly what I think of him-“

“Maria, no! I already have enough to worry about dealing with Max. Please don’t go do anything stupid!” Liz begged.

Maria huffed in indignation. “Fine. But let it be known that I don’t like that guy… or his involvement with you and Ella.”

“Noted,” Liz rolled her eyes. “So… who was that guy I saw you talking to earlier before the show? He was kinda cute.”

“Honey, puppies are cute. Babies are cute… this man was scrumptious!” Maria’s eyes twinkled.

Liz laughed, tossing her brown hair over her shoulder. “Okay, scrumptious. So what happened?”

“Well…” Maria dragged out, laughing when Liz flicked a napkin at her, “okay, we’re going out after closing! He seems really nice… not to mention hot as hell!”

“Can’t forget that,” Liz replied dryly.

“Oh! Maybe I can ask him about Max! I think they’re best friends or something,” Maria wriggled her eyebrows.

“Max?! Why would you do that?” Liz asked too quickly.

“I can find out about him! You know… get the 411 on possible girlfriends, wives... mistresses…”

“Maria!” Liz blushed. “Don’t even go there, all right? There isn’t nor will there ever be anything between Max and I.”

“Why not, Liz? He’s cute! Forget cute… he’s scrumptious! Not to mention loaded! What’s the problem with finding out if he’s interested?” Maria pouted.

“He’s not,” Liz insisted. “And before you say otherwise, he was only helping me out because he thought it was something that it wasn’t.”

“All the more reason to date him! He can protect you from big, bad Angelo!” Maria triumphed.

“I do not need protection,” Liz insisted. “Just drop it, okay? Max… a guy like that wouldn’t be interested in me.”

“And tell me why not?”

“Because I’m poor, okay!” Liz blurted out. “I… I don’t have anything to offer him. Why would a successful law student want some down-on-her-luck stripper with a kid?”

Maria was silent for a moment, staring at her friend sadly. “Liz… don’t say that about yourself. It’s not true.”

“Yes it is,” Liz snapped. “You don’t understand. I told Max that I never graduated high school.”

“And?” Maria breathed.

“And… and you should have seen his face,” Liz whispered in shame. “It was like he was looking at an exhibit at the freak-show.” She covered her face with her hands.

Maria reached over and took her friend in her arms, hugging her tightly. “What did he say?”

“He started spouting off about getting my GED and taking classes and other stuff,” Liz mumbled. “It was like he couldn’t believe that anyone couldn’t have their diploma.”

Maria bit her lip, unsure if she should speak what she was thinking. Finally, she took a deep breath and went with it. “Liz… have you thought about that? Taking classes again?”

Liz stared at her. “Maria, we’ve been through this. I can’t take classes. Ella…”

“Is seven years old now and goes to school,” Maria finished firmly. “There’s no reason you can’t try to get your education.”

“Look, I just… I can’t all right?” Liz stated flatly. “That time has passed. I’m over it.”

“But what about all your dreams, Liz,” Maria broke in earnestly. This was a conversation she’d been dying to have for years now. “You had such beautiful dreams. Are you going to give up on them now? You have the chance. You could try again.”

“I said I was over it,” Liz replied, standing from the stool and slipping on her jacket. “Besides, any dreams I had died five years ago. Along with my parents.”

With that, she walked out the bar, leaving Maria staring sadly after her.

<center>**************************************</center>

Max lay on his four-poster king-sized bed, his arm slung over his face as the morning sun drifted through the curtained window.

A loud buzzing sound interrupted the silence and Max half-heartedly reached over and turned his alarm clock off, throwing it across his neat bedroom.

Ever since the night before, he’d been sitting in his bed wondering just where he’d gone wrong.

He’d seen that man… Angelo, he thought darkly… harassing Liz. He knew that.

He’d seen the look on her face when he’d pressed her up against that wall. He’d heard the threats he’d made.

So why the hell was she protecting him?

He wasn’t her boyfriend, he remembered Liz telling him that. So he was her boss.

Did that mean she had to take the crap he threw at her? Was it really so hard to find a job in New Orleans?

Her words echoed through his mind like a scratched record:

Go to hell! You don’t know a damn thing about me.

Unlike you, I don’t have a rich family to pay for my college and everything else.

How many places do you know of that would be willing to hire an ex-stripper with no High-school diploma?

Man. She’d really thrown him for a loop with that one. What was he supposed to think?

Of course, his response was totally asinine. And how the hell could he have implied that she was a slut?

He didn’t think that at all.

Truthfully, she was the most interesting woman he’d ever met, and he didn’t even know that much about her.

But then he’d blown it big time.

You’re not welcome here. Don’t come back. If you do, you’ll regret it…

Groaning slightly, he flopped over and lay with his faced buried in the pillow and his arms hanging over the bed.

Now there was no way he could apologize. She’d made it clear in no uncertain terms that he’d better not show up again.

A loud knocking on his front door interrupted his self-pity and he reluctantly drug himself out of bed.

He pulled the door open, a sarcastic retort flying his lips.

“What the hell do you want, Michael…” he trailed off as he came face to face with a very made-up Tess Harding.

She stared at him with wide eyes, dropping her gaze appreciatively to his bare chest.

Max’s face flushed as he realized he’d answered the door wearing his boxers. “Tess! Um… hold on a sec,” he cursed inwardly as he let the door slam shut and ran to his room to throw on some clothes.

When he returned, he found Tess sitting on his leather couch. Hadn’t he left her outside?

“Hi, Max!” she said brightly, smiling at him as her eyes once again trailed over his body.

“Hi,” Max replied. “Um… Tess, not to be rude, but what exactly are you doing here on Saturday morning?”

“We take the bar today, Max!” Tess replied sweetly. “I happened to be walking past your apartment and I thought it might be nice if we walked together.”

Max was staring at her with an open mouth. “SHIT!” he suddenly announced. He had completely forgotten about the bar exam!

Tess stared at him in shock as he began fluttering around the room, grabbing books and stuffing papers inside a worn duffel bag.

“Max?”

“I forgot it was today! I… I am totally not ready!” Max replied, running to the bathroom and grabbing his toothbrush.

“How could you forget the bar exam?” Tess asked in amazement. As long as she had known Max Evans, two blissful years, he had always been the type to study till his head fell off.

It was one of the things that drove her crazy about him.

Whenever she would try to get him to come out with her, he’d decline, saying he needed to study.

So why the heck was he running around now on the most important day of their young law school life, acting as if he hadn’t prepared at all?

Max returned from the bathroom, toothbrush in his mouth as he scrubbed his teeth. “Lishen, Tesh. I really gosh to gesh ready. I shee you later, okay?”

“Max, it’s okay!” Tess laughed at the nervous look in his eyes. “There are two tests today, remember? We can take the one this afternoon instead.”

Max slumped in relief. He had completely forgotten that, too. God, this thing with Liz was driving him nuts!

He finished brushing his teeth in the bathroom then returned to where Tess was still waiting patiently in his living room.

“What are you still doing here?” he asked in confusion. “Aren’t you going to take the test?”

“Well, I thought I could stay and help you study, if you want,” Tess replied, walking over to him.

Max took a step back, suddenly uncomfortable with the idea of being alone with Tess. “Um… I would really like to, Tess, but I… I kind of have somewhere I need to go.”

Tess frowned, looking disappointed. “You do? Well, I can go with you!” she smiled again.

Argh! The girl was exasperating! “I’d love to, Tess, but I really can’t. It’s really boring and I wouldn’t want to subject you to that,” Max replied, smiling in hopes that she would not ask questions.

Tess seemed so flattered by Max’s statement that she didn’t even notice when Max took her arm and led her outside his apartment.

“Bye, Tess!” he called as he shut the door again.

Tess simply stared down at her arm where he’d touched her and a sappy smile lit her face.

Inside, Max fell onto the couch, sighing in frustration. Why couldn’t the girl take a hint?

He had tried to be nice and let her down easily, but she didn’t seem to get it! Maybe Michael was right. Maybe he should sit her down and explain it to her like one would a child.

He headed into the shower and bathed quickly, yelping every time the water switched temperatures on him.

After drying off, he pulled on a pair of black boxer-briefs and then a pair of running pants.

While pulling a wife-beater over his head, he walked out into the kitchen and grabbed a power bar from the cabinet, tossing it into his duffel bag along with his books.

He figured he could go to the gym and work out for a few hours then hit the library and study some before heading in to take his bar.

Slinging his bag over his shoulder and grabbing his keys, he locked his apartment and rode the elevator down.

Waving to Felicia at the front desk, he stepped out into the humid New Orleans air.

As he walked down the street towards the gym, he was running over in his head the five major principles of criminal law, when he bumped into something.

“Oh, I’m sorry…” his voice trailed off as he stared down at the small girl in his path.

She was beautiful in a child-like way, with long brown hair and big doe eyes. Eyes that were currently panicked.

“Are you all right?” he asked in concern. When she didn’t answer him, he bent down to her level and gave her a reassuring smile. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

“My mommy told me I'm not supposed to talk to strangers,” the girl finally whispered.

Max smiled again. “Well, your mommy is a very smart lady. My name’s Max.”

He held his hand out to the girl and she tentatively smiled, taking his hand and shaking it.

“I’m Ella. Is nice to meet you, Mr. Max,” she replied brightly. “Now we not strangers anymore!”

Max laughed at the happy look on her face. She looked really familiar to him…

“Well, Ella. Might I ask you what you’re doing all by yourself on this busy street?” Max asked sternly. He didn’t want to think of what might have happened to this pretty little girl had he not found her.

“I got lost. I just went to look at the balloons!” she added earnestly, as if afraid Max would get mad at her for wandering off.

Max gave her a soft smile. “Well, I can understand how important that is, but you really shouldn’t go off by yourself. There are bad things that can happen to you.”

Ella hung her head sorrowfully. “I know, I sorry.”

“Well, where’s your mom? I’m sure she’s probably worried sick about you,” Max took her hand and began searching the crowd for a concerned parent.

Ella opened her mouth to respond, when a woman’s voice interrupted her.

Ella! Oh my God! There you are!”

Max turned as the little girl bounded into the woman’s arms. His mouth fell open as he recognized the worried woman was none other than Liz.

“I sorry! I didn’t mean to! Mr. Max found me and he kept me safe, though!” Ella explained excitedly.

“Mr…” Liz frowned, then looked up to the man who was watching them with wide eyes.

She stood shakily and faced him.

“Max…”

<center>TBC...........</center>
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

wearydreams2003 wrote:Lindsay!!!

Yay! I so love you gurlie! You are great! Lol' Can ya tell that I look for your updates? Anyways, I loved the chapter. Liz has got to start seeing that she is better than she thinks she is, and I am hoping that Maria and Max can help her out with that! And Ella...she's cute! Mr. Max...lol' I couldn't help but laugh. Please come back with more soon!

Sarah
Hey Sarah! Keep looking for those updates chickie! Don't disappoint me! AHAHA!
ZansLove wrote:J was sitting in here when I read it and saw me do that. He is now wondering what the hell is wrong with his wife. :roll:

ANyway, I can't wait for more.

Ta!

Chelsie
Haha! Nick is always making fun of me for my "dramatic" responses to stories. :roll:

<center>Part 4</center>

Max stared at Liz and Ella, his mind racing.

She had a daughter.

The thought caused a wave of disappointment to rush through him. Was this the reason that Liz was so protective of Angelo?

Was he Ella’s father?

She had said he wasn’t her boyfriend… but maybe she meant to say he wasn’t anymore.

“Max… hi,” Liz stammered, obviously as shocked to see him as he was to find her.

He ran a hand through his hair, trying to keep his expression from revealing the panic that was currently tearing him up inside.

“Hi, Liz. Wow… this is a surprise,” he laughed dryly, swallowing past the lump in his throat.

“You know Mr. Max?” Ella asked Liz in curiosity.

Liz smiled nervously. “Um, yes… I met him a few days ago, Ella. And how exactly did you meet him?”

“I bumped into her on the street,” Max explained quickly. “Listen, maybe I should go…”

“Don’t leave yet!” Ella said pleadingly. “Come eat lunch with us!”

Max met Liz’s eyes and she smiled hesitantly. “Um… I don’t know…”

“Why not, Max?” Liz asked, forcing a pleasant smile. “We need to talk anyway.”

He nodded slowly. “Yeah, okay. Where are we going?”

“Let’s go to Franky and Johnny’s!” Ella squealed in excitement. “I can play the pinball machines!”

Max had to smile at her vivacious attitude. “Sure, Franky and Johnny’s it is!”

“Just remember, Ella,” Liz said warningly. “Try not to get anything on your dress?”

Ella rolled her eyes. “I know.”

She skipped ahead of them, giggling happily as Max and Liz walked in silence a few feet behind her.

“So…” Max broke the awkward silence. “She’s a really beautiful child.”

“Yes, she is,” Liz smiled. “She’s really smart, too.”

“You must be very proud,” Max offered, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

“Hmm… you could say that,” Liz murmured, a smile lighting her features as she watched Ella bouncing merrily in front of them.

Before Max could think of a reply, they had reached their destination.

Ella took both of their hands and pulled them anxiously into the popular local joint.

“Let’s sit in the back by the TV!” she said excitedly and Max found himself smiling again at her vibrant personality.

He had always loved kids, but there was something about Ella that made him extremely fond of her.

His eyes landed once again on Liz, who was trying to get Ella to sit still in her seat as she pounded on the checkered tablecloth.

Maybe that something had to do with her mother.

After Max excused himself to go order their food, Liz turned to Ella and gave her a stern look.

“I thought you knew better than to talk to strangers?”

Ella grinned sheepishly and bit her lip. “I know… but he seemed real nice! And he told me his name, so I figured we weren’t strangers no more.”

Liz sighed in irritation, but a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. “Any more,” she corrected, reaching over to smooth the little girl’s messy locks. “In the future, Ella, I want you to remember what momma told you. Even the nicest person can hurt you, okay?”

Ella hung her head and nodded. Then she looked up, an earnest expression on her young face. “But Mr. Max is our friend, right? He won’t hurt us?”

Liz’s eyes drifted over to where Max stood at the dingy counter speaking to one of the employees. A smile lit her face despite herself.

“No, Mr. Max won’t hurt us,” she agreed.

Ella leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, “I think Mr. Max likes you, Lizzie.”

Liz’s eyes widened in surprise. “What… Ella, what are you talking about?”

The younger girl simply giggled and sat back in her seat. “When he looks at you, his eyes are smiling.”

“His eyes are smiling?” Liz asked in amusement. Ella’s metaphors never ceased to humor her.

“Mmhm,” Ella nodded emphatically. “And he watches you when you aren’t looking. He gets this funny look on his face.”

Liz cocked her head. “What kind of funny look?”

“The same kind that daddy would get when he looked at momma,” Ella explained, rolling her eyes as if Liz just didn’t get it.

Liz felt a familiar clenching in her heart at the mention of their deceased parents. “Is that right?” she managed to choke out.

“I like him, Lizzie. Can he come and play with me sometime?” Ella asked hopefully.

Liz opened her mouth to respond, but the words stuck in her throat when Max returned to their table, his arms laden with delicious looking sandwiches and fried onion rings.

“Okay… two shrimp po-boys and rings for two beautiful ladies,” he grinned and Ella giggled as he ruffled her hair before sitting down.

He handed Liz a cup containing the diet coke she’d requested and their fingers brushed as she took it from him.

Both of them stilled from the contact and their eyes met as they stared at each other over the steaming food.

A small giggle broke them out of their stupor and Max turned to find Ella watching them with interest.

“What do you think is so funny?” he teased, reaching over and tickling her sides, eliciting a squeal from Ella.

Liz sat back and watched in amazement as her closed-off younger sister continued to interact with this man she’d just met.

What was it about Max Evans that intrigued both of the Parker women so?

<center>***************************************</center>

“And then what happened?” Max asked in amusement as he listened avidly to Ella’s school tale.

Liz watched her sister, giggling and talking animatedly with her handsome new friend. The sight of Max, propping his head in his hands as he smiled at Ella brought a smile to her lips.

“Well, then I told Marcy that you could make green paint if you mixed yellow and blue, so everything was okay!” Ella finished proudly, throwing her hands in the air.

“Wow,” Max smiled, giving her an impressed look. “Where’d you learn that?”

Ella beamed at his praise. “I want to be an artist when I grow up!”

“Is that right?” Max asked in surprise. “Don’t you think you should wait awhile before you decide? You have a long time.”

Ella shook her head. “Nuh uh. My momma said I can be anything I wants to be! And I wants to be an artist… like the guy that draws all the Spongebob cartoons!”

“You like Spongebob?” Max’s eyes widened teasingly. “He’s my favorite, too.”

“Really?” her eyes sparkled. “Maybe you could come over and we could watch it together!”

Max chuckled at her enthusiasm, and glanced over at Liz. He saw that she was watching with a smile on her face, although her eyes were hard to read.

Max fished a few quarters out of his pockets and handed them to Ella. “Why don’t you go play on the pinball machines again before we leave?” he suggested, keeping his eyes on Liz.

Ella squealed, happily taking the money. “Thanks, Mr. Max!” she called over her shoulder as she flew towards the game room, her braids flying behind her.

“She likes you,” Liz admitted, smiling at Max. “She doesn’t usually take to new people so well.”

“She’s really special,” Max replied, getting lost in the velvety depths of her brown eyes. “Just like you.”

Liz felt a blush stain her cheeks as she glanced down at the table, away from Max’s piercing gaze. “You don’t even know me.”

“I wish I did,” he replied honestly, watching as she lifted her head in surprise. “Liz… I’m sorry about what happened the other day.”

“No, I’m sorry,” she said sincerely. “I… I shouldn’t have blown up at you like that. You were only trying to help.”

“Yeah, but… maybe I should have just minded my own business,” Max said softly. “I never meant to get you in trouble.”

Liz shook her head, making a split-second decision as she closed her hand over his. “You didn’t, Max. You were doing the right thing. I mean, I can only imagine what that must have looked like...”

“What was going on, Liz?” he asked curiously. “I mean, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s just… it looked pretty serious.”

She stiffened slightly, then looked away. “It was nothing, Angelo just wanted his rent.”

“You mean, he’s your landlord, too?” Max asked in surprise. What else was he?

“Yes, and I couldn’t give him his money because Ella got sick a few days ago and had to go to the hospital,” Liz said, feeling slightly startled at how easily she’d started telling Max about her life.

He frowned. “Is she okay? Is there something wrong?” he asked in concern.

“Everything’s fine,” Liz assured, touched by his worry. “Just a case of the flu. But Angel wasn’t happy that he wasn’t getting his share, so he got upset with me.”

“Just because he’s your landlord and boss doesn’t give him the right to harass you like that, Liz,” Max said softly, hoping he wasn’t overstepping his bounds.

“I know,” she replied just as quietly. “But there’s stuff you don’t understand. Angel… he acts really different when he drinks. Normally he takes really good care of us.”

Max had his doubts, although he decided perhaps he’s just keep them to himself. Right now he needed to find out if his worst fear was true. “So, does Ella know her father?” he asked casually.

Liz looked momentarily surprised. “Um, yes…” she said slowly. “Why do you ask?”

Max felt his heart beginning to sink. “Oh, I wasn’t sure. So, how does she like Angel?”

“Angel?” Liz blinked. “She likes him all right, I guess. I mean, he’s not really around her that much.”

Despite his jealousy, Max felt anger stirring within him. “What do you mean, he’s not around? Doesn’t he know that he has a responsibility?”

Liz frowned in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“If he’s Ella’s father, he should be there for her!” Max said vehemently. “How could he be asking you for money? He should be giving you mo-“

He stopped as he saw Liz break out into laughter. “What’s so funny?” he asked defensively.

“You think Angel is Ella’s father?” Liz asked incredulously.

“Yes?” Max replied hesitantly, hope filling him.

“Why would you think that?”

Max flushed. “I just thought you two were like, old flames or something,” he shrugged.

Liz’s mouth fell open. “You think Ella’s mine?” she cried.

Max’s head whipped up to stare at her. “Isn’t she?”

“No!” Liz hissed, an embarrassed flush crawling up her neck. “Ella’s my sister!”

This time it was Max whose jaw dropped. “Your sister?!”

Before either could say another word, Ella bounded up to the table. “Lizzie, can Mr. Max come over?”

<center>*****************************************</center>

Max and Liz continued to stare at each other as Ella waited expectantly.

“Um, sweetie, I think Mr. Max has things to do,” Liz began, her mind whirling with thoughts.

Max thought Ella was her daughter?

Ella turned to Max, her huge doe eyes pleading. “Please, Mr. Max? I wants to show you my Spongebob tapes!”

“Uh, actually I have to take a test for school this afternoon,” he admitted, wavering as Ella’s face fell. “But after that, I’m all yours.”

Ella squealed happily, throwing her little arms around Max’s neck before placing a kiss on his cheek. “Yay! So, can he come over, Lizzie? Please, please?”

She batted her eyes at her sister, who was biting her lip uncertainly.

“Um, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” Liz started, glancing at Max out of the corner of her eye. “I’ve got to work tonight, Ella, remember? I was going to call Rosa to babysit you.”

“Mr. Max can watch me!” she said triumphantly, grinning from ear to ear. “Can’t you, Mr. Max?”

Max’s eyes widened as the two their eyes on his. “Uh…”

“It’s okay, Max,” Liz instantly rescued him. “Ella, you can’t just expect Max to drop everything he has to do to come play with you,” she added softly.

“No, wait,” Max interrupted, a thought forming in his mind. “Actually, I don’t have anything to do after the exam. I’d be… happy to watch her until you get off work.”

Liz’s mouth dropped open. “Max, you don’t have to do that.”

He smiled. “I know, but it’s the least I can do. For almost getting you fired and all. Besides, Ella and I will have fun, won’t we?” he ruffled the little girl’s hair again, eliciting a giggle.

Liz still looked unconvinced. “That’s really sweet of you to offer, but I don’t think so.”

Ella frowned unhappily. “Come on, Lizzie! I’ll be good!”

“I promise, it’s no big deal,” Max assured her, pulling Ella into his lap with strong hands. “I’ve baby sat for my older sister plenty of times before. You don’t have to worry.”

“It’s not that,” Liz stated,” I just… well, I don’t know how to say this exactly…”

“If you’re worried about me being alone with her, you could always call to check up,” Max replied.

“That’s not what I meant,” Liz flushed, although it was a concern of hers. Normally, she wouldn’t think of leaving Ella in the hands of a man she’d just met and barely knew.

But for some reason, she completely trusted Max Evans. And that scared her more than she liked to admit.

“Please, Lizzie? Pretty, pretty please with strawberries on top?” Ella pouted her lower lip and batted her eyelashes, a lethal combination to Liz’s firm resolve.

She heaved a sigh, sinking back into the chair in defeat. “Did you have to go that far?” she joked. “Okay... if Max doesn’t mind, it’s fine with me.”

“I don’t mind at all,” Max smiled and Ella squealed again.

The next few minutes were spent with Liz giving directions to their apartment, then they finally left the restaurant.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you two tonight,” Max said as they reached his apartment complex.

“Yeah, um, are you sure you’re okay with this?” Liz asked again tentatively. “Because it’s not too late for me to call Rosa-“

“I’m sure,” Max cut her off with a gentle finger against her lips. The contact sent a jolt through them both.

“Okay,” she replied breathlessly, swallowing hard to resist the urge to slip her tongue out to taste his skin. “Um… I guess we’ll see you later, then.”

“Bye Mr. Max!” Ella said as she hugged him. “Thanks for lunch!”

“No problem,” Max smiled. “Unfortunately, the bar exam calls. I better get upstairs and get ready.”

With a wink, he turned and headed for the glass doors. On a whim, he turned back at the last second, an impish smile lighting his face. “Wish me luck!”

Liz and Ella grinned at him, their brown hair whipping in the wind. “Luck!” they called back in unison, and Max grinned again before disappearing inside the door.

After he was gone, Liz let out a sigh and looked down at her smiling sister. “What am I going to do with you, huh?”

Ella simply giggled, shrugging her shoulders.

<center>TBC...........</center>
Milla
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Milla »

Lindsay! I can't belive I haven't noticed that you'd posted another fic. I should go to check my eyes. :roll: Yeah, I'll make an appoitment firt thing in the morning. :wink:

I haven't read this story, so it's new to me (I think it's been deleted during the board's pruning).
Anyway, I allready love it. Little Ella is sweet, I have a feeling she will be a cupid who will bring Max and Liz together. :D
"Happiness is something what we probably won't achive during our lives, but it's worth dying for searching it." /Stendhal/
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, guys! But hey... let's keep the side coversations to a minimum, hmm? (This means you, Pookie and Maxzhot!) :lol: :lol:

Here's the new part, hope you all like!!

Hugs,

Lindsay

<center>Part 5</center>

The large hall was quiet, save for the occasional groan and pencil squeak.

Max bit his lip as he studied the essay question before him. His brow creased as he tried to decide what answer to choose for the hypothetical.

Unfortunately, half of his mind was still back in the Quarter with a certain beautiful brunette.

He let out a sigh, glancing up and finding his gaze locked with bright blue. Tess smiled hungrily at him and wiggled her fingers. Max frowned and stiffened, looking down as an uncomfortable feeling settled over him.

When he had arrived at the college, Tess had been waiting for him in the classroom. He had managed to sneak in at the last minute so as to avoid her, and fortunately there were only two desks remaining on opposite sides of the enormous room.

But his luck didn’t seem to be holding out. It was painfully obvious to him that Tess had finished with her test, but was once again stalling in hopes of getting his attention.

He set his jaw and struggled to return his concentration to the exam before him. He studied the question again, and confidently blackened the corresponding answer bubble.

Twenty minutes later, he stood and walked towards the professor in charge of the examination. He offered a smile and turned his booklet in, letting out a slow release of breath at the fact that he was finally done.

As he turned, he ran smack into a flurry of blonde curls.

“Max! Are you finished, too?” Tess asked in a vociferous whisper, gaining several annoyed hushes from nearby students.

Max simply ignored her, at a loss of what to say as he hurried towards the exit. Once outside, he didn’t look back as he headed across campus towards the car where Michael sat snoring in the driver’s seat.

“Max!”

He lengthened his stride at the high-pitched shout and threw open the passenger door, startling his friend awake.

“Drive!” he choked out, tossing a worried look as Tess practically stumbled over three unsuspecting students loitering on the green grass.

“Huh?” Michael blinked, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. “Wha-“

Now!” Max said, clenching his fists as the petite blonde neared the automobile, waving her hands wildly.

Michael looked over and sat up straighter. “Well, hell! You should have said something!” He quickly pressed on the gas and peeled out of the lot, tires squealing and leaves flying in their wake.

Once Tess was out of sight Max visibly relaxed, falling back against the seat with an audible sigh.

“Dare I ask how the test went?” Michael smirked wryly, glancing at Max out of the corner of his sleepy eyes.

“I’m going to have to do something about her,” Max replied tiredly. “She just won’t take a hint. I don’t like being rude to anyone, especially females, but she’s just so…”

“Exasperating? Aggressive? Incommodious? Pick your fancy lawyer term.”

“Yes. To all of them,” Max sighed. “Anyway, the test went fine. I should hear back from them in a week or two.”

“Better you than me,” Michael said around a loud yawn. “Man, what’s going on? Why’s it so crowded?” He honked at the traffic ahead.

“It’s always like this around this time,” Max rolled his eyes. “Course, those of us not awake before ten PM wouldn’t know that.”

“Hey, I work nights, you’re lucky I came to pick your sorry ass up."

Max noted that comment with a nod.

“Well, now that I’m up,” Michael yawned again, “wanna get a drink?”

“It’s barely five o’clock, Mike.”

Michael simply shrugged. “Yeah, well, I wanna go check on that piece of sugar I met last night. She’s supposed to be working.”

“You know, for someone who wears a badge, you sure do hang out at the bars a lot,” Max noted. “How’s that work?”

“Hey, I’m from Looz-ee-ana, chere,” Michael smirked with a Cajun drawl. “Alcohol is water down here. And I’m of age, so what’s the problem?”

Max glanced over and caught sight of his friends faded tee with the words Proud to be a Coonass emblazoned across the front and snorted.

His friend had conformed to the custom and dialect of New Orleans colorful Acadian history with no difficulty at all. Max guessed that had to do with growing up around it.

“No problem,” he finally said, his thoughts switching topics. “Hey, can you drop me off at my place? I need to take a shower.”

“Sure, you gotta a date?” Michael waggled his brows laviciously. “Bout time, Maxwell.”

“For your information, I do,” Max said, enjoying the look of surprise on Michael’s face. And it was true. Well… sort of. “Then I need you to take me to the shop to pick up Bob.”

“If you’re gonna name your wheels, you could think of something better than Bob,” Michael wrinkled his nose. “Something like… Mudbug. Yeah, that’s a strong Cajun name.”

“I’m not naming my Jeep after a damn crawfish, Michael.”

Michael gasped drolly, holding his hand against his chest. “Don’t be letting no one hear you say that!”

Max only rolled his eyes again, inwardly smiling at his friend’s antics.

“So, who’s the lucky lady?”

Max bit his cheek to keep from laughing. “Hm… let’s see. Well, she’s a brunette, gorgeous brown eyes, sweet as sugar…”

“Yeah?” Michael straightened in interest.

“…and I’d guess around six or seven years old.”

The car ground to a halt as the light changed. Michael turned fully in his seat and stared at his friend with an open mouth. “Maxwell Phillip Evans! Have you lost your ever-loving mind?”

Max couldn’t help it. The comical look of horror on Michael’s face was too much to keep a straight face. He threw his head back and hooted.

Michael scowled. “What the hell’s so funny? And why in God’s name are you taking out some kid?”

“I’m baby-sitting, Mike,” Max wiped the mirth from his eyes, still chuckling heartily. “Good God, do I seem like a pedophile to you?”

Michael’s scowl deepened, but he pressed on the gas as the light changed to green. “You just took me off guard,” he grumbled. “You’re baby-sitting? Who in the hell for?”

“Oh, just a gorgeous, brown-eyed-“

Maxwell!”

“-brunette who I would assume to be around twenty-three,” Max finished with an impish grin on his handsome face.

“You’d assume?” Michael cracked, his surprise quickly dissolving back to his normal hedonistic personality.

“Well, I didn’t ask!” Max said. “I may not know as much about women as you, but I do have a mother and a sister and I know that a woman’s age is a definite no-no zone.”

Michael grinned in agreement. “So, when do I get to meet her?”

“Uh, if I can help it, not until I’ve secured her interest,” Max replied. “No offense, but I’ve already got a fight on my hands without having you running around like a bitch in heat and scaring her off.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” Michael asked in offense.

“Figure it out,” Max tossed back in friendly banter

“What, you scared she won’t want your ugly hide after she gets a look at me?” Michael leered challengingly.

“You better stay away from her!”

“Staking a claim, Maxwell? Whooee!” Michael clucked. “This girl got you hooked? Yesiree, I think she does. And on quite a short line as well.”

Max growled and Michael’s grin widened. “Oh yeah, hooked.”

“I swear to God, Michael…”

“Well, you know what they say about times like this?” Michael said in a serious voice, cutting off Max’s flippant threat.

“What?” Max snarled.

Laissez les bon temps roulet!” Michael yelled out the window while slapping the steering wheel, resulting in a series of whoops and hollers from people on the streets.

Max shook his head silently, while silently repeating the common Louisiana phrase in his head.

Let the good times roll…

<center>*************************************</center>

Liz tugged on her waitress attire, which consisted of a skimpy red corset and a short black mini while attempting not to trip over the shaggy carpet in her six-inch heels.

Ella sat in not ten feet away, playing with a ragged Barbie while watching cartoons.

She felt the familiar pang of guilt as she took note of her sister’s tattered toys and second-hand clothing, but there was nothing she could do about it.

Ever since their parents had been in the accident and the bill collectors had started demanding their pay, frivolity had been pushed far behind debts and keeping food on the table.

But that didn’t mean she didn’t miss the frills.

Liz sighed and forced herself to stop thinking of things she couldn’t change and focused instead on her latest trial.

Max Evans.

God only knew what had possessed her to agree to letting him come over and watch Ella, but it was obvious that her sister was extremely excited about seeing him.

She’d even changed into her nicest Sunday dress, which was actually last year’s Easter dress and was a tad too small on Ella’s growing frame.

It had taken a half-month’s paycheck to pay for the sweet yellow garment with it’s lace and ribbon, but the look on her sister’s face was enough to make up for any scrimping on their part.

Liz shook her head. She was doing it again.

“Lizzie? When’s Max gonna be here?” Ella asked for the tenth time in the past hour.

She pasted a smile on her face and turned to respond to her sister. “He should be here any minute, sweetie. Why don’t you go wash your hands for dinner and I bet he’ll show up before you know it.”

With a squeal of excitement Ella bounded out of the room, her long brown hair flying behind her.

Despite her somber mood, Liz found herself smiling as she listened to her sister singing to herself as she turned on the faucet in the bathroom.

Yes, she may have had to give up many things in order to take care of her sister, but she wouldn’t change the situation for anything.

Just then, the doorbell chimed and Liz felt her heartbeat race foolishly before she took a deep breath and headed towards the living room.

Ella beat her there, throwing open the door with a grin that would rival the size of Texas. “Hey, Max!”

Max grinned down at her, holding a lightweight jacket over his shoulder. “Hey yourself, good-looking.”

Ella giggled, fluttering her eyelashes as she grabbed his arm and practically tugged him into the small apartment.

Liz came to a stop as he looked up and snared her with that sizzling amber gaze. “Ella. Remember what I said about checking who’s at the door before opening it?”

“Yeah, yeah, always look out the peep-hole,” she drawled. Liz cocked a brow at her saucy tone and Ella smiled sheepishly.

“Hello, Liz,” Max said in his husky voice, forcing her to acknowledge his presence before she was ready to.

She swallowed hard and met his stare again. Her breath immediately left her.

He looked like sin-made-flesh.

His hair was slightly damp and tousled as though he’d just stepped out of the shower, which was probably true since she could detect the hint of fresh soap from where she stood.

A pair of faded jeans hugged his hips and thighs, outlining parts of him that would torment her thoughts later on while she lay in her bed alone.

A soft looking blue tee clung to his broad shoulders and tapered waist, hinting at the strength that lay beneath if she only had the nerve to walk over and lift-

“Liz?”

She shook her head, a flush crawling up her neck as she pulled herself out of her thoughts to see Max and Ella looking at her expectantly. “What?”

“Mr. Max wanted to know what time you’d be home,” Ella said with a trace of exasperation.

Max simply stared at her with a knowing light in his gaze, which served to increase the color on her cheeks.

“Oh, I shouldn’t be any later than midnight,” Liz spoke to Max. “Since I’m not dancing tonight…” she worded her statement carefully with a glance at Ella.

Max nodded in understanding. “Right. That’s fine. I can stay later if anything comes up…”

“I’m sure that won’t be necessary,” she quickly added.

“Do you like my dress?” Ella interrupted earnestly, tugging on Max’s fingers.

He met Liz’s smile and looked downward with a grin of his own. “Well, well… are you sure you’re not a fairy princess in disguise? Come on, you can tell me…”

Ella giggled, rolling her eyes. “Of course not, silly! I’m Ella!”

“Of course, how silly of me,” Max agreed. “But you can understand my confusion, considering how pretty you look.”

Ella preened at his comment, holding her head up high.

“Well, Ella-bell,” Liz checked her watch, “why don’t you give Mr. Max and I a moment to go over some things, okay?”

She looked so disappointed that Liz quickly added, “Why don’t you pick a SpongeBob tape and you can eat in front of the TV.”

Ella squealed and immediately flew out of the room.

“Good trick,” Max grinned.

“Yeah, well, the real trick will be getting her to realize it’s not going to be an everyday thing,” Liz replied with a wry grin. “So…”

“So…” Max repeated, taking a step closer so that Liz got a definite whiff of his scent.

“So, I wrote all the emergency numbers down and they’re on the fridge,” she said hurriedly, taking a step back. “The bar’s on there, along with our next door neighbor, and the doctor, in case something happens and you need to get her to the hospital. Oh, and my cell’s there, too, but I won’t be able to answer it unless I’m on break so just leave a message.”

Max noticed she was rambling and hid a satisfied smile at the realization that she was affected by him. “No problem, like I said earlier, if you want to call later and check up on…”

“I don’t mean to imply that anything would happen,” Liz stated. “I just…”

“I know,” Max broke in, placing a finger to her mouth. She immediately stopped talking, her eyes widening and then darkening.

Max took a step closer, his finger unconsciously stroking her plump lower lip. His voice lowered intimately as he continued, “You just want to make sure Ella’s all right. And I can promise you she will be, Liz.”

Liz felt her heart thud against her chest as Max practically trapped her against the wall and continued rubbing her lip. “I… I’m sure she will.”

She licked her lips nervously and caught a taste of his skin with her tongue, causing the heat to rise in both of them.

Max’s gaze fell to her mouth and he opened his mouth to speak, when Ella’s boisterous voice shattered the intimacy of the moment.

“Lizzie, I can’t get the VCR to work right!” her voice preceded her body by mere seconds and Liz jerked away from Max, glancing wildly towards the entrance that led to the kitchen.

Ella appeared and glanced at them curiously. Max took a deep breath and turned to smile as Liz brushed at her hair. “What were y’all doing?” she asked suspiciously, causing Liz to flush deeper.

“I thought we were going to watch SpongeBob,” Max said, attempting to distract her from her questions, since Liz was obviously extremely embarrassed.

Ella’s smile brightened and she nodded vigorously. “Yep! I can’t get the tape to work, though,” she added in frustration.

“Well, let me go in there and see what I can do,” Max held out his hand and Ella placed her smaller palm inside.

“I’m going to go ahead and get out of here,” Liz said, recovering her voice and wishing to make a quick exit.

“Bye, Lizzie!” Ella said, releasing Max’s hand and throwing her small arms around her sister’s waist. “I’ll be real good for Max, kay?”

“Oh, I know you will, sweetie,” Liz ruffled her hair, then shot a glance at Max. “You two have fun and don’t stay up too late, all right? When’s bed time?”

“Nine o’clock?” Ella said hopefully.

Liz simply arched a brow. “Try again.”

Ella’s shoulders hunched and she scuffed her feet in the carpet despondently. “All right, eight.”

“That’s my girl,” Liz crouched down and placed a smacking kiss on her sister’s cheek, making the younger girl giggle.

Max appeared and placed a hand on Ella’s shoulder. “She’ll be too worn out to stay up any later, especially after I show her how to do the Jellyfish Jam.” He grinned down at her and wiggled his eyebrows.

“Whoo hoo!” Ella cried cheerfully. Then, “See ya, Lizzie!”

She practically drug Max out the room, and he managed to toss a wave to Liz as she stood watching wryly.

“Oh no,” she sighed, fighting against a grin before grabbing her purse and heading out.

<center>TBC.........</center>
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

This is the last part before we stopped last time. I think. Um... should be all new parts from here on out! YAY!

anonymousarfan wrote:Ella's so cute!!:D
wearydreams2003 wrote:Lindsay!

Thanks for updating this gurlie! I swear...Ella is so cute! With her "What were ya'll doin?" And then she came in right when Max and Liz were about to kiss!
Sarah
AznGurl87 wrote:Seriously, you gotta love ella, she's so CUTE! :D
pookie76 wrote:Awwww...that was so sweet.... :D Ella is such a cute girl.
maxzhot wrote:Ella is so cute.

Tee hee! I'm happy you all think Ella is such a cutie! I love little kids. They're so darn amusing. And such little matchmakers, too! :D :wink:

The Lone Freckle wrote:Man, I am loving this and all your other stories, Lindsay! You have such a talent for writing the best fluff with just the right portion of tolerable angst! Just what I like to read. :D There's so many CC (and AU) angsty serious stories out there were the M/L loving is to a very minimum. Thank God you don't write those! LOL, your fics always make me happy.
8), Laura
Laura, what a sweet compliment! Really... I'm very sensitive about my (non)ability to write angst. I always feel so silly... like no one else thinks it's angsty, just dumb. LOL. And I always manage to break the tension by cracking a joke or something. I'm way to happy to be sad, I guess. C'este la vie! :D
sunrise102 wrote:As someone who's been shit-faced, and recent I might add :oops: , it's not all that much fun when it comes to paying the tab. And I don't mean money.lol. I guess when you have low tolerance getting shit-faced is a lot easier than if you have a high tolerance which I do not have. And after 5 shots, and 3 drinks in a short amount of time what are the results gonna be? But what's a girl to do when it's open bar? :oops: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, my point of this was that next time I go out I'll get the Absolut Royal Fuck cuz it sounds really good. But I wonder if the club I go to would even know what it is. How popular or well-known is that drink btw? :mrgreen:
LOL, I know how you feel. After nine months of not drinking when I was pregnant with my son, the first night out with the girls after giving birth I had two Long Island teas and felt like throwing up. As to your question... the Absolut Royal Fuck is VERY good... especially if you like vodka-based drinks. Personally, it's one of my faves. It's pretty popular at the bars I've been to, so you should have no problem ordering it. You should definitely try it!

<center>Part 6</center>

“Hey, doll! Why dontcha shake that ass over this way and I’ll make sure ya get a nice fat tip!”

Liz closed her eyes and counted to ten before pasting a smile on her face and turning to address the table of raucous men.

“Can I get you gentlemen another round?” she asked in a pleasant voice, considering the fact that she’d been groped and demeaned all evening long by inebriated, insufferable pigs like the gentlemen before her.

The man who’d made the comment smirked and wiggled his eyebrows lasciviously, patting his wide thigh invitingly as his beady eyes bored holes into her chest.

“Why don’t ya just sit yerself down here, now, and take a break?” he drawled, causing a round of snickers and suggestive comments from his companions.

Liz had to force herself not to throw the tray of shot glasses in his meaty face. “Thanks, but no thanks,” she spit out, beyond irritated and ready to put an end to it.

The man’s face turned red and he half-rose out of his seat. “Why, you ungrateful little-“

“Tommy!” a deep voice drawled. Liz turned and found a light-brown haired man standing behind her, thick arms crossed over a muscular chest as he stared down at the offensive man.

Liz frowned as she stared at the handsome stranger.

Tommy’s eyes widened and his throat worked as he cowered back into his seat. “Officer Guerin!”

“Now, I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the rules of your parole state that you ain’t allowed to hang out in places like this… much less knocking back a few for good time’s sake,” the intimidating stranger continued with a pointed look at the empty glasses scattered around the table-top.

“What? Oh these aren’t mine,” Tommy denied with a quick shake of his head. Liz tried not to snort at the obvious lie, but she could tell by the way the young police officer’s eyes hardened that he wasn’t nearly fooled.

“So then you’d be having no problem taking a walk outside with me and letting me do a few quick tests?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Tommy’s face paled and then he seemed to crumble before her eyes. “Please, man! I can’t go back to jail again! My old lady said she’d leave me if I got hauled in one more time!” he wailed pleadingly, rubbing at the back of his tree-trunk neck as he implored pitifully.

Liz frowned down at the man, her disgust growing by leaps and bounds. He was married? And was still in here drinking and harassing younger women? Unbelievable. But it happened far too many times for her peace of mind.

The cop turned to her and said quietly, “Did he do anything that I need to take care of, ma’am? Any reason you’d like to press charges?”

Liz’s eyes widened and she bit her lip. On one hand, the man obviously needed to be taught a lesson, but on the other, the last thing she needed was to deal with the time and money it would take to take him to court over something as measly as a little ass-grabbing.

Considering all she’d dealt with since starting work here, it wasn’t that big a thing.

She finally shook her head, causing Tommy to slouch with relief. The officer stared hard at her, then nodded and turned back to the table of men. “All right, well then come on along Tommy. I’m taking you back to the station and I’ll let your PO deal with you.”

Tommy’s eyes widened again and he began trying to plead with the cop again, but the officer wouldn’t hear of it.

“Let’s not make a scene here, pal. I’m taking you in and you’ll get your one phone call. It ain’t nothing new to you, so stop your whining. As for your parole violations, you can bet your ass you’ll be slapped with a hefty fine, if not more once Sam gets wind of this.”

With those words, the man stopped arguing and simply hung his head, standing to follow the cop outside.

Liz watched as the rest of the men got up to leave, mumbling and muttering as they left.

“What’s going on?” Maria asked as Liz headed back up to the bar. “Hey, was that Michael?” She craned her head with interest, trying to see past Liz’s head towards the door.

Liz blinked. “You know him? The cop? I thought he seemed familiar…”

Maria’s eyes lit up and she nodded eagerly. “Yeah, that’s the guy I saw the other night. Michael Guerin. I wonder what he was doing back here?”

“Maybe he was coming to ask you out again,” Liz grinned, noting the excited look on her best friend’s face.

“Hmm…”

Liz suddenly remembered another tidbit about the officer in question. “Wait a minute… this is the same guy who’s friends with Max?” she asked, feeling a trickle of embarrassment come over her.

“Yeah…” Maria drawled, clearly wondering what was behind Liz’s stricken expression.

“Oh my God!” Liz moaned, laying her head on the cool polished bar top. “He’s probably going to tell Max about me getting harassed and then Max is going to get upset-“

She broke off at Maria’s amazed expression. She quickly straightened and feigned indifference. “Not that it matters,” she added, biting her lip as she looked anywhere but at her best friend’s assessing gaze.

“Uh…” Maria said in puzzlement. “What was that, hun?”

“Oh God… never mind,” Liz tried to cover her flaming face as a man stumbled up to the bar and asked for a round of Herradura.

Maria easily distributed the tequila and lime-juice into several shot glasses and added a salt shaker before handing it to the waiting patron, never removing her gaze from Liz.

“Hey, thanks sugar,” the man winked at Maria, taking the platter from her and raking a hungry gaze down her tube-top covered breast.

Maria simply grinned. “No problem, chere.”

Liz lifted an eyebrow at the easy way her friend handled the exuberant customers. “Okay, I’m impressed. How do you manage to dissuade them and still come out seeming friendly?”

“It’s a practiced art,” Maria purred, winking a set of long eyelashes. “Well, that and the fact that ol’ Artie there hasn’t taken his eyes off me all night.”

Liz glanced over and sure enough, the club’s main bouncer was indeed staring intently in their direction, eyes narrowed and body tensed to leap into action at the slightest confrontation. She snorted.

“Well, I wonder where he was a few minutes ago when I was being accosted by the Bayou Bastards,” she muttered. “I can’t believe Angelo lets those guys in here when they’ve obviously already had to much to drink.”

This time, Maria snorted. “Please, those drunk idiots are his biggest buyers. After all… well well, speak of the devil.”

Liz frowned at the abrupt change in subject, then glanced over her shoulder to where Maria’s scowl was aimed.

Sure enough, Angel was striding towards her, dark hair styled immaculately and designer clothes hugging his muscular body.

His dark eyes lit up as he spotted her and he lengthened his stride to reach them. As he neared, Liz noted the dark bruise under his eye and stiffened herself for a confrontation.

To her surprise, he simply lifted her hand and kissed her knuckles affectionately, his obsidian gaze fixed on her. “Liz, prediletto, I’ve been searching for you all night.”

Liz stared at him, her mind churning as he smiled languidly at her, revealing a set of pearly white teeth that only added to his gorgeous Italian features.

Maria snorted again, but thankfully refrained from speaking.

“Angel,” Liz started warily, unable to gauge his mood. He appeared to be fully sober and apparently didn’t remember much from the night before. “How are you?” she finally settled on.

“Better now that I’ve found you,” he purred, stroking her wrist as he leaned his head towards her. “I just spoke with Officer… Oh dear, what was his name… Green?”

“Guerin?” Liz supplied, still trying to determine his mood.

“Ah, that is it, mio bellezza,” he murmured, still caressing her arm. “He explained to me about the men who were troubling you. I had to check and make sure you were well.”

Liz was struck and Maria snorted again. “Well, yes, Angel, I’m fine.”

“That is good to hear,” he said. “Because I simply must speak with you. As soon as possible, Liz.”

Now her nerves kicked up again. “What about?”

Angelo shot a look at Mari, who simply arched a brow and then glanced back at Liz. “It is private. Let us go to my office and then I’ll inform you of my plans.”

Before Liz could ask again, he was dragging her towards the back of the club. Her eyes widened at his forwardness, and she quickly stepped back before thinking.

That didn’t deter him, he only stepped forward and took her elbow again. “I must speak with you, Elizabeth.

“Well, I’d like to know what about.”

He stopped and stared at her, his brows creasing at her defiant tone of voice. “All right then, I simply wanted to let you know that you would be accompanying me to my father’s opening this weekend. It is sure to be a spectacular event.”

“To Il Pittore Mani?” Liz asked in shock, thinking of the esteemed new art museum that had just been constructed near the French Quarter. “Me?”

Si', I need a lovely woman on my arm and could think of no one more lovely than you, bella,” he murmured charmingly. “Of course, you’ll need to wear something stunning, it’s to be a lavish gathering, but surely I can find something for you.”

Images of a huge black-tie affair shot through Liz’s mind, along with varying emotions of nervousness, embarrassment and slight anger. “Angel, you can’t just assume I’m going to be able to go with you,” she tried in an even voice. “I have responsibilities that I can’t just ignore.”

“I’ll make sure you aren’t working, if that’s what’s causing you worry.”

Her brows rose to her forehead. “No… I was more concerned with Ella being by herself while I’m out gallivanting with you and your family.”

Angel frowned. “Gallivanting? What do you mean by this?”

Liz sighed in frustration and rubbed her temple. Sometimes Angelo’s Italian heritage reared its head and clashed severely with her southern birthright. This was one of those times.

“Angel, I’m not leaving Ella alone so I can go mingle at a fancy party.”

Angel let out a laugh and shook his head. “Of course not, Elizabeth! I would find someone to watch after your… sister.”

Liz frowned at the slight tone of annoyance in his voice. “Well, I’m afraid that just won’t be possible, Angel.”

“Liz…” he whined, pursing his lips in a pout. “What is the matter with you?”

“Just because I can’t go with you doesn’t mean anything’s wrong.”

“Does this have something to do with what happened yesterday?” Angel narrowed his eyes. “I’m afraid I had a little more to drink than normal. You know it makes me… what is the word… fuzzy, about things.”

She lifted an eyebrow. “Is that supposed to make it all right for you to manhandle me, Angel?”

His eyes widened in surprise at her audacity, but he quickly shuttered his response. “Liz, do you recall the young man who had the nerve to attack me?”

She bit her tongue to keep from saying that Max was trying to protect her from him. “No, Angelo, I don’t recall,” she replied coolly.

Angel eyed her curiously, as if he wasn’t convinced of her statement. Liz forced herself to remain calm despite the intense scrutiny, and silently sighed in relief when Angel shook his head and changed the subject.

“You have the rest if the night off,” he said, rolling his shoulders as he worked at the back of his neck. “Make whatever plans are necessary, but you will join me at the opening.”

“Angel…” Liz began in irritation, but he walked off before she had the chance to tell him in no uncertain terms that she would not.

<center>****************************************</center>

“Tell me about your sister,” Max suggested as he and Ella colored in a Disney coloring book. “Do you like living with her?”

Ella shrugged as she shaded in Nemo’s fishy scales with a dull orange crayon. “Yeah, she’s the best. After my mommy and daddy had to go away forever, Lizzie stayed and took care of me. She didn’t even get mad when she wasn’t able to go off to school like she was s’posed to.”

Max swallowed a feeling of pain at Ella’s causal inference of her parent’s death. Then the second part of her statement caught him and he looked up. “Liz was going to go away for school?”

Ella’s brow furrowed as her nubby crayon broke and she tossed it aside for a sharper purple one. Going back to her coloring with a vengeance, she replied, “Yeah, Lizzie is really smart. She used to have all these people calling and asking her to come to school with them because her grades were so good. She even went and visited some of the places once or twice.”

Max stared at the younger girl’s bent head as she happily scribbled away. “She visited colleges? I thought she didn’t graduate high school?” he thought out loud.

“She told me that I was more important than some dumb ol’ school,” Ella said proudly. “But she still makes me go to school anyway. Why do you think that is, Max?”

“Because you need a good education, smarty,” Max ruffled her hair to hide the emotions coursing through him. Poor Liz. How hard must it have been to give everything up in order to take care of a younger sibling?

He tried to picture his ambitious older sister Isabel dropping her scholarship to Yale and getting a job to support him.

The idea almost caused him to laugh at the absurdity of it. For one, Izzy was only two years older than he, and secondly she would have found a way to do both without losing either.

But then again, his family was so well-off that God forbid something did happen to his parents, they both would have been amply taken care of.

Apparently the same couldn’t be said for Liz and Ella.

Max thought of Liz wearing that skimpy waitress uniform and performing nightly in a club and his temper spiked. She should have been wearing designer suits and defending clients in a courtroom, or whatever dream job had been hers. Not selling herself short for whatever meager scraps she could get in the Quarter.

He shook his head as he realized Ella had been speaking to him. “I’m sorry, honey, what did you say?” he asked, forcing a smile.

“I was just askin’ if you liked Lizzie?”

Max’s mind was still partly on his earlier thoughts, so it took a moment for Ella’s words to register. Then he stared down at her. “Huh?”

Ella grinned and leaned forward to whisper in his ear. “I saw you looking at her. You think she’s purty?”

Max’s mouth dropped open and he wasn’t sure whether to laugh or groan at how obvious he was. “Uh, yeah, she’s really pretty. And so are you, munchkin.”

Ella squealed as he chucked her chin and pretended to smack a big kiss on her head. “Max!” she giggled. “Ew, do you wanna kiss Lizzie, too?”

Now Max knew that shouldn’t have excited him, coming from the mouth of a seven-year-old. But the image of Liz’s luscious red lips crept up on him and he stifled a groan. “Hmm… now why should I tell you?” he said jokingly, albeit a bit hoarsely.

“Because, silly! I can help you!”

Max cocked an amused brow. “Oh you can? And what if Lizzie didn’t want you to help me?”

Ella made a gagging face, but her laughing eyes betrayed her. “Nah, she wants to kiss you, too.”

Now that got Max’s attention. “Really?” he perked up. “How do you know that?”

Ella made a face. “Because she gets this funny look on her face whenever I say your name. She like, spaces out.”

Max didn’t bother to smother the satisfied grin that curled his lips. “Hmm… so you think she likes me?”

Ella rolled her eyes and gave him a duh look.

<center>TBC.....</center>
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Whew doggie! FINALLY finished editing and revising the new part! :oops: Sorry that took so long, and I hope some of you are still reading this! Thanks for all the wonderful FB, I really appreciate it guys! :D

<center>Part Seven</center>

Liz stood on the front porch, cursing the stiletto heels on her feet. She bent down to take one off, and moaned in satisfaction while rubbing her foot.

Entertaining fantasies of just falling face-first into her bed, she opened the door… and stopped dead in her tracks.

Max and Ella lay curled up together on the couch, his hand in her hair as she slept peacefully against his chest. The soft glow of the muted television cast flickering shadows across their faces. They both wore angelic expressions of slumber.

Liz promptly melted. She walked over and placed a soft kiss on her sister’s cheek, smoothing down the Barbie nightshirt that had ridden up Ella’s legs. When she looked up, she found Max staring at her through sleep-heavy eyes.

Her heart skipped a beat as his gaze darkened and focused on her. He slid a hand up to scratch his chest and Liz’s eyes flicked to the shifting muscles in his arm.

“What time is it?” he mumbled, careful not to wake Ella, who still slept on soundly. He glanced down and smiled ruefully. “I guess she convinced me to extend the bedtime privileges.”

Liz laughed softly, and made a move to scoop Ella into her arms. “You wouldn’t be the first victim. And it’s around one, why don’t you let me take her and you can get back? I’m sure you have things you need to attend to.”

“At one in the morning?” he rumbled in a tone that sent a shiver down her spine. She decided to ignore it, cradling her sister to her chest. “I’m not missing anything, believe me.”

She cleared her throat, unable to look away from him. “I’m going to… go put her down,” she mumbled, walking backwards towards Ella’s room.

When he simply stared after her, she turned and hurried down the hall. She laid Ella down on her Swan Princess sheets, and smoothed the girl’s hair down before placing another kiss to her cheek and turning on the night light.

She gently closed the door, and turned to run straight into Max’s broad chest. She gasped and he wrapped his arms around her in reaction. “Wha… what are you doing?” she asked, glancing at his neck, which she assumed to be the safest place. Unfortunately, the tanned tendons looked just as inviting as the rest of the man.

“I’m sorry,” he murmured, and she glanced up and immediately regretted her mistake. His eyes burned with sleepy desire, the evidence pressed up against her lower belly. “I… I just wanted to let you know I was on my… way…”

Liz wasn’t sure what was happening there in the hallway, but she recognized the same erotic confusion shining in his eyes. She took a deep breath, and the movement brought a small moan from his throat as she unconsciously caressed his erection. “You’re leaving?” she whispered, and then wanted to hit herself for the longing tone in her voice.

His hand came up to trace her jaw, and they moved closer together. “Should I stay?” he asked huskily, his other hand absently stroking her lower back. Their foreheads touched, and his breath drifted across her lips.

Liz’s head spun with hazy desire, and she stared into his half-lidded gaze, mesmerized. “Max…?” the sound was a breath that brushed their lips together, and they both sucked in sharply at the electric sensation.

“Ask me to stay,” he groaned harshly, sucking her lower lip between his teeth, releasing it with a soft pop. “Oh God, please…”

He grasped her leg and brought it around his waist, bringing his erection flush against her core. His hand skimmed the flesh above her garter, gently pushing the short hem of her skirt higher.

“Oh my God…” Liz gasped as he thrust gently against her, the rough denim rubbing against the soft satin of her panties. Her fingers tangled in his hair as their lips nipped lightly at each other. His tongue slid inside her mouth, and she moaned, the kiss becoming hotter, deeper.

Max groaned, pulling her other leg up so that she was straddling him against the wall. He kissed a wet trail down her neck, nuzzling beneath her ear with his nose. “I want you so much,” he admitted huskily, capturing her lips again.

“No,” Liz protested weakly, moaning as his fingers slid inside her underwear, skimming across her moist flesh. “Max, no…”

His hand stilled, his breath coming heavy and his face tight with desire. “No?” he asked in a voice filled with disbelief. “You want me to stop?”

Liz hesitated as he made another delicate sweep with his fingers, barely brushing across her aching cleft. “We… we can’t…” she managed, setting one leg down and without meaning to, sending his fingers deeper into her center.

They both groaned and Liz’s knees buckled as Max’ jaw tightened. “You are so wet,” he whispered, biting his lip as he traced circles around her swollen clitoris. “Oh, baby… you are so ready…”

Liz felt tears of mortification fill her eyes, even as she arched into his masterful touch. “I know you think I’m… easy… but I’m not,” she whispered brokenly. “Please… stop…”

Max froze, staring at her with dark eyes. “Who says I think you’re easy?” he asked hoarsely. “Who the hell says that?”

Her lips quivered. “Don’t you? Think that?” she clarified, gesturing vaguely to where his fingers were sunk in her depths. “Just because I’m a stripper doesn’t mean I…”

He crashed his mouth against hers, effectively cutting off the rest of her sentence. When he lifted his lips again, he stared at her with hot, angry eyes. “Don’t you think about finishing that statement. It’s ridiculous,” he rasped, removing his hand from her panties and setting her away from him. “For God’s sake, you think I just wanted a piece of ass from you? You think this was all just a set up on my part, so I could fuck the stripper from the Quarter who made me come in my pants like a thirteen year old?”

Each word was carefully spaced and sharp, yet she still felt desire coursing through her even as he stared at her in disgust. She felt like crying, from the confused lust pounding through her system, to the fact that he was obviously hurt by her cautious words, meant to protect her.

He made a low sound, and raked a hand through his hair. “For Christ’s sake, don’t cry,” he whispered, biting off a curse. “What the hell have you done to me?”

“Me?” she sniffed, beginning to feel angry herself as he glared at her. “What have I done to you?”

“Yes! I’ve never felt like this before,” he muttered, pulling the hair at his temples. “God, you’re so damn closed-off and guarded. It’s like trying to smuggle a pound of gold out of Fort Knox, just having a conversation with you.”

Liz felt her hackles rise. “Well, who asked you to bother?” she demanded, spots of humiliation burning in her cheeks. “If it’s such a hardship, then leave!”

They just stared at each other for a long moment, then he leaned against the wall, letting his head fall back. “Why do you think the worst of me?” he asked quietly. “Why are you so damn scared that I might actually want to get to know you?”

Liz turned away, swallowing hard. “We’re too different, Max. It would never work, so let’s just agree to that right now.”

When he didn’t answer she continued on hurriedly, “For Ella’s sake, I hope you will maybe come to visit sometime. She really likes you, and I know she’d be crushed if you suddenly disappeared from her life. She doesn’t understand when that happens. But… I would understand if you don’t want..” she trailed off as she felt his breath on the back of her neck.

“Damn you,” he whispered, seconds before he turned her around to face him. “Now you’re thinking I used that wonderful little girl as a way to get to you. Don’t look at me like that, it’s true isn’t it?”

Liz stuck her chin up. “It wouldn’t be the first time.”

Max’s nostrils flared, and he pushed her against the wall. “Despite whatever the hell is between you and I, I’m in love with your sister. She’s… incredible.” His eyes softened, as he glanced towards Ella’s bedroom. “I’m not the kind of person who uses children as a way to get what I want.”

Liz heard the censure in his quiet tone, and inclined her head in shame. “I… I’m sorry, then. But you don’t understand how it’s been for us.”

“Why can’t you tell me?” he whispered, his eyes pleading. “Don’t write me off so quickly, Liz. Maybe I’ll surprise you yet.”

Liz thought of the scene she’d walked in on earlier, of Max and Ella wrapped in each other’s arms. You already have, she thought sadly.

When she didn’t respond, his gaze grew dull and he released her slowly. “So that’s it? You won’t give me a chance, because you think you already know everything there is to know about me. Just because I have money, I must be a conceited bastard, looking for some poor girl to screw around with?”

Liz opened her mouth, but they were disrupted by a small voice.

“Lizzy?”

They looked over to see Ella walk out rubbing her eyes, her hair rumpled from sleep. She yawned and blinked rapidly. “Lizzy… can I have a drink of water?”

“I’ll get it,” Max replied, bending down to stroke a finger down Ella’s nose. “And then I have to be on my way, okay munchkin?”

Ella’s lips pouted, but she nodded. “Are you going to come back and see me?”

Max lifted his gaze and found Liz staring at them with a blank expression. “Of course I will,” he spoke to Ella, not breaking their gaze. “You can count on it, sweetheart.”

Liz had the feeling that those words were directed to both of them.

<center>*******************************************</center>

“What the hell is your problem?”

Max glanced over at Michael and scowled. “Who let you in?”

Michael simply raised a brow and dangled the spare key Max had given him when he’d first moved in to his apartment. “What’s with the sad face, Maxwell? You look like your dog died.”

Max just grunted, turning back to the television program he wasn’t really watching. Instead, his thoughts were trained on Liz. Of course. He could hardly remember the last time he’d thought of anything else, even though he’d only known her for a week at the most.

He just wished he could understand why she was so scared to open up to him. It couldn’t just be the fact that her parents had died and she’d been left to support Ella all these years. Sure, that could make a person downtrodden, but Liz didn’t seem the type to wallow in what she couldn’t change.

Then again, she was a frustrating collection of contridictions. At one moment, a brassy stripper who’d teased him past the point of control. The next, a fiery virago who’d looked capable of flaying the skin from his nose. And of course he couldn’t forget the shy yet sultry woman in his arms a few nights ago.

“It’s a woman ain’t it?” Mike asked around a mouthfull of sunflower seeds, as he flopped on the couch next to Max. He noted the empty bottles on the floor, but didn’t comment. “I’ve seen that completely bewildered look on many a poor sap’s face. And there’s always a female behind it. So, your brunette goddess break up with ya, Max?”

Max glared at him, and reached over to pilfer a handful of seeds. “There’s not a relationship to break up,” he mumbled, chewing on the salty snack.

“Ah… but you want there to be,” Mike said wisely, propping his feet on the coffeetable. “You tell her how you feel?”

“Do I look like I need romantic tips from the guy whose bachelor pad is called The Heartbreak Hotel by all the disgruntled women you leave behind?” Max slurred, reaching for the remote after realizing he’d been staring at Sesame Street for the last twenty minutes.

“No, wait… the letter B gives me a hard-on,” Mike joked as Max flipped the channel.

“Why aren’t you asleep?” Max whined, rubbing his cheek and grimacing at the stubble he’d forgotten to shave off on his day of slumming it. “It’s only…” a quick glance at the clock, “damn, it’s already six?”

Michael’s brows raised. “Yeah, that’s six am, Max. In case you haven’t noticed, I just got off work.” He gestured to the police uniform he was wearing, and shook his head. “Damn, she really did a number on you, eh chere? I’ve never known you to sit up all night watching TV and munchin’ on… lordy, lordy… are those pork rinds?” Michael let out a long whistle. “This from the king of health food?”

“Shove it up your ass,” Max grunted, propping his head on the arm of the couch as he snuffled. “And while you’re doing that, grab me a beer.”

“A beer?” Michael feigned a swoon. “Have I finally managed to corrupt you, my friend? You never drink unless I force it down your throat with a funnel.”

“Not so,” Max burped, scratching his chest lazily. “I drank the other night… and that’s what got me into this mess.”

Mike quirked a brow. “Oh, really? How’s that?”

Thanks to the alcohol streaming through his system, Max didn’t think to quiet his loose tongue. “I met Liz. And now she won’t get out of my mind. She doesn’t want me, Mike.”

Michael frowned. “Liz? She’s the girl you’re mooning over?”

“Yeah, she’s beautiful,” Max sighed drunkenly. “She’s got such pretty…” Michael leaned forward in expectation, “… hair,” he finished dreamily. “All dark and dense.”

Michael grunted and sat back.

“And her eyes are so soft, but they can sparkle when she gets angry. Which is pretty much every time I’m around,” he admitted sadly. “I don’t know why I piss her off so much. I’m a good guy, right?”

Michael shook his head in amusement as his friend turned to stare at him with wide, innocent eyes. “Oh, yeah, the best,” he replied, tongue firmly in cheek. “And how did you meet this paragon again, Max?”

“She’s the one who gave me a lap dance on my birthday,” he frowned. “She liked me well enough then.”

Michael choked on a sunflower seed. “That’s Liz?!”

“Yeah… she’s beautiful.”

“A stripper,” Michael shook his head in amazement. “My best friend, Joe College, falls head over heels for a stripper from Bourbon street.”

“Hey, she’s an exotic dancer,” Max scowled. “And she’s a nice girl.”

Michael held his hands up. “Of course she is. I wouldn’t doubt it, if she’s managed to turn you into a pile of sentimental slush. The Abstinence Advocate.”

Max flipped him off. “For your information, I almost made love to her.”

“Oh, now this is getting good.”

“But then she stopped me, so I came home and beat off instead,” Max sighed in frustration.

“Good God, man!”

“What?”

Michael crossed his eyes. “Not a visual I need before going to bed, no siree.”

“Oh, sorry,” Max answered, sounding anything but. “I think I’m gonna go to sleep, too. Dream about my Liz… she’s so-“

“Beautiful,” Mike finished dryly. “Yes, I’ve gathered. God, you turn into a simpering moron when you’re plastered.”

But Max was already passed out, snoring heavily.

Michael shook his head, hiding a grin as he got to his feet. He made plans in his head, while humming Jolie Fille under his breath.

<center>TBC.........</center>
Last edited by Applebylicious on Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Okay back with a new part! :D
jason's lover wrote:great part......i loved it and i can't wait for more!!!! and hey, today's my 18th b day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Crystal~ :D :D :D
Er... happy belated birthday! :D I remember when I turned eighteen... sigh... so long ago. Two years ago... :lol: Actually, my 21st birthday is coming up, too, on the fourteenth. So it will be three years. Wow, Lindsay can count people! *claps*
Milla wrote:Maybe Michael will think of something to help Max... hmmm... I only hope he won't make something stupid what could make everything worst, after all we're talking about Michael Guerin here. :roll:
:rofl: :lol:
Anais Nin wrote:Hi Lindsay!

Just wanted to drop by and tell you that I love this fic. :D It's sweet and sexy and touching and... I love it.

Thank you for writing!

Stefanie
Thanks, Stef! I am so happy you like it, because I LOVE your writing! :wink: Oh and by the way, I can't BELIEVE you put me in the same category as Dee, Deb, and Carol! I laughed so hard when I read that... sheer disbelief! :oops:
Gigo wrote:Maybe Ella could just lock the two of them together in a closet for a few hours... hmm. That definitely sounds like a good idea to me! :wink:

Elizabeth
Hmm... that's a possibility I haven't considered... definitely be looking into that one! :lol:
lovalien wrote:I hope Liz will let Max in...What happened in the past that made her so closed up ??? ( Outside of her parents )
Well, you'll find out more later, but I'll go ahead and tell you... that's mostly it. LOL! Um... keep reading and hopefully things will clear up.
cherie wrote:I waited till you finished RB before I started this one again. It's hard to keep up with you, but I'm glad you are going on with this one. I always loved the premise of this story.
Thanks, cherie! By the way, what is your first name, if you don't mind? Not trying to be nosy... but I usually like to have a name to go by for my fave authors, and I just adore your work! I may have already known the answer to this question, but for the life of me... I can't remember! :roll:

<center>Part 8</center>

“Ella! Get a move on!” Liz called as she rushed through the living room, hastily fastening a pair of silver hoops to her ears. “Sweetie, we’re going to be late!”

“Lizzie, have you seen Tigger?” Ella’s voice sounded, and Liz glanced down to see her sister dressed in a light pink jumper, her hair in two tight pigtails.

“You don’t need Tigger to go out to lunch and shopping,” she pointed out, checking her watch. “If we don’t hurry, Maria is going to wig out.”

As if on cue, a horn honked in three staccato beeps.

“Sound like she’s already wiggin’,” Ella giggled, and Liz shot her a reprimanding look that dissolved into amusement.

“Let’s go, Miss Smartie Pants,” Liz grabbed her purse and Ella’s hand and the two stepped outside.

“Lizzie, I’m not wearing pants.”

“Well, it’s about time!” Maria called from the front seat of her car. “Ella bell, c’mere and give your Auntie Maria a kiss, baby doll!”

Ella squealed and ran over to hug Maria as she stepped out of the car. “Hey, ‘Ria!”

Maria caught her and gave her two light kisses on both cheeks, then sat back to study her. “Hmm… something’s missing,” she pondered, tapping her chin as Ella giggled. “A ha!”

She dug in her purse while Liz rolled her eyes goodnaturedly behind them. “Here we go! Pucker up, baby.”

Ella obediently poked her lips out and Maria slid a wand of strawberry lip-gloss over her mouth. “Now rub them together… look at you! You’ll have those first grade boys on their knees in no time, missy.”

Ella scrunched her face up and Liz arched a brow. “I don’t think we need to have the boys begging just yet, Maria.”

Maria shrugged. “Hey, with looks like that girl has, it’s inevitable.” She winked at Ella. “I say, you got it, you flaunt it.”

Ella nodded, as though she had a clue as to what Maria was saying. “Yeah, flaunt it like Aunt Maria!”

Liz snorted and Maria smiled sheepishly.

<center>***</center>

“Is it time to eat yet?” Ella complained, dragging her feet two hours later as the women strolled down the French Market. “I’m hungry.”

“Yes, we’re done buying you your new school clothes,” Liz answered, squeezing her sister close to her side. “You’re such a good sport, sweetie.”

“I’m in the mood for some beignets, what do ya’ll think?” Maria inclined her head across the street.

“Beignets!” Ella sang, bouncing up and down. “Whoopee!

“I thought you were on a diet,” Liz reminded her best friend, secretly envying Maria’s curvy figure. She wished she could worry about being a size C cup.

“Hey, I lost five pounds this week,” Maria answered, her heels clicking as she walked across the street. “This is my reward.”

Liz giggled as they entered the Café du Monde. “What, stuffing yourself full of calories?”

The popular coffeeshop was full as always on such a fine afternoon, but the girls had no problem finding seats on the outside porch. Liz bent and placed the shopping bags on the ground beside them.

“I’ll go get our orders,” she offered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. The canopy above gave them a small relief from the scorching southern sun and the light breeze fluttered across her tank top and linen skirt. “The usual?”

“Oh yeah,” Maria moaned, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath as the scent of chicory drifted through the air. “What are you still standing here for?”

Liz rolled her eyes and walked inside, ducking the scurrying waitresses. When she reached the main counter, she gave their order to a smiling cashier, then looked around aimlessly while waiting.

As her eyes drifted across the laughing crowd, a strange sensation crept over her seconds before she met a warm, golden gaze. Her eyes fixed on Max as he stared back at her, a look of surprise on his handsome face.

She swallowed, suddenly nervous as he offered her a slight smile. She returned it, then quickly looked away, cursing herself for the blush she knew was heating her face.

She hadn’t seen or heard from Max in over a week, and of course the first time she set foot out of the house save for work, she’d run into him. She almost groaned at her luck.

Unable to help herself, she flicked her gaze back over to the table where he sat with two other men and a curly blonde who was staring at him with adoring blue eyes. A fierce jolt of jealousness sparked through her as she watched him smile at the pretty blonde.

“Ma’am? You’re order is ready.”

She jumped and turned back to the counter. “Oh, thanks,” she smiled, digging through her purse for change. After paying for the food, she reached out to grab the platter where the fried powdered doughnuts and steaming coffee were balanced.

Without glancing back at Max, she headed back outside, ignoring the two eyes she felt trained on her every movement.

“Beignets!” Ella chanted, clapping her hands together. “Are all those for me?”

Maria tweaked a pigtail. “No, those are all for me.”

“Don’t start, you two,” Liz clucked, smiling as Maria and Ella stuck their tongues out at each other. “Ella, let’s say Grace before we dig in, okay?”

The little girl paused guility in the act of reaching for one of the deep-fried fritters, and dropped back in her seat. “Aw, do I got to?”

“Yes, you have to,” Liz reprimanded lightly.

Ella sighed heavily, then bent her head. “Please, God, bless these ‘licious beignets and make them keep us healthy and strong. I love you, God. Amen.” She looked up happily. “Can I have my beignet now?”

“I think you’d better let her have her way,” an amused voice broke in, and they all looked up to see Max standing there, smiling.

“Max!” Ella laughed, reaching out to hug him. She froze when two more men came up behind him, followed by the blonde.

Ella immediately drew into herself, her shoulders hunching as she mumbled a shy hello.

“Hey, Ella,” Max greeted her warmly, reaching down himself to complete the hug. “I missed you this week.”

A smile lit her features, but she still looked warily towards the other people. “I missed you, too.”

A smile still on his lips, he turned to Maria. “Hello.”

Maria’s brows rose as she noted the uncomfortably pleased look on Liz’s face. “Hello,” she replied politely. “And you are…”

“Max Evans, a… friend of Liz and Ella,” he added with a glance at Liz. “And these are my friends, Kyle Valenti and Alex Whitman.”

The blonde cleared her throat and Max’s expression became hesitant and apologetic as he stared into Liz’s eyes. “And Tess Harding.”

“Max, huh?” Maria arched a look at Liz that clearly said, “What are you thinking… letting this prime hunk get away?!” Outwardly, she purred, “It’s nice to finally meet you, Max. I’m Liz’s best friend, Maria DeLuca.”

“Ah, the gorgeous bartender,” he laughed. At Maria’s surprised look, he added, “You’re dating my best friend, Michael Guerin.”

“Such a small world,” Maria grinned, and Max grinned back.

“What are you doing here?” Liz blurted out, then felt like sinking beneath the table when six pairs of eyes trained on her. Only Ella appeared not to notice her sister’s obvious fluster. “I mean… why aren’t you in class?”

Max nodded towards the people who accompained him. “Study group,” he explained. “We were just taking a break.”

She nodded, biting her lip. “Oh.”

“Max, we really need to get back to campus,” the blonde named Tess spoke up, and although her tone was pleasant, Liz still caught the underlying impatience and the icy glance that was shot her way.

Without even acknowledging she’d spoken, Max turned to Liz. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

She opened her mouth to make an excuse, but the sandy-haired guy beat her to the punch. “Max, we’ll just meet up with you later. We’ll hitch a ride on the trolley.”

Without looking away from Liz, Max nodded. “Yeah, thanks man.”

“But-“ Tess was cut off when Alex and Kyle each took her arm and started to drag her out, calling goodbyes over their shoulders.

“Is that your girlfriend?” Maria fluttered her lashes, even as her tone could cut steel.

“Hell, no,” Max answered quickly, then looked sheepish as he remembered Ella’s presence. The little girl stared, then giggled behind her hand. Max shot her a look, but his lips turned upwards. “Whatcha been up to, squirt?”

Regaining her speech now that it was just them, Ella piped up, “Lizzie and Auntie ‘Ria took me shoppin’! Wanna see my new clothes?”

Amazing, Liz thought, shaking her head. I had to practically shove her into all those outfits, and one look at Max Evans and she’s ready to strip down and give him a fashion show.

She’s not the only one ready to take her clothes off, her inner voice reminded her wryly, and she forced herself to shake those thoughts free.

She tuned back into the conversation in time to hear Max say, “Maybe I can come over later and you can show me.”

“Okay!” Ella agreed happily, and Liz fought back a groan. Great, now how was she supposed to avoid seeing him? Then again, she had been the one to offer him an invitation to come in the first place.

With inner resignation she admitted she wouldn’t mind spending time with him.

“So, Max, tell me all about Michael,” Maria was saying, crossing her shapely legs as she gave Max her full attention. “And by that I mean, tell me what he says about me.”

Max laughed, the husky sound raising goosebumps across her skin, despite the humidity. She shifted uncomfortably as she recalled that gravelly chuckle in her ear.

“Well, he says you’re very beautiful and sexy…” Maria nodded as he spoke, a smug look on her face. “And that you’re the most hard-headed woman he’s ever known.” He laughed again as Maria’s head slipped from her hand. He turned to glance at Liz. “Of course, I’d have to disagree there. I’ve met more stubborn women. But like Michael, I’m always up for a challenge.”

She returned his gaze for a moment, then looked away as his intense stare raised the temperature another ten degrees. She barely resisted the urge to fan her face.

Maria also noted the tension, and laughed evilly. “Oh, I don’t doubt it. You look like a persistant one. Good for you,” she winked flirtatiously, and ran a nail down his arm. “You’ll need it.”

“Don’t I know it,” he responded.

“Well, I think I’m going to run to the ladies room real quick,” Liz quickly stood. “Come on, Ella. You need to go, too.” She knocked over one of the bags and righted it before brushing her hands down her skirt and turning to escape.

<center>***</center>

Max watched as Liz practically ran inside dragging Ella behind her and heaved a sigh.

“You’ve got her on the run,” Maria’s sympathetic voice broke into his pity party. “You realize she never reacts like this to guys, right?”

He glanced over with new interest. “Really? You aren’t just saying that because you can smell the patheticness on me?”

The pretty blonde laughed. “You know, chere, I really like you. I’m glad, because I’d have to bust your balls otherwise.”

Max winced theatrically. “My balls and I are very grateful.”

She laughed again, the sound musical and inviting. Max smiled as he immediately understood the allure his friend had noticed. “Yes, I do like you. And because I do, I’ll let you in on a little secret.” She leaned closer. “She likes you, too.”

“You’ll understand if I have a hard time believing you,” he returned wryly. “After all, she just ran like a bat out of hell.”

Maria waved a hand carelessly. “No, trust me… if she didn’t like you, she’d have no problem telling you so. I’ve accused that girl of having ice in her veins on more than one occasion, believe you me, but when it comes to you… whooee, chere, but that blood is running thick and hot.”

“Then tell me how to get her to give me a chance,” he pleaded, his heart beating rapidly. “I just want a chance… but she’s so damn sure I’m going to hurt her. Not even mentioning the damn money issue.”

Maria sighed. “She brought that up, did she? Lordy, Lordy, Liz… listen, Max, our little Lizzie is a complex creature, okay? If you want to understand her, you’re going to have to dig deep and not be afraid of rejection. That girl has more walls built than a fortress. But underneath, she’s got scars that need healing. Now I think you could be the man for the job, but the question is… can you handle it?”

Max stared at her for a long moment, then fell back in his seat. “I can’t help myself around her. I have to try.”

She reached over and patted his hand. “That’s a good answer.”

<center>***</center>

“What did he say?” Liz asked for the umpteenth time as they drove back to her house.

“I told you, we talked about Michael,” Maria made a show of sighing, even as her eyes secretly sparkled behind her rhinestone sunglasses. “But let me tell you this, girlfriend, that guy is hot with a capital M! I almost spontaneously combusted with the fiery looks going on between you two.”

“What’s ‘ponatenous combusted mean?” Ella asked from the backseat. Liz shot Maria a look and Maria shrugged, hiding a wicked grin.

“It means Aunt Maria is in serious trouble if she keeps talking about things she has no business mentioning,” Liz frowned at her best friend.

“Hey, you’re the one who keeps bringing it up,” Maria pointed out.

Liz opened her mouth to retort, but realized she was right. With a huff, she crossed her arms and looked out the window, determined not to ask again. No matter how much she wanted to know. Oh, damn.

Apparently bored of the topic, Ella changed the subject. “Lizzie, I missed Mr. Max, didn’t you?”

She resisted the urge to groan.

“Yeah, Lizzie, did you miss Mr. Max?” Maria snickered.

“You are going to die,” Liz mumbled beneath her breath. Louder, she replied, “Um… of course I did, Ella bell. But he said he’d come to visit, so don’t worry, okay?”

A beat of silence, then, “Lizzie, if you and Mr. Max got married, would I still have to call him Mr. Max? Or would I be able to call him brother Max?”

Maria bursted out laughing, dissolving into pinched giggles as Liz shot her a death glare. “I’m sorry…” she gasped, “I was just picturing Max as a man of cloth… Brother Max! Ahahaha!”

“Ella, Max and I aren’t getting married!” Liz cried. “Where did you come up with such a thing?”

Ella shrugged. “I don’t know… Tracy’s mom just got married, and she said her new daddy stares at her mommy all the time. I see Mr. Max staring at you all the time, too.”

“Don’t you dare laugh,” Liz warned in a low voice.

<center>TBC...</center>
Last edited by Applebylicious on Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Whew, sorry this took so long to get out guys! :roll: It's short, but the next part has something you've all been waiting for. Maybe. :twisted:

I wish I had time to reply to all of your feedback... but I'm in a rush to update now that it's actually working, lol. So let me just say I looove you all and thank you so much for your compliments :!: :D :D

<center>Part 9</center>

“So, explain to me again where we’re going?” Michael asked as Max steered through late afternoon traffic. “You want me to come along while you try to seduce your little jolie fille?

“I’m not going to seduce her,” Max said wryly, glancing over his shoulder as he merged lanes. “I’m going to see Ella. And you’re coming along so that Liz doesn’t feel nervous being alone with me.”

“Ella… she’s the little girl you were talking about?” Michael nibbled on the end of a toothpick, adjusting the car seat as far back as it would go.

“Yeah,” Max grinned, tapping the steering wheel in tune with the zydeco beat pulsing from the radio. “You’ll love her, Mike. She’s adorable.”

“Kids aren’t my cup of tea,” Michael pointed out wryly. “We have a mutual understanding. I steer clear of them, they keep outta my way.”

“Nice,” Max snorted. “Any particular reason you’re scared of a person who barely comes up to your knees?”

“Who says I’m scared,” Michael shrugged. “I just don’t like entertaining them. They demand all this attention… it’s nerve-wracking. I just want to toss them a chew toy or something.”

Max gave up, shaking his head and trying not to laugh at his friend’s expression. “Well, I’ll keep her on her leash,” he mocked lightly. “Just… try not to embarrass me.”

“Who, me?” Michael pointed at himself, grinning broadly. “Why, I’d never think of it, Maxwell.”

“Right.”

A few minutes later, and Max pulled up in front of Liz’s ordinary if a bit run-down apartment complex. Manuvering his massive Jeep into one of the miniscule parking slots, he didn’t notice his best friend’s pensive expression.

“She lives here?” Michael asked, drawing Max’s attention with his surprised tone.

“Yeah…” Max drawled, frowning at his friend’s sudden alertness. “Why?”

It didn’t seem as if Michael planned on answering, and when he did there was a troubled hint in his voice. “This place is under investigation.”

Max turned around to face him. “Investigation?” he parroted, brows furrowed.

“Well, the owner is anyway,” Michael continued. “The family that owns this place is under suspicion of using the premises for an underground prostitution ring.”

Max’s mouth fell open. “Prostitution ring. You’re kidding me.” Then he sat straight up in his seat. “The family that owns it. You mean that Angel guy?”

“Angelo Giordano, yeah,” Michael’s eyes narrowed. “How do you know him?”

“He’s the one I hit that night at Maiden Voyage. He was harassing Liz,” Max’s fingers clenched in memory. “And you’re telling me he’s a fucking pimp?”

“You hit Angelo Giordano?” Michael’s voice raised as he stared at Max in shock. “Good God, man. Do you have any idea what could happen to you if he knew it was you?”

“What, send his man out to put a hit on me?”

“Yes!” Michael ran his hands through his hair. “Look, Maxwell… the Giordano’s are well known thugs. The only reason they haven’t had their sorry asses thrown in the nearest prison cell is because they’re good at covering their tracks. The only reason we got the tip about this prostitute thing is because of a dissatisfied customer calling and letting us know.”

Max stared at his friend. “This sounds a little too Godfather for me. You’re telling me that Angel, the guy who is Liz’s boss and landlord, is part of a gang?”

“I’d encourage your little girlfriend to move,” was all he said.

They stood outside the door of Liz’s apartment and stared at each other. Max frowned, reaching out to knock on the door. Seconds later, it was thrown open and both men looked down into Ella’s smiling face.

“Hey, princess,” Max smiled, bending down to ruffle her hair. “We’re here as requested to view the royal wardrobe.”

Although she didn’t understand what he was saying, Ella giggled in rapture of Max’s attention. Then her gaze fell on Michael, who looked down at her with a quirked brow.

They studied each other for a long moment, then Ella let out a sigh and fluttered her lashes. “Hi, I’m Ella,” she cooed, smiling prettily. “What’s your name?”

Max was surprised at her reaction towards Michael, especially after having seen her timidity upon meeting Alex and Kyle earlier that day. He turned to Michael and saw his friend staring at her with curved lips.

“You are a little charmer, aren’t you?” he said begrudgingly. “My name’s Michael.”

“Can I call you Mikey?” she asked adoringly. “I had a hamspter once named Mikey. He had spiky hair, just like yours.”

Max snorted, coughing into his hand as Michael glared at him. “Mikey will do just fine,” Michael growled, jabbing his friend in the ribs.

“Ella, who are you talking to?” Maria popped up behind the little girl, hands on her hips as she addressed her. “How many times have you been told not to open the door…” she trailed off when she caught sight of the two men on the porch. Michael also straightened, staring at her in pleased surprise.

“Auntie ‘Ria, this is my new friend Mikey,” Ella said with flourish. “I named him after my hampster.”

This time Michael’s face turned dark red and Max couldn’t hold back a chuckle. Maria’s lips quirked. “Is that right?” she purred, batting her lashes in a move so reminiscent of Ella that it was no contest to determine where the little girl had learned her art of flirtation.

Clearing his throat, Michael said in an equally low tone, “There is one thing I have in common with those furry critters.”

“Mm… the spiky hair?” Maria parried, edging closer.

“The insatiable appetite,” he returned, eyes darkening with desire until Max cleared his throat. “So, are you going to let us in?”

“What is going on?” Liz’s voice carried through the door. “Why is everyone on the front porch? Oh. Max…”

“Hi, Liz,” he murmured, knowing his face had probably lit up like a candle at the sight of her. “I hope you don’t mind that we dropped by…”

“No, of course not,” she quickly assured him, her gaze traveling towards Michael and Maria. “Um… hmm…”

“This is my friend Michael Guerin,” Max jabbed him in the stomach again, breaking him from the staring contest he was currently engrossed in with Maria. “Michael, this is Liz Parker.”

“We’ve spoken but never had the pleasure of an introduction,” Michael stuck out a hand. “It’s nice to meet you, chere.”

“Guerin…” Liz lightly shook his hand. “Officer Guerin, right?”

“Sure thing,” he winked, turning his attention to Ella as the little girl tugged on his pants. “What’s up, shortstuff?”

“You a police?” Ella asked excitedly. “Do you have a badge?”

“I sure do,” he winked again, and pulled out his wallet to show her.

“Why you keep it in there?” Ella asked, fingering the silver and gold metal with big eyes. “Why dontcha wear it on your shirt?”

Michael squatted on his haunches. “Because I’m off-duty,” he growled playfully. “Even policemen have to have a break, don’t they?”

Ella, eyes wide, nodded solemnly.

“Mike takes his breaks very seriously,” Max joked, smiling at Liz as their eyes met. “So…”

“So,” she cleared her throat. “Um, won’t you all come inside? It’s hot out here.”

“It’s N’awlins, chere,” Maria rolled her eyes, fanning her face dramatically. “When ain’t it hot out here?”

<center>***</center>

“And this is my new Sunday school dress,” Ella bounced into the room, twirling around so that the ruffled hem of her skirt flew around. Max and Michael clapped, serious looks on their faces as they studied the outfit.

“I really like the color,” Michael said from behind a can of coke. “You look mighty pretty in pink, Miss Ella.”

“Thank you,” she made a low curtsey, turning to Max with imploring eyes.

He tapped his chin thoughtfully, drawing out the suspense as she began to grow anxious. “I think…” he let out a sigh and scratched his brow. “I think it’s definitely the best,” he finally grinned and Ella whooped.

“Are you seeing this?” Maria hissed from the kitchen, poking her head around as she watched the two men fawn all over Ella. “My God… that girl is good. She’s got them hunks wrapped around her little finger.”

“Looks to me like Michael can’t quite figure out how it happened,” Liz said wryly, busy arranging a plate of cheese and crackers. “He’s getting a glazed look in his eyes.”

Maria giggled. “Isn’t he just divine?” she moaned lightly. “Mm… I’m telling you, Liz, what I wouldn’t give to go in there and throw him down on the floor and just-“

“Thank you, that’s enough,” Liz said quickly. “Here, help me with this.”

Maria reluctantly drew her gaze away from Michael and turned. “I’m a red-blooded woman, hun. I have needs that need fulfilling. And Officer Guerin might be just the man to perform, if ya know what I mean,” she shot a wink, taking one of the plates.

Liz rolled her eyes. “Well, do your fulfilling somewhere besides my living room floor, please.”

As they walked in the living room, they caught sight of Ella, still dressed in her pink dress and sitting between the two men on the couch as they all watched cartoons on tv.

“Anyone hungry?” Liz asked around the sudden lump in her throat as she noted her sister’s glowing expression. Poor Ella… she’d been without a good male influence since their father had passed away.

Liz rarely dated, and the men she saw either used Ella as a way to get to her or they just treated her with indifference. Angel brought her gifts occasionally, but Liz felt that his charity was more a means of satisfying her than as a way to show affection for Ella.

Which was why it was so hard for her to believe that Max genuinely enjoyed spending time with her sister. But the look of injury on his handsome face as he’d accused her of believing he was using Ella had been imprinted on her mind. Coupled with the way he wrapped his arm protectively around the girl and snuggled her to his side as if it was the most natural thing in the world… some part of her melted inside. “Ella, sweetie go change out of your dress before you eat a snack, okay?”

She nodded and slid off the couch, heading for her room as Max and Michael looked up. Maria set the plates on the coffeetable and Michael leaned forward. “Hey, thanks,” he tossed a cracker in his mouth.

“No problem,” Maria purred.

Max and Liz caught each others eye and shared a grin of mutual amusement at the obvious flirtation between their best friends. Max cleared his throat and casually stated, “So, Liz… what are your plans for tonight?”

“Plans?” she asked hesitantly, glancing at him from under her lashes. “Um… not much, just hanging out with Ella and Maria. It’s our girls night.”

“Girls night, eh?” Michael murmured, cocking a brow as he stared openly at Maria. “Like a pajama party?”

“Sometimes,” Maria answered in a silky voice, returning his hot gaze.

“Oh,” Max nodded. “So I guess you wouldn’t be interested in having dinner with me?”

Liz’s eyes widened and she stared at him. “I… um… dinner?” she croaked, looking at Maria for help.

“She’d love to,” Maria said easily, wrapping an arm around her friend. “It’s about time you went on a date, sweetie. It’ll do you good to get out and have some fun for once.”

“Maria!” she hissed, yanking her arm away. “I have fun, thank you very much.”

“Not the kind you could be having,” Maria mumbled, causing both Max and Liz to blush. “It’s no big deal, I’ll watch Ella for the night.”

“I’m off tonight, if you want some company,” Michael added, brushing crumbs from his hands.

“You want to help babysit?” Max asked with a raised brow. “What happened to ‘I steer clear of them, they stay outta my way’?”

Michael shot him a look. “Sometimes you find one that surprises you,” he grinned as Ella came bouncing back into the room. “C’mere, squirt.”

Ella happily allowed him to pull her into his lap. “Hey!” she giggled as he tugged her ponytail. “Watch it, Mikey.”

Liz shook her head. “I don’t know…” she hedged, biting her lip. This was just happening way too fast.

“I promise I’ll have you back before curfew,” Max teased, taking her arm and pulling her slightly away. “It’s just dinner, Liz.”

Liz stared into his golden eyes and swallowed at the husky hint in his voice. She felt herself nod and whisper, “Okay.”

His lips curled into a pleased smile and she was sure that if they had been alone, he would have kissed her. “Great. I’ll pick you up at seven? I need to get back and take care of a few things first.”

She let out a sigh, surrendering to the extroidinary attraction that enveloped them. “Okay,” she repeated, smiling slightly. “I’ll see you at seven.”

“Sing it again!” Ella’s laughing voice brought them out of their daze. “Do it again, Mikey!”

Michael laughed and started singing the Beausoleil song, Hot Chili Mama. With every refrain he bounced Ella on his knee and she shrieked with excitement.

Max rolled his eyes, a wide grin spreading his lips as he caught sight of them, then his attention was garnered by the reluctant look on Liz’s face. “Hey, you okay?” he asked quietly, noting the sheen in her eyes. “You don’t have to worry about Michael, Liz…” he started hesitantly.

“No, no of course not,” she sniffed, turning away as she wiped her eyes. “I’m sorry… for a minute there it just… reminded me of something.”

Max stayed silent as she excused herself and headed into the bathroom.

<center>TBC...</center>
Last edited by Applebylicious on Thu May 13, 2004 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.