Blink (ML, Mature, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

sprayadhesive
Addicted Roswellian

Blink (ML, Mature, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

Post by sprayadhesive »

Blink
Rating: Teen
Category: M/L
Summary: Liz tries to pass the time during her shift by daydreaming the time away, that is, until the subject of her daydreams comes into reality.
Disclaimer: I don’t own anything. The characters, the music, the movies referenced, none of it is mine.
Authors' Note(s): Just a little something I used to break my writer's block that plagued me the last two months. I didn't even have it beta'd, so I hope there aren't too many mistakes.

Thanks, Elodie!

Blink

He’s on the counter now, rubbing his legs together. He makes an odd noise, probably the result of skin against skin and my eyes narrow.

I grab a dish towel from beneath the counter and wind it up, never once taking my eyes off of the sight in front of me.

I don’t make any sudden movements. It could scare him off.

My fingers lightly trace the counter top in front of me. I inch closer to him, trying to make him not notice my approach. I somehow make it to one end of the counter without him noticing. The diner isn’t very busy right now – only a few people are dining in some booths. No one is seated in my section. It’s only an hour to closing. Everyone else either doesn’t see, or ignores me as I stalk my prey.

I can see him, poised between the sugar bowl and the soda machine.

Maria hums happily and stands across the counter from me, leaning happily on her hands while her elbows rest against the counter top. Her entrance breaks my concentration and my attachment with the subject.

I curse under my breath as the cricket hops down from his perch, and I lose his location.

She feels the need to stare at me until I invite her to talk. Just like every single time she’s bored and wants to come over to my house, she will call me and tell me how bored she is until I finally catch the hint and tell her to come over. Right after I tell her to come over, I call her stupid. We’ve been friends for years and it still hasn’t sunk in that she can simply walk into my house and be welcome.

“How can I help you?” I say mockingly and position myself to mimic her pose.

She puts on a fake British accent, “Tea time.”

I scrunch my nose, “You don’t even like tea.”

“Figuratively.” She raises her eyebrows and then straightens up, waving her hand as if she’s brushing off my dismissal, “Can you cover for me for a few minutes? I forgot that I have to call my mom.”

She’s being rather vague, but I don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me. I wasn’t doing anything other than stalking a cricket. A rather noisy one, too. I nod.

She grins, “Thanks.”

And then she’s off, skipping happily into the back room.

I realize that a customer at one of Maria’s booths is getting low on soda, so I go over to their table and ask them if they would like a refill. They say yes. I’m at the soda machine refilling the glass when I hear the chirping start again.

The bell chimes above the doorway and the chirping stops.

I look over, curious as to who is coming to the diner so late at night. I can’t look away. I, Liz Parker, am in love.

*blink*

I cross over to him, my eyes on him and only him, the object of my affection, and he takes me into my arms. I rise on my tip toes and give him a kiss on the cheek, “Max, what are you doing here? I didn’t think that you’d be able to make it today.”

“I always have time for you.” He whispers in my ear.

He runs his fingers through my hair and I stare, transfixed into his eyes. They’re beautiful.

Soda Refill Guy is now standing behind Max’s shoulder; I can see his outline vaguely. “Excuse me?”

*blink*

“Excuse me?” I blink my eyes a few more times, sad to be woken out of my fantasy world. Max Evans is my dream man. And I mean that very literally. The only place he would ever want me is in my dreams. But, as long as I have these daydreams, I’m okay with that.

My eyes are still on the doorway, except Max isn’t standing there anymore. I look around and realize that he’s taken a seat in his usual booth, casually looking at the menu. It’s only then that I remember blankly staring at him with a goofy smile on my lips. Did he even see that? Did he look my way?

I blush and turn my attention to Soda Refill Guy, “I’ll be right with you.”

I finish filling the drink and return it to the table. The guy thanks me, and I nod. I haven’t yet worked up the courage to go and talk to Max, so I go back to the counter, qualifying it in my head as giving him time to look at the menu, and start making a milkshake. He always orders an Alien Blast.

I get the mixture together before placing the cup under the milkshake machine, and I press the button.

The cold moisture on my fingers causes a shiver to go up and down my spine.

*blink*

My skin prickles. I can feel his hands wrap slowly around my hips as he presses his body up against the back of mine. He lowers his head and kisses my ear affectionately.

I can tell that my own eyes are twinkling, so I divert my attention from the milkshake in front of me and turn my head to look into his eyes. I smile broadly.

He opens his mouth to speak, “Chirp.”

*blink*

I look around, my thoughts snapping back into place. The chirping has started again. This cricket is going to become the bane of my existence. I won’t rest until it is either dead or it finds its way out of the diner.

Something cold splashes against my hand and I take my finger off of the button on the machine. The milkshake is a little bit thinner than usual, but it will still taste the same. I get a glass and prepare the milkshake.

My hand opens the mini-fridge on the counter and grabs some whipped cream. I start to dispense some on top.

*blink*

I squirt some whipped cream on my finger and hold it out to him. He wraps his fingers around my lips and his tongue caresses my finger. I giggle suggestively and remove my finger, turning away from him. Something clangs on the counter.

*blink*

The whipped cream fell from my hand.

I can’t help it. Work is boring. I have to find a way to keep myself occupied. Maria diagnosed my disease as Love Sickness, but I like to refer to it as Parker Daydream Syndrome (PDS for short - confuses the hell out of my friend Alex. He always thinks that we’re referring to PMS and looses interest extremely quickly after that).

My symptoms tend to increase when Max is in eyesight. You would think that I would focus on the reality with him around, wanting to get to know him more, but I see him as unapproachable. He’s way out of my league.

Don’t get me wrong – my daydreams aren’t always about Max. Sometimes I make up different scenarios in my head, like what would happen if someone came into the café with a gun. But that’s only when I get really, really, really bored. Like in Math class.

I grab a straw and the cup and walk slowly over to Max’s table.

He smiles an amazing smile at me as I set the cup down. I blush and take out my order pad, “What can I get you?”

“Uh…” He pauses, and I feel like his gaze is penetrating my skin. I keep my eyes trained on the order pad in front of me. “A Blue Moon Burger and a Cherry Coke, please.”

*blink*

“And you.”

*blink*

“And you should probably check on that guy. He looks a little confused.” Max points past me and flashes me a smile. I blink again and then turn from him, still dazed.

I wonder if he knows the power that he has over me. Sometimes, when I see him smile at me like that, I feel like he knows. Especially after he catches me in one of my made up fantasies. I don’t know whether or not I should be pissed about it or not. Does it mean that he enjoys knowing that I like him, but he doesn’t like me the same way? I can never tell.

I make my way over to the man at the counter. He’s drumming his fingers to this obnoxious beat. I make my way behind the counter and plaster a smile on to my face, “How can I help you?”

“Uh… is it possible to get a Sprite to go?” He looks like he’s in a hurry.

I nod and write down his order, “It’ll be just a few seconds.”

He nods back to me. I go and place the orders in the window, but Michael isn’t anywhere to be found. I roll my eyes. He and Maria are probably in some argument over her not waiting tables again.

Those two fight like cats and dogs. They both absolutely loathe each other. The day they get along is the day that pigs will fly. No, I take that back. The day that they get along is the day that I make a move on Max. Never going to happen.

I get Finger Tapper’s soda, and he thanks me. He hands me a five dollar bill and tells me to keep the change. Apparently he was in a bigger hurry than I thought.

All of the other customers are quite content, and Finger Tapper is leaving, so there’s nothing for me to do but wait until Michael’s done with the orders. That is, nothing to do but find the cricket.

It’s started chirping again, this time by the mini-fridge that we have on the counter top. I walk over to it, straining my ears.

The chirping stops for a second, but then starts again once the cricket realizes that I’m not going anywhere. He’s a cheeky little thing.

My eyes fall on a bowl of strawberries that I can see through the transparent door of the fridge.

*blink*

I open the refrigerator door and take out the bowl of strawberries. His hand reaches past mine almost immediately and grabs one from the bowl.

“Max.” I giggle, slapping his hand lightly. He spins me around to face him, and holds the strawberry out for me to eat. I take a bite of it, and a trickle of juice falls down the side of my mouth.

Max moves the strawberry out from the reach of my teeth, and moves his own mouth to replace the strawberry. He kisses the juice clean, only reaching the corner of my mouth before he moves away from my mouth.

I whine, “Max, you tease.”

He smiles at me, but then his smile fades slowly.

“Liz?” He frowns.

*blink*

“Liz?” Maria’s standing next to me, a giant frown on her face. Suddenly, her mouth grows wide, and she rolls her eyes, “PDS strikes again.”

“Maria.” I blush and look around, “How long was I daydreaming for?”

“I don’t think that long.” Maria shrugs, “I just got done um… talking to my mom.”

“How is she?” I ask.

She looks stumped for a second, “Oh, she’s good. She’s baking some pies.”

“Yum.” I grin, “I’ll have to go and get some later.”

Maria shakes her head, almost frantically, “No uh… I mean… she’s baking them for the sheriff. You know… Kyle’s dad? They’re dating, now.”

I laugh, “Oh my god, I had no idea.”

Maria looks like she would rather not talk about it, “Let’s just say Kyle and I aren’t very happy about it.”

I just laugh at her. It’s too funny to resist.

Maria looks around the diner, and she turns to me with a smirk on her face, “Max Evans again? God, he’s here like every time you have a shift.” She looks at me pointedly, “If that doesn’t mean something, I don’t know what does.”

“Maria,” I whisper, “Just because he’s here a lot doesn’t mean anything. He just likes the food.”

“Liz,” She whispers back. She’s whispering too quietly for me to hear, so I lean in closer. Suddenly, she smacks her palm into my forehead, “Get a clue.”

“Ow.” I pout and rub my forehead.

Maria just laughs at me. She looks to Max’s table, “Where is his food?”

“I don’t know; I lost track of Michael for a while.” I shrug, “I put the order in.”

Maria looks a little guilty, but I don’t see why, “Oh, really?” Then she gains some more composure, “God, what are we going to do with him?”

She goes over to the counter separating the two rooms and bangs on it.

Michael comes up to the counter, rolling his eyes, with Max’s food in his hand. I hadn’t even noticed him working in the kitchen. Maybe I was daydreaming for longer than Maria made it out to be.

“Cool it, Deluca.” He shoots at Maria.

“Oh, go shave your head.” She fires back.

Michael’s hair is always out of control, and Maria is always teasing him about it. Michael always teases her about her fiery attitude, but he pretty much has one just as bad as she does. If you ask me, they’re both relatively insane.

Then again, I am the one having impromptu daydreams.

“Maria,” Michael’s voice is more demanding this time, “Go do inventory. Mr. Parker needs it done by tomorrow morning.”

Hm, I didn’t know that. Maybe Michael just wants to get rid of Maria. He’s done that a few times in the last week, actually. He’ll order her to go and do some mundane job in the back rooms. I don’t know why she listens to him. I never do.

Michael is Max’s best friend. I’ve forbidden Maria from talking about my Max crush anytime Michael is around. She’s got such a loud mouth. But, I’ve still gotta love her.

The front door to the Crashdown opens again, and Isabel Evans and Alex walk in. No one at West Roswell really knows how they got to be a couple. It just sort of happened overnight. They’re the most unusual and the most loved couple in the entire school. They simply fit together. Alex warms Isabel’s icy first impression that she puts on people, and Isabel makes Alex more outgoing around people.

Isabel smiles and she waves at me before going to sit across from Max in the booth. Alex, however, comes up to me. He gives me one of his trademark goofy grins, “Hey, Liz.”

“Hey, Alex.” I smile, “What’s up?”

“Nothing. Isabel and I just got back from seeing a movie, and we decided to stop by and see what was going on.”

“Oh,” I frown, “You weren’t meeting Max here?”

He laughs, “No. Why?”

“I just figured that you guys would have been meeting up, especially since he was here by himself.”

Alex raises an eyebrow at me, “Oh, I see.”

“Alex,” I reprimand him, “Stop it.”

“No, I see how it is.” He teases, “Liz and Max, sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love…”

“ALEX!” I push him, looking over his shoulder to make sure that Max didn’t hear anything, “I am going to murder you!”

“Calm down,” He laughs, “He didn’t even hear me.”

“He could have.” I mutter, even though I know that he’s right.

I grab Max’s plate, “C’mon. Let’s go say hello to Isabel.”

We go over to the table, and Alex slides in next to Isabel, putting his arm around her. I place the plate down in front of Max.

*blink*

“Come here, baby.” Max smiles at me.

I sit down next to him, and nestle into his arms.

He kisses me on the cheek, “Have I ever told you how amazing you are?”

I smile, “A few times. Have I ever told you how amazing you are?”

“A few times,” He laughs.

“What are your plans for tonight?” Isabel asks me from across the booth

*blink*

“What are your plans for tonight?”

I look at Isabel, confused. I guess she’s been talking to me. I plaster on a smile, “I have no idea. Probably sit at home and read a book.”

“Fun.” She smiles at me.

We were never the best of friends, but once Alex and her started dating, we really started hanging out more. Now she’s one of the girls. She hangs out with Maria and me all of the time. It’s so much fun to have three of us, instead of just Maria and me. And did I mention that she’s Max’s sister?

“Where’s Maria?” Isabel looks around.

“In the back room doing inventory,” I shrug.

Isabel frowns, “Isn’t that normally your job?”

I nod, “Yeah, but I guess my dad told her to do it this time.”

She shrugs.

I point over my shoulder, “Can I get you and Alex anything?”

“Uh… some fries?” Isabel looks to Alex.

Alex nods, “Yeah, definitely.”

I laugh, “Okay, coming right up.”

This time, Michael’s not there again. I decide that’s once too many times tonight, and decide to go and find out where he’s been.

*blink*
*blink*

I go through the door in the back room, and…

Maria and Michael are full on making out on the couch. I grin to myself. That means that I am definitely in a daydream right now. I look around, expecting to see Max, but he’s not there. So I decide to go and find him.

He’s out, sitting at the table with Alex and Isabel, just like in reality.

I go right up to him, tap him on the shoulder, and smile, “Can you stand up for a second?”

He nods, looking kind of confused.

He stands, and I wrap my arms around his neck, drawing him in for a kiss. He seems shocked at first, but then his arms come around my waist and he pulls me in closer to him. He kisses me like I’ve never been kissed before – not even in my dreams.

My entire body is tingling, and I feel like every part of me is on fire. My knees go weak and he has to tighten his arms around me to support me.

The kiss dies down, but we still don’t part. We lean our foreheads together, panting. He reaches up and his fingers play with my ponytail.

“Uh… about those fries?” Alex laughs. Isabel slaps him, but Alex keeps cracking up.

*blink*
*blink*
*blink*

Oh my god. Max isn’t going away. Reality isn’t setting in. That means…

“Liz, I didn’t know you had it in you.” Isabel seems impressed, “I knew you liked my brother, I just never knew you had the guts to do anything about it.”

“Oh my god.” I verbalize. My entire body’s tingling, and I can’t tell if it’s from embarrassment or the leftovers from my reaction to that kiss. I pull slightly away from Max.

His darkened eyes narrow in confusion, “Liz?”

“Oh my god.” I repeat, blushing profusely, “I cannot believe I just did that. Oh my god.”

*blink*
*blink*
*blink*

…*blink*…?

Nothing - the dream isn't going away. This really is reality. Oh my god. I might as well melt into the floor. Oh my god. I can’t believe I just made such a fool out of myself. PDS sucks!

I step back from him some more, but he steps forward. I cover my hands with my face, “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

But, before I can finish the sentence, he’s taken my hands into his and is leading them down from my face. He smiles, “Liz, did you mean what you just did?”

“What do you mean?” I ask, completely mortified.

“That kiss was amazing,” He confesses, “I’ve wanted to do that to you since I met you.”

“What?” I gulp, “You have?”

He nods, “Yeah.”

I wrinkle my nose, “You chicken.”

He laughs loudly, “And you haven’t been hiding anything from me?”

“Okay.” I nod, “I guess you’re right.”

“So what are we going to do about it?” He asks.

“I think you should kiss me.” I smirk, my confidence growing by the second. I feel like I could sing it to the world. Max Evans likes me. Max Evans wants to kiss me. Max Evans has liked me for a long time. Max Evans is kissing me…

Wait.

He’s kissing me.

God, I love him kissing me. I can’t believe I let my imaginary singing distract me from Max’s kissing me. Damn, can this man kiss. He’s probably ruined me for life. I’m never going to be able to kiss someone without missing these kisses.

Who the hell am I kidding? I don’t want to kiss anyone else. I just want Max’s kisses.

“Oh my god.” I hear from the back room door. I part from Max, my hands still wrapped around his neck (when did I do that?) and look to the door. Maria’s standing there, with Michael, and her mouth is wide open.

“Hey Maria.” I blush.

She looks between me and Max, “Liz, I think PDS is contagious. There is no way this is happening right now.”

*blink*
*blink*

I laugh, shrugging, “No, I’m pretty sure this is actually happening.” I look back at Max, “And I’m pretty sure I’ve found a cure for PDS, anyways.”

“You have some major explaining to do.” Maria says with her hands on her hips.

I remember her and Michael, “Says the girl who I just saw making out with Michael Guerin. You totally weren’t on the phone with your mom earlier, were you?”

“WHAT?!” Isabel practically screams, entering a fit of hysterical laughter. Alex quickly joins her, and together, they’re practically dying of laughter.

Maria’s blushing profusely, and Max laughs against me. I turn to him, smiling.

He looks down at me, “Liz Parker, will you go out with me tomorrow night?”

“Yes.” I grin, “Most definitely yes.”

“God, it’s about time.” Michael rolls his eyes.

Maria turns to him, fire in her eyes, “He liked her, and you knew, and you didn’t tell me?!”

“You didn’t tell me that she liked him!” he defended himself.

They get into an argument from there, but I tune it out, too entranced by Max’s eyes. The longer I look into them, the darker they get. I get a thrill from it. Before I know it, Maria and Michael have disappeared into the backroom again… probably to attack each other and take out their sexual frustrations. Ew. I don’t know if I want to think about that.

Alex and Isabel quickly leave the café, saying something about Isabel needing to get out before she was scarred for life. I guess they won’t be needing those fries after all.

We start kissing again. This is going to get addictive.

I look and see that Soda Refill Guy is on his way out. By chance, I see my little cricket friend hopping out of the door after him. It looks like I solved two of my problems tonight – and both the solutions weren’t on purpose.

I turn back to Max, and he smirks, “So, what is PDS?”

THE END
Last edited by sprayadhesive on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.