Borrowed Time (A/U,Teen,M/L,7/1;1/1)

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Borrowed Time (A/U,Teen,M/L,7/1;1/1)

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Thanks for the beautiful banner go to Behrsgirl77.
:D

Title: Borrowed Time

Author: LovinGuerin2Much aka Frances

Rating: Teen

Disclaimer: This is not a happy fic, it's something that I just felt like writing. Deals with death. Just wanted to give you a warning. Hope you read it anyways.

Summary: Everything seems to be going wonderfully for the new Mrs. Evans, what happens when a simple telephone calls rocks her life and those of the people she loves.

<center>~*~</center>

Present:

Pins and needles, that’s the only way that I could describe what I am feeling as I walk towards the big shiny glass building. My hand shakes a little as I push open the door to my Doctor’s office. Quickly signing in seeing how I was already 20 minutes late to one of the most important appointments I have ever had.

I swear I could hear the seconds ticking by, tick, tick, and tick as I wait in the lobby. Call my name already.

“Mrs. Evans the doctor will see you now.” Then nurse holds the door of the waiting room open and smiles at me.

She probably knows what’s wrong with me, is that why she is looking at me sympathetically.

Taking a deep breath I follow her not to an exam room but to the doctor’s actual office. Oh shit, this isn’t good, this cant be good.

More waiting… seems that all I do lately is wait for something to happen. Taking a deep breathe I try to not stare at the posters that decorate the walls. I don’t want to know the name and function of every part of my vagina. There’s a huge book shelf to the left of my seat.

Sighing, I see that it’s all about vaginas too, great… I close my eyes and wait.

2 and a half years earlier:

“How many kids do you think we are going to have babe?” Max runs his fingers though my hair sending little chills down my spine. I try to not purr.

“I don’t know 3 or 4 sounds like a good number to me, what do you think?” I turn my face slightly and look up at from the nook of his arm as he hugs me a little tighter.

“Good number, I like it, so when do we start making em?” He nips my earlobe and I laugh.

“I think that we need to be married, and since that is happening in 48 hours, shouldn’t be too long of a wait.” I lay my hand on his flat stomach as I smile. I love him so much and still can’t believe that I am going to be Mrs. Elizabeth Evans soon.

2 years later:

“Damn it, damn it.” Tears escape from my eyes even though I try to hold them in. It isn’t supposed to be this way, 2 years and nothing. Negative… every missed period, every moment of waiting with bated breathe for what...it’s always negative.

“Babe you’ve been in there for a while, are you okay, do you need me to come in there?” Max, my sweet optimistic husband calls through the crack of the bathroom door.

“No, I’m fine just give me a minute please; I’m not feeling so good.” I sit on the edge of the tub, used pregnancy test wand in my hand and tell myself that I can cry but only for a few minutes, I’m always the strong one right? I rest my face in my palms and cry silently.

Present:

“How are you today Mrs. Evans?” The doctor asks as he sits across from me. My chart is in his hands, I see post it notes sticking out of several pages, but try not to stare too hard.

“Nervous, anxious.” I reply, in my mind I am screaming to cut the small talk and get down to what I was here for.

“So we got the results back from your biopsy, I am afraid that they weren’t good.” He frowns and pushes his glasses up farther on his nose and waits for my reaction.

“I figured that much, when I got the call to come back, I‘ve never been called back before after a pap smear.” I feel tears prickling my eyes but I dont want to cry in front of him.

He begins to talk, but I can’t seem to hear him, his voice filters in and out of my head, my heart is beating so fast, can he hear it?

“…..Cancer Mrs. Evans, I am so sorry to have to….”

Did I just hear the word cancer, he’s talking about me, and I have cancer?

I sit there and it could have been 15 minutes or 15 hours that passed, but I couldn’t tell you, I get up and he pats my shoulder, and tells me that I’ll be getting a call to set up appointments for further evaluation and testing.

I nod and don’t say anything at all, I want to get out of there, the walls are closing in around me, I don’t want to scream but that’s what I feel inside, I want to cry and scream and run.

Stepping outside of the shiny glass building the sun seems so much brighter; I have to close my eyes slightly because I can’t see.

I go to my car and sit inside; I don’t know what to do. Who should I call? How do you tell people that love you that you have cervical cancer, and that it doesn’t seem like I’ll ever have the 3 or 4 children that my husband and I talked about. I lay my forehead on the stirring wheel and cry, just cry and cry.

1 year later:

“Look at me Max, you can’t want to be here, please go.” I lay my head against the cold porcelain of the toilet, the chemotherapy session always leave me feeling like this, like I want to puke out every ounce of food I have ever eaten.

Max enters the bathroom and runs a washcloth under the sink before placing it on the back of my neck.

“I love you, you know that, please stop pushing me away Liz please.” Max sits down on the edge of the bathtub and waits to see what I am going to say afraid to touch me, since I always recoil.

“Look at me Max, I am sick, I have no hair what are you doing here, I can’t give you children, I know that you want that, don’t feel sorry for me please.” A sharp pain in my stomach makes me wince as I close my eyes.

I love my husband I really do, but there is no way that you could understand unless you were in my shoes, I have lost so much weight, all my hair, my skin is brittle I cant stand to look at myself, much less have the man I love see me like this, and it’s not fair to him, he shouldn’t have to deal with all of this, with me… with cancer.

Closing my eyes I hope for something anything but this.

1 year later:

Why is everyone crying, such gloomy faces. I walk into my apartment and there is my mom and dad, my friends, Max and his family.

Did something happen while I wasn’t here. I see Max across the room, his face is in his hands, and he’s weeping. What’s wrong?

“Max, babe what happened?” He doesn’t answer me. This is scaring me now.

“Hello, why don’t you answer me, why won’t anyone answer me?” I rush across the room to Maria my best friend of 20 years and wave my hands in her face.

Nothing. I want to cry now; I feel my whole body shaking.

“Liz its okay, you’re not alone.” I turn around shocked to hear the voice of my very best friend Alex was has been dead for over 5 years.

“What is going on Alex, why am I talking to you, your gone, am I dreaming?” I run my hand through my hair and then stop realizing that my long brown hair is back, the hair that I had lost over 2 years ago was once again flowing down my back.

“This cant be.” I close my eyes and open them again, everyone is still crying, no one sees me, and there is Alex standing a foot away from me.

“I’m dead aren’t I?” I feel tears sliding down my cheeks.

Alex wraps his arms around me and leads me outside to the patio that was not being occupied by any of the people in the house.

“You are Liz, but I’m here for you, I am going to explain everything to you and help you as much as I can.” He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

This can’t be happening, I didn’t get to do so many things, it cant be my time. I don’t want to die… I cry, and cry as Alex tries to comfort me.

I close my eyes and when I open them I am standing along the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The water is so blue, it’s crystal clear. The wind is caressing my face, I feel better.

“Alex can I come back, can I see the people that I love again?” I feel peace here on this beautiful beach.

“We're never far away Liz, they can’t see us, but we are there, you need to do some things first...you have to go home.” He points up, I look and I see an opening in the clouds. There is this pink and blue-ish ray of light shining down on me now.

I shake my head and moments later I am flying, I feel weightless, I feel complete and healthy for the first time in a long time. Images are flashing before my eyes, happy times, the last thing I remember is seeing Max's face smiling at me, happy for me and promising to love me forever.

The End
Last edited by LovinGuerin2Much on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.