Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE) 10/29/15 COMPLETE

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE), Ch 35 7/12/15 p. 21

Post by begonia9508 »

I am quite sure that the FBI doesn't know a lot about them! All together, they can certainly do a lot of things and even escape! Running is not the best idea but organising their depart could be the solution! At least, it is what I am hoping for!... :?

Waiting impatiently for more! EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE), Ch 35 7/12/15 p. 21

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Please come back and post more really really soon? I can't wait to find out what Max, Liz and others are going to do.

L-J-L 76
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

Chapter 36

Post by max and liz believer »

Roswelllostcause - Yep, you are right on all points :D Thank you for the feedback!
L-J-L 76 - Thank you :D (and thank you for the bump! :D :D )
saori_1902 - Thank you :D
Carolyn (keepsmiling7) - Liz will (are already) appreciate what Max has done (and sacrificed) to help her. Thank you for the feedback!
Eve (begonia9508) - You're right. The FBI is grasping at straws, at best. But it's not a good thing that the group has attracted the federal attention; they really can't "mess up" now that they have eyes on them. Thank you for the feedback!

Previously on "Lethal Whispers"...

Liz was attacked by David Perkins, her work colleague. Max saved her. He used a force field in doing so, which was noted by David Perkins before he passed out due to his body harshly slamming into a bricked wall. An agent from the FBI by the name of Joel Martin has noted some abnormalities in the background checks of Max, Isabel, Michael and Tess, and has just questioned David Perkins (who told him about the green light he saw just before passing out), Liz (who covered for Max the best she could) and Max (who tried to give the impression that he was just a Regular Joe, having been at the right place at the right time to save Ms. Parker) about the assault on Liz Parker.

The group had a meeting in the last chapter, discussing the agent's visits and what they should do with this development. It was decided that they would run, but that they would prepare carefully before doing so - as to rise as few suspicions as possible.

Plus, Maria and Michael found out that they were pregnant.

CHAPTER 36
Alex

“Long time, no see.” Maybe the statement was a bit harsh, but Alex couldn’t stop the bitterness from spilling out when he opened the door for his friend Liz.

She smiled at him guilty and opened her mouth to say something when he noticed a faint discoloration over her nose, across her cheek. Like an almost non-existent bruise. Or a very old bruise.

“Jesus, Liz. What happened?”

She closed her mouth again and the guilty expression returned. “Can I come in?”

“Sure, sure,” he said quickly, stepping to the side to let her pass. He took the coat off her frame and couldn’t stop himself from staring at her as she brushed her hair back and surveyed the apartment.

“You’ve redecorated,” she noted with a faint smile.

He wouldn’t let her beat around the bush on this one. “What happened to your face, Lizzie?”

She started worrying her bottom lip and entered the living area of his apartment. “I’m sorry I haven’t been in touch, Al, but it’s been… a couple of crazy weeks.”

“Did someone hit you?” He was following her slender shape into the dimly lit living area, noticing that she still looked thin, still appeared frail.

“I have a lot to tell you,” she said quietly and sank down on his sofa.

“Okay,” he mumbled apprehensively and took a seat next to her.

She folded her legs underneath her and after a deep inhalation of air, she started telling her story. Of how the man that she initially been afraid of at work had attacked her on her way home one evening. How he had tried to rape her and possibly even kill her. How the brother of one of her colleagues had happened to be close by (what were the chances?), had heard her distress call and come to her rescue. She assured Alex that her assailant was in custody, awaiting trial.

Liz went on to offer reasons as to why she had been MIA these last couple of weeks and told stories of this tight-knitted group of friends she had become involved in.

But the oddest thing was how she finished her story-telling, “Just, don’t tell anyone that I’m hanging out with them.”

Alex frowned. “Why’s that a secret?”

“The investigators of the case are trying to claim that Max was in on the assault or something. They’re trying to make it sound as a negative thing that I knew Max beforehand.”

Alex was confused. “Why would that be a negative thing?”

Liz shrugged. “Beats me. But apparently David has been telling really weird stuff about my rescue, trying to make it sound as if he’s the victim. That Max abused him or something.”

Alex could feel the heat of anger ignite again from having temporarily cooled since he first learnt that Liz’s life had been threatened. “Well, he had it coming. Had it been me, he wouldn’t have been alive right now.”

Liz smiled at him fondly. “Thanks, Alex. Let’s be glad it wasn’t you then or you’d probably be up for a murder trial right now.”

There was a silent pause before Alex murmured, “Fuck,” rose to his feet and pulled aggravated hands through his bushy brown hair. “You could’ve died, Lizzie. What the hell is wrong with the world? It was not even night, for Christ’s sake! It happened in the early evening!”

She grimaced. “I know.”

He inhaled deeply, trying to get his emotions back in check. Turning to her, he looked at her grimly. “I’m just grateful that you’re alright. That someone heard you. Even if those fuckwit investigators are trying to hold it against you. What are they thinking anyway? I thought the law was on your side here? And you even got a witness to collaborate your story!”

Liz nodded. “Yeah.”

Alex frowned at her lack of response. “Aren’t you upset? I’m not the one having been assaulted here, but I feel betrayed by the system.”

She looked tired all of the sudden, averting her eyes. “What can I do about it? I’ve done everything I can to explain the event, to express to them how grateful I am to Max and how David Perkins is lying, trying to save his own ass. It’s out of my control.”

Alex clenched his fists. “Have you got a lawyer?”

She looked guilty again and it wasn’t like solving the problem of world starvation to figure out why. “That’s kinda why I’m here.”

He ignored the fact that she was here for a favor, rather than hanging out after weeks of nothing. Not a phone call, an email, nothing. He tried to ignore the sting of her needing his father more than her friend. “I’ll ask him.”

Her expression turned relieved. “Thank you.”
Agent Joel Martin

“Joel.”

Agent Martin looked up from his computer screen at the young man, Andy, standing in the doorway. Andy was one of Joel’s good friends, as well as colleague.

Joel frowned at Andy’s hurried appearance. “Yeah?”

“Boss wants to see you.” There was something incredulous in Andy’s look and Joel matched that feeling. It was not every day you were called into the Assistant Director’s office.

“Right now?” Joel tried not to let the nervousness show. He had a feeling what the meeting was going to be about. It was not like he had spent the last couple of weeks researching data, like he normally did.

“Yeah,” Andy nodded and gave him a strange look as Joel rose from his seat and passed him. “What did you do, man?”

Joel remained cool and shrugged nonchalantly. “It's probably just about my investigation.”

“Sure,” Andy nodded, unconvinced.

Joel decided that the conversation had reached its natural end and left the office to head down the long corridor, paneled with dark wood and photo frames depicting important FBI-persons. While getting into the elevator that would bring him up a couple of levels, he considered the speech he had been preparing these last couple of weeks. Because he’d always known that this day would come. He had, after all, not exactly been following protocol.

Before entering the adjoining office to the director’s office, Joel took a deep breath and let it rustle through him before turning the handle on the glass door.

The blonde secretary look up and the words froze on his lips as she said without preamble, “AD Jackson is expecting you, Agent.”

He swallowed the words with a sheepish smile and nodded. “Okay.”

After a quick rap with his knuckles against the door, Joel entered into the impressive office of his superior.

Assistant Director Stephen Jackson was an impressive man, as impressive as his office. He had lost almost all the hair on his head, the remaining strands were shaved off every fortnight. His face was angular and strong, with deep-seated dark blue eyes and a slightly crooked nose, which had been broken five times already. The man was not overweight, but his size gained immediate superficial respect. As an old boxer, he was stocky with previously well-trained muscles. Gaining his position within the Bureau had cut back on his weight-lifting, but he still had to pump iron at least four times per week.

Some might call it an addiction, Stephen Jackson called it an essential part of living.

“Agent Martin,” AD Jackson said, his intelligent eyes following the younger agent’s walk into his office. He inclined his head towards one of the large leather armchairs on the opposite side of his mahogany desk. “Please. Have a seat.”

“Assistant Director Jackson,” Joel acknowledged politely and took a seat, refraining from putting his palms against the armrests, fearing that his hand sweat would leave moist imprints against the leather. Instead he placed his hands on his lap.

“I’m going to cut right to the chase here, Agent Martin,” AD Jackson’s voice was deep, making Joel think of a lion.

“Of course, sir,” Agent Martin said.

The assistant director looked down at a folder in front of him. “It’s come to my knowledge that you’ve been using a lot of the Bureau’s money on traveling lately. Well, perhaps not a lot, but more than you are supposed to in your position. Trips to Boston, apparently. But according to our colleagues at the Boston field office, you didn’t spend a vast amount of time there. So…” The director’s eyes were digging into Joel as he closed the folder and leaned back in his enormous chair. “What have you been up to, Agent Martin?”

Joel cleared his throat, “Well, sir. Actually, I’ve been investigating a case…”

His superior raised one eyebrow in curiosity. “Is that so?”

Joel hesitated, knowing that the man was trying to bust him. “I know that I wasn’t supposed to-“

“Aha,” AD Jackson nodded, folding the muscular arms, as big as tree trunks, over his chest.

“- but during my regular assignments I came upon some suspicious activity which I couldn’t ignore.”

AD Jackson chose not to comment on this, his bright eyes unnerving.

“I suspect you know about the Mogul Project, sir,” Joel continued.

The director’s response was to wordlessly lift one eyebrow and Joel felt increasingly unsure of himself due to the silence his superior was giving him. In a way, it would have been easier if he had been yelled at. As it was now, Joel had troubles reading AD Jackson’s reactions.

“Well, I’ve found information pertaining to that project, of unusual activity involving certain individuals, whose…” Joel stumbled on the word, “earthly status could be questioned - should be questioned, sir.”

“Aha,” the assistant director voiced.

Joel unconsciously wrung his hands on his lap. “There are reasons to believe that these individuals possess…” Joel licked his lips in the search of the appropriate term, “abilities that could threaten our national security. I saw it only as my duty to investigate it fu-“

Assistant Director Jackson held up one silencing finger, cutting Joel’s monologue straight off. Joel swallowed as the director leaned forward in his chair with a sigh. “Agent Martin. Do you realize the trouble you’ve caused?”

Joel swallowed and leaned forward in his seat to defend himself. “Sir, I-“

The director held up his finger again, his eyes burrowing into Joel disapprovingly. “As one of the arms of the government, we have certain obligations to the American people. We are to uphold the law and protect human rights.” The director paused and sighed tiredly, “We are not to fuel the public’s possible conspiracy theories nor are we to bring suspicion to the tasks of the Bureau, indirectly damaging our reputation. Which could mean that we, in the future, might find it hard to carry out our job if the general public distrusts our role in their society.”

“But sir, I-“

AD Jackson slowly shook his head, cutting off Joel anew. In a cold voice, he said, “You’d be wise to hold your tongue, Agent Martin.”

Joel felt the shade of mortification spread up his throat and across his face, an apology ready on his lips, but afraid to voice it.

“Going around accusing human beings of having a questionable…” The director frowned. “How did you put it?” Before Joel could answer, the director filled in, his lips tight, “…’earthly’ status is a ridiculous thing to do, which doesn’t only put the Bureau in jeopardy but makes me question your sanity, Agent Martin, and if it would be appropriate for a person like yourself to continue his work here.”

“Sir, I-“

The director cut him off again. “You are not in a position to carry out investigations on your own, agent. And even if you wanted to, you have to clear it with me first.” Taking a deep breath, the director released Joel from the grip of his gaze and opened the folder in front of him. Picking up a pen, he glanced up at Joel, “So… who have you talked to during this investigation of yours? Where exactly have you been and did this investigation of yours actually end up somewhere?”

Joel hesitated before he told his superior everything. He told of the interviews with Elizabeth Parker, Max Evans and David Perkins. He told of the case concerning Elizabeth Parker and the awaiting trail. He told of the question marks in David Perkins’ account of the incident and of Max Evans’ unusual background. He talked about the recovery of a girl named Maria DeLuca and the suspicious upbringing of Michael Guerin and Theresa Harding. He confessed to have surveilled Theresa Harding, but without finding anything significant to the case.

When he was done talking, the assistant director being quiet throughout the whole account - only occasionally writing a word or two in the folder - Joel Martin’s superior looked at him with speculative eyes for a very long minute before closing the folder in front of him.

“Agent Martin.” He seemed to hesitate, a motion that looked out of place on the confident large man’s face. “You will be reprimanded for breaking the rules. I should really suspend you, but I agree that there are details to this investigation of yours that doesn’t add up. As I mentioned before, it is of vast importance to the Bureau to protect the citizens of America by seeing to it that justice prevails. It is therefore just as important that we follow up on any possible suspicion of,” the director licked his lips, as if the following word tasted badly, “foreign activity. Maybe these…individuals only have unusual abilities. But since there is a small risk that they are not entirely human, we must investigate further.”

Joel was shocked. He really hadn’t expected the assistant director to believe him, let alone take him seriously. He had mostly fought to not lose his job, but it seemed that the Mogul project was indeed still alive and even though it wasn’t generally known to his colleagues at the Bureau, the people further up the chain seemed to be very aware of the purpose of the project.

“I will not forget your insubordination, Agent Martin. You will be reprimanded as deemed fitted after this case is closed. But for now, you’ll be put in the delicious limbo of having to wait,” the director almost smiled and Joel swallowed a grimace of unease. “A man will be contacting you, Agent Martin. You will not pursue any more investigations on your own and are to pause your efforts until you’ve been contacted. Is that understood?”

Joel nodded mutely.

“Good,” AD Jackson said, raising from the chair and extending his hand. “I’m looking forward to your report, agent. It shall, if nothing else, be an interesting read.”

Joel swallowed and forced a thin smile onto his lips. “Of course, sir. Understood, sir.”
Max

Don’t Run Yet.

Max stared at the piece of note in his hand.

Don’t Run Yet.

Ice was slicing through his body and he reached for the envelope which had contained the note. Nothing. Turning it over and over, he still found nothing on the envelope. No sender. No recipient. Someone must have put it directly into his mailbox.

Someone that knew of their plans.

Tess.

He relaxed somewhat as soon as the name entered his mind. Maybe it was just Tess. Even though they didn’t really trust her yet, she was still one of them. Which was a better scenario than having a stranger knowing that they were planning to run, because that might mean that said stranger also knew about them - who they were.

He fumbled for the phone in his back pocket and scrolled through his contact list.

Tess Harding.

Dialing the number and waiting for Tess to pick up, he turned the small piece of paper over and over in his hand, getting increasingly paranoid by the second.

“Max.”

He started at the voice, ripped from his disastrous trail of thought. “Tess. Hi.”

“I didn’t expect you to call,” the voice answered, turning softer by each syllable. “But I’m happy you did.”

“Did you send me a note?”

His abrupt out-of-the-blue question was answered with a moment of silence before, “What do you mean?”

“I’ve got an unmarked envelope in my mailbox containing a one-sentence note.”

“What does it say?” her voice had changed from borderline sultry to analytic and demanding.

Isabel had been placed with the task of informing Tess of their plans of running away at the group’s latest meeting. Even though none of them really knew Tess, she deserved to know their plans since it was alien-related. Max hoped now that Isabel had completed her task and Tess was in the known. Otherwise this conversation would take much longer.

“‘Don’t run yet.’”

“Hmm,” Tess scoffed and her lack of confusion confirmed that Isabel had done her job. “Do you recognize the handwriting?”

“It’s written on a computer.”

“Maybe we could get a DNA-sample from the glue on the envelope,” Tess suggested and Max had a completely other type of chill run through him. He wondered, for not the first time, how much Tess knew and her methods to attain the knowledge.

Max lifted the envelope again and noticed the Scotch tape along the seal. “It doesn’t appeared to be licked. It’s taped.”

“Fingerprints on the tape,” Tess offered.

Max held the envelope up to the light to observe the tape strips. They seemed clean. No residues of oily fingerprints. “I can’t see any.”

“Huh,” Tess said.

“So I presume it wasn’t you,” Max filled in.

“You thought it was me?” Tess asked.

“Yeah.”

“Why go through all the theatrics when I could just call you? Besides, I’m kinda with your obtrusive friend Michael on that one; I think running as soon as possible is the best option.”

“Isabel talked to you?” Max asked, mostly as a means of confirming his suspicions.

“Yeah, she let me in on your discussion,” Tess said reservedly. “And I told her that I’d think about it. But having thought about it, I don’t see anything holding me here, so I’m in. Whenever you decide to make a run for it, let me know.”

Max didn’t feel particularly elated about the news, but he wasn’t surprised either. Besides, she deserved to be a part of the group. He couldn’t seclude her on the basis that she hadn’t been part of their group from the start.

“Especially since you’re getting mysterious notes. Sounds like someone is trying to keep you here, possibly to increase their chances of capturing you.”

Max had thought about that. The probability of the note having been written by an enemy was much greater than it having been written by a friend. “Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind.”

“Well, I didn’t write it. So maybe you should take it up with your group,” Max didn’t fail to notice her sarcastic tone, “and get back to me in case you opt for leaving sooner rather than later.”

Without a word of goodbye, the conversation was disconnected, leaving Max staring at the mysterious note.

Don’t Run Yet.
Isabel

“Are you serious?” she looked at Maria’s face hopefully. “I’m going to be an aunt?”

“Something like that,” Michael said from the kitchen, referring to the fact that they didn’t really know if Max, Isabel and Michael were actually biologically related.

Maria ignored Michael’s input and nodded, fresh tears brimming in her eyes. “Yes. I peed on like seven thousand sticks.”

Isabel felt pure joy spread throughout her body, which erupted in a high-pitched squeal before she grabbed Maria and hugged her tightly. Even though Isabel couldn’t see them, she was almost certain that Max and Michael shared an eye roll at the girls’ behavior.

“Is it safe?” Max asked seriously, which put an immediate damper on Isabel’s joy.

She pulled back from Maria and lovingly put a strand of blonde hair behind the ear of the girl who was carrying her niece or nephew. “Of course it’s safe. It’s the way of nature.”

“Well, our way of nature might not be the same as humans,” Max pointed out and Isabel felt irritation grow in her pool of happiness.

Snapping her eyes to her brother, she said tensely, “Don’t ruin this, Max.”

“It’s okay, Isabel,” Maria smiled at her gently and looked up at Max. “Of course we don’t know if it’s safe. We don’t know if it’s a normal baby or even if I’ll be able to carry it to term.”

Isabel glanced over at Michael, who looked certifiably nervous. Noticing Isabel’s look, Michael interjected, “If we notice that the baby is hurting Maria in any way, we’ll abort it.”

Max seemed placated by this. “Okay.”

“Really?” Isabel inquired, looking at Maria’s face closely. “You sure? What if you won’t be able to make that decision in 3 or 5 months?”

“I’ll make it for her,” Michael said and his voice was the most determined Isabel had ever heard it. She looked at Michael and realized that he wouldn’t let anything hurt Maria. Not even his own child.

“We want you to do the checks, Max,” Maria said softly.

“We can’t take her to the doctor,” Michael clarified even though he really didn’t have to. They all knew that secrecy was pertinent in this matter.

“Of course,” Max answered with a small smile.

“You’d be the perfect mid-wife,” Maria said, lighting up and Isabel had to hold back a giggle at the paleness that slammed down on Max’s face.

“Wait a minute… I didn’t agree to deliver the child,” he stammered.

Isabel and Maria laughed. Even Michael looked amused.

Walking up to Max, Michael dunked Max good-heartedly in the back. “You’ll do just fine, Maxwell.”

But Max looked ready to faint, which had Isabel fold her arms around the middle against the pain her laughter was starting to cause her. It was good to laugh. Especially after the last horrible weeks they’ve been through. This baby was already doing them good.

TBC...
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE), Ch 36 7/15/15 p. 22

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great Chapter!!!! Please please please please please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max, Liz and friends. Wow Alex needs to calm down and be happy Liz came to him. I wonder if Alex's dad will be able to help Liz. I still don't know what to think of Tess. Wow Maria pregnant. I hope Maria will be able to have the baby. Max a mid wife now that is really funny :lol: Who is the note from? Is it from Liz? Will Max and Liz talk again? Will Isabel, Michael and Maria be nice to Liz? Will Alex's father help Liz? Will Liz tell Max what she was up to? Will Max, Isabel, Michael, Maria and Tess leave? Will Max take Liz? Will Liz stay? Will Liz go into hiding? Will the FBI get Liz? Will Max save Liz? Will Max and Liz get caught? Will Max and Liz kiss? Will Max and Liz admit their feeling to each other? Will Max and Liz sleep together? Will Liz get pregnant? Will Max, Liz, Isabel, Michael, Maria and Tess be safe? Will Max, Liz, Michael, Maria, Isabel and Tess fight back? Will Max, Liz, Maria Michael, Isabel and Tess all have a happy ending together? Will Max and Liz get married? Will Max and Liz have kids? Will Michael and Maria get married? Will Liz and Tess meet? What will happen when
Liz and Tess meet? Will Tess get Liz to leave Max? Will Max let Liz leave him? So sorry for the questions but I was just wondering. Please please please please please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max, Liz, Michael, Maria, Isabel and Tess.
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

OK who is sending Max notes? I don't know what to think of that AD of the FBI. Maria is pregnant! I personally wouldn't mind having Max as either my doctor or midwife. Liz wouldn't have to worry! He would just be my eye candy!
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
saori_1902
Addicted Roswellian

Post by saori_1902 »

wow!!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Alex really had a surprise when he visited Liz.
Yes, David had been telling weird stories.....but I was surprised Agent Martin got the okay to investigate further.
That's a mysterious note that Tess didn't write........what's going on??
Thanks,
Carolyn
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Great part! First, Maria wouldn't even be pregnant, if they were NOT compatible... :roll:
The human body can get pregnant only by another similar to the human one, in the genes parts!

Loved Alex and Liz's encounters... and waiting impatiently for more! EVE :mrgreen:
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by max and liz believer »

L-J L 76 - Thank you for the feedback :D
Roswelllostcause - Haha :lol: Max as your midwife...yeah, that would be great, wouldn't it? Thank you for the feedback!
saori_1902 - Thank you :D
Carolyn (keepsmiling7) - The assistant director just wants to make sure that he's not missing something. It's not really that he actually believes agent Martin, but he needs to be sure. So he gave the green light for further investigations. For the moment at least. Thank you for the feedback!
Eve (begonia9508) - Thank you for the feedback!

Previously on "Lethal Whispers"...

After Liz was attacked by David Perkins, a FBI-agent has been on Max, Isabel, Tess and Michael's trail. Because of that, they have decided to run - in an orderly fashion. And they'll probably take Liz with them.

Simultaneously, Max got a mysterious note saying "Don't Run" and Maria and Michael found out that they were pregnant.

CHAPTER 37
Max

He looked at the red-brimmed eyes of his colleague with concern. “Are you okay?”

She looked away self-consciously and rubbed at her eyes. “It’s nothing.”

Max frowned. “You’re sure? If you need to talk-“

She met his eyes and smiled, the smile an odd contrast to the vacant mournful expression in her eyes. “I’m fine, Max. Thank you.”

He gave her a second look and couldn’t help but worry. His EMT partner was the pillar of strength. He had never seen her break down, even though they’d had their fair amount of emotionally devastating call outs. She was normally the epitome of intelligence and calmness, of serenity. This was a side of her that he had never anticipated to encounter.

“Do you want me to drive?”

Melissa hesitated, then nodded. “Yes, thank you.”

They jumped into the ambulance and Max stole a glance in her direction before igniting the engine. Something had happened. Something terrible. Melissa had never been very open about her family or friends, of anything outside of work. Maybe someone close to her had died.

As he turned onto the street, Max hoped that she might change her mind and confide in him, giving him a chance to perhaps ease her sorrow.
Liz

What do you pack when going on the run? What do you pack when going into hiding from the government with a group of aliens? She was pretty sure those questions wouldn’t come up on Jeopardy any time soon. She looked at the picture frame of her parents that she had just put on top of her suitcase.

“What do I tell you?” she asked the photograph of her father. Her father, with whom she spoke almost once per day. Her father that, since the death of his wife, Liz’s mother, seemed to live for his daughter. He had lost a lot of the friends he had shared with his wife, burying himself in his work until his daughter had called him out.

She had to tell him something. Leaving without a word would destroy him. She let her fingers wander across the framed photograph as she dialed Max’s number.

“Liz? Is something wrong?”

She smiled at his concern and at the warmth it spread in her body. “I need to talk.”

“Sure,” he sounded relieved. “What’s up?”

She bit her lip. “I need to see you.”

“Liz…” he said with a twinge of warning.

“I know,” Liz whispered. “It’s not safe.” She looked at the smiling face of her father next to the smiling face of her mother in the photo. They looked so young, so happy. “But I need to see you.”

“Are you okay?”

She hadn’t realized that she was crying until he called her upon her quiet sniffles. Embarrassed, she wiped the tears from her eyes and tried to clean her voice from the signs of sadness. “Could we meet somewhere? Somewhere safe?”

He sounded regretful, “There’s no such place.” There was a pause and Liz hoped that he would give in, even though she knew that it was foolish of them to meet in person. People might be watching.

“I don’t want to talk about this over the phone.” Could mobile phones be tapped? Liz closed her eyes tiredly. When had she started to exhibit paranoid tendencies?

“I’ll be right over,” Max said quietly. “Leave your bedroom window unlocked and turn off your bedroom light.”

“Okay,” Liz whispered. “Thank you.”

He disconnected the call and she pressed the phone to her chest, wishing that time would speed up so that the twelve minutes it would take him to get to her apartment would only be twelve seconds.
11 minutes later, there was a gentle rap on her bedroom window. Feeling like a teenager who was about to let her secret boyfriend into her bedroom after hours, Liz pushed the window open. Max climbed through with ease (as if he’d spent a lifetime covertly crawling through girls’ windows after the fall of darkness) and straightened up to his full length in front of Liz. Before she had a chance to utter a syllable, he had mildly taken a hold of her chin and guided her face up towards his. An uncontrolled tremor rushed through her, spreading goosebumps in its wake at the touch.

“You okay?”

She nodded mutely, large eyes staring at his troubled face. He appraised her face for a long pause before he seemed to become aware of the threshold he had crossed and abruptly let his hand fall away from her face.

“Good,” he mumbled and turned to close the window.

“I’m sorry for calling you out here,” Liz whispered, her mouth suddenly dry.

He turned back to face her, his facial features soft. “Don’t apologize.”

She didn’t know she was worrying her bottom lip until his thumb came up to cover her mouth. She froze, her lungs stilling.

“Don’t,” he whispered, his face a breath from hers.

“Sorry,” she said automatically and his finger slipped from her lip. She could smell him all around her, making the recommencement of her breathing more difficult. His eyes were piercing, the dimness of the bedroom casting dark shadows across the lines of his face.

“You wanted to talk to me about something,” he breathed and she tried to get her mind to work again. She felt flushed, heat pumping through every inch of her body.

“You’re packing? Already?” His eyes never left hers, so she wasn’t sure when he had noticed, but she managed to get her head to move in something similar to a nod.

“Yeah.” She swallowed, trying to clear her throat. “I want to be prepared.”

A small smile started to play at the corners of his mouth and Liz forgot to breathe again. “The plan is to not leave suddenly. You’ll have time to pack.”

But there was a shake of uncertainty to his voice, telling Liz that he wasn't telling the whole truth. She decided to let it slide. For the moment.

“I just want to be prepared,” Liz repeated and realized what she had said, hinting that she wasn’t ready to leave her life here. Hit with embarrassment she dropped her eyes.

“Hey,” Max murmured, a finger under her chin guiding her eyes up to meet his again. “Are you sure you want to come with?”

Now more than ever, she thought as she nodded. She couldn’t leave him. “That’s what I need to talk to you about.” A veil came down in his expressive warm golden eyes and Liz hurried to add, “I’m coming with you, I just…”

He relaxed and took a step back, substantiating what she had suspected; he wanted her to come along as much as she did.

She gestured towards her open suitcase and the piles of clothes on the bed. “What do I tell people? How do I explain why I’m leaving?”

He got an uncomfortable look in his eyes and turned around to close the drapes to her windows. She watched him in silence, unconsciously biting her lip again. After pulling the last drape, Max went to switch on the small lamp on her bedside table. It cast a meager light across his face as he sank down on the edge of her bed.

“I don’t know,” he mumbled and there was something tormenting across his features.

“I don’t know if I can fake my own death,” Liz said quietly, wringing her hands nervously. “I couldn’t do that to my father. He’s already lost my mom. I don’t think he can lose me too.”

His eyes were filled with anguish and sorrow as he looked up at her. “Whatever we decide to tell him, you might never come back. Once we leave, you might as well be dead to the people you leave behind. On paper, you won’t be you anymore.”

Liz could feel tears forming at the back of her eyes and she looked skywards, damning her emotions. She had promised herself that she wouldn’t break down. She wanted this. She wanted to leave with Max.

“I know,” she said weakly, trying to control her voice. “But anything would be better than him thinking I’m dead. If we’d only have communication over the phone in the future, that’s fine. Even if I’d go under another name. As long as he knows I’m alive.”

Max looked at her for a long second before saying quietly, “I can’t guarantee that. You have to understand that, Liz.”
She understood that. Of course she did. Didn’t make the decision any easier though. She was choosing between family and love. Normalcy and insecurity. Human and alien.

Max’s words filled in the silence. “You don’t have to decide yet. It’s a big decision. You’re not forced to do this. Not like the rest of us.”

“But I’m in danger. Just like you.”

He looked away and Liz watched the muscles in his jaw contract. “We’ll find another way to protect you.” He looked back at her. “You shouldn’t be forced to do this.”

How could she explain to him that she desperately wanted to go with him? How could she show him that the dilemma was not if she wanted to go, but of the people she was leaving behind?

Deciding to momentarily steer away from the topic that was making him uncomfortable, Liz posed, “How about I go on a lengthy trip around the world? Join the circus? Join the space shuttle program?” He offered her a weak smile, so she pressed on, “There must be a thousand reasons to supposedly drop off the Earth without having to ‘die’.”

“Yeah, but even if you were to join the circus, you’d have to exist. There would have to be records.”

“Only to the bureaucrats,” Liz insisted. “This is what I would tell my family, my friends; that I’ve joined the circus or whatever.” She sank down next to him on the bed. “While in reality, on paper, I would not exist.”

Max seemed to contemplate this. In silence he reached out for her hand resting between them on the bed and took it gently in his hand. She held her breath.

Max looked up at her and nodded, “It might work.”

She didn’t know that she had so much invested on his agreement before he threw her a bone and she felt her whole body relax. A shuddering laugh of relief escaped her. “Good.”

He nodded absent-mindedly, his eyes returned to their hands as he slowly moved his thumb back and forth against the soft patch of skin between her thumb and index finger. “Maria’s pregnant.”

His announcement was so quiet she was unsure that he had actually said what she believed he had said. “Sorry?”

Max looked up at her, concern etched into every facet of his expression. “Maria and Michael are expecting.”

Liz frowned, but couldn’t stop the feeling of elation deep inside her womanhood. “How’s that… Is that even possible?”

Max shrugged with a wistful smile. “I guess so.”

“That’s great, isn’t it?” Liz asked tentatively, trying to gauge his reaction. Should she be happy or sad about this piece of information?

Max nodded, squeezing her hand. “Yeah. It’s a miracle, really. We never thought we could reproduce.”

His assessment was clinical at best, but it left Liz with hopes of the future. She couldn’t stop her mind from going places. She couldn’t stop herself from entertaining the thought that she might someday bear the child of the man holding her hand right now. Which was a ridiculous notion, since they were only friends. But there was a look in Max’s eyes as he was watching her for her reaction to the news that made her suspect that Max feelings were not that platonic either.

“That’s incredible,” Liz whispered.

“It means that we have to move a bit sooner,” Max said. “We want to be settled and certain that we are safe before the baby comes. Besides, we don’t even know if this pregnancy is going to be normal. If the child is going to arrive sooner - or later.”

“Right,” Liz nodded and looked down at the interlaced hands. “How much sooner?”

“We have to leave in four weeks. Maximum.”

Liz felt her heart hammering against her ribs. A month. Four weeks to say goodbye to her life.

“But…”

She looked up at his uncertain interjection and prompted, “But what?”

“I’ve received a note from an anonymous source.”

Liz unconsciously squeezed his fingers. This couldn’t be good.

“I’ve discussed it with the guys and I even asked Tess if she knew about it, but no one has any idea where it came from.”

“What did it say?” Liz said thinly.

“‘Don’t run yet’,” Max answered.

Liz felt a chill run through her. “And you don’t know who wrote it?”

“It could be a friend or a foe,” Max answered, watching her closely.

“Either someone that wants to keep you here for good reasons or bad,” Liz filled in.

Max nodded. “Exactly.”

“Can we afford the risk?”

Max shook his head desolately, “Not now. Not when Maria’s pregnant.”

“So we have to leave? Soon?”

“Within the month,” Max confirmed.

Liz looked around the disarray of her pre-packed bedroom. “Maybe it’s not too soon to start packing then.”

Max lifted their joined hands to his mouth and pressed a soft kiss against her knuckles. She felt her mouth go dry.

“Don’t worry. I won’t come and suddenly whisk you away in the middle of the night”, he said. “You’ll have time.”

Liz locked eyes with him, one single clear thought running through her mind, Please, whisk me away in the middle of the night.

TBC...
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Lethal Whispers (ML, MATURE), Ch 37 7/19/15 p. 22 (bott

Post by begonia9508 »

Really great part!

Liz really should wait, until they are on their way, to inform her father! Because I guess the FBI is already controlling her phon in each place she works or even where she has diner, everyday...

And for Melissa, maybe the FBI is responsible for it; It is easy to impress a woman who lives alone
and to force her to spy Max! :?

Thanks EVE :mrgreen: