Love always... (POV, Teen) 12/02/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Love always... (POV, Teen) 12/02/11

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey everyone,

After never having done a one shot before, I'm all set to issue two in a matter of months. Some people may not like this one though. Whilst it's Valentines day themed it's also very angsty I'm afriad. It's just something which occured to me and I started typing. I think this is just about following cannon with a few minor tweaks.. and here's what I have. Think of the bold text as a snapshot of a memory and i think it makes sense. I'm currently working on updates for my ongoing fics but I obviously wanted to get this out before the actual date it's itended for. As always, I'd love to hear what you think.

Title: Love Always...
Author: KatnotKath
Rating: Teen
Summary: Just a few thoughts and recollections of a certain young woman. Basically follow the storyline of the show through series 1 but forget about Tess and the nightmares that were series 2 and 3
Disclaimer: The characters and situations are not mine, just asking permission to play with them.

Journal Entry: Valentines Day 2003

Valentines Day, it’s supposed to be one of the happiest days of the year, but not for me…

I’m Liz Parker, and with every year that passes, I feel a little more of my heart die and fade away…The happy times we shared now seem like little more than a dream although there’s not a day goes by I don’t wish I could see you again…

“Hey, I missed you…” Max turned to his girlfriend as she reached his side. Sliding his arms around her back, he drew her into his arms and greeted her with a kiss.

Dropping her bag on the floor for a moment, Liz laughed and melted into his embrace briefly before pulling back with a smile “I wasn’t gone long you know…” Retrieving her bag, she swung the strap over her shoulder as she spoke.

“Long enough… Remind me never to let you go again…” Max returned; a look in his eyes the only clue to the fact he was anything except deadly serious. He smiled and threaded his fingers through hers as they began to wander down the corridor together. “So, do you want to go to a movie tonight…some time, just the two of us…?”

She looked over in surprise. It had been a busy couple of weeks and it was a long while since they had done anything without the rest of the group. Her eagerness was hard to hide. “Sure, I mean, if you’d like…”

“What are you thinking, action or comedy?”

“Isn’t there another possibility…?” Her eyes twinkled in amusement.

Max faked a look of disgust. “You’re not serious... There’s no storyline, you don’t seriously want to watch that do you?”

She smirked and raised an eyebrow in a somewhat suggestive manner. “Who said anything about watching…?”

That certainly got the attention of her boyfriend and caused an alteration in thoughts. He smiled back and nodded. “Right… I take it back then, there’s some possibility there…”

She giggled at the indication of his obvious desire. “Why am I not surprised…?”

“Are you mocking me?” He questioned in mock anger.

Again the brunette laughed and shook her head. “Come on, we’re going to be late!”

“Well if we’re going to be late already then another couple of minutes won’t be important…” Max gestured to a small door and after a brief exchange of looks, the couple quickened their pace they made their way over and slipped inside, the door to the eraser room swinging shut behind them as the bell rang to announce the start of the next lesson.

It’s over five years now since you came into my life on that fateful day at the diner, since you risked everything to save me, and by doing so brought me into your life…

The blood was everywhere, it was so thick and warm and … Liz’s legs buckled beneath her as her body suddenly became heavy. So tired… She laid down her head, only vaguely aware of the chaos which was going on around.

“Liz, Chica, stay with me!” Maria’s face appeared above but her voice seemed faint, as though coming from a distance… The brunette was only half aware of the pressure being applied to her wound as her head rocked back, her eyelids heavy, wanting nothing more than to sleep.

“Lizzy! No, don’t you close those eyes now…” Again she heard Maria’s instant tone but it had little impact as she grew further and further away… So tired… If only she could close her eyes even for just a moment…

“LIZ!”

Another voice joined that of her friend now. It was familiar and yet not all at the same time. Strange… But so far away… Her eyes began to close once more, the last of her energy seeping out quickly through the hole in her stomach. Time was running out fast…

“LIZ!”

Someone was shaking her, pulling her back to the Crashdown. Summoning the last of her strength, she forced her eyes open to find herself looking up at a guy from school. Max…Max Evans… Under normal circumstances she might have laughed – Maria was forever insisting he had a thing for her although she didn’t believe it for one second. On this occasion however, it was all she could do not to close her eyes once more.

“Liz, look at me, please, I need you to look at me!” His tone was insistent, forceful even, but with a touch of desperation thrown in too. “Liz please, I need to see you, open your eyes…?

She barely even registered the fact they had closed once more, but at the instruction attempted to open them again. A weak flutter was as much as she could manage.

Fortunately, it was enough. Suddenly there was a warmth, and a strange sensation originating from the hands which covered her wound. A certain amount of strength returned to her limbs and within moments she was sat up. “Max?”

He didn’t allow her time for questions but simply smashed a bottle of tomato ketchup and poured it all over her dress. “You slipped and fell…”

She nodded dumbly, not knowing what else to say and watched as he ran out of the door.

And that means it’s a little over three years since you left…

“You know I don’t want to do this Liz. If there were any other way I promise you I would use it...” Max turned in his seat to face her, a haunted look in his eyes. His hand reached out for hers, clasping it tightly as he continued. “I love you Liz Parker, and if I had the choice, I would spend the rest of my life with you!”

She let out a ragged breath and shook her head, fighting to maintain her composure and not give into the tears which were threatening to flow. It was only a matter of time of course, they would fall eventually, but the least she could do was to try and make it easier for him. “You can’t though Max, and that’s okay! I know that you have to do this, it’s part of who you are…” The brunette paused a moment before continuing. “Just… Promise me you’ll stay safe…?”

“Oh Liz…” Max leant forward, drawing her into his embrace once more as he held her against his chest, listening to the familiar sound of her breathing and soaking in her strawberry scent. How he was going to miss her…

The last thing that she wanted to do was to pull away. But pull away she had to as she caught sight of the clock and was reminded once more of their ever looming deadline. “Max please, can’t we enjoy tonight…” She whispered softly, her hand clamped around his tightly as though never willing to let go.

Tonight… Their final night… She prayed they could make another couple of memories to treasure in the few hours they had left.

Max was silent for a moment, and then, as he looked at her, he smiled and nodded. “Of course…” He made as though to start up the engine and then stopped again, turning to face his girlfriend once more. “Just one thing…” He reached inside his jacket to pull out a small parcel which he then offered to her with the words, “Something from where I’ll be…”

The words soon fell into place as she released the string and the wrapped paper fell open to reveal the pendant which Isabel had found at Atherton’s. “Max…”

He shook his head, forcing another smile. “Don’t say anything, just remember, I love you… I always have and I always will…” He wanted to say more, but stopped as she burst into tears and he drew her sobbing form into his arms once more.

They say it gets easier with time, but it doesn’t… Perhaps that’s because of what you were, my ONE… I’ve been asked out by other people, even gone on a few dates, but it doesn’t take more than a few minutes for me to realise they’re not you, and as such, it’s never going to be right…

Liz sat at her desk, a book in front of her. The words all merged into one however and made little impact. Glancing over, her gaze caught sight of the picture which still stood at the side of the desk. It was from the carnival, a picture of the two of them from so long ago. Fresh unshed tears hung in the corner of her eyes as she pushed back from the desk and stood.

Wandering towards the window, she pushed up the sill and swung first one leg and then the other outside. Another few moments and she was perched on the chair which stood on the roof outside her window, leaning towards her telescope as she adjusted the knobs and then took a look through the lens.

Even the stars didn’t register however, as her mind took her somewhere much further away, a star far out of sight, to another planet full of life.

I’m not trying to blame you Max; I know you had to leave… I think ever since that day in the cave when we found out who you were, I knew it was inevitable, that one day you would have to leave, but the day it finally happened was still the worst of my life…

“My liege, I know this is a difficult thing to accept, but you are the King and the people need you! Only you can free them from the ruthless iron fist with which Khivar has ruled in your absence. I beg of you, return to us and take your rightful role, return and save your people…”

Max watched the transmission without any sign of emotion. The words seemed almost alien, excuse the pun, and he couldn’t quite believe it was happening…

Beside him, Liz’s hand dropped from his, biting down on her lip as she thought about the true meaning of this message. She was about to loose him…

For a moment, Max banished such thoughts to the back of her mind as he wrapped her tightly in his arms before turning back to the slightly translucent figure in front of them. “We’re not royalty Larek… We’re just kids… We know nothing about what it is to rule a planet and I’m not sure I want to…I-“

“I understand… This is a big shock for all of you I am certain. But the fact remains that we need you! With every passing day, the number in the resistance is lowered as battles wipe out yet more of your still loyal followers. It is only a matter of time before we can no longer put up a fight, until your presence would have little effect…” He turned to look around at the others in the cave. “We need you here now… Your people need you…”

“Is there no other way? No one else who could stand in our stead…” Max continued to try and come up with alternatives, suggesting first one, and then another possible route to avoid the inevitable…

I couldn’t, and wouldn’t ask you to forsake the duty and obligation you felt to your people… My heart felt as though it was breaking, but I knew this was something you had to do. I fell for a reincarnated alien king, and that King was needed…

Liz already realised the truth… She blinked and looked over at him sadly, drawing her hand away from his as she gestured towards the figure who had been speaking. “Max, I know you… You need to do this, and that’s okay…” She forced herself to nod and smile. “I won’t take it personally, I promise…”

The day had finally arrived, the day when he was going to leave… It was all she could do not to crumple right there in front of him but instead, she forced herself to remain strong and firm as she began to ask questions of Larek, pressing for details as to how this might work.

And you’ll be doing a fine job I’m sure, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still wish that you could have done that job here, with me…

Michael chose to stay for Maria. He wasn’t the King though and he had that choice. I know deep down that you would have done the same if you could, but that doesn’t stop me from missing you, and I do…

Every second, of every minute, of every hour of every day, I’m missing something, and that something is always you…

Liz sat down on the bed, an open photo album in front of her. First one, then another and another photo was removed, taking it out to study. All bringing memories of their few short years together, all reminding her of what she had once shared.

There was a picture of the prom, of the six of them. It had been a special night…

Rising from her seat, she crossed the room and opened the door to her closet. Reaching inside, she pulled out the dress which she had worn for that happy evening, drawing the silk close as she remembered how he had held and kissed her.

A special night indeed… She smiled softly as she returned to the bed and set the garment down in front of her. Another picture just of the two of them this time. A night at the movies, a meal at Senor Chows, the night he had first climbed up to her balcony…

Another pause and she reached inside her shirt as another memory hit, clasping the pendant tightly in her hand almost as though she felt she could make him return through it. Something from where he’ll be… She closed her eyes and wondered silently what he was doing now…

I’ve tried to move on in some ways, focused on studying, graduated well, but the strange thing is perhaps that after everything I’ve done, I’m back here, sitting on the balcony above the Crashdown in Roswell, writing in this diary just as I have every year, thinking of you…

Toni at college joked about me having a hot date tonight, but in some ways she’s right – I have a hot date with my past, with memories of happier times, to think about you and remember the few wonderful months we had when everything seemed right…

For I’ll never forget Max, and I know now, no one will ever replace you in my heart…

I look up from my diary which has become in past years more like letters, all addressed to Max, pouring out my feelings, my thoughts, remembering and longing, a place to reveal my dreams, where no one is going to judge…

Everyone tells me that I have to move on – even Maria as time as passed. Of course that’s easy for her to say – the love of her life is still here. In fact, he proposed at Christmas, they’re getting married in the fall. It’s strange isn’t it…? They’re getting everything I dreamed of, our happy-ever-after

Some days I find myself wishing that I had never met you, wondering what it would be like. Would I still be with Kyle, would I be happy, married, maybe we’d even have children.

I can’t think like that for too long though, because much as it hurts now, as much as I miss you terribly, at least I know what it’s like to really love someone. To have gone through my life without knowing you, without experiencing that…

I knew you all through school, we were lab partners in bio since we started high school, but you were my friend for three years, and continue to be my love. Deep down I know I wouldn’t give up a moment of the time we had by choice.

And so I remember… I sit and write to him, imagining that he might ‘hear’ me, and I remember times we had.

Max Evans, alien King and the love of my life. Looking up into the stars, thinking of you, sending all my love, now and always. I’ll never forget you…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!