Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

Heavenli24 wrote:
LairaBehr4 wrote:Okay, one of the things that really bugs me (big francophile that I am) is when people write "deja vous" instead of "deja vu". "Deja" means "already" in French, and "vous" means "you." It makes no sense. "Vu", on the other hand, is the past tense of "to see", so instead of "already you", it's meant to be "already saw", as in "already saw this."

I'm not sure whether there's meant to be a hyphen between "deja" and "vu", but regardless, you can see how "already you" is just plain wrong.
Yeah, that bothers me too. I'm really into good spelling and grammar, whether it be in English or in French (which I spent 5 years learning at school).

Btw, as far as I know, there's no hyphen between deja and vu.

Another one that bugs me is the 'lounge' on Liz's balcony. I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK, lounge is another name for the living room or den, not a chair.

The correct French term for the 'lounge' chair is 'chaise longue', meaning literally 'long chair'. However, I've seen 'longue' spelt 'lounge' quite often in other text, so maybe that's where the shortened term 'lounge' comes from.
"Lounge" is also a verb which means to recline and relax. So a long chair would be a place to lounge. It's easy to see how longue would have become lounge. I've often seen a recliner called a "lounge chair," which makes sense, since you can lounge in it. I've never seen a chair called simply a "lounge," though. That seems a bit incomplete.

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

isabelle wrote:
Heavenli24 wrote:
LairaBehr4 wrote:Okay, one of the things that really bugs me (big francophile that I am) is when people write "deja vous" instead of "deja vu". "Deja" means "already" in French, and "vous" means "you." It makes no sense. "Vu", on the other hand, is the past tense of "to see", so instead of "already you", it's meant to be "already saw", as in "already saw this."

I'm not sure whether there's meant to be a hyphen between "deja" and "vu", but regardless, you can see how "already you" is just plain wrong.
Yeah, that bothers me too. I'm really into good spelling and grammar, whether it be in English or in French (which I spent 5 years learning at school).

Btw, as far as I know, there's no hyphen between deja and vu.

Another one that bugs me is the 'lounge' on Liz's balcony. I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK, lounge is another name for the living room or den, not a chair.

The correct French term for the 'lounge' chair is 'chaise longue', meaning literally 'long chair'. However, I've seen 'longue' spelt 'lounge' quite often in other text, so maybe that's where the shortened term 'lounge' comes from.
"Lounge" is also a verb which means to recline and relax. So a long chair would be a place to lounge. It's easy to see how longue would have become lounge.
That makes sense, although I'd probably call it a 'lounger' as in a 'sun lounger at the side of a swimming pool' because otherwise I would read it as meaning something else - the reason the living room is also called the lounge is because it's a room in which to 'recline and relax', so I always think of a room rather than a chair when I see the word.

However, the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary does call it a chaise lounge as well as longue, so I guess I just have issues with the English version instead of the original French one :lol: !
LysCat
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LysCat »

Chrisken wrote:
LysCat wrote:I can't stand it when author's mistake unconscious for subconscious.

"Max unconsciously placed a hand against the middle of her back as he lead her from the room."

Every time I'm reading this....I'm like. 'Wow, that's amazing. People who are unconscious don't usually do much of anything.' It irritates me so much, and it's such a common mistake.
Um, I'm going to cast my vote in favor of that sample sentence you used, and argue that it isn't a mistaken usage. Going to the dictionary, I find these relevant meanings for the root word, 'unconscious':

- not perceived at the level of awareness.
- not consciously realized, planned, or done; without conscious volition or intent.

It's not that Max was unconscious, himself, when he did it. The word is referring to the fact that he was not conscious, or aware, of what he was doing when he did it.

To do something subconsciously, on the other hand, seems partway between doing it unconsciously and doing it consciously. If Max placed a hand on her back subconsciously, then, he'd be imperfectly or partly aware that he was doing it.
I stand corrected then. Then it's just a pet peeve of mine I guess. I've looked up the definition before, but still...just the use of the word, it bugs me more often then not.
Walter: "I used this to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they've been dead up to six hours."
Peter: "Yeah, cause after six hours they're REALLY dead."
StarGazing101
Addicted Roswellian

Post by StarGazing101 »

LysCat wrote:I stand corrected then. Then it's just a pet peeve of mine I guess. I've looked up the definition before, but still...just the use of the word, it bugs me more often then not.
Pet peeve of mine as well. Although, if I write really early in the morning when my eyes are drooping from fatigue, I'll use unconscious and subconscious interchangeably.

The grammatical error that bugs me the most is when people use the wrong homophone. Like they're, there, and their. The one that riles me up the most is when people use complement instead of compliment.
com·ple·ment

1. Something that completes, makes up a whole, or brings to perfection.
2. The quantity or number needed to make up a whole: shelves with a full complement of books.
3. Either of two parts that complete the whole or mutually complete each other.

(There are a ton of definitions for this word, and also relates to Geometry and music, which is what I think of every time I read it.)
com·pli·ment

1. An expression of praise, admiration, or congratulation.
2. A formal act of civility, courtesy, or respect.
3. compliments Good wishes; regards: Extend my compliments to your parents.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

So Then and Than do not relate!!!

Well, English is my second language, and I have seen "then" instead of "than" so many times that I really thought I was missing something there... But I've always written "than" :P

This is very interesting for me. Most of the common errors you guys have talked about are quite obvious to me because I had to learn the grammatical rules at school. But there are other words, like "breathe/breath" which I can't ever remember which one is which. I go and translate it with Word when I have to use either. Same with gloves/globes, quiet/quite, owe/own.

I have two wonderful, grammar nazis betas who have taught me some of my own common grammar mistakes, especially when my Spanish grammar gets in the middle and the sentences sound right to my Spanish thinking mind... But "on/in" is a lost battle... They mean exactly the same in Spanish so... I can never be sure if I'm using the right one or not.

Now, here's a question for you guys: Till vrs. 'til

I know that 'til is contraction for "until", but I've seen so many times "till" instead of that word that now I'm not sure about that. It has taken me a while to write 'til every single time, but... If it is an error, it's a very common one ;)

I was also told that it is okay to write "ok" in informal dialogues -like when you are chatting- but for formal stuff -like our fanfics :P - it should be spelled "okay".

And hey guys, is it "spelled" or "spelt"?? and what's the difference since both words exist??

Misha
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
sprayadhesive
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sprayadhesive »

Misha wrote:Now, here's a question for you guys: Till vrs. 'til I know that 'til is contraction for "until", but I've seen so many times "till" instead of that word that now I'm not sure about that. It has taken me a while to write 'til every single time, but... If it is an error, it's a very common one ;)
I was under the impression that it was supposed to be "'til" as opposed to "till"

"Till" means "unsorted, unlayered drift deposited directly by a glacier".

So, as far as I'm concerned, using "till" in place of until is, as you say, a very common grammatical error. :P
Misha wrote: And hey guys, is it "spelled" or "spelt"?? and what's the difference since both words exist??
As for spelled/spelt, I'm pretty sure that they're interchangeable.
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Misha wrote:So Then and Than do not relate!!!

Well, English is my second language, and I have seen "then" instead of "than" so many times that I really thought I was missing something there... But I've always written "than" :P
Yeah this a very common one:

Then is a time reference... ie first this then that.... than is a comparison... ie I'd rather this than that.
Misha wrote:Now, here's a question for you guys: Till vrs. 'til

I know that 'til is contraction for "until", but I've seen so many times "till" instead of that word that now I'm not sure about that. It has taken me a while to write 'til every single time, but... If it is an error, it's a very common one ;)
You're right... 'til is the conration for until... and till is a word that can be used interchangably with until...
Dictionary.com wrote:till1  /tɪl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[til] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–preposition
1. up to the time of; until: to fight till death.
2. before (used in negative constructions): He did not come till today.
3. near or at a specified time: till evening.
4. Chiefly Midland, Southern, and Western U.S.. before; to: It's ten till four on my watch.
5. Scot. and North England.
a. to.
b. unto.
–conjunction
6. to the time that or when; until.
7. before (used in negative constructions).
[Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE (north) til < ON til to, akin to OE till station, G Ziel goal. See till2]

—Usage note Till1 and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.
Misha wrote:And hey guys, is it "spelled" or "spelt"?? and what's the difference since both words exist??
There is no real difference. These are alternate spellings and pronunciations of the same word. Which one you use is a matter of preference and is usually indicative of where you learned English. Call it differences in dialects or accents.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

sprayadhesive wrote:
Misha wrote:Now, here's a question for you guys: Till vrs. 'til I know that 'til is contraction for "until", but I've seen so many times "till" instead of that word that now I'm not sure about that. It has taken me a while to write 'til every single time, but... If it is an error, it's a very common one ;)
I was under the impression that it was supposed to be "'til" as opposed to "till"

"Till" means "unsorted, unlayered drift deposited directly by a glacier".

So, as far as I'm concerned, using "till" in place of until is, as you say, a very common grammatical error. :P
Just looked it up in the dictionary and till and 'til appear to be interchangeable, but till seems to be a more old-fashioned version (i.e. Middle English). I believe that 'til is the version used most today because it is a shortened version of 'until'.

And for the British people out there, 'till' also means cash register!

sprayadhesive wrote:
Misha wrote: And hey guys, is it "spelled" or "spelt"?? and what's the difference since both words exist??
As for spelled/spelt, I'm pretty sure that they're interchangeable.
Yeah, both spelled and spelt are given in the dictionary.
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

Here's one I've been seeing recently.

Admonish/Admit

I don't know how these two could be confused but they are. I'm seeing stuff like this:

"I really do love him," Maria admonished, looking embarrassed.

Clearly, the writer intends Maria to ADMIT her feelings. Admonishing makes no sense.

Admonish is to caution, advise, or to reprove or scold, esp. in a mild and good-willed manner.

Admit has many meanings, including: to allow or concede as valid; to admit the force of an argument; to acknowledge; confess: He admitted his guilt.
Augustus Snodgrass
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Augustus Snodgrass »

I have one major pet peeve.

Hank's nickname for Michael is "Mickey" as in "Mickey Mouse". (pronounced Mick-ee)

Courtney's nickname for him is "Mikey G" as in the Life commercials: "Mikey will eat anything!" (pronounced: Mike-ee)

They are not pronounced the same. And in canon, they are not interchangable. Drives me bananas when I see people having Courtney call Michael "Mickey", cause she doesn't!

Didn't mean for this to sound harsh, if it does. This one has just been bugging me for awhile.
I'm finally legal, and he gets married. Oh, the irony. The adolescent fantasies of an 11 year old girl have been crushed.