When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

RosDude wrote:I don’t know if this is in the right place and I’m not sure if this is really a cannon question but I’ll ask anyway.

Is it really true that doctor’s can tell your gender based on blood? I know Liz said so it in Blood Brothers, but I’ve never heard anything like that. I’m not sure if it was true or just artistic license used by the writers to find a reason for it to have to be Alex that gave Max blood. Thanks to anyone that can help.

~Chad~
Yes there are noticeable differences between male and female blood... It's been a while I'm pretty sure males have a higher red blood cell count, and if they test for it male blood would have y chromosomes in it that female blood wouldn't have... I'm sure there are more differences too but it's just been too long since my last human bio class.
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Zanity wrote: Yes there are noticeable differences between male and female blood... It's been a while I'm pretty sure males have a higher red blood cell count, and if they test for it male blood would have y chromosomes in it that female blood wouldn't have... I'm sure there are more differences too but it's just been too long since my last human bio class.
I remember watching 'Blood brothers' once with my mother, who taught junior high science for a few years. Her reaction:

"I don't think that they'd really test the blood for hormone levels after a car crash."

:lol: So I think that's another possibility. Testosterone and estrogen are present in blood in measurable quantities, and the levels would be expected to be different for boys and girls.
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Been meaning to throw this out for a while now... does anybody have any good information as to how the pod chamber/granilith chamber were supposed to be laid out? Somehow, the first time I watched Surprise I got the notion that Isabel had to crawl through a hole where her pod had been to get to the Granilith, and I've used that in a lot of my fics. But I'm not so sure anymore.

Any help, including hints on which parts of which episodes are good for getting a sense of the space, would be appreicated! Thanks.

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

Well, I always assumed that they took the Pods later, to clear the entrance to the Granolith (or Granilith...). So, the chamber to the Granolith would have been hidden behind the Pods.

For references you could check Ask Not, Surprise (as you said), Baby It's You, and especially Departure. But I don't think we ever got a clear shot of them entering or exiting the Granolith chamber into the Pods chamber to have the exact layout... hhmmm...

:D

Misha
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
sprayadhesive
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sprayadhesive »

What I got out of it was that the pods were blocking the path to the granolith, so passing through any pod would get you into a short hallwayish part of the cavern, that would lead you into the granolith.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Ok this has always puzzled me.

First was Nasedo one of the two aliens that Michael's 40's character(I think his name was Captain Carver) saw rescue the two sets of aliens from the Army?

If he was than who was the other alien?

Also were they the ones who put the pods and the granolith into that mountain or did the crash do that?
sprayadhesive
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sprayadhesive »

killjoy wrote:Ok this has always puzzled me.

First was Nasedo one of the two aliens that Michael's 40's character(I think his name was Captain Carver) saw rescue the two sets of aliens from the Army?

Also were they the ones who put the pods and the granolith into that mountain or did the crash do that?
I always assumed it was Nasedo and Langley, but there's never anyone who directly says it. I also assumed that the aliens put the granolith and the pods into the mountain, not the crash. If they'd been placed there by the crash, and later discovered by the government, the government would know where the cave was.
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Misha wrote:Well, I always assumed that they took the Pods later, to clear the entrance to the Granolith (or Granilith...). So, the chamber to the Granolith would have been hidden behind the Pods.

For references you could check Ask Not, Surprise (as you said), Baby It's You, and especially Departure. But I don't think we ever got a clear shot of them entering or exiting the Granolith chamber into the Pods chamber to have the exact layout... hhmmm...

:D

Misha
Thanks for the suggestions. I've done some reviews, and here's what I've got so far:

- They do so much cutting away that I think it's really unlikely that either chamber was really connected to each other or to an 'outside of the mountain' on the sound stage. Which makes sense - the original pod chamber was a S1 set, and then they introduced the Granilith in S2, unlikely that they'd be able to build it on adjoining the existing set. So everything is more than a little up in the air from that.

- Isabel definitely does crawl THROUGH the pod at the end of surprise. Not sure how I got the notion that she hadn't.

- Nobody else ever seems to have to do this, and they wouldn't appear to have time for it when racing out of the Granilith chamber in 'Departure'

- So the notion that they managed to 'move the pods out of the way' at some point seems fair enough, and exactly when can be left up to a fic by fic basis, although some consistency for series would be nice.

In the story I've been editing, the bit about Liz getting freaked out by having to crawl through the lefover gunk in the pod is just so good that I'm not going to get rid of it. Taking place a few days after 'end of the world', so that seems alright to go by the Surprise version.

Thanks everybody!

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

killjoy wrote:Ok this has always puzzled me.

Well, the Shapeshifters story has always been a very left in the air thing. We were told by Pierce that four aliens were in the crash, two dead and two alive. He said one escaped and the other spent three years in captivity. Then, we *assumed* that second alien had died in the white room, but Pierce never said what happened to him.

To make matters worse, Pierce does say, "or was it one of the others?", so you can play with any idea that includes any number of shapeshifters, allies or enemies alike. After all, we do have the Skins to account for.

Back in season 1, there was the very strong theory about "Tic Tac", who would have been the alien that we saw in Independence Day, Sexual Healing, and Crazy, who was always eating tictacts after shapeshifting. We never saw Nasedo doing that. For that matter, we are not even sure if Nasedo was the one who sent the signal in Into The Woods, or the one who burnt the picture at the end of Blind Date. We only know for certain that Nasedo had tons of pics of Max -and we also assumed there were pics of the others as well in that box.

Then, we are presented in season 3 with Kal. He did say that he had been put in that ship to protect Max, so it's a safe bet to say that both Kal and Nasedo were in that ship, but there's no way Kal can be "Tic Tac", or could have been around Max and co in season 1 if we are to believe Kal's words: "I haven't shapeshifted in 50 years".

We also assumed that it had been Kal who was left in the white room for three years, and Nasedo who escaped first, though you can play with either one of them staying behind. Nasedo's remark in The White Room, "I know this place intimately. I've already escaped it once" can work for either scenario.

The Pods *were* put there by the Shapeshifters. Otherwise, you can't explain the security mechanism that recognizes Max's hand to let the door open. And that's only one of many things that wouldn't make sense if the Pods had just "crash-landed" in that mountain... ;)

You could read Kathy W's "The Shapeshifter Series" where she goes in extreme detail of what happened after the crash, and she brilliantly ties in the little we did get to see with logical events and plausible theories. :D

Hope any of that helps... I did get a little carried away... and you didn't even ask about how on Earth the Dupes ended in New York...

Misha
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
Jezebel Jinx
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Jezebel Jinx »

Tried to figure this out but I'm getting confused.

How many "species" of aliens were mentioned being on Antar?

Is it the Antarians, Shapeshifters, and Skins? Or were Antarians just a general classification and the Shapeshifters and Skins were the more specific?

As you can see I'm very confused on the classification of aliens on Antar. If someone could help me I'd be so grateful. Thanks.
Sig made by AngelFaith
My Fics
Ships: Bangel~Spuffy~Polar~Jumper~Drifter~X-tremer~Awakened Dreamer~Catfighter~Naley~Rogan~Liason~Chilly~Delena~Sebasthryn~Ezria~Jaylee