Summer Light (AU,M/L,MATURE) COMPLETE

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Thank you so much for all yor feedback. I can't express how grateful i am to you all. Here's the next part and it's ADULT :wink:

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 21

As the days turned into weeks, Max and Liz went out often. They have already become a couple officially and Max couldn’t be any happier.

Max recalled how it happened with a goofy grin on his face, as he, Liz and Zan were all seated in his SUV, coming home from their trip to the theme park.

He and Liz were out to dinner alone. He wanted to cook for her. Albeit he wasn’t that good a cook but he wanted to do this for her. He made a simple Italian meal consisting of Garlic Chicken Cushions with ricotta cheese, spinach and tomato sauce, Pasta and Tomato Salad, and for dessert, he bought a whole tiramisu from the nearby bakery.

He would never look at his mother the same way. Coming up with the perfect meal was hard work and being taught by Isabel made him appreciate his mother more. He literally did everything, from the peeling and the slicing to the tossing and baking, he did them all with his bare hands.

When he came to pick up Liz, he found Zan clinging to her neck not wanting to let go.

“Why can’t I go?” Zan whined.

“Because it’s late, baby.” he answered her and gently pulled her away from Liz. Having spent a lot of time getting to know the Parkers gave him the privilege to be this close to them and be able to call his little girl whatever he wanted, may it be baby or sweetheart or even princess.

Zan allowed Max to carry her. He sat her on the sofa and crouched down in front of her. Max brushed her soft brown hair away from her face and kissed her forehead.

“I’m sorry you can’t go this time, my little one. But I promise that you’ll come with us next time.” Max vowed.

Zan looked at him with eyes that reflected his own. “You pwomise?”

“I promise, baby.”

Zan nodded and yawned.

“Ok, let’s tuck you in, sweetheart.” Liz spoke and picked up a sleepy Zan.

“Max, come.” Zan said sleepily.

Max looked at Liz to ask for permission to which she replied with a nod.

He stepped slowly for the first time into his daughter’s room. It was in her favorite color, pink. Most of the things were pink, from the bed and pillows down to the little flower rug in the middle of the room. There was a bookshelf with children’s books, stuffed toys in one corner all piled up on a hammock, two small chairs and a small table with a coloring book and a box of crayons on top.

He saw the Care Bear Zan told him about the first time they went out. He picked it from the small chair and walked to the side of the bed where Liz sat.

“Snug as a bug?” Liz asked as she tucked her daughter under her pink blankie.

“Snug as a bug.” Zan replied and Liz kissed her goodnight.

“Don’t forget Love-a-lot.” Max handed the bear to Zan.

“Goodnight, Max.” Zan sighed as her eyes drifted close.

“Goodnight, princess.” Max whispered as he kissed his sleeping daughter.

A few minutes later after that, Max and Liz were back in his house.

”Max, this is…. Wow, you did this?” Liz asked.

Max nodded sheepishly. “It’s really easy. I mean, Isabel taught me so…”

Liz turned to kiss him as a sign of gratitude. But the kiss heated into something more. When they pulled apart, Max gave her one more peck on the lips.

“Let’s eat.”

Max seated Liz opposite him and the two enjoyed Max’s cooking.

“Oh my, I don’t think I can eat another bite.” Liz said.

“Does that mean you liked it?”

“Absolutely.”

“Do you still have room for dessert?”

“What is it?”

“Tiramisu.”

“You made tiramisu?” Liz asked wide-eyed.

“Uh, no, Isabel didn’t know how to make it. So I bought one from the bakery two blocks from here.”

“Oh. Well, maybe later?”

“Ok.” Max nodded. Then with the music playing in the background, he stood from his chair, pulled Liz close and they began to dance.

“I’ve never felt like this before, Liz.” Max whispered in her ear.

“Neither have I.”

“I know this is a little too forward but I just have to know. Where do you see us heading, Liz?”

“Uh, I don’t know. Where do you see us heading?”

“I only know the part I’m hoping for.”

“And what’s that?”

“You in my arms forever.”

Liz looked up at him and saw all the love Max had for her swimming in his eyes.

“I want that too, Max.”

Max smiled giddily and leaned in for another kiss. Without breaking apart, Max lifted Liz and carried her into his bedroom. The two never even broke the kiss as they began to undress each other slowly.

Max slowly laid her in bed and followed her, leaving kisses and nibbles on every inch of her skin.

This was a first for Liz. She had never gone this far before. When she was still studying, she devoted herself to her studies, then there was med school so she didn’t have time for boyfriends. And then when she became a doctor, she focused all her time on her patients. And then Zan came.

“Max.” Liz whispered.

“I know, baby.” Max was holding on to very little control as he gazed at Liz’s nudity.

“Max, wait.” Liz was starting to breathe hard.

“What? What is it? Did I do something wrong?” Max asked worriedly as he leaned back a little to look at her.

“It’s just…I’ve never…” Liz’s face was red with embarrassment.

“What do you mean you’ve never…oh…. So you’re…” Max’s face softened at the love he felt for the woman lying beneath him. “We don’t have to do anything, Liz. I’m sorry if I was rushing you to do something you’re not ready for.”

“No.” Liz shook her head, “It’s not that I’m not ready, I am. I want this. It’s just…I don’t know what to do.”

Max kissed her deep. “Just relax and let me love you.”

Max kissed her again, caressing her smooth skin, running his hands all over her body. Liz could only moan, whimper and writhe in response to Max’s touch.

When Max ran his hands down her trim stomach, her breathing became labored. Max placed soft kisses on her belly and placed his hand between her thighs. Liz slowly opened her legs for him and licked her lips in anticipation.

Max felt the heat of her core as his hand drifted to her center. He went up to Liz and whispered sweet nothings in her ear. Slowly he inserted one finger inside her. Liz hissed as she felt Max’s finger going in. Then she relaxed as she felt the tingling sensation begin. Max inserted another and started pumping slowly. Liz was beginning to get so wet and Max moved to kiss her, his tongue matching the pace of his fingers.

Liz was arching her back as a small orgasm began. She moaned against Max’s lips as it went through her body. Once she was relaxed, Max positioned himself above her.

“I don’t want to hurt you.” he told Liz.

“You won’t.” she replied.

Max slowly went in, inch by inch. Liz was hanging on to his shoulders, feeling the fullness of him going deep inside her. When Max reached her hymen, he stopped. He kissed Liz as he pushed in. Liz’s scream was muffled by their kiss, her grip on his shoulders tightening, her nails digging into his skin. Max stilled inside her, allowing her to adjust to him. It was Liz who gave him the go signal to proceed as she lifted her hips slightly.

Once he sheathed himself fully inside her, the flashes began.

**Max as a young boy emerging from the pod**

**Liz being born, her early years as a child showing her intelligence**

**Max playing on the shore with his sister**

**Liz playing dress up**

**Max sensing the other presence within him at the age of four**

**Liz studying, becoming valedictorian, going on to med school**

**Max in the high school varsity team, getting a basketball scholarship to college, getting drafted**

**Liz becoming a doctor**

**Max losing Erin and his baby, feeling the intense wave of sadness and guilt**

**Liz finding Zan, glimpses of her life with her baby**

**Max’s path to destruction as he suffered his loss, then picking his life back up through the help of family and friends **

**Liz’s grief over her parents dying, then living again for Zan**

** Max’s life with his friends**

** Liz giving up being a doctor and running her mother’s shop with Maria**

**Max as a basketball star**

**Liz having Zan checked by doctors then finally deciding to stop**

**Max meeting Zan on the plane, then Liz**

**Liz‘s feelings during the plane crash, the fear when she couldn’t get Zan out of her seat**

**Max finding Liz and Zan**

**Liz meeting Max**

Their bodies kept on going, grinding against each other, dancing the lover’s dance, getting more intense as the flashes continued. When the couple reached their climax, a flash of bright white light encased them without them even knowing it as they only stared into each other’s eyes, calling out each other’s name. Once they came out of their high, the light was gone.

Max looked down at Liz and brushed her hair back with his fingers, threading them through her silky locks.

“I love you, Liz.”

Liz loved the feeling of being in Max’s arms, like it was the right thing, the most natural thing in this world, so she hugged him even tighter, loving the warmth of his body above hers.

“I love you too, Max.”

The lovers kissed and drifted off to sleep, both in bliss knowing that the love one had for the other was returned with the same intensity.

That same night in another part of town, a little girl suddenly opened her eyes as she lied in bed. She looked out at the window and stared at a constellation in the night sky.

It was the constellation of her galaxy, the galaxy of her heritage. She was staring at the ‘V’ constellation of the Whirlwind Galaxy with the planet Antar right in the middle of it.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I know that you all have questions reagrding Max and Liz but I have my reasons for not answering them yet. But don't you worry, the answers will be revealed in the succeeding chapters. Thank you for still reading this.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 22

“Hello?”

“Hey, Iz. I just wanted to ask if I could bring Liz, Zan and Maria to our dinner.”

“Uh…yeah, sure.”

“Great. I’ll be dropping by there first before I pick them up. There are some few things we need to talk about.”

“Ok.” Isabel answered before Max hung up.

She walked over to the living room where the others were watching another basketball game. “That was Max.”

“What, he’s canceling?” Michael looked at Isabel.

“No, he sounded cryptic. He’s bringing Liz, Zan and Maria but he wanted to talk to us first.”

“About what?” Kyle questioned.

“I don’t know.”

Just then the doorbell rang. “Well, at least we didn’t have to wait long. I’ll bet that’s him now.” Alex said as he stood up to answer the door.

“Hey Alex.” Max greeted.

“Max.” Alex allowed him to enter.

The minute Max stepped in, questions were fired at him.

“Ok, ok, wait a minute.” Max held his hands up signaling everyone to calm down.

“Well what did you expect, Max? You tell me something like that over the phone and I don’t know what to think.” Isabel spoke.

“All I said was if Liz and the others can join us and that I wanted to stop by here first. What’s so wrong with that statement?” Max defended.

“Well…I…” Isabel stammered.

Michael breathed out a sigh of relief, “You and your suspicions, Isabel.”

“Actually…” Max said, which made everyone turn to him slowly.

“Actually, what?” Kyle prodded impatiently.

“I spoke with Cal.” Max replied.

“What? Why?” This came from Michael.

“I had some questions.” Max kept answering vaguely.

“Spit it out, Max!” Isabel ordered him.

Max knew this was the time he should speak, but he couldn’t. He didn’t know how they would all react to the news he was about to reveal.

“Max.” Alex spoke, also waiting for what Max had to tell them.

Max took a deep breath and just blurted it out, “Zan is mine.”

“WHAT?!” Isabel shrieked.

“I knew it!” Michael said smugly.

“Wow.” Kyle breathed.

“What does that mean for you, Max?” Alex asked this time.

“I don’t know yet, but I’m not going to do anything that would disrupt her life.”

“But she’s your daughter; don’t you have the right to get to know her?” Isabel said, but admittedly wanting to know her niece too.

“I gave up that right when I told Cal to put her up for adoption.”

“So, what, you’re just gonna watch from afar?” Michael asked.

“No, yes, I don’t know yet. But one thing I do know is that none of you will break the news to her or act differently around them tonight. I mean it.” Max looked pointedly at Michael.

“When are you going to let her know that you’re her father?” Isabel pressed on.

“I don’t know. Maybe never.”

“Never? Max what if something happens? You already said she can predict the future? What if her mother turns her in to some lab or—”

“Don’t you EVER talk that way about Liz!” Max bellowed.

Isabel and the rest of them were taken aback.

“What has gotten into you, Max? We were just pointing out the possibilities—” Alex spoke.

“Liz would never do that to our child!”

“OUR child? When has that girl become yours and Liz’s?” Michael asked.

“When Zan chose Liz to be her mother, that’s when.” Max answered.

“What are you talking about, Max?” It was Kyle’s turn to ask.

Max exhaled his breath slowly and sat down on the couch. “Cal said that Zan chose Liz to form a connection with her because Erin was gone and I didn’t want to keep her either. So he made sure that Liz would find Zan. And now they have a connection, a bond that Antarian parents have with their children. And since Zan is still considered a princess of Antar, her mother would be the queen.”

“Wait, so Liz is our queen now?” Michael wanted to confirm.

“Wouldn’t she just have the title of queen mother until Zan ascends to the throne?” Alex asked.

“Apparently no.”

“There’s more to this than what you’re telling us, right Max?” Isabel urged him.

“Yes. Remember those feeling I told you about when we were four?” Max asked his sister.

Isabel nodded.

“It’s Liz.”

“Liz? How is that possible? She’s human? You said when you healed me, I was still human with just advanced capabilities.” Kyle started to panic. “Are you saying I’m about to become an alien?!”

“Kyle, calm down.” Isabel instructed him.

“How on earth am I supposed to calm down when I don’t even know if I’m gonna develop…gills?!”

Isabel slapped him on the back of his head, “Do you see any of us having gills, moron?”

“Kyle, you’re not changing into a hybrid so shut up.” Max was irritated. “Even Cal doesn’t know why we felt Liz when she was born but that’s the fact we’re still trying to figure out. But because I was able to feel her, somehow I chose her as well to be the Queen of Antar.”

Everyone stayed silent as they tried to comprehend what Max just told them.

“By the way, we’re a couple now so…be nice.”

Isabel fussed even more as Max left to pick up his guests. She wanted everything to be perfect. She already met Maria but she hadn’t met Liz and Zan yet. Her thoughts went back to her niece. She hoped that she will have a chance to get to know her even though she can’t tell the girl who she really is. Isabel could only hope that Max would change his mind about it soon. In order to get her mind off these musings, she ordered Michael, Alex and Kyle around. At first, Michael and Kyle objected, but after Isabel threatened them to leave, they reluctantly began to do as she commanded.

Hearing Max’s SUV pull up in the driveway sent Isabel in a fit of panic. “Oh God, they’re here. Does everything look ok? Alex, did you taste the soup? Is it ok? Not too hot? Kyle, make sure that those utensils are all lined up properly. Michael, is the roast ready?” She started throwing last minute instructions as she heard the car doors close.

Alex placed his hands on his wife’s shoulders and turned her around to face him. “Isabel, calm down. Everything is spic and span, the food and table settings are in perfect order. Just take deep breaths and let’s welcome them into our home.”

Isabel did as her husband requested and plastered a full smile on her face. “I’m sorry, I’m just really nervous. Do I look ok?”

“As beautiful as always.” Alex kissed her and they answered the door.

“Hi. Welcome, come in. Please.” Isabel greeted them.

Maria was holding a large bouquet of exotic flowers such as orchids and stargazer lilies. Max was carrying a warm peaches and cream pie. And Liz had Zan in her arms.

Liz was wearing a red sleeveless top and black slacks, Zan was wearing a pink shirt, white hoodie and denim overalls, and Maria had on denim skirt and a green top.

“Isabel?” Maria recognized the woman leading her in.

“Hi, Maria.” Isabel smiled back.

“Oh my, talk about coincidences.” Maria threw a side glance at Liz which didn’t escape Michael’s notice.

“Um, Isabel, this is Liz and Zan, and you already know Maria obviously. Um, ladies, this is Alex, Isabel’s husband. That’s Michael over there,” Max pointed to the big guy at the table. “And that one is Kyle.” Kyle raised a hand to wave at the newcomers.

“Uh, here, this is for you, thanks for the invite.” Maria handed the flowers to Isabel. “If I knew Max was going to bring us to your house, I would have brought irises.”

“Oh, these are beautiful, thank you. I’ll just go put them in some water.” Isabel went into the kitchen quickly, not wanting to miss anything happening in her living room.

“Alex.” Max handed the pie to his brother-in-law. “Liz baked that one so it’s still warm.”

“Hey, thanks Liz.” Alex thanked the smaller woman as he took the pie from Max and followed his wife into the kitchen.

“Hey, is it time to eat already? I’m starving.” Kyle yelled at Isabel.

“Ugh, Kyle, could you be a dear and seat our guests, please.” Isabel answered though it was obvious that she was furious with her friend.

Just as Max was leading his guests to the table, Zan suddenly tightened her grip on Liz.

“What? Zan?” Liz asked as she felt her daughter tense up.

“He’s here.” Zan whispered, her eyes making a quick glance at one of Max’s friends.

Liz looked around and saw Michael. “Oh. It’s ok, sweetie, he’s a friend of Max.” Liz whispered back to her daughter.

Zan just shook her head and buried her face near her mother’s neck. Liz felt the tears as she heard Zan sobbing.

“Sshhh, Zan.” Liz started rubbing her baby’s back to soothe her.

“What’s wrong?’ Max was holding out the seat for Liz when he noticed that she had stopped in the middle of the room and was trying to comfort Zan. So he walked back to them and asked what was going on.

“She’s scared of Michael.”

“Oh, Zan. It’s ok, he won’t hurt you. He’s a friend.”

Zan tentatively looked up at Max and Max’s heart broke as he saw how scared she was.

“Aww, baby, come here.” Max took Zan from Liz and held her close. “You don’t have to worry about him ok? He just looks scary but he’s a softie. He won’t ever hurt you, I promise.”

Everyone at the table saw how sweet Max was towards Zan. Isabel had tears in her eyes as she saw how adorable the scene was.

“If you want, you can sit between me and your mom, is that ok with you?” Max asked his baby.

Zan nodded and just held on to Max’s shoulders as they all walked to the table. Max held out Liz’s seat first. Then Liz held out the seat for Zan as Zan was lowered on the chair. And to complete them, Max sat on the chair right beside Zan. To anyone who didn’t know their true story, it looked like the trio was a very loving family with the parents caring so much for their daughter.

“Alright then, let’s dig in.” Kyle announced.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Chapter 23

“Max?”

“Hmm?”

“What was going on at your sister’s house?” Liz asked as she and Max just cuddled together on her couch.

The dinner party wasn’t entirely a success. First with Zan’s crying due to seeing Michael there with them and needing both Max and Liz to soothe her nerves. Then there were the awkward glances thrown at her by Isabel, Michael Alex and Kyle. There were also the stares they gave Zan. She didn’t know what to make of it. And while Max was driving them back home, she didn’t know if it would be appropriate to ask him. But now that they were back in her house and alone, she just couldn’t shake it off and it felt like there was a voice in the back of her mind telling her to ask.

“Nothing. What are you talking about?” Max answered as he caressed Liz’s back.

That answer didn’t satisfy Liz’s curiosity. So she got up and looked in his eyes. “You’re lying.”

“What?”

“You’re lying.” Liz persisted. “Something is going on and I want to know.”

”Liz.”

“It’s either you tell me or you leave. I do not tolerate liars in my house, Max. I’ve been very honest with you from the start and if you can’t give me that then leave.” Liz was up on her feet now with her arms crossed across her chest.

“Wha…” Max didn’t know what to make of this. One minute they were just enjoying being in each other’s arms and now Liz was ruining the moment.

“What do you want me to say, Liz? I’m telling you that it’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing.” Liz said through gritted teeth. “I’m not gonna say it again, Max. If you wanna lie, then go right ahead, but do it out of my house. So leave.”

“Liz.” Max got up and moved closer to pull Liz back in his arms but she took a step back away from him instead.

“Where is this coming from?” Max was dumbfounded about what to make of Liz’s actions.

“I’ll tell you where it’s coming from. Zan was so scared of Michael she was crying. She’s never done that, Max. She may be a little afraid of strangers but I’ve never seen such a reaction until tonight. And your sister and your friends were all staring at me and Zan like we’ve got something on our faces. Now what in the world is going on?”

Max was silent at first, thinking of an excuse that would be believable. “You’re new. That’s why they were staring.” He stepped closer to his girlfriend and this time she didn’t move away. “I’ve never gone out with any other woman for a long time. My…my first girlfriend died when I was 20. I’ve never dated again after that…until you came along.”

Liz pondered on that for a moment. And her heart raced as Max told her that but there was still that nagging voice in her mind. “There’s something you’re not telling me. I believe what you’ve just said right now, but there’s more.”

Max smirked, “Are you reading my mind?”

“Are you saying that you are keeping something from me? Something I should know?”

”No! Liz, I was just teasing. Why are getting so riled up over tonight?”

“Because I know there’s something going on other than the fact that we’re new in your life. And I’m sure that your friends are looking out for you. But how come Maria knew Isabel and Michael? Is it just a coincidence that they wandered into the store? I don’t think so. I’m assuming you’ve told them about what Zan can do. Max, I’m telling you right now, if your friends do anything to my daughter—“

“They won’t! What makes you think that?”

“Been there, done that.”

“What?”

“I have gone out on other dates before you came along. And it’s either the fact that I’m a single mom frightens them or they’ve heard about Zan and wants to experiment on her.”

Max’s face blanched at that and his quick reaction made him grab Liz’s shoulders. “What do you mean they’ve heard of her? And experiment on her? Where would they have heard of her? Are these people still around?”

“Max, let go. You’re starting to hurt me.” Liz’s eyes were wide as she stared at a grown man who was frightened beyond reason.

Max quickly let go once he heard Liz’s voice. He sat back on the couch and put his head in his hands. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

Liz just looked at him from where she was standing. “What’s going on? Tell me.”

Max raised his head and stared at Liz with tears in his eyes. He had never been that scared before. He could take the thought of people experimenting on him if they knew the truth, but not with his daughter. They’d have to go through him first.

At the look on Max’s face, Liz went to him and sat beside him, placing a hand on his arm to offer comfort to him in some way.

“What’s going on? Please. Please tell me. Is this something that concerns us? Me and Zan?”

Max nodded.

“What is it?” Liz asked.

“I…I can’t tell you.... Don’t make me tell you, please.” Max had tears running down his cheeks.

Liz moved to wipe them away and both were facing each other. “Max, if it’s about me and Zan, I have to know what it’s about.”

“You’ll hate me.”

“No, I wo—”

“You will.” Max cut Liz off. “And I can’t afford that. I can’t lose you. Please, Liz. Don’t ask me this. I’ll die if I lose you.”

“You have to tell me. Or this would be between us all the time. And I can’t have a relationship if this, whatever this is, is hanging over our heads.”

Max took a deep breath and trembled. He knew that if he tells her now, there is no turning back. And there’s a huge possibility that he’ll lose her over this.

“Max, please.” Liz insisted.

“Zan…is…she’s my…daughter.”

Liz just sat there in shock, not knowing what to say.

“Liz?”

She began shaking her head. “How...? What makes you think that she’s yours?”

“We have the same eyes, Liz. Don’t tell me you’ve never noticed that.”

Liz stayed quiet.

“Liz…”

“I want a test done.” Liz suddenly uttered.

“I can’t.”

Liz quickly stood away from the couch as Max reached out for her. “Liz.”

“What do you mean you can’t? How will I know for sure? I mean, I can’t just go up to MY daughter and tell her that her father is here. She…she considers me as her real mom. I AM her real mom…” Liz fell to the floor as sobs began to rack her body.

“Liz.” Max went to her but Liz pushed him away.

“No, you…you can’t have her…I won’t let you. You…I’ll bring you to court if I have to, but you’re not taking my daughter.”

“Liz, I’m not.”

“Oh god, my Alissandra.” Liz rocked back and forth.

“Lizzie.” Max rushed to her side and hugged her as Liz clung to him, crying her heart out.

“You can’t take her away from me, Max. Please, she’s all I have left. Please don’t take my baby away from me, I’m begging you.”

“I won’t, Liz. I won’t.”

“Is…is that why there were all looking at us?”

“Yes.”

Liz pulled away from him to look at his eyes. “So you knew all this time…and you never said anything?”

“I couldn’t, Liz. I didn’t want to disrupt Zan’s life. And I’ve seen how much you two love each other, I couldn’t do that to you.”

“Get out.”

“What?”

Liz stood to her feet and went to the door and opened it. “Get out.”

“Liz.”

“I said get out, Max. Just get out! Get out!”

Max dragged his feet to where Liz was. He tried to touch her arm but she moved away. “Liz, we have to talk about this. I promise you I will not take Zan away from you.”

“Just leave…please.” Liz whispered.

Max just looked at her until his tears blurred his vision. Quietly, he left.

Liz locked the door Max had just gone through and leaned back on it as she cried. She put her fist on her lips and bit hard to keep her sobbing down. But her heart was breaking at the thought of Zan’s biological father now in the picture. She couldn’t lose her baby. Zan was her entire world. She would die if she had to give her up.

Slowly, she rose to her feet and went to her daughter’s room. Tears spilled once more as she gazed at Zan sleeping silently. Liz went to her bedside and kneeled on the floor. She kept watching her daughter as she slept soundly. She ran her hand an inch above Zan’s head and body, feeling her baby’s warmth. She touched Zan’s soft hair reverently and inhaled her baby scent. Tears kept pouring out of Liz’s eyes as she memorized every line and contour of her daughter. She got in the bed with her little one and Zan quickly moved to snuggle by her side. As Liz lay there staring at her baby girl, she recalled all the happy memories they shared together both through the good times and the bad. How could she survive without Zan? Her baby was the only reason she was able to pull herself together after losing her parents. What would happen to her if she lost the only reason she had for living?
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I'll try to answer all your questions soon. For now, here's the next part.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 24

Car doors slammed then four people, 3 men and one woman, all walked up to the driveway.

“Are you sure he’s in there?” Kyle asked.

“I hope so.” Isabel said worriedly. “Let’s split up and find him.” she told them as she used her key to get in Max’s house.

Kyle checked the backyard and the garage and saw all of Max’s cars and bikes still there so he couldn’t have gone anywhere far. Michael looked in the first floor rooms and Isabel took those in the second floor. Alex checked his room and found Max sprawled on his stomach on the bed, empty liquor bottles scattered all over the floor.

“Max!” Alex rushed to his brother-in-law.

Hearing Alex yell Max’s name, the other 3 all headed to the direction of Alex’s voice. Once they reached the bedroom, they saw Alex trying to wake Max up. Isabel stifled a scream as she put both hands on her mouth. She started swaying her head from left to right, mumbling incoherently.

Michael and Kyle ran to help Alex, leaving Isabel standing alone in the doorway. Alex let the other guys handle Max as he went to his distraught wife.

“Izzy, he’s just passed out from too much alcohol.”

“Not again, not again…”

Alex held Isabel’s arms and shook her slightly. “No, Isabel, look at me. He’ll be fine. We’re all here to help him.”

Tears were streaming down her face as Isabel looked at her husband. “I can’t stay here, Alex. I can’t stand looking at him this way.”

“You have to, we have to help him.”

“I don’t think I can.”

“Yes you can, Isabel. You’re the strongest and bravest woman I know. Now come on, Max needs us.”

Isabel slowly trudged towards her brother. Max was still unconscious, his body reeking of alcohol. They all knew what alcohol can do to their bodies. Once, Max, Michael and Kyle all went to a frat party. Max took just one sip and he was a goner. He was talking nonsense, laughing all the time like he was on a high. Kyle couldn’t believe the tolerance level Max had or rather lacked. Kyle regretted giving the drink to his friend, had he known that was going to happen, he would have done otherwise. When Max woke up the next day, he couldn’t remember anything that happened the night before.

Unfortunately, when Erin died, Max went back to the bottle. At first he drank alone, knowing that the others would stop him if they saw what he was doing to himself. But the physical pain he endured from drinking too much helped him forget the pain his heart was suffering from for not only did he lose Erin, he also lost his child. And now, he was losing Liz.

When he came home, he cried his heart out for her, feeling unbearable heartache that’s more than what he felt for Erin. How could he love someone so much in such a short time? No, Cal told him it was Liz he felt when he was four, which meant her presence has been with him for over two decades. Maybe that’s why he’s so in love with her. And the thought of losing her was tearing him apart. And he thought of only one thing that would help, getting drunk.

“Max, wake up. C’mon Max. Wake up.” Kyle kept slapping Max’s face lightly.

“Can you guys handle him for a while? I’m gonna go make some coffee.” Michael asked Isabel and Alex.

“We’ll be fine, go.” Alex replied.

“Max? Max, wake up, please. What happened? Why did you do this?” Isabel tried shaking Max but he was still unconscious.

“Max! Max! Wake up, man!” Alex’s voice got louder trying to wake up their friend.

Isabel started picking up the empty bottles strewn all across the floor and threw them in the trash. Tears began to prick her eyes and she blinked hard to keep them from falling.

Michael came back with hot black coffee but they had to wake Max up first before they could make him drink the hot liquid to jolt him.

“I think we should try healing him.” Michael commented.

“How? He’s the one who does that best.” Isabel said.

“Maybe if all three of us do it?” Michael looked at Kyle.

“I can only do zapping, dude.” Kyle backed away.

“Well, what do you suggest we do? We’re running out of options here!”

“How about you let the human try?” Alex said dryly. “C’mon, help me with him.”

The three guys carried Max to the bathroom as Alex instructed. Then they placed in the bathtub and Alex turned on the cold water.

“Aaahhh!” Max sputtered and screamed as he awoke.

“Finally.” Alex said and helped Max out of the tub.

Max was still a little wobbly so Alex helped him walk over to his bed. Isabel quickly got a towel and wrapped it on Max’s back as he shivered. And then she exploded.

“What the hell were you thinking?! We were all so worried about you! You weren’t at practice, you’re not answering your damn phones! Thank goodness I have a key to your house or God knows what would have happened to you! And then we find you here, plastered drunk and dead to the world. What is going on, Max?! And you better have a good excuse before I smack you to kingdom come!” Isabel was enraged, the other three guys looking on, and Max just sitting there trembling from the cold.

“Argh! Here.” Isabel threw a dry shirt to her brother and Max slowly changed his shirt. When he lifted his wet shirt, they all saw green streaks of energy running on his bare chest.

“Max.” Michael gasped. He was handing Max the coffee when he saw the green sparkling lines.

“What the hell are those?” Alex questioned.

“That’s what happens when they’re too drunk. It’s like alcohol poisoning only it’s not. It’s their alien physiological response to the alcohol.” Kyle explained.

Isabel and Alex just looked at him flabbergasted.

“What? It happened to Michael. He was in so much pain that Max had to…heal…” Kyle faltered as he saw Michael glaring at him.

Isabel quickly whipped her head to throw lethal stares at Michael. “When did this happen?” she asked angrily.

“Hey, shouldn’t we be concentrating on Max here?” Michael told Isabel.

“What happened, Max? Why are you doing this to yourself again?” Alex asked.

“She’s gone.” was his only reply.

“Who’s gone?” Isabel kneeled in front of her brother.

“Liz.”

They all looked at each other.

“And it’s all your fault!” The green sparks shot out of Max’s body, zapping the four other people in the room.

“Aaaah!” they all yelled in chorus as they were picked up off the floor and thrown against the walls.

Slowly they all got up on their feet. They all looked at Max and the crackling energy running through his arms.

“What are you talking about?! How did this become our fault?!” Michael yelled.

“Max, tell us what happened.” Isabel pleaded.

“It’s all your fault.” he said once more.

“What is?” Alex asked.

“You drove her away! You kept looking at her and Zan differently last night that she got suspicious! I had no other choice!” Max yelled.

“What do you mean you had no choice?” Kyle prodded.

“She knows alright! She knows!” Max had tears flowing from his eyes again. Tears from both the physical and emotional pain he was going through.

“She knows…about Zan?” Isabel spoke.

“Yes.” Max whispered and sat on the bed unceremoniously. He covered his face as he wept.

“Max, it’ll be ok.” Isabel wanted to comfort her brother but she couldn’t with the risk that Max might use his powers against her again.

“No, it won’t. I hate this life! I hate being who I am! I just want to be happy, damn it!” Max slumped on the bed. “I just want them in my life.” he whispered.

“You will, Max.” Alex assured him.

“How, huh? Tell me how.” Max challenged.

Kyle had had enough and decided to smack some sense into his friend. “Fight for them. If you love them that much then fight for them. Don’t just sit here wasting away, drowning your misery in alcohol. That’s so pathetic, Max. I have never pegged you to be one to give up. But looking at you now, you disgust me. What, do you think by drinking Liz will take you back? Well newsflash, buddy. It doesn’t happen that way!” Kyle strode over to where Max was sitting and pulled him up to stand on his feet. “If you want them so much in your life, then be a man. Get some balls and fight for them. I don’t see why you think it’s hopeless. If you love Liz and Zan, it’ll be perfect if you get to live happily ever after wouldn’t it?”

Max could only nod.

“Then get your shit together and go back to Liz!”
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Chapter 25

“Baby?”

Zan looked up at Liz from her coloring.

“I need to talk to you about something.” Liz said as she took a seat on one of Zan’s small chairs.

Zan just blinked as she waited.

Liz gave her daughter a small smile before proceeding. “You like Max, right?”

Zan nodded her response.

“That’s good. Well, you see, sweetie, Max…he’s…he’s um…” Liz took a deep breath, “He might be your daddy.”

“My daddy?”

Liz nodded while her lips pursed into a thin line.

“And you’re my mommy and we live happiwy eva after yike Cindewella!” Zan’s eyes shone brightly.

“Uh no baby. You see, I’m not…really your mommy.” Liz said with tears blurring her vision.

Zan shook her head left and right, her cute little pigtails swishing back and forth. “No, you’re my mommy.” She got off her chair and stood beside her mother, placing a tender little hand on her cheek.

Liz took Zan’s hand in hers and kissed it. “Well, I’m your mommy now but you had a different mommy before.”

“No!” Zan threw herself in her mommy’s arms and hugged her tightly. “You’re my mommy.”

“Baby…”

“You’re my mommy! You’re my only mommy.” Zan began to cry.

“Sweetheart, sshhh.” Liz held her daughter close and started rubbing her back to comfort her.

“You’re my only mommy. Dere’s no one else!”

Liz didn’t know how else to explain so she just concentrated on soothing Zan as she cried.

“My little one, look at me.”

Zan reluctantly let go and looked at Liz.

“I love you. No matter what happens I love you. Remember that always.”

“Yes, my Mommy.” Zan was crying hard.

“Oh baby. It’s gonna be fine. I promise you, everything will be ok.” Liz got up and Zan circled her legs around her mother’s waist.

Liz carried her baby all the way to her room where she laid Zan in bed and then she lied beside her child. She wrapped a protective arm around her baby and hugged her close. And Zan did the same with her mother. But now Liz noticed that Zan was sucking on her thumb. Liz thought that maybe Zan could feel the overwhelming fear and sorrow that she was keeping at bay. And she had to calm herself down because it was scaring Zan. But before she could say anything, Zan beat her to it.

“Why are you scawed that Max might take me away?” Zan said after she pulled out her thumb from her mouth.

Liz didn’t know what to say. How could she tell her daughter the custody battles in scenarios similar to what they were in right now?

“Is he gonna take me way? Mommy, don’t! Don’t let him take me way! Don’t Mommy, no! I don’t want him to come hewe! I don’t like him anymowe!”

“Zan, Zan, sshhh. No one will take you away from me, I promise.” Liz brought her daughter close and hugged her as tight as she could.

Mother and daughter fell asleep in that position but soon, Liz was awoken by the incessant pounding at her door.

Liz slowly got up from her bed and tucked Zan in under her blankets. She slowly walked out the hallway to check who was at the door.

The knocking kept going and Liz rushed a little, afraid that the noise might wake her daughter up. She looked in the peephole and took a deep breath as she saw Max on the other side.

She opened the door and took in his scruffy appearance. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a black shirt. He had a 5 o’clock shadow and his hair was unkempt. But despite those, Max looking hot was a fact that Liz couldn’t deny. “What are you doing here?”

“We need to talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Yes, there is, Liz, please.” Max looked at her intensely.

Liz closed her eyes and sighed. When she opened them again, she let Max step in her house.

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet.” As soon as she closed the door, she turned to face him. “So what did you want to talk about? And please, whatever you have to say, make it quick.”

“Ok, I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner. But I had my reasons. At first they were just doubts. I saw myself and Erin—”

“Erin. Is that…is that her…” Liz couldn’t say the words.

“Yes, Erin is her biological mother.”

“Where is she?”

“She’s gone. She died giving birth although she was sick before that. She only had enough strength left to deliver the baby.”

Liz could only nod.

“I couldn’t raise the child alone so I gave her up for adoption.”

“Adoption? But she was left in the hospital.”

“I know, the man I gave her to, he left her there.”

“But why?”

Max couldn’t tell her the real reason. “I don’t know. Like I said, I had my doubts for some time now but I didn’t want to consider the fact that she might be my daughter. I couldn’t do that to the both of you. I can’t just ask you and risk disrupting your life and that of a 4-year-old over that possibility.”

“So how did you know for sure?”

“The same man. I got the information from him.”

“So what now? Is this why you came here? To tell me all this?”

“No…well, partly. I meant what I said, Liz. I have no intention of taking Zan away. I love you, I wouldn’t do something like that knowing how much it would hurt you.”

“So now I should be grateful to you and your generosity, is that it? And what if we fight, or break up, what then? Are you gonna take her away from me then?”

“No! I won’t do that, Liz. I promise I won’t.”

Liz remained silent.

Sensing that Liz wasn’t gonna say anything else, he walked up to her and kissed her forehead to say goodbye. “I do love you, Liz, with all of my heart. I’m so sorry for all of this. But I want you to know that you can’t get rid of me that easily, not when I have these strong feelings for you.”

Liz just stood there and watched Max walk towards the door. But before he could open it, he felt Zan.

“Mommy.” Both Liz and Max turned to look at Zan standing in the hallway, rubbing her eyes with a fist.

“Hey, you’re awake.” Liz went to her daughter and bent down in front of her. However, Zan kept staring at Max.

Max could feel the hatred pouring from Zan. Her eyes were narrowed at him and she allowed her mommy to pick her up but her eyes were still locked on his.

“Why are you hewe?” Zan asked angrily. “Why is he hewe, Mommy? He shouldn’t be hewe.”

“Zan, sshhh. Max came here for us to talk.”

“No, I don’t wanna talk to him.” Then she wiggled out of her mother’s arms and walked over to Max. “I don’t like you anymowe. You made my mommy cwy! Get out!” Zan pushed Max’s legs. “Get out!” Zan kept pushing, trying desperately to get him out of their house.

Max just watched as Zan tried her hardest to push him away. Tears welled in his eyes as he felt the hate his daughter had for him.

“Zan!” Liz called out and pulled Zan to her.

”No! He’s gonna take me way fwom you! He will! I don’t want him hewe! Make him leave, Mommy. Make him go way!” Zan clung to her mother and wept harshly.

“Zan, I’m not taking you away from your mother. I will never do that.” Max wanted to hold his baby and soothe her fears.

“Yes, you will!” Zan screamed, her voice muffled by Liz’s neck.

Max moved around and went to look at his child. “No, princess, I won’t.” He reached over and dried her tears with his thumb. “I love you and your mommy so much. I would never do such a thing.”

Zan looked at him briefly while he spoke then turned her face into her mother’s skin once more.

The tears that had formed in Max’s eyes spilled over. He then spoke to Liz, “Please don’t close yourself off from us. I love you, always believe that. I want us to be together, Liz.” He looked at Zan and kissed her head. “All of us.”
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Thank you so much for all your feedback. Explanations will begin in Chapter 27, so stay tuned.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 26

“MOMMY!!!”

Liz instantly woke up upon hearing Zan screaming. She ran into her daughter’s bedroom and saw Zan twisting and turning in her bed. Her pink blankie has wrapped around her and she tried untangling herself out of it in her sleep. Beads of sweat dribbled on her forehead and her fists clenching tightly.

“Zan, Zan, baby, wake up.” Liz spoke softly as she tried to remove Zan’s blanket around her.

“Noooo!!! I wan’t my mommy! Mommy! Mommy, help! Help me! Pwease! Mommy!” Zan continued flailing her arms and kicking her legs.

“Zan, wake up! Mommy’s here, baby. It’s just a dream, sweetheart, just a bad dream. Find my voice, baby, listen to it then open your eyes. Please, Zan, wake up. Mommy’s here, I’m right beside you.”

Zan was slowly ceasing her writhing. She opened her eyes and quickly shot up and hugged her mother.

“Mommy.” Zan wept.

Liz comforted her baby by speaking softly in her ear, reassuring her that she was in her room. “Sshhh, it’s just a bad dream, baby. I’m here. Sshhh. Take deep breaths, baby. That’s it.” Liz coaxed her daughter as she rubbed Zan’s back soothingly.

“You wanna sleep in my bed with me?” Liz asked.

Zan only nodded and clung to Liz’s neck tighter, soaking her skin. Slowly, Liz rose from Zan’s bed, took her pink blankie and Care Bear then carried her baby back to her bedroom.

Once there, she carefully laid Zan on the bed and tucked her in with her blankie first then Liz’s own comforter. She placed Zan’s bear beside her and laid down next to her.

“You wanna talk about your dream, baby?”

Zan pouted, tears still in her eyes, “They want to take me way fwom you.” she whispered.

“Who does?”

“Bad people.”

Upon Zan’s answer, Liz’s heart began to race. She was worried that it might be another premonition and she prayed that it was not, that it was merely a dream.

“Did you see their faces?”

Zan shook her head. She was so exhausted from her nightmare that her eyelids were closing.

“Go to sleep, baby. I’ll be right here. No one will take you away from me, I promise.” Liz brushed away Zan’s hair and kissed her baby’s forehead. She was worried about what it could mean, and more so as to what brought them on. She was afraid that it was because of Max. She hugged Zan close as she pondered on these thoughts.

Liz hardly slept that night as she kept watch over her daughter. Something was definitely wrong, she could feel it, and she knew that whatever it was, it concerned Zan. She tried asking Zan what the dream was when they woke up but Zan said she couldn’t remember.

She drove her daughter to her playschool but Zan didn’t want Liz to leave. So Liz stayed and just called Maria to ask her to watch over the store until they came back.

As Liz watched over Zan, she noticed that Zan would keep looking back at her often to check if she was still in the far corner of the room. Every time Zan did that, Liz would just smile back at her baby. Zan would smile at her then go back to whatever activity she was doing.

When they got home, Zan was back to being her normal cheerful self. But that didn’t last long because as soon as the bell above the door of Dreams chimed, Liz was surprised at the sight that greeted her.

Waiting for her and Zan were Max, Michael, Isabel and Alex and Maria arguing with all of them to leave.

“Mommy!” Zan began to panic stretching her arms up for her mother to carry her.

“Liz, I’m sorry, I kept calling your mobile but you weren’t answering it and they just came in here and they were looking for you and Zan and—“ Maria started rambling the minute she saw Liz. She quickly ran to her friend sputtering off why Max and his friends were there.

“Maria, it’s ok. Could you just take Zan back in the storeroom with you?” Liz was pushing Zan’s hands into Maria but Zan wouldn’t budge and she was quickly beginning to cry.

“No! Mommy, I don’t wanna go anywere widout you!” Zan was looking up at her mother.

Liz crouched down to be at eye level with Zan. She began to wipe away her baby’s tears as she tried to convince her to go with Maria.

“Max and I and his friends just need to talk, sweetheart, and it’s grown-up talk so please, go with Maria.”

Zan was shaking her head left to right. She hugged her mother and wouldn’t let go. “Pwease Mommy, I’ll be good. I stay here witchu, pwease.”

“Zan.” Liz started to comfort her baby again. She knew this was causing such turmoil for her daughter and it has got to stop. She stood back up with Zan still in her arms. Zan quickly wrapped her little legs around her mother’s waist and tightened her grip around Liz’s neck.

Liz finally acknowledged Max by looking at him. She saw that Max also pitied the situation Zan was in.

“What are you doing here? And not just you, but all of you?” Liz addressed Max.

“Liz, I’m sorry. Isabel…she just wanted to see Zan and—” Max began.

“Did I give you permission to do that?” Liz asked angrily.

“I don’t think Isabel needs to ask permission to see her niece.” Michael replied.

“Hey, no one asked you for your opinion so butt out.” Maria interjected.

“Are you even included in this conversation?” Michael turned his attention to Maria.

“That is my niece too, so yes, I am included in this conversation!” Maria answered.

“Well she’s my niece too so I have every right to butt in!” Michael responded.

“Enough!” Max yelled and everyone got silent.

Zan flinched at his yell and began to sob harder.

Max walked over to where Liz was now trying to soothe a crying Zan.

“Sshhh, baby, please stop crying. It’ll be ok, I’m here, Zan.” Max heard Liz saying such words to Zan.

When Liz saw Max approaching, she turned angry eyes on him. “Do you see what you’ve done? She’s so confused with all of this, I can’t even calm her down.”

“Let me.” Max pleaded with Liz.

Liz was hesitant at first but with Zan still weeping, she didn’t know what else to do. She tried to pull Zan away from her a little but the child wouldn’t let go.

“It’s ok. I’ll just…” Max walked closer to Zan and placed his hand on her hair then down her back. There was a soft glow that emitted from his palm. Liz wasn’t able to see it but Maria and the others did.

Soon, Zan was asleep in Liz’s arms.

“What did you do?” Maria questioned.

“She’s asleep.” Liz commented.

“I just calmed her nerves.” Max said and looked lovingly at the picture Liz and Zan created.

“I don’t think we should talk here. And I want to settle this once and for all. I hate how this is causing Zan nightmares.” Liz said.

“Nightmares?” Max was alarmed.

“Why don’t you just follow us back at our house? I’ll tell you there.” Liz spoke and went straight back out to her car to put Zan in her booster seat. The others quickly followed and Maria started closing down the shop.

Two cars convoyed towards Liz’s house. On the way there, Maria began asking Liz her questions.

“…And what was that with Max?” Maria asked.

“He can heal.” was Liz’s simple response.

“Heal? As in sick people heal?”

“Yes.”

“You knew about this and didn’t even bother to tell me, your bestest friend?”

“Maria, I’m sorry but with everything going on, it must have slipped my mind.”

“Something as big as this slipped your mind.” Mara said sardonically.

“Maria, look, I don’t know why I didn’t tell you, ok? I’m sorry. But now you know so can we please drop this till we get home?”

“Fine.” Maria stayed silent in her seat for only a couple minutes.

Liz knew Maria couldn’t hold her tongue even if her life depended on it. She began a countdown in her head. But even before Liz could reach the number 10, Maria was speaking again.

“So…what exactly is going to happen when we get home?”

“Honestly, Maria, I don’t know. But I can’t let Zan keep going through this. Do you know that she wouldn’t let me out of her sight in playschool today? It’s like we were back in her first day.” Liz told her.

“Poor Zan.” Maria looked back at her honorary niece sleeping peacefully in her seat. “So what if Max wants to have visitation rights, will you let him?”

“I guess. This is all really confusing for me too, Maria. I mean, I know he means it when he said that he didn’t want to take Zan away from me. But I can also see the longing in his eyes when he looks at her.”

“And you too.”

“Huh?”

“He looks at you longingly too.”

Liz sighed heavily. “I don’t even know where we stand anymore.”

“Well, hopefully this talk will smooth out everything once and for all. But once that’s done, what’s gonna happen between you and Max? Are you going to get back together with him?”

“Admittedly, I do want that. But I’m torn between being with him and not, you know. If it’s just me, I’d say yes in a heartbeat, but what about Zan?”

“I may not know what I’m saying here because the decision has to come from you. But…Max does love you Liz and he loves Zan too. Would it be so wrong if you and him got back together? Zan is both yours and Max’s, so if it works out between the two of you, you could get married and live as one happy family.”

“If only it was that simple, Maria, I’d be living in a fairytale and I can get to have my happily ever after.” Liz said as she parked her car in her driveway.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Tiph, I'm sorry.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 27

As soon as Liz got to settle Zan in her bedroom, she quickly walked out to face Max and his companions. Maria was happy just to watch Max and especially that friend of his to be chewed out by her own best friend.

“First off, I don’t appreciate you all barging into my store like that.” Liz began. “And second, whatever is going on between Max and I and Zan is our business, no one else’s.”

“Hey, they started that niece thi—” Maria began to interrupt.

“Just us.” Liz leveled her with a stare.

Maria kept her mouth shut after that. Michael smirked at her and she just sneered at him. No one else moved and they were all standing in Liz’s living room.

“Max?” Liz had her eyebrows raised.

“Um, yeah.” Max turned to the rest of the group. “You guys can go home, Liz and I have a lot to talk about still.”

“What? No! Max, we’re not leaving.” Isabel insisted.

“Iz, Liz is right. This is about our lives, not yours.”

Isabel gasped in disbelief and crossed her arms over her chest. “Fine, I won’t say anything but I am not leaving.”

“Isabel.” Alex began.

“No! We are NOT leaving!”

“You do know that this is my house, don’t you?” Liz informed her. “I don’t want to fight with you or resort to throwing you out but I will not have your presence scaring my daughter when she wakes up. She’s been through so much already.”

“I understand Liz and I am sorry for that dinner incident. But Zan is…she’s a beautiful child and she’s…she’s my niece too.” Isabel said with tear-filled eyes.

Liz sighed, “I know that you have the yearning to want to get to know her. But Max and I have to settle this first before I could introduce the rest of you to her.”

“The rest? So Zan knows that Max is her father?” Michael spoke up.

Liz looked exasperatedly at Michael then gazed into Max’s eyes. “Yes.”

“That’s why she pushed me away.” Max said somberly.

Liz could only nod at the pain that flashed in Max’s amber orbs. “She knows who you might be, Max. But she’s afraid that you’ll take her away. That’s what her nightmares are about. She doesn’t even want to be left alone in playschool now. All of this is taking a heavy toll on her. And it pains me to see Alissandra this way.”

“Liz, I don’t want Zan to suffer through all of this either. I told you, I will not take her away from you no matter what.” Max vowed.

“Then what do you really want, Max? Why bring them with you to the store?” Liz asked.

“They wanted to see her.” Max answered.

“But you scared her instead.” Liz sighed, she was getting tired of this whole mess. “Look, I understand that you want to get to know her but you could have at least called me first. She’s been through hell last night, Max. If you had called me about this visit, I could have told you that it wasn’t a good time rather than just dropping by unexpectedly and aggravating the situation.” Liz said.

“I know that you have rights to see your child, Max, and I’m ok with that…IF Zan is yours. And the only way to confirm that is to have a test which you don’t want to go through. So help me out here, what are we supposed to do?” Liz questioned him.

“I don’t know either, Liz. The only things I know with certainty are: Zan is mine, I won’t take her away from you and that…I love you.”

Liz blinked silently as she watched Max’s face. Then she looked at the other slightly embarrassed glances from the group. “How could you be so sure that she is yours? You have no proof!”

“Yes, I do, it’s just…”

“Max!” Michael warned.

“It’s just what? What? Are there more lies that I don’t know about?” Liz prodded.

Max remained silent.

Max’s silence gave Liz the answer she was mutely praying to be wrong. “Oh my God! I don’t believe you!”

“Liz, it’s not that simple.”

“What else are you hiding that’s so complicated? I’ve been so open to you from the beginning and this is what I get in return?!” Tears started to well in Liz’s doe eyes.

“I can’t tell you just like that. But I was meaning to, but you threw me out even before I could explain.” Max replied.

“What? You mean you were planning on telling her without even asking us about this decision of yours?!” Michael yelled.

“Hey! If it concerns Liz and Zan, you better believe that he should tell her.” Maria responded.

“Michael, just shut up.” Alex told him.

“So your friends know.” Liz scoffed. “Of course THEY would know but not me, right? How could you even expect me to believe another word that comes out of your mouth? I don’t even know if you meant it when you said that you love me.” Liz wept.

“That’s true! What I feel for you is real, Liz. Please you have to believe that. You must have felt that.” Max started to tear up as well.

“I don’t even know what to feel anymore.” Liz whispered as numbness started to fill her.

“Liz, I love you. You love me too, right? Right?” Max pleaded.

Liz just stared in Max’s eyes and more tears fell.

“Everything was fine before you came into our lives. Why? Why did all this have to happen?” Liz spoke.

“Could you all just please give us a few minutes.” Max asked the rest of the group.

Isabel nodded and ushered everyone else out of the room. She felt so sorry for Max. She could see in their eyes how much the couple loved each other, but all the secrets are tearing them apart. For Max’s sake, they had to resolve this now. She couldn’t imagine what Max would do to himself if he didn’t get Liz back. And that scared her.

After everyone has gone, Max went to Liz and held on to her arms. He cupped her chin and made her look up at him. Seeing her broken expression pained him and he began to wipe her tears away.

”I don’t know what sort of fate or destiny we have. But I think no matter what, our paths would have crossed sooner or later. I really believe that, Liz. And what we have is real. Please don’t ever doubt that. I’ve been in love with you since I saw you. I think I’ve been in love with you even before I met you. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s how I feel. I do love you, Liz. I love you with my entire existence.”

Liz held on to Max’s hand that was cupping her face and leaned on it. She loved being revered by him and he offered a sense of protectiveness that no one has ever given her. But her mind was screaming at her to settle this first. They had to think about Zan first.

“What do you plan to do about Zan?” Liz asked.

“I meant what I said, I don’t want to take her away from you. But…I would like to be a part of your lives…and maybe in the future…”

“Something more.” They both whispered.

“I love you, Liz.” Max leaned down and was about to kiss her when the doorbell rang.

Liz was startled a bit then left Max’s arms to answer the door. The rest of the group came back in the living room to see who was at the door.

Liz quickly opened it and the presence of the person on the other side shocked Max and the others.

Liz gave him a smile and hugged the man quickly. “This is a surprise. What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I thought I’d just check in on you and Zan.” Cal said looking straight in the eyes of his king.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Bonnie, you know how much I love reading your FB. Just keep 'em coming.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 28

“Gwampa Cal!” Zan ran from the hallway and jumped up into Cal’s arms as the shapeshifter hoisted the little girl up.

She was woken up by the doorbell and she wanted to see who it was. When she saw her Grandpa Cal, she ran past Max and her mom to greet him.

“Hey there, Zan.” Cal was looking into Max’s cold stare.

Max had his fists balled at his sides. He had no idea Cal knew Zan and was obviously very close to his daughter for her to call him grandpa. The rest of his group shared the same sentiment.

“Gwampa, I need to talk to you.” Zan whispered loudly.

“What’s wrong?” asked Cal as he focused all of his attention to Zan.

Zan looked at Max then back at Cal. “I don’t yike him.”

“You don’t? How come?”

“Cause he wants to take me way.”

“Take you where?”

Zan shook her head, “I don’t know but it’s fawr.”

Liz then decided to get back in the conversation, “Cal, not that I’m glad that you’re here, because I am. But it’s just…well, we’ve got company and…” Liz kept looking back at Max and his friends. She noticed the scowl Max had on and wondered why.

“Now is that how you greet your uncle?” Cal smiled and gave Liz a peck on the cheek.

Max was now seething. How dare he be this close to HIS loved ones and not inform him about it.

“Mommy, I was telling Gwampa Cal that they’re goings to take me way. I asked for his hewp.”

“Zan, I thought you were asleep.” Liz pulled Zan away and settled her down on the ground.

“But I not tiwred no mowe.” Zan said as she held on to Liz’s hand.

“How dare you.” Max whispered.

“Max, don’t.” Isabel warned and tried to tug on his arm.

Max ignored her completely and strode towards Cal. “How dare you! I asked you several times and not once did you tell me you were this close to them!”

“What? Max, what’s going on? How do you know Cal?” Liz looked between Max and Cal.

“Max.” Cal stepped back.

“How many more lies are there? How much more information are you keeping from me?”

Zan moved behind Liz. Liz saw Maria from the corner and motioned for her to come get Zan.

Maria quickly went to Liz and Zan. “Hey cutie, why don’t we go to your mommy’s room and watch some cartoons huh?”

Zan quickly glanced at Liz. When she saw Liz nod and smile, Zan pouted but still went with Maria. Once Liz knew they were in her room, she turned to Max. “What the hell is going on here? How do you know each other?”

“There’s more to this you don’t know, Liz.” Max looked at her.

“Then why don’t you tell me, damn it! I’m tired of all this!”

“Go ahead, you heard YOUR QUEEN. Tell her what she has to know.” Max ordered Cal.

“What? Wait…queen? Max, what are you talking about?”

“Liz, when your mother was pregnant with you, you almost died.” Cal began.

“What?” Liz turned to Cal.

“I came across your mother as she was driving herself to the hospital. At that time, I needed amniotic fluid for one of my charges, Erin.” Cal couldn’t stop himself for divulging everything he knew.

“Erin…” she turned to Max, “Your Erin?”

Max nodded.

“What does she have to do in all this?” Liz asked.

“It’s your amniotic fluid that saved her life.” Cal replied.

“My…I think I need to sit down.” Liz said as she started to sway dangerously.

Max quickly noticed and held Liz close, leading her towards the couch so she could sit. Max ordered Isabel to get some water and Isabel, wanting to be able to do something, quickly complied. Once Liz has gotten a few gulps down her throat she began to ask some more questions.

”How did I almost die? And how did you get the fluid? And how did it save Erin’s life?” Liz asked one after the other.

“You almost died because your umbilical cord was wrapped around your neck and your moving was making it tighten around you. I got the fluid by making a small incision in Nancy’s womb. And the fluid was used to replenish that of Erin’s pod.” Cal answered mechanically.

“Pod? Womb? Wha—? Can someone please give me straight answers here.” Liz pleaded.

“Liz.” Max got her attention, “you do know the history of the Roswell Crash, don’t you?”

“Yes, of course, it’s why Roswell is all about alien themes and stuff.”

“We were in it.” Max said in one huff.

“You? In the crash?”

“We were in the 1947 crash and Michael, Isabel, Erin and I were in pods. When the crash happened, Erin’s pod started leaking. Cal is our protector and he went to look for fluids to replace the one leaking out of Erin’s pod. When he met your mother, she was pregnant and was on her way to the hospital. There, he took some fluid from your mother’s womb. But when he saw what was happening to you while you were still in her belly, Cal used his powers to unwrap the cord from your neck. He got the amniotic fluid, and sealed his incision back again as if it wasn’t even there. He took the fluids back to Erin but by that time, we were already gone. Michael, Isabel and I have already hatched out of our pods and were taken in by the families we have come to know as our own.” Max explained.

“So you, you and you,” Liz looked at the three, “are a—“ She paused to shake her head slightly. “You’re not a—, I mean, you can’t be aliens…are you?”

Max just looked at her silently.

Liz gasped and covered her mouth with her hands, “Oh my God.”

“Liz, calm down…” Cal started.

“And you’re one of them too?” Liz was shocked.

“Yes.” Cal answered seriously.

Liz started to pant for air. “I…I don’t know what to think of this…I…I need air…”

Max shifted closer to try to comfort her but Liz flinched at his touch.

“How could you not tell me of all this? How could you lie to me about something like this? Was anything between us that’s ever real? How could you…” Liz spaced out for a minute.

“Liz?” Max was looking intently at her.

“I remember…I saw something like this…exactly as you’ve told me…I…I saw the crash…and your life…and…Erin…and your daughter…. Oh God, Zan.”

Max quickly held on to Liz, “What are you talking about?”

“I remember it all…your entire life…I know it…I saw it.” Liz insisted.

“You saw? How?” Max asked.

Liz shook her head and tears started to fall, “I don’t know. I…I can’t remember how.”

“The bond.” Cal spoke.

“What?” Max turned to him while still trying to calm Liz down.

“Did you bond with her?” Cal asked Max.

“What are you talking about? You already said we had a bond!”

“No, I meant a bond that was given in love and consent, a marital bond! You bonded with her didn’t you?” Cal was getting angry.

“No! I don’t even know what bond you’re talking about this time! How could I have bonded with her if I didn’t know?!”

“Max, calm down.” Isabel instructed as she kept watching Liz.

Max looked at his sister then glanced at Liz. “Lizzie, I’m sorry. I don’t even know what’s going on anymore.”

“Max, have you and Liz been intimate yet?” Cal questioned.

“That is none of your business.” Max replied sternly.

“Yes it is if it concerns Liz’s safety.” Cal said.

“Huh? What about her safety?” Michael spoke up this time.

“If Max and Liz have become intimate, it’s like our version of a wedding. Only in Antar, we don’t have divorces. If you have created a bond out of love, that is forever. The statement, ‘Till death do us part’, applies to us, literally. And if a marital bond was indeed created between the king and queen, all of Antar would know it.”

“Know how?” Isabel asked.

“It’s like a signal that’s switched on to signify that the royal throne of Antar has been reclaimed.”

“What are you saying, Cal?” Max pressed on with a growing knot in his stomach.

“Long live King Maxwell and Queen Elizabeth.”
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

To Lissa, Tanya, Tiph and everyone else who waited up for an update. I'm really sorry that this was delayed.

And Tiph, the reason why Cal didn’t feel it is because he already knows that Liz is queen and the she and Max are alive and well.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 29

“Liz?”

“Liz, wake up.”

Liz heard faint voices coming from somewhere but she didn’t know where.

“Lizzie, wake up.”

She was certain that was Maria.

“Liz.”

“Max.” Liz murmured.

“Yes, Liz, it’s me, Max. Come on now. You have to wake up.” Max urged her on.

Liz’s eyelids slowly fluttered open. That’s when she saw Cal, Max and Maria’s faces hovering above her. She slowly sat up on the couch while being assisted by Max from behind.

“I thought it was all a dream.” Liz whispered.

Max was saddened by her statement, “It’s not, Liz. I’m sorry.”

Liz looked at him and nodded. “So…are you…all…aliens?”

“No, Michael, Isabel and I are. Um…so are Cal and Zan.” Max answered softly.

Liz swiftly looked at the person she has come to care for like an uncle.

“You...you’re…you’re one of them?” Liz asked.

Max flinched at that. But the surprising thing is Liz felt it.

She looked back quickly at Max, “I’m sorry, that’s not how I meant it.”

Max nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Liz asked Cal angrily.

“I’m sorry, your highness.” Cal bowed his head.

Liz was stunned at how Cal addressed her.

”Don’t ever call me that.” Liz spoke firmly.

“As you wish.” Cal replied, his programming kicking in.

“Please, just talk to me like you used to. Why didn’t you ever tell me all this? You knew what was happening. I treated you like family, how could you lie to me?” Liz questioned Cal.

Cal was deeply saddened that he has hurt Liz. “I’m so sorry, Liz. I didn’t tell you because I wanted to keep you and Zan away from all this and protect you the way I was meant to. I guess I should have said something when Max came into the picture…”

“Yeah, you should have.” Max spoke.

Cal just looked at him then turned back to Liz. “I’m really sorry.”

Liz stayed silent. Then her eyes started to widen as she had a realization. “You knew about Zan.”

“Yes.” Cal replied.

Liz looked at Max and tried to gauge his expressions. Then she started making her conclusions out loud.

“You’ve known about me even before I was born. Ever since I was small I remember you coming to visit us. And you know about Zan being what she is. And you’ve known Max and Erin for a long time…. Oh my God, you left Zan for me to find, didn’t you?” Liz exclaimed.

“Yes.” Cal answered.

“Why?”

“Because you were the only one that was fit to be her mother. You and Erin had DNA structures that would be found in siblings. When I injected some of your amniotic fluid in her, it restructured her DNA. Even a regular person would have mistaken you to be sisters. In Antar, our planet, when a mother dies and the father is incapable of taking care of the baby,” Cal shot a brief glance at Max. “That child will be passed on to the next closest relative of the mother. And since you and Erin were like sisters, you were the best parent for Zan.”

“Sisters.” Liz whispered. Then she slowly turned to Max as her mind began to compile all these new information. “Is that why you fell in love with me?”

“What?” Max was shocked. “No! Liz, you and Erin are different. I’ll admit that some features are the same but you and her look different from each other. Besides, I told you, I was in love with you even before I knew you. I know this will sound mean but Erin and I…. We never really…I guess you could say…what we felt for each other was companionship. We were the same, she was my friend. I cared for her deeply but I never really…”

“Loved her.” Liz finished the sentence for him.

Max simply nodded. “You’re the only one I ever loved, Liz. The only one. I’ve felt you the day you were born.”

“What?” Maria shrieked and everyone turned to look at her.

“Sorry, it just sounded really cheesy.” she said sheepishly. “Continue, this is really interesting.”

“Well, that was just that. When I was four, I felt something, a presence inside me that I couldn’t explain. But when Erin died and I gave up my child for adoption, I closed myself off from everything about our alien heritage. And now that I opened up all these feelings again, they’re still there. It was you, Liz. It was always you.” Max told Liz with all honesty.

Liz didn’t know how to respond. She loved Max, really she did. Despite all this new information she still loved him. But she was still upset that Max hid all this from her.

“There is something else, Liz.” Cal spoke again.

“What?” Liz asked, worried about what other news they would bring.

“I found out from Max that Zan is a seer.”

“A see— No, well, she can, it only happens sometimes.”

“But can she see the future, things that are about to take place?” Cal pressed on.

“Yes.” Liz answered softly.

Cal quickly took his mobile and called someone. “This is Langley. I want you to send two out here to Roswell.”

Max swiped the phone off Cal’s hand and immediately ended the call. “What are you doing?”

“I’m calling reinforcements.” Cal answered coolly.

“Reinforcements?” Why?” Liz asked.

“Liz, I don’t want to scare you but Zan is the heir to your thrones, yours and Max’s, especially Max’s. Because of her parentage, she is more powerful than all four of you combined. And someone might want to take her and use her to their advantage.” Cal explained.

“Wait, four? I thought it was just Max, Michael and Isabel who have powers.” Liz questioned.

Cal sighed, he didn’t want to be the one to tell her this but he didn’t have a choice anymore. “You have powers too Liz. Well, what we have are not really powers, just advanced human capabilities, but I understand how they would look like powers to a regular human.”

“But I’m a regular human.”

“That I changed. I’ve used my powers on you twice before you were born. That’s why Max felt you, and why you are most suited to be Zan’s mother. Because of that, he has chosen you as his queen even before he knew who he was. Zan chose you to be the Queen mother. In all those times that she’d call for you, reached for you, she was forming a connection with you. That connection is another one of our unbreakable bonds in Antar, a bond formed between a mother and her child. And Max has a marital bond with you. So trust me, you do have powers Liz, we just have to see what they are.”

Liz suddenly exploded. On top of everything else, she was now an alien too?! “Excuse me, but you’re asking me to trust you?! After all these things you’ve hidden from me, you’re asking me to trust you?!” Liz stood up and looked down at Cal. “I did, Uncle Cal.” she said sarcastically. “But not anymore.”

“I thought of you as family. My family considered you as such and this is what we get in return?! Lies?! You knew that you’ve turned me into one of you, yet you never said anything. What if I suffered something deadly from it? What if what you did wasn’t compatible with my DNA? What if I had died because you made me an alien? And Zan, you manipulated me knowing I would take her. Why didn’t you just give her to us in the first place! What if I didn’t take her? What if I hadn’t adopted her? What if someone else found her before me?”

“Liz.” Cal pleaded with her to understand.

“No! I want you out of here! I never want you to come near us again!” Liz screamed.

“I can’t do that, Liz.” Cal stood up. “I have to be here so I can protect you and Zan.”

“Protect us? Why weren’t you here when my parents died? Why didn’t you protect them too? Zan and I are royalty after all. So who are you going to protect us from now? You? Max? Them?” She pointed at the aliens one by one. “Or are there other aliens and monsters out there that you haven’t told me about yet?”

Everyone was silent, until they heard a soft sob.

Liz quickly turned around to where the sob came from. And through a slightly opened door, she saw Zan with tears streaming down her face.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Chapter 30

“Zan.” Liz whispered as she saw her daughter’s face.

Zan gripped the edge of the door as she looked at her mother. She was sobbing hard and gasping for air. She knew her mommy loved her, she could feel it from within. But hearing the conversation that transpired among all the grown-ups, she wasn’t so sure anymore.

“Zan, come here baby.” Liz stretched her arms out towards her little one. Tears welled in her eyes upon seeing her daughter’s face.

Zan bit her lip and slowly let go of the door. She walked out of the room and took one step at a time. She knew everyone was looking at her as she looked back up at their eyes.

Liz knelt down on the floor and with a bittersweet smile called out for Zan once more.

As soon as Zan was near her mother, she ran to her and hugged her tight. Sobs racked her body and Liz tried her best to comfort her.

Everyone in the room looked on and felt the pain that the small child was going through. They didn’t need to have alien powers to feel her anguish; it was clearly visible in the way she clung to her mother and her cries that filled the room.

Liz rocked her baby back and forth, alternately rubbing small circles on her back and cradling her head. She kissed Zan’s temple every so often and whispered soothing words to her little ear.

Maria looked at the two and tears silently rolled down her face. The same happened with Isabel and she cursed herself for being so insensitive and selfish. She looked over at Alex and gave him a slight nod. It was time to go.

Michael stared at the small girl being comforted by her mother. She was lucky that it was Liz that found her. Just the love Liz has shown for her child unmistakably told him that she could be trusted and he berated himself for being so callous towards her.

Cal hated that he has caused such hurt to the only two people left that he considered his family. He couldn’t look at them and not feel the sadness for the pain he had brought to them.

And Max, he was crying for both Liz and Zan too. He wanted, needed to go to them and comfort them in his arms but he couldn’t. He knew he didn’t have the right to unless Liz gave him the permission to do so. But when he heard Zan speak, there was no other pain that could have hurt him more.

“D-do y-you s-still love m-me, Mommy?” Zan spoke in a stutter as she tried to control her tearful gasps.

Liz drew in her breath sharply as Zan voiced her question. More tears fell from her eyes. “Of course, baby. How could you even think that? You know mommy loves you so much, right?”

“But…but I’m a monstewr…” Zan wept harshly.

“Oh God, no, sweetheart. No, you’re not. You’re my adorable, sweet and beautiful little girl.” Liz brushed away Zan’s soft hair.

“Are you going to…to give me way?”

Liz tightened her hold on her daughter. “Never, baby. You’re mine. You hear me? Look at me.”

Zan pulled away slightly to look at her mother and she was surprised to see her crying too. “I’m sowy, Mommy. Pwease…don’t cwy. I don’t mean to make you cwy. I’ll be good, I pwomise. Just don’t give me way, Mommy. Pwease. Even if I’m a monstewr, I can be good. Pwease don’t give me way.” Zan pleaded sobbingly.

“You’re not a monster. You’re my daughter. You understand me? You’re MY daughter, my little girl, MY baby. And I’m your mommy. I will never EVER give you away, Zan. Do you hear me?”

“Les.” Zan nodded and clung to her mother tightly as she continued to cry.

Mother and daughter wept as Liz continued to rock her child back and forth. She hated that she wasn’t able to shield her daughter from the words that came out of her mouth. And she hated that they were in this situation. But one thing kept nagging at her. If all this didn’t happen, would Zan still be in her life? Would she still be her mother?

She shook her head slightly to banish those thoughts away from her mind. She and Zan are a family. Zan is her daughter and the most important thing in her life. And no one can ever take her baby away from her. She stood up slowly with Zan still in her arms. She kissed her baby’s face and began to walk to her bedroom.

Max took a step towards her. “Liz, I’m—”

Liz stopped but didn’t turn to look at anyone else. “Just leave us alone.” she whispered. “Haven’t you done enough?” Then she proceeded to her room and kicked the door closed behind her leaving everyone else to stare at it.

Max’s lips trembled and he felt dejected. He turned to face everyone but his eyes landed first at Cal. “Why did you have to show up? I was going to tell her everything! But no, you just had to ruin it!”

“Max” Isabel started.

“No! I don’t want to hear it Isabel. Just leave.”

Isabel put her fist to her mouth and bit hard to stifle her sob. Alex couldn’t say Max was wrong but he understood why Isabel felt the need to see her niece. He quietly walked to his wife and put a hand on her shoulder to pull her to him.

“Max, you know why we wanted to be here—” Michael tried but Maria cut him off.

“Save it, Spaceboy. I’ve had it with all of you. Now leave, all of you just leave them alone!” Maria went up to everyone and directed them to the door.

“Maria, I can’t. I have to stay and see that they’re alright.” Max tried to make her see why he needed to be there.

“No! Go! They’ll be fine. Just go, Max. I don’t think it will be a good idea if she comes out and sees that you’re still here. You don’t know what Liz is like when it comes to Zan. Just go. I know that you love her buddy, but you need to give them their space. Give her time to think things over.”

“Will you call me once they come out of that room? I don’t care what time it is. Just please, let me know.” Max insisted.

Maria sighed as she gave in. “Fine, but not until Liz says it’s ok. Now go.”

“Thank you. And please tell her I’m so sorry for everything.” Max said softly and miserably left.

“Maria…” Cal went to her next.

“I didn’t think you’d be doing this to them, to her. You, of all people.” Maria shook her head at him.

“I never wanted them to find out this way.”

“What did you think, Cal? You should have told her long before this. She had a right to know.”

“I thought I was doing the right thing to protect them.”

“Well obviously you thought wrong.”

“I know, and I am truly sorry for it. Please let her know I’ll be in that bed and breakfast across the store. I don’t think I’ll be welcome to stay here right now. I’ll come back soon though. I’m leaving just so Liz can have her space. But I will be back, no matter what you or her say. I need to be here to protect them, now more than ever.”

“Fine, it’s your funeral. Goodnight Cal.”

“Goodnight Maria.”

Maria nodded and closed the door. She turned and leaned back on it and wept for her best friend and her niece.

Back in Liz’s bedroom, the pair were lying in bed, underneath the covers. Zan was sucking on her thumb and would still breathe in harshly from time to time. Liz wiped away her tears and she was now playing with Liz’s hair using her free hand while Liz kept rubbing her back and kissing her forehead tenderly.

“I’m sorry you heard that, baby. And I’ll be honest with you, I’m still confused about it all. But one thing I know for sure is that you are not a monster.”

Zan looked at her with her doe amber eyes but remained silent.

“You’re not. All I know is that you and I are human…with special powers.” Liz gave Zan a small smile that Zan returned.

Liz kissed her baby once more and pulled her close, wrapping her arms around the little girl. “I love you, Zan. Always remember that, ok baby?”

Zan nodded and laid her head against her mother’s chest.

Due to the exhausting events that had occurred that day, both Liz and Zan fell asleep in that position. As Liz’s hands lay on her daughter’s head and back, they began emitting a soft white light completing the bond between a mother and a child that Zan started years ago.